June 20th, 2008

How to survive the presidential campaign?

ALT TEXT
(PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGE)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

The interest in this year's presidential election is something we haven't seen in a very long time. Record turnouts for the primaries, young people involved on a scale that's unprecedented, hundreds of thousands of new voters. TV ratings for the primaries reflected a ravenous appetite – especially for the seemingly never-ending Democratic primary contests. The run for the White House this time has been relentless.

Ordinarily, the primaries wrap up early, and the country hits the snooze button on politics until the conventions later in the summer. Interest in the general election traditionally doesn't even exist until sometime after Labor Day. But not this time. There will be no recess. It's all politics all the time right through to November.

It's a reasonable bet that you will become so sick of Obama and McCain by the fall that Mickey Mouse might stand a chance as a write-in. And while it's tempting to make light of this marathon, nevertheless it's very healthy for our country.

The reason Washington D.C. has become the dysfunctional cesspool it has is because we have allowed it to. Maybe this election we stand a chance of getting it right.

But don't kid yourself… there's a lot of pain ahead.

Here’s my question to you: How do you plan to survive the presidential campaign?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Maria from Las Vegas writes:
Jack, I don't honestly know how I'll survive let alone get any work done. Ever since the primaries, I feel like I haven't worked at all. And yet, my business is booming. I only pay for gas once a month, watch CNN all the time or go online like a political junkie. I’ve changed my status to Independent (from Republican) and my family is happier than it's ever been. I think I better continue what I'm doing, vote for Obama...and keep watching CNN.

Jeff from Hanover, Pennsylvania writes:
I am worried deeply about it. I actually like some of what Obama represents and I like some of what McCain represents. And that's what worries me. I will probably have to stay tuned to all of the shameless campaign rhetoric all summer and early fall to make the important decision. I am worried because that will make me ill.

Jack from Las Vegas writes:
Jack, Like a passenger on a sinking boat 10 miles offshore, I know that the swim will be tough, but if I don't focus and swim like hell, I won't survive at all. That's how important this election is and why, although it won't be easy, paying attention will be worth it for all of us.

Mwita from Los Angeles writes:
Glued to CNN like Pavlov's dogs, salivating every time John King touches the big board.

David from Jacksonville, Florida writes:
Everything is cool, Jack. Beer is cheaper than gas. I'm bound to make it through.

L.A. from Boston writes:
Jack, I plan on getting through it just by watching you and Wolf debate the issues that arise. You complain and Wolf tries to calm you down. It's really fun to watch. Missed you yesterday, hope you had an enjoyable day off and didn't worry about Hillary, Barack or John while you were out.

Ray from Florida writes:
Self-medication, Jack!

Filed under: 2008 Election
  1. Greg ...Cabot AR

My three steps to sanity in this presidential campaign are:

1. Get a bigger recycling box for all the political junk mail I will probably get.

2. Prerecord all my favorite prime time TV shows and fast forward through the political commercials.

3. Switch to decaf coffee before watching CNN.

I have already made up my mind on who I am voting for.

June 20, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  2. Judie

Jack,
    As long as you do not take off to much time I will survive the election very well thank you. " A day with out the Cafferty File is like a day without sunshine." Jack my day seems somehow incomplete without your segments. CNN has turn me into a political junkie. I think I may have to get a hobby when the election is over.

Judie
    St. Augustine, Fl.

June 20, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  3. JD

By volunteering for Obama.

June 20, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  4. Chryssa

I'll not only survive but enjoy every minute of volunteering for Obama. We've been going strong for a year now. What's another 4 1/2 months?

Boise, ID

June 20, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  5. Jenny

Jack,

A good sense of humor and CNN. Hey that is how I survived the Primanry season.

Jenny Rome Ga

June 20, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  6. David, Orlando, FL

Rather than endure another half a year of non stop wall-to-wall hour-by-hour election and campaign coverage, I was planning on taking an extended vacation. But since there are no vacation resorts within walking distance of my house I will have to stay home. Unfortunately I would have to fill up the tank to get to a resort, but if I do that I won’t be able to pay for the room. Maybe I’ll do something exciting like the laundry.

June 20, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  7. John in San Diego

As a self-confessed political news junkie, I plan to stock up on beer and frozen pizza and stay glued to the reporting of the best political news team on television.

June 20, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  8. Diane, Barneveld, NY

Rent lots of movies especially for election day.

June 20, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  9. Jason, Koloa, HI

The presidential campaign? I just hope we make it through next week.

June 20, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  10. PT Voorhees, NJ

Jack, I got my plastic wrap, my duck tape,my can goods, bottles of water and I have drawn up a retreat plan for the family to go to the basement....oh wait a minute, I'm sorry. That's my homeland security plan.

June 20, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  11. Jayne in NH

Haven't you asked this before? I think I responded then that I will be working in my victory garden. In case you're interested, everything is growing like weeds – including the weeds. In 4 weeks we'll have the first salmonella-free tomatoes. Fresh basil was $5 at the grocery store today, so I expect to be a wealthy woman before long. Maybe I'll donate to Obama.

June 20, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  12. Dan, Chantilly Va

The same way I survived the primaries: by coming on here and sharing my cynicism with the world. I may make people feel worse, but I feel much better.

June 20, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  13. John St. Louis Mo

I survive by watching CNN and learning more and more about the infighting, spouses, and non issue issues. Then look at the speeches and appearances made by the candidates to get the real news as to where they stand on the real issues. Thanks for the media for covering so completely the issues that do not effect the campaign, such as what Michelle, or Cindy might say or do, or what someone in the Candidate's past may have said 20 – 40 years ago, or what faux pas the candidate may have slipped. It sure has become more entertaining and less informative.

June 20, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  14. Janet Johannssen

When I see Obama or McCain on TV click "mute" on our remote.
    Janet J
    Michigan

June 20, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  15. Kirven Dunham

As long as the Situation Room does not go away I will make it. However, that segment at the end of the show where Wolf ask 3 of you questions should be longer. I LOVE THAT SEGMENT

June 20, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  16. Mary, Alabama

By watching television and internet coverage and biting my nails that Obama will win. For me it's a cliff hanger. Should make for an entertaining TV season, that is, unless McCain gets ahead. Then I will fall into a funk and hate every second of it until my man pulls ahead once more.

June 20, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  17. JC from Pflugerville, Texas

We won't answer the phone or the door, then we'll vote early and leave town until after the results are final and hope that between now and then Bush doesn't start another war.

June 20, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  18. Censored

Well, I don't plan to watch Cafferty file every day! I'll just wait untill November, vote for Obama because there really is no other choice even if he isn't the best for the job. Then I'll wait and watch the US burn as Congress fiddles and Obama falters under the heavy strain of the Pox placed on the American People by Bush!

Really, next year half the country will be unemployed and the rest unable to go to work for the CEO's who will have all the money by then. And Obama and Congress will still have their heads up their $%#@! Greed has won and the Horsemen are ridding!

June 20, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  19. Maggie Muggins From Selwyn

Normally elections are boring but with the huge difference in candidates and their policies this one is much more interesting even world wide.

Most of the free world are watching and hoping the U.S. citizens will denounce the Bush policies and hand McCain a sound defeat of at least 40% and then we can relax in the knowledge your country is striving to once again become the leader of the free world and establish a moral authority for everyone.

June 20, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  20. Kim, Canada

You, Keith & the Daily show

June 20, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  21. Judy, Exeter, Ca

I'll use my tivo and cherry pick . The Cafferty file is one of my favorite segments on the Situation Room. I like being informed, but can't stand some of the less meaningful drivel dredged up by the media. Guess that's what the fast forward button is for.

June 20, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  22. Michael Lorton, Virginia

Only one way to survive the Presidental campaign........Cafferty Files...am I right Hollywood Jack and/or Ranger Jack? Great..great.....great book.

June 20, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  23. Fish, MN

Jack,
    I'll be just fine as usual, the question is how would you?
    Good luck finding a good topic to talk about after these election months are over.

June 20, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  24. Mari, Salt Lake City, Utah

By hoping and praying that America WAKES UP and throws the Republicans OUT! By staying informed, reading, listening to NPR, watching CNN and MSNBC and discerning what is best for our nation.
    And praying that Sen. Obama is safe and the winner in November!

June 20, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  25. Mark G, St. Paul MN

The only way to get through it is to stay engaged and interested. It's an historic time, revel in it and remember it.

June 20, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  26. Grace in California

I plan on making it through this General Election cycle by reading and reading and reading. Since I like to read, it's not a chore.

Listening to the candidates is also necessary.

I also like indepth reporting and analysis of the issues, but with the loss of one of our nation's greatest treasures Tim Russert, it's going to feel a bit empty.

June 20, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  27. Nancy K from Indiana

I plan to donate to Obama. I plan to encourage all my friends and relatives to vote for Obama. And I will write nasty comments to journalists and/or news reporters who say anything bad about him or his family!!!!!!!

June 20, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  28. Mary - California

Just vote at election time , whoever that may be, and move on!

June 20, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  29. Nancy in Florida

After surviving eight long years under the current administration, surviving the presidential campaign is a piece of cake.

June 20, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  30. Paul, Columbia, SC

Re-write my will in Arabic.

June 20, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  31. AndyZ Fairfax, VA

I have bunkers on the front lawn with minefields between them. There are tank obstacles on the driveway. I have found a way to program my cable remote to avoid any presidential race news coverage. I plan to return to a normal life along with Puxatawney Phil on February 2nd. I am sick of network and cable news coverage in such detail as to inform me if one candidate or the other belched and failed to excuse himself. You are splitting hairs down to subatomic particles. Give it a rest. You probably won't so I guess I'll see you in February.

June 20, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  32. Paul, Columbia, SC

That's tough Jack. Did you mean all 57?

June 20, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  33. Brandon in Boston

I don't plan on surviving. In fact, I'm certain it will drive me crazy if it hasn't already. By the time November comes around I'll probably have to be instituionalized. I'm sure I'll be having hallucinations of Wolf Blitzer shouting election results in one ear and you shouting in the other.

June 20, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  34. Paulette Dallas,PA

I'm going to spend every day with you and Wolf! I missed you yesterday Jack! Don't tell me you're losing interest so early.

June 20, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  35. mitch martin arkansaw

the doctor wont prescribe valiums ,for election stress,so, i'm thinking i might quit drinking ,and take up marijuana cigarettes,instead.drinking just doesn't ease the stress,like it used to,and it tastes bad ,in the morning.

June 20, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  36. Anne/Seattle

The presidential campaign and all the issues involved are fascinating. And this fall when the tension cranks up a few notches, it'll really be fun. I've put up my Obama sign months ago and wear my Obama lapel pin and feel all in all ready for all that is yet to unfold.

June 20, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  37. Sandra fromTexas

I know I am voting a straight Democratic ticket, so I just let everything go in one ear and out the other and go on about my business.

June 20, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  38. Mike, Syracuse NY

I just started taking a third blood pressure medication. By November, I'll probably need a fourth.

June 20, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  39. JT in NYC

My strongest survival mechanism is just knowing that when all is said and done there will be no more George Bush and Dick Cheney to contend with. That alone is a reassuring thought.

June 20, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  40. Jonathan, Hartford, CT

Get outside. Enjoy nature. Know that the change of seasons is the one thing we can believe in. Never expect a higher truth from a candidate.

June 20, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  41. Dick B

With the price of gas, I have decided to dig for oil in my backyard. When I am rich I won't care who wins the election. So far I have been successful only in disconnecting everyone's telephone service and cracking the city's sewer line.

June 20, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  42. Dan, NC

Watch the hilarious comedy show – Lou Dobbs Tonight

June 20, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  43. Hope, Alabama

I'm a political junkie, so I thrive off the election season. But I plan to survive it by reading my local newspaper to stay informed, advocate my opinions on my blog and editorials, and talk to people about why they should vote for Senator Obama.

Other than that, I'll just sit back and watch Bust screw up the country and effectively hand Obama the Presidency.

June 20, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  44. Jan from Ohio

Reading & blogging, Jack-O; keeping informed. I'll be fumbling as I search for honest reporting & a truer direction to head in without Tim Russert leading our way. But, I (we) will do my (our) best, read your blogs, check in with The HuffPo and pray that there is a God who will FINALLY take pity on us & show a little mercy from now until January 20th.

Have a good weekend, Jack & everybody! Hope Cheney doesn't catch you in a compromising conversation on your phone this weekend. Gotta love those fascists & their FISA!

June 20, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  45. RJ from Pennsylvania

Easy – watch CNN and stay away from FOX News.

June 20, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  46. Katiec Pekin, IL

I have become an addict to the primary and now the G.E.
    You travel daily from smiles to anger, agree and disagree,
    all brought on by the news commentators.
    You talk back to them, question the slander and distortions
    that are repeated over and over, and question their
    unknowlegeable opinions. You cringe over comments
    made by the so called political experts. You question why
    we don't hear more about policies and where the
    nominees stand on issues. You get on blogs to vent
    your frustrations.
    And, you look forward every day to letting Jack know how
    you feel.

June 20, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  47. Rick Medina,OH

Jack,

I plan to invest 8-10 hours each month distributing campaign literature, work a booth at this summer's county fair to register voters, hold a couple social events at my home (on behalf of a 527), and work the phones on election night. It is called 'participation,' Jack, and when you do that, you don't have a lot of left-over time to listen to other folks pontificate about the election. You don't have anything to 'survive' from.

June 20, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  48. Loretta from California

blog, blog, blog, and Laugh a lot.....and then, laugh some more.

June 20, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  49. Terry from North Carolina

Jack
    It will be real tough to get through this especially without Tim Russert, however I still have you and Wolf with your interesting observations.

June 20, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  50. Betty - AL

Work my butt off to get more money to send to Obama.

Thanks

June 20, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  51. Jeremy

Jack well i willjust keep my self busy by phone banking, voter registrating, and canvassing.....and for guess who?...Barack Obama

June 20, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  52. Kim, Dodge City, Kansas

I'll survive by not getting my hopes up too high for a "changed" government. This circus will end, and we'll still have gridlock and incompetence in government because the fundamentals will not have changed, just the players.

June 20, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  53. John Sanders

Los Angeles–

I will ignore the constant sniping and bickering by watching reruns of the Three Stooges.

June 20, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  54. randy,new york

If i survived 2000 presidential election,i think i will make it through this time.

June 20, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  55. Dan Lazarus

I plan on surviving this political campaign by getting a cannabis club card here in California for a condition called Campaignitis. Then I plan to laugh. A lot.

June 20, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  56. Mike from Rome, GA

Jack, there is no escaping the election. It's everywhere! Anyone who suggest some way to avoid it is dillusional. It isn't a bad thing, though..... 4 years ago if you told me the country was going to have political fever, I'd have laughed in your face.

June 20, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  57. Toni - Atlanta

Jack,

I'm enjoying every minute of it, and, I catch CNN every chance I get. I'm also doing my part by engaging voters in the political process.

Now that my candidate of choice has elected to opt out of public funding, I'm even hosting a fundraiser.

June 20, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  58. maggie from Minnesota

RJ from Pennsylvania has it right – Watch CNN and STAY away from FOX News.

June 20, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  59. Paul, Louisiana

While I do know people who are sick of it already, I've actually started to like following politics. It's become somewhat of a hobby for me. I think I will have withdrawals when it is over..... oh no...

I'm more worried about what Bush has planned from now until the election. I just hope he goes quietly without starting any more messes.

June 20, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  60. RYUKEN

I can survive only if Obama picks Hillary as VP. If he doesn't I am going to vote against Obama.

June 20, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  61. Janet Abdoulaye, Indianapolis, Indiana

I plan to get through the General Election with the television remote in hand and a bowl of popcorn. It's the most important and interesting thing on tv these days!!

June 20, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  62. Tom Bruce

By trying hard to remember which party is the blue states and which party is red.

June 20, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  63. Dennis MEtnick

Without Russert it will be hard. However, this year is so exciting, I'm gonna just lay back in my media room and enjoy it.

June 20, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  64. Moe Oceanside California

I will keep watching, I hope this time will be worth it

June 20, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  65. Sean O Cathain

I don’t know that I will survive it. First thing I do in the morning and last at night is to check political blogs and news. I love it and can’t get enough! Thanks for your contribution to my addiction!

June 20, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  66. John

No survival required here. After so many years of just flipping a coin in the voting booth (yawn), Barack Obama's candidacy has me all cranked up. It is going to be so exciting this fall! First the election on November 4, then just a few weeks later the Michigan-Ohio State game.

Fort Collins, CO

June 20, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  67. AdamW

My main concern right now is how I can manage to survive paying my bills, how I can afford gas to get to work, pay a mortgage that has inflated to 10.5% interest and buy food that isn't comprised of all unhealthy fast food.

Surviving life while all of these politicians like Dodd get special deals, and McCain lives in the lap of luxury with his millionaire wife and acts like he relates to me.

I would also appreciate new news and not 5 days straight of how Michelle Obama was on the View. Am I to believe that nothing else is news worthy to CNN? How about daily updates, or hourly?

June 20, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  68. Jenna

How do you plan to survive the presidential campaign?

By looking for a job.

I've been unemployed now for over 2 years and I bet I STILL won't have a job by election day – Nov 2008.

Age decrimination is alive and well here in Northern CA, as I am sure it is elsewhere in America.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

June 20, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  69. Kevin

Jack, I will sit back and enjoy teaching my 10 and 11 year old kids about the election process watching the whole CNN team and the magic board. Just think of all the overwhelming material the comedians will have at the end of the campaign season. Bill Maher's Realtime in August should be great. Jack, you would be an awesome panelist on his show.

Kevin
    Warren, MI

June 20, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  70. Bryon

It isn't gonna be easy Jack, the rational of some voters is nothing short of mindboggling. I'm still trying to find out where John McCain stands on anything and fearfully I don't think I would truly find out till he reached the White House.

Here is to coming from a lifelong family of conservative Republicans and me being able to sell them on Obama and I will be making sure I seal the deal, though I don't think I need to, they have eyes, they know the shape the country is in.

June 20, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  71. Kito Brandt

It's easy to survive the Presidential Campaign. Just turn off the Television!

~Kito
    Tampa, Florida

June 20, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  72. Wilberforce Majaji

For you to survice this political season you'll need to EAT, DRINK and SLEEP politics. I'm loving it.

June 20, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  73. Debbie, Illinois

Fact Check, Alka-Seltzer and a few very strong Martini's.
    (Not necessarily in that order)

June 20, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  74. tina

now that we've lost tim russert i have no idea how i will get through it.

June 20, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  75. Tracy - Oakley, CA

I'm going to survive by volunteering and sending money to Obama's campaign.

June 20, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  76. Jay Longley

I plan to survive the presidential campaign with a clear conscience – I will be voting for Ralph Nader.
    Jay Longley
    Brownwood, Texas

June 20, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  77. Vic

Dear Jack:

That is simple. Just shut my TV off except when you are on. You are the only person that makes any sense. You are one of us and that is why you are so well loved.

The host of all the other shows on TV, twist and spin everything to where more people are influenced by what they think and what the Republican and Democratic strategist's think than what the candidates stand for.

There are too many political shows. We only need one show and that is the Jack Cafferty Show. You are the Straight Talk Express.

Keep up the good work

Vic

June 20, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  78. Raj, Toronto

Well, the real question Jack is how will the Republican party survive this election. There is need for major reform towards what real conservatism means. It means small government and personal liberties and thats what exactly the party does not represent at the moment.

June 20, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  79. Bridgette-PA

By following which states are Red, Blue, Safe, Swinging, and Tossing for Barack Obama.....that's all I'll be focusing on until November, Jack. Love the Electoral Map. This stuff is exciting!

June 20, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  80. Gwen Jackson

I have always loved economics and politics. What I can't stand is getting off the issues that are most important to me and I hope this country. If we can provide good solid issues and stay on task with them I am up for the challenge. But if we are going to play the back-and-forth game about silly little issues like what someone is wearing (i.e. baseball caps, head gear, etc.) I will tune out until November.

Gwen Jackson
    Sugar Land, Texas

June 20, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  81. Henry David @ Walden pond

I am going to goto Canada, and learn to speak canadian, and go oot and aboot ah gain, and ah gain drinking real beer out of green bottles, and brag about those maple Leafs Eh. I will watch CBC, and listen to RCI on the radio,
    go to municiple activities, and remember Zee is not the last letter of the alphebet Zed is.
    My biggest problem when oot and aboot will be finding a bathroom,
    so I guess i'll use the Face ilities at the Lav or it tory instead Eh.

June 20, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  82. Dan- South Dakota

Election? Is there something going on I don't know about Jack?

June 20, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  83. votetheissues

I have reached a new level of cynicism- I don't care anymore- they are all egotistical power hungry liars. Wish someone with a brain and integrity would run – but that would just contradict them having a brain and integrity.

June 20, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  84. Rudy NYC

I have no idea. My plan was to let Tim Russert give most of the tour. Now I guess Wolf has to do it all by himself!

June 20, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  85. Timberdoodle

Myself and everyone else with a brain should be taking lessons on how to speak and understand the Chinese language. They hold our mortgage and if he war continues the mortgage will grow accordingly.

One thing about it by the time we invade Iran the Chinese may own enough of our country they will have to join in and support us to keep from losing everything.

June 20, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  86. Margie Rosenthal

Honestly Jack, this is the most exciting election since JFK. Finally I feel we have someone to vote for (Obama) instead of just picking the best of the worst. Instead of trying to "get through it", I am worried what I will do when it is all over and I don't have the "Best News Team" on the air telling me all the juicy gossip!

June 20, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  87. Mauri

If I survived the Democratic primary campaigns, then nothing will ever do me in! In fact, I'm so glad Hillary Clinton is out of the race, even though she is much more qualified and personally unflawed than either of the two left.

When day in and day out, you, Chris Matthews, Keith Olberman, and the fat guy at Fox News all lead each and every story of the day with something trashy about Hillary, it grew painful. I still don't know why you all did that, but now she's out - and so am I.

Mauri Novosad
    Sugar Land, Texas

June 20, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  88. Diane Glasser

Watch the weekly campaign results on Friday Night with Bill Marr, and Monday evening news on CNN and NBC.

June 20, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  89. Ryan, Champaign IL

Jack, my plan to survive is to devote all of my time to defeating the members of Congress who voted against our Constitution today, immunizing the White House for illegally wiretapping American citizens. These people sold us out to the highest bidder, and with it, betrayed our Democracy.

June 20, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  90. Ron Feuer

After seeing the results of the last two failures of elections, the present one promises to be yet another one in the line of failures. We have fashioned ourselves into a nation of losers...there will be no winners in the '08 election. Time to look for another watering hole in my book of tricks. Australia looks good at this time!

June 20, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  91. Ken F. , Spofford, NH

It's easy Jack – by paying attention more than I have in the past. This one IS IMPORTANT!!

Study the candidates' positions on the ISSUES. Don't just vote the party, or a single issue. These past 8 years have not been so good.

If you get tired of the Presidential race, study the state and local candidates. Be involved.

You get the government you deserve!!

June 20, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  92. J. D. in Montana

By ignoring the outrageous twaddle spewed by the McBush gang, voting for Obama in November, and counting down the days until Bush and his shameful legacy depart.

93. Rena

I'm building a new house so when I get stressed out over the crazy people who keep trying to bull dozer Senator Obama; I will go out to the house and just stand their and admire the beautiful my Heavenly Father is allowing me to have and pray for us and American. Then I'll race home and and get on the net and send some more money to Senator Obama.

94. Mike Smith

by moving to Canada if Obama wins. Vote McCain.

95. paschal

The main election and excitement was the democratic nomination process. Its boring now that I don't have to make a choice. My mind is made up. We need a real change in America

96. Adam Mercer, Oshawa, Ontario

Jack,

I think you asked this question once already, I hope that is not an indication that you are bored with the race already?

As for how to get through it? I think Americans, like the rest of us watching from the outside looking in, are going to survive it by paying attention and seeing how this whole process works. We're all going to be very familiar with the mis-steps of each candidate, but we will also get to see some inspiring words, and hopefully some inspired actions.

97. Dan

I'll be kicking back with some popcorn every night watching the stories roll in. Politics is one hell of a show.

98. Karen Branson Missouri

Hey...it will be football season...lots of tailgating parties. How about a lot of tailgate recipes for the elections?
    Red White and Blue Burgers
    Voter Veggie dip
    Patriotic Anheuser Bush beer
    Boeing Bomber Burgers
    Hot dog McCain on a Bun
    Obama peppered steak
    McCabobs on a skewer
    Mixed culture frozen yogurt

99. Ann Marie

I find this presidential campaign to be exciting. My attention wanders every now and then, but then I get back on board.

100. Charles

I'm ignoring everyone

101. Terry in Hanover County

Chocolate - lots and lots of chocolate.

102. Rena

I'm building a new house so when I get stressed out over the crazy people who keep trying to bull dozer Senator Obama; I will go out to the house and just stand their and admire the beautiful home my Heavenly Father is allowing me to have and pray for us and American. Then I'll race home and and get on the net and send some more money to Senator Obama.

103. GMC from Columbus, Ohio

Well, it's easy. I listen to what Barack Obama has to say because he usually gives me something meaningful to think about. He may stumble here and there, but usually I can count on intelligent, logical statements from him, not to mention a sense of hope. He's running for president because he has a higher calling to serve.

Then, I start to listen to John McCain to get a sense of whether he has anything of substance to say. If not, and he's clearly heading towards the typical mean-spirited , Republican/Karl Rovian name-bashing, mode, I mute him because I don't want to hear that crap.

I want to hear issues and potential solutions. I'm struggling to hang on along with my neighbors. I am sick of mean spiritedness, name calling and lack of mutual respect. I want to see and hear sincere compassion for the American people because I'm convinced the Bush Administration has been about selfish greed and incompetence; they have nearly gouged the heart out of this country and I hope someday they realize it and are ashamed. So far, McCain has yet to convince me he's not Bush's third term because his history shows he's been tightly aligned with Bush's policies.

104. Roslynn

Roslynn from Brentwood, TN
    I'll learn how to grow salmanella-free tomatoes and sell them to my friends. I'll then take that money and send Obama a FAT check after the convention. I wont believe he's the Democratic nominee until he's no longer 'presumptive'.

June 20, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  105. Northern Man

I moved to Canada ... duller politics, stronger currency! What more could someone ask for!!

June 20, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  106. Nancy, Tennessee

Who said America was tired of reality shows? Bring on the candidates for another episode. We don't even have to wait for a special night for the show to air. Watch it anytime and anywhere. This is not a year to survive the elections. This is a year to engage in the principles of democracy.

June 20, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  107. Richard Sternagel

I will survive because there is a Ray Of Hope This Presidential Year! Go Obama!

June 20, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  108. TL, Minnesota

By watching you, Jack and Keith Olberman because you two tell it like it.

June 20, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  109. Hunter

Jack – I'm already pretty adept with the remote, anytime I even see McCain or Bush, my reflexes kick in and my thumb goes for the 'previous' button. If for some reason I'm not quick enough, the 'mute' comes in really handy too. I have to confess the same is becoming true of Obama. Truth is I knew who I will vote for long ago. I just wish I could fast forward to Election Day and get through the piles of steaming refuse we the peiople are being subjected too, almost all of which is truthiness, flip-flop-flammery and double speak. What a sham our democracy has become.

June 20, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  110. Laura Adoue

Personally, I'm happy as hell that we are finally at a place in time where we can actually begin to elect another president. I just hope we can survive the remaining months left in George W. Bush's presidency. We are in the middle of a war built on lies, crumbling infrastructure as witessed in the ongoing flooding in the midwest, continuing deaths of young American sons, husbands and fathers in Iraq, irrosion of our priceless constituion etc. etc. No, I won't get tired of this ongoing election. Our country simply can't afford to make another tragic mistake.

June 20, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  111. don in naples, florida

Turn the television off and avoid all national news media pertaining to election coverage.

June 20, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  112. Roy

Easy. Let's focus now on retiring the spinless opportunistic Congress (all of them) for doing nothing except passing FISL which was only to cover their backside for allowing the laws to be broken in the first place. Then, a good dose of bringing Bushy and Dick up on war crimes. Yea, should be a real hot summer!

June 20, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  113. Jennifer Thompson

If it was up to McCain to keep future voters interested in the election till November I am afraid he wouldn't get the turn out. It's Obama who is so exciting and interesting to listen to....with McCain I am asleep in the 1st minute of his speech! I am sooo bored listening to him. I plan to be awake and in tune all the way till the election. I don't want to miss a thing when our nation elects the first black president.

This is an exciting time in our history and I have to remember everything to tell my future children all about it. I have been paying attention to Obama and the election since he first appeared on the Oprah show and before he announced that he was running and I will follow the news whether it's CNN or FOX till election day.

Las Vegas, NV

June 20, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  114. Eugene In Florida

What I want to know is:

Where is all the money from the Iraq OIl going?

Why are reporters and politicans not asking this question?

June 20, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  115. J.C. from Raleigh, NC

Jack,
    In a previous election, Tim Russert put it succinctly, Florida-Florida-Florida. To survive this election the key is, Balance-Balance-Balance. Balance the Hannitys with the Olbermanns, the NY Times with the Wall Street Journal, add a few Rolling Rocks to the recipe each day, and this too shall pass.

June 20, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  116. Tom H in Phoenix, AZ

Work and or Volunteer for a campaigns! Support your candidates!

June 20, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  117. Mike - Rochester NY

If we could survive the last 8 years making it through the next 5 months should be a breeze.

June 20, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  118. Jason McDugle

Election Survival guide:

1) Pick up Hammer.

2) Crush Cable Box

3) Make Martini

4) Drink Martini

5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 as necessary.

Jason

June 20, 2008 at 4:02 pm |
  119. Aaron B.; Champaign, IL

I'm kicking my workout regimen into high gear. Unfortunately, I have a bum knee so I can't go running, but I've been resourceful in finding other ways to stay in shape and keep my mind on other things.

June 20, 2008 at 4:02 pm |
  120. ben.....La.

I've already decided that I am not going to let anything the Republican Attack Machine pulls out off their Dirty Tricks Bag surprise me. If I can stick with that decision and get a healthy dose of the Cafferty Files at least three times a week, then I'll survive.

June 20, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  121. Bill in Oklahoma

A nice kentucky bourbon

June 20, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  122. Phyllis (Jacksonville, Fl)

Here's a novel idea...why not level the playing field for the candidates
    by reforming the entire election process? I think we should
    set a time limit on campaigning , as well as a financial cap for how
    much each candidate can spend on the election. When I think of
    how much money is spent on getting elected, it sickens me because
    those millions could have been put towards solving some of the
    nation's myriad problems.
    A shorter campaign time would probably go a long way towards
    improving our involvement, not to mention the health of the candidates.

June 20, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  123. Dan Rose

It may just be folklore, but I've been told on page 11,713 of the patriot act, in small print around 2/3 down the page, there is a clause that reads that there will not be an election in 11 of 08. I've e-mailed my congressman, and there seems little else I can do. Say it isn't so, Jack! -Dan from New Orleans

June 20, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  124. Bryce Smedley

With gas prices so high, it seems like the politicians have us right where they want us, at home this summer to recieve their endless mailings, phone calls, door to door soliciters and watch their countless TV ads, not to mention the media's fascination with making every canidates misstep a national crisis. It's going to be a rough summer, lets just hope we get sombody in the White House who will work to make the next four years better and more peaceful world because the last eight years was real nightmare!

June 20, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  125. Jack, New Albany, Indiana

Mr. Cafferty:

Verify what I hear, Verify what I see, Verify what I read.

Then vote – and hope whomever wins lets me keep most of my money.

June 20, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  126. Donald

Jack,

You should have asked this question of the circus that was called the Democratic primary, at one point I swear my ears were bleeding with idiocities that the news media had come up with.

I plan on trying to read through all the bad press that exists to find the policies that each candidate has and chose from there. But frankly, I dont think that either of them gets it right and this is just like 2004 all over again where I am forced to pick between the lesser of two evils.

Donald
    Atlanta, GA

June 20, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  127. Rob

I'll be watching every bit because if Obama loses I'll be leaving this country.

June 20, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  128. Ali Khan, Elgin, IL

How will I survive this presidential race? Easy. I just need to keep reminding myself that we can't let John McCain keep us in Iraq. That's all I need to do.

June 20, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  129. Paul, New York City

I will try and tune out as much of the political rhetoric as I can. A sure sign of this is when the candidate's lips are moving.

June 20, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  130. Henry in Seattle

I will survive by becoming involved and support my candidate!

June 20, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  131. Ryan, Maryland

To survive, one must be comfortable.

Thus, I will drive my car as often as possible wherever I please. Leave the water on while brushing and take very long showers. Leave the lights on in my house even when I'm not there and crank up the AC.

Why? Because the next president is going to take my liberty away and make sure I can't do any of the above things!

June 20, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  132. Kin

Pictures are biased. For McCain's picture, you have three guys in suits holding signs. Not only that, but shadows cover much of their body. What message are you trying to portray here, that the evil businessman/insider supports McCain? For Obama, you have a crowd of seemingly regular people holding signs, with a messianic poster of him centered. That picture screams of religious fervor, if anything.

By the way, I'm an Independent leaning slightly towards Obama.

June 20, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  133. Josh, Columbus, OH

I will survive the general election by planning a large and boisterous "George W. GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE PARTY" because no matter who wins, we'll all be in a much better place.

June 20, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  134. Nia from Minneapolis

Looks like we've turned a corner, the comments here have lost their mindless ugliness – I think our little country might be growing up.

June 20, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  135. Mary J

I won't see any campaigning as I live in Massaachusetts- a state, "not in play".

June 20, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  136. Jim Casey

Are you kidding? After nearly 8 years of Bush, I'm actually desperate for this campaign to get going.

June 20, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  137. L.M.,Arizona

Jack I am looking forward to answering your questions and hearing Wolf pick apart everything the candidates say.

June 20, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  138. Annie, Atlanta

Try to weed through all the bs to get to the facts and hope all the other voters out there are doing the same. Misinformation damn near sunk us. It may still.

June 20, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  139. Sharon

Jack,
    I'm so excited about this election.. For the first time in my voting life and that's been since 1962, I will be voting FOR a candidate instead of against one. Sen Obama has my enthusiastic support and if need be I will turn off the TV so as not to get burned out.
    Thanks for asking.

June 20, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  140. Margaret Owens

I am one of the millions who distilled political data through the Tim Russert filter. Now that I have to do it myself, I am practicing by eating salt everytime I hear an attack from one side or the other. You know, like the old saying to "take everything with a grain of salt."

Mobile, AL

June 20, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  141. L.A. Boston

Jack:

L.A. Boston, MA

June 20, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  142. Lorelei

As we sail the political seas, my boat will have a safety kit that contains two life jackets named Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, a box of Hope Heals All Wounds bandaids, a radio tuned to Air America for navigational assistance, and some flares because nothing says "patriotism" like fireworks.

June 20, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  143. john marlton, nj

I am actually looking forward to it getting ugly, very ugly.

June 20, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  144. Darren S.

If Sen. Obama wins, maybe I'll got to Disneyland. If Sen. McCain wins, maybe I'll move to Canada and say a prayer for my old home and the Middle East.

June 20, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  145. RC, Miami, Fl

John McCain should nominate Hillary Clinton as his running mate and pull off the political coup of the century. And for once have a bipartisan candidate that could actually be effective over the next 4 years. You guys would go nuts, it would be fun to watch everyone worldwide completely losing it.

Then I woke up.

June 20, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  146. Marvin

Think and Vote for anyone not named George John McCain Bush!!!!
    Man, please just bring all of our Son's, Daughters, Mothers, Father's and Friend HOME!!!! January 21st 2009 Liberation of the United State of America.........The Reign of ERROR; the end is here. "If we vote our Conscience and not by Color"

Connecticut

June 20, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  147. Jack Graham

Wow Jack ! I'm flattered. I mean I am a working class fella from Iowa and nobody wanted to hear from me before the Iowa Caucus or since then for that matter. How will I survive a summer full of political posturing, ranting rhetoric and finger pointing? Easy, I'll change the channel. After all, there is more to life than cable news channels.

Jack
    Des Moines, IA

June 20, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  148. Michael Shea

Like the late Tim Russert who I consider the brother I wish I could of had, I am a hopeless Irish Catholic steeped in politcal action since John F. Kennedy.

I have always had a love/hate relationship with politics. I was a political director for the union movement for 22 years in three states(Arizona-New Mexico-Colorado).

My wife have been Pro-Obama for presidnet since he was the keynote speaker at the 2004 convention. He has the spark for greatness.

Fortunately for the voter, although this has been tho longest presidential campaign, it has been the most exciting since 1968.

I am just happy the primaries are over and we have Hillary Clinton and Arkansas Bill out of the limelight. Thank God their day is done. They should switch parties. I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep.

I believe in the future we should have FOUR REGIONAL PRIMARIES, a month between each other and mandated public campaign financing to keep the candidates out of the corporate trough.

GO OBAMA !!!!!!!!

June 20, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  149. lou

by voting for McCain. No question whatsoever about whether or not he is a Patriot. Also comes up with concrete ideas, instead of unclear 'hope' and 'change' rhetoric.

June 20, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  150. Jeffrey in East Longmeadow, MA

By gleefully anticipating Obama's defeat of McCain and hopefully the end, for at least 8 years, of empire-building and warmongering in the name of "freedom".

June 20, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  151. Bob, Frankfort, Kentucky

By remembering what it says in the Bible, "It came to pass."

June 20, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  152. Derek New Jersey

Easy Jack, just by supporting Obama and watching you!

have a nice weekend Jack.

June 20, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  153. JK Ashburn, VA

Fortunately, my job requires lots of international travel. A welcome respite from the stupidity of the news media.

June 20, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  154. FunkBassMan

By drinking heavily.

June 20, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  155. Harold from Anchorage, AK

That'san easy one Jack: just quit watching the Situation Room!

June 20, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  156. Sue, Bellingham Wa

Hey, there is no "surviving" this - I love the whole thing. First time in my life I have cared about an election this much. Thanks to Barack and MIchelle. Love them both, hope we have 8 full years of them in the white house.
    What a classy couple they are!

June 20, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  157. Uncle Whitey of Kentucky

I will turn off CNN.

June 20, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  158. taylor richmond virginia

I'm trying..................working out, eating healthy, getting 8 hours of sleep when possible, doing everything I can to make it through.

June 20, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  159. Rick,, Maryville,TN

Tune out and turn off all Political ads, and do as the majority of Americans do, neither is worth my vote and move on

June 20, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  160. Scott - Wichita, Kansas

One word, Jack.

Hibernation.

June 20, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  161. Donnie

Walk in to the voting booth, make my selection, say a quiet prayer for my county, and walk out the door and enjoy the freedom I am blessed to have because it is the American People who make this county what it is, not our elected representatives.

June 20, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  162. Ryan, Washignton, DC

If I could I would have already ran for president. Oh wait, I am not 35 yet.

June 20, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  163. Keith from Irving Texas

Nothing with longterm good comes without pain and sacrifice, Jack. I'll survive. I'm looking forward to November.

June 20, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  164. Danielle

Easy, I just ignore it. Won't change anything anyway. I got old and wise and do not believe anything they say.

June 20, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  165. Kenneth

this system is to long

June 20, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  166. Lissa from Montreal

It'll be tough with Tim Russert absent from the journalistic perspective.

But sticking to CNN and CNN.com, how can I NOT survive it?

June 20, 2008 at 4:35 pm |
  167. Gary

jack,

It just provides some comic relief from the misery of daily life.

June 20, 2008 at 4:35 pm |
  168. Angela from Philadelphia, PA

Jack- I will get through it ONLY if obama chooses Clinton as VP and he pays offer her entire campaign debt. And hopefully with some more time , the Obama staff and supporters will " come off of their high horse" a little bit and treat us Hillary supporters with a minimal level of respect – perhaps he could even make a small effort to earn our vote!

If not, then I guess it will be McBush.

June 20, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  169. E.J. in Toronto

I will survive by wishing I was an American. Politics are so boring in Canada. At least we have universal health care. Wait a minute, after this election you might too!

June 20, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  170. totally neutral

try to get enough signatures for Javier Bardem to be on the ballot.

June 20, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  171. Sophia

I just keep reminding myself that when it is all over the Bush nightmare will end.

Sophia
    Louisville, Ky

June 20, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  172. Geri Britt

I'll survive by watching the best political team on television – CNN -with some Lou Dobbs thrown in for good measure during the week and Last Edition and Zakaria on Sunday not to mention all of CNN's special reports, like Black America in July.

Geri – Mead, OK

June 20, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  173. NANCY , Grand Ledge MI

I'll be lucky if I do survive! Sometimes, I get so angry that I have to just turn it off!! Thank God for the off button on my TV! And then I enjoy some solitaire on my computer, read a non-political book, or do some gardening!

June 20, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  174. Shawn, Okie from Muskogee

It's not a matter of surviving the G.E. but After it. If we have a young Senator for Pres. I will be praying that we all still have our Liberties and the Constitution remains intact. If we have McCain, I will know that we made it through alright and will breath a Deep sigh of relief.

June 20, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  175. Seyi From Auburn, Alabama

Hey Jack,
    This election season, I'm keeping one eye glued to the TV (CNN) and the other on the Internet (CNN.com), watching as the next mishap or the slip-up by either candidate gets gobbled up then regurgitated by the beast known as the Media.

June 20, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  176. Jennifer

Copious amounts of alcohol and chocolate. :o)

June 20, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  177. Mike McG

1. Avoid Glenn Beck.
    2. Avoid Glenn Beck.
    3. Avoid Glenn Beck.
    4. Watch "Saving Grace," "The Closer," "Dexter" and "In Plain Sight."
    5. Watch any and all Lawl & Order reruns.
    6. Avoid Glenn Beck.
    7. Set iCal to alert me when election day arrives.

June 20, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  178. Ellen

Well for myself I plan on learning to speak Chinese, after all by the time Bush is done with us China will own us and I'll be ready to apply for a new job. Wish me luck!

June 20, 2008 at 4:38 pm |
  179. Neil DeBlock -N.Haledon,NJ

By ignoring the whole process and voting on election day

June 20, 2008 at 4:38 pm |
  180. robert ga

JACK, I don't know, May be I will read the bible a bit more and take my kids out for some fresh air

Go bless America.
    Robert ga

June 20, 2008 at 4:38 pm |
  181. Marty, Idaho

By reading and blogging the Cafferty file and watching CNN to stay current on all the senseless drama that I'm addicted to.

June 20, 2008 at 4:39 pm |
  182. Neal from Lithonia, Georgia

Jack,

I'll survive by not tuning into television as much. I must admit I do get a little of tired of turning on the tv seeing the same two faces on every network. However, as long as CNN has you my friend I'll be right here!

June 20, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  183. Fran Cassanto

Jack:

I plan to volunteer for Barack Obama. We really need him.

June 20, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  184. Mitchell in NJ

I'm surrounding my house with sandbags.

June 20, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  185. Marcus Mathis

Jack, I only want this thing to end while our country still like eachother a little bit. This has been one of the most divsive races in recent history and I don't think we recover anytime soon.

Marcus
    Westland, MI

June 20, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  186. Aaron Buttery

Volunteer for McCain.

June 20, 2008 at 4:41 pm |
  187. kimber grace in the great state of Texas

I don't know what I'm going to do. With Tim Russert gone, I'll probably think alot about "what might've been" if he'd been around. It's just not going to be the same.

June 20, 2008 at 4:41 pm |
  188. bob in LA

The problem isn't the race, it's 24 hour coverage that magnifies every slight.
    If you as press, would just report important facts, stop asking lame questions and stop playing GOTCHA! – we will survive!

June 20, 2008 at 4:41 pm |
  189. E. Joel Wesp

If Ohio is the must have State the pundits claim it to be, then my homme town of Columbus must be the epicenter of the carpet bombing of political ads destined to come. My survival plan is simple – I plan to re-read and try to take solace in David McCollough's epic biography of the last of the presidents truly elected by "the people" Harry S. Truman. If Mccain or Obama decide to actually talk to Ohioans from the back balcony of a whistle stop train, I'll go see them. Otherwise, "Give 'em Hell Harry!"

June 20, 2008 at 4:41 pm |
  190. Silvado

Catch on to CNN whenever I can, because to tell you the truth- this is sure one exciting election, you get thrown a curve ball when you least expect.U're doing great on your Cafferty FIles, Jack.

June 20, 2008 at 4:41 pm |
  191. Dave from Ontario

We're weaving a tapestry of Bill and Hillary Clinton and plan to hang it on the wall behind our TV. Whenever we get frustrated or angry with the campaign, we'll just remind ourselves what it could have been worse.

Oh.. and gin.

June 20, 2008 at 4:42 pm |
  192. Sheila Chatman

This presidential race is so interesting to me because of the energy Barack Obama has brought to the political process. Because of this new energy and the promise of change, it won't be hard for me to survive the campaign. The country is in such turmoil on all fronts - the wars, recession, health care, education - that we need fresh, new leadership and Barack Obama offers that new leadership. Our country has responded to his candidacy in ways I could not have imagined. So, I'm planning to sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

June 20, 2008 at 4:43 pm |
  193. Derick, Greenlawn NY

Jack! I'll survive by practicing my voting skills. I'm voting on everything- baseball All Stars, American Idol, new flavor of Kool Aid- that comes my way between now and November. So do me a favor: put together a weekly "best moments of the primary season" single elimination tournament that I can vote on, leading up to the American President Idol competition on November 4th. And see if you can get Soledad O'Brien to narrate it, that'd be great.

June 20, 2008 at 4:43 pm |
  194. Kim Meseck

I plan to take a break from it all over the summer, go to the beach, read some trashy novels, and stay on the periphery of all the election news hub-bub. My interest, and attention, will peak again after the primaries.

June 20, 2008 at 4:43 pm |
  195. Nancy, Texas

I'll survive with Maker's Mark and Budweiser

June 20, 2008 at 4:43 pm |
  196. rudy, Toronto

Not with you around. In fact I have stopped reading your literary excursions.

June 20, 2008 at 4:44 pm |
  197. Chuckling...

No not Mickey Mouse, but perhaps Lou Dobbs would be a better choice *chuckle*

June 20, 2008 at 4:44 pm |
  198. Judy in Astoria

I agree with Paschal. The democratic primary was the exciting part. Now it's boring................ We know the candidates, the issues and who to vote for.

I will not start watching election coverage again until November.

June 20, 2008 at 4:46 pm |
  199. Marlie:

I plan on surviving by tuning into your blog only Jack. I watched the American people nominate the most brilliant candidate (that would be Obama) that the world has seen in a long time. I cannot watch them destroy him and his family for the next five months. Sharon from Canada

June 20, 2008 at 4:47 pm |
  200. Randy

I will be spending my time trying to convince government to start the 'None of the above' campaign in future presidential elections.

No resonable choice for president sucks.

"change this'

June 20, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  201. vinny in denver

election? whos running?

June 20, 2008 at 4:49 pm |
  202. norb

Hell, by that time I'll be out of gas and broke.

June 20, 2008 at 4:49 pm |
  203. Evie

Dear Jack,
    The best way to survive this election is to remain calm because not only do I want to survive this thing, but I want to survive and stay sane. So I'm investing in a therapist, a few days at the spa, netflix, and starting a carpool. What about you? What's your survial plan?

June 20, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  204. Caroline Tampa, FL

Because Obama has displayed good sense and a superb intelligence, I can EXHALE and relax that he will do the right thing. He has surrounded himself with likeminded people, such as David Axelrod and Caroline Kennedy, who have made good decisions so far. It's like having a good doctor or hair dresser that you can trust – you know they will do a good job for you.
    As for McCAin and the 527 groups, I shall use the MUTE button. But that won't get rid of his slimey smile and yellow teeth. Can't his wife take the six million she earned this year and get him some dental work??

June 20, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  205. Mike

By voting 3rd party, of course. Democracy is no more than a failed experiment until we have more than 2 candidates. Maybe if there were 3-5 people to legitimately choose from, the voting process wouldn't be so horribly polarizing. Democracy...driving people apart since 1789.

June 20, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  206. Ronald Sprague

I'll survive by exercising my choice to view or not to view. We are fortunate this country still has freedom of the press and 24/7 coverage I view as a positive.

June 20, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  207. Sean

With the primaries over I will now amuse myself by watching these two candidates flip flop on issues in an attempt to gain the independent vote.

June 20, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  208. Monica Bell

I'm not VOTING! I don't even watch the news anymore. The Media promoted Obama, so take him and run with him – as far away from this country as possible. When Oprah and the Press push our candidates on us we are in SAD shape. I am now an Independent. How about a write in spot for the over "50" women like me who can still write in Hillary's name?

June 20, 2008 at 4:51 pm |
  209. Judith Shade

Watch the Jon Stewart Show and the Colbert Report – it's politics, but at least it will make me laugh rather than make me nauseous.

Judi Shade
    Hilton Head Island SC

June 20, 2008 at 4:51 pm |
  210. Leticia Orange Park,Fl.

With a bottle of good wine!!

June 20, 2008 at 4:51 pm |
  211. Steve kleppin new jersey

What nothing but premium cable channel so my tv screen isn't covered with mud.

June 20, 2008 at 4:52 pm |
  212. Ed in California

I may be 57 years old but the Hanna Montana show is already starting to look good.

June 20, 2008 at 4:52 pm |
  213. Dave in Redding

My daughter's getting married this summer, so I'm not thinking about anything else. Maybe take the dog for a walk, go sailboating, a hike in the mountains, good times to think.

June 20, 2008 at 4:53 pm |
  214. RR in Princeton NJ

Watch as little TV as possible & hit the mute button when a commercial comes on. This entire election process has become nothing short of disgusting. There has got to be a better way to accomplish this next time.

June 20, 2008 at 4:53 pm |
  215. Aaron from Denver

Nicely. Knowing that I will be voting for either Libertarian Bob Barr or writing-in Ron Paul, I am positive I will not have a hand in the further deterioration of this republic. Also...I plan on turning off the Obama-fest that is CNN.

June 20, 2008 at 4:53 pm |
  216. William

I'll have a margarita before looking at the news.

June 20, 2008 at 4:53 pm |
  217. Maureen, Chappaqua, NY

By working as hard as I can as a volunteer to elect Barack Obama. Then I will survive, not merely the campaign, but the next eight years.

June 20, 2008 at 4:53 pm |
  218. Dan from Omaha

I've survived 7.5 years of Bush/Cheney. I can survive anything.

June 20, 2008 at 4:54 pm |
  219. Tim in Vero Beach Florida

Hello Jack,

Survive the election?
    After surviving two terms of the Bush administration (and may I remind ou that many people didn't survive it) this is a piece of cake. This is the easy part and the hard part is almost over thank god.

June 20, 2008 at 4:54 pm |
  220. Janet, America via Toronto

As long as you, Jack, are on CNN, theres no time to waste!
    Please, do not take any more time off!

Also, keep my liquids close by!!!!!!

June 20, 2008 at 4:55 pm |
  221. Jenny from Nanuet, New York

I get so much pleasure out of seeing Obama hitting back against McCain and the other Republicans, I won't only survive the campaign, I'll thrive in it.

June 20, 2008 at 4:56 pm |
  222. Jet

Of course we will survive, this is historical in nature, you have two people who have made history and people are really excited about how hard they fought to the end, We are talking about the democrats, Hillary and Barack. If they fought this hard against each other, imagine what a powerhouse they will be when they soon join forces, they will be unstoppable, John McCain will not have a chance, no matter which way you look at, it ain't gonna happen.

June 20, 2008 at 4:56 pm |
  223. dennis north carolina

The voters must pay attention to this election because the road that our country travels in the future is for survival of our country and the world.

June 20, 2008 at 4:56 pm |
  224. Mike in St. Pete Beach, Florida

With a little help from the Twenty First Amendment.

June 20, 2008 at 4:57 pm |
  225. Paula

I was planning on having Tim Russert help me get through the race. What a loss for all of us. But given the many important issues at stake, I am taking a front row seat and plan not to miss a thing. I will be cheering or cussing along with other Americans as we watch the games unfold.

June 20, 2008 at 5:02 pm |
  226. Chicago Bob from Illinois

It's easy. I know who I am voting for and so the campaign will just be a lot of extraneous noise directed at undecideds. I will listen to music.

June 20, 2008 at 5:03 pm |
  227. Andrew

I'm simply counting down the days until Bush is out of the White House. By keeping my focus on that shining light on the horizon I will be able to ignore the silliness of the election season. I know who I'm voting for, so I need hear no more from the candidates. Plus, thanks to my DVR, I can speed through the campaign stuff and get back to the things I actually want to watch.

Then, too, with Tim Russert out of the picture there's no commentary worthy of attention, the exception being Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert and their satire.

June 20, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  228. Clarence Mckinney

After nearly eight years of George W. Bush this nation can handle anything. The problem will be trying to undo some of his damage in the coming years.

June 20, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  229. Dave D - Bensalem PA

Survive? People have fought, died, and dedicated their lives to making sure this process can happen. I will respect it, participate in it, and all the while quietly thank those who made it possible. When I cast my vote, I will do so with pride and confidence.

June 20, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  230. Carol, Coulterville, CA

I'm looking forward to it. When I have enough, I'll watch something else. But I'll always have to check in everyday to see what the big flap of the day is.

June 20, 2008 at 5:05 pm |
  231. Peter E, Boulder, CO

By imagining that neither of the two current corrupt, lying, hypocritic flip-floppers are running for president...

June 20, 2008 at 5:05 pm |
  232. R. charania

Survive the elections? What elections? I shall be waiting patientlly for 2012 when Hillary Clinton comes back as a candidate.

June 20, 2008 at 5:05 pm |
  233. angie wooten

By not voting, I have heard all their speeches and they are the same all over again...So Jack i think i just sit this one out.

June 20, 2008 at 5:05 pm |
  234. Josh, AR

I'm gonna keep trying to convince myself that my opinion is important in this process. If that fails, I'll continue to frequent cnn.com/caffertyfile where I can find my insignificant comments posted on your blog among HUNDREDS of others.

June 20, 2008 at 5:06 pm |
  235. Carolyn in Memphis Tennessee

My grandaughter just graduated from high school at 18. After much cajoling and perhaps a littel bullying I got her to register to vote. One day while sitting in the den ; curling her hair, polishing her toe nails and endlessly texting messaging a friend about her hair and toe nails. "Over the the years she's pooh poohed my endless political talk", but much to my suprise she repeated some of the things she heard you and Wolfe talking about. She said she thought you two old guys were cool. God Bless America!

June 20, 2008 at 5:06 pm |
  236. Ed from Minnesota

I have to laugh about what Greg ...Cabot AR said about a larger recyceling box. Thankfully mine is on wheels.

The only thing that will bring my interest in again right now (not for the Presidental race) is if Jesse Ventura runs for Senate in MN, that will really perk me up. As for the Presidental race it's easy for me to survive because this race has been going on so long I have sort of tuned it out. I followed the primaries closley at the beginning but after the 95th debate couldn't take it anymore. Since I have my mind made up on who I'll vote for I can get on with the other important things in life like figuring out how to save money for gas.

June 20, 2008 at 5:06 pm |
  237. dan

i plan on takeing a long vacation in the car.. no wait i cant do that. i think i will stay home oh wait if some fat cat does not come along and by my house for his 50th rental property.

on second thought i will just get my pencil sharp for the write in candidate.

June 20, 2008 at 5:06 pm |
  238. Ryan

Reminisce on the good ol' days of Hillary Clinton.

June 20, 2008 at 5:07 pm |
  239. Laura in Portland

Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, crossed fingers, Faith in my fellow Americans, commen sense and redirecting my attention to the CURRENT administrations tumbling house of cards. Maybe the big news that will deflect from the campaign will be the {deserved, should have been done years ago} president's impeachment.

June 20, 2008 at 5:07 pm |
  240. Janice, Illinois

I will study other English-speaking -only nations’ immigration policies and begin to apply for entry as wll as learn how to conduct myself appropriately based on THEIR laws inasmuch as the USA has become a lawless nation.

June 20, 2008 at 5:07 pm |
  241. Marilyn Griggs, Houston, Tx

I can survive the compain if the media will just stick to the facts. I don't want their opinion. Stop making something out of nothing and let the canidates speak for themselves. Obama will get the job, because he is the best canidate for the job.

June 20, 2008 at 5:07 pm |
  242. Brandon Baker

Oh my, well, the way I see it is that I've gone through six months of primaries without getting overloaded, so we're already a good way through the election cycle. I plan on making sure that I don't get too caught up in any of the spun media propaganda, and that I limit the amount of time I spending reading up on the scandals and extend the time I spend actually reading what the candidates beliefs and policies are/will be.

June 20, 2008 at 5:08 pm |
  243. Todd B. in Allendale, MI

I plan on surviving the campaign season by watching McCain's awkward speech from the night that Obama clinched the nomination. That causes enough laughter to last me until Obama gets in the White House.

June 20, 2008 at 5:08 pm |
  244. Josh (Waipahu, Hawaii)

I plan on surviving by focusing on the issues and ignoring the 527s.

June 20, 2008 at 5:08 pm |
  245. Christopher in New Orleans

By punching myself repeatedly in the face so I don’t have to hear another word from or about either of these two disingenuous humps.

June 20, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  246. Raheim W...Portsmouth, VA

It's quite simple, Mr. Cafferty. Stay abreast of the issues and don't just take their word for it. As a young Independent already I've learned that we need a positive mindset to bring change to the center of our country's dysfunctional agenda, the White House that is...

June 20, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  247. Lynn, Jamul (Republican)

I already know I won't vote Republican so I'll probably become the fastest remote in the West – hope I don't get carpel tunnel.

June 20, 2008 at 5:11 pm |
  248. Jeff Green

How will I cope with the Presidential campaign? I am worried deeply about it. I actually like some what Obama represents and and I like some of what McCain represents. And that's what worries me. I will probably have to stay tuned to all of the shameless campaign rhetoric all summer and early fall to make the important decision. I am worried because that will make me ill.

Jeff – Hanover, PA

June 20, 2008 at 5:11 pm |
  249. R. charania

I have to survive this election as i will be waiting patientely for Hillary Clinton to come back in 2012

June 20, 2008 at 5:11 pm |
  250. Chris in North Carolina

By doing what I can to support Barack Obama.

June 20, 2008 at 5:12 pm |
  251. Katie

Jack

I am still for Hillary. If she is on the November ballot here in Ohio I am voting for her-if not I am writing her in.

Then I will take my blood pressure pills and pray this election-that is so dishonest- doesn't cause me to blow my stack and have a coronary. I am so angry at the Democratic party, some of the media and our country because our system is so obviously flawed.

Katie
    Ohio

June 20, 2008 at 5:12 pm |
  252. James S. Lenon - TN

I'll survive by remembering that neither candidate cares about me, only my vote, that I can and should ignore all campaign commercials for the blatant lies that they are, and by thinking of the countless political pundits, pawns, pimps, propagandists, and hangers on who will soon be out of a job in a rapidly failing economy that they helped create during the Bush II admin.

June 20, 2008 at 5:12 pm |
  253. Donna Dawkins

It means just what is indicated. Barack Obama will be the next President of the United States. Barack will continue to lead and will increase his lead as time goes on.

June 20, 2008 at 5:12 pm |
  254. Raheim W...Portsmouth, VA

Oh, I love the Cafferty File segment. No offense Wolf...

June 20, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  255. John Lockwood

Way to ask a question making something sound harder than it is. Just eat three squares a day, get plenty of rest, drink water based beverages, stay at a comfortable temperature, and otherwise do what I'd be trying to do to survive until November if there weren't a Presidential campaign going on.

We elected a Democratic congress in 2006. What changed? Nothing. Impeachment is "off the table" (if you can even get someone in the media to write about it at all). The mandate for ending the war turned into two years of nothing happening.

Nothing special's going to happen when the new President's elected, either. More to the point than how one will survive is why should one pay attention?

June 20, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  256. Mazi Oga from Sacramento

My approach to civilize the presidential campaign are:
    A) Auto switch to sports channels now that Tim is no longer with us.
    B) Prerecord all my favorite prime time TV shows and bypass the commercials.
    C) Completely avoid CNN. I do not any person to analyze for me what , who said

June 20, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  257. Ike

Jack,

Just stay away from the excessive blogging, we all will do just fine.

Ike
    Harrisburg, PA

June 20, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  258. Pat, Tampa, Florida

By supporting Ron Paul or a third party candidate.

June 20, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  259. James Person Jr.

I will push the snooze button, relax until August, have a drink, and thank the Lord that George Bush will soon be history. Hooray!

June 20, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  260. Robert Bauer, Sonoma County, CA

My advice for this is no different than my advice for any of life's adversities: Start drinking heavily.

June 20, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  261. mr.singh

I just can't get enough! I have my DVR to record any political special CNN has, Lou Dobbs, Wolf/Cafferty File, Larry King and Anderson Cooper! I would also like to see CNN have a debate program where passionate great minds and not-great-at-all minds defend their positions! I like to see how stupid people think, too! I need a chuckle once in a while!

June 20, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  262. Roberto

I will be laughing all the way to the polls. And I will be happy to wipe away all the salty tears from the DEMS when McCain slides into the Oval Office. 🙂 Its almost like taking candy from a baby.

June 20, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  263. vence Wilmington CA

come on Jack!

I'm used to hard times after 7 years of misery under Bush administration and Republican Congress.
    A few months won't affect my attitude anymore.

June 20, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  264. Chris

Vacation to Iran!

June 20, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  265. Ron Powell, New Haven, Ct

Jack, I plan to survive the presidential campaign by keeping an eye on, and critiquing, you, Donna Brazile, and the rest of the best political news and analysis team on television.

June 20, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  266. Norris Wright

Jack, I think this year's campaign is one for the ages. On one side of the aisle you have grandpa, who is a step away from being place sunny acres. Then on the other side you have the young prince who has promise. This the best election since Kennedy & Nixon. But this its going to be a landslide for Obama. Only in America!

June 20, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  267. Joe from Palm Beach Gardens

It means one thing in this November, the greatest landslide for Obama since Ronald Reagan defeated Jimmy Carter. John McCain will be toast.

June 20, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  268. Sharon in Illinois

By having all the e-mail asking for donations automatically file in the SPAM folder, deleting the SPAM folder without reading any e-mail in it, and tossing all the snail mail that isn't a bill in the waste basket near our mailboxes.

June 20, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  269. Dave- Denver

My only concern is dying of old age before it gets here (and I'm 33).

June 20, 2008 at 5:20 pm |
  270. Joanna- San Diego, CA

I think this is amazing! I'm glad the primaries are over because now I don't have to listen to everyone whine about how the primaries aren't over. This is such an amazing process that we not only get to witness, but be a part of and I feel like not enough people have enough respect for that. It'll be over in a few months, but for now get over it and think about how this is a truly wonderful process!

June 20, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  271. Gary Watts

I plan to spread the idea that electronic voting can mean no "decider". We can all be the president's voice through electronic voting and the media.

June 20, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  272. Patrick A. Gordon

Jack,
    There is no way in which you can take seriously what the polls say today. With the way everyone looked at Florida after the first Bush fixed election, you'd think they would have come out in force on Bush's second election, but they didn't, or that's what the Conservatives would like us to believe.
    John McCain is running on his record as a POW, Obama is just running his mouth. I see no way Obama wins big in Florida as long as the Conservatives run the State, Guaranteed !

June 20, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  273. Roy

By reading and watching the news for 8-10 hours a day. This is one of the most beautiful things ever to happen in the history of the world. Millions and millions of ordinary and extraordinary citizens actively participating in their countries government, peacefully.

June 20, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  274. Susan from Scotts Valley

You're right! I'm addicted. I don't know if I'll be tired of it by November but I do know, I've never had so much fun, gotten so upset, or been more informed before because I never wanted change so much as I do now.

Susan

June 20, 2008 at 5:22 pm |
  275. Clyde Luther

Jack,

As far as these 60 year old eyes can see, the race was over before it began and once again, "We The People" lost before it began.

June 20, 2008 at 5:23 pm |
  276. Carol

Hi Jack! Not sure how I will survive this election. Two weeks ago I lost my best friend of 42 years because her racist remarks about Michelle and Barack. I will no longer tolerate ignorance. And if McCain wins I will not be a proud American. The country is a mess and thousands are dead because of BUSH. I am 52, white, hardworking, and educated!

June 20, 2008 at 5:23 pm |
  277. Debie Queen Creek Arizona

Jack, I've been a nervous wreck for a year, election day I may just hide.
    Every time McCain opens his mouth I get sick. He's just mad at Obama now because he was hoping for a financial ride through this campaign. Flying together...speaking together...split half the costs...forget about it. When I can call Senator Obama "Mr. President" then my life will get back to normal!

June 20, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  278. Kevin in Boston

I have my one way tickets to Sweden reserved. I just know the stupid America people will screw themselves and vote in McCain. Ahhhhhhh socialized medicine here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 20, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  279. Sandie

Pay no attention until October. We could solve lots of problems by saying there are only 6 weeks to campaign and you have this much money. People might actually tune in then. This three year election cycle and millions wasted is a travesty and they should all be ashamed.

June 20, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  280. James Person Jr. Houston, Texas

I will go on vacation, and enjoy my summer. Push the snooze button, and take a break from the fric frac of the campaign. I'll come out of hibernation in August, and Thank God that George Bush will soon be history. Hooray!

June 20, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  281. kelvin

by watching a lot of law and order. and whatever else is on

June 20, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  282. Michelle

it simple...both Obama and McCain are full of it. I plan on writing in Hillary's name on the ballot here in Florida come November

June 20, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  283. Emmanuel Ochi, New York

Thank goodness this is a sports loving nation. I have a lot of games and sporting activities to keep me busy.

June 20, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  284. Carl JR, San Diego, CA

I'll survive this election by watching the Colbert Report: the number one source for all things politicool.

June 20, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  285. Kathy/ GA

Meditate on 1/20/08 and seeing Obama with his hand on the BIBLE.

June 20, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  286. Zac, Atlanta

I just hope we stick to the issues. None of this "he said, she said" playground gossip.

June 20, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  287. Gigi in Alabama

What do you mean by "sick of politics by November"? I am already sick of the entire mess. Nowhere on the ballot will there be, None of the above. If I stay at home, I can't complain and if I vote I may be sick for 4 more years.

June 20, 2008 at 5:43 pm |
  288. Will/Indiana

A Barack Obama t-shirt and a fist-full of Cindy McCain's cookie recipes.

June 20, 2008 at 5:45 pm |
  289. rocky from chicopee

By reveling in the fact that in this great country of ours, an afriacn american, born into unfavorable circumstances, can raise himself up to the point where he can spend 300 million to buy the american presidency.

What a country!!!!!!!!!!!

June 20, 2008 at 5:45 pm |
  290. Codo from Chicago

Okay, that’s a question for the news media to answer. What will happen to the news network economy after the election?

Here in Chiago, we have elections every six months or so. If not every month.

June 20, 2008 at 5:46 pm |
  291. Mcshame

i am going to watch how the republicans screw America people again and not count half of the votes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 20, 2008 at 5:46 pm |
  292. MW, California

I don't watch TV so I don't have to deal with them in my living room all the time!

June 20, 2008 at 5:47 pm |
  293. Tom Libby, Boston

Jack will get me thru. Don't let him take any days off.
    I would love to see Jack and that toothey main guy on Cnn who only knows about Mexican immigrants go toe to toe!

June 20, 2008 at 5:48 pm |
  294. Jeff Gonzales

I agree with you, the reason Democrat controlled Washington D.C. has become the dysfunctional cesspool it has is because we have allowed it to. Maybe this election we stand a chance of getting it right. Thank you Obama for giving the American people a birds eye view of what Democrats feel is the best choice to lead this country.

June 20, 2008 at 5:48 pm |
  295. Timothy from Brea, Ca

Jack, I will survive by playing hours and hours of XBOX 360 until I hear that the next president of 2009 will be.......

Barack Obama

June 20, 2008 at 5:48 pm |
  296. Rob

Just watch "The Daily Show with John Stewart" and "The Colbert Report" on Comedy Central, they actually make sense of this mess!

June 20, 2008 at 5:48 pm |
  297. Maggy Jones

Jack,

I am not worried about surviving the race. With the high costs of food and gas, along with everything else, I am worried about "surviving".

June 20, 2008 at 5:48 pm |
  298. Eugene in California

Jack, we're going, to suffer the campaign season, by hitting the "Mute" button a hell of allot more between now and November.

June 20, 2008 at 5:49 pm |
  299. Eric

I can't believe that we–as taxpayers–pay the salary of Obama, Clinton, and McCain when they don't show up to work. If only I could find a job that would continue to pay me while I campaign around the country for two years lobbying for my dream job. Go to work, people!

June 20, 2008 at 5:49 pm |
  300. Judi

Ignore the whole thing until 3 weeks before the election. Then listen carefully and try to make an intelligent decision. How can most other civilized countries keep the election pocess down to 3 weeks but we need 3 years...and look what it gets us!

June 20, 2008 at 5:49 pm |
  301. Howard

I'm not worried about surviving the campaign season ... on the contrary, this has been the most interesting of all political times. These elections are extremely important and engrossing. The results will have a dramatic effect on our country and our future. It's not a process which should be rushed. I see this arguement simply as a political ploy to rush voters into voting for Obama.

June 20, 2008 at 5:49 pm |
  302. Gary in Denver

When all else fails:

1. Forget your troubles
    2. Come on
    3. Get happy

June 20, 2008 at 5:51 pm |
  303. Michael

I'll spend my time trying to find a "Reporter" or so called "Newsman" who hasn't already told us who he or she is voting for!!!! God bless Tim! The country's going to miss him.

June 20, 2008 at 5:53 pm |
  304. Amogh

Placing my bet on which state will be "Florida" this time !!!

June 20, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  305. Frannie

After living through 7 1/2 years of George Bush, we can live through anything!

June 20, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  306. Mark, Lyman, Maine

I'm hopelessly addicted...but I wish I could buy a device I could attach to my TV that would recognize McCain's face or, better yet, his voice and automatically change the channel to just about anything else...pass the antiemetics please...

June 20, 2008 at 5:55 pm |
  307. John Verco

It will be hard without Tim Russert.

June 20, 2008 at 5:55 pm |
  308. Christine

I feel like the interest will stay strong! This is a much more exciting race compaired to the 1990 race, don't you think! So yes, I will be keeping up with it every day!

Christine from Beavercreek, Ohio

June 20, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  309. Kenny from Ohio

Grab a bottle, hunker down, and pray for daylight!

June 20, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  310. Ken in NC

I will survive this process because it has become the top rated comedy show on TV.

June 20, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  311. Norman Walters, Elizabethtown, KY

By only updating myself on a weekly, not hourly, basis as so many others do. Otherwise you can go into overload.

June 20, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  312. Jim & Margie Crossley

How can you get tired of it when we have the opportunity to get rid of the Republican control of our country and actually get some quality leadership in the Whitehouse and Congress. Time to send all of the "R" packing.

June 20, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  313. James B. New Berlin, Wisconsin

How to survive the presidential campaign? If we survived the last eight years ( worst president in my life time) this campaign will be a piece of cake. It can't get any worse, can it?

June 20, 2008 at 5:58 pm |
  314. walter collins

making every effort to listen and understand why each voter is leaning toward or decided to vote for someone other than Obama. And then asking are they interested in listening / understanding why I will vote for Obama.

June 20, 2008 at 6:00 pm |
  315. Larry Batson Powderly, Texas

Jack, I intend to cope with the long campaign by subscribing to ESPN gameplan and watching only one news program a week – Washington Week in Review!

June 20, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  316. Gunter, Cologne, Germany

Even though I am German, my American wife and I are hooked on the campaign trail and CNN's coverage. We already consider Wolf Blitzer part of our family. We never go to bed without listening to Jack's grumpy comments, and the phrase "the best political team on television" doesn't sound so silly anymore. We even renamed our living room "the Sitiuation Room". The real question is, what would we do without the campaign through November? Our only complaint is that the show is on too late in Europe. Could you move it up for us, so we can get to bed by midnight again?!

June 20, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  317. Keith - Twinsburg, OH

We will continue to have political debates with our daughter, Susan in Virginia Beach. She's a staunch Republican, and by the way, hates you and your sarcastic attitude.... Funny; that's exactly why my wife & I watch you every day...

Keep up the good work... You're fueling our fires...

June 20, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  318. Carolyn Wright

I intend to survive it by putting all the talking heads from Cnn. MSNBC, and especially Fox on mute. I will listen to you and to Jon Stewart since aside from the late Tim Russert you are the only ones who make sense and do not make up stories to fill air time.

June 20, 2008 at 6:25 pm |
  319. Jeff in Milpitas, CA

I plan to stop watching CNN and anything remotely associated with it.

June 20, 2008 at 6:25 pm |
  320. Valerie L. - Florida

Watch Situation Room with you Jack, Keith Olberman, John Stewart & Colbert. Gotta keep a balance between the serious jounalism and the insanity. Then Pray hard for a real change in Washington.
    If all else fails I will pack up and move Far far away

June 20, 2008 at 6:26 pm |
  321. Denise

Jack,

I like to be entertained, so I will survive this presidential campaign. I just hope we don't have to do a re-count in Florida.

Denise
    Orlando, Florida

June 20, 2008 at 6:26 pm |
  322. EDW

Heavy doses of Olberman and Jon Stewart. Blogging and emailing for Obama. Telling my friends to register to vote no matter who they pick (better be Obama)

June 20, 2008 at 6:26 pm |
  323. Gayle Jacksonville, Illinois

I will just keep listening the the hit song by Thelma Houston, " I Will Survive".

June 20, 2008 at 6:27 pm |
  324. Bob

Jack,

As Canadians, my wife and I plan to sit back and enjoy the race. We do so with the hope that America will finally be able to right its path and begin to take care of its people again.

Bob

June 20, 2008 at 6:27 pm |
  325. Jim

Given a choice between a root canal and watching endless commercials of lying politicians, I'll opt for the root canal. Less painful and the end result is more positive.

June 20, 2008 at 6:27 pm |
  326. Richard from Oklahoma

Jack, it will be easy to survive this election with CNN,Wolf and You. But how do we survive this economy? We need leadership NOW!!

June 20, 2008 at 6:28 pm |
  327. Polly DeLange

I am surviving by celebrating each of Obama's steps to help America out of the MUCK we are in. I'm surviving by donating to Obama and staying away from my brother who is a die hard down with the ship republican.

June 20, 2008 at 6:28 pm |
  328. Nancy Toler

Mr. Cafferty, I want to first say to you that I LIKE YOU! You are FOR REAL ALL THE TIME. That's character for you.

I also feel that Senator Obama is also a man of Character. I am still trying to understand what is wrong with the people of the Democratic Party ' Helping Themselves'. I've always heard that God helps those who helps themselves. McCain does not mention the amount that the Republican Party has collected which is far more than the
    Democratic Party has, but we can change that.

I try hard to understand what Leslie is talking about but she talks sooo fast that I miss most of her views. I wonder if anyone else feels as I do?

It means that the name of the state (Swing of Not) has nothing to do with the people who live there.. They want to be able to live comfortably as the people in all states want to do.

Thank you for the opportunity to leave my comment.

Nancy

June 20, 2008 at 6:28 pm |
  329. Karen-Phoenix

Working very hard to send more money to Obama. Now Moveon has dropped their 527 statis so I will probably have to get another job to support them!!! BUT my grandchildren will have their country back!!!

June 20, 2008 at 6:28 pm |
  330. Kate, Seattle WA

I remember being really excited about this race, but it was a while ago. The primaries started what? 15 months before the actual election? At this point I am on autopilot. It is all background noise. I'm sure once the conventions get here I will dive back in, or at the very least dip a toe.

June 20, 2008 at 6:28 pm |
  331. Judy Sanders

Hello Jack!
    First I want to say, this has truly been an experience for me, that I registered to finish school and get my BA degree in Health Care Administration. I received my AAS degree, now becauseof this years political elections I've been so inspired by the Obama's family and the campaigne Barack Obama committee and he himself Obama! I was a fan of Hillary Clinton as well, being a first female presidential nominee, Obama is the Man. I have to send a shout out to Michelle Obama, girl you nailed a good one! You go girl! So Thanks Obama family for everything you've inspired in me. I look forward to our first black african american president: Barack Obama! Thanks Jack.

June 20, 2008 at 6:29 pm |
  332. Kenneth

We will getting a break because it is summer time and most poeple
    with a measure of sense will doing things outdoors, however this was the reason McCain wanted to do ten town hall meetings that would been way to many.

June 20, 2008 at 6:29 pm |
  333. Andres Miami

Not watching you guys is a good start!

June 20, 2008 at 6:29 pm |
  334. Marcela Postlova

realizing the dream of past 8 years : Bush/Chaney/Rove &Co getting exactly what they richly deserve!! Obama rules!!!!!!

June 20, 2008 at 6:30 pm |
  335. Phil Jaeger

Make up my mind now and ignore it until November. This country has been a ship without a rudder under George Bush with the predictable result, now we are a shipwreck. I will vote for Obama.

June 20, 2008 at 6:30 pm |