June 3rd, 2008

Your money & your vote?

ALT TEXT
(PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Americans are down and out when it comes to the state of their own pocketbooks, and it's the issue that is most likely to drive the outcome of the election in November.

A new USA Today/Gallup Poll shows 55% of those surveyed say their families are worse off financially than they were just one year ago. That's the highest number who have felt that way since the poll first asked this question more than 30 years ago. It's also an increase of 11 percentage points since February.

The poll found anxiety about the economy is everywhere, among all groups of people. Two-thirds of those who make less than $30,000 say they are worse off than a year ago, but so do almost half of those making more than $75,000. The only major group of people who say they're better off are, surprise, Republicans.

One of the oldest and most reliable rules of politics is when the economy is bad, that makes for an appetite for change. And history suggests the fight over who can best improve the economy and change things is what will decide this election.

It's pretty simple really. When voters are downbeat about their financial situation, they turn against the party that's in the White House. That's what happened in 1976, 1980 and 1992. Not a good sign for John McCain and the Republicans.

Also, polls show Barack Obama getting much higher marks on the economy than John McCain. My guess is the election will not be decided by whether someone is willing to meet with Iran.

Here’s my question to you: How will your personal financial situation affect your vote in November?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Lee from Minnesota writes:
It has already affected me. I gave 6 years to the U.S. Army and another 33 years to government services and I have just about drained what I have. Oh, my wife just got laid off 3 weeks ago. The country cannot afford any resemblance of the past 8 years. I am booting the Republicans out of the White House until they will support you and me instead of the rich and corporate America.

David from Massachusetts writes:
While the financial state of the country does concern me greatly, there's a more important issue: I don't want to see my brother or any of his brothers-in-arms be sent off to Iraq again. Every soldier and every military family has sacrificed more than enough for this desert disaster.

Faith writes:
My money has nothing to do with my vote. I am not going to vote for an "unknown". What little I know about Obama, I don't like.

Keith from San Francisco writes:
If McCain wins, I'll be rich. If Obama wins, I'll be happy.

Matt from Minneapolis, Minnesota writes:
Tax hikes, no matter who they are on, have never benefited the economy. Vindictive tax hikes on those who invest and those who are rich aren’t going to help. A tax hike to make Social Security solvent won't help. For those who want Obama, remember tax hikes and increased government regulation hurt the economy. I'm not rich and I'm not an investor, but at least I realize the big picture.

Karen writes:
I am a Republican, a veteran and a single mother. Times are terrible and I will vote for Obama. I am sorry that the Republican Party has put all good Americans in such hard times and I will not support them.

Dan writes:
As gas prices soar, I will walk to the polls if necessary to cast my vote for a real and needed change in leadership for our country. We are running on empty in that regard.

Filed under: 2008 Election • Economy
  1. mitch martin arkansaw

it means i can only donate to obama 22 more times.

June 3, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  2. Tina (Ft Worth)

My finances have affected me since 2000 when Bush won the first go and things have not gotten any better. I get poorer each day. Can't afford to go anywhere but the gas station and the grocery store and I cry at both places. And everyone wants another Republican in office.....Be very afraid of what you wish for cause you might not like the results.

June 3, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  3. Kay in WV

If I were to vote my pocketbook, something I have never done, I would be forced to vote McCain.

If Obama is the nominee, and fails to address the concerns I and many others have about his lack of experience, my personal financial situation will be the only thing remaining on which to cast my vote.

June 3, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  4. Mike S. Bedford N.Y.

I don"t let my personal situation influence my opinion of what's right or wrong for the country. I don't think that this makes me a saint, but it definitely is what makes me a Democrat.

June 3, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  5. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Not at all. I'd vote for most anyone if they are willing to get out of Iraq and stop the bleeding.

June 3, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  6. Stacy from Leesburg, VA

Jack,
    Personal financial situations always affect my vote. But come November, making it to my local polling place may be difficult because I cannot afford the gas to drive there. I could walk, but with air quality being what it is, I could get cancer and drop dead. I could hitchhike but I am too afraid of my safety to do that. In other words, personal financial situations may prevent me from voting! Just kidding, I am going to vote and it will be an angry one. I am sure there are going to be some of those this year.

June 3, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  7. Charles Liken, Lansing, MI

My financial situation affected my vote in 2004. Unfortunately enough people were making money from the Iraq war to negate my vote. This time it is simple. I am voting against every incumbent and that includes John McCain.

June 3, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  8. Bruce in Bend OR

In a nutshell ..... BIG TIME!!! Right up there with the rest of the failures of this mock administration and its potential clones.

June 3, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  9. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Just listen to McCain from the debate at the Reagan library and that things are better now under a Republican and this question is easy to answer, vote Democrat.

June 3, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  10. Snapper Cridge • New Castle, IN

Unless John McCain is going to put large sums of money into my bank account...absolutely none!

June 3, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  11. Jenny

Jack,
    My husband and I will carpool to the voting place where we will procede to vote for Obama for President.!!

Jenny Rome ga

June 3, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  12. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

It doesn't affect my vote. I almost always vote Democratic.

But this year is special, because we have two very good candidates, not like 2004, when we had Kerry. He was ok, but not great. This time we have two great candidates to choose from.

June 3, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  13. Lorenzo, Atlanta, GA

Jack,

Gas is now $4.00 a gallon. I'm sure that by November, oil prices will be at another new record for the 170th day. When people get their first winter heat bill, I'm sure they will run to the polls and vote for any and every Democrat that's on the ticket.

June 3, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  14. Fred T. Black/Detroit

There is not a republican to be considered, I would not trust one as a dog catcher.

June 3, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  15. Cliff D, VA.

Unless I don't have enough money to buy gas and not be able to get to the Government Center to vote, it will not affect my vote

June 3, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  16. Joe in DE

It will be very important. Also important is the War, Port & Border Security, and the environment. I expct the Administration to do all they can to stimulate the economy between and the election. I also expect a dip in oil prices 2 months before the election. Bottom line is that Democrats better not figure this issue to be a free pass to victory lane.,

June 3, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  17. Rosalynd Florida

It is the poor financial situation of Americans in general that has had this independent voter casting a vote for Democrats for the last 8 years and I will cast a vote for Democrats in Nov 08 because I believe the Democrats have a better handle on the economy. I have seen too many of my 6-figure income co-workers concern themselves with their own financial situation and ignore how others were hurting. Not me, I am voting for Change!

June 3, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  18. Michael in Lorton, Virginia

Jack: I have been working since I was 8 years old.......retired from the military.......currently working for the Department of Defense.....and after the general election......will set the alarm....and come to work. This has been going on for 62 years........and no matter which presidental election I voted in........my financial situation remains constant........just like time....and voting is not going to change that....but thanks Jack for asking the question.

Major Michael

June 3, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  19. Kelly, PA

Considering my 403K statement dipped $1500 in three months, I will under no circumstances vote for a Republican. As a teacher, that much of a loss in income packs a punch. Maybe some Clinton supporters who boast about voting for McCain didn't look at their retirement accounts lately. These issues are too pressing to vote out of emotion. Therefore, I would have to vote for the person who has been most fiscally responsible and resourceful during the campaign which would clearly be Obama.

June 3, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  20. Jan Davis, Knoxville, TN

My financial situation has always guided my voting. Democrats are for the middle and lower classes which I fall into so I have always voted Democratic throughout the years and I'm not sorry for any of my votes except for Joe Lieberman. The Republican Party serves the rich–I guess if I were rich I might be a Republican, but probably not! Dems are on the side of social justice and peace!

June 3, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  21. Nuwan Sam

Not at all for me. Me and my family are doing fine for now. But I feel for many Americans who are having a lot of difficult time. And I see this country is going in the wrong direction to a point where I don't think this government is working for the people. If this trend continue as it is those who are doing ok, including me, will be in trouble.

– Nuwan from Houston, TX

June 3, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  22. Bob L from Philadelphia, PA

It's all about the issues. I do not care if the rich get a tax break if I, a middle class teacher, also get my tax break.

June 3, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  23. Chris Swansea, MA

The same way it always does Jack. I'll vote for the democratic nominee. I just don't understand my fellow voters who vote against their own interests just to keep homosexualls from having equal rights or to keep from spending $100.00 on a trigger lock.

June 3, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  24. J.D. in NH

We're at retirement age and had hoped to sell our major asset, our home, and live happily ever after. Now, thanks to the mortgage crisis enabled by John McCain's economic advisor, we're watching our equity decrease every day and have no hope of finding a buyer any time soon. The Republicans have been in charge for 2 terms and the country has never been in worse economic shape. A vote for any of them is a vote for financial disaster.

June 3, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  25. Barbara in NC

Financial situation? Broke is broke.

No more McBush.

June 3, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  26. Mary - Santee CA

Not much. I will vote for the candidate that will turn this country around. However, when it comes to voting for those running for the Senate or House, I will vote out those that are incumbents. This Congress is a joke and what is needed are those that are concerned with the Citizens of this country and will put an end to the outrageous pork barrel and earmark spending.

June 3, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  27. Jason, Koloa, HI

Well Jack, since I'm not in the top 2% income bracket I certainly will not be voting for a Republican.

June 3, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  28. Greg ...Cabot AR

These past 8 years have not been kind to my wallet and I plan to vote with a vengence this year..........Anyone that has been in Washington for the since 2000 will not get my vote ......democrat or republican, it's time for a change...

June 3, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  29. james tilton

I'm wondering if I will be I can afford to drive to the polls to vote...

June 3, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  30. Matt Callaway in Omaha, NE

I haven't had health insurance for over five years until this January when I was hired to a much better job. Just because I'm better off doesn't mean I'll forget what it was like all that time. My mind is made up and not even winning the lottery could change my mind.

June 3, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  31. Beverly -NYC

Jack:

I guess I'm lucky. My financial situation will not affect my vote in November. I did not buy more house than I could afford, I have emergency savings, I don't own a gas guzzling SUV, and public transportation is plentiful in NY.

My brother is currently serving in a war zone, getting him home in one piece is what will guide my vote.

June 3, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  32. Connie

Jack, I am a retired state employee, I pay five hundred dollars out of pocket for my health insurance every month. I must have it no matter how high it goes because I have already had a heart attack.John McCain wants everyone to pay for their insurance and take it out of the employers hands, just another ploy to benefit the rich and dump on the middle and lower class. Also I will be 65 in one year with Obama he says he does not want seniors to pay taxes on their social security. That works for me since I have paid taxes since I was 18. You go OBAMA

Connie from Indiana

June 3, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  33. Jeremy D (University of Texas)

I'm a college student who only gets financial aid through loans, I commute 20 minutes to class every day because housing thats on campus or close is too expensive. I'm not even an unlucky college student, I'm a typical one. What affects me most is an economy conducive to American industry and entrepreneurship because ultimately that will determine my livelihood.

June 3, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  34. Y in Georgia

I will not vote for someone who admittedly knows nothing about the economy and can't even raise enough money to buy a clue.

June 3, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  35. Kevin in Mass

Let's just see how the economy and food and fuel are in November. From tommorrow until then each has time to show me how my life will be better off if I vote for them. I am a Obama over Clinton person but as far as Nov election goes I can go either way.

June 3, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  36. Jeremy D (University of Texas)

Seems like Obama is the only one speaking to my concerns. His college aid program would be interesting and you'd see thousands of tudents committing to civic projects as opposed to committing to massive student loans and bad credit card rates.

June 3, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  37. Mark, Berwyn, PA

It will be 95% of the basis for my vote. As they say, people vote with their wallets, and I am no different. The other 5%? Youth. We need more youth in Washington, less "experience".

June 3, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  38. Gigi in Alabama

Since I am on Social Security, it will definitely affect the way I vote. It boggles my mind to try and understand how anyone on Social Security can possibly vote for the Republican Party.

June 3, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  39. F. Taylor

Well Jack the Bush/McCain platform of making the corporate tax cuts permanent and their insistance on sending billions of dollars to the middle east every month clearly indicates there are going to be about 2% of the population much better off so only about 98% of the people will remain in economic decline.

Having said this you also have to consider the McCain proposal on health care where he is going to make insurers more competitive and their premiums will fall like the Roman Empire. This makes a lot of sense as we all know the medical insurers and drug companies are more concerned with our welfare than their profit margins and they would never engage in price fixing.

Atleast Obama & Hillary talk a different platform so we know there is some hope for change contrary to McCain who still thinks the overall economy is great and there isn't any need to change the current economic strategies.

If McCain gets over 30% of the vote in November then it will be time for the U.S. to issue a means test before people are allowed to vote the next time.

June 3, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  40. Stacy from Farifax, Virginia

Not one bit. Even if the economy was doing better we would still need a change at the White House for so many other reasons.

June 3, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  41. Tom, Avon, Maine, The Heart of Democracy

If I can buy gas to get to the polls I'll vote Obama.

June 3, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  42. Terry in Virginia

I make over $200K a year, and I hope to make a lot more some day. But no matter how it's going for me, I like to act as if I might be the guy who needs help some day. So whether I'm rich, poor, happy or sad, stingy or generous, I'll be voting for the candidate who appeals to our higher sense of justice, fairness, and freedom.

June 3, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  43. Patricia

As I said before I wanted John Edwards to be our nominee. But, no matter what happens I will never vote for a Republican again. Did being broke after paying my bills & being out of money before the 15th of the month have anything to do with this vote. Yes, but, not as much as the War in Iraq & the War in Afghanistan have. I care about bringing our troops home & making sure they are cared for.
    Patricia
    Palmdale, Ca.

June 3, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  44. Terry, Chandler AZ

I make plenty of money. I have much more faith in the Democrats than more of the same Bush stuff that McCain will bring.

June 3, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  45. Michael Smith, New Orleans

My financial situation will have nothing to do with my vote in November.
    Nor did I vote in the past two election based on which candidate promised me a free check from the government. My vote this November will be against hypocrisy.

June 3, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  46. LaVerne E Brison

Jack: I live in Los Angeles where the housing market has been hit very hard. I am two years away from paying off my mortgage. I put my house on the market in October of last year and did not get one offer. I think that the Republicans have shown that they are lousy when it comes to handling the economy. This is the worst that I have seen things since Reagan was President. John McCain and the Republicans will try to scare everyone to death to try and get elected again and things will not change. I thought that the Country was too smart to reelect Bush. We all know I was wrong!!!!!!!. We will see if people do the same thing again.

June 3, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  47. Cynthia

I'm voting Democratic. The Republican administration is the reason why we are in this mess – plain and simple. I hope all Democrats no matter who they support will do what is best for the country.

June 3, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  48. Kristen

My financial situation will probably be the deciding factor. I am voting democrat. I will be graduating from college next May and I can not take the economy in the state it’s in. I will have college loans galore I know McCain is only for those who have just like Bush has been. He won’t be thinking about me or the millions of Americans like me so I won’t be thinking about him come November.

June 3, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  49. Ron in Indiana

It will affect it in a big way. Bush and Cheney, through greed and incompetence, have destroyed this country. I was a life long Republican, and have voted Republican since I was able to vote 24 years ago and I will NEVER vote republican again.

June 3, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  50. Donna in ID

It means there won't be a vote for Republicans from me. I am back at the stage of voting the lesser of 2 evils. It's sure getting old that so many times I vote against someone instead of for a candidate.
    Wth everything going up like crazy and the mismanagementof the wars, economy and giving our country away the last 7 yrs, anything has to be better than another Republican. People on low fixed incomes don't stand a chance. And good paying jobs with decient benifits are a thing of the past.

June 3, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  51. Katrina from South Carolina

Jack,
    My personal financial situation has made me realize that we cannot afford another Republican administration.

June 3, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  52. Keith from Irving, Texas

Won't affect it at all, Jack.

I could be dead broke, and I'd STILL never vote for 4 more years of Bush in the form of the hand picked Repub nominee, John McSame.

June 3, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  53. AndyZ Fairfax, VA

Well, if I can get a ride to the polling place, I will vote for those damned Republicans. At least they provide worthless tax cuts, even if I have to pay $16.00 per gallon of gas. Whatever happened to all the promises the democrats made during the 2006 elections. Am I the only one left with a memory?

June 3, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  54. Maryann CT

Your lives weren't FAR better under one Clinton? It would be SO different under another Clinton? Ironic that so many are worried about McCain's age, when so many voters seem to have memory problems when it comes to how much better things were in the '90's....

June 3, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  55. David,San Bernardino,CA.

Obama should take all that money he has collected and give it away to help people who are struggling just to eat. The campaign guys and television people certainly do not need more money. The fact that the campaigns now cost so much is absolutely revolting and disgusting.

June 3, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  56. Douglas -- Rochester, MN

The financial situation will not be the driving factor for my vote this November. Although I have long been a die-hard Republican, I (like most Americans with at least an average amount of intelligence) could tell a few years ago that President Bush was (and still is) doing a terrible job (as President). The economy was but just one of the things he (and the rest of the Republicans) was handling poorly; and it has steadily worsened over the past year. I decided long ago it was time to put a stop to the stupid, Mickey Mouse policies of the current administration, and elect a Democrat back in the White House.

June 3, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  57. Marty, Idaho

My financial situation always has something to do with how I vote, along with other issues I consider important at the time. This election is slightly different, though, because I don't remember ever worrying so much about America imploding economically as I do now.

June 3, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  58. Gregory Carter

As an African-American, I am sick of all the rherotic invoking race into the tail end of the nomination process. I hope the common sense will prevail and we stand behind the person that becomes our party's representative. It must be stated that for years blacks have voted for white candidates not because they were white but for the values they held that closely represented our own.

More power to the Democratic Party!!!!!

June 3, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  59. JD

I am completely committed to my vote in the fall. I WILL NOT vote for Obama. However, I could not vote against Hillary if she is on the ticket. I'm am done with the politics of exclusion (of females) and I will be changing my party affiliation because of the poor decisions made by the DNC beginning with proportional votes and ending with reducing the votes for Florida and Michigan. I am done.

June 3, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  60. Misha

Naples, Florida
    JD, are you a pro extreme women activist or feminist? or a Democrat. if you switch parties, you are simply a hypocrite if you cannot vote for your democratic nominee even with the flaws the DNC has..you should continue to be a democrat and vote obama. it is your principle.

June 3, 2008 at 5:33 pm |
  61. Don in Florida

The country is going down the toilet for everyone except CEOs and the very wealthy. The 'Let them eat cake' attitude of the Republican party is the one reason I could never vote for that party no matter how wealthy i become.

June 3, 2008 at 5:35 pm |
  62. David from MI.

To quote one of our best Presidents "THE ECONOMY STUPID"
    it will be very key, my finances have been hurt in the last eight years of KING GEORGE

June 3, 2008 at 5:36 pm |
  63. Karen

As a single, self supporting woman, my decision will be based on experience, integrity and truthfulness, not my pocketbook. Tell each of the candidates to match dollar for dollar on how much they spent on campaigning, then contribute that much to charitable organizations. No one is this country would be hurting now if they did. Talk about spending dollars foolishly! Show me a poor President, then I wouldn't hesitate to vote!!!!

Karen
    North Fort Myers, FL

June 3, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  64. Mickey/ El Paso

Jack:

Tom, of Avon, Maine, The Heart of Democracy wrote: "If I can buy gas to get to the polls I’ll vote Obama." Send Tom my e-mail adress I'll see he gets to the polls!

June 3, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  65. Karen, Las Vegas

If we had to drive to our voting place, we couldn't afford to vote! Fortunately, our place is just down the street so we'll go with ben' and pat (ben' your knees and pat your feet).

June 3, 2008 at 5:42 pm |
  66. Carol

Not much. When Bush was elected we redesigned our life style and budget. We have done better than ever. We took early retirement when Clinton was in office thanks to the economy at that time. We were able to retire early with a good income. We travled the first five years then settled into a busy life with family and friends. I don't know what you people were doing in the ninties but you make hay while the sun shines. I thank God every day that we retired in 1998. I think the Republician Party knows they have a mess on their hands and will do a good job cleaning it up in 2009 thanks to the Democrates. Experience is a great teacher.

Carol

June 3, 2008 at 5:42 pm |
  67. Janet, 60+White Female America via Canada

Democratic Nominee all the Way! Get rid of the Republicans NOW!

June 3, 2008 at 5:44 pm |
  68. Linda, Virginia

Nothing I voted for Obama in my primary and I will vote for him again in November 2008. He has better ideas and solutions to our woes. He will be a great president.

June 3, 2008 at 5:53 pm |
  69. Chryssa

Jack, I've made smart decisions (no credit card debt, no gas guzzling vehicle), I have a good career and I'm about to purchase my first home.

However, I realize that in this economy, my income could be gone in a flash. With that would go my healthcare, my home buying plans, and I'd fall behind on student loan payments. It's all a balancing act, and there's little wiggle room.

That's why I'm voting for Obama. He's my insurance policy against the fate so many Americans have already met.

Boise, Idaho

June 3, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  70. Hope Miller-Madisonville, KY

The best thing for this country is to vote all the Republicans out. I'm tired of the way this country is going. I will be casting my vote for
    Barack Obama. We don't need 4 more years of bad economics,
    bad foreign policy and a war that is draining the life out of the next 3 generations to pay for it.

June 3, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  71. vern

my financial situation has gotten worse since this administration has been in office gas prices are through the roof as well as food &other necessities.property values are down and things are in a mess all brought on by this administrations stupidy.i will definetly vote democratic this november

vern
    anaheim,ca

June 3, 2008 at 6:01 pm |
  72. George Yesalavich

I'm not better off, I want to know who and what was decided at Cheney's secret energy meeting. I think that's why I and most of America are down the tubes.,

June 3, 2008 at 6:02 pm |
  73. Dan from Washington

How will my financial situation effect my vote? It IS my vote in November!

June 3, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  74. Jeff in VT

Jack, I have been saving my economic stimulus rebate check to pay for the gas I'll need to get to the polls in November to vote the next Bush out of the White House.

June 3, 2008 at 6:07 pm |
  75. Dee

Hilliary should join McCain and join forces with both sides in one. Be McCain's running mate.

June 3, 2008 at 6:07 pm |
  76. patrick NC

It's amazing that anybody believes McCain or Obama could make an economic difference even if they wanted. McCains got a war bill he needs to pay on and Obama has a tax bill. The Congressional allumni is the house cleaning needed to be done. Until we get K street out of our pockets and Congress expect no changes soon. We have seen only the tip of the iceberg. LIBERTARIAN CHANGE REQUIRED HERE.

June 3, 2008 at 6:07 pm |
  77. Lucy

It normally would keep me voting democrat but if Obama is the nominee, it will not matter. I will have to go with McCain in the best interest of the country. He is the lesser of the two evils because with Obama, he can do way more damage in other ways.

June 3, 2008 at 6:08 pm |
  78. Sharon/Illinois

I don't think the economy is going to play any role in how I vote in November. My first concern is that we get out of Iraq and that we change the way Washington, D.C. operates and I want to see ALL the rascals thrown out. While the Iraq War is likely the No, 1 factor that is affecting our economy, I think oil prices are never going down and will continue to go up–we are, after all, in worldwide competition for a limited resource that may have already reached "Peak Oil" (half of all global supply used up). We need to focus on infrastructure and alternative energy (green energy).

June 3, 2008 at 6:09 pm |
  79. Nick From Boston

None. I'm writing-in Mickey Mouse. He won't take or misuse my money.

June 3, 2008 at 6:09 pm |
  80. dennis hunter

every one's money will be effected by the vote in november.

June 3, 2008 at 6:10 pm |
  81. D

I'm voting for the candidate who has the strongest leanings towards fiscal responsibility, among citizens and the corporate sector.The amount of greed and waste (and government agencies will not escape this tag) in this country is truly revolting.

June 3, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  82. Farhan Ali

It definitely will. With an incompetent President in the White House, i think its only fair we choose somebody that has "a clue about economics."

June 3, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  83. Shrujal in Riverside, CA

Easy Jack. I won't be able to afford the gas to drive to the polling place.

June 3, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  84. Faith Davis

My money has nothing to do with my vote. I am not going to vote for an "unknown". What little I know about Obama I don't like.

June 3, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  85. Lucas

Well Jack, because of my financial situation, I certainly won't be saying "4 more years".

June 3, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  86. Clint, Atlanta

Voting may be all I can afford to do by November. That is if I can afford to even drive to the polls.

June 3, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  87. Tiffany in Alabama

If I can afford to drive to the polls, I will be casting my vote for Obama. What this country needs is a jump start, and the young voters can use their energy and momentum to propel us forward.

June 3, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  88. Matt from Livonia, MI

Any way so that a Republican won't be in the White House.

June 3, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  89. Ell

It will not affect my vote. I will vote democrat.

June 3, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  90. John

I'll tell you how the economy is going to be changing my vote this November Jack. I'll be walking to the polls instead of driving to them. God himself probably can't predict what gas prices will be by then.

June 3, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  91. Annick ,Maryland

Simple Jack
    By affecting whether or not we can afford paying for gas to go to the polls. Did I miss something there?

June 3, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  92. Keith

If McCain wins, I'll be rich. If Obama wins, I'll be happy.
    Keith
    San Francisco

June 3, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  93. Blessing Oyeleye

The republicans have proved to be uninformed about the economy simply because they have short people like McCain who cannot see beyond his height.

We need Obama to make things right, and that includes, the economy, getting our of Iraq, health insurance and outstanding education.

June 3, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  94. Trey (Knoxville, TN)

I'm not better off, but I would rather stand in a bread line than vote for Barack Obama.

June 3, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  95. Natasha Los Angeles

Well Jack, my only options seems to be; vote for someone who is likely to raise my taxes to help the so-called "less fortunate", which I just barely, am not. Or, vote for someone that will only give a break to the rich (which I am not) and continue to take jobs out of the country. Like my junior high school teacher use to say; 'when in doubt, choose 'C'.

June 3, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  96. Drew

The way gas prices are rising and rising, it may cost me a day's pay to make it to the voting booth. With that stated and aside, we need a progressive tax rate and not the current Bush Economic Policy. McCain wants to keep it the way it is...

Obama has my vote.

June 3, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  97. Gerry, Buffalo NY

It's going to have a huge effect on my vote. If I have enough money to put gas in my car to get to the polls I will vote.

June 3, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  98. D in TN

I am a democrat, but can we afford alll of the new programs that Obama wants. A very liberal democrat usually means higher taxes. So I am leaning toward McCain.

June 3, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  99. Josh from Illinois

I'm 43 and I've never observed so many people so upset about the state of the economy and the incumbant president. Obama just needs to stand there and he'll win this big time.

June 3, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  100. T Smith

IM A (R). I WILL VOTE (D)! I FEEL LIKE THE BULK OF THE USA IS BEING IGNORED!

June 3, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  101. Charles

Congratulations to the United States – The first black candidate for the highest office of the land. You've come a long way, Canada is next!

Toronto, Canada

June 3, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  102. Rick from Florida

The economy won't affect my vote at all......unless I can't afford gas to drive to the polls!!

June 3, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  103. Allan

The economy will be the number one issue in November. The american consumer can no longer tolerate such crippling gas prices and the all around incompetence of the bush administration.

Obama '08

June 3, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  104. Shelly G.

I'm unemployed and George W. Bush paid me $600 last week. Thanks for helping me keep my house for one more month, George! Your $600 didn't turn me into a Republican. I'm still voting Democratic.

June 3, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  105. ARLAN

Jack, my financial situation is not so much a "situation" as a marathon crisis. The only direction it CAN go is up. But my mind would be made up regardless of how things shape up financially by November. By the way, I'm an Obama supporter.

June 3, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  106. Meagan

As a recent college graduate and future teacher, the state of the economy is frightening. With the rising price of gas, my savings is dwidling and (if I am lucky enough to find a teaching job) my first paycheck will not be until September. There needs to be serious change in the White House and John McCain will not bring about the kind of economic reform to bring any relief to the American people.

June 3, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  107. Emmanuel Ochi, New York

Obviously my financial situation is the number one issue in the general election. My family have been through the worst economic situation in the last one year. I will definitely cast my vote for Barack Obama who is in a better position to turn the economy around for the better. A vote for John McCain is an extension of George Bush failed economic policies.

June 3, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  108. Matt H from Chicago

oh and to the Mickey Mouse guy, Disney Corp is more corrupt than Dick Cheney with a shotgun in hunting gear sitting at the desks of Halliburton smoking a Cigar.

June 3, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  109. Barnett, Des Moines, IA

Jack, I got in this great country 2005. If I was an American I will vote Democrat though I like the Repuplican Party. But with the high cost of gas, food and the rest of the cost of living, I think there need to be a change.

June 3, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  110. Chuck Obaze

Yes my financial Status affects my vote, i will not vote for any candidate that will continue the war in Iraq, it is because of the war, that is why gas prices have gone up, and this inflation has affected my finances, so it is in my best intrest jack to Vote for the candidate that will save my money so to speak.

June 3, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  111. Bill Toohey

The cost of everything going up has caused my family to cut back. No vacation driving this year. We will stick close to home. I am a life long Republican, but I have just made my second donation to Obama. This year I will follow my grandfather advise and vote for the crooks not in office.

June 3, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  112. Diane Kuehner

I do not agree that Senator Obama's lack of experience has the potential to be detrimental to our country. I am excited about his inexperience. I look at what we have had in the past, all the old politician (meaning politicians with a lot of experience) and I am very much looking forward to young, fresh ideas. Experience does not always mean good things. Sometimes experience means 'same ole same ole'.

June 3, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  113. nick

Hopefully McCain nominates Romney as VP so he can take care of the economy and McCain can take care of Iran. Thats the reason you have a VP, to help you and not hurt you, Right George???

June 3, 2008 at 6:23 pm |
  114. Jason, New Hampshire

While it's true that the economy has gotten steadily worse since Bush took office, it has also gotten much worse, much faster since 2006, when the Democrats took the majority in Congress. I, personally, can't trust any of the idiots in either of these parties. I'll be voting Independent in November, and hoping I can survive the economic hardship to come.

June 3, 2008 at 6:23 pm |
  115. Rhae -Arkansas

Yes, the economy is driving how we are going to vote in November! But no one has convinced me that Obama has the solution for what ails us. We are going to need more than "pretty speeches" and "pie in the sky" to address this energy crisis. We don't have time for "dreamers" and poetry right now. Without Senator Clinton on the ticket this "dreamer" may not ever "get real" and "get serious". Obama comes with No experience on anything.

June 3, 2008 at 6:23 pm |
  116. Jo

Money, and any lack there of, will always be an issue in politics. At this point, I think both parties are really good at telling the American people what they want to hear about the economy and really good at not doing anything about it. Both parties seem to be essentially the same in the long run, so I will have to cast my vote for either Ralph Nader or Cynthia McKinney.

June 3, 2008 at 6:23 pm |
  117. cathy central point oregon

I will be voting Democrat no matter what my financial situation is. I believe in fairness to all people, not just the poeple who are already rich and do not have to decide between gas and food. I am proud to say that I have never been a republican, and I never will.

June 3, 2008 at 6:23 pm |
  118. Jeff Spiller

I feel that congress and the fed influence the economy more than the presedent. The president has more of an effect on security (Commander & Chief) and international affairs. Therefore, the economy will not affect my vote.

June 3, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  119. anthony mings(v.a)

i would much rather pay higher taxes then gas prices. then i have somewhat of an idea of where my money is going.

June 3, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  120. Jeff Rodgers

Jack, it won't affect my vote at all. I would rather stick two, sharp jagged sticks in my eyes than endure four more years of Bush-like programs and policies that destroy both the U.S. and the world. Presidential Candidate Obama has my vote.

June 3, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  121. wee (gastonia, NC)

Jack, If u want to refill your pocket to that level its was before Bush embarked onto the war on Iraq, by now should have made up your mind on whom to vote for in November.

June 3, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  122. walter collins

As money has always been too much of an issue, I've learned to do with less as a habit – however the two major issues that keep our country divided (the economy and the war) are connected because as we have a war economy that makes republicans more wealthy. While there are wealthy democrats and independents – most of our millionaires holding elective office are by a large proportion republicans (vested in oil and energy). War would have ended earlier if the republicans were losing money – they don't give a damn about security, (health and EDUCATION also are ignorred because they want to bring back or continue some form of enslavement).

June 3, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  123. Richard in Mexico

If I still have a job and can afford the gas, I know the economy will affect my vote as I go to the polls and vote for a change.

June 3, 2008 at 6:25 pm |
  124. Steve Jackson

Mr. Cafferty,

My family financial situation is the most important issue concerning any elections this year and years to come. I'm a Independent and my wife is a liberal inwhich it burns me to admit that she was right about the votes I casted in 2000 and 2004. My candidate won but my family and country lost. As a married man, it's hard to enjoy the fruits of victory when your wife is right for 8 straight years.

Obama and Clinton 2008
    Steve in Harlem

June 3, 2008 at 6:25 pm |
  125. Michele, Oregon

There is an old joke circulating how each party handles things. A man is drowning about 100 feet away. The Republican throws out a line of 50 feet of rope and says "you are on your own". The Democrat throws out 150 feet of rope and then lets go of the other side.

In this case I believe that McCain will still throw out the proverbial 50 feet of line, maybe even adding a few feet. But the man still drowns while McCain touts that his candidacy has provided the freedom to choose less government. I believe that Obama as the grass roots candidate will stick to holding the rope.

I do not vote my pocket book, but I do vote on the economy in concern for the poor and take into consideration who is more likely to genuinely help them.

That is hands down the democrats.

June 3, 2008 at 6:30 pm |
  126. Scott -Virginia Beach

Voting based on my personal financial situation is about as responsible as voting for Barak because he's black, or Hillary because she's a woman. If you base your decision on that type of reasoning you're too intellectually immature to vote. Stay home! And stay out of the stock market, too.

June 3, 2008 at 6:30 pm |
  127. Tony

Food and money is like rain, when its cold and wet, so let it pour now on the Democrats.

June 3, 2008 at 6:30 pm |
  128. Daisy (from California)

In addition to my last comment:
    I vote not based on MY situation - but what I think is best for the COUNTRY. I will be voting for McCain.

Please keep this country away from socialism.

June 3, 2008 at 6:30 pm |
  129. Janice, Illinois

No affect on my vote –I know how to budget! McCain 08!

June 3, 2008 at 6:31 pm |
  130. Terri

I don't know if my financial situation has any effect. I do believe that for me, HOPE that I will be able to maintain my current emploment and income, and lifestyle is more the thing.....HOPE that others who are able and and want to work can find employment is more the thing. HOPE for other's lives is the thing....This question has prompted me to see what McCain is saying, but as it is similar to GWB, No votes here! Terri, Lakewood, Ohio

June 3, 2008 at 6:32 pm |
  131. Stefany, Mesquite, TX

Absolutely it's the economy. The republican party isn't what it used to be. They have become a puppet on a string of "Corporate America". Americans are tired of the methodical eradication of the middle class citizen's voice in American politics. The republican philosophy for the last 15 years has caused me to vote for ANYONE but them! As concerned Americans , we need to unite to repudiate the Repugnant-cans!!!

June 3, 2008 at 6:32 pm |
  132. Chris

Jack! You bet the economy is number one. However the war, the environment, and our energy policy are all beating each other up for number two! I believe these issues have the potential to become much more inconvenient problems for us than the economy in the near future.

I'll bet on Obama.

Chris
    Dallas, TX

June 3, 2008 at 6:33 pm |
  133. Hans, Highlands Ranch CO

It is difficult to judge how each of the candidates will affect my personal financial situation. None of the candidates have adequately explained their economic programs nor how they plan to deal with the current $10 trillion debt, or the looming implicit debt of $50+ trillion.
    They are not going to touch that hot potatoe.

June 3, 2008 at 6:33 pm |
  134. jema

If it were the economy and Iraq that concerned me I would vote Ron Paul. But since he can't be the Rep. nominee I have to settle for the next best statesman- Obama.

June 3, 2008 at 6:33 pm |
  135. Lake Pirate

The Republicans have forgotten that a strong upper class is built on a strong lower class. They are literally kicking the stool out from under themselves by a total lack of simple economics. I'll vote for whoever articulates the simplicities of stability and not immediate gratification and hopeful strategies. Life is simple, give me a simple candidate.

June 3, 2008 at 6:34 pm |
  136. Mahad

it is really not that hard Jack, i am paying $3.68 a gallon for gas and i am struggling with school, bills and just about everything else. one thing is for sure though come november my wallet will be my vote.

June 3, 2008 at 6:35 pm |
  137. Bill Adams

The economy will not affect my vote at all because I am one of those conservative Americans that has taken total responsibility for my life and don't need a handout from the government. However since the Democrats and Obama want to role back the Bush tax cut I would never vote to have them take my money and give it to someone who has taken no responsibility for their life.

June 3, 2008 at 6:35 pm |
  138. Rebecca (London, Ontario)

Jack,

I am a former resident of Michigan. Even though I live in Canada, I still vote in Michigan and I have always voted Democrat. The economy there is awful. I don't think it is a factor in my choice of candidates however, as I am disillusioned with both parties. In my former town, Muskegon, a federal grant just built a two mile long chain linked fence to protect turtles crossing the road. This cost 318,000 $. I am tired of the contstant pandering to special interest groups, and corporate interests. Even though I will still vote for the democrat candidate, no matter who it is, I am disgusted with both parties.

June 3, 2008 at 6:36 pm |
  139. Mary Armesto, Austin Texas

Jack,
    I'm trying to come out from under the Bushes in Texas! I was employed when W became president and as a current unemployed Latina, I not only voted for Obama in the Texas Two Step Primary, I donated money to his campaign.

I don't have to be good at Math or Economics to know if Obama pulls us out of the quagmire of the Iraq war, we could spend the same amount of money on our aging infrastructure and pave the way for every other program which we need to jump start the economy which is currently on life support.

I not only will cast my vote for the possibility of the first African-American President of the United States of America, but also will continue to donate to Obama's candidacy in order for President Bush to feel my pain of unemployment–literally!

Mary from Austin, Texas

June 3, 2008 at 6:36 pm |
  140. Tiffani

I am strongly supporting Obama. In four years our oldest daughter will be ready for college and with the rising gas, food and healthcare costs. I know if Mccain is elected the dream of sending her to college will become a nightmare of her and us drowning in student loans. Also so far in this year alone my husband and I have already spent $3,400 in out of pocket expenses for routine healthcare and it is only June. Our combined income has dwindled and we are supposedly "upper middle class" if such exists anymore.

June 3, 2008 at 6:37 pm |