August 11th, 2008

McCain-Lieberman a good ticket?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/11/art.leiberman.mccain.gi.jpg caption=" Would you vote for a McCain – Lieberman ticket?"]

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Joe Lieberman insists it's not going to happen – but people are talking. The former Democratic V.P. nominee – turned independent senator – is reportedly being vetted by John McCain as a potential running mate.

An adviser to McCain tells the Financial Times that McCain "loves Lieberman" and that he's on the short list because he has "never embarrassed anyone, never misspoken."

Some experts have called Lieberman a "near perfect pick" and say that McCain's choice of the Connecticut senator would be "game changing." Plus he would have a fact checker right down the hall at the White House, which in McCain's case would be invaluable.

Advantages to picking Lieberman include his calm temperament and his appeal to elderly Jewish voters in states like Florida. And Lieberman was already thoroughly vetted when he ran in 2000.

On the other hand, it's unlikely Lieberman would do much to shore up McCain's support among the Republican base – a group where some still don't trust him. Some say picking Lieberman could even cause a "revolt" among die-hard conservatives. Lieberman broke with the Democrats on the Iraq war – but has pretty much stuck with the party on all other issues.

One other thing: McCain is 71 and Lieberman is 66, which means the ticket would total 137. That means Barack Obama at age 47 could pick a running mate who is 89 years old and the Democratic ticket would still be younger.

Here’s my question to you: Would Joe Lieberman be a good pick for John McCain’s V.P.?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Dave from Missouri writes:
It would be the winning ticket. For McCain to put an independent as V.P. (of whom Al Gore once thought enough of to make him the number 2 guy on his ticket) would say a lot. A moderate Republican and a left-leaning Independent now that would be unbelievable. Now that is change we can all believe in!

Kenneth from Chadbourn, North Carolina writes:
Why not, Jack? Abbott and Costello, Martin and Lewis, I need all the laughs I can get.

Bob from Florida writes:
Jack, If McSame tags Lieberman as his veep, I am going to become a family of 20 illegal aliens so that I may vote against the ticket 21 times!

Aaron from Hawesville, Kentucky writes:
I don't think it would be in McCain's best interest. He would be smart to pick a conservative economist.

Alison writes:
McCain-Lieberman has been my (improbable) dream ticket for a long time! A campaign to elect two fiercely independent leaders is one for which I would proudly volunteer. In fact, I can't wait to get my bumper sticker!

Alyson writes:
I have voted Republican in every presidential election since 1991. I would enthusiastically support a McCain-Lieberman ticket as would many of my fellow Republicans.

Marcel writes:
Whatever gains McCain would get from the center by choosing Lieberman as his VP would be more than offset by the losses from the right. As an Obama supporter, I like the idea. I think it’s a great way to ensure an Obama victory.

Kevin writes:
The only thing that a McCain/Lieberman ticket would remind me of would be those two old guys in the balcony on the Muppet Show.

Filed under: 2008 Election • Joe Lieberman • John McCain
  1. Dave of Oregon

This will once and for all find whether Lieberman is a republican in democrat clothing! It would be a good pick, yet losing pick to Obama!

August 11, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  2. Jim in BC

It would be a mirror match and a definite losing ticket since both of them are blatant politicians of convenience.

Although the Lieb-man seems to have a better grasp of world geography and could help McCain in that respect.

August 11, 2008 at 1:57 pm |
  3. James Marshall, Cullowhee

Absolutely! It will be a marriage made in Heaven! Those two are just of the same mind so there would be no controversy between them. Considering their age and the fact that McCain and Cindi have already gotten past theirs and everyone has forgotten, I don't believe either of the two will be caught in a sex scandal. But if the pair is elected we will continue their arabic wars as long as they are in office.

August 11, 2008 at 1:59 pm |
  4. Candy West Virginia

Joe Lieberman used to be a democrat. Then he switched to Independent. Since I have no clue on where he stands on the issues i think he would be perfect for McCain who also has no idea where he stands on the issues.

August 11, 2008 at 1:59 pm |
  5. Steve of Hohenwald TN.

Yes!!There both low life turncoats.

August 11, 2008 at 1:59 pm |
  6. Connie

Jack, I think he would be a great choice, that should piss the republican base off. The old man and the turn coat. Maybe Zell Miller could be there press secretary. Connie from Indiana

August 11, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  7. Julie from Los Angeles

McCain-Lieberman is a GREAT ticket–for Democrats.

August 11, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  8. Kim Rochester,NY

Only if you want someone who is useless and a suck up as the VP. Then this is a perfect ticket.

August 11, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  9. Phillis an American in Germany

Of course, McCain is going to need someone to help him get the facts straight. But then again, he has his mama and Cindy by his side to whisper in his ear when he goofs up.

August 11, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  10. Mark - Asheville, NC

Yuck. A good pick if McCain wants to risk losing. It would not only alienate his base, but it would terribly annoy the many Dems who might cross over and vote for him.

He can certainly do better than this; Gen Powell should be his first pick.

August 11, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  11. raul from kentucky

at least Lieberman can help McCain whenever he forgets something again

August 11, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  12. circy in New Mexico

I've long thought that McCain was a horrible choice for any political office, and that it couldn't get any worse. But, McCain (war) and Liberman (Israel) would keep us in the Middle East until doomsday.

August 11, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  13. James from Virginia

no because he would be seen as the ultimate flip flopper. one who cannot make up his mind about which party he supports. either way it did not help al gore it will not help mcshame.

August 11, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  14. Fish, Richfield, MN

Yes I would like a ticket where the VP is courageous enough to interrupt McShame everytime he makes a stupid mistake of confusing Al-qaida with Iraqi terrorists or seems to have lost in the "Iraqi-Pakistan border"

August 11, 2008 at 2:06 pm |
  15. Brad Mahoney

Only if you enjoy war.

August 11, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  16. james east st louis il

yes jack and there convention could be sponcerd by depends

August 11, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  17. Emma, San Jose, CA

Would Lieberman make a good president? I don't think so.

August 11, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  18. Ed Reed

Yes. If your eager for our war with Iran, it's perfect.

Ed Reed
    Port Aransas, TX

August 11, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  19. Mike Nunn - Hot Springs, Ar.

Two sneaky old dudes who can lead each other to the bathroom. Never know when one of them will need help finding his way.

August 11, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  20. David, Orlando, FL

Perfect, an old geezer (like me) who is stuck in the past and a turncoat.

August 11, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  21. Esther Malkawi

did it work for Gore to have Lie-berman on his ticket?

August 11, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  22. Heather- Kennesaw, GA

No, but it sure would be great for the Democrats! It would help McCain further confuse, infuriate and diminish that peskey Republican base. As for Independents, a few might be garnered, but not as many as the Republican base will lose. Lieberman might as well to join the ranks of Zell Miller anyway.

August 11, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  23. Jackie in Dallas

Yuck. Gag. Ugh. I think those will pass the censors! McCain with ANYONE will not be getting my vote.

August 11, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  24. Michael, Lorain, Ohio

Picking Joe Lieberman would be good for the Democrats but I'm not so sure it would be a good choice for McCain. Two, old men in the Whitehouse (and a third in the Situation Room) doesn't constitute the drastic, radical change that we so desperately need in this country. Besides, who wants a running mate that changes direction when he couldn't get elected during his last primary bid. That would make the McCain ticket, the Flip-Flop ticket.

August 11, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  25. Frank Canada

Well Jack at least it would give them a combined life experience of over 140 years and both could relate to what life was like in the '40s.

Also maybe Lieberman could help John with his geography and secular deficiences but the Republicans would likely reject this combination as Joe is likely far to intelligent for their tastes if you take into account both Bush's and McCain's scholarly achievements.

August 11, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  26. Addalou Davis-Sacramento, CA

They deserve each other–both were once principled politicians, now they are both Rovian Repubicans–I hope he does choose Lieberman–it will hopefully ensure the loss McCain deserves. Seen his recent ad blaming Obama for gas prices–despicable, decietful, and typical Rove.

August 11, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  27. Jed in Redding, CA

It'll help him just as much as it helped Al Gore - he'll lose.

August 11, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  28. Chad , Los Angeles

He is better than all the GOP's candidates. But McCain's best chance to win is to have Al Gore or Hillary as his V.P. If he picks anyone else, it should be a landslide victory for Obama!

August 11, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  29. Anthony Smith

Yeah, they are both flip flops. Ask Al how he was on the ticket?

Wildwood Crest, NJ

August 11, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  30. Ralph, Corpus Christi

God forbid, no. A double yawner at campaign speeches.

August 11, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  31. Donna Colorado Springs,Co

It's a perfect ticket for the republicans. Two flip-flopping hypocrits who certainly deserve each other.!

August 11, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  32. Marc, Canada

Senator John "Dr. Evil" McCain should pick "Mini – Me" as his running mate. Then they could ruin I mean rule the world.

Seriously, the only partner that could make John McCain a credible choice is Barack Obama but you would have to reverse the ticket.

August 11, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  33. Terrence, Georgia

I think McCain and Lieberman would make a great ticket. With these two together the McCain campaigns message can become even more jumbled up and confusing.

August 11, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  34. Rex in Portland, Ore.

Ite all depends on how bad you want to win Connecticutt. Go for it, John.

August 11, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  35. BOB in Michigan

Yes Jack, as an Obama supporter I think it's perfect.

August 11, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  36. Chris

It's great for Democrats – it would put Lieberman in the GOP where he belongs with McCain and all the other warmongers.

thousand oaks ca

August 11, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  37. Deb, Allentown, PA

I think Lieberman would be a disastrous pick for McCain (maybe he could announce him tomorrow?). While he might appeal to a number of independent voters, I think he'll alienate the die-hard GOP loyalists and conservatives, especially in light of his recent contribution to the DSCC.

August 11, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  38. Marie, Toronto

Paris Hilton would be a good fit with the Washington celebrity John McCain.

August 11, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  39. Wendy, San Rafael

If he wants to lose the Republican base. Sure. Lieberman is too progressive on social issues. It is a sure failed ticket and I hope he chooses him.

August 11, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  40. Russ - Johnston, IA

Are you kidding me? That would be political suicide for Johnny Mac!
    First, one of the most boring, uninspiring speakers running for Pres., and now you suggest THE most boring, monotone, 'put-me-to-sleep', panzy-a$$ed speakers/Senator of the whole bunch to be his VP? Lieberman or Lindsey Graham are 2 of Mac's biggest Klingons, and I wouldn't want either one for VP!

August 11, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  41. Ralph in New York City

No, Jack - for the age reason only, for he has the ability to work faithfully for our country, as he has in the past. Many worry about McCain's advanced age, and to have a running mate also advanced in years may scare voters away who may be needed to elect the GOP candidate.

August 11, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  42. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Lieberman is a great choice for McCain's VP. He's done a great job standing by John McCain and whispering in his ear correcting him. The two of them would be the greatest show on earth.

August 11, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  43. Uche, Harrisburg, PA

Please Jack. I know Senator McSame needs someone to correct him each time he makes an unforced verbal error but I can no longer stand the sight of Senator Lieberman having to whisper into his deaf old ears

August 11, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  44. Ryan - Champaign, IL

Jack, wouldn't having two frauds on the same ticket be a little unbalanced?

August 11, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  45. linda n carolina

McCain and Lieberman= Landslide victory for Obama.

August 11, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  46. Michelle, Washington DC

Maybe not but they sure would make a great movie, Boring and Boringer. I can see it now...audience falling asleep to the dulcet tones of McCain and Lieberman on the big screen...Yawn, I think I'll take my afternoon nap now.

August 11, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  47. Larry in Florida

Is this a serious question Jack? When ever I hear either one of them speak I go into a coma. Obama would love it. I'm pretty sure we'd be talking landslide for the other side.

August 11, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  48. Rufus in Twentynine Palms, CA

Yeah Jack, Dumb and Dumber...that's the ticket! Nothing beats two old trigger-happy Warmongers on the road to nuclear war. I like it!

August 11, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  49. Gary of El Centro, Ca

As a VP pick, Joe didn't do much to help Gore get elected in 2000. I doubt that he would make much difference for McCains chances, which are slim and none to begin with.

August 11, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  50. Mark, Oklahoma City

Will "you people" in the media please STOP bringing up Lieberman as some kind of God-Send who should be put on every presidential ticket from now until doomsday! Am I missing something here? What is so great about this pale, low-key Senator that everyone is so crazy about? If I were a dictator in a dangerous third world nation, Lieberman is the LAST person I would be afraid of!

Mark
    OKC

August 11, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  51. John in CA

It's a terrific choice. With Lieberman at his side McCain may finally learn the difference between "Shia" and "Sunni".

If he adds Paris Hilton to the team, he might even learn how to use the Internet!

August 11, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  52. Linda in Florida

I am not voting for McBush, but why would he want another one who lives in the past to be his VP?

August 11, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  53. Richard McKinney, Texas

No. Not at all. That would be the blind leading the blind old and stupid.

August 11, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  54. Rosalynd Florida

If McCain picked Lieberman as a VP Obama and team could stop campaigning and start measuring the oval office windows for new drapes.

August 11, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  55. JT in NYC

They deserve each other.

August 11, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  56. Karl in CA

As a former Democrat, turned Independent and now brown-nosing the Republicans, he doesn't really appeal to anyone. That would make him an excellent VP choice in my book. Besides, if McCain wins, God forbid, he will be there daily to whisper the correct information into John's ear.

August 11, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  57. Bizz - Quarryville, PA

It doesn't matter to me if he would choose Paris Hilton or Britney Spears. Because I'm not voting for him.

August 11, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  58. Mike from NYC

McCain needs a young Republican not an old Democrat as his running mate

August 11, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  59. Shafi Alam

Joe Lieberman while he was a democrat was thought to be good pick as V.P. We know it didn’t help. Now being independent and as a labeled strong supporter of Iraq war, will he help the rival Republican Party? Obama got presumably the Democratic Party nomination by being strong against the war. He got support of more than 18 million voters. American people are right by showing their feeling against the war. It has caused a loss of more than four thousand American soldiers, loss of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives, waste of hundreds of billions of tax money, and not less important so much mess in their daily lives. The Americans will continue to be right by showing their feeling against the people who supported the Iraq war on November 4th election.

Shafi Alam
    Austin, Texas
    Now Tokyo, Japan

August 11, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  60. Marilyn from Louisiana

I think this is an outstanding choice. With McCain and Lieberman on the same ticket....... Obama has NO problem winning the election.

August 11, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  61. Sally, Seattle

The Republican base doesn't like McCain and the Democratic base doesn't like Lieberman. I can't think of a better match.

August 11, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  62. Richard - A New Independent

You Betcha -
    They deserve each other - And If they are Elected, the American people deserve them –
    Knoxville

August 11, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  63. Kelly, Philadelphia

Sure! Since I'm voting for Obama. Lieberman is the ultimate flip-flopper. He went from Democrat to Independent to pseudo-Republican. That works fine for me!

August 11, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  64. Ed from Durango, Colorado

Please keep me from gagging.

August 11, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  65. Brian - Trinidad

No!No!No!No! Lieberman is a great back-room guy,but image-wise, is a loser.

August 11, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  66. Patrick in Hampstead , MD

Jack – Lieberman brings nothing to John McCain. McCain needs someone younger and from a vote rich state like Florida. Plus, does anyone think McCain could last 8 years? Lieberman is a yes man for war, yeterdays news.

August 11, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  67. David from California

Lieberman is a totally self-centered jerk. It is amazing he wasn't always a Republican because he has the typical GOP style – arrogant and incompetent. Sure, he's perfect for McCain.

August 11, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  68. Ray, Florida

I think it would be a great match Jack!
    They could both slither across the country together!

August 11, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  69. kenneth sibbett

why not Jack? Abbott and Costello, Martin and Lewis, I need all the laughs I can get.

Kenneth Chadbourn N.C.

August 11, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  70. Greg in Cabot AR

When I see the two of them together, I have a hard time telling them apart....they look alike, sound alike and both don't appear to have a clue as to what this country really needs is change....not more of the same....kinda like double vision without my bifocals.

August 11, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  71. John, NC

I think it would be a good move from McCain, but it would make Lieberman look like a traitor. I don't see how Lieberman wants to join someone who shares president Bush's ideas. They were both wrong about Iraq, just to mention one issue, and acted without hesitation. Now, I don't want to excuse Russia but, Bush and McCain have no shame to ask them to leave Georgia because they're been dissproportionate?

August 11, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  72. Stacy from Beautiful Loudoun County Virginia

Jack, McCain and Lieberman would cure insomnia in this country. I don’t know if it would do anything other than that.

August 11, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  73. Paula from Georgia

I think McCain will choose someone younger. But the two wiil agree on their beliefs. From Government spending and social issues. It won't be Lieberman.

August 11, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  74. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Jack

Perfect !!!!! He can remind McBush Jr. when he makes a mistake. Boy, we'll have the busiest VP ever !!!!

4 more wars, 4 more wars (you all thought Bush's people were saying 4 more years – didn't you?).

Thanks,
    Barbara

August 11, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  75. Sly, Michigan

Jack, Are you serious? McCain is 71 and Lieberman is 66, That sounds like the "Geritol Gang" to me.

August 11, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  76. mark, Temple TX

Wouldn't get much done with sleep aand sleepier in office. Having said that, Joe is a good info man when McBush forgets what he's talking about or gets lost in the facts, which is most of the time. Maybe Joe can tell better jokes and read the teleprompter better

August 11, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  77. Dan, Chantilly VA

Yeah, that's what McCain needs; a rich old white guy with the looks of skeletor and the personality of a radish. The only people in this country who still like Lieberman are the Connecticut voters. Liberals hate him because they feel abandoned, conservatives hate him because he's still a bit liberal, and moderates hate him because he claims to be both while being neither. Al Gore probably might have won in 2000 if it weren't for this stiff.

August 11, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  78. Stacy from Fairfax, VA

Now that would be interesting ticket. While I will be voting for Obama and whomever he chooses, a McCain/Lieberman ticket would be very tempting to independent and moderate Republicans and Democrats. Very interesting, indeed.

August 11, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  79. mariel

McCain & Mini Me – Perfect!

August 11, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  80. Dick B

I think the most important aspect of picking a vp is that they are shorter than the president. This is "the" problem with Bush and Cheney. Cheney is taller and overshadows GW. Libberman is shorter than McCain so it seems to me he would be a good choice.

August 11, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  81. Larry from Georgetown, Texas

Yes, Benedict Arnold would be a great pick for Flip flopper John and besides that it doesn't matter to me I'm voting for the other guy.

August 11, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  82. Annie, Atlanta

Jack, that guy gives me the creeps. McCain should go for it. They'd be like two peas in a pod.

August 11, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  83. Julianna in Biloxi

Two Grumpy Old Men. It's time for fresh faces.

August 11, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  84. Billy G in Las Vegas

I don't know about McCain picking "The Lieberweasel" as his VP BUT in ANY case IF the Democrates can get close to a "supermajority" in the Senate, he should be stripped of ALL power after the election. he's the most disgusting traitor since Benedict Arnold and hopefully a "McSame-Lieberweasel" Republican ticket will lose HUGE in November.

August 11, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  85. Cynthia

No, because they both look to be about the same age. I would be really worried if his running mate was anywhere near his age. There are only two positives as I see it if he were to pick him is (1) Lieberman could correct Senator McCain on his misspeaks if were with him at all time and (2) picking him should help the Democrats to win.

August 11, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  86. Chuck, Eugene Oregon

You must be kidding, those two are also in the group from Washington DC that need to be replaced. Neither of them have acted in the best interest of this country. They have both acted and reacted in the best interest of thier political careers. They are both war mongers, and if they were in power now I fear we would be fighting Russia or Iran right now or very soon. This country has made enough mistakes lately and we need to regroup, refocus, clean up our own house then and only then take a look at helping other countries resolve issues that effect them and the world as a whole. You notice I said help, no more wars, we can not as a country or world continue to toss bombs back and forth. We must learn to live in peace and harmony, respecting each others difference and helping each other resolve conflicts with our neighbors with out killing off thousands upon thousands of innocent people.

August 11, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  87. Pat,Lexington, Ky.

Oh PLEASE – NOOOO!! They look like twins!

Did you know that Lieberman called the paris/brittany ad "CUTE"?? He really makes no more good sense than McCain.

So, since I'm for Obama, maybe it would be a good thing for McCain to choose Joe!

August 11, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  88. Marty

It's a great ticket! These two men have a lot in common, such as being unable to decide what side they are on and trying to pander to the independents with no regard for the Republican base. Sounds like a match made in heaven to me.

August 11, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  89. George

Yes, PULLESSE !!! He would have a lot of weight to throw around, however it would hang around McCains neck. He couldn't even help to insure votes in his home state, let alone across the nation. He is a hawk in sheeps clothing, but most people already know that, so yes please. pick Liebermann.....

August 11, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  90. Geri Britt

Geri – Mead, OK

August 11, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  91. Howard M, Bolingbrook IL

I hope they run together. That ticket would be a sure loser, let em run.

August 11, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  92. Nabeel from Wash. DC

Its perfect, because if this world really is as messed up as it seems, and those two buffoons get elected, they can both take days off (or months or years like W. did) together and leave those two old gas bags from the muppets in charge and no one would know the difference. heck, why don't those two just run in place of them??

August 11, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  93. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Jack, He's and ethical and honorable man, but McCain needs someone who will generate more excitement.

August 11, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  94. Major Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Jack: Joe Lieberman as McCain's running mate.........Wimpy did add some humor to Popye.

August 11, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  95. Paul, Columbia, SC

Lieberman would be a good pick to be a "heartbeat away"; providing he knows CPR.

August 11, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  96. Rufus in Twentynine Palms, CA

August 11, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  97. Chris

Lieberman would be a bad move for sure. I'd vote for the ticket, but would vote for it anyway since anything is better than that stuffed suit called Obama. Unfortunately Americans are hung up on Mormons and Jews...if McCain put Lieberman on the ticket he would lose for sure.

August 11, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  98. Tom , Huntington

Since it worked so well for Gore, Lieberman can set a record for losing the Vice Presidency for two parties.

August 11, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  99. Dave from Maryland

That would be a GREAT ticket, Jack... for the DEMOCRATS! Lieberman has the honor and integrity of a wet noodle. He's not who I'd pick for MY wingman and I doubt that many other Americans would. The only other sure-looser choice McCain could make would be Connie Rice.

August 11, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  100. Joey

He is two faced enough. He is not loyal to the Democrat party anymore and is acting more Republican as a back stabber so why not.

August 11, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  101. richard a. winkler

Turncoat Joe is the perfect running mate for McCain.

That way McCain will be sure to lose.

August 11, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  102. dennis north carolina

No matter who McCajn picks as his partner, if elected we will have four more years of poor leadership as we have had in the past twenty years. We will be one step closer to complete failure as a country.

August 11, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  103. Bernie of Lowell, MA

Both are war hawks who have already affirmed their allegiance to constant war.

We need a reprieve from this mania.

No! No! No! to the 'military-industrial complex'.

Bernie
    Lowell, MA

August 11, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  104. Ed North Carolina

I'd love to see it. That just might put Obama over the top.

August 11, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  105. AndyZ Fairfax, VA

Sure. Joe has experience as a loser. Tell McCain to pick Romney as his VP and he 'might' have a chance of winning.

August 11, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  106. Odessa

nope..lieberman didn't do anything for al gore so i won't help mccain to win either.lieberman has changed his tune since the last election.remember the movie from HBO- "recount"?.

August 11, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  107. Diane, Barneveld, NY

They make a swell couple. They can ride off into the sunset together looking for nursing homes to preside over when they lose the election in November.

August 11, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  108. Jan Davis, Knoxville, TN

McCain/Lieberman would be a great ticket for the Democrats to run against. Both of them are war mongers and will lead this country into more unnecessary wars. Besides, McCain gets all his cues from Lieberman. Lieberman should be kicked out of the Democratic Party ASAP!

August 11, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  109. Al, Lawrence KS

I'm confused, Jack. Are these two different people?

August 11, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  110. Major Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

No. McCain would be better off picking his nose, than selecting Liberman.

August 11, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  111. anthony in New Hampshire

Perfect match McCain & Lieberman, the odd couple. Which one is the neat freak. Ms. Budd for first lady and the Lawrence Welk Band playing Happy Days Are Here again at the innaugural ball.....

August 11, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  112. Linda, Ruther Glen, Va

Two old white hair dudes, OMG, Jack, Dah.

Paris Hilton for President!!!

August 11, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  113. Marie Ontario

What a team little hope and no hope! On second thought Lieberman is likely the only person McCain could choose who wouldn't be a Bush/Cheney crony but then people would be left wondering who will out live who.

August 11, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  114. Richard, Syracuse, NY

This is a Dream Ticket. For the Democratic Party.

August 11, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  115. angel in Louisiana

Not if he wants to win. He really needs someone that can attract younger voters. I don't care for Obama or McCain so their choice for a running mate could decide my vote.

August 11, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  116. Eric from Toronto

I don't expect you to put this on the air (or maybe even on the website) but here goes:
    For the sort of person who will never vote for an African-American man for President, the prospect of voting for a Jewish man for heartbeat-away-from-President is just as unpalatable. And Sen. McCain needs all the votes he can get, whether they come for the right reasons or the wrong ones, so he won't take the risk with Sen. Lieberman.

August 11, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  117. Chris in Ks

Why not? They've both fip-flopped on their core beliefs, it seems like the perfect GOP ticket.

August 11, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  118. John, Fort Collins, CO

It might be interesting. In a couple of years, they could be scooting around the Whitehouse in matching Rascals.

August 11, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  119. angie

Well jack who else will be there to whisper in mccains ear when hes confused????

August 11, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  120. Vicki Ontario Canada

Whenever I need a good laugh I turn to Jack's file. This topic is the best yet.. Whoever thought up the idea of Leiberman for VP sure hit upon a good subject. I know nothing about Leiberman but the two do look like twins.

August 11, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  121. Terry from North Carolina

Jack
    How many times is Joe Lieberman going to resurface ? If John McCain has any chance at all it will not be with Lieberman, it will have to be with Romney.

August 11, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  122. Richard Canada

Joe Lieberman will do whatever it takes to protect his Connecticut constituents from the evil nuclear intentions of Iran even if it causes the closure of the Straits of Hormuz and the further decline of the American economy. Mc Cain can show his willingness to reach across the isle for the sake of government unity by selecting Lieberman to be his Vice President or he can appoint him to be Secretary of Defense if he's elected. Lieberman's inclusion in a possible McCain administration is almost a guarantee of military conflict with Iran.

August 11, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  123. Bernie of Lowell, MA

Actually, they'd make a good comedy act.

John McCain could make an absurd remark: Joe would be there to correct him. This team would generate as many laughs as an Edgar Bergen or another one of the comics who propped a marionette on his arm.

Bernie
    Lowell, MA

August 11, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  124. Mike P. L.A.

Joe makes me sick, a complete and utter sell out. No body wanted him so he had to change parties. I hope they are a ticket, so they can lose!

August 11, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  125. Mike, Vancouver BC

John McCain would be in a dilema, he would have a Demapublican as a VP (you know the ones who give the Democratic Party $115,000).

John would have to talk to McBusch and ask him if it was OK to have 2 old white haired wrinkly men on the ticket, mind you they could remind each other about what they have forgotten or not. And another real plus for the Repugs is that they most certainly will fool the young voters, in fact the yougnsters won't be able to tell which wrinkle is the real "JOHN". Leib will be happy to have the "JOHN" to remind him which day it is, a DEM DAY or a REPUG day.

I think it makes for a gay OLD time.

Oh, and by the way it is good to note that they will have aides to keep them on schedule and not playing with the Buffalo Chips to long.

August 11, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  126. Mickie in Philadelphia, PA

I applaud Eric of Toronto only for his honesty. Unfortunately, there are many who think the way he does and will not admit their bias, but would also rather sacrifice the country and vote for a warmonger who would go to war with Iran and possibly every other country (because that is the only thing McShame knows about is war) and loves joking about bombing Iran. Don't be fooled by his words, if he teams up with Lieberman, you can bet every country not in step with Israel will be at risk. Wonder why Eric cares since he chooses to live in Canada any way.

August 11, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  127. Mike from Baltimore, MD

Jack,

It would not be a good ticket. Lieberman is not an exciting speaker and would cause the right-wing of the Republcan party to revolt at the Republican Convention in Minnesota. VP nominees must be comfortable attacking the other party's nominee, something which Lieberman is not. Also, let's not forget that abysmal debate performance Lieberman put up in 2000 against Dick Cheney.

August 11, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  128. Ron in Indiana

Rich old white men have been running this country into the ground for many years. Last thing we need is two more rich old white men continuing in this grand tradition.

We need a YOUNG President and a YOUNG VP. Barack Obama and Evan Bayh sound like a great combination to me.

August 11, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  129. Peter Connecticut

Lowell Weicker was a former Ct Republican Senator who was defeated by Lieberman in 1988. He then ran for Governer as an Independent and won. He signed into law a state income tax for CT . Lieberman was defeated in his last primary and ran and won as an Independent. Do I dectect a trend. A "Republican" raising taxes. A "Democrate " supporting war. If you lose your party's support, run as an independent and stick it to your constituents when they're stupid enough to re-elect you. The message is: I'm a turncoat, what did you expect?(when I stick it to you.)
    I fererenty hope McCain selects Lieberman as his VP

August 11, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  130. JW Georgia

An old fool and a party turn-coat, both war hawks? Perfect.

August 11, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  131. Doug from Bloomington IN

Joe has demonstrated that he can lose a vice-presidential race before. He's free to do it again. McCain doesn't need that kind of help. Joe has the charisma of a bowl of jello. He's a hypocrite; imagine being a member of the generally peace-loving jewish faith who loves war and all that goes with it.

And remember....Joe gave up being a democrat during the Bush years. That alone says a lot. He's no independent, either. He's been following McCain around like a lost puppy.

I want my elected representatives and executives to be people who can stand on their own two feet!

August 11, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  132. Brian

Their bumper stickers can read "Grumpy Old Men '08"

August 11, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  133. wally Ruehmann las Vegas nv

perfect. the twins, McCain's seeing eye dog, one could lead the other off the cliff.

August 11, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  134. Ron Christman

Jack,

Let's see. Pairing a former self-proclaimed maverick now Neo-Con lacky with a former Democrat, then former self proclaimed Independent who was really a back room Republican, but is now a right-wing member of the Israeli Likud party. Only someone who has had too much of Cindi's beer could come up with this dream team.

The funniest thing about this suggestion is McCain, Lieberman, their Neo-Con friends, and the Israelis probably think it's a good idea! Why the good people of Connecticut haven't moved to impeach their turncoat Senator is beyond me.

Ron
    Washington, Pa.

August 11, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  135. femi from Los Angeles

Have you watch that movie called bucket list, well this two are on the last leg of political lifes, let them have fun now, because the fun will end come Nov 08 and, as for Lieberman his days are number as politician and always on losing side,after McCain can have more time answering that 3 o'clock phone call.

August 11, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  136. A. P. Arthur

Good choice. It's been my choice from the beginning. Now, if they could win the election.

August 11, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  137. Ray Kinserlow

II would prefer Dick Cheney.

Ray Kinserlow
    Lubbock, Texas

August 11, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  138. Amarissa

I'll take any ticket except Obama! Much rather sacrifice 4 more years of the same (or a little better) than going worse with the rookie senator, specially now that it seems more wars are coming!
    Florida

August 11, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  139. eric

I guess he would be a wonderful pick if for those hoping that we have a woman in the White House..Speaker of theHouse Nancy Pelosi!

August 11, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  140. JAMES

This ticket would surely hand it to Obama. I only wish Gore had not have picked him back in 2000 (of course, Gore should have been president as we all know who really won!) Do you think all those southerner rednecks and southern evangelicals would vote for a Jew as VP? I grew up in the south (Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama)and I know that things have not changed down there, regardless of what you hear. I see it every time I visit relatives there. Of course, they don't want Obama as president, either.

August 11, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  141. Darren S.

A flip-flopping president matched with a flip-flopping vice president, seems like a match made in Heaven to me

August 11, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  142. mello doug, New Mexico

Just what would a Lieberman, McCain ticket be good for? Oh yeah, lets stay in Iraq another 100 years. The US of A will really be bankrupt. Oh joy!

August 11, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  143. Will from San Jose, CA

Al Gore called, he wants his failed campaign back.

August 11, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  144. Anne/Seattle

Lieberman lost my respect when the best an "independent" could do was support a lackluster, temperamental, worn out Republican. That he's even being considered is a great commentary on the state of the Republican party. If they were strong with sound principles and ideas, they could find an attractive candidate in their own ranks. I'm voting for Obama and feel McCain/Lieberman would make a fine losing team.

August 11, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  145. Jon from Farmington Hills, MI

...even my Jewish friends don't like Lieberman!

August 11, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  146. Ron from SF

It's a great ticket for the Democrats. Wow, talk about an ad for fiip flops! First list some of the positions that McCain has taken both sides on (over 30 that I can think of) and then add Lieberman. The line would be "Joe used to be a Democrat, before he started cozying up to Bush and the Radical Right". First show a picture of Gore and Lieberman at the 2000 convention, then cut to a picture of Bush kissing Joe, which fades to Bush and then to a combined face of Bush and McCain that Moveon has already. Over that combined face, voice over says "we can't afford 4 more years of John McSame".

August 11, 2008 at 4:20 pm |
  147. Marilyn, Powell Ohio

Great pick because McCain needs him, you know, to advise him what state he is in (as in "state of mind".) And, of course, we could listen to Lieberman gush about being Jewish and picked as a VP but it ain't never gonna happen!

August 11, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  148. Lisa in GA.

Jack, only if McCain wins because he will need Liberman they to remind him of everything he cannot remember. No one likes Liberman so yes... this will just make McCain less likeable than he already is.

August 11, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  149. jonathan-Brooksvile FL

Absolutly not, Mccain already has troubles with his own party's reluctant support. He is already know for reaching across party lines, therefore it eliminates any need for such a drastic choice. He must assure his party and strengthen his weakest issue: the economy. If not he will have weak party support and wil not be able to grab new votes from undecied voters.

August 11, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  150. Nuwan Sam

Not good for republicans. Good for democrats. In other words, it will not favor McCain.

– Nuwan from Houston, TX

August 11, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  151. Nancy, Tennessee

Joe Liberman would be a fine choice for Vice President for McCain. At least we know that Joe will follow McCain around if he gets elected and correct his goofs as they go. Sounds silly, but it might just work. McCain can hold the office and Liberman can hold the hand of John McCain.

August 11, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  152. David in Granville, Ohio

Yes. Lets couple it with Obama / Colin Powell and we will have a really interesting mix to choose from!

August 11, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  153. Diana Ewing NJ

Great Ticket for the GOP... then we could dislike the VP more than the President..

August 11, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  154. Willow, Sheldon Iowa

Well, I read on one of the political sites that Lieberman gave several hundred thousand dollars to the DNC to assist them in the elections this year. So I really doubt if McCain wants him. I really think that no person of substance will want to be McCain's VP. Have you noticed how some of them wince when he messes up so bad in his town hall meetings? the only one I can think that would willingly be VP would be Romney. Romney would be the VP for anybody at any time. Romney would even make a bad used car salesman.

August 11, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  155. james in florida

Dear Jack

Can someone tell me exactly what Liberman is, democract or republicn or independent.

He seems to switch and side with who ever is winning.

These two willl go down in history as the boringest President and VP in history.

Frightning

August 11, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  156. Len in Clarkston, WA

Sure! They could call it the Cheech and Chong Go to Washington Show." Only problem though. Probably neither one of them knows who Cheech and Chong are.

This would be a winning ticket.....for the Dems.

August 11, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  157. Shel

Its a match made in heaven.... for Democrats

Shelley
    SLC, UT

August 11, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  158. james in florida

Grumpy old men o8

Now that is some funny s-

August 11, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  159. Jamie Davidson from Fort Worth

It would be really good...for Obama

August 11, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  160. Kevin in Denver, CO

Absolutely; another 1950's cold war world view is just what the ticket needs. The Russians are invading Georgia and half of MCain's supporters are already wondering when the Ruskie will hit the Florida border. These two are just the guys to beat back the red menace.

August 11, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  161. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Lieberman would be a great pick for McCain's V.P. He'll advise McCain that he doesn't need to use the "Red" button against Russia because it's not "Atlanta, Georgia" that's under attack.

August 11, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  162. Paul

Jack,
    No it would only increase THE CAMPAIN OF FEAR run by McCain so far. McCain needs to find himself and change his tactics to win. Liberman on the ticket will not make it a wining ticket. He would be better off with Paris Hilton to keep the "Old White Haired Dude" in line.
    Paul
    Round Rock, Texas

August 11, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  163. Hillary till the END!

Lieberman is the reason I did not vote for Al Gore, he will certainly be the reason I would not vote in November. I am a Democrat, but cant stand Obama, and if McCain chooses Lieberman, this democrat will stay home!

August 11, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  164. Linda Richards

Was the plan all along that Lieberman help screw up Gore's bid for President and then be rewarded in the end by the Republicans? I hate to buy into conspiracy theories. Linda in Woodbury, NJ

August 11, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  165. Scott, Salem MA

To ensure defeat, McCain should choose Lieberman. It can be called the fear ticket.

August 11, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  166. mare

Neither one has it period!

August 11, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  167. Ed

Jack,

I hope it happens!

Ed
    Woodbridge,Va.

August 11, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  168. Sandi AZ

Good match Jack! The blind leading the blind!!

August 11, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  169. Karen - Nashville

Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee.

August 11, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  170. David A Morse, Stoneham, MA

Jack:

Hell Yes! Then Joe Lieberman can be the first person to be Vice President on both major party's loosing ticket.

August 11, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  171. bburke

Yes. Liebermann, even at 66, remembers more details about the middle East than McCain has bothered to find out. At least, he hasn't been exposed to the official "information" bites Republicans write for their membership so they didn't have to bother to learn "facts" and just spout whatever information they are handed (i.e., Iran training Al Quida to fight in Iraq).

Barbara in Tennessee

August 11, 2008 at 4:32 pm |
  172. Jesse Curry

Jack:

Forget it! McCain is already viewed suspiciously by the conservative base and picking Lieberman wouldn't help him any considering Lieberman still caucasses with, and in large part, votes with the Democrats. The conservatives would be in such an uproar that it could cost McCain the election. Oh, wait a minute – he may have already lost it with his ridiculous television ad strategy.

Jesse Curry
    Circleville, Ohio

August 11, 2008 at 4:32 pm |
  173. DAK

Jack
    A resounding NO!!
    These two, McCain and Liberman, do not equal ONE likeable personailty! And, I'm NOT an Obama fan.

August 11, 2008 at 4:33 pm |
  174. Toni Boutwell, Myrtle Beach SC

No, even though Liberman is a traitor to his party, he still has a record of respect for women's rights, and gay rights. He is in favor of the rule of law and actually believes in our constitution.All these things make him inelegiable for a republican ticket.

August 11, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  175. steve

Jack,

McCain would be foolish to choose Lieberman. It would result in a ticket that niether the base nor independents would find appealing. Further, both McCain and Lieberman fail to articulate their positions well. In other words, the result would be an entire ticket without the ability to effectively communicate AND inspire voters.

August 11, 2008 at 4:35 pm |
  176. Captain Ned in Tampa, FL

Let’s get this straight Jack. The combined ages of McCain and Lieberman is 137? All things being equal, that means Barack Obama can still put my 89 year old grandmother on his ticket. She can muster up the old blue-haired lady vote that Hillary so coveted, and when Obama becomes President, he can send her over to the Senate to beat them with her cane..especially those Senators reluctant to vote for his progressive policies. When she’s not chastising the “Millionaires Club” for not brushing their teeth or cleaning behind their ears, Granny can bake the little rugrats cookies. Barack and Granny in ‘08!

August 11, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  177. Dave in MO

It would be the winning ticket. For McCain to put an independent as VP of which Al Gore once thought enough of to make him the number 2 guy on his ticket would say a lot. A moderate Republican and a left leaning Independent now that would be unbelievable. Now that is change we can all believe in!

August 11, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  178. Tom in New Hope, MN

OKay McCain here is your chance to prove your a real MAVERICK. Go ahead and pick Lieberman and help out the Democratics.

Vote wisely!

August 11, 2008 at 4:55 pm |
  179. Jim, Missouri

Absolutely, the are two peas in the same pod (Iraq) and the sooner they are sent back to their states the better!

August 11, 2008 at 4:55 pm |
  180. Craig, Ocala FL

It would help Mccain, every time that his staight talk is off. Joe could step up to help correct his misstatement. The Gop wants Clinton for VP to energize the base. The Dems. would really energize against Joe as the VP!

August 11, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  181. Carlton, New Hampshire

You mean Bush/Cheney lite ..... Sure hand November over to Obama and ?????

August 11, 2008 at 4:59 pm |
  182. David NY

This is a great pick if you are a demacrat. If you are a republican this would be your worst nightmare. Lieberman is the ultimate flip flopper. If you want a complete brown noser, than he is the man. No one does brown nosing better than Joe Lieberman. If Americans were dumb enough to elect this ticket it would set our nation back 100 years at least. The same 100 years that McCain is talking about staying in Iraq.

August 11, 2008 at 5:01 pm |
  183. Rocky from Chicopee, Ma

Poor choice. Dan Quale would be better.

August 11, 2008 at 5:01 pm |
  184. Glaser

Jack,

I prefer McCain-Cafferty.

Glaser from Montana

August 11, 2008 at 5:02 pm |
  185. Karin

McCain/Lieberman ticket is perfect.
    2 mean old males in diapers

August 11, 2008 at 5:03 pm |
  186. John from Las Vegas

Lieberman would only double up the superiority factor in world events and true experience that McCain already holds. McCain can look elsewhere for someone that would help his weakness, charisma.

August 11, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  187. Tim in California

Steve above notes....."the result would be an entire ticket without the ability to effectively communicate AND inspire voters."

lets see.......look up the definition of OXYMORON.....the dictionary might have pictures of these two goofballs "inspiring" voters.

Have we fallen that far to think either McCain could inspire anyone besides a lobbyist with a sack of $100 bills?

I'm still waiting for someone to show me the difference between McCain and Bush

August 11, 2008 at 5:05 pm |
  188. marianna

McCain could win with Romney or Hillary on the ticket

Other picks don't seem good enough to me

And, believe me, I don't know everything

but pretty darn close

McCain/Romney '08

August 11, 2008 at 5:07 pm |
  189. Christa

McCain and Lieberman would love it, since they are so much alike. The rest of the country would feel like it was watching a grotesque incestuous affair.

August 11, 2008 at 5:08 pm |
  190. Cy, Los Angeles CA

Reminds me of the two old men who sat on the balcony during the Muppet Show!!!

August 11, 2008 at 5:09 pm |
  191. Brian

Jack,

It would be a dream ticket – for the Democrats. Now that Lieberman donated more than $100K to the DSCC, putting him on the GOP ticket so he could be decimated by ads paid for by his own money would really put the reality-TV spin on this election that we've all been waiting for.

Brian
    Moscow, Idaho

August 11, 2008 at 5:09 pm |
  192. Daniel Ostropolec

No! McCain is already out of touch with generations and people abroad, so why would you pick someone as old as Lieberman to be your VP. Also, Conservatives often argue that McCain is too liberal, so how do you think those concerns would be answered with Lieberman on the Ticket as well?

August 11, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  193. Brad

I'd like to say it's the dream ticket but I don't see the conservative Republicans going for it.

August 11, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  194. Kyriacos, Athens Greece

Lieberman's age is not really an issue as in the event of him having to lead the coutnry the presidency would actually become younger. McCain's is!
    Indeed, a good pick for McCain as we watch the neoconservatives grasping at straws, albeitl no match to the Obama ticket.

August 11, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  195. Chuck

No. Lieberman will be an awful pick. Don't forget, he and his support were dismal in his 04 primary run. He did not win squat or gain any traction whatsoever. He even got beat in Dem Senate race but switched to Independent to save his seat.

This after being Gore's running mate in '00. I believe he was picked by Gore solely to carry Florida which we all know how that turned out. He also was "too nice" in his debate with Cheney.

McCain's best pick would be Mitt Romney. Romney was a force in primaries and can muster the fundraising support.

August 11, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  196. marianna

Lieberman as a VP? Sure!

He would be the first VP candidate ever

who lost while running from both major parties

August 11, 2008 at 5:11 pm |
  197. Ron Murray Sr

Great Pick. Then all they would have to do is make Lindsey Gramham Secretary of State and the Three Amigos could ride into the Sunset. Three little short guys with egos so big they could match Napoleon. And they have the same goals...take over the world by military force and continue taking care of K Street.

August 11, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  198. Fred, Las Vegas, NV

They would be a wonderful pair. They are both old and tired and out of touch with the 21st century and would try very hard to return us to the 20th century.

August 11, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  199. Jerry, NY

"I quess we'll need two scooters in the White House.

August 11, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  200. Dan from Oregon

If anything else were needed to unite the Democrats, having Joe Lieberman defect to the Republican ticket would certainly do that. This would be a real plus for Obama

August 11, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  201. Brian in Sacramento, CA

A McLieberman ticket would enflame the push for change, which everyone knows favors the Democratic platform.

August 11, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  202. Sherry Walsh

Now Jack,

If the mood in America is 'Change' why on earth would we want to elect not just one but two 'whitehaired,wrinkley old dudes to the highest offices in the land. Not only would we get 4 more years
    of the Bush/Rove agenda, we would also get a collective half century
    of the same old politics these two old dudes have been practicing
    for ever. Both try to paint themselves as mavericks, but they are really only showing their age and the fact that like many old people, they
    are still trapped in the era of their youth, the 1960's

Having said that, I am going to go cash my social security check.

August 11, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  203. Edward from Cleveland, Ohio

Jack, He did wonders for Al Gore!!!!

August 11, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  204. Bob Duckworth

No, Mccain/Liberman is not a good ticket to me.

Bob in Omaha

August 11, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  205. Keyana

Sure! Senator McCain is already doing terribly with conservatives. Go ahead and put an Independent on the ticket, I bet the hard core republicans will come out in droves.

August 11, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  206. Adam

It's a McCain pick, not a good pick or a bad pick, it's a McCain pick. It's moderate, across party lines, and a sure bet to make hard liners in both parties pull out their hair!

If McCain wants a truly good pick he needs a fellow Maverick who fights scandals, is patriotic, moraly conservative and environmentally friendly. Where can this wonderful man be found? He can't. He's a woman. The Governor of Alaska, Sarah Palin, is not only a good pick, she should be THE pick. A mother of 5 with one son on his way to Iraq who supports offshore drilling while protecting the environment would bring the GOP into the 21st century. Lieberman may be a McCain pick, but Governor Palin would make 2008 the year of the Grand New Party!

August 11, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  207. Stephen, East Lyme, CT

I voted for Joe Lieberman in the Primary and for Senator last election. I have met him personaly. Since he has joined McCain at the hip, I would like to meet him again. This time it would be to hand him his recall notice.

August 11, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  208. Carrie, Southern Wisconsin

Sure...great pick. Certainly better than the Mormon Romney or that naive youngster from Minnesota. Besides he will deliver the Jewish vote and is a trusted friend of McCain's.

August 11, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  209. Lorna from TN

A resounding YES. They deserve each other.

August 11, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  210. Brendan M., Granville, OH

Lieberman as the VP would signal that all McCain really cares about is perpetuating the war in Iraq and potentially expanding it into Iran. It's not that he doesn't have conservative positions on domestic issues, it's just that he doesn't really know much or care much about the economy, health care, poverty, Social Security, or education. Conservatives might be angry, but McCain has clearly demonstrated that on most issues he will simply defer to the far-right of his party.

August 11, 2008 at 5:22 pm |
  211. David

No, No, and a big NO! McCain already has most conservatives feeling nervous. How would they react if McCain were to pick the man that was once on the Democratic ticket and came one iota away from being in Dick Cheney's position? Can you say President Obama?

David
    Harrisonburg, VA

August 11, 2008 at 5:22 pm |
  212. geek

The republican base do not see McCain as loyal.

Lieberman is also not a party loyalist

I think they are perfect together.

August 11, 2008 at 5:23 pm |
  213. Vin

I hope McCain chooses Lieberman!

He is a proven loser, did nothing positive for Gore in 2000.

And will not bring together the much needed Conservative base for McBush. Lieberman, what a traitor. He will never be fully welcomed back with the dems, in my book.

OBAMA '08!

August 11, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  214. M.E. Knapp, S.A, Texas

They make a perfect match. Just like Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis. Can you pick which one is the idiot? Neither can I.

They actually make a pitiful pair. Both rejects from prior elections who want so desperately to be in the White House that one became a lap dog for the Republican Party and the other left one party in hope to be elected by another party and then aligning himself with a third party.

August 11, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  215. Don Lee in Florida

Yes! I can see the voters outside a Florida courtroom with signs saying McWar-Loserman.

August 11, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  216. Sue -Idaho

I guess if you wanted to start your own road show like Howdy Doody Jack, I mean it seems to me McCain needs Liebermans hand up his back to move his lips and let him know the proper response to oh say, which country we are fighting!

August 11, 2008 at 5:33 pm |
  217. Bob in Florida

Jack;

If McSame tags Leiberman as his Veep, I am going to become a family of 20 illegal aliens so that I may vote against the ticket 21 times!

August 11, 2008 at 5:33 pm |
  218. Deborah H. Arrington

Dear Mr. Cafferty,
    Dave Gergen stated in one of his books that the worst thing that could happen to the Republican Party is that it become the party of a bunch of old white men marching in lock step or something along those lines.

Mr. Gergen was prescient. We're there.

With Best Regards,
    Debbie Arrington
    Kingsport, Tennessee

August 11, 2008 at 5:35 pm |
  219. Nick D.

Please Democrats and Obama, pick Richardson for VP. He is the biggest idiot and empty suit I have ever seen in the guise of a politician. Play his interviews over and over. Talk about affirmative action. How does he continue to get air time?
    Nick.

August 11, 2008 at 5:35 pm |
  220. mary stewart

good idea...put mr wishy-washie on the ticket...thank-you from obama

August 11, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  221. Cathy

HECK NO!!

We CAN NOT have this country being run by TWO OF THE OLDEST men in Washington.

They could BOTH have heart attacks at the SAME TIME!

Not to mention, that Leiberman is another WARMONGER.

But then again, if he picks the WORST one of the bunch, maybe people will realize that McCain and the like don't really care about the American people. They only care about keeping a war going.

If they choose a LOSER ticket, we may all win in the end.

August 11, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  222. Geoff of Virginia

It doesn't seem politically shrewd, but it would be a move that plays to the concepts of independence and political dialoguing rather than the current state of affairs which holds contrary political parties as teams which you must be wholly loyal to in order to succeed politically. If McCain believes his bread is buttered with independents then kudos for having the guts to pick the former Democratic candidate for VP, but he is going to anger a lot of the Right, probably more of them then he gains by picking a moderate. It is a sad day when it is uncouth to be the moderate candidate.

August 11, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  223. kay morris

Not good...I still think Lieberman is a basic Democrat but would be good to be at the side of Senator McCain to offer corrections and give Cindy a rest.
    Kay In Lincoln's Land

August 11, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  224. Jeff in NC

McCain and Lieberman on the same ticket? That would be perfect Jack...just perfect!!

August 11, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  225. Yolanda of NJ

Great match – Old and Older.....Dumb and Dumb.....pick one! If elected, we'll have to make sure there is a double ramp in the White House for them.

August 11, 2008 at 5:42 pm |
  226. Will, Morganville, N.J.

As a former (R) I must say Jack, if McCain really wants to win the general election he should pick someone a little younger and a little less like himself than Lieberman is, although Lieberman is "scandal free." What's sad is it seems the republicans are supporting McCain, somewhat, while saying to themselves, "I hope and pray he doesnt pick ME."

August 11, 2008 at 5:42 pm |
  227. brett mullins Phoenix,Az

Liebermam would not be as good of pick as Paris Hilton or Ron Paul ,at least Ron Paul knows the problems of the country. Paris knows more than McCain. Either of these two are not flip floppers

August 11, 2008 at 5:43 pm |
  228. nancy warden

a lotta good he did gore. i blame him for getting bush elected.
    what a skank!

August 11, 2008 at 5:43 pm |
  229. Yolanda of NJ

yeah McCain will need a ventriliquist.

August 11, 2008 at 5:43 pm |
  230. Janet, Toronto

Four Right Handed Politicians, ECK!

They will need to hold hands( or maybe more than hands) when they lose in November!

August 11, 2008 at 5:45 pm |
  231. JImmy in California

Jack I do not care if McCain names Lieberman as his VP choice. I still can't vote for him. The only freedom we still have left is our choice of beer and I do not need him doing a veto on my beer.

August 11, 2008 at 5:45 pm |
  232. OH - New York

Bast choice for John McCain is George W. Bush. They are both alike in more ways than one. They both support the Iraq war and staying the course is most important so that the Iraqi's can have a much larger balance in their bank accounts.

August 11, 2008 at 5:45 pm |
  233. nancy warden

oh wait, perfect matchup. he can help mccain lose!! that is my ideal partner.
    i'll be cheering for obama and ?

August 11, 2008 at 5:46 pm |
  234. melissa

Jack, this is, bar note, THE funniest commentary I have read so far on the Election.
    THANK you for your dumb question.
    It was worth every entry!!
    PS Too bad you asked the running mate question for the Repubicans, because we were all really hoping for Lieberman.
    (get it?)

August 11, 2008 at 5:46 pm |
  235. deedie

NO Liberman does not know what side to be on his self. It depends on who he is talking to at the moment. God forbid if thats the only choice we have. Its bad enough I have to vote for McCain since Hillary is not in the race. I will stick to that.

Thanks

August 11, 2008 at 5:47 pm |
  236. Jennifer Collins

McWar and his cheerleader. How lovely.

August 11, 2008 at 5:49 pm |
  237. Kerry Diehl

This big hoop-la about choosing a VP running mate has really gotten out of hand.

Reminds me of many years ago how we all waited excitedly for the new cars to come out thinking we would realls see or get something to carry us into the future with excitement.

As ususal, it would be the same old models, but just different "paint" ...oops, make that "political party".

August 11, 2008 at 5:50 pm |
  238. thomas

You mean Jimminy Cricket ???
    McCain needs him more than his wife ...
    he has the facts and he is a Democrat like McCain ....

McCain should surprise everyone and elect HRC
    whoever he choses , would make him look the joke that he is

amen !

August 11, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  239. Elisabeth, Bloomington, IN

That would be a snoozer and end up being losers.

August 11, 2008 at 5:53 pm |
  240. DWAYNE

McCain -Lieberman what a GREAT ticket!!

Obama WINS all fifty states. GO McSame GO

August 11, 2008 at 5:53 pm |
  241. William Herman

Sure, why not; As Paris said, "old wrinkly white hair guy" why stop with one when you can have two? Bill, Petaluma, CA

August 11, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  242. All for Obama

Oh Yes! Please!

August 11, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  243. Timothy, V.A.

Roses are red violets are blue, competing with Obama, is something McCain just cant do.
    Why John doesnt know this is a mystery to him too...
    I could go on, but im afraid America does have a clue.

Obama 08!

August 11, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  244. Mark from Bartlett, TN

Joe Lieberman would not be a bad choice to be McCain's Veep, but personally I believe Gov. Sarah Pallin of Alaska would be the best choice. She would help neutralize the "first black president" syndrome by being the "first woman vice-president" and syphon Hillary supporters from Obama, she would be appealing to conservatives, and, Jack, take a look at her picture, she is easy on the eyes. After having to look at Dick Cheney for eight years, we need a vice-president who brings a little more charm to the office. Okay, we need someone who can bring A LOT more charm to the office.

August 11, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  245. Karl

This would be absolutely fantastic! It would be the McCain campaign's biggest mistake so far, and that's including its slimy-and in some cases factually incorrect-ads.

August 11, 2008 at 5:55 pm |
  246. Linda of Atlanta

Lieberman is a disgrace! I hope McCain does pick him so two old fools can go down in dramatic defeat!

August 11, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  247. Ron

Perfect. Two rejects from other parties come together to continue the Bush terms and ideas... Didn't work before and certianly with Senility just around the corner, it wont work now !

My God...Abbot & Costello

OBAMA is the Answer!

August 11, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  248. Wonderfool

I am not sure it will be a good ticket or not but it will make it easier to vote against the McCain-Lieberman ticket. My problem is that if I vote against Obama, the barachnids lable me as racist and if I vote against (McCain) Lieberman, the Jewish lobby will label me as anti-semitic? May be I should vote for Ralph Nader eventhough I think he is even less qualified than BArack. At least I will be a anti-semitic racist. Guess, i just cannot be an intellectual that demads good solutions and exprience on delivering them. Any suggestions?

August 11, 2008 at 6:00 pm |
  249. Jenny from Nanuet, New York

It would be a great ticket-for the Democrats. McCain's base is already unenthusiastic. Lieberman is not the most inspiring person in the world, and he's far from conservative in their eyes on most issues besides foreign policy. A McCain-Lieberman ticket would be a disaster for the Republicans. Bring it on.

August 11, 2008 at 6:00 pm |