July 24th, 2009

Will you contact your congressional reps about health care during the recess?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

"Keep on your members of Congress, keep up the heat. We've got to get this done." So says President Obama. But while the president calls on Americans to pressure their lawmakers on health care reform - it seems like many members of Congress are in no rush.

They're going on vacation for four weeks and then may or may not finish their work on this.

Now that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has said his chamber won't vote on the legislation until after the August recess, look for the legislation that the president wanted fast-tracked to move to the slow lane.

Reid says slowing things down may be the right way to go now - instead of trying to jam something through. The main reason for the delay in the Senate is the finance committee - which is trying to come up with a bipartisan bill.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi now says they'll take the bill to the floor "when it is ready"... and at that point, she insists they'll have the votes to pass it. But moderate and conservative Democrats there continue to voice complaints about cost - among other things.

Meanwhile one of the president's top Republican critics, Senator Jim DeMint, is echoing Mr. Obama. DeMint - who said stopping the president on health care would be his Waterloo - is calling on voters to connect with their representatives and "let them know that Washington shouldn't make their families' health care decisions."

Here’s my question to you: Do you plan to contact your congressional representatives about health care during the August recess?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Debra from Arizona writes:
I received an e-mail from the president this morning and immediately called my two senators in Arizona, requesting government health care options even though I have health insurance. I support President Obama 100%. I was not surprised to have to leave a voicemail message for Senator McCain. I was really surprised to get an aid on the phone for Senator Kyl.

Dennis from Hartsville, Tennessee writes:
Jack, I already have, several times. I tell my wife letting politicians know how we stand on this subject is my own form of health care reform. It might not do any good, but I feel better!

Elaine from Washington writes:
Yes. I will contact my representative, although she has no vote on the matter that I know of. I would like her to ask the Blue Dog Democrats who are saying we can't pay for reform one question: How will you pay for health care 5 or 10 years from now if there is no reform?

Neil from California writes:
I would love to urge my congressman to work with the White House on an equitable health care bill, but my representative is Tom McClintock. He's made his position of opposition clear from the get-go, and talking to him is like talking to a brick wall that quotes Abraham Lincoln.

John from Phenix City, Alabama writes:
Jack, I have contacted my Senator Jeff Sessions so many times he sent me a letter telling me not to do so again. I will not give up voicing my opinion on this or any other subject.

Ross from Oklahoma writes:
I won't be contacting my representative or senators. They are Republicans, of course. I live in Oklahoma, the only state where McCain carried every county. I might as well live in Canada for all the impact I'll have on this discussion. Come to think of it, if I lived in Canada, I'd HAVE health insurance.

Filed under: Congress • Health care
  1. Lynne Parker in N. Augusta, SC

Sure, I'll waste my time contacting them. As if I have a chance of being heard over the $1.4 million the health insurance industry spends each day to buy votes.

July 24, 2009 at 12:51 pm |
  2. Peter

If you contact your representative ask them these two questions
    Why do you get health care and me as your employer does not??

Ask them to contact a Canadian and ask them about their healthcare.
    While the Canadian system may have flaws (no system will ever be perfect). the majority are thankful for what they have.
    Peter

July 24, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  3. Ed Murkovich

Jack:
    I have already contacted them through my change in voter registration to Independent. Both these corporate stooge parties would get their heads out of their butts if millions of Americans, regardless of their parties, would do the same. Since the primary objective of any politician is to get reelected, millions of new independent voters might remind them whom they work for.

July 24, 2009 at 12:58 pm |
  4. Kevin in Dallas, TX

Yes, and I'll ask them why we are talking about adding more social services when virtually every social service in existence is on the brink of bankruptcy. Stupid is as stupid does.

July 24, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  5. Heath Missoula, MT

Yes. I live in Montana & our fine Senator Max Baucus is one of the major players in the Congressional efforts to draft a quality Healthcare Reform Bill. I know from the 15 years that I have followed Montana political leaders, that Max has shown that he truly cares about the well being of Montanans and the American people at large. He has been repeatedly re-elected from our state for a reason...he listens to our concerns, and acts to address them. So, I am confident that when I do contact Max's office, my concerns will be recognized. And my primary concern is the idea that Congress would recess at all. They should stay in session until they reach a consensus & have a plan that will fit the President's criteria. Americans who do not have health coverage can't get a vacation from their unaddressed medical woes!!!!

July 24, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  6. Melissa

Yes. But I don't think it will matter if I do or not.

July 24, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  7. Doug - Dallas, TX

Gee whiz Jack, do you think it'll do any good? I've already contacted them and it doesn't appear to have made any difference. It seems to me that their vacation is more important to them than passing a comprehensive health care plan that gives all Americans a choice.

July 24, 2009 at 1:06 pm |
  8. jenny

Jack,
    Yeah right, my congressman is Phil Gingrey. I will contact him right after he contacts Rush to see how he should vote.

July 24, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  9. Kevin from Montebello CA

I already have and yes I plan to again. I get so irritated that the Democrats can never agree on getting anything done when it will help ordinary Americans. It didn't take them long when it was time to hand a trillion dollars to Wall Street.

July 24, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  10. Hans from Missouri

Yes, but he's a Republican so it won't matter.

Hermann, MO

July 24, 2009 at 1:09 pm |
  11. Gail, Plano,Texas

Why in heaven's name would I waste my time contacting any TX representative? They are Republicans and march with those who want to keep the status quo.

July 24, 2009 at 1:09 pm |
  12. Jayne

Thankfully, my Congressman is on board. I suppose I could contact Senator Gregg – again – but there really is no point. His only concern is being able to clear the sidewalks of the bodies of the uninsured and collecting campaign donations from Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

July 24, 2009 at 1:10 pm |
  13. Katiec Pekin, IL

The problem is, Jack, it is almost impossible to contact the representatives. Although they make decisions crucial to all of us,
    many will not accept correspondence on the web except for their
    district or state. How unAmerican is that??

July 24, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  14. Russ in PA

Of course, and I'll be repeating my message: get the heck out of health care. And get your fingers out of my pockets...

July 24, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  15. Paul Austin, Texas

Yes and tell them to get off their rears and get the job done we all elected them to do. This delay game with everything is just not acceptable anymore. We had eight years of nothing now it is time for action no matter what party you are in. We are the only major country in the world without some form of government or national health care and we are among one of the richest even with all our problems. The health care issue can be fine tuned and passed and they all need to get on the ball if they want to stay in there.

July 24, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  16. deb, Montana

I plan to do everything I can to let Max Baucus know that he needs to listen to all of us, not just to the health insurance lobbyists that have filled his coffers so well. Max needs a little reminder that some companies–like Blue Cross Blue Shield here–have near monopolies in many states, and the only way to ensure real competition is to include a strong public option to any health care reform.

I'm going to contact Jon Tester also, but Denny Rehberg? No way–that'd be a colossal waste of my time: the Republicans are terrified of real competition!

July 24, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  17. Rick Medina,OH

Jack,

I already have. By all definition, I am a liberal Democrat, but I find little to 'hi-five' about in any of the current bills. This is a case where doing nothing beats anything on the table.

Rick, Medina, OH

July 24, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  18. David Bebeau,Springfield Missouri

Absolutely...........we need to slow down here and think this out
    David

July 24, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  19. Amber - Austin, TX

I already have contacted them Jack. I plan to contact them every day until they get back. They're going to get an earful from me!

July 24, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  20. Peg from NY

Absolutely. They do not need nor have earned an August Recess~get to work! We elect and we unelect you all. The USA is in dire need of all of Congress to remain at work and "make do" like the majority of Americans. Few of us can afford a vacation, many have had to give up vacations. Actions speak louder than words, so if you keep working YOUR chances of re-election will be vastly improved.

July 24, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  21. Jenna

EVERY SINGLE DAY

This is not a Democrat Issue, this is not a Republican Issue, this is not an Independent Issue – THIS IS AN AMERICAN ISSUE!

Jenna
    Roseville CA

July 24, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  22. Ms Lou from Fayetteville, NC

Never have before but will now. Obviously all they care about is seeing which way the water is flowing in their State before they cast a vote. This proves that the need for something is not the driving factor. Votes are.

July 24, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  23. robert copeland

Yes, I plan to let my representative know that I strongly support the President's quest for a national health plan.

July 24, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  24. Denis Duffy

Absoulty, Jack. Of course, since they are both democrats, I don't know if they will be listening. The only way I can possibly have any impact is to let them know that I will be happy to work vigorously for their defeat in the next election if they vote "stupidly".

Denis Duffy
    Pittsburgh, Pa.

July 24, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  25. Terry from North Carolina

Jack
    I have already contacted my two senators and also my representatives in the house, this was three weeks ago and I have not heard a word from them on what position they are taking and why. So much for elected officials, I guess they are too busy.

July 24, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  26. Tina Tx

Mine are usless and Gov Perry says that any of the Tx senators who vote for the healthcare that the people need ought not to come home. What does that say about the Republican party? They ain't for the welfare of the working class.

July 24, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  27. Ron from Pennsylvania

Yes I will contact my representatives during the recess to make sure that they know that health care reform is essential. I will also contact the "blue dog" Democrats even though they are not in my state. Their GOP like actions are hurting all Americans and they need to know that.

July 24, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  28. Melissa

YES I will contact them again if they don't pass a bill by recess: they need to listen to their constituents who are suffering under the current failed healthcare system, and stop playing political games. We're tired of our elected officials dancing to the tune of the health industry lobbies. We citizens can dance too....straight to the polls to throw the obstructionists out!

July 24, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  29. Irv Lilley

Yes, I just wrote emails to each of our Senators and Rep. Told them all they should pass legislation that gives the rest of us the same coverage they get. Do you think the letters will make an impression on them?

July 24, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  30. Gary of El Centro, Ca

Nope......and I wouldn't want them contacting me on my vacation either.

July 24, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  31. Philly/PA

Yes, yes, yes I will tell them to read, read, read any bill before signing on. I heard that there is a petition going around require this. It would be great if the media would check into this.

Phyllis
    Media, PA

July 24, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  32. John in Norfolk

You betcha – the more Obama's plan sits out in the hot August sun, the more it stinks.

July 24, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  33. Thom Richer

Probably. However, if any of them listened to their employers, (taxpayers) we wouldn't be in this economic or political mess. What makes you think contacting them will make any difference now? Name me one thing they have done by the will of the people in say, the last 12 years? Have they solved or resolved any MAJOR issues facing taxpayers for the past 10, 20 or 30 years? If they have, please list them for me. I must have missed them.

Thom Richer
    Negaunee, MI

July 24, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  34. Rae from Indiana

Well it hasn't done any good in the past. Everytime I have contacted them I have asked for a response and all I get is a request for donations. I'd like to see them do some research and act accordingly. If they can't do that they need to be gone. To answer your question though, no I will not. I have already decided...No incumbents for me next election cycle. I've never seen such a spineless, selfish, childish group of adults in my life.

July 24, 2009 at 2:09 pm |
  35. Ann from Charleston S.C.

I have already contacted them, but I'm sure it is an exercise in futility. They send form letters in reply reiterating their position with no acknowledgment that I had a point of view. I will probably send another during the August recess if one of them says or does something ignorant during that time.

July 24, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  36. Jane (Minnesota)

I probably will contact my representative; Americans need to contact both the major parties of their feeling at the same time. Our elected officials all need to remember its not the special interest groups that vote in the voting booths and listen to us or they might not be asked to continue to represent us; oh but it's hard for them to not accept their campaign $$$.

July 24, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  37. Molly B

Tama, IA

Yes, I will contact them, as I want to see the health reform bill
    passed as President Obama wishes it to be.

July 24, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  38. Jim Yappel

Contacting congressional members individually is probably as effective as individually contacting an insurance company about a turned-down claim. Divided, our individual cries are disregarded. I have a better solution for Mr. Obama.

By Presidential Order, Obama should discontinue all health benefits for all congressional members and the senate, including all of the aides.

Just watch how fast we get a viable health plan! Goodbye recess, boys and girls...

Jim
    Columbus, Ohio

July 24, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  39. Larry from Georgetown, Texas

No Jack I won't and especially since every time I write to them some flunky on their staff sends back a prepared statement of "Thanks for your input", but they do what they want anyway and play politics with our lives instead of having the guts to do the right things. We are more divided today than anytime in our history on all issues. We should rename our country and call it "The Divided States of America".

July 24, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  40. Jaime from MIAMI!

What is a congressional rep? do they really represent us? the people?... yeah right! why would I waste my time contacting him/her when I know my opinion is not going to be heard. I got a better chance at being heard here at CNN by the millions who watch, than some bureaucrat that's just dying to go on summer vacation!

July 24, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  41. Roy Reed

No. It's a waste of time. They only listen to the lobbyists who contribute to their campaigns and hire their spouses.

July 24, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  42. Tony from Torrington

Yes I will, and I will tell them that if they aren't willing to give up their health care plan to get the one that they are peddling to us, they should stay at home. 2010 elections aren't that far off. Mosty of them are elderly and I don't think they will settle for rationing.

July 24, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  43. Tom from Philly

If i didnt contact Joe Sestack weekly his office would report me as a missing person. YOU BETCHA! I made arlen spector switch sides just to reduce the volume of email from me........

we are in the inverse situation of 1980, instead of stagnation from unions and overtaxation, we have stagnation from uppermanagement and they are undertaxed, think about it

July 24, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  44. pat in lexington

I probably will – and good luck with that, since I'll be talking to Mitch McConnell! HELP!

July 24, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  45. Dee in sunny Florida

I plan to do so.

We need to keep the fire under their butts!

July 24, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  46. DJ from Fort Walton Beach, FL

Yeah, hopefully I'll be able to, he'll probably be off at some luxury resort somewhere with his excellent healthcare plan and brain boggling salary...

July 24, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  47. Aileen

Yes of course. Healthcare reform is too important to just sit around and watch the antagonists drive the bill into the ground without offering better substansive ideas. No one can afford to just sit around and take a wait and see approach.
    By the way Jack, I love your comments everyday and your approach to tell it llike it is! Good for you and keep up the great work!

Aileen
    (Naperville, IL)

July 24, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  48. Dolores Wolfe

I absolutely will because there is a dire need for improved health care reform. We have to start doing it – it is obscene that any member of Congress would be so obtuse and so much a moral coward that they would think it is OK to NOT do so. I find it incredible that any American would be fine with the status quo & the fact that this nation will be bankrupt by Medicare/Medicaid within 10 years.

D. Wolfe
    Hartsdale, NY

July 24, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  49. Terry in Virginia

Why wait? I've already contacted my representatives several times over on this issue and so far no response. My Representative is going to vote "NO" regardless what his constituents want and my Senators will vote "YES" even if it means bankrupting every member of the middle class and poor. I'd love to have their health care benefits but none of them want to share those benefits with the rest of us. If they did, that would be real health care reform. Right now it's just another big waste of time and taxpayer money until the next election.

July 24, 2009 at 2:33 pm |
  50. Frank from Peterborough

From what I have seen it won't matter much as every indication is the politicians figure the electorate can't remember the ramifications of their actions all the way to the next election. They got the public figured out down to a tee.

July 24, 2009 at 2:34 pm |
  51. Bill, Quarryville, Pennsylvania

I already have already sent emails to my congressional representatives expressing my desire to have a healthcare bill passed. I am not a lobbyist or represent a special interest group. I cannot afford to contribute large sums of money to their campaigns. Contacting the people who represent me in Congress and leaving them know how I feel on bills that concern me, is the only means I have to get their attention. I feel it is my duty as an American citizen to do this. If more people were to contact their representatives in Congress expressing their feelings on important subjects might help to get back some of the power lobbyists have over them.

July 24, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  52. Matt in St. Louis

Yes, my wife is disabled, and we are paying thousands a year just to keep a secondary insurance policy on her. Not because we need it for medical bills, but because we can't afford for her to ever be without insurance, otherwise the insurance company will scream 'Pre-existing condition' for every hangnail or blister she gets if she loses insurance. We need reform, and everyone, Democrats and Republicans need to get off their political high horses and work together. Not that that will ever happen, these idiots in DC are more concerned with party than the American People they are supposed to represent.

July 24, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  53. Don Parsons

Yes, I told her to just go on vacation and give us all a break from all of their spending.

July 24, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  54. Brad Mahoney

I am unfortunately represented by the Party of "NO," and therefore can't expect any of my comments to be listened to. But I am going to be talking to the "Bluedog Idiots" who are weak-kneed. I am also going to be sure to contribute to their opponents if they don't get their act together. We need real Democrats in office, not wolves in Democrat's clothing.

July 24, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  55. Alex in Seattle

I already have and probably will again. Senator Patty Murray (D. Washington State) was looking for health care stories so I told her that the health insurance for state workers thinks anesthesia for removing impacted wisdom teeth was a LUXURY not covered by the insurance. (Which you and Wolf chuckled over when you read my comments on the air two weeks ago.)

July 24, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  56. Jesse Smyth

Jack,
    Health Insurance was the platform President Obama ran on, it has been discussed since the early 60's by President John Kennedy and probably before that. How can the republicans act as if this is new, why is it that we pore trillions into health care, medicare and emergency treatment , but still no party has worked on a solution.... yet everyone knows we need reform.
    Call me stupid but when we choose to go to the moon it took less than seven years to achieve that goal and yet it has been 48 plus years with no resolve on health care issues in the USA.
    It seems funny to me that if we took all the money spent on health from the early 60's to now you would find the cost paid in full.
    Jesse

July 24, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  57. Dan Coxon

I'm not certain it would help. I recall a few weeks ago hearing a congressman or an annalist on your network stating that " the people" don't truly know what they want or what is good for them, so that is why we have Representatives to make the right choices for us. With a generous donation from some lobbyist. I am sure they will make a choice alright. So, I question whether my contacting my Rep. will do any good. We'll see.

July 24, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  58. Larry D

Yes I do I think this is very important issue millions are without health care and its not fair to those who don't have it. As a country we need to improve health care in america. Obamas plan is the best and its what we need to combat america's health crisis.

July 24, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  59. David in Texas

No...I will watch my congressional representative vote in the fall, then they can watch me vote in 2010.

July 24, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  60. Jimmy in Los Angeles

Why bother? Living in bankrupt liberal California, they don't care about common sense opinions, they will do what they want. We ask them to quit raising our taxes and overspending and look where that got us. If they would listen I would tell them to throw this crappy plan out and start over.

July 24, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  61. vern-anaheim,ca

definetly,something has to be done about the high cost of health care in this country

July 24, 2009 at 3:02 pm |
  62. frankie

I have to. I hear over and over and over from Republican pundits that I love my health care and fear national health care. I have to set the record straight. I fear my health care and I love the idea of national health care kicking commercial health care's butt and making them act right.

July 24, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  63. Independent Joe

Jack,

I reside in the land of ten thousand lakes and we already have what is called "Minnesota Care'. It's a state run health care program for the poor. The program is has flaws but it provides health care for those in need who lack sufficient funds.
    My wife is a RN and works with a great number of canadian nurses(who left the canadian system) with horror stories about Canada's national health care program.
    So my answer is yes!!! I will call and urge them to reject a national disaster.

Joe Mussell (Minnesota)

July 24, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  64. Jack Carlson

Absolutely ! They need to clean up the fraud and the lazy regulators need to get tot work – and the scam on the America People called Health Care Reform, now changed to Health Care Ins need to be stopped. The truly poor have medicare and the others don't want Ins, or they are illegal aliens.
    Jack C
    WA

July 24, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  65. Ray Lawson from Danville, VA

I have told my 2 Senators and my local representative that I am against the healthcare plan and I will keep telling them until they come up with something I can support.
    I am sick and tired of them ramming through bills when they haven't taken the time to learn what is in them.
    The bills should be explained in much more depth by the news media but they don't take the time to know what is in them either. They would rather talk about Michael Jackson.

July 24, 2009 at 3:11 pm |
  66. Jason, Knoxville

Yes, I will tell them I don't want somebody in Washington telling me what care I can and cannot have. We also cannot afford a huge health care reform at this time because of all the wasteful bailouts and high national debt.

July 24, 2009 at 3:11 pm |
  67. Vinnie Vino

Jack,

Not in this life time, what any of us has to say is pointless unless they can use what you have to say to support thier position on health-care...

Vinnie Vino
    Central Islip, N.Y.

July 24, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  68. Michael McDowell from Ft. Hood Texas

Jack, I am attending a large rally in Dallas tomorrow for healthcare reform. And we will be protesting at the offices of our federal representatives who have abdicated their responsibilities on this extremely important issue. This is the American Bastille Day for many people who feel that Congress has been bought and paid for by healthcare special interests. And our goal is too get the reform that is needed or we shall vote them out of office.

July 24, 2009 at 3:16 pm |
  69. Joe from Massachusetts

Yes, I plan to contact Congressman Ed Markey. I do not believe that I will be able to keep my insurance. The reference to keeping the insurance you like means that employers providing insurance can keep it if they like It does not mean the individual has the choices. My employer provides my insurance and if given the option to switch to a cheaper carrier, they will without regard to the deminished coverage offerred. The Massachusetts GIC experiment is failing miserably and further expansion of it to rest of the nation is not what we need. Congress needs to slow down and get this right.

July 24, 2009 at 3:17 pm |
  70. Jan Illinois

If they don't know that we need health care by now they don't care, contacting them would be a waste of time, the only time they pay attention! Election year.

July 24, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  71. Richard, Syracuse, NY

YES. We can not leave this up to the lies of the Republican Party. The last time the Republicans got involved with Health Care we ended up with HMO's and I don't know of 5 people who liked their HMO.

July 24, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  72. Sandra in Temecula, CA

Like they care about any of the taxpayers concerns. We are the ATM machine for the politicians and they will make withdrawls until the machine is empty. If they cared they would see that most Americans oppose this plan they are trying to force feed us, but yet Pelosi and company insist on bankrupting America as they have done to California.

July 24, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  73. Kevin in CA

No. I and other voters already did that in the last election.

July 24, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  74. Bill

YES... I am not going to sit back and watch this President turn us into a sociofascist country.

July 24, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  75. Susan - Corona, CA

Jack,

What difference will it make? The only chance for the Congressmen to listen to voters is when there is a threat to their re-election. So instead of calling them, I would like the Congress to make the record public so every voter would know how many DAYS our congremen are working and on what...Exactly how much and what they care for voters...

Susan
    Corona, CA

July 24, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  76. wanda j brown

Jack;
    Yes I fully intend to contact my senators from Mississippi. However, the fact that they both are Republican I guess my effort will be wasted.
    The GOP wants to continue the status quo and these two from Miss are the typical crusty old white men from the South. So I guess I'll keep my pre-existing condition until I go bankrupt or DIE.

July 24, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  77. Jim in Tx.

I have already sent e-mails to Hutchison,Coryn and Neugebauer.Guess what? They all oppose public option.Who knew?

July 24, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  78. Tim, Red Lion PA

Yes I will. Will be a first in my 42 years of being a registered voter. Healthcare for everyone is important, the cost is too high, with those currently covered (paying) also paying for those who cannot pay (going to the emergency room for primary care).
    Everyone paying their fair share is also important. Our current healthcare is too expensive, does not work for all, and puts a profit-focused insurance company between doctor and patient.

Having a single payer is the most cost-efficient, best way to reduce costs and improve the standard of care for the most people. Don't want to participate – fine, stick with your current insurance company.

The "public option" term being bandied about better mean single payer.

July 24, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  79. Tom, Avon, Me, The Heart of Democracy

My Congressman and Senator are Mike Michaud and Olympia Snowe. As the saying goes, Maine leads, Dirigo. We'll be out of this mess if America follows.

July 24, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  80. Chuck in warren, Ohio

Jack: Everyone in this country needs to not only contact their Congressman & Sentor, but also let them know they will be voted out of office if they don't pass a healthcare bill this year. The time for delay after delay is over. It's time to stand up and do their job or get out of the way!

July 24, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  81. Jay in Texas

No, because it would do no good. Both Texas senators and the congressman from my district are right-wing Radical Republicans. They already know that I am in favor of single-payer, not-for-profit health care so I am not for the President's giveaway package for the insurance and drug corporations.
    Brownwood, Texas

July 24, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  82. Michael, Alexandria, VA

My congressman is usually a reliable liberal, although he has caved in to financial interests in the past, so I will likely drop him a line.

July 24, 2009 at 3:27 pm |
  83. Karen - TN

Jack, with some reps it would just be a waste of time. I previously contacted the senators of my state regarding a hot-button issue. Senator A's office responded immediately with a courteous note. Senator B responded weeks later with an email addressed to someone else on a different topic.

July 24, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  84. Dennis

Jack, I already have, several times. I tell my wife letting politicians know how we stand on this subject is my own form of health care reform. It might not do any good but I feel better!

Dennis / Hartsville, Tn.

July 24, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  85. David-Wilmington NC

Yes...and if they don't vote for a public option I won't vote for them.

July 24, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  86. Doris/St Louis

I will, as all thoughtful and concerned Americans should, it dosen't matter if you have insurance or not, the good or bad health of one person effects all of us.

July 24, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  87. Ann from Hampton, New Jersey

You betcha! Pages 16, 17 and 425 are not in favor of seniors. We will be forced to cancel our insurance and take their low HMO insurance. We will have some bureaucrat, that does not know us, decide if we should have basic health care if we get and incurable illness or dementia. It will be mandatory that every 5 years we get counseling from them. I like the insurance I have. I can pick my own doctor and hospital. I do not want the government controling my health!

July 24, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  88. Ken -- Beaverton, MI

Absolutely! I don't know what good it will do, when more than 60% of citizens wanted no Stimulus and Bailout bills and they decided they knew better than those of us paying the bill. And, when I lose my health care I'll just sign up for ObamaCare and wait months for needed health care.

July 24, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  89. Barry Wantagh NY

It is imperative to let your congressional representative know that you want action on Health Care NOW. Don't forget congress' main speed is very slow. We must light a fire under these people to get Health Care reform passed.

July 24, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  90. chris

what's the point they don't listen to us average taxpayers anyways if only i was the owner of exxon mobil, a health clinic,or hospital then they would listne to me

July 24, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  91. Ted Beaverton, OR

Most certainly I will contact my Senators. My Congressman has been fighting for it for years. Many legislators are too ignorant about the problem.  They sit around in their committee rooms and discuss their careers and power to kill bills. Then they formulate their combined arrogance thru nonsensical talking points, followed by an empty room sound bite for TV that elevates their self-made pedestal.

I hope this break from the regular session provides them with an EARFUL and some BUTT KICKING from their constituents on what Americans need and want. ALL Americans deserve healthcare.

This is one issue that getting on the short side of and paying no attention to the 47 million without it will doom their consideration in 2010. If your Rep is against healthcare for all, just follow his/her campaign contributions. Opensecrets.org.

July 24, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  92. william fitzwater

I already have . I'm impressed by that. I am a average person and talk to a secretary of your representative and they listen to you. They DON"T necessary will do what you want to do .

That's the rub.

July 24, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  93. Deborah

Absolutely! I have already written to both my Arizona senators, John McCain and Jon Kyl, urging them to support health care reform, and I plan to visit their offices during the August recess. If the Republicans in Congress think August is going to be a big vacation for them, they've got another thing coming. Their strategies to derail health insurance reform are not going to work. Sooner or later they must come to the table and do the work that we elected them to do and get health insurance reform passed by the end of the year.

Understand that this is about health insurance reform. It means people who don't have insurance now will be able to get it. People who are denied coverage by private insurance companies more concerned about their profits than paying for care will no longer be denied. If your premiums are too expensive, you will have more affordable insurance plans to choose from. Pre-existing conditions won't matter. If you lose your job, want to change jobs or want to start your own business, your insurance will go with you. This reform is something America desperately needs.

Deborah
    Phoenix, AZ

July 24, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  94. Jeffrey from LA, California

Id like to call to check up and make sure they are working on their summer homework.

July 24, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  95. Jerry Jacksonville, Fl.

The ones we have in Florida can't spell health care, their only interest is to stuff their pockets with money from the health care lobbyist.

July 24, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  96. Jack Martin

Jack
    You can bet on it. Even the republican senator will hear from me. I have medicare and avoid using it as much as possible. Those people, like our congressmen, who have healthcare and find excuses to deny it to others sicken me.

Boynton Beach FL 33436

July 24, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  97. Ron from SF

Oh brother are they. How dare they come home with this issue still out there! We’ve got 400 people per day, dying for lack of heath care and these morons take a vacation! It’s been going on for 61 years and they worry about rushing things? What part of clueless don’t they get? Here’s how I’m going to explain it for them: “If you don’t get off the dime and give us a government option, you’re not going to be there after your next election”. I couldn’t be more furious over this and I know I’m not alone. It’s long past time we stopped leaving our most vulnerable to the mercerizes of the Insurance companies. No other civilized country in the world does this and it’s why we are at the bottom of heath care outcomes, per dollar spent.

July 24, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  98. Jeff in Glen Carbon IL

I was hoping to contact them and say "thank you for doing your job and getting the bill passed!" but I guess I will now have to contact them and say, "if it doesn't pass because you waited too long, you got your last vote from me."

July 24, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  99. Kim Smith, Dodge City, Kansas

I'm pretty sure our elected representatives will not be available to take calls while they are on vacation. Instead there will be some automated message taker that either may, or may not, be cheerfully reminding us to vote for them next time.

July 24, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  100. ben stockton, calif

no, im not going to contact anyone about the health care.. i watched the CNN clip by obama but while a lot of good questions were asked not one word or comment whether we would insure all illegal aliens.. i think only legal americans that are citizens should be under that umbrella plan.. we cannot for fiscal reasons insure the illegal aliens... BEN

July 24, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  101. Jon, Atlanta Ga.

No I will wait until 2010 to vote another Republican out of office.

July 24, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  102. Gigi

Yes, but I will be to asking him why he is home rather than working and voting on the health bill.
    They are the ones who put Obama in the White House over Clinton. Why are they not supporting him 100% at this point? The Super delegates voted inexperience over experience. Then left him high and dry. The people went along with Obama and the Democrat's with "We want change". Pres. Obama presses for health care which the people wanted and the Super delegates now are dragging their feet. Was it just a ploy to win an election?
    That's the question I want answered.

Oregon

July 24, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  103. SHARON: Anchorage, Alaska

YES. This entire process does not need to be stopped; but it does need to be SLOWED down and reviewed to the 10th degree. Think of the MATRIX movie – what can you see when things are slowed down? With over one thousand pages to read, amend and more; the FINAL DRAFT that is proposed (on whatever date) should have a requirement of 10 more additional days or 10 weeks to review by ALL parties (before the vote takes place). Most Americans want their own coverage & a backup plan for Americans in need; yet want to review the bill themselves, not just trust the politicians who have led us here.

July 24, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  104. Nancy, Tennessee

No, I think, I shall take a recess from all the anguish I've endured since January 20th watching all the fighting going on in Washington. Insomnia has me watching the news at hours unheard of my civil men. A break from all the hooplah will do us all good. Ready for some rest, Jack?

July 24, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  105. Katiec Pekin, IL

Yes, I will contact them while on vacation. Have tried to while they are in session but the problem is, Jack, the majority of them will not accept correspondance, comments on the web except from their
    districts. They make crucial decisions concerning the welfare of
    all of us, yet we are not able to contact them.
    Health care reform is too important to let fail.
    Meanwhile, the insurance companies will continue to have record
    breaking profits, more and more will have to file bankruptcy due
    to medical costs and Lord knows how many will die because of
    lack of medical care. What a system we have.

July 24, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  106. Rus in St. Paul, MN

I already have, I asked why Congress is exempt from the public option. I'm not expecting a response.

July 24, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  107. Shelly Loveland, Ohio

Jack, The only way that I would want to contact my representitive in Congress is with a slap across the face. I believe that we ellected all of these people, whether they are in the house or the senate, to do a job. If I told my boss that they would have to just wait until I got done with my vacation I would be unemployeed. We should hold our government to the same standard.

July 24, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  108. Sally Stutlien

Jack-I have contacted all my representatives in North Dakota (one is a chairperson). I suggested they forego a vacation like many of their constituents have had to due to the crippling cost of healthcare! Or better yet go to Canada–which borders us and investigate why they have a better (according to polling) healthcare system at a fraction of the cost and get better results!

July 24, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  109. Meg from Troy, Ohio

Jack–
    I certainly will. Congress needs to work together to improve health care for all Americans. I don't think that they need a month's vacation either.

July 24, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  110. JoAnn in Iowa

Yes, I will be contacting them! And I hope they have constituent meetings close to my city while they are on break so I can talk to them face-to-face. One of my senators is Grassley. (Sorry, everybody) He is working really hard to maintain insurance company profits. As a self-employed person, I need an affordable alternative to profit driven insurance. We need big changes in health care and the republicans are trying to block the way in the name of politics.

July 24, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  111. Kevin

I already have contacted my representative and told her that I do not want government in my health care, but I doubt she'll listen.

July 24, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  112. ronvan

Jack: Why should I waste my time. They will do what they want regardless of what the American people need! How about holding their pay while out playing?

July 24, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  113. Elaine in DC

Yes. I will contact my representative although she has no vote on the matter that I know of. I would like her to ask the Blue Dog Dems who are saying we can't pay for reform one question: How will you pay for healthcare 5 or 10 years from now if there is no reform?

July 24, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  114. Neil

I would love to urge my Congressman to work with the White House on an equitable healthcare bill, but my Congressional representative is Tom McClintock. He's made his position of opposition clear from the get-go, and talking to him is like talking to a brick wall that quotes Abraham Lincoln.

July 24, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  115. James Richmond VA

I have already contacted both senators and the representative of my district to request that they support Obama's health care reform. I plan to do it agin and again in August.

July 24, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  116. Jim Blevins

I have already contacted each of them several times and will continue to do so. We have been at this for 50 years - more time is not what is needed.

Jim, Craig, CO

July 24, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  117. Cathy

Since very few of us who are still working get four weeks vacation a year I don't believe any of our representatives "get it." Perhaps we should cancel all of their health insurance until they come up with a plan. See if there would be a rush to compromise and complete a reasonable plan.

July 24, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  118. Ken in NC

It is my intention to contact him during the recess and to give him a harsh reminder at election time. Should he not get the message during recess, he is sure to get it at the ballot box.

July 24, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  119. jim

You bet.....Especially with Perry being governor....I cannot believe anybody is against reforming our awful health care system. Millions without any, millions more losing coverage by being laid off, millions more being denied coverage because of pre-existing conditions. The time is now, or never, probably.

July 24, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  120. donRoberto

YES...If I can find him! they will be "busy" and "not have the time"; just wondering, iF their health coverage good, HOW GOOD!!!!

July 24, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  121. Eileen

yes, I already have contacted my representatives and told them NOT to vote for this health plan. I do not want the government telling me who, when and what for. No one has even read this plan yet! Please tell me how they can vote for something that is not even understandable. No one knows for sure how it will affect people. I will tell my representatives to vote for a health care plan only when the Senators, congressmen and all the politicians argree to be on the same plan.

July 24, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  122. John Camp

Jack,

John Camp
    Phenix City Alabama

PS. I have that letter and would be happy to fax it to you or your producers

July 24, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  123. Andrea, Colorado

No... it wouldn't matter, they don't do anything anyways... I think their motto is "look busy"...
    It sure would be nice if we could get representatives who actually like to WORK.... or better yet, read

July 24, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  124. Doreen

A BIG YES TO THAT QUESTION!!!! And, I will tell them that I thoroughly support the President in pushing the slow moving Legislature to act to ensure health insurance for every legal citizen.

July 24, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  125. Eric Troup

Yes. The inconsistency between what President Obama's promises with health care reform and what appears to be actually written into the bill means I will tell every representative to kill this bill.

July 24, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  126. Susan Hambelton

Absolutely... just did it today. If they are only required to be in session 90 days a year... a little OT for their constituents is in order. Besides a 1,000 page bill is equal to the "harry Potter" series,,, and I bet they all could do that in a weekend !!

July 24, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  127. Marlene

Yes I will call my congressman during their recess. We cannot let the Republicans stop the health care train this time.

July 24, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  128. Jack Beslanwitch

Already have several times. As a fifty seven year old without health care I am acutely interested in the outcome of this issue and not happy to find myself among the forty plus million who are also without health care. I will be sending more missives in my representatives direction to make sure that they do indeed follow through and not just give lip service to the American public who who do not have health, are in danger of losing health care or do have sufficient health care to stave off bakruptcy or in the case of pre existing conditions the possibility of death by insurance company.

July 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  129. mary

I'll be in touch for sure.... but not just to tell them to keep the government out of my health care. My husband has a serious stroke 3 months ago and I can tell you that the insurance company made almost as many decisions on what care he could have as his medical staff did. Health care needs to be between the Dr. and patient. Things need to be changed to keep everyone else out! Congress needs to fix things so people don't need to go without the care they need because of bureaucracy, neither government nor insurance.

July 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  130. W Kennedy

We've told our representatives that providing health care with dignity for the working poor is the very least that one American can do for another. Why is it our compassion only seems to get expressed on the battlefield?
    Shame on us!

July 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  131. Donald Buchanan

Absolutely America cannot afford anymore help from our government.

July 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  132. James Lenon - Chuckey TN

Yes, I'll contact my congressperson and senators. But since they are all Republicans and able to hear only the voices of insurance company execs and lobbyists, I have to hope that other legislators will be able to hear the voice of the people who need healthcare reform.

I think a phone call every hour may be needed; particularly at dinner time and after ten at night.

July 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  133. Stephen Yeager

I have contacted my senator, and my Rep twice on this issue already and will continue to give them my opinion.
    Steve

July 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  134. Rick Martin

Yes Jack,

I contacted my representatives ... and I told them how I felt! That to not vote on heath care reform before the recess and leaving to go on vacation that they were cowards!

Rick Martin
    Charlottesville, VA

July 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  135. Esther Carmany

I will contact my congressman to ask "Why won't the President, Vice president, and all legislators agree to include themselves on the proposed health care legislation? If it is as good as they say, they should lead by example and put themselves on the same plan as the rest of us."

July 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  136. Anne

You've got to be kidding, Jack. Our representative only talks to his rich Republican contributors at country club type settings when he visits our town. The riff raff (Democrats) are not wanted, not included, and not invited.

Anne
    Texas.

July 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  137. Allen, Cypress

Jack, No I will not contact my Congressional representative. I live in a district where my vote doesn't count. MY representative already made up his mind not to vote for anything proposed by this President even though, he voted for everything proposed by the last one. My proof is the fact that he hadn't voted for anything with the administration yet. So, why should I bother?

July 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  138. Marie

I am a Democrat and have already contacted both senators and my congressman to voice my opposition to the President's health care reform. I do intend to also visit the contressman's local office during the August recess.

139. Alan

The answer is yes. They will get an earfull about how if they cannot manage our money how are they going to manage our Health Insurance. I believe most of Americans are anxiously awaiting the next elections. We cannot afford another Amtrak!

Alan

Oregon

140. Darren

My State's elected representatives are already onboard with healthcare reform. The real obsticle is all the money those lobbyists are filling our Congressment's pockets with to stand with them and oppose said public option, ensuring a freer and fairer playing field.

141. Fred Whitermore

I have contacted congressman Rooney's office already and explained to Jess his office staff that is over this particular situation and have been told he will not support the President's Health Care. I can see why he wouldn't want to because we already pay for his health care and he defianetly does not have any concern about our health care. He wil be affected in paying higher taxes due to his income. Sad that the indivduals we send to Washington does not really work for the people back in there districts.

142. James Richmond VA

I have already contacted both senators of my state and the representative of my district to request that they support Obama's health care reform. I will do it again and again in August.

143. Kathy Rayford

I have already contacted my congress person and asked her to vote in favor of the healthcare plan that is being put through congress. As a person who lost a job a year ago and at the same time, lost my health care, I feel it is imperative that something be done not just for me but, for those who are in the same situation. It is the right thing to do.

144. Dan Collins

Yes, I will and I will tell them to stop the socialized takeover and vote against healthcare (or insurance or whatever re-labeling they try) reform. There does not appear to be any concern for the American citizens, but just a desire to control them. Cap and Trade, Healthcare Reform, the economy, education, and whatever is next a just blatant attempts to submit America to its government.

145. Jane - WI

I'll be contacting my Senators. Unfortunately, they are both Democrats and march to the tune of Obama and Senator Reid. What their constituents say is irrelevant. It's all about party voting for my Democrat Senators.

146. Rosalind Singleton

I have been a nurse for 37 years. Healthcare is predominantly end of life expensive care. I cantacted 2 senators and one congressman to support healthcare reform.Our emergeny rooms have become doctors' offices.

147. Jack Medley

Honestly, do you really think my representative will listen to me? Really? The political " VIP Club" that runs our country, snubs their noses at us. If I had a billion dollars, then maybe someone might listen to me, but that's only if I make promises to politicians for "support" or money. It's time to help the majority of America, not the well-to-do minority.

148. Dot

Definitely, I will contact my representative about health care. I do NOT want the government telling me what you do about my health. I am satisfied with the health care plans that I have!

149. Betty Bartmann

I will contact my Congressmen. Unfortunately, I live in South Carolina where our half-witted, narrow-minded representatives have made a laughing stock of this state. Between Demint's "Waterloo" and Sanford's opining on his "soul mate", I expect they have little time to pull their heads out of the right-wing sand to think about our health care during their upcoming vacations.

Betty Bartmann
    Charleston, SC

150. Peggy

Yes, I will contact my congresspeople on this issue, although I don't think that, here in Texas, It will do much good. The Republicans are more concerned with " opposing the Prez" than the needs of the people. Both of our Senators are Repubs.

151. Henrie

Yes, I will as I have been all along. Not sure anyone can compete with the big money in medical and pharmaceutal industries and politians all have great insurance. Not sure they care. Too many talk about government making their health care decisions – who do they think makes them now – health insurance companies denying everything they can to make profits.

152. Zunny Matema

I already have called everyone who dares to call themselves a representative of the people. Next step - Meet them in their offices!

153. Matt from Libertyville,IL

Jack,

Yes I will, my Congressman is Mark Kirk, who just so happens to running for Senate, will need all of the Democrats on his side as possible and his support of health care in the deep blue state of Illinois is key to his success.

154. LUCI - ILLINOIS

Yes I will. I will say, "pass the health care bill, as we need it very bad". The ones that are against it, are either Republican or wealthy. Both are anti everything.

155. Givonna

Yes, I will contact them.

They need to keep working. I have been denied insurance simply because I have a heart that skips a beat occasionally.
    I am healthy otherwise, but I am deep trouble if something should happen to me.

156. Tom, Virginia Beach

Yes, I do plan to contact my congressman. This is an important issue that we can solve. I also plan to contact the office of Jim De Mint to let him know I help him face his waterloo in the next election.

157. Janice Schock

Of course I contact my representative – the only Republican in the Oregon delegation to the detriment of the constituency. -regarding the
    stupidity (if I may use the term) of the proposed (sub rosa) Obamacare plan. Also, Ron Wyden who has a great health care plan that even the Wall St. Journal notes seems to be studiously ignored.

158. Mike

Yes, They should make it good enough to include members of both houses, executive branch and federal employees.

159. Dennis in Owensboro

Jack, I constantly contact Sen. McConnell, but apparently he like to play silly games in Washington instead of helping Kentuckians get HealthCare. I'm praying other senators will actually do something productive.

160. Nidia Cota

Of course I will contact Congress and I am going to do it before they leave and ask them to take me on vacation with them. After all it is our taxes footing the bill. As far as health care these group of politicians are not interested in passing anything that has to do with health care reform. It would be going against their own selfish interest. After all the insurance and pharmaceuticals companies contribute to their political campaigns and they are not going to give that up.

161. Patricia Wallis from Utah

I have called the Congress and I will continue to call.
    I believe in Health Care Reform.

162. Barbara-Arlington,TX

I have already contacted my Representatives, and asked them to vote against government managed healthcare. Also, I will contact them again and again if necessary.
    Some reform is necessary, but not the kind Ms. Pelosi and her liberals are recommending.
    We need to slow down the SPENDING! Thks! Barbara

163. Lyn

I most certainly will be contacting my representatives. Whatever fiasco they vote in, make all Amreicans suffer under and finish destroying our economy with ... should be required for all members of Congress and the President and Judiciary as well. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

July 24, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  164. Denise

I already have, Jack. This is too important.

July 24, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  165. Jerry - San Antonio

We have been contacting every congressman, senator and the White House for a couple of days and will continue to do that. This bill will destroy the greatest health care on earth if passed.

July 24, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  166. Charles Davies

Jack,

Yes! We send these law makers to Washington to be paid by the insurance companies. They forget who they should be representing and put their greed on the front burner.

Charles
    Columbus, OH

July 24, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  167. Nick/Charleston SC

Having spent the first 36 years of my life in England and having had two surgeries there I can inform everyone there is nothing wrong with a National Health System. Unfortunately the people in this country who are making the most noise against President Obamas plans are the ones who can already afford Health Insurance. I find it amazing that the worlds most poweful country is so obsessed by greed that people just dont care if their fellow citizens live or die. I have already contacted my State senators to remingd them that they work for the people of South Carolina and not for the lobbyists who support insurance, and drug companies

July 24, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  168. Margaret Anzevino

When I was in college 55 years ago, I wrote a long paper about the necessity of a health care policy for our country. I'll continue now my advocacy for health care by writing my legislators. But now since their won't be any voting until after August, I believe I will go my grave without seeing any health care solution. May I and it rest in peace.

Margaret – St. Paul, MN

July 24, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  169. Marsha from Kansas

I have contacted my representatives several times but it does no good. All of my representatives are Republican. When I hear back from them all they do is give me multiple reasons why my opinion does not matter.

July 24, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  170. Bertha in SC

I've already contacted them. I contact them periodically about various issues, but here's the rub. I live in SC so I'm dealing with Graham, DeMint and Sanford. That speaks for itself. Can you say "vote Democrat in 2010".

July 24, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  171. jeannie scown

Or congressional members are Kyl, McCain, and Flake......we have been kicked out of McCain's Phoenix office front yard....they don't listen to us, however, those Dems in Nevada, New Mexico, and Colorado better beware. We in Arizona are the ones who walk their neighborhoods for them when elections come. We are also the ones who fund their campaigns. We have written DNC chair to give them NO DNC funds if they don't come through. They need to stay in Washington or they may find themselves on a permanent vacation!

July 24, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  172. Dan, Jacksonville

You betcha!!! And my first question will be; Why are you here when over 14,000 people are losing their health insurance each day?

July 24, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  173. Alan

I am thoroughly upset with the delay and will contact my representatives know this. I am tired of the Democrates thinking they need bi partisenship. The Republicans are for no and nothing for the country. Why should we care what they think. So it really comes down to the Blue Cross Democrates lying to everyone that they are democrates.

July 24, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  174. Michael Mangum

Yes I am. Health reform is really needed in our country. I DON'T HAVE ANY HEALTH CARE. WE HAVE BEEN WAITING A LONG TIME FOR AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE. I really don't understand the DO NOTHING BUT BLOCK republicans. They really don't care about this country and her citizens. I was a republican for 20 years, until this election, to be a republican meant more of the same, the rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer. I don't like the division here between the wealthy and middle class and poor. Give us a break! Get this done! now! PLEASE!. We need this now.

July 24, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  175. Mel Snyder

You bet I will, Jack. I was one of the few Americans who could afford COBRA when I lost my job – $1600 a month. When it expired, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts, to which my employer and I had paid so much for years, refused a policy for me and my kids because of a pre-existing condition, which left me no choice but a $2000 a month assigned-risk pool policy in CT.

I'm now on Medicare. Know anyone 65 plus who doesn't want to be in that government program? Sure beats any private insurance I ever had. Don't listen to those who tell you how awful a "public option" is – it's a lot less intrusive than the Republicans and blue-dogs claim.

July 24, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  176. Liz from Florida

Yes I will be happy to contact my representative. We all have to fight for healthcare, its our right as Americans.
    The republican senators are foolish not to recognize that the american people are fed up. I know many people who have left the republican party because of their greed and lack of humanity.
    Fight for our rights, God bless America

July 24, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  177. Dan

I definitely do plan on contacting my U.S. Senators and Representative during the recess. I will encourage all three to work for a real health care reform bill that will include a public option to promote competition in the Health Insurance market, an exchange for all those who want to comparison shop among the different insurance plans, not allow any insurance on the exchange that will disallow anyone with a preexisting condition from getting covered, and subsidies for those that can't afford health insurance. I will also scold them for taking time off, when the peoples business isn't done.

Unfortunately, one of my Senators, Dianne Feinstein, doesn't seem to be interested in getting anything done on this. My comments to her will be particularly smoldering.

July 24, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  178. lee in MN

I already have. I have a progressive case of ALS and find the health care system broken and corrupt. I have been lucky to have transitioned from a insurance paid health care system to Veterans Affairs as I am a vet. I am a lucky person to get VA services which far surpassed previous services. On a scale of 1o0, my VA services get a 10 while insurance paid providers I give a 2.5.

People say why the rush?? U nder the current system innocent victims are dieing every day from lack of adequate health care, not to mention how families are being financially destryed.

WE NEED CHANGE NOW... NOT A DAY SHOULD PASS WITHOUT MAJOR REFORM.

I know YOU understand Jack.

July 24, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  179. Dan, Jacksonville

YES!!!!!! And my first question will be; Why are you here when over 14,000 people are losing their health insurance each day?

July 24, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  180. Liz, PA

Yes, I plan to keep in touch w/ my Congressmen and Senators over recess. With people dying daily from lack of health care, it is scandalous that our elected officials are taking a recess. Shame on them.
    The people of America deserve better. This nation CAN provide health care. How many people will have unnecessarily died by the time the bill is passed? What a waste!

July 24, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  181. Kimberly

ABSOLUTELY! I'll call. Imagine that! Laid off back in December, allot of things I want to do and see, dreams to fulfill, and no insurance means no skiing or really doing anything physical for fear I may get injured in this wonderful State of Colorado. Most folks act so disconnected and that is scary to me. The only one connecting to the United States citizens is President Obama. He is wonderful. He says it like it is and I admire that but so many words get twisted. The Devil is in those who want to detail every little thing. Umbelievable.

July 24, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  182. Erlene

Congress has shown a complete lack of concern for those of us losing jobs, health care, and homes, and retirement plans by taking a vacation from their four (if we're lucky) day work week that entitles them to set their own salaries, be recipients of complete medical coverage, and enjoy a retirement package equaled by none. I plan to express my feelings at the polls next time around. My motto: INCUMBENT NOT!

July 24, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  183. Mark-Tacoma Wa.

Probably not. What good will it do. I vote and where I live I'm pretty confident that my representatives will act accordingly. And I've never spent a night in a hospital. I'm sure the many who have had extensive health care will do the yelling just fine without me.

July 24, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  184. Mike

I did contact my congressman. I told him the Republicans have no new ideas and he should sit down and shut up. My congressman is Senator Jim DeMint.

July 24, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  185. Jerry

Yes, I already have been, This is not the time during the worst recession in American history to take such an irreversable gamble possibly bankrupting the United States.The priority of this is rated 4th on the list, the economy is the most important thing right now. An estimated 20 million people are with out insurance, and were going to change the whole system for a minority of the population. I haven't even thought abot my health care for 8 years, Now all of a sudden my health care that my wife and I pay for might be gone. I will have no choice.I don't want to pay for anybody elses health care,and yes this would include illegal immigrants.This is not America's top Priority.

July 24, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  186. Eugene

Why bother? My Congressman (C.W. "Bill" Young) has spent his 20 terms taking corporate money and bringing pork to our county. He has no interest in what ordinary people might need. By the way, I'd rather have a dispassionate government official administer my healthcare than a penurious insurance company clerk.

St. Petersburg, FL

July 24, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  187. Kate Topeka, Ks

No, I won't be contacting my congresswoman. She is a republican and it wouldn't do any good. She will vote against anything Obama is for, good or bad. I think Pres. Obama is on the right track but fear health care reform will be stopped by the republicans. Maybe we should take their health care from them, we are the people who sent them to Congress.

July 24, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  188. bob jones

Jack
    YES, my wife & I will be contacting our two Senators to encourage them
    to vote for health care reform, and to include a Public option. My wife
    & I are on medicare and a drug supliment for about $125 each
    per month. Our working son and his wife both work but can't afford
    $480 each per month, but would like to see a public option for
    aboutl the same amount we pay. Also we are in favor of taking
    the medical decisions away from the health care providers and give
    it to the doctors. Also if the health care providers would NOT spend
    money on lobyist paying off the Republicans to vote NO, there would
    be more available money to cut premiums.

Bob
    Minnnesota

July 24, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  189. Mitch

I have, repeatedly, but I'm in AZ and they're all Republicans. If health care reform would be bettered by expanding gun rights and ownership, then my state's congressmen would fight to the grave for reform and my voice would be heard. Fortunately and unfortunately, that doesn't fit into the equation.

July 24, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  190. Mike M.

Absolutely Jack, but unlike most of your viewers, I will be letting my representatives know that the day they put my family's health in the hands of a bureaucrat and force me to pay for the health care of illegal immigrants and other non-taxpaying individuals, is the day they lose my vote for good.

July 24, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  191. Ric in Seattle

Jack, to quote a famous American, "You betcha!"

Yesterday, as soon as i heard that a bill on healthcare reform was being delayed, I set out to contact every Senator about my concern.

Here is what I said: "I'm concerned that many, many Americans that do not have access to healthcare may be dying prematurely with each day that passes without action by Congress.

Please do the right thing and act urgently to approve healthcare for all Americans.

This is not only an issue affecting businesses, families and our economy, this is literally a matter of life and death!"

We hear about tragedy each day on the news except when it happens one life at a time as in the lack of adequate healthcare!

Today I will continue to contact the rest of the entire Senate with my concern.
    Thanks, Jack!

July 24, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  192. carolyn cross

Jack, I live in the midst of one of the country's worst infestations of Republicans and it would be a waste of my time. Besides, my Congressman is a retired doctor, so go figure!

July 24, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  193. Jack - Lancaster, OH

Jack:

I agree with several other Cafferty bloggers here. The elected make grand mistakes or favored loopholes when they HAVE ample time. So rushing them to do something would produce expensive disaster like the stimulus and bailout quickies. Besides, writing to them while they are on recess presumes they will read it when they get back when we know they don't read what they pass when they are (working?).

July 24, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  194. Joel in Dubuque

Jack,
    Of course, I write Senator Grassley several times a week asking him to support health care. You must remember that he is number two in taking donations from the Health Care Industry. They are probably buying him a new farm here in Iowa as we speak. He's so full of them, it would be easier to get Rush Limbaugh to become a Democrat.

July 24, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  195. David

Why contact them. They won't listen to us anyway. We must get them on social security and have them pay for there own health ins before they can select a plan for us. At this point I have lost complete comfidence in our government. We do need change. Drug compaiies will make billions off this again.

July 24, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  196. Larry Younger

I'm not going to wait until August to contact my congressmen re: health care reform. I did so yesterday and intend to recommend that everyone on my cell phone list do the same. Millions of uninsured Amercians – a group to which I'm not proud to belong – do not have the luxury of waiting while our representatives endlessly debate this issue. Peoples' health – their very lives – depends on action NOW!

My prediction if health care ISN'T reformed within the next 5 months: It'll be Congress' last stand!

July 24, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  197. Ralph Russell

I will be contacting my congressmen and women and letting them know that I am very concerned about this bill.

July 24, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  198. Mitch Dworkin

The answer is "No" Jack because the congressional representative in my Texas district has a very safe seat. He can do anything that he wants to and he would still get reelected short of scandals the size of Mark Sanford, John Ensign, and Eliot Spitzer all put together happening to him!

So what is the use of my contacting him unless he will be in a seriously competitive race the next time he is on the ballot? How about term limits for congressional representatives to keep them honest and to make future congressional races more competitive when new people have to run?

July 24, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  199. Rita Roach

Jack, I've been sending e-mails to my senators & congressman all week about healthcare. I've received the same old replies. We are thinking things through. We want to do what's right . Blah,blah,blah. Just think, if these politicians' livelyhood depended on running their own business , would they stop in the middle of a crisis and take a 4 week vacation? I think we all know that answer. Of course they're only working for us so there's the casual attitude that has gotten us into this mess to begin with. Oh, by the way my representative is one of the Blue Dog group. I think it's time they stopped chasing their own tails & do something for us that really matters.

July 24, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  200. Dave Robertson

Both my Senators, Ron Wyden and Jeff Merkley, are on the right side of this issue. To those members of Congress who are working to once again deny the American people that which citizens of every developed nation on earth enjoy, universal healthcare, I say that were they to succeed it would amount to a crime against humanity and should be dealt with as such. I wish that everyone had watched the Bill Moyers Journal episode on PBS about the healthcare industry and its relationship with Wall Street, but unfortunately there are many people in the U.S. who would rather let themselves be bamboozled by lying big-money special interests who will (and are) stoop to any level to keep the money coming in for the greedy, priviledged few. WAKE UP, AMERICA! Don't let an insurance company bureaucrat get between you and your Doctor!

July 24, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  201. Janet Easpen

I will be contacting my representatives – and while I want a vote on the President's plan, I think it is good to step back and look at the various approaches and ideas that are out there and cherry pick them where possible – everyone should be entitled to some basic coverage, just as they are entitled to a decent public education. On the other hand, those who can pay for it should be able to spend their money on exceptional care, if that is their choice. That includes insurance plans, and speedier access. I like the concept that we are all entitled to our place in line, but for a higher fee you can trade up – like a FastPass at Disney. We need to move beyond the nightmare of treating routine cases gone amok in the emergency room. Preventative care is always wiser – financially, too. Ideally, we find some way to condition benefits on taking acre of our health – like mandatory smoking cessation, alcohol and drug therapy and weight control built in.

July 24, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  202. bob graham / Denver

A strange question Jack, considering nearly all representatives and senators are the reason we are in a mess.

If I thought they had any real answers I would listen and call...It hasn't done any good in the past and removal of the whole bunch is the right answer.

Why would I waste a call to those who have been "In Your Face" adamant about everything, and wrong in all instances.

I will let them hear me from the voting booth....Where everyone else should go and do likewise.

July 24, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  203. Dennis Gregory

I received an email from Cornyn telling me everything he was opposing Obama and the Democrats for proposing. Sotomayor, gun control, healthcare etc. I tried to reply but Cornyn's email system is down. Should I assume that most of the GOP's email is on vacation???

July 24, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  204. Kathy Kirkman

Jack, Not only have I contacted my so called representatives, this week, I will continue to do so every week until they return. Then I plan to call them a couple times a week. I'm afraid, though, you see I live in Utah so not only do I have two no good for nothing senator's. But I am stuck with one of those blue dogs in the house. Good grief. Wish me luck. Kathy Sandy, Utah

July 24, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  205. Jim

In the past, I encouraged everyone to contact congress about the issues of the day. In this case though, the Congress has convinced me that they lack the knowledge, the wherewithal and the will to explain the health care bill to me since they can't explain what they haven't read. It is time to vote all of them out.

July 24, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  206. Roger Chambers

I already have several times.

It is time we joined the civilized world with a modified single payer program, reducing costs overall, providing more equitable "rationing of care" (as distasteful as that sounds) on actual need and benefit instead of rationing as we do now by ability to pay. It would also free up nurses now highly paid by for profit insurance companies to come up with reasons to deny services and put them on the 'front lines" as nurses, helping alleviate the nursing shortage.

As for the tremendous costs, we spend now a large portion of our health care money on hundreds of different forms; simplify things, one set of forms, and the savings would be significant, eliminating a lot of overhead costs and improving efficiency.

July 24, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  207. Jordan from South Carolina

Yes, because I'm tired of all these lies and anecdotal "horror stories" from the right wing. No ones talking about a canadian style system; I wish they were because it's incredibly popular and effective in Canada. I want an option from someone who isn't out to get my money. Fear mongering, arm waving and screaming about government bureaucrats is nothing but a shameful and deceptive lie. AARP and the AMA, which haven't before, have signed on and the House bill is deficit neutral. We've tried reforming health care since Truman and Nixon(who wanted a national health system), we've had close to 200 hearings on the issue over the past several years, and the "bipartisan" bill in the Senate is going nowhere. I'm tired of the delay tactics, if the Republicans want to stand in the way, do it without them. It's time for reform, and not the kind of watered down, toothless, health industry-loving kind the conservatives want. We voted for change, it's time to deliver.

July 24, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  208. Kay from Greer SC

Dear Jack
    I have lived in South Carolina for over 20 years and unfortunately Senator DeMint represents my state. I most certainly will be contacting my federal representatives, Senator Jim DeMint and Senator Lindsey Graham, and Representative Bob Ingliss, all Republicans. I feel that if my Federal representatives are comfortable with the Federal government making decisions about their health care then I feel comfortable with the Federal government making health care decisions for myself and my family.

July 24, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  209. Maryann

Oh Yes !!! As a matter of fact I've been calling, E Mailing, and writing regularly. - I don't live close to any of their offices, but if we have another rally, I will try to attend. It's really amazing to learn that even though I , as a taxpayer, pay their salary-they very plainly don't care what I think!!! However, I will keep reminding them ! Healthcare has been worked on for months. The main problem is the Healthcare lobby is huge !!Of the 20 senators who have received the most money from the industry( in this country we do not have a healthcare system , we have a healthcare industry)–11 Republicans-8 Democrats and one independent-several of these same people are on the various committees working on healthcare!! Add that to of course, the G NO P wanting the President to fail AND that they have ALL gotten lazy in the past 8 years, President Obama is actually making them WORK for our tax dollars!–It all adds up to DELAY. AND WE ARE NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT !!!

July 24, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  210. FRED

I will contact my congressman I am in favor of healthcare reform I feel that lobbyist has played a part in future of healthcare reform please don't let this happen they are not listening to the real american people only a select few healthcare cost are a real problem. Who does those surveys they are not asking the working class that who has to pay for there healthcare with sweat on the backs

July 24, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  211. Kevin from Colorado Springs

Yes I will to let them know I want smaller government not bigger! They already have screwed up social security and medicare. Why in the world would we trust them with health care?

July 24, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  212. Monica

Fortunately, my leaders seem to be doing their job: Representing mine as well as their other constituents beliefs.(Imagine that, they ocasionally do the job WE elected them and pay for)
    I found the emailing legislators is the best tool. I realize they don't actually read each message, however, there is someone on their staff listening to what WE want and relaying what the majority of the people that elected them want them to do.
    As a naturalized citizen, I can't believe that in the best country in the world so many legislators make decisions based on their political benefit regardless of how it impacts us.

July 24, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  213. bill clark

Yes, I will contact my representative and advise him to vote against .

July 24, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  214. Richard

Healthcare costs doubled in the past ten years – Without some changes they'll double in the next ten years.

Already they account for more than 20% of the median family budget and much more than that for half the people.

As one who has lived in Europe and needed access to doctors, I will tell you that I never had to wait more than an hour to see the doctor and his credentials would match most of the doctors that I've been to in the last 70 years.

What's hard to understand about this scenario?

Surely you, Wolf, Dobbs and others at CNN and Fox need to open your eyes and listen a little harder to the 47 million that have no healthcare insurance and the 100 million or so that are underinsured that they may be one doctor visit from bankruptcy, or foreclosure. If you can't relate to any of this, maybe you can visulize yourselves at age 65 and having to fork over another 10-12% per year for insurance.

Cut down the conversation on Palin, the Cambridge cop, Gates and Obama and the weeks of minutiae on Michal Jackson's family matters and do something useful for the Amareican public. With a little more objective media, we could come up with a better program for healthcare and put a few more people to work. Please give it a try.

Richard Maple Valley, WA

July 24, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  215. Kathy

YES and I have already as well as some of these so call BLUE DOG spoilers who should wake up and listen to what is going on in America. See those profit reports that came out for the Healthcare insurance companies. They are really making the bucks off of sick people!!!! Good thing we have elections soon we need to vote out the spoilers.

July 24, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  216. Mike

The US Healthcare system is based on an underlying free enterprise medical pricing system which makes it one of the most expensive on the planet.
    As long as American doctors are allowed to charge so much more for basic services than other industrialized nations, affordable American public healthcare will never be a reality. Maybe the White House and the Congress should look at reducing what a doctor can charge for a basic checkup
    or writing a simple prescription. That would help to reduce the overall cost. The counter argumment will be, "then our doctors will be forced to leave and go someplace else to practise". If that's the argument, then let them go. Where else can they enjoy the lifestyle, even reduced by sensible legislation, they have in the good old USA?

Mike.