February 12th, 2008

No new scandals in another Clinton White House?

ALT TEXT
Bill and Hillary Clinton at a 'Super Tuesday' primary night rally in the Grand Ballroom at Manhattan Center Studios on February 5, in New York City. (PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Hillary Clinton is promising that in her White House there wouldn't be any new scandals involving her husband, former President Bill Clinton.

She was asked in an interview how people can be certain that a new personal or business scandal won't erupt that Republicans could use to blow her agenda and her administration out of the water.

Clinton replied: "You know, I just can assure this reader that that is not going to happen. You know, none of us can predict the future, no matter who we are and what we're running for, but I'm very confident that that will not happen."

History suggests otherwise. Bill Clinton's eight years in the White House were plagued by scandals – from Whitewater to Gennifer Flowers, to Monica Lewinsky to his impeachment.

In the same interview, Hillary Clinton was asked what kind of role her husband would play in her administration. She said he wouldn't be a shadow prime minister or secretary of state. But she did point to two other roles he could play: that of a sounding board, which is a traditional role for family members of presidents. And, Hillary says that as a former president, Bill would be well-suited to help repair America's image overseas.

Here’s my question to you: Hillary Clinton promises no new scandals involving her husband. Do you believe her?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Nick writes:
She shouldn't be making promises that she can't keep. Who knows what her husband is doing behind her back now? If he was capable of hiding previous offenses, he might be doing the same now when she's got her eye on the White House. She might eat those words.

Kat writes:
Really. This is unfair. True, scandals and problems riddled Bill Clinton's administration. However, Hillary has not had an administration so there is no basis for this question. She should be judged on her own history.

Shane in Maryland writes:
Scandals or no scandals, bring back the Clinton days! I could care less what the Clintons get into in their private lives, they are darn good at running this country. Right now, we need people who know what they're doing to clean up this mess Bush has created! Let the good time roll!

Clay in Portland, Oregon writes:
Considering that her husband has already been in the center of a few small-scale scandals since the beginning of primary season, it's hard to believe Senator Clinton would be able to rein him in for four years of non-stop scrutiny and international spotlight.

Carmen writes:
I trust Hillary when she says that Americans need not worry about scandals unfolding behind her White House doors. But, really, I think the issue at hand is how unimportant that is. Hillary is running for president, not Bill.

Sandra writes:
Jack, I absolutely do not believe her! That is my big problem with the Clintons. I do not trust them. They have shown us time and time again that they do not deserve our trust. I think they would use every dirty trick in the book if they thought they could get away with it.

Anne writes:
A leopard doesn't changes its spots. History doesn't agree with what Hillary is saying.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Loren, Delhi NY

She can promise all she wants, but she is a Clinton and a politician.

February 12, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  2. Kemic

Too easy, Jack. Way too easy.

February 12, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  3. Jessica

I do not believe this is something you can predict or promise. I mean would Bill have said he was going to have an affair in the Oval Office when he ran or would Hillary honestly say, "Yes there will be scandal while I'm in office." I didn't think so.

– Jessica from Michigan

February 12, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  4. CJ, Delhi NY

yes i believe her but she has shown us many times that even though she wears the pants, she still can't control her husband.

February 12, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  5. mike studders

and the million dollar contribution from the canadian mining mogul that appeared briefly on the web and carl bernstein promised would be a big news story after the last debate, didn't happen but do not think the republicans forgot it..

February 12, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  6. Pinky Tuscadero Wisonsin

Geez Jack, now that is a tough one. First of all we would have to find a Democrat with a spine. Quite frankly, I don't think there are any currently serving.

February 12, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  7. Will K. San Jose, CA

Look at the comments made in South Carolina. She hasn't been able to stop scandals during the campaign. Why should we believe that she will be successful in the White House?

February 12, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  8. Andrea

LOL!!!

February 12, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  9. chris kelly

Sure Jack – and I also believe in the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy!

Chris – Alpharetta, GA

February 12, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  10. Richard Sternagel

No I don't believe her! People don't change and the prospect of having Bill Clinton delude the country's focus on the people's business for the next four years is some thing I'm not willing to risk with my ballot!

February 12, 2008 at 2:42 pm |
  11. Sheila from NC

I'm sure she believes that as much as she believed George Bush on the war and Bill on not having sex with that woman. Bill is just a good ole boy and he can't help himself. I'm sure that is just another promise she is making that she won't or can't live up to.

February 12, 2008 at 2:43 pm |
  12. Ro

They can't help themselves, nor can the Republicans resist going after them. The Clintons are a magnet for scandels and even the Bush presidency didn't change that.

February 12, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  13. W B in Las Vegas, Nevada

I seem to remember something about "a tough dog to keep on the porch" from a few years ago. unless Hillary has a new collar and chain, that "dog" is still gonna run in the neighborhood.

February 12, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  14. Jim Galvin

Next time Hill meets Bill, she should ask him about that 'Kazakhstan/Canadian' thing. You know, that massive post-presidential pay-off?

If she is truly out of the loop to the point where she doesn't know anything about it, duh, then the GOP will have a treasure trove of scandal to present to the electorate.

Of course they already know about it and are licking their chops at the prospect of a Hillary nomination.

And where has the media been on this since they first did a 'mini report' on it?

From The Observation Tower in the mountain ranges of British Columbia.

February 12, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  15. Michael "C" in Lorton

If I have learned nothing in life, I have learned one thing, "a lepoard doesn't change it spots." Hillary and Bill Clinton are powerful people with "small characters" and shallow relationships and to predict that there will be "no new scandals," well when you have enough "old ones", who needs new ones?.

February 12, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  16. Johna Taormina

Jack,
    How can anyone make promises for someone else's actions? Her husband, while President of the United States, lied about his actions, to the entire world and she stood by his side, supporting him. Good for her, maybe, but not good for our country. I want truth and integrity.
    Johna
    Livonia, MI

February 12, 2008 at 2:54 pm |
  17. Rex in Portland, Ore.

Of course I believe her. But she is forgetting that Carl Rove is still alive, dammit. And, who knows, Kenneth Starr may be lurking around some bush somewhere.

Sort of a moot point anyhow considering Big Mo.

February 12, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  18. Candice - NYC

Are you kidding me? No scandals from the Clintons is like trying to drive a car with no wheels. It just aint gonna happen.

February 12, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  19. Brian M. From Fort Mill, S.C.

That's a laugh. Just look in the dictionary for the word "scandal", and you'll see a picture of Bill Clinton. To paraphrase the fictional Forrest Gump, "I'm not a smart man, but I know what the definition of 'is' is."

February 12, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  20. Carolyn Wallin

Jack: Bad question. How about backing off of trashing the Clintons for one show. Most viewers have grown weary of your useless questions. Carol Lawrenceville NJ

February 12, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  21. Greg from PA

We can read Hillary's lips until she's blue in the face, but there's no way she can guaranty Bill's behavior. A cheetah can change its spots more easily than Bill can change his wicked ways.

February 12, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  22. mike morrell

the only way hillary is going to stop bill, would be to send him to guantomino.

February 12, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  23. Yvonne

The question is does she believe herself? America has enough to deal with these days without the added stress of the Clinton Soap Opera. Hillary has made her point by embarrassing Bill and demeaning his presidency. Enough already

February 12, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  24. Jack Dermody

What a ridiculous question. Bill Clinton's normal behavior for a chief executive was made into scandals by Republican attack dogs - Ken Starr serving as the chief executioner of the pack - then aided and abetted by a frenzied and frothing media who served the same gullible hordes that nose into Britney Spears' life today. So who cares what Bill will do? Get back to something that matters.

February 12, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  25. Jonathan Wolf from Spring Branch, Texas

Did we believe that O.J. Simpson wasn't going to have any new scandals? Or perhaps Michael Jackson? With Bill at her side, there will always be controversy.

February 12, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  26. Lucille Coogen in Brooklyn, NY

Jack: "Politics has no relationship to "morals or values." She shouldn't promise what she cannot deliver, but then she been doing that throught the campagin.

February 12, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  27. Billie Kentucky

You all need to quit making this race about Bill Clinton, you're not making it about the other spouses. Seems to me like Michelle Obama is the one who would run the white house. People didn't like it when Hillary got involved in the white house politics, just wait and see what M. Obama does. Oh, but I guess that will be alright, we don't want to say anything about the precious Obamas, do we?

February 12, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  28. Cale Forty(D)

We can't predict the future, but you can bet if there are, she'd be on Tira ten years later crying about it.

February 12, 2008 at 3:18 pm |
  29. BABucher, NYC

"You know, none of us can predict the future, no matter who we are and what we’re running for, but I’m very confident that that will not happen."

Wait. So she's not certain? Doesn't that mean that she's done something that *could* errupt into a scandal?

February 12, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  30. Richard from Littleton, MA

Why should we believe her? It's not as if the Clintons planned on having the Monica scandal, it's never a good thing for an administration. That being said, I'm sure they have (or Bill has, that is) learned their lesson, but after all, old habits die hard.

February 12, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  31. James from Cape Coral, FL

Jack,
    She didn't exactly promise anything. In the span of that one paragraph she said she can assure us it won't happen but nobody can predict the future but she's confidant it won't. Maybe it's just me but I hear three different responses when, to quote Wolf Blitzer, "This is the kind of question that lends itself to a yes or no answer."

February 12, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  32. David,San Bernardino,CA.

No new scandals? As long as the swift-boaters and the right wing blowhards are out there they will dig something up,whether it's true or not. I was hoping that the american people had grown up and gone beyond pettiness and hatred,but that was wishful thinking. Even St. Obama will be slandered with something. It is very sad how low and disgusting our country's politics have become.

February 12, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  33. Independent in AZ

Very simple Jack, NO! It's not the first time the Clintons have lied and then denied something!

February 12, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  34. Mary

Jack:
    I do believe that Sen Clinton will do her absolute best to keep her nose, and that of her husband, clean during her presidency. I think that she is able to learn from mistakes of the past. For example, I think she learned the hard way during this campaign that there are times and issues that he should just butt out. Notice the difference in his tone on the trail now versus a month ago. I think she is an intelligent, driven woman that is not about to let him screw things up for her anymore. Any woman that has been married to a opinionated man for more than 10 years knows that once in a while they have to be reminded to sit down and zip it. In the ordinary world though, you usually only have to worry about this at family gatherings, instead of in front of the entire planet.

Mary
    Nebraksa

February 12, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  35. Bb

No. There is plenty new dirt lurking under that door mat and I am certain it isn't going to be pretty.

February 12, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  36. Jess, Ohio

Jack,

I do believe her. Hillary is her own person, trying to maintain her individualism that seems to have been morphed with Bill's. Bill and Hillary are not the same person. This country is so quick to judge that since Bill wasn't exactly squeaky clean, people automatically assume Hillary will be the same way?
    I guess people forgot what happens when you 'assume.'

February 12, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  37. Robert Sutton

Hillary promising no scandal in her campaign or administration is like promising that fire will be wet, I think we all know better. She dosn't see a good reason to have to explain herself to the American people, after all, she's a shoo-in; right?

February 12, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  38. Jae

Jack –

This is funny. My wife says this is like a guy proposing to his sweetheart by saying "marry me but first promise me you wont cheat on me any more." In her response, what Hillary really meant to say is “You know, I just can assure this reader that that is not going to happen and if it does, we wont get caught this time." Yes, funny that this is even a question asked to a potential leader of the free world.

February 12, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  39. Vince, Los Angeles

This is PRECISELY why I will never vote for Hillary Clinton. This election is too darn important to take a chance on the Clintons and their myriads of scandals! If she somehow makes it to the White House she will get NOTHING accomplished!

February 12, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  40. GLENN

No new scandals....C'mon give me a break, this IS the Clinton's we are talking about. The interesting part of her comment was "You know, none of us can predict the future". Translation – I do not know which one will be made public first.
    Glenn
    St. Louis, MO

February 12, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  41. aware

If you call getting something done a scandal then the answer is yes. Hillary the HOPE of 08

February 12, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  42. David Young

Western Springs, IL

Wow, you know you're in trouble when you have to promise that the "First Man" will behave. It almost sounds like a mother promising that her son will behave in school. In all seriousness, this is one of the reasons why Hillary will not receive my vote, I just don't want a scandal ridden White House.

February 12, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  43. Steve, Idaho

Bill Clinton is like a big old mangy dog that's constantly sniffing around and getting his nose into some kind of mischief. Hillary claims she's got him on a leash now although just in the past month, he's chewed up a few pellows and urinated on her couch. I can imagine how she could run the country and keep the dog out of trouble at the same time. Wooof

February 12, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  44. Fem from Knoxville, TN

Hey Jack,

President Clinton seems to have too many Scandals woven around his than for anybody to stick out his/her neck for him. Hymm... I cannot believe Mrs Clinton.

Fem
    Knoxville, TN

February 12, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  45. Leigh

Unfortunately in this world, sometimes good people make bad decisions and get caught up in things that aren't of their best interest. That is what it is...we are humans, and none are perfect, everyone makes mistakes!

Bill made a few, HOWEVER, no one can take away his success as President! We were in better shape when he was in office, than we were when he got there and CERTAINLY now!

So criticize all you want, but the bottom line is, HE lead this country in the right direction only for the Bush administration to tear it down, which will take us years to recover from...

So in reality, whose decisions were worse?

Nothing President Clinton did hurt the UNITED STATES...hurt his family...YES, hurt himself, YES, but not our Country!

Can Bush say the same? Absolutely NOT!

February 12, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  46. Paul, Lafayette LA

Of course I believe her. You know why? Because she will be the one creating the scandals. She already is- all this Florida and Michigan delegate seating, throwing parties in Florida, and yesterday deciding that those of us in the states that voted for Obama were just not that important because they don't really represent the electorate. That's great. Disenfranchise the voters already. Tell us we don't matter. Good thing I voted for Obama. Bill will keep his nose clean – but Hillary will be a terrible mess.

February 12, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  47. joe m

scandal and the clintons seem to go together like ham and eggs, peanutbutter and jelly, or biscuits and gravy. she may have to eat this words later.

February 12, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  48. Marc

Does it matter? Hillary will be president this time, not Bill.

February 12, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  49. Bukky, Baltimore

Ummm No. Where there is a Clinton there is a scandal.... Just like where there is a Bush there is an Idiot...

February 12, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  50. Jesse, Kentucky

Yes, Jack, I believe her, but understand that her promise would be the same as if back in 2000 George W Bush had promised there would be no new scandals involving his brother Neil (remember Neil's part in the Savings & Loan scandal from the '80s that cost taxpayers one billion doallars?). While Neil did manage to keep his head down most of the time over the last eight years (with the exception of his divorce depostion that detailed his adventures with paid escorts in Thailand and Hong Kong), the fact of the matter is that George W managed to generate enough bad headlines all by himself without any help whatsoever from his brother.

Whoever the next president of the United States turns out to be, they should be judged on their own merits (or scandals), not the merits (or scandals) of their family members.

February 12, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  51. Mia

Did she put a tracking device on Bill's ankle? Did Hillary really fire Patty Solis as campaign manager or is her job now keeping Bill in check to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid? I have noticed here in Wisconsin that Chelsea is the one stumping for Hillary, not Bill. Just another indication that Bill is a liability. (And do you honestly believe that the Clinton naysayers are really going to let anyone forget about the scandals)?

February 12, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  52. Charles Liken

In a city where 65 per cent of the politicians cheat on their spouses only a dirty little mind would call one more dalliance a scandal. 52 million dollars of taxpayer money were spent to find nothing wrong with Whitewater. Scandal is spelled "Haliburton."

February 12, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  53. Hollis

Hillary can't control Bill's behavior entirely. He desperately needs attention, and if he can't get it in a positive way–well, he'll do whatever it takes (scandal, showing off, negative acting out) to get it.

February 12, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  54. John

It was a silly question to ask her- what was she supposed to say?

I don't believe her, nonetheless. President Clinton should have just admitted to what he did. He only cared about himself, so he lied for seven months. Because he lied, he and Ken Starr share equal responsibility for the year-long tawdry scandal that America had to endure.

He has already dragged his wife down in the primaries- it's scary of what he could do in the general election.

February 12, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  55. ann

HA HA HA.. Ahh ha ha..

February 12, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  56. JoAnn in Iowa

Jack
    Hillary couldn't control Bill when they were in the White House. There is no reason to believe she'll have the time or energy to control him in the future.

February 12, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  57. david swenson

Wake up Democrates! The Clintons are responsibe for GW Bush being in the Whitehouse. Al Gore lost by a very small margin in 2000 and Bubba's impeachment was the difference. The basis for Hilary's campaign is Bush's failed presidency. Do we as Democrates reward the Clintons for the past 7 years?
    Does anyone really believe that a new Clinton presidency will be any different?
    Presidents lead by being "Presidential" . Trust matters.

February 12, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  58. IndependentTogether

Jack, what else is she going to say?! She appears to be allergic to the truth, or at least suffers from a severe case of cognitive dissonance.

I swear, the more she talks, the more she reminds me of Badgad Bob: "I voted for the war, but it wasn't my fault", "causes don't matter", "I shuffled my staff but nothing is wrong with my campaign", "there will be no new scandals", on and on and on...

February 12, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  59. Ron Martinsville, Va.

If she'll send Bill to a deserted Island with no phone, I'll believe her Jack.

February 12, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  60. jack from PA

Hi Jack,
    You know the answer yourself. The answer is absolutely no, I don't believe her!. Of course the Clintons would say anything, promise everything, to get elected. Wait what would happen just during her first year in her presidency (wait a minute, the president is Obama, is in he?). Clintons do not even want to disclose the financial information; why would I believe for other things?

February 12, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  61. Jim in Orlando

This is "pot-kettle-black" all over again. Bill may or may not continue his ongoing daliances. Hillary's past scandals (Madison Guarantee, Travelgate, FBI Files, cattle futures, etc), while in lesser positions of power, are the real alarm bell here. She can't pass the stink test herself ... forget Bill.

February 12, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  62. L Jeanne

I think what is underneath the anger of many anti-Clinton pro-Obama Americans is a residue of troubling questions and scandals – perhaps vetted – but largely unanswered from the old Clinton administration. Enough residue that – regardless of the truth factor – there are many with old vendettas waiting to pounce if they make it to the Whitehouse again. We are weary of these battles. I will not vote for her.
    L Jeanne
    Rainier WA

February 12, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  63. Mike

Of course there will be scandals. Her husband is not going to go anywhere. No doubt the scandles that will happen if she is put in office will be blamed on her husband. She could not ask for a better setup.

Gering Nebraska

February 12, 2008 at 3:42 pm |
  64. Jeff

I believe Hillary Clinton would like to think there wouldn’t be another scandal involving Bill or anyone she may choose in her cabinet. However, history proves different; given the same group of people with the same behavior will more than likely produce the same results.

I think it’s time for America to move forward, and have faith in the new generation of leaders who’s willing to challenge the unknown.

Silver Spring, MD

February 12, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  65. Sarah L.

There are few things that I could believe less. The Clintons are two of the most scandalous people in the history of politics. Come on. Voters are tired of being treated like they are stupid.

February 12, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  66. Roger

Jack,

Perhaps Senator Clinton needs to read some recent editions of the Wall Street Journal and Newsweek magazine. Her husband's post-presidency business deals are already coming under scrutiny. If scandal is not something she is concerned about, why is she resisting the release of her and Bill's tax returns.
    Senator Obama has done so with his. Oh that's right, only a "naive" politician would do such a thing voluntarily.

Roger
    Denver, CO

February 12, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  67. Chuck

YES YES YES YES YES...

February 12, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  68. Frantz (Atlanta)

Bill Clinton in the white house with more free time and the wife away on business = scandals.

February 12, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  69. Jr

Scandals are a part of every presidency. As long as they don't run the country into the ground, who cares.

February 12, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  70. Rick Greene

It seems that if Hillart were truly confident there would be no future scandals, she wouldn't have qualified her response by saying ".....none of us can predict the future...."

February 12, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  71. Tom, Avon Maine, The Heart of Democracy

I am part of the majority of voters that support the Obamas, but in a perfect world Senator Clinton's candidacy would not be harmed by having a bozo husband. Don't we each have enough to manage when we are carrying our own weight?

February 12, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  72. David of Mississippi

She wishes! Bill has nothing to loose so he just blasts away. He had some dumb moments while president and hasn't changed any. The only way Hillary is going to win this thing is with Bill calling in favors. The embarasement will come when we find out how these favors were bought and when.

February 12, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  73. Mark

Rather than accepting her bland re-assurance, I hope that at the next debate in Austin she is asked to explain exactly what she will do if there is a scandal, especially an infedility involving her husband and another member of staff. Will she divorce him? She should answer the question directly and not evade it.

February 12, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  74. Stephen, Wilmington, NC

COME ON JACK, IF YOU LOOK UP SCANDLE IN THE DICTIONARY YOU WILL SEE A PICTURE OF THE CLINTONS !!!!!!!!!!!!

February 12, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  75. Jeane Copsin

Sure I believe her. She is the perfect example of stand by your man. While the Republicans dug every skelton they could out of the closet to try to direct public attention away from President Clinton's success, he still will go down in history as one of the most successful and liked presidents of history. Hillary will do even better because women think with other parts of their bodies' more than men do. They are better multi-taskers and thank God they can show emotion when it is needed. Of course, they will go after her when she goes up against McCain but she has already proven her strength and that is why they are so afraid she will win the nomination. She is one tough lady.

February 12, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  76. Alex

I believe there won't be any scandals because Hillary will cut her ties with Bill when she is elected. There marriage is held together only by the possibility that she may get elected. It is sad when you have to use your own spouse for your gain. We all know that this is a political marriage, which speaks volumes about Hillary's character.

February 12, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  77. Michael from Maryland

35 Years of Experience!

35 years of experience and she voted to go to war (on Day One)
    35 years of experience and she didn’t see caucuses as important (On Day One)
    35 years of experience and she said it was going to be over on Feb. 5 th, (On Day One)
    35 years of experience and she running out of money during her campaign (On Day One)
    35 years of experience and she can not pick the right campaign manager (On Day One)

Like Obama said, there is more to it than to be ready on day one; you have to be right from day one.
    Wouldn’t it be better if she was right from day one?

February 12, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  78. Steve (from PA)

Part of the reason for the scandals is the lying. Lets face it, even though there were some good things that happened during Bill Clinton's reign as president, he also flat out lied about several things. Now lying (or spinning as its called in politics) is not unique in politics, but then to come off as the victim and attacking the truthfulness of other candidates does not go over well. Much of this has rubbed off on Hillary, you can't only associate yourself with the past with things that are positives for you, the negatives follow you also. When you are not truthful, there are bound to be scandals, so we can expect more as long as there is all this back-room dealing and lying.

February 12, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  79. Alex in Madison Wisconsin

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Sorry Jack, I couldn't catch my breath after laughing so hard and long. Who does she think she's kidding? There's enough scandal in the Clinton's past and future to last a lifetime. The country needs that like they need more Chinese imports.
    Alex, Madison Wisconsin.

February 12, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  80. Darnell Horton

First scandal will be sex related.... Bill Clinton could not keep IT in his pants when he was the leader of the free world. There is no way he can be a "stay at home husband" and not cheat. He has been cheating all of his life.

Darnell
    Atlanta,
    GA

February 12, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  81. Isaiah

People don't vote for the Clintons because they believe in what the Clintons say: And that's the Clinton mystique.

February 12, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  82. John T. Lucas

Mr. Cafferty:

Why is Whitewater included in your question? That was a small land deal that went belly up. No wrong-doing was found on the part of the Cllntons. The real scandal belongs to the Republicans who kept that nearly sixty million dollar investigation going under the control of the unspeakable Ken Starr.

Shame on you, Jack. You know better.

John Lucas
    Victoria, BC

February 12, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  83. Jacquie from California

Jack: Let's get on with business on who can run this country and establish our relationships aboard. The Democratic candidates are making every effort to "rise above" the smut that often occurs during campaigns like this. Raising questions like this is similar to a drug dealer on the corner....tempting the worst to come out in people.

Please set the standard for all the media to rise above it as well. It would do well for all the pundits to view our country from foreign soil to once again appreciate the decency of our candidates this year and quit trying to pull dirt out of any corner they can find. How about asking the question if your viewers feel the media has painted a "fair-haired boy" image of Barrack Obama. You might be surprised and then it would be refreshing for you to act accordingly. Hillary has been scrutinized with a fine-tooth comb; and as she has said, Obamma has yet to be. You might be doing us a favor either by scrutinizing him as well OR better yet...leave them alone.

February 12, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  84. Adarrah, NC

Hillary, did you sip that hope flavored Obama Kool-aid?

February 12, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  85. Lee

I used to be a Clinton defender. I dismissed all their enemies as part of a conspiracy to bring them down. After seeing how they run a primary election against a fellow Democrat, I have to rethink every scandal. Maybe I was too quick to defend. Obama could have brought up many Clinton scandals, past and present, but has chosen to stay above the frey. Good for him!

Lee From Woodbridge VA

February 12, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  86. Kelly - PA

History always repeats itself Jack, especially with the Clintons!

Kelly – Pittsburgh, PA

February 12, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  87. Kathy

I'm with Andrea – LOL!!

February 12, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  88. LisaMpls

Jack, you are just pandering to the anti-Clintons. Let's focus on what it takes to be President and not on a candidate's spouse. If you care so much to bash Bill, then you need to start doing your digging on Obama's and McCain's wives. There is dirt there, too.

February 12, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  89. Nick

No more scandal only if the Dems retain the Congress. If the GOP gets in as should be expected, then it deja vu again. The Clintons come with endless drama. It is part of the package. Dems who support her are in denial.

February 12, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  90. Elizabeth Singletary

Hillary Clinton can't promise that there will be no new scandals involving Bill. She may think he has learned his lesson, but when you think about it, he only got slapped on the hand and recieved a lot of publicity for Monica being under his desk. Hillary will be more than busy trying to fix the chaos that Bush has left . This will be a 24/7 project. She won't have time for Bill, and Bill won't have anything to do, since he will not be holding any kind of official office. He says he will be her adviser, well have you ever seen an advisor with a shackles on. Hillary needs to invest in some. My father always told me a that idol time is a the devils playground.

February 12, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  91. Melanie

Well. Let's think about it? Why do you think Mr Clinton wants to have his wife in the White House? He's just thinking about the running mini-skirts. And if Mrs Clinton thinks she can stop scandal, I would stay to her : Dreaming is a wonderful thing, but this isn't Disneyland.

February 12, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  92. Frank

Hey Jack,

Let's look at your list of "scandals." Whitewater turned out to be absolutely nothing. Impeachment was far more a scandal having to do with Republican abuse of power. And the bimbo problem is Hillary's to solve as she sees fit. So why don't you and the rest of the media climb down off your high horses.

The next presidential campaign, and the Democratic administration that follows, will be plagued by scandal-mongering for one simple reason. We will still be plagued by the existence of Republicans.

February 12, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  93. KB

I don't think so, the media and Obama camp has tried to crucify Hillary and Bill all this time. I'd think by now they'd have dug up something valid and new.

February 12, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  94. neil

Jack,
    This has always been the problem that I have always had with the Clintons. You just never really know what they are saying. In one sentence, she "assures this reader that that is not going to happen". Then in the very next sentence she states, "You know, none of us can predict the future....". Maybe we should all just sit around and meditate about the true meaning of "is".

February 12, 2008 at 3:54 pm |
  95. Scott

I am surprised that no one has brought this up before.....if you look in the dictionary under scandel it says...see clinton

February 12, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  96. Ronald

You just can't leave it alone can you Cafferty. You gave your book a good title, but you should have added that You are a big part of the reason "Its Getting Ugly Out Tthere".

February 12, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  97. Don in Grand Rapids, Mi

Jack,

I believe her just as much as I believe wht you say! She has no worry about scandals cause she'll never reside in the peoples house again!

February 12, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  98. yvonne kell

no one in this election is free of scandal whether it be a wayward spouse
    or someone who has shady dealings with convicted criminals. we must
    vote for the candidate that we feel will do the best job as president, someone
    with experience and conviction, someone who cares about the middle class
    of this country. vote for hillary clinton

February 12, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  99. dmontyo

You know it's all a sham.

February 12, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  100. Yusuf, NC

Well as someone smartly said yesterday

Monica Monica Monica Monica Monica Monica Monica Monica Monica Monica Monica Monica Monica Monica Monica Monica Monica Monica Monica Monica Monica Monica

February 12, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  101. Tom S.

She could only make that promise if all her interns were cut in the Janet Reno mold......come to think of it, maybe not even then.

February 12, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  102. Susan

Yes I believe her. This time around the scandals will be involving HER.
    Why doen't Hill release her tax documents now? Why does she wants to wait till she gets nomination. This lack of transperancy scares me to death.

February 12, 2008 at 3:57 pm |
  103. Tina

Just like when Bush put his hands on the Bible he swore that he will restore morals to the White House and I am still waiting and I will be like Repumpstilskin and have a long beard before that happens and we all know that Hillary can't control Bill.

February 12, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  104. Dennis G form FL

Maybe that is why he is going over seas

February 12, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  105. Michael D. - SC

I absolutely believe her. She's an honorable, smart and compasionate lady. When are you gonna just come out and say you hate Hillary Clinton, Jack? You're constantly picking on her. Why don't you ask the same type questions of Obama? Oh, I forgot ... he's your candidate. Dumb question!

February 12, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  106. John Cook - Chicago

I don't believe Hillary because this is not something that she can promise. She and Bill can both be on their best behavior and scandals may still arise. Not necessarily due to their own dalliances, but we all know that if the Republicans do not win this election they will do everything they can think of to bring disrepute to Hillary's administration in an attempt to come back in 2012.

February 12, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  107. Dan

I am a loyal Democrat who voted for Bill in '92 and '96. I have a framed photograph of me shaking hands with Hillary on the mantle in our family room. And this morning when I stepped inside the voting booth in Maryland, it was precisely those scandals (e.g., Travelgate, Vince Foster's suicide, Whitewater, etc.) coupled with her handling (or mishandling) of the health reform debacle back in '93, and above all else, her polarizing personality that led me to vote for Obama's delegates instead. Sadly, I've concluded that only Hillary could make someone as divisive as Bush look like the Great Uniter. That's the very last thing this country needs right now.

February 12, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  108. linda hemmingsen

jack, don't you and cnn have done enough damage to the clinton campaign? what the heck are you guys doing? you and cnn have been delivering an obama win since the election started .there isn't a day that goes by without you guys bringing up things that happened years ago, you also forget to mention that ken starr and the republicans ran a vendetta after them for 8 years, and they came up with nothing and they got damaged because of the years of wasted money and the fact that republicans left in the peoples mind that they were corrupt and they weren't. thank you for taking away the ability to have a fair and democratic election.from a canadian who thinks hillary has got a raw deal and it's too bad because she would make the best president . we know it and the world knows too bad you would not give the american people the chance to see it too.also why haven't you asked obama any hard questions ?his wife gets treated like a queen in her interview and hillary gets these questions that are totally against her.

February 12, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  109. Mary NC

C'mon. The fact that she would actually promise no scandals is insane! I can just hear her trying to explain this when the first scandal invariably hits the fan. As the tape of her promising no scandals is played in a continuous loop: " It depends on your definition of "scandal."

February 12, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  110. Ross from Gainesville, FL

You know Jack, I follow politics pretty closely. In monitoring the tides of this election I am continually flabbergasted at the outrageous nature of her candidacy. The mere fact that this would even be a point of contention in her campaign is testament to the fact that the Clinton's have never been able to shy away from scandal and controversy. Of course there is going to be more of the same in the future, the only difference being is that she will be the face on the front page and not Bill. I mean check out the editorial section of the Wall Street Journal today. Does FALN pardons ring a bell?

February 12, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  111. Aisha (I-Sha),KY

I think the Clinton's are like the Soprano's – if you trust them, you may end up missing. No really, how can HIllary control Bill now? She couldn't control him the first time and she was only the First Lady. Maybe she doesn't realize, this time she will be the President. I am not sure if that is going to leave a lot of time to keep a tight leash on hound dog Bill.

-Aisha -KY

February 12, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  112. Michael

Jack,

This is the same woman that said that the voters in Washington state, Nebraska, Alaska, Louisanna, and a host of other states where she lost didn't matter. Hillary Clinton is delusional and will say anything to get the White House. The Clintons middle name should be scandal. The fact that she even had to be asked this question speaks volumes to the issue. Hopefully there will be no new scandals because she will not be in the White House again.

Michael in Atlanta, GA

February 12, 2008 at 4:05 pm |
  113. Betty in Mechanicsville

How can you believe Hilary. She didn't know what Bill was doing with Monica, Paula Jones, Jennifer Flowers, Kathleen Willey and who knows how many more. She believed it was some "right wing conspiracy" until he had to fess up. You think he's going to tell her all the dirt he's been involved in. You can bet the bank that some reporters will be scouring the underbrush to get a juicy story on him. If he couldn't control himself as President, what makes you think he has been a good boy since the end of his presidency?

February 12, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  114. James

What if Hillary should decide to chose Bill for her running mate???

February 12, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  115. jim barry

here you go again Jack. Another loaded question to berate Hillary. Why don't you have a question like " What does we must all stick together' comment made by Michelle Obama , or the free pass you and everyone is giving the so called "changer". I believe the news media have the Clinton campaign afraid to say anything because it may be construed as racist and therefore have a hand tied behind their back, thanks to you and the rest of the media

February 12, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  116. yul, Los Altos, CA

Notice that: Hilliary assures "this reader" only.

After so many years watching the Clintons, I learn to listen to and analyze their messages very very carefully. They twist and play words all the time. Bill Clinton will always be Bill Clinton. God bless Bill to be Bill, and Bill is great and unique in his own way.

I simply don't believe Hillary can assure the nation Bill won't get into trouble again. Would she assure the whole nation on that? Who are you kidding to trust such an assurance on other people's behavior??? Bill is just such a negative baggage Hillary carries. Too many dramas and distractions. Enough is enough.

There are many great Americans who deserve a chance and opportunity to lead this great country. Anyone, but, not the Clintons.

February 12, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  117. Frances McCarty

I don't know why people think Bill will do something terrible. I don't think he will ever hurt Hilllary so badly again.

February 12, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  118. marcus

AND NO NEW TAXES EITHER;

February 12, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  119. IndependentTogether in CA

I swear, the more she talks, the more she reminds me of Badgad Bob: “I voted for the war, but it wasn’t my fault”, “caucuses don’t matter”, “I shuffled my staff but nothing is wrong with my campaign”, “there will be no new scandals”, on and on and on…

February 12, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  120. Virginia (from Maryland)

I believe "she" believes it, and that's really sad.

February 12, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  121. Alex H

Jack –

Considering the fact that it was members of her side of the family that were involved in the lobbying for some of the more serious commutations during President Clinton's administration, I find it hard to believe that she will lead a scandal-free presidency. I can give her the benefit of a doubt for now, but I'll believe it when I see it and you better believe the country, and possibly the world, will have their eyes trained on her waiting for that one mistake to say "I knew it!"

Alex H.
    Waterbury, CT

February 12, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  122. Pablo

It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is......

It depends on what the meaning of the word "scandal" is.........

It depends........awwwww forget it.

February 12, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  123. Allen of Hartwell GA

Even if Hillary put Bill in a glass house and didn't let him out the Republican political machine would find something and try to create a scandal. Republicans wasted millions of dollars trying to get Bill Clinton in the 90s, and would do the same to Hillary, especially if they regained control of either house of Congress.
    Allen
    Hartwell, GA

February 12, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  124. lisa hamilton

LET HE WHO IS AMONG YOU WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE!

February 12, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  125. Sharon from Michigan

I would think that Bill is starting to slow down a bit. Former health issues and age are a factor. Bill has been pretty involved in his speaking engagements and helping the various charities. I'm sure if people dig deep enough, there could be something, but probably not like the "Monica Lewinsky" thing or the other scandals along the way. I don't think it would affect the Presidency for Hillary.

February 12, 2008 at 4:14 pm |
  126. Thomas, Tallahassee FL

Jack, I just can't see how a Clinton scandal would really affect President Obama.

February 12, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  127. Laura

No one can guarantee that and it is a stupid question unless you can read a crystal ball. Can't we all pull together and quit trying to divide by pushing people's buttons. Asking questions about the issues seems much more relevant.

February 12, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  128. MizLiz

Oh, brother. And just how does she know this? Does he have a minder following him everywhere he goes?

If there's one thing I know, deep in my bones....MEN DON't CHANGE. Never.

February 12, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  129. Bill, Quarryville, Pennsylvania

What if Obama wife was to have a scandal or Mccain's wife was to have a scandal? Why not ask that question. I don't give a damn about spouse scandals. They will be making the decisions. What I do care about is how the next president is going to clean up Bush's mess. Plus I don't think the news media will investigate any scandal anyhow. Unless someone delivers it to them on a silver platter. Just look what use guys missed with the last president over 900 and some false statements made after 911. Not counting all the scandals in the White House with Karl Rove and the boys. President Bush was able to stand at the podium and make stupid faces, lie about what he will do, then laugh it off. Which the news media seem to accept with not asking any more questions and not checking into it any father.

February 12, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  130. MJ

The ONLY way there will be no scandals is IF the media grew a patriotic limb and didn't broadcast the dirty laundry all over the world. JFK was no saint, but happened to be in office when the NATIONAL INTEGRITY meant more than it does today. Men are men, love and loyalty are not necessarily defined the same by them. As for Whitewater....there were NO CHARGES brought against the Clintons in that FOUR YEAR investigation. Give that one up people!

February 12, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  131. Terry

Bill Clinton does not have the same moral compass that guides most of us and keeps us out of trouble. Its all about Bill and what he wants, regardless of the consequences. Hillary has never been able to keep Bill from getting into scandals and she won't be able to stop him in the future.
    Terry
    North Carolina

February 12, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  132. Mick

Let me get this straight... he would be good at repairing America's image?

He can't repair the image we have of him!

February 12, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  133. Brian, Columbia, Md.

I believe her. The right wing attack machine that would be normally be consumed with creating those scandals will instead be focused on pinning the aftermath of Bush onto her presidency.

February 12, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  134. Amy, Kalamazoo

Jack,

It won't matter who ends up in the White House. No one is perfect. They crucified Jesus, didn't they?

Amy, Kalamazoo, MI

February 12, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  135. marrigotti

Of course there will be new scandals. The Clintons have gotten by with so much that it has emboldened them. And it's not just about Bill. Hillary's hands are equally dirty.

February 12, 2008 at 4:20 pm |
  136. Mary

Jack,

C'mon Jack. Control Bill? Hillary will not be home half the time. How many times have parents instructed their teens not to have parties while they were gone. My parents are still finding beer bottles from my last party and that was 15 years ago. No doubt, when Hillary is not looking, Bill will party.

February 12, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  137. Shawn

Well I don't think any politician really INTENDS for there to be scandals. I seriously doubt Clinton was thinking "Oh man I sure hope this makes the evening news!" when he was with Monica. So sure I'm sure her intentions are for there not to be.I'm sure her husband's history will make her even more determined to stop it. But will there be scandals? Most likely.

Shawn M.
    Greenville, NC

February 12, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  138. Terri

Jack,

I would support Hillary 100% I think Bill will be kept very busy helping clean up the Bush mess.

Hillary will be the only on to get my vote. If she is not the choice I will not vote in November.

February 12, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  139. Sammy James

Hey Jack:

The real problem with Clinton is something that no one is talking about yet - congressional races.. Even if she faces "no new scandals," she might still have an impossible time getting her agenda through congress.

Congress is rating LOWER in polls than even Bush. She probably won't lose the White House, because even Republicans hate Bush. But many people might pull the lever for a Republican Senator or Representative.

And if you think that this is impossible - well - 1994, anyone...?

– Sammy

February 12, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  140. Albert

No. She doesn't control it. The opposition seems to be adroit at digging up Clinton scandals. And maybe the Clinton's have been adroit at providing them the opportunity.

Albert
    Columbia, MO

February 12, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  141. Chuck in Oregon

Hillary may believe that there will be no new scandals; however, the question is can her husband be trusted to behave himself and to conduct himself in a truly professiona manner. History has taught us that will not happen, if you have a history of doing stupid and silly things, chances most will not beable to accept your word that you will not do them again. This is especially true when you lie about it after being caught. Sorry Hillary, you have more faith in your husband than most American's do.

February 12, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  142. Cher, North Port, FL

Never say never...

February 12, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  143. sky

The problem is that with any type of relationship a person knows that if it happens once it can happen again....what if it happens several times. Lets not just make this about Bill either. They both have had their hands in things that could be considered dicey. Either you do it or you dont, there is no inbetween

February 12, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  144. Susan

There will always be scandal surrounding the Clinton's. They have far too much baggage.

Dave
    Paducah, KY

February 12, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  145. Jesse Boren

Are you kidding, the right will make up scandals if they can't find them. I'll bet Bill will give them plenty of stuff though. Can you imagine Bill Clinton as First Lady , it'll be one big party for him. What was those papers Hillary won't release?Scandals waiting for daylight.

February 12, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  146. J. McKinney

I think the personal life of the Clintons is their business. Nothing Bill did hurt his ability to run the country in the best condition it has been run in my lifetime (I'm 66). And nothing Bill did hasn't been done by at least 75% of other politicians in D.C. Let's get real here. Tho what he did was wrong in his marriage, but it was the Republicans who couldn't find anything of importance to hold against him that stirred this up. We need Hillary. Bill will be fine.

February 12, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  147. Leticia

I know she hopes that would be the case, but then again she said that hoping was "naive".

February 12, 2008 at 4:31 pm |
  148. Conrad

Her arguments get weaker by the day. Sen. Clinton thinks she's the best candidate because she's fought the Republicans before and there will be no new scandals. Reminding everyone of the old scandals doesn't seem like the best strategy... It seems to me there won't be time for any new scandals because we'll be too busy with the old ones.

February 12, 2008 at 4:33 pm |
  149. Mac Ibrahim

Personal scandals should not be our business, we should care only about what happen in the country. The economy, our national security, the future of next generations, social security, education, unemployment. All these essues are what we care about. Monica scandal was brough up and all the dirt associated with it was thrown on us to score politican gain. The clintons were cleared in courts from the so called White Water, however it still mentioned as a scandal. Bill Clinton left the country in the best shape, and hope Hillary will have the chance to replicate his policies.

February 12, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  150. Mati

Scandals and excitement keep alive the American culture.. anything else available? I am always laughing when Hillary talks about hard work to change America. Can you imagine how shocked are Americans to hear they should replace chanting and dreaming with work?

I have no reason to believe Obama more than Hillary on any promises. Plus, I care less about Bill's 'scandals' than about Obama's lack of experience.

February 12, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  151. Christine from California

No. Just last week, McCain was heaping praises on Karl Rove. Hmm, do you think he just might join that campaign? Even if he doesn't, he's already up to his dirty tricks. If Hill and Bill actually behave themselves and avoid a scandal, Rove and his bottom feeders will manufacture one.

Thousand Oaks, Ca.

February 12, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  152. Ed P.

There is only so much you can fit into a closet before the door won't shut. And the Republicans are going to have a field day keeping this door open. She already has too much baggage and if she wins the nomination we'll see it all, plus the new stuff.

Bklyn, NY

February 12, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  153. Proud

The Clintons lost the last two critical years of Bill's second term and countless opportunities to impact the domestic agenda of this country. H-Clinton WILL face those SAME enemys and ultimately not be able to govern.

Nothing that I have seen thus far in this campaign changes my opinion. Bill Clinton is a liability today and he will continue to be one tomorrow.

February 12, 2008 at 4:49 pm |
  154. Clayton Campbell

The stakes of the election are so high, it is not worth taking the chance. In California, where the Hollywood rumor mill is always active, there are stories about Bill Clinton's recent behavior that would curl your hair. For everyone's sake, lets hope it is not true, but again, why take the chance?

February 12, 2008 at 4:50 pm |
  155. Anna

Yes, I believe Hillary 101 percent ! She's sincere and trustworthy, a real leader in every sense of the word; she will make a great president. Don't count her out: she has more trump cards to strut her stuff ! Obama is all rhetorics and the public just loves his booming and loud speeches although they have no substance at all. His supporters seem to be turning into a cult.

February 12, 2008 at 6:19 pm |
  156. ron

who in the world would care about bill clinton scandals, after the crimes committed by the bush administration. How do you compare treason to monica lewenski

February 12, 2008 at 6:31 pm |
  157. Slim

what i can tell you is that it's completely unfair to hold her husband's actions against her. i think that hillary would make a great president. i'd like her more though if she dumped bill.

who cares about bill's personal actions; they only affected his presidency becasue other people waiting to take him down made it so. what has bush done these past eight years except royally screw up this country? he went on vacation – again and again. our wonderful do-nothing worth-nothing president.

at least we know all there is to know about the clinton's. obama's a complete mistery to me and i would never vote for someone i know nothing about. we have a myriad of serious issues to deal with – now is not the time for obama. we need an accomplished, knowledable person to get something done!

February 12, 2008 at 6:31 pm |
  158. Gerry

no new scandals

yeah

no new taxes ring a bell?

Lancaster PA

February 12, 2008 at 6:31 pm |
  159. Joy Spivey

I cannot think of anyone who is more equiped to run our country than Hillary Clinton. She is running for president not Bill. Besides,Bill Clinton was a very good president and I am confidant that he is her husband and will give her very good advice. They are both very experienced and care deeply for the USA and for the working people who are a very big part of what this country is about.

February 12, 2008 at 6:31 pm |
  160. arleigh Butler

As a "thank god I am a Canadian" individual I am shocked at the lack of respect that most Americans and in particular the media have for their former Presidents. From where we sit up here, we found President Bill Clinton to be a President who not only cared about America but cared also about the future of such countries as Palestine and Israel among others. He was a good friend to all including the Russian President. He was able to leave office with a huge surplus, time were good for the American people. Hillary, has a wide experience she should never be discounted by men nor the Republicans nor for that matter the Democrats. She is not just a rock star like the media has made Obama she is one who wil deliver she can be counted on to do that. Her cabinet will be made up of experienced individuals, compassionate individuals and ones who will get the job done. Do not get fooled by hype and fancy words by the Obama campaign who preaches, We will overcome, it is our turn, change etc,. We have heard it all before have we not?? Up here we or we are led to believe that the American people are unable to think for themselves or better still are swept up with a rock star presentation without thinking of the consequences.

February 12, 2008 at 6:31 pm |
  161. Perla Kaufman

I do believe Hillary Clinton.
    Why should this kind of question come up at all?
    I think President Clinton will be a great help as
    a healer of international relations.
    We should be grateful to have him in the wings.

February 12, 2008 at 6:33 pm |
  162. Billy D.

As an “Obamacan” the only potential scandal I see is the Democratic nomination being decided in her favor by “Super Delegates” undermining the superiority of the democratic idea as well as Democrat, and Independent Americans.

Asheboro, NC