February 12th, 2008

Whose endorsement would matter in Dem. race?

Click the play button to see what Jack and our viewers had to say.

Click the play button to see what Jack and our viewers had to say.

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama both want the same thing from their former rival, John Edwards: his endorsement.

Clinton made a secret visit to Edwards' North Carolina home last week to ask for his support, and Obama is also planning to meet with Edwards. With his strong following among working-class white voters, it's expected an Edwards endorsement could give either candidate an important edge in states like Ohio, Pennsylvania and Texas.

But Edwards isn't the only big-name Democrat who hasn't picked sides yet. How about Al Gore?

Sources close to the former vice president say not to expect him to endorse either Clinton or Obama during the primary season. They say he's on good terms with the two candidates and talks to both of them.

But there's another reason. If it becomes necessary down the road, Gore would be in a position as an elder statesman of the Democratic party to negotiate a deal between Clinton and Obama.

As for two other top Democrats – Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi – sources say neither has plans to endorse a candidate.

It's very much an open question how much endorsements matter. Even with the support of both senators, John Kerry and Edward Kennedy along with other members of the Kennedy family, Barack Obama still lost the Massachusetts primary to Hillary Clinton.

Here’s my question to you: Whose endorsement would make a difference in the Democratic presidential race?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Mark writes:
The one endorsement which would make a big difference would be Colin Powell. That would indicate which candidate has the best prospect of gaining Republican votes.

Scott writes:
Personally, I think a John Edwards endorsement will make the biggest difference. Al Gore is yesterday's news to most voters.

Dylan writes:
Absolutely no endorsement should sway a voter from who they feel would be the best presidential candidate. Endorsements are nice, but we're the working class voters, not the overpaid politicians who think that the sun shines out of their ever orifice.

John writes:
Last I checked, our southern liberal friend Jimmy Carter is still alive. What could cause a bigger stir than another presidential endorsement for Hillary or Obama tying the score (considering Mrs. Clinton has Bill)? He is a listed superdelegate, he'll have to make a choice in August at the latest anyway.

Irene writes:
I would respect an endorsement for Barack Obama by my father. My father is a lifelong Republican, Vietnam vet, and outspoken individual. Therefore, if Obama can capture my father's vote, then he really CAN bring everyone together!

Robert writes:
Edwards' endorsement: interesting, but not a deciding factor. Gore's endorsement: a little more interesting, but still not a deciding factor. Pelosi's or Reid's endorsement: irrelevant, uninteresting, and a joke. The only endorsement that matters to me is my own endorsement of a candidate. I make up my own mind, thank you very much.

Darla writes:
That's easy, Jack: the voters.

Filed under: Democratic Race
  1. Loren, Delhi NY

Jimmy Carter

February 12, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  2. Gino

Whose endorsements would matter in the Democratic race? How about Lou Dobbs and yours, Mr. Cafferty? Were I a contender in the race, I would not want to be endorsed by any of the politicos "reigning" in Congress or the Senate, or any other politicos, period... I would prefer to be endorsed by the people a President is to serve! I wish that Presidents be elected by the majority of voters and not by the so-called Electoral College!

February 12, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  3. CJ, Delhi NY

Al Gore, Jimmy Carter and Michael Moore. Actually Michael Moore already voted for Obama but his vote didn't count being from Michigan.

February 12, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  4. Richard Sternagel

Jack, I don't think any endorsement would matter except maybe John Edwards! Look at Gore's endorsement of Dean did that go anywhere! No!

February 12, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  5. Jim Galvin

If Bill Clinton would decide to endorse Obama, that would make a difference. Don't you think so, Jack?

February 12, 2008 at 2:35 pm |
  6. W B in Las Vegas, Nevada

I think that an endorsement of either Obama or Clinton by a moderate Republican like Colin Powell would be a blockbuster. it would say to other moderates that it is OK to support the best potential leader for the country and that they don't have to blindly vote for the candidate who will probaby continue the failed policies of Bush and Cheney.

February 12, 2008 at 2:37 pm |
  7. Pinky Tuscadero Wisonsin

Geez Jack, now that is a tough one. First of all we would have to find a Democrat with a spine. Quite frankly, I don’t think there are any currently serving.

February 12, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  8. Will K. San Jose, CA

Edwards is the only endorsement with any weight, because he's the only one with any delegates. At this point that's the only thing that matters.

February 12, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  9. BOB

Jack, You are doing a great job!
    My comment: When I was growing up as a boy, I thought our congress members walked on water. Now that i am older than most of them, I think we have the most idiotic, incompetent of all possible.

February 12, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  10. Annie, Atlanta GA

John Kerry's endorsement of Obama, if the voting public is either paying attention to the reasoning behind it, or coming to the same conclusions on their own.

February 12, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  11. Michael "C" in Lorton

John Edwards wouldn't hurt......

February 12, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  12. Lacressha

The endorsement that would mean the most to the democrats at this time would possibly come from Colin Powell. I think his endorsement of Barack Obama would show the Bush administration that he is tired of their pathetic policies also. I honestly think that the Bush Administration has caused him some integrity in the eyes of the rest of the world because they deceived him into standing up for them with known faulty evidence. I think that he believed the evidence was real but when he found out otherwise, his resignation was looming at the door of the oval office.

Oh by the way, I think a Barack Obama/Colin Powell ticket would be a dream ticket instead of the Barack Obama/Hillary Clinton ticket.

Atlanta, Georgia

February 12, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  13. john, marlton nj

My endorsement is the only one that makes a difference. I have come to the conclusion that the value of celebrity, pundit, politician or media endorsements are worth what you pay for them, NOTHING.

February 12, 2008 at 2:49 pm |
  14. Greg from PA

Who would Jesus vote for? At least he could be trusted to give sound advice and not have any hidden agendas.

February 12, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  15. Rex in Portland, Ore.

God's. No, wait a minute – He already endorsed the republican party. But I seriously douby that it would help The Senator From New York at this point, anyhow.

Perhaps if John McCain endorsed one or the other candidate it could make some sort of - nah, wouldn't matter.

Steven Spielberg? Tom Hanks? Chuck Norris? .. . . . I got it!!!!!! Amy Wineberg.

February 12, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  16. Candice - NYC

I think the most important endorsement yet to be given is that of John Edwards. I suspect he is sitting back waiting to see who pulls ahead. Though he keeps denying it, he is looking for the #2 spot.

I think and Obama/Edwards ticket sounds good. Edwards can capture so demographics Obama has not been able to like the "working class".

I think they would be the "Dream Ticket".

Candice from NYC

February 12, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  17. Ralph

Jack, the most valuable endorsement any of the Democratic candidates could receive would be from Edwards. In fact, I see a truly "dream ticket" being one with Edwards running for President, his running mate being the one who ends up with the most elected delegates.

February 12, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  18. Bob/Traverse city Mich

Jack I believe Colin Powell Would make a huge difference to any candidate he chose to endorse and he would give legitimacy to the military and foreign policy credentials of any administration he offered to serve. The neo cons of the bush administration used and abused this great man and I cannot believe the last has been written of this american patriot.

February 12, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  19. Brian M. From Fort Mill, S.C.

George W. Bush. If he endorsed either Obama or Hillary (or Bill for that matter), McCain would win by a landslide.

February 12, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  20. Dave Brooklyn, NY

It is not who endorses, but who doesn’t endorse a campaign that makes a difference. Fortunately for the Democratic candidates, President Bush has not endorsed any of them, otherwise, they’d be toast.

February 12, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  21. Steve

Endorsements are completely overrated and probably do little good. However, the endorsement that might help a candidate (but will not happen) would be Al Gore's. He has done well to stay out of this picture and carries some weight because of it.

February 12, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  22. Jess, Ohio

Jack,

I could care less about who endorses whom and unfortunately it seems like that is becoming a key component in people's decision making. Is Obama going to do a 'better' job knowing that Oprah is endorsing him? What about Senator John Glenn or Jack Nicholson endorsing Hillary, will that make her be a more effective President, I don't think so.
    It's really too bad if individuals make their vote based upon which celebrity is endorsing what candidate instead of what each candidate really stands for and fights for.

February 12, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  23. liz florida

I think Edwards would help Clinton a little but overall I don't think endorsments are really worth much. Since I don't know who is endorsing Hillary or Obama unless they get up on the stage or are in my state ,it's not information that is changing how I feel about each candidate. I am looking at the issues and the experience and far beyond the race. It's the people who end up in the white house that will mean something after all is said and the last banner is down.

February 12, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  24. Lynn in Holland, Ohio

Probably Karl Rove. The democrats would then have have their backdoor answer about who is electable.

February 12, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  25. James from Cape Coral, FL

Jack,
    First off let's forget Al Gore. He would never bet against his pal's The Clinton's. There is so much hype over Al Gore, but besides his stance on global warming what does he offer? Endorsements are meaningless unless they come from meaningful people. The only endorsement I care about is John Edwards. He spoke directly to the American Middle Class and actually talked about the issues that matter to us.

February 12, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  26. Cale Forty(D)

Edwards and Bush. Bush has made his and I believe it will hurt McCain in the general elections, but possibly propel him in the primary. Edwards could guide many of his 9-19% crowds in states that are still unsure of which direction they would like to sway. Edwards represents many things and since his departure, he has been viewed as one of the most "real" candidates we've seen and his endorsement, depending how strongly he believes in his decision, would really change the outcome of many states. Also another strong endorsement would be Colin Powell, he seems to lean towards Obama, but won't publically endorse him. He is a very popular and motivated man and his endorsement in a Democrat would mean so many different things to Obama supporters and show that he is the true uniter and Hillary tends to divide.

February 12, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  27. Steve, Idaho

If the first Bill Clinton presidency was a car, Bill would be the sleek outer shell but Al Gore was the engine under the hood making it run. Al Gore was instrumental in putting the Internet into the hands of the world community thus causing the wealth of the.com boom of the 90s, he organized the restructuring and downsizing of Washington, reducing government spending and overhead that helped balance the budget. Al Gore or is probably the most powerful Democrat out there right now and has gained a lot of respect around the world lately, even on the Republican side. The Al Gore endorsement would be huge to whomever would get it.

February 12, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  28. Jonathan Wolf from Spring Branch, Texas

Obviously not Bill Clinton's. Usually, Ted Kennedy's endorsement makes all the difference; look at John Kerry's nomination! But this year, I believe John Edwards will be the spoiler in this election. Whoever he endorses receives a large number of followers, and that is what will really matter in this election.

I am still voting for Ron Paul, regardless.

February 12, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  29. Billie Kentucky

It's all the endorsements that Obama is going to get because everybody wants to jump on the bandwagon. Everybody's afraid to say they're not for Obama, they'll be called racist just like Bill Clinton was when he didn't say anything racist.

February 12, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  30. Myrtle

God.

February 12, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  31. Donald, Butte Montana

The only endorsement that should carry any weight is that of the American Voter!!!

Not Ted Kennedy, Not John Kerry, or any other of the 'career politicans' showing up in both parties.

All candidates are speaking of change. I want to know what specific change they intent to make and how they're going to do it. I want to know how they expect to implement any of their costly programs with the economy going sour and no predictions of what elese may happen between now and inauguration day.

I want to know why all three major candidates keep saying they will be ready on Day One. What the hell do they intend to do between Election Day and Inauguration Day other than getting their personnel in position to take over running the government on Day One. This interim period could be used to start sending signals and laying the ground-work for what needs to be implemented on Day One, not to wait until that date.

February 12, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  32. Ken KS

I was a die hard Obama fan until Ted "The Mouth That Roared" Kennedy came up to endorse him. Kennedy and Obama were allies in the June 2007 Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act that, fortunately, went down in defeat. Barak Obama is no Jack Kennedy and Ted Kennedy will manipulate him to get his agenda passed. Jack Kennedy was a three term Congressman and elected to the Senate twice, was a master of and served on the Foreign Relations Committees. JFK was a bonofide war hero in the U.S. Navy in World War II and also a Pultzer Prize winner, authored two best seller books. How does Obama compare? He doesn't. Also, Ted Kennedy is no John F. or Robert F. Kennedy either. I hope Obama doesn't trust Ted Kennedy to drive him over a bridge.

February 12, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  33. Richard from Littleton, MA

I think people have over-hyped the entire "endorsement" thing with the hundreds of politicians doing it daily, or so it seems. At this point, only a person behind whom people would instinctively follow would help – perhaps an Edwards endorsement of Obama, which might help his chances with blue-collar workers, but otherwise, it's not going to do much.

February 12, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  34. George Wilson

Well since all parties are participating in the democratic process of selecting a nominee for President of the United States it would only make sense to me that anyone would be better than the endorsement that George Bush gave to John McCain yesterday. That was the rallying cry for the Democrat Party for myself. and all of my family who have always been loyal members of the Democrat Party, the party of the people, not of big business. In my lifetime the Republicans have only had one decent President, and that was because he had been a Democrat at one time , however when he stepped to bat for the airlines in a strike situation, and told the pilots union they had to go back to work, or face dismissal, and that was it for me, with him.

February 12, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  35. Yvonne

No more endorsements. Anyone speaking up now will seem indecisive and opportunistic. The only sincere endorsement was from Carolyn Kennedy, which moved many to tears.

February 12, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  36. bert nevins

I think a Brittany Spears endorsement would help Hillary get the young female voter. Thats the demographic she is lacking. I see Brittany on tv more than i see Clinton or Obama, but i hear nothing from her. If Brittany speaks the world will listen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, from Calabasas, Ca

February 12, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  37. Texas

Bill Clinton's endorsment to Hillary Clinton of course!

p.s.
    John Glenn ,the former astronaut and first American to orbit the earth who's a legendary name in the state will endorse Hillary!

It is great to have his support. A great hero!

Go Hillary!

February 12, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  38. David,San Bernardino,CA.

Endorsements mean nothing because no one cares anymore. Every politician is percieved to be dishonest and only to be angling for some favor or vote. The time when people believed that the politicians were honest and for the public good is long past. Who will be the highest bidder?

February 12, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  39. Mahesh, Hyattsville MD

John Edward's. But I guess he's sitting on the fence. May be eying for the vice presidential candidature or some other important post in the Clinton/Obama administration.

February 12, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  40. Mike Smith, New Orleans

There's only one person whose endorsement would matter: Al Gore.

February 12, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  41. Terry North Carolina

Jack
    Endorsements are not what they used to be, how each canidate addresses the issues becomes more important. There are no more king makers around.

February 12, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  42. Ron Martinsville, Va.

A Company of Marines in Iraq supporting a democrat could't hurt Hillary or Obama.

February 12, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  43. joe m

the only endorsements that should matter to these candidates are those that rightfully put them in the white house – the democratic voters. sure it's nice to get a pat on the back from the big boys and major players, but only the voters should have the power to decide who will be the paty's nominee.

February 12, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  44. Rick in Florida

Any Super-Delegate previously "committed" to Hillary, who now endorses Obama, would make news and likely influence folks.

February 12, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  45. Teri

I think that Edwards and Richardson should support Hillary. This would make a difference as they have delegates that could go in the "Clinton" column.

February 12, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  46. Ron Martinsville, Va.

Support from a Company of Marines in Iraq Couldn't hurt Hillary or Obama.

February 12, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  47. Don, Atlanta

John Edwards. He's the moderate Democratic who's endorsement could provide an implied balance to the the candidate's platform and message. He could ride that endorsement all the way to the White House and into a Vice-Presidency.

February 12, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  48. David Richards

I think we're past the endorsement counts phase. John Edwards' endorsement doesn't mean a thing anymore. Al Gore should stick to climate change and stay out of presidential politics.

February 12, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  49. Tom, Avon Maine, The Heart of Democracy

The Constitution tells us, "Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it," It is, always was, and always will be only the endorsement of the voters that legitimizes government..

February 12, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  50. David of Mississippi

The one that gets John Edwards endorsement will be the winner. Al Gore would do more good for the Democrat canidates by endorsing John McCain.

February 12, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  51. Stephen, Wilmington, NC

Why are people putting so much stock in these endorsements? Can't Americans do their own homework and make a decision for themselves? It's sad that we look at such an important issue as electing our leaders but have to wait and see who's endorsing them before we can decide. Come on America, stop depending on the media and Hollywood and let's be true to ourselves. The Constitution reads WE THE PEOPLE will elect our leaders, not we the people will wait until we have an answer from the media. The sad thing about this election cycle is that we pasted up all the candidates that really had true experience and went for the glamor. Well, I say glamor works good in Hollywood but it's not worth a damn in the White House. So to conclude my opinion is to say that from the three or four candidates we have left, not a one will bring forth the real change and leadership we need in the coming years, the only one close would be Mike Huckabee but like the others that had experience we will pass him by as well.

February 12, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  52. Brian in CT

The endorsements that matter most are being delivered with every new state primary. Super Stars, Super Senators, Super Delagates, Super Duper...these all take a back seat to average Joe and Jane's endorsements. We are tallying the endorsements that do and SHOULD count the most...the citizens of this country. I believe that as we see the system work, we will enjoy the fruit it bears. The two most popular candidates of all who applied for the job. If it doesn't happen, well a ref. got a call wrong again, or someone cheated after the game rules were agreed to.

February 12, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  53. Vinnie Vino

Jack,
    The only endorsement that would matter at all is if former President Bill Clinton endorsed Obama over his wife, that would say alot about Hillary...

C.I., New York

February 12, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  54. Alex Smith

The only person out there that can make any waves in this is a John Edwards, most of the people that are waiting it out, don't have a name that thrals Americans. I do believe that John Edwards could help, as a former Edwards supporter I hope that he contiues his fight for the middle class with Hillary Clinton, although I know the media would hate that.

February 12, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  55. Melanie

I think Al Gore's endorsement would make a difference. Plus if he endorses Obama, imagine the look on Mr Clinton's face ? His former VP endorsing the enemy. That would be interesting.

Lake Wales, FL

February 12, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  56. Nick

None!!!!!!

February 12, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  57. Dennis G form FL

Mine.

February 12, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  58. Tina

Endorsements mean nothing. Make a pick and move on.

February 12, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  59. Isaiah of Miami

Whatever Edwards is up to in his endorsement game cannot be honest. Obama should refuse any secret or open meeting and let Edwards endorse Hillary. Then we can all see who is the idiot.

February 12, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  60. earl illingsworth

John Edwards endorsement to the Obama candidacy would be a big plus. But ,as far as Gore goes, "no big deal",for either candidate. Pelosi and Reid will stay on the "fence" for good reasons, until it's all sorted out, I hope? If not, Pelosi will back Hillary ,and Reid most likely Obama. Either way you slice it , if Hillary stays close, she will get the nomination!!!

February 12, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  61. Aisha (I-Sha),KY

The People!!!!!!!!!! But, Gore/Edwards wouldn't hurt.

February 12, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  62. rbrannan

The endorsement of Al Gore or John Edwards would make a great endorsement for Hillary. Because Al Gore was vice president while Hillary was First Lady in the White House, Al Gore was privy to the true Hillary under pressure. If he endorsed Hillary , it would make a statement that both her integrity and strength are so substantial and powerful that even he, Al Gore, is moved to endorse her –thus overcoming his own resentment to the fact that as some suggest, Al Gore lost the Presidential election due to Bill Clinton's scandal with Monica. Much the same, John Edwards was privy to the true Barack and Hillary as he shared the campaign trail with them for months.
    If John Edwards endorsed Hillary, it would make the statement that having been privy to both their character, strengths and weaknesses, he feels Hillary is truly the better candidate for the Presidency. Rose from PA.

February 12, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  63. Don in Grand Rapids, Mi

Any endorsment for a good honest demorcat would be great! However one hasn't been born yet!

February 12, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  64. Andrew M.

Endorsments only matter to big time campaign donors, not to the average voter. In regards to who out there matters, it's only Mr. Gore and Mr. Edwards; both house-hold names.
    Also, I don't think there's enough couples counseling in the world to join Sens. Obama and Clinton on a ticket!

Davenport,IA

February 12, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  65. Allen of Hartwell GA

There are more negative feelings out here about most people who might give endorsements than positive ones. So it isn't so much following the lead of someone, but doing the opposite, that would affect the outcome of the race.
    Allen
    Hartwell, GA

February 12, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  66. Keith

Hi Jack,
    First, it's not IF Barack sweeps February... It's *when.*

Now to answer your question... It'll leave Hillary as the disappointed Junior Senator from New York, for at least the remainder of her term. Hillary and her staff will continue to down play expectations until Obama wins Ohio... Maybe even Texas.

It's been a reality check for Bill, Hillary, and the 'ole guard.'

February 12, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  67. Ed Vajnar

Jack,

I believe Colin Powell (a Republican) would add immensibly to Barach Obama's chances for breaking the tie we have today. An endorsement, and a few campaign stops with Colin Powell at his side would cement Obamas hold on the Democratic ticket. Powell is the only person from Washington I would trust, and we all know he walked out on our President for many good reasons. Powell has more common sense that anyone in the Bush executive branch. Colin has an open mind about his vote, lets hope he doesn't wait too long to boost his candidate.

John Edwards could help Obama too.

Eddie Vajnar

Hattiesburg, MS

Gore is a loser, and can't sway anyone except the persona involved in the Nobel Peace Prize. How did the environment work its way into the "Peace Prize"?

February 12, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  68. Keith

My endorsement matters – An ordinary citizen who's tired of the crap.

February 12, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  69. Praetorian, Fort Myers, FL

At this point in the campaign...the only Democratic endorsement now that would probably have any merit would be Gore.

But frankly, I don't think it would matter a great dea. It seems the support for Obama has been solidified and is growing. Clinton can't seem to generate the kind of traction she once had. Changes to her team, and the veritable "running" from locale to locale that both she and Bill are doing, doesn't seem to be helping. Obama is reaching out to the voter's who don't necessarily attend or care about the "site visit's". His agenda–is on the website...and pretty much the same as her's except for the "choice" issues related to Universal Healthcare.

I don't think endorsements from any of the Democratic elite will have much sway on the populous. The ideal of "hope, new leadership, fresh viewpoints, and an uncorrupted, unscandelous candidate–have captured the Democrats attention–and many Independents and Republicans.

Unless Bill Clinton suddenly endorsed Obama–any other endorsements will probably have little impact or newsworthiness.

February 12, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  70. Jon, Atlanta

Jimmy Carter? please. the guy was the worst president in our nation's history

February 12, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  71. Ann, Newton, New Jersey

Besides Lou Dobbs and yourself, no one, unless God wrote His answer across the sky. Both candidates leave a lot to be desired. That goes for the Republicans also.

February 12, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  72. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Undoubtedly, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi's endorsements would change the whole climate of the democrat race. I'm glad Mrs. Pelosi has made the decision not to endorse, but I'm sure she has her pick.

February 12, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  73. Jr

John Edward's endorsement matters the most.

Both Edwards and Hillary support universal healthcare, Obama doesn't. So it'll be a shock if Edwards endorses Obama.

February 12, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  74. Karen from Missouri

Does it matter now? Obama seems to be doing just fine. I agree that the entire process should take its course. Either Edwards and Gore know how they want to vote according to their conscious or they want to make "deals". I respect their waiting but really think Edwards trying to make a "deal" is very low indeed.

February 12, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  75. Bruce St Paul MN

Instead of an endorsement, maybe they should look into product placement. I could see Hillary in a cameo in the next Will Farell movie, or Barack as a guest judge on American Idol.

February 12, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  76. Thomas, Tallahassee FL

The only endorsement that has seemed to matter so far has been Oprah, unfortunately. If that's how dumbed down we have all become, perhaps a Dr. Phil endorsement could turn the tides in this election.

February 12, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  77. Jorge from Monterey California

Jack,
    John Edwards CAN'T endorse Hillary Clinton... He will SELLING OUT to the Clintons... He just CAN'T so I think the deal with the Clintons was to just not endorse Barack Obama!
    I hope he has the Guts to step up to the Clintons and Do what more of 70% of his followers are asking... Endorse Barack Obama!!!!

February 12, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  78. b2008

God's! Then we won't have to worry about Hillary anymore.

barbara
    NC

February 12, 2008 at 4:14 pm |
  79. Kevin B. Chayer

I don't think any endorsement would help either candidate unless, that is, one or the other bow out and support whole heartedly the other.

Kevin B. Chayer
    Garner, North Carolina

February 12, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  80. gary sosnick

lighten up jack!...you know mccain was only kidding.... the reporter knew it...don't take yourself so seriously!...you just don't like the fact that he might have a chance in the general election...good thing there are other alternatives to watch besides you!

February 12, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  81. Peter

The endorsement of the mainstream media makes the difference of course. That way you don't have to win it on your own merits.

February 12, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  82. Mick, Lansing, MI

If I'm not getting McCain's hummor in the "Jerk" line.
    How will some world leader take it if McCain calls him a jerk?

February 12, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  83. Mel, Deerfield, IL

The obvious answer is Edward's endorsement for Obama because it will help win delagates and hopefully keep the nominating decision out of the hands of the back-room super delagates who can be manipulated if not bought by the powerful Clinton machince. I think the country has forgiven Powell in spite of his failure to stand up and sieze the moment which could have changed history, but his endorsement could have backlash as some may still see him as a willing participant in a pro war administration. Unless an endorsement effects the bottom line, forget it.

February 12, 2008 at 4:17 pm |
  84. Anthony Fotia

Is the fat guy in the photo a hint?

February 12, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  85. Bill Cetindag

Dear Jack,
    Go to each candidates including Hillary’s websites. All of them has a large click button for donation for themselves. ONLY BARACK OBAMA’S SITE HAS A LINK , ON HIS HOMEPAGE, TO DONATE TORNADO VICTIMS IN SOUTHERN STATES WHERE ACTUALLY HE LOST (TENESSE , ARKANSAS AND KENTUCKY)!!

Hillary won big in those states and was the first lady in Arkansas, but seems like already forgot about it. So as Governor Huckabee despite he has been the Governor of Arkansas. McCain also does not have anything for these people.

If this is the case then no one should be suprised by Obama’s surge. He seem to be the only one who genuinely cares in all the politicians I have observed.

I really could not care less what Hillary and Mike (Huckabee) done for Arkansas since they already seem to forget about those southerners who helped them to hold on to presidential race. I think neither of them deserves to be our leader since they only talk about American values but not practice them. I think this is more important then any endorsement.
    Thanks
    IBC

February 12, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  86. John

Who's endorsing the "super delegates"? If i was one of the candidates, i think i would have to pay more attention to "their" views, than my own. Considering that this race is so close and the fact that the super delegates are most likely going to choose a winner anyway, why does it matter who endorses either of them. You make it sound like the people actually have a say in the democratic process...?

John,
    Orem UT

February 12, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  87. Michael M Phx AZ

Is it really going to matter if the "Super delegates" become the deciding factor?

February 12, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  88. Bill Glass

McCain is used to kidding around with the reporters on the bus. I agree it is not funny to refer to reporters as "jerks" but it was clarly not meant in a mean-spirited way – just clumsy humor – lets not make a mountain out of a mole hill (if that is possible in the cable news world)

February 12, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  89. Brando

John Edwards' problem with Barack lies in two things: John Kerry and Ted Kennedy. He's been there, done that. He KNOWS about the "poltical strings" that those two hold over Obama.
    PS: Forget about Biden or Richardson, they are NOT! gonna have Obama's back during the General Election. Now, on the other hand, with Edwards as Barack's VP, the latter does INDEED get 270 in Nov. It's the Electoral College, stupid.

February 12, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  90. Pat in MIchigan

Al Gore and John Edwards endorsements would matter some, but I don't think there is any endorsement out there that will stop the momentum Obama has going for him. He is an electifying figure who has appeal to young voters and older voters too, who are tired of the "business as usual/bend over here it comes again" political treatment. This country need a leader they can be proud of after eight years of the grinning idiot that has ruined the American image in every country on earth.

February 12, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  91. Corey Tapper

I think the biggest prize for either candidate would be the endorsement of John Edwards. He may not have been able to win the election himself, but he does have a very faithful following. I think his endorsement would be huge. Al Gore is also big, but he has stayed away from politics recently. I don't think his endorsement would be as powerful as John Edwards'.

February 12, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  92. JW

The best endorsement we are finding this election season, are the people. Regular people calling or talking to other regular people and sharing their enthusiasm. This is why Obama started gaining momentum as the underdog with his constituents as Hillary supporters thought she had it in the bag.

Now that Obama's momentum is becoming so public, Hillary fans are demonstrating a grass roots like reaction. So we'll see.

Let's not forget the positive side of having two great candidates for a change. I am from Oregon and the candidate for my party had already been selected so never before have I had the opportunity to say "If you don't mind, I think this person will be the best candidate!" Politics is about dialogue, and the there is nothing wrong with having a conversation for a change and not limit ourselves to a quick summary of sound bites.

THIS IS DEMOCRACY! GO HILLARY!

February 12, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  93. Christine from California

Actually, Jack, there are 2 and one has already been made – George W Bush's endorsement of McCain should make anyone with a brain see that McCain is Bush in a different empty suit. But the only other really important endorsement is from John Edwards, and it comes with 217 potential perks-delegates!

Thousand Oaks, California

February 12, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  94. Albert

The people's.

February 12, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  95. Von

The endorsement of each American voter, that's what counts most Jack.

Von from Louisiana

February 12, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  96. Sarita

It would leave Hillary and Bill desperate to attack Obama personally (something they enjoy doing even more than running for President). My "audacious hope" is that it will leave them both on the outside of the While House where they belong.

Sarita
    Lansdowne, PA.

February 12, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  97. John from CT

Endorsements, to me, don't matter. And endorsements by other politicians really don't matter. Somebody mentioned Michael Moore. Mr. Moore stated last week on Larry KIng that he was sorry to see John Edwards drop out because that was his candidate. He also mentioned that he could not morally vote for Senator Clinton (in a primary) because she voted for the war. Funny thing - Edwards voted for the war. And if I am not mistaken Mr. Moore endorsed Senator Kerry (for president) and he also voted for the war.

February 12, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  98. Pete, Fla.

From what we've been seeing lately with the Kennedy's endorsing Obama, and then having Clinton win in Ted's home state of Massachusetts, and Maria Shriver's home state of California, it looks like the only important endorsement would come from Father Earth (Al Gore), or the next best thing, Jesus.

February 12, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  99. yaya

The only endoresement Obama needs r THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.
    Yes We CAN!!

February 12, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  100. Susan

Al Gore and Colin Powell. Those are the two endorsements I am waiting for. I hope they will be for Obama. I would love to see an Obama/Powell ticket. And yes, I am a white male with a college education from a southern state who believes Obama is what this country needs right now at this point in our history. Race is not an issue.

Dave
    Paducah, KY

February 12, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  101. Seven

Colen Powell

February 12, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  102. Jerry Wilson

Endorsements don't decide elections. New York, California, Florida, Michigan, Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Illinoise, decide elections. Guess who has all but one of these states?

Jerry Wilson

February 12, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  103. AG

John McCain has a warped since of humor. He's often making what are supposedly jokingly-made comments (of course that no one else ever finds funny) that are totally inappropriate. And I think that his most recent "...jerks like you..." comment was totally inappropriate and warrants an apology. When is he going to get it that he's just really not that funny?

February 12, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  104. Scott

it don't mean squat who joins the band wagon for either of them, we the people will send a clear message that the woman is the right choice.
    exsperence is what she has, she's survived the republican attact machine
    and the press attacts, she is seasoned, and that is what it will take to turn this country around.

bowling green,mo.

February 12, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  105. Brent in College Station, TX

I would hope that an endorsements don't determine who someone votes but instead the actual candidate.

February 12, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  106. Andy Laub

It won't matter that much, people will have allready made up most of there minds, people tend to use there own judgement, values and events rather than other people, which is what makes the large majority of the American public so arrogant they think good people like Gore and Edwards are old news so it won't matter too much which is why in the long run they don't even vote which is why we are stuck with so many darn Republicans.

February 12, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  107. Mike in AZ

It seems like the only endorsements that matter are the 'unofficial' but very visible endorsements of the TV networks. It is so obvious to me that NBC/MSNBC has favored Obama with tens of millions of dollars of free plugs I don't think even an endorsement from God Almighty would benefit Hillary at this point.

February 12, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  108. Chuck in Eugene Oregon

I dont know Jack who would be the most important. If Obama continues with his forward momentum... the chances are the super delegates may not matter at all.
    Obama still stands a strong chance of pulling a clean sweep even in Texas and Ohio... especially since it appears that his message is getting through to everyone and Hillary continues to demonstrate that NOT ALL REMAINING STATES ARE IMPORTANT.

February 12, 2008 at 4:31 pm |
  109. Bill, Quarryville, Pennsylvania

Endorsements don't mean much to me. I just wanna know how they will clean up and after a president who is left them more work than any other predecessor in recent history. Everyone made a big deal out of Ted Kennedy endorsing Obama. This coming from a man who had many affairs and was having one when he ran off of a bridge. But if Obama gets the nomination I would still vote for him despite Ted's endorsement.

February 12, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  110. Chuck in Eugene Oregon

I dont know Jack who would be the most important. If Obama continues with his forward momentum… the chances are the super delegates may not matter at all.
    Obama still stands a strong chance of pulling a clean sweep even in Texas and Ohio. This is especially true since it appears that his message is getting through to everyone and Hillary is demonstrating to America that NOT ALL REMAINING STATES ARE IMPORTANT. She is sending a very bad message to the remaining states left to vote, wonder if those that she is paying attention to will think what will happen down the road; will she turn her back on us too when we need her? That is an important question they should consider when voting in March.

February 12, 2008 at 4:35 pm |
  111. Jay Newman

I think we are at a point where endorsements won't make as big of an impact. But they are bound to sway a decent % of voters........Of course the two big ones still out there are John Edwards and Al Gore. Since I am for Obama, I really think Edwards can help him reach the blue collar types so I am hoping these two come out from the rock they have been hiding under.

February 12, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  112. Jude

John Glenn endorsed Hillary Clinton today and therefore makes a huge statement in his confidence in her to lead our nation in the right direction. He recognizes that she has the intelligence, dedication and experience to lead this country!!!!

Jude
    Arizona

February 12, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  113. Arjav Ezekiel

Jack,
    It seems unlikely at this point that Al Gore is going to endorse anybody–as you say he might be beckoned to broker a deal between both candidates if the current state of affairs persist. I think the most likely and potentially important endorsement would come from John Edwards. If he decides to support Sen. Clinton, it would be a resounding blow to the Obama campaign; both Obama and he seemed to be in cahoots towards the last debates they did together. More than anything I think that an endorsement by Edwards which would likely be on par with Kennedy's would blanket the airwaves with either Obama or Clinton's name, free air time and buzz that would be beneficial to their respective campaigns.

Arjav Ezekiel
    Kenyon College '10

February 12, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  114. Lin

You mean like Ted Kennedy endorsing Obama.My god with his past of abandoning women he should of stayed mute.

February 12, 2008 at 4:38 pm |
  115. Jr

Bobby Kennedy's...

Oops, sorry, didn't work.

vote for substance not rhetoric.

Hillary '08

February 12, 2008 at 4:38 pm |
  116. Tyler N

The vast majority of endorsements mean very little. The act of endorsing someone is tantamount to saying to those that trust and follow the endorser, "You trust me, and I trust him or her, therefore you should vote for that individual." Unfortunately, the reality is that there are about as many undecided voters who trust and follow Chuck Norris as someone we might actually want to show deference to, like Al Gore. However, Hillary and Barack have realized that in this race there is that rare case where an endorsement will matter. It should be no surprise that they are both willing to go out of their way to meet with John Edwards, hoping to secure his endorsement, the support of his highly dedicated grassroots movement, and the votes of his delegates, should he choose to release them.

February 12, 2008 at 4:38 pm |
  117. Ron Gregory

A vote from a citizen of this country is the single greatest endorsement any candidate could ever receive.

February 12, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  118. bnthdntht

Of course Gore and Edwards if they split then Gore has the most influence.

L.M.,Arizona

February 12, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  119. Antoine

The hispanic community endorsement and you can inaugurate Obama now!!!!

February 12, 2008 at 4:41 pm |
  120. lee

Al Gore will not endorse either candidate...he needs be able to work with the next President on Global Warmning with no lingering harsh feelings.
    Edwards should of endorsed long ago if he was going to...waiting so long starts to smell like rotten fish. Neither candidate should want his endorsement now.
    Just an opinion from a Democrat in the Red State of Florida.

February 12, 2008 at 4:42 pm |
  121. Vincent Hill

Whose endorsement would make a difference in the Democratic presidential race?

NO ONE! People need to make up their own minds and stop letting the press and the political machine influence their decisions!

February 12, 2008 at 4:43 pm |
  122. Bruce Irvin of Tampa

edwards certainly should matter...I believe that mr gore's is more important...some say that he won an election 4 President awhile back...both endorsements would be a gift from Heaven...feel me

February 12, 2008 at 4:44 pm |
  123. Barbara, Newburyport, Massachusetts

It would be interesting to see how Ralph Nader weighed in.....he must be out there somewhere.........

February 12, 2008 at 4:44 pm |
  124. dan

We the people of the USA do and will endorse Senator Hillary Clinton to be our next president to help people who are having to strugle just to get by in the richest country in the world..To give UNIVERSAL health care and not give millions in subsidies to slumlords like TONY REZKO who let people freeze in their homes in the winter.

February 12, 2008 at 4:44 pm |
  125. California Voter

Jack, I'm beginning to think these endorsements are just a distraction. Doesn't really help us know the candidates better and where they stand on issues. It mainly shows alliances that are formed so that if one candidate should win, the endorser has some political chips to use. Well, I guess Oprah has enough money that those chips would mean nothing to her, or does she want to be the VP????

February 12, 2008 at 4:46 pm |
  126. Donna

Jack,

Hopefully, NONE! Can't adult Americans make a decision on their own based on whether a candidate's positions and accomplishments are beneficial to the voter and the country, or is this a country of sheep! Oh yes, it would be so much easier to follow the recommendation of someone who has absolutely nothing in common with the lives of average Americans. Jimmy Carter, Al Gore, the Kennedys - they live in a very different world than the rest of us and WE - each individually - have to conduct our due diligence and research and decide which candidate will act responsibly and for the well being of our community, country, family and friends.

Donna

February 12, 2008 at 4:47 pm |
  127. Edryn

Clinton is left losing outt Mr. Cafferty! Loaning money, losing momentum, and lacking a good campaign manager. These are the ingredients for a lack luster president if you ask me. Do you like the attempt at alliteration? By the way, your blog is bigger than Wolf’s!

February 12, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  128. Edryn

Clinton is left losing out Mr. Cafferty! Loaning money, losing momentum, and lacking a good campaign manager. These are the ingredients for a lack luster president if you ask me. Do you like the attempt at alliteration? By the way, your blog is bigger than Wolf’s!

February 12, 2008 at 4:49 pm |
  129. JLCox

John Edwards is the one that MATTERS at this point because he has delegates. I would like to see a Obama\Edwards ticket.

JLCox,
    Houston,TX

February 12, 2008 at 4:49 pm |
  130. Dawn

Besides the obvious John Edwards endorsement, I could imagine that Bill Richardson's might help with the Hispanic vote, wouldn't it?

February 12, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  131. DMAC

I guess people depend on endorsements because they can't think for them selves and need to be led by whoever, Oprah, Gore, Kennady, State Governers and etc and what ever movie or TV star. Non thinkers is how we got Bush elected not once but 2 times. Soooo Sad.

February 12, 2008 at 4:51 pm |
  132. Mike,Marinette, Wisconsin

Jack, Maybe a Republican Congressman or Senator who fears losing the election because of the Bush Administration neglecting voters concerns.

February 12, 2008 at 4:53 pm |
  133. Maryanne

Jack!

Hilliary Clinton with her 20 years of experience and track record in getting things done is the best chance the U.S. has in becoming a respected nation again. John McCain is a war monger and will continue to keep troops in Iraq and focus on the war instead of issues at home.

Doesn't anyone see the same arrogance in Barak Obama when he speaks to delegates that George W. Bush displayed when battling against Al Gore in Florida during the 'counting chads' fiasco. I see it as plain as day everytime that man speaks. He sounds insincere – he says what he knows people want to hear. I believe he is popular because he is 'young' and a 'male'.

Respectfully Submitted
    Maryanne – Kingston Ontario

February 12, 2008 at 4:53 pm |
  134. Chris

Al Gore, the man who has the distinction of winning a presidential election with none of the negatives that come from being president. He also would have wiped the floor with either Obama or Hillary if he had run.

February 12, 2008 at 4:53 pm |
  135. Paul

I don't think more personal endorsments for President would make much of a difference. However, I was enlightened today about some powerful past endorsments prior to the kickoff of this Presidential campaign.

An October 2005 article in the British journal New Statesman listed Obama as one of "10 people who could change the world,"[160] the only politician included on the list. In 2005 and again in 2007, Time magazine named him one of "the world's most influential people."

These are powerful endorsments for someone who is just getting started in their career.

February 12, 2008 at 4:54 pm |
  136. John Rush

If Bill Clinton endorsed Barak that might sway my vote.

February 12, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  137. John Morrison

Jack, I think an endorsement by New York city Mayor Blumberg for Barack Obama would send a powerful message to Democrats that only Obama can carry the needed independents, new voters and moderate republicans needed to win the general election against the republicans.

Thanks for asking.

Cheers from
    Lompoc, CA

February 12, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  138. Tobey / Laconia, NH

Other than a few, I believe that the so called "Super Duper Delegates" think that they somehow are equivalent to 13000 American voters. They should get in line and vote like the rest of us as it's been quite apparent that there "Super" status does not sway the public as much as they toot on their horns.

February 12, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  139. Ruby Coria, CA.

Jack, who cares now?, it doen't matter at this point, nor does the debate you guys are going to have.. affect like 0-1 because if you are going to vote for the rookie it doen't matter is a wise man like Elie Wiesel endorses you and if you are going to vote for the expirince then it don't matter if every wise kid endorses you. It don't matter.

February 12, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  140. Ryan in Iowa

Jack, I think that a big name endorsement like Al Gore or John Edwards would help either Senators Clinton or Obama a few points, but nothing major at this juncture in time. Other non-marquee names wouldn't do anything more than to provoke thought.

February 12, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  141. Victoria Francis

There really isn't anyone alive today whose endorsement is important to me. Most endorsers are egotistically motivated such as Ted Kennedy, Antonio Villaragosa and Oprah Winfrey. The voters should look to the issues and decide for themselves.

Victoria Francis
    Los Angeles Ca 90031

February 12, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  142. Lori

I'm in Northern Virginia, and I have been on pins and needles waiting for John Edwards to endorse Barack Obama. I believe his endorsement would speak volumes to America. I thought for sure he would have made an endorsement prior to last "Super Tuesday," and was surprised when it didn't happen. I hope he speaks up soon.

February 12, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  143. Mary in West Virginia

Al Gore's endorsement would go a long way for me. I'm still going to vote democratic as I think a republican president will end up giving America away, or loosing it. A democrat (Hillary) has the foreign policy experience desperately needed to be president. Obama would take too long to learn through OJT (on the job training) and America is out of time. We're already wasting another year (2008) by Bush's last year in the White House. Plus, it's also important to get in a democratic congress. Opposing parties in the presidency and congress just cannot make this country move forward.

February 12, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  144. Matt D

Dalton, GA

Endorsements are meaningless. Should I care that Obama rails against Washington Insiders yet fully embraces the endoresement of Ted Kennedy? If Washington Insiders started a church, Kennedy would be the Pope. Should I care that Oprah is endorsing Obama? Not only is it a ridiculous gimmick, much like his entire campaign, she's doing it because her and Obama's racist church dogma requires it. I vote for who I think is a REAL candidate, not a commercial product being hawked by every big name politician in America.

February 12, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  145. Margaret

I give no crredence to endorsements, I believe in my judgement, maturity and common sense.

I believe the media is pushing Barack Obama and bellittleing Hilary Clinton, obviously you all wish that a Republican wins the Presential election.

We shall see if we want a "great" oractor or the real thing.

Margaret
    Sacramento

February 12, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  146. Wade

Edwards would do well to endorse Obama, 1 because a majority of his previous supporters went to Obama, and 2 because he has a better shot at a spot on the ticket. His endorsement to Hillary wouldn't make sense fundamentally and he could do more for poor agenda as a vice president for Obama.

February 12, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  147. Nick Neely

John Edwards support would be major for Obama not as much for Clintion...Futher giving southern white males a little lean to Obama which would be MAJOR!!

February 12, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  148. Austin Burton

Coming from a southern standpoint, there is no question that the support of Al Gore and/or Howard Dean would shift the election. We have had the races in the south and John Edwards is puller of the middle class. Texas is a oil and Latino state. Pennsylvania is a farm and manufacturing state. Ohio is a farming and manufacturing state. The support of Al Gore and or Howard Dean would pull the middle class vote that Obama doesn't quite have enough of; while if such support went to Hillary she would pull some of the independents and undecides that are propelling Obama into the lead.
    The fact is people who are for green will follow Gore, those supporting Dean are the semi religous and middle group. There support is the winning support. May they be like Kennedy and Kerry and go with Obama.

February 12, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  149. Kristen

Whose endorsement would matter? George W. Bush. If he ever intimates that he thinks that either Obama or Clinton would be less "damaging" to Republican values or to America, I know to go straight to the local campaign office of the OTHER candidate! Oklahoma City, OK

February 12, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  150. Bev H.

Any military endorsements would be positive for either candidate. My feeling is that this would not likely happen for the Clinton's – because Bill was a draft dodger in the Vietnam era. I'm not sure of Obama's military credentials, but it is critical for the leadership of a country that is currently engaged in war to have military experience and/or the strong support of our men and women in uniform. At the very least, the candidates need a nod from a Colin Powell or an active military commander.

February 12, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  151. Eric

I really don't see why people make such a big deal about endorsments. So what, some celebrity or politician decides who they like. Well good for them. When it comes down to it, I'm going to make up my own mind.

Eric
    San Clemente, CA

February 12, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  152. Shirley (Michigan)

For Hillary, it would be Maya Angelou and Suzie Orman. Both have broken thru their own glass ceilings and in my opinion would be a slam dunk. Maya is an extremely intelligent, well spoken, well respected, strong black woman, And no one understands the plight of American family economics better than Suzie. Need I say more?

February 12, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  153. Brent Terry

Two people who have been outspoken in their retirement and deemed genuine are Jimmy Carter and Alan Greenspan – Foreign Policy and Economy. I also would like to hear the truth from Colonel Powell.

February 12, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  154. Nigel Woodford

This race is about the people and real change. I don't care about endorsements. Being a young person I don't even know who half these people are. Obama can hold his own ground and for the first time in my life I'm interested in politics.

February 12, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  155. Daniel

Only one endorsement matters Hillary's, when she endorses Obama that when we can endorsement's matter.

February 12, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  156. robert

I do not belive there are any truely influential politicians any more. John Kerry and the Kennedys who are you kiding. I don't think the voters are moved by endorsment of any kind this includes Al Gore who lost due to his poor run who needs his endorsment. It is up to the candidates to move the voters with facts and not false campaign promisses.

Robert
    Washington, D.C.

February 12, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  157. Aaron

In a political race that is being followed not only nationally but internationally, I believe that it would be interesting to know the sentiments of the international community and their leaders. Celebrity and politicians' endorsments in the U.S. pose little consequence on my own personal decisions, but I could be influenced by the collective voice of the global community.

February 12, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  158. Linda from Sandy Springs GA and Warrensville OH

Colin Powell

February 12, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  159. Mark

Al Gore's endorsement would only have an effect if he endorsed Obama and it would have to be before the primaries were concluded. As far as Edwards is concerned his endorsement is too late now. As far as im concerned his potential voters have already leaned another direction and do not make up a significant enough number to effect this race now.

February 12, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  160. AJ

Where is Colin Powell? I think his endorsement would be interesting particularly in a democratic race. Mainly because of the democrats views on the war in Iraq. But since that isn't likely...where is he anyway?

February 12, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  161. Mary

How about the Pope's?

Mary
    Salt Lake City, UT

February 12, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  162. Jim

Colin Powell

February 12, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  163. William Lee

Joe Lieberman

William in Az

February 12, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  164. John

Right now it comes down to each state and and their particular demographics. Governor Bill Richardson, for example, would be enormously helpful to Obama in Texas. Texas Latinos are much more like New Mexico Latinos than those in California. New Mexico is a much better barometer than California in that respect. Edwards endorsement right before Ohio will be a deal clincher and end the campaign. His appeal to blue collar, union households will give Obama the boost he needs to lock down the nomination.

February 12, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  165. John Croslin, Arizona

This is very important to our country so it comes down to two people. George W Bush or Paris Hilton. And if you look at their track records and the impact their leadership has had on the American people I guess I will go with Paris. What say you? Opps! sorry wrong program.

February 12, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  166. Eric

The endorsement of all the voters including those from Michigan and Florida who had nothing to do with the date of their primary being changed.

February 12, 2008 at 6:08 pm |