March 18th, 2009

Your economic questions for Pres. Obama?

President Barack Obama heads to California today where he'll hold a couple of town hall-style meetings and answer questions from ordinary Americans about the economy, among other things.

President Obama will answer questions from ordinary California citizens.

Although a visit to California is usually a breeze for a Democratic president, Mr. Obama should probably prepare himself for a good grilling. California - which, on its own, is the world's eighth-largest economy - has been ravaged by the recession, a housing meltdown and double-digit unemployment. The president's trip also comes while the public is outraged over the $165 million in bonuses given to AIG executives.

Americans have plenty of worries about the economy. A new CNN-Opinion Research Corporation poll shows 63 percent of those surveyed say the economy is the most important issue facing the country.

When asked what the top economic concern is, 36 percent of Americans say unemployment, 20 percent say inflation, 16 percent say the mortgage crisis, 14 percent say the stock market, and 11 percent say taxes.

In addition to the town hall meetings, President Obama is scheduled to appear on 'The Tonight Show' with Jay Leno tomorrow night, making him the first sitting president to hit the late-night talk show circuit.

It's all part of the White House's effort to sell its economic plan to Main Street.

Here’s my question to you: What would you tell the president about the economic situation where you live?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

John from Colorado writes:
Mr. President, our Chrysler minivan is too small for the whole family to live in, plus it can get darn cold in the winter here. Please stick to your plan and keep at it until enough jobs are created to turn this economic mess around. Other than that, things are going great.

Charlie from Belen, New Mexico writes:
I sincerely believe that Pres. Obama is doing the best he can. I would advise him that unless he can straighten out the "who did what and when" regarding the AIG bonuses and publicly take those concerned "to the woodshed" no matter who or how important they are, his personal creditability with the American public will suffer. And that will make his job going forward even more difficult.

Dorothea from California writes:
It sucks! That's from north Orange County, California. Our annuity is with AIG. We can't sell our home. We're trying to retire. Our mutual funds took a serious dive. I don't know who got the tickets to the Obama Town Hall meeting today - but he's in south Orange County where all the money is.

Ed from Iowa writes:
The major employers in this area are all but gone. Now what? Continue to "wait" for better times. I have bills now. I have kids now. Should I ask them to wait for dinner?

Kelly from Pennsylvania writes:
Can I get a stimulus check after you tax the ying-yang out of those AIG bonus nabbers?

Lynn writes:
Mr. President, The economy in the Indiana, Michigan, Ohio area is devastating. How in the world do we try to retain a positive outlook and believe in our future when these corporate misfits who brought their companies to the brink of death give themselves hefty bonuses? I know folks who cannot afford to go the dentist, doctor or sometimes put food on the table. How can this disparity continue? I simply don't understand.

Filed under: Economy • President Barack Obama
  1. Hubie D

Can some of the millions of dollars that were earmarked to be distributed to the failed AIG executives bonus packages be redirected to help out the average american homeowner who is struggling to pay his/her mortgage, keep a roof over his/her families head, food on the table and clothes on their backs?

Hubie D
    Ft. Worth Texas

March 18, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  2. Mark from New York

I will ask Obama, why you just do not focus ONLY in fixing the economy rather than take too much in the first bite... if you do a good job for sure you will get a second term..

March 18, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  3. Boakai Pa

President Obama, it is fair to bail out banks and others by using tax payers dough; but why can't the banks bailout consumers that have poor credit by getting in contact with the 3 credit bureaus that will effects our borrowing power after the banks get their senses together?

March 18, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  4. Sara B,

Would it help if Americans like me, who are still blessed with a job, bought savings bonds? I know there were bond drives during WWII and my thought was if we finance our own debt, it might reduce some of the fear the world has about our situation.

March 18, 2009 at 5:04 pm |
  5. DAME-O / TEXAS

My question Jack would be "Would you please replace that TRES SEC.of yours, he's awful?"

March 18, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  6. Lynn, Columbia, Mo..

I'd tell him our foodbanks are running out of food and ask if they could start up the gov. commodities again.

March 18, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  7. Robert Postuma

Why did Hussein Obama appoint a known tax cheat to head the Treasury, and why does he let Geithner hire more tax cheats as his assistants?
    Is he trying to assemble the best team of tax cheats to head the Treasury, becausethey know all the angles?

March 18, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  8. Ron K

Hello Jack:

All I would like to know is Who Is Responsible for all of this? And when will the government prosecute them?

Ron San Diego

March 18, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  9. nANCY kALNES

Has anyone lit a match under Sen. Dodd? Shouldn't he have a least one foot in the fire? He is the chairman of the Sen. Banking Committee. What is with this guy. Is he made of teflon> Everything seem to just slide off his back. He was partly responsible for the rules and regs. He took $103,000 from AIG. It scares me to think he ran for President. It's all enough to make one barf.

March 18, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  10. Julie

To leave it alone. All of this spending with borrowed money is just prolonging the recession and liable to create more problems in the future.

March 18, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  11. John, Fort Collins, CO

Mr. President, our Chrysler minivan is too small for the whole family to live in, plus it can get darn cold in the winter here. Please stick to your plan and keep at until enough jobs are created to turn this economic mess around. Other than that, things are going great.

March 18, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  12. Ken in NC

I would tell the President that the economic situation here is like a hole in the ground. I dropped a rock down the hole and got a recording telling me to come back tomorrow and bring a rocking chair. This economy has me more worried than a “Peg Leg Man” in a toothpick factory.

March 18, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  13. Barbara - NC

Jack- I worked on a contract in CA for two years plus. The Indians that were on the contract would run their home equity up to max, buy a ticket to India, and never make another payment.

Why does CA allow H1B visa holders to purchase homes and then run up max on equity and leave the country? Why does this country allow it?

March 18, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  14. Reckless

What would I tell President Obama?

Hurry!

Reckless
    Deltona, Florida

March 18, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  15. Julie

Julie
    Pflugerville, TX

March 18, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  16. Linda S./Texas

You know things are bad in this country when we are laying off teachers. Educating our young people should be our number one priority at this point, especially because these are the ones that are going to inherit the fallout from the really bad decisions made by these business executives and politicians.

March 18, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  17. Rick Viles

What are you going to do to stop the senseless war on drugs so we can stop wasting money on war and things we need like health care.

March 18, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  18. John in San Diego

I'd tell him what he, as a community organizer, already knows: that all politics – and all economics – is local. Our President is already doing his best to get stimulus funds into the hands of local governments. He needs to be vigilant and ensure it's spent quickly and wisely.

March 18, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  19. Louise in Alabama

My blood is AB negative. I will give all that my country needs if you will tax the hell out of those greedy, sneaky, mice that ate all that cheese out of AIG and then let the house rot.

March 18, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  20. ED Clarinda Iowa

The major employer's in this area are all but gone. Now what? Continue to "wait" for better times. I have bills now. I have kids now, should I ask them to wait for dinner.

March 18, 2009 at 5:14 pm |
  21. Dorothea Clymer

It sucks! That's from north Orange County, California. Our annuity is with AIG; we can't sell our home; we're trying to retire; our mutual funds took a serious dive; I don't know who got the tickets to the Obama Town Hall meeting today–but he's in south Orange County where all the money is.

March 18, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  22. John Sanner

Jack, Let's ask that we give no more money to the banks.
    If they – Congreess would have split the entire stimulus package between all Tax paying Americans, we could pay our bill, mortgages and THEN the banks would have the money, and we would be able to spend more to stimulate the ecomony.

March 18, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  23. sheila from New York

I would ask the President to remain calm under all the pressure and work to bring AIG, Bank of America and the other bailed out companies to a profitable resolution. The American taxpayers can benefit from owning large stakes in these companies if we play our cards right.

Going forward the President should make it clear to Timothy Geithner that no deals will be made with financial institutions that does not involve a reworking of all compensation of any employee earning more than $250,000 yearly.

March 18, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  24. david

If the big aig com.are going to blow our money why not just give it to the tax payers so we can use it instead of giving it to millionaires because they are not doing anything for us

March 18, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  25. Lynn

Mr President, the economy in the Indiana, Michigan, Ohio area is devestating.
    How in the word do we try to retain a positive outlook and beleive in our furture when these corp misfits who brought their companies to the 'brink" of death give themeselve heafty bonuses.
    I know folks who cannot affort to go the dentist, doctor or sometimes put food on the table.......................................how can this disparity continue?
    I simply don't understand.

March 18, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  26. John Crone

Keep Gov't out of the free market. I refuse to take part in the recession – I am responsible for my own success or failure. I think the media should look for success stories to uplift the public instead of the "doom & gloom" stories we see every day...

March 18, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  27. Brandon from New York

My son went to college on student loans because the previous administration cut education funding and we couldn't pay for all the costs out of pocket. Now he has graduated and he cannot find a job. Mr. President, how will you help my son?

March 18, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  28. Hubert Bertrand Oberlin La.

Since the oil BOOM; Prices for eggs,milk bread and all the grocerys have doubbled,Oil when down.But food prices are still up. No one hears the cry of us little people in very small towns.We can complain all we want but no one hears us, Till they want our VOTES then we still don't matter

March 18, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  29. Doug, Kansas City

I would tell him the economic situation is not good as it currently sits. A lot of people are being laid off or are on temporary lay off. Lot of people trying to figure out ways to pay bills, or trying to plan for the worst, in case something else happens.

In a way all the President has to do is fix the obvious. Unfair trade deficits, profit driven health care, outsourcing companies, and pumping government dollar after dollar into wars with countries just because they have oil – these issues are just as much to blame (if not more) for the local economic situation, rather than pin it all on bad loans the banks made when people had jobs.

March 18, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  30. ficus flanagan

I would ask the President why he is always looking to the right and the left when talking to supposedly me.....I want him to look me in the eye and just tell the TRUTH about how he can continue to bob and weave around this problem with such incompetence. Why doesn't he just be HONEST...is he afraid of the TRUTH?

March 18, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  31. Mark Watson

I would ask President Obama why so little money was put in the stimulus package for job retraining and workforce development. All these new jobs coming on line in infrastructure and energy, but none of us can get these jobs withour training. By the math, the dollar amount per unemployed american isn't even enough for a skiing lesson, let alone job retraining. I'm a 23 year carpenter, what am I suppose to do? Mark, Columbia Falls, Montana

March 18, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  32. Colleen @ Saginaw, Michigan

I would like to see the gov't put a rein on the credit card interest rates. It should be no higher than the rate of interest banks give on savings accounts. I have neighbors who had to use the cards for essentials such as medicine, and they may never be able to pay down the debt. If the rates were lowered people could pay down or pay off the cards' principal. Millions of Americans could then buy more goods and services, instead of paying mostly credit card interest.

March 18, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  33. George Chassey

I live under the leadersrhip of Gov. Mark Sanford. That says it all.

George Chassey
    West Columbia, S. C.

March 18, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  34. maria, california

I live in California which is absolutely bankrupt right now and yet is still paying out services and benefits to illegal aliens. Why are we bending over backwards to give them education, healthcare, housing, food stamps and more when American citizens are having trouble making ends meet? Why don't American citizens have people, advocacy groups and lawyers fighting for them for a change? Why do those people who break laws (Illegal aliens) and screw people over (wall street, AIG etc) get all the benefits? Who is leading by example? Pretty much we are being shown that if you play by the rules you are screwed!

March 18, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  35. Carl Hall

Mr. Obama the banks are not lending, my credit card company (chase) just raised my rate to double figures and they say because I am a good customer. The banks wont refinance, because they say I am good customer and I was never late. Give me the money.

March 18, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  36. Ralph Spyer chicago Il

There a saying in Chicago " if you can"t find a job in Chicago then we must be in a depression" Because the economy is so diverse here .Well Jack even the aliens are moving back.

March 18, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  37. Maryl

Full time Jobs for college graduates seem to be non-existent. When is there going to be a bail out package for them on their strudent loans. These college students and their children are the ones that are going to be paying for all of this mess for their entire lives, on top of their college loan debts. Forget about ever buying a new car, or house. They will be lucky to have a decent place to rent. (That even seems to be hard to find)

March 18, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  38. alice from mi

bring back the factories.

March 18, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  39. don Tucson,Arizona

I would tell Obama that we should make more bailouts to improve the economy.
    , I am a Democrat.

March 18, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  40. bryan

Being from Huntsville, Alabama I've seen that yes the economy is hurting but here where we are its not as bad as other places in this country but the question I do want to ask is with everything going on in this country shouldn't we be worried about other countrys that are actually pretty welthy in this world?

March 18, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  41. Derrick Iowa

We need the banks to start lending i need a new car. LOL!

March 18, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  42. Joshua P. from NC

Jack,
    I'd tell the President that my college is cutting back on teachers, courses, library hours and majors for the fall semesters. Also I would would tell him that he's wasted $664 billion dollars on the pentagon and could have been better spent here at home.

March 18, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  43. Kevin

Jack, I live in Michigan! Nuff said!

Kevin,
    Warren, MI

March 18, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  44. Armando Mercado, Bartow Fl.

I would want to know what he would do about the corporate greed that has stolen the money of the American people with high gas prices and higher prices of essential needs for day to day life, and the those same corporations turns around and asks us to bail them out. What would he do to make sure that all the corporations pay just as much as the American people currently pay?

March 18, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  45. michelle from San Francisco, CA

it's not dead yet. but it's in ICU and the state government can't afford to fix it... . .

oh, and the sale tax is going to increase to 9.5% next month. GREAT! it's time to move to somewhere else.

March 18, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  46. Steve - Mich

$14.80/ hour Jobs being offered for Bachelor degree in Chemistry + 4 yrs experience in specialized field. ... was that $100,000 in college loans worth that?
    $10/hour for QA work – $8/hour delivering pizzas
    $12/hr = ~ $25,000/yr= ~ $22,000/yr net = Minimum of Associates degree + military certifications, specialized in Electronics/Avionics + 2 yrs experience.
    wow! so glad americans are being paid so well, to deal with skyrocketing costs of living, and Billionaires on Wall Street ravaging us.
    thanks.

March 18, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  47. Jan - Pennsylvania

Why is the stimulus plan based on a trickle down theory....it doesn't appear to be working. Why not make a correction, send bailout money to ordinary taxpayers, who will pay mortgages down or off, pay auto loans off, and pay credit card balances down or off? The money ultimately goes to the banks, which gives them additional money to loan to consumers and small businesses? It would also be better for the morale of all US taxpayers.

OR....afford EVERYONE the opportunity for a low interest mortgage....help us all to remortgage.

March 18, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  48. Mickey Jetpur

There seems to be help for a lot of people now from the President and the government. What help is there for the people who already lost their homes,their downpayment and their life savings,their credit and respect?

March 18, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  49. John Weng

"Mr. President, what should we, as individual citizens who are doing well, do to help this country?" I believe that we as Americans should ask more of these questions than keep asking what the government should do.

San Antonio TX

March 18, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  50. jeff

Why did Arnold have to be our governor?? Its not like he's making anything better... Seriously I never seen so many houses close down that fast, its only a matter of time when I would have to step up and face this little/ GIGANTIC problem as well as everybody else.. Where's Arnold?? maybe he should keep his head off the roids and start worrying about how he can turn the state of california around.. Of course he work for the government he doesn't have to worry about going home to an empty fridge

March 18, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  51. Catherine of Easley, S.C.

I would have to tell Obama that God takes care of me, and not the Government. And I would have to tell Obama that men who holds power in their hands will have to answer to God on what they did with that power whether it was for good or evil. Then I would ask Obama when will he ask God what to do,? Because man just simply do not have the right answers. We need long term answers. and not temporary answers. Only God can give them.

March 18, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  52. Marvin

Jack , not my question but a statement to the president, would be,, there is too many parts out sourced off shore to build the N American auto, all electric vehicles have 70% less moving parts and together with a smart grid and alternative energy solutions, we can build it now and here. It is time to convert those idled auto plants into action by building small residential wind turbines and parts for electric cars so we can get off foriegn oil. Put americans & Canadians back to work!

marvin
    Stratford Ont Canada

March 18, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  53. Mark

I have been trying to find a way that the recession has effected me and I don't see any... Everyone is so worked up about AIG and I ask how does it effect you? "It's not fair!" they say...well boohoo! It trully doesn't matter to me. There are far more important issues in the world to me.

March 18, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  54. Gregory Daulton

Mr. President,

Our neighborhood is ground zero for the housing melt down. My zip is 95828. That and 95827 are among the communities with the highest foreclosure rates in California.

We bought our house the old fashion way; with a down payment. Because of some irresponsible borrowers and unscrupulous lenders, people like me have seen their equity disappear. We're so underwater we practically need a snorkel to get from one day to the next.

How about bailing out homeowners who have played by the rules? Get the banks to lower our loan balances to equal home values, based on our mortgages being current and are good payment record.

Gregory

Sacramento.

March 18, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  55. D

The economy in my town, as well as others, would increase if you start drug & alcohol screening those who sit and collect goverment goodies (i.e. unemployment, food stamps & etc) mastering "doing nothing". This is similar to the A.I.G. situation going on now.

D
    Omaha, Ne

March 18, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  56. Dale McCartney

After letting him know that I will be losing my job in four months, I would tell the president that where I live is in a destitute state of economy and I would back that up with photos and an invitation to my economically battered town.

March 18, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  57. Pugas-AZ

Empty stores here. Will there be empty promises there?

March 18, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  58. Marcelion Aguilar

Mr President, could you please stop send our tax dollars to companies that proven that are failures? Can you please send our tax dollars back to the PEOPLE? Can you please fulfill just one of your promises to the American people?

Hope thats not to many questions.

March 18, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  59. Dan

The economic situation in Colorado might not be quite as bad as in California, but I'm doing everything I can to hang on. I gladly voted for Mr. Obama, and I don't blame him for where we are, but I'm losing faith fast the more I see how irresponsible our nation's leaders are with my tax money. At this point, the best stimulous plan I can think of is to not pay my taxes at all. I think I deserve my tax money more than people like AIG's Mr. Liddy.

March 18, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  60. Michele Stegora

IMMIGRATION, IMMIGRATION, IMMIGRATION? I Live in Idaho where we have so many illegals working on dairy farms and trashing our neighberhoods and what's worse , they get free health care when we have to pay through the nose for it!! If all theses republican's in this state don't start realizing what they are doing, we will end up like california BROKE!BROKE! BROKE! WE NEED TO CLOSE OUR SOUTHERN BORDERS BEFORE THIS PLAQUE SPREADS ANY FURTHER. Immigration is the cause of our expensive healthcare and the foreclosure problem in this country!!!!!

March 18, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  61. frankie

Mr. President, here in Ohio I was scammed by my home-heating gas company this winter but they were following "Ohio code." Look what AIG just did to the government. Please keep on keepin' on with what you are doing, we desperately need the sounder, smarter, more honest economy that you are working towards. Thank-you Mr. President.

March 18, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  62. Harry Lime

Jack,
    I would tell the president not to allow the government to meddle too much. There is nothing but trouble when we allow the elected pols to manage business. If they did a good job at that, they wouldn't be in congress, they would be running businesses.
    Harry
    Tampa

March 18, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  63. ray brooklyn

jack the last election day was like thanksgiving,xmas, and the 4th of july all rolled into one.i tried to calm my family down but they call me a black jack cafferty, a carmudgeon. now they call me a geniusi i would like to ask the president what changes he would put into place so NO robber barons could ever hold the country hostage with that too big to fail crap.we do have anti trust laws,remember ma bell? the economic crisis here in new york is so bad that albany is trying to tax everything except air,with no help in sight.i'm headin' south

March 18, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  64. Jeff

I would ask why are we still allowing the abuse of H-1B visas. Millions of Americans are being laid off, but the foreign workers are not being laid off. They use all of the public services such as police, roads, schools, etc, yet since they don't own houses, so they pay no property tax and loopholes allow them to pay less in income taxes. Basically, Americans are getting hit twice, they are getting laid off and their taxes are paying for services used by the foreign workers.

March 18, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  65. matt.benzor san bernardino,ca

My question would be does he think the same market that swept him into the white-house and destroyed John MCcain chances in the campaign !Will sweep him back out in 4 years due to the mess they created.

March 18, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  66. Richard Gehweiler

Question:
    If the US Government and Congress had taken the 152 billion dollars they have already given to AIG and distributed it equally AFTER TAXES to every man women and child in the US over the age of 21, what do you think that would have done for the economy? I don't have handy population figures, but I believe it would be over $500,000 a person. Pretty good stimulus package. Not only would the US treasury get the taxes off the top (25%?), but the amount of mortgage and debt pay down by everyone in trouble would have saved us. Maybe I am missing something here
    Rick Gehweiler

March 18, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  67. Neil (Arizona)

Jack, I would tell the president that no matter where I live and regardless of the economy, government needs to start prosecuting those responsible for the corruption in our financial system that is becoming a threat to our national security. Even if tit is to be found in house. Who ever actually entered the verbiage allowing AIG to receive outrageous bonuses (that is now being denied across the board) should be tried as a terrorist. They are acting heinously and are now a threat to our national security. Maybe Guantanamo should be reserved for some congressman who have no integrity.

March 18, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  68. Rick L

Hello Jack, remember you from the local New York station years back. My question to President Obama would be since I have been in Southern California for 15 years now in the media business and laid off twice. I have seen the good and now the bad times. I used my 401k to survive in 2008 and now need to pay large taxes due now in 2009 of which I cannot afford. Would you consider a stimulus to help people that used their 401K and not pay back those taxes to create more of a hardship?

March 18, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  69. David Bakody Nova Scotia

Mr. President with over 5000 brave soldiers killed and over 45,000 wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan in defence of US of A and the free world, why can not one politician speak the truth and name those responsible for writing the language that gave AIG the permission to duke their families and others of taxpayers money?

March 18, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  70. John, Fort Collins, CO

A postcard:
    Barack,
    I Hope all goes well with your trip to California. Please write if you find work.
    John

March 18, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  71. Lillie Mcneill

I'd say "sock it to 'em." Its time those fat cats at AIG felt the pain of the country. They are "at will employees" right? Well, now the taxpayers own 80% of the company. Don't let it got into Chapter 11 if it would ruin the financial system. Fire the culprits. And hire some one who is better qualified and unemployed.

March 18, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  72. Eion in Florida

The puck doesnt stop at you Mr President it has flew past you and is hitting us all down in South Florida in fact it just hit me out of a job and its moving to hit my morggage then on to my food ,I just wish it could hit a few of those lawmakers that put in that amendment that allowed their buddies in AIG to collect their share of the tarp .Woe on to those that dont have friends in Govt in this Economic crisis

March 18, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  73. Bud Pratt Punta Gorda, FL

Things aren’t looking good in Florida, Mr. President. People are worried sick, and as mad as hornets.

So, I want to thank you, for being a full-time President, doing everything you can. Don’t let the flak slow you down, we need your best efforts. Thank you, and thank goodness that a man of your caliber was available for a time like this.

Bud Pratt Punta Gorda, FL

March 18, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  74. Kevin H

I would let the president know that, why is it that the AIG, and all of the filthy rich who get these bonuses and get caught usually get off with absolutely no punishment? Make them pay, make examples of each and everyone that has abused this money that we are sweating blood to "assist" in fixing this. If it were the little man doing something of the same nature he would already be locked up..... It's time to stop talking with the big stick and using the big stick to crack some skulls and get this economy back in shape.

March 18, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  75. John

Tell Mr Obama to secure our boarders with Mexico & tell all the
    ileagles to go home or freight them home , they are burdening our healtyh care , school's , state food stamp and social securety ,officeses
    Build the fences and Bring the US Marines Home And have them
    to help our law inforcement people .
    This will save billions long term !!!!

March 18, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  76. Chris, New Jersey

Jack,

I would ask him why states like Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama and Kentucky receive federal aid in excess of the tax dollars they collect? These states get as much as 65% – 100% more back from the federal government than they pay. ( So for every $1000 collected, Mississippi gets back $2000) At the same time, they provide hundreds of millions of dollars in tax abatements and "industrial revenue bonds" ( low cost financing ) to foreign auto makers. Guess what Michigan gets back? ( $920 for every $1000). So Michigan taxpayers are subsidizing states that give it to foreign car companies? Here in New Jersey we get back $610 for every $1000. Why are we subsidizing the south when they just give it away to foreigners?

March 18, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  77. Pam McCool

I am 75,-- my husband ,who had a stroke is 73, my daughter who is 43 has lost her job in management, my grandaughter of 19 who a working CNA, my sons and families, all now depend partially on me to keep financial roofs over all our heads.BUT- we, here in deep snow country, have wild swans, ducks, elk, moose ,birds, wolves, coyotes etc each day. Their wild environment depends on we humans who are living here and keeping their world intact away from bankers as well.Maybe that A.I.G. money should go to charity at the very least since we ,who are loosing out , continue supporting our natural world out of what savings are left!– Pam McCool- Wilson, Wyoming

March 18, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  78. Bruce Mann

I'd tell him, as a constitution expert, that the government is responsible "To borrow money on the credit of the United States" and "To coin money, regulate the value thereof," ... not the banks. The government, not the insurance companies.

March 18, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  79. tom jasun

Today the President said "the buck stops here" when avoiding answering a reporters question.The truth is his outrage on Monday was that of a phoney.He was well arare of the bonuses involved prior to that.Unfortunately all the fools in Washington weren't even aware of the type of bonuses.

March 18, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  80. Dennie

I am currently unemployed, without medical ins, disabled, and broke, and all I am hearing is who is to blame, stop the blame game, it needs to be dealt with but what has already happened is not the real issue going forward. Right now fix the loopholes and prevent any further misuse of taxpayer funds. We are one country and should have one government (not republican or democrat) doing what is best for the country not the party.

March 18, 2009 at 5:23 pm |
  81. Ron

The view from Michigan continues to grow darker in all aspects of our society. I think President Obama has totally forgotten what food stamps and unemployment felt like in his youth. His loud words and little stick can't even control the greed in his own party and we are headed for another revolution in this country- the economic one. I just want to send my federal taxes to someone I can trust! Any ideas who that may be Jack?

March 18, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  82. vincent j. conti, woburn, mass.

Want to create jobs immediately and share the cost. In the northeast most of the utility lines are above ground and they are ugly plus they are subject to ice storms which bring power failure to the users. THESE OCCUR IN WINTER
    WHICH LEAVES TO SOME SEVERE HARDSHIPS . i as a user would be happy to pay a small surcharge on my utility bill plus some government aid and also the utility absorbing some of the cost. Vin Conti, Woburn, Mass.

March 18, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  83. Bruce Marshall

Jack I would tell him that I could do a quick fix, we need company's that produce products that need to be replaced, like like light bulbs, TV's, items people buy over and over again. But they have all gone over seas. I like the green jobs that the Pres. wants to get started but once the wind turbines are built there will not be a big demand to replace them every year. We will be in a bigger mess in a few years than we are now because we have spent all this money and will be back in the same place. I would tell him to put an import tax equal to what the item would be if built in the U.S.A.

March 18, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  84. Greg Mechanicsburg, PA

I would like to tell President Obama that the biggest problem here in Pennsylvania is the same one plaguing the rest of our nation. The problem is that the laws governing “Incorporation” are in dire need of revision. If you have ever seen the movies, “The Insider,” with Russell Crowe or “Erin Brackovich” you have peeked through a window big business would like to close. "Incorporation" is the biggest scam ever invented to allow a select few to hide behind the anonymity of the corporation so they can make as much money as possible with the least amount of personal risk. The Washington Post’s Carrie Johnson reported how, “Incorporation Rules Enable Fraud.” The rules allow individuals to make decisions to maximize profit with their only concern for public welfare being potential law suits. These executives are protected by a host of lawyers, confidentiality clauses and contracts, and smear tactics aimed against any whistle-blower. These incorporation laws must be examined and made to individualize criminal responsibilities, require public input to ensure public welfare and to protect individual rights of those injured by products, services, or actions by the corporation.

March 18, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  85. Michael Hughes (Munster,IN)

I would ask president obama how he can really start helping people in the city of Gary and surrounding areas. Nipsco is taking so much money that people are running there houses on gasoline generators to SAVE money. Installing commercial wind turbines to harness our average years wind speed of 12 mph on all the public structures in Gary. This investment could cut the governments bills from energy about 70% and create 10,000 jobs in a city with an unemployment rate of over 15%.The banks aren't lending no matter how much we give them, and alternative energy needs more than tax breaks. Are you going to do what you said President Obama, and invest in alternative energy where it is seen to be lucrative?

March 18, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  86. Tommy Ferrell

I'm from southwestern West Virginia, also known as the mutant pit of the United States by most. Although this is a complete untruth, Jack, this brings most economic officials to not care about this location at all. I have so much faith and respect for President Obama, but my question to him would be, "Do you care about the economy of the rural places like southwestern West Virginia at all?". I don't think anyone does other than us here, not even our new face of hope.

Tommy Ferrell
    Delbarton, WV

March 18, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  87. R. Sherrier

Hi Jack,

What will Obama do about the mortgage companies that preyed on home buyers in Riverside, CA and many other areas? I know he has put together plans for home owners that have Fanny Mae/Freddie Mac owned loans. What about those mortgage companies like HSBC/Beneficial? This company did not do official appraisals which caused home values to balloon. Homeowners simply had to state what they thought their home was worth, and HSBC processed their loan based on that amount. It would be great if Obama would enforce some type of mandate where HSBC and other companies would have to modify loans that were over valued and processed with these basic violations.

R. Sherrier

March 18, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  88. Richard Laughlin

We outsourced many well paying jobs in this area to India. We allowed banks to raise credit card interest to 30% , double the monthly payment required and shorten the month( so that a politician in Utah sponsoring the bill could get an interest free million dollar loan from then MBNA). We encouraged companies to move manufacturing out of the country. We allowed corporations to cook their financial s by listing good Will as a line item Asset. (What is Good Will). We lowered the tax rate on already greedy people to encourage them to try harder. Everyone was surprised by a recession? I could have predicted that. Why don't we reverse those above policies that were failures?

March 18, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  89. Bill Hoch

I'd tell him that I'm 54, umemployed, can't afford insurance, and I can't sell my house because of this economic mess. All I ask is a job. I'm old-school...I'll give you 40 for 40. Without jobs, nobody can get loans, buy cars or houses, and sometimes the necessities...so what good is it to money to banks for those of us that have no money?
    Bill
    Pa.

March 18, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  90. M.A.M. In Wisconsin

As a small retail business owner I need to ask the President (and the media for that matter) to somehow instill some confidence into the people who remain financially secure. If the fear continues to grip this nation around the neck then small businesses like my own will be dust before the summer tourist season hits. If one more person comes through my doors and says "Oh, how are you doing in this economy?" and then 5 minutes later they tell me "I really don't need anything today and with the economy I probably shouldn't buy this", I swear I'm gonna bonk them on the head! Help us Mr. President, we're shriveling up on the vine here....There's plenty of people who are still doing well....get them to spend some money!

March 18, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  91. Melanie in rural IA

I would ask him how he expects us to stimulate the economy on $13 a week? You have to have a job to get the $13 a week tax break. Americans need JOBS, good paying jobs. Stop the bail outs. Seriously, how many of us can work on roads & bridges? Create millions of government jobs, pay people for picking up trash along the road if we have to, have a person answer the phone at all government agencies, not a computer. You have to get America back to work.

March 18, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  92. Rick Bartel

Question to Pres. Obama.. If you had to do it all over again,, would you have giving the 780 billion dollars, to the Middle Class, taxpayers of the United States.. And if not,,,, why not.!!!

March 18, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  93. C Blaisdell

President Obama, Before this recession everyone in my immediate and extended family had a job. Now my son is layed off, my husband had to take a 10% pay cut and if the large company he works for goes down his pension after 35 years may only be 1000.00 a month. My niece and husband have had their house foreclosed on. My other niece lost her job and can't find a new one yet. My great niece showed up at her work one morning and found the doors closed. They went out of business. My nieces husband had his hours cut to 2 days a week. My son's fiance has had her hours cut for lack of business. President Obama, we need jobs now, not later. Where are they? C Blaisdell

March 18, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  94. Connie

OK, I want to know which one of these Democrates put the clause in that document. Gee, the shoe is on the other foot now isn't it? Now look who's lying and covering up. This president is going to have his hands full cleaning up his own house. Where is the accountability? These were the same people that blasted Bush and you know what? None of them are fit to tie George W. Bush's shoes. Who ever did this must have been paid really welll..America wants to know.. As far as
    AIG goes, there is no excuse. These people have been bleeding this company for years with their salaries and bonusus..Who is in charge of watching where the bail out money is going?? You would think, before these companies got this bail out money that there would be guide lines. Who is in charge of this.. Fire them.. Who is using their position for their own gain????

March 18, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  95. valerie craig

My property taxes have almost doubled in the last two years; I'm 64 and can't afford to stay in my house of 30 years. I would tell Pres. Obama that health, education and energy are worthy causes, but none of these things caused the economic crisis, nor will they cure it. The credit crisis did not happen because we don't have enough college graduates or people with health insurance. Please stay home in that mansion we are paying for and finally come up with a PLAN to deal with the banking crises. Then you can sell your other agendas.
    Valerie Craig, Norfolk, CT

March 18, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  96. Connie A.

I recently moved to a city in Ma. It wasn't long before my car was put on coke crates (in my driveway) and my wheels -complete set-were stolen. This town is a central clearing house for drugs. Heroin, but pot is O.K. too. I work at home and had to install an alarm. I can only leave early in the day, before the dealers wake up for another day of raising funds.
    President Obama, isn;t it time to legalize (regulate, and tax) drugs? With one signature, the government could nullify drug cartels, put 70 % of Taliban's funding off-limits...and I could get out a bit more.
    Also: Where was the umbrage that is going on to a hysterical degree during the trillion $ spent on Iraq? Oh, yeah, I remember, that only involved killing and maiming people.
    Connie

March 18, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  97. Dave from PA

Jack,
    The economic situation where I live hasn't really changed a whole lot yet. Thseems to be more people out of work though, mostly in manufacturing. I work in an industry that always has work.....sanitation.

My problem is, I just got done sending the IRS a check for over $1600 dollars. I guess all that money went to someone at AIG. I had to scrape that money together. it's just not right. A failing company? Last time I looked, I didn't get rewarded for failing, I got fired. Lynch Mob for AIG? I'm surprised the building is standing yet.

March 18, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  98. OSman

President Obama,
    Though I fully support your economic plan , I think that it might be necesary to slow down on the spending. It is worring too many Americans, frankly honest it worries me as well. I think that you should consider on using the hidden on the shadow $ 60,000,000,000.00
    this is the amount that you could pottentially be put into the economy or used to reduce the deficit. if you make a strong effort to legalize all those hard working undocumented immigrants.
    12M people * 5000 penalty! Think about it!

March 18, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  99. Dana Harris from Bay Area CA

Hi Jack,

Reading some of these comments I see some of these people don't have much brains otherwise they could answer their own questions that have been posted so far... others just haven't been paying attention or either they refuse to listen or are just transforming what ever they hear into whatever bias they already have. If I had the opportunity to see Obama, shame he's not coming to the Bay Area, I probably wouldn't ask him any questions because he's been doing a pretty good job at explaining himself already. Instead I would just shake his hand and say thanks for trying to help the American people, continue the innovation he displayed during his campaign now that he's in office and keep his calm and don't give in to the hype that he is expected to fix everything by the end of the week.

Dana – Bay Area

March 18, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  100. jackiewhamilton@sbcglobal.net

Everyone in America, should be asking at the very least for the resignation of all Senators and Reps. that serverd on the Fin. Comm. How could members in close session now know how a clause to allow these bonus to go through. They are all either lying or not smart enough to on the banking comm.

The Congressman are just as crooked as the AIG managers

March 18, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  101. Winston

What I would like to tell the president is that he needs to stop blaming Bush for huis problems. Bush had a deficit of 459 billion when leaving office and in 40 days Obama has increased that by 8 times to 4 trillion dollars, is this what he called spreading the wealth around? Our great grandchildren will not be able to repay this and he knows it. He is acting as though he is in fairy tale land, almost all of his cabinet is guilty of not paying their taxes and are spending money and going on trips abroad at our expense. To straighten things up one must first start in their own house and walk the walk not just talk the talk!! that goes for Polosie and congress also!! As for as the economy here we do not need him to fix something htat is not broken by increasing more taxes that will eventually lead to less jobs, he is creating a mary-go- roung that we will not be able to stop which will lead to the downfall of this country.

March 18, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  102. Albert in San Diego

Dear President Obama: You promised to help struggling homeowners with mortgage modification, but you have not put an entity into place to help homeowners deal with lenders. The airwaves are replete with charlatans and scam-artists saying they will do modifications for a price, and trying to do a modification by yourself is a complex process which the lenders use as an excuse not to act. WE NEED HELP! Can you please spend some of the bail-out money to fund an office which can represent homeowners in the modification process? Without help, the vast majority of deserving homeowners will end up on the street.

March 18, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  103. Carl from Citrus Heights, California

Jack, it would be great if legislation could be introduced to limit the amount of interest a bank could charge any loan amount that they provide for our common economy. 10 percent, as a cap, seems like a reasonable figure.

March 18, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  104. Stan in Boston

I don't feel that I need to tell this president anything about the economy. He seems to be in touch with the problems that the average person has. I think that we need to give him a chance. Loyal opposition is one thing, obstructionism another.

March 18, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  105. Jason

As a legal foreign alien (I'm English) – pretty much what this great country was built on – I have to comment on the bigger picture. I would ask the president that while my state (NV) has double digit unemployment, does he realize that the actual problem is far worse. Legal as well as illegal aliens are not counted in the stats. Houses to my left and right are now vacant. I'm not so sure that many AIG exec's are facing foreclosure like I am. He needs to stop power, gas, and water companies from shutting off services and also to stop the mortgage companies taking homes. I have no problem getting good with my debt but right now that is not an option. And living from my car will never make me good. Look at the people and not the corps...

March 18, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  106. Gloria - Seattle, WA

When will we EVER enact laws to stop this insane bleed out of our taxpayers? Before penny one was spent, we should have stopped all the "hedgefunds," "swaps," and the ability to become so large as a corporation that you put our nation in danger. It's like national terrorism via Wall Street, our financial institutions, and AIG. You can't fix a leaky fawcet by wrapping a rag around it, you need to take it apart and fix it right!

March 18, 2009 at 5:31 pm |
  107. Natalia, Albuquerque, NM

If you can, and as soon as possible, can you get the monies back from AIG? Let them default and declare bankruptcy, so that all the (AIG) Arrogant, Incompetent, Greedy executives can learn a little humility by standing in an unemployment line.

What are AIG execs going to do if you withold their "retention bonuses," quit? And this would cause what to happen? Besides, I would love to hear them in their next job interview, "Yes, I allowed my company to go broke and I helped bankrupt the world market, but you are still willing to at least match my previous million dollar salary, with millions more in incentive packages, right?"

March 18, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  108. Alan-Buxton, Maine

I would tell him that the economic situation would be much better if we got rid of the idiots in congress who let AIG execs get those obscene bonuses by dropping the language preventing it from happening. We need a good housecleaning.

March 18, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  109. Ike Nwoko

I live in Michigan, Nobody cares about us. 16,000 people show up for a job fair where 200 people only were needed and that chaos did not make news, but Florida had a job fair for few fire fighters and 1600 or so people showed up... but that made news. Our umployement color is so red that its blinding people from approaching Michigan,

March 18, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  110. dave

I would like to know what position you, pres. Obama are going for in the one world gov?

March 18, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  111. phil wessner

We all know the Cheney / Bush administration was a disaster. However, it is Obama's disaster now, he wanted the job. What ever happens from this point forward is his responsibility. I don' t want to hear anymore about Bush. His poor family is going to have to live with his failures for a long time.

March 18, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  112. Donald in CA

I would tell the President to stop taking the blame for Bush's mess. Republicans, especially those in the poor red states who think only Democrats get laid off now need this Democratic administrations to help them out. Mr. President, just stick to your plan.

March 18, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  113. emily sanford

I would ask the President why he is wasting his time on a non-serious television program when the country needs to have a serious discussion with him about serious problems. What is he avoiding? Why doesn't he go up to Congress and take some tough questions. He might gain some credibility and show some backbone, the two things which are sorrowfully missing today in our government leaders today.

March 18, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  114. Roslyn Roshell Perkins

Jack, I can't say much, because I live in GA and the voted for that ignorant, crooked Chambliss. The economic problems we have in Ga, we deserve. Racism here is more important to most people economic security. This is a place where ignorance is truly bliss. But I would like to say it is nice to have a President and VP that at least listen to the people, he isn't perfect and he won't have all the answer but I know that he is doing his best to get us out of this hole that the bush administration left .I know he is trying to do what is best for the country. It doesn't means that I always agree with his decisions but at least now I feel I have a voice. It's been a long time coming! I would like to say thanks to President Obama for taking on this crappy job. Ignore MSM, they paid for by the republican party.

March 18, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  115. AL

Jack,

I would ask the president why there has not been a large scale prosecution of all bank executives, wall street hawks who bought and sold the future of americans in the name of profit, but most of all, the self appointed media financial experts who tolled their bells by knowingly selling fake packaged financial products to Americans. Our society should be outraged.

Al in England

March 18, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  116. anne cotton, fairhaven, mass

i am a 63 year old disabled woman living soley on ss disability. Your good friend, our governor, is assisting middle class working people by reducing aid to the needy who cannot work. (i can back this up with specific examples.) what better method could you recommend to Governor Patrick?

each agency applies a not to exceed gross annual income to limit their assistance. these numbers are arbiratory because they back into them using their budget divided by projected clients. they are even more arbitrary because there is no adjustment for expenses.

if we are going to control aig, why are we not controlling an equally unethical situation that exists in bristol county no doubt as well as in all massachusetts counties?

luv ya

March 18, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  117. Curtis Wampler, Udall, KS

Mr President – the greater Wichita KS area was one of the last to recover after 9/11 of 2001. The primary industry of aircraft engineering and construction was hit hard when many orders were decreased or cancelled. A few months ago Wichita was considered the most stable real estate market in the country. We made it back through hard work and innovation.

Now, as in many areas of the country we are experiencing massive layoffs with the unemployment rate increasing by 31% from Dec 2008 to Jan 2009.

We don't believe in taking money we haven't earned and don't want any type of handout, what we want is as little government interference as possible in our lives.

My question – Wouldn't the recovery be more sustainable if conditions of states receiving federal money did not require expansion of the unemployment payment laws to include temporary and part time employees be covered thereby creating a federally unfunded mandate that state treasuries will have to fund in future years potentially causing increases in state and local taxes?

March 18, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  118. Sandy Borella

Jack, I'm seeing more and more small business' close their doors; roads in need of repair; and schools with 30+ modular trailors. All of this and the 2nd highest (South Carolina) unemployment rate in the country. Hopefully, Governor Mark Sanford's request to divert stimulus money will end his political career. The guy is not devoted or serving the millions of SC's residents.

March 18, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  119. Derick from Greenlawn, NY

I'm sick and tired of bailouts. President Obama needs to know that it's local small businesses that are going to get us through this crisis. Instead of sending billions of dollars to AIG and Citibank, the government should be making increased funds available to smaller local banks that were smart enough to stay away from the sub-prime mortgage mess. That way those banks can make loans available for businesses while the giant banks can find their own way out their mess.

March 18, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  120. Winston

I live in Louisiana, What I would like to tell the president is that he needs to stop blaming Bush for his problems. Bush had a deficit of 459 billion when leaving office which I agree wasn`t good, now in the first 40 days Obama has increased that by 8 times to over 4 trillion dollars. Is this what he called spreading the wealth around about? Our great grandchildren will not be able to repay this and he knows it. He is acting as though he is in fairy tale land, almost all of his cabinet is guilty of not paying their taxes and are spending money and going on lavish trips abroad at our expense. To straighten things up one must first start in their own house and walk the walk not just talk the talk!! that goes for Polosie and congress also !! As for as the economy here we do not need him to fix something that is not broken by increasing more taxes that will eventually lead to less jobs, he is creating a mary-go- round that we will not be able to stop which will lead to the downfall of this country.

March 18, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  121. steve o, barstow,ca

Mr.President, allow me to get this right, you've suggested veterans of this nation shall be required to pay their private insurance companies for health costs caused by service connected injuries. Who are they going to pay AIG, or a holding company of AIG?
    This is a two part question, I will not say what ails me, but I will ask why didn't I get legal power of attorney representation when I went to the Los Angeles regional Veteran Affairs for a hearing in 2007? Before hand I believe I had asked the California Department of Veteran Affairs to provide power of attorney representation, and when I did that I was in the office of the county of San Bernardino representative of Veteran Affairs?
    In other words I got shafted!
    Thank you, Sincerly stefan paul odziemek

March 18, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  122. George F. West

Jack, a sector of this economy that does not show up in any statistics, are the thousands of small business people that are basicly unemployed. I have a small family real estate business for 25 years in a small Maine community. I as well as many of people in my industry have no money coming in to support our families. Also I know of friends in the trades, carpentry, plumbing etc. that are in the same position with no income and prospects for the future are grim. I know this same story plays out in thousands of communities around the country. So I must conclude that the unemployment figures are grossly understated. Wonder if this could be discussed further. George.

March 18, 2009 at 5:38 pm |
  123. Catherine of Easley, S.C.

We have too much Government. Noone knows what anyone is doing!

March 18, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  124. Martina

Arizona's North country is underwater and drowning. Mariopa County gets all of the federal money and the North gets the crumbs or whatever they can squeeze or make them feel bad enough to do something up here for the people. Northern AZ are people also. They need help.

March 18, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  125. Jim/NC

President Obama, you will not get this economy back on track unless and until the people speak in future elections. We must get rid of Geithner, Summers, Pelosi, Reid, Shumer, Durbin, Rangel, Dodd, Frank, Boxer and Waters. Your ideas regarding the economy have never worked. I hope they do this time for the American people.

March 18, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  126. Sue Fort Myers Florida

I would tell the President to stop bailing out these greedy pigs and help whats left of the middle class. Jack President Obama was here in Ft Myers in February, but wasn't around long enough to get the full grasp of the depression this area is in. Our unemployment rate is now almost 12%, the foreclosure rate is staggering, every one in 10 or so houses is empty, food banks are overwhelmened, armed robberies and other crimes are one the rise, repossesed car sales by banks are in vacant lots, people are digging through garbage dumpsters behind school cafeterias trying to find something to feed their kids. We need help and we needed it yesterday.

March 18, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  127. Jay McElroy

And while they are at it, those self-rightous/sactimoneous, holier-than-thou politicians in Washington should have to pay back all the "campaign contributions" AIG has spent to buy them off.
    Jay
    Texas

March 18, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  128. Mandy

I would ask him if he is going to explain to us in every day terms, why we should support another bill to help a bunch of people who looks like a bunch of crooks? I would also tell him that my friends and me feel bad for him and hope he doesn't feel like he doesn't have support. We support and love him.
    Mandy,
    Houston, Texas

March 18, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  129. Curtis Wampler, Udall, KS

Why can't you be honest with us about when congress and the administration knew about the AIG bonuses?

What are journalists and commentators NOT talking about due to all the time being consumed by the AIG bonus "outrage"?

Aren't there more important issues for our congress to address than $165B in bonuses that people are legally entitled to?

March 18, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  130. Joan Self

Pres.O'Bama told us there would be transparancy and control over money given to banks,etc. I have really been a Hillary and the then Barack supporter. But–I'm beginning to feel maybe he is not going to hold up to his promises. I want to hear from President O'Bama more on this bonus issue!!!
    Joan fro Salina, Kanss

March 18, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  131. Dana Harris from Bay Area CA

Hi Jack,

I do have a question for Obama... Was it his idea to put so many restrictions on the money that's lent to banks that it actually caused them to rethink if they really need the money or could they actually think for themselves and come up with a way to get themselves out of the jam they are in, which in turn caused them to want to give the money back and stock mark deciding to rally at that news, or did someone in his cabinet come up with that idea?

Dana – Bay Area

March 18, 2009 at 5:51 pm |
  132. John, Fayetteville, NY

President Obama promised to shake up Washington, to introduce new standards, and yet all I've seen is more.....much more.....of the same old tax and spend that our Government has been doing for 30 years.

For 3 days we've been looking at AIG handing out $165 Million in bonuses, yet every single person on the committee that wrote the Bill could not remember who put the wording in there....well now...here we are and we learn now that Chris Dodd, a leading Democrat, was the master mind along with prodding from the Treasury Department....albeit Tim Geithner. Yet, no one will be held accountable, no one will lose their job because of this incompetency.....watch and see.

I would ask the President about Accountability......while main street is suffering still, I see the Government growing by over 10%, no salary caps for Congress, the Senate, Federal Workers......nothing. No one from Wall Street ever even prosecuted, no one has lost their jobs except the Americans who have lost their life savings.

Accountability........there hasn't been any, and it's what he ran on, among the other 180 topics of course.

He may want to watch the movie "Liar, Liar".

March 18, 2009 at 5:51 pm |
  133. Jason - Medina, Ohio

Mr. President, the economic situation in Ohio really isn't any worse. We have no jobs to lose in the first place. Keep up the good work.

March 18, 2009 at 5:52 pm |
  134. Lyn

Simple question: doesn't it frighten you to realize your own people are working against you? You probably thought Chris Dodd was a friend and Tim Geitner was someone you could trust. I'm a Democrat, but it's appalling to see how much Dodds was in bed with the banking industry and AIG. And Geitner hiding behind him is pretty courageous for a Cabinet official. Do you get the feeling the Republicans are still running things?

March 18, 2009 at 5:52 pm |
  135. Bruce

I'd tell him to stop the thievery by the Banksters. NO more bailouts, ever. Prosecute Summers ad Turbo Tim. Rip up NAFTA. And if he thinks he can restrict the second amendment he will have a civil war that will make Watergate look like a slumberfest!

March 18, 2009 at 5:53 pm |
  136. Liz

Mr. President, there are 305 million American citizens, give every man, woman and child 1 million dollars, regulate the crap out of it and let's call it a day on this economic crisis.

March 18, 2009 at 5:55 pm |
  137. Curtis Wampler, Udall, KS

Shouldn't it be illegal for senators on the Banking committee to take money from banks (and other financial companies like AIG)?

March 18, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  138. chris south bend Indiana

Dear Jack; Id tell the President that we need to end Free Trade, Free Trade is part of Reaganomics and it is not working for my town or my surrounding towns, I say we need to buy American and end Free Trade.

March 18, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  139. Dan

I don't care anymore Mr. President.

Dan
    Santa Clarita, CA

March 18, 2009 at 5:57 pm |
  140. Mike Syracuse, NY

Why has there been so much emphasis on saying he 'inherited' the situation, and no emphasis on looking into the key role people like Chris Dodd and Barney Frank played in the deregulation and forced lending to low income people, that caused this mess?

March 18, 2009 at 5:59 pm |