July 22nd, 2009

Does Obama risk media overexposure?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

President Obama will hold his fourth prime time news conference tonight - after only six months in office. That's the same number that Former President George W. Bush held in eight years.

As the president takes his pitch for health care reform directly to the American people - much like he did for the economic stimulus package - some are wondering if we're seeing too much of him. Politico suggests the challenge for the White House in the coming weeks will be not to overuse the president.

And it's not just press conferences - President Obama has held more than a dozen town hall meetings in eight states, along with one in France. He has also been out with major addresses on everything from the economy to detainees and torture policy, Iraq, and America's relations with the Muslim world. In fact - hardly a day goes by that President Obama isn't on television talking about something.

By one count, President Obama has given more interviews to TV networks than any recent president at this point in his first term. The risk is that people will start to tune him out.

When asked about the president's nine health care speeches in nine days - press secretary Robert Gibbs says: "I don't think he can probably say enough."

That will be for the American people to decide. The president's approval ratings have begun to trend down and are now at the lowest point of his presidency - 56 percent.

Here’s my question to you: Does President Obama risk overexposure in the media?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Mitzie from Georgia writes:
I am happy to hear the president give me an update. We went eight-years with nary a nod from the former president (unless of course you were a Republican supporter). I happen to believe that the president owes us his time and owes us an explanation. I am grateful for every presidential media event. I get to learn what President Obama thinks, not what the media wants me to think he is thinking.

Pat from Lexington, Kentucky writes:
Yes. I'm already hitting the mute button when I see him at a microphone. I wish he would be a little less "transparent" – maybe just go in his office and stay there for a few days. I'm an avid Obama supporter and I need health insurance but I also need a break from seeing and hearing him every single day!

Carol writes:
I can only speak for myself, Jack, but I am so sick of seeing his face and hearing his voice – everywhere. At no time during his 'broadcasts' does he encourage us to engage in dialogue with him or ask for an exchange of ideas from 'we, the people'. All he does is constantly preach to us about how we just don't get what it is that he is trying to sell. Please, somebody find his off switch.

Mary Jo writes:
No, he does not risk overexposure. He is the best spokesman he has got for his policies and his agenda. He explains it so that people can understand it and for the first time in a long, long time for most of us, he is believable.

Richard writes:
It's not media overexposure, but a reaction to his policies that have turned people off. Tonight he's trying to convince the American people to back health care, but there isn't even a solid health care plan in place.

Gary from Skaneateles, New York writes:
How dare the president continue to keep us updated and informed! Just when we got used to 8 years of secrecy and clandestine operations!

Filed under: News Media • President Barack Obama
  1. Peter

I think it's a balancing act. In the moment, I think Obama does right to fight for his idea in the media (also twitter, facebook etc.), even if he has to watch not to get stereotype. But it's also part of his job to get a law passed behind closed doors.

2. daniel

i am sick of seeing his face

3. Ray

Jack,

No Obama is not risking overexposure it's a great plan. Make sure the americans see that he is pushing the issue. They will then force the issue with the local leaders in their states. Society will blame the local leaders because Obama has forced the issue since day one.

4. Slvrstrks

No Jack, President Obama is not at risk for media over exposure. He is being visible as he promised. It's about time a U.S. President for that matter any politician let the public who elected them know what they are doing. I hope he continues to let John Q Public know what he's doing.

Deborah, U.S. Virgin Islands

5. Asim Hussain

President Obama was elected largely based on how he connects with us – the people/citizens. He is continuing to do so through the media – the most powerful channel available. Is it overexposure? No because it continues to be about important issues and events that he is tackling. If he was not communicating directly it would allow the media and opponents to put their own interpretation or spin on his position – that would be overexposure to speculation.

6. victor in TX

No.his the first multimedia president.so much blah,blah going on.If he doesn't stay in front of it,they will define him as happened to Bush..Financial fire.we need the chief fire fighter out front as often as possible..He'll be fine

7. Brad White

We all know that Obama's rhetorical skills are a major part of his ability to persuade. In my opinion, a lot of people here and abroad can't get enough of him, which plays to his advantage in many circumstances, now especially with health care reform. Keep talking the talk Obama, so that Congress can walk the walk on health care.

8. Debbie Gomez

Those lucky ppl WITH paying jobs and healthcare are welcome to walk away from the tv if they don't want to see him, but for those of us not as lucky, seeing and hearing him say he's still working hard for us is reassuring not overexposure. As someone who has been looking for a job for almost 8 months, is paying almost $400/mo for insurance that doesn't give me the sense of security it should, I am happy to hear from him as often as he wants to speak. I like knowing that he "gets that". So, if you are good in your situation, change the channel or walk away. Feel lucky and pray that your situation doesn't change. If it does, you just may find yourself feeling just like I do.

9. Damon Charity

Dear Mr. Cafferty,

I personally applaud President Obama. He's an employee of the Citizens of the United States of America and he's keeping us all abreast of his plans and actions. I heard you mention that tonight's press conference will tie the last President's entire term's press conferences...BRAVO! I enjoy knowing what's going on....I appreciate it. I think the best thing we've done as a people is to elect someone who's youth can allow him to take advantage of all the technical advances we've made in communication and reaching out to one another.

We spent eight years in the dark, now things are being done in the "full light of day" ....we should all be greatful and look forward to hearing what he says and how he says it.

Damon Charity
    Richmond,VA

10. Mark - San Francisco

If the President was talking about the same thing every time he was on television, he would be over-exposed. But since the Bush administration left him a host of problems (2 wars, trillion dollar deficit, a deceitful Vice President, etc.) the President is making me proud with his appearances. He has work to do, and no one can say, "he's not doing it!" As long as he's letting Americans know what is happening in our government, we should all be happy to see him.

11. Gary L. Sooter

Why should we even be asking this question, we finally get a President who is talking to the people of the USA. Will he get over exposure? Does the news media get over exposure? I am glad to see him have the guts and gumpion to DO SOMETHING while in office. Nothing has changed with political criticism since Washingtons day. I seems that the House and Senate are only concerned with their own individual concerns and not with their constituients.

12. Robert

'President Obama will hold his fourth prime time news conference tonight — after only six months in office. That’s the same number that Former President George W. Bush held in eight years.'

Ah, that is not a valid comparison. Bush could not speak in complete sentences, or with correct pronunciations. His handlers likely concluded, correctly, that he came across as a twit everytime he opened his mouth. Obama is articulate.

A better comparison would be how many news conferences Clinton and Reagan had at this same point in time. Both of them great speakers who had much to say.

King George was of the habit of ruling by decree. He simply took a stance and there was no negotiation. Obama realizes he has to sell people on his ideas in order to have the support and backing to make it happen.

I will never tune out a president pushing for something as serious as healthcare reform. Freshly laid off last week from my job, I am now without healthcare insurance. It was important to me before being laid off, but is especially important to me now. And losing a job can happen to anyone.

13. Jackie

It is great to have a president who isn't hiding or sending his daughter to the news networks to talk for him. I want him to continue to talk to us. Lets face it. If he didn't, the country would be complaining about that.

14. Chip Pierce

As long as "the media" keeps reporting on MJ, or the latest celebrity train-wreck, NO, Jack. He is at no risk.
    At least he tries to communicate to the citizens, rather than our last "President".

15. SisterS

The President is doing what any African American in an important position has to do. And if you don't know, that is work harder than our white counter parts.

16. Allen

Hi Jack I actually like being informed for a change. I'm also not a idiot & I know it took years to get to our mess. I believe by next year november it will start to turn around. Also all these tell idiots the deficit was there before Barak. This has been coming since the late 60's. John Mccain thinksnow were not at war. How things change in a short while. I hope we aren't this dumb. We are americans not democrats or republicans. Wake up america. Allen In Minnesota

17. Kim

Are you kidding? After 8 years of the Bumbler In Chief, you want to know if this Preident is risking over-exposure? Because of the inertia and bad decisions of the last 8 years, we need to hear from our government early and often. We need communication and to be made aware. And frankly, to hear a President that can utter a coherent sentence is refreshing!

18. Marion

Yes, President Obama risks overexposure. But we're in CRISIS mode. It's a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation. Especially, having those land shark Republicans nipping at his heels to make sure everything he tries to do to get us OUT of this mess fails. I need a job. I need healthcare. And I need a house. Until I hear something that lets me know we"ll actually survive as a nation, give him all the air time he NEEDS! We'll get over the overexposure once we're all back on terra firma.

19. Bob Stroud

He's trying to change America's old course for the better in today's world. That takes a lot of educating Americans. And he's really good at doing that. So, he has no alternative but to be visible and, for once in a long time, share with us the intelligence and knowledge that we're lucky to have in this President as he "teaches" us things we should know about moving this country forward to its better future.

20. Bruce From Tucson, AZ

Jack,

When you beat the drum too much, people tend pay less and less attention to it. On the other hand new and important information is always needed to be given out to the public. Lately we have been getting the same stuff on health reform and people are forming their own opinions of what this means because they can not get an exact explanation. I guess if this is a problem for this president, wait until immigration reform comes up!

21. willie jones

why should the american people tune president out when he doing what bush didn't do.Formal president bush gave 4 news conference on tv in all of eight years in office.america needs a relity check.Its great that obama doing this.

22. Phil Crosley

I am definitely getting tired of seeing him "everywhere" – he
    would do himself and his administration a favor and cool his jets.

July 22, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  23. Stan

Definitely not. He promised us transparency during the campaign and the tremendous struggles he inherited certainly require frequent updates to the American people.

July 22, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  24. Diane Shalla

I never dreamed I would be provided with too much exposure to the man I've loved seeing & hearing from – President Barack Obama – over the past two years, but now the unthinkable for me has happened...I'm actually beginning to tune out.

July 22, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  25. nab

No. We badly need to fix our horrendous health care situation, and Obama needs to keep making his case. The comparison to Bush is hardly appropriate. The reason Bush made had so few press conferences is that he was an ignoramus and his handlers knew it.

July 22, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  26. Lee in MN

I am proud to NOW have an intelligent President who will face and answer to the people. Did I emphasize INTELLIGENT. Now if ALL of Congress represented us instead of the special interest and lobbyist. Would that not be a major change JACK???

July 22, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  27. Allen Cunningham

No he is not Jack. With the democratic party's wimpy leadership in congress from Reid and Pelosi he knows that it's up to him and his team to make health care reform a reality. America wants it and Obama is passionate about it. He is out to shine the light on those cockroaches in the "Party of No" and the democrats that care more about the campaign funding that they get from the health care industry than they do about helping their constituents.

July 22, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  28. Tyler Shannon

Gosh Jack, God forbid we have a president who works for us and speaks to us as often as possible. Anyone who thinks he is over exposing himself should just be shipped back to 8 years ago. They can live there. I'm going to live with an American future of reformed healthcare, increased standing around the world, a renewable energy policy, green jobs, and an America that again leads the world. Maybe if our other politicians would try to work for what's best for the American people, instead of their pocket books and the rich, we wouldn't be asking if Obama was over exposed and instead how great it is to see Republican working with Democrats to make America better.

July 22, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  29. Karen Raunft

Transparency and Communication are the qualities that I hoped for when I campaigned for President Obama. I feel this is what he is giving us. Overexposure, no. We are now just getting to the possible solutions to the multitude of complex problems which face our nation. The work is hard but so are the times. Look what happened in eight years where we heard very little of what was going on. Keep talking to us President Obama, we'll keep listening.

July 22, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  30. david

Obama is the first person I've voted for with any enthusiasm in decades, mostly due his world view. But I am tiring of the endless bull from both sides on all these domestic issues. Disband congress. Have elections in which voters have to pass an intelligence test. Let's start over. Obama can stay, but I am tired of words. Just act.

July 22, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  31. Cecelia Hallier

Frankly, anything that comes too often loses its value, impact, attention, and credibility.

Before President Obama speaks he needs to read the bill so that he can talk specifically about reform, not a smooth prewritten speech.

He needs to stay in the White House and get to work. The presidency is not a media show, it is a job that requires intelligence, diligence and much work. Good bosses provide oversight.

July 22, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  32. Vicki

No. The American people need to understand that we did not get into our current situation overnight and that we need to look at these isssues with all the facts available and in the long term scenario. San politics and sans media interpretation. If we're not educated enough to interpret the facts, we need to go back to school and demand a better education.

July 22, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  33. Darlene from Delaware

Jack:
    I believe that the American people are pleased that we finally have a president that #1 we can understand and #2 comes to media so we continue to know what he is doing. It is refreshing.

34. Bob Bynum

Jack, Love the show, love the questions ; yes, the president will suffer, but so will we and the media if you guys are not more objective about each and every report that hits the wires, not only the situation room but the rest of the media aswell.

35. Lisa

Jack, I am so tired of seeing our President on the television that I want to turn the channel after a few minutes of hearing his voice and I truly believe that he loves to hear his own voice. While I appreciate his desire to communicate, but too much of anything and anyone is just plain nauseating.

Lisa
    Lansing, Mi

36. Kevin in San Antonio

I remember one of the chief complaints about the Bush White House was the American people were not getting policy information. President Bush didn't bring his case to the American people regularly at all. How can we fault President Obama for doing what the previous President did not do? I don't know about he rest of America, but I love the idea of knowing where our president is on all issues all the time. The more overexposed he is, the better informed the American people are. And it would seem that we all need to better informed because there are people out there that are still questioning President Obama's citizenship.

37. Ritchie Griffith

Sir
    I would like for him to work for a change instead of traveling and being on TV and giving interviews all the time. When does he have time to work on the problems of the country? He seems to be more interested in his personal PR than the countries. Universal health care would be a disaster, ask those in Canada and Great Britain. I am tired of everyone talking about the 46 million uninsured. That is a complete misrepresentation of the facts. 12million+ are illegals, about 10 million make over $80,000 a year and choose not to purchase it and another 5-6 million are elgibable for government health care and have not signed up for it. Only around10 million really need it and a much simplier bill can take care of them.
    Ritchie Griffith
    San Diego, Ca

38. john rowin

Obama over exposed? The more media coverage the better. Each time he talks the more we all find out how really flawed these rush thru programs are!

john rowin,oakland,nj

39. JEAN

He is certainly not overexposed. For a change, there is a level of transparency and decency at 1600. Most of our past leaders preferred to cut deals behind closed doors. President Obama is bringing his ideas in the open for the American people to decide on their own. That is real democracy. Participation of the people. Remember: "by the people for the people". Democracy is not dropping the ballot in the box and go home and let "professional politicians" decide for your life. No sir, it is participate in the political process. That's democracy.

40. Daniel

I think that this exposure is simply Obama's doing and not accidental. It helps for he and his staff to be more transparent. In past terms Presidents and staff stay away from the cameras because if they are really doing a poor job then people will see their face and remember how poor of a job they are doing. I say "do your job" and whether it is a good job or a bad one don't hide from the people that put you in that position. Don't forget they are public servants.

41. sara

After "twisting" my knee on Monday and do not have health insurance to go to a doctor for Xrays...... I "hobbled" downstairs to write.......We elected the President for REAL change, and he is doing the right thing to talk to the American people EVERY step of the way, Jack. How refreshing is it to see the President without one ounce of arrogance tell us why, what and how CHANGE will affect our lives. Not that I haven't experienced the Healthcare issue over and over in this country. I am 56 with a possible "fracture" to her knee and cannot afford medical care. So figure, Jack. I am sick of the naysayers when it comes to the American people who has worked all their lives, and yet at this age cannot afford Healthcare. Shame on America!

42. Flyingwolf, Manchester NH

No. President Obama will never suffer from media overexposure. I voted for him exactly for the changes he's is making. I am truly happy to see my man on the job.

43. Amanda

No. Its nice to see a President that actually gets out & is passionate about what he pursues. He still has the attention of the younger people. I am 23 & look forward to hearing him when he speaks. Its dissappointing when a President that you vote for goes into hiding after they're elected.

44. Mary Jo

No, he does not risk overexposure. He is the best spokesman he has got for his policies and his agenda. He explains it so that people can understand it and for the first time in a long, long time for most of us he is believable. If Bill Maher and Eric Cantor believe they are seeing too much of the President in the media, I would suggest that perhaps they not watch so much TV. For the rest of us struggling to make a living and hold our lives together in these desperate times, I want to hear from him because I believe him to be the best source of information available to me and he still inspires me tremendously.

45. rick in texas

Jack,
    Ever since he staged his conferences with questions he knew about, I don't care to listen to him anymore. I can't wait for 2012. Hopefully Hillary will consider running again and I'm a Republican!

46. Jane Gayle

Yes, during the last seven days, I have seen more of Pres. Obama than I have seen the AFLAC duck commercials. We are seeing and hearing the same message over and over – enough is enough!!!!

Jane Gayle
    Lake Charles, LA

47. Barbara Deavers

No I do not think that President Obama has been over exposed on the media. I would rather have a President that keeps us up to date as to what he is doing and thinking than a President who we hardly ever see and who does what he wants to do (i.e. our Former President). Also, give President Obama a bit of time folks! He has been in office six months and 2 days and is trying to undo a real mess left by a Republican Administration of 8 years! In regards to the Health Care Reform-at least the Democrats are trying to do SOMETHING! The Republicans had 8 years to do something in regards to Health Care Reform and did nothing!!!!

48. GWEN BLACKWELL

no I do not think the president risk overexposure in the media, we as the american people needs to know what's going on. For the first time we are being kept in form. President, for the people, and by the people.

49. Sidney

Jack when the TV is the medium through which many American get their news and Republicans are all over the TV telling lies about the Helth care, it is necessary for the President to go out there to explain to the American people why health care reform is necessary. Accroding to CNN over 46,000000 Americans do not have any coverage yet people are out there lying about cost and all whats not. He will never be overexposed as long as he is doing the work he was elected to do.

50. Rose

The media is always quite dirty when it comes to the Black Man. In all my world travel the USA has been the worst when it comes to the poor treatment of Black people in general, the media.

51. Lon Clay Hill

No, Obama isn't being overexposed. It would be nice if THE PRESS would start asking about the entrenched interests which are working day & night to dissuade, frighten, and distort the real issues of health care. Why not ask the Republicans AND frightened Democrats if they are opposed to INSURANCE COMPANY BUREAUCRACY ?? Why not ask the Republicans AND frightened Democrats if they are PROUD THAT WE ARE ALREADY LOSING OUR INSURANCE BY THE HUNDREDS??
    Do not ask for whom the bell tolls — it tolls for the USA as it stumbles into becoming another second class economy!!

Lon Clay Hill for the Common Weal!!!

52. Andy

He's definitely overexposed. I guess the media is just trying to make up for his lack of experience and no new ideas by giving him all this coverage.

Enough is enough. I can see through the smoke screen!

God Bless America!

53. Andy H

Simply YES. Jack please tell him to stay away for at least a week OR tell him that he should sign a 4 yrs contract with MSNBC and be a regular guest on his own show. The Obama show.

54. Ken

I don't care how many news conference the President holds what I am interested in is what is his long term VISION for this country. How are we going to maintain our current standard of living in the world or is that part of the Change he talked about during the campaign.

Ken

55. Mary from Berlin,PA

Thank goodness we have a President who is willing to stand up and talk to us. Like any good leader the more we are included the more likely we are to work for the common good. We don't need to like him or always agree with him, but the communication with the citizens is very imprtant in my view.

56. Stan Gilbert

Hey Jack ... How much is to much? I'd rather see the President standing tall and telling the American Public what is going on in Washington than know that he is hiding behind the walls of the White House while this country goes to hell in a hand basket.

We, the American public have seen more of this President in the last five or six months, than he did of George W. Bush in eight years. When President OBama speaks he makes sense, he speaks to the people in terms we can understand.

I say, if he's not tired of speaking, we are not tired of hearing him, with the exception of those idiots over at Fox News and the Fox Network.

57. Max

There would be no problem with overexposure if every time the President gave a speech or appeared on TV he offered more substance. Right now he gives the impression of a guy who is loving the experience of being the President, going through the motions of it, but not quite ready to really do, really act, really lead. Every speech I hear or read always brings up a questions of "How? What will you do to attempt to deliver what you are promising right now? Details, please! Stop campaigning, already!"

Initially, I found these platitudes and generalities frustrating, but now that he's been doing it this long, I am afraid I am becoming immune and indifferent to what he is offering. I no longer trust his ability to do anything but make promises and look good on TV. And then when I look what Congressional Democrats and Republicans have to offer – either really bad ideas or no ideas at all – I get depressed...

58. Steve

Stay on the tube!!! Its the most work from any of the presidents I have lived through. Not only has he done more than anyone, at least he allows everyone to see what he’s doing, which no one has ever done! And if he gets results with constant media coverage let him show the people he is working and not lounging. I’m glad to be paying his salary from the work I’ve seen so far. Keep up the good work!!!

59. Cris G

It is refreshing to have a president who is honest and articulate and is sincere about communicating to the American people who he represents. With the dearth of news conferences, TV interviews and town hall meetings of the last president, US citizens felt that the government was making decisions without consulting congress or the people – and they were right!

July 22, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  60. Tamara T

I don't feel Obama risks media exposure he is subjected to it regardless. He make it clear and evident whats is going on. Regardless of the media he will be scrutanised Because he is the first African American President and of course the republicans are waiting for him to make a mistake. SO then fingurs can be ponted on Pres. Obama.

July 22, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  61. Ron from SF

Unlike Bush, I get comfort from seeing this president on tv. As long as he's fighting for the good of the people, as opposed to what Bush, did, he'll be fine. My god, we need a highly vocal Universal Health Care advocate, as this thing has been going on since 1945 and the powers that be, are using the same dirty tricks to stall it to death. I hope that tonight, he demands that Congress cancel it's vacation till this gets done and I want to see him each week, giving me status reports on where we stand. This would get done if he daily tells us who got what from the Lobbyists and what they do for that largess.

July 22, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  62. Carol from New Jersey

No, he will not be overexposed. After eight years of the previous president hiding away, making major decisions in secret like inviting the energy moguls to make policy, in secret, ordering torture, in secret, spying on Americans, in secret , and hiding away for months in the White House - it's refreshing, it's necessary, it's part of democracy that we hear from the President at every opportunity. Maybe the media can't handle it, but he needs to do it.
    Carol, New Jersey

July 22, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  63. teresa

I think president Obama has way over spent his time on national tv. At this point I cannot bare to watch him. He needs to put more efforts into our nations economy issues and less time traveling around on our dime to show his family the world. Millions alone is being spent just to protect the first family....Date night , family vacation abroad...Give me a break. With millions in lost jobs who can afford to take a vacation?? Well on our dime I guess the president can...

July 22, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  64. Daniel from Texas

I think that people are already getting tired of President Obama being on TV all the time. I personally didn't watch the last one and probably won't watch this one. Every time he has one of these prime time telecasts he is just trying to push his agenda onto people. I don't agree with what he is trying to do with health care or cap and trade. Health care needs some changes but the gov't needs to rethink their approach. I know a lot of people think President Obama is different than most politicians but i don't think so. The media needs to stop trying to support him and show the facts down the middle. Both sides have it wrong and we as a country do not deserve better.

July 22, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  65. allen mcewan, saskatchewan, canada

During the marathon campaign to get elected, Obama exhibited a gifted skill set. As president, he remains the best communicator of his administrations vision.

July 22, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  66. Gerardo

Overexposure? A President that weekly addresses the American people with his ideas and hopes, like FDR in his fireside chats. What a novel idea!

July 22, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  67. Kweba, Bulemo - Netherlands

overexposure ? I dont think so......you should see how the country gets cold when he his on foreign countries, its like a father missing in a house !

July 22, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  68. Laura

We see way to much of Obama on TV. He cannot take criticism or the thought that people disagree with him. I am getting tired of him whining about Fox News, O'Rielly, Hannity and Limbaugh. He inherited a difficult situation, but this is the job he wanted. He wanted to fix everything, but all he has done is orchestrate the biggest government takeover in history; banking, insurance, auto industry, energy and now health care. The dollar is weaker and our debt is higher. I flip the channel when he is on TV anymore. He is a talking head whose actions do not match his empty promises.

Laura
    Canton, Ohio

July 22, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  69. Well

Since he is running for king of the world, it is impossible to risk over exposure...

July 22, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  70. Jaden Santa Barbara CA

Do ya THINK??? Way over exposed. He doesn't even look Presidential any more. Just another celeb in loive with himself, who I am tired of seeing.

July 22, 2009 at 6:22 pm |
  71. KATHLEEN LAKE

It is very important that the President keep us updated on Issues on concern for we the people. One reason being the 24/7 news shows loaded with the politics of an issue hard to decipher to the truth! When he comes on and tries to plainly tell his stance on issues it is reassuring to us who are open to the fact of 2 sides to every issue but do not tolerate the Lies & Fear Mongering being done on any Issue.
    Would much rather here it from the President's Mouth then any other venue.
    Do not see it as transparency from other entities even watching the senate channel to much politically done to protect their future Political aspirations.
    A President has to worry about Real Time & getting the job done if done satisfactorily for the majority will have a future except for critics that are always in denial.

July 22, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  72. Stefan D. Beyer (Germany)

I think President Obama wants to be a great communicator. His aim is to explain his policies and decisions to the American people. He wants to involve the people in his politics. Generally this is a good thing but there has to be a progress in solving the problems because otherwise Americans could become bored and disappointed. Talking isn't enough, people want to see progress and success. A difficult thing to achieve in these times!

July 22, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  73. mike jackson

I believe i can speak for most AMERICAN tradesmen when i say if all of our elected officials were required to give regular press conferences, there would be far less coruption and scandals in elected offices. We need to know what is going on from the people we elect. I kind of pay for a job to be done, a performance evaluation from the man i elected and pay to do it is refreshing. Our president may not do everything right, but i am thrilled to see somebody do something besides ride the clock. And even as a kid i learned if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem. I dont care what your political afilliation is when you quit working for me in government you have become the wrong man for the job. Just a small plead to all americans...don't talk about what someone is doing wrong, help them do something right. As citizens we have obligations too.

July 22, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  74. Ross from Green Bay

Jack,

Obama's media use is exactly what got him in office. Why would he even fathom using less to promote his agenda?

July 22, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  75. IndyVoter

Simple Answer, NO he does not risk over-exposure except from those who are too ignorant to understand the value of a President who is not afraid or too sneaky to engage the public! I am sick of all the back-deal, lobbyist infiltrated, so-called legislating and executing that has been going on for the past 8 and more years. Its time for some out in the open, American public opinion driving politics. Its called responsible citizenship. For too long we have just voted on election day and then turned out heads to what is going on until election day again. No more!The American public should be involved and should hear regularly from its commander-In-Chief. Period.

July 22, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  76. Brendan in Phoenix, AZ

His entire campaign pitch was making his government accountable. Seeing as this nation is addicted to everything on the TV, this is probably the best and only way to do that.

July 22, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  77. Jeff

I'm sick of seeing Obama everywhere I look: on tv, newspapers, magazines, and the internet. Everytime I share a story on Facebook, regardless of the story topic Obama's face is shown attached to the story on my Facebook page. I only post stories regarding alternative energy, environmental issues, or on topics related to natural science that have no connection to Obama yet there's his mug attached to the story on my Facebook page. Enough already!

July 22, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  78. Mark in Arkansas

The problem is with the media. They're not used t o seeing a president that actually comes OUT of his office to talk to the people who elected him. He's trying to make good on his campaign promises, one of them being a more transparent government. I'd rather hear progress from him every day than wonder what's happening behind closed doors.

July 22, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  79. Kraig

YES. He looks pathetic on TV everyday begging for everyone to believe him that we need government healthcare. He has already broken so many of his campaign promises that he cannot be trusted anymore. Also, based on his so-called stimulus bill that he bullied thru, he really doesn't know what a good bill is!!

July 22, 2009 at 6:32 pm |
  80. Lois, Pa

President Obama needs to stop campaining and realize that he won. This President nees too much attention. He needs to stay in Washington and work behind the scene to build a bi partisan administration. Enough is enough. He is wearing out his welcome. Americans do not need this kind of a President! We need a leader....not a FATHER!!

July 22, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  81. Michael M Phoenix AZ

Unlike a few other Presidents who did it just for the Photo Ops, then no, he is not overexposed.

July 22, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  82. pdel

If you have to raise the possibility of overexposure, that speaks for itself as....YES. Too much Obama on everything. Repeatedly, he is sounding like a cheerleader...not a true leader. Someone said he likes being in 'campaign mode', trying to sell everyone on agreeing with him on whatever issue. That style does not appear to work indefinitely. As some have said, Obama has style, but needs to show substance.
    Unlike EF Hutton (u have to be over a certain age to know what that is) the more Obama talks, the less people listen. As some predicted, pretty soon no one will really care what Obama says.

July 22, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  83. colin

Yes, instead of being in TV when is going to start doing something. I am he does do something he spends our money that we don't have. He is doing a great job as the "welfair president" Why get a job the goverment will take care you!!

July 22, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  84. Jeff N.

President Obama overexposed in the media? I tuned out of the article before I even got to the end. I am going green and saving some electricity by not tuning into his speech tonight.

July 22, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  85. Erin

As a country, we've been trained to be suspicious of open-ness and to actually prefer a shadowy leader who gets things passed through spin and closed-door meetings.

I welcome Obama's willingness to speak directly to the public. It's a good change, even if it feels uncomfortable given what we're used to.

July 22, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  86. ikke

Overexposure... when we are talking about HOW MANY PEOPLE in DESPERATE NEED OF HEALTHCARE...??? (shame on those with their personal -financial- interests to vote against what is good for the country...)

waiting for some GOOD SOLID JOURNALISM to see who is behind both the pro & con side of the healthcare plan....

July 22, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  87. Adrian Karithi, Columbus Ohio

Jack, I read with irony in today's post. Didn't they brand him "celebrity" from the onset. Now, I think what has turned out frustrating is the president's failure to live to the 'celebrity promise' by engaging the American people in each and every step of proposed reform. I don't think there is anything like media overexposure risk in a time of economic crisis when Americans need to know what corrective measures the president is taking.

July 22, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  88. mitch weaver

Obama is way over exposed to this citizen. I already have tuned him down, if not out. He is simply not so charismatic that I can't get enough. That said, he's getting himself out there, because most people only catch a fraction of his appearances.

His goal is to motivate people to pressure the congress to his goals. Reagan was masterful at this. Watching Obama answer questions by seemingly hand picked reporters does undercut his message, making him look weak, and it must be humiliating for the reporters who are props, largely.

July 22, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  89. joe m

too late. he's already overexposed.... sometimes i get the sense that this presidency is turning into some kind of reality show. sure i understand that since his popularity is his biggest asset at this time, the president and his team feel like putting him out there is their best plan. still, how many press conferences, specials, and media events do we need. i'd feel a lot better if i knew that he was sitting behind his desk working hard rather than getting ready in makeup for his next apperance.

July 22, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  90. willi

President Obama seems to be more concerned with being on tv and making speeches than actually taking care of the serious business of leading this country. I think he is better at READING speeches than leading the country.
    I would think that before he pushes a bill and makes so many speeches on it that he would actually know what the bill says. It's scary that we have leaders who want change but don't know what change they are legislating that the rest of us have to live with.
    Why doesn't someone ask the question....if a doctor or hospital can accept a "discount" from health insurance companies, why isn't that the price of the service to begin with? If a doctor bills an insured patient for $60.00, why does he accept $20 from an insurance company, but an uninsured person has to pay $60?

July 22, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  91. nick

Well I was among the first to post and it looks like overwhelmingly the opinions have aligned towards the view that Obama is not overexposing himself. I think, Jack, that perhaps working in the corporate media industry that you might be feeling a bit overexposure, but as a school teacher from Oklahoma sometimes I feel like I'm barely in the loop with D.C. policies. I applaud my president for his updates and the national conversation he is trying to engage the country in about our health care system.
    Nick,

July 22nd, 2009 5:52 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

No, I think you – again – are making something of nothing. Let the man do his job.

July 22, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  92. NNAMDI OLEJEMEH..BALTIMORE,MARYLAND

The answer is NO! In my opinion, the health care debate has exposed how selfish we are as people. It's a matter of the haves and the have nots.To whom more is given,more is expected.There's no free lunch in America. Is either those who have help to pay for those who doesn't,or the Government have to pay.It's not about President Obama; folks don't mind seeing him if they like what he has to say!

July 22, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  93. Ivan Rodriguez

I am a proud Democrat who voted for Obama and he is a popular man, but I truely believe that he should be very careful with over exposure to the media. We live in a time were the media can easily destroy a men of inflluence by turning his true views and ideas which are supported by the American people who voted for him. I would reccommend to the president to also stop pushing the congress to pass laws under pressure of a due date. I believe that whatever health care reform that is passed must be one that is done with care and not rushed. Overall I support his universal health care reform, but I am sometimes skeptical of a health program that is runned by the government. But yes he must back down from the media and learn to use it wisely.

July 22, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  94. Fred Bradley

No, I do not believe President Obama has had over exposure on television. That is the very thing we complained about during the last administration. There was too much secrecy. I am very impressed that he is keeping us abreast of everything.
    Dorothy Bradley

July 22, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  95. Paula Miles

Personally, it seems to me that the more Obama speaks the more support his health care program gains. I can't hear enough and it seems to me that every time he gets on the air waves the chances are increased that the country will be unconvinced by the nay sayers that we can't do health care.

July 22, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  96. Joel Zwack

President Obama usually says the right thing. People are learning that, unfortuantely in many cases, he does just the opposite.

Our family is sick and tired of the way things have turned out. At the end of 4 years we'll have heard so much from the prez that we'll I fear our eyes will be totally glazed over

July 22, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  97. mike pea

What do you expect? Turn off the t.v., the iPod,the computer,the cell phone,the radio and read a damn book America.

July 22, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  98. Caroline W.

I am sick to death of listening to him. You can't turn the TV on without hearing Obama. I think he really likes to hear himself talk.........I mean puleeezzzzz – even the All Stars Baseball Game!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 22, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  99. Nancy in Southern Nevada

No, Nada, Nein, Non PLUS Never! Obama has promised to keep Americans updated and that's exactly what needs to be done and he's doing a bang up job.

July 22, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  100. Harry Campbell

NO!! There are a multitude of slow learners in this country; so the more they see of him the better. Sooner or later they will see him for the phony he is. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

July 22, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  101. Dan

Jack, We have serious problems that require leaders with determination and a steadfast resolve to find answers that can be forged into good legislation. George Bush told us all to “go shopping” while he stole our constitutional rights and drove us into debt under a cloak of silence. Pres. Obama should not get off the soapbox until we have found solutions to our problems. Citizens with short attention spans should leave this work to the adults while they go watch cartoons.

July 22, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  102. Randy

Yes...way too much exposure. In addition to the appearances Jack mentions, I also saw him throw out the first pitch (if you can call it that) during the MLB All-Star game, he was interviewed by Buck and McCarver during the All-Star game, and he made an appearance on the ESPY awards. I am suprised he didn't show up at the British Open to give Tom Watson advice on his putt to win the Championship. "....I told you to aim left". People watch sports as a diversion from politics. Go away Barack.

July 22, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  103. Terrance Smith

With almost no help from rank and file Dems in pushing bill, he have no choice but to doit himself. The Dems afre really blowing this one buy not being more vocal and not matching republicans dogmatic attacks on President Obama

July 22, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  104. brent

I don't understand why people would not want to see and hear from the President.

July 22, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  105. LUCI - ILLINOIS

What if our President does give more speeches than the one before him, at least we know what is on his mind. Bush would not even go to testify without Cheney. It was so sad what we put up the last 8 years. Speak good of President Obama, we are soooo lucky to have him.

July 22, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  106. jeff jackson, ozark, alabama

Yes, he does risk overexposure.
    You media mighties helped get him elected using
    censorship on us all in covering the election.
    You gave us YOUR coverage, not always the total
    content of the facts.
    Now he's pretty much on his own and you've lost
    control of the edit process with him much like the
    Republicans lost control of Palin.
    Well you got him elected, now let's see you save him
    from himself.

July 22, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  107. tjaman in ND

He's had many dragons to slay in his young presidency and needs our help to slay them. Keeping us apprised of his progress and engaged in the process is only for the good.

July 22, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  108. Carol Eppley

I have never written on a blog or expressed any political opinion in writing. I consider myself moderate and have voted as a Democrat and as a Republican. First of all I am an American and proud to say that. I am concerned and afraid for my country today. Our President needs to worry about the economy NOW not health care. I turn the TV off when he comes on. His seems to think that we are quite dumb and cannot read or digest anything other than what he tells us. When he has a news conference it should be of important national concern. Not him trying to sway political votes. When something of great importance comes up we will all be tuned out.
    Memphis, TN

July 22, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  109. Monday Midnite

Over-exposure has its downside. Ask Britney Spears, Kobe Bryant and other celebrities, but President Obama has no choice but to pound the media pavements to get his often deliberately distorted message by the WAR loving republicans straight to the American people. The positives of him out there far outweighs the negatives. Besides, sadly enough, blacks still need to work twice as hard as their white brothers and sisters to get anywhere or anything done in America. It's obvious now that being the President is no exception to that rule.

July 22, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  110. Nicole-North Carolina

Honestly, I don't think that Obama is overexposing himself or his ideas. UNLIKE Bush, he isn't keeping any secrets and he knows what the American people want/need. The majority of Americans want to listen to what he says, no matter if he is speaking too much or not. I can appreciate and respect him for his good communication skills. He is going to be scrutanized no matter what he does, so who cares if he is on t.v. too much? The republicans are just jealous.

July 22, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  111. Lisa

Yes – I am so sick of hearing him speak. Obama is always on television – I think he is in love with his own voice. It would be nice if he stopped all of the talking and actually spent time taking action. All of his speeches are beginning to sound the same – We the amercian people...blah, blah, blah – no specifics, no action plan on how to achieve – blah, blah, blah!! Shut up already!!

July 22, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  112. Bernadette Loesch

Jack, Never ever! We are so tired of the secracy that took place during Bush/Cheney that anything and everything that Obama says is truly a breathe of fresh air! Ahhhhhh.

July 22, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  113. Franklin

I would like to commend President Obama for meeting with the press and answering their questions.

The media needs to give us the information, the facts, the details, without their opinions. Then the news agencies get outsiders on that talk and talk, but it is just their opinions. The time should be spent outlining the details written in the legislation.

All of us have our opinion which is just as valid.

We are the ones trying to survive and pay bill and fear medical bills. The senators and representatives at both the state and federal level do not know what a struggle life is.

July 22, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  114. gladys

No, I look forward to some straight talk even If I don't always agree. I bet the Republicans would love him to get of the airways because the more he talks to the american people like adults them the more childish the Republicans look.

July 22, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  115. faith

Yes. CNN is not even going to devote an evening of analysis and talk to them as before, electing instead to show their Black in America special instead.

July 22, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  116. Dane

He's horrific, pushing his socialist agenda down our throats constantly. Someday, when we're all reporting to the Employment Board so they can give us our state-assigned jobs, I hope the images of "Big Brother" in the background will at least bear his face, so we'll remember where it started.

Of course, by that point he'll probably have anointed himself as the First Emperor of the United Socialist States of America anyway...

July 22, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  117. dc

After waking up each day to see our previous president in front of a friendly commander and chief military crowd or the uniformed persons of law enforcement, seems Im quite happy with Mr. Obama's occasional announcements. Mr. Bush's evildoers and the terrorists are coming speeches will long be remembered as one of the most over exposed complete waste of time moments in historyt.

July 22, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  118. Joan

Overexposure? As compared to whom? Michael Jackson?
    Seriously Jack, at last the US has an articulate, intelligent President who seems to be doing his best to keep you all informed of the issues and processes involved in decision making. From my perch up here in Canada it's as if the US has finally emerged from a deep, dark, dangerous hole. Good luck to him... and to all of you.

July 22, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  119. Shawn Dedeker, West Lafayette, IN

Realistically, yes, I do think Obama is overexposing himself. The presidents main job is to run the country and to be the commander in chief, however, he is spending so much time pushing health care reform that it seems as though he is neglecting his other jobs. The plethora of interviews and tv time spent on health care makes me think that the president is just an over-glorified lobbyist.

July 22, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  120. Michael

Jack,

He is overexposed because he thinks that he makes the country move. This will be a snoozer as he gives 5 minute answers to 6 questions and tries to convince us that a public option is a good idea. NEWS FLASH: Fannie Mae is a public option.

M

July 22, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  121. John

Obama may be doing the right thing, but he really is risking over-exposure in my opinion. Every time he goes on TV people are hopeful for progress. People want to listen to what he says because the things he say are indications of change. But unless Obama's policies really do create the change that America expects from him, his TV appearances may become less and less meaningful over time.

July 22, 2009 at 6:41 pm |
  122. jody

President Obama has many hugh tasks before him. He was left with a complete mess to clean up.

It took Bush eight years to destroy the surplus Clinton left. It is easy to destroy (so easy even Bush could do it); however, to build something or re-build the economy along with everything else, is not so easy.

Give Obama time for God's sake. No one could rebuild in six months what it took Bush eight years to destroy. Think about it.

I ask Republicans to stop with the whining and step up and help this young man in his efforts to bring our country back from the brink.

July 22, 2009 at 6:41 pm |
  123. Caral from SoCal

Jack, The idea of the POTUS being overexposed in the media is bogus. I think Bush would have been better served to have made better use of the media, as Obama is doing. No...it isn't the frequency with which he speaks that bothers me. It's what he says.

July 22, 2009 at 6:41 pm |
  124. Julius Olaseni

It will be unfair to say Obama is over-exposing himself after inheriting an unprecedented difficult task. He need to get his messages across to the voters .....Remember he promised voters of openness in his white house.

July 22, 2009 at 6:41 pm |
  125. corymac

Jack, the truth about Obama is that he is a spotlight hog. He can't get enough of the cameras! That's why poor Hillary Clinton is over at the State Department with nothing to do. Obama wants to do everything because he loves the media attention.

July 22, 2009 at 6:41 pm |
  126. starkemmy

Yes, if he keeps showing up on tv without the results to show for it. We will naturally lose interest in seeing him.

July 22, 2009 at 6:42 pm |
  127. carlos marrero from Socorro NM

FDR was always on the radio encouraging and comforting the country. So why not this president? It's refreshing to feel that he is accountable to us and show real leadership.

July 22, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  128. Christopher in Sacramento, CA

If we were not all unemployed and furloughed we would not even know he was at risk of being overexposed...we would all be working and taking care of our business. Let the man do his job!

July 22, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  129. Vincent

I am, just likemany millions, so sick and tired of seeing Obama on TV! Is there a camera that this man doesn't like?! Enough already! Look at his polls; he is dropping like a rock especially in these past 2 months with his push for the "Cap and 'Tax' bill" and now the trillions plus health care plan that no Congressman has read! Obama's approval rating at this time in his term is lower than Carter's! Jimmy Carter, for God's sake! For all those of you who voted for Obama and "change", as Dr. Phil would say, "How's that working out for you?"!

July 22, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  130. Karin from Santa Fe NM

I am very grateful for Obama to be giving these speeches.

July 22, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  131. Millard Mott

At this point, President Obama doesn't risk media overexposure. These are unusual times. He has multiple global and domestic issues. Americans are very anxious. So he needs to be a visible and assuring leader for the time being.

July 22, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  132. Patrick

So Obama's back on TV again. Guess he traded in his old clunker teleprompter for a new green-powered model teleprompter that converts hot air to energy. I don't think he's overexposed on the networks – I mean, he owns three out of four networks plus CNN & CNBC, so he might as well use them before his favorable ratings sink below 50%.
    It looks like most others here agree, too. No matter that the President is trying to shove this health care bill through before any more of his own party revolt. Most people here seem content with the government taking over everything and waiting 10 months to see a doctor for the 24 hr flu. Just as long as they can keep blaming Bush and Cheney for Obama's failures, then nobody needs to worry about overexposure.

July 22, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  133. m2

I believe he is on too much – our president needs to be working on details involved with all aspects of bills and national security. Pres Obama seems not to know the details of the plan in congress and isn't spending sufficient working at the Presidency – I do know that he's traveled more abroad and taken more weekends off than Bush at this time – but I don't hear that reported. But when the pedal hits the medal – his administration hasn't gotten it done on Climate control, arms, or the economy. Maybe working hard and staying out of sight until positive work is done is what he should be doing.......

July 22, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  134. Steve Schmidt

Yes, Obama will wear you out and seeing him make speech's that he didn't write is really showing that he is a fake. I now feel he is just amouth peice for special interest groups putting words in front of him
    Get him out of our face before everybody is the fool he is.

July 22, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  135. Mike Lewis

I voted for McCain but Obama is now my president. I think he is at least bordering on overuse of the airways and people may begin to treat him like the boy who hollered wolf.

It's ironic because I thought Bush should have taken advantage of the bully pulpit more than he did!

Mike
    Sherman, TX

July 22, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  136. Em

Maybe it's not about HOW often he is in the media or WHAT he is saying, but i am more concerned with the WHY factor. How much confidence is really there?

July 22, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  137. starkemmy

Lagos
    Starkemmy

July 22, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  138. dentri

he remind me of Stalin,,Chavez,Castro.Al lthose love to be in tv.OF course he has a lot to tell to those whom are unployment because of his $787 Billion .I will warn you if we don't pass this Bill the unployment will reach 8% Guess what . we already have 9.5 % unploymet after those billions.BUt guess what hisa social program are safe ..He was wrong...He is overexposed anyway....He got to speak with people ...Because he lied to them ,like he always does...I"m sick of those who believe they can mislead forever with sharp tonge

July 22, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  139. emm-boston,ma

I demand defination of this word overexposure before I answer this question. Never before did I hear it during Clinton and bushes administration.....

July 22, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  140. chris

president obama is constantly on the campaign trail ............he enjoys the attention .......,enough already !!!!!!
    what is is attempting to sell is socialism !!

July 22, 2009 at 6:45 pm |
  141. gina

I cannot stand to hear his voice anymore!
    My Tv will be off everytime see his face !We already in debt create more debt this not Change!

July 22, 2009 at 6:45 pm |
  142. lynne from NC

No, he works for us. He should be out there front and center telling us what is going on. It has been a long time since we had a public official that wants to.

July 22, 2009 at 6:45 pm |
  143. Dale

I am tired of hearing him cover up an idealogically narrow public agenda that is nothing more than tax, spend, and redistribute. We voted for getting out of Iraq, keeping us safe, and controlling the deficit. Now we have a bigger Afganistan, and more new taxes than I can count. I don't enen pay attention any more. He will be a one termer (like Jimmy), and will only be a footnote in history.

July 22, 2009 at 6:46 pm |
  144. Bert Boonstra

Jack,

How can a president overexpose in a democracy. It is about time the people hear from the one they elected. We were kept in the dark too long in the previous administration.
    Bert in The Netherlands

July 22, 2009 at 6:46 pm |
  145. Mike

I really am getting tired of hearing him talk everyday. We forget that the POTUS was NEVER supposed to have this kind of effect on our everyday lives. This expansion of government is out of control. We should be hearing our governors talk to us about the issues, since it is much easier to govern over about 8 million, than it is 306 million.

July 22, 2009 at 6:46 pm |
  146. John Dee,,,Georgia

Yes and please don't tell him what number comes after a "TRILLION"...

July 22, 2009 at 6:46 pm |
  147. Paul

Time to govern. Stop campaigning. (And get rid of the teleprompter.)

July 22, 2009 at 6:47 pm |
  148. Raina

In contrast to Bush, I think the frequent public appeals are refreshing. At the end of his term, Bush had a real PR problem. I think Obama can avoid this if he engages in honest discussion with the public.

July 22, 2009 at 6:47 pm |
  149. Madeline

Just what are we comparing seeing O's face to??? He is our President and is not like his predecessor who hid behind Cheney's back. Also, unlike the folks in Congress and the Senate who
    HIDE from their constituents.

Poor Obama really thinks those folks really care about us....

At least we know Obama does.....

July 22, 2009 at 6:47 pm |
  150. Joseph Hawkins

He risks something more dangerous than overexposure; he risks losing his persuasive power. The American people need answers now, and if Obama apears to generalize a complex issue tonight, the legislative vision he cast on the campaign trail will become more muddled and cloudy.

July 22, 2009 at 6:48 pm |
  151. Jim

he is starting to remind me of the late Billy Mays. I keep anticipating the "wait ! there is more, if you order right now" moment

July 22, 2009 at 6:48 pm |
  152. Andy

Give me a break with blaming everything on the last administration! Obama should find a new line!

The Demoncrats controlled congress forever!

July 22, 2009 at 6:48 pm |
  153. Victor

Id rather hear what he has to say than see how good he is at golf. The day the people tune out thier leader in America when he is trying to improve the relationships our country has with other countries and not start wars but obtain peace, when he is trying to make positive changes pertaing to our resources for energy other than oil, then it is on that day the people are who have failed him. No matter what political party, we as a country will have to bare the burden together. I dont believe we will tune him out and I hope we dont because in this time of hardship all over the country, we must listen and we must act together.

July 22, 2009 at 6:49 pm |
  154. Mark San Diego

I can't stand to see Obama's face anymore behind the glass teleprompter anymore!

July 22, 2009 at 6:49 pm |
  155. j/NJ

Does President Obama risk overexposure in the media?

If overexposure means diminshment in credibility, moral authority, or approval, probably not if Obama manages to keep the electorate informed as well as convinced he is trying his best to meet the objectives articulated in the campaign irrespective of how they play out...

July 22, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  156. Eric B.

Jack ,for the people that say they are sick of seeing Obama's face on television I say your tv has two switches, one to change the channel and one to turn it off. Try it sometime..it worked very well for me during the Bush years.

July 22, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  157. Dr. Ron Nelms

No, Jack. Obama is the ultimate master of effective communication, and nobody could do the job of changing "hearts and minds" as well. If people do not understand that scare tactics have been used to try to delude them into thinking that the health plan proposed by Obama's administration, Republican politicians who are putting their goal of defeating Obama at any cost and to hell with what is best for the people and this country, and all the insurance company and pharmaceutical company lobbists who are only interested in their financial bottom line, then they are more gulliable and stupid than I would ever imagine. I say, "GO OBAMA!!! DO YOUR "THING" AS NOBODY ELSE CAN, AND JUST TALK SENSE TO THE PEOPLE." I sincerely hope the people don't prove me wrong, but I have faith in their intelligence overall and think the truth will prevail if Obama is the one to present these truths. Thanks, Jack for just being YOU and calling things as you see them instead of trying to be "PC" and pandering to your listening audiance and trying to push for ratings instead of telling the truth.

July 22, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  158. MC, Austin, TX

He's pushing it but, no, not too much so far. The reality is that in the midst of a crisis like we're in having a present appear engaged is important. Relying too much on press secretaries and cabinet members to do your talking as Bush did appears, at best, weak and, at worst, disingenious.

I believe most who think he is overexposing himself fall into the category of people who would find something to fault no matter what.

July 22, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  159. Theresa B. Felmery

No, President Obama knows what he is doing. Why should a question be asked from the News Media? To create contraversy and to make money. We are not all gullible. Media Matters, and we want to Keep it clean. Theresa from Half Moon Bay,CA .

July 22, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  160. Faye - Texas

NO, Our country is in crisis mode and we need a leader that is willing to communicate to the people. In addition, if he does not communicate, "The Party of NO', will continue to spill it's negative rhetoric.

I appreciate opposition, but offer solutions.

July 22, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  161. Liz, California

The President should spend more time in the oval office doing what he was elected to do. Running this Country. I tune him out, don't believe half of what he has to say any more. We don't need to see him every day on TV, this is not Venezuela.

July 22, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  162. Fred Dean Weaver Oklahoma City

I reather see Obama then roten Bush Chaney

July 22, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  163. Kina from Virginia Beach, Va

I wondered if he was facing overexposure but if you want something done right..do it yourself – so I say GO Pres. Obama GO!!

July 22, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  164. Rick

" You know I find it Ironic , that the complaint against President Bush ,
    Was his lack of exposure , with the media and the American Public .
    Now We finally have a President who wants to hold Himself Accountable To both the Media and John Q Public .
    The more He explains to us the less We our in the Dark .

July 22, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  165. ga

George W. had 4 news conferences in 8 years because he can't read, can't talk, and is the most illiterate escuse for a president this country ever had, and don't forget about the 6 trillion dollars he wasted in 8 years. Go Obama.

July 22, 2009 at 6:52 pm |