June 24th, 2008

Do you believe in miracles?

ALT TEXT
(PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Americans have got religion... at least according to a new poll.

The Pew survey of more than 35,000 people found that 92% of those surveyed believe in God or a universal spirit and more than half pray at least once a day.

It turns out we Americans are a tolerant bunch, at least when it comes to religion. Although a majority of those polled say religion is very important to them, nearly three-quarters believe that many faiths besides their own can lead to salvation. Also, most think there's more than one way to interpret the teachings of their religion.

Experts say this seems to go against the theory that the more religious people are, the more intolerant they are. They add that tolerance might come from the great diversity of the U-S.

The report also found that across many faiths, those who pray more often are also more politically conservative. For many of these people, the fight against abortion and gay rights remain key issues. Findings show that the South is by far the most religious part of the country... and the Northeast is the most secular.

It also found that almost 80% of Americans believe in miracles, 74% believe in heaven and most believe in angels and demons, too. Only 59% believe in hell.

Here’s my question to you: Do you believe in miracles?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Don from Ocala, Florida writes:
Jack, life is a miracle. Good, bad, rich, poor the journey is a miracle. Happiness is a choice but being able to make that choice is a miracle!

Jim writes:
A thousand years ago, miracles were frequent. Then the explanations came. A hundred years ago, miracles became less frequent, but those events that were described as miraculous were also explained… A miracle is simply an event that can not be explained. Yet.

Betty from Alabama writes:
Jack, Not yet. However, If this country makes it to January 20, 2009 without being committed to another war, I'll consider it a miracle.

Sam from Oroville, California writes:
I would if I ever heard Jack reading a comment from me on air. Now that would be a miracle.

Jeff from Los Angeles writes:
While I don't believe in miracles, I do believe there are events that are so extraordinary and beyond any current scientific explanation that they qualify as being 'miraculous'. Example: I still can't explain how Bush got elected twice.

Jack writes:
No such thing. It is just fate. When it is good, we call it a miracle. When it is bad, it is a disaster. The only miracles are the ones we create for ourselves.

Brenda from Maine writes:
America is a miracle.

Ralph writes:
My son just passed the Global History Regents. That was a miracle.

Mike writes:
You're still on the air, aren't you, Jack? The defense rests.

Filed under: Religion
  1. Venia - Philadelphia

Absolutely! The fact that we have not destroyed the earth yet with our pollution, wars and negativity is a miracle.

June 24, 2008 at 1:44 pm |
  2. Ken @ Charlotte

Jack,

Absolutely!!! So many of my fervant prayers have been answered so frequently I could not believe otherwise.

June 24, 2008 at 1:46 pm |
  3. Kirven Dunham

Not at all. Being a man of science I know there is no such thing. How many time do people say the miracle of berth. It is not a miracle. We know how it works. We as human dumb ourself down with anything we do not understand (or understand) and say it is because of God or a miracle. Neither are real and most people know this but are too weak to say it.

June 24, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  4. kim

Yes, I do beleive in miracles, especially since America elected Barack Obama as the democratic nominee for president
    When he first threw in his name for this very difficult job, I told my husband it would be a miracle if he won.
    All of Canada is anxiously awaiting the election to see if you really want change or if you're all just blowin smoke

OBAMA 08

June 24, 2008 at 1:57 pm |
  5. Michael Smith, New Orleans

No, there's a logical explanation for everything. What bothers most mortals is that there are two things we can't have: immortality, and omniscience. Since we can't live forever and know everything, we invent faith, which promises us both. Now that's as close to a miracle as we'll ever get.

June 24, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  6. PAUL, VA

I do; seeing GWB still in office – –

June 24, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  7. Jim from BC

A thousand years ago, miracles were frequent. Then the explanations came.

A hundred years ago, miracles became less frequent, but those events that were described as miraculous were also explained.

Today if a tree falls in the forest as someboby is walking by and does not get killed, it might be described as a miracle. If somebody was there to witness it.

A miracle is simply an event that can not be explained. Yet.

June 24, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  8. Jed in Redding, CA

Miracles are very lucky happenings. And Thomas Jefferson had something to say about luck. He said that the harder he worked, the more luck he had. Miracles work the same way. The harder you work, the more you may find miracles working around you.

June 24, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  9. William Walker

Yes, I see miracles everyday when I watch "The Situation Room".

Winston-Salem, NC

June 24, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  10. don in naples, florida

Nope.

June 24, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  11. Terry in Hanover County

For everyday purposes, I believe in miracles, big and small. Of course, I may not be the wisest person to judge these things because I also root for the Redskins to make it to the Super Bowl year after year. If that ever happens, I'm not sure if that'll be a miracle or the end of the world.

June 24, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  12. Tammy Montgomery

I surely believe in miracles Jack, I live in small town MS, after losing a job due to cut backs on hours I was able to procure another job 40 miles away. It is a miracle that I was able to in this wanning economy and age of coture gas to make it past my two weeks in the hole. Miracles happen everyday for me! At the pump!

June 24, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  13. Vince in New Jersey

I not only believe in miracles I have seen them first hand on more than a few times. I think that miracles happen everyday and we need to have hope.

June 24, 2008 at 2:06 pm |
  14. Daisy

Oh yes I do. I have seen many. The last was when the double rainbows appeared outside the Washington Center while Over The Rainbow was playing inside at a service for Tim Russert. Only God could have let that moment take place!

Daisy
    Winchester

June 24, 2008 at 2:06 pm |
  15. Pablo in Arlington Texas

Jack

Nope. Don't believe in miracles, angels, or devils. The good in this world as well as the bad is caused by and originates with human beings. If there is such a Being as God, (a highly debatable and ultimately unprovable proposition thus far) he she or It is unlike anything described in any holy book of any religion. And as the universe is exquisitely simple in purpose and stunningly efficient in its mechanics, if there is "mind" behind it, there can be only one. And One is all that's required, angels and devils are utterly superfluous.

Pablo
    Arlington Texas

June 24, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  16. Rosalynd Florida

I believe Miracles can happen, haven't been the beneficiary of one personally but when someone survives a tremendous fall or walks away with barely a scrape from an event that should have killed them, it is a miracle.

June 24, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  17. Conor in Chicago

A miracle is simply the confirmation of chance. For instance: Someone gets diagnosed with cancer and they have 6 months to live. 5 years later they finally succomb to the disease. Some will call it a miracle as where the reality was that there was a .01% chance that the person would out live their diagnosis-and they did.

June 24, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  18. Jay

Jack, if I believed in miracles I would say that you are a miracle! But I don't believe in miracles.

June 24, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  19. Gina in Racine

A not very well known Junior Senator from Illinois comes out of nowhere and dodges the Kitchen Sink being thrown at Him from the Clinton Attack Machine.

Overcomes the Racism that the Clinton's and their Surrogates and the Media (check out most of the Exit Polling questions)

and builds a Campaign (and a Movement) stronger and better financed then The Clinton's. (1.5+ Million Contributor's strong)

And then this Junior Senator goes on to clinch the Democratic Nomination.

Yeah....I believe in Miracles!!!!

Obama '08

June 24, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  20. Joy

Yes. There will always be something happening which would defy any logical explanation/reasoning.As they say, only God has the answer.

June 24, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  21. Ron Mechanicsville, VA

The Bush Administration, (The Far Right), (The Religious Right), have damn near destroyed this country for MONEY, OIL, GREED, POWER! No I don't believe in miracles anymore. The first time I heard a Minister say, "Jesus wants you to be rich", I was done. If religion, God, exists, then dark days are ahead, I read the book!

June 24, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  22. Paul

A miracle would be gas going below $3.00 a gallon might happen most likely will not happen. Also the cost of everything going down when the price of fuel falls this will never happen once they got you they got you. A true miracle would be that the elections reflect and cause a real change in all directions this country is going and it would be a true miracle if that happens. We can all only hope for a miracle.
    Paul
    Texas

June 24, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  23. Efren

Jack, its a miracle I keep writing you and never get my stuff put on the air. So yes, I do.

-Efren
    Phoenix, AZ

June 24, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  24. Mike, Syracuse NY

Absolutely. I'm a NY Giants fan.

June 24, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  25. Karl in CA

I think miracles can be good or bad and come in threes, two of which have already occurred. The first one was Bush and Cheney being elected and the second was Bush and Cheney not being impeached. Now the third should be Bush and Cheney being charged as they leave office with crimes against humanity, war crimes in general and all the other felonies they have committed in between. That would be a real Trifecta.

June 24, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  26. Ted Beaverton, OR

Yes I believe in Miracles. But they happen far fewer times than we give credit for. Miracles do not happen in politics. I believe God has little or no involvement in the material political world, and particularly any public official running for his own greedy purposes. And I doubt very seriously that He appointed Dobson to be his point man for politics, he is foolishly self appointed.

June 24, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  27. Timberdoodle

Up until I haven't believed in Miracles but if your country is ever lucky enough to get out from under the oppressed leadership of the GOP I will have to admit this would truly be a miracle!

June 24, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  28. MMN-Milwaukee WI

Jack:

I sure do believe in miracles.

Here's here’s a few; can you believe GWB has Cheney-ed (chained) the USA to Iraq for 5+ year, Osama bin Laden is still at large and GWB has not been impeached.

June 24, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  29. Deborah from North Port, FL

If I were a Barack Obama supporter, I would say YES. After seeing Senator Clinton clean his clock in debates and big primary states, trouncing him in all the Democratic strongholds even while being grossly outspent, I would marvel that the more Hillary won, the more superdelegates moved to the Obama column. If a miracle is an unexplained phenomenon, this would qualify. In a year in which the Democrats could win with Mickey and Minnie Mouse, the party elite decided to cut loose those pesky Clintons to spite their own faces. Aren't these people tired of losing? We the peons are.

June 24, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  30. Raj, Toronto

It will be one if the US does not attack Iran cause they are using the same propaganda on you as they did with Iraq and no one notices.

Americas are not free thinking people cause they constantly bombarded by double think and new speak.

2 weeks ago they said on CNN that oil prices had hit a high for 8 days straight. But if you look at the whole month, the real figure is like 29/30 days of new highs. Americans will believe that they live in a democracy when they actually live in a constitutional republic. REPUBLIC

June 24, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  31. Michelle, Baltimore

I am praying for a miracle right now.....

June 24, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  32. Mwita (Los Angeles, CA)

Jack, ask Hillary Clinton that question and you may not get such a positive answer.

June 24, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  33. Jonathan Rix, Valpariaso Indiana

Jack,
    I do believe that there are good and bad things that happen without any explanation that is what makes the world so interesting. Even with all advancements in technology and science we still become baffled by the unexplained.

June 24, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  34. Don Ferguson

I don't believe in miracles, and I'm appalled that so many Americans believe in such a large variety of religeous fairy tales.

Fergie in Bluffton, South Carolina (Bible Belt?)

June 24, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  35. Tearched Scott Chicago, IL

I do believe in miracles, I don't believe that Barack Obama winning was a miracle, but I do believe that the United States is a miracle. There is so much underhanded things going on its hard to believe that we have not destroyed ourselves. The United States also trying to maintain power in other countries is a miracle, because we are not liked by alot od countries.

June 24, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  36. Mickie in Philadelphia, PA

ABSOLUTELY! I have experienced what Kervin would call "unexplained" events in my life that have saved my life and I challenge him to explain them. By the way, my son is a scientist and I do not think that necessarily precludes the existence of miracles.

June 24, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  37. Linda in Florida

Absolutely! And I am praying that the next one will be that Barack Obama wins in November.

June 24, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  38. JD North Carolina

I don't beleive in miracles, whether magical or divine. I do beleive we'll have some amazing advances in the next few years, and those microbes that turn trash to crude oil will be a big part of it.

June 24, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  39. Docb

With out question...how else to explain the unexplainable in nature and the world!!!

June 24, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  40. ken Millington Mi

Hello Jack. Yes i believe in miracles i spent 20yrs in the military 2 wars and numerous other adventures. then traveled to poor third world countries to build schools, churches , hospitals for under privilaged communities. I seen miracles change peoples lifes also war changes peoples lifes. I work in a inner city YMCA and i see people whos lifes are changed from drugs and gangs and hoplesness. There is always an action that is required though and that is faith! Faith that God is able to deliver the miracle of change.

June 24, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  41. Stacy from Loudoun County, VA

Jack, I did not really believe in miracles and such until I saw the first sonogram of my twin children a few months ago. I don’t know if seeing their tiny heart beats qualifies as a miracle in most eyes, but it qualifies in mine.

June 24, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  42. sarah, indiana

i dont believe in luck but i do believe in miracles. how else would you explain the fact that Saturday Night Live is still on the air?

June 24, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  43. Kimberly, St. Petersburg

Yes! How else could you explain, a skinny kid with big ears and a funny name beating the Clinton machine; and possibly becoming the next president of the United States of America.

June 24, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  44. Larry, Ohio

Jack,absolutely,I beleive in miracles,Keith Olbermann is still on the air,isn't he!?

June 24, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  45. Mike from NYC

No, but Hillary did for an awful long time.

June 24, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  46. Michael Lorton, Virginia

Jack: In some instances I do. Miracles sometimes occur, but one has to work terribly hard for them. Just look around you; Mankind is still the greatest miracle and yet the greatest problem on this earth, and as the world becomes more of a realist........well they expect it.

June 24, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  47. Michael Steuer,. Bedford, N.Y.

If only you believe in miracles, so would I
    I been to so many places, I've seen some things
    I know l;ove is the answer, keeps holding this world together
    Ain't nothing better

June 24, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  48. George Carlin McxKinney, Texas

I believe that things we can't explain sometimes happen and we often mistake them for miracles. You must be careful what you wish for. I met a man once that fell 100 feet off a cliff crushing his scull but living through it. That same man is still in a comma and has not regained consciousness after 30 years. It was a miracle he survived the fall but I don't know so much about being a vegetable for the rest of his life. Was it truly a miracle? You tell me.

June 24, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  49. 40+ In Suitland, MD

Depends on which personality I am at the time....lol.

June 24, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  50. Greg ...Cabot AR

I still believe in miracles and probably will until I grow up and get old.

P.S. I will be 59 next month and still hope my Social Security checks will start in 2,927 days.

June 24, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  51. Bill,Quarryville. PA

When a man gets elected president with only a brain stem instead of a brain for not only 1 term but 2 terms, that has to be called a miracle.

June 24, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  52. Mary Jo Pittsburgh PA

Nope. Stuff happens – good or bad. If the odds are 1 in a million that something amazing will happen, that means that it will happen to more than 300 people in our country. That's not a miracle. That's just the odds. Sure it may feel miraculous to the person it happens to, but a miracle? Nah.

June 24, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  53. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I believe in miracles which can also be transformed into bad luck. It's a miracle that George W. Bush was elected as president for not one but two terms which has transformed into our bad luck.

June 24, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  54. Scott - Dallas, TX

Yes. I have faith that nothing is truly impossible. Reality can make circumstances appear to reflect a 0% probability of something happening, but it's never actually 0.

June 24, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  55. Pippie in Prunedale, CA

Dear Mr. Cafferty,

My teacher says that if you read my email today, she will indeed believe in miracles. I believe you will because only a vindictive person would dash her hopes and dreams for me. Not only do I believe in miracles, I believe in you.

Love,
    Pippie

June 24, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  56. Nancy Indiana

Yes I have had lots of Miracles in my life! One being that I survived an illiness that was supposed to be terminal 12 years ago!!!!

June 24, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  57. Caroline, Hamer SC

No,But we need a miracle to get us out of the mess that Bush has got us in.If Obama makes it maybe I will start believeing in miracles.

June 24, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  58. Judie

Jack,
    Oh yes, I believe in miracles, I see them everyday. I see them in people who walk around with smiles and a kind word for others. Miracles are evidenced by mans' humanity to man. Miracles are everywhere you just have to have an open mind and the willingness to believe. Each and every human being is a miracle as was written about by Og Mandingo in "The Greatest Miracle" a must read for both believers and non believers. What a thoughtful question you have asked and now I can spend some time reflecting on the multiple miracles I have had throughout my life "one day at a time."
    Thank You So Very Much.

Judie
    St. Augustine, Fl.

June 24, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  59. Samuel, West Virginia

The miracle won't happen until George W. Bush leaves office.

Obama 08

June 24, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  60. Harlin

Miracles happen in small and big form.

Miracles happen sometimes immediately and sometimes over a period of time.

Just look at how the human body is marvelously made and there is a miracle in its self.

June 24, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  61. kenneth, spain

i do believe in miracle, but not the type of stage craft that is being done in the churches today. That you are alive today is a miracle, that the earth keep revolving and hanging on nothing is in itself a miracle. that a black man and a woman can go this far in American politics is the miracle of the millineum.

June 24, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  62. Frank Ontario

Well Jack up until now modern science has pretty much shown rational reasoning for everything previously purported to be a miracle. However, when you take into account how much influence the radical religous leaders have over the American public I think it is safe to say that if your country does survive inspite of the intolerance, bigotry and hate they preach then this would truly be a miracle.

June 24, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  63. Geri Britt

Yes!!!!!!!! I've had several of them occur in my life Jack. I think we live in an amazing miraculous wonderful world where our own physical senses, based on our mass root assumptions, create the world that we see. A beautiful world created as a camouflage for consciousness. Isn't it wonderful that each of us have been given perhaps the greatest gift of all: The ability to project our thoughts outward – making them real. But then my belief's fall under Shakespeare's "and there are greater things in Heaven and on earth than have ever been dreamt of in your philosophies."

Tell you a true short story. One rainy morning in May 1991 I was letting my old Buick warm up to take the children to school. The alternator was going out and was making a horrible grinding noise. I said, "Dammit! I wish that noise would stop. Immediately and simultaneously the noise abruptly stopped and a voice stated: You have been taught to believe that reality comes first and then you think. Instead, you think and reality is. . . . ." A true story. I had called my brother up the night before to see if he would change out the alternator, after taking the kids on our block to school I came home and called him to tell him there was no need for him to fix the alternator now. The alternator didn't make another sound for over two weeks until we bought another one.

Since science has no evidence or proof that coincidence exists, this incident in my mind comes under the heading of miracles or perhaps normal existence if you so insist.

Geri Britt – Mead, OK

June 24, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  64. Nora Corpus Christi Texas

I will get back to you in November cause if Obama wins the presidency it will be a miracle. He is overcoming huge odds and they are throwing everything at him and Michelle and yet they are strong and still standing. If McCain wins, I guess you know what my answer will be.

June 24, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  65. You betcha Paula from Canada

I have four sons..how can ANYONE not look at a newborn baby and not believe in miracles.. well that and Brad Pitt's face that continues to amaze me everytime I see him! Paula from Canada

June 24, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  66. PC

With all of the blatant crimes committed against this country, George W. Bush hasn't been impeached yet. That is one heck of a miracle.

PC
    Atlanta

June 24, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  67. Marilyn from Louisiana

Absolutely !! A remarkable event or thing. When it happens too you, you will know immediately it is /or was a "Miracle."

June 24, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  68. Terry, Chandler AZ

I am not sure. I do think though that it would be a miracle if this letter made it on the air. Lets see if you ,Jack, can make a miracle occur.

June 24, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  69. erico - Miami

Yes, I woke up one Thursday morning to find that I had won $9 mil in the Florida lottery ...

June 24, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  70. petra, las vegas NV

miracles happen every day, miracles are natural

recommended reading:
    A Course in Miracles
    Foundation for Inner Peace

June 24, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  71. Deb (Bow, NH)

Mark Twain said "If it is a Miracle, any sort of evidence will answer, but if it is a Fact, proof is necessary.” I'll stick to the facts.

June 24, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  72. Jim Cape Coral, FL

Jack,
    No. I'm not dumb enough to believe in superstitions like miracles, or angels or even (to quote the late George Carlin) "...an invisable man in the sky who loves you, but needs money." I believe everything happens for a reason. America got a little full of itself so fate handed us George Bush. But now that we have one common goal to unite around, like sending Bush packing, America will once again show it's greatness through a united spirit and not any hocus pocus miracles.

June 24, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  73. Terry from North Carolina

Jack
    Yes I believe in miracles, you and Wolf Blitzer have something to talk about for three hours everyday. Thats a miracle in itself.

June 24, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  74. Joe in DE

Yes – science has nothing to do with it.

June 24, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  75. Brad

Being a man of science, you need to know it is spelled "birth" not "berth"

June 24, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  76. RJ from Pennsylvania

No, the Bush Administration is still running the country.

June 24, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  77. Rick PA

Yes, But still waiting for a miracle from House Judiciary Committee.

June 24, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  78. T (Fort Worth)

There are miracles but nothing good has happened in my life to make one occur and I live a clean life. I guess the fact I am still up walking is a miracle.

June 24, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  79. dillon, Canada

You mean the kind it takes to get a Republican into the white house?
    Not really..

June 24, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  80. e.j. mohammed

Jack,
    This is a very interesting question for you to ask your viewing audience! I like it it makes one ponder a bit rather than blurbing out with an emotional response to a political question! I definitely believe in miracles large and small! It's a miracle that we are allowed to have such open dialog about our politicians some places and countries it is not discussed on blogs or forums or even on streets.We are certainly fortunate to have a country as this one in which we have the freedoms of expression that we do! It's a miracle the first convention in Philadelphia even occurred and the men that inspired the Constitution were able to advance Democracy in this country. To the gentleman who claims to be a scientist and non believer of miracles sure we know how we physical arrive but the miracle is the beauty of each individual and where that first breath comes from not from the process! Something to think about the world and universe are full of miracles even scientific wonders that will never be explained away and I would never consider myself a weak person because I believe in miracles quite the contrary!
    E.J. MOHAMMED TACOMA WASHINGTON

June 24, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  81. Buster in Poughkeepsie, NY

Dear Jack, Only fools believe in miracles. Check that. If the Cubs win the World Series this year, you can call me an old fool.

June 24, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  82. Betty - AL

Jack

Not yet – However, If this country makes it to 20 January 2009 without being committed to another war, I'll consider it a miracle.

Thanks

June 24, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  83. PT Voorhees, NJ

Jack, I see a miracle every morning I wake up and look in the mirror. It must be devine intervesion that's getting me through these difficult times.

June 24, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  84. IFEANYI AZUBIKE Houston, Texas

Yes, Yes, Yes. I have been the recipient of miracles and I have people all around me who are benefactors of miracles. It does not matter how much we may wish to discontenance it, but God is a miracle working God and evidence of miracles abound; in creation, in the human being, in the air we breathe, in the seasons of the year, in life and death. Above all, personal miracles exist in the lives of every human but the problem is that we either refuse to acknowledge it or we misdirect the credits. I am a product of miracle in a miraculous world, filled with living miracles.

June 24, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  85. Mark Anthony

Visit the Philippines, lately. How about Darfur. Burma. Do I need to keep going. The miracle is that we as "caring" humans can watch others suffer, but become utterly outraged if our power goes out for an hour. I've been to the Philippines and im telling you watching those peoples will to survive is a miracle.

June 24, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  86. Big Jeff, Los Angeles

While I don't believe in miracles, I do believe there are events that are so extraoridnary and beyond any current scientific explanation that they qualify as being 'miraculous'.

Example: I still can't explain how Bush got elected twice.

June 24, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  87. Carol

"Yes I do" I believe in miracles and have felt and seen them...but only when they are for Gods sake and not the worlds. We might recieve a blessing from one of his miracles. I don't believe that any of our candidates are the Messiah though if that's what you are looking for.

Carol

June 24, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  88. Ralph in New York

If we elect a leader who will guide us through world peace, national security, growing income including lower gas prices, this will be a true miracle.

June 24, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  89. Sharon from Houston

Yes! I live to see you another day Jack!

June 24, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  90. Mickey Dean

No I don't, but I root for the Philadelphia Eagles anyway.

June 24, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  91. Lynn

Jack I believe in miracles and God answers prayers. I have seen it many times in my life.

June 24, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  92. Haloalani, Mountain View HI

I tend to think of miracles as being an unexplainable, unexpected, inspirational, and personal event. Since I still don't know for certain how, why, when, where and what the Universe and my place in it was/is designed for, I have to believe that an Unknowable Force is at work creating all that was/is and that Unknowable Force is allowing everything that I experience to occur around me. This Unknowable Force is allowing me the freedom to co-create with it, and choose how I'm going to feel about what's happening, and what I'm going to do about it. So, in my view, everything and everyone is a miracle. Some are just more miraculous than others.
    By the way Jack, I don't want to inflate your ego, but sometimes you've said some miraculous things on CNN.

June 24, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  93. Linda in Virginia

Well Jack, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I believe miracles work the same way. What I like to think is that creative imagination will take you a long ways. Positive thoughts change everything. I've really had a few mirachles in my lifetime, I'll never rule them out.

June 24, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  94. Vonnie - Maryland

Absolutely !! Ditto with Gina in Racine

Obama 08

June 24, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  95. Wendy. San Rafael, CA

I don't believe in miracles but I believe in the power of the mind to overcome the seemingly impossible.

June 24, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  96. mark, Temple TX

The only miracle I could believe in is if Bush, Cheney, Rice and his entire band of thugs would be impeached. There are more illegal activities by this regime than in the history of the US. Bush completely disregarded the Constitution, eroded personal rights and had total disregard for the law. This guy should be sent to Leavenworht for his third term. An absolute disaster of a presidency. He has to be a total disappointment to the entire Bush family. A legacy of 24% approval rating.

June 24, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  97. Annie, Atlanta

I lost all hope in miracles the day America started bombing Baghdad. But I still believe in "what goes around comes around," and it scares the hell out of me.

June 24, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  98. Josh, Arkansas

For any skeptics, that question can be answered with a question: Your last heartbeat, what caused it? Hold your answer until your heart stops. Then explain.

June 24, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  99. Brad, WI

As I'm reading through all these 'miracles' people have been describing...Every single one can be explained by another event, or statitistics; but sadly, most of America is too illiterate to understand them.

June 24, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  100. Darren S.

Louis Pasteur once said, "chance favors the prepared mind," which wishing for and/or praying for a miracle is in essence, a form of preparation - so yes, to answer your question.

June 24, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  101. Prince of New Orleans

I absolutely believe in miracles. I've seen so many things that go against the law of physics that I have no choice than to believe in them. Just look at the world that we live in, with all the beautiful flowers, trees, rivers, and seas. The only problem that I see in this world Jack is US

June 24, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  102. David, Cape Town, South Africa

How else do you explain the wondorous election of one Barack Obama as Democratic nominee.

America needed a miracle in the world's eyes and you got one.

June 24, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  103. John in San Diego

Jack, regardless of how "religious" one is or is not, there are infinite miracles on display daily in the astounding creation of which we are a part.

June 24, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  104. Tanya Kujath Florence Alabama

Absolutely, I've seen and lived through enough to convince me of miracles and a Divine Power over all us. Just to live and answer this question is a miracle in itsself.

June 24, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  105. Keith from Irving Texas

Yes. I do believe in miracles, Jack. I'm still here today because of a miracle.

In 1983, I had a Brain Aneurysm. I was subsequently diagnosed with a brain tumor the size of a golf ball. The day before my surgery, I was given another CAT scan. The result? Tumor was gone.

God did this for me, or my faith in God. May sound stupid to some, but not to my family.

June 24, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  106. Gayle Jacksonville, Illinois

Jack, I absolutely believe in miracles. It is a miracle in itself that the world is still in existence when the people of the world seem to be morally and spiritually bankrupt. We now have same-sex marriage in a couple of states that soon, with other states to follow will take off faster than the speed of sound. The birth of a child is a miracle in itself. With the entire world in the shape it is in, we still have a patient and loving God.

June 24, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  107. Wendy. San Rafael, CA

I do not believe in the Christian concept of miracles but I believe in a universal energy and the power of the mind to tap that energy. Also believe that there are no coincidences and that not enough people listen to the wisdom of intuition, that inner voice that is leading us in the right direction.

I do believe in the Easter Bunny though!

June 24, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  108. Jim Cape Coral, FL

Jack,
    No! I'm not one who needs to lean on superstitions to ease the stress of everyday life. There's no such thing as miracles, angels or god. Work hard and you'll get the things you pray for. Belive in yourself and you'll find incredible strength within. "Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived." -Oscar Wilde

June 24, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  109. Greg from PA

Anyone who has witnessed a child come into the world has seen a miracle. Even while science tries to discover the details of how and why sperm find an egg, an egg blocks all but one sperm from entering it, a sperm and egg join their DNA, that DNA joins at all, that one new cell divides to become individual coordinated parts. Scientists can not explain how individual lives intricately weave together and build upon each other to create the society and its inventions that we know. Scientists can not say with certainty how our universe began or how life came into existence. Scientists can only provide theories or educated guesses about most of creation. Scientists can only learn about creation by having an open mind and being able to accept information that may run contrary to their theories and beliefs. So why can't they keep their minds open to the possibility that God and miracles just might exist?

June 24, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  110. Cathy in MD

If you mean miracle as in divine intervention, I would have to say I don’t know. If you mean miracle as in unexplained forces of nature, planetary alignment, fortuitous twists of fate, I would have to say yes.

June 24, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  111. George

Doesn't everyone , and it may take one to get us out of the mess that this administration has put us in. The only ones that a miracle won't help is John McCain, and the rest of his Republican Party . The Republicans will not gain power again in my lifetime, but then again, I am 72.

June 24, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  112. Preston in South Bend, IN

Yes indeed Jack. The fact that you have a gig on TV is a sure sign that miracles do occur!

June 24, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  113. Lynn

Gina – That was not a miracle. That was cold calculating Obama in action.

June 24, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  114. Mary CT

Of course, all Red Sox fans do.

June 24, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  115. Bill in Albuquerque

No. I believe in the power of the human mind. Those aren't miracles – they're the epitome of mind over matter.

June 24, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  116. Harold from Anchorage, AK

Not yet, but I will if Barack gets elected

June 24, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  117. mitch martin arkansaw

is it a miracle i survived that tornado,last week?if so,why is it a 'tragedy',that someone else didn't?are there such things as anti-miracles?i don't know,i just want to go back to the hippie days.life was so much easier when we didn't have to worry about such deep subjects,for very long at a time.

June 24, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  118. Jim Cape Coral, FL

Greg from PA,
    Prove it! We can prove the Egyptions existed thousands of years ago, we can prove the dinosaurs existed millions of years ago yet not one shred of proof exists that god is out there! So again, show me nore than blind faith and I'll consede there is a possibility. Oh, thats right, you can't.

June 24, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  119. Paulette Dallas,PA

Yes I do believe in miracles. The world is in such a terrible state right now. America is a mess, parents in Indonesia are sending children to orphanages,Darfur,the typhoon in the Phillipines,and the sorry list can go on and on. Now would be the perfect time for a miracle to occur to relieve any or all of these tragides.

June 24, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  120. Kim, Dodge City, Kansas

When things or events happen that are beyond our mental grasp as humans, then we call it a miracle if it is something good or beneficial to us. If something bad happens, then we are in no short supply of derisive terms for that. Birth and death, goodness and evil, all share equal billing in the miracle department. All that said, the fact that you are here to ask that question, provides the answer.

June 24, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  121. Ray Kinserlow

As an agnostic, I believe there are extraordinary and exceptional events and people. Miracles are for children and the superstitious.

Ray Kinserlow
    Lubbock, Texas

June 24, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  122. Michael Haney

If we choice the word "miracle" it convenes some divine intervention. I really believe in my heart a Deity doesn't distinguish who and when someone gets one. I heard God loves all? He doesn't play favorites.

If we use the word "fate" in it's place. Then we view and accept things that are out of our hands, and believe what happens is what happens. It's easier to accept....How many times have we prayed for someone to live, and they don't....Does their God not listen? When someone lives.....it's a miracle?

I believe in fate, what happens happens, and my God knows it.

Michael
    Oil Cty, PA

June 24, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  123. dave walker,n. dartmouth,ma.

When George Bush,Dick Cheney,Karl Rove,Andrew Card,Scooter Libby are seen on national TV being escorted into court with handcuffs and shackles,then I will believe in miracles.

June 24, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  124. mitch martin arkansaw

yeah,but i'm not waitin' on it ,forever,tho.

June 24, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  125. edward Chen

The fact that random chemical can come together and form life is a miracle. For an example, here is an invention that would solve our green house problem. Take water and carbon dioxide out of air and sun light, and create suger from them.

Guess what human have not been able to do this, but nature through random process managed to do human has not been able to do, I would can this a miracle.

Ed Chen

Fairfield, CT

June 24, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  126. Jan Davis, Knoxville, TN

Yes, I believe in medical and religious miracles, although perhaps there are not as many now as in Biblical times. But we have to keep the faith, Jack! One miracle I'm hoping for is the impeachment of George Bush and Dick Cheney! There's still time..

June 24, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  127. J.R., Arkansas

Yea Jack I do. I refuse to believe we evolved from rocks. Though some are questionable....

Bush Cheney '00

June 24, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  128. Joe G

Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth fairy, Miracles. What"s not to believe?

June 24, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  129. Don--Ocala, FL

June 24, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  130. Blake, San Diego

I beat a lower straight flush with a royal flush. Statistically improbable, but not a miracle. All miracles are statistical improbabilities.

June 24, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  131. Brenda of Saginaw ,Michigan

America is a miracle.

June 24, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  132. JC from Georgetown, Texas

Sure do. Everyday that I shave and look in the mirror, I see one. I'm alive.

June 24, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  133. Diane Glasser

Yes, I believe in miracles. It is a human thing. No matter whether you believe in a supreme being or not there are is at least one time in everyone's life when they wish for a miracle. Diane from PA

June 24, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  134. Barbara

I don't know but this country sure could use one in fact that is probably the only thing that could help this country now, GOD bless and help America

June 24, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  135. vern - anaheim ca

yes jack i do believe in miracles,i've seen them happen in the hospitals i've worked at but i agree most of all with samuel of west virginia who said "the real miracle will be is when george w. bush leaves office" ,so then my prayers will have been answered

June 24, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  136. Don Bezler

Jack, If there was a way to remove the Bush Administration NOW
    I would think MIRACLES might be.

June 24, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  137. Mike out West

Ask this question again if the price for unleaded falls below $3.00 per gallon.

June 24, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  138. Mark from Yuba City, CA

I believe in good planning and a dose of good fortune or luck. Miracles? Sometimes they are hard to understand. So I guess no–I don't believe in miracles.

June 24, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  139. Edgar @ Midland, Texas

A miracle is an unexplained reversal that defies logic, but regardless of its religious connoctations, miracles are less about people coming back from the dead...and more about people beating the odds in their everyday lives.

June 24, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  140. Stephanie Buffalo, NY

I'll say yes, of course I believe in miracles. They happen everyday. But it'll be a miracle for someone with Theophobia, like yourself, to air anything positive. Oh...and seeing Wolf Blizter's face everyday is miracle enough for me;)

June 24, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  141. Bryce from Buffalo, NY

Al Michaels told me miracles exist, so I'm inclined to believe him. However, I think I'll really believe in miracles when either the Buffalo Bills win the Super Bowl or when this comment makes it on air. I don't put much faith in either happening anytime soon, but perhaps you can help me out there, Jack. Of course, if the Bills win the Super Bowl, that also might signal the beginning of the Apocalypse.

haha

June 24, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  142. Jayne in NH

No. If I did it would be because George W. Bush was back cutting brush in Crawford after being impeached and removed from office.

June 24, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  143. Mari, Salt Lake City, Utah

YES! I do believe in miracles, there have been many in my life. GOD IS GOOD!

June 24, 2008 at 4:02 pm |
  144. Mary, Alabama

Not any more, Jack. Eight years of George Bush and I no longer have religion much less believe in miracles.

June 24, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  145. Rachael in NJ

I'll believe in miracles if McCain gets elected. Or would that just be really bad luck??

June 24, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  146. Karen from Rocklin,Ca

Absolutely I believe in miracles. I've been truly blessed to experience a few myself.

June 24, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  147. Joe, Alberta, Canada

No, we are just bipedal animals, we think we are much bigger and more important than we are, but it just isn't so. We are born, we live, we die, that's it, there has been nothing concrete to think otherwise and those people who do, may get comfort from it, but they are just decieving themselves I'm afraid.

June 24, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  148. Wayne in Goffstown

Jack, My father in Law had to have a complete heart bypass about 7 years ago. The doctors in NH said they could not do any more for him as his arteries to the heart were to far gone and they sent him to a Boston hospital. The Boston doctor said he would have to come up with a miracle and would find a way. I'm not a church going man but I still pray. That night I said a prayer and asked my Guardian Angel to please go to Boston and help my father-in-law and his doctors. After the operation my father-in-law was in recovery and the family was around, He said guess what, My nurse was a male and his name tag was Wayne. My father-in -law said I have a son-in-law and his name is Wayne. The nurse told him his last name and it was the same last name as mine. I had only told my wife I did this. When she heard this she told everyone what I had prayed for . They were all amazed, so was I. True story. So Yes Jack I do believe in miracles and I celebrated this past fathers day with George.

June 24, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  149. Lastavius Darby

Yes, I do believe in Miracles...I mean within only 50 years of the major movements in the civil rights era you have an African American candidate and a woman being taken seriously...I guess faith really can move mountains.

June 24, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  150. KenB, Michigan

Do I believe in miracles...yep...small ones and big ones..I also believe that most miracles are worked through people...yep, I believe small blessings are small miracles...we should all be so "inspired" wherever we are in life.

June 24, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  151. Ken in NC

Ask me after this recession.

June 24, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  152. Adele Los Angeles

Yes, I manage to have enough time to watch The Cafferty File everyday!

June 24, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  153. Gary of El Centro, Ca

Yes, there are just too many things that have happened throughout history that can't be explained any other way. Kirk Gibson's homerun in the 1988 World Series comes to mind as an example.....the guy couldn't even walk, came up with two out in the bottom of the 9th of game one for his only at bat in the series, faced the best "lights out" reliever in the game at that time, and stroked a game winning homerun. So yes, I believe in miracles.

June 24, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  154. angel

Absolutely !!
    Everyone in America should be praying for a miracle. I'm not sure anything short of a miracle will get us out of the mess we have made of this country.
    Things may get better or they may get worse. That I don't know but I do know God is in control and I know how the story ends.

June 24, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  155. Tom - Las Vegas, Nevada

Could I wait and answer your question after Bush leaves office? If he does anything that actually reflects the wishes of the majority of the Americans he represents, I may have to change the position I currently hold.

June 24, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  156. Derek

Jack,

I think Al Michaels answered that after the US beat the Soviets in the 1980 Olympics.

June 24, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  157. Brian

Jack,

No, miracles do not exist. Our sun alone has existed for about 500 million years, which is too much for people to understand, and likewise there are coincidences and random events that seem like miracles to humans but in the biggest picture, it's all just probability and time working together.

Brian
    Moscow, Idaho

June 24, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  158. w. proctor

Absolutely!!!! However, those who are too busy looking inward are blind to them. Miracles are happening everyday, all around us.

June 24, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  159. Chris

If I believed in miracles once, these past 8 years of an incredibly incompetent presidency would have quickly cured me of that.

Chris
    South Salem, New York

June 24, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  160. Ann, Newton, New Jersey

Yes, at the end of the month I thank God that I have been able to buy gas, groceries and pay most of my bills. Today, that is a miracle in itself. Hopefully, next month the miracle will continue.

June 24, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  161. dave

No! bush and cheney are still walking around and theres over 4,000 white crosses in alot of cemeteries that are calling out for a miracle, but nota.

June 24, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  162. sandy in Ohio

Jack, I believe in miracles but not the way most people do. I think that the birth of a child, the blossom of a flower and just the sun coming up each day is a miracle. Everything else is the contribution of mankind and some of them have not been so great. I don't think you should pray for miracles but for strength to endure the mess that man has made of the earth and the strength to work to change it.

June 24, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  163. Chris Plainfield, IL

Absolutley i believe in miracles and that belief started happening on election night 2000!

June 24, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  164. Ed North Carolina

I believe in miracles, but as with luck, man plays an important role in making them happen. There are no mirackes without human contribution, faith plays its role in giving us the strength and peace and serves as the foundation on which miracles are built. As for the South being the most religious section in the country, don't believe it. Too often in the South ( and, to be fair, perhaps elsewhere as well) a profession of religious faith is used as a veil to hide bias, fear and hate.

June 24, 2008 at 4:20 pm |
  165. Debra Rich, Washington, DC

Jack,
    I believe in miracles, they happen everyday. I'm not talking about the grandeous open the sea kind; but the ones like the birth of a baby. Some people think that miracles are earth shattering, or lightening bolt world changing events; but some times a miracle can be just being in the right place at the right time. I believe that some miracles are when you rise to the occasion to do the impossible thing, like the US Men's Hockey Team winning the gold medal.

I believe that miracles are life changing, like when one has a narrow eescape from death. Or being born in a place in time that's made just for you, even though those circumstances may not seem to be the best.I blieve that miracles are when the thing you least expect, is the thing you need the most.

I also believe that people perform miracles everyday. Just look at the what happens during a disaster, people rise to the occasion to help sometimes before the government respondes. Then there are the everyday miracles of people just helping someone in a time of need, like somebody just needing a meal. Look at the TV shows that build homes, or help people loose weight, or the ones that give people makeovers that build up their self esteem, or shows that send people out to do charitable acts. Sometimes people are the greatest miracle of all. Wouldn't it be great if we all realized that each of us is a miracle; and we treated each other as if they were one? Jack, wouldn't that be a miracle?

June 24, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  166. Donna in ID

Yes. It is said that God does not give you more than he believes you can handle. But there are times I think he makes mistakes and it takes a miracle to get straightened out. I sure hope he steps in very soon to guide the American People no mater what their beliefs are. We need no false Gods or saviours.

June 24, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  167. gary lee, san luis obispo, ca.

i think that anyone who debunks miracles is a fool. the saying, 'THE MIRACLE OF BIRTH" is only a figure of speech!. so dont be coey or mince words. SCIENCE IS GREAT AND WONDERFUL.
    but humanity needs something bigger than themselves, to beleive in.
    so be respectful and dont bash them for it, chump!

June 24, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  168. Jay Longley

Yes, Jack, I believe firmly in God and miracles. I don't believe in organized religion.
    Brownwood, Texas

June 24, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  169. Thomas, Yo.town, OH

Amen.

June 24, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  170. Foley in Idaho

No. Miracles are wishful thinking reenforced by centuries of religious and hierarchal conditioning.

The bible isn't so much a record of miracles, but a record of the subjective observations of mankind as we progressed along the evolutionary ladder of consciousness, and the experiences we chose to keep track of. The miracles within are just artistic license being taken where we didn't have enough information to give the real answer, and put into an outline that suggested that we should all just do as we are told.

The problem with this type of thinking is never more evident than now, as George W. Bush attempts to turn the bible into a self fulfilling prophecy.

June 24, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  171. Kerry Diehl

Hello Jack,

I'm not the most religious person by any stretch of the imagination, yet do think some things that occur are beyond explanation.

Perhaps the Catholics (my wife) seem to be the best with believing in miricales as compared to the rest of us.

Now then, should we come up with a good/great Independent candidate, such as Lou Dobbs, you bet I'll be an absolute believer in "Miracles"!!

kerry diehl
    grosse ile, mi.

June 24, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  172. Jay-Mississippi

Absolutely, Jack!!! I have experienced a few in my life time. True heart wrenching how did that happen, where did all of that good come from in the face of tragedy miracles. I have personal experience. Also i pray more than twice a day, and i am still tolerant, because my faith teaches me love, enduring, inspite of love. You cannot be intolerant and love people. Oh by the way, I am from the northeast, and now live in the deep south.

June 24, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  173. Sly from Michigan

Jack, I'll make a deal with you, If you believe in Santa Claus, I'll believe in miracles.

Sly from Michigan

June 24, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  174. David Richards

I believe in God but I don't believe in miracles like virgin births , resurrections from death or ascensions into heaven. So I guess I have problems with the theologies of Jews, Christians and Muslims. I agree with most of what Christopher Hitchins says. As far as I'm concerned Jews, Christians and Muslims are all nuts.

June 24, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  175. Jackson from Rome, GA

We have somehow survived Bush's reign, haven't we? That's proof enough of miracles for me.

June 24, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  176. Tom, Ft Lauderdale

Jack

I believe George Bush elected twice has got to be a miracle. He doesn't go to my church though.

June 24, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  177. Kevin

Jack, if my wife and I can sell either one of our two homes or the Detroit Lions ever win a Super Bowl it will be a miracle!

Kevin
    Warren, MI

June 24, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  178. Paul, Columbia, SC

Hell yes I believe in miracles. I have to believe because you can't believe in anyone anymore to do what is right. The future looks pretty grim.

June 24, 2008 at 4:35 pm |
  179. Teri from Virginia

I believe in miracles. We need a miracle to help us survive the consequences of our current administration's actions.

June 24, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  180. Esther Cuyahoga Falls Ohio

no way

June 24, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  181. Potter Kingsland, GA

Yes. Viagra is a miracle.

June 24, 2008 at 4:54 pm |
  182. Craig from Scottsdale, Arizona

Let me get this straight:

Tolerant = Religious
    Religious = Pray Often
    Pray Often = Conservative
    Conservative NOT Tolerant

I'll need a miracle to figure that out...but of course I don't believe in Miracles. There is an explanation for everything. The answer must be that Conservative hide behind Religion because they are not Tolerant.

June 24, 2008 at 4:55 pm |
  183. Mark Irwin

Hello Jack,
    Yes, I believe in miracles! Not the ones you read about in the Bible, or those championed from the pulpit; but rather, the miracles of the human spirit that restore hope and faith for the human race.
    Mark Irwin
    San Francisco

June 24, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  184. Kevin in Springfield

Jack,

It means that even the smartest of us have had things happen in our lives we can't quite allow to be explained by "dumb luck." If we could use dumb luck to explain everything around us, then there would be a heck of a lot more than 8%.

June 24, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  185. Caroline Tampa, FL

OF course I believe in Miracles. They are only miralces to us because science has not caught up with what you have experienced. We have barely begun to understand how atoms work. Physicists have noticed that they inadvertently are influencing the atoms. The atoms are behaving like the scientists think they will. Look at solar eclipses – they were a miracle before they were understood.

June 24, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  186. Kerry Diehl

Hi Jack, (not to be said at an airport for sure!!)

(After reading many of your responses, I wanted to add a second thought that goes beyond our everyday lives.)

Perhaps the absolute miracle is life itself, not just for humans but in all forms be it microscopic or still undiscovered by us mere mortals.

Is the universe the explanation for life …or is life the ultimate answer to the equation of why the universe itself exists?

I believe our religions (all) are a vain and simple attempt to explain the reason of our reason for existence.

kerry diehl
    grosse ile, mi

June 24, 2008 at 4:59 pm |
  187. Teresa, Tallahassee, FL

Yes, absolutely there are miracles and they happen every day, all around us. We just need to be open to seeing and accepting them as such. When you think about it, quantum theory is just as faith-based as any organized religion.

June 24, 2008 at 5:00 pm |
  188. Dick B

Everytime Jack smiles it is a miracle.

June 24, 2008 at 5:01 pm |
  189. Janice

I pray every day and go to church and I'm a Democrat. There are lots of us out there but as usual we all get lumped with the narrow segment of evangelicals who are like Mr. Dobson – who considering the few people who subscribe to his views should not be making news.

I do believe in miracles also. How else can you explain that we are lucky enough to still have a chance to vote to save this country from the leadership we have had the last 7 years who do not believe in the rule of law and have taken us and many others in this world to the brink of total disaster to profit narrow corporate interests.

June 24, 2008 at 5:01 pm |
  190. Trevor

Jack

The theory says " the more religious (greater the level of faith) people are" NOT "the more (greater number of) religious people there are"

June 24, 2008 at 5:03 pm |
  191. Sam Taylor Oroville California

I would if I ever heard Jack reading a comment from Me.
    Now that would be a Miracle.

June 24, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  192. MadPlato

Yes, Jack. I also believe in Miracle Whip and Extraterrestrials.

EL PASO, TEXAS

June 24, 2008 at 5:11 pm |
  193. Jan in Florida

I must – otherwise why would I think that all that Bush has destroyed can be 'fixed. And in that line of thinking, why isn't the mainline media giving any attention to the various attempts being made to impeach the man?

June 24, 2008 at 5:12 pm |
  194. Phildale from Denver

Yes!!! My life has been full of those miracles. I think ones faith has a big part in if you can believe in miracles. I mean, why do we have faith for?? My faith is not only based on my religious beliefs and values but also the BELIEF that miracles are possible.

June 24, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  195. Tiffani/Lake City, FL

Yes, miracles happen – and it is true by my own accounts/encounters that those who preach the most, are the ones you should run away from, as fast as one can!! Having the true spirit of God frees a person from competing with the Joneses, thinks of everyones welfare and is selfless. No one has the corner on God and His Grace, and should not have the authority to judge others. If a candidate is free of neferious behaviour runs, they would never win. Go figure – I have no denomination yet feel real close to God.

June 24, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  196. Andrea Lyle

Yes, miracles do happen. Sometimes, we fail to see them or see them much later for what they are but there are miracles in everyone's life.

June 24, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  197. Len, Colorado

Well said Debra Rich!

June 24, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  198. Kay, Philadelphia

Yes. It's a miracle that George W. won two terms when he used terminology like "fuzzy math" in debates and followed it up by wiping our the surplus and replacing it with a ridiculous deficit. Frankly, that miracle was embarassing.

June 24, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  199. Dante

Ofcourse I do very much believe in miracles.But do you know what?No miracles would help McCain win in november.

June 24, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  200. elaine, atlanta

no because thats not the only reason women were voting for Sen. Clinton. Sen. McCain does not have the intrest of women voters on his agenda.

June 24, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  201. Daniel Davis, Keene, NH

Yes Jack, I do believe in miracles. Each and everyday is the greatest miracle in life, we never know when will be our last day so we should live each day as if it were our last.

June 24, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  202. Anne

Yes, Jack.

I have seen several. I really loved the one that saved my life.
    Now, I would like to see one, or two for this Nation, starting at the top:
    Change of Administration
    End of all War
    Economic Health and prosperity for all

..just to begin

Anne
    Michigan

June 24, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  203. Franklin Bains

It's hard to answer yes or no on such an existential question. Yes, I believe that Jesus Christ and the apostles did miracles 2000 years ago. Yes, I believe that miracles can still happen today, but it almost seems as though this is not the answer you're driving at for some reason. I don't believe in miracles today as they were seen 2000 years ago. God is not a magician and he does not perform showy miracles in every instance.

I see a miracle when I see any individual helping any other individual for no reason other than to support that person.

June 24, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  204. M.Plato

I just heard Wolf mention to Texas governor Rick Perry how low Bush's approval number is. Wolf asked Perry if Bush had done anything wrong. Perry's answer was no. Rick Perry is not an example of a miracle.

June 24, 2008 at 5:23 pm |
  205. Lisette

June 24, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  206. Foley in Idaho

There's no such thing as theophobia. That's a nonsense word like Miracle and god and satan.

June 24, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  207. Paul L Norris

Hi Jack, I'll believe in miracles when bigfoot parts Lake Superior. I take that back, you're still on the air and that would in some circles be considered a minor miracle.

June 24, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  208. Jenna Wade

Do you believe in miracles?

Of course!

Bushies would beleive that it's a miracle that GW Bush isn't on trial at the Hague for war crimes, wouldn't you say?

I think that it will be a miracle when he is on trial!

Jenna
    Roseville CA

June 24, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  209. M.L. Squier

Yes, Jack. I also believe in Miracle Whip and Extraterrestrials.

June 24, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  210. Bruce Marshall

I don't know Jack about miracles, but there are things that happen that can't be worked out. So I guess the answer is yes. Or someone is pulling a good joke on us all. God gives us what we need to solve any problem we just have to look for it.

June 24, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  211. Marty, Idaho

I do believe in miracles, but not in the "magical" sense. I belive that People who work to make other people's dreams come true or their lives a little better create miracles for others.

June 24, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  212. Jerry

If the Great Decider leaves office with an approval rating higher then 50% that would be a damn miracle

June 24, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  213. Ben from Chicago

I am a life-long Cubs fan. So no, I won't hold my breath waiting for a miracle.

And if the Cubs ever do succeed in getting back to the World Series, it will not be because a higher power chose them that particular year. It will because that group of players earned it physically, mentally and strategically.

With as colloquial as that explanation is, it also applies to all other life experiences. Obama's rise is no miracle; it is a calculated and exact trajectory.

June 24, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  214. Alan

from Portland Oregon – Yes I believe in miracles – It's a miracle we haven't blown ourselves out of the universe – it's a miracle after 8 years of Bush we still have a country to salvage – it's a miracle that Amy Winehouse could even be considered as musically inclined

June 24, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  215. Sarah, Broomfield CO

Sure. And faeries, unicorns, leprechauns, gnomes, elves, and other magical things and creatures that only I can see.

June 24, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  216. Edward from Cleveland, Ohio

Jack,
    Al Michaels asked us that question in 1980, and I still say yes!
    USA! USA! USA!

June 24, 2008 at 5:31 pm |
  217. Michael Sparks, Nevada

Jack:
    To answer your question, yes, how can you not?

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955) German-Swiss-U.S. scientist.

June 24, 2008 at 5:32 pm |
  218. Michael in New Jersey

If suddenly the economy is turned around, troops are out of Iraq, and human and not robot/alien politicians are in office, then yes, Jack I would believe in miracles

June 24, 2008 at 5:32 pm |
  219. Mary Kish

Jack, I'll believe in miracles when I turn on c-span and see the house and senate republicans and democrates agreeing.

June 24, 2008 at 5:34 pm |
  220. dennis north carolina

June 24, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  221. T.J. Windsor, CO

I am 30 years old and a fan of the Chicago White Sox, but If the Chicago Cubs win the World Series before I die, I will believe in miracles!!!

June 24, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  222. Chris, Colorado

I`ll believe in miricles if Vince Mcmahon promises to give out another Million bucks!

June 24, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  223. Cynthia

I definitely do, but you gotta have faith.

June 24, 2008 at 5:45 pm |
  224. Toni Boutwell, Myrtle Beach SC

Maybe. If we get to 01-20-09 without being lied into another war, If we find the courage to try and imprison the traitors in the Bush regime, and if we look like we're emerging from the dark ages then I'll believe there just could be miricles, even now.

June 24, 2008 at 5:46 pm |
  225. matt

June 24, 2008 at 5:49 pm |
  226. Charles H Specht

Yes Jack, I believe that miracles happen.

Charles H Specht
    Bishop, California

June 24, 2008 at 5:50 pm |
  227. Drew from Green Bay, WI

It really depends how you define a miracle. If you define a miracle as God's intervention than no. If you define a miracle as an unknown reason why something positive, and yet unexpected, happened due to a lack of knowledge maintaning the use of science than yes.

June 24, 2008 at 5:53 pm |
  228. matt

it be miracle if we could all live free like wefare and ssi people get everything given to us without having to work

June 24, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  229. Barry Taylor

It will certainly be a miracle if the next President can get the country out of of the mess that the current 2-Term moron has got us into. It will also be a miracle when we can ignore the religeous whackos that seem to have so much influence in the goverment of our country!

June 24, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  230. Dennis from Phoenix, Arizona

Only if lightning strikes Bush, Cheney and all of the Republican politicians currently in office.

June 24, 2008 at 6:00 pm |
  231. Nuwan Sam

Yes Jack, but not in a way that many thinks. For me miracles are things that happen yet we have no explanation. That is only because we still know only very little in this universe. And when something happen that we can not explain it becomes a miracle not because God do that, but because we just can not see how it happened.

Nuwan from Houston, TX