May 23rd, 2008

Kids donating $ from toys to politicians?

ALT TEXT

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Hillary Clinton is reminding voters about that 11-year-old Kentucky boy who sold his bike and video games so he could donate more than $400 to her campaign. And his parents let him do it. And she took the money.

After her win in Kentucky this week, Clinton once again thanked Dalton Hatfield, saying he helped her "carry the day" in his home state.

The New York Times caught up with 5th grader, who says he decided to donate to Clinton's campaign about two months ago when he saw she was running low on money: "I just saw so much that I did not need such as like my video games, and I thought, 'What can I do with them?'" So he sold his bike, video games and also collected other donations.

He says Clinton has "very good views on specific issues that are important to this election”, including the war, the economy and health care – all things that matter deeply to an 11-year-old.

Hatfield has since met with both former President Bill Clinton and Hillary. He says he was nervous about meeting Senator Clinton... but she told him that he'll "always have two friends, her and Bill." The elementary school student says he'd have to think about raising money for Obama, should he become the nominee... but as of now, probably not.

The story of a little kid selling his toys to donate money to a politician is the perfect way to end the week for the Cafferty File.
Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Judie writes:
Jack, Children are not old enough to vote and they sure are not old enough to sell the toys that their parents work hard to buy for them to give the money to a multi-millionaire politician. I think the parents of the boy who did this were just looking for their 15 seconds of fame. And isn't it beyond belief that the woman who is worth millions of dollars even took the money and then bragged about it while campaigning.

Cynthia writes:
More important than would you let your child, who would take it from a child?

Len from Colfax, Wisconsin writes:
Jack, I would under certain conditions. I would expect that it would be based on some level of understanding of what was going on and not just on superficial feelings. The child should have done some research about the candidate with reasons based on what was learned. The child would not need to agree with me and might, in fact, cause me to change my opinion.

Mike from California writes:
Are you kidding? After what the politicians have done to our kids’ future?

Jasmine from Germany writes:

Tom from Avon, Maine writes:
If the politician was down to her last hundred million, with fewer than six homes, I might.

C.T. from Bartlett, Illinois writes:
Probably not. My son, Jack (if I tell you he's named after you, would you put this on the air?) loves his toys. I would however let him sell them to give money to the "Cafferty for President" campaign.

1. A Kraft Naples, FL

are u kidding? there are much better things to use the money for...ie earthquake or cyclone victims or the poor and homeless in the USA..then I would be really proud of them

May 23, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  2. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

I can only quote Forrest Gump: "Stupid is as stupid does!"

Kids under 18 can't vote, so why should they pay? However, there's nothing wrong with the parents selling old toys that their kid doesn't play with, and donate that money to a campaign.

May 23, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  3. Lori in MI

Of course! Most kids have too many toys to begin with and it's great to get them active early on.

May 23, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  4. Joe in DE

It is good for childern to develope an intrst in politics. I would not encourage selling toys but it is a matter for each individual to deceide. There is no rigt or wron in this. I am afraid too many would make a judgeent on whether or not it was insupport of their canidate.

May 23, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  5. Paula in Albuquerque

Heaven's no! And, Mr. C, you know me well enough to know that I am not shy about voicing my opinions; my kids would get detailed object-lessons in the dangers of "falling for" the empty rhetoric, and outright lies of politicians...whichever side of the political spectrum they might come from! Reagan said something akin to what I mean...:'Trust', but 'verify'"...but hold-on to your money, and your scalp!

May 23, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  6. Jan Davis, Knoxville, TN

I find it a bit silly that a candidate would accept such a gift from a child as in the case of Hillary Clinton. She should buy that kid a new bike and tell him to enjoy it. Apparently, though, she kept the money, despite of her and Bill's millions. She must be really desperate for dollars!

May 23, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  7. Jed from Redding, CA

I think we forget what it's like to be starry-eyed innocent creatures who believe that people are fundamentally good, decent beings who look out for the best possible interests of all. If my kid wanted to sell his superman comics or her collectible barbies on ebay because he or she truly believes in the good and decent nature of a politician and the changes they will bring then who am I to tell them they can't do that.

But I think it would be better parenting to let them keep their toys and instead they can clean their room or wash the dishes and I'll take 20 bucks out of my own pocket and give it to their candidate of choice if they truly believe in what that person can accomplish.

May 23, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  8. frank in phoenix

Absolutely. Its the best way to reverse the cash flow from China back to the US.

May 23, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  9. Matt Callaway in Omaha, NE

On Barack Obama's website you must verify certain information about yourself before you're allowed to donate, including that you are at least 16 years old. A politician has to be pretty desperate to accept money from a kid who sold their toys to make money. If I had any, I'd let my children donate their allowance or chore money to charity, but not to support a politician. It's a nice gesture, but kids can't fully comprehend or analyze, on their own, the issues that one must take into account when deciding on which candidate to support.

May 23, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  10. Nuwan Sam

I would rather teach my kids to donate them to charity or sell them and help the needy instead of wasting it on these dirty politicians. Why would we teach our kids to sell their toys and help politicians who end up in high positions, enjoy all the luxeries and screw up this country while millions of people suffer because what they do. It is a completely illogical idea to me.

Nuwan from Houston, TX

May 23, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  11. Tina (Ft Worth)

Kids should be taught about raising money for the good of the people not to fill the cofers of some politican. Let them raise money to help rebuild New Orleans since our lovely politicans are sitting on their laurels and not doing a dang thing.
    Hope everyone has a safe Memorial Day!!

May 23, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  12. Perry J

must have been a democrat no one around to supervise the children

perry j
    council bluffs iowa

May 23, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  13. MD

Jack,
    This is fasinating. Hopefully these are kids who have way too much in the way of toys and games as it is. Although I could think of lots of other things this money could go to at this time (Homeless shelters, feed the hungry programs, etc.), truth is, it's up to the parents and the children to decide....

May 23, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  14. Mike - Pueblo, CO

Hello Jack,

Talk about a loss of innocence! I would let my kids donate money raised by selling their toys to politicians only if they were old enough to vote. If I bought my kids the toys originally, and they sold those toys to finance a politician, I would cut off the toy allowance!

Cheers,

Mike

May 23, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  15. sarah, Indiana

i would never allow my child to donate to a political campaign. i would encourage my son to save his money or donate the toys to a charity for kids, but i refuse to pay the bills for RICH politicians and i would not allow my child to either.

May 23, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  16. DMurphy

In a word....no!

May 23, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  17. Ron from Colorado

Sure, but only those toys painted with lead paint and labelled "Made in China."

May 23, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  18. Gordon Klopfenstein

At this point I don't care what they do with their toys. My 5 kids range in age from 38 to 50.

May 23, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  19. David Alexandria, VA

This is almost a form of child abuse. The younger ones would have no idea about the election or who/what they are supporting. They might be effectively forced to support their parents cause. Selling toys to give to a charity or simply giving them to other children through a charity. Kids can benefit from developing habits of giving without being pawns of a consitituency they may not even know. When you think of the vast amount of money already spent on this election in the face of so much need in our country and others, you have to wonder about our values. If parents think this is such a good idea, see if they would not buy their kids toys for their next birthday and try to explain that they are donating the money to some rich old, middleaged, white, black, man/woman they don't even know. That would be a great family discussion.

May 23, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  20. TYE

Average Americans are losing homes, and jobs are going out of this country even as we speak. Some experts on CNN still talk about Rev Wright, and Hillary's debt. To answer your question. Aaaaah NO!!! I understand of the people, for the people, and by the people. This child is giving money and a part of their childhood up for a politician who is giving up this same child's future ie: NAFTA, voting for war, not pushing for climate control, Soc Sec.

May 23, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  21. Dave from Veazie, ME

Jack,

I think I would be proud of them for wanting to get involved and trying to help in whatever way they can, but I would never let them part with something that brings them joy in order to give money to any politician and I would hope any politician would return any donation raised in such a manor. The fact is that most children aren't well informed enough to make their own decisions about a candidate to support anyway and simply go along with whatever their parents say. Taking money like this is literally taking candy from a baby, and should be seen as just as despicable.

May 23, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  22. Douglas -- Rochester, MN

No, children should not be doing this, and shame on their parents for falling for this political gimmick. A GOOD candidate should be able to raise enough money from those old enough to vote. A GOOD candidate should be able to “sell” their ideals, values, and political agenda to the voting public. Voters will donate money to a candidate that they believe-in; one that espouses their own moral principles. Candidates that are honesty and forthright, and show that they are willing to “do the right thing” (even though it may not be popular) are the ones who will convince voters that they are sincere, and will have no problem raising enough money to fund their campaign

May 23, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  23. Amy Kathleen

No. And I am somewhat skeptical of just who was influencing that poor child. In a time when there are major disasters in Asia, if I had a child that really wanted to make a difference, I would have them help out a charity, people who really need help, not a politician that already has millions.

May 23, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  24. Conservative Buyer -CA

Well you know there are different kind of political levels. In grade school level there are chapters that are headed in a political style organization.

I think at this level of political involvement should be more encouraged. The involvement leads to a more sense of self awareness allowing them to create a stronger stance on local issues. It also helps comprehension of more complex issues down the line.

To this regard, I'd certainly allow a limit of donations backed by a good cause.

May 23, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  25. Paul from Houma, Louisiana

Uhhh no. Especially when the politician is wasting the money and going into debt. She should have given the money back not encourage it. She's rich already and she needs to buy that kid some new toys.

May 23, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  26. Cookie South Dakota

What toys? With gas and food prices increasing by the day kids won't have any toys to play with or give away! No I would not allow it. Donate to a charity, not these bozos.

May 23, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  27. Frank From Selwyn

Hey multi millionaires taking money from kids and the disadvantaged is the American way and religous cults have been doing this since the beginning of time.

May 23, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  28. Mary Johnson

The nasty tone of some of the comments above are just bitter grapes.
    If the child wanted to donate money to Hillary Clinton I am sure his parents condoned it and supported him in his decision. After all, ultimitely its up to the parents. Mary from Sarasota, FL

May 23, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  29. Richard Canada

It would be perfect justice to send unsafe and unhealthy toys directly to a candidates campaign headquarters and let them liquefy the assets. The tax deduction is certainly worth the postage.

May 23, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  30. Major Michael in Lorton, Virginia

Jack: The old toys that are not working or functional I would.

May 23, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  31. Cynthia

More important than would you let your child – who would take it from a child?

May 23, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  32. TD

If were are going to teach our children about the political process of voting and being apart of the election campaign, seliing toys their toys is not the way. It ridiculous. How about have their schools create fundraising campaigns for the the candidate of their choice. This will encourage their interest in politics. After all they are our future leaders.

May 23, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  33. mitch martin arkansaw

no!with the obsession of the clintons and their supporters,to win at all costs,i'm afraid this practice will lead to these people,selling their children,when the toys are all gone....

May 23, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  34. Jenny, Boston

No, Jack I would not. I think that it is important to teach children about politics, however everything has a limit. I would encourage my child to donate the money to a local charity instead, which by the way the politician should have suggested the child to do.

May 23, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  35. Judie

Jack,
    Children are not old enough to vote and they sure are not old enough to sell the toys that their parents work hard to buy for them to give the money to a multi-millionaire politician. I think the parents of the boy who did this and gave the money to Bill Clinton for Hillarys campaign were just looking for their 15 seconds of fame. And isn't it beyond belief that the woman who is worth millions of dollars even took the money and then bragged about it while campigning. She should be ashamed of herself taking money from a child. Would I let my children do this NO WAY! I can see encouraging your children to donate to those less fortunate than themselves, but Hillary Clinton is not less fortunate than the majority of the citizens of the United States. Talk about taking candy from a baby........................., I thought politicians were supposed to kiss babies not take their pacifiers away from them.

Judie
    St. Augustine, Fl

May 23, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  36. Ruthie, GA

No. There are so many other organizations that need our help. With all the disasters that are going on around the world and here in American, I teach my kids about giving by helping people that are in desperate need. For Christmas, my kids give a new toy each to Toys For Tots. For Thanksgiving, they do a basket for a needy family. I have donated to politicians, but most of my donations go to people in need. I would not allow my kids to sell their toys for a political donation.

May 23, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  37. Tom - Las Vegas, Nevada

Not a chance, the politicians are already passing billions in debt on to future generations. I don't think my children should have to pay them now as well as paying for their decisions later.

May 23, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  38. Scott - Wichita, Kansas

No, the politicians should have a set amount given to them by the Government when they declare their candidacy. That way a lot of the mudslinging that goes on will be avoided, because they'll be a little more fiscally responsible, and learn to operate on a budget like the rest of us.

May 23, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  39. Harry

Actually the idea seems appropriate. Afterall the Chinese have been selling us toys for years and using the money to fund lobbyists to tell the our politicians what to do. It would be refreshing if the average Joe got to tell our politicians what to do instead of the makers of G.I. Joe.
    Maybe then the politicians would get the lead out, so to speak.

Harry
    Ky.

May 23, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  40. Terry in Hanover County

I'd rather see them sell their toys and donate money to charity than to any political campaign. Giving it to charities helps the underprivileged, something none of these candidates are, and it's tax deductible.

May 23, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  41. Mike

Are you kidding?
    After what the politicians have done to our kids future.
    Mike CA

May 23, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  42. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

The toys that were made in a foreign country I would let my kids send to a politician along with a letter telling them what I think of their foreign trade policies. Then I'd ask them for a refund.

May 23, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  43. Nora Corpus Christi Texas

Shame on the Clintons for taking the money from that little boy and shame on his parents for letting him sell his belongings for that purpose. Sure it got them a picture on tv and another story for Hillary to spin during one of her rallies. If they really wanted to feel good about something they should of let him sell his toys and feed some kids in the United States that will go to bed hungry tonight. This was not a feel good story, Kind of pathetic actually!!!

May 23, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  44. James in Cape Coral, FL

Jack,
    Their children! Children can no more understand their political beliefs than they can their religious beliefs. It's like when parents say "my children are christian", Not true. They are the children of christian parents but that's it. Just like in politics a childs beliefs are a direct reflection of the parent. I would support my child selling his/her toys to give money to a political campaign if they understood what they were donating to and had made that choice themselves as opposed to emulating my views on politics. It's no different then trying to sway a friend to believe the way you believe only with your children it's much easier to limit their ability for free ethical choice.

May 23, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  45. Gigi in Alabama

Since my youngest is 30 years old, I don't have a say in what they sell and how they spend their money. . . but if it were my grandchildren, I would tell them if they have to sell toys, they should put it in their piggy bank and try to help their parents pay for their college education. They way things are going, they will need all the help they can get to pay for it.

May 23, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  46. Chuck in Eugene Oregon

Jack, you must be kidding. I would never sell anything I have to donate to a candidate. My house hold is strapped enough because our political leaders have failed to protect us and our jobs. I also think it is a crying shame for any politician to knowingly accept any donations from a child. It's all goes along with that saying "taking candy for the hands of a child". that is just something that is not done.
    It is even worse to knowingly take it from a child that has sold his toys to do so.

May 23, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  47. Adam Mercer Oshawa, Ontario

Jack,

It says a lot about how desperate her campaign is for money if they are taking money from little kids. It is amazing that the little guy is that interested in politics, but his parents must be off their rockers.

May 23, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  48. Wayne in NH

I am all for kids raising money for a good cause and many do organize and help out hose in need. Forming good habits early in life is a great and is growing today because of the internet. They are learning about things we as children never had access to. But I do not consider that Hillary is really in need of kids selling their bikes. She should buy that kid a new bike.

May 23, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  49. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Only if the toys were made in China and sold back to them at a tremendous markup. Of course this is all of the toys now sold in the US and especially the ones with lead.

May 23, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  50. Dave in Astoria

Next thing you know, Clinton will be bragging about how some poor little boy or girl she met in a Bosnian fox hole gave her her flak jacket and kevlar helmet, while showing her how to bob and weave to avoid the sniper fire. Then she will reminisce about how some lower-middle-class child gave up his or her daily insulin injection so she can continue to tear down the "gender" barriers, AND the Democratic party. Truly sad!

May 23, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  51. Tom, Avon, Maine, The Heart of Democracy

May 23, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  52. Esther Cuyahoga Falls Ohio

ashame on his mother for allowing him to do that

May 23, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  53. Joy in Springfield, IL

I wonder how his parents feel knowing that their child is helping to pay Mark Penn's bills?

May 23, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  54. Sandi

Most 11 year old children I know don't even listen to the world news, makes me wonder if the parents were more motivated than the child. Maybe the parents need new bicycles and a computer. Hillary should not have accepted the money from the child for whatever reason. Of course,it makes for interesting stories.

May 23, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  55. Ken Deminick

Hillary should be ashamed of herself. It's like taking candy from a baby. She should have thanked the kid but refused the money.

May 23, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  56. Bill in New London, CT

If my kid sincerely wants to do that, and it is really her idea, then yes. I would never do anything to discourage my child from participating in our political system. Can we really have a democracy when less than half our population votes? I want to encourage my children to make a difference however they can - and if we got to meet Barack Obama, then that'd clinch it!

May 23, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  57. Terry in Fayetteville, NC

Sure... if the politician's was named Obama. It might mean the children know more about securing their future than a lot of short sighted adults that can't do grade-school arithmetic but manage to get re-elected year after year.

May 23, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  58. Aaron B.; Champaign, IL

What kind of an eleven year old does this? Seriously? Why in the world would he forsake his free time accessories for politics? Why would anyone for that matter, do such a thing?

That kid should be more worried about the girl next door, the future of the TV animation market, and his Junior High constitution exam than about health care...

May 23, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  59. Pam Huber from Virginia

Any politician who knowingly takes money from a child who has sold his toys should be "flogged" on national tv! That has got to be the lowest of the lows, but that is what politicans are!

May 23, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  60. George

I would let them sell my house, and all my belongings to get rid of the current administration, so guess my answer would be a resounding YES ! This child that sold his toys to send to Hillary Clinton has more moxie than most other Americans do, thats including all of the American types that are voting this time around.

May 23, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  61. DB - La Quinta, CA

No. I would teach my child to donate to worthy causes. The selfish ambition of a power-crazed megalomaniac is hardly a worthy cause. Come on, Hill. Give the kid his money back.

May 23, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  62. don in naples, florida

Lets not get sentimental about exploiting kids whether it be directly through monetary donations or indirectly through parents when it comes to all the products/advertising on the market geared toward kids. Hillary is losing, her campaign is out of steam, she will accept donations from any and all contributors.

May 23, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  63. Stephanie from Atlanta

If I had children, I'd let them sell their toys to feed starving children, care for abused animals, medical research on childhood diseases or some other similar cause that depends on donations to exist. I would not let them sell their toys to donate to rich people who have hundreds of millions of dollars in the bank, thereby perpetuating the notion that it's okay for the wealthy to milk the middle class.

May 23, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  64. Kevin in Mass

Did you not see their tax returns. I think anyone making millions should not be taking money from a poor working slob like me in order to better their lifes and in turn making mine more miserable.
    I 'll bet they wouldn't send me a donation to better my job. And no, my kids won't be sending any either.

May 23, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  65. Morad

The minimum age to vote is 18. Why not below? Because it is generally felt that a person is mature at that age to decide reasonably who he/she wants to support. To let kids who are not mature sell their toys for a politician they barely know or understand is just pure evil.

May 23, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  66. Janice, Aberdeen, SD

I'd let the child sell his toys and spend half the money as they wish, but I would have the child put half in a savings account for himself or herself in case the politicians fail to deliver.

May 23, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  67. Wendy. San Rafael, CA

Generally I would say yes as it is great to see kids excited about politics.

But to sell his toys for someone who has made about $109 million in the last few years and only needs the money to repay her debt, that I would not allow.

They should not have taken the money from him but rather thanked him and given him a signed photo or something that would remind him in the future of how raising that money made him feel.

May 23, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  68. BOB, VA

" … but she told him that he’ll “always have two friends, her and Bill.”
    – – that is until she throws in the towel and quits !
    Poor, poor Hatsfield, little did he know that his money went to buy doghnuts or to pay Mark Penn's obscene salary !!

May 23, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  69. Jayne in NH

I don't mind the kid deciding to sell his toys to donate to a politician, but I have a real problem with the politician accepting it. The Clintons might have taken 5 bucks to make their young donor feel good about his extremely charitable act, but they shouldn't have taken $400 from him. Once summer is in full swing Dalton might wish he had a bicycle after all.

May 23, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  70. Antonia in Bristol Virginia

I hope that my fifteen year old daughter will grow up to believe in sacrifice and public service.

However, I'd rather see her donate money to the Red Cross to help in an international disaster, or to other worthy charities that are dedicated to improving the quality of life for all citizens of the planet earth, than to a campaign of a multimillionaire running for President.

As for President and Senator Clinton, what are they thinking? What is the message when multimillionaries are willing to take such a precious gift from a child. If I were Senator Clinton, I'd have met with the young man, and then presented him with another bike autographed by her family. How hard up is this lady that she would accept such a dear gift from a young child?

May 23, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  71. james hoffman, Prescott, MI

No, but I would sell my children to donate to one of the candidates!

Jim, Michigan

May 23, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  72. Wendy. San Rafael, CA

Not for politicians, of either stripe!

I would agree though to selling them to raise money for food banks that feed hungry families or for some other charity.

The money should not have been accepted.

May 23, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  73. Peter Pan Fairview, Texas

No. That would be like taking candy from a baby. It just isn't done.
    Little Johnny or Janet donating money to a multi millionaire to run in a campaign and that multi millionaire accepting it is just wrong. Hillary Clinton has no tact or scruples. What a slime ball.

May 23, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  74. marcel

Jack
    The answer Yes
    But i wont let him(her)sell their toys to buy your book.

May 23, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  75. Richard Sternagel

No, little kids need their play toys!

May 23, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  76. ber6964

Are you kidding Jack, Hillary should have been ashamed to have accepted the money After all they have over 100 million in the bank.

May 23, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  77. David,San Bernardino,CA.

No! Children under 18 should not be donating money to any candidate. It is something that is ripe for abuse by unethical parents. Anyway,campaigns should be publicly financed so everyone has a chance to run,not just rich people and those who are just pawns and lackeys for the special interests.

May 23, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  78. Eddie, Quebec

Well since I have not much money... I bought toys for my boys at Walmart. So I've already given money to Hillary. I won't let my kids repeat their father's sin.

May 23, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  79. Linda

No, I would donate in their name. Or have a bake sale or garage sale and let my son or daughter donate if they wanted to. I can't believe Hillary actually took that boys money. And at the same time she bragged about a single mom who donated $20.00 dollars a week plus gave up her lunch hour to volunteer. It's great these people have big hearts and are willing to help someone in need. But come on ..Hillary can loan herself millions of dollars.

May 23, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  80. Stephany, FL

HILLARY should be ashamed of herself taking all the kids money. She should have bought him a new bike and a brand new video game to show her appreciation for his support. If the kid would have given it to Obama. Obama surely wouldn't have taken all his money. Maybe just $5.00 or a $1.00 would have been very appreciative. Hillary Shame on you. This is not something to brag about when you have millions of dollars. Hillary is not broke. She loaning to herself.

May 23, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  81. Katiec Pekin, IL

Well, if it were my child I would be more inclined to steer them
    towards a charity, especially one that would benefit children.
    Teaching children early about handling money is good, but
    the poor child was misguided about giving his money to
    a bad investment.
    He should have donated to something worthy.

May 23, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  82. A. Ashton - Turks & Caicos Islands

Jack, Honestly no. I would teach them to sopport charity, but for polititions no, and one who has Millions? no, we are looking to them for help. they are the ones to give us money to vote for them. $400.00 could carry me a long way in this hard time when money has gone on vacation and gas price take over.

May 23, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  83. Len of Colfax, Wisconsin

May 23, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  84. Mari, Salt Lake City, Utah

Poor kid! If I were him I would ask for my money back!

How can anyone donate to a candidate who "with ALL that experience" has not run a fiscally responsible campaign!? Nuts.

OBAMA 08 & 12!

May 23, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  85. Chryssa

Absolutely not. If my future children want to donate to a politician, I'll tell them to become familiar with the issues and work at a grass roots level. They can use their brains to make a difference instead of handing over cash eanred by selling items they didn't even purchase to begin with.

Boise, Idaho

May 23, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  86. Dan, NY

Dear Jack,

This is a story worthy of Dickens, or perhaps Hugo. Don't the evil step parent/inkeepers in Les Miserables exploit the young Fantene to make their way in the world? My question to you Jack: did Fantene have a bicycle?

Dan NY

May 23, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  87. Bob from Richmond VA

No Jack, I think it's pathetic. She could have at the very least given his donation to a charity that helps poor children, and she still would have had a great story to tell. But as we have learned, this is all about her, not the people she claims to care so much about.

May 23, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  88. Lene' - IL

I think it is astoundingly pathetic that this multi-millionare woman takes $400 from a kid to help get her campaign out of debt. Everytime she speaks it is "donate money"...ick! Why is she so in debt? She always claims she is outspent by Obama and he has plenty. I read about her "street money" and that is why I think she has so much debt.. what else can it be? Even her staff have not been getting paid and she owes a lot of other people for services. How can someone who claims popular vote be so in debt????

Taking money from a kid (shakes head) That is just pathetic! Anyone with any ounce of maternal instinct wouldn't have done that!

May 23, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  89. Jasmine Weidenbach in Marburg, Germany

No, Jack. My children are taught to pass their toys on to other children who really need and deserve them (including orphanages). The only time I have approved of the "selling" of toys (in our family) is if it has been for a charity event, such as a fundraiser for a pediatric hospital, or a school, etc. (I don't allow my teenies to sell on E-Bay). I insist on respecting the mentality of children. Children are delighted about their efforts to help other children. Why must some parents demand a false glory?

May 23, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  90. Redwhiteandblue

I'm sure Hillary's cookie jar is deeper that the boy's $400.00. She should give the money back to his parents out of decency. She and her husband donated to their own charity and she is hoping that Obama's campaign should pay her back the loan that she made to her own campaign.

Cha-Ching!!! All for one and One for herself!!! That's the Clinton Way.

May 23, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  91. Bruce St Paul MN

There are better ways to introduce children to citizenship. If they want to sell their stuff, fine. Give the money to charity. I don't think it is appropriate for kids to be directly involved in election politics. Wait until they are old enough to form their own political opinions independent of their parents. If an adult had the mental age of an eleven year old, we would think he was being taken advantage of. Same goes for an actual eleven year old.

May 23, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  92. Lynn, Vancouver

If I were a politician, I would encourage the 11 year old to donate the money to a charity. As a parent, I would object as Clinton is over $20 million dollars in debt. I wouldn't want ny child to helping her pay herself back for contributers money that she squandered when she thought she was "the inevitable" one.

May 23, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  93. Dennis Dobosh

More support from someone with less than a high school degree!

May 23, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  94. Mike, Syracuse NY

No Jack, I'd encourage my children to donate to charity instead. It's shamefull Hillary took the money. Let her sell her multimillion dollar house if she needs cash that bad.

May 23, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  95. sandy in Ohio

I live in Southern Ohio and I see the real poverty and despair of the poor in both Ohio and Kentucky. I would not let my child donate to any politician when there is so much suffering that he could help alleviate. That $400 was a drop in the bucket to the Clinton campaign but might have gone a long way to feed the hungry in his own back yard. Hillary continues to rack up debt with a let them eat cake attitude, so I would not encourage any small child to send her money. I wonder if she has paid any of her small vendor bills yet.

May 23, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  96. Judy, Exeter, Ca

If the Clintons turned it down, the boy would have been devastated. I personally would not have allowed such a thing unless he went out and earned all or part of the money it took to buy the toys in the first place.

May 23, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  97. Tiffeany

Jack,

I would definitely point out all of the options my child had to spend their money and if its something they felt strongly about, I would definitely let them. People wonder why their young adult children can't make decisions..its because they've always made decisions for them.

La Mesa, CA

May 23, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  98. Eugenia, new jersey

No. Although it is funny because before I heard about Hillary story, Barak had a kid do something similar for him and the kid was on the radio. It was so heartfelt listening to hime that it bought tears to my eyes ($11, his chores money). Hillary run for the whitehouse is over and that money could have gone to a needy charity instead.

May 23, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  99. John from Chicago

Hillary Clinton has 100 milion dollars!! She does not need money from a 11 year old and should have never taken it. She is pathetic!

This story is rediculous and the parents are just plain wrong.. I would never let my kids donate to a political campaign. Let kids be kids.

May 23, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  100. Donna in ID

It depends on the maturity of the young man. His family is probably trying to teach him to stand up for what he believes. Would there be an uproar if he sold his things to send money to do aide another country or give to a church. I think not. Just anti Hillary people are yelling. I hope this youngster has learned that if you feel deeply about something maybe you have to do with out some things to do what YOU feel is right.
    His folks didn't seem to have a problem with it so why should anyone else.

May 23, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  101. Rosemary, California

Not No, but Hell No! Can you say if you have taught your child to sacrifice for the greater good, can you say, help those less forturnate, donate towards that child's college fund. The Clintons should have said I am inspired and give it back to the kid, and offer the parents a donation towards his college fund for his generoisity, or donate to charity in that childs name.

May 23, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  102. Julie from LA

This is a great metaphor for Hillary's presidency since, judging from the fiscally irresponsible way she's managed her campaign, she'll be saddling the next generation with a lot of new debt.

11 years old is definitely not too young to start making payments!

May 23, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  103. Greg ...Cabot AR

I admire any child that expresses an interest in politics and makes that type of decission and I would support their choice.

Candidates rarely turn down any donations.....but in this case, bragging about it shows how low she will go to repay the money she loaned herself.

May 23, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  104. Peggy

The fact that HRC accepted that young man's money, only to use it to pay almost 3 million dollars to Mark Penn this month is outrageous. His parents would have done better to use that money to save for his college fund. Boy gives 109 million dollar candidate 400 dollars by selling his toys. Said candidate then gives the money to another millionaire named Mark Penn and uses the boy as a political tool. What is wrong with this picture?

May 23, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  105. Steve - Lanai City, Hawaii

Absolutely – As long as they donated the proceeds to Obama.

May 23, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  106. Julie from LA

Anyone with an ounce of integrity wouldn't be happy to take a child's $400 from selling his bike and all his games.

Oh, wait. Integrity. That explains it.

May 23, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  107. Jason, Koloa, HI

It's better than letting your kids go to war for them.

May 23, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  108. Prince Kaywood/New Orleans

The bad thing about this Jack is that Hillary bragged about taking candy from a baby

May 23, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  109. DeniseGA

I agree with some of the post. The bigger question is who would TAKE the money!
    The child is too young to understand politics. His parents should have known better.
    He could have given the money to charity, you know homeless shelter or food bank.

Clinton should donate the money to charity, she should really know better!

May 23, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  110. Michael

Jack not in this world!!! I am disappointed that the Clinton campaign took the money considering that they have millions. They really ought to give that child the $400 back towards his education or trade school. From my understanding Kentucky like most states are really hurting from this bad economy right now. I believe that family can use that money more than the Clinton campaign right now.

May 23, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  111. gary lee, from san luis obispo, ca.

i work in the public schools system, and on a number of occaisions.
    witnessed very young students comming out to protest the transfer of school administrators. the funny thing is, that the vast majority of students hated the adminisrtators in question. most of us who worked for them didnt think well of him/her either.
    the bottom line is, good kids do what their parents ask them to do.
    mom and dad need to let their children be children, and stop trying to influence their kids in areas they have no knowledge of. children 13 and under have very little if any sound judgement, they simply take their parents word for it.

May 23, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  112. Hubert Bertrand

no no no way.They would not appreciate it anyway.

May 23, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  113. Melissa cunningham

Yes, yes, and no. I have a 9 year old daughter in 3rd grade. The kids are talking about this election. They should, their futures are affected by it. That said, yes, children should donate their toys, books, and clothes to charity. Mine has at her request since the age of 3. My daughter has also donated her time, along with me, going door to door. But the bike stays. It is the only form of transportation we can afford these days. Perhaps Hillary would consider giving us a loan.

May 23, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  114. Brian, Columbia, MO

You know in a couple months he'll be begging his parents to buy him new games and a new bike

May 23, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  115. Mike K.

Not THAT politician.

May 23, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  116. Randall Chapman Las Vegas,Nv

Jack, I don't have children,but being a hillbilly from Southern Ohio who's Mother and Father were both from kentucky It doesn't surprise me what he did. Most of the people in Kentucky are hard working people who will share with their fellow man. Yes, I would let him do what he did. I bet he doesn't even write it off on his taxes.
    Neither left or right red or blue. Just an old hard working American.
    Randall Chapman Msgt (Ret)
    Vietnam Vet

May 23, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  117. Tommy in KENTUCKY

Jack
    If a person thinks the donation is for a worthy cause, I don't see what's the problem with the donation. Jack only you would bring up such a obfuscating question, just because you don't like the Clinton's. JACK there are many African-Americans whose income fall well below the poverty level, so why don't you question their intentions also? Jack reads an article by Thomas Sowell who is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institute and an author of Basic Economics: A Citizen's Guide to the Economy. His article was dated April 29, 2008, you just might get some insite into his political assessment.

May 23, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  118. Debbie in Illinois

Sure would! They are 31, 29 and 22. Get them things out of their old rooms and the basement and donate to the democratic party!

May 23, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  119. Annie, Atlanta

This was very generous of this young man, but politicians raise and spend way too much money, as it is. A better place to send it, if my kids were so inclined, would be supplies for our service men and women, toys for tots, or the Red Cross.

May 23, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  120. Grant from Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

There are so many deserving charities that help suffering in the world. Donation to a politician just seems a waste for a child's money and compassion.

May 23, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  121. Paula in WI

I don't even believe it happened...probably a tale told along the trail like the hospital that turned the lady down for help...can't believe a word from her mouth,she's just like her impeached hubby...no morals at all with these people.

May 23, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  122. Darlene - Philadelphia, PA.

Never! And the fact that she accepted it shows just what type of person she is – disgusting!

May 23, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  123. Maggie from IOWA

Absolutely not. Charity, yes. Church, yes. Gifts for Grandparents or needy children, yes. There are greater things to teach about giving than this. Too bad Dalton felt that her story so desperate.

May 23, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  124. Diane Glasser

Yes. If they were old enough and understood fully the political views of the candidate and knew that the toy was gone for ever (until next Christmas).
    Now a days so many students do not have a good grasp of politics and our political history. This would be a good way for them to learn. I think that this primary has done a positive educational advertisement service for our new first time voters.

May 23, 2008 at 5:43 pm |
  125. Eileen at Lagnua Beach CA

No, Jack. Nor would I as a candidate accept such a donation from a minor. ANd, I don't have $100M in gratuties for selling my husband's fame. Shameless.

May 23, 2008 at 5:47 pm |
  126. Carol

What great parents. My interest in our goverments comes from my child hood. I think the voters of today know absoluley nothing about the party they belong to or what it stands for. They believe and repeat incorrect information as truth. It truly disappoints me the lack of education our so called educated people have. I hope parents and teachers encourage their children (pupils) to read the history of our country.
    Our children had access to books on American history and the Presidents. And they were encouraged to study the issues of the two parties. They were free to choose and also to vote. Know your facts someone might call on you to prove your words. If more parents turned of the TV and talked to their kids they might found some great memories. We did. Hillary has my heart. I see she gave her love for people in the face of her daughter. Pass on your values. Sometimes it's a good thing.
    Carol in Oregon

Carol in Oregon

May 23, 2008 at 5:47 pm |
  127. June in Canada

I suspect the boy was more influenced by his parents than he was by Hillary. However, I think the money from his bike sale could have done more good had it gone to a local charity. Or maybe to a poor child who will never see a $400 bike.

May 23, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  128. Dominic Haberman...Hattiesburg,MS

John Stewart said it best after he showed the clip of Clinton bragging about this boy and shamelessly plugging her website. Yeah, he sent the money, and yes, she sure took it. That poor kids donation probably didn't even cover the cost of the confetti they dropped after her speech. To answer the question, I would not let my son donate money to a candidate who has claimed 100 million dollars in income over the past 7 years. Any person with some pride, diginity, or shame would thankfully turn down the offer from the boy. I wonder if she pays back anyone but herself with the donations she will get on her road to the end tour in the next few weeks.

May 23, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  129. Josh Askew (Pearl Harbor, Hawaii)

Jack, I sure would. I wouldn't let me son give away his college funds, but giving up videogames for an interest in the government? Well, in a day when the release of GTA4 generates more interest than the presidential race, it sounds like a step in the right direction. I would just be concerned about donating the money to Hillary.

May 23, 2008 at 5:55 pm |
  130. ed

of course i would let them as long as they did'nt get carried away, remember they are american citizens also and should have there say if they have an opinion about the candidates. its people like that is why clinton will win the nomination or the election in nov. by a write in vote, she can beat both McCain and obama, the people don't care about bogus caucus delegates or superdelegates the people have spoken and they will again in nov.

May 23, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  131. Anders Scooper

Yes Jack, I would let my kids sell thier toys or anything else they have if they would promise to give the money to Hillary. It is very important to help Hillary win the White House. Jack, you could help Hillary more than you do.

May 23, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  132. John K

Lets watch and see this child 10years from now, wether he proclaims red or blue...or disappointment in politics and utmost regret for selling his bike once upon a time to support a politician.

And she is proud for accepting the money? Are there not any deserving charities in the childs neighbourhood? Then again your donation to a worthy cause didnt get any press coverage either so I huess its a small price to pay for 15minutes of fame.

May 23, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  133. Pat from Florida

they need to save their money for college since I will not be able to afford to send them..

May 23, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  134. Christi

Are you kidding me? The Clinton's made a hudred million dollars since they left the white house and NONE of it through hard work. What I can afford to buy my children is the fruit of my labor. If she wants to be president so bad she can go get a second job and support her own campaign. She isn't even working her real job because she is out campaigning and she is getting paid more than twice what I will ever make as a teacher. And this comment goes for all the politicians that are not doing their job in Washington because they are out campaigning.

May 23, 2008 at 6:00 pm |
  135. Garnet, Corning, Oh

II cannot believe that a mother making over 15 mil. a year would take money from a child who has sold his toys. And get on TV and tell about it!

May 23, 2008 at 6:00 pm |
  136. Denise (Brooklyn, New York)

Definitely. Those who give out of the kindness of their hearts are reciprocated ten fold. It's a good thing for children to learn to give at a young age whether it is to a campaign, to church or to a charity. Our problem is that the world is selfish and everyone is for self. And don't forget Galatians 6:7 – "Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."

May 23, 2008 at 6:01 pm |
  137. Dominic Haberman...Hattiesburg,MS

I would love to answer that question, but I am too busy getting my nieces and nephews to go to Hillary.com and donate their lunch money. I can't stand the thought of draining the bank accounts of the Clintons after they collected 100 million in income over the past 7 years.

May 23, 2008 at 6:01 pm |
  138. Ann, Newton, New Jersey

Hillary has more money in her bank account than people who are struggling to make ends meet will ever have. She has a husband and the vows say "for richer or poorer". Let him cough up some money for his "poor" wife. Let's see how long Bill and Hillary will be his "friends".

May 23, 2008 at 6:01 pm |
  139. Mwita (Los Angeles, CA)

Just Shameful!!! Hillary and Bill Clinton made more than a combined 100 million dollars in the past few years. It wasn't bad enough that Hillary took the money from the kid, then she exploits his story in her speech. They need to buy the kid a new bike, and some video games.

May 23, 2008 at 6:05 pm |
  140. gary lee, from san luis obispo, ca.

MALISSA, children giveing to a charity, and giveing to a political campagn are very different. they have no idea what the issues are all about. and you can try to explain all you want. but that does not alter the fact that their young minds are to immature to grasp what you are saying. we're not talking about giveing gifts to poor children.
    we're talking about giveng money to politicians and political causes.

May 23, 2008 at 6:05 pm |
  141. MS from SC

If the child is seriously informed and is inspired to be part of the process of choosing our representatives in one of the few ways a child can participate, why not allow the child to have this important memory? After all, many of us would like to remember doing our part to make a difference in a time when many Americans want to feel that they have a voice in trying to improve the future-especially after all the debacles of the GWB years.

May 23, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  142. Lori

Sure, why not? You're never too young to experience buyer's remorse.

May 23, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  143. Will, San Jose CA

It's good practice for the kid. He gets to lose possessions to send money to someone who makes millions of dollars a year. Should prepare him well for working in our current economy.

May 23, 2008 at 6:10 pm |
  144. Michael H. Miller

Seems only fair to me: politicians sell our kids to buy their toys.

May 23, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  145. Ginny in PA

I don't think so...these politicians already get enough money from special interest groups.

May 23, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  146. Eileen

Why not Jack, better to a politician that he believes in than giving his money to a drug dealer!!

May 23, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  147. Clay, Portland OR

Jack, I'm in my late twenties, and I wouldn't even sell MY toys to donate money to a politician. My time's one thing... but my TOYS? You're kidding me.

May 23, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  148. Kimether - Atlanta

Absolutely! It is never too early to learn that you need to sacrifice a little to stand up for what you believe in

May 23, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  149. Kyle Soukup, Wisconsin

Certainly, provided my son or daughter was a Democrat, and I didn't also want the toys...

May 23, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  150. Gary, NY

Of course, that's a very responsible thing for a kid to do. But I would have to talk to him to make sure he wouldn't be asking me to buy him new toys a week later.

May 23, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  151. Denny Lytle

I can't even force myself to check that box on my tax form to donate a dollar to a politician. Need I say more?

May 23, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  152. Alex Campbell, PA

Only if it was to Barack Obama, not to someone as polarizing and rich as the Clintons.

May 23, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  153. Daniel from Atlanta

Two words Jack, and excuse my French, but HELLLLLL NO!

May 23, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  154. Luke Scott - Wellston Ohio

Jack, it would depend on who the politician was. I believe that with it being Senator Hillary Clinton, I would let my child donate to her campaign. I have admired Hillary Clinton for years, and she is someone worth donating too. I wouldn't personally donate to Obama or McCain, but I would probably let my child do what they wanted too, whatever they thought was right.

May 23, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  155. George Ed

Sell the toys and buy gas for the family car.

May 23, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  156. Cory in Dallas,TX

I ABSOLUTLEY WOULD let my child do his or her own part to help for the greater benefit of this nation. When I was a 5th grader, politics were not on my mind, nor that of my friends, but my how times have changed. I 100% commend that young man for doing his own part. I urge everyone to support their candidate, my part was, is, and will be for Hillary Clinton.

May 23, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  157. Nasser

I guess this is another example of establishing political ties at the grassroots level. Why not let your child help out a politician?, it's good to see people so young taking an interest in what's going on in our country for once. Also this is showing how the 08 election is breaking boundaries with the american problem of voter apathy... if an 11 year old is this involved in politics, that's a sign that progress is being made in that department.

May 23, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  158. Fred Roberts

As long as it wasn't for a Republican– Absolutely!!

May 23, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  159. John Dubchak

I have a 12 year old son and would I let him sell his stuff to donate money to a politician? Hell no! They are among the richest and most powerful people in the U.S., not to mention the most unethical and dishonest.

May 23, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  160. Chris from Orlando, FL

Sure! I would let me child sell their belongings and donate the money to a politician. But instead of letting them give the money to the politician I would just burn it in front of him to teach him a valuable lesson.

May 23, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  161. Lisa

Would I let my kid sell his or her things to donate to a political campaign? Absolutely.

Kids are not too young to care about things. They watch television, hear conversations between adults and learn about politics in school. If my child felt strongly about a certain topic, why should I keep them from doing what they feel strongly about. My children have donated to Christmas funds for less fortunate children, given their own money to Red Cross for victims of Katrina, the earthquake in China and the cyclone victims in Myanmar. It's important for them to think of something other than just themselves and if contributing to a campaign gives them a feeling of empowerment and doing something for a cause, so be it. I support it.

May 23, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  162. Johnnie

I would most certainly allow my child to donate to a politician that he believed in. It is good to let children learn about the electorial process and God knows they see enough of it on television to come to some conclusion. Most kids today have too many toys and donating them to a good cause is good training in patriotism and how to vote in the future.

May 23, 2008 at 6:15 pm |
  163. Pat

Absolutely not. At the age of 11, he cannot even vote, so is obviously either on some band wagon or his parents are using him to further their agenda and/or get his picture in the paper. It's just plain silly. There are children out there who raise funds in various ways for worthy causes, and this is not one of them.

May 23, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  164. Brenda

1st...who purchased the toys for him? was it his parents ? if so then he should paid off them first and if he get an allowance then he can donate his allowance to Ms. Clinton.
    Brenda of Saginaw, Mich.

May 23, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  165. Wygenia

My answer is NO, if my child wanted to sell his toys and donate the money, I think feeding the hungry would be a much better way to use that money instead of donating money to someone who can't manage their campaign money anyway. Clinton is in the red and that comes from bad management. If this statement is untrue why is it that Obama can spend and spend and has not once gone in the red nor has he had to loan his campaign money. In my opinion if you can't manage your own campaign money then how will you manage the money of a country. I think the parents should have helped this child to see better things he can donate to other than a candidate.

May 23, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  166. Sam in Enid, OK

I'm a 12-year-old, and an Obama supporter, and I can think of a million things I would rather spend my money on than donating to Barack Obama, like new toys, or a cell phone. To show my support for Obama, I do phone banking for him, that's free!

May 23, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  167. Ken Richardson

Jack
    I would not allow my kid to sell their toys to give money to a political anything. I would allow this give away if it would benefit the poor.

Ken

May 23, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  168. Fred T. Black/Detroit

That truly is not the question that needs to be answered. The question is would I vote for a candidate that accepted or would have accepted such a donation? A candidate that Iw oudl vote for would be one that would not accept the donation and explain, the moral issues, of why you have so little and as a politician I have so much.

I understand that the young man is well apprised, no doubt via his parents, they should be commended. But I find something lacking common sense and the morals associated with receiving.

May 23, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  169. Jared Baker, Orlando FL

My parents were mad at me when I traded toys with friends Jack. I can't imagine what they would have said had I pawned them to support a dynastic and wealthy politician; especially a New Yorker. As for me, I wouldn't let my own children sell off their belongings for a political candidate and if they do, that Playstation 3 will not be under the Christmas tree this year.

May 23, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  170. Tonya, Georgia

Absurb!! That money could have been used by the family to keep up with the soaring prices that our economy is currently facing!

May 23, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  171. Joanne

I will let my children, sell their toys to help the needy never the greedy

May 23, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  172. Joan Mandell

Actually I would. I've been a political junkie since I was 8 years old – the only farm kid in Illinois who listened to every minute of both parties conventions. Even at 70 I remember the tension and drama of all those roll-calls. Perhaps that's why I have voted in every election.

May 23, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  173. lars

He should have taken a page out of Hillary's accountant's books
    and just LOANED the campaign his money!

May 23, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  174. Ted, Beaverton, OR

Who's to blame, the kids parents for participating in this political hoodwink, or HIllary for actually taking the money. What Hillary should have done is set up a full college scholarship for the kid out of her 10's of millions. She apparently gets more mileage out of the political side of fleecing the kid. The Clintons only donate to their own charities however.

May 23, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  175. Steven Villa

Jack, As a 16 year old student driver, I would sell them. Not to support a politician, though, but to fill my gas-guzzling truck up.

May 23, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  176. Jamal Ali

Yea, sure. The only thing I'd love to see my child doing is giving money to the government, and talking about war and economy problems, give me a break Hillary.

May 23, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  177. CARL

Jack,

Yes I would let the kids sell their toys to donate to a politician, but I'd rather they donated the money to MY gasoline fund!

Carl
    Eugene, OR

May 23, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  178. Jenny from Nanuet, New York

Not if the politician had no chance of winning.

May 23, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  179. andrew , naperville ,il.

i'm sure this whole stunt was the idea of the parents. odds are he already has a new bike and and the latest grand theft auto game.

May 23, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  180. john

Jack it depends.If the toys were made in china with lead paint,i would much rather just give the canidates these toys in person,

May 23, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  181. Ryan

I would allow my child to donate as much money as possible, that is if it were to the Ron Paul Campaign, but unfortunately nobody would ever here about it in the news. I would have to post it on 'You Tube'

May 23, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  182. Elisabeth

The kid seems genuine enough, but Hillary should have returned the money citing improper vesting, but deepest thanks for the gesture.

May 23, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  183. Anthony, NY

Jack:
    I'm no kid and my little ones are 2 and 5, but I'd be proud if they did as I have done: contribute to the Clinton campaign. I'm a 31-year old white man who has a very upset wife because I'm contributing to Sen. Clinton on a regular basis. For the first time a politician has inspired me, go figure. No offense honey, I love you more for sure, but I'm still going to stand up for Sen. Clinton. Someone has to.

May 23, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  184. Lori North Carolina

My kids may have to sell their toys for our family to buy gas and groceries, but no they will not donate to a candidate that sounds like her only hope for the nomination is for her opponent to be assassinated. My only hope is that there are enough people staying home this holiday weekend to have heard her desperate comments.

May 23, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  185. Joyce Jean Brown

Absolutely! I admire the young boys parents. For a child to give up something for anyone or anything in this "me first " generation I think is a wonderful example.

May 23, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  186. Victoria

I would be extremely proud of either of my children for taking such an interest in the current political arena, so much that they put their personal interest aside to sell off their "pleasure toys" to contribute to the big picture. How could anyone look at it any differently. The inference that she should not have taken it is absurd. We need more social awareness in families so that children grow up wanting to 'do the right thing'.

victoria in boston

May 23, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  187. Amanda

Yes, but I would insist that the donations be made anonymously. Trotting out a child the way Dalton has been on the campaign trail is not going to encourage the spirit of giving... it encourages the spirit of self-promotion. I'm sure Dalton's intentions were seflless, but as a pre-adolescent, can he handle the aftermath?

– Amanda in Austin

May 23, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  188. Michael

I'm 13 I live in Pennsylvania (Blue State) and live in Erie (Blue County) and I donated ten dollars and got a yard sign. I think its extremely important to get involved in the process now. And it makes it worth watching all the democrats drive by and see them grimace, I get a kick out of it.

May 23, 2008 at 6:19 pm |
  189. terry hughes

yes ithink that it proves that you have reach adulhood. the bible references this very fact that you should put aside childish things and take on the role of adult

May 23, 2008 at 6:19 pm |
  190. Mike McIntyre - Northfield, IL

Toy money for Hillary...when will this foolishness end?

Perhaps this young lad can convince his two new friends that money shouldn't buy our politicians or pay off debts to a campaign that should have folded months ago!

May 23, 2008 at 6:19 pm |
  191. Don Armstrong

I think Dalton's parents owe the young lad $400 and an apology for taking their eye off of him long enough for him to make a mistake like this. Let him support whomever he wants, but encourage donations to any number of organizations that need the money alot worse than million dollar Hillary. Come to think of it – compared to a $1000 dollar a plate dinner with the Clintons – maybe this was a lot cheaper way to get his picture taken with the two of them. In that case, he's quite an enterprising boy.

May 23, 2008 at 6:19 pm |
  192. Greg in Toronto, Canada

Are you kidding me? I'm 34 and I wouldn't sell my video games! And as for the bike? His parents are going to freak out when they have to drive that kid everywhere at these gas prices!

May 23, 2008 at 6:19 pm |
  193. Dave Eppelsheimer

I certainly had a chuckle when I found out Hillary Clinton's campaign actually took the money. A parent has every right to aid the development of their kid's interest in civics and politics. However, what is as disturbing as the Clinton campaign taking an 11-year-old's money? Parents ramming their politics down an 11-year-old's throat.

May 23, 2008 at 6:19 pm |
  194. Dale

Jack,
    Hillary really missed a great opportunity to meet this young man and praise him for his sacrifice and let him know what it meant to her but then turn back to the boy and explain to him what it would mean if he donated that money to a charity with her blessings and appreciate for the donation.

May 23, 2008 at 6:19 pm |
  195. EMILY

if a child is so pasionate about a candidate then why not, it's their choise. i know if it came to me and my toys tho i wouldn't give them to a candiate that i don't know (personally) hek i wouldn't give my toys to people i do know personally either. =)
    EMILY

May 23, 2008 at 6:20 pm |
  196. annie chia

YES, I would. I think kids should start early ! I think all kids should donate to Hilary Clinton after all Obama's campaign had college kids voting for him so why can't Hilary get all the younger ones supporting her ??

May 23, 2008 at 6:20 pm |
  197. Paul

Hi Jack,
    Price of gas at the pump = $4/Gal
    Selling a bicycle for Sen Clinton's Campaign contribution =$400!
    Have a nice Holiday Jack!

May 23, 2008 at 6:20 pm |
  198. Claire Gardner

You bet your booty I'd let any of my five children donate money they raised for a politician of their choice – especially if same child couldn't vote yet! The message here, fair and clear, is even our young children need to be concerned about the politics in this country.

May 23, 2008 at 6:20 pm |
  199. Jackie from Texas

No, it's odd!

May 23, 2008 at 6:20 pm |
  200. Dirk in CA

Politicians are some of the richest people in the world, i think allowing your children to sell their own personal belongings to help out people like this is absurd. (see mrs. mccains tax report and hillarys five MILLION dollar loan to herself for more information)

a kid selling 400 dollars worth of his own stuff is really not advisable

May 23, 2008 at 6:20 pm |
  201. Clara from Cleveland Ohio

NEVER !
    He should have given the money to charity where it would really do some good. Giving it to a politician is for adults with money, only.
    Didn't Bill Clinton make about $105 million dollars recently?
    Maybe the kids' money should be returned?

May 23, 2008 at 6:20 pm |
  202. Jenny

Yes, I would absolutely allow my child to sell his toys to donate money to a politician , just as I would allow him to do the same to donate to a charity. This kind of gesture emphasizes Dalton's sense of civic duty and passion to become involved in a cause that will undoubtedly shape the future of America. This is exemplary behavior on behalf of an 11-year-old and I commend his parents for raising such a socially conscious, altruistic young man.

May 23, 2008 at 6:20 pm |
  203. A. Cox

It made a good publicity piece but, common decency would call for replacement of the childs bike. (it would not bankrupt the campain ).

May 23, 2008 at 6:21 pm |
  204. Dave Wright

With the way kids are today, why not. If he has shown an interest, thats great. We have way too many young people that think everything should be given to them. Growing up with no concept of responsibility or money.
    More power to him!

May 23, 2008 at 6:21 pm |
  205. Bruce

I don't have children but I think it is wonderful that this child is so
    knowledgeable and concerned about what is going on.
    I only wish all voters were as knowledgeable.

May 23, 2008 at 6:21 pm |
  206. Jay Bibby

Parents that say that politicians already have enough money for their campaigns are missing an opportunity here:

By allowing our children to sacrifice what they value for something they strongly believe in, we can help them learn very important lessons in life.

Besides fostering a stronger moral courage, children that learn to sacrifice short term gratification for long term goals will be better prepared for the world in which we all live.

May 23, 2008 at 6:21 pm |
  207. Vicky

Jack,
    Of course I would allow my children to sell their possessions to give to a cause, charity, or even a politician. Society used to value and encourage each generation to be a contributor to their community/world. Today, however with the new millinium generation; we expect, accept, and encourage the me first mentality and of course you would never consider giving anything to anyone if it meant giving up a "possession".
    What great "character" this young man shows!!!!

May 23, 2008 at 6:22 pm |
  208. Ed

At this point, Hillary is starting to sound desperate. Someone in the Democratic party need to explain to Hillary that kids under the age of 18 are off limits for political exploitation.

God help us all.

May 23, 2008 at 6:22 pm |
  209. robert roswell, ga

sometimes you have to be willing to let your children fail so they can learn the error of their ways.
    This child is going to get one heck of a life lesson.

May 23, 2008 at 6:22 pm |
  210. Mayank

After my son's donated money from his toys to people in need (Myanmar, China, Salvation Army, Food Banks), I'm sure he'll have plenty left over to finance the ambitions of poor needy politicians.

May 23, 2008 at 6:22 pm |
  211. Bob Fleming

If my kids had wanted to sell their toys it would have been fine so long as they didn't use the money to do something dangerous, illegal, harmful to their health or make a contribution to Bushs' campaign.

May 23, 2008 at 6:23 pm |
  212. Louise

No I would not allowed my kid to sell his toys for her campaign, what about his college education? will Hillary be around to help him get his degree,probably not. Hillary give that kid his money back you should be ashame to accept funds from a kid when you have millions of dollars, just shows what kind of a person you are. If you desire to continue your run for the presidency go in your own pocket and stop asking the public to go to HILLARY CLINTON.COM

May 23, 2008 at 6:23 pm |
  213. Darryl In Oregon

This kid isn't even mine, and I'm so proud of him for caring about the future of our country. If all of our youth were as interested in politics and world affairs, us old folks could worry a lot less. This is the kind of sacrifice and passion I would love to see a lot more of in today's youth, or for that matter in any American. Way to go Dalton! There may be hope for America yet. And I am offering to buy you a new bike just for commiting yourself to a cause you believe in.

May 23, 2008 at 6:23 pm |
  214. Iduh

No not to one so rich like the clintons. she should take some of her millions to finance her doomed political ambition

May 23, 2008 at 6:23 pm |
  215. Kathie, Marion Illinois

I think it's wonderful! What better way to get a child interested in the politics of our nation than to let him feel like he's a part of it. These kids who are Dalton's age now will be the ones choosing the leaders of our country when you and I, Jack, are in our wheelchairs. The better informed they are, the better off we'll be then.

May 23, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  216. Preston

No I would never let my child donate anything to a candidate, especially when they donate millions to themselves. I hope that brief moment of fame was worth it, kid. Now you're just bored in your room.

May 23, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  217. Fran

If a person isn't old enough to vote, is it legal for them to donate to a political campaign? And is it legal for the political campaign to accept the donation?

May 23, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  218. Stephanie

I think it's a good idea to let your children sell their toys to donate to a political campaign if that is what THEY wish to do. I think encouraging children to be informed about the political process early on will make them better voters when they turn voting age. Cudos to the parent's of the young man from KY who donated proceeds from the sale of his toys/bike to the Clinton campaign. His parents allowed him to feel a part of the political process and hopefully that excitement and interest will spill over into his adult life.

May 23, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  219. David - Philadelphia, P'A

A fifth grader should be concerned more about the welfare of kids his own age, particularly those without healthcare, who occupy children's hospitals across the country.
    I think his donation would do a lot more good for one of those kids than it would to a multi-millionaire's aspiration to obtain political office.

May 23, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  220. Dianne in St. Louis

And in this case, this eleven year old is far from the voting age. You gotta love it! I'm sure the poor kid feels the pain of the hard times his parents are probably going through. Who isn't going through hard times. Anyone would have to be a fool to vote Republican. I hope the boy grows up to be a politican – an honest Abe! And Yes to anwer your question, I would certainly encourage my kids to sell their joys to raise money for the politican of their choice. Most kids out grow a lot of their toys they have anyway. You know things are getting bad when kids notice it and even want to help.

May 23, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  221. Vicki in Arlington, TN

Jack, he would have been a lot better off it he invested the money in Exxon stock, at least he would have something to show for it.

May 23, 2008 at 6:25 pm |
  222. robert roswell, ga

He says Clinton has “very good views on specific issues that are important to this election”, including the war, the economy and health care...........

Sure he said that Jack.

Pigs fly, it's snowing in Hell, Palestine is embracing Israel, McCain released ALL his medical records, and Hillary simply mis spoke.

May 23, 2008 at 6:25 pm |
  223. Linda in Virginia

Nope Jack that toy money isn't going to politians it's going for my mortgage payment these days and to put food on the table and gas for the car.

May 23, 2008 at 6:26 pm |
  224. william wiebe

How would I feel if one of my youngsters wanted to donate his/her money to a politician?
    Good! How would I feel if one of my youngsters wanted to donate his/her money to a
    political campaign that has squandered millions, been mismanaged from the ‘get go’ and
    has no hope of winning the nomination? Not so good!
    W. Wiebe
    Shawnigan Lake

May 23, 2008 at 6:26 pm |
  225. toppe babalola

no i won't. it is obviously unnecessary and when you think that hillary clinton loaned her campaign ( at interest?) money, it just won't be right.

May 23, 2008 at 6:27 pm |
  226. Jimmy Kean

When he gives it to someone who is poor, I would be very proud. When he gives it to someone who is a multi-millionaire, I should take him to a shrink! Shame on you Hillary, stop bragging about taking a child's money on national TV, take a bit more of your millions if you want to continue and stop wasting people's money.

May 23, 2008 at 6:27 pm |
  227. Albert S (Toronto, Ontario)

Yes, yes I would. Any child that would willingly part with their own possessions for the benefit of another person is on the path to become a generous adult. Of course, I would rather they donate the money to charity but considering I spent the money on the toy in the first place I'm exactly in a position to comment.

May 23, 2008 at 6:28 pm |
  228. La'Vern

Personally, I find an 11yr old having such a deep understanding is admireable. I have 3 sons–one currently in Iraq. Should any one of them choose to sell their x-box 360, games, bikes(cars now) Ipod or other such intimate items would not be allowed. I would teach and show them other ways to help their candidate. Currently, I am involved with making calls, helping others register to vote and just getting all I am in contact with excited about this election process. Should their choice be unchanged.... I would match their donation $$ to my candidate and replace the sold items at an appropriate time to show that the sacrafice did not go unnoticed.

Many feel that children don't understand or are to young to be involved...NOT true. My son was in kindergarten the first time he attended a mock election... He still remembers the excitement he felt voting for then Bill Clinton's first campaign and that was over 16 years ago. He is in Iraq now....even more excited since this is going to be his first presidential election. I actually have 2 young adults very excited about voting for the first time in a presidential election.

Let us continue to educate our young children so when their first Presidential Election year approaches-we continue to have record voter turnouts.

Thanks Mr. Cafferty for bringing the pertinent news- Straight with no Chaser.............we need more of that.

May 23, 2008 at 6:28 pm |
  229. laling

Yes - shows they care about something other than sitting in front of the video game!

May 23, 2008 at 6:28 pm |
  230. Samuel

When I was 11 I was going door to door requesting people to vote for candidate I thought is right and handing out badges and flags. I talk to my friend's kids of age over 10yrs and they know what is going on in the country and about this election. They are very well aware of the current situation and for a 11 yrs old this election and selecting right candidate is very important because in 8 yrs he is going to be 19 and may be applying for higher studies or looking for job. It does matter what kind of economy and environment he will have at that time at the time. Actually it does affect them deeply if you see. . I think parents should have good social and political exposure to their kids so they have awareness. Only very few people don't care how their kids are shaping and what opportunities they will have in future because they know their kids will be making money some how by robbing people or by selling drugs. I don't see anything wrong in this kid selling his bike for some thing he believs so deeply in. Budda started his journey when he was 9 yrs only. So wake up people.

May 23, 2008 at 6:28 pm |
  231. Scott

One campaign donation of $400, a photo with President Clinton-PRICELESS!

May 23, 2008 at 6:28 pm |
  232. Joshua in Grayson, GA

Jack,

I am 9 years old and have been sending Sen. Clinton half of my allowance every month since last Chrstmas. She will help America and all the hard working peopel like my dad who cant aford gas to go to work. I think she looks like my mom, but my mom cant talk as good as Mrs. Clinton. You should send her some money too.

May 23, 2008 at 6:28 pm |
  233. samantha

why should young children sell their good toys that they love so much to a candiate that is probably not even going to win........hillary clinton
    i would rather have my children send their toys to the needy if they want to donate them to someone. =)
    SAMANTHA

May 23, 2008 at 6:28 pm |
  234. mike B.

Jack,

This what you call taking candy from babys. She should have taken the money and bought something educational for the child. That would have went over big time with the voters instead of jacking the child out of his money.

Mike B.

May 23, 2008 at 6:28 pm |
  235. BC

Sure. I would let them choose who to donate to, and what stuff they wanted to sell. After all, it's a good way to get kids educated about money and politics, and a great way to clean out your garage... But if YOU were donating $400, would you donate it to a candidate or a charity? I would tell them that they could sell their video games, bike, whatever,(as long as they didn't complain about it afterward) but only half of it would go to a candidate, and the other half would go to a charity. After all, why not feed hungry people as well as your favorite candidate's campaign?

BC, age 10 (Really!!)

May 23, 2008 at 6:29 pm |
  236. Michael

My son Noah isn’t even born yet but he’s already giving to Sen. Obama’s campaign – his’s soon-to-be proud father wants him to grow up in an America he is proud of, unlike his father for the past 8 years.

Michael, Portland, OR

May 23, 2008 at 6:29 pm |
  237. Jack the Iowa Boy

Sure – My kids (ages 12, 15, 20, and 22) are all very aware of political and current events. My kids have always been allowed and encouraged to sit with the adults and engage in the conversation. Just as I was when I was a child. If you listen to your kids, encourage discussion, and make them give the reasons for their opinions, you might just find you can see things from an angle you hadn't considered. You might also find you can learn more in five minutes talking with your well informed kids than you do from having the TV tuned to CNN all day long.

May 23, 2008 at 6:29 pm |
  238. Aaron

Absolutely! I would encourage my child to participate if they were truly interested in a cadidate. This new movement among the country and their interest in politics is something that we should all be proud of. I would definately set some restrictions and remind my kids that there are other practical ways to help out nation, because there are men women and children who go to bed hungry every night I would maybe encourage involvment in activities such as charities before political campaigns of wealthy politicians who will never miss a meal, and I definately would reconsider if they were thinking about donating to the McCain campaign, who always seems to be running out of money but it appears that his wife will be there to bail him out.

May 23, 2008 at 6:30 pm |
  239. Linda

I think all the people on this blog are missing the real point. If my son felt in his heart that he wanted to do that,I would allow him to do so. Then I would praise God that he has such a giving heart. You people should try it sometimes. God loves a giver! That's the point folks!

May 23, 2008 at 6:30 pm |
  240. Ronnie Katona

Of course. If my kid will believe that by investing his properties can affect his future, why not? But he will have to understand that his investment may fail and will not get his toy back.

Ronnie Katona
    Slovakia

May 23, 2008 at 6:31 pm |
  241. Bobby Webber

Jack,
    No children of my own, but I have a niece with a Stratego set she's willing to sell to GWBush cheap.
    Bobby
    Stoctkon, CA

May 23, 2008 at 6:32 pm |
  242. victoria, calfornia

Noo way. kids should not be encouraged to do that. To my understanding, parents should not use their kids to play politics. Politicians should not be proud to receive such gifts from any kid rather encourage kids to do more school work than play politics at that age.

May 23, 2008 at 6:33 pm |
  243. Francisco Pagan

Absolutely! My daughter has a voice and if she feels that, a politician matches her beliefs and points of views she should be able to do what she feels is best to support any politician in any party.

May 23, 2008 at 6:34 pm |
  244. E. Washington

I would definitely not let my children donate to a politician, especially to a politician whose family income exceeds $100 million. Hilliary should have not accepted this kid's money. She should have thanked him for the donation and the thought, and returned it with the hope that he donate it to less fortunate children.

May 23, 2008 at 6:35 pm |
  245. Suzie

If the kid wants to do it – let him!!! It's a nice reflection on the parents about the way they are raising their child by getting him involved at an early age in our election process. Kudos to both his parents and the boy!

May 23, 2008 at 6:35 pm |
  246. Kola Olalegan

considering that kids are not allow to vote, they should at least be allowed to give their support the best way that they can...

Kola
    Lagos, Nigeria

May 23, 2008 at 6:36 pm |
  247. Chilee Agunanna, Nigeria.

Not only about the kid, but that people are donating money to a politician, who they believe represents their interests and would serve their cause if elected is a very commendable gesture. Things like this don't happen in Nigeria, rather, our politicians induce us with gifts to vote for them, and when they get into office, they embezzle our money and resources.
    I would let my kid donate to a politician if he feels strongly about it. It shows me that my child has a mind of his own and is growing up to make selfless and patriotic choices.

May 23, 2008 at 6:36 pm |
  248. Anthony in Virginia

Way to go Dalton!

Dalton has shown he will be a productive youth with this act and this act itself is hard to teach youth today.

Anthony

May 23, 2008 at 6:36 pm |
  249. Jean

I never allowed my children to get involved in ADULT issues.
    Therefore, I would never allow them to sell they toys for cause or take part in protests or rallies. It is time that parents stop discussing adult issues with children and let them have their childhood. They will have a life time to engage in adult issues, but their childhood is a very short period.

May 23, 2008 at 6:37 pm |
  250. Gill in Ireland

Jack,
    I cannot believe she took the money! and then bragged about it! Shame on you Hillary Clinton!!!!
    No I certainly would not let my kids sell their toys and donate to a politician... on second thoughts...maybe it would be ok if it was for the right candidate like Obama for example...I mean how could I stop them when they're displaying such accurate and intelligent judgement...
    I don't believe Barack would stoop so low as to accept money raised by a child selling their toys.
    Gill (a huge Jack fan) in Ireland