October 16th, 2009

Do you have reservations about getting a swine flu shot?

ALT TEXT

Doses of H1N1 influenza vaccine sit in a basket at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, Illinois. (PHOTO CREDIT: Scott Olson/GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

When it comes to flu season, this year is a two-fer. In addition to the regular old garden variety flu - we have the added worry of swine flu.

Officials now say swine flu has been linked to the deaths of 11 more children in just the last week. 43 children have died from swine flu in the last month. In a normal winter - fewer than 50 children die from the flu in the entire season.

One vaccine maker says children under 10 will likely need two shots of the swine flu vaccine to develop full immunity. Not surprising - since children need two doses of the regular flu vaccine the first time they get it in order to develop full immunity. So have fun with the kids and getting their four flu shots. For adults - it's believed one shot of the swine flu vaccine is enough.

Here in New York, health care workers had been ordered to get vaccinated or face losing their jobs. But today a judge temporarily halted the mandatory vaccinations.

And even though the swine flu is causing what's called widespread disease in 41 states - a lot of people don't plan to get the vaccine. Some say they're concerned about side effects or the safety of it.

The New Yorker reports in an article called "The Fear Factor" that "the anti-vaccine, anti-government and anti-science crowd" has had a big impact on public opinion… even though the odds that a vaccine would make you sicker than the illness itself are "practically zero."

Here’s my question to you: Do you have any reservations about getting a swine flu shot?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

John from Carlsbad, California writes:
Jack, When the government gives the drug companies immunity from any blame if all this goes wrong both criminally and civilly then I have reservations. If it has been tested and is safe, why do the companies need these protections? Makes you think. Makes you think even more that none of the news agencies are reporting this either.

Susi from Tucson writes:
I will not. I do not feel the vaccine is completely safe nor am I confident it will actually prevent the swine flu. I am also one of those 'wacky conspiracy theorists’ who believes the multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical companies are more interested in making more billions than your health.

David from Orlando writes:
None whatsoever. Both my wife and I are heart patients; my wife is a heart transplant candidate. As our regular flu shots didn't bother us, we would be crazy not to protect ourselves. We have friends who are anti-vaccine, but with H1N1 here in our county, we are being very careful of who we associate with. Vaccines all around!

Barb from Arizona writes:
I still remember in the 1970s when the swine flu invaded us. The vaccine was produced so quickly that people died from the vaccine. After 60 days of injecting people, they stopped it. That has to tell you something. I am afraid that has happened this time too, so no I will not get it.

R. from Boston writes:
My husband (a doctor) and I got our regular flu shots 2 weeks ago, no reactions. This week, we got our H1N1 injectable shot, so far no reactions. (Oink, Oink, maybe I spoke too soon.) Last year avian, this year swine, next year monkey? Looks like we are just making pharmaceuticals rich via the fear tactic.

Filed under: Health
  1. Lucy

No, no reservations, but I probably won't get one because I'm even less afraid of catching swine flu than I am of the shot.
    Lucy
    SF, CA

October 15, 2009 at 1:50 pm |
  2. Aaron

The only scary thing about swine flu is the possibility of contracting it!!! This vaccine is no differrent than any other flu vaccine, it just happens that it was developed at a different time of year and therefore is packaged seperately, next year there will be no H1N1 vaccine because it will be assimilated into the normal yearly flu vaccines. This is just worrying over nothing. It's already more deadly than the usual seasonal flu, lets not compound the problem.

October 15, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  3. Flo

The only reservation I have is getting this type of flu or a member of my family getting it.

October 15, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  4. Vladimir Poopen

Yes I do. Haven't had a flu shot in over a decade. Swine Flu is just another flu variant... why is the media trying to scare the public? It did exist in the 70s ya know!! I also do not trust drug companies. Who knows what this vaccine will do to us?!?!

October 15, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  5. RANDY

If someone wants to take it fine, if they don't that is their decision. We are fighting two wars, unemployment, and a bad recession. Why create more problems to talk about.

October 15, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  6. Heather

My daughter contracted H1N1 this past spring. If someone that young and healthy can become so very ill so quickly, and thankfully fully recover, then an old lady like me wouldn't stand a chance. Yes, I'm getting the shot.

October 15, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  7. Carlos Round Rock, Texas

Yes Jack I do. I took the seasonal flu shot and did not feel well for a couple of days. I stocked up on face masks and will not take the swine flu shot at least not until it has been around for a few months and may not even take it then. I remember the last one in the 70's and that one got me real sick. So put me on the no I will not take it list.

October 15, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  8. Kim - Blair, NE

Are the shots covered by insurance?

October 15, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  9. eric -hampton VA

nope no reservations, get the shot and practically zero isn't zero. But the judge is 100% right about mandatory shots for health care workers, its just good common sense.

October 15, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  10. Susan Frost

I once had (and I emphasize "had") a gynecologist who was aggressively pushing estrogen. Fortunately, I refused to take it and a few years later I had estrogen-fueled breast cancer. If I'd taken his advice, I'd be dead and he's still be getting kickbacks from the drug companies. It isn't about being anti-government or anti-science, it's just about knowing that most of the crap doctors prescribe for and inflict upon patients is in their best interest, not ours. It speaks volumes that those nurses in New York have better sense than to take it – they're in a position to know not only where the bodies are buried, but who put them there.

Susan
    Tuscaloosa AL

October 15, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  11. Rob of Brooklyn

hell yes. There's mercury in the mix. And they tell you not to eat fish because of mercury poisoning. And here they want to inject it into your body. Someone's clearly on drugs . I do not trust the FDA, they don't have anyone's best interests at heart. Its all about making you scared enough to buy the damn crap.Its all about money again. They don't care if you sick .

October 15, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  12. Terry, Chandler AZ

I'm 60 years old and I have never been sick a day in my life. No flu, co cold, no sore throat...nothing. I will not get a shot.

October 15, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  13. Blond Rocker

Not really, unless it kills me!
    (from NYC)

October 15, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  14. Lisa, San Jose CA

I would like to get the flu-mist form of the vaccine, because I hold the belief that it gives better coverage for attenuating similar but non-identical strains; as the pandemic progresses I figure the virus is going to spin off some not-quite-identical sub-strains. But I can't get any of the currently limited supply, which (quite rationally) is reserved for kids.
    What is more, I wanted to get flu-mist for the seasonal flu (spaced by 3 weeks so that it can't re-assort with pan-flu live-attenuated vaccine), but I can't find that *anywhere*.

October 15, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  15. Bert

Its a shame Jack but I have a problem putting my complete trust in our government.
    We are talking about injecting something in my body that they tell us is okay?Do we really know what there definition of "okay 'is?I mean we the people have been lied to so many times!We have been guinea pigs before in the field of medicine.Every pill causes some side effect?
    What do you believe and who do you trust anymore?He who believes everything they tell us is sadly mislead.
    No injection for me!

October 15, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  16. Rob - Canada

I am a little hesitant to get the swine flu shot this year. After receiving my regular flu shot last year, I am now told I'm more susceptible to catch the swine flu this year than those that skipped their regular shot last year. Maybe the swine flu shot this year will make me more susceptible to whatever new flu virus shows up next year. Has the lamb flu made an appearance yet? How many flu shots are enough? I keep thinking of the movie: "I am Legend" staring Will Smith. The last man on earth after a pandemic. Maybe he skipped his flu shots.

October 15, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  17. Rick Medina,OH

Jack,

My wife and I have no reservations at all. We've already received the seasonal vaccine, and as soon as we can schedule the H1N1 vaccine, we will. Yes, the vaccines can sometimes make you feel a bit uncomfortable for a day, but that is a small price to pay considering the possible alternative.

Rick, Medina, OH

October 15, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  18. Conor in Chicago

My mom got a vaccine shot in the late 90's, it made her sick for about a week and a half.

In 2006, on her doctor’s orders, she got another flu shot as he felt that she was extremely susceptible to this strain of flu that was ravaging the Las Vegas. She got extremely sick for about two weeks-probably a sick as she would have got had she simply contracted the flu naturally.

Unless what you are battling against is some sort of fatal plague I'd say just take your chances.

October 15, 2009 at 2:09 pm |
  19. Russ in PA

No shot for me; never had one, never intend to get one. It's the flu, for heaven's sakes! Besides, show me the proof that getting one protects us from the flu. Come on, I'm waiting...

October 15, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  20. Jennifer - Winnipeg

I was given a flu shot as a child. I had a very bad allergic reaction to it and as a result have never taken another one. I haven't had anything even resembling the flu for over 40 years. But even if I were a regular flu shot taker, I would have reservations about this swine flu shot. Mainly because it has been put together so very quickly and is not tried and true. I think a lot of people might fear the 'unknown' and probably won't get this shot until it has some kind of track record.

October 15, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  21. Terry from North Carolina

Jack
    In todays world I have reservations about going into a doctors office or a hospital, never mind getting a swine flu shot.

October 15, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  22. ej in Tacoma

I've been in the Health business a long time and seen these scare tactics before get this shot or else. Kind of like the Army mandating anthrax vaccine and other vaccinations to their people before deployment some get sick from the vaccine itself. Some can not take this flu shot due to allergies or other private issues.The flu is already here I think we should be allowed to make up our own minds what is best for our families and ourselves after all we don't want to seem to militaristic. I am given the option at my place of employment I wear a mask and gloves with each patient.
    E.J in Tacoma

October 15, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  23. pat

none whatsoever.I'd rather live thank you!

October 15, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  24. Susan from Twin Falls Idaho

Jack I'm over the hill like you. The medicos say we have immunity.

October 15, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  25. Danny Mckinney, Texas

The fact is swine flu is an influenza virus. All influenza viruses are the same. The process for making the vaccine for the seasonal flu is exactly the same, so the predicted side effects of the swine flu vaccine are the same as those for any other flu vaccines. Any chance of side effects are extremely low but could occur so taking the Swine Flu shot should be a personal choice and not something forced by the government. To give you an example Jack, I am allergic to Aspirin and it makes me go into anaphylaxis shock. Most people can take aspirin with absolutely no problem. I just happen to be an exception and the same applies to the Flu shot if you happen to be the exception. Once it is injected there is no getting it out.

October 15, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  26. Frank from Peterborough

Before I had any reservations about getting swine flu if I was an American citizen I would have more concern over the 30 Senators (so called law makers) voting against legislation to prevent a government employed Corporation from concealing and condoning the gang rape of a 19 year old woman.

October 15, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  27. Chris from NC

No way, Jack!!! At the rate people are getting sick and being hospitalized or dying after catching the virus, I'd take a sore arm over that any day.

October 15, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  28. Melissa

No. Better to get it than not.

October 15, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  29. Kenneth Kohlmann

All my reservations would disappear as soon as I see Mr. Obama and his family roll up their sleeves on live TV and get their Flu and Swine Flu shots.

October 15, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  30. David-Natchez,MS

I have already taken the seasonal flu shot but am going to wait for the guinea pig results to come in before getting the swine flu shot.

October 15, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  31. Randy from Salt Lake City

There is no frigg'in way I'm getting injected with mercury, squaline, live cancer cells and other toxic crap -especially when there is not one ounce of proof that it's effective against -anything. It's just another money making sceme of Big Pharma who bribe WHO and the CDC officials into endorsing it.

October 15, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  32. Alex in Seattle

No, I don't, Jack. Thanks to government run health care I'll soon get my flu shots at the VA. It is amazing that parents who couldn't pass high school algebra think they know more than the doctors. Our lead in science and technology is being undermined as more and more home-schooled anti-science Luddites come of age.

October 15, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  33. Lance, Ridgecrest, Ca

Jack, nope, no reservations here. I just wish I could find someplace to get one. In case you haven't noticed our government has not gotten the vaccine out anywhere and the flu is already in full swing. Unfortunately, my wife and I, because we are seniors with underlying health conditions, are only like number 5 on the priority list, we probably won't see a swine flu shot anytime soon, if at all. This is a PERFECT example of what happens and what WILL happen when all health care is under government control. We can hardly wait!

October 15, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  34. Doug - Dallas, TX

Can't get it until it's available but since I already had the h1n1 virus this year, probably not.

October 15, 2009 at 2:32 pm |
  35. Michelle, San Francisco

Swine flu shot or any flu shot, I never take them. I think they (government & pharmaceutical cos.) blow the flu situation year after year, out of proportion. I am not sure if they do this out of profit or for the pleasure to scare people. They assure us that 'it is safe' but I for one, do not trust either one of them.

October 15, 2009 at 2:33 pm |
  36. Don Druker

Of course not. I've received anti-flu vaccinations regularly almost since they've been giving them and, as a consequence, have never been incapacitated by any strain of flu.

October 15, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  37. Randy from Salt Lake City

Hey Jack, if the vaccine is so safe and effective, why did our congress pass a law this past summer shielding the drug companies who are making these vaccines from lawsuits? And how come most nurses in the UK refuse to get the toxic jab?

October 15, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  38. Jon in Hartford

I have no reservations about getting a flu shot. However, I did have to make a revservation to get one.

October 15, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  39. Dan, Chantilly VA

Someone in my apartment complex was putting pamphlets under people's windshield wipers all about how the swine flu vaccine would cause a pandemic worse the swine flu itself. They were putting paper pamphlets on cars on a rainy day. That's about all I needed to know.

October 15, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  40. SC Mom

Absolutely! Since there are so many MILD cases reported,
    perhaps I'll just take my chances!

October 15, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  41. Jackie in Dallas

Some reservations, yes. Am I still going to get it? Probably. With no healthcare benefits and no paid time off, I'm financial dead if I get sick and possibly dead (I have asthma so am more at risk) if I don't get the vaccine. I AM making sure I get the single-dose version of the vaccine without thimeraol.

October 15, 2009 at 2:44 pm |
  42. Bizz, Quarryville, Pennsylvania

One time everyone was worried and mad at the gov't for not having a vaccine available for the swine flu. Now that we have one I think people should take it, especially people who work in the medical field that are around patients. It would be the same thing as having to wear a safety helmet and safety glasses on a construction site.

October 15, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  43. David

I believe that the risk of not getting a shot is greater that the risk of getting the shot. They said this shot is made with the same technique as the regular flu vaccine, so it should not be any more dangerous than the regular flu vaccine. It also seems that pregnant women and young children are at high risk with this disease. I think they need the shots more than most people, but I think everyone should get the shot, so you don`t spread it to other people. People need to be a little selfless when thinking of others.

October 15, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  44. BOB WHITE, Kansas

No, no reservations! And in my community it is customarily free but with limited supplies that may be in question this year.

October 15, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  45. aidanfoley

Yes, I've decided not to get the flu this year. 🙂

Aidan of Mesa, AZ

October 15, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  46. marlene

No Jack, I don't have any reservations about the H1N1 shots, just no job, so no money = no shot. Marlene in Mich

October 15, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  47. Ken

Jack, why should anyone have reservations about what will be a mandated vaccine requirement in some circles in the U.S. After all, this was annointed a pandemic when 25 people in Mexico City died and 0 in the U.S. had died. If this doesn't raise a flag, you have either no common sense or are a robot.
    Regular flu kills 27,000 people yearly in the U.S. and you don't hear talk of a regular flu pandemic. If you follow the money, who will benfit from this "pandemic"? The rich drug corporations of course. Has anybody even asked or know what are the side or long term affects of the vaccine? Here we go again, scare the ignorant masses and they will open their pocket books, close their minds and let themselves be injected with drugs.

October 15, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  48. David from Northern Virginia

Yeah. I can't help but worry - one day I hear how autism rates have spiked from 1 in 150 to 1 in 100, and the next day you hear the FDA assuring us this vaccine is safe because it's made just like all the other ones. Sorry, I don't buy it. I'd want to see years of data before I'll allow my children to receive this drug.

October 15, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  49. Vinnie Vino

Jack,

When I see President Obama and his family, along with other top government officals, at the head of the line to receive the H1N1 flu shot is when I'll consider getting the shot myself, how about yourself and the Wolfster...

Vinnie Vino
    Central Islip, N.Y.

October 15, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  50. Roger in Kansas

Has it escaped everyone that seniors are loosing thier SS increase this year and their major monthly expense, drug costs, are skyrocketing? I don't hear anyone talking about this issue.

October 15, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  51. Don (Ottawa)

What! I don't have a death wish Jack, nor do I think this is a conspiracy to kill conservatives. I'll take my chance with the shot.

October 15, 2009 at 3:02 pm |
  52. roger

I don't take flu shots! The first 4 (out of 20) years I was in the military, I had to take flu shots- worst 4 cases of the flu I ever had. Ended up in the hosp twice. Had the shot once after that ( about 25 years later) and missed a weeks work. I use a home remedy that stops me from having flu- those were the only times in the last 48 years I got flu!

October 15, 2009 at 3:05 pm |
  53. Ram Riva -- Calexico, CA

Yes we do...
    We don't know if the virus is dormant, at the time we're vaccinated
    Secondary efects can be unpredictable and deadly with a dormant virus
    Need to wait and learn more...

October 15, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  54. Dave, Brooklyn, NY

You betcha! Given the past performance of my government over the last 8-9 years and how much it has done for me (read: to me), whenever it tells me something is good for me, I have more reservations than a popular restaurant at its peak dinner hour.

October 15, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  55. Judy Justin

Yes I have reservations about the swine flu shot. I don't want to be a swine flu tester. It's bad enough we are dealing with this virus, I don't want to risk some sort of mutation effect. I wouldn't mind having spiderman like powers but that's highly unlikely. I will try to wait atleast 2 months to get the shot and be on the look out for any reactions from the millions that will get it. I'm writing from Clifton NJ.

October 15, 2009 at 3:11 pm |
  56. Greg, Ontario

NO..that is what we pay doctors and scientists for. It's like when I trust you to tell me the truth Jack. Should I be questioning every little thing you say? The doctors and research people that look into these things are highly educated and very well trained. My doctor agrees with what they say, why would I have reservations?

October 15, 2009 at 3:14 pm |
  57. Ann from Hampton, New Jersey

This vaccine has not been tested enough for me to take it. Other medicines were okayed but later found to have adverse affects on our health. I was given Vioxx as a prescription and each day a headache increased and was advised to take extra strength Tylenol immediately. We have since found out that Vioxx creates heart attacks
    and has been taken off the market. I just find it hard to believe that parents are actually allowing their children to take it. Enough said.

October 15, 2009 at 3:17 pm |
  58. Barton Foley, Missoula MT

I don't personally have any reservations and I can't say I understand to well those who do. Far from being some kind of phenomena, however, I think its natural for some segment of any population to harbor fear or paranoia about anything they don't fully understand, especially something as delicate as injecting a live virus or virus components into their bodies.

I will say this, and it's not my personal opinion; the contents of a vaccine preparation are harmless to a healthy human being. They are severely weakened – or destroyed – versions of viruses. You body will eliminate them and then do the same to their larger, wild cousins. That's the point.

October 15, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  59. RJ from Lake,MI

Yup, sure do, I`ll let all the guinie pigs take the shot, I haven`t been sick with the flu since the last time I got a flu shot in the service back in 88. Nope I`ll pass. By the way I have a 2 year old yes Jack 2 that has never been sick either so I`m not keen on pumping him up with an unknown!

October 15, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  60. Bert, Iowa City

I haven't had a flu vaccination since I was in grade school in the sixties and, like a lab rat, was administered an experimental drinkable oral vaccination from a little paper cup. A half hour later I threw it up. Guess that's a sure way to make sure it gets into your nasal cavity.

By the way, whatever happened to the Avian influenza pandemic and the 100 million doses produced by a company that Donald Rumsfeld was heavily invested in? It's just another scam to enrich a few drug companies.

October 15, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  61. Gina

I have a 4 year old who is in the CDC's recommended age group to receive the vaccine. I was against getting my child vaccinated because I didn't want to find out that there were serious long term side effects later on. But all the media coverage and CDC comments lately have convinced me to change my mind. So I called my pediatrician today and here is the kicker, there are no vaccine's available, haven't been and won't be for some time so what's the point?

Gina
    Broomall

October 15, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  62. RJ from Lake,MI

Its a money maker, you know it and I know it. Even the common flu shot is effective against 3 or 4 different viruses and the chances of you getting one of those is slim to nill with the thousands of different strains! Its a money maker and not much more!

October 15, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  63. Peg from NY

Totally!

October 15, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  64. Katiec Pekin, IL

None whatsoever.
    We cannot expect miracles overnight and this may not be. But, if
    it will help than what's the harm?
    Swine flu seems to be increasing and we must do everything we
    can to not allow it to become an epidemic.

October 15, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  65. Ray Kinserlow

No, I have no reservations. The scientific evidence that the risks associated with taking a flu shot are outweighed by the benefits is overwhelming.

Ray Kinserlow
    Lubbock, Texas

October 15, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  66. K

This vaccine was created in haste which makes me question the safety of it. Where are the concrete tests that prove this vaccine is safe. No way will I get this shot even though I am considered at risk due to my underlying health issues.

October 15, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  67. Michael and Diane Phoenix AZ

October 15, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  68. Lou from North Carolina

yes and probably won't since i am neither pregnant nor a child.

October 15, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  69. Pablo in Arlington Texas

Dear Jack
    what is this Spago's? Now we have to make reservations!
    Seriously, I am not too concerned. My generation is pretty much immune to H1N1 due to years of being vaccinated when swine flu was included in the composite vaccine.
    To those who are panicked by the Luddite League, relax. It's as safe a vaccine as any. What the hell, Give it a shot!
    Pablo
    Arlington Texas

October 15, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  70. Granny in SC

Yes I do. Remember those Thalidamide babies?
    I'm worried about any side effects since it hasn't been around long enough to be tested out.

October 15, 2009 at 3:42 pm |
  71. Diane Dagenais Turbide

I got the regular flue shot myself only one year in all my life! Kids here never got two shots of the regular flue shot. In fact, a friend expressed to me that their doctor did express at the time that the regular flue shot had very small effect to children....now that you tell us kids needs two shots it confirms what this doctor did say at the time.

The problem is H1N1 seem quite different since it affects young children. Now, I do not know by now if it affects young adults in school and healthy adults.

The priority here seems to be pregnant women and people with vulnerable immune system such as asthma.

So far, when I see president get their shot!

Seriously, I will get the shot in order to protect myself and anyone I come in contact with that may have a vulnerable immune system!

Also, since H1N1 affects lungs, we need to get the shot to make sure our hospitals are not overloaded with sick people!

October 15, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  72. pat

no. none whatsoever!

October 15, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  73. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

None at all Jack. We're not getting one.

October 15, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  74. Sig, Davenport, IA

Get vaccinated! If you have watched the news and read the paper, I can't think of a reason that anyone would not get vaccinated. That it, unless you are invinsible. The more people that get vaccinated, the less chance there is of an epidemic.

October 15, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  75. Brady from Upland, IN

I'm a sophomore at Taylor University in Upland, Indiana, and once the swine flu shot becomes available here, I plan on getting one. Two other people live in my room, forty other people live on my floor, and 2,000 other people live on this campus. College campuses are prime targets for sickness, and I plan on doing what I can to keep from getting sick and getting other people sick.

October 15, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  76. Alex from Maine

Of course I do. What's next? Shots every time the common cold comes around the neighborhood? I'll let my immune system take care of me, thanks.

October 15, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  77. Susan Herbst

Jack,

I never did the flu shot and probably won't do the swine flu shot either simply because it doesn't really have the proven record that it works. Too new a product to be the gennie pig.

Stay away from the confined envirmant with a group of people from everywhere on the map. When the germs mixed together, they know how to empower themselves and aim to kill.

Take care Americans.

Susan
    Corona, CA

October 15, 2009 at 3:49 pm |
  78. Jim

Jack,

I haven't had any kind of flu for 20 years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Jim
    Reno, Nevada

October 15, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  79. Jack - Lancaster, OH

Jack:

I don't even have a reservation for the H1N1 sniffable or injectible. I can say when it comes to medicine, all my reservations are on the table.

October 15, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  80. Brian - Trinidad

Yes, I have reservations for a trip to Mexico in December.

October 15, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  81. Jack CArlson

NO ! I recall 1976 and the deaths at that time.
    The Gov't today is much worse.
    Jack C
    WA

October 15, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  82. SCOTT ROSE --- PANAMA CITY, FL

Jack, I have no reservations at all about the h1n1 shot. it is even more unfortunate that many health care professionals are misinformed about the risks involved in the shots. if the strain had appeared 6 months earlier it would have been included in the normal annual flu shots widely available, just timeing. not much fear about those shots and the preperation of the h1n1 vaccine is identical as the annual flu shots.

October 15, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  83. Jeffrey Venner

I generally am one that does not "buy" into the hype. I have no plans on getting swine flu shots or any other shots, for that matter. I have never received a flu shot and don't feel a need now, either. Wash your hands several times a day and you will be fine. The media eats this stuff up and I have always found it humorous, quite frankly!

Jeff (Columbia,SC)

October 15, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  84. ed in ri

Jack;
    The mainstream media has been on a rampage lately about lining up and getting the shot. CVS has a commercial for swine flu shots, and getting a $100 coupon book. I've been on the planet a long time, and can't ever remember a campaign such as this.
    Conclusion: "Something wrong in Denmark."

October 15, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  85. Jackie in Dallas

Some reservations, yes.

Am I still going to get it? Probably. With no healthcare benefits and no paid time off, I’m financial dead if I get sick, and possibly dead (I have asthma so am more at risk) if I don’t get the vaccine. I AM making sure I get the single-dose version of the vaccine without thimeraol.

October 15, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  86. Steve, Clifton, VA

Yes I do, but I have greater reservations about getting the swine flu....

Steve
    Clifton, VA

October 15, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  87. Jeff Crocket in New Britain, CT

Nope, Don't get one like my doctor suggested! VA doctor too!! He just gave me the regular Flu shot!! Said I was fine!!

October 15, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  88. Robert Guerrero III

I am healthy and active, but I don't think that I will get the shot. I stay at home mostly so that limits my contact with the public.

October 15, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  89. John from Alabama

Jack: I want both regular and swine flu shots. Swine flu is dangerous and is present within the borders of the United States. I am disappointed that I will have to wait until the first of November before I can get the swine flu shot. Those who do not want the shot can play Russian roulette, but not me. I did my dissertation on the history of the last pandemic of 1918. Millions of people died. Enough siad!!!

October 15, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  90. Anne -- Sulphur, LA

I'm having more problems finding someplace in my area that will take my insurance for the shot than problems with the idea of taking the shot.

October 15, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  91. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Theres no reservations in texas because there are no vaccines to be taken it seems to be in verry short supply with no secure promise of a date when it will be.

October 15, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  92. Ed from the Four Corners

Yes, I am concerned and I am not getting the vaccine. I believe this is another fear driven hoax by big pharm to simply up their profits. If one pays attention to the toxic ingredients in these vaccines, they would never have this junk put into their body.

October 15, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  93. Ken in NC

Well if you weigh the risk Jack, it’s a no brainer. I could get the shot and some side effect could kill me. I could get the shot, walk out of the doctors office and get hit by a Mack truck or I could go to sleep tonight and forget to wake up in the morning. Three potentials that all have the same results so I guess I’ll take the shot.

October 15, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  94. Ed

I do not have reservations for getting the swine flu shot, in fact I thought it was going to be mandatory with big brother beating down the refusers. I'll take my chances with the cold over a shot of mercury, you never get rid of mercury.

October 15, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  95. Jan from NJ

Yes and no. I think I will turn it down because at age 58 , I may already have the antibodies since I lived thru 2 previous epidemics of it. But, if my doctor insisted, because I have diabetes, I would have to think about it. They really did rush it through and I think I would rather give the shot to someone who really has a chance to get the disease.

October 15, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  96. AndyZ Lynn, MA

I have far more reservations about dying from the swine flu than getting the flu shot.

October 15, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  97. John, Fort Collins, CO

A swine flu shot appears to be advisable for children and at-risk adults, but I don't see why healthy medical workers should be forced to take the shot to keep their jobs. Anyone with flu symptoms is going to stay home, eliminating risk for their patients. If they choose to increase the risk to themselves and end up spending a day or two praying to the comode that is their business.

October 15, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  98. Alveta, Maryland

This sounds to me that these so called medical people are crazy, there is not enough evidence to convince me to take anything that the MEDICAL INDUSTRY has to offer. It's just to make sure there is a lot of diseases in the furture to keep the Drs & Pharmaceutical people in business for long time to come.

October 15, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  99. Annie, Atlanta

Not at all. But my kids will be first on my list, since their age group seems more susceptible.

October 15, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  100. Mike from Denver

I would not call it a reservation, more like a flat out objection. Swine flue is no more leathal than other strands, and most do not get vaccinations. What is the big deal? Are we just trying to help the pharmeceutical companies?

October 15, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  101. Wm, Penna

Jack,
    Less reservations than one has taking a ride in a car. 44 thousand US citizens are killed in auto accidents every year. Many more are injured. We all know people who were injured in car wrecks. Very few of know any who had a reaction to a flu shot. They do happen but 5,000 will die of food poisoning this year and we are all going to eat something today, some too much.

October 15, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  102. Remo from beautiful downtown Pflugerville, Tx.

I'll wait and see what the Obama's do.

October 15, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  103. Adam Simi Valley, CA

I don't have reservations about the swine flu vaccine in particular. I just hate getting sick from a shot, and the swine flu is actually milder than the regular flu, so there is no way I am going to get it.

October 15, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  104. Esther Ohio

Hell Yes I have Reservations of getting this shot! Makes me skeptable for taking it when the experts have quoted that more people will die this year from the flu they state 90,000 will die this flu season. I think that is going to be more like 10 times that. I just have a funny feeling that it is going to be from bad reactions to the vaccine. Sorry call me a conspiracist or a nut job. I will take my chances without your shot and if I expire it will be from my own hand and not the hand of those who I would say want to harm us.

can you believe your network spent over an hour with the hoax of the balloon. waste of time and energy spent on publicity stunt of fame seekers makes me sick. now put my name up on the screen and let me have my 10 seconds of fame

October 15, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  105. Danny Mckinney, Texas

Jack what makes you think there will even be enough Swine flu shots available should everybody voluntarily want one? The damn CDC does not even know how many doses it has or if it will have enough and none of it is even made in this country just packaged here. The swine Flu shot comes from China where most of our money comes from now.

October 15, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  106. Pete - Augusta Ga

Jack –

Lets see ..... the US Government is 'requiring' certain segments of the population have the shots (another government mandate), large phamaceutical companies are promoting the programs (huge revenue stream & profits for them), & some of the vaccine is being imported from off-shore manufacturers (won't tell us how much). Three pretty good reasons to have some reservations.

October 15, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  107. Michael, Alexandria, VA

Jack, I wish I had a reservation for a flu shot about 3 weeks ago, since my wife was exposed last week and we were both under the weather earlier this week. If what we were feeling was something else or just a precursor, then I really wish we had already gotten the shot. The sad fact is, if you live in the DC area and you weren't vaccinated last week, it is already too late.

October 15, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  108. Mari, Salt Lake City, Utah

Yes, Jack, I am not certain it is safe. Too many drugs are OK'd by the FDA and end up being pulled off the market for killing people. I will take my chances.

October 15, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  109. Kim Smith, Dodge City, Kansas

The FDA can't even regulate food safety, why would this be any different?

October 15, 2009 at 4:42 pm |
  110. Judy, Exeter, Calif,

As a 64 year old, I don't take any medications, and I'm doing just fine. II will carry my hand purifier, wash my hands frequently, and stay away from crowded areas. I think my immune system is pretty good, but you never know. Wish me luck

October 15, 2009 at 4:49 pm |
  111. lynne from NC

Yep. Each time I think about a medication from the government, I think about the Tuskeegee Experiments where black men were used as guinea pigs in medical research of syphillis. So with this flu shot, it makes me wonder about what is actually in this stuff.

October 15, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  112. GWTripp in Pennsylvania

The last time around, when Gerald Ford was President, my Mom took the swine flu shot and was paralyzed for several months because of it. That was a one in a million event. I believe that the CDC is trying their very best and I will trust their judgment. If they advise us to get a swine flu shot, then that is that.

October 15, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  113. Donna Colorado Springs,Co

I.m not afraid of getting the shot. I just don't know if my age group is elegible or not. I'm 60 and in good health. I think that the h1n1 flu has more serious side effects than anything you could get by not getting the shot!

October 15, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  114. Henya CA

Not at all

October 15, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  115. patricia

Not worried at all, Jack.
    I've never had a flu shot, but seeing my students getting sick–one right after the other–I'm not willing to risk it.

Boise

October 15, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  116. Pete----Il.

Just give it to the pigs, since they are the ones passing it around!!!!

October 15, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  117. Ronald Holst

Only If The person giving Me the shot already has the Swine Flu .
    Ronald
    San Antonio . TX

October 15, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  118. david doherty

Yes, it scares me when something like this is rushed to market, the odds might be small, but what if something goes wrong with the vaccine. It's not like the drug companies never get it wrong, even when their not rushed we are continuely hearing about drugs being recalled due to adverse side effects.

Dave from NH.

October 15, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  119. Delia

Never had a flu shot, never will. If it kills me - good! No job and no money!!!!

DELIA
    KATY, TX

October 15, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  120. Tom from Philly

I have more reservations about america giving its children such a fast and furious series of immunizations. While each has been proven safe individually, that doesnt mean every child can had a series of multiple shots. Hello autism how are you today.

October 15, 2009 at 5:46 pm |
  121. Bob - Rawson Argentina

Absolutely none!!

Back in the 70's, when I had my first overseas job, I go over ten shots in one clinic visit to prepare for my assignment. I got shots for Yellow Fever, Plague, and just about any other sickness you could imagine and I lived to tell the tale. Of course I elected to get five in each arm to maintain a proper pain balance but there were no problems other than the fact that at the end of the line I passed out. :>)

It seems that in these times we fear more than at any time in our past. I just have to ask why??

October 15, 2009 at 5:46 pm |
  122. Barb - Arizona

I still remember 1978 when the Swine Flu invaded us. The vaccine was produced so quickly that people died from the vaccine. After 60 days of injecting people they stopped it. That has to tell you something. I am afraid that has happened this time too – so No I will not get it.
    I believe that I am one of many who feel this way and it is a shame that Americans have lost faith in our Government.
    QUESTION: Jack, did you get the vaccine?

October 15, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  123. Barbara NY

I have no reservations at all about getting a Swine Flu shot. I'm NOT getting it.

October 15, 2009 at 5:53 pm |
  124. Lisa, San Jose CA

Caffertyfile producers, you should get Sanjay to review these responses, there's a representative cross-section of flu-myths in here that he should probably address.

October 15, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  125. vern-anaheim,ca

jack,i just received my yearly regular flu shot today and am not afraid to get the swine flu shot if my doctor recommends i do

October 15, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  126. Dale in Huntsville, Alabama,

No, I don't have any qualms or fears about getting influenza shots at all - and anyone who does is being completely unscientific and rather dim. Millions of people get influenza shots year after year with no problems. including me.

My only restriction is that being an adult between the ages of 50 and 55 - there are millions and millions of people with higher priorities for getting influenza vaccinations this year.

DAW

October 15, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  127. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I don't care if they line me up against a wall and threaten to shoot me, I refuse to take any flu shot.

October 15, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  128. Nan in Nevada

No, I have absolutely NO reservations about getting vaccinated for H1N1 flu. I have gotten a flu shot every year since 1984 and swear by them. I make my living doing epidemiology and would be an absolute fool not to get the vaccine, if it becomes available to me. Yes Yes Yes, I will get vaccinated when and if I can!!!!! This is a new and potentially very serious strain of flu.

October 15, 2009 at 6:42 pm |
  129. Lisa

I try my best not to buy anything that was tested on an animal. I feel that that is wrong. I don't care if it is mandated by the government or not–God still sees that it is wrong (and I'm not religious). Do you feel that God intended that his llittle creatures be used in this way? That their little livesbe taken from them? There are reapacussions for this. Just think of what they might be, and you'll want to stop funding these things as well.

October 15, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  130. C.K. of Colorado

Just the fact that I'll be injected with a live virus. Scare you much?

October 15, 2009 at 6:49 pm |
  131. David in Raleigh, NC

No. I don't trust our government enough.

October 15, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  132. Clark

why not try answering the specific concerns of the populace? Don't just tell people it is safe. Tell them why it doesn't destroy a person's immune system. Tell them how squalene has been proven to be safe. Tell them what questions have been raised about adjuvants in the past and how those questions have been scientifically answered.

October 15, 2009 at 7:19 pm |
  133. Cheryl

Yes, but it has nothing to do with the dangers of getting it. I think the swine flu has been hyped to this extent just to provide a bonanza to big pharma. Much ado about nothing – all designed to part you with your money.

October 15, 2009 at 7:22 pm |
  134. David in San Diego

My internist's office doesn't require a reservation–you can just walk in. Oh, you didn't mean that. No, I have to undue concern, and my wife and I will both get the vaccine when it becomes generally available.

October 15, 2009 at 7:40 pm |
  135. JD In NH

No. The injection is a dead virus and can't make you sick.

October 16, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  136. Larry D

Jack,

I plan to get it although I am a heart transplant reciepent cant get the live vaccine only the non-active one and once my doc say its ok I will I am not afraid , My Immune system is impared and I need the shot to protect me but like I said Iam not gonna let the media scare me. Some people I spoke with say it last 3 days thats only if you have a strong immune system but it paralyzes you unlike regular flu I am getting my seasonal flu in two weeks:)

Albany ny

October 16, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  137. Deb n Texas

I never get flu shots, I am 53 years old and the only medicine I take is one baby aspirin a day. I think the reason why so many people are ill today is because of the meds they are so eager to take. I choose to eat healthy foods and exercise – I do have one problem and that is SMOKING.

October 16, 2009 at 1:38 pm |
  138. Nancy, Grand Ledge,MI

I don't trust them at all when it comes to vaccinations. My son had a reaction to his second hepatitis B vaccine. They kept telling me that his problem couldn't be caused by the shot. The shot was VERY safe.
    But after twelve days in the hospital, every test they could think of, and a visit from many different specialists, they finally admitted that it must have been the vaccination!! If there is a possible problem with the swine flu vaccine, they don't want us to know about it!!!

October 16, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  139. JENNA

Do you have any reservations about getting a swine flu shot?

I want the shot for my family and I can't get it.

No doctors have it here yet.

Those who don't want it, great, more for those who want it!

Jenna
    Roseville CA

October 16, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  140. a.c. of La.

No I am not afraid of the H1n1 shot, but I will get the reg flu shot first.

October 16, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  141. Lori - PA

October 16, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  142. vern-anaheim,ca

jack,i had my regular yearly flu shot yesterday and would not be afraid to get a swine flu shot if my doctor advised me to

October 16, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  143. Michael, Kansas City, Missouri

No! I am currently unemployed, as is my wife, I am a type-B diabetic with no health insurance coverage, who is at least two-months behind on my bills, and month behind on my rent. Swine flu is the very least of my worries!

October 16, 2009 at 2:32 pm |
  144. Amanda Walton

I absolutely refuse for myself or my children to get the H1N1 virus with how little is known about the vaccine or the virus itself. I've been done a month of research to post my own findings and there is not one pro I have found to have it. Yes people have died from the swine flu and that's always a tragedy, the only obvious pro to it, but they need to know 'why' these people died, why it affected more deaths in Mexico and of Aboriginal peoples in Canada the other ethnic groups.

Today I read they now have two vaccines, one for the 'high risk' group of side effects and one for the 'normal' .. since when did this happen, everyday there is something new and conflicting. Something is seriously wrong with this picture and the health organizations who are so determined for everyone to get a vaccine. I don't hear this much urging during the normal flu season, something I was hospitalized for years back and had pneumonia and I was a healthy young woman of 38.

I refuse for myself and my children to be human guinea pigs to a vaccine on a virus they still don't know enough about.

I

October 16, 2009 at 2:34 pm |
  145. Heath in Missoula, Montana

I am as undecided as it gets, Jack. I am usually of the opinion that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger; but, I don't want to be responsible for getting sick & passing H1N1 on to anybody else. When it comes to my kids, I think it is a good idea.

October 16, 2009 at 2:37 pm |
  146. linell, Winter Park, FL

No, but my doctor tells me the CDC (or whoever doles them out) decided not to dispense them to nursing homes...

October 16, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  147. Denny from Tacoma, WA

I do not have any reservations about getting a swine flu shot but I do have reservations about the ability to get one in a timely fashion.

October 16, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  148. luci - Peoria, Il.

No I'm not worried, I will get mine as soon as they receive them.
    Why take the chance of getting the h1n1 flu?
    Are you getting one Jack?

October 16, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  149. Sam Pendergrass/Scappoose Oregon

Jack I am a disable veteran on a social security income, of course I trust our government not to give me something that might shorten my life span or get me off the rolls.

October 16, 2009 at 3:27 pm |
  150. Eric from Toronto

Yes, Jack, I have a reservation on November 3rd at my doctor's office. Kidding aside, for a given situation humans have a tendency to remember and focus on unusual events, no matter how rare, and forget about the millions of mundane ones. (For example, many people are more worried about dying in a terrorist attack than in a car accident, but the latter is much more likely to happen.) This combined with complacency about serious disease after 200 years of vaccination has led to a situation where the risks get overblown and the benefits are diminished in many people's eyes. I'm more worried about the flu than the shot.

October 16, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  151. Tina Tx

Nope just got a seasonal flu shot and hope that holds off the swine flu. If not I will trot my happy self into the overflowing emergency room

October 16, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  152. Jay in Texas

Yes, but since I am a 54 year old male, there probably won't be any of these shots available for me to take anyway in the foreseeable future.
    Brownwood, Texas

October 16, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  153. Mark

Of course not.....as long as I see President Obama, his wife and both daughters getting one live on CNN.

October 16, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  154. DON IN WESTPORT, MASS.

Don't get the shot. They are injecting tracking devices into your body to watch us. Its a conspiracy.

October 16, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  155. AndyZ Lynn, MA

Getting a swine flu shot or not is predicated by age and health. I have many health issues so my likelyhood of having six of my friends carrying me in a box, to a hole in the ground and going off to toss back a few brews in my honor goes up exponentially if I do not receive the flu shot. So yes I will get the shot and I have no concerns.

October 16, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  156. Terry, Chandler AZ

I donb't have reservations at all. In fact I suggest every person should get the vaccination. Not me though. I'm 60 years old and have never been sick. No flu. No sore throat. No mumps or measles. No colds. Nothing! I don't need a flu shot.

October 16, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  157. The Broker.

I wouldn't have one these days. You have no idsea what they inject into your blood. "Swine Flue" May make a guinea pig out of you...

October 16, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  158. Jerry Alpharetta, GA

The swine flu vaccine is developed by government scientist, manufactured under contract to the government and dispersed by the government. Hmmmmmm, NO THANKS!

October 16, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  159. Sharman, Richmond, In

When they are telling us that it's a pandemic, why in the world would anyone not get the shot? Can you say Russian roulette?

October 16, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  160. HD in Phoenix, AZ

Not if it will keep me from having to be tracheally intubated and placed on full ventilatory life support.

HD in Phoenix, AZ

October 16, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  161. Steve Canada

I just went thru a "minor" bout of the flu. It was not the H1N1 flu, and it was terrible. If getting a shot can even remotely guard against a repeat of last week...YES YES YES...only a complete idiot that can have one would turn it down...

October 16, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  162. John

Jack

John
    Carlsbad, CA

October 16, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  163. Darren

I didn't know we needed reservations to get the H1N1 flu shot. Who do I call and is this a formal (black tie) affair?

October 16, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  164. Sue

Yes. Fearful of both the seasonal flu AND the H1N1 flu shot as afraid of any negative repercussions in my body down the road that was not detected in these serums when developed.

October 16, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  165. kevin in Ma

I'm ok, I'll take my chances. God is watching out for me, Obama isn't

October 16, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  166. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. And for me to be this way, it means that something in the information is not clear enough from the reality taking place! But, at the end of the day, I usually do not take health risk and will get the shot!

October 16, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  167. Gigi Oregon

Isn't it sad when we no longer have trust in our government or the medical industry. What does that tell us about the United states. I think soon many of us are going to plan going across the borders. They both have a health coverage for their people. I just need to decide which I look best in a fur coat or a bikini.

October 16, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  168. frankie

No. I am afraid to catch swine flu and pass it along to a child or a person in poor health. I am afraid of the time period when you are is just getting sick and don't realize you are contagious. The more people get shots, the less swine flu there will be to pass around.

October 16, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  169. Ken in NC

A shot INTO the wallet would be better.

October 16, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  170. Jeff in Houston

Yes. And it has nothing to do with the possibility of some vast left wing government conspiracy that will use the shot to turn me in to an environmentalist, freedom loving, over-educated progressive. It is because I am still just as scared whitless of needles as i was when i was a child. But I will get the shot. And I will whimper, cry, and go out for ice-cream afterwards.

Wing-nuts, we are taling about people's lives. Get over yourselves.

October 16, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  171. Jeff Crocket in New Britain, CT

The vaccines are a myth!! The Obama Administration spreading doom and gloom, and then "Promising the vaccines by Mid October" has once again not handled the truth or their promises!!

Nobody makes vaccines in this country any more because Pharma got sued right out of the country by Trail Lawyers!!! The Chinese have all the vaccine!

Now let's talk about "Tort Reform Jack!!!!!!

October 16, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  172. AJ, Potsdam, NY

Jack,

In two words, absolutely not.

The H1N1 vaccine has been produced using the exact same procedures – including testing – as the seasonal flu vaccine.

The anti-vaccine crowd continue to do harm to the public health of this nation. Fortunately, their numbers are small and those who follow their dangerous advice relatively few. With Natural Selection being a well-established fact, time will take care of the rest – an unfortunate but unavoidable outcome. The most tragic victims, of course, will be the children.

October 16, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  173. Scott Stodden

Jack I have no reservations about getting the swine flu or H1N1 shot and I probably will get that and the regular flu shot just to be safe. There's nothing wrong with being safe people just get the shot to be protected from swine flu and the regular flu shot and wash your hands everyday and everyone should be fine. Also Jack I applaud the state of New York for making all people in the healthcare field get the shot because those are the most people at risk and I encourage everyone in this country black, white, mexican, chinese, purple, pink, red or white that if you dont want the swine flu then get the shot or risk your life its your choice.

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

October 16, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  174. Richard, Kankakee, IL.

Yes, I have never taking that shot in the past, and I will never take a flu shot in the future. I have lived for 43 and in my entire life have never need one, so why in the heck would I take one right now. Did the flu just pop up yesterday, of has it existed for centuries most of us already have the anti-bodies to fight off the flu, so I say again I am not taking and flu shot, so leave the people alone it is our choice not the government, and leave the healthcare workers alone too! If not, America and free means nothing at all!

October 16, 2009 at 4:53 pm |
  175. Chryssa

Jack, this vaccination is made with a dead virus just like the rest. If they'd had it ready earlier, it would be included in the regular seasonal flu shot and no one would be worried.

But because the media can't stop calling it "swine flu", people are freaked out and scared of it. It's silly.

Boise, ID

October 16, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  176. Ron in Rochester New York

Jack,

I don't have any reservations about anyone receiving any type of medical treatment they may need or want. What I do have reservations about is folks being forced to get a shot they don't want. I've gotten flu shots in the past and gone without them as well. I can't really say that getting the shots prevented me from getting the flu any more or less in either case. What I can say is every time I got a shot or went without, I had a choice. I think the shot should be rationed (Get used to that word.) out to the elderly, children or others with a sickness that might put them at higher risk. As those people are the groups at the greatest risk of catastrophic outcome from infection from this strain of the virus, I think that's where our priorities should be.

October 16, 2009 at 4:58 pm |
  177. Linda in Arizona

None whatsoever. Just as with the regular flu shots, I won't be getting one.

October 16, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  178. Dea in Fayetteville NC

I'm not worried about getting the shot, but then I am not worried about getting the H1N1 flu either since it seems to have a lower mortality rate than the "regular" flu, it's just a lot more famous because of the timing and how fast it's spreading. I don't plan to get the H1N1 shot, but I did get my regular flu vaccine already.

October 16, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  179. Aileen, California

Not just NO, HELL NO!!!

There seems to be way too much of a rush to get this out and injected into our arms. I never get a flu shot and won't this time either.

Nothing can be worse than finding out there are major side effects after the fact.

October 16, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  180. Ralph Spyer chicago Il

Were did this flu come from the C.I.A.?

October 16, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  181. bettysdreams

If the Secret Service is allowing the first family to get shots anyone would make a fool of himself to worry.

October 16, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  182. Nancy, Tennessee

In the 1960's I had the Hong Kong flu. I was young then and I thought it was going to kill me. I don't want anything that remotely resembles that flu and especially since I'm older now and more vunerable. I hope the vaccine arrives in my state soon. I'll stand in line for hours for this one.

October 16, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  183. Tom PA

I have always gotten my flu shot and have never gotten sick from the shot. I am surprised how many people still dont understand that it triggers an imune response and does not give you the flu. I hope the media will put a little more emphasis on informing the public on how it (the shot) works and less time scaring portions of the public who are still not fully imformed.

October 16, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  184. Roland-St George,UT

I got a flu shot last year and still ended up getting the flu a few months later anyway. I was told the reason is because the vaccine makers can't always be sure which strains are going around. OK, so they got paid and I still got sick as hell. What a great arrangement.

October 16, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  185. Lance Denney In Ca

I read it takes 2-32 days for the Swine flu to take hold. It is thru the nose and throat. So- What if you use an OZONE purifier to samnitize your nose and throat with 4-8 breaths each morning and night? Gargle?

Personally- I know Emergency Room Surgeons that REFUSE all flu shots! The ONLY time my wife has gotten the FLu is 24 hrs AFTER she got her 1st flu shot! None since... of either.

My Dr just admitted that this is a LIVE virus they are using in their vaccinations, just as an article in a magazine reported!

Spend time outdoors, try to keep your windows open, take GOOD vitamins, eat vegetables, don't be an IDIOT when it comes to your health!

If you are ALREADY immune-system impaired, you need to do all the above and 'Probably' take the shot. Don't just take the shot!

October 16, 2009 at 5:51 pm |
  186. Mike

Jack,
    Back in November, my grandfather told me that before a black man would get elected president in this country, pigs would fly. Three weeks later...swine flu! Yeah Jack, you betcha I'm getting the shot!

October 16, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  187. susi learn

i will not. i do not feel the vaccine is completely safe nor am i confident it will actually prevent the swine flu.

i am also one of those 'wackey conspiritists' that believe the multi-billion dollor pharmaceutical companies are more interested in making more billions than your health.

susi in tucson

October 16, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  188. luci - Peoria, Il.

Yes, will get my h1n1 vaccine as soon as it is avaiable. Are you going to have one Jack?

October 16, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  189. Ron

Yes I have a problem with the H1N1 flu shot because doctors have questions about it; specifically it the elevated mercury in the shots which exceed the EPA's standards and the short testing period (rush to get it out). If medical personnel have concerns so do I!

October 16, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  190. Barb - Arizona

QUESTION: Jack, did you get the vaccine?

October 16, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  191. r in boston

M;y husband (a DR) and I got our regular flu shots 2 weeks ago, no reactions. This week, we got our H1N1 injuectable shot, so far no reactions. (Oink, Oink, maybe I spoke too soon) So far, last year avian, this year swine, next year monkey? Looks like we are just making pharmacuticals rich via the fear tactic.

October 16, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  192. Thomas Wilkinson

I was on the fence but now that I know that the right wing cuckoo fringe
    is against it, sign me up. Thos W

October 16, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  193. Vickie Thompson RN

Jack, isn"t the point that you had the choice to get your flu shot ? Healthcare workers in NY are NOT allowed to make that CHOICE. NY is still part of AMERICA ????

October 16, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  194. allan

well jack no i dont but here in masssachusettes we are going to vaczante or prison population first before the general public ....go figure they are already quaretined and we have too wait

October 16, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  195. ty collins

I heard from a reliable public health professional that clinical trials on the H1N1 vaccine did not include African Americans and Hispanics in the study. What is the real efficacy of a drug that does not include all affected populations in its development? The vaccine excludes my genetic makeup. I don't see the point in getting a shot! Do you?

October 16, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  196. Brian A

yes, i do have reservations about get flu/swine flu shots, but that does not mean i sympathize with recent anti-gov't. rhetoric. I am an advocate for the natural sciences, i guess i'm just a little superstitious when it comes to flu shots. thank you.

October 16, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  197. Rob

Reservations about getting N1H1 flu shot? Not at all, and I have lived to tell about it. Because I am a health care worker I was in the group it was offered to first, and it was free. If it were possible for them to get it I would certainly recommend it to the rest of my family. Unfortunately many otherwise healthy young individuals and children are dying in large numbers already in addition to those who have underlying illness , well before the usual expected peak of the season. It will be a tragedy when all those who protested the manditory vaccines for health care workers and who refuse to take it, become seriously ill, take the flu home to their families, or expose their patients and cause deaths which result because they refused the vaccine.

October 16, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  198. Aaron

Just look up the regular flu vaccine ingredients it isn't stuff you want to be putting in your body.

Do you want to be poisoned(possibly linked to autism or Alzheimer's) or sick from a flu you might be able to get rid of?

I am just asking people to do your research(we have internet!) before you get injected with something with contents unknown to you, and please really think if it's a child your thinking about injecting.

Medicines and vaccines should have at least 10 yrs testing before use on people.

October 16, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  199. Dr Sonni Alvarez PhD

In my profession of 30 years, I have treated patients that suffered terrible results from vaccinations of all type; autism, polio, flu,etc. My own mother nearly died in 1976 from toxic swine flu shot! Big Pharma stands to generate multi-billions from H1N1 vaccination, even though it is not proven safe and contains toxic mercury. If you have a healthy strong immune system, that is your best protection against any viral assault.

October 16, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  200. Karen, TN

I'm not getting one, but not because of anxiety about the vaccine. I haven't had flu since decades ago when I was a child, so I'm apathetic.

October 16, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  201. Pat in Georgia

I'm allergic to a number of drugs, but I have NO reservations about getting the H1N1 vaccine as soon as my age group (60+) is eligible. I had the Hong Kong (H3N2) flu and the Russian (H1N1) flu years ago and those were miserable. It just seems stupid to roll the dice with H1N1.

October 16, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  202. richard a. winkler

Yes because I can't find out where to get one.

October 16, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  203. Stock

Never have had a flu shot in 38 years. Never really never gave it any thought until about four days ago when I hit a new peak of flu illness bed ridden and feeling at an all time low watching my wife bee bop around, she was smart enough to get a flu shot two weeks ago

October 16, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  204. Juanita Morris

I have no reservations about receiving the vaccine because I'm an organ transplant patient. My concern is for the patients who come in contact with the nurses who refuse to have the vaccine. Even if they aren't concerned about themselves, they should be concerned about patients like me they come in contact with.

Juanita
    Terre Haute, Indiana

October 16, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  205. Katherine

I'm thrilled that the anti-government conspiracy theory folks won't be getting the swine flu shot. I'm a middle-aged healthy female, and hopefully, this will increase my chances of getting the swine flu shot sooner.

October 16, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  206. Ollie

I know I have a sever reaction to Thimerisol. The CDC web page's list of people who should not take the vaccine is clearly incomplete – the Thimerisol warning is missing from the CDC's main page's list and present on some FAQ page. With an omission like that I think others should also be hesitant as well.

October 16, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  207. Harry Moscatiello

Yes, There have been at least 1 documented death from reactions to the swine flu vaccine.

October 16, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  208. r in boston

Jack,

Doesn't matter if it is swine flu, heart attack or drunk driving accident, when your number is called at the Pearly Gates, your time is up. What exactly are you avoiding by getting the shots? All those people who cheated death at one time, ultimately meet it sooner or later. So just enjoy it while it lasts, cause it aint lasting forever.

October 16, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  209. Barry

NO! What's the hullabaloo? More children have alrfeady died from Swine Flu this year than died from the flu all of last year.

GET THE H1N1 SHOT AND MAKE SURE YOUR CHILDREN GET IT!

October 16, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  210. Frank B

NOTE: There was a recent news feed about a recent study in Canada, involving a 7 digit number of people, that indicated that people who get the 'normal' flu shot are twice as likely to catch the H1N1 virus. If so – we in the USA should be told!

If interested – I can research my files and send the URL for the feed

October 16, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  211. Cathy

There will be no way that I will subscribe to big pharma making even more billions of dollars. This scare is propelled by constant media attention. Don't we have more things to think about for our country? Unemployment, Afghanistan, Health Care. Pray for the health of our country!

October 16, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  212. Nicole Powell

I am one of the many opting out of this vaccine. I get the regular flu vaccine every year, so it is not about vaccines in general, but this particular vaccine As a woman in my mid thirties we are trying to conceive and this vaccine is full of Thermirasol. They are saying that pregnant women and children are vulnerable and that they should get this vaccine (H1N1). They will not even administer a regular vaccine with Thermirasol to pregnant women or children because of the dangers. Their regular flu vaccine is free of this. I do not want to take a risk to myself or an unborn child. I would really like to see more info in the media on the dangers of this vaccine. It is full of dangerous stuff and I will just pray that i am able to stay healthy until there is a safer vaccine available.

October 16, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  213. Stephanie C, from SUNY Plattsburgh

No reservations, Jack. I am simply grateful that I have the opportunity to recieve it for free from my school's health office, and that it's available to everyone and we should never take that for granted. As someone who's had Hepatitis C since infancy, I make sure to get all my shots, since I may be immunocompromised. Perhaps, there might be risks since the vaccine is very new, but they're risks I'll gladly take.

October 16, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  214. sony otache

If i lived in the US i wuuldnt keep any reservations about getting a swine flu shot.
    Americans.... pls go get that shot. say no to swine flu

October 16, 2009 at 6:45 pm |
  215. Leslie

Swine flu shot? No thanks. I think the reason they aren't making us seniors get it is so they don't have to pay out our social security/medicare when we get sick and croak. So, no thanks I'm sticking it out and collecting my future checks.

October 16, 2009 at 6:45 pm |
  216. Bob Sager MD

Jack – do you think the government has told the public and medical professions enough real facts about the safety of the H1N1 vaccine? I do NOT think so and the public agrees it seems. Voting with our feet on this issue could be dangerous because of two news reports I have not seen mentioned or repeated anywhere. WHO released its study on studying the vaccine two weeks ago – it was in the Washington Post once and nowhere else that I can find easily. WHO gave the vaccine to 39,000 people and reported only 4 mild side effects! That's a convincing study for me because the US was not involved in this study and WHO is rather more objective I suspect that
    n the DHE.
    Second, last week CDC reported on its analysis of 1400 adults hospitalized because of H1N1. 46% of the adults had no prior medical conditions of any kind and 34% has asthma. So just staying healthy may not protect you from a severe H1N1 infection leading to hospitalization. So I have started recommending the vaccine to my patients since reading these reports.
    Bob Sager, MD

October 16, 2009 at 6:45 pm |
  217. Tom, Avon, Me, The Heart of Democracy

I'm not afraid of having an African-American president. I'm not afraid of consumer protections. I'm not afraid of honoring the Geneva Convention .I'm not afraid of gay marriage, and I am damn well unafraid of H1N1.

October 16, 2009 at 6:48 pm |
  218. j

i have reservations, but is it not strange that when people start asking questions the cdc says that we may not get large doses until the end of november now. is that to give them more time to scare the people or to do more testing. is any one asking how many doses they have sent to other countries already

October 16, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  219. sony otache Abuja Nigeria

Americans…. pls go get that shot. say no to swine flu

October 16, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  220. Debbie Shafer

Jack....We are now nine years into the new millennium and they unbelievably continue to barbarously administer vaccines with a needle. The vaccine manufacturers continue to include dangerous ingredients such as mercury, etc. I like many are petrified of needles. Why not a sublingual vaccine or just produce more of the nasal spray type of vaccine? Until they discontinue the use of mercury and/or other unsafe ingredients and until the utilization of sublinguals or sprays instead of needles becomes the standard method, I will continue to use my nutritional supplements and practice safer health habits in the hope of avoiding the flu of any kind.

October 16, 2009 at 6:52 pm |
  221. Michele Brother, MD

Absolutely no reservations. I have already been vaccinated. I hope people will get their kids vaccinated as they seemed to be the ones most affected currently.

October 16, 2009 at 6:53 pm |
  222. Erik S Salazar

I would like two know will it work or just give me the bug

October 16, 2009 at 6:59 pm |
  223. John A Leva

Jack & Wolf.... No, never get any, ever. I'm an old "fart"..... I've watched many others who normally get whatever is the latest "flu bug shot," I normally never get sick, but those who are "shot", get sick, what's the connection... I'll wait an see what happens to those who are quick to jump to have the early doses... I'm hooked on Centram Silver Chewables, and 500mg chewable Vitamin C's daily, maybe that's the secret... blkfordtruk

October 16, 2009 at 7:02 pm |