May 23rd, 2008

Soaring gas, food prices changing your holiday plans?

ALT TEXT

(PHOTO CREDIT: AP PHOTO)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Americans are being hit with a more expensive holiday weekend than in years past, with soaring costs for everything from gasoline to hamburger buns.

Gas prices, at a national average of $3.88 a gallon, have now risen for 17 straight days, according to AAA. The motorist group says that for the first time since 2002, Americans plan to drive less this Memorial Day weekend than they did the year before. It says people are traveling closer to home and taking fewer trips.

And, that poll was taken during the last week of April, when gas was at $3.50 a gallon. At least 7 states now average more than $4 a gallon. Another survey conducted this month found 23% of Americans have changed their travel plans for this weekend due to high gas prices, with 12% canceling their vacations all together.

Meanwhile, for those just planning to stay home and fire up the barbecue, get ready for sticker shock there, too. With food inflation at the highest in almost two decades, the cost of an average barbecue could cost families about 6 percent more than last year.

Prices are up for everything from hot dogs to soda, potato chips and hamburger buns. Beef prices have been high, and chicken and pork prices are expected to rise because of feed and fuel costs.

For many people, that means cutting corners, by doing things like buying store brands instead of name brands. Others say they find themselves questioning every food purchase – wondering if they really need the item.

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Mark from Berwyn, Pa. writes:
I spend $50/week just to drive back and forth to work. So this weekend, I stay home. No driving, no gas stations, no feeding the pockets of oil company executives and Arab sheiks. Mine will be a truly American holiday spent with loved ones.

T.D. writes:
Consumers are not going to let the economy spoil their holidays. It’s been proven over and over again.

Steve writes:
For me, Memorial Day weekend has always been stay at home to watch the Indy 500 and old war movies on TV. By the way, Indy Car fuel economy: 5 miles per gallon of ethanol.

Mike from New Orleans writes:
We're staying home. We looked at our leisure budget for Memorial Day Weekend, and we figured out whiskey is cheaper than gas.

Kevin from Massachusetts writes:
It will be burgers and hotdogs this year instead of steak and lobster. The motor home will be parked in our backyard instead of the campground. We will all sit and watch the Travel Channel for that vacation experience.

Courtney from South Windsor, Connecticut writes:
A bit. It basically means the quality of my celebratory beverages will go down, but my consumption of them will go up. Drowning myself in Busch Light hasn't seemed this appealing since college.

Mark from Kalamazoo, Michigan writes:
No way, Jack. At 80mpg on the motorcycle, what better way to get out and enjoy the weekend? Besides, fast food prices usually stay under five bucks. It should be a killer weekend.

Posted by
Filed under: Oil Prices • Rising Food Costs
  1. Paula in Albuquerque

Nope. I am usually at home, due to a fixed retirement income. Thus, I have a freezer stocked with delectables...and a magnificent garden to work in and enjoy. For me..."life is great"!

May 23, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  2. Nuwan Sam

I am not planning to pig out with all those unhealthy meat baberque. I will still eat decently with my family and the prices would not affect that. For me memorial weekend does not a start of unhealthy eating habits.

– Nuwan from Houston,TX

May 23, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  3. Ron from Colorado

I'm staying home and grilling chicken. Come on over, Jack, if you can afford the gas to get here.

May 23, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  4. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

No, nothing has changed. I usually have other family members visit me anyway. It's just that I won't be getting seconds on the baby back ribs this year.

May 23, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  5. Dave from Veazie, ME

Jack,

As I was driving into work this morning I noticed that the price of gas at the station where I usually fill up was $3.93. Needless to say, with gas prices that high I'll be grilling out in my backyard.

May 23, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  6. Tina (Ft Worth)

Yeppers. I will have to park my boat and only play in the water this year. I have to eat the cheapest hot dogs and the cheapest hamburger meats, which if you have seen the price of steaks you will be eating the same junk food as the rest of us.

May 23, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  7. Terry in Hanover County

We're staying home. Driving is only for necessities. Email keeps us in contact with friends and relatives. Chicken replaces steak on the grill; charcoal replaces LP; and open windows replace a/c. We save where we can unlike the Fat Cats in Congress (with apologies to pudgy kitty cats elsewhere.)

May 23, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  8. sarah, Indiana

since i plan only to open the pool and do yard work the economy has no affect on my memorial day weekend. we might even throw some burgers on the grill and pop open a cold beer. living the high life indeed.

May 23, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  9. Casey - Sebastopol, CA

Holiday? What's that?

May 23, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  10. frank in phoenix

yes, I'm postponing my next vacation from 2010, til 2012

May 23, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  11. Terry from North Carolina

Jack
    you bet it will change our plans, we will stay at home and eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for three days and watch ww11 movies on TV.

May 23, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  12. James in Cape Coral, FL

Jack,
    Well I wont be having any fun but maybe I can scrape together a few bucks to eat.

May 23, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  13. Gordon Klopfenstein

They won't change. I planned to stay home anyway.

May 23, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  14. mitch martin arkansaw

it means i'll be staying at home,eating ramen soup,and drinking cheap beer.....wait...it means i'll be staying at home, drinking name-brand beer....

May 23, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  15. Jan Davis, Knoxville, TN

Jack I plan to stay at home as usual. As a widow with three children to educate, I haven't been able to take a vacation since 1992. Things have progressively gotten worse over the years for those of us in the middle and lower classes while a few are getting fabulously rich at the hands of the Bush Administration. Those oil execs who testified to Congress this week should be brought to trial for taking advantage of the general public. What happened to business ethics and concern for the community in our country? I believe what goes around comes around and they will get their due one of these days!

May 23, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  16. barbara in ohio

again, those with less income most likely will not get to do what they want to do while those who "have" will still go and do whatever they want – maybe staying home and really remembering those who died in a war rarely supported would be more appropriate – visit a veteran in your neighborhood with a thank you card, or a veteran in a hospital, or attend a local memorial service

May 23, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  17. Conservative -CA

There is a meat market I go to for every bar-b-q and after each visit I start to buy less now. I can't help but to go there because the meat is so damn good.

Anyhow, a pound of beef is now at 6.19 and everything else is getting ridiculous high.

You can't go out because then you can't afford to buy as much food you really want.

May 23, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  18. Phil in Wenatchee, WA

The only plans I have for the Memorial Day weekend are to buy a nice bouquet of flowers for my mother and father and to attend the Memorial Day ceremony at the cemetery...which is 10 miles away. Who can afford anything else?

May 23, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  19. Matt Callaway in Omaha, NE

Fuel and food prices won't affect my plans, but the weather sure will.

May 23, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  20. Major Michael in Lorton, Virginia

Jack: I think that it is going to curtail travel for some of us, but most Americans will bite the bullet and head to the beaches. I'm going to have a cook out home, but either way I will still be paying the soaring gas prices buy using the propane and consuming the food (which also has increased due to gas prices).......eat an be merry....but we are all paying for the increase in energy cost.........whether we burned it directly.......or eat it indirectly.......Happy Memorial Jack to you an your family......Major Mike

May 23, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  21. Rosalynd Florida

Yes. Increases in fuel prices, food, movie tickets and now the popcorn too, I plan to stay home this Memorial Day and have a backyard barbecue (charcoal grilling not Gas) thank you very much.

May 23, 2008 at 2:30 pm |
  22. Helen in Big 'D'

Who can go anywhere but the CEO who made $12 million last year? It astounds me that the prices at the pump go up instantly when they announce the price of the barrel of oil increased. As if the gas in THEIR receptacles was refined at that moment. Who do the Exxon's, Shell's etc think they are? Jesus Christ? I know He turned water to wine instantly, but, come on! This is a form of gouging! This is why the gas companies are having record gains every month. I am a sinlge woman who can at least afford to travel if I wanted to put more money in those CEOs pockets, but, I refuse to travel unnecessarily.

May 23, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  23. A. American

I was planning on going to the lake of the ozarks for memorial day weekend, but with gas prices at Katrina Levels who can go anywhere. Why the oil men in the white house have not done anything about it is hard to understand. Can you explain it to me Jack?

May 23, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  24. Noah in Texas

Jack, we were going to take a road trip to Napa Valley and trying the various cuisines each state has to offer along the way. Now we will order take out from a great southwestern restaurant and rent the movie "Sideways"!

May 23, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  25. Brad, Amarillo TX.

Jack this is just the first of economic storms that will descend on our country. Back in the 70's we were given a strong warning about our addiction to oil and our dependance on foreign oil. We not only chose to ignore that warning, we actively increased both. Oil prices are going up from here, we have a choice to begin to use alternative energy and actively switch from an oil based economy or devolve into a third rate economic power. We have the technology and the ideas, Wind, solar, cellulosic alcohol, Algae fuel and even Nuclear. We could be a world leader/supplier of energy if we had the will power. I think instead we will sit on our butts and blame oil companies, government, and OPEC instead of freeing ourselves. So yes I will curtail my driving this memorial day.

May 23, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  26. Linda in Virginia

Whoa Jack, sitting here watching the ocean roar onto the beach, with the sand inbetween my toes, with an ocaen breeze cooling that sun which is beating on my shoulders, life is greeat!! That is in my dreams. Won't be any traveling this holiday, it's been ripped away from most of us. And I so wanted to contribute my part to the ailing economy while being in a nice motel and having a dinner at the local beach restaurant.

May 23, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  27. Brian, Buffalo, NY

We try to remember what the day represents and usually have a quiet weekend at home but the high gas prices do spoil it for traveling family members at this special time.

May 23, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  28. Jed from Redding, CA

It doesn't help that it's raining but I'm staying home this weekend. Maybe I'll go to Costco and get a jumbo-size pack of hamburgers for the grill. (that's the only way to buy groceries now - make one monthly trip to the nearest jumbo-size discount pricing club store. Great way to save on food and gas).

May 23, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  29. JD in CA

Last year we were all over the west coast from Oregon to Mexico. Now we can't hardly afford to go to the store, let alone a vacation destination. Especially now that airlines would charge me up to $100 should I dare bring my luggage with me. It's kinda tough to fit enough clothing for a family of 3 in a couple of carry-ons.

May 23, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  30. pam

not only are plans for this weekend changed by the cost of EVERYTHING.....but i cannot see it getting any better until we show bush and co. the door in january.....this is truly sad, for it makes it hard for us to appreciate the fact that we are a great country and have the opportunity to honor those who have made it so for us all...........GOD BLESS AMERICA AND OUR FALLEN AND WOUNDED.......

May 23, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  31. Courtney, South Windsor, CT

May 23, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  32. Scott - Wichita, Kansas

The plans were always to stay home and relax on the long weekend, so probably not. However, we've got a huge line of stroms coming in the next week, so it'll probably be a mostly indoor thing.

May 23, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  33. Gigi in Alabama

It won't affect my plans at all. I do not like to venture out too far afield on holiday weekends. . . entirely too much traffic!! My family and I will probably have a fish fry at my daughter's house and then after all that food, I'll probably just take a nap.
    Hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend. I plan to.

May 23, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  34. Mike S., New Orleans, Louisiana

May 23, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  35. Sara, Minnesota

I can't even afford to visit my mother's gravesite with flowers. I'll be sitting at home, maybe do a little grilling, but I won't be going anywhere.
    And if gas prices really hit 8 dollars a gallon by the end of the summer, as the news has said, we'll be in a depression that makes the thirties look like a field day.

May 23, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  36. Phil from Ohio

I'm planning on camping out at gas stations so I can wash windshields for tips. Then maybe i'll be able to afford a vacation.

May 23, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  37. Ray from FL

It still is way less costly than those shots Hillary was tossing down with the West Virginian and Kentucky mountain folk. If Hillary can keep drinking, I guess I can keep guzzling. After all I am going to get a few pennies refund, from myself, for the fed tax I paid. Ho Ho

May 23, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  38. Rob L

It will make me think about what will happen when the public realizes that speculators are fixing the worldwide oil market much like Enron did with electricity to California.

May 23, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  39. marti thompson

going to stay home, have Barack and Michelle over so she can tell me for the first time in her life she likes barbecued chicken..

May 23, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  40. Judy

Happy Memorial Day! Gas prices in the US are still a bargin compared to Europe. However, if everyone were more conservation consious, it may impact things. Hard to believe in this day and age more fuel effecient cars aren't produced. Americans are ingenious and creative. Why aren't more alternative sources used like solar energy etc. Come on America show em what you are made of and what made America great in the first place

May 23, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  41. David, Orlando, FL

It will have absolutely no effect on me. I’d never be dumb enough to go out in Memorial Day, Labor Day or the 4th of July weekend traffic – I stay home thank you very much. And I’ve already bought a stack of burgers and buns so I’ll be just fine there too. Tuesday will be a different story.

May 23, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  42. TD

Consumers are not going to let the economy spoil their holidays. It been proven over and over again.

May 23, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  43. David Alexandria, VA

No. I'm a yard-work and sailing kind of guy. But, if going away for the long weekend was important to me, and the economics were going against that, I would have balanced my other costs in order to make sure that I could do what was important to me. Jack - I think that it called "a budget." And like every budget except the Federal government's, you have to make trade-offs to contend with the unexpected. Since $5 gas and the impact on food prices has been inevitable for 40 years, I'd argue that this should not have been unexpected for anyone. (Especially for the last 6 Presidents and about 4,000 congressmen)

May 23, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  44. Radiance

I am a college student presently living at home, but even I notice that the little money I have is disappearing quicker than usual. I can only imagine how hard is for my mother and others who actually have to pay bills along with soaring food and gas prices. Most Memorial day celebrations around the country will look like pot-luck dinners. Everyone chips in.

May 23, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  45. Chuck in Eugene Oregon

Jack, they more than changed my plans. Had planned on a week of camping and fishing along the Oregon coast, now I will be staying home cooking hamburgers and hot dogs instead of that fresh salmon, trout and ribeye steaks we had originally planned. At least we still have a roof over our heads and food on the table, unlike many others that are finding themselves packing as they are evicted from their homes. I feel so badly for all those people

May 23, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  46. Perry J

I am not going to let bother me I have come to a end. If the democrats in our grand congress will not help me and the other citizens that keep voting them in for doing such a bang up job. If there were any of them with a care for this nation they would look for ways to get the oil lying under back sides and put it to use. We have the oil down under our own nation and they will do nothing to help there own nation . They care for nothing but the party of power and to put the other party under the oil there are five hundred fifty five reasons why we are paying higher prices for oil and it is not the oil companies hell if the big oil companies had there way they would make more profits and the best way is to drill for more and refine more. I live in Iowa and I want the price of oil to get too $200.00 a barrel and a gallon of gas gets to $8.00 then maybe we will remember it our governments fault and vote for the people that will get it from under there back sides

Perry j
    Council Bluffs Iowa

May 23, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  47. Stephanie in Ellicott City, MD

We're staying home Jack. After we eat our traditional burnt hamburgers and hotdogs...we'll hop in our COLD pool. It's been cold in Maryland.

May 23, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  48. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

No real change in plans. This morning I kissed the wife and sent her out on a job interview and hope that she can start work before Memorial Day. Then we went to the store and bought some hotdogs instead of steaks, thank goodness they were on sale. We won't use any bread as that is too expensive, but we will have some off brand beans with our gourmet meal and be grateful that we have food on the table.

May 23, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  49. Marc

Jack

The only thing I changed was my driving habits and car.

I traded in my SUV for a compact car months ago when the writing was on the wall for higher gas prices. I drive 55 mph now and get 20% improved fuel economy from before when I used to drive 65 mph. It takes me 10 minutes per hour longer to get there but I make less stops at the gas station. No need to change my plans as gas cost me the same as it did last year.

It amazes me how many gas guzzlers still pass me by at a high rate of speed using up to 50% more gas than they need to – all because they are in a hurry to get to that finish line – wherever that is.

May 23, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  50. Paula, Seattle, WA

Food??? People still have money to buy food? LUCKY!!

I am spending all my money on gas to get me to work so I can make money to buy gas to get me to ........ ARGH!!!!

May 23, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  51. Christo-Allingtown,CT

Jack, I will wash my camry hybrid and put it back in the garage. I want to give the oil producer a chance to become over-stocked with their oil.

May 23, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  52. Harry

My plans for this memorial day, is the same as any other. I will visit the graves of both generations past and ones who left this earth too soon. I will be reflecting on their contributions to building and defending this nation. Considering their sacrifice, a couple bucks more a gallon of gas is very cheap.

Harry
    Ky.

May 23, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  53. Adam Mercer Oshawa, Ontario

Jack,

Well, since the whole North American continent seems bent on turning all of our corn into ethanol it will have an impact on my summer eating habits....all the corn will be in someone's gas tank. It is impressive that the price of gas is making people intentionally destroy something that has long been a fairly inexpensive and easy to grow food source.

May 23, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  54. Buster in Poughkeepsie, NY

Dear Jack, the Mrs. and I are beyond poor...We's po!!! So instead of the traditional Memorial Day barbeque, we're going to Kentucky Fried Chicken. But we're so poor, I'm afraid we'll be licking everyone else's fingers.

May 23, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  55. Jamaal Kansas

I will be eating at McDonalds' off of there dollar menu Jack because OPEC took my Bar B Que money.

May 23, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  56. Mark, Berwyn, PA

I spend $50/week just to drive back and forth to work. So this weekend, I stay home. No driving, no gas stations, no feeding the pockets of oil company executives and Arab shieks. Mine will be a truly American holiday spent with loved ones.

May 23, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  57. Chris from NY

Hi Jack, First let me say that I read your book and it was magnificent!! If more people spoke their minds like you do perhaps things wouldn't have gotten so bad for this country! As for my Memorial Day plans: My wife and I are staying home like I'm sure quite a few people will be doing. With the economy, ridiculous gas prices, and food cost's it just takes all the fun and the true meaning of what this holiday should mean for us american's I'm a blue collar worker and have been laid off now for almost 18 month's !!! How can this government expect any of us (besides that top 1% of course) to enjoy anything about this great country of our's when they just give it away to the highest bidder, along with all of our hopes and dreams for us and our future generations. I think the time for the people of this country to rise up and revolt against this government and overthrow both parties is NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We did it once we can do it again!!!

May 23, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  58. Karl from Colorado

Jack,
    For Memorial Day, the wife and I were going to travel, eat at restaurants and see a few places this year. After looking at the price of gas and the price of food I think we will stay home and eat left-overs.

May 23, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  59. dave

oil companies are GOUGING the american people and thier record prophits are Unamerican and Upatriotic

May 23, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  60. Jim

Champagne Vodka and Movies

May 23, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  61. Mark K. in Kalamazoo MI

No way, Jack. At 80mpg on the motorcycle, what better way to get out and enjoy the weekend. Besides, fast food prices usually stay under five bucks. It should be a killer weekend.

May 23, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  62. Esther Cuyahoga Falls Ohio

Yes my plans have changed
    won't be driving
    won't be taking my meds
    won't be eating
    won't be sitting with the lights on
    won't be outside no clothes for warm weather
    won't be soon alive in this country

May 23, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  63. Mello Doug, NM

Where I live families and their children are doing without eating just so that mom or dad has enough gas to get to work so they do not lose their jobs. Wonderful world.

May 23, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  64. don in naples, florida

my memorial day weekend will be spent with my wife. Let corporate america and wreckless government spending impose massive trickle down economics. Businesses will be left with the unfortunate task of creating a gimmick to sell holidays which usually bring in big revenue. Maybe corporate america will create a 365 day year of nothing but holidays to try and keep americans enthusiastic about pumping money into economy.

May 23, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  65. Aaron B.; Champaign, IL

The same way its affecting my daily life: (1) No vacations; (2) fewer vanity projects; (3) fewer trips to the mall/movies; (4) no more "casual visits" to friends; (5) buy less/eat less; and (6) save, save, save.

May 23, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  66. George

Jack us poor folks have been in this survival mode now for over a year. So it won't make any more difference this year than last. You know when you have to tighten your belt it doesn't kill you as most would have you think. Would be much nicer to be able to take a little vacation up north, or have a large holiday dinner, but a couple of hot dogs, and some lemonade will do just fine. It's all in how you look at it. If you make it a big problem it can be, but if you make it just another little hitch in your gitty-up, it isn't too bad at all.

May 23, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  67. Mark, Oklahoma City

Not much, Jack, my plans to drive to Arizona are cancelled because I can buy a small house on what the gas would cost me to get there, and because of the cost of food my grilled steaks have suddely turned into Oscar Myer weiners, but other than that, no prices of food and gas do not effect me at all.

May 23, 2008 at 3:03 pm |
  68. Nora Corpus Christi Texas

Can I borrow the picture of the meat you used for this article, I can put it up with a sign that says this is What we could of had if George Bush was not president!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 23, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  69. Len of Colfax, Wisconsin

Jack, since we weren’t planning anything special anyway, gas and food prices will not affect our plans at all. However, we will be using more gas than I would like because we are going to help a friend move some furniture from a cabin that was damaged in a storm. The vehicle is a gas guzzling SUV. Helping friends takes precedence over excessive gas prices.

May 23, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  70. Tom, Avon, Maine, The Heart of Democracy

I was going to take the long weekend off, but in light of the fix we're in I'm going to write to folks in Montana, Puerto Rico, and South Dakota on behalf of Senator Obama, or is it really on behalf of America?

If we get Obama in the White House, he'll work long weekends and I'll take them off.

May 23, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  71. Pam Huber from Virginia

My family, just two of us, can't hardly afford to buy the gas to go to work, much less, travel! We eat chicken at least two times a week, because it is one of the cheapest things you can buy. I blame the congress and senate for all our "fuel woes!" I think they are just plain stupid! It is up to us as indivudals, to cut down on our fuel consumption. People must realize there is not going to be a "magic fix", fuel prices are never going back to 2-something a gallon ever again. Hey, if anyone knows some good ways to prepair chicken, please let me know. It sure is getting old!

May 23, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  72. Johnny Garcia, NY

The soaring food and gas prices aren't really going to make a difference in my Memorial Day weekend. I'm just gunna take it easy this weekend as usual. I'll probably work on my English paper and play some video games later on. Thank God I'm only 15 years old : ). I dont have to worry about gas, food prices or mortgages; not yet at least. I'll just leave all of that to my parents. lol

May 23, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  73. THOMAS, THE VIKING FROAM NORWAY

by the way am going to thailand this winter and that air line ticet coast 2400 dollars and that is only the ticket!!!

May 23, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  74. Kevin in Mass

It will be burgers and hotdogs this year instead of steak and lobster. The motorhome will be parked in our back yard instead of the campground. We will all sit and watch the travel channel for that vacation expierience.

May 23, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  75. Jim, Winston Salem NC

No Jack, we'll just walk up to the Mickey D's and have our usual cheeseburger and senior drink......$2.97 for the two of us. We save starting the car and real food for special events. We seniors on fixed income are just rolling in it. How long until January 20th 2009?

May 23, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  76. David,San Bernardino,CA.

As a Vietnam veteran,I go to a memorial ceremony for fallen military personnel. It seems that going out and wasting gas is more important than honoring and remembering the ones who sacrificed their lives to make it all possible. We say support the troops,but we really don't.

May 23, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  77. Linda Punturieri

My husband and I are both working, but if we weren't I wouldn't be grilling any steaks. Can't afford them anymore. Even hotdogs aren't cheap. I'm getting more and more depressed about the cost of everything. The only thing that is still resonably priced in NH is liquor. Thank goodness I pass a liquor store on my way home from work. That's the only thing that is keeping me from wanting to throttle everyone from the big oil CEO's and this crappy Bush administration. There are all sorts of aternatives to heat our homes, but do you think that the government or heaven forbid, oil companies would help the common middle class familty to convert or enhance their existing systems? The upfront costs are terribly prohibitive that we might as well just burn the house down a room at a time for heat. Would that cause a foreclosure????

May 23, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  78. Bill in New London, CT

When a tank of gas costs me 58 bucks, I think I'll stay home, watch CNN, and keep hoping this Democratic nomination joke is over in time for us to beat McCain. If we elect the Republicans again, it won't be long before large corporations own the air and we pay to breath!

May 23, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  79. Peter Pan Fairview, Texas

The economy does not change Memorial Day. We need to remember what Memorial Day is all about.

Memorial Day began as a memorial for Civil War veterans. It has become both, a National Decoration Day of family graves, and the holiday that opens the summer season. It is celebrated with backyard barbecues, outdoor picnics, and parades.

Some will celebrate the lives they shared with those no longer with us. Those that fought and died for our freedom.
    Memorial Day is a time to remember those that gave the greatest sacrifice. Their lives so that others could be free to enjoy theirs.

My plans will be the same as they have always been. I will go to the cemetery and pay respect to those that the holiday was intended for.
    Remembering those that have sacrificed so much costs nothing.

May 23, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  80. Richard Sternagel

I'm one of millions who will stay at home and grill hot dogs and hamburgers!

May 23, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  81. Staci from Nashville, Tn

Jack, thanks to who they voted for for 8 years, a lot of us will be staying home, and now they want McCain, good luck.

May 23, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  82. Gail- NYC

I live in New York and was supposed to be at my cousin's wedding tomorrow in Florida, but couldn't afford the plane fare; over $400 roundtrip!! Are they nuts?

May 23, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  83. Mike from Clayton, CA

In an effort to eliminate the root of all evil, I'm going to eliminate all of my money by sticking to my vacation plans.

May 23, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  84. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Soaring gas and food cost will not affect my Memorial Day weekend as long as someone else is paying.

May 23, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  85. Dave in Astoria

My dog and cat are going to be expected to share again. I did give my cat a hair-cut and let my dog play with a local skunk ( the whole family is paying for that one ) so they know who controls the food dish. hint: add some warm water and some bullion cubes to Dog Chow and salt as needed.

May 23, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  86. jeffrey epstein

Hi Jack,
    Keep fighting for honesty.
    I would suggest you spend more time researching and wondering out loud why our legislators have REJECTED over 14 times searching for oil and gas in the US and the waters around the US? I understand only about 15% of our waters allow exploration. Let's not emphasize inane ideas like suing the Saudi"s or eliminating gas taxes for the summer. Really dumb ideas! How about explaining that gas in Saudi Arabia is only 50 cents, but in Europe and Scandinavia, it is as much as $9.00 per gallon!
    How about putting pressure on the legislators to pass some laws allowing the oil companies to use their massive profits for US exploration.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

May 23, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  87. sandy in Ohio

Yes! we will be staying home now . We were planning to visit our daughter but the gas for that trip now would cost over $100, so I hope it's true that absence makes the heart grow fonder. With soaring prices we may be forced to move in with her.

May 23, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  88. ERIKA IN PA

Well Jack I'll tell you this hoilday weekend my family and I will be staying home. We can't afford to go anywhere with $3.85 a gallon for gas. I need to save whatever gas I do have to get me to work on Tuesday! However, I'm sure I will be entertained watching Hillary on TV making a fool out of herself!

May 23, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  89. Praetorian, Fort Myers

The only thing that's even close to the same price as last year–is the watermelon and fried chicken for our picnic. The local community park is closed (city leader's sold it to developers to build high-rise condos for the rich and famous winter guests) so we'll just do the back yard thing.

May 23, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  90. Jan from Ohio

Mark K in Kalamazoo, TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!

I'll pay for the gas!!! Just got my "stimulous" check so I guess I can afford to fill at least ONE gas tank!!! What better way to go than on the back of a Harley?

My plans won't change, Jack! Still have my weinies, chips & a chilled 12 pk. of Lite!!!

Happy Memorial Day Weekend, Jack & EVERYONE (yes, even you, Clintonistas!!)!!!

May 23, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  91. Rita Caldwell

It's going to be a stay-at-home holiday – no money for gas. But more importantly, who's causing all these prices to soar? In listening to the Senate investigations with the top oil companies – all the oil personages say – to a man – let us drill in Anwar. Are they causing this to scare us into letting them drill in the Anwar? This sounds as if they are trying to blackmail us to allow them to do just that and they will keep the gas prices rising until we do allow it. What do you think, Jack?

May 23, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  92. Chryssa

This weekend will be like any other. I'll stay in town, try not to eat out, and make detailed errands lists to avoid excessive driving. Fun.

Boise, Idaho

May 23, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  93. Ellen in Madison WI

No change in plans. Here in Madison Wisconsin we'll do what we always do (aside from "communing with Satan" according to Bill O'Relly). We'll see how many brats we can eat at "The World's Largest Brat Fest". After all we have to beat last year's world record of 200,000. Why would we want to go anywhere else? The best part is that we get served by our government officials. Oh wait, maybe we will be communing with Satan after all. No matter...did I mention that there's also lots of beer?

May 23, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  94. Mary - California

If you are a resourceful American, you can do anything! We are going through many changes and we may not like them, but in order to survive, we have to adjust. I have plenty to do over the long weekend and can still save on gas and food.

May 23, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  95. Richard M Razza

After every president leaves office they build a library in his name. George Bush did such a terrible job leading this country that I feel he should pay for his own library if one is to be built in his name. By the way, who would want to read a book about George Bush unless you wanted to know what not to do if you become president of the United States.

Rich from Waterburuy, CT.

May 23, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  96. Mari, Salt Lake City, Utah

NO, our plans are still on. We conserve fuel each day by driving fuel-efficient cars. Since I am a homemaker/volunteer/etc., I choose not to drive two days a week. Wish everyone would not drive and take public transportation just ONCE a week ........... and SEE the price of gas drop!

ITS SUPPLY AND DEMAND, PEOPLE! Conserve, get rid of those BIG-SUV's and you will see how the price goes down. But we, Americans, will have to learn the lesson of conservation the hard way. Oh well.

May 23, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  97. Raj, Toronto

Now whats a holiday without tasty food? You can still enjoy this pleasure because there is not a significant added expense to a meal you have once a year. However, just don't drive 500 miles for a one day trip, enjoy your day at home or on main street and explore your community with your neighbors and express the emotions associated with this special occasion which is the true reason for your day off.

May 23, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  98. Mary

All I ever hear about is the rising gas prices.Has anyone heard of these huge companies and even smaller ones offering to give their employees raises to meet the rising costs? It seems to me we spend trillions on everything else but nothing to the average worker.I don't mean a free ride but pay scales have got to start matching these extra costs.Ceos' make thousands some even millions,but what does the average secretary or common worker make to pay for their salaries.They talk about these high prices in the rest of the world but don't mention they pay them better and give them health care.We get no extras just more costs.

May 23, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  99. Mike, Syracuse NY

Jack, I'll be sitting on the deck drinking a NYS wine and eating steak. Once Obama gets elected my taxes will go up so much I won't be able to afford either.

May 23, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  100. Julie from LA

Gas here in California is already over $4.00 a gallon. The trip I'd planned to visit my family this weekend is just too expensive, especially with food and utility costs increasing, too..

I've pretty much eliminated ALL unnecessary driving, and will be staying home this weekend. (Definitely no air travel this summer either).

May 23, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  101. John from Chicago

Jack I really regret buying this hummer..

May 23, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  102. Antonia in Bristol Virginia

Rather than spend Memorial Day in bed with my covers pulled up over my head dreading what will happen when gas hits $5. I figure sometime around the time diesel hits $5.00, there will be a lot less truckers bringing food to us out way out here in the country.

Instead of getting short of breath from a familial panic attack, we decided to attend a get out the vote barbecue in support of Barack Obama. I hope I can be part of registering new voters and I pray that Senator Obama is as talented as I want him to be and that he's able to win the election in November.

May 23, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  103. Marjorie

Jack,I stopped eating two moths ago.
    Marjorie
    NY

May 23, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  104. Stephanie from Atlanta

Prior to these gas and food crises, the general decline in wages, as well as increases in cost of living, and health care already forced our family to give up celebrating the minor holidays four years ago. If things continue in this manner, Halloween and Thanksgiving will likely be the next holidays that we are forced to celebrate in name only.

May 23, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  105. Steve

For me, Memorial Day week-end has always been stay at home to watch the Indy 500 and old war movies on TV. By the way– Indy Car fuel economy– 5 miles per gallon of ethanol.

May 23, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  106. Steve

Jack we are going to party like it is 1999. out here in the West Texas town of El Paso, we are used to paying a lot for not much. if we are not getting taxed by the Fed's the city and county fathers make sure that they get the money in some fashion.

I paid $3.59 per gallon today, so I guess I should feel real fine. therefore party like it is 1999.

May 23, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  107. Greg ...Cabot AR

As a Marine Corps vet that served in Viet Nam.... that comes from a family that has served in every war since Pearl Harbor... including a son currently in Iraq, my wife and I will opt for burgers on the grill instead of steak so we can attend the Memorial Day service and pay honor the those that can't be here to complain about the high cost of gas and food..........

May 23, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  108. Patricia

I wanted to fly to a family reunion in MN but even if I could afford to fly, I'd have to worry about whether my flight would be canceled at the last minute due to all the cut-backs and mergers. No, I'll be planting a few flowers in the yard and cooking for my grown kids who can't afford to go anywhere, either.

Boise, ID

May 23, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  109. Janice, Aberdeen, SD

I'm saving money by going to a free BBQ hosted by one of the political campaigns.

Might be the only thing we get out of them.....

May 23, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  110. Tiffeany

Jack,

My husband and I are just going to rest at home. Gas is getting to be ridiculous. Usually we get invited to barbeques but all of are friends are deciding to do the same thing because of the high price of food and gas prices.

La Mesa, CA

May 23, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  111. Jayne in NH

We're putting in the Victory Garden this weekend and will only need gasoline for the tiller. By August you'll be begging me for a $5 tomato!

May 23, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  112. Bob from Richmond VA

Hot dogs and burgers instead of steaks, maybe an hour or two less running the boat. But we will still enjoy our holiday, after all it is all about the family time.

May 23, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  113. AndyZ Fairfax, VA

Jack, I;m going surfing over the week end. Yup, paid my cable bill and I'll be channel surfing all week end. That's about all I can afford.

May 23, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  114. C.Jones

Jack;

We're staying home....maybe we should utilize our time learning Spanish & Chinese.

I remember when GWB took office in 2000. He spent the biggest part of the first 8months on "vacation.".......why doesn't he do middle-class America a favor and take the LAST 8 months OFF, TOO!?

ARE YOU BETTER OFF THAN YOU WERE 8 YEARS AGO?

May 23, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  115. Rick PA

Gas and food prices has everyone staying near home. I heard on an earlier broadcast today that the United States does not have a seat at the G-8 table. To me it seems the G-7 has sanctions on the United States. Decades of government corruption is causing this. I am not an advocate of NAFTA but the reality is we are to dependent on other nations.The world is watching this election and is important to vote on issues not on fear and distraction. We are on the verge of isolation from the world economy. We the people need to start opening our eyes.

May 23, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  116. Rex in Portland, Ore.

Bah, Humbug!

May 23, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  117. Winston in Berrien Springs, MI

With soaring gasoline and food prices so ridiculous, I decided to take your advice Jack and kill two birds with one stone. I'm going downtown and eat the first Exxon station I can find. I hope I don't get gas.

May 23, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  118. Bill,Quarryville. PA

We plan to stay at home and barbecue hot dogs and hamburgers that were on sale at the store and use a charcoal grill instead of a gas grill.

May 23, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  119. Don Dyer

Not going anywhere, staying home and enjoying a visit from our son.

May 23, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  120. brent from Texas

Honey, let's do it at home for a change....memorial day, that is.
    It just isn't worth $100 to get there and then go out.....

May 23, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  121. Jason, Koloa, HI

Jack,
    Our Barbeque at the beach will be a BBQ in the back yard. We should just call a backyard Barbeque a BUSHBQ from now on, since thanks to him that's now the only place most Americans can afford to do it.

May 23, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  122. garrick

hi jack
    gas prices has hurt everything we do and even the cookout this year will change from steaks and ribs to hotdogs and hamburger.we are just thankful to still be able to cookout this year.wonder what cow Bush will be killing fore his feast.maybe we should all show up to the White House to eat.
    clearwater,fl

May 23, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  123. Steven (Galesburg, IL)

Forget Memorial Day weekend, the rising price and falling supply of gas is going to effect the rest of my life. There's absolutely no indication that gas prices are ever going to get significantly lower, and all signs point to an exponential rise. Memorial Day aside, Americans need to start seriously considering their lifestyles and their effect on the environment.

May 23, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  124. Sherri

Reading these comments makes my heart go out to middle and lower income America. I live in BC Canada where the price of gas is currently 1.37 per litre, about 5.48/gal. And our provincial govt is going to start taxing us an additional .025 cents/litre, .10 cents/gal in July. So I understand where you are all coming from. We have to curtail our travelling as well.

But our food prices haven't yet started to soar, but it is coming. Where I live, there are more jobs than people so everyone can work. I hear the stories where many Americans try so hard to find work and just have no luck. I pray that things for your country turns around soon.

Sherri from Victoria

May 23, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  125. Daisy

Yes, it has. I won't be traveling to see my grandsons this year. It is sad to think in a country as great as ours we have to make choices of seeing our loved ones and buying medicine and food!! I hope things get better so when my grandsons are grown they won't have to make these hard choices. By the way gas here is 4.09. Hope everyone has a Great weekend.

Daisy

IL

May 23, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  126. Jerry Roselle, Illinois

Jack

I plan to go to the local baseball park this weekend, as they
    have the traveling " Vietnam Memorial Wall" on display, and
    say a little prayer.

May 23, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  127. Deb from Lancaster, PA

We certainly feel as though our options are more limited. No long road trips this holiday weekend.

But we live in a beautiful place, have a great yard, and we're going to grill up some chicken I got on sale, whip up some potato salad from potatoes that were on a BOGO (buy one, get one free), and go to the local pool if the weather cooperates. Maybe take a hike at a park close by. And the entire day, I'll think of my late father who served in two wars and taught me how to love this country.

Sounds like a perfect weekend to me. Hope yours is also.

May 23, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  128. da in pc

not a bit ,Jack. Like many others I'll be working @ a local hospital. So many other can visit the ER's and enjoy the holiday. Wonder what gas prices will have on brocken bodies?

May 23, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  129. Quinton Pierce

My plans will not change. I will still be at home looking for a job over the internet in a job market that only wants slave labor in terms of wages.(and I graduated the top of my class) The highlight of the weekend will be going to Wal Mart to spend my stimulus check to buy sardines , potted meat, and crackers in order to survive the rest of the month. Thanks alot Bush and Cheney for continuing to ship jobs overseas through NAFTA! Come again. shop here often..

Quinton in San Antonio

May 23, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  130. Bruce St Paul MN

Food and fuel are the most visible culprits right now, but they are only part of the large longer trend of our eroding quality of life. Stagnant or falling wages for those who still have jobs, rising heating costs in the winter, rising local and property taxes to offset federal and state cutbacks. Even if gas prices receded, the rest of the picture would still be grim. We are turning into a nation of have-nots. More than my weekend has changed. How about retirement, kids' college costs, etc, etc, etc? I will not be driving this weekend, but I will cook on the grille. (What's the price of tofu, and will it fall through the slats?) I will also spend some time thinking about the 4000 who gave their life to protect our access to oilfields.

May 23, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  131. Alan, Buxton, Maine

I was planning to stay home and mow my lawn anyway but since I haven't received my rebate check yet I can't afford the gas to run my lawnmower.

May 23, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  132. Vi

jACK: I am going to stay home and finish reading your fantastic book. I will think about the military who gave their lives for this day.
    I will watch TV to see what new excuse Hillary will come up with. I will have a strong cocktail – fall asleep and dream that Hillary will soon be gone. You enjoy your holiday weekend with your family. Keep up the good work. on 'cafferty file'.

May 23, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  133. Hubert Bertrand

To me this day is for the dead.I have plenty. So I will go to church, I might go see my kids that live near by. They will have a bash. As long as they have money,They will have a good time. Thats all they care about

May 23, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  134. William from Sanford, NC

Jack, high gas and food prices will not effect my thoughts and prayers for the soldiers who have served this country. I fail to see how excessive gas consumption and pigging out honors these brave people. I will spend this weekend at home eating a baloney and cheese sandwich while I think about the freedoms I have that our heros have died for.

May 23, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  135. JW Georgia

I've stopped dating, don't use the air conditioner, don't turn on the heater, sit in the dark, don't go anywhere, don't visit the doctor or dentist, and am going to turn off the TV as soon as I see that you once again will skip over my comment in favor of that really stupid comment from Scranton.

May 23, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  136. Karen-Phoenix

I bought a Kia Spectra 2 years ago. Boy am I glad. I live in AZ and want to retire next year (I'll be 65). I havn't seen my kids in IL for over 9 years and was going to drive to IL next summer for a couple months stay with them. Now that is even on hold. Even in a Kia to travel from AZ to IL on a fixed income is crazy. Bet McCain gets to see his kids all the time. I was a republican but after what this administration has done to us, and NOT just the gas costs, I will NEVER vote republican again!!! Go Obama 08 Bush/McCain have almost destroyed the great American Middle Class. Obama will help us back up!!

May 23, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  137. Ted, Beaverton, OR

Did you know that pound for pound, gas is now more expensive than Bratwurst? I relish to think about how I'll be eatinig probably 45-55 miles worth of gas this weekend. Pass the onions and mustard please....

May 23, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  138. Mike

Jack,

First time in my life on memorial day weekend, at 4.00 pm on friday when I am suppose to head out for beach, I am watching you and wolf sitting on my couch eating chips ahoy!!! You need not know more.

May 23, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  139. Debbie

Well, instead of going to the inlaws this weekend my husband will be working overtime to pay for the $200 a week it cost to fill both of our cars with gas and th $900 a month it costs to feed our small family of 4. Sounds like a great weekend for us.

May 23, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  140. Carol

It depends on if I get my stimulus check tomorrow or not. I was supposed to receive it today. At any rate, I won't be going any farther than the local park.

May 23, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  141. Drew

No....I'll be working at the wonderful Jimmy Buffett restaurant in Bloomington all weekend...just so I can buy gas!!

May 23, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  142. Sue

Instead of boating or barbecue I'll be planting an extra row of potatoes. Can't afford to buy it, growing it is better for you anyway.

May 23, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  143. Ling Cullen

The man who owns the basement suite I rent has raised the price of my monthly payment by 300 dollars. His reason: the rising costs of living. Not only are home and vehicle owners hit by these high prices, like some people seem to think. Its single moms, the disabled, and even students like myself who will be worrying about things beyond our long weekend plans.

May 23, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  144. Susan from Marysville, WA

It's affected us so much that we plan to actaully work this week-end!

May 23, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  145. Tom Bodnar

My wife and I were not planning a trip and planned a barbeque at home. We were more concerned with the truck drivers delivering our food to the grocery stores. Since we know that trains cannot back up to grocery stores, high gas prices makes us wonder how soon the grocery stores will not have food.

May 23, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  146. Joe C

What plans? with gas prices so high instead of traveling spending time with my family i will spending my time watching great programs such as yours and doing lawn work. Joe, Johnson City TN

May 23, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  147. Tjaye, Los Angeles

To be honest Jack, the gas prices are a good reason to stick around the house and cook, play games and enjoy for less. However, with it being Memorial Day and us being in the midst of a terrible war, I really don't feel like celebrating with a bar-b-cue that never even acknowledges those soldiers we are to be remembering. I think we'd do better remembering the young men and women laying their lives down today. I doubt most of them will be slurping on ribs and potato salad this weekend.

May 23, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  148. Lee

Jack,
    Yes, I've altered my Memorial day cookout destination. When do we eat?

May 23, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  149. George Lynn - Michigan

Jack,

The money crunch didn't start this month. Soaring gas and food prices won't effect my plans for Memorial Day, I don't have any! I have had to cut back on so many essentials, that I knew better than trying to make any special plans. My plan is to stay home, thank God for the military that defends our freedom and have a hot dog.

George – Clarkston, MI

May 23, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  150. Bill

This old Soldier will just stay home... My GAS TAX is to keep my money in my pocket... I wish every American will decide not to drive any where one day out of every week for the next six months... No cars on the road...

I bet the cost of gas would still go up to maintain the profits that oil companies currently enjoy...

Jack, what do you think?

May 23, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  151. Maurice Ribble

The gas prices don't mean a thing to me. I save my money and spend 5 months in the valley of Texas each year. The real problem is you are still on TV when I am in texas.

Morrie

May 23, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  152. Bill Sowder

Oh, for sure, it will affect my family's Memorial Day weekend....our's will be quite a bit more limited as to where we can go and what we can eat, whereas the oil companies will be able to "Travel in Style" and eat "High on the Hog"....AGAIN!

May 23, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  153. Rick Cairns Swarthmore, Pa

Jack,
    Two months ago I intended to take the family to the shore this weekend as our college student would be out of school. As a self employed contractor who carries a thousand pounds of tools, public transportation is not an option, and due to gas prices my daily expenses have skyrocketed. So I'll be working Saturday and Monday.
    I think maybe on Sunday, I'll take my white, male, middle class working " feet " out and register voters for Obama.

May 23, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  154. Rob, Tri-Cities, WA

Jack, like many Americans I'll have to stay home this holiday and hope that I'll have enough money to afford the gas to mow the lawn. One thing is for sure. The Bush Administration's War on Tourism has been a smashing success.

May 23, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  155. Drew

My plans will remain the same.....I'll be working at the wonderful Jimmy Buffett restaurant in Bloomington all weekend.....just so I can buy gas!!

Drew in Bloomington, IN

May 23, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  156. Stacey Williams

What plans??

May 23, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  157. Al Colligan

No I will not travel at all With all those prices you cited as going up, thought you might comment on average take home pay which hasn't gone up in 10 years and what did go up was consumed by fuel and health insurance or did that not affect you. Not one newscaster has ever commented on how pay has not kept up with rising prices. Could that be a coincidence.

May 23, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  158. peter benton

Jack,
    I'm going to stay home and do some study of recent world history so that I might gleen some understanding of why we find ourselves in the mess we are currently experiencing.
    I'v adready made some progress. I would like to share .
    "Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." – Benito Mussolini.

May 23, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  159. Damian

JC,

I plan on looking into alternative energy sources (solar, wind) as well as fully electric autos or conversions to end the oppressive energy policies this country's government seems hellbent on continuing. Ignoring the very real and very viable alternatives while backing those that where known they would fail, i.e. ethanol.

May 23, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  160. elpidio

We had a plan to go to florida for my kid birthday. Now I have to a plan because of the price of gas. I can not see my kid face because he keep ask me why this will happen to him on his birthday

May 23, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  161. omar in new york

fortunately I live in New York City, where mass transit rules the day so no concern about gas prices. As far as eating like a pig this weekend, where is it written that we have to stuff ourselves until we explode on a day we should be remembering those who died in past wars? please stop whining. thank you.

May 23, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  162. ED in RI

It's simple Jack. I'm working the entire 3 day weekend, and fortunately, my job is only 4 miles away. Sounds like fun.
    ES

May 23, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  163. Paul of Virginia

I’m a Korean and Vietnam veteran. This Memorial Day is a day of sadness for me. I pray that the President is sad also.

May 23, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  164. Ted Sagester

Jack,

We are Americans, we are not going to change our plans that would be ridiculous. We will continue to go on vacation and spend more than we can afford and just keep running up credit card debt. It is no wonder we have an economy falling apart we can not take care of our own finances let alone elect people that can take care of a countries. This is exactly why this country is in debt. The next bail out will be for consumers with too much credit card debt. People need to wake up and take responsibility for themselves and stop wanting the government to bail them out for their own over spending.

Ted
    Columbus, OH

May 23, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  165. Jack

Question is, how will the high prices affect the oil company fat cats. What beach or yacht will they spend their holiday on.

And the fat cats from Washington, will be wined and dined by special interest groups, free travel, free gold, the good life.

One word: REVOLUTION!!! It's way past time. Working America will be riding bicycles, and wearing those little round straw hats.

What the oil companies are doing to this country is treason. No one needs to attack us. Corporate America is defeating us.

May 23, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  166. Single with Savings in Maine

Either I'm naive or this crunch everyone is talking about hasn't hit me. I'm single and make very decent money. Gas nor food is an issue. Maybe I don't need a husband and/or kids, looks like those are the people with the gripes... Either way, I've got my plans for the weekend; flying is cheaper than a road trip. Well, maybe not for entire families. *smirk*

May 23, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  167. Drew, Central FL

Not much at all, Jack. Once "W" said he hadn't heard about gas going to $4 a gallon, I knew it was coming to pass. I've been planning on staying close to home all summer.

May 23, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  168. Rh in DC

Well sorry everyone, the gas prices and food prices aren't impeding my holiday plans. BBQ, Beer and all the fixings plus traveling.

May 23, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  169. debbie m

Well thanks to Bush's buddies; our family has changed our plans to take a road trip to San Diego. Plans were for me to run a marathon (6mths of training down the tubes) and visit an amusement park with the kids. While we stay home and try do a budget bbq, I am sure his oil buddies will be eating well at thier swanky bbq!

May 23, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  170. Debbie in Illinois

The domino effect hasn't hit us.....yet. We are both recently retired and holding our own thanks to great financial planning. We are lucky in that regard. Unfortunately many are not thanks to the present administration.

May 23, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  171. Rayshaun

Jack,

Well what ever I decide to do i can't go any further then I can walk with gasonline prices soaring like they are.

May 23, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  172. zig

Everything you touch, buy, sell or "eat" is affected by the increase in oil and the food basics. So, you may sit at home for the holiday, but you are and will continue to foot the increased costs. The taxpayer is in for a long costly summer. So, put another hot dog on the grill and pass a beer. Enjoy....

May 23, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  173. joemash

I'd take a ride to the beach...if i could coast all the way!! Never really recovered from getting laid off from a high tech company who built plants in China and loves H1B visa folks. Now i buy powered milk for my coffee and mix a little Hazelnut in it for taste. We bake our own white bread and breakfast is English muffins – store brand. My 'bumper sticker' now is Free Hemp! Free Enterprise! Free America! Using food for fuel – idiotic!! So everyone who reads this, write a letter to your government telling them to stop with the superstitions and allow farmers to grow Hemp...again. Look it up! You'll find it has many uses.

May 23, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  174. Lindell in Delaware

Don't plan on going anywhere, Jack.

May 23, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  175. jack, phoenix, az

No, we are going to a resort for 2 days and expect to party and do poolside. I would guess we would be considered in the upper middle income bracket of the population. Gas prices are high but well within our reach for trips. Our SUV gets 20-26 mpg, a reasonable range for 250 HP.

May 23, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  176. Bridge

Jack, hello from Chicago where regular gas is ONLY 4.29 a gallon in our regular middle class neighborhood (4.49 for regular about three miles away).
    Gas prices have turned into an invisible fence around our city. Oh yeah, and Jack- if folks voted for Hillary in the primaries do they get a COUPON for her gas-tax-holiday for this summer? No? Well, what if they voted for McCain? I guess the pandering finally panned out for us all to see that neither should have made a promise they clearly couldn't keep.

May 23, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  177. Darryl

I plan to get some house work completed, read a book, watch television and ponder how much longer the American public is going to put up with high gas prices, before they begin dragging Oil Company Execs from their ivory towers and use them for our holiday BBQs.

May 23, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  178. Dennis from Phoenix

Since I'm not a rich wealthy Republican elitest who sells oil or one who engages in futures trading of oil on the stock market, I'll be keeping things very simple this Memorial day.

May 23, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  179. Laura

The price of fuel isn't changing my plans... but only because I based my budget on 15 miles to the gallon and 5 miles per gallon. I'm still hoping I might have a bit left over. I'm a hopeless optimist.

May 23, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  180. Living la vida in LA

Not at all, my income hasn't changed, it has actually gone up, I bought a house I can afford (and have no plans on moving out of in either the near or distant future) on a 30 year fixed and my company pays my gasoline bill. SO, I will count my blessings and enjoy the holiday weekend driving to my friend's BBQs and shopping the sales!

May 23, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  181. Johnny B. Good

I cut out the Starbucks , I cut out all paid TV 100%, I drive 60 MPH now on the highway, I NOW have my power bill under $100 a month. I watch every cent now everywhere.

But, this has allowed me to eat like I wish at home and still have gas money to go where I want, plus some left over to not fret.

May 23, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  182. Neatha

Yes! We have not had a steak on the grill in months, have you seen the cost. As for gas, we cancelled our trip to the lake this weekend and it will be hamburgers on the grill. There has to be a break point, right? A point at which it just gives way, a point at which the average person can't do it anymore. We make less as a couple now than we did 8 years ago, however our cost of living has just continued to climb. What will it take?

May 23, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  183. Christine in Natchez, Mississippi

What Memorial Day plans. My plan is to now wash and wax my sports car and admire it from the patio while I sip on my over priced beer.

May 23, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  184. Bob, Rome NY

Won't affect me at all. Because of the soaring gas and food prices I didn't make any plans.

May 23, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  185. Lani

My lifestyle change (at least as far as travelling on the weekends) changed months ago, when bridge toll increased in the Bay Area. My closest of family and friends are 60 miles and two bridges away from me. So I slimmed down on my visits. As far as Memorial Weekend, I'll do what I normally do: send a silent prayer to my late grandfather. No special foods or destinations.

May 23, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  186. Malachi of Pennsylvania

Hi Jack,
    Instead of going down to the shore, I will get together with other family and friends so we can have a new kind of cookout. Everybody will be required to bring something but the difference is everyone will be required watch how much they eat so everyone can get a plate. If you want to come Jack you have to bring the ribs... Lol

May 23, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  187. Steve

We're going to stay home and just cut back. When they figure inflation costs they should take into account the cost of the trip to get the groceries. This is starting to tear at the fabric of modern society. That's just what the Saudi's want, is for us to go backwards.

May 23, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  188. James Martin

Jack, I'm broke, being evicted Tuesday, and unable to get another place to live or even drive my car away from the home I'm being evicted from. All due to the economy. Does that answer your question?

May 23, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  189. Steve in California

My family's tradition of lighting the grill with 3 gallons of gasoline will probably change. I sure will miss the huge black mushroom cloud of half-burned fuel rising into the sky from our backyard. it just doesn't seem right to light coals for 8 bucks worth of chicken with 12 bucks worth of gasoline. Maybe this year I'll try some of that old paint thinner I have sitting in the garage. Nothing like the taste of petrochemicals in charred meat to set off the summer season! Mmmmmmm!

May 23, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  190. christine

Boy!! if I had a dollar for every time this question has been covered I may have some gas money...

May 23, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  191. Andrew Nier

I found a Ohama Steaks coupon for 70% off, so the freezer is stocked up and sitting pretty for Monday, the 4th of July, and Labor Day..... And my little roadster will be sitting pretty right where it spends most of its time these days... in the garage.

May 23, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  192. Big Rod

I'm going camping. I'll visit a veteran's memorial. I'll stop ranting about this infenal presidentail primary. I'll pray for my deceased father who served our country in the big war. Have a nice weekend Jack.

May 23, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  193. dc native

what holiday?? i haven't had a decent holiday in 7 years now thanks to our president. my plans are take advantage of anything that is FREE. if that doesn't pan out i will be home...saving money & gas to get to work after the holiday.

May 23, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  194. Joan Johnson

Our area of Florida is bombarded by tourists beginning this weekend, so we always stay at home and enjoy our pool.

May 23, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  195. Wayne

Yes, these prices affect me very much. I am 29 years SWM and make 31000 a year. It is not much but for just being by myself with no children I should be decently well off. I don't really understand how a normal guy like myself is supposed to survive with basic costs soaring as they are. When I can't support just me on little more than twice the minimum wage, how is a single mother supposed to survive? This is a sad state we are in. If your super poor, you get welfare, if your super rich, even these high costs won't affect you. And if your part of the middle class, you can't get aid AND you aren't rich, you pay through the nose for everything.

May 23, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  196. stephen richey-suttles

gas prices are high, but not enough to deter me from holiday plans. there are plenty of other ways to cut back... let us not take the fun out of the holiday just because we have to pay more for gas. $50 to fill up rather than $25? that is the price of a restaurant meal.

May 23, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  197. Gus from Akron

The price of groceries and fuel has really motivated me to start a strict diet to lose weight and save some money. So, a BBQ or anything similar is out of the question. Since I have to lose about 60 pounds, I guess I will be dieting for 6 to 8 months. I hope the price of groceries goes down by then.

May 23, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  198. Jim

We will stay home!
    Jim, Florida

May 23, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  199. Jennifer

I hope to be eating home-grown tomatoes, grilling out, drinking a few beers, mowing the grass, and weeding my flower beds (not in that order). I don't need to go out of my way to have a pleasant weekend.

As I try to find ways to become more self-sufficient and not make so many trips to the supermarket, I realize that many of the things we take for granted as conveniences have actually become costly liabilities in many of our lives.

May 23, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  200. Monty

I don't think we will have to worry about any other holiday either. I told a right wing leaning friend 8 years ago to watch out if oil man Bush gets in the Whitehouse our economy and especially gas prices will be changed drastically for the worse. I wish I hadn't been right. Bush removed tax from profits gained in the stock market so now you not only have OPEC & oil companies getting rich but you also have speculators raping us too. I think someone called this VODOO econonics once.

May 23, 2008 at 4:41 pm |
  201. Ed Estrada

We need all 50 states to get together and file a class action lawsuit against these oil barons for price goughing and collusion.These are internal terrorists who are hurting businesses and disrupting our way of life by doing this and greasing our elected officials.Another alternative is to tap into our reserves and saturate the market to lower prices.A third alternative is to drill for new sources although that may not sit well with eco friendly groups but there is not much of a choice.

May 23, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  202. Jacqueline

This weekend I will be praying for my son who is fighting in IRAQ.
    I will be praying for this world, which is in bad shape. I will be praying for my kids who have to do without . I will be praying for my family who is about to go through foreclosure. And no we wont be going anywhere because of the cost of everything around us. but i will be here with my family, loving them and praying it all gets better sometime real soon. GOD BLESS!

May 23, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  203. karen nelson

We are going to paint our spare bedroom and then watch it dry.

karen
    florida

where every election is a joke

May 23, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  204. Darren

Jack,

I will be staying home, going fishing with my boys and spending time with my family. I will use the high prices of everything to devote my time to virtually free activities that allow me and my family some quality instead of spending it in the car. A case of beer, fishing poles, and a short short drive to the nearest pond is all I need.

Darren in Minnesota

May 23, 2008 at 5:22 pm |
  205. Dana P

This has been a long time coming, and as clear as day, and we've all sat still for it. Time to telecommute, garden at home, walk for exercise and errands, vacation with our minds, and learn some new ways to live within our means. There's no time for more blame - enough of that to go around twice. But there's time to start thinking for ourselves and choosing better ways to do things. Why just believe what we're told?

May 23, 2008 at 5:22 pm |
  206. karen nelson

Actually, we are all better off being here with our high gas prices,
    lousy economy, idiotic polictians and you get the drill, than being over in those Godforsaken deserts where our young military hero's are fighting for our freedom to complain and call each other names.

They are the ones we should really be concerned about.

May 23, 2008 at 5:24 pm |