September 16th, 2009

Does it surprise you if fmr Pres. Bush talked trash about politicians?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Former President George W. Bush wasn't short of opinions when it came to other politicians' shortcomings, according to a new book by a former Bush speechwriter titled "Speech-less: Tales of a White House Survivor."

Matt Latimer writes that Bush always believed Hillary Clinton would be the Democratic presidential nominee, and said of her: "Wait till her fat keister is sitting at this desk." Except he didn't use the word "keister."

After one of then-Senator Obama's speeches criticizing the Bush administration, the former president said of Obama, "This cat isn't remotely qualified," adding "this guy has no clue."

As for the now-Vice President Joe Biden, Bush said quote "If B.S. was currency, Biden would be a billionaire."

And the former president didn't spare his fellow Republicans either. Latimer writes Bush wasn't too impressed with Republican nominee John McCain.

When Bush was told McCain couldn't get enough people to show up at a planned joint appearance in Phoenix - McCain's home state - Bush said: "He couldn't get 500 people? I could get that many people to turn out in Crawford."

As for McCain's VP pick, Sarah Palin, Bush said: "I'm trying to remember if I've met her before. I'm sure I must have. What is she, the governor of Guam?"

Bush also told Latimer at one time: "I redefined the Republican Party." That's probably true to some extent and may explain why McCain lost and the Democrats now control both houses of Congress.

Here’s my question to you: Does it surprise you if former President Bush talked trash about other politicians?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

T. writes:
Yes, former Pres. Bush redefined the Republican Party. I am a Bush Democrat. Thanks to his administration and the Republican Congress, I can not think of ever voting for Republicans again. Just look at them now: the party of nope, denial and lunatics.

Harry from Tampa writes:
This is how a completely unknown and completely meaningless person can get his 15 minutes of fame. The author chronicles statements and positions that anybody would say in private moments, but because it comes from George W. Bush, they must be reviled and ridiculed. The author will never again hold a position of trust.

Bob from Morristown, New Jersey writes:
The only thing "W" could do to surprise me would be to utter a cogent, grammatically correct sentence, or pronounce nuclear correctly. Some people just don't know what they don't know. When I looked up clueless in the dictionary, it was Bush's picture I saw.

Will from Bend, Oregon writes:
The surprise is only in the seemingly endless depths to the former president's lack of awareness and tact.

A. writes:
I find it amusing that the guy who can't even put a sentence together thinks that Obama isn't qualified.

Phil writes:
Jack, Bush isn't smart enough to come up with those clever lines all by himself. The author has to be making this stuff up so he can sell some books.

Dan writes:
No, it doesn't surprise me, Jack. Good for Bush! He took 8 years of hearing nothing but trash from the liberal media and people like you. I can't wait to hear what Bush says about you, Jack. I suspect it could be classified as premium trash!

1. Lucy, Austin, Texas

Bush Jr. stuck his foot so many times in his mouth, I don't think he even know what he was saying. That is what we get when we elect a guy who everybody would have a beer with.

However, it is kind of sad that you are the President of the United States and you choose someone who you think will be loyal to you and take them with you to claim the prize of the White House. The ungrateful scum then writes a tell all book about you...what a stab in the back.

September 16, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  2. Diane/Allentown, PA

No, it doesn't surprise me that he was candid. What did have to lose by that time, his approval rating was down around 2 wasn't it?

Funny, he didn't think Obama was qualified. OK, fine, but he had most of or country and the rest of the world thinking he wasn't!

September 16, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  3. Teresa

Doesn't this just take the Capitol cake? That this man should point a finger at ANYONE is remarkable; the immense damage he has done to this country is mind-blowing & we still don't know the whole magnitude of it.

Typical arrogant Bush statements. Why is anyone surprised? And – the real question – does anyone care what he says?

September 16, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  4. Michael from Philadelphia, PA

of course it doesn't surprise me. what would you expect from a child-minded make believe war hero/cowboy? Question is were these quick witted comments or did someone start a conversation about politician "x" and Bush waited seven plus seconds to give his opinion.

September 16, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  5. Claire - Melbourne FL

Not at all – he's a class-less spoiled brat who had his "daddy" get him out of trouble all his life and daddy's rich friends bailed him out of how many failed businesses? Now we the American "suckers" have to bail out our whole country because of his arrogance and stupidity!

September 16, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  6. Steve, Clifton, VA

Bush's administration was trash so it would be appropriate for him to trash people that are far more capable and intelligent than he is!

Steve
    Clifton, VA

September 16, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  7. Agnes from Scottsdale, AZ

Jack: I would have been surprised if Bush sounded coherent! No surprises here!

September 16, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  8. Joseph, Dickson, TN

This is no surprise. I would only be shocked if he said "I apologize for what I said about other politicians." After the last eight years of news I have seen when he was President, it is no surprise that he would say such atrocities. But we have our rights, and so does he.

September 16, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  9. Robert

I have never laughed so much than in the Bush era. Now, he makes me laugh. Look who is talking? No clue. He had no clue for 8 years!!!!!!!!! that is why the country almost collapsed. If Republicans wants to make sure we don't go bankrupt......they need to work with Democrats rather than being the party of "NO"
    Republicans say NO to EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!
    IS THERE ANY REPUBLICANS LEFT TO WORK FOR THE POEPLE NOT FOR THE LOBBYST, RICH AND POWERFUL?

September 16, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  10. Ken Barlow

Former President Bush is so egocentric he would talk trash of the Pope.
    Knoxville, TN.

September 16, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  11. Tom from Vermillion, Ohio

Talk trash? ...the man can do no wrong!!! LOL

September 16, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  12. Sue from Redwood City

I'm not suprised at all. I have always hated Bush, but in his defense, he's only human and all of us trash talk about someone at one time or another. It would be a reasonably safe bet that Obama also trash talks about others to trusted people when he does not think it will be repeated. No one is perfect!

September 16, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  13. Dave (Williamstown, NJ)

Not at all. Bush always called em how he saw em. I love the Biden comment; classic! But just wait, it'll only be days until they say that President Bush was being racist when he made the comment about President Obama.

September 16, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  14. AJ, Potsdam, NY

No, Jack.

To learn some of the nasty – and just plain stupid – remarks made by Mr. Bush comes as absolutely no surprise.

This spoiled, boorish, and petulant self-centered perpetual adolescent was the boy chosen by the GOP to take the Oval Office from the Democrats in 2000. Of course, he – and they – could not do it in a fair contest (nor in 2004, either).

For eight years, "Dubya" played Mortimer Snerd to Dick Cheney's Charlie McCarthy – and learned well from his puppet master. They made the perfect couple.

I'd like very much to send Bush a crate of salted pretzels; do you have the address?

September 16, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  15. Chad from Los Angeles

No, just surprising he only says believable things when nobody cares anymore.

September 16, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  16. Michael

This does not surprise me about him or for that matter any President. We forget that their human not Gods. A little bit surprised he'd utter anything that could be quoted. A born again Christian how surprising!

September 16, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  17. Abdiwali Mohamed

Jack,

It will not be surprising to me if President Bush had comedy tour. I will be the first one to buy a ticket.

Burien, Washington

September 16, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  18. Curtis, Oxnard

No, I think this is the only area in which Bush was more than competent. Name calling and bad jokes. Imagine him saying Obama was not competent. Case closed

September 16, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  19. Dan B

Why would that surprise anybody. I personally liked President Bush, mostly because he called them like he saw them. He valued his priciples and I believe he did what he believed, in all cases, what was best for America. And what politician, in the past decade, does not trash talk?

September 16, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  20. Larry, Ohio

Jack,who knew that President Bush was this smart!!!!????

September 16, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  21. Peggy in Texas

No, it does not surprise me at all. He has proven himself to be a simple minded but extremely egotistical idiot!!!!!! The only way he can possibly feel good about himself is to put others down. He thinks it is cute, just like he thinks he is cute. Talk about a jerkwad!!!!!!

September 16, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  22. Lisa L., San Diego, CA

Jack, it absolutely does not surprise me, not one iota! The former president oozed arrogance and conceit in every public appearance. To this day, he has never offered a real apology for the lies which led us to war, nor has he ever said that he would have done anything differently (except for the "Mission Accomplished" banner, which I think he said was a "mistake"). These are not the signs of a "strong" leader, but a vain one.

So, back to your question: is it any wonder that someone with such an inflated sense of self, someone who fancied himself the smartest guy in the room, the "redefiner" of the Republican party, would put down others in politics, even in his own party? In a word, hardly!

September 16, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  23. Steve Acton

Why would that surprise me? The man talked trash during his whole presidency. Very little factual information ever came out of his mouth. Surprise me? Of course not, trash talk is the only thing he's capable of!

September 16, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  24. Jack Cafferty

George W. Bush is my hero! GREATEST PRESIDENT EVER!!!

September 16, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  25. Linda in Arizona

No, it doesn't surprise me. Why should it? He was always a vulgar, backbiting little guttersnipe. Why would you expect statesmanlike discourse from a coarse yokel? On the other hand, I don't care. I'm sure all people have their snide moments, even Obama, as we just heard re Kanye What'shisname.

September 16, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  26. barbara - Seattle

No, absolutely not. Obama's election has exposed the ugliness of the Republican Party. It is truly time to behave like adults who have at least a little sense. I have never seen anything like this . It is very dissappointing

September 16, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  27. John L

John from Maryland

Not at all, Pres. Bush let's say wasn't "the sharpest knife in the drawer" anyway. I would love to hear what he has to say now...

September 16, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  28. green party

Uh, was not Mr. Bush a good-ole-boy, back room discussion, Cheney supporting, "heh-heh-heh" type of humor president while he was in the oval office?

Nuff said...

Jones in Hawaii

September 16, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  29. Lee Stacy

I believe Mr. Latimer was highly accurate in reporting what President Bush said and captures his tone exactly. What he forgot to mention was that President Bush then spat chewing tobacco into a large, shiny brass spittoon on the Oval Office floor that made a loud, audible "ding" after each comment.

LS

September 16, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  30. Jenna

It just reminds me that he was a LOW ROAD type of guy..

Jenna
    Roseville CA

September 16, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  31. gale

G.W. Bush, can not criticise any one, the worst President in the history of this country. I still beleive that him and his cabinet should be tried as war criminals. Should have never invaded Iraq.

September 16, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  32. nick in san diego

To paraphrase his own analogy to describe Joe Biden, Bush must be a gazillionaire!

September 16, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  33. A. Smith

I'm not surprised at all. Bush Jr. is a small stature man from Texas with repeatedly demonstrated ego maniacal flaws. After 8 years in office, Bush Jr. singlehandedly dismantled the Republican party and with the willing assistance of Cheny and Rowe, made the Republican party so toxic that former members ran (not walked) into the open arms of the Democratic party. As a Republican member for 30+ years, I no longer even recognized any thread of feeling nor respect for others among Republican party remaining faithful.

For every gaff and incredibly asinine verbiage by Bush Jr. caught on tape, there are surely hundreds that were not taped.

A. Smith
    Oregon

September 16, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  34. Mac Smith, El Paso TX

No it does not. Trash begets trash. He is well adept at talking trash. He spent all of eight years shoveling it!

September 16, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  35. Jim - Michigan

Jack,

Regardless of your personal view of President Bush, you have to admit that he has been very gracious since leaving office, avoiding any critical comments of the Obama administration. Unfortunately too many administration officials and members of Congress have not reciprocated in kind. I think there are a lot of people trying to make a quick dollar, writing books and giving speeches – short answer No I do not think President Bush slighted anybody.

September 16, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  36. GBB in TX

To paraphrase Forest Gump,"Trash is as trash does".

September 16, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  37. Keith

Nah – that's not shocking. The entire Bush family are all pretty funny people. President Bush Sr. spoke in my church once – he was hilarious.

A lot of people dislike Bush Jr.'s policies – and many rightfully so – but saying those sort of things is more funny than inflammatory. Do you actually think that President Obama doesn't talk trash about people? Of course he does: it's human nature. And it's pretty funny.

September 16, 2009 at 5:53 pm |
  38. Vicky from MIlwaukee

I wondered what happened to Bush. We've heard much too much from Dickie Chaney and nothing from the baby Bush. Now I remember why I didn't like him although the comment about the govenor of Guam is kind of funny. And even Joe Biden would probably laugh at the comment directed at him.

September 16, 2009 at 5:53 pm |
  39. James from Albany, NY

Is this even a serious question Jack? If those comments don't sound like direct quotes from Bush you should have listened to Wolf more in past years.

September 16, 2009 at 5:57 pm |
  40. Ali

nah, he is classless

September 16, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  41. tommy young

No, I'm not suprised at all. What will suprise me is if this is made an issue after the way the Democrats have been talking about him the past 8 years. I am suprised that it took this long to get out.

September 16, 2009 at 5:59 pm |
  42. honestjohn in Vermont

Surprised? Not at all.

September 16, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  43. Eddie

Surprised? Hardly. That's the nature of politics. They've all done it at one time or another. Bush would surprise me if he finally managed to eat a pretzel properly.

Los Angeles, CA

September 16, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  44. Jason Billingsley

Absolutely not! Do you really think other politicians don't talk trash about each other? The president is no different than me and you. I'm sure every president has had a few choice words for their replacement, despite their party affiliation.

September 16, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  45. Dawn R. Hodi

No, people like him who have even an inkling of his own stupidity, would naturally try to make himself feel and look better by dragging down others.

September 16, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  46. Jeremy Wilson

Ya know, the most complicated thing to do is to make something simple, yet the most simplest thing to do is to make things complicated. If you don't believe me, watch the news.

September 16, 2009 at 6:02 pm |
  47. Jasmine in Germany

Is this a trick question, Jack? What else could G.W. Bush possibly talk about?

September 16, 2009 at 6:02 pm |
  48. Jeff

Jack,

Not at all. He is a Texan and that means he speaks his mind. We in Texas have a certain amount of confidence that can be imposing and also reassuring to folks from other parts of the country. I imagine there is quite a bit of truth to GWB's comments on fellow politicos. "Call it like you see it" and don't apologize is the mantra. Americans embraced President Bush's cavalier nature when we all chanted "go get em' George!" after 9/11. However, when it was taken to the extreme, that imposing nature can be seen on those affected around the globe by Bush's Neocon policies.

Jeff in Dallas

September 16, 2009 at 6:02 pm |
  49. Roger Zoeller

Not at all Jack . We all Do it even You !! Roger , Meridian , Idaho

September 16, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  50. Arni

Of course not. He is a Texan and a cowboy.

September 16, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  51. Jeff in E. Lyme, CT

Lemme get this straight. You're asking if I'm surprised about his comments? We're talking about the same guy who lied us into a war which cost over 4,000 American lives and upwards of 20, 000 Iraqi lives in order for his buddies to profit?? The same guy who ignored warnings about 9/11 because he was too busy planning the largest fraud ever perpetrated on America? Not really Jack.

September 16, 2009 at 6:05 pm |
  52. Rick Davis

whatever just ignore the party of NO!

September 16, 2009 at 6:05 pm |
  53. John, Fort Collins,CO

Not at all. In my political bug collection the note on the George W. Bush pin is: "President, much less bright or colorful than the Monarch".

September 16, 2009 at 6:07 pm |
  54. JayG

Here we go with the "former aides" trash talking Bush. Does the word scott mclellan mean anything to you?? All he is trying to do is sell his book and make money off the fact that President Bush was unpopular. Get Real and Grow up Latimer!

September 16, 2009 at 6:07 pm |
  55. Karl from SF, CA

Although his comments about the size of Hillary Clinton’s keister, Joe Biden’s BS and Barrack Obama’s experience were expected, his analogy of McCain and Palin were a real surprise. Now I wonder what he might have said about Dick Cheney. Or wasn’t “W” that smart?

September 16, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  56. Susan from Twin Falls Idaho

The man never talked anything but trash, what's the big surprise here?

September 16, 2009 at 6:08 pm |
  57. SkillzGeez, Philadelphia

Be it that he is the C average president lets take it for what it is....the TRUTH.......he's not thinking that far ahead for his future.....he thinks he's free.......so he speaks the TRUTH about what he sees out of everyone he critiques. His low ended mentality style analysis’s are worth some sort of look at.

September 16, 2009 at 6:09 pm |
  58. Rick Davis

Not at all, he so selfcentered!

September 16, 2009 at 6:09 pm |
  59. Tony in Missouri

Not at all Jack. Bush was such a failure in so many ways, ...that's what losers do! I wouldn't put anything past him, he really didn't care about what the majority of America thought of him, or his policy. He was the decider, and God told him to do it!

September 16, 2009 at 6:09 pm |
  60. Chip

C'mon Jack, I don't think that anything coming out of the mouth of a politician, from the local school board to the former President of the USA, or was that Guam?, could or should surprise us anymore. We have become jaded, faded and hated because of what comes out of the mouths of politicians.

September 16, 2009 at 6:09 pm |
  61. Gloria S.

Nothing Former President Bush does or say would surprise me, most of his conversations about most things have been trash to me. I have very little respect for this man especially after sitting there like nothing was happening while our country was literally on the verge of collasping, and did nothing, leaving office with our country in a ugly mess. That is what jokers do, they sit back to see what the outcome will be, In my opinion, he wasn't qualified enough to hold the office of President, but I guess if you have enough money, anything is possible. i hope our country will learn a lesson from the pass eight years of mess, and will now allow President Obama to do his job and show the american people what a real president is all about.

September 16, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  62. Adrienne of Syracuse, NY

President Bush's comment on Sarah Palin's obscurity on the national stage is probably one of the smartest observations he's ever made.

September 16, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  63. William from Minneapolis

Not at all. Politicians ARE people. Talking trash about people you dislike when they can't defend themselves is the American way Jack! Politicians aren't immune.

September 16, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  64. Megan

Yes, it actually does suprise me that he would say that, because I wouldn't think that someone could be that rude, but then again Obama did call Kayne West a jackbutt.

September 16, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  65. Pamela, Tampa Florida

No Jack. Nothing the W does surprises me.

September 16, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  66. Pete - Augusta Ga

Jack –

Bush absorbed a great deal of flack from other politicians for 8 years from Democrats & some Republicans alike. Whether he deserved it or not depends on one's own political leanings – I'm just glad to hear that apparently he was hearing it & actually had a reaction. This should dismiss the rumors that he was totally unaware of what was happening around him.

September 16, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  67. JayG

Who is this guy again?? go back to the rock you crawled out under Latimer, If it wasnt for Bush you wouldnt have this book deal. What a backstabber.

Jay Gonzalez
    Waterbury, CT

September 16, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  68. Nikki/san diego

Child Please.......Jack, for eight years President talked trash!

September 16, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  69. David from Oregon

Yes, W did redefine the Republican Party and thank the Lord- we know have a democrat that is the decider!!

September 16, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  70. SLM

Does it surprise you how much Bush bashing has been done by the Obama administration?

September 16, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  71. K

This is Bush's inept attempt to deflect attention from his dismall failures, lies and deceit onto another person. Just another example of the pathetic "leader" he was.

September 16, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  72. Toni from OK

No it doesn't surprise me anything that Bush 41 would say. Bush was one of the worst Presidents I have ever had.

Even President Reagan said Bush 43 wouldn't amount to anything. I guess he was wrong too.

September 16, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  73. SkillzGeez, Philadelphia

Be it that he is the C average president lets take it for what it is….the TRUTH in his eyes…….he’s not thinking that far ahead for his future…..he thinks he’s free…….so he speaks the TRUTH about what he sees out of everyone he critiques. His low ended mentality style analysis’s are worth some sort of look at.

September 16, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  74. Mark (Newburgh, NY)

I don't doubt former President Bush trash talked other politicians. Just as I have no doubt that President Obama trash talks other politicians. We all trash talk those who share our professional circle. It's small, mean, petty, and altogether human.

September 16, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  75. Joyce

The only thing that would surprise me is if "W" could speak in a complete sentence!

September 16, 2009 at 6:12 pm |
  76. Joe

If talking trash is the opposite of talking with wisdom and honesty, then it certainly does not surprise me.

77. Annie, Atlanta

No, we all do it. I’m surprised that some low life felt the need to share for his own profit. I’m no Bush fan by any means, but sharing his private conversations is tasteless, at the very least.

78. Odile LaComb

Nope, doesn't surprise me at all. After all he's the guy you want to have a beer with.

79. John D

Speaking on behalf of jazz musicians everywhere , I'm shocked that W referred to Mr Obama as a "cat" .

80. Tom Gallub

Does it surprise me that he denigrated others???.. not at all.. What does surprise me that , if these are quotes, he was able to form complete sentences with multisyllabic words.

81. Lanette

Everyone talks trash about politicians – especially you, Jack.

82. Michael B

No Jack. "W" broke the mold on running the country for the betterment of all Americans by literraly running it into the ground. I guess it's to be expected from the "Decider" who broke now has broken the mold of past presidents not commenting (bashing) those who have succeeded them.

83. Patricia

Jack,
    Americans have decided to Cancel Washington Reps Healthcare Coverage due to Lack of job performance,deficit and bad economy...Food for Their Thoughts.....

84. Dodie ~ California

Well, we finally found out what Bush Can do!!! It certainly was Not being president! He is really good at talking trash about everyone! He definitely needs to learn the following:

A closed mouth gathers NO foot!!!

85. Suzanne from Utah

Does anything surprise anyone these days? I absolutely believe that he could say those things. You'd think they would learn to keep their mouths shut when they know they'll be quoted someday!

86. truth-telling monger

of course not Jack! politicians understand that the relationships they build and rely upon for election are "shallow," at best. besides, who cares how Bush, and other politicians feel about each other, I am more concerned about what Bush says in private about the American electorate.

87. Abby

What surprises me are the idiots who take a job with any president, and then write "tell all" books. Shame on them. Is there no loyalty anymore? Or is this just another way to put the news onto Bush AGAIN...and off Obama's woes with Acorn, Van Jones, the Czars. etc.

Oh, wait. You guys haven't been talking about those things. Only trashing the good, honest people who showed up at the Tea Party as "racist."

88. David from Oregon

Thanks W for getting Obama elected!!! It's about time Ronald Reagan was just an actor to carry out the policies of the CIA director George Sr.

September 16, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  89. tcutty

Yes former Pres. Bush redefined the Republican Party. I am a Bush Democrat. Thanks to his administration and the republican congress, I can not think of ever voting for republicans again. Just look at them now, the party of nope, denial and lunatics.

September 16, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  90. Harry Lime

This is how a completely unknown and completely meaningless person can get their 15 minutes of 'fame'. The author chronicles statements and positions that anybody would say in private moments, but because it comes from George W. Bush, they must be reviled and ridiculed. The author will never again hold a position of trust.

Harry
    Tampa

September 16, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  91. Josh from Texas

It doesn't surprise me when you, the media, or the president talks trash! Unfortunately that's America.

September 16, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  92. Phil

September 16, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  93. Joel S

No, he should do some stand up too.

September 16, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  94. Trina Wallace

Does it surprise me that Bush talked trash about other politicians? Seriously? Name one politician who hasn't talked trash about a competitor - or even an ally, for crying out loud. It's the way things are in politics - it's the nature of the beast.

September 16, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  95. Bob D. of Morristown, NJ

September 16, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  96. Howard: Las Vegas, Nv.

Nothing G.W. can say would surprise me. He never said anything when he was President! He always spoke the words Cheney told him to speak.

September 16, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  97. Ken in NC

No Jack. Former President Bush would not surprise me if he had done that. He would not have been doing anything other politicians don’t do oh so well. Now if only they could govern as well as the talk about each other.

September 16, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  98. Anonymous

September 16, 2009 at 6:14 pm |
  99. Terry Burns

Does it surprise me? Absolutely not. Isn't this the president who said, "I feel that God wants me to be president"? Anyone anointed by God should certainly be able to criticize others, right?

100. Sharon from Flower Mound Tx

No Jack, it doesn't surprise me. Everybody talks trash about everybody. The smart ones just don't get caught.

101. ALC

Based on what this country was reduced to in the last 2 years of his administration, George Bush should crawl away with his tail between his legs and his mouth shut. He should hope history will be kind, and that he won't be judged as the worst president in this country's history.

102. BayonneFrank

And how does this question keep our focus on health care and our economy? I couldn't care less about what President Bush said or didn't say about other politicians. Unless of course his remarks were racist!

103. RON FULLERTON,CA.

Not at all Jack. He is just another Politician and besides, Most of what he said is true.I mean, He took it all from everyone else for eight years so,time to give it all back.....

104. Jaye Reiser

It doesn't surprise me in the least! Aren't we talking about the same Bush that was filmed flipping the bird to the camera a few years back ?

105. Doris J. Meyer

Did you record this or do you have a few senior moments? I remember that Bill Clinton said of Obama "is this a fairytale or what""
    Of course, politicians, like others say degrading things about others, especially when others listen to a more conservative network.

106. Joan Blair

Joan in Studio City, CA
    I'm not surprised at all that Bush trash-talked others. He would have done it on-air, in speeches, if he could have. That's one reason he made mistakes, while speaking. His mind would constantly run through all the glib, crass moronic jokes he wanted to tell. In fact, that's the only thing I liked about W. He would always give me a good laugh!

107. George Albert

Well it sure does not surprise me that you are wasting my time with your, he said she said second hand dribble. Is this news worthy? At least you are consistent.

108. GP

Does it surprise me? No, I think they all do it, but I guess they think it won't be later publicized.

109. Paul Moseley

Nothing surprises me that this person [Bush] has to say. The person cannot see anything right in front of his face. He has it in his mind what he sees whether it is there or not. He is the reason the country voted in the Democrats–the buck stopped with him. The years of substance abuse affected his thought process.

110. Will F. Bend, OR

The surprise is only in the seemingly endless depths to the former president's lack of awarness and tact.

111. Charlotte Araki

No, I think it's amusing. I was never a fan of his but really, is there anyone that doesn't? I'd love to meet that person.

112. Robert

I love your show first of all! No, it doesn't surprise me Pres. Bush spent his time bashing other politicians thats probably why he didn't notice the economy failing.

September 16, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  113. Charlie

Of course, it's not a surprise. He failed to pass American History in prep school, needed legacy pull to get into Yale, didn't read a book from the time he was nine years old. What did he have left but to trash others to make him feel better about himself. He had enough intelligence to realize he didn't have what others around him had: wisdom, intelligence, good sense.

September 16, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  114. Suresh M

Not really. Most politicians do it to various extents – not unlike in sports – politics is just one of them.

September 16, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  115. Nora Eakins/Gainesville, VA

WHO CARES?? Every time Obama's poll numbers start taking a nose dive, the liberal media goes after Bush or another Republican to divert attention from this failing administration and blustering Congress. This is NOT newsworthy.

September 16, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  116. Ade

Jack what do you expect from a trash ex- president, but trash. When you are not good enough you can't expect him to say any good thing about any politician.

September 16, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  117. Jaye Reiser

It doesn’t surprise me in the least! Aren’t we talking about the same Bush that was caught flipping the bird to the camera a few years back ?

La Habra, California

September 16, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  118. Daniel

No, it doesn't surprise me that the worst President in the history of America with the longest running, lowest approval rating in the history of public office is a little bitter at his successors, successful or not. Never mind the pot calling the kettle black, let's make up a new analogy for Bush's hypocrisy!

September 16, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  119. Duaned

It does not surprise me in the least. Any observant person knew that Mr. Bush was speaking out of both sides of his mouth. Say what they want to hear and do whatever. Most of his talk reveals his insecurity. Why else does someone bash another person? Mostly to help them feel better about themselves. Bush's fear of failure lead him to these kind of statements.

September 16, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  120. Rosa Chandik

Not at all, small minds talk about people.

Charlotte, NC

September 16, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  121. Spider Miami

As a Command Pilot and 34 year Air Force veteran I can vouch for many a pilot that talked trash during their day to day activities. This was true of those weak pilots that could talk better than fly. I can bet Bush was one of them. Some of us got to mature, he obviously did not.

September 16, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  122. kelly holland

No it doesn't surprise me at all. Whenever an insecure, inept, unintelligent person wants to feel better about themselves, putting others down is the #1 method.

September 16, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  123. Mike from New York City

No Jack, it doesn't surprise me. He is a regular person. He is entitled to let his guard down and speak off the record. That this individual is choosing to cash in on the confidence of a former president is disgraceful. What ever happened to journalistic discretion? I'm not sticking up for Bush or his opinions. I never voted for him and don't much like him. I don't think the Monica Lewinsky story ever should have seen the light of day either. If it's off the record and has no bearing on the lives of U.S. citizens leave it alone....

September 16, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  124. Sandi W

It seems to me that no one has respect for anyone else, especially themselves. If we did, we would be much more careful about what we do, say, and how we behave. Almost everyone talks trash, acts like trash, and then says, I didn't mean it, I was just joking, and they think it goes away, Apologies do not take away the meanness of what we do and say...

September 16, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  125. Samuel, West Lawn, PA

Yes, yes it would surprise me. Whether I agreed with his policies or not is irrelevant to this situation, the fact is I always found him to be a decent person. It is my opinion, that as long as a president does what he believes is right for the nation, than he has done his job. In that respect, if Cheney's upcoming memoirs is to be believed, Bush moved away from Cheney and his more authoritarian policies. Something tells me the author is lying.

September 16, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  126. Gloria S.

I'm not surprised President Bush talks trash about politicians. Bush IS trash! He lied to the American public about the Iraq War, and showed what a coward he was when first notified of 9/11, and was AWOL in his military career and the days after Hurricane Katrina.... This is not a man of moral character, so why should any of us be surprised???

September 16, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  127. Allen Chase

Former President Bush displayed his true character before becoming President when He and Cheney referred to the NYTimes reporter as full of BS while campaigning and on an open mike. Why are we surprised that this behavior continued while in office. A leopard does not change its' spots easily, only enough to stay in power.

September 16, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  128. Bill- San Diego

No, it doesn't surprise me. Bushie couldn't remember the names of friends and gave he gave them nicknames like "turdblossom" . That is a sign of disrespect. I can't imagine the disrepect he would show people from other parties. What's a real shame- the world is laughing at him and he knows it. That's why he has been so silent.

September 16, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  129. SJ

No and he shouldn't have had to worry that every word he ever uttered in private moments of frustration would be replayed ad nauseum on programs like yours. Would YOU want everything you ever said in frustration to be repeated on the air, Jack? The biggest difference is that no one would make money putting your thoughts in a tell all book!

September 16, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  130. Eric Haigh

Not surprising.. Bush is, and was during his Presidency, the guy next door. And the guy next door talks trash. Bush is the kind of guy who has to focus on "acting Presidential". The surfacing of some of his "off camera" remarks reflect the man he was. Really, the question to ask is "Is it surprising, that the guy was able to act "Presidential" to his political colleagues?".

September 16, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  131. Deb Velazquez

Jack that DOES NOT surprise me at all. I think all politicians, well actually people in general, are opinionated and express themselves honestly without realizing it might come back to haunt them later. First of all Bush is human, and American, so he has the right to say whatever he wants even if it sounds stupid now.

September 16, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  132. Dan

No it doesn't surprise me Jack. Good for Bush! He took 8 years of hearing nothing but trash from the liberal media and people like you. I can't wait to hear what Bush says about you Jack. I suspect it could be classified as premium trash!!

September 16, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  133. George

Nothing surprises me if it's said by Bush, he had no class when he was
    president, he has no class now.

September 16, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  134. Gary Wichita

Yes it surprises me that George Bush would talk trash about others, I did not know that he was capable of forming complete sentences.

September 16, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  135. Ted Papp

Jack, nothing about Bush surprises me. He was an incompetent, ignorant moron, who did more harm to this great country both internally and externally, than the next 10 worst presidents combined!
    If there ever was a president who had no clue, it was Bush.

September 16, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  136. J M Ford

Bush would have had to talked trash about other politicians just to drown out the crushing din of the satire of his public persona which played out like a disturbing cartoon.

September 16, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  137. Angelus

No one should be surprised that Georgie W. has these sorts of views. Look what he left. He's the guy who farted and left the room.

September 16, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  138. Ken in NC

September 16, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  139. Sue M

What surprises me is that it took this long for his rude & ignorant comments to be made public! He had no tact as a President so being out of the limelight has made it very easy for him to do what comes naturally to him – behave like an ignorant boor!

September 16, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  140. chris

It doesn't surprise me George W. Bush was talking trash about other politicians at all. We as people as people often talk about our fellow co wokers and the only difference is that his opinions end up in book and ours end up at work.

September 16, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  141. Wayne Bryant

Well of course, ( Former President ) BUSH would talk trash about other politicians now that he's out of office. He was so frequently a target while still there. And let's face it; he made it so very easy to target himself. I'm neither surprised ........ nor angry ... that he would take his shots. As a former holder of office; isn't it sort of a .... " rite of passage " .... out of office ?

September 16, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  142. Iz Wuditiz

I'm about as surprised by these comments as I am surprised I haven't won the lottery yet. Now if you'll please excuse me. I have to go buy a few more lottery tickets. The Republican Party needs my support desperately!

September 16, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  143. Eduardo from los angeles

NO it doesnt because this man has invaded iraq, let osama bin ladin get away,gave tax cuts to the wealthy, and wanted to privatize social security if he did that then of course he wouldnt mind trash talking about other politician

September 16, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  144. Ray from Lake Charles, La.

Jack, It shouldn't suprise anybody that W talked all that trash. That's all he did for 8 years and if B.S. were currency, George W generated enough that the National surplus would be staggering.

September 16, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  145. Larry P. in Pasadena, Ca.

Surprised? Not a bit! While his father and brother may exhibit some degree of intelligence and refinement, "Junior" is nothing more than a typical barroom buffoon! Between his obvious lack of intelligence and verbal skills, as well as his well-documented lack of good judgement, I, and I'm sure many others, could not possibly be LESS surprised by ANYTHING that leaves this idiot's mouth. Georgie Jr.'s presidency was the single biggest bad joke in American history! Is there any reason why we should expect anything more from him now???

September 16, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  146. Ronnie

No I'm not surprised. He thinks he's a jokester but he's really just a joke.

September 16, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  147. Mike of Hot Springs.

No. This man has no clue about decency or morality. He spoke as he governed. Totally from the hip and without much thought.

September 16, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  148. Jane Oh

Everyone talks trash about co-workers, but most people are smart enough to recognize the guy who is about to take their job when they see him. I guess W was the one with "no clue".

Jane Oh
    New York City

September 16, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  149. Justin M

of coarse it doesn't surprise me, for one thing his true colors are surfacing since becoming a former pres. and do you think he would have anything nice to say about a african american president. In his view he was the best and there will be no other like him. To an extent this is true and I hope there will never be a person in office like him.

September 16, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  150. Barney Gorter, Milwaukie, OR

The writings must be the reorganized edited verbal meanderings of W's. He has never demonstrated the ability to put an independent thought brought forth coherently.

September 16, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  151. Mike O

Like any tell-all book, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
    If the former president is bashing his fellow politicians it truly is a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black.

September 16, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  152. Jaqueline

No. You have got to be kidding me. Every politician and every human being does it. And the President is probably doing it right now. It's called freedom of speech Jack.

September 16, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  153. Alexander Kolokotronis

Forget whether anyone is surprised about Bush talking "trash". Rather it is much more of a story that he even saw the Sarah Palin fiasco from a mile away.

September 16, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  154. Mel

You know what the kids say: "takes one to know one". Bush more than anyone has demonstrated the very definition of clueless; hard to belive he's qualified to bestow the label on others. The again, does a clueless man know he's clueless? Certainly the insane deny their insanity; saying it is others who are insane. Maybe no surprise...

September 16, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  155. Jim Busher - California

Well something had to fall from the hollow container resting on his shoulders .... after all... with the continuing display of ignorance streaming from the "redifined Republican Party" , Bush-ites enounce perfectly the brilliant unthinking way of their mentor, GWB. Is there an intelligent, honest, critically thinking, self-realized leader from the "redefined Republican Party"???

September 16, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  156. richard from south florida

Why is politics different from every other business? Every politician trashes other politicians-hopefully not in public.

September 16, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  157. S Callahana NYS

lol Politicans routinely talk trash...if only their trash could tells us what was said.

September 16, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  158. Frank

No it doesn't surprise me. GW Bush is a person whose ignorance was and is only exceeded by the legions of Republicans who loved him who are now disrupting what should be rational debates across America. He couldn't string a sentence of recognizable English together and thus was a terrible role model to children, never mind to the rest of the free world. He intentionally lied throughout his occupation of the White House while relentlessly dragging the US towards the brink of WWIII and anyone's surprised that he trashed Democrats whose IQ's on their worst days are in the stratosphere compared to his on his best days? I am surprised he said anything negative about Sarah Palin though, as Bush and Palin would be a match made, well, not in heaven, but would be a match.

September 16, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  159. Dennis

No I am not suprised that bush talked trash about other politicians as he has always thought that he was a GOD and that the bushs were the only ones that could keep the country safe. I noticed that he didn't say anything about Dick "whats his name"

September 16, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  160. Julio

#1 Bush was never a politician, just a cowboy from texas who wants to finish the war in Iraq and he got there because is Dad, now Mr. Obama in not better, he just fallow the Bush policies.

September 16, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  161. Rose Kole

Why should anyone be surprised Bush talked trash about others? His egotistical observations about Obama not having a clue; Obama's dad did not have to pull strings to get him in college, Obama didn't graduate at the bottom of his class, and Obama speaks English, good English. His remark about Palin shows Bush probably thinks he can see Russia from Crawford, too.

RK

September 16, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  162. Tammy

It takes trash to know trash.

It takes one to know one.

September 16, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  163. Sam Jones

No, it does not surprise me that former President Bush talks trash about politicians. He and his total lack of – NOT – taking care of the United States and it people is the reason things are the way that are now. The wars, housing, health care anything you can name is ALL former President Bush and form Vice President Cheney's fault.

September 16, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  164. Lili-Marlene Rose

It doesn't surprise me at all. Has Bush ever heard of the idea that one criticizes in others things that one finds hard to accept in oneself? Or that one criticizes in order to feel superior to the person being criticized? It seems clear to me that Bush is guilty of both of these charges. Bush had to have known that a lot of politicians found him wanting; these trash talking remarks were his attempts to balance things out. What a joke he was!

Waipahu, HI

September 16, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  165. Viktor Hlon

Why should this surprise us? Maybe he wasn't the smartest of US Presidents, but surely he was a smart-ass.

Kyiv, Ukraine

September 16, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  166. Lamont., From Alabama

Jack,
    nothing surprises me from this clown after eight years. It is commonly known for an individual who wants to promote their book, to leak a little controversy cause in essence that sells. Bush is doing this in hopes that no one will think that his writing are a lost collection of Dr Seuss books.( NO disrespect to him). This is a publicity stunt, and sadly enough America will buy into the controversy, because America loves mess. How do I know we love mess? Jack i am glad you asked Look at the mess we are in. Thanks and God bless

September 16, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  167. ingrid, new york

we all talk trash about politicians, why should the president not be able to do so every now and again. the problem with bush is that everything out of his mouth was basically trash, he could not even put sentence together.

September 16, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  168. FiveBody

I would be surprised if G.W.B. or any other politician didn't talk trash. It's just mandatory to publicly be PC in the political arena.

P.S. In order for America to address racism is to first stop denying and admit that there is a problem.

September 16, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  169. arnold

No, its what politicians do.They stab each others backs.

September 16, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  170. C Bid

No surprise at all, Jack. There were so many striking similarities (along with a lot of the same people) between the Bush administration and the Nixon admin. that you'd have to be pretty darn stupid to not expect that sort of trash from them... Remember at the RNC when Cheney pointed out a reporter as being a "major league a-hole". I'm willing to bet the "n-word" flew around the Oval Office more than a few times during those eight horrible years...

September 16, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  171. Melisa

This shouldn't surprize anyone!! This shows the mentality of the Bush White House!! How did the US get in the mess it's in now!! With the leadership that the Bush presidency brought this a debt that Obama is stuck with and Obama has the education to try to clean up Bush's mess!

September 16, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  172. mike-sey

Absolutely not! Whether its Nixon, Clinton or Bush, Churchill, Maggie Thatcher, or any other powerful figure, they will be pretty forceful and salty – in fact they will talk pretty much like the society does -. And its good we hear themoccasionally speak candidly – even after the fact.

September 16, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  173. Will Jil' bryis

Wil Jil'bryis / New tampa, Fl
    It doesn't surprise me at all President Bush always had this humorous side of him. Most people usually don't get his jokes but i've found many to be hilarious... Lets give him a break people we spent the past 8 yrs cracking jokes on him left to right it's only fair to allow him to the same on the current administration.

September 16, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  174. Gloria S.

I’m not surprised President Bush talks trash about politicians. Bush IS trash! He lied to the American public about the Iraq War, and showed what a coward he was when first notified of 9/11, and was AWOL in his military career and the days after Hurricane Katrina…. This is not a man of moral character, so why should any of us be surprised???

Alexandria, MN

September 16, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  175. Laurie, SC

Maybe he thought he was writing a comedy......

September 16, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  176. arnold

No, its what politicians do.They stab each others backs

Nakuru, Kenya

September 16, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  177. Brent Dow

Of course I'm not surprised that George W is mouthing off about other politicians. He has always opened his mouth before his brain has been engaged, if it is ever engaged. It also doesn't surprise me me that he claims being such an influence on the Republican party. On the other hand I am surprised to hear him throw his fellow Republicans under the bus like that. What a lack of tact!

September 16, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  178. GR MUNDALE

I want you citizens to voice your opinion also...for a former US President to lash out at other persons of interest I feel that for a person holding an office of dignity should choose his comments closer to his chest. I always felt he & Cheney had only (1) oar in the water and led US Astray! Dubbya was never a qualified "speaker"..why now offer unsolicited opinions for which few care to hear. GR Mundale

September 16, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  179. Jackie in Dallas

When has ANY politician not talked trash about their fellow politicians? It is one place where they truly ARE non-partisan!

Of course, I’m taking what I’m hearing about what is in Latimer’s book with a grain of salt. However, the comments attributed to the former President do sound like “good ole boy, Georgie” as he is known here in Texas!

As for Carville saying that former aides to Presidents shouldn’t write books about what they heard and saw, wasn’t he just saying yesterday that he barely knew who Latimer was? If Latimer was an aide,Carville should know him, and Latimer certainly would have seen and heard (and should be allowed freedom of speech, remember); if he wasn’t, then he wouldn’t be bound to such restrictions anyway!

September 16, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  180. Joanne Pannone

Jack:

At least President Bush made his comments in private, and not on an international stage as former President Carter continually does. Why is it okay for Carter to publicly trash Bush every chance he gets? We used to have a great tradition in this country where former Presidents would refrain from commenting on a sitting President's decisions. But, as with all things Democrat, the rules don't apply to them. By the way, President Bush's comments were right on, with the possible exception of Hillary's butt.

September 16, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  181. Terrrence-Arkansas

Hey Jack love watching the SR, you and Wolf keep my day going! Look this guy Bush 43, nothing surprises me dealing with him, its when you know that you have screwed this nation so badly that even he "George W" couldn't face the mess the U.S will encounter in the future. It's like my grandmom would say "all that u say about a person is actually the image you see in the mirror. Yeah I argee with a few things he said dealing with redefining his party yeah it's a comedy show "Republicans Live in Washington" and these "Cats" don't have a clue! Someone needs to step in and "Change the Recession" that party has been facing...

September 16, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  182. Michelle - San Francisco

i don't think he is qualified to trash anyone...

September 16, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  183. cosby dudley

jACK, NOTHING Stupid that bush said could surprise me. I think trash was all he knew about. he didn't impress too many with at all. He was a very dull minded person. I doubt if he could pore pea out of a boot, if the direction were printed on the heel. I don't know, maybe if chaneywas hunting he might be able to help. I' sorry but I think the same way about a lot of our leaders up there.

September 16, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  184. David Forbes

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest because Former President George W. Bush has always acted privileged, self-righteous, and better than other people.

September 16, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  185. Jose Two Times

Nah, one shouldn't be surprised of Bushy's opining comments, so as to project his shortcoming's onto other Politicians. For Lordee knows that his administration and especially his Treasure Secretary Henry Paulson couldn't manage a 'Toy's R Us' in Heaven. God bless their silly souls. 'Their silly souls...

Jose Two Times

September 16, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  186. Lisa in GA

Jack, its not hard for a MORON to recognize other MORONS.
    President Bush have nothing else to lose, including America...poor fella is probably drinking himself into oblivian.

September 16, 2009 at 6:28 pm |
  187. Robin Scheraldi

Nothing surprises me when I heard former President Bush talking trash about other politicians, look where its coming from, this is the one politician that turned this country into trash, with all of his pocket-lining scams he made with other countries to destroy our economy..There really is no reason to have to hear what that puppet master has to say, he needs to crawl back to marionette-ville, and sharpen his tool, being he definately is far from the sharpest tool in the shed.

September 16, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  188. Balthazaar

Jack,
    You can't be serious!? I mean, whom hasn't complained in private about their wife, husband, son, daughter, boss, pastor even God Himself! Unless I have just swallowed your bait ,and foolishly attempted, to answer a rhetorical question, then shame on you Jack!!!

September 16, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  189. James V.

Hey Jack, why would I Doubt that the last President Bush would talk trash when most of his economic policies treated the American Middle Class like trash. In fact, the one-sidedness of GWB's Economic policies are largely responsible for why the GOP lost the White House in the last Presidential Election.

James V . Robbinsville NJ

September 16, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  190. Shirley Hanna

Of course it doesn't surprise me, Jack! Bush was a member of the "Good Old Boys Club' and thinks he can get away with saying or doing ANYTHING. Here's a guy who had trouble putting 5 coherent words together and couldn't find his way out of a room! Would you really expect anything more from this guy??

September 16, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  191. Jackie in Dallas

Ah, yes, Georgie…and just how did running three businesses into the ground, being a "C" student in school, and being Governor of Texas for less than a full term qualify YOU to sit in the Oval Office?

Oh, yes, you had a famous Daddy who sat there first!

September 16, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  192. Loretta

O course not. He can't stand the fact that these people are intelligent and can carry on a conversation that makes sense. He and Cheney should keep their mouths shut. Thanks to them and their cohorts this country is in the mess that it is whic we will be paying for long time

September 16, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  193. Dave

I'm not at all surprised. Few are exempt in this world from totally keeping their thoughts to themselves particularly when they are frustrated with someone or something. I do however find the comment on H. Clinton inrteresting. To have made reference to a part of her anatomy to others may say more about the former prez than we considered before. Maybe he has a thing for her. Oh...the irony of it all! Dave Auburn,Ca

September 16, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  194. J.L.

Not really... the public persona and the private one are almost always two separate things with politicians. Just look at the revelations from all those tapes Nixon had... but one thing strikes me... are you sure that Bush wasn't looking in a mirror when he said, "This cat isn’t remotely qualified" and “this guy has no clue.”

September 16, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  195. Vance Pickron

It does not surprise me at all that George W. Bush trash-talked other politicians because he was, and is, the ultimate frat-boy. "Turd Blossom" was his nick-name for friend/advisor Karl Rove, so how much worse do you think his opinions would be for political opponents? I don't think 'W' will ever be able to evict the mean-spirited 12 year old that lives in his head.
    Vance
    Spring, TX

September 16, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  196. Lynn, Columbia, Mo..

Of course not. He's the decider isn't he?

September 16, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  197. vern-anaheim,ca

no former president george w. bush was wrong about barack obama and joe biden but correct about john mccain and sarah palin who cost mccain votes in the election as no one had ever heard of her before then including george w.bush

September 16, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  198. Marsha

NO. It surprised me that Fmr. Pres. Bush put two sentences together.

September 16, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  199. Tanya, Reynoldsburg, OH

Finally... Something to laugh about Bush because it's funny funny not because its sad and pathetic funny.

September 16, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  200. DeeDee

No, it doesn't surprise me. That's how I see Pres. Bush. He's a trash talker.

September 16, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  201. C.K. of Colorado

It doesn't surprise me that he talks trash about people, he can't even speak his own language (English), and he obviously has no respect. Why do you think shoes get thrown at him?

September 16, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  202. Dan

No, not at all it is W being W. With that Texas charm why should anybody be surprised?
    St. Louis, MO