August 11th, 2008

Re-electing your own member of Congress?

ALT TEXT
(PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

If Americans have finally had enough, and they should have, the current members of Congress are in a lot of trouble. Or are they?

The public already thinks Congress, which is now on vacation, is doing a pretty lousy job. And there's a new Gallup poll shows that only 36% of registered voters say most members deserve to be re-elected. That's among the lowest ratings ever in this poll. Gallup found similar ratings in only three other election years: 1992, 1994 and 2006. All three of these elections brought about big changes in the make-up of Congress, twice switching control from one party to another.

But here's the problem: although most people are disgusted with Congress, they often don't think their senator or congressman is part of the problem – which is why we end up with the same weasels down there for years and years. This Gallup survey shows that 57% of those polled say their own congressman deserves to be re-elected. How is that possible?

Nevertheless, 2008 could bring significant turnover in Congress, especially in an election where "change" has become an important theme. Even though Democrats control both houses of Congress now, there are signs that this will be a better year for Democrats than Republicans.

Want to know why we have the dysfunctional, corrupt government we have? 35% of those polled don't even know if their representative is a Democrat or a Republican.

Here’s my question to you: Will you vote to re-elect your own senator or congressman?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Lenny from New York writes:
Jack, My congressman replaced an incumbent Republican in 2006; I intend to vote for him again. However, I think Americans have been too complacent in electing the people who are supposed to represent us, myself included. I have vowed to not let that happen again, I intend to be more involved in the political process and hope others do the same. If we watch the store, there will be less candy getting stolen.

Debbie from Kingsport, Tennessee writes:
Dear Mr. Cafferty, The congressional incumbents on my ballot will be solidly Republican and I am now staunchly Democratic. I will definitely be voting in November to remove these people from office. At this point, I'm ready to vote for the proverbial yellow dog rather than support a member of the Republican Party of George W. Bush and Dick Cheney.

Vincent writes:
You must be kidding! I got a phone call from my House representative two weeks ago. It was a conference call by him with random constituents. I was encouraged to ask a question. My question was why he and his fellow congressmen were always on recess and not doing the people's work. The conference call was terminated before my question came up. So I e-mailed him with the same question. Never got an answer. So I e-mailed again. Never got an answer. My congressman's name: Steny Hoyer, Majority Leader in the House of Representatives!

Jim writes:
I agree with you, but I like my congressman. I will vote to re-elect him because his votes in the House reflect my beliefs.

Dan from Pennsylvania writes:
Not on your life would I vote for any incumbent who served in the last eight years. I would consider myself a traitor to my country to reward the people responsible for this mess.

Tony from New Orleans writes:
Let’s see: if you're a Republican, you have Senator David Vitter. If you're a Democrat, you have Congressman William Jefferson. Man, that's a tough one.

Filed under: 2008 Election • Senate and Congress
  1. Robert C Lowenthal

Congress needs to get the message that the good of the country comes before the good of their party. The best way to to this is to vote against any incumbent Senator or Congressperson, regardless or whether they are Republican or Democrate. There are no members of Congress in Alabama worth saving. AMERICA FIRST.

August 11, 2008 at 1:51 pm |
  2. Tom in New Hope, MN

Definitely not! He is a George Bush clone named Norm Colman. He does not deserve nor has he earned the right to be re-elected. All you have to do is look around and see what shape the country is in and it is clear we need to clean out all incumbents and start anew if we hope to change this country back to its glory days.

Vote wisely!

August 11, 2008 at 1:53 pm |
  3. Dave of Oregon

I have a great deal respect for my congressman until he seems to cower over the question of whether he supports the Kucinich platform of this Bush administration. I must disvern whether Conrgessman Wu is merely uttering words or does he really support Kucinich remains to be seen!

August 11, 2008 at 1:54 pm |
  4. Craig

It does not matter who is the incumbent, I have had enough. I am not voting for incumbents!!!!

August 11, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  5. Warren - Detroit, MI

On the political rating scale of one to ten (one meaning failing, ten meaning wonderful), congress gets an "F". Yes, I know "F" isn't on a scale of one to ten, but I can't take anymore of these Fascists.

Democracy went out the window with the two party system.

August 11, 2008 at 1:59 pm |
  6. circy in New Mexico

Not this time, nor the next, nor the next, etc. Until they realize what the voters are telling them.

August 11, 2008 at 2:00 pm |
  7. Jackson from Rome, GA

I say vote the bums out. All of them.

August 11, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  8. Steve of Hohenwald TN.

August 11, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  9. Candy West Virginia

Absolutely! I would vote for the devil as long as no republican won. I honestly don't think congress is doing a bad job, they are being thwarted by the repuglicans in the house and the president. They've had some very good proposals, they just didn't have enough support to get them through.

August 11, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  10. Erin in Michigan

Given Carl Levin's role in creating the debacle that would be the Michigan non-Primary, it causes me to wonder whether the longer one is in office, the more caught-up he becomes in petty grievances and long-standing feuds (I hadn't realized we in Michigan were at war with New Hampshire and Iowa) .

I have to believe a fresher set of eyes would have seen the big picture, and putting an entire state's voice in jeopardy during a presidential election year is a gamble a new Senator would not have dared.

August 11, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  11. Mark - Asheville, NC

Yes, I will. My congressman has not jumped on the Obama bandwagon so I will vote for him, and my NC Senate candidate hasn't either. Ordinarily I always vote Dem, but this year I so resent the DNC's installation of their preselected nominee, that I am voting for other races in part, as a reaction to this. I will not vote for any Dem who goes along with this undemocratic charade.

August 11, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  12. Fish, Richfield, MN

No it's time for change. Everything has to be new this time because we need fresh air and free of pollution.

August 11, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  13. James from Virginia

yes because jim webb has done alot for the soldiers. something mcshame has not done.

August 11, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  14. Ed Reed

Unfortunately, due to gerrymandering by both the parties, we don't get a choice, which is why incumbents get re-elected over 90% of the time.

Ed Reed
    Port Aransas, Tx

August 11, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  15. Jackie in Dallas

I didn't vote for the ones representing me NOW. I voted against them, so NO, I definitely will not vote to re-elect anyone since they have been doing a pretty poor job of representing me!

August 11, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  16. Chad , Los Angeles

I will definitely consider electing someone new, as long as they are not GOP! A few more fresh democrats who want to do some actual work would benefit Congress and the Senate enormously! There are too many politicians who get re-elected only cause they are well known, not necessary for doing anything good lately!

August 11, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  17. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Hi Jack

Nope. We have a republican female senator that ranks 93rd in the senate. THAT IS RANK !!!

Hopefully we can get the incumbent out and get someone in who will work for us and not their own personal agenda. We're hopeful, but these politicians have all kinds of tricks up their sleeves.

Vote the incumbents out !!!!

Thanks

Barbara

August 11, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  18. Emma, San Jose, CA

Yes, because he is a Democrat.

August 11, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  19. David, Orlando, FL

No he voted for immunity for the telecoms criminal activity.

August 11, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  20. Addalou Davis-Sacramento, CA

We can't! He is not running because he was caught in the Abramov scandal–at least we are getting rid of the crook at last! (Hopefully he and his wife will be going to jail). Only problem is, the guy who is running is worse than the guy we just got rid of! I'm volunteering at Democratic Headquarters to try to elect someone we can trust, a gulf war vet.

August 11, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  21. Mike Nunn - Hot Springs, Ar.

Sure, he has done a fine job for us. As all good congressman do – they try to take care of their own. The way our system works you will not get much until your guy has been there for a hell of a long time. No use putting some new dude in there who will have to start all over again. Once we change the system, then we can perhaps change how we vote. Not until then.

August 11, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  22. Aaron, Denver CO

perhaps; if they are Democrats.

August 11, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  23. Richard Boley

Absolutely not. If my wife admits that she voted for "one of them" she is gone too!

August 11, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  24. Donna Colorado Springs,Co

Unfortunately, democrats aren't in large numbers in Colorado. I live in a republican based, christian area, with James Dobson thinking he's in control of everyones thoughts......except for mine! The dems are terrible outnumbered here and usually they get beaten by the ruling party here in Colorado. I do what I can with my vote, but it's usually not good enough.

August 11, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  25. Tom, The Heart of Democracy, Avon, Maine

I'm replacing Republican Senator Susan Collins with Democrat Tom Allen. Collins has aided and abetted bush's litany of felonies that Professor Jonathan Turley of Washington University Law School can recite for you.

August 11, 2008 at 2:13 pm |
  26. Jayne

I'm happy with my Democratic representative. He's done a good job during his first term in office. The Republican Senator must go, though. The government can't operate if Republicans in the Senate are going to filibuster every bill that comes to the floor. One of their last acts before vacation was to filibuster and stop a vote on heating subsidies for poor people. Once winter comes to the northeast we'll be stacking frozen dead people like cordwood.

August 11, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  27. Jed in Redding, CA

I'm voting for the Democrat for Congress but our district is so very red that I'll eat my hat if he wins against our icumbent Republican congressman Wally Herger. Herger isn't a bad guy, I've actually met him a few times, but it's time that our district has new representaiton in Congress.

August 11, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  28. Pablo in Arlington Texas

Jack,
    most folk hate Congress in the aggregate but think their guy is okay. "My guy's fine, it's the other 534 who are bums!" This is why incumbents win 98% of the time.
    In my case however I will vote against the oil besotted incumbents of the Grasping Oligarchs Party that currently represent my state and my Congressional district.
    The GOP hasn't fielded a decent candidate since Lincoln and even he had to run on a Union Party ticket for his second term because the Republican stalwarts tried to deny him renomination.
    Tammany Hall or No Hall a'tal!!!

Pablo, in Arlington, texas

August 11, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  29. mariel

Definitely No! They're more slimey than used car salesmen, haven't done a thing in office, and I refuse to endorse their ridiculously high salary with my vote.

August 11, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  30. Terrence, Georgia

In my state I have the option of choosing Saxby Chambliss or Jim Martin for US Senate. I will vote for the democrat Martin because Chambliss has become a mouth piece for George Bush. Martin will have a hard time winning this state being a democrat. Its sad to say but if George Bush was running again he would probably still win this state.

August 11, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  31. Pablo in Arlington Texas

Jack,
    not hardly. But put 'em together anyway. These two bums richly deserve each other.

Pablo in Arlington, Texas

August 11, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  32. Mike from NYC

Depends. Is Lou Dobbs running?

August 11, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  33. Ron- San Diego

NOPE !!!!!!!

August 11, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  34. Terrance Craion

Having gone through the Michigan primary mess, I would love to consider others for Senate and House of Representatives. My skin just crawled when my state's elected officials stated they wanted our electorial votes to count after they moved up the primary against party rules. Only in politics can you get away with much madness

Detroit, MI

August 11, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  35. Allen in Hartwell GA

Jack, as far as I'm concerned the Republican congressman for Ga's 10th district and the Republican senator up for re-election are both toast.

August 11, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  36. Chris

No, because he is a Republican.

thousand oaks ca

August 11, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  37. Wendy, San Rafael

Partly. One of my senators did have a backbone and the other didn't. Will vote against Diane Feinstein as she has become just another Republican enabler.

August 11, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  38. Femi, Knoxville Tenn

Unfortunately, he is not going to be on the ballot.

August 11, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  39. Dan, Chantilly VA

My District's representative has been in congress for 28 years, and it's long past time to boot him out. My senator who is up for reelection has decided not to run so I can't vote for him. I'm currently investigating the third party candidates for both elections because I'm a firm believer that real change will never happen as long as our only choices are D and R. At the very least, real change will never happen if we keep reelecting the same idiots.

August 11, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  40. Bruce St Paul MN

I will support the candidate that does not the "R" next to their name. It's not just the Bush gang, but three decades of Republicans pushing money from the lower and middles classes into the narrow upper class. They don't just want the money, they want all the money. Under Republican rule we will never have a sensible healthcare system, sensible spending priorities, fair elections, or an apolitical judiciary. They are campaigning now with smokescreens and red herrings like offshore drilling. They know it will have no impact on gas prices or trade balance, but there they go again. A good-sounding empty proposal with no benefit other than to improve oil stock prices. When it comes to working Americans, they are playing the hate card. They deserve to be swept into the dustbin of history.

August 11, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  41. Ralph in Orange Park, FL

I vote against the incumbent Republican congressman every time he runs opposed. Sadly, it has not done any good.

August 11, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  42. Larry in Florida

I say we fire them all and start over!!!! They get no vote from me.

August 11, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  43. John, NC

I would,... But only if they take me with them for one of those long vacations they usually take!

August 11, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  44. Matt Toohey

Absolutely not. When my Representative first ran he campaigned on a promise to serve a limited number of terms and he has now passed that milestone. So much for integrity. Since most of Congress has gotten "fat" on our backs it is time to let them know who they work for.

Matt
    Rockford

August 11, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  45. Stacy from Beautiful Loudoun County Virginia

Jack, heck no! I believe in congressional term limits, so I have voted mostly against the incumbent.

August 11, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  46. Mark, Oklahoma City

Yes, Oklahoma has two good U.S. Senators, one of whom is a physician who actually went to Washington to do some good, and guess what? He has had every conceivable roadblock imaginable thrown in front of him......most of these goons in Congress should be thrown out on their butts.....but a few, like Senator Coburn need to stay!

Mark
    OKC

August 11, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  47. John in Atlanta

My guy is John Linder. Has no clue of what's going on in the state and has online town hall meetings about the stoopidest of things. One word – No.

August 11, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  48. Rex in Portland, Ore.

Gordon Smith? Nah, he is one of the 77 who voted FOR the war authorization, like McCain and Clinton. He is, however, beating a fast retreat from bush, like McCain and Clinton.

I don't think he ever got his nose healed up from all those sudden bush turns, though – just didn't pull it out in time.

August 11, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  49. Ralph, Corpus Christi

No, not if they're caught cheating on their wives.

August 11, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  50. Wendy, San Rafael

Feinstein is a definite NO!! Just another Republican in Democratic clothing in most instances.

As far as Pelosi goes, she showed her contempt for the American people and the constitution when she took impeachment off the table. This is the people's last resort to fight against a tyrannical government and she did not have this right. Also, no backbone in fighting Bush. I will be voting Cindy Sheehan over Pelosi.

August 11, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  51. Michelle, Washington DC

They haven't done anything crazy or ridiculous this past term, so sure.

August 11, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  52. JImmy in California

NO Jack. Voting for a new Democrat this time and if he does not do the job I will vote for another the next time.

August 11, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  53. Michael In Maine

No Jack,
    If we truely want real change then an anti-incumbant wave has to spread across the country. We can't contine to vote the same politicians into office and expect things to change. After all the diffinition of insanity is to continue to do the same thing over and oiver and expect a different outcome.

Michael in Skowhegan,Maine

August 11, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  54. Linda in Florida

I think all the incombents need to be voted out.

August 11, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  55. Bizz - Quarryville, PA

Jack that is a good question and my answer to it is no. I made up my mine that I will not vote to reelect any one for another term until I start to see changes in the way our government operates with special interest groups and lobbyist. It probably will not mean much, but it would if everyone else would do the same. I think you would see the Congress and the president working together in earnest for the American voter. Something that has not happen in quite a while.

August 11, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  56. Ryan - Champaign, IL

If voters knew what their Congressperson has been up to in Washington, few would be invited back. Fortunately for them, most voters haven't a clue, and the sell-out parade will continue unabated.

August 11, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  57. Gary of El Centro, Ca

Of course......the rest of them are bums, but my guy is doing good things.

August 11, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  58. Ralph in New York City

Yes, Jack. I live in New York and my Congressman and especially my Senators worked hard for me and have earned my vote. One of my Senators is Hillary Clinton, and as she will probably be not on the Democratic ticket for President, and while she has her eart set on the Presidency, she promises to be a hard worker in Congress for the next four years

August 11, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  59. JT in NYC

I'm lucky. My represenatives are Senator Schumer, Senator Clinton, and Represenative Hinchley, so the answer is easy. I'm definitely voting for them because they are the best three people in Congress right now. They have done a lot for this state and they have won the respect of millions.

August 11, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  60. Richard McKinney, Texas

I will because she is one of the few that are speaking out for the American people and trying to get the democrats to put a plan on the table and vote. Kay Bailey Hutchison cares about the people that vote for her. A lot of the others do not. By not allowing the vote to come forward the democrats are trying to win an election. They care more about winning an election then they do about what is good for the nation as a whole. That Jack is just sad.

August 11, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  61. Marilyn from Louisiana

August 11, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  62. kenneth sibbett

No way. Elizabeth Dole represents North Carolina as our Senator and if was't for airplanes, she could't find her way to North Carolina.

Kenneth Chadbourn N.C.

August 11, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  63. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Jack: Don't think so. The only thing I will learn from voting in the upcoming elections is that learned nothing from the old. We should just go ahead and determine the presidency with three-legged races and pie-eating contests. It would make better TV.

August 11, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  64. Patrick in Hampstead , MD

Jack,

No way! The Democrats have had a stranglehold on Maryland politics for the last half century. The end result has been higher taxes, loss of manufacturing jobs, high crime, political scandal, decline in education at every level and a 72% increase in Utilities in 1 year.
    When it comes to Maryland I will vote against a Democrat.

August 11, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  65. Shirley

No, 'fraid not. Sen. Gordon Smith of Oregon has been tainted with the Republican brush. His two terms have been in tandem with Bush and he's now being hypocritical with his constituency by pretending to be agin him. Have had enough double-talk. Way overdue for some straight talk.

August 11, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  66. C P in New Mexico

We in New Mexico are getting a pass this time. NO incumbents are running in this election. A "new" senator, and "new" representives in the three districts.

August 11, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  67. Jeremy D (University of Texas)

I was just diagnosed as a diabetic. I will re-elect my congressman just as soon as I forage through a couple boxes of Twinkies. Either option is bad for my livelihood....

August 11, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  68. Maggie Muggins From Selwyn

Not voting for someone just because they are an incumbent is as dumb as voting for an over the hill prisoner of war thinking this gives him the credentials to be President.

If your congressman votes on the side of your political wants then they deserve your support but if they vote to toe the party line without any concern for the ramifications then give them the boot.

August 11, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  69. Richard - A New Independent

My republican senator who is a biger supporter of Bush than McCain - I don't think so -
    Knoxville TN

August 11, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  70. Heather- Kennesaw, GA

Nope. They are both Republicans and we know what good they've
    done our country in the last seven years, eight months, eleven days,
    seventeen hours, fifty minutes and counting until, hopefully, they get voted out.

August 11, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  71. Kelly, Philadelphia

I'm ready to throw them all under the bus!

August 11, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  72. Ed from Durango, Colorado

Since he is a democrat, yes, I will certainly vote for him.

August 11, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  73. Paula from Georgia

In my part of the state, if you don't have no one opposing you on the ballot. That's all you can vote for- Local and State and Federal positions. If you don't want to vote for that person, like anything else. Just leave it blank.

August 11, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  74. Billy G in Las Vegas

hopefully ALL incumbents, Republican OR Democrate, get voted out this election.

in my district southeast of Las Vegas we have a totally useless "Bush rubber stamp" congressman that has done absolutely NOTHING for the people living here. he almost lost in 2004 and hopefully will get blown out this time.

August 11, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  75. mark, Temple TX

Nope. He' s one of the Bush thugs.

August 11, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  76. El Guapo

Of course not, if people truly believed in the notion of CHANGE... no one would ever re-elect their elected officials. If CHANGE were to really occur in America it would only stem from the electing of new candidates... That is CHANGE we can believe in

August 11, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  77. Dick B

No but it won't matter because of our gerrrymandered district where all of the boneheads in Indiana have been placed.

August 11, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  78. John

I'll be looking at all of the candidates for each office and will vote for the ones I agree with the most, regardless of party.
    John in Three Rivers, MI

August 11, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  79. Shannon Wadding, St. Paul, MN

No, I will not re-elect my incumbent elected officials because they went back on everything they stood for on their political platforms.

Instead of listening to the voices of their constituents, the elected leaders chose to listen to special interest groups in the name for the greater good.

August 11, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  80. Greg in Cabot AR

I won't vote to re-elect my Congressman unless he promises to implement "merit pay" for all elected officials like they want to impose on school teachers.

August 11, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  81. Larry from Georgetown, Texas

No way, we need to fire all that are up for election and start fresh.

August 11, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  82. Barb B Mpls

I want to get rid of Norm the "Snake" Coleman .

August 11, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  83. Chuck, Eugene Oregon

No, I plan to replace my senator and congressman if my vote counts. Our capitol needs fresh blood, people that put the country as a whole above their political careers. Sometimes there are hard choices to be made, that if made will effect a politicians career, if they opt out for their career, as most have lately, then they need to find new employment.

August 11, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  84. Paul, Columbia, SC

There are no incumbents of either party getting my vote. If a candidate is a lawyer, I will vote for the one who isn't. My vote will always be to enforce term limits from now on. The gravy train is over.

August 11, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  85. Annie, Atlanta

Are you kidding, Jack. These guys here in GA are a joke. Write to them and you receive a form letter in response with a list of Bush talking points based on the subject you write about. Hell NO!

August 11, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  86. Gary Dye

I will not support my incumbent because he has done little in Congress other than to support big business and special interest groups.. I cannot remember when we have had a statesman represent us. It's a very sad situation.

Gary

August 11, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  87. Iris in Saugatuck, MI

Don't get mad at me Jack because I'm one of those rather near-sighted voters who will be casting my vote to re-elect my own senator and congressman. I know all the other dimwits in the Senate and the House are a bunch of screw-ups, but my representatives can do no wrong. Besides, I'd rather vote for the the devil I know than the devil I don't.

August 11, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  88. Wonju, Los Angeles

I say it's time for a revolution. I'm gonna vote against my incumbent to end the war in iraq, solve the energy crisis, cut 9 trillion dollar debt, restore our civil liberties and follow the so long forgotten document called the "constitution".

August 11, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  89. Shafi Alam

Re-electing or not I want to see a congress that can be effective in bringing change in old Washington politics.

August 11, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  90. Jeff, Galena, MO

McCaskill was just elected, so no problem there, yet. But I would love to send Blunt to the old politicians home.

August 11, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  91. Howard M, Bolingbrook IL

I absolutely will vote to re-elect my Senator and Congress person. They are both Democrats with solid voting records.
    What I find strange this year is there are two candidates running in my area without displaying any sign of their party affiliation. After going to their web sites you still can't tell. This makes me assume they are Republicans and they are ashamed of it.

August 11, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  92. Ted Beaverton, OR

I will be voting for my incumbent House member because he works hard to be part of the solution. I will be voting against my incumbent Senator, because he is part of the problem, 90% of the time.

August 11, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  93. Deb- OK

No way. At least I can say I try to help bring back hope to this country and state.

August 11, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  94. Dave from Maryland

Hell no! He's a long sitting Republican and NONE of them deserve re-election.

August 11, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  95. rick viburnum Mo

Jack the smart people won"t. But it's like what Truman said to a reporter when a comment was made that all the thinking people will vote for you and Truman replied "yes but I need a majority."

August 11, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  96. Mike, Syracuse, NY

No, I'll be voting for the other lame-ass jerk. Whoever that is.

August 11, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  97. Gary Dahl

No. There are no incumbents on the ballot who will get my vote. It's time to throw the bums out and start afresh.

Gary
    Jacksonville, OR

August 11, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  98. Cynthia

I would vote for my Congressman because he has done some great things locally in comparison to his predecessor. My senator is another story.

August 11, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  99. George

Well living in Florida there aren't any running for re-election this time around, however I would definately get rid of the Bush look-a-like Martinez, and vote in someone who will be more that a puppet to his regime's leader.

August 11, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  100. Stacy from Fairfax, VA

My guys are retiring this year, so no. But I challenge all Americans to not vote for a Senator or Congressman if they have been relected for more than two terms. Congress needs term limits and since they won't won't impose them on itself, it's up to the voters to do it for them.

We can call it the Three Strikes Rule for Congress. Three Terms: You're Out!

August 11, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  101. William Courtland, Southern Ontario

If you do not know them don't vote them. Force proper non-salaried membership, and the district apportionment of 30 000-40 000 free citizens +the amendment altered 3/5 clause.

August 11, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  102. Kay in WV

No, although if you'd asked me 6 months ago I would have voted to re-elect both.. I lost respect for my congressman when he spouted the party line on energy policy and for my Senator when he endorsed Obama with unsound reasoning.

August 11, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  103. Marty, Idaho

Heck yes. For years I have voted against incumbents regarless of party to no avail. It's great to see more Americans waking up and smelling the corruption. It gives me a small glimmer of political hope.

August 11, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  104. Chris

NO ! I am voting against whoever is currently holding office. Throw all of the BUMS out !!!

August 11, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  105. Dennis in Albuquerque

Jack, we in New Mexico have a unique situation. All three representatives have run for Sen. Domenici's senate seat. My representative Heather Wilson lost to another representative in the primaries. So, I can say without a doubt that I will not be voting for the sitting senator or representative.

August 11, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  106. richard a. winkler

I only have one rule for this election.

I will not vote for any Republican.

August 11, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  107. Frank from Peterborough

Since it is estimated there were 30 million Americans along with about 80% of the outside world who knew the invasion of Iraq was wrong I would think it would be prudent to vote against any congress person who supported this reckless act of insanity.

This invasion although only one issue is still the most important since it has cost hundreds of thousands of people their lives and has been paramount in destroying your economy.

August 11, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  108. Odessa

NO!!..i will vote this election for Obama but not my congressman..whoever is the running opponent against the current congressman, i will change my vote because they haven't done nothing for my district..i am tired of them making the money and not doing enough for their own people..they take advantage of us so i will vote against them this time!

August 11, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  109. AndyZ Fairfax, VA

As soon as I have checked the FBIs 10 most wanted list, indictments issued by Congressional Committees, and the local wanted posters I may vote for the incumbent. Another requirement would be that they are not members of the Republican Party. I don't forget and I won't fogive for what the Republicans/NeoCons have done to America!

August 11, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  110. Ed North Carolina

No. Virginia Foxx has walked the Bush party line her entire two terms. She was caught on TV absolutely fawning over him at the last State of the Union. A giddy fan. How embarrasing for the 5th district of NC.

August 11, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  111. Joey

Probably so but I still think term limits should be in concrete. They get to D. C and the fat cats start giving them perks and it is not long and they are swimming in pork and then they forgot about the poor slob who voted them in and it is up to us the American people to wise up and vote the buggers out.

August 11, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  112. Jan Davis, Knoxville, TN

Definitely NOT. Both our Senators are Republicans – Bob Corker and Lamar Alexander, neither of which I like, especially Corker and the dirty campaign he ran against Harold Ford . Alexander is up for re-election this year. The Tennessee Republican Party should be very ashamed of itself for making Tennesseans look ridiculous and backward by calling out Michelle Obama.

People out there – there are many intelligent, well-educated, and well-informed Tennesseans, most of whom will be smart and vote for change via Barack Obama. I certainly plan to.

August 11, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  113. dennis north carolina

NO,NO,NO period.

August 11, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  114. John

Jack, No. The guy never does anything for me or my family. I have never heard of this guy having an originial thought in his head. He has the speech patterns of his hero, George W. Bush, and the hunting skills of Dick Cheney.

John
    Alabama

August 11, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  115. erin in los angeles

democrats, only democrats.

August 11, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  116. Judy Goebel

Only if they're Democrats....and if no good ones are available, I won't vote in the Congressional race at all!

Judy
    Mesa AZ

August 11, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  117. ed olshavsky

August 11, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  118. Joshua P. from NC

With the rest of my fellow North Carolinians I will not vote for Elizabeth Dole she has surely disappointed in her time there.

August 11, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  119. John, Fort Collins, CO

Colorado Senator Wayne Allard has voted lock-step with the Whitehouse and his fellow Republicans about 95% of the time. The Republican representative for my district has an even worse voting record. Now it is my turn to vote - it will be 100% Democratic.

August 11, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  120. Diane, Barneveld, NY

I've been voting against incumbents for twelve years. I see nothing to make me change my vote this year.

August 11, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  121. Pat,Lexington, Ky.

No. Mitch Mcconnell has been around WAY too long and I sure don't trust him or Jim Bunning. We Need new, fresh brains from Ky. in the Senate.

August 11, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  122. Jerry,OK

Jack, Inhoff and Coburn represent Oklahoma in the Senate. If that doesn't answer your question...Nooooo.

Jerry N/Tulsa

August 11, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  123. David,San Bernardino,CA.

No! My own representative is a crook who has been in congress over 43 years and is known as the king of pork. He keeps being re-elected because the republican recipients of his largesse like it that and want to keep the money coming.

August 11, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  124. Karl in CA

It depends on who the alternative is. My rep is Nancy Pelosi and here in San Francisco the Republicans usually run some dork that makes George W. Bush look like a rocket scientist with morals. Yes, that bad. I have accepted the fact that the Republican PPP, Presidential Protection Pack,in Congress has hindered most anything that could have been done to get rid of Bush/Cheney so I hope the next Congress will have a real Dem majority that can start to get this eight year mess straightened out. My big regret is that she didn't at least bring the articles of impeachment up on a vote and get the "NO" votes on record.

August 11, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  125. Bernie of Lowell, MA

Yes. My congresswoman is spending her time off here to address local issues – and her activism and concern for our troops, our veterans, the poor and people on fixed incomes facing higher costs is especially positive.

Bernie
    Lowell, MA

August 11, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  126. Iris in Saugatuck, MI

August 11, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  127. ed olshavsky

you bet i will vote for my congressman,john murtha for what he has done for my area .i am from lilly,pa.and proud of it!

August 11, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  128. Jason, Koloa, HI

I've voted against the senators in my state the last three elections even though we are along the same party lines. I live in Hawaii where the State Democrats are just as bad as Republicans because there is a one-party system in this state. I've never voted for a Republican, but I'd like to see at least a two-party system in Hawaii, the democrats and the greens would be nice. The octagenarian Dan's (Inouye and Akaka) need to sail off into the sunset already.

August 11, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  129. Terry from North Carolina

Jack
    I have a very simple philosophy, " when your in, next election your out " you dont want these crooks to take advantage of you for a second term.

August 11, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  130. Steven from NJ

Well, mine is not running for re-election. That's good because I have never voted for him. Both the Rep. and Dem. running do not look so good. But 3 indepents are running also, so I will vote for one of them and make Lou happy.

August 11, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  131. Carol Largo, Fl

Absolutely not!! We hear from them only during election time, and the rest of the time they all "do nothing". No politician should be able to collect a pension UNLESS they have been re-elected at least once and have never worked as a lobbyists. No incumbent will get my vote.

August 11, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  132. David Alexandria, VA

I dontt know but I'm open to suggestion either way. I have written all of my congressional reps and expressed my outrage at the inactivity which plagues congress as a whole. We have some critical issues that have been festering for 30 years which the Dems, Reps, and Indies nhave not even begun to solve and need to be finally solving quickly– and I mean solving as if our nation's future depended on them Because it does. Oil, economy, immigration - the list goes on.

I'll see who responds and decide who I'm going to vote for then.

August 11, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  133. Scott - Wichita, Kansas

I don't know, I just moved here a few months ago. Tiarht looks like he's won by a landslide for the past few elections, though, and th area is booming, so I guess so.

August 11, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  134. Doug from Bloomington IN

Indiana has 2 pretty good senators, one a republican and one a democrat. My congressman is a democrat; since his republican opponent is a total moron, I'll vote incumbent there, too.

It all goes to who is running, Jack. I can't hand-pick someone and neither can you. There are as many different opinions as there are voters. Heck, I'd pick me, but I have no money and no political machine to propel me there. So I'm forced to pick whomever the general populace picks. I'm forced to go with the candidate who represents the closest positions to mine.

Yup....the lesser of two evils. Or the lesser of who cares.

August 11, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  135. Rod from Chicago

I am going to vote against every incumbent bum that’s in office today. Unfortunately Jack, this is a country were being naive is always coupled with believing the candidate that says, his opponent is going to raise your taxes, allow criminals to walk free, and did I fail to mention that he want keep our Country safe.

August 11, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  136. JW Georgia

Absolutely not. However I live in a district in Georgia populated by the most unsophisticated voters ever. And every election they go to the polls and put the same fools right back into office, then immediately begin complaining that nothing seems to change.

August 11, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  137. Sid---Texas

No Jack, I will not vote for our present congressman because he is a Republican , and I am a Democrat. However, the district I live in is a Republican strong hold, so he will probably be re-elected anyway. The only Republican that I ever voted for was my nearest neighbor He ran for County Commissioner and won. I really enjoyed the extra road repairs and increased mosquito control around our homes administered while he was commissioner. He moved, and every thing is back to normal.. Bad roads and lots of mosquitoes...

August 11, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  138. David Richards

My member of Congress is a Republican. I have nothing in common with him, but since Texas is so overwhelmingly Republican, my vote doesn't count.

August 11, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  139. stephanie/houston/tx

At this time Congress can not pass any thing because we have a Lam Duck President. He is going to veto any bill a Democratic Congress tries to implement. The only way do get anything done is to Elect a Democratic President so that we are able to bring about Changes. If we don't will be stuck with the same scenario for another four years. Americans can no longer afford to waste our votes like a dog chasing his own tail.

August 11, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  140. Karen, Idaho Falls Idaho

Reelect LARRY CRAIG??? You must be kidding!!! Anyway, he had the good sense to not run for another term.

August 11, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  141. Vinnie Vino

Jack,
    If we can fine him...

C.I., New York

August 11, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  142. Rosa Lake City, SC

Dems yes, Replubs no

August 11, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  143. Jay in Texas

Not a chance, Jack. I have written letters to my congressman and two senators and told them that there is no way I will vote for them when they come up for re-election and I gave them some of the reasons why. If I had listed all of the reasons, I would still be typing.
    Brownwood, Texas

August 11, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  144. Anne

I would love to vote against my neanderthal congressman, who, according to his newsletters, spends his time valiantly fighting against evildoer Democrats.. Unfortunately, he is running unopposed. I live in the neanderthal region of Texas, so my only choice is just to skip the congressional race on the ballot.

Anne
    Texas

August 11, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  145. Mike from Baltimore, MD

Jack,

Thankfully, I won't have to vote to re-elect my Congressman because he got booted out of office back in February during the primary. Many of these sitting senators and representatives better dust off their resumes because they will be jobless come January 2009.

August 11, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  146. James, Prescott,Michigan

Dang no! Throw all the bums out or put them all on a sinking ship along with lawyers who's word does not mean cow dung!

August 11, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  147. Alan - Buxton, Maine

Absolutely not! Both my senators have consistently voted against everything I believe in and stand for. I would gladly throw both of them out right now. My Democratic Representative is running for the Republican Senators office and I will certainly vote for him.

August 11, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  148. Allison

Actually, I am voting for my Congressman. Representative Tim Murphy has done an outstaning job of listening to his constituents. When I receive an email or newsletter from him, it's not filled with fluff and photo ops. He truly wants to hear about our opinions on important issues such as energy and healthcare. We may not always agree on an issue, but we can agree on what is important.

I'd like to think that voting for Rep. Murphy is my way of fostering bipartisan relations. Sorry fellow Dems, this one's a keeper.

August 11, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  149. Uncle Whitey

I am not sure how I will vote on the incumbants. I am happy with how Ed Whitfield and Mitch McConnell (both conservative Republicans for Kentucky) vote about 65% of the time. I am proud of their pro second amendment positions but don't like their positions towards the Bush war policy or health care.

August 11, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  150. Griff

It was the same in the UK, with the: (so called -: House of Lords)..
    It as changed their, but not enough. You accept the status-quo, you pay the price.... What do I know...

August 11, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  151. Mike P. L.A.

Jack, people are just dumb, let's face it. They will complain and moan about Congress not doing their jobs, but you know what? They will just go to the ballot box and vote the same way they always have, then wait till the next election to start the whole cycle again.
    Think about it, if we really acted on our complaining of our elected officials, we wouldn't have any of these messes we have now.

August 11, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  152. Bob S Philadelphia, PA

Jack,

I will not vote for 1 sitting congress person in my state! They have been on an 8 year paid vacation if I have my way they will go on an unpaid permanent vacation in my state anyway. The biggest do nothing congress I can remember in my life time

August 11, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  153. Carol in Durham Maine

While people complain about the economy, rising energy costs, and the war they don't seem to be able to connect the dots between Republican Party Platform and their representative voting that way and 'She/He seems to be doing a great job for us".
    In Maine Collins voted 98% with Bush, and approved the Cheney energy plan with huge loopholes for big oil. But as I canvassed neighborhoods yesterday for the Democratic party and for Change, even people Voting Democratic in other areas, can't seem to understand why they would vote Allen (D) and not Collins (R)....
    All politics are local as they say.

August 11, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  154. Uncle Whitey

oh yeah, Jim Bunning has got to go.

August 11, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  155. David Bakody

Jack, allow me a quote from a great American writer: History has tried hard to teach us that we can't have good government under politicians. Now, to go and stick one at the very head of the government couldn't be wise. Mark Twain. Nuf said !

August 11, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  156. Bob S Philadelphia, PA

Jack,

McCain – anyone is a bad ticket ! But look at our other choice? Obama-anyone is also a bad ticket what is an American voter to do? I will probably hold my nose and vote McCain- and whoever he picks

August 11, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  157. Marie

I'm voting strait Democrat this year and let the chips fall where they may. I can't ever vote Republican again.

Marie
    Ewing, NJ

August 11, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  158. Cliff Dick

Being from Virginia, in my case I would vote for incumbents

August 11, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  159. JS

Elizabeth Dole is ranked about 93 as a senator (out of 100), she votes with anything Bush wants, against the troops, against childrens healthcare and always for anything to benefit the corporations. North Carolinians would have to be braindead to voter for her.

August 11, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  160. Chryssa

Fortunately Larry Craig isn't running for re-election, so he won't be humiliated by the lack of support. As for the rest of them, no way. Idaho's done with Republicans.

Boise, ID

August 11, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  161. Joe, Clinton Ma.

They can fry ice before I vote for them again. All incumbents should be voted out, no matter what party they belong too.

August 11, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  162. Teri in North FL

Heck NO! My Representative (Mica) votes with the Repub party line every time – he and those like him are the reason nothing is getting done. You can blame the Dems all you want because they took a slim majority last election, but the real problem is the way the Republicans are acting in Congress. They think we're all stupid and either don't care or don't check, but when you see their actions of the last 2 years, it's your duty to hold them responsible for their actions.
    Teri

August 11, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  163. E. B. - Atlanta

No, he was one of those Republicans acting as if he wasn't going to take vacation until they got a vote on energy. I am sure they are all at their vacation homes as we speak. What a bunch of bad bluffers.

August 11, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  164. A Kraft Naples, FL

no way...I will be voting for an ex republican who is now running as an independent against the republican candidate..figure that out...all I know is that I will NOT vote for any incumbent for anything from school board to congressman

August 11, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  165. Deb in Lancaster, PA

Senators, you betcha! Casey and Spector have my support.
    My congressman? Not a chance! His name is Pitts, and unfortunately many of his constituents feel he is appropriately named.

August 11, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  166. Hubert Bertrand

They are all a bunch of slimes!! But how can we get rid of them???They have the money and power and don't care what we think.I wish they were like the president, (2) terms and thats it.

August 11, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  167. Terry in Fayetteville, NC

My senators and representative are all Republican and they have already made their sales pitch by taking big money from big oil. If gasoline is $1 a gallon on election day, I might be tempted to vote for one of them.

August 11, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  168. Vince Carson City, Nevada

Jack,

My congresscritter is a Bush/neo-con rubber stamp named Dean Heller.

If he ran unopposed I wouldn't vote for him.

August 11, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  169. Richard Green

My local Congressman is a Republican who believes we are winning in Iraq [why leave?], believes building a 750 mile border fence is a great idea, believes that we need to drill our way out of our oil problems[!], and that a vote for the GOP this year will mean lower taxes and more freedom. I am voting against him because I think he has been either asleep or drunk the entire time he's been in Washington.

Richard Green
    San Clemente, Calif.

August 11, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  170. Gail- NYC

I will be voting for my current representative, Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney. She has done a lot of good for my district.

However, for the first time since I have been old enough to vote (1972) I Will NOT be voting for a presidental candidate this year. The candidates are both pathetic examples of what is wrong with our country and I wish to have no part in either of their election.

August 11, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  171. perry jones

i would vote for steve king any time as i would chuck grasly but in iowa we have a few that need to go out to pasture as they are what is in the pasture already

perry j
    council bluffs iowa

August 11, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  172. Janice Pound

NO! This time especially, we have seen 80% of congress supporting corporative America when they are supposed to be representing us. A congressman should be judged by the fact that he represents his whole state and should be voting in whatever manner the majority of the voters want him to. ,not what he thinks or what he wants to do. If you want real change you will have to vote for no incumbant that is running and you will have to start voting for other parties. Lets really mix it up this time around.. And in 6 yrs pay attention to what your elected official is doing. Just don't keep electing the same old name that's laziness. This formula should be applied to state & local candidates if possible.

August 11, 2008 at 4:02 pm |
  173. Brooke

I will NOT vote to re-elect my Congressman. He is useless. I have lived in his District for over a decade and I can't tell you anything that he's done. Besides, I'm ready to vote out all incumbents this year. They are all part of the problem.

August 11, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  174. Ron from SF

No and I'll actively work to get rid of Nancy Pelosi, who supposedly represents my interests.

August 11, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  175. Mike

Hell No!!!!!!!!

August 11, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  176. Jack Dempsey

Jack from Nice, Ca. I don't know Jack. I think i'll ask Lou Dobbs.

August 11, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  177. RC

I won't if you won't.

August 11, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  178. Amarissa

I remember how happy I was when Pelosi was elected! Now, she has proven to be just another politician. She will not return to the House, you can bank on it, Jack! Neither will a lot of others who have done nothing for our economy!
    Florida

August 11, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  179. Allen L Wenger

No way. I'm a liberal who moved to Idaho; my senator and congressman are still living in the 1950's. They watch old reruns of "Leave it to Beaver" and think it's a reality show.

Allen
    Mountain Home, Idaho

August 11, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  180. Will from San Jose, CA

The problem with the two party system is that people don't have a choice. If a citizen is unhappy with their Representative the only option is to vote for the opposition party and then wait for a chance at a new candidate from their own party at at future date. That's not going to happen.

So both side continue to vote along party lines and we get the same ineffective people year after year.

August 11, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  181. TonyInKentucky

I'll vote for my Representative, if for no other reason than the old snake we just got out is slithering around again.

I'm always on the Ditch Mitch program. Been trying to ditch him about my whole life.

August 11, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  182. Ruth McInerney

No. But, Terry Everett is not running for re-election, thankfully. I was not planning on voting for him anyway. Let's just hope that who ever gets elected does a better job.

Ruth
    Samson, AL

August 11, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  183. Anne/Seattle

I have more reading and investigating before I make my decision. While we are all disgusted by the lack of accomplishment from our congessmen, I feel voters are also concerned about the unknown of anyone new. Voters are also lazy. They do not want to get involved and learn about new politicians then abdicate responsibility voting for a familiar name hoping something will change in spite of their apathy.

August 11, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  184. sharon kitchen

i will vote for each canidate on "their" merit. This does not mean the same one. If I have to write in a name I will. Morals matter.

August 11, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  185. Danielle--Virginia

Fortunately both my Senator (John Warner) and my Representative (Tom Davis) have decided to retire, so we'll be looking at entirely new people.

If I still lived in Alaska, OH HELL NO, I would not be voting for that pair of corrupt jerks. Stevens up on 7 felony charges and Young under investigation by both the IRS and the FBI? No, no I would not be voting to put those two back into office.

August 11, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  186. Nuwan Sam

I will definitly vote to re-elect Congressman Nick Lampson. He is a democrat and does a very good job for the community. He has a tough fight in this republican district of Tom Delay but I think he has a real chance again this time. I am not happy about the congress in general but we need to recognize people who do their job right and re-elect them.

– Nuwan from Houston, TX

August 11, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  187. William

Absolutely not. The congress takes an oath I believe..."to preserve, protect and defend..." Every single member who was in office on 9-11 failed us as a country. They have since failed us by having over 4000 Americans give up their lives in Iraq, who can't even pay their own bills with nearly 80 billion. It is time that every single one of us Americans, should vote any and all incumbents out. I truly feel, our founding fathers would be ashamed of each and every one of them, Iam!

August 11, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  188. Darr/Cleveland/Ohio

I would need to know what the incumbent did for me(me being the state if a senator or city being a representative)-what the incumbent voted for and what bills have they introduced. What are their stances on energy, unemployment, job loss of our state, education. The next thing is, who is running against the incumbent and what platform are they trying to sell. But to think the incumbent is mine is a misnomer when whoever is in office would have no idea who I am or what I stand for unless I made some heavy contributions to his campaign or I own a black American Express Card–money talks-words are cheap

August 11, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  189. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I'll vote for any senator or congressperson, democrat or republican, that says terms limits should be limited. Otherwise, I will not vote for either to retire off the blood and sweat of hard working Americans.

August 11, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  190. wally Ruehmann las Vegas nv

NO Harry Reid is mine, hell no, hes worthless. another example of a career politician, like McCain. just gotten to dam comfey, hes whole family are politicians, one term then your out.

August 11, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  191. W. W. -TX

No Way. They follow GWB like blind Sheeps .

August 11, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  192. Paul

I will not because we need total change and to show you are not happy you need to vote out the lower positions to really be heard. The sad part is Jack so far it has not seemed to matter who is elected no change seems to happen the system is broke.
    Paul
    Round Rock, Texas

August 11, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  193. Ruie - Michigan

Well Jack, when your Congressman is John Dingell, Dean of the House, and the writer of the original medicaid bill, and the son of the man who wrote the original social security and medicare bills – it's kinda hard to kick him out. However, I'd like to tar and feather and run out on a rail some of our state congressmen and women.

August 11, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  194. Peter Connecticut

If we vote all the incumbents out we will have a Republican majority in both the House and Senate and I don't think that's what America wants right now.

August 11, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  195. Veronica in Richmaond, VA.

Well Jack, my congressman is a republican Randy Forbes, I plan to replace him with a Democrate, My Senator John Warner, will be replaced with Mark Warner, I hope all of Virginia replace the Republicans with Dems, only 23 Republican seat up for grabs in the Senate, I hope we take them all!

August 11, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  196. L.A. Boston

I live in MA and would gladly vote out Senator John Kerry if he were running.

He didn't follow the will of the people in giving Obama the endorsement. He should have given it to Hillary. Once she (if) lost he then would be able to change his mind. (Kind of like to did with the war in Iraq).

August 11, 2008 at 4:20 pm |
  197. Kim, Dodge City, Kansas

No I won't. Until strict term limits are passed and enforced, I will be very hard pressed to put the same person in office twice. We have all been burned too many times by these "lifer" politicians.

August 11, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  198. Rick

No – They do not look out for my interests. They are only lining their pockets with Corporate money.

Rick in Texas

August 11, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  199. mello doug, New Mexico

Frankly they should kick them all out of office after they have served 8 years at the most. They might be good for the district or state but after a while the hand goes in the till. There are congress people I personally like but still 8 years is enough. It might even get rid of some the political partisan garbage.

August 11, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  200. donna myrtle beach, SC

Absolutly NOT. We have a wishy-washy senator (Lindsey Graham) who can't seem to decide if he's conservative middle of the road orliberal, and a true Bush spokesmonkey for our representative. We'll be voting for whoever runs against them, these guys are an insult to our state and to congress.

August 11, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  201. David A Morse, Stoneham, MA

Jack:

NO! I will not vote to reelect Ed Markey. I have written to him on Immigration and other issues, but I have never received a response. I have also wriitten Senator Kennedy on the McCain Kennedy Immigration proposal and he wrote back lecturing me about how we must pass a comprhensive bill. I refuse to be lectured to by a person who should represent my views.

August 11, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  202. Ed from Twin Bridges Montana

It is time to toss the bathwater, and if it means the baby has to go too, then so be it.

August 11, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  203. Tavaris

I just moved to a new city in the same state. My Congressman has an R next to his name so I want be voting to re-elect him. Keep up the good work Jack.

August 11, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  204. Ed , Minneapolis MN

There is know way I would reelect Norm Coleman, He is just another Bush Lap dog. Voting anyway Daddy Bush told him to in order to further his career. Bye Bye Normy, Time for some comedic relief!!! Hello Al

August 11, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  205. David L. Hamilton

I am A not too happy Democrat and I live in the highly Republican dominated state of Arizona. My senators are both republicans. One is John Kyle and the other is, guess who, John McCain.I agree with the theory of " throw out all incumbents", but for sure, I will not vote for either of these two. Collectively, they have done nothing for this state.

August 11, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  206. Lee Powell

I live in Arizona and I would not vote for Senator John McCain either for President or for senator. He is a vascillator, flip-flopping around on what he believes and wants; he hugs and panders to the incompetent George Bush; he has the arrogance of the rich Arizona politician that is so shocking to people who come from elsewhere because they want to live in this beautiful state.
    Arizona is in many ways naive and nouveau in its political thinking and I suppose Mr. McCain represents the state admirably in such a case.

August 11, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  207. James

Jack, I would not vote to reelect my congresswoman,nor my senators,if hell freezes over. All three are "bushies" and that makes them morons in my book. If there has ever been a time when it is appropriate to "not reelect anybody" that time is now! I'm over three score and I've never seen our country in such a" mell of a hess" I say impeach Bush and Chaney and try them in a court of law

August 11, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  208. pat

I am a Dem living in a red district. This year I hope my neighbors

August 11, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  209. Bill in PA

No, Jack we will not vote for our incumbent US Representative. He will however, be re-elected. He has the support of corporate big contributors and he has shown a high level of support for Bush and McSame policies, popular in this congressional district. Our Senator, Arlen Specter is not up for re-election but had little trouble the last time he ran.

August 11, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  210. brett mullins Phoenix,Az

America loses if McCain is nominated . Arizona loses if he has to come back to Az to do nothing like he has for 26 years. What a mess we are in! A lose-lose situation .

August 11, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  211. Thomas

I will vote to re-elect mine. He has only been there for a few months.

Baton Rouge, LA

August 11, 2008 at 5:32 pm |
  212. Don--Ocala, FL

NO-NO-NO! The only downside to this is that for every new representative we elect we set them up for a government pension for life at our expense.

August 11, 2008 at 5:32 pm |
  213. Robert, Illinois

Jack, I will vote for the incumbent senator, Majority Whip Dick Durbin, not only because he shares more of my stances on the issues and would better represent me in Washington, but because his opponent is a neocon and will never vote for a neocon. As for my Republican representative John Shimkus, I shall be voting for his Democratic opponent because Shimkus is also a neocon and his challenger is a young man who represents the change we need in Washington.

August 11, 2008 at 5:32 pm |
  214. kay morris

Our Senators are Barack Obama and Dick Curbin. One will be president and the other I will vote back in due to his ongoing inquiries into the past and present adm.s actions. Our Congressman is retiring-Ray LaHood and so we have a new choice to vote for.
    kay in springfield

August 11, 2008 at 5:33 pm |
  215. Jim S

The time has come to review all elected officials records as well as their promises before making a decision as to who to vote for. Politics has become so dirty and dishonest that people need to throw those out who pander to special interests and ignore the will of those people who elected them . I am deeply concerned with our system of goverment now and wonder if it is too late to take our government and country back from these bums.

August 11, 2008 at 6:03 pm |
  216. Julian Berkeley, CA

Yes i will. Barbara Boxer has been against the Iraq War since the beginning and also wants there to be impeachment for the president which i also want.

August 11, 2008 at 6:04 pm |
  217. Steve -- Wyoming

The real head scratcher in Wyoming is that the people of this State would never tolerate fiscal mismanagement, deficit spending and endless debt at the State and Local level. Yet, we keep reelecting Members of Congress who readily enable and promote our national debt!

August 11, 2008 at 6:04 pm |