May 26th, 2009

Are you willing to change your diet to combat global warming?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

The headline reads: "Burping of the lambs blows roast off the menu." In one of the more bizarre articles on global warming, the London Times reports that government officials are urging people to give up lamb roasts and save the planet. And it's not just lamb. Government advisers in the U.K. are taking steps to remove other so-called "high carbon" foods from menus as well.

art.smokestack.gi

We're used to doctors and nutritionists telling us we need to change our lifestyle and diet to combat obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Well, now climate-change experts are singing the same tune, saying a change in our diets is a crucial step to cutting carbon emissions.

Lamb, alcohol and tomatoes are among the biggest carbon-producing foods, while those that produce fewer carbon emissions include potatoes, seasonal vegetables, pork and chicken.

But what are we really talking about here? Well, according to a study on greenhouse gases that was sponsored by the British government, producing 2.2 pounds of lamb releases the equivalent of 37 pounds of carbon dioxide.

As The Times points out, sheep and cows burp a lot and that produces the greenhouse gas methane.

When it comes to tomatoes, 2.2 pounds generate more than 20 pounds of carbon dioxide. Compare that to just one pound of carbon dioxide produced by 2.2 pounds of potatoes.

Like I said...bizarre.

Here’s my question to you: How much are you willing to change your diet to combat global warming?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Billy from Las Vegas, Nevada writes:
Too weird for me, Jack. Who on your staff comes up with these off the wall questions? Sorry but I'm not giving up my tomato based foods like Pizza and Pasta sauce. In fact, I would like to throw a tomato and other produce at whoever produced this question.

Charlie from Belen, New Mexico writes:
Thank You Jack for this information. You have started my day with a smile. I knew that changing my diet could affect my health, but I never realized that so many supposedly intelligent people could spend so much time and resources researching cow burps.

Mark from New Jersey writes:
When I haven't seen a Hummer, or any SUV, come to think of it, on the roads for 2 months straight, I'll consider it.

Alex from Connecticut writes:
This sounds like something from the New York Post, not the London Times! I shouldn't even have to say it but anyways: please! That's just taking the whole thing way too far.

Ben writes:
I’m all for eating right but lambs, cows, tomatoes, and potatoes were around for a long time before the industrial revolution and the planet was doing just fine then. The burning of coal and oil is the problem, not my dinner plate.

Erin from California writes:
I don't have a problem giving up lamb or meat but shoot, we just planted 62 tomato plants in the vegetable garden! We thought that was a good thing.

Melissa from Raleigh, North Carolina writes:
Should we talk about beer and refried beans while we're at it?

Joe from St. Louis, Missouri writes:
This study could help me with an issue with my ill mannered boss. Thanks for the info.

Filed under: Global Warming
  1. Kevin in Dallas, TX

People won't change their diets to save themselves, do you honestly think they will change their diet to save the planet?

May 26, 2009 at 1:02 pm |
  2. Terry from North Carolina

Jack
    I am living in the land of BBQ and Sweet Tea how much can I change my diet ?

May 26, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  3. don (in naples, florida)

Absolutely. We don't really have a choice. Either we do in voluntarily or it will be mandated.

May 26, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  4. Jason, Koloa, HI

I already have to some extent.

May 26, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  5. Willow, Iowa

I've already cut out most meats from my diet. I eat more fruits and veggies. Other than going to beans and rice, what can I do to help global warming?

May 26, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  6. Dave, Brooklyn, NY

No way. This is just another attempt to shift blame from the polluters to the people being polluted. There is plenty of blame going around. We all have to make adjustments in out lives to slow this down. My adjustment has been to pay higher prices for everything since business just passes their costs along to us. To whom do I pass my costs?

May 26, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  7. gerry In Toronto

I'd like to change my diet of what I hear and watch on cable new on this issue, but the gop keep bringing up cows expelling gases as the main cause of global warming and its starting to sound like excrement to me.

May 26, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  8. Russ in PA

No freaking way. I'll stick with my beef and whatever else I wish to eat. Pretty soon we'll start reading that the government wants to put extra tax on butter, beef, and eggs because such things cause global warming and/or heart attacks. Only a fool would fall for such nonsense.

May 26, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  9. Michael - Rochester, Minnesota

Not in the least. I love lamb. They can have my lightbulbs, my gas guzzler, and cell phone charger; I'll keep my lamb and tomatos. Heck, I'll even trade in a few degrees off of my AC for a nice Hoppy Soda to keep my cool

May 26, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  10. Courtney in CT

In the last year, I've completely cut red meat and pork out of my diet. It's not hard and I never feel deprived, but it's not as easy for everyone. All the same, I was shocked by the tomato statistic above. When it comes to produce, though, growing your own or looking for local farmer's markets can alleviate a lot of the CO2 burden. It's not necessarily about diet, but the source of your favorite foods. Small changes, like cutting out red meat once a week, can make a huge impact. And it has to be small changes first.

May 26, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  11. Charlie in Belen, New Mexico

Thank You Jack for this "information"... You have started my day with a smile..... I knew that changing my diet could affect my health, but I never realized that so many supposidly intelligent people could spend so much time and resources researching cow burps.......

May 26, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  12. Mike – Denver, CO

Sure, but this approach is like spitting on a brushfire. If we focus on the biggest polluters first, like ocean tankers, we stand a chance of actually making a difference. Until then, all the pork and potatoes in the world will not offset industrial pollution.

May 26, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  13. Denny from Tacoma, WA

I know a lot of people who burp and toot a lot too. After we eat all of those sheep and cows, etc., should we then become cannibals to save the planet? Shouldn't that include all of the cows that produce milk – no more dairy products? If we got rid of all of those things that burp and toot a lot, how could we fertilize our crops? Isn't there a better way?

May 26, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  14. Dan Coxon

Global Warming is today's top issue, that many seem to be ignoring. Our nation has a weight problem as a whole, so it would be wise to take out two birds with one stone. There is also a chance that the third bird of health care can take a shot from targeting Global Warming with the food we eat.

May 26, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  15. James Lenon - Chuckey TN

I have no plan to change my diet. My food intake is already reduced and constrained by rising prices. If prices continue to rise, it will become moot whether livestock burp or expell gas by any means. The foods we enjoy most will become unobtainable by any but the most wealthy long before mankind's diet could have any effect on slowing global warming.

May 26, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  16. Bill in South Jersey

Am I willing to change my diet to help the earth? Sure; in fact, I'm halfway there already.

But I don't think "feel good" stuff like this amounts to a hill of beans in the long run. The environmental degradation of the past century is already so severe that the only thing that has any chance of saving us is massive governmental intervention into our life-style. That is the only way to break the consumer-financed and robber baron-inspired cycle of "use it, abuse it, and make a fast buck."

My eating a potato instead of a tomato, even multiplied by the population of the planet, is nothing more than a Boy Scout exercise in the face of what really needs to be done.

May 26, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  17. Jayne

I don't drink and I don't care for lamb, so apparently I won't have to change a whole lot. That high number for tomatoes seems fishy and I don't know that I buy it. In any case, I'm keeping my cherry tomatoes.

May 26, 2009 at 1:50 pm |
  18. Nancy, Grand Ledge, MI

I'm not giving up my tomatoes for anyone. There has to be a better solution than our vegetable gardens. But it won't matter much what we do if China, India, and the other countries that our manufacturing base has moved to, don't go along.

May 26, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  19. Tom in Desoto, Tx

I've been doing my part to save the planet for years without knowing it. I haven't had lamb in decades. I don't drink very often and have tomatoes occasionally. I don't burp much, I just process it naturally, call it a reverse burp.

May 26, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  20. Jay, Denver

Cut back on alcohol?? No sir.

May 26, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  21. Kim in Dodge City, KS

The economy has already changed my diet, so if I see a tomato, I'm gonna eat it.

May 26, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  22. Peg from NY

I am unwilling to change my diet at all! As a colon cancer survivor I have slowly discovered what foods I can eat. Organic locally grown lamb is the ONLY meat I can eat. Tomatoes that are skinned and seeded are a big part of my diet. My diet is ridiculously limited on a good day! No way I will change my diet ! I have never owned or driven a car~so perhaps that may balance it a bit!

May 26, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  23. Chad from Los Angeles, CA

I already drive a Hybrid. Please compare what the impact on driving cars half as hazardous to the environment is to eating foods that are half as hazardous.

I think I am doing more than my share by driving efficiently. Those who drive SUV's should alter their diets-since they are not helping anything!

May 26, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  24. sharon kitchen

I and my husband already have......but this was due to no money.....
    Ground turkey/vegies/water/poatoes w/onion.Every day.7 days a wk.

May 26, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  25. Heather from Stockton, CA

People have a hard enough time separating their recycleables from their waste that giving up particular foods is probably impossible. With all of the diets out there, you'd think it'd be easy to give up certain items in ones diet, but there's a reason there's the saying that diets don't work! Attitudes are difficult to change and so are eating habits, so I guess we're all screwed!

May 26, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  26. Alex in Wisconsin

If people aren't willing to change their diets for their own health, i seriously doubt more people will change their diets to save the planet.

May 26, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  27. Bizz, Quarryville, Pennsylvania

I will give up lamb and tomatoes to help stop global warming. It shouldn't be that hard for me 'because I do not eat lamb and I'm not crazy about tomatoes. But I draw the line when it comes to beef, pork and chicken.

May 26, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  28. Jim

Jack,

Oh sure, sheep and cows! Goodbye steaks and lamb chops. Why is it we never hear about any burping spinach plants?

Jim
    Reno, Nevada

May 26, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  29. Jenna

How much are you willing to change your diet to combat global warming?

Since I eat mostly chicken and veggies and rarely drink I'm already there..

Jenna
    Roseville CA

May 26, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  30. Barbara in NC

Hey Jack – I'll bite, knowing there is no correct answer.

I gave up beef a few years ago, never liked lamb, etc. Also, no pork unless it is practically fat-free.

However, I will never give up even one of my home-grown tomatoes.

Can we get rid of gas-filled republicans instead of tomatoes?

May 26, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  31. Al, Lawrence KS

I've given up beans...they seem to produce a lot of gases.

May 26, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  32. peter from sask

None,,Meat and Potatoes for me..

May 26, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  33. Larry from Georgetown, Texas

I'm sure that the chicken and pork lobbyist are loving this and want to move this into law as soon as possible, all except eliminating alcohol from the list since most if not all of them must drink to live with themselves. Let the games begin and it should be interesting. By the way we're having roast for dinner.

May 26, 2009 at 2:34 pm |
  34. Melissa

The amount of carbon that eating produces is so miniscule as to be almost unnoticable. Why should I change my diet? What needs to be done to combat global warming is to cut back on the fossil fuels used, to start using better technology to increase the heating and cooling efficiency of houses, etc. Those are things that actually impact the carbon in the atmosphere.

May 26, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  35. Sue from Mississippi

I've already done my part to save the planet by becoming a vegetarian. Maybe, rather than researching lamb farts, governments could look at the carbon footprint of all the planes, ships, tanks, rockets and other petroleum-guzzling machines used by their massive military operations.

May 26, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  36. Daniel Indiana

Being a vegetarain, I'm not sure what I can really do to help. I will continue to garden tomatoes though, so that I might have some organic food to eat. I agree that cutting back on livestock will definitely help with the global warming problem.

May 26, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  37. Joe in VA

How much am I willing to change my diet? Not a damned bit. However, I will go plant a few trees. This whole carbon thing is now beyond bizarre. At what point do these loonies begin to say, "Let's just do away with people and save the planet."

Chatham,VA

May 26, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  38. Colleen Brooks, Charlotte, NC

absolutely, we're too fat anyway. I only eat meat because of the community sin of carnivorism.

May 26, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  39. Chi Town

Since the climate has changed thousands of times in the past... and will continue to do so.... I see no reason to change what I eat.

May 26, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  40. Sherri--Illinois

After 13mos of unemployment, I changed by diet a long time ago. Would I do it for global warming? Yes, I'm doing that now by cutting back on starches, no beef, no pork. lots of turkey, poultry, and fish plus lots of veggies.

May 26, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  41. Richard - Knoxville TN

Sure – Everyone should change their eating habits, as long as I don't have to give up my 8 MPG Hummer, cheap electricy from coal or products produced by China -

Or - Jack, you've gotta be kidding -

Knoxville

May 26, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  42. george

Jack when you exist on dog food, powdered milk. eggs, beans, and potatoes there isn't any change that wouldn't be a good change for me. Now that the price of gas is spiking, guess I will have to go back to a cheaper dog food instead of my usual Alpo.

May 26, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  43. BigD, Lakes + Woods, Northern Mn

"Jumpin Jack Cafferty, It's a GAS!"

I'll Change My Diet When; "Cow Manure, Used as Fertilizer Stops Helping Plants Grow, that In Turn Convert More Carbon Dioxide Into Bad, Bad Oxygen!

GLOBAL WARMING? They Really Need to Stop the Snow + Colder Spring Planting Weather We Just Had, that Kills Plants or Crops that Produce the Oxygen from What Class? Recite; "Carbon Dioxide!"

May 26, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  44. Ann from Hampton, New Jersey

Never mind changing our diets. Why doesn't the owners of the companies who are polluting our air do something about cleaning it up? Why shoud the rest of us do what they should be doing?

May 26, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  45. Ryan, Galesburg, IL

If you read about the toxins in our processed diets, you wouldn't want to eat the stuff any way. We're switching to all-organic foods, as the FDA has been looking out for the industry rather than the consumer anyway.

May 26, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  46. Meg from Troy, Ohio

Jack–
    Sure, I need to eat healthier any way–for both me and the planet.

May 26, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  47. Jef

Jack, I understand the concern – however, does this mean that people who reach their late 50s and beyond and start passing gas regularly, as they all do, should be eliminated for contributing to global warming because I guarantee you that my husband has been contributing to the overabundance of methane gas for years!

May 26, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  48. Pablo in Tejas

Jack
    Not on your Nellie!
    A meal without meat is like a day without sunshine. This is all part of the international godless atheist commie crypto-vegan conspiracy to ban the full English breakfast, double bacon chili cheeseburgers, and the traditional Christmas Turducken. Now if you will excuse me I have to go lie down and have my next heart attack.

Pablo
    Arlington Texas

May 26, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  49. steve in scappoose or

Jack,
    I couldn't leave this one alone. If raising a kilogram of mutton produces 37 lbs of carbon dioxide, how is it done? Is it from the exhaust generated by the vet's car driving over to vaccinate them, or the huffing and puffing of the rancher feeding them? I don't get it. Maybe if they knew they were headed for the dinner table they would hold their breath. The British could put out another study on how to educate the sheep on the potential damage they are doing, but convincing the potatoes and tomatoes is going to be tough.
    I am headed to the garden to save the planet.

May 26, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  50. Mark... Voorhees, New Jersey

May 26, 2009 at 3:00 pm |
  51. Terry, Chandler AZ

Whew Jack, I eat a salad with slices of roasted lamb and tomatos along with a couple of glasses of vodka nearly every night. But I'll do anything to save the planet. Looks like its gonna be chicken and fries from now on.

May 26, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  52. Erin in Northern CA

I don't have a problem giving up lamb/meat but shoot – we just planted 62 tomato plants in the vegetable garden! We thought that was a good thing...

May 26, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  53. J Atlanta

I'll do this; two all soy patties, lettuce, cheese, pickles, special sauce on a sesame seed bun. Hold the tomatoes, ketchup and fries. Doesn't sound so harsh. But just me doing it won't make any difference at all. The world will have to cooperate.

May 26, 2009 at 3:14 pm |
  54. Andy in Vancouver, BC

Sheep and cows don't burp much when they're in my stomach, so if anything I'm doing my part to help the planet.

May 26, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  55. Ursula Pleasantville, NJ

Jack, this reminds me of the "knowledge is power" commercials on TV. Most people don't have any idea how food gets into the the boxes and shrink wrap packages we purchase in markets. Giving folks the hard facts about animals, tomatoes, and alcohol- in other words, shocking us into awareness is the first step toward change.

So, what you're really asking us to do is to cut back on pizza and beer, and probably gyros. I'm in; since what's good for the planet is probably good for me. I never figured that you, on an unpredictably rainy and cold May day, would provide one of the missing links as to how to get my svelte figure back. Thanks a million!

May 26, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  56. Ben

im all for eating right but lambs, cows, tomatoes, and potatoes were around for a long time befor the industrial revolution and the planet was doing just fine then. the burning of coal and oil is the problem...not my dinner plate

May 26, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  57. Jay in Texas

I change my diet only to make myself healthier. I believe global warming, just like the oil shortage, is a big hoax. If one really wants to do something to help the environment, plant some trees, support re-forestation projects around the world, and recycle.
    Brownwood, Texas

May 26, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  58. odessa

i don't know but maybe i will probably change it..dieting is very hard but maybe i will try it..

May 26, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  59. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Jack: Sure Jack-if I thought that would resolve the issue--they are really reaching out on this explanation.

May 26, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  60. jim Toronto

No, but I would be willing to stop belching in public...

May 26, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  61. jack frost in vermont

aaawwwww c'mon Jack. Let me have my tomatoes. Things are bizzare enough today. Personally, I think the next Ice Age is just around the corner...it's overdue. Then we will fondly recall our brief episode of global warming and wished we still had tomatoes.

May 26, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  62. Patricia Rohn

Sitting here in Prescott, Mi, I can tell you we eat a lot of taters, pork and chicken. I can do without lamb, but how in the world do we live without tomatoes–no ketchup, no spaghetti sauce, no salsa?? I could do a lot, but back away from my rum.

May 26, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  63. Geri - Mead, OK

Since I eat few tomatoes, beef rarely, and never eat lamb I'd say my diet is already helping to save the planet from global warming.

My motto has always been everything in moderation including moderation. Unplug or turn off when your done. Excessiveness in any area always causes problems individually and en masse.

May 26, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  64. Lynn, Columbia, Mo..

I'm willing up to a point. Don't mess with my chocolate or there will be hell to pay.

May 26, 2009 at 3:50 pm |
  65. Kevin ,Fl

I already eat most of the friendly foods, Pork , Chicken , and Fish....what I will not do however is become a Tofu Junkie and drink designer bottled water......Beer , Soda , and Fruit Juices are just fine

May 26, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  66. Beauregard

No. I don't think changing my diet will solve the global climate problem. I don't eat much meat as it is. However the smart thing to do would be to feed the lambs and cattle Garlic because it reduces methane produced in the stomach by half. It also reduces the amount of biting flies that land on them because flies hate garlic making life for the animal much more comfortable.

May 26, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  67. Bob D, Morrisown, NJ

Yes, I would be willing to modify my consumption, as part of a worldwide program. I hardly eat lamb as is, and would be willing to switch some of my bovine consumption to fish, foul etc. This blurb is a bit misleading however. While methane has a much greater greenhouse effect than and equivalent amount carbon dioxide, methane degrades into non-greenhouse components at a much faster rate. Therefore its net greenhouse effect is lower than that of carbon dioxide.

May 26, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  68. Peter

Nope! ! ! Next question

Dallas, TX

May 26, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  69. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Can't we just put a cap and trade policy in effect? If I eat a steak, maybe I can buy carbon credits from someone who eats a salad. This gives a whole new meaning to the term "Happy Meal".

May 26, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  70. Pugas-AZ

I'm going to do everthing to make Al Gore and his merry men happy. Let's see: Stop driving, stop drinking, stop heating and cooling my home, stop lighting my home, take no more vacations, ...etc. And last but not least, stop drinking water and eating. If we all do that, it will be a perfect world.

May 26, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  71. Richard in Mexico

I will switch from eating primarily "meat and potatos" to eating "chicken and potatos."

May 26, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  72. Randy from Salt Lake City, UT

But Jack, home grown tomatoes taste soooo much better than potatoes. Anyway, since I don't have kids, I could care less about future generations. They're going to be dumber than the last generation -and that's pretty dumb.

May 26, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  73. Linda in Arizona

I don't eat any burping creatures, or any creatures at all. I don't drink alcohol. Tomatoes are a problem- salsa, you know. Also, I drink a lot of diet Dr. Pepper, and that makes ME burp. Anybody think of that?

May 26, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  74. Ken in NC

I'm willing to make changes . That is not the problem. The problem is that no one else believes in global warming so they will not support change until they can see the end of the existence of the earth on the horizon. It will be to late by then but at least I will have had my self buried face down so I can see them on their way down for the last time.

May 26, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  75. Doris/St. Louis

Presently, I'm existing on a fixed income, if I changed my diet anymore, I would be fasting(for the remainder of my life).

May 26, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  76. Terence

Jack, Im on a diabetic diet now and its not fun not eating what i want all the time. Due to my suffering with my diet you will have to pick up the slack for me Jack to help out the enviornment for me . Good question Jack. Bon appatite!

May 26, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  77. Scott Stodden

Well Jack, I have actually changed my diet in past two years, I dont eat any meat except chicken, because I love fried chicken. I dont beleive in my opinion that beef and pork or any other meat is healthy to eat but I think alot of people will change there diets if it helps global warming and every little bit actually does help.

Scott Stodden (Freeport, Il)

May 26, 2009 at 4:24 pm |
  78. Adam Mercer

Jack, I am at a loss as to how something that produces oxygen (a tomato plant does that), can possibly be hurting the environment. Does this mean the next step for the environmental movement is to suggest we burn down all the plants, or will it just be tomatoes?

May 26, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  79. LUCI - ILLINOIS

Don't partake of Alcohol, don't eat lamb, but sure love Tomatoes. I can give them up if necessary. I will keep my husband though, even if he does give off plenty of gas!!!!!!

May 26, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  80. Gigi

I only eat or drink tomatoes of the three. So I guess I could cut out my tomato intake in half.

Oregon

May 26, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  81. Agnes from Scottsdale, AZ

Jack: I'm willing to make some changes to my diet, but again there is no silver bullet to fix the global warming issue. This is a great time for the scientists of the world to come up with a menu of personal actions that all the world's people can work on. Having said that, I'd sure miss my beer on Friday night – maybe they could work on the carbon generated by alcohol first!

May 26, 2009 at 4:37 pm |
  82. Nancy, Tennessee

If our food supply is causing a dangerous amount of carbon dioxide, then we may as well forget about saving the planet because we are doomed. Maybe instead of doing away with cows and lambs we should consider not stripping the land of its forests which are here in our ecological system to cleanse the air of carbon dioxide. We destroy some parts of the system and expect a good outcome. It doesn't work like that.

May 26, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  83. Flyingwolf, Manchester NH

I'm aready a vegetarian, but–pleazzzze–not the tomatoes! By they way, by referring to sheep and cows "burping" do they really mean the gaseous products coming from the other end? Harvesting that might ease some of the oil shortage. Farmers did that long ago in the days of gaslights and it was the only source of gas for lighting, cooking and electricity generation until the discovery of natural gas.

May 26, 2009 at 4:40 pm |
  84. John from Alabama

Jack: Global warming is a serious problem, but better the world start using more electric cars, and spend more money to make coal fired electric plants safer. The electric car is coming in 2011, and if we can find $1 trillion all the coal fired electric pants can be made safe. No one in Europe is straving, therefore; it is easy to take lamb and beer of the table.

May 26, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  85. Matt - Honolulu, HI

I'd love to eat healthier and adjust my diet to help combat global warming. However, the high cost of food, a lack of free time, and a limited budget keep me from eating as well as I should. As a member of the working class, sometimes you just have to eat crap that will kill you in order to survive.

May 26, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  86. Phil Marrone

Jack, people respond to economic incentives. We will not go "green" until it is more economically pheasible to do so. Either we can let it happen the productive way and allow the marketplace to create a stable economic transition where new, efficient green technology over-takes the fossil fuel -based technology or we can have the government get involved and make us more dependent upon them. People will transition when the economy moves them in that direction naturally. What we need is a new industrial revolution.

May 26, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  87. Alfred Thornton

I would be willing to listen if it can be proved that driving a car puts out less carbon.

May 26, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  88. Don in Delaware

First, everything causes cancer... now, everything that burps and whatever helps to destroy the environment? What's next? The banning of soda because it makes all the humans burp?

May 26, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  89. Alan - Buxton, Maine

Since I am a vegetarian who makes my own beer and wine and grow many of my own vegetables I have little to change but if necessary I certainly would. If climate change grows too severe there will be no need to change diet as we will all perish anyway.

May 26, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  90. Roland(St George,UT)

I'm glad to know this, Jack. So, how about if everyone in the world stops eating beans for 1 year. Consider much less methane will be "emitted" into the atmosphere then. Perhaps that will cool the planet down by a degree or two and buy the world a bit more time to solve more pressing environmental problems, such as how mankind can move away from our dependency on fossil fuels.

(Roland/St George, UT)

May 26, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  91. Will from San Jose

We need perspective on things like this. A car produces over 11 thousand pounds to carbon dioxide a year. There is a huge difference in impact there. The biggest issue with agriculture is the clearing of forest lands for raising livestock. The loss of trees has a much greater impact that any amount of animal flatulence.

May 26, 2009 at 4:49 pm |
  92. Roland(St George,UT)

I'm glad to know this, Jack. How about if everyone in the world stops eating beans for 1 year. Consider how much less methane will be "emitted" into the atmosphere then. Perhaps that will cool the planet down by a degree or two and buy the world a bit more time to solve more pressing environmental problems, such as how mankind can move away from our dependency on fossil fuels.
    (Roland/St George, UT)

May 26, 2009 at 4:49 pm |
  93. Murry, Costa Mesa CA

This is getting ridiculous. We have to look out for saturated fat, mercury, carcinogens, country of origin, hormones, carbs, calories, animal cruelty, pesticides, processed food, etc. What is there left to eat!? Seriously! We should challenge these experts to put out lists of perfect foods. I'm willing to bet it's a very short or non-existent list.

May 26, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  94. Mari, Salt Lake City, Utah

Yes, in fact, we are doing what we can to eat local. Including shopping locally, meaning when I want to buy a book, I buy the book at the local book store, versus the national chain store.

Also, since I work in the home, I do not drive 2 or 3 times a week. Wish every American would not drive 2 or 3 times a week, taking the bus, etc., and we could watch the price of oil .......... drop!

How about it America, are you willing to not drive at least 2 days a week?

May 26, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  95. Dave in Nashville

Simple. Vodka is made from potato...drink more and no one will worry what the real answer is.

May 26, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  96. Don (Ontario)

With the way prices have been rising lately, we may have no choice.

May 26, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  97. Art

Plant more trees so I can eat more tomatoes please.

May 26, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  98. Melissa in Raleigh

Should we talk about beer and refried beans while we're at it?

May 26, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  99. cedric

We're Americans, changing our diet is the last thing we Americans will do to combat Global Warming.

May 26, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  100. Andrew K

Yes i will change by diet. More importantly we need to start eating locally grown food instead of shipping produce hundreds of miles. That will have a more significant impact than topping your burger with a slice of potatoe than tomatoe.

May 26, 2009 at 5:39 pm |