March 17th, 2008

Do you want more Democratic debates?

ALT TEXT
Televised CNN/LA Times/Politico Democratic Presidential Candidates Debate, January 2008 at the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles. (PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

In the off chance you haven't had your fill of political debates this primary season, you're in luck.

Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama – who have already faced off against each other 20 times – could meet up for at least one and maybe two more debates.

Both candidates have agreed to debate in Philadelphia next month, ahead of the April 22nd Pennsylvania primary. Also, Obama has agreed to a match-up on April 19th in North Carolina. No word yet on whether Clinton is in for that one.

It's not clear how much effect these debates have on voters. Throughout this primary season, we've pretty much seen it all during these face-offs: Clinton and Obama have been nice to each other, they've been nasty to each other, they've been honored to share the stage with each other, and then they've gone on the attack.

The single most memorable moment in all these meetings may have been when Senator Clinton was asked about giving drivers' licenses to illegal aliens – an idea put forth by her good friend and supporter Client Number 9, also known as New York Governor Eliot Spitzer.

So what's yet to come in Pennsylvania and perhaps North Carolina is anyone's guess.

Here’s my question to you: How interested are you in more debates between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Wendy from San Rafael, California writes:
Debates are used to clarify a candidate's stand on the issues. Now if anyone doesn't know what these candidates stand for, they don't deserve to have the right to vote. I am sick and tired of the debates. All they offer are more sound bites but nothing of substance. If they were held by the League of Women Voters as was formerly done, now then I'd be interested. They were much more substantial.

Rob from Norway, Maine writes:
I think debates are good. It forces these campaigns to stop attacking each other through surrogates and makes them actually say whatever they have to say to the other’s face. It's much more of an adult forum than the "he said, she said, then resigned" that has been going on the past few weeks.

O.A. from Austell, Georgia writes:
Jack, Come on, these debates are really getting out of whack. You become weary of something when it is done too much and I think that the Democratic debates are becoming quite weary to say the very least… The only debate I want to see from now on is between the Democratic nominee and Sen. John McCain. End of story.

Dick writes:
Yes, please. More debates. Here is my idea: We put the nomination on the line and then ask each candidate personal questions like that "Moment of Truth" TV show. The one who tells the truth the most gets the nomination.

Dan from Arizona writes:
I thought the California debate was a fun one to watch. The Texas debate was a little boring. I would still love to see more debates between Clinton and Obama because it helps undecided voters become decided. What else is there to do on Thursday nights? Unless the Phoenix Suns are playing on TV.

Kevin from Warren, Michigan writes:
More debates? Jack, only if you, Bill Maher, and Jon Stewart were the moderators. That would be an evening to remember.

Filed under: Democratic Debate
  1. Dave Brooklyn, NY

Actually, I’d be interested more than I thought. The reason is that debating is Obama’s weak point. I’d like to see if he continues to improve. If so, I will feel more confident that he will be able to overcome the McSame Bush-Lite onslaught, dirty tricks and swiftboating.

March 14, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  2. Bill Vorbeck

I like to hear them both debate each other. There is always something that can be learned. Youth verses age it very interesting
    I would like them to explain where he other were in time going back to Oboma's graduation from grade school It would be very interesting to learn what Hillary was donig while Obama was growing up.

It would show how much more experience and life time knowledge each have.

Bill
    St. Louis, MO

March 14, 2008 at 2:39 pm |
  3. Ralph from NY

Jack, I think most of us are getting sick and tired of their debates, but it might be interesting to see if the two would continue to be as cordial as they have been recently or will the next debate remind us of South Carolina. If a do-over is decided for Michigan and Florida I would especially want a debate instead of endless campaigning.

March 14, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  4. David, Tampa, Fl

I'm 59 years old. Heard it all before so that I'm about to upchuck. Since i haven't listened to anything a politition has had to say for 3 decades, I wont be too put out by not listening to one more. One of them will eventually get the nomination and either a Democrat or Republican will get elected in November and in January one moron will be replaced by another and our troubles will begin anew.

March 14, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  5. Amy in Woodstock, NY

I am really tired of the debates. There is nothing new. Until Hillary Clinton becomes transparent and releases her joint tax returns from the past 6 years, and her White House records, there really isn't much to talk about. Because how can we believe her?

March 14, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  6. Richard, Washington State

NO INTEREST!!!
    The last debate pretty much killed the enthusiam democrats had up to that debate. No more. Candidates get on your stumps and start talking about the issues, the real issues.

March 14, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  7. Jim from Michigan

More debates will only polarize the party more. Let's get this over with. I think we should force the super delegates to commit ASAP and get on with the discussion of issues with the republicans..

March 14, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  8. Charlotte - St Paul, MN

Not interested at all. These debates are usually scheduled against Lost, and yet when I flip my TV to CNN during commercial breaks, there's more drama between the candidates than between Kate and Sawyer! What the Democrats need is unity, not more back-and-forth pettiness.

March 14, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  9. Cookie South Dakota

More debates would be great IF both canidates didn't get off on Health care. I want to hear how they plan to leave Iraq, how they plan to fix the economy and how they plan to fix our borders. In all of the debates I have not heard any of these questions answer staright forward. All I hear is I am ready on day one, and change. I want real answers to the hard questions that need to be repaired in our country.

March 14, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  10. Brian From Fort Mill, S.C.

I don't think there's a whole lot more for either Obama or Clinton to say to each other. Any additional debates with each other will only tell us whether the candidates are in attack mode or playing nice. Not much new information will come out.

I'm waiting for the main event: Barack "Skinny Kid With the Funny Name" Obama vs. John "Too Old To Die" McCain!

March 14, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  11. James in Cape Coral, FL

Jack,
    As fun as it was watching Obama win debate after debate I think we all get the point. I'm sick of all the talk about how were going to address problems. Let's just get somebody nominated and put them in the position to start doing something. Enough with the health care differences.

March 14, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  12. Michael NY, NY

Jack,

I reject and denounce another debate where candidates complain over answering first regarding their position of mandates.

March 14, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  13. Denise

NOOOOOOO, the information will just be redundant. Please let's stop the debates and work on securing a nominee.

Denise
    Louisville,KY
    Obama'08

March 14, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  14. Mitchell J

Jack, I think another debate will be as interesting as a wet carrot. Right now I'm on "Campaign Vacation" and won't be off until April 22nd.

March 14, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  15. Queenl,GA

I am tired of all the debate especially watching Hillary talk makes me tired enough is enough. We all know were both of them stands on the issues. I would love to see an Obama with the old man Mc Cain in an debate. Poor old man hahahaa

March 14, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  16. Tina Ft Worth

God no. She has asked for way to many now. She should wait to see who is going to be the person going head to head with McCain and then if she is it go for more debates. All she is doing is keeping the pot stirred up for the Democrats. Why don't she tell me what she is going to do so I am not drowning in a pool of debt?

March 14, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  17. Fred R Deleon SR

Jack, if one thing we do not need is more Obama-Clinton debates.
    What is imperative is tune-up the Democratic Party. The party is falling apart. The party is using the two clowns to distract the American voter. It is simple Jack, the Democratic Party already know who the winner (not will be) IS. How so?. Elementary Dear Watson:
    To keep Washington once more an "All in the family show".
    Clinton's/ Bush's/ and Clinton's for til kindom come. We The People
    are in good but naive. God help us.

March 14, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  18. ajks

No more debates, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 14, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  19. L.M.,Arizona

If the format is right I am very interested. I would like to see them with at least a few of space between them and standing.

March 14, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  20. Adam, LV, NV

Jack, I'd like a debate about specifics. Like Ross Perot and his charts and graphs, man were those fun. But I swear if I have to hear another 2 and 1/2 hour debate of "I agree with what she/he said", I'm going to go insane....

Maybe an old day debate. One candidate talks for 30 minutes, the other one talks for 45 minutes, and the first one then gets 15 minutes more.... Could make for some fun there too..

March 14, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  21. Eugene in Northern California

Jack, a few weeks ago, I thought I'd seen enough debates, to last me a life time, but after the way Hillery has attacked Obama, through her surrogates, another debate is warranted. Hillary is much more pleasant, on stage and wouldn't dare attack Obama, with cheap shots and innuendoes, in a national debate. Opps. My wife just told me that Hillary is desperate enough, to screw up, during another debate, so let the sparks fly. Jack, I got the last word in here at home, "Yes Dear".

March 14, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  22. Chris Atlanta, GA

Can we just get to November already!?!?!?!?

March 14, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  23. Greg in Ohio

Mom always said : Tell the truth and you won't have to remember what you said. So tlet them debate and lets watch them squerm.

March 14, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  24. Mark, Berwyn PA

No more debates. I want Scrubs back on the air!!!

March 14, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  25. Tony in NY

I'd like to see a couple more..

Perhaps then the questioners will be fair and not as biased towards 1 candidate over the other as has been the norm..

March 14, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  26. J.D. In NH

No, no, no, no, a thousand times no. I couldn't stay awake through the last one and I won't even try to watch the next one. Can't we get this contest over with and move to the part that involves Republicans? It seems like this is year 7 or 8 of the campaign. I'm losing it, Jack, really losing it.

March 14, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  27. Chris MA

...I'd be interested to see the Democratic party fix the problem in Michigan and Florida. If John McCain wins the election and takes Mich. and Fla. Howard Dean should resign HEEYYAAGH!!!

March 14, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  28. Brian

My initial reaction would be no. But considering all that has transpired since the last MSNBC debate, I think there is plenty to argue about, not that I like arguments. If moderators ask insightful questions, there is certainly room for an interesting debate. Please, nothing on health care!!

March 14, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  29. Peter M Rochester, NY

It's like following your kids on to a roller coaster at the amusement park: the first time it is entertaining, maybe exciting, the second time it is still a thrill, by the third time it is just alright, and anything after that is a chore. My question to you: How interested are you in watching paint dry?

March 14, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  30. david zamani

These debates don't really interest me anymore, but the only reason why I still watch them is to see Hillary wine and complain, and start arguments with Obama because shes losing. She makes CNN look like UFC(ultimate fighting championship)

March 14, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  31. Eric

YES more debates would give more exposure to the BS each one of these bafoons spew. Neither has policy ideas that would secure borders, defeat terrorist or provide stability to our economy.

The left is a party of failed ideas. History, the corrent version not the revised version, proves that. Post JFK there is not one Democratic leader worth the powder it'd take to ....well you get my point.

March 14, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  32. Martin (Bolivia)

It would be fascinating if HRC repeats what she said on the npr morning edition that she doesn't "recall actually saying that" she promoted McCain as a better C-in-C than Obama. A detailed defence of HER grossly exaggerated C-in-C resume would also be entertaining.
    Rewriting history seems to be her greatest talent.

March 14, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  33. Michael

Only if the debates centered on illegal aliens, gun control, the economy instead of the same ole bs. Not interested in hearing same bs about who's health plan is better. How about letting Bill sit in for Billary?

March 14, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  34. George Wilson

A debate would be fine, but no loaded questions PLEASE.. I have never in my 71 years seen debates so one sided as to the moderation as these debates have been. One candidate gets a grilling, and the other gets powder puff questions, and if you don't know who I am referring too, she also always gets the first question too. The media treats Hillary as an adversary, and like yesterdays news, and the other candidate gets the soft glove treatment.
    Since you have read my first paragraph, you are probably now thinking I am racist. You are wrong, I am just standing up for the best person for the job at hand.

March 14, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  35. Bruce St Paul MN

I don't think they serve much purpose at this point, except for people who are yet to vote. Based on earlier debates, they might squabble and make each other look petty and foolish, or they might be cordial and talk about their own proposals, which makes them seem like worthy candidates, but does not do much for the person in second place. It just fortifies the status quo. The best case scenario would be a "debate" where they both contrasted themselves with McCain and the failed Bush policies. That would be an event that would promote party unity but in view of the current state of the campaign, seems highly unlikely.

March 14, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  36. robert from nc

The party doesn't need to have any more debates , so that Mr. McCain's ad people can get more sound bites. The people voting know who's who's...I say let's vote and go to Denver...Let's get this party started. Send Mr. Obama to the White House, Mr. McCain back to the Senate and the Clintons to Martha's Vineyard...Yes we can!

March 14, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  37. Rex in Portland, Ore.

Why? HRC has all the answers and will solve all of our problems single-handedly on Day One. As my ex-girlfriend once commented upon one of my poetry attemtps "I have never seen such self-aggrandizing drivel". I listened to her drivel on and on about the economy and how she coulda' done so much better – and that was just in a stump speech. No more drivel debates. She hasn't said anything new since Day One.

March 14, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  38. Mark - Asheville, NC

No point in more. It's always the same: Hillary answers the questions succinctly, and Obama stammers, gets all mixed up in digressions and is almost impossible to follow. Then the media grudgingly concede that she did well, but the poll numbers do not change because by now most Dems are solidly (and bitterly) set with their choices.

The next debates we will see will be McCain against one of the two Dems. Hillary would twist him up like a pretzel; Obama's vagueness and lack of any coherent agenda would give even a bad debater like McCain many openings. The differences between the two scenarios could not be more stark.

March 14, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  39. Carmen

I am tired of personal attacks. We need change! Our USA is going down the drain, due to this president and his secrets, lies and who knows what else they have done. They hide reports from us and lies, after lies. I for one am ready for change, I can not stand to even look at his face or even want to know anything about him.

March 14, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  40. Paulette Dallas,PA

That would be O.K. with me. Something to watch and follow on TV. I don't think that they are nesessary, but I would watch.

March 14, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  41. Chuck in Eugene Oregon

NO. There is no sense in repeating the same ol stuff and that is all that will happen. If there are more debates someone needs to call each candidate to task with the information published in CNN's FactCheck.Org; in a line by line order. If we do this lets deal with the facts and the real issues at hand, and the best way to start that is to force them into stating the truth and facts. Then let the rest of America vote accordingly having been well informed with factual information vs all those embelisments and misrepresentations of facts and truth that have ensued this race.

March 14, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  42. Dmurphy

Jack–I need another debate the way I need another hole in my head. Enough already! As far as I can tell these debates just draw attention to how similar these candidates really are on the issues and that the only major difference between them is their personalities—and this is not in Hillary’s favor.

Obama ‘08

Dana
    NY, NY

March 14, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  43. Nora. South Texas

Jack if I have to hear Hillary try to be cute and funny with her lousy shots at Obama, I think I would have to put a boot through my tv. No more please, they are for nothing, and it is the same stuff over and over. I am ready on DAY 1, Day 1, Day !, it gives me nightmares.

March 14, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  44. Cindy

It's funny... I didn't see the need for it when it was clear who was the better pontificator. In the begining of the season, Clinton was clearly the better debator.

But Obama's gotten better at it. He's a quick learner, that's for sure.

I don't like debates... especially the ones where they attack each other with irrelevent "xerox" snipes.

But one on one, "real" issue by issue, and calling out each other directly... about distortions that one has placed on the other... how they handle themselves in these situations... I think it's good. Real time corrections, real time refutation. Good experience stuff for our future commander in chief.

March 14, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  45. Nuwan Samaranayake

Sure. Why not. At least these two candidates can shake hands and smile at each other, after throwing mud at each others for this long. We can get some entertainment too.

Nuwan from Houston, Texas

March 14, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  46. Greg from Mechanicsburg, PA

The only kind of debate I would be interested in is one where both candidates can ask questions of the other and the role of the moderator was to keep the candidates stuck to the facts and to make sure they really answered the questions.

March 14, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  47. Rosalynd

No more please! The Democratic primary race is already a nightmare that should have been decided when Barack ran off a string of victories. The spineless Democratic eledrs need to stop this madness.

March 14, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  48. Martie in Gardner,Mass.

Yes, Jack, I would be interested in watching another debate between Clinton and Obama. If only to see which of Hillarys' many personalities chooses to show up. Will it be the angry, "Shame on you !" personality ? Or the "Why do I get the first questions ?" Put upon, picked on whiney personality ? Or maybe the innocent "I didn't say it" ? How about ........Good Lord, there are too many personalities to list ! Another debate could well be a laugh a minute !

March 14, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  49. Gretchen from Indiana

I would like to see all three remaining candidates get up on the stage together. I think it would give a nice early look at the fall and a much better picture of how the two Democrats play against a very popular moderate.

March 14, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  50. Howard-Joshua Tree

While the debate would help the Pennsylvanian economy it would not help any cable networks rating unless they are debates equal in form to the Lincoln Douglas debates, 23 debates is more then enough the American people do not need any more debates between these to the people need a rest from the debates in September when the Republicans and Democrats debate people pay attention.

March 14, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  51. Greg in Leavenworth Kansas

Jack, you state that "it’s not clear how much effect these debates have on voters." What about the effect these debates have on THE CANDIDATES? I have to agree with Mike Huckabee on this one – debate makes the candidates better (supposedly, and only if they stick to the issues and not resort to mud-slinging).

Let's work to make the remaining candidates the best candidates humanly possible.

Greg

March 14, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  52. April in texas

I would watch just as I have in the past but I don't think it will change my decision. Something drastic would have to happen to sway my vote. Right now if Clinton is the nominee she has alot of work to convince me shes all she says she is where Obama already had my vote in Texas.

Austin Texas

Obama '08

March 14, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  53. Ann, Charlotte, NC

I think I will schedule a root canal for the first debate and bunion surgery for the second. Both of those procedures will be less painful.

March 14, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  54. Tom Huntington,NY

I have had enough of the debates. Anyone who doesn't know where these two stand on the issues hasn't been paying attention. Having said that I will probably watch any new debates because at this point it;s like watching a train wreck. The only debate I look forward to involves McCain and the Democratic nominee.

March 14, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  55. Richard Sternagel

Another debate will show Barack Obama's Presidential demeanor and Hillary's negative win at any cost attitude! That should suffice for the voters!

March 14, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  56. Rosalynd

March 14, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  57. tco in Virginia

Yes, yes, yes but only if you and Lou Dobbs are the moderators! You two crafty curmudgeons won't let them get by with lies or avoiding the issues. The moderators of the past debates were weak or had their own agendas. You and Lou - just do it !! I'd even pay to see it.

March 14, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  58. Patricia

If John Edwards would come back into campaigning for President. At least John Edwards stuck to the issues during a debate & then a debate would have been worth watching. So I may not bother watching another Democratic debate.
    Patricia,
    Palmdale, Ca.

March 14, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  59. Michael "C" in Lorton Virginia

Another debate will only demonstrate who has the better temper.; and we already know that. After the current round of mud-slinging by Hillary's campaign supporters and advisors, I think all of them need some time off. The competetion is not going to get better with more debates, but only serve the political interest of Hillary.

March 14, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  60. Jed from Chico, CA

I can't think of anything new we'd learn about the candidates but I think that it's important for the good people of Pennsylvania and North Carolina to hear the candidiates in their own words regarding issues important to tem as a state. It's always fun to see which Hillary will show up (I'm starting to think she has an army of clones a la 'Multiplicity') And I would really like to see what they have to say about all the nasty bits that been said and done about them up to that point (Ferraro, Obama's preacher, how Hillary's chief strategist Mark Penn works for one of John McCain's top advisers, Charlie Black) Plus it'll help ease the withdrawl symptoms the political junkies will have by then.

March 14, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  61. tim from penna.

very interested if you leave billery out of it !

March 14, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  62. Velle In Halifax

Jack I would be interested in further debating ONLY if two questions were answered. One: "Each candidate state the EXACT YEARS each has spent in ELECTED OFFICE?"
    And to Senator Clinton: "Will the public receive her tax records and First Lady "records" BEFORE the Pennsylvania Primary?"
    NOT ONE American can so much as enroll a child in school, get a driver's liscense, of file taxes without the required paperwork! That Hillary thinks she can participate in an election WITHOUT publication of those documents is INSULTING!
    Any debate not including these issues is a waste of time and more so the same "pity-pat" crap!

March 14, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  63. Deborah-Grant, Michigan

Although I will be glued to any debates between Obama and Clinton, I have to say that overall they have been quite boring. Last time when Hillary whined about getting the first question all the time and how badly she was treated by the media, it sounded more like a snivelling little brat.
    It might help Obama to engage in more debates but with summer coming, they best get them in quickly. Who wants to sit in front of a Tv once the warm weather arrives?

March 14, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  64. O. A. Eze a.k.a OGB in Austell, GA

Jack,

Come on, these debates are really getting out of whack. You become weary of something when it is done too much and I think that the Democratic debates are becoming quite weary to say the very least. What is now left? You might as well give the two candidates boxing gloves and push the two of them into the ring to duke-it-out so that we can know who the eventual winner will be – that sure will be a spectacle I must say. The more debates the Democratic Party have from now on will only be an arsenal of news where the Republican Party nominee can pick up clues on how to trash the eventual Democratic nominee. The only debate I want to see from now on is between the Democratic nominee and Sen. John McCain. End of story.

March 14, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  65. Wendy

Wendy
    San Rafael, CA

March 14, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  66. dan

There hasn't been one real debate where the candidates interact between themselves. They answer questions from reporters with a certain amount of time to answer them but they don't argue among themselves, and as soon as Hillary says Obama he raises his hand for a rebutle thats been well prepared by his advisers so whats the point , they're basically doing that when they stump and answer questions from reporters. If Hillary could ask him questions and vice versa than it would be more interesting, she might ask him how he bought his house with Rezko, and he could ask her about her taxes, but the media is protecting Obama and have been bias for Obama so forget the debate. Hillary say no, it's a trap you'll have the reporters plus Obama debating you 3 against 1, not fair!

March 14, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  67. Annie, Atlanta

I'm debated out to tell you the truth, Jack. If you don't know where they stand by now, you've been living under a rock. The debates, however, are probably very profitable for the towns where they're held, so what the heck. I don't have to watch. My vote in November is going to one or the other anyway. Of course here in the extremely red state of GA, it won't count. But that's a story for another day.

March 14, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  68. Les Young Oklahoma

I think it would unwise for the Clintons to ask for anymore debates surely they have learn that the more mud they sling the dumber they sound. Just look at the last adminstration with Bush,Chaney and Carl. They really have done alot for us.

March 14, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  69. Jerry

Jack

Who gives a D_ _ _ about another debate!

Same old tired questions
    Same old tired answers
    Same old tired smiles
    Same old tired frowns
    How about a " Reality Check Debate" and Jack I'd love to see you
    be the moderator and ask some tough questions and not let
    them stray from the original question.

Jerry
    Roselle, Illinois

March 14, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  70. Dan in Goodyear, Arizona

I thought the California debate was a fun debate to watch. The Texas debate was a little boring. I would still love to see more debates between Clinton and Obama because it helps undecided voters become decided . What else is there to do on Thursday Nights? Unless the Phoenix Suns are playing on TV.

Dan
    Arizona

March 14, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  71. Sharon from Michigan

EEK !! ICK!! Not again !!! No more Debates ....... Let me see: In my 35 years of service, my health care plan in better because, I'm ready to serve on Day 1, how come I get all the questions first, where's my pillow like Saturday Night Live, if I knew then, what I know now, I wouldn't of voted for Iraq, but I'm still not sorry.. McCain and I experienced .. Did I miss anything ?

March 14, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  72. Helen

I am sick of debate. There is nothing new to learn except giving TV shows great ratings. I want Obama to make a big speech about his pastor because he scares the hell out of me and move on. I don't want to go back supporting Clinton, but If have to support Monster Clinton against Mcain , the Monster wins. I don't want another repuplicain in the white house.

March 14, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  73. DW

One Word Jack, NO!
    Have A Good Weekend!

DW
    San Francisco

March 14, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  74. Ted in Portland OR

I don't think I could stand another debate with the demeaninig, patronizing expressions seen on Hillary's face. But I do think the cackle is hilarious. Can't you just imagine her dong that in front of a visiting dignatary?...

March 14, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  75. earl illingsworth

The more the Merrier. I say, bring em on, for the sake of "holding them to their words", if need be. Let freedom ring loud, and clear by "Free Speech" and let the people decide when, and what is enough? The Neo-Democrat

March 14, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  76. Mary F. Cox

No interest whatsoever. However, please do coddle Hillary and do not ask her the questions first however much she will be glad to answer them (that's a tongue in check comment). I have seen enough of Hillary Clinton and her kitchen sink tatics to last me a life time. One more thing, I am over 65 years old and it absolutely amazes me that women in my age bracket support this woman. I have friends that support Hillary but cannot come up with one plausable reason other than she is a woman. I would vote for a woman for president but only if she is completely honest, ethical, cares for the CITIZENS of this country, and leaves out the dirty politics that has pervaded Hillary's campaign.

March 14, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  77. Joe in DE

At least one more debate. The next one should give them each 20 minutes to highlight their issues – !st deceided by a flip of coin. @ minumtes for each to respond., an at the end 5 each to summarize.
    Ther question format is unproductive.

March 14, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  78. tim from Ravenna, OH

What's the point Jack. Nothing has changed since the last one and nothing will be different if they have another one. The media has, at least in my mind, successfully destroyed the Clinton campaign while propping up the sacrificial lamb in Obama. Is there anyone out there that really believes that the Republicans will back off after the Obama people start crying and pouting about unfair tactics? Just give McCain the White House and take all the money being wasted on this popularity contest that has nothing to do with issues and use the money for something useful like....ok never mind, our gov't would just waste it anyway.

March 14, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  79. Dick B

Yes Please. More debates. Here is my idea. We put the nomination on the line and then ask each candidate personal questions like that "Moment of Truth" tv show. The one that tells the truth the most gets the nomination.

March 14, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  80. Kevin

More debates? Jack only if you, Bill Maher, and Jon Stewart were the moderators. That would be an evening to remember.

Kevin
    Warren, MI

March 14, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  81. QUEEN ESTHER ohio

i want debates but not from canidates. i want us normal people to get into a forum and open up talks about the way we want our government to behave. I prefer if we just take inventory of our system and then throw out the trash which has been handed down to us from those who have profited from being in the government and sold it to the highest bidder. I want my country back to the way it was before all the lobbyist got their. i want to throw out the bath water that has been polluted by the greed of people that have ruled for the last 28 years. I want my country back. FOR THE PEOPLE AND OF THE PEOPLE. lawyers need not apply

March 14, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  82. Barbara

No more televised debates and may I suggest a moratorium on comedy/late night TV appearances as well? Jon Stewart's Hillary love-fest the night before the Texas/Ohio primaries was too much to bear. And I don't even own a TV!!

March 14, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  83. Damian

Oh Jack, they haven't had 20 debates one-on-one.... about 3.
    They should at least have a couple more.

Also Jack, you come across disingenuous when you claim that the drivers’ licenses incident was most memorable. Most folks had forgotten about that way back. Clearly just an attempt to connect Hillary to Spitzer. When Clinton clarified her position she disagreed with him in any case, so it's a bit of a non point.
    Hillary's Standing ovation was probably the most memorable!

I'd be more focused on Obama's very close friend and confidant Rev. Jeremiah Wright, a fanatical bigot whom Obama holds in great esteem!

March 14, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  84. joe m.

we've heard these two go at it in debates enough times. unless one of them has a bomb to drop on the other, we really can't learn much more from these face offs. the only way another debate could be interesting and informative is if it is formatted as a WWF-style cage match. we know their positions, which are not that different. we've heard their arguments, and it remains the same. these two just have to keep slogging it out to the bitter end.

March 14, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  85. Gigi in Alabama

I would welcome more debates between the two of them. Ask the tough questions and make them answer . . . not give you a bunch of double-talk. If you really listen to them, neither of them will give a straight up and down answer.

March 14, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  86. CB

Please NO! We had enough drama and trauma for a lifetime. No more healthcare soliloquies and I reject and denouncing! The winds of change are blowing louder. Obama is the People's Choice!

CB in Wright, FL

March 14, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  87. Tracy in San Diego

Only if someone on the panel will have the courage to ask a specific question and get a specific answer from the candidates especially from Senator Obama. Our country is in crisis--shouldn't we know exactly what someone is going to do about gas prices, the falling dollar, the crumbling economy and the brewing hostilities in the world toward the United States. Or should I just hope?

March 14, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  88. Rob Norway, ME

I think debates are good. It forces these campaigns to stop attacking each other through surrogates and makes them actually say whatever they have to say to the others face. It's much more of an adult forum than the "he said, she said, then resigned" that has been going on the past few weeks.

March 14, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  89. Len, Colorado

Not Really! But if there are debates, please have the moderator only ask questions that pertain to the important issues. You know like, the war, economy, environment, jobs needed in America, Diplomacy, the budget, and how will you bring the Democrtatic party together.

March 14, 2008 at 3:59 pm |
  90. Corey

Yes i do think that more debates would help. This would give Hillary clinton Who i support a another chance to reach out to all people that want to hear more baout her message. Also she does very well when she is on stage.

March 14, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  91. Ronald J McEvoy

Well, seeing how we've seen everything inside the kitchen sink but SOLUTIONS, why not. These debates make me feel like I am watching Jeopardy. Every answer they give is in the form of a question and I don't see Alex anywhere. Most of the time they compare themselves to each other, kind of like E-harmony. How many dimensions of compatibility do they have, I thought the limit was 29.

March 14, 2008 at 4:02 pm |
  92. ben

Jack
    Another debate, another chance for Hillary to cry about getting the first question. I would love to see Obama offer her a tissue. If you don't know what the issues are or who stands for what, the debate will not answer it for you anyway.

Ben
    Louisville, Ky

March 14, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  93. chuck cornett

Jack, I think I need to ponder that thoght HELL NO! What good would it do for one more debate by this time if we dont know where these people stand we will never know , one more debate wont help Hillary any way it will take an act of God!!!!!!!

March 14, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  94. bill pike

how do you spell NO-let them now go city to city and talk to the people, another debate sells papers but enough of the governor of NY talk also.

March 14, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  95. Ann, Newton, New Jersey

Only if they are able to tell the American people what they are going to do about fixing the economy, the war, health care and amnesty. Questions are redundant. Moderaters should be left out. They ask the same old questions over and over again. Have only one person, Jack, to be the referee to make sure one does not dominate.

March 14, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  96. Isabelle, NY

Unless they're planning on discussing something new, I have to say I'm sick of seeing them agree about almost every issue except two and then having the media draw random conclusions from them. If I want to know a candidates position on something, I'll go on their website where there are no commercial breaks.

March 14, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  97. IFEANYI AZUBIKE Houston, Texas

Jack, there is absolutely nothing new to learn from debates that have failed woefully to clearly differentiate between both candidates. I doubt that anybody is interested in listening to a debate that brings out the best in civility but fails to guarantee that the candidates do not throw the kitchen sink at each other as soon as they step away from the debates. The only other face to face that I want from both woud be perhaps in a boxing or wrestling ring. Away with debates, gives us the unfiltered and excting dirt from the soap box.

March 14, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  98. Eric Platt

Only if the rules are changed.

All questions must be phrased so that they can be answered "yes" or "no".

The candidates must answer "yes", "no", or "I decline to answer".

No blathering, no ducking of questions, no changing the topic, no answering the wrong question, and no long discourses on unrelated topics.

March 14, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  99. Independent for Obama, Salt Lake City, UT

Enough with debates, I think they have been informative but at this late date the candidates need to save their energy for the big battle.

March 14, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  100. Dave in Ontario Canada

Sure, the debates are like love-ins and are the only time Hillary behaves.

If not a love-in, then the only thing we'll hear at the next debate is "I know you are but what am I?"

March 14, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  101. Frank

They haven't build the meter that can measure my indifference to more debates. Watching more of these debates to help make up your mind has the same effect as slowing down to pass a wreck somehow helps the victims.

March 14, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  102. J.C. from Raleigh, NC

Jack,
    The debates have run their course. Hillary had an advantage in the early debates because of her name recognition, and Barack proved a quick study by the last debate in which he appeared to beat her or at least tie her. I'd prefer seeing both return to the Senate and go about their duties as senators. Another alternative to endless debates and campaigning would be for the candidates to go to New Orleans and do some Habitat for Humanity work in the manner of Jimmy Carter. They should invest the millions they've collected from supporters and invest in the people, not in their advisers and in ad agencies. Now, that would be a campaign worth taking note of.

March 14, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  103. Janice

March 14, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  104. Scott

very much, it's the one forum that shows obama-mania has to piggyback on someone elses words , not his own.

scott missouri

March 14, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  105. Elena

Nada. Nada dern thing. What ELSE is there to talk about? Let the people vote!

March 14, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  106. Rob G.

How about a boxing match instead of another debate? Throw some gloves on Hillary & Barack & let 'em go a few rounds in the ring. I'll tune in for that! I betcha Hillary's got a mean left.

March 14, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  107. Mary

Jack, Yes, I would be very interested in more debates and more information on Obama. You people in the news media and press are so in favor of Obama and too quick to trash Hillary so that we don't know that much about Obama. You need to investigate Obama more and more as we need to know about him.

Mary
    Asheville NC

March 14, 2008 at 4:14 pm |
  108. Dan

NO MORE DEBATES!

Obama is too inexperienced, Clinton is too much of a conniver and McClain is too old!

To paraphrase, suppose they held an election and nobody came!

March 14, 2008 at 4:14 pm |
  109. kevin

Absolutely not!!Any more of this and they will be arguing over who is goig to star in the newest soap opera"AS THE STOMACH TURNS'.

March 14, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  110. Peg Duncan

What could they possibly say that they haven't already said. It would be much better for them to spend time in town hall type meetings with voters, not news commentators and such. You guys keep asking the same stupid questions over and over and treporting the same sound bites over and over. No in depth answers come out of time crunched debates. We only see that they have learned how not to make a mistake.

Peggy
    Traverse City, MI

March 14, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  111. Emma from Baltimore

Having a debate before the Pennsylvania Primary may actually help heal Party wounds, since they tend to be so cordial in each other's presence. However, there needs to be a way to enforce the rules of the debate - like turning off the mike or giving them some sort of penalty marker to indicate that they didn't play by the rules. And we need some heavy-hitting moderators, like Tim Russert and Chuck Todd, who can ask them some really tough questions and make them squirm.

March 14, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  112. Kirk (Apple Valley, MN)

I would love to see more debates between Hillary and Obama, as long as Obama is asked some tough questions and is forced to answer them. You news people are so much in love with Obama that you are treating him with kid gloves, while punishing Hillary. But Obama doesn't want more debates because sooner or later people will actually begin to see through his thin lies of "change" for the country.

March 14, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  113. Al, Lawrence KS

I want more debates...but only on Saturday Night Live.

March 14, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  114. tonyh

I don't think there should be another debate. Everybody in the whole world, not only in the US, knows how both think and what they would do if they were elected, so please, stop the circus.
    I remember when she said "Meet me in Ohio, Obama!!!" in a menacing way and a few days later she was all smiles next to him. Give me a break!!
    Twenty debates is more than enough!!

March 14, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  115. Cheryl, Upstate, NY

Hey Jack,
    Am I banned from your Blogs. None of my comments have been posted in the last week.

March 14, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  116. John from Boston

No need for more rhetoric filled debates, the voters have a good enough idea at this point of where the candidates stand.

March 14, 2008 at 4:20 pm |
  117. Jerry Wilson

Yes, hearing from the candidates is always refreshing. Unfortunitly, pundits will offer their, juicy, spicy, and tangy interpretations of what is said in the debate.....as if we aren't bright enough to understand what we just heard. The pundits sometime resemble little old ladies in a knitting circle, breathless with tales to tell.

March 14, 2008 at 4:20 pm |
  118. Kevin- Webster, MA

Same players same story. I am about debated out. I would like to here what they actually will do about the weakened dollar, sky high gas and even higher heating oil. The disolving of the Ethenonol fiasco. Not in a debate form, but in a candid, show me their proposal as to what they will do, how they will do it, and why their program will actually get past Congress. I am tired of how great they were, how the other isn't as qualified. Just shoot me a proposal I can review and actualy believe.

March 14, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  119. Angela - Arlington VA

No more debates please....

March 14, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  120. John from Tennessee

No more debates. Hilary hasn't had anyone intelligent to debate since Edwards dropped out. Obama proved that he can't debate. Yoyuhave to know what you are taliking about and Obama has shown that he doesn't know. Hillary has won everyone of them.

March 14, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  121. Daniel From Tempe AZ

I would be very interested, but under the condition that the moderator can actually get them to answer very specific questions about the issues, not some long drawn out speech that is nothing more than hot air and does nothing to tell the American people how they are going to implement their so called positions. Good luck on getting that done.

March 14, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  122. theresa

Jack i have reached a point where my blood pressure goes up everytime there is a debate lately, The truth is I support Obama but as an intelligent sucessfull business woman I am like most of my female friends, I am embarrassed by watching Bush and Clinton anymore. What a shame that so many women feel this way and these two people claim to represent the best interest of the american people. Mkes you wonder who do they think they are representing really!

March 14, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  123. Wendy

I'm not interested in them at all anymore....if Americans haven't made up their minds by now.....they never will!....how many times do we have to go in circles.....before we yell "stop!"
    Arizona

March 14, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  124. Billy, MI

Enough with the debates. I think twenty one is more than enough to know where the candidates stand. However, if Pennsylvania needs another one then by all means give it to them. Afterall, the road to the Whitehouse goes through PA. (eyes rolling)

March 14, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  125. Burt

Jack,
    There is no longer any need for any debate. With the news that broke yesterday, Sayonara Barack.
    Burt

March 14, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  126. Deanna, Katy Texas

It really is a mute point. They have debated to a draw the last couple of times and it really only gives them the chance to belittle each other it seems.

March 14, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  127. Katy

No, period. I am sick and tired to Hillary game playing: victim, attacker, fighter, etc. No more debate please.

March 14, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  128. Ginger

No, no more debates
    I want Hillary to graciously back Obama and get out of denial.

March 14, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  129. rclendz

Yes, just one more to show the remaining voters how bad Obama looks when he is pressed for votes. Have you noticed that Hillary only loses when there is no debate and how Barack refuses to debate before every primary???

I wonder why? Hillary is the clear choice.

March 14, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  130. Sherrie

No! I think we have all the answers we need or that the two of them will give us!

March 14, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  131. Tim Legendre

There is no point to it. The 5% of people that care about the issues already know where each candidate stands. The other 95% just put on a giant foam finger and are cheering their candidate on no matter what they say.

March 14, 2008 at 4:31 pm |
  132. Seth Shotwell

We don't need more debates ... the issue is dead. Obama is winning this thing and Clinton needs to step aside and let the Democratic Party focus on McCain. I would however like to see a cage match between Clinton and Obama after Obama's 8 year term is over. He can't take her right now ... she's too tough and mean, but I think by the time she's pushing 70 he'll have a chance.

Seth Shotwell
    Bothell, WA

March 14, 2008 at 4:31 pm |
  133. M. Harris

Jack, I wouldn't watch another debate between Clinton and Obama if it were in my front yard. Sen. Obama cannot win because he is a gentleman and allows her to continue her tirades without interrupting her. She lost the title "lady" long ago. Additionally, I think we have all heard everything we need to hear. If there is anyone that has not figured out who speaks for what then they have been living under a rock. This is all just unnecessary talk and people are tuning out to it after all these debates and after all this time. How long can an election process last! New Mexico

March 14, 2008 at 4:33 pm |
  134. Kevin - Albany, NY

More debates, Jack? You mean more infighting? More opportunities to divide the party? If the voters of PA have not watched any of the previously televised debates, I'm sure they can find them online. The real question the Dems need to ask themselves now is not who will win in a debate between Barack and Hillary, but who do they want to represent them in a debate against John McCain?

March 14, 2008 at 4:35 pm |
  135. Indianapolis for Obama

On one hand no, I don't want them to debate anymore. If I have to hear the phrase "On day one" one more time I think I'll puke. On the other hand, I would welcome another opportunity for Hillary to show her cat stripes and watch Obama continue to deflect in a calm cool way.

March 14, 2008 at 4:35 pm |
  136. Ralph

Yes, have more debates. This is an important period. Obama needs to clean up his pastor's statements and Hillary is showing the most leadership. The person who is at their best when things are at their worse is the one you want. Rick, Yakima, Wa.

March 14, 2008 at 4:35 pm |
  137. Tom, Avon, Maine, The Heart of Democracy

What's the point? Everyone knows Clinton has no hope of beating Obama. These debates only serve as an opportunity to waste Obama's time while McCain fund raises and girds his loins.

If the Super Delegates had even average intelligence they would come out for Obama now and let him get on the starting blocks before McCain gets too much of a head start.

March 14, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  138. Brian, Tampa, Fl

Jack,
    Please foward this to Sen Hillary, o I almost forgot, also Pres Bill Clinton (not going to happen 3rd term)

Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall
    Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
    All the king’s horses
    And all the king’s men
    Couldn’t put Humpty together again.

Thanks, have a great weekend.

March 14, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  139. CT Voter

Enough is enough already!

March 14, 2008 at 4:39 pm |
  140. Ruby Coria, LA. CA.

Jack, No more debates in these 5 wks it's time to nail them on the proposals they have layed out, and if the nail bends then it won't hold up in Nov. Obama should go to Church and Pray and get more Insiration, since he's running on Hope n Judgment.

March 14, 2008 at 4:39 pm |
  141. Mike S., New Orleans, Louisiana

Oh hella no! Let them flip a coin, or maybe arm wrestle. Although arm wrestling might be unfair to Obama.

March 14, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  142. Gloria Cleveland OH

No more debates, please. What have all the other debates accomplish? When it comes to the voting, people don't even remember what they heard during those debates. I know I don't remember anything significant from the debates except the the silly comments.

March 14, 2008 at 4:41 pm |
  143. Karl in CA

Debate what? You mean they haven't ran everything into the ground yet? No more, please. My stomach turneth over.

March 14, 2008 at 4:42 pm |
  144. Jeff in E. Lyme, CT

No more debates are necessary. It's all been said, why rehash it? Although, I think Hillary has a fine future in sales when she's done in the Senate.

March 14, 2008 at 4:42 pm |
  145. Tom, Y-town, OH

Stick a fork in the Democratic nominations Jack.....they're done.
    What's been said, has been said. Why give the Hill more of an opportunity to smear her candidate w/ more of her useless rhetoric of why FL and Michigan delegates should not be disenfrancished even though nothing was mentioned by her in her previous debates opening such a topic up for discussion as well as her untruths and half truths that are bent to undermine her opponent and run over anything that stands in her way to her nomination and Bill's opportunity to become the nation's first gentleman?

March 14, 2008 at 4:43 pm |
  146. Niambi, New Jersey

I have watched the last 4 debates. The candidates never say anything new or different. I can answer the questions for them. It would be nice to have a debate that is solely moderated by everyday citizens. That might spice it up a little. I

March 14, 2008 at 4:43 pm |
  147. Kim, Canada

I would like to see a half an hour given to each candidate, separately to out line their issues. Answer questions. Equal time with no commentary from anyone just let the public decide. No analyzes after as this seems to sway people more then anything.

March 14, 2008 at 4:43 pm |
  148. Renee Las Vegas

Yes because the more Obama debates the better he gets. This time he'll come with both guns blazing!

March 14, 2008 at 4:44 pm |
  149. Terry from: Fayetteville NC

I'd like to see more real issues illuminated by debate but there is a 50% chance that Ms. Hyde will show up instead of Hillary and campaign for McBush ahh... McCain.

I can watch Judge Judy if I want to see someone shake their finger, cast shame about and lecture on behavior.

March 14, 2008 at 4:44 pm |
  150. Independent

I like a good debate, but have not seen one yet. Tell me something I have not heard a million times. What specifically are you going to do about the economy? How are you going to pull out of Iraq without undoing the progresss that has been made? Is anyone going to ask Obama a tough question and press him hard if does not give a good response. I mean a good response according to what the average voter with doubts might want to know.

March 14, 2008 at 4:44 pm |
  151. benji

March 14, 2008 at 4:46 pm |
  152. Marie

It's to the point now that there cannot be that many Democratic undecided voters left. It looks like the longer the Clinton campaign is hurling the kitchen sink at Obama to see what sticks, the party is becoming more deeply divided and set in stone. I think most people see these debates now like a reality show – Hillary creates sparks while Obama reacts then inspires. The upside – It beats most of what's on tv, excluding The Cafferty File and The Situation Room, of course!

Marie in SC

March 14, 2008 at 4:47 pm |
  153. Sher

I'm really not all that interested, but it does seem that the campaigns really became ugly after the final debate. So. . ..if debates are what it takes to keep the Clinton and Obama people from destroying each other, I'd be willing to listen to one every night from now until September.

March 14, 2008 at 4:47 pm |
  154. John Idaho

Not if you guys moderate, "Censor", like you do these comments! I wonder how many don't get printed just because they don't share your views?

March 14, 2008 at 4:47 pm |
  155. Mike Bailey

Jack, we need another Clinton/Obama debate like we need another Cheney hunting trip. Instead of a debate how about pugil sticks for a half hour then we let Samanatha Powers mud wrestle Geraldine Ferraro now that would be entertainment

March 14, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  156. Bill from Oklahoma

Yeah I would like to see another debate as long as MSNBC is not involved

March 14, 2008 at 4:49 pm |
  157. Linda of Atlanta

I am personally not at all interested in seeing another debate between Obama and Clinton. We have had enough debates for people to know who the candidates are. What we need is for Howard Dean to act like the leader he is supposed to be and reign this thing in before we have four more years of McBush.

March 14, 2008 at 4:49 pm |
  158. Martha Davidson Vancouver British Columbia

Sure Jack, why not?

I would like that about as much as another root canal, or reliving the pain of childbirth. Can't someone just lock Hillary in a room, and replay the last 20 debates until she hollers "uncle"?

March 14, 2008 at 4:52 pm |
  159. Tina from Lavalette WV

If Obama could say something besides I agree with Hillary then we may get to hear something interesting. Also, if the debates were fair and not focused and favor Obama then he may be put in the hot seat and not put on the pedestal as in the past. In the South Carolina debate Hillary was the one blamed for the nastiness when Obama started and since she has been accused of being nasty in the campaign. Just because you wear a smile while putting someone down does not stray from the meaning and this is what Obama does on a consistent basis.

March 14, 2008 at 4:57 pm |
  160. Angela

Hey Cheryl – did any of your arguements make sense? Then you were probably banned.....but don't feel bad – you have a lot of company

March 14, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  161. Beverley, Fredricksburg Va

Jack,

Yes indeed! Every debate has gotten more viewers, but I believe the current sit down format is worn thin and unrealistic considering all the mud slinging. So I suggest for the next one we have the senators debate in a steel cage wearing caped costumes?

March 14, 2008 at 5:00 pm |
  162. Jenny from Nanuet, New York

Obama can choose a qualified woman to be his VP. Someone who cares more about the Democratic party than about herself.

March 14, 2008 at 5:01 pm |
  163. Lenore Z.

No more debates, no more late-night comedy, no more Saturday Night Live, no more pundits, no more silly attacks, no more phony discourse.

March 14, 2008 at 5:02 pm |
  164. Tom Suprock

Debates? Is somebody confused about which candidate thinks what? This is posturing ad nauseum.

March 14, 2008 at 5:03 pm |
  165. Jenny from Nanuet, New York

I am very interested in seeing Obama ask Clinton about her tax returns and First Lady documents. I'm also wondering why HILLARY is now not so fast to debate again.

March 14, 2008 at 5:03 pm |
  166. Kathy

Jack:
    I for one am sick and tired of purported "debates." If they're going to debate, then debate....not be given notice of the questions they'll be asked. Let's do a debate on unknown questions. Maybe we'll get the truth, not predetermined answers after thinking about how the public will react!

March 14, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  167. onenibble

Jack, there can never be too many debates. Perhaps we can hear Hillary discuss some of the issues, while Obama copies her answers.

March 14, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  168. David

I have absolutely no desire to have to suffer through another debate. We have heard the positions of these two for months now and its a clear fact that everyone has their minds made up on who they plan to vote for, everyone that is except the superdelegates. They need to have the guts and the intestinal fortitude to stand up now and make an endorsement to put this nightmare to an end. Quit listening to Nancy Pelosi who thinks this is good for the Democratic Party. What planet does she live on? This primary has become seriously divisive and is going to hand the Republican Party the presidency on a silver platter.

David from Kentucky

March 14, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  169. James Doran from Limerick, Ireland

Hi Jack, Im very interested to see more debates between these two, since i live in Ireland i have to stay up really late to watch these debates, i do think the election process is drawn out but its great TV, also whoever wins democrate election will go on to win the general election, Because people are interested in these two and they want to see more, I cant wait to see anyone of these two go up against John McCain and then you will see fireworks......

March 14, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  170. Dion

March 14, 2008 at 5:05 pm |
  171. Chris T. in St. Louis

YES, definitely more debates and without a Moderator! Just the two candidates for a couple of hours discussing policy, surrounded by a large group of fact finders and their laptops, verifying and instantly informing us when one or the other is guilty of embellishing, or stretching the truth.

Now that would be entertaining!

March 14, 2008 at 5:07 pm |
  172. karen from va

Jack,
    Yeah, but I want Steven Colbert, Chris Rock and Borat to moderate

March 14, 2008 at 5:07 pm |
  173. Herman

No more debates, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have had enough.

March 14, 2008 at 5:11 pm |
  174. pupnannie

There may have been 20 debates but not between just these two candidates. There were so many candidates in the debates at first that no one got enough time to find out what they are about. I am for more debates...it's nice to see Hillary show obama up debate after debate...Go Hillary...

March 14, 2008 at 5:11 pm |
  175. Jerry

None, enough said. This has turned into a race card issure for Obama, I was at one time going to vote for Obama but all his black supporters have changed my mind. The white voters had better be careful, they may get more then they had bargened for.

March 14, 2008 at 5:11 pm |
  176. Julie

As interested as hearing Jack Cafferty ask another question about another debate.

March 14, 2008 at 5:12 pm |
  177. snoopy

There were so many candidates in the debates at first that no one got enough time to find out about them. I'm for more debates..it is so much fun to see Hillary show up obama. Go Hillary

March 14, 2008 at 5:12 pm |
  178. Slap Stick, FLORIDA

Hell No. Folks need to pick up newspapers, magazines, go on-line to the websites, everything about the policies and plans are there. Not to mention we have seen 20 already. Enough is Enough

March 14, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  179. john marlton,nj

Very interested in more debates. Hillary needs to expose Obama as the racist and radical activist he is, as well as, show his words are of a false political prophet. The herds of young people and others baited to believe Obama’s rhetoric will be damaged and forever cause great harm to our political process.

March 14, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  180. Ralph Taliercio - Long Island, NY

Only if it's moderated by Chuck Barris in the old Gong Show format.

March 14, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  181. Bill

Jack,
    Please, NO more debates. We all know the 3 candidates positions! It is time to focus on the House and Senate candidates. They are the ones who are responsible for the current recession. We would all like to know if they plan to fix any of the problems they have created? Do any of them see that giving billions of tax payer dollars to their big political contributors will NOT solve the current recession but may bring on a real depression. The R is real and here now, the depression is rising on the financial horizon.
    Bill
    TX

March 14, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  182. Janis in West Milton Ohio

I can hardly stand to think about politcs anymore. I'm not sleeping, tossing and turning waiting for the next poll results,the next campaign person to be fired or quit [but only after making the headlines all day], the next piece of dirty laundry to be aired [or made up and then aired]. It's so bad that on March 4th I arose from bed and said "Happy Primary Day" to my husband. I planned what snacks to have on hand as we watched to see who scored the most points, sorry I meant won the most delegates of course.
    I'm not sure I can stand another debate. Come on Hillary, if you were going to win by debates wouldn't you have the lead after 20 debates!!!!!

March 14, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  183. Tom Cowles

I could watch the debate on television with the sound off and still get as much with it on. Talk about the law of diminishing returns. Enough already. The convention can't come soon enough. Tom

March 14, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  184. Dena Montclair NJ

Absolutely NOT!! 20 was enough!! this is getting silly now!!

I want to hear debates with McCain

The USA is in serious trouble there is no time for silly politics we need to see the different proposals that Obama and McCain have to help us.

March 14, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  185. Eli of Stockbridge

No, No, No.... It will be a draw once again, and Hillary Clinton will keep it focused on health care. If she doesn't close the deal, we will get a chance to see the rest of the hidden arsenal of tricks she has in store for the press to slay Obama with.

March 14, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  186. Theresa from Minnesota

I am very interested in more debates. If nothing else it will shut the candidate's staffers up for an hour.

March 14, 2008 at 6:53 pm |