FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:
Sarah Palin is telling Tea Partiers they have to pick a party - either Republican or Democrat.
[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/02/18/art.tea.jpg caption="FILE PHOTO: Tea Partiers protested Congress' and Pres. Obama's health care reform efforts back in September."]
Speaking to Republicans in Arkansas, Palin started by praising the Tea Party, calling it a "grand movement" that she loves because it's "all about the people."
But she was quick to say tea party candidates won't win in our two-party system unless they join an established party. No surprise which one Palin thinks they'd be better of with.
Meanwhile there's a new poll that sheds some light on who actually makes up the Tea Party movement.
The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll shows activists are mostly male, rural, college-educated and overwhelmingly conservative.
The survey shows about 11 percent of Americans say they've actively supported the Tea Party either by giving money or going to a rally; and another 24 percent say they favor the movement but haven't taken any actions to support it. That's a total of 35 percent who could be described as Tea Party supporters. Not an insignificant number....
Which is exactly why it could be a problem for the GOP. If the Tea Party movement succeeds in getting candidates on the ballot, they could wind up splitting votes with the Republicans - and ultimately help the Democrats win.
Which is probably why Sarah Palin is asking them to pick a side. Meanwhile not such a great turnout for Palin at that Arkansas event. Reportedly less than half of the lover level seats were occupied in the 18,000 seat hall and the entire upper level was covered in black drapes.
Here’s my question to you: What do you see as the future of the Tea Party movement?
Interested to know which ones made it on air?
The Tea Party movement will continue to grow as more and more Americans reject the overreaching bureaucracy of Washington. For far too long, liberal politicians have been whittling away at our freedom and liberty. From now on, there's an independent force that can brew up conservative power against any challenge to our country's founding principles.
Who really gives a rip about the so-called Tea Party or Sarah Palin? The Tea Party is nothing but angry bunch of middle-age, middle class, dumb, white racists who are mad that an African-American is president of the United States.
David in San Diego writes:
I think it will damage the GOP a little and eventually fizzle out by being absorbed into that party. As I recall, most Republicans who thought term limits were a good idea when campaigning became career politicians after being elected. Earmarks become "meeting the needs of my district." Outsiders lose steam once they use their outrage to get inside.
David in Texas writes:
I fit the profile: college-educated, male, and live in rural Texas. I feel that the tea parties give us a chance to voice our opinion beyond the office of our elected officials. My hope is that the rest of Washington gets the message! Additionally, maybe the liberal left will realize that we can think for ourselves and we do NOT agree with the tax and spend policies that we have seen from Washington.
Marie in Portland, Oregon writes:
The squeaky wheel always gets the grease. That is the nature of the news cycle, but most Americans don't go with candidates on the far right or left. That in itself will lead to the Tea Party's eventual demise.
A. in Sacramento writes:
Fizzle, fizzle, CRASH!