September 15th, 2008

How confident are you about the future of the US?

The United States is struggling on many fronts.

The United States is struggling on many fronts.

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Our country is struggling in a way I can't ever remember. Financial institutions are failing left and right. People are losing their life savings to a falling stock market, falling housing prices and rising food and energy costs. We are hemorrhaging jobs and are ten trillion dollars in debt. A major hurricane just slammed the coast of Texas leaving 4 million people without power and causing damage in the billions of dollars. We are slaves to imported oil, and global warming is threatening to destroy the planet.

The political race is tightening –indicating we are a long way from any sort of consensus on how to solve our problems. More gridlock and partisan rancor lie ahead at a time we can't afford either. And foreign trouble spots abound - like Iran…Afghanistan…Georgia… and North Korea.

Here’s my question to you: How confident are you about the future of our country?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Cindy from North Carolina writes:
Jack, I am scared to death. I am so scared that my children will not have a real prosperous future. I am saving for college but will my children be able to get a job in the U.S.? I have my kids studying French and Spanish because I don't know if my kids will be able to survive in the place were they were born and raised.

Beverly writes:
I will not be confident about the future of this country until after the election. I am so afraid that the racism that permeates this election will make people vote for McCain just to keep an African-American out. You news people seem to be afraid to say this out loud. I, as an African-American female, know the signs. As bad as this economy is, if a white man was running against McCain, it would be all over.

Kevin from Anchorage, Alaska writes:
If America is dumb enough to elect another "Conservative", hands-off, no-regulation Republican who abuses the power of the Presidency, we're screwed.

Mary from Maryland writes:
Americans are not as stupid as Washington seems to believe. Our economy is in grave danger putting the global economy in dire straits. We can thank the greedy, corrupt, got-to-have more corporate hogs and the politicians they lobby and buy.

Jane writes:
I have never been so frightened for myself, my family and my country. Bush just skates along and doesn't seem to understand what he has done or caused, by his non-compliance with any of our rules or regulations. He is absurdly ignorant and has no conscience whatsoever.

Ellison writes:
I'm very confident. Stop whining.

Filed under: US Economy
  1. Brian, in Cincinnati OH

No, Jack I'm not confident in anything unless Barack Obama gets in there and shake up Washington. Look at what the republicans have done. They've taken a strong economy and turned it into a depression. John George McBush will continue to run our economy into the ground.

Jack good to see you back, sorry to hear of your loss.

September 15, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  2. KarenB in Polk County, Florida

Its in the dumper and its going to take real leadership to get it out of the dump –
    raising taxes as Obama wants to do is not the way to do it.
    he talks a good "game", but don't think he's qualified.
    McCain is a better bet.

September 15, 2008 at 1:46 pm |
  3. John in Atlanta, GA

Jack, just wanted you to know, you're a helluva guy. We love you and we all feel your pain. Keep your head up. I'm sure your wife appreciated the great work you did for all Americans at the gas station. My condolences and love.

Now, our future is pretty clear. We can no longer afford to just take someone's word for it. Republicans out, Democrats in. Sen. Obama and Biden, please show up to work as President and Vice President with your sleeves rolled up. Your mission is to make this country operate, honorably, intelligently and rightly again. Enough crying about what's happened over the last 8 years. Enough discussion about the straight lying express. Just show up ready to work. The American people not earning over $250K annually will show up to work ready.

Thanks Jack. Even if this doesn't make to the air, just being able to express our concerns about you and your family makes me feel better.

September 15, 2008 at 1:46 pm |
  4. Carol from El Paso

First, Jack, my condolences on your terrible loss.

I am confident that our country and our economy will weather the storms ahead - we are a resilient nation, but it will get worse before it gets better. The mortage crisis has translated into a full blown bank crisis, the value of the dollar is hurting, oil prices are working their way through the price of consumer goods, we are losing jobs and the cost of the war is choking us. We will need strong leadership to get us past the effects of the Republican policies of the past 8 years. It really makes me sick to see how the Republicans have squandered the economic strides we made during the Clinton years. I pray Barack Obama is elected so we can rebuild our economy from the foundation – the American people.

September 15, 2008 at 1:46 pm |
  5. Jan Davis, Knoxville, TN

I will have a return to confidence if the Democrats win big in the upcoming election. If the Republicans win, I see no hope for the future economically or otherwise. McCain has no clue about solving any of our problems and we can't expect that ditzy Palin to know anything about them either. This is the most critical election in my lifetime and I just hope the country doesn't fall for the Republican lies and spin.

Obama/Biden '08

September 15, 2008 at 1:48 pm |
  6. Conor in Chicago

Not at all. As much as the media is trying to play it down we are expereinceing the start of a new world wide depression. Things are just going to get way worse over the course of the next few months and years. In the end we might be relativiely ok but it might be safe to say that the "American Empire" is going to become something for the history books. That's probably a good thing...

September 15, 2008 at 1:48 pm |
  7. Mike Cassidy, Cleveland, Ohio

Seriously Jack, I'm not real confident about this economy, especially with all of these bank failures. I'm just about to start cutting a hole in my mattress to start storing my hard earned cash.

September 15, 2008 at 1:49 pm |
  8. Michael, Toronto, Canada

Jack, it depends on whose economic future you ask....

If you ask low and middle income earners, Obama is best. If you ask high income earners, then McCain is preferable.

If you ask Big Oil Companies, their future is best aligned with McCain. If you ask those who buy gas, then Obama is best. A green economy is the only way to view the future.

If you ask those who want better health care, Obama is best. Twice McCain slammed the Canadian health care system.....yet we have one of the best public health care systems in the world!

If you ask those seeking a better education, then Obama is best.

If you ask those who want to continue the war in Iraq until the war is won (100 years) and can afford to spend $8B per month in Iraq, then McCain is best for the economy.

If you ask anyone who actually believes that the US (and world) economy is fundamentally strong (aka McCain).....then they would prefer to stick their head in the sand and let the economy spiral out of control.

September 15, 2008 at 1:51 pm |
  9. Scott - Wichita, Kansas

There's always been ups and downs. It will recover. It always does.

September 15, 2008 at 1:57 pm |
  10. Paulette Dallas PA

With the right Presidential leadership,I believe America can weather this crisis. It is not going to happen tomorrow but with all the great minds we have and all of the ingredients for success and adaptation,I am certain America will take it's place in our new global world.

September 15, 2008 at 1:59 pm |
  11. Rex in Portland, Ore.

Welcome back, Jack.

No, I am not confident. The 8 year history of horrific mismanagement is creating a chain effect, and there are many more bankruptcies and bail-outs to go before the Democrats can set things straight again. I wish us God-speed, and pray that the current administration is not re-elected.

September 15, 2008 at 2:00 pm |
  12. Esther Cuyahoga Falls OhiO

not too certain if mccain gets in office i feel that we will see the likes of the great depression again. if Obama gets into office I will feel a sense of hope again for us.

September 15, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  13. Mike, Syracuse NY

It depends on who wins in November. If it's Obama we are in lots of terrific speeches, and more of the same Do-Nothing policies of the Democratic Congress. If it's McCain we have a fighting chance.

September 15, 2008 at 2:06 pm |
  14. mike

with mccain leading on the polls just because of sarah palin, i dont have any confident with the future of our country.i thought people learned the lesson by offering george bush a second term.

September 15, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  15. Rochelle, Snellville, GA

I'll let you know after Nov 4th Jack!

My family and I may move to Canada if McCain wins!

September 15, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  16. Tina (Fort Worth)

No. I lost my confidence when Bush took office in 2000. Our country is quickly going into the cess pool. Everything is in a shambles. Our good standing is gone. Our money is not worth the paper it is printed on. I quit crying long ago cause I vote and the others who vote Republican scratched my vote out.

September 15, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  17. JD in NC

Jack, I live in eastern North Carolina. Sunday morning I discovered half the gas stations in town are out of gas, and the others have hiked their prices. On the news all I hear about is political personalities, not issues that effect me. So yeah, I'm worried. I'm worried that a "tough-talk" politician is going to win using the same tactics as Bush: wasting our time on "cultural issues" like gay marriage or religion that do nothing to help me afford gas to get to work, or pay my bills. I'm not rich enough to play these games.

September 15, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  18. Deb, Allentown, PA

If McCain and Palin are elected, my optimism for the future of this country will pretty much be kaput. I'm thinking a move to Norway or Costa Rica may be imminent if that occurs. Neither of those countries has a draft or is participating in illicit wars based on lies, right Jack?

September 15, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  19. JD in NH

I am thankful during every minute of every day that my husband is a Canadian and we have the option of leaving. If it ends up McCain is in, I am out. The country cannot endure 4 more years of Bush or worse than Bush.

September 15, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  20. Tom in New Hope, MN

Thanks to the total mess this country is in "We the people” have to be ready for a very long haul. This is not an us against them election as it is portrayed by the candidates. This is all about American's pulling together to get this country back on track. The Republican and the Democrates much to their dismay will have to work together. There will be ample time for political games the political parties yearn to play once this country has been repaired. Vote wisely America!

September 15, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  21. scott, lithonia, georgia

There is a substantial difference between confidence and loyalty. I am learning Chinese.

September 15, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  22. Andre R. Newcomb

No. America's strength is from stolen land (the Indians) 'owned' by people who exploited/exploits the flood of immigration. And all of this 'wealth' occurred as a result of flooding global markets with American products that sent many regions of the world into a tail-spin: Russia, Germany, Japan, China, France, South America. Because of extreme times caused by recessions in their own countries brought on by American entrepreneurism, their governments and peoples had to resort to extreme measures to control their own domestic chaos. Maybe those days have been decided. BUT the huge advantage that America held because of ALL those circumstances evaporates in a world at peace. When there is no market for a carpet-bagger, the United States can no longer use an M-16 to balance the sheets. A world at peace means that the United States (and their citizens therein) must acclimate to a level surface. Landlords and fat-cats don't believe in equality . . . they'll buy another traitor . . . baby-boys and gorgeous gals are born everyday . . . it's just a cost of doing business. I prefer to try my best to be honest in a very dishonest world. Andre R. Newcomb Sierra Vista, Arizona

September 15, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  23. douglas gengler

if obama wins i feel we have a good chance of a quick recovery. mcaiin said this morning that the economy was fundamentaly sound. thats not the way i have seen it for the last 3-4 years.

doug in arkansas

September 15, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  24. Ohons Kevin

I hope you really post this my message on your file. I am writing from Europe. It is very interesting to see how America people will vote this forthcoming presidential election. The way the American economic is going with this present republican administration, i am afraid we don't have flow of American immigrate to Europe or even Africa very soon.I hope not.

September 15, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  25. Shirley -AK OHIO

If McCain wins this election, I have no confidence in this Country and I will most certainly brace myself for the worse to come.

September 15, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  26. Greg, Hamilton Ontario

Being Canadian I accept the fact that anything bad that happens to the the US is going to influence me and my country. If you guys elect McCain and his Pitbull in lipstick we are in for some very hard times. But we have been there before and no matter how dumb the American voter turns out to be we as freinds and neighbours will get through it.

September 15, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  27. James in NYC

Jack,
    I am confident that as long as we continue to elect out of touch millionaires into office, the middle class and those below it will never be represented correctly. America likes to elect the wealthiest 5% to represent the poorer 95%. They haven't realized that the rich like to take care of the rich while the poor are left to take care of themselves.

September 15, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  28. joe m

welcome back jack.

these are politicians we are talking about. it is about as bad as letting loose a junkie in a pharmacy. am i confident, no, and if i have to guess neither are many other people. give me someone with common sense or someone who has a plan to put shock collars on these politicians so they get a good jolt everytime they start doing something stupid and then my confidence will go up. right now, i'm doing what i have to do to take care of myself and my needs for the future. anyone who is relying on the government to take care of them, pls. send me their phone number, i've got a bridge that i'm trying to sell.

September 15, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  29. Mickie in Philadelphia, PA

You mean the one that China owns? Not very - but it's definite with the republicans in power, we will have no country at all.

September 15, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  30. Amy Noir

We are at bottom among Developed countries in Science and Math. We lost our focus from Leader of Science and Technology and champion of Civil justice and growing urgency of Civil rights to polarized country.
    So much dislike among Red and Blue which as we cannot look beyond, and look at facts.
    We Spend more then we have it, greed, and cannot Balance between Needs and Wants. Wake Up America.

September 15, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  31. Chris

I sincerely do hope that our country can do better for itself. We have done it before. Remember your history, folks, the Great Depression occurred under a Republican's watch and we didn't see any real turn in the tide until the New Deal was formulated under a new Democratic president. Remember the bad economic conditions during Jimmy Carter's administration and that of George H.W. Bush. In each instance, America sought out new leadership in a different party, offering fresh, new ideas to help America prosper. We can't take a chance on continuing the same old failed policies. America, remember this in November that the issues we face this year far outweigh the bickering over race, age and gender.

Hendersonville, NC

September 15, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  32. Ryan -Galesburg, IL

I am confident that the Republicans have sold-out everything out parents and grandparents had fought for: Freedom, security, and global leadership. If we allow graft and corruption to strangle our economy and future, I honestly don't see us surviving intact. On the other hand, if we as a country harness the ingenuity and prowess that is our legacy, our future generations will thank and admire us.

September 15, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  33. Betty in Texas

Not confident at all if McNasty and the Barracuda are elected.

September 15, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  34. Tom, Avon, Maine, The Heart of Democracy

We're not dead yet. If enough Democrats are elected to allow Obama the congressional numbers to turn this ship around, we still have a chance of remaining a first world nation.

September 15, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  35. Disgusted

Jack, as I hear the McCain/Palin campaign respond to the latest financial crisis, I'm reminded of the ridicule heaped on Baghdad Bob as he denied the existence of the US tanks when they rolled over him. Where is that acute observation from fellow citizens when we need it most?

September 15, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  36. Sheryl in Virginia

I'm unemployed and barely holding on. Many are in a far worse place than I.

The only glimmer of hope and confidence I have at the moment is that Barack Obama will be elected in November and we can begin to change our country for the better.

We need change now. I likely will not survive 4 more years of what we have had the last 8.

September 15, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  37. sarah, indiana

very confident because unlike liberals i love our country and believe that it is always a great place. we have our troubles but those problems do not define us. what defines our people is how we deal with trouble. we the people rise to the challenges we face and overcome the hardships. this is what makes our country a wonderful place and makes me very confident for our future.

September 15, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  38. ismael

graduating from college 50 years ago is not the same as graduating
    now.

Ismael

September 15, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  39. Cassie, NC

Jack,

If McCain gets in then I am worried. Obama I feel a little bit better simply because he is no Bush like McCain is.

September 15, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  40. Candy West Virginia

If mccain wins, after I cry I will consider moving to England or Australia or Ireland or anywhere but here. 22 countries were polled on who the better choice for president and they all picked Obama so it will be one of those 22 countries. if Obama wins, after I go hoarse from shouting for joy, I will thank God for giving this country a second chance.

September 15, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  41. Jonathan, Hartford, CT

Not very confident. It is odd that the popular culture does not use the terms "I disagree" or "I dislike." It seems easier for too many people to use the term, "I hate" in America. This statement is a predicter of the nation's future. When Americans "hate" other Americans or groiups of other Americans, the future doesn't look that great. Americans better wake up and have more appreciation of the motto, "United we stand. Divided we fall."

September 15, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  42. David,San Bernardino,CA.

With the laissez-faire attitude of the bush administration,not very. The bushies had no oversight of the banks,Wall Street and other financial institutions and the ran roughshod over everyone. The sub-prime loans,hedge funds,takeovers and gutting of healthy companies for short-term profit by greedy investors has put the United States at the brink of bankruptcy. The really sad part is that all of these people who took hundreds of billions of dollars in profit now want the government (taxpayers) to bail them out. Didn't we all see this in the first Bush administration with the bail-out of the savings and loan scandal.

September 15, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  43. Paul

Jack,
    That is a hard one. It looks as though no matter who gets in it will be very hard to fix things. It took eight years to get us in this mess and we can only guess how long it will take either candidate and or how many terms of Presidents to get us out of this mess. We need to rethink everything. Pickens has a great idea natural gas for autos and trucks. It would start jobs to convert vechiles to natural gas and also filling stations that is only one thing. We need to keep all National Gaurd at home they are needed for domestic reasons like IKE and Floods and to suplement the Military at home bases while the regular milatary and reserves are at war or needed someplace overseas. With situations like IKE the mortgage mess will get worse. One thing I am confident about is when americans want to get something done americans can do anything that is needed to get things done look at history in WW-2 auto factories retooled and made weapons now they can do it again by making vechiles that use natural gas and electric. They just need to look away from making an easy buck. Jack we will get out of this it just is a matter of time.
    Paul ,Round Rock, Texas

September 15, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  44. Tom in Desoto, Tx

I will feel better about the future of the country if Obama wins. Republicans are interested only in the profits of corperations as they enact legislation to have companies move their operations outside the U.S. As long as it isn't the Republican representatives families who lose their $40-$60K a year jobs and have to get a MacJob they don't care.

September 15, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  45. Frank from Peterborough

Now there is absolute proof that the U.S. is in one of the deepest holes any nation has ever had to face.

With John McCain throwing a shovel into that hole and Obama throwing a ladder into that hole Americans have a very serious decision to make and a very short period of time to make it.

The question is just how many Americans will choose the shovel and try to dig themselves out of the hole they are in or how many Americans will reach for the ladder and try to climb out of this hole?

Of course if enough people choose the shovel maybe they can dig themselves deep enough to get to China because that's where all the money is right now.

But to answer your question Jack unless the polls are way out of whack I don't think a full blown recession is out of the question.

September 15, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  46. Jeanne Slinker

I will be more confident about the future if Obama is elected. However, if McCain gets into office I may have to consider moving to Canada.

McCain has the very same people backing him that Bush did, he has a long history of creating lobbyists out of his aides and uses many of the most connected lobbyists in his campaign – even though he claims he will clean up Washington when it comes to lobbyists. He has voted with Bush nearly 100% of the time during the past couple years. This election seems to be a game to him, not a real life struggle that it is for most Americans.

I am afraid for my country as never before. McCain / Palin have lied and misrepresented their past performance so much that most low-information voters don't even know the truth anymore. It takes more time than most people have to do the research to find the facts on your own.

The media has spent more time on nonsense like lipstick and cufflinks (just today on MSNBC) than on the serious issues we have to face. The media even distorts the facts as Wolf Blitzer has done when it comes to who will provide the most tax breaks to the average citizen.

I am terrified for my country when I cannot even trust the media to be honest and fair. How can we elect the right person when we cannot even get factual information from our media outlets?

September 15, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  47. Marielle Thomas (Atlanta, GA)

I'm about as confident about the future of our economy as I would be with a 5 year old running the country. Which, Bush seems to have the mental capacity of a 5 year old, so what does that say? Welcome back Jack!

September 15, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  48. Jes (State College, PA)

I was much more confident after they turned on the proton accelerator.

September 15, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  49. hubielee68 Mississippi

Jack it will depend who becomes president.
    As of now 0000000000000000000
    If Obama wins I'll have much confident.

September 15, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  50. anna

If America elects McCain the "huckster" and the"charlatan" Palin then the US might never regain its standing not only in the world but in the US.

If America elects Obama/Biden then there is light at the end of the tunnel.

anna

September 15, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  51. Dema

Ask me again November 5th. If we get another four years of Republican trickle down (read piss on the public) policies, the whole country will go down the tubes.

September 15, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  52. Ed Reed

I admit I'm gloomy about our short-term future. Jobs are disappearing, our military is near exhaustion, our country is going bankrupt and the brightest political star on the scene speaks in tongues, prays for pipelines and thinks Iraq is a Holy War. If you need me. I'll be in my secure, undisclosed location.

Ed Reed
    Port Aransas, TX

September 15, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  53. Darla (Edmonton, Canada)

Well ... half of my retirement plan is in the US and the other half here in Canada. After listening to the stock market reports today ... it looks like I need to get a second job. Hopefully, I'll be able to earn enough from it to replace what I'm sure to lose because of the US banking failures. Of course, what I do earn will not earn much interest or have much growth ... because I'll be keeping it in an old coffee tin under my floorboards!

September 15, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  54. kim, Richmond, Canada

I would say that as a country that goes as the USA, I hope to God Obama is elected. If McCain gets in, his policies are very similar to Bush. But the fear is he likes war a bit to much and will iether stay in Iraq or try out Iran or Russia. The the citizens of the US will be speaking Chinese for sure. As there are no funds to pay for the wars that exist now, how in heavens name would another war be paid for. I pity the young children, they will inherit a bill that may not be able to be paid.

September 15, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  55. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

You can only have confidence when you're in control of your destination. Right now, I don't know whose running our country to determine who and what I should be confident about.

September 15, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  56. Gary of El Centro, Ca

I think we are standing on the "brink" Jack, and what we do in November will either send us right over the edge (if McCain is elected), or turn us in a new direction (if Obama is elected). This election is that critical.

September 15, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  57. Chuck B Coastal NC

Without the Democrats getting into the white house, we as americans are in big trouble.

September 15, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  58. Anthony Smith

Jack;

God Bless! Probably as you feel, not too good. I see dark days coming for our country. That is why I hug my kids tighter and more often everyday. I think our system has failed and the people have become empathetic and complacent. Just try to live everyday like it could be the last, with George Bush, he makes it alittle more likely!

Wildwood Crest, NJ

September 15, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  59. Hank, NJ

Oh Jack... it doesn't look good. Granted Obama really wants to do right by the country, but it just seems special interests have their hands all over government without loosening their grip for the peoples' sake.

September 15, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  60. Keith - Cleveland, OH

I'm very concerned, Jack.
    Since we have elected nothing but lawyers in congress, we have nothing to show for the many years of incompetence except the thousands of 'band aids' on every near-crisis..... We need to replace these nearsighted, self-serving, attorneys with energetic people that are versed in disciplines other than debating and making arguments.

It's time for us to take back our congress this November.

September 15, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  61. pete in hamilton

if the current party remains in the white house i feel very pessimistic about america's chances for stability. mccains tax cuts would most likely involve borrowing more money to finance this venture, money the government does not have. obama has chosen the responsible but far less popular route of tax increases, unfortunately when people are struggling tax cuts seem to be the vote getter.

September 15, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  62. Nancy From Florida

If you continue to do things the same way, you get the same results. McCain wants to continue to do things the same way and we all have seen those results and they are not good even is McCain keeps telling us that the economy is fundamentally strong. Things have to be better under Obama. While times are going to be tough for a while, Obama will not continue to bankrupt our children's legacy and will work to get this country's economy headed in the right direction once again.

September 15, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  63. Joe St Louis, MO

Jack,

If Mccain wins this election I will have lost all confidence in the American people furthermore I will enroll in Chinese language classes so I can communicate with my mortgage holder.

If Obama wins I will have the upmost confidence in our leader and our people.

September 15, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  64. RBA New York

I'm not confident at all. We may very well be a resilient nation but many of us are hurting. We can spend $12B a month for a war imposed on us by GWB but cannot spend $60B a year on health insurance. We get stimilus checks and turn around and give it back to the oil companies. If we don't wake up and correct our mistakes we're doomed to repeat past mistakes. You have to work on a problem to solve it. Now, we're just making more problems. John McCain is not the answer. Remember, he voted with Bush over 90% of the time. That's not the change we need. Americans buy into fear. Those in control like to keep them that way so they’re easier to manipulate. Wake up America!

September 15, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  65. Differ in Maryland

Jack- I am confident that we are in deep crisis economically and government needs to be shakin up and overhauled. Its time for partisan politics to end and for a renewal in the American Spirit to meet this crisis. Barack Obama has the right message and youthful exhuberance that this country needs. I have no confidence in a McCain Presidency because he is an elitist, despite his fine War record he is still tied to Big Oil. What I can imagine being worse is a Country run by a former Journalist from Wasilla Alaska. That should scare the hell out of everyone paying attention.

September 15, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  66. Ed from Twin Bridges Montana

On our current path America will be nothing but a footnote in the history of the world. Our unbridled need for oil has shaped our foreign policy into one of global domination or bust, and since we don't have the economic or military leverage to remake the world in our image, the result is bust. Drill, baby, drill will be the death rattle of America.

September 15, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  67. Mike in St. Pete Beach, Florida

Things will get better when Barrack takes office. He will bring credibility back to this country and with credibility comes confidence and people will once again invest in the U.S. It took a Democrat to get us out of the depression, it took a Democrat to win World War II and it will take a Democrat to fix what this administration has destroyed. FDR said there is nothing to fear but fear itself. Bush is saying your next door neighbor is a terrorist...and he is after your job.

September 15, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  68. John, Winston Salem, NC

I can't be confident about the country's future with McCain/Palin doing good on the polls. Can you believe it? McCain thinks the economy is not much to be worry about, and he keep playing the same tactics of fear when he says that he's the only one able to keep us "safe from our enemies". Palin doesn't do anything else but to portrait herself as a "maverick" and attacks Obama's experience. Ironic, right? She hasn't come up with anything constructive.

September 15, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  69. Lynn

Jack,
    I too, am so sorry for your loss.
    We sure missed you...you are one of the few cable people that actually know that a brain can be used for thinking.

As to your question:
    Greenspan said it best....the U.S. can't afford McCain.....and yet half of your country still has blinders on.

It's like seeing the fall of the Roman Empire right before your eyes.

Hopefully, people will snap out of it before it is too late.

September 15, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  70. Dee, Denver

Glad to have you back, Jack.

So confident that I am seriously considering leaving. Sorry folks, I'm retired, no job will be opening up. It is not a matter of who is president. It is the American people that thoroughly disgust me – voting for someone because they would like to have a beer with him, or voting for whoever their millionaire preachers or millionaire corporate bosses or some millionaire hothead on the radio tells them to vote for. Too many Americans are too lazy to think and consider what is in THEIR best interest. If people were as flippant with their votes in 1860 or 1936, do you think this democracy would even still exist? Last thinking person out, please turn out the lights because those left won't be able to pay the electric bill.

September 15, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  71. Nancy From Florida

I will not be confident at all if McCain is elected. We cannot continue to make the same mistakes over and over. We cannot turn back the clock on women's rights. We cannot afford to continue to raise the national debt. We cannot afford to continue to stress our military to the point of breaking. It looks pretty grim is McCain is elected.

If Obama is elected, I do feel confident of the United States regaining the respect we once had on the world stage. I feel hopeful that our current economic crisis will turn around. I have a hope for an end to the political diviseness fostered by the current administration. And I forsee a government that will serve all the people, not just a few.

September 15, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  72. brian in ont.

Jack,I'm scared because if John McCain wins the White House the Canadian border will be infested with refugees from the UNITED STATES. In order to stop that from happening all AMERICANS please vote for OBAMA because we don't have any space for more REFUGEES.

September 15, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  73. Kevin in Boston

Not very. Every day things get worse. Eventually the bottom will fall out or the sky will fall. Then we can pick up what is left and start over. One thing is for sure.... The rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer and we'll all pay a tax!

September 15, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  74. Becky in Toronto, Canada

I am a 35 year old married stay at home mom of 2 toddlers that lives in Canada and we watch CNN from 4pm until 11pm every night. I’m not an American, I don’t get to vote, why am I doing this? Because we are pulling for you America, the world is watching and all of us except a few bad guys want too see a brighter future for the US. Not one person in Canada fears a medical problem whether it be an ear infection or cancer because of what it costs or worries if it is or isn’t covered by insurance. If I had to be the mom I am in the US and have these worries I’d be scared everyday and that thought sickens me that a country as wonderful as the US puts parents through this. That one issue alone would make me vote for Obama. Oh and by the way we laughed in shock when McCain said Bureaucrats would come between you and your doctor under a Universal Health Plan at his convention. That is a lie.

September 15, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  75. dennis hunter

sorry about your wife and your family are in my prayers but i am glad that you are back so i can vent. our country is failing and corrupt government along with big business will make us slaves to a new master. remember that all great countries fail from the enemies that are with-in not from the outside. the people of this country are sleeping at the wheel and the wall is coming.

September 15, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  76. Bill, Quarryville PA

Jack I think we need a president who has the capability to bring the American people together. John F. Kennedy and Franklin Roosevelt had that ability and I think Obama also has that ability. The people of this country has been divided and it is the fault of the Bush administration. He had us all together right after 911 but instead chose to invade Iraq on lies and faulty intelligence. We became a nation divided because of it. I think McCain's policies are too much in line with president Bush for us to become united behind his leadership. Like the saying goes united we stand divided we fall.

September 15, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  77. Maggie Muggins From Selwyn

Well Jack you have one political ticket telling the public all is well in mudville while the opposing ticket is telling people the country is in need of a change in direction and offering hope for the future.

I guess if Americans choose hope and change in November over the status quo in lipstick there could be a light at the end of the tunnel.

On the other hand if Americans choose the status quo with lipstick over any offer to change then I guess the old adage, of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is a sign of insanity, will apply and I think you can bend over and kiss your fanny goodbye.

September 15, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  78. Ron Dunedin FL

It survived George Bush, just barely. Why not go for for broke and vote Palin. The last 8 years wasn't enough of a challenge.

September 15, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  79. just a voter in Kansas

Dear Jack, Glad you are back. Hang in there. You have an important role to play.

My confidence depends almost entirely on who wins this election. If McCain/Palin do, my confidence in the future of the US and the world, for that matter, is about as high as my chances of winning the lottery.

But If Obama/Biden win, I can muster up some confidence and hope.

September 15, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  80. Brian, Buffalo, NY

If Obama becomes President, deservedly, then I am confident that America will have the capability and incentive to pull out of economic recession, make peace around the world and allow all Americans to hope for a brighter future. If McCain frightens the voters into making him President, then I am confident that there will be little change to the hopelessness felt by so many, at home and abroad, with increased mistrust from the international community and more empty bellies in the greatest nation on earth.

September 15, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  81. Tom from Virginia

Jack – If Obama and Biden win, I am confident we can get though the crisis. If McCain and his unqualified beauty queen win – o confidence.

September 15, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  82. Kyle Irvine, CA

Jack,
    I am confident we will bounce back from this struggling economy. This country survived the great depression, and other economic problems since then. I admit we need "Change" in Washington but I don't think Barrack Obama is the answer.

September 15, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  83. Swiss Obama Fan

America has no future with McCain! Americans are frustrated about the dow jones now – wait until McCain is elected!
    Your only hope is Obama.
    Susanna, Halifax

September 15, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  84. Tim

Jack,
    I have been through several wars and other "conflicts" and none of them scares me like the current internal threats to our future as a stable and viable economic and strategic power.

September 15, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  85. Emma, San Jose, CA

You were really missed and have our best with your loss.

My sense of the future of this country will be grim if McCain is elected.
    We will experience so much more Republican garbage and possibly more wars and we will go deeper into debt. I am alarmed on behalf of my sons.

September 15, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  86. Brian

Jack,

It all depends on this November. If we can turn the page on the last twenty years of political infighting, I believe we can turn the page on the last ten years of economic turmoil. But the same economic policies from the same Washington insiders will only bring us more of the same economic disasters. We need a new face on America and I think you and I know the only person who can offer it.

p.s. it's nice to have you back. You are at the core of my daily news consumption.

Brian
    Moscow, Idaho

September 15, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  87. Patrick, Tampa Bay, Florida

I honestly feel we are on a dangerous road if McCain and Palin are elected– and that our economy, relationships with other nations, our personal freedoms and privacy, and the lives of our kids are in jeopardy. Obama and Biden offer a more hopeful future for me– as one of the millions of Americans with no health insurance, who does not think McCain's "plan" will do me any good. I'm sure he's doing just fine with his 7 homes and health care paid for by Uncle Sam though. So, why should he care about me instead of his wealthy lobbyists and big corporations?

September 15, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  88. Martin, GA

I believe that the economy is weaker than we think and I truly believe that we should not vote for a republican in particular McCain who will focus on foreign policies which will be a costly obsession we cannot afford. We need a total change someone who focuses on our domestic issues and not on foreign polices. Someone who tries to keep money in the US and get the economy going, gets us away for oil.
    I guess Obama would be better

September 15, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  89. brian in ont.

I wish that America stop sending aid to foreign countries.Please save it because if John McCain wins the White House they would need every bit of food to feed the millions that will be left without homes,jobs and healthcare.

September 15, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  90. Richard, Syracuse, NY

I am truly worried about the US. This Administration did everything in its power to put friends in key positions and insured that the Rich would get Richer and those of us who have to work for a living would have to work harder and longer to the Rich can relax. I am afraid if McCain and Palin get into the White House we will be at war with Iran and Russia within 2 years. I am so glad I have a Grandfather in Scotland that I can pack up and move in with if necessary. As a Disabled Vet I am so tired of the American Taliban Movement. The Religious Right forcing their beliefs upon everyone else. I am afraid that our founding Fathers are turning over in their graves so they would not have to see this injustice.

September 15, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  91. Stacy from Loudoun County VA

Jack, I am afraid I am not very confident at all. Inflation has been going up, wages going down, big dollar businesses going bust, two wars draining the economy, unemployment is on the rise, dollar is losing value, potential for all out war in the Middle East and other places, debt is rising, more jobs going overseas, no foreseeable end to dependence on foreign oil, rising fuel prices, a do-nothing congress, a lame duck president…

I could go on, but if I do, I will need to go to a therapist. Oh wait, will my meager healthcare cover that?

September 15, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  92. William Tarver

Jack,

Its not the citation of the Bush playbook... its the citation of the Herbert Hoover playbook... e.g. 'the economy is basically sound.' Or better, the Yogi Berra book... 'Its deja vu, all over again.'

Best,

Bill in San Antonio

September 15, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  93. Donna, Wisconsin

Unfortunately, this path the US is on is so scary. I can't figure how anyone who has lost their job this year, or their home, or their healthcare or makes minimum wage and works 3 jobs would vote for McCain just because he is a conservative! How has being a conservative helped you these last seven years? And how has taking our SURPLUS and turned into a horrible debt (to China none the less) a good thing? And how does a man with a trouphy wife and a trouphy VP with no education (but can shoot) going to help you?

September 15, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  94. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Jack: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc. has told one of its subsidiaries to stop insuring bank deposits above the amount guaranteed by the federal government, dealing a fresh blow to the financial-services industry as it tries to assuage anxious customers.

And if Warren Buffett does trust Banks anymore that the FDIC, you tell me how confident I am about the future of this country.

September 15, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  95. Richard - Knoxville

Jack – First and Formost - My deepest condolences – From personal experience I know losing a spouse is well – imposible to discribe.

How confident am I about the future of our country? - Not Very -

When over 50% of the people in the USA are jumping on board the Republican – John McCain Smear Express rather than look at the issues and where the country is headed -– Just thinking about it gives me this real sick feeling in the pit of my stomach -

Obama claims the American people are not that stupid - Unfortuanately they just might be -

September 15, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  96. Terry from North Carolina

Jack
    You and I are the same age, I am not very confident at all. Look at how fragile we are after hurricane Ike, gas prices went through the roof again and I am sure people will have to make tough choices again on whether to fill the tank if they can find a station with gas or buy hamburger helper without the chop meat. Lets watch the unemployment lines they will no doubt get longer in New York with our financial institutions filing for chapter 11. Do you honestly think Obama or McCain can repair this damage ?

September 15, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  97. Spencer, Newport News, VA

I'm not too sure. We have a crumbling infrastructure, schools losing accredidation, ebad economy, bad healthcare, etc. People think it can't get any worse, but with Sen. McCain in office, it definitely will.

September 15, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  98. BJ Smith

Of the two candidates Obama gives me far more confidence than Mc Cain. He has detailed so many plans for the future & is forward thinking, super intelligent, honorable, has a calmness & patience with integrity. Mc Cain is still thinking like the sixties, hasn't been so honorable & is hot headed with a trigger finger..

Tom Friedman said electing the right man would be the difference between saving our country or turning it into a bannana republic .

BJ in Seminole, FL

September 15, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  99. Christy in Waterbury CT

It depends on the election. As a middle class mother of one who needs to work at least two jobs to make ends meet, with only $3,000 in the bank for retirement (I'm almost 40), my guess is that the system is broken and it needs fixing-immediately. I am very fearful of a potential leader that believes that the economy is "fundamentally sound". A true leader sees the facts of the matter, and doesn't view such issues through the eyes of his own bank statements.

September 15, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  100. Marty

Our nation's economy is coming apart at the seams. The President and the politicians are just trying to say it's okay so people don't panic. We have to do something and quick.

The choice we make in November is critical. If we elect another Republican president, I fear our country will quickly go down the tubes. Not because of the McCain himself, but because of the party's fiscal philosophy which has failed our nation horribly.

If we take a chance on Obama, atleast we stand half a chance, but it still won't be easy to recover. If he uses Bill Clinton's financial philosophy, we at least stand a chance.

That is the only optimism I have right now.

September 15, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  101. Marc

Not very Jack

The world economy is in a new place. The GOP are stuck in the 80's Reagonomics way of thinking and they don't get it. The USA has the highest debt in it's history with the most foreign takover of assets and properties that has ever been heard of. There are more Americans in debt, the dollar is at an all time low, property value has decreased, there are a record amount of citizens without health care benefits. The government are being forced to save many crucial financial companies and were still spending 15 billion a month in war funding sticking our nose where it doesn't belong. Hard to be confident knowing that John McCain has slipped past Barack Obama in the polls.

September 15, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  102. John, Fort Collins, CO

When I was growing up, my father used to say the only thing wrong with my generation was that we didn't live through the Great Depression. As it turns out, we all may be about ready to learn whatever those lessons were. However, I already understand the main lesson. Although there were many hardships, my parents and the country got through the depression and the war, and we too will rise to the occasion to create a bright future. And, electing Barack Obama as president would certainly speed up the recovery.

September 15, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  103. James from Virginia

This country has no future. It is already owned by other countries. Heck the president has no control of the federal reserve which is not federal and not a reserve. And if McShame wins I will be moving to another country because McLame will turn this country into a third world country just like Palin did for Alaska!

September 15, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  104. Marie Canada

If the younger generation get out and vote for their futures I think America has a chance. On the other hand if the old ideas and agents of intolerance out number the latter then there is always the option of immigrating to a more modern society.

September 15, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  105. Jay in Texas

Jack, I am not confident at all about the future of our country but, fortunately, I have seen the disaster coming for years so I am prepared for the worst case scenario which is not very pretty. Unfortunately, most Americans still don't have a clue. That is why they are planning to vote for the exact same candidates who have led us down this path to disaster. As long as Big Oil and huge corporations are allowed to call the shots, things will not improve.
    Brownwood, Texas

September 15, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  106. Mari Fernandez, Salt Lake City, Utah

I am very concerned for the future of our nation if McCain/Palin get into office! Not only will we have more of the same....... the woman who has a degree in journalism-is-a-soccer-mom-and-the-former-mayor-of-a-tiny-town will be our president if McCain dies! This IS terrifying!

September 15, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  107. Pat, Greenville, Ohio

Jack,

I am so sorry for your loss. Don't ever doubt that you can't still talk to her, she is just on the other side of the door.

Now to the question:
    History has a way of repeating itself. Maybe because if you always do what you have always done, you will get the same results.

People are losing their jobs, and the banks( Lehman Brothers) are closing. Another Great Depression is on the horizon. God help us all, and vote Obama

September 15, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  108. David of Alexandria VA

The future can be very bright if we start making the tough, strategic choices we have been avoiding for years. The lack of national resolve, particulalry on the part of Congress, has put us in a dangerously fragile condition. We seem to mess around endlessly with political positioning without ever getting to the meat of the subject and wonder why nothing ever gets done?

We have avoided the issue of oil dependency for 30 years. We have ignored the immigration issue forever. We can't even decide whether to drill for oil when a simplton knows we'll need it in 10 or 15 years and it's better to get it from "us" and not "them."

Come on, people - let's get sopme real leadership here. Then the US will be a greater place when we leave it than when we found it.

September 15, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  109. Charles From Michigan

Jack i am from Northern Michigan. I have been a Licensed builder up here for over 30 years. Not any more. I am done. I am selling off all my Equiment and tools. Trying to find a new job at 53 years old. We have lost our home of over 20 years. My work truck. My do you think we feel about the USA. I would personaly like to thank the GOP for all it has done for the USA. And now they are trying to turn this around and blame it on the Dem.'s Well that BS just wont fly this time.
    We have to have someone that in the white house that will strike a balance between Labor and business. A lot of people are getting way to much for the work they are doing, Now there jobs are gone. Then there is the CEO of these same companys getting obsene fees and bonuses while the company's are losing money. Both are Screwing the share holders. This all has to stop. Its devide and destroy. That is realy what has happened.

September 15, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  110. Katiec Pekin, IL

Jack,
    Our country is sitting on quicksand and it is very frightening.
    It will take years to undo the crisises Bush/republicans
    have gotten us into. They have placed our dear nation
    on the road to destruction with their irresponsible,
    unfunded, unregulated spending and policies.
    They have created the biggest financial, trade deficits
    in the history of our country.
    Someone said our enemies will win by destroying us
    financially. Are we there yet??

September 15, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  111. Chryssa

I'm cautiously optimistic. If Obama wins, we'll be fine. If McCain wins, I'm outta here.

Boise, ID

September 15, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  112. Paul S. Columbia, SC

Until we get rid of this tainted, rigged, corrupt, 2 party system, expect more of the same regardless of who wins the election. Money trumps honor, integrity and trust. I suggest we all start learning a foreign language if we continue repeating the same mistakes. It may soon come in handier than you think.

September 15, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  113. Freynd

Welcome Back Jack!

Its been boring without you. Now for the question at hand I have absolutely NO confidence in the future of the country. Right now I truly believe the country is in its darkest and most critical hour. The whole world is watching while the number one "Super Power" self-destructs and implodes beneath the phony facade it has oppressly forced on the world from behind the name and philosophy of "Democracy" and now we set here while our corrupt and completely out of touch politicians manipulate us in to our own destruction they have done what Osama Bin Laden and the OJ Simpson trial couldn't. Thanks to these idiots the world now knows that although our greatest strength is our craving for money, power, and greed our greatest weakness is our division and this election has not awaken these divides it has magnified them to the point the country is about explode due to the rifts that are being exposed in race, gender, age, and religion mainly due to a failure of the fire of liberty, justice, and the Constitution to heat the proverbial "Melting Pot" we're not displaying the diversity of the greatest democracy on earth. If I were a terrorist I would attack America now and attack hard we, because we have a depleted military a financial system and currency that crumbles more everyday and country divided bitterly along several lines and completely unfocussed on the issues that we need to be focussed. Remember United we stand divided we fall!!!!!

September 15, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  114. andrea cunningham

Mr. Cafferty- Sorry for your lost, though I know that words can never erase the pain,please always remember the good in your life,and that we all pray for yoou and know that you are well loved by many.
    I hope that you will have time to let people know that this finicial criisis shoud be a warning to people not to let the government priavise Social Security, just think if Bush had gotten his way , thousands of people would be in trouble at a time in their life when they could lest afford it. Thank you so much listening and sorry about my spelling. Sincerely Andrea

September 15, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  115. Lee from FL

Not too confident jack,
    i am unemployed trying to find a job and its been 4 months now.
    my mortgage is way way behind,i have a wife and a 1 year old little girl that i cant support,my car is paid off and i have no plans on buying another 1(sorry GM,ford,Chevy).
    Jack its a mess out there and most of the TV talking heads and politicians like Wolf and yourself cant dream to really understand the pain,struggles and stress so many of us has to go through everyday knowing that if i get sick and miss a paycheck done for.
    The 90's were better times for me and my family,George Bush has taken away the "American Dream" and it seems like America is dumb enough to give it away once more.
    another 4 years of hardship is just too much.

September 15, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  116. wally Ruehmann las vegas nv

if mccain Win's were screwed, here in las vegas the bigots are falling from the tree's, iam afraid that could make the difference. hell iam white 58 years old, i might get burned out for supporting someone a different skin color. the republicans selfish bully, ways have got us in this mess.maybe in 20 years this pregidous crap will end.

September 15, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  117. Kami in AZ

Jack it depends. I am very confident if Obama wins that we will change the direction our country is going and get back on the right track. On the other hand, I am scared to death to the point I cant sleep at night from fear that McCain/Palin will win. God help us if they do, what we are seeing now will be nothign compared to the next four years.

I am sorry for your loss Jack.

September 15, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  118. Disgusted

I should have added I'm so sorry for your loss Jack. Any woman with a heart big enough to care about the "little ones who run and quail, and die in silence and dispair" has my heartfelt thanks and the ASPCA has my donation. Fellow bloggers – please donate to the ASAP in memory of Carol Cafferty. She cared about this cause and she cared for our Curmugeon – let's honor her as we try to support the grumpiest straight talker on the planet!

September 15, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  119. Lee from FL

by-the-way, welcome back and my deepest sympathy

September 15, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  120. Robert R

Jack,
    As the oldest son of a member of the "Greatest Generation", I resent the assumption that our kids are equiped to take on the problems of today. Society is totally different from what it was during the depression and the after-math of WWII. When a group of young college educated first time voters can advance an inexperienced African-American over an experienced leader by calling everyone who doesn't support him a racist, I am afraid for the Country. The output of our "dumbed down schools" and Ivy League Colleges, that have brainwashed our children into becoming a militant force against one of the best candidates for Democratic nominee, are not qualified to select our next President.
    Once again, we are left with a choice of "the lessor of two evils" to solve the problems of the Country and I don't think the "Instant Gratification Generation" has the patients of our Fathers and Mothers.
    Robert R.
    Arlington, TX

September 15, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  121. Jerry--- Illinois

Welcome back Jack "we" all missed you,

I'm confident that all those people who voted twice for
    George Bush will see their ways and do the right thing
    this time and vote out the Republicans. Third time will be
    a charm for this great country and the Democrates.

September 15, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  122. Ed in East Canaan, CT

Jack: I have very little hope for the future of America. It would take far to long for me to explain why in detail, so I will simply direct your viewers to read about the Peloponnesian War and the decline and fall of ancient Athens (whom we resemble far more than ancient Rome). It is all there: a democracy that believes its destined to rule an empire and wraps itself in claims of bringing "freedom" to the world in an attempt to do so; politicians putting personal and "party" interests ahead of the peoples welfare; the descent of a once decent society to reliance on torture and atrocity; intolerance for those who question the need for war and conquest (to the point of executing them!); the destruction of a once vibrant culture and the end of a "Golden Age".
    I recommend Thucydides "History of the Peloponnesian War" and
    Donald Kagan's "The Peloponnesian War". According to Georges
    Santayana, we're in really deep, perhaps irreversible, trouble!

September 15, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  123. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Very positive –

If McCain is elected, positive we're definitely sunk.

If Obama is elected, positive we have a slim chance of survival.

September 15, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  124. Deb n Texas

Jack, I am so sadden by your lost and wish you the best, I really have missed you! I am very confident in the United States, I think we have a chance to make things better – as long as a republican is not in the picture.

September 15, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  125. Al, Lawrence KS

I've been seriously depressed about America and American voters since we re-elected George Bush. If McCain is elected, I'll go back on my meds and everything will be better. If Obama wins, I can stop my meds, and everything will be better. I have a plan for either outcome.

September 15, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  126. Stefan, Hoffman Estates, IL

Well, Jack, I am confident that if McPalin gets elected we will continue to see our national reputation erode and our military used and abused by the White House. I am hopeful that if Obama-Biden get elected we will see our diplomats used and our military rested and rejuvenated and our national reputation restored. Unfortunately, I am confident that half of the population don't care about any of that, just what pant-suit Palin is wearing and whether it coordinates with her glasses.

September 15, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  127. Rob

Jack, the best hope for our future lies in a leader that tells people what they don't want to hear. Replay the speech from the movie Gung Ho, about how the great American spirit is alive and well, but it's moved to Asia, where we're getting our butts kicked. It's because we're all looking for the quick fix, trying to be the next Michael Jordan or American Idol. Meanwhile in China and India we'll be competing against 2 billion new Bill Gates. We fall for the shiny objects and the buy now and pay later scam when it comes to our cars, clothes and the people they tell us we should date or especially vote for. And the biggest obstacle to healthcare is what we do to ourselves, getting our exercise from video games and poisoning our systems with convenience foods, tobacco, and alcohol. And yes I'm fair and balanced: I've been tending bar for 24 years.
    Robbie from NYC

September 15, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  128. John in Santa Barbara, CA

I'm not worried about the United States of American. It's rock solid and will continue to be so for a very long time. I have no confidence in the people who are running the country and are making it less that it could be.

September 15, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  129. Maggie from peterborough

Well Jack I've been following John McCain's campaign diligently for months now and he's convinced me if he gets elected YARD SALES will likely become the most lucrative businesses in America.

On the other hand if Obama gets elected and follows through with his plan of tax breaks for Companies that produce in the U.S. and tax those that send jobs overseas then perhaps there is a chance to turn the ecomony around and get Americans back to work.

September 15, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  130. Rosalynd Florida

If Americans are stupid enough to vote McCain-palin I do not believe America has a future. America needs a smart and caring leader to get us out of this mess not some old guy who has no plan and wants us to accept a VP who has about as many clues as he does to get us out of this failed Bush policy , None.

September 15, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  131. Ron Van Der Maarel

Dear Jack: As many others I am saddened for your loss and my prayers will be with you.

As for your question: For me the Obama/Biden ticket is our ONLY way out of this situation. A vote for McCain/Palin is to flush away the hopes and future of our country down the toilet!

September 15, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  132. McCain/Palin

If John McCain gets in, I feel good about the future. If Obama gets in, I worry about our future and our safety.

September 15, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  133. Rocky from Chicopee, Ma

The reality is, we've been in bigger messes. We'll get out of it, as soon as Hillary is elected president in 2012.

September 15, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  134. Jim, SC

I just watched the Secretary of Commerce on TV and my first thought was God help the people of Galveston if they put him in charge of FEMA. I think this Economy is is real trouble, and if we don't get some competent individuals in a position of power to jerk a knot in Wall Street's collective ass, we are facing a world-wide recession or worse.

September 15, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  135. Diane, Barneveld, NY

I am so confident of the future of this country that if I could afford it, I would move to another country. I'm confident that we will have more terrorists on our shores. I'm confident that other countries will hate us as long as "maverick" cowboys run our foreign policy. I'm confident that jobs will continue to go overseas. I'm confident that the rich will get richer. I'm confident that our constitution will amount to nothing but a piece of history as republicans chip away at it. I'm confident that we will be forever the only industrialized country without universal healthcare. I'm confident we will never get out of debt and more of our country will be bought by China, if there is anything left for them to buy. I'm confident we are on the verge of being b****slapped by every third world upstart with a yearn to do so. I'm confident I don't want to see it happen, but I'm watching it happen every single day.

September 15, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  136. David Elam

Jack ,
    Welcome back and sorry for your loss..
    We are in deep trouble and I feel 4 more years of Bush will send us
    over the edge.Obama is our only hope!

September 15, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  137. Mary Johnson

My confidence has been in the bottom of the pit for eight years.
    and as to the future, Well, that depends on how people vote in November. If people think about the future instead of the past maybe we will elect a president who is a forward 21st Century man. If not, then we are going to skid even further into the pit.
    sigh.... Mary from Sarasota, FL

September 15, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  138. Annie, Atlanta

I'm not confident there are enough safeguards in place to rein in the downturn (to put it mildly) and am very scared for all of us.

September 15, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  139. Anita

I'm on my way to the bank now to get my money before it is all down the drain. As long as the most incompetent president and his incompetent administration are controlling things, this country is doomed. They have ruined the USA and no one is being held accountable. The greedy irresponsible CEO's are walking away with millions. They helped create this financial devastation – I want to see heads roll and those guilty thrown in jail. If anyone is thinking of voting for McCain, think again, because it will be the final nail in the coffin for our democracy. It's time the most corrupt and incompetent presidential administration be tried for their MANY crimes!!!

September 15, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  140. Sandy in Chicago

I believe in Obama can get America back on track. Middle class will be stored, jobs will be back, healthcare will be affordable, alternative forms of energy... but, it won't happen overnight. I am sure the Republicans will beat Obama up if things don't turn around immediately, but guess what, no one has said anything about Bushie totally screwing it up for the last 8 years!! Bill Clinton restored America and we were doing great until Bushie took over. I fear that there are still 50+ percent of the American people that are still stupid.

September 15, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  141. L.A. Boston

Jack:

Things will eventually work themselves out!!!

Everybody is all of a sudden talking about the great depression. Senator Obama is talking about raising taxes. Raising taxes in an economic downturn will only bring worse results. One of the reasons that Herbert Hoover was blamed for the Great Depression was his inability to work with the other side of the aisle.

McCain has the experience in working with the other side and doesn't plan on raising taxes (especially during an economic slowdown).
    He will surround himself with knowledgeable people on both sides of the aisle to keep taxes low and create new jobs.

Laura, Boston

September 15, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  142. Anne/Seattle

Jack it depends on so many factors both within the U.S. and around the world. I feel Obama has the insight, intelligence and network to bring us stability while coming up with plans to keep our heads above water. I've never previously felt in any presidential campaign that if the person I support didn't win that the country could go down the tube. But the idea started as I've watched Bush day by day disassemble our power, prestige and security. And if McCain/Palin are elected Obama's warning of "eight is enough" will no longer just be a campaign slogan but an epitaph.

September 15, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  143. Melanie in Arkansas

First, let me say how very sorry we are for you loss. You have our deepest condolences!
    to the question, Armegeddon tired of the whole world condition, & have very little hope for the future of the U.S. or any place else, for that matter.

September 15, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  144. Carl Deshazer

Jack,
    The only thing i'am confident about is that our once great country is headed for more doom and gloom. Neither one of these candidates is qualified enough to run our country. We need another F.D.R, thats the kind of person we need in the White House. In my opion, the worst of the two is McCain, I'am 57 years old and very proud to cast my vote in each election, not this year though, i won't vote for either of the two candidates.
    Carl in Illinois

September 15, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  145. Rachel

Jack,

Have you listen to the news lately? If McSame is voted in as the new president, my confidence in the future will be in the toliet. With my fellow americans jumping on the McSame band wagon, because of is VP choice the toliet has flushed. I can see the new flash now "U.S. Government just filed for chapter 11"

No way, no how, no McCain and No Palin!!!!

Rachel, Atlanta

September 15, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  146. Martin

The results of the election will determine my level of confidence. I will have no confidence if John McCain should win. I will moderately positive confidence if Barack Obama should prevail but does not have a favorable Congress and I would have a great deal of confidence if Obama should win with a result of a new congress, whether with Republicans or Democrats who would work toward budget surpluses that would improve our economy, get us out of Iraq, eliminate our use of oil and create a tax structure that is not a giveaway to the ultra,ultra wealthy.

September 15, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  147. Colleen, Charlotte, NC

I am excited about Obama. If elected I would feel much more confident about the future of the US. I would feel safer and more positive about the US we are leaving to our children. McCain is more of the same Bush policies that have dug us into deep dept. McCain is more war. McCain is an angry person. Palin is more teenage pregancies, less money for public education and more earmarks for Alaska. I'm praying that I am not the only one that feels strongly about these issues. I'm praying that Obama supporters go to the polls like nothing we've seen before. I'm praying the movement continues.

Obama /Biden '08

September 15, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  148. Jerry from Jacksonville

I still have alot of faith in the US, we just need to get the bible thumping, lying republicans out of office, they have just about destroyed our country, giving big business hugh tax breaks, giving the wealthy large tax breaks and letting business skip the oversight that was put in place to keep our economy strong. When we have been told false tales about everything from the war in Iraq to the state of the economy then something is wrong. All McCain can do is lie about what someone else is doing, a shame the little pint sized jerk has to lie to make up for the fact that he suffers from small man syndrone

September 15, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  149. ken in jefferson city mo

I think if either Obama or Mccain get elected it will be a hard road it took 8 years to get here and it will not be easy,but if Obama wins I think we will come out this faster and stronger because he is smarter than Mccain and Mccain will answer to his lobbyist that run his campaign.
    Obama will put the middle class first he has the concept that our economy should come from the ground up and that should tell the people how this government will be run,also every good leader always surronds himself with good people that don't have the same opinion who do you think Mccain will have with him?
    Your right the people with him now.

September 15, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  150. Mary Asheville NC

It really looks bad and if McCain wins; it most likely will finish us.

September 15, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  151. Roger (Dallas, TX)

Jack: Am so glad you are back and again our heartfelt prayers go out to you and your family.

If John McCain and his kupie doll are elected, I have absolutely no confidence that our country can weather the mortal storm that is sure to come. Have we learned nothing the past 8 years? Something new has to be tried. The only chance we have is for Barack Obama and Joe Biden to be elected. This team of McCain/Palin is a joke – she is so far right she almost makes Rush Limbaugh look like a liberal!!

September 15, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  152. Linda Wolff

Jack, if we can elect Barak Obama to be our next president and, at the same time, elect an all-Democratic congress, then our future is clearer than it has been for 8 years. I would be very confident. However, if Americans are even dumber than I thought and elect an old man with old, old ideas, than we're finished as far as I'm concerned.

Linda
    Sarasota

September 15, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  153. George

Depend on who wins the election. If the Dems win things will change for the better for all, however in McCain wins we are going head first into the crapper.

September 15, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  154. mitchell ,arkansaw

i give us a 50/50 chance depending on this election. we won't make it 4 more years if republicans remain in control of the presidency.

September 15, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  155. Jim

Jack,

I only hope we have enough common sense not to inflict on ourselves four more years of McBush. You would think eight years of complete failure would open even conservatives' eyes. Given their fawning over Palin, though, I guess, reality notwithstanding, they'd go with Bozo the Clown if he played to their cherished fantasies. The country's in deep trouble, Jack, and we can't fantasize our way out.

September 15, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  156. Aaron WV

If Obama wins, I'm confident we can stop the bleeding, and begin to heal. It won't be easy, as the patient is pretty busted up, but we definitely need to consult a new doctor.
    McMalpractice will finish the patient off, I'm afraid.

September 15, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  157. mccartichoke

I'm supremely confident the U.S. has a future, but I'm scared to death about the road it's taking. If our apparent conservative zeal for electing someone just like us, we could be a heartbeat away from a hockey-mom president with no more vision for the future than what the kids want for dinner.
    In a world where we seem to be losing our grip on the international lead in science we really don't need to have leaders who want Creationism taught in public schools. It hasn't worked for the past eight years. When are we going to learn?
    Welcome back, Jack, I'm sorry for your great loss.

D McCarthy, NYC

September 15, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  158. Bob in Rochester, NY

Jack,

Two wars, a military in tatters, an economy about to go from recession to depression, a dysfunctional federal government, a litany of bank failures, a mortage crisis, a healthcare crisis, sabre rattling rhetoric aimed at Russia and Iran, a GOP highjacked by extremists, I could go on but I'm scaring myself. Confident in our future? I'm confident that we're screwed, if that's what you mean. It scares the hell out of me to think that the people's answer to this national crisis could be to elect a 72 year old man that is the mirror image of our current Disaster in Chief and the know-nothing twit he's appointed to run with him. What is wrong with the people of this country!? God Help Us.

September 15, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  159. Colleen @ Saginaw, Michigan

Americans can do anything if we put our ornery minds to it. The key is education.

Until massive numbers of crumbling schools are refurbished or replaced, students will be getting an either/or education – "either" being top notch, with state of the art facilities designed for 21st century needs; "or" being a warehouse filled with students who wonder why they are not considered good enough to have the opportunities that their adajacent district children have in abundance. This has to be dealt with at a federal level since most local districts don't have enough funds to pay for fuel to run the busses.

So far the last 8 years have been a disaster, and the previous 20 weren't much better............

September 15, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  160. carol

After this weekends news, a do nothing democrat congress, a republican president who had very little experience going into office. My confidence is at a really low point. Though I love them dearly, my grand children would like a rock star with a 143 days experience for a president, Over one with experience. The 21st century is beginning to look dismal.

carol OR

September 15, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  161. Samson

Jack

Well, unless Mr. Obama stepped in to the rescue, I don't think i will be confident enough especially with what the republicans did in the economy and what they are proposing for the coming 4 years!

September 15, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  162. Obama-Junkie in Illinois

Sorry about your loss Jack...

My confidence in the US is a little shaky. It's the first time I have even thought it. My adult years are based on the Clinton presidency and GW Bush presidency.

I think our economy still has a number of financial firms that will go bankrupt before the end of the year. The unemployment rate will go higher before the end of the year. Oil prices will remain relatively high and the Iraq War will get worse again unless political reconciliation happens in Iraq. The Iraqi provincial elections are looking more and more likely that they will not happen in October 1st, 2008.

September 15, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  163. Jessica

I'm not very confident at all. I don't fully trust either candidate's judgment, nor do I trust the Supreme Court or those in charge of Congress. We need more than "change" or "experience" to make this country work. We need both.

September 15, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  164. My Comment is Awaiting Moderation, NY

No confidence when Rep. Charlie Rangel (D) has to hire a forensic acc't just to figure out how much he cheated on his own taxes.

Hey, did anyone notice that CNN hasn't reported on that story yet?
    Hmmmm.....

September 15, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  165. mitchell ,arkansaw

depends on whether we elect a 'healer and uniter' or a 'warrior and a fighter'.
    do we start mending the mistakes of the past? or do we keep saluting them like they were helpful?
    do we stop this senseless war in iraq or do we keep borrowing money from china to fund it?

September 15, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  166. Beverley, Fredricksburg Va

Jack,

I could be wrong but my assestment is that this trickle down Goverment works for corporations not the citizens. There are companies that call theirselves American but don't want American workers – just American stockholders and customers. Some bring in cheap labor via visas or by inticing labor to cross the border illegally. Some simply have American stationary but an overseas address. If the working American can't get a break – we're doomed. So I guess my short answer is NO.

September 15, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  167. Jessica

I'm not very confident at all. I don't fully trust either candidate's judgment. We need more than "change" or "experience" to make this nation continue working; we need both.

Jessica
    Ft. Worth, Texas

September 15, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  168. Hank

Jack, Until we get far, far away from the Bush/McCain Team it looks very dark
    Hank, Bonifay Fl

September 15, 2008 at 5:08 pm |
  169. Francheska

I confident in America, somehow America will go on. I just wonder how bad she will get beat up before someone has the guts to say "Enough"...Oh yeah...someone already did. ;-).

September 15, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  170. Charlene

Jack – My bet is definetley NOT with Sen. McCain. He has already said he does know much about the economy and then today said, once again, the economy is strong – What country is this guy looking at?? I feel much better about Sen. Obama working on the economy. He is a smart guy and smart enough to know to ask for help from some of the smartest economic advisors.

September 15, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  171. Rick PA

If we kick all the bums out who vote in secret sessions. And have the constitution reinstated there is nothing that the American people can't do. Most Americans are generous at heart. If our tax dollars went to help the people in the USA first. Our future could be great but when our tax dollars go to other countries before ours. There is not much hope. And I'm done supporting it. My money is my own from now on and I will give humanitarian aid to people of this country who need help. I bought your book and it was a great read Jack.

September 15, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  172. Missy M

Unlike many of my cynical neighbors, I'm fairly optimistic. Although the news tends to focus on the negative aspects of the economy there are some positives too (it's not all doom and gloom). I'm not so optimistic about the upcoming election, especially after reading some of these comments – it's clear many people want to politicize the banking issue and need a refresher course in how the Federal Reserve actually works.

September 15, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  173. Shel in GA

None if McCain-Bush is elected. Those who believe Obama would make it worse have bought the same Republican story forever. I gather they have never studied what happens if those making less than $250,000 are given a tax cut as Obama recommends. Money inserted in the economy at the lower levels is spent quickly, is re-spent quickly – tax payer to grocer, to supplier,..... Dollars turn over more often and faster than money inserted at the top and reach the top surprisingly fast. Turnovers in effect multiply the value of the dollars many times. It takes much longer for money inserted at the top levels to have any effect. In the last 8 years, money inserted at the top seems to have gone for foreign vacation homes, executive salaries, foreign luxury items, and offshore jobs. Where are all the grand benefits promised when the last major tax cut was approved????

September 15, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  174. Stephen from TN

After 8 years of Bush policy (and McCain agreeing with him 91% of the time)...I will guess no.

September 15, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  175. Alex in DC

Confident? The only confidence I have is that America has been heading down the wrong path for many years, and that I don't see any chance of it changing with just this election. The American political system is broken. The Founding Fathers never intended the country to be divided along party lines – let alone develop into such a deeply-seeded two-party system where you're either Republican, Democrat, or Unheard. Indeed, George Washington FEARED the formation of political parties.

So what hope does America really have when the people in power have absolutely no incentive to bring about the real change we need, and make it easier for new political parties – ones that actually reflect the feelings, thoughts, and beliefs of the people?

Get ready for a new depression. Only this time, there will be no FDR and alphabet agencies coming to save us, no American industry upon which we can base our economic might. Nope – we shipped those jobs overseas, and instead praised the work of bankers, lawyers, and other service-sector jobs that produce absolutely nothing.

September 15, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  176. randi/PA

I only have confidence if Obama wins. If McCain wins, we don't stand a chance. Women's rights will be set back 50 yrs, our economy will only worsen, and we will end up in another war. I better start packing, but for where?

September 15, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  177. Rob Weiss, Tucson, Arizona

I am scared to death of our future if Obama becomes the President. As Carted did in the past, he is one who wants to talk to every despot in the world, but he isn't willing to commit to anything.
    Our economy is a wreck, the market is falling, jobs are going away at an alarming clip and the dollar is weak across the board.
    All of this needs "action" not talk. Talk is cheap, pardon the cliche.
    Who cares what the world thinks of us, we need to worry about ourselves more than anything. The rest of the world only cares about the US when they need our money to bail them out of a mess. Funny thing, they aren't here to help us in our time of need, are they?

September 15, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  178. 2pacolypse of Largo, Maryland

Anytime a 26 Year Senator, John McCain says publicly he doesn't know much about how our U.S. Economy works, then if elected President, our economic future is headed for the Great Depression. Then the out of touch dweeb actually says this morning after the Wall Street collapse that fundamentally the U.S. economy is strong, it begs the question, why would we shoot craps with our future and our children's future with a man who doesn't even understand the present?

I see everyone loves to say talk is cheap but sitting on your behind and allowing the GOP to continue putting us in this economic disaster that McCain has been a part of the past 8 years is cheap, and frankly irresponsible to the legacy of our children and grandchildren who'll be paying for our stupid mistake of continually allowing the GOP to govern. That's what you need to tell your children and grand children that we were stupid, we were dumb, because we kept voting for an administration that kept putting us further and further in economic disparity leaving you and your kids to foot the bill.

September 15, 2008 at 5:34 pm |
  179. Catherine, Tiskilwa IL

Not veryconfident at all; not as long as so many people are willing to be cattle instead of Americans. As long as they vote from a position of fear instead of one of courage and let their petty prejudices make their decisions instead of those "better angels" Lincoln talked about, this country and the grand vision it represented hasn't much chance to survive. As long as people insist on this fairy tale that it's the other guy who needs things like health care and social security and a union, because that expensive degree they got makes them fireproof. I'd laugh, because there are a couple thousand at Lehman brothers who just got a dose of reality, but it's not funny. I think I'd tell a kid to take mandarin, farsi, or russian and cultivate gumption.

September 15, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  180. rick viburnum Mo

What's the future for America let me get my crystal ball out ah here it is.Lets see war with Iran ouch that won't be good. Bank failures massive unemployment people are hungry. There are a few very wealthy people they are having a party the champain is flowing. The Supreme Court just banned Abortion. The folks in Kansa are Rejoicing Life is good.

September 15, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  181. Way Portland, ME

America's politicians have hurt America deeply. Not only our Economy but our reputation. They are ruining what our grandfathers bled for. Why are we letting them get away with this?

September 15, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  182. JoAnn C in San Diego CA

Jack, I am a little scared. If Senator McCain and Gov Palin are elected I see a bleak future for this country. I see a candidate with too much experiece AKA Good ol' Boy what have you been doing for eight years and one with NO experience to take over in a time of crisis and if they win. NO! NO! We're going to hell in a hand basket! Talk about fiddlin' while Rome burns! We're in a crisis and we're talkin' abourt lipstick.

September 15, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  183. Elizabeth, Clarksville, TN

When I think of the future of our country on a day like today, I don't feel confident at all. The mortgage crisis has sent our financial markets down the toilet, but there is a bigger problem than all these bad home loans. Families cannot pay for their homes when their factory jobs have been replaced with unemployment or a job at a fast food restaurant. Now let us point the finger at the real culprit in the doom and gloom we see now. NAFTA, CAFTA, and all the other acronyms that only mean goodbye jobs.

September 15, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  184. patty

Obama wouldn't choose Phil Grahm as an economic advisor as McCain did. That spoke volumes about McCain's true loyalty, once again it's not about what's good for the people of the US. He chose his lobbyist buddies over country. Do people remember McCain saying Economics wasn't his strong suit. But do you read newspapers, Phil Grahm's exploits were in the papers and on TV. Come on, we're in a financial crisis and the best you can give us was Phil Grahm!
    Patty, Washington State

September 15, 2008 at 5:42 pm |
  185. Danny

America's future will be just as bright as it's past. I never realized how many cry babies there are in America today. It won't matter who is the President. This country has always come out heads up in all of our past adversities.

Quit whining about how bad things are here. Take a look around the rest of the world and see how miserable so many millions of people are compared to us.

You all have seen the misery in the news around the world, and most of us never have been affected by it. So be very thankful for what we have in this country. It will still be the best place to live in regardless of who becomes the next President.. Danny

September 15, 2008 at 5:42 pm |
  186. Michael - Las Vegas

Not at all. The way the polls seem to be headed, it appears we may once again put a completely uninspiring and unimaginative leader in the white house who will only continue the failed policies and practices of the past. We are a nation of people who vote based upon 30 second spots, instead of looking for truly great ideas. McCain has shown that he can follow the dictates of the republican party bosses; Obama has demonstrated that he is capable of inspiring. I want someone who will once again inspire my country to great things and to its rightful place in the world (a la Kennedy).

September 15, 2008 at 5:43 pm |
  187. Mae Philbeck

Until and unless the politicians realize that the middle class is what runs this country, I have a poor opinion of our future. If they had provided the necessary relief that the middle class is in dire need of, the mortgage lenders would not be in the shape they are in today. I guess you could say, it is a trickle up effect. If the middle class can't afford their payments due to the rising cost of day to day living, the upper class will lose in the end.

Mae
    Richmond, KY

September 15, 2008 at 5:44 pm |
  188. Eugene -- Myers Flat, California

Jack, the economic pendulum swings both ways and will swing back, into recovery this spring, after the presidential election. It may take more time to recover this time because our government has been steadily outsourcing American jobs, for the past 30 years. Add that to the fact that we're filling American jobs, with illegal alines and you get a receiptfor disaster. Wake up America and vote every pandering incumbant our of office this November, or we'll just get more, of the some old crap.

September 15, 2008 at 5:44 pm |
  189. Terry in Fayetteville, NC

If the neo-cons suceed in bamboozing the voters for a third time and install their puppets I am confident we can become a third world banana republic in a single McCain term.

September 15, 2008 at 5:48 pm |
  190. Geri Britt

Best regards Jack. I'm happy to see you back.

To answer your question Jack. As long as the same people are running government, politics, business, education, and finance we are in a pile of deep doo-doo. We can't and won't think, see, or experience change as long as the same people are running the show.

If you do what you have always done you get what you have always gotten. If you think what you have always thought you will get what you have always got.

Geri – Mead, OK

September 15, 2008 at 5:48 pm |
  191. will

I'm just wondering what happen to going the school and getting a Degree and you will find a good job. Now, employers are asking for experience. I read an article on the internet about Out Sourcing jobs over seas. The reason the writer gave for Out Sourcing jobs to other foreign countries was companies are looking for the best talent and experience people and he said cheep wages were also a reason for out sourcing jobs from America.

The question came to mind, what, America don't have any or maybe enough skilled and talent people here? And how can anyone live in American if we are not going to be paid a decent wage to be able to live in America? I'm not worrying I just want to know why the American people can't understand the Republicans has and will always be the same and McCain = no change.

September 15, 2008 at 5:49 pm |
  192. Jean

McCain is not thinking for himself. He made an error in a verbal response and was audibly corrected by one of his "co-hearts."
    He has no idea about what the middle class and senior Americans are experiencing. He is too old to run for office. He is the same age, but has less education than I.
    Too, how many readers understand that it was the Republicans that started the "smear"commercials"... Obama finally decided to strike back.
    Palin??? She has too many issues in her life to be of much assistance as a VP. She and McCain answer questions before they think.
    If they had followed the old school rule: "Put on your thinking cap before speaking"; then they would not be in the position of explaining what they meant by certain statements.

September 15, 2008 at 5:51 pm |
  193. Jamedra

I've got to be honest Jack,

I'm a 26-year-old, one year out of college and just starting my life and...

I'm scared s**tless!

Great to see you back Jack!

September 15, 2008 at 5:51 pm |
  194. Dave from Toronto

Jack,

Terrorism is clearly not the biggest threat facing America.

First there was Enron and your energy,
    then the Big Three and your cars,
    and now Wall Street and your money,

Toss in a senseless war, and trillions in debt.

Who says Washington can't affect substantial change in a short 8 years?

September 15, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  195. Debbie, Blue Springs, Missouri

I am very concerned about our future. I have been anxiously waiting to elect a new president for the past four years. I can not wait to elect Obama. We need to put an intelligent leader in the White House.

The Repubs have been destroying things for the past eight years. I think Obama will put good people in leadership roles to pull us out of this nightmare.

McCain/Palin would put cronies in leadership roles and ruin us all.

September 15, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  196. Eugene -- Myers Flat, California

Jack, the economic pendulum swings both ways and will swing back, into recovery this spring, after the presidential election. It will take more time to recover this time because our government has been steadily outsourcing American jobs, for the past 30 years. Add that to the fact we’re filling the few American jobs left, with low- payed illegal aliens and you get a receipt for disaster. Wake up America and vote every pandering incumbant out of office this November, or we’ll just get more, of the some old bickering mixed, with partisan gridlock.

September 15, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  197. Griff

When you go. The World goes... Asia is in "Big Trouble"....

September 15, 2008 at 5:55 pm |