August 28th, 2008

Did Clintons deliver for Obama?

ALT TEXT
Click the play button to see what Jack and our viewers had to say.(PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

It was pretty easy to see last night why Bill Clinton was elected president. When he's on, there's nobody better.

The former president came out swinging, declaring that Obama is "ready to lead America and restore American leadership in the world." He rather cleverly pointed out that when he was running in 1992, critics said the same things about him as they say about Obama. "Too young, too inexperienced." Clinton said those criticisms didn't work against him then, and they won't work against Obama now because "he is on the right side of history".

Like his wife, Clinton called on Hillary's 18 million supporters to vote for Obama. But he went even further than Hillary had, praising Obama's ability to inspire people, his intelligence and curiosity, his "clear grasp" of foreign policy, the strength he gained from the long primary season and his good judgment in choosing Joe Biden as his number two. And he did it all with a straight face.

Watch: Cafferty: Clintons deliver?

Bill Clinton ripped into John McCain, saying that after two terms of President Bush, "in this case, the third time is not the charm." Clinton cited a laundry list of Republican failures of the last 8 years, particularly the sinking image of America abroad: "People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of power".

With thousands of delegates waving American flags, it seems like party unity may have finally arrived. Hillary Clinton also made the symbolic move yesterday of stepping forward during the roll call to propose that Obama be declared the nominee by acclamation. So after months and months of bitterness and division…

Here’s my question to you: Did the Clintons deliver for Barack Obama?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Brian from Kingston, New York writes:
I’ve been an Obama supporter throughout the campaign, and Bill and Hillary reminded me this week why I liked them so much before the primaries. I don't know how persuasive they were to the hardcore Hillary holdouts, but they certainly redeemed themselves in my eyes.

Mary from Canton, Michigan writes:
Being from the battleground state of Michigan, I know no one generates more enthusiastic crowds than Bill Clinton when he visits Detroit and the metro area. With Bill and Hillary on board, it should be a slam-dunk for Obama. If Obama loses this election, it will definitely not be the fault of the Clintons. The division in the Democratic Party has been created by the media and the hierarchy of the party.

Ted from Beaverton, Oregon writes:
They delivered like the post office compared to overnight FEDEX, but they eventually did their jobs. Why did they need so much arm-twisting to get things done for their own party? I was ready for unity on day one of the convention, not when the Clintons stopped whining.

Gail from Centre, Alabama writes:
The Clintons have done what was expected of them, and a darn good job. It's now up to Obama to close the deal. There is not a thing he can say to get my vote; it's just not going to happen. I can't vote for a community organizer. Someone with the judgment he has plus no experience. I'm not willing to take that risk.

Bill from Quarryville, Pennsylvania writes:
I think there's nothing more the Clintons could have done for party unity than the speeches they have given the last two nights. By the way, Jack, I am now going to the shed and getting my snow shovels out. You had nice things to say about the Clintons two days in a row.

Kevin from Massachusetts writes:
Jack, I really don't know. I couldn't bring myself to watch. Hanna Montana was on the Disney Channel.

1. Terri-Ann, Dallas, TX

Absolutely!! No way, no how, No McCain!! The third time is not a charm!! And....we're not going to reward the Republicans about the last failed 8 years by giving them 4 more!!!

August 28, 2008 at 1:58 pm |
  2. Tillie, Manassas VA

Obama, you had me at "tax cut".

August 28, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  3. Anthony Smith

Jack;

Both Clintons delivered in less than 10 minutes and piping hot!

Wildwood Crest, NJ

August 28, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  4. Mike, Syracuse NY

Jack, they did all they had to do to make sure that when Obama loses they can't be blamed. I'm sure if either one were attached to a lie detector during their speeches it would have broken the peg off.

August 28, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  5. Tom

Jack,

Yes they did. More importantly, I think that Clinton Supporters got a message; if you take your ball and go to the McCain camp, you probably missed Hillary's message from the get go.

Tom
    Silverdale, Wa

August 28, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  6. Roger Cyr

Yes they did and it was nice to see them finally put the country as the top priority in defeating BushMcCain disaster.

August 28, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  7. Mark - Asheville, NC

This is very much like yesterday's question. I have the same answer.

Yes, they delivered. I wouldn't have done it had I been either of them, but they did it for their own reasons. Will it work? No.

No one but Obama can get voters to overlook his abysmal lack of experience, his past associations, and the general impression that he is simply not ready to lead the most powerful nation in the world. Tonight's Hollywood Olympic speech will certainly not do it, and will be seen by many as overcompensation for the deficits listed above.

A successful nominee – and President – should not have to depend on anyone else to certify his or her worthiness for the job. What does this question imply about that?

August 28, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  8. Richard, Syracuse, NY

YES. As a strong Clinton supporter I was very happy to see the reaction to the speeches of the Clinton's. Both Senator and Bill Clinton showed that all the rumors were false and that they are prepared to do what it takes to put Senator Obama in the White House. But I am sure that you, Jack, will have some snide comments as you always do about the Clintons. Why not just fess up, you dislike the Clintons and allow that to over rule your mouth.

August 28, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  9. Ron K.

Hi Jack:

I was not impressed with the Clintons. Although I think at the end of the day. Both will be an asset to Barak Obama.

Ron San Diego

August 28, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  10. Stacy from Rainy Loudoun, VA

Jack, they did not go far enough in my humble opinion. They should have gotten matching “Obama/Biden 08” tattoos and put those on display for the entire world to see.

August 28, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  11. Jad in NH

Absolutely. Any chance we can focus on Obama now?

August 28, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  12. Allan Hanson Cameron Park Ca.

I wonder why it is tthe Clintons job to assure that Obama gets elected.
    Isn't it Obamas job. You media types got him selected over the better qualified Hillary, now it is your job to get him elected or are you just shilling for McCain? I think it is the later.
    After the Clintons speaches you have a lot of crow to eat.

August 28, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  13. Mark Cowan in PA

Yes they did,absoluelty great. End of Story- Republican in PA

August 28, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  14. Tom, The Heart of Democracy, Avon, Maine

Change Bubba's name to UPS. He delivers. God bless him.

August 28, 2008 at 2:06 pm |
  15. Spencer from VA

They sure did Jack. Hillary did the most work, but Bill's speech last night was the icing on the cake.

August 28, 2008 at 2:06 pm |
  16. Hani Suleiman from Atlanta, Georgia

Yes, although Bill Clinton's speech was much stronger than Hillary's. I was dissapointed in Hillary's speech; she didn't deliver to her stubborn supporters slowly migrating towards McCain.

August 28, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  17. Rose

I heard clearly the words that came out of Bill Clinton's mouth but I don't believe he meant any of them. I don't think he was happy about when he appeared on stage, he made the comment that he was warming up the audience for Joe Biden, Bill Clinton said what he had to say to save face with the Democratic Party and to retire Hillary's debt. As for Hillary, it was what she did not say that was obvious and then went on to tell her supporters, I can't tell you who to vote for.
    So my answer to your question is NO.

Rose
    AZ

August 28, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  18. Aaron in Carolina Beach

Jack,
    The Clintons have done more then I thought it was possible for them to do. The Clintons have actually swallowed their enormous pride and checked their gigantic ego's at the door, and it was only the second most historic thing to happen at this convention so far.

August 28, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  19. Larry from Georgetown, Texas

Yes they did. They are professional politicians and don't wnat to destroy their chances of making another run in four years.

August 28, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  20. Iwan

August 28, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  21. karen raleigh

Yes, I believe they did.

August 28, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  22. lou

I don't know what else they could have said to make it clearer that they are behind Obama. I never expected them to slather on the kudos for Obama personally. That would not have rang true and I think it would just infuriate some of the PUMAs even more. But they made it very clear that McCain is not an option.

August 28, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  23. brian j keenan

America imperialism on the world made a president today as a protest vote against fundamental change in the world. I don’t believe it’s fair to say what you want in America or I don’t believe that I will ever accept Obama as president.
    I believe that the self destruction button in America as furthered the world from what is seen as human dignity in the world.I am appalled at individualism and the vile words of people in which they express’ who are in themselves socially economically, physically handicapped.
    Is for reason in hate hilary alone to give one’s life up for someone or political destine also’ so you can be mocked to today in election fraud.

August 28, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  24. brian j keenan

Is for reason in hate alone to give one’s life up for someone or political destine’ so you can be mocked to today in election fraud

August 28, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  25. Bill From Fla

Absolutely the Clintons delivered, but as powerful as the Clintons are,
    they cannot win this Presidency for him. Most people as my self just
    do not think Obama has the experience to lead this country, even
    with Biden as his VP. Once Obama has some experience under his belt in a few years, well maybe then.

August 28, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  26. Jackie in Dallas

Yes, I can honestly say that the Clintons have done everything in their power to support Obama, and did it with grace. Hillary lost a couple of points by not saying he was ready to lead, but gained them back by acting with grace during the roll call vote.

I was pleasantly surprised by both Clintons. I was expecting a luke-warm endorsement at best, but was happy to see them both look past their personal disappointment and instead look toward what would be best for the U.S.

August 28, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  27. Mike Cassidy, Cleveland, Ohio

Bill and Hillary's speeches were very good on content and I think on the surface, they did deliver for Obama. However, it seems like Bill's facial expressions didn't mesh with his words. In some circles, there reputation has taken a beating, and it will still take more than two speeches to repair their standing.

August 28, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  28. Dan, Maryland

As an Obama supporter I couldn't be happier. After first hearing Hillary's speach I was worried she didn't go far enough, but like a good tag team, Bill Clinton delivered the final blow and the Clinton's have done a major service to this country yet again in urging the Democrats to coalesce around Barack Obama. They will have to continue crossing the country on his behalf through November to continue bringing their supporters on board, but they did a hell of a job.

August 28, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  29. Ann from S.C.

I think the Clintons definitely delivered, and delivered magnificently. I don't think they did it for Barack Obama. They proved they are team players and delivered to acheive party unity. I think they did it to leave the door open for Hillary in 2012 if Obama loses. I have to admire them for doing something that I think was oh so hard for them to do.

August 28, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  30. Rosalynd Florida

Absolutely,

I was wondering if they would come through for Obama but I have to say in the end I was impressed by the Clinton's ability to come together for party unity. It is a testament of why they have succeeded in politics regardless of their many critics.

August 28, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  31. Jimmy, Columbia, Mo

The Clintons talked real sweet this week, but what mattered was their conduct during the campaign. If it weren't for Hillary talking down Obama's experience, hinting at his assassination, and Bill's implying he wasn't a patriot, Obama's polling numbers would be higher today. Sure, the Clintons may have "buried the hatchet" during this convention, but it's kind of hard to ignore the huge hatchet mark left in Obama's forehead.

August 28, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  32. Steve of Hohenwald TN.

Yes they did. Bill did a good job, but what ever Hillary was on, i want some of it. She did herself, and the party a great service.She has regained my respect.

August 28, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  33. Fem, Knoxville, Tenn.

Yes he did. It also confirm my believe that the so call floor fight was a creation of the shameful media we have in this country and the republican party who would rather cause division in other party than let americans discuss the issues – shame.

Fem, Knoxville TN

August 28, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  34. Barb B Mpls

They did what they had to do for the party and the country. I was impressed.

August 28, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  35. bob from traverse city michigan

I t remains to be seen Jack if the Clinton's delivered or not but I believe they sincerely delivered a genuine and honest effort. Now we'll see if the American people are intelligent enough to govern themselves or if right wing propaganda trumps common sense once again.

August 28, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  36. Caryn, Washington DC

The last two nights of the convention reminded me of why I loved the Clintons. When they're on...they are AWESOME. President Clinton totally delivered for Barack last night and I felt proud to be a Democrat. I just hope they don't say or do anything to mess it up because when they're off...I'm disgusted.

August 28, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  37. Patricia F Pine Plains NY

He not only delivered, he hit it right down the middle and out of the stadium.

August 28, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  38. Ex-Obama Democrat for McCain

They did everything humanly possible for Obama-but now it's up to him....if he wins, it is Obama's true win.....but if he loses it is Obama-and only Obama-that is to blame.
    Kathryn Amherst MA

August 28, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  39. Jean-Charles Canada

Both Bill and Hilary CLinton have done a fantastic job at the Democrats convention. They both will work hard to get Obama elected and to defeat the republican disaster.

August 28, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  40. A Bob White

Yes, Jack, the Clintons delivered. First, Hillary not only spoke to the importance, but to her own commitment, of working and voting for Obama. Then, Bill said "that makes two" of us: and nobody says it better than President Bill Clinton. This nation has been significant beneficiaries of the Clinton's values and leadership. And that is not finished. As a symptom of all that is right about the Democratic efforts and agenda, all the U.S. citizens clearly have benefited, both Republicans and Democrats. What can the Bush presidency claim?

Hays, KS

August 28, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  41. wally Ruehmann

you should have saved this question for nov 5th

August 28, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  42. Russ in PA

Pizza? Did they deliver the pizza? Who delivered the pizza?

August 28, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  43. Kay Rodrigues

Yes, the Clintons delivered for Obama, as did McCain's silly ads.

August 28, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  44. Marty

Oh, boy did they deliver. Bill Clinton's speech was very on-point and came from a very unique perspective of having been a young charismatic president who had to clean up some similar issues. In my opinion, it was back to back home runs from both Clintons. This convention has been so good for the Democratic party that even the Republicans are having a hard time finding negative things to say.

August 28, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  45. Larry, Providence, RI

Yes, the Clinton's did a gret job of delivering for Barack Obama. So, let's only hope that after 8 excruciating, neo-con suppository years, the GOOD GUYS will finally take over the Unived States again.

August 28, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  46. obamaforprez

Rose from AZ: Bill Clinton said that he was warming up for Joe Biden because Joe Biden was the NEXT SPEAKER last night. Pay attention - Barack speaks TONIGHT! Bill Clinton's remark was not an affront to Barack Obama. Give the man some credit!

August 28, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  47. Joe, Clinton Ma.

They most certainly did! The Clinton's showed that they are both behind Obama, no matter what the Republican News Reporters say.
    Fox, The Weekly Standard, and the rest of these biased minded nimrods must be eating tons of crow about how the Clinton's delivered. Even though, thats what they don't report. One would think they would jump from a sinking ship. Oh Well! let them drown.

August 28, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  48. Mary - California

Clintons did what they had to do. But they could think differently.
    They are good actors and so we will never know. Obama needs to start speaking out as to what he plans to do and connect with the American people. Not much time left before the final election.

August 28, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  49. John, Fort Collins, CO

The Clintons did a superb job of making their case for party unity and Barack Obama. We will have to wait for the exit polls in November to see how they faired with the "18 Million", but they did win me over. I have always been an Obama supporter, but until last night Bill and Hillary irritated the tar out of me. Now after 20 years of loathing, I really like them. Gotta' hand it to 'em.

August 28, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  50. Mark from San Diego

Jack:

American has moved past the Clinton's. That is why Hillary lost to a relative unknown and why, after disgracing the office, Bill could not be elected today.

If I were Obama, I would distance myself from these two rather than join hands with them. The represent everything that is cynical about politics.

Mark

August 28, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  51. Tony from Torrington

The Clintons were the Clintons. They delivered what they had to deliver, nothing more, nothing less. Their goal, as always, is their own political ambitions and in 2012, Hillary will be better prepared to defeat Obama for the nomination should he be elected in November. This won't be difficult, because Obama's socialist programs will most likely fail. And if McCain is elected, he will be 76 and considered too old by many. Either way, Hillary will be there once again to throw down the gauntlet. They are patient and will never give up.

August 28, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  52. Bob

They couldn't have done more. They made it clear that they enthusiasticaly support Obama and will do whatver he asks them to do in his campaign

The American people were first hand witnesses to their speaches in support of Obama. They put the lie to the rumors promulgated by the "talking heads" on TV that they woudn't enthusiastically support Obama.

Pat Buchanan et. al. eat your hearts out.

Bob
    Louisville, Ky

August 28, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  53. Lisa in GA.

Hell to yes!

August 28, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  54. Robert W. Brooks

Jack,

Last night Hillary Clinton showed that she has a lot of "class". I think she went above and beyond what she needed to do, an in doing so reflected a lady that should be admired and respected. We haven't seen the last of Hillary Clinton.

Robert
    Forest, Virginia

August 28, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  55. Ted from Beaverton, OR

They delivered like the Post Office compared to overnight FEDEX, but they eventually did their jobs. Why did they need so much armtwisting to get things done for their own party. I was ready for Unity on Day One of the Convention, not when the Clintons stopped whininig.
    To me the hit of the Convention was Gov Brian Schweizer of Montana. There's a guy who made some converts to being fired up Democrats. They should have had him on every night to warm up not the crowd, but the speakers. 'No wonder Obama enjoyed campaigning in Monatana.

August 28, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  56. Brian from Kingston NY

As an Obama supporter throughout the campaign, Bill and Hillary reminded me this week why I liked them so much before the primaries. I don't know how persuasive they were to the hardcore Hillary holdouts but they certainly redeemed themselves in my eyes.

August 28, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  57. Paul S. Columbia, SC

Yeah, the Clintons delivered for Obama big time. Now we will just have to wait for the details of the payoff from Obama for their blessings to leak out. Clintons don't do anything for free.

August 28, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  58. Terry in Hanover County

Yes. No one should expect more out of them. Now, please concentrate on Obama. Or better yet, start reporting more on McCain instead of giving him the usual media "Bush" pass.

August 28, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  59. Michael in New Mexico (please delete previous post)

The Clintons are in a tight spot, aren’t they? If they don’t to get behind Obama, they’ll be viewed (rightly) as selfish spoil-sports. On the other hand, an Obama victory will likely mean Hillary will have to wait a very long time for another crack at the White House. By then, who knows? Maybe the people in this country will have finally figured out that BOTH parties have crapped on us long enough and will decide they want REAL Change. I guess poor Hillary finally gets to choke on her ambition – for the next two months, no less!

August 28, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  60. shakal, forest park ga

well they did. Now the question is jack did those PUMAs got it.

August 28, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  61. Kel in Auburn, AL

Jack,

You know it. Bill's speech last night went a long was to silence many of the so-called "PUMA"s and also helped strengthen Barack's appeal with working class whites in rural areas.

If they send Bill into areas where he campaigned for Hillary, and especially into areas like rural Pennsylvania, then Obama will have a better chance of winning this than McCain.

Personally, I want to see the Dems hit the GOP with attack after attack, even though it's not a "high road" campaign style, that's the battle we're fighting now. It's time to take the Republican trash out of the white house, and never in our great nation's history has the garbage can needed to be emptied this badly.

-Kel

August 28, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  62. Joe in DE

Yes, now Obama people need to turn thier attention to McCain and discontinue faulting the Clintons. Obama needs Clinton supporters to win – word to the wise (or stupid).

August 28, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  63. Rick C.

To use a boxing analogy. It wasa two punch combination. Hillary was the "jab". The set up punch. Bill was the "overhand right" the knock-out punch. I think Senator Clinton left out of her speech (deliberately) any mention of Senator Obama's presidential worthiness because those attributes resonated much more coming from a successful former president.

Rick C.
    Sacramento, Ca.

August 28, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  64. Aaron, Michigan

The Clintons did a good job, however, there are some no matter what, will not vote for Obama, because they have a skin problem. It's sad but true. It was very nice to see history made in my lifetime.

August 28, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  65. Jamedra

Absolutely!

But I’m sure the McCain camp in conjunction with FOX will demonize any glowing complement or endorsement that comes Obama’s away!

August 28, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  66. Dave P.

Jack,

Yes they did! And in doing so regained the respect of many (including myself) that had been lost during Democratic Primaries and Caucuses. They are both a great asset to this country and to Barack Obama's campaign.

Dave
    Iowa City, Iowa

August 28, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  67. Florio, Signal Mountain TN

Jack,
    I think they both did. They delivered in spades. However, I don't really think Obama needs support as much as he needs to be agressive. The Republicans have a failed administration and a ill tempered candidate, with attack ad's that really don't matter. Obama and Biden should breeze into the White House with ease. If that ticket can't beat the winey Republicans who's best effort is to put out stories like, we are going to have a surprise tonight, yet another attack ad. Oh Boy I can't wait to see some more, such a surprise. Thank you Republican spin machine for that great surprise. Who are they going to compare Obama to this time, Howdy Doody.
    I am sure that the Clinton's support is really good for thier cause, but I think the Republicans are so out matched that if Obama looses, it will be because he let them win with their smears and attacks.

August 28, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  68. Kevin from Massachusetts

Jack, I really don't know. I couldn't bring myself to watch. Hanna Montana was on the Disney channel.

August 28, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  69. Diane, Barneveld, NY

I hate conventions and avoid watching them like the plague. I wanted to see Michelle's speech and I was so impressed that I've actually watched this convention and I've been very impressed. Most of the speeches have been out of the park and both Clintons delivered a homerun. I was even impressed with Kerry. If he had spoken like that in '04 maybe he would be president now. Those dems can sure throw a party. Makes me want to switch my party and join them for the next one.
    I think the republicans have their work cut out for them at their convention. It will be interesting to see if they can say anything besides McCain is a POW, Obama is a celeb, and that dems are leftist liberal unpatriotic flag haters that want to lose the war. I rather doubt they have anything of substance to say. They haven't so far.

August 28, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  70. DT Arizona

I have to ask...who is your moderator Jack? My postings never make their way on to your blog. It reaks of the kind of sensorship that only a right winger or Neocon could love.

Regarding Clinton..he stood and delivered...provisionally speaking that is.

August 28, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  71. Cassandra South Orange , New Jersey

Jack

Bill Clinton delivered. We will look to see what he does to help Obama over these next few months.

As for McShame... he has no honored in how he has conducted himself in this campaign. Nothing more then Karl Rove. A disgrace.

August 28, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  72. gail Centre, Al.

The Clintons have done what was expected of them, and a darn good job. It's now up to Obama to close the deal. there is not a thing he can say to get my vote, it's just not going to happen. I can't vote for a community organizer. Someone with the judgement he has plus no expericence. I'm not willing to take that risk. Our country deserves better than Obama, and Michelle. Everyone last night was waving a flag except Michelle, She is far from being a first lady for this country. there are too many negatives about them. MCcain will prevail in nov. Lets get on with the debates, then people will see the difference, and what they need to do America deserves better vote MCcain in nov.

August 28, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  73. Max Jaeger,Summerfield,Florida

Yes! Hillary made her best speech ever.
    Ofcourse,Bill was his usual eloquent self.
    My hats off to them both. They are going to be a tremendous
    help to Sen.Obama.
    Start picking out the drapes...He's moving into the White House.

August 28, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  74. Connie, Richmond, VA

Jack, the Clintons had to clean up the misinformation and doubts they were responsible for in the first place. Did they do enough to help? Yes, both are great speakers.

Obama can win but if the Clintons REALLY back up thier speech promises it will make the swiftboaters job harder.

Now, can we focus on the candidate and his BP?

August 28, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  75. Jouvanca

Jack,

It seems interesting to me that, while everyone has been waiting to see former President Clinton & Senator Clinton's speeches of support, and if they were going to personally talk about how much they love Barack Obama and take back everything they ever said about him, that no one had ever asked that about President Bush and Senator McCain in the 2000 elections when Bush trashed the senator's personal and political record. In the end, for the sake of party unity, McCain came out and put his support behind Bush – even though anyone with common sense could see that he couldn't stand him and what he had done to him in the press.

August 28, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  76. David Richards

I think Bill and Hillary did everything they could for Obama this week. I was very ompressed. I didn't think the Clintons had it them. I was wrong. But apparently it's still not enough for some. Every reason I have heard from form Hillary supporters for not voting for Obama were rebutted by both Clintons. The only reason left for former Hillary supporters to not support Obama now is race. It's really sad that they will see this country go to hell before they vote for a black man. And hell is where John McCain will take this country.

August 28, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  77. Bill, Quarryville, PA

I think there's nothing more the Clintons could have done for party unity, then the speeches they have given the last two nights. By the way Jack I am now going to the shed and getting my snow shovels out. You had nice things to say about the Clintons two days in a row.

August 28, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  78. mitchell ,arkansaw

absolutely! the democrats are united. independent and republican supporters of barack are ready to join them. the nation is ready for change. mccain and company have very little to offer. i think the georgian conflict will come back to haunt the GOP,before the election.

August 28, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  79. martin Georgia

I think he gave a great speech. Honestly what can he do more. He told everyone that as a president he is knows that Obama is ready as commander and chief.

August 28, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  80. James Kipler

The Clintons are center-stage mongers and the notoriety was the main push for this Convention performance. It's clearly a case ot "too little, too late." I'm sure they had their reasons for doing it, but I think it was to dodge the wrath of the Democratic Party. There will be more at -bats for the Clintons, to be sure. Jim Buffalo, New York

August 28, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  81. Dez

Depends. That's the diapers McCain started wearing after he and his people heard both speaches.

August 28, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  82. Zachary

They didn't just deliver great speeches. They didn't just help unify the party. They have shown that not only is Obama ready to lead, he has a team of Democrats behind him that, under Obama's administration, will lead this country back on the path of honor and integrity. Biden, the Clintons, Kennedy, Kerry, Richardson, and so many more that have been giving such HONEST and heartfelt speeches all week are all behind him 100%. Yes We Can!!

August 28, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  83. Rob

Throughout the primary I thought the Clintons tarnished their own image considerably. I never really liked Hillary but Bill disappointed me a few months ago.

Then Bill spoke last night.

I actually stopped what I was doing to applaud him when he said "People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."

He (and she) did what they needed to do, no doubt.

August 28, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  84. DR

The Clintons delivered utter hypocrisy. In my opinion this is worse than any mistake Bush has done. They have a good record of swinging any way they can win our vote. Mr. Clinton lied to ALL Americans on national TV, not once. While being a vicious opponent of B. Hussein Obama, now he wants to show himself as his best friend?

Come on now, they want us to believe that they are some sort of super-humans that are inviolable from their conscience? Give me a break....

August 28, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  85. Darr/Ohio

Of course they did. What real choice did they have? You have to put the moment in political history perspective. The Clintons did not want to be penned as being the cause of obstructing one of the single most greatest political achievements to date in American history. For those who may have forgotten, the election of an African American as the Presidential candidate for the Democratic Party.

August 28, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  86. Carol

YES THEY DID! I knew Hillary could do it, and her husband.

When the cafferty file begin the bashing of Sen. Clinton and her husband Bill, THE ONLY TWO TERM DEMOCRATIC President since Roosevelt. I said they were the best policical team in my life time. And I new she would carry on where her husband had left off and would be able to do what he couldn't acomplish.

It seems like to many men they forget where their brains are when power becomes a game. I was glad when WJC said the statement about power. (he did grow up). Because thats what happend to GWB. He had no expeperience and got slap happy. Some of his sayings and props will follow him into the history books. Just as WJC's will. Now We have another young inexperienced over- self-confident man and if he wins (and may just do that because of the Clintons) I wonder what his waterloo will be.

Come Jack, lets see you say something nice about the Clintons with... a straight face. Or better yet I WAS WRONG would be a more accurate statement.

Carol

August 28, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  87. Ersula I. Watson

Bill Clinton hit a home-run for Barack Obama's presidency. He was as much on his political game as I have ever seen him: Bill Clinton the PERFECT POLITICIAN. Now, did I believe one single word that came of his mouth was sincere? I think NOT! And yet, he did the right thing...the ONLY thing left for him to do and still foster the appearance of decency and maintain some level of statemanship among the American people. The Clinton's made the only choice available to him: she lost, get over it, move on.

August 28, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  88. X- democrat voter now for McCain

Yes its true!! Were for McCain now !!! win with McCain!!

August 28, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  89. WBM from Boston

Jack,

I'm afraid that no matter how Hillary and Bill Clinton approached their speeches this week, they were doomed from the onset. Despite former President Clinton's brilliant rhetoric and unabashed praise of Obama, the damage made over the past few months has not been healed and a treacherous scar remains. When the general election comes in November, the voting public, especially the strongest Clinton supporters, won't be remembering these speeches, but instead they will be remembering the months of irreversible attacks on Senator Obama.

WBM, Boston

August 28, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  90. Jake

Glad to see Old Slick Willy still has it. Its a shame he can't run against Geroge W. Jake Indiana

August 28, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  91. Jes (State College, PA)

Yes Jack but it was shipped priority mail so it got there a little slow.

August 28, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  92. Chike Seattle

Mr. Cafferty,

They had no option but to say what they said. Help Obama? maybe in a selfish sense. They want to continue to be relevant in the politics of this country. The Clintons motives usually unfolds as the days goes by. We'll see.

August 28, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  93. The truth hurts

The Clintons know that their political career would be over if they did not stomp for Obama. This is politics and they did what they had to do, not what they wanted to do!!

August 28, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  94. Jacqueline Lucero

I've always been a fan of Bill Clinton, even when he was bashing Obama, come on America, this is politics, whoever plays this reality game show the best, wins.

August 28, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  95. McCain boy

Yes, they did everything that could to ensure that Obama would beat Bush in an election. Too bad he's running against McCain.

The Democrats (and their loyal media) have conveniently forgotten that McCain was so independent that he was almost Leiberman'ed out of the GOP. They ignore the fact that McCain hates Bush (see reports from the 2000 GOP primary).

August 28, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  96. Ersula I. Watson

I forgot to include that I'm from Portland, Oregon

August 28, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  97. Independent4Obama

Yes they could....and Yes they did!!!!!

August 28, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  98. Jack

In a game called politics the Clintons are at the top of the game. They played their cards extremely well but I will call their bluff...

August 28, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  99. frankie

The question you should be asking is why on earth is John McCain going to air a commerical BEFORE Obama plans to deliver his nomination speech? This is an historical time for the US. Why can't he wait until tomorrow to release whatever attack ad has?

I hope it backfires on him.

August 28, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  100. Don (Ottawa)

You betcha they did! But you can be sure there is Conservative pundit that will poke holes in it and a McCain attack add in the making.

August 28, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  101. Greg, Indianapolis

Jack-The Clintons are true democrats. They know better then anyone what it means to be democrats, and they both showed it in their speeches. If you watched Hillary all year, that is her demeanor, so to all those who said she looked and sounded fake, I ask–did you watch any speeches of hers this year? Bill and Hillary nailed it. Bill did an exceptional job of lighting a fire for those in attendance and at home–it's now Obamas turn. Can he win this one?!

August 28, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  102. Dave in Leesburg, Va

Am I to not believe all the things previously said about Obama from these two along with his own Veep. Get real people. Its a show. Obama is not a leader, he just plays one on TV.

August 28, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  103. Joel, Las Vegas

No he did not, not even close, as no one believes a word they say in regards to Obama. She's still upset about the loss in the primaries, and there is no love/loss between Clinton and Obama. In one of the most boring speaches I ever heard he lost track of where he was, and like his wife, did nothing to help Obama, only to help themselves. Neither of them want Obama to be president, as she may lose her chance at being President. The Democrats are once again being outplayed at every turn by the Republican machine, and maybe for once people can realize the damages that Hillary did to Obama while campaigning. She wanted to win so much, and now McCain has a huge chance at taking it all.

August 28, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  104. Joanelle from Virginia

You people keep talking about Obama's inexperience. Can't you see where years of experience gets you? At the back of the bus with George Bush! Wake up and smell the coffee America! You got one chance to sink or float come NOV. 4TH. I plan to be floating into the White House with Obama!!!

August 28, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  105. carlos beltran

Well the Clintons are on board. It is time to move on leave the drama and focus on getting Obama elected. Clinto supporters shifting to mcCain, where the hell were you these past 8 yearas?? think what you are about to do. it is time for change. bush supposedly was experienced and look the mess he made. We need intelligent, curious, common sense candidates and that is Obama. America wake up!! Obama campaign start working on putting the message out!!!!

August 28, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  106. Shaw Darwish

The Clintons delivered and in a big way. Biden delivered. Where we are today is because of the Bush Administration and its crony Congress for the first 6 years of the Bush Administration – the Congress of Delay, Lott, Hastert, Abramoff etc. in addition to those in jail or on their way, Sen Stevens, rep. Ney, Cunningham and others like them. Heckuva job Brownie!

August 28, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  107. TXL

McCain is a great man!

August 28, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  108. Mobolaji

Jack,
    Sure they delivered alright,to their sturborn supporter who even after both(Bill and Hillary) were forced to repair the damaged they have done to Obama are voicing that she is a presidental candidate.They delivered for the next election coming up in 8 yrs if not 4 yrs.Mark my word.
    Wichita, KS

August 28, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  109. Craig

They absolutely delivered (much to my surprise) – but I keep wondering why no Democrate will mention the Keating 5 when criticizing McSame?

August 28, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  110. Bill in Maryland

Yes they did!! Anyone who thinks they didn't is getting their talking points from a faux news channel!!

August 28, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  111. Aaron WV

I can't imagine how any Clinton supporter will be able to vote for John McCain after those two speeches. How will they be able to convince their liberal friends that they must, out of spite, support a man who promises to load the Supreme Court with justices who will certainly set women back a hundred years?
    The PUMAS had better project themselves four years into a future McCain presidency, and imagine how they'll answer their daughters and granddaughters when they ask, "Tell us again why you let your spite endanger our rights?"

August 28, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  112. Beverly

In spades!!!

August 28, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  113. Mike

Two of the best speeches I've ever heard. I still can hear Hillary Clinton in the back of my head, quoting Harriet Tubman, which just sends chills down my spine. They deliver, and they delivered in a big way. They may not be happy about it, but it was sure hard to tell.

114. David

Yes, but somewhat late. it would have been great if they had buried their selfishness and stayed focus in demolishing the enemy of progress- the republicans. Now the job for the hopefuls has become very difficult.

115. CareFree

CNN's obsession with always interjecting the "pouting" Clintons has so annoyed me, that I decided to watch the convention coverage on PBS instead of a commercial station. Why to you keep insisting on interjecting them into the conversation? Most of us have moved on – both with the election and the future of our country. Yes, they acted okay, but when you get right down to it, who cares? They no longer speak for the party – lost their moral authority some time ago. Bill with his conduct in office and in his wife's campaign, and Hillary in her conduct of "entitlement" and giving the Republicans so much ammunition against Obama, whom she could not BELIEVE was out-organizing her. His campaign has been a thing of beauty and whether he wins or loses, he has changed politics in this country forever!

116. James Navarrette from Dallas, Texas

Yes the Clintons delivered for Barack Obama.

I was very impressed with Hillary Clinton's speech Tuesfay night at The Democratic National Convention. She was very presidential, gracious and motivating. The part that got me was when she asked her supporters if we were in it just for her or for the Americans that would benefit from a Democratic President.

I enthusiastically supported her during the primaries and I was a Hillary Clinton delegate at the Texas Democratic Convention last June because I really believed, no I knew in my heart that she was the more qualified, experienced, stronger candidate to beat the Republicans in November.

I was 100% surw I would vote for McCain. I know that there is no way that I would stay home on election day.

Hillary really made me ask myself,"Am I a Democrat first?"

I truly believe that I am a Democrat first and foremost, and although I may cast a tepid vote for Obama, I am not motivated by him to rally, contribute money, volunteer or campaign as I did for Hillary Clinton.I don't even want a yard sign. At this moment, if I cast my vote for him it is because I am taking my lead from President and Senator Clinton not Barack Obama. I am 75% sure now that I will vote for Obama.

Barack Obama has to define himself as more than just a motivating fresh face for change. He needs to firmly lay out his plans for America and convince us that we are not making a mistake by voting for him. And for me, He, not the Clintons, needs to get me and others to 100%.

117. Countrygirl

You know, as President Clinton pointed out, he was only a governor running for president, and that is all Ronald Regan was. I don't think either of them did too shabby a job with their "inexperience" I really don't know if anyone has the "experience" to be president. That is a whole new ball game that even the most seasoned senator or congressperson cannot be prepared for. It is all what the person has chosen to expose himself to, and surround himself with the best advisors possible. I once again will repeat.....Ronald Regan went in with no experience. Of course George W did too, but like I said, you have to surround yourself with the best of advisors. I think Obama is running for President because he wants to see things done differently, and I agree, the old way has not accomplished much in this new century. I believe he has what it takes to be a good leader. You know a good leader also has to be a good follower first, and he has proven himself in that department. I am proud to be a Democrat.....a Clinton supporter or BOTH Clinton's. Doesn't matter if you are Democrat or Republican, they all seem prone to have a different set of morals, so to speak, but all you have to do is look at the "real" American history to see nothing has changed. I am also proud to be a Democrat that is an Obama supporter.

118. Marcus Allen

Irrelevant.
    Barack either wins or looses on his own "merits" (which are awfully slim). I did like the conventioneer that said "no one should be CEO straight out of school".

119. JW Georgia

The Clintons gave ammunition to the Republicans over the course of a contentious campaign. I'd say they've delivered plenty.

120. George

Was there ever any doubt that the Clintons would put the people before themselves on this issue. Of course the doubters will find some hidden agenda in the speeches, and they will remain doubters while the rest of us move along with our lives satisfied with what we heard from Bill, and Hillary., that how very important it is for us to elect Democrats for the Presidency, and for the Senate. Here is my suggestion for doubters to think about, and that is if you are happy with the way the country is going then vote that way.

121. Kim, Dodge City KS

They both gave very moving and very polished performances. It's almost easy to forget that they are life-long politicians, and that if there wasn't something in it for them, then these speeches wouldn't have happened. They certainly did their duty for the Democratic Party's nominee, and if that's what it takes to get Obama elected, then you can say they delivered.

122. Hope

Barack Obama must win the Presidency. He no longer can blame the Clintons or McCain nor can he depend on Oprah to give him notoriety. The torch and the promise for a better tomorrow has been passed and he is responsible for delivering the Presidency to the Democratic Party. What a challenge...si se puede!

123. Fred

Bill Clinton nailed it on the head by pointing out that NO ONE comes to the oval office with experience unless they're serving a second term. And, from what we've seen; that didn't work well in Bush's case. For all the doubters, being President is a job in training. Anyone newly elected learns and get the experience while being on the job. Bill pointed out many key points and I think the party is finally united! Go OBAMA!

124. Rob in Des Moines, IA

Jack,

Can I first say that I think you have are really two different people? I can't believe two complimentary pieces about the Clintons in two days!

To answer your question: yes. I was PUMA but Hillary and Bill both helped me remember that I'm an American first. We cannot let our personal feelings interfere with our duty to return this great country of ours back to the people.

Democrats '08!

125. Jason

Yes, they did a fine job redeeming themselves after the bitter loss they suffered. I think everyone was surprised with the amount of enthusiasm Pres Clinton displayed last night. He is a talented orator. However, there are still Clinton supporters that will refuse to support Obama....and there's one reason alone to blame for that. They are refusing to support Obama because he is a black male, and they REFUSE to vote for a black male for President. They obviously are not true democrats if they cannot align with the candidate that shares all of the fundamental democratic beliefs....they are blatant racists!

126. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

I supported Clinton, but their performances are just that, a performance, in case Obama loses. However, they delivered because they are both terrific public speakers!

Hillary's speech the other night was her first of the next presidential campaign – just in case.

Bill is running interference; the real proof of the puddin' will be how much they actively campaign for Obama and the other party candidates.

127. James_MO

Bill Clinton was on the money with his speech. John "drill here, right now" McCain is not ready to lead the nation. His ideas of corporate tax holidays, a limited broken healthcare system and an absurdly confrontational appraoch to every crisis that comes our way shows he is thoroughly unfit to lead our country.

Obama is young, visionary and wise. With the pick of Biden he has shown himself to be building a team of vision and experience.

This is what America needs: a vision of where the nation must go, and an experienced team to get us there.

128. prosanto

Reluctantly Yes! When are we going to stop glorifying looks and speeches and pay some attention to substance. Jesus did not do any of it yet, He delivered salvation to all who accepted. In fact He was a Palistinian even though West presents Him as blue eyed, golden brown haired white male. Let us face the truth. He must have been Black haired, black eyed brown male.

129. Derek

yes. they said the rights words and the right message not only to their supporters and to the democrats, but the the republican party. Hopefully everyone can be on the right side of history by electing Barack Obama in November.

130. Wendy in Zanesville OH

No question – it clinched the deal for me. I've been undecided since the end of the primaries, but when Hillary and Bill spoke I knew that the stakes were too high. John McCain truly has been wrong on all the things we Hillary supporters worked so hard to achieve – and Barack Obama has been right.

131. Michael Rowady

Jack, here is my only concern. Do you ever notice how the Democrats like Hilary, Bill and Joe Biden call John McCain their "good" friend and refer to him as an honorable man. Wanna bet that you will not find ONE speaker at the Republican convention saying a kind word about Barack Obama. I think Bill Clinton did a fine job, but was it the homerun needed to win the simpletons of rural Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania? Hell no.

132. Robin Old Bridge NJ

The Clintons did a SUPER job but I wonder what it's going to cost Obama down the road.
    As for the experience issue, look at that fat lot of Republican experience we have in power now and look at the shape of our country.

133. Ken Thomas

The Clintons:

Ready to put Obama six feet under one minute, kissing his ass the next.

Phonies to the max!

134. Charles Agyemang

They did deliver! I think it was smart on Bills part to remind everyone that the same 'too young and inexperience' argument which are currently being leveled against Obama were first advanced against him (Bill). The grumpy old troll and his party do not have anything new to offer the American people – same policies, same negative ads and same Rove approach to politics!

135. diane lee

i will vote for obama. i think the clintons did an excellent job.

136. Rich @ Frisco, TX

Hillary "I remember landing under sniper fire" and Bill "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" once again masterfully pulled-off incredible soundbites with, undoubtedly, as much truthfulness.

For those who vote emotionally (and, I believe, this is often based upon TV snippets) the Clintons hit a Major League Homerun.

For those who vote with reason and analysis, then No, it was just more of the same incredible mind numbness from Billary.

137. Eric

Can't wait until Obama gives his speech tonight! You will be watching the next President of the United States. Not to mention a President that knows how to talk. 8 years of listening to Bush pretend to talk and embarrass us. Ugh! McCain is worse than Bush. When he talks I fall asleep because he is so boring! At least Bush was funny in the way he bobs his head like a turkey when he talks. McCain finished at the bottom of his class. Come on people stop voting for stupid candidates. Enough already. Lets try someone that is intellectual for once!

138. Marlo

I believe that Clinton "delivered" Obama, but some of his comments were backhand, for the most part. For example "...with Obama's intution and Biden's experience we will take back the white house etc" I am asking myself was he telling the truth then( during the primaries when he said he lacked experience) or is he telling the now? I think he did what was asked ( unite the party) but I don't feel the honesty was there.

139. Billy Gibbons (TX)

I just wish Jesse Jackson was still around to see this momentous event....

140. Mike, Inside the Beltway

Did Bill Clinton deliver? You better believe it! So much so that there are probably a lot of people (myself included) that wish HE was the one running for president. I suppose you'll now gripe that Clinton was TOO good.

141. Rich

I think that after "No way, no how, No McCain!" and the floor nomination from the NY delegation AND "The third time is not a charm!" AND "we’re not going to reward the Republicans about the last failed 8 years by giving them 4 more...thanks but no thanks." I am not really sure how the party could be anymore unified unless Bill, Hillary, Obama and Joe just become one single person–so, I think it is time for the Republicans to let go of that hope and stop trying to beat a dead horse. This is something THEY planted after Senator Clinton's speech in June and they have kept fanning it. The craziest was Murphy last night on a competing network saying that it was "his belief" that President and Senator Clinton were going to vote for McCain–I mean really–what do they call "jumping the shark" in politics?

No way, no how, No McCain!! The third time is not a charm!! And….!!!

August 28, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  142. Rashawn

The Clinton's did a lot to repair their images over the last few days.

August 28, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  143. Kareen Simon-Eichmann

Obama wanted the job. I believe the delivery is on his shoulders. I do not think the Clintons owe him anything.

August 28, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  144. Michelle

Jack – The Clintons did deliver for Obama; one of the toughest things for them to have to do – getting the pom-poms out in the face of defeat for a subject [politics] that's truly theirs. What disgusts me is the ignorance of the Hillary supporters who will not even consider Obama, but who jump directly to McCain. This is classic spitefulness, Barack and Hillary were so closely aligned that one could not logically get to McCain from Hillary. Let them defect, McBush will take care of them...

Michelle from PA

August 28, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  145. Eric - Atlanta

I think the Clintons spoke the right words but said Hillary is better, elect her in four years. With the Clintons, you have to look past the words to get to their intentions. They were speaking so not to spoil Hillary's chance next time. How do you go on about candidates X and Y one day then endorse candidate X the next? It's all about legacy.

August 28, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  146. Brian Wicks-Woodland Hills CA

Absolutely. "The third term is not a charm" and "The power of example versus the example of Power" will resonate like JFK's "Ask not what your country....

August 28, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  147. Earl Desch

Bill and Hillary certainly did deliver. And why not? The Bush presidency will certainly be ranked as the worst presidency in American history. There is not one thing which George Buch has done that can be praised. One of the rarest people in this country is someone who actually supports the Bush administration. God bless the Clintons. No, they haven't been perfect, but they are clearly more in touch with the needs of American people than George Bush or his father ever was.

Earl Desch
    Kansas City, MO

August 28, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  148. dennis north carolina

August 28, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  149. Tim Hutchins - FL

Bill and Hillary both think BO will lose this election; that's why they have marched back in to steal the spotlight for the next election. However, that won't work because Hillary will be up towards 70 years old and not acceptable. Say all you like about racism or sexism, it's still a fact that younger people think of old folks as out of it even tho that is often not the case. Years of living brings knowledge of life that no younger person can understand. Still, Hillary will be an old woman in 4 years (she's close now) and all the face lifts in the world will not fool American voters - same with Pelosi.

August 28, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  150. Margaret

I say "Amen", Brother Cafferty! Hillary and Bill rocked this Party! Now let's put Sister Hillary in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan and Pennsylvania, and Brother Bill in Arkansas, Virgina, West Virginia, Georgia and both of them in Florida for the next 2 months, and we have a landslide in the works for Obama!

August 28, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  151. Calvin - Healdsburg, CA

Mark of Asheville, NC (where my father lives) said that something about Obama's abysmal lack of experience. What the heck is he talking about? Lack of experience as president? Has John McCain been president? Lack of experience as a senator? Obama's record shows his grasp of economics, foreign policy, and social ethics for this country. No war experience. Harry Truman never had that experience. It seems that for a man to be president, he must have had some experience as a soldier. While that is a big deal, because veterans potentially make the ultimate sacrifice, that willingness does not speak to their suitability to be president.

I must disagree with Mark. While what the Clintons did may not necessarily make a difference, what will make a difference is Obama's character, judgment, leadership ability. Yes, it will work, and he will be elected. John McCain is same old stuff, different day.

August 28, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  152. Joe R.Smith

I think both Clintons did what they had to do in order to continue in leadership roles of any relevance within their party. I think Bill went a long way towards rehabilitating the hits on his own rep which he took during the primary campaign, and Hillary now steps forward an even more formidable force than she was a year ago... If Obama and Hillary were only now facing off- I don't think he would pull it off. So she comes out stronger.

Both Clintons will work as hard for Obama as he wants... That being said, I don't think either one of them will cry if Obama loses this election – BUT after this week, I also don't think they will cry if he wins. I think Hillary has come to accept running in 2016- if that is what it comes to- without the rancor on her part that seemed suspect previous to this week. The Clintons came out okay- as they always do.

Throw enough of that stuff on the wall, some is sure to stick. Those two have mastered the art. If it were only an Olympic event!

153. jim s

Jack:

Better than Fed-X too....

Let the games begin....

Between football and the political season I couldn't be happier.

154. Sanjay from San Diego

After last nights speech by Bill Clinton ( I wish he was running for President), Obama, With the compliments he got from the Clinton's, he should be able to cruise to the White House.

155. Patty

Well of course they did but what else could they do when people like you Jack and other Obama supporters said their legacies and futures would be destroyed if they didn't. They were branded racists, belittled, dismissed as "the woman" and now you want them to deliver for Obama....WHEN will Obama deliver for himself and unite the party and not leave it to the Clintons? Seems he is the lesser of the candidates in my opinion and should have been on the short list for VP just with the exact same treatment he gave to Hillary.

156. Gladys

Fabulous!!

157. fanofann

I watched the Arkansas delegation stand up, swear their devotion to their first family , the Clintons, and then the entire delegation voted for Barack Obama....I have been on Cloud 9 ever since.
    The whole process was supposed to be so terrible, but here it was, and it was magical! A celebration of all the states and all the people and all the voters and all those snowy nights watching Wolf and Jack
    Then New Jersey went 100% for Obama, and it was getting closer.
    I was in tears already, and then I saw my New York delegation. They looked like a river flowing into the sea, there was Schumer and Patterson and Rangel and of course, Hillary herself. I wasnt the only one who had been crying.
    God Bless America. Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.

158. Pugas-AZ

If talking could put on us top and stay there we should be unbeatable.
    Never have so many said so much about everthing. Let's get out the earplugs and prepare to vote with our minds instead of our feel-good reactions to the endless babbeling from the political cess pool.

159. Angel Rodriguez

Yes the Clinton's delivered! Bill & Hillary nailed it! They both did a great job!

160. VJ - Oswego

The one thing they left out was that since Hillary lost FAIR and SQUARE, Obama was the only choice to be the president for the people, elected by the people, and to govern fairly the people....on day one.

161. Lisa from Missouri

Aboslutly he did! It was wonderful! This is history in the making and we're all apart of it and we're all excited!!

162. sigmund

is it not funny that after the Republicans minster put out a call to the Evangelicals to pray to god to open the flood gates of heaven and let it for rain on sen. Barack Obama speech a hurricane now looks to rain on their convention it just goos to show the republicans call them selfs a party of the church but if you read your bible you know god don't like ugly and you are not to do wrong to your brother or call death to your brother i think thy need to stop calling god in all their ungodly doings because god is love and the republicans know nothing about that

163. Jan Madison, WI

They absolutely delivered! I was really turned off by both Clintons during the primary season. They showed the class that I would have expected from them during the convention. I thank both Bill and Hillary for doing their best to help defeat John McCain and restoring faith in the Democratic party. I would even now consider supporting Hillary for President at a future time...

164. Terence C. Rivera

Welcome back Mr and Mrs Clinton..It's ironic that her best speech by far was the one she gave at the DNC endorsing Obama..If and when she does run again for office..this is my personal advice..Mrs Clinton leave the so called "Expert Advisors" at home..You have great instincts and intelligence to make your own mark...

Aloha

University of Hawaii

August 28, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  165. Darryl

And I Care What The Clintons Say, Why?

August 28, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  166. KarenB in Polk County, Florida

They said the words and made the gestures. Can't help but wonder
    what was the "incentive" offered.

August 28, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  167. Randy Myers

Hillary should be our nominee and Obama should be our VP candidate. In eight years under Hillary's toolage he would then be truly ready. This is how it would have turned out if there was even close to fair media coverage. I have long been a CNN viewer and listener in my car, but over the past months you have proven yourselfs to be the single most biased news organization on the planet. And, Mr. Cafferty, you should be ashamed of yourself. Everything I read from you has the stink of George W. Bush on it. Poor sir, very poor.

I believe that Bill and Hillary did everything in their power to assist in getting Obama elected. They proved to me and hopefully to most Americans the stuff that they are made of; putting our country first.

I wish him luck. If he wins he can thank the Clinton's, if he looses it is definateley his own fault.

August 28, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  168. Joe Rogers

Hi Jack! from sunny St. Petersburg, FL

Yes, I think the Clintons did a superb job of delivering for Barack

Obama....and for America! The roar of the crowd had me adjusting

my hearing aid....tonite I think I may have to hit the "mute" button

on the television so the expected ROAR from tonite's stadium

crowd doesn't knock out two or three circuits on tha aid.

August 28, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  169. Nora

In June, Obama said that lawmakers should inject another $50 billion immediately into the sluggish U.S. economy. Just where is that money going to come from? More taxes, that's where. How can you believe Obama will cut taxes with the economic condition in this country?

August 28, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  170. Leroy

Jack,

Yes. Senator Hillary Clinton and former President Bill Clinton did an outstading job! They seemed sincere and committed to the success of the democratic party. Moreover, they rallied around Senator Obama's pick of Joe Biden for V.P.. Senator Obama will need their continued support in order to defeat Senator McCain.

On Tuesday and Wednesday nights, CNN finally stopped trying to sensationalize the convention; by focusing on discord and infighting. It seems that some analyst, like James Carville, could only be positive once the Clinton's took center stage.

I hope CNN will continue to be a journalistic leader by presenting unbiased, clear and expert analysis and avoid the tempation to create conflict to boost ratings. It's unfair to both the democratic party or the republican party; not to mention your viewers, who rely on CNN to stay informed.

Respectully
    Leroy

August 28, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  171. sk

You the media got him select, now go and elect him.

August 28, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  172. Will from Gaithersburg, MD

Two words: absolutely remarkable!

August 28, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  173. Ryan White

Yes I do think the Clintons came through. But I take it at FACE value. They had know choice in order to appear respectable to party and clear a debt honorably. To be honest I think how Mr. Obama handled it tells us more about him. Really interesting how Mr. Obama pulled this off and showed repectability, perseverence and honor to his respected party leaders.. This will play well among all Democrats and Independents and I think the Repulicans better start getting nervous because I don't see this playing out well for them down the road.

August 28, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  174. ken

When are you the candidates and current elected officials going to hold a real discussion on the national debt and the security issues it posses?

August 28, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  175. David Bakody

Jack, there is not one leader on the face of this earth who would want to follow Bill Clinton on stage for any reason, Did he deliver, you bet he did and think if he hits those Battle States with the same punch with Hillary following or leading there will be fire. And do not look for either of them to go too far away. He was watched around the world, I received a call from Hong Kong this morning stating WOW what a speech.

August 28, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  176. Mark

Yes they did. They are awesome. I love them so much and I'm sick of all the media fixation on psychodrama.

I voted for Obama, but I never voted against Hillary, just for Obama. The Clintons are incredible leaders, thinkers, and people.

They did wonderful, making their honest case for Democratic ideas.

August 28, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  177. Jim

I think the answer to the question of whether Bill Clinton delivered for Barack Obama, depends entirely on the number and attractiveness of the female interns waiting backstage.....

August 28, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  178. Scott Hines

Sure, they delivered. But at a very dear cost; to the party, and their own reputations.

It remains to be seen who got the better end of this deal.

The Clintons, or John McCain

It sure as hell wasn't Obama.

Scott Hines
    Janesville WI

August 28, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  179. To the Altar

It is not up to the Clinton's to carry Obama to the altar of Presidency. He is not a sacrificial lamb. He's the nominee, let him run it.

The Clinton's as always did a great job. Obama needs to sell himself and should have before now. He'll need to work on his wife as well and market her. She didn't seem to please in her facial expressions when Hillary was speaking and had a crazy look when Bill was on stage.

Get over the Clinton's, they're the best and will go down in history. The Kennedy's are washed old news and they're trying to protect their legacy and are jealous of Bill and Hillary.

Obama needs to tell us what he's going to do or it's McCain all the way. No more speeches and scripted conversations or NoObama.

August 28, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  180. No BS

As far as I am concerned , the jury is still out on that subject. I will have a better response on Nov. 5

August 28, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  181. ajks

No, they did what they had to do to protect their own political careers and legacies.

August 28, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  182. Sheila - Missouri City

Both of the Clintons did a great job on behalf of the Democratic Party and Barack Obama. They love their country and know, as I do, that the choice is clear - No Way, No How, No McCain!!!

August 28, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  183. Jan Davis, Knoxville, TN

Yes I'm relieved they both did. It was very nice of Hillary to move for acclamation on Obama. Also, I really think President Clinton's speech last night was absolutely fantastic and I have tried to put the things he said during the primary out of my mind.

Hope he travels extensively with Barack to win this critical election.

August 28, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  184. Jeremiah, Detroit, Michigan

I can't help but get the get the feeling that the Clinton's were kind of being forced into making up and playing nice. I have a hard time believing that Barack and the Clinton's are going to be on great terms behind the scenes, it's like that co-worker you just cant stand but for the company's sake you put on your best smile and deal with it. Did they come through? Yes, but it probobly tortured them to do so.

August 28, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  185. Eric from Phoenix

Jack,
    They delivered like it like it was the tastiest pizza on the face of this earth on a long hard day with no meal.

August 28, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  186. Joe Unger, San Francisco

Judging from some of the comments here, it doesn't matter what the Clintons do. Some of these Obama supporters hate them so much they have no intention of letting the Democratic party achieve unity.
    The problem with the Democratic party is not the Clintons but the haters in the party.

August 28, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  187. Paul, Louisiana

I think they finally did what was necessary. 🙂 I give them a thumbs up for their speeches. I believe Obama said it right when he stated that Mr. Clinton put others before himself in that speech. I don't think he really likes Obama too much... But he did it anyways.

August 28, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  188. Wayne Blackburn

Hi Jack,

Yes I do. And, I'll go so far as to say my respect for both Clinton's has been restored. Now Hillary's supporters need to shift gears, and get behind Barack Obama. They need to understand how any non-voting, or voting for John McCain as a "disgruntled strategy" would be a grave error.

And to all the feel good for Barack votors out there, that passion is not worth a damn if you don't go vote! Get your butts to the poles without fail.

August 28, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  189. Bob, California

Jack, they delivered like the true democrats that they are. Now it's up to Obama to deliver and show the nation who he really is. We still don't know him. Is he the man who spent 20 years as a member of a black liberation church whose minister spoke words of racism and hate or is he the proverbial good guy with the white hat?

August 28, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  190. candy

The Clintons more than delivered. I don't think I could have the grace under fire that those 2 had– particularly with Obama and his camp race bating escapades. Unfortunately, it is likely that Obama and his dubius associations with Tony Rezko, Rev. Wright, Bill Ayers and Father Phlieger, Biden the mouth and Michelle his wife will be his undoing.

August 28, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  191. Marni Hefner

My name is Marni and I am from Toronto, Ontario. I LOVE US politics and I am an enthusiastic Hilary Clinton and Bill Clinton fanatic. I could not be more encouraged, more emotional and more motivated than watching these two in action at the convention. My dream of working at the white house can't come true as I am Canadian, but I think that Hilary did an amazing job for Obama, while leaving herself open for the future in the white house. As a mom, and a woman, she is my hero and I hope that anyone watching her would see that she was genuine in backing Barak. As for Bill, well what can I say... even if he didn't mean a word of his speech, you wouldn't know it... That was a grand slam, 3 point shot, hole in one, touchdown, if I have ever seen one. Did they pull through for Obama, well I can tell you Obama won't win without them... So I think they did an awesome job... but that is just an opinion from a girl north of the border....

August 28, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  192. Donna

Tell me "why" we had to have a Hillary night and a Bill night. Hillary lost the election, move on, get over it. It's not her time and Bill's time is over and done!

August 28, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  193. Charles Berry

Jack

With the Clinton's class act, Hillary sealed her presidential ambitions for the 2016 nomination of the democratic party to become the first woman to be selected as the democrat's nomination for the Presidency of the United States of America.

August 28, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  194. chris

one more point: it only serves to embarass one's own family and dishonor the memory and sacrifices made by true heroes against real racism to blindly accuse others of being racist for the sole reason of not voting for obama

August 28, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  195. Gregg from El Paso TX

Yes they did! Not only did they do good, they changed my opinion of them. I believe they are sincere in their support (now), and Bill we be an asset... not an a_ _. However, I think the real reason for their turn-a-round is because Hillary still has her eye on the White House in four or eight years.

August 28, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  196. Chris Nand

Like anything out there Jack if the product is good it will sell on it's own,you don't need to have big names endorsing it.If the American voters look at record of the Republicans over the last 8 years the choice should be simple.An outsider looking in.Chris in British Columbia,Canada.

August 28, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  197. GiGi

Yes, they said all the right words, and I hope you get off their backs now.

August 28, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  198. Harry from PA

They delivered in every way imaginable. Bill Clinton is amazing, his speech powerful and motivating. He pointed out everything that needed to be said, and used examples that showed America what republican power did to this nation, and the positive and leading power that democrats had and will have again. Bravo, we can make a change, now is the time, way to bring us in former mr. President!

August 28, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  199. Amy Camus

Bill Clinton did. Hillary mmmh.....I am still mulling it over. It isn't about what she said but how she delivered the message. Not very convincingly, especially when one recalls how she campaigned for herself.

August 28, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  200. ELL

Jack,

Bill nailed it! He provided the memorable sound bites which had been missing from the convention. Hillary has been servicable. Her demeanor suggests that she is still in a state of denial. She and her 18 million supports need to come to grips with the reality that she lost the democratic primaries due to her own mis-steps and overconfidence. Barack out worked her. But, in the end, Barack didn't win the nomination such as Hillary lost it.

ELL

August 28, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  201. Larry

Personally I feel the Clinton's showed just how classey they really are. I salute them.

August 28, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  202. LIZ WILLIAMS

Jack, I believe they did it!!!!!!! WOW!!!! and they meant it too I think!!!!

August 28, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  203. Desmond SG (Calgary, AB)

Jack
    Mr. Clinton nailed it in words that reminded me of another famous president, JFK: “People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of power”.

From an outsiders view of the USA, the sad example that the Republicans have set for the last 8 years, with torture, rendition, tapping phone lines, etc, I hope that Obama can bring back the dream of real freedom your founding fathers really had.

August 28, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  204. Adam, IN

Jack,

Did the Clinton's have a choice? I'm sure they understand our country can't handle 4 more years of McSame but I think they are mainly concerned with protecting their own image and Hillary's chance of getting nominated down the road.

August 28, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  205. Tom Gunter

I think Bill and Hillary delivered, not just for Barak but, for all americans.

August 28, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  206. tww

The Clintons delivered for the Clintons......HILLARY 2012.....
    The saga continues..........

August 28, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  207. Dee Davie, FL

Deliver? The Clintons not only delivered for him with a “priority mail” stamp, they also added some gumption and promise to the slogan “What Can Brown Do for You?!!

Dee
    Davie, FL

August 28, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  208. Ideb NY

What I don't understand is why is it the Clinton's job to sell Obama? Should'nt he be able to do that for himself, otherwise what does it say about his capability to actually do the job. Why is the burden on the Clinton's? Obama won the primary and now it's his job to get the Clinton supporters to get behind his ticket and this should be seen as a test of his leadership in how well he accomplishes that. Will Bill or Hillary Clinton be there the first time he faces a challenge should he be elected? He won the primary and now it's his job to win the election and not mommy Hilary to deliver the 18 mil votes to him. I am really sick of how everyone has made it the Clinton's job to make Obama win.

August 28, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  209. Sam Rose

They finally showed true "Leadership" and that they care about
    ALL OF US–not just them–

August 28, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  210. jwr53

By the way, the Gallup tracking poll shows how well they delivered. That poll (the first to factor in the two Clinton speeches) has Obama up by 6 today, a bump of 5 points from yesterday.

It's all up to Obama now. The stars of the Democratic party have given him a tremendous boost...let's see what he does with it.

SF Bay Area, CA

August 28, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  211. Gigi in Alabama

This is to Gail in Centre, Alabama. If you had looked just a little harder you would have seen many, many people not waving American flags. Those flags are handed out to delegates. Michelle did not wave a flag because she did not have one . . . neither did Hillary, Chelsea and the rest of the dignitaries watching Pres. Clinton speak.

August 28, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  212. Wil Davis from Palm Springs CA

Yes, I definitely believe that the Clintons delivered for Barack Obama. I'm finally glad to hear that republicans admit that the Clintons scares them, lest we forget, Bill Clinton singlehandledly dismantled the republican party, starting with their speaker Newt Gingrich. After last night, the republican party breathed a huge sigh of relief that Hillary Clinton is no where on the democratic ticket. We all saw first hand how the Clintons can energize the democrats to action...who on the republican side do you have that can do that.

I've listened to the arguments about Obama not having the experience to be the Commander in Chief. Well, the reality is this, the president wears many hats, and commander in chief. is only one of them The failed diplomacy of this adminstration shows that not only was he inexperienced as the commander in chief, but also too stubborn to listen to those that were more experienced, such as the commanders on the ground. I hear that the surge is working, let's call this surge exactly what it really is, a build up of forces that should have been there in the initial invasion of Iraq.

August 28, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  213. Victoria

The Clinton's had no other choice but to do the right thing and that means throwing their support behind Obama. Well done. You can say a lot about the Clinton's but one thing is for sure. They deliver when Americans need them to.

August 28, 2008 at 4:31 pm |
  214. Pablo, Charles Town, WV

I would say the Clintons delivered promise for Obama among Democrats. However, they said Obama was too inexperienced during the primaries, but has somehow underwent a conveniently expedient metamorphosis into Mr. Ready since then. There are two words for that: Wishy-Washy! I hope they get it now that it is bad karma to denegrade your Democratic allies in pursuit of higher office. They didn't learn anything from the Bush-McCain debates in 2000. If anything, they emulated them. Sad.

August 28, 2008 at 4:31 pm |
  215. David K in New York, NY

I had been very disappointed in both Bill and Hillary for months and thought Bill might have permannetly tarnished his legacy and was determined to never support a Clinton for office ever agin. However, Bill did a magnificent job of making the case as to why we must elect Obama. He has redeemed himslf in my eyes.

Of course I really want to see him out on the campaign trail where undecided voters will be listening to him and where he can really deliver for the Democratic party. If he does that and Obama loses I would be in Hillary's camp when she eventually runs. But if their appearances at the convention were just for show I will be lost to them forever.

August 28, 2008 at 5:32 pm |
  216. Kay

No. Great speeches, but deliver what? Hillary for President.

August 28, 2008 at 5:32 pm |
  217. Oliver-Canyon Lake

I believer so; both Clintons seemed sincere in their support for Obama, now it is up to him; by the way John Kerry was a great attack dog for Obama at the convention!

August 28, 2008 at 5:32 pm |
  218. SANGER. TX

the answer is yes! they delivered . The clinton's are a class act!!!

To anyone who says they didn't, what did you expect for the clintons to kneel for obama to bend over so the clinton's can kiss his ass. No freaking way. I'm voting REPUBLICAN, GO JOHN MCCAIN!!!!

August 28, 2008 at 5:32 pm |