January 4th, 2008

A GOP demolition derby?

ALT TEXT

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:
While the Democratic Party is approaching a swoon over Barack Obama, last night's Iowa caucuses turned the Republican race into a demolition derby.

Although the contest in Iowa traditionally narrows the field, last night's results have done just the opposite, giving more Republicans a chance to get the nomination. And you better believe it will get bloody before it gets decided.

Mike Huckabee's Iowa victory means it's a much more open race going into New Hampshire. He now has the opportunity to capitalize on his win, show that he can get support from more than just Evangelicals and turn his campaign into a national competition.

But he's far from the only one who stands a chance. John McCain, who has been surging in recent polls in New Hampshire, hopes to win there and use that momentum to move forward. The fact that Mitt Romney didn't win last night is great news for McCain.

When it comes to Romney, Iowa was a huge loss for him, having spent so much money and time there. He needs to find a way to recover. If he loses again, in New Hampshire, you can stick a fork in Romney… he's done. And then there's Rudy Giuliani. Iowa validated what many say is a risky strategy for him: skip the early, small states and count on Super Tuesday and being able to do well in places like Florida.

In other words, game on.

Here’s my question to you: Who ultimately will emerge as the GOP presidential nominee?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Bruce writes:
The Huckster of course will win the nomination. And if he doesn’t and the diehard Republicans push through McCain, the beating will be even worse on November 7th, 2008. McCain can only play to the fear.

John from Tempe, Arizona writes:
I think when it is all done on the Republican side, John McCain will probably get it. Romney was finished yesterday when he lost to Huckabee. Huckabee does not have enough cash to get much past South Carolina. Giuliani would literally have to lose 5 consecutive states and then make a comeback. I do not think that has ever been done before. Thompson failed last night so he is no longer the choice of the far right Reagan conservatives. McCain is the only one left.

Jason from Washington writes:
Huckabee just had his first and last win. Giuliani's Iowa results just signed his ticket out of frontrunner status. McCain and Thompson are in a constant battle for mediocrity. Though enthusiastic about none of the candidates, I suppose in the end, the GOP will stomach a Mitt Romney nomination. Though I'm still crossing my fingers for Ron Paul.

Robert writes:
I think the fight for the Republican nominee is going to be nothing short of a war. Romney has spent millions and he will try to destroy anyone that gets in his way. John McCain isn't going to go quietly into the night; he is battle tested and has the organization to last. Look forward to a mud slinging, name calling, swift boating, Republican primary battle. Can’t ‘ya wait?

Shelby writes:
Take the fenders from Giuliani, the grill from Romney, the engine from McCain and the interior from Huckabee and you may have a Republican contender. Otherwise, they're all fragments in the pit for repairs.

Filed under: GOP
  1. Ed Reed

John McCain and even though I have a lot of respect for his personal story and supported him in 2000, I will not vote for him. We have a fundamental disagreement over the necessity for the invasion of Iraq.

January 4, 2008 at 1:33 pm |
  2. David A. Morse

Jack:

John McCain will ultimately will emerge as the GOP presidential nominee. I feel that at the end of the day Republican voters will choose the man with the most International policy experience. I also believe that social conservatives will be be unable to vote for Huckabee because of his total lack of any experience in World Affairs.

January 4, 2008 at 1:48 pm |
  3. Thomas, SC

I don't know who will win, but I can tell you who won't win: Huckabee. Iowa may be full of evangelicals who don't care about the issues, but the Republicans in the rest of the states will be smart enough to see that Huckabee is a pro-illegal immigration, tax-and-spend democrat disguising himself as a Republican behind conservative social views.

January 4, 2008 at 1:52 pm |
  4. Bert

I believe Rudy Guliani will be the GOP nominee. Why? Because he's the only Republican running who is both a 9/11 insider and, like the rest of the gang(sters), is making a killing off the Ziocon Wars. The Republicans can be assured he will continue this fear-based charade called the War On Terror indefinately so they can pocket another cool trillion bucks.

January 4, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  5. Martin

Jack, who cares. The GOP could nominate the Pope and he couldn't get elected no matter how much CNN and Fox don't like the idea. Bush took care of that.

January 4, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  6. Brian Nancoo - Trinidad

There's only two candidates in the GOP race, Gov Huckabee and Senator McCain. Republicans will quickly rally around only one candidate and Gov Huckabee has the advantage because he is in the lead now.If he finishes strong in New Hampshire,he'll keep his momentum and lock up the nomination in South Carolina.Its going to be Gov Huckabee.

January 4, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  7. Rich, Texas

Rudy Giuliani will be the nominee for the republicans. As I see it if the man can run a city like New York and clean it up and take on the Mafia as district attorney and live through it all plus 9-11 he is only lacking two things. A red S on his chest and a Cape. Rudy is a super politician and can get things done where other people can't. He is the only viable candidate on the republican side. Even evangelicals would be reluctant to vote for Huckabee because they can take an hour of preaching on Sunday but when they leave church the preacher stays behind. America will not elect another Pulpit president for a long long time. That leaves who? Thompson. Yeah right, Mr. Geritol Thompson has one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel in politics and he is just a slip and a slide away from going back to making Television programs which is where he should have stayed with his testing the waters campaign. What a joke that was. There was one more, oh that’s right Mr. Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran McCain. Bet he wishes he could take that little remark back now. Mccain is not viable either. He is a Bush in McCain clothing and even us republicans are sick of Mr. Bush. 8 years of that type of philosophy is enough and no one is going to sign on for another 4 with McCain. Yep Rocking Rudy is the GOP candidate for 2008 you watch and see!

January 4, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  8. Vinnie Vino

Jack,

The GOP presidential nominee will be God... After 8 years of President Bush that is who they need to run to win the presidency. All joking aside they will nominate the next best person to God in this race former Gov. Huckabee...

January 4, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  9. Richard Sternagel

Jack, whoever the Republicans nominate will not get my vote.None of the candidates speak to the real needs of the common working class people.In stead they represent oil,Big Business,continuation of the Iraq war,special interests etc.

January 4, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  10. Patricia

The only 1 worthy enough to me to win the nomination is Ron Paul, but, he won't get it. Who will win it? A "NEO-CON/RELIGIOUS RIGHTIST" who has no business running for dog catcher & you can take your pick. I won't be voting for the "honey-tongued" Mike Huckabee or the "straight-talking" John McCain. I won't be voting for any Republican, even if Ron Paul were to pull off the coup of getting the nomination, because I've had enough of the Republicans as they are constituted right now, because they are not healthy for ANY AMERICAN, including the military.

January 4, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  11. Bert

Jack, to your respondents who say the GOP can never win in 08, I say; despite the Democratic majority in the House and Senate, the Reich Wing Neocons are still in controll in Washington AND we still do not have votes with paper trails. Think about those two facts.
    Rudy will receive the GOP nominatiion and will win the election no mater how the people vote and he will continue to wage the false War On Terror at the behest of those who put him in power.

January 4, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  12. Chris

Jack,
    That is a great question. Personally I hope it's Mitt Romney. Their is something that seems Presidential about him. On the Issues to me at else, it seems all candidates are on par with each other. If that is true than the real question is " Which nominee can beat any of the Big Three?" I would think unless the opposition name on the ballot is CLINTON the GOP has no hope.

Jack, I'm a moderate republican, and military veteran. If the GOP doesn't come together as a party, I may vote Democrat. Barack Obama is really beginning to grab my attention I like some of this views on the issues. My only real disagreement is the War. Congratulations, To Obama a great day in American History. I hope I have the chance to make a tough big decision in November

Angry Republican

Chris
    Garden City,MIchigan

January 4, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  13. Ivelisse

Jack:

good question... short answer: the democrats.... 🙂

my husband predicts that McCain will win NH, then Thompson will win SC, with a real toss-up for NV and Fl to Guiliani... so, by the time Feb 5th arrives, NOBODY will have any 'momentum'..... which will make for a very interesting Super Tuesday, with all states up for grasp and the likelyhood that the big states choose different candidates.....and after that....well, you can imagine... 🙂

January 4, 2008 at 3:14 pm |
  14. Ed

I think it's a question of what people believe America's role is in the world today. It seems to be policing the world, mounting 10 trillion of debt, funding Chinese military buildups with trade imbalances and military technology. Answering the beck and call of global organizations. I see a disturbing pattern emerging. I hope the GOP will turn itself around and support a candidate who supports America's best interests, Ron Paul.

January 4, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  15. Gino

I am of "Martin's" opinion.... "WHO CARES" – oh yeah, hard core Republicans care, I forgot, we are supposed to have a two party system and sheep follow the leader... a lot of Americans still follow the "unwritten rule" to vote for everything the Republican party or the Democratic party endorses! Egad, use the grey cells in your brain; think before you jump into a so-called camp, before you vote!

I really don't shive a git about who gets nominated by the so-called Republican party or as a matter of fact the Democratic party, I would like to see someone who is honest, who will not undermine America and its Constitution as is the case now, and maybe I should not write this, because it may look like I am a butt-kisser to Mr. Cafferty, but I will say so anyway, do read Mr. Cafferty's book entitled "It’s Getting Ugly Out There” and use your grey cells before voting in November! And I would also mention for you to read Mr. Dobbs books about how middle class people are being downgraded!

January 4, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  16. Matt

Answer: John McCain

McCain is no George Bush and that's why he will not only get the nomination but win in November. Agree with the war in Iraq or not he is the only one that can win the fight. He has the military and diplomatic experience that is needed to fix Bush's mistakes. It’s not enough for the Democrats or that idiot Ron Paul to say they are going to end the war. McCain will be able to win the war and America will be stronger for it.

Putting partisan politics aside McCain is the only candidate who knows how to conduct the battle against the Islamic extremism. No other candidate Democrat or Republican will be able to go in day one and know exactly what to do to win. Under McCain’s leadership America will once again be the great power we all know it should be.

January 4, 2008 at 3:24 pm |
  17. Terry

Jack
    At this stage its a toss up who will be the republican presidential canidate. It all comes down to that magic word " ELECTABLE " Who can run and win against either Obama, Clinton or Edwards.

January 4, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  18. Scott

simple, john mccain or ron paul

January 4, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  19. David,San Bernardino,CA.

Jack,I honestly don't know. McCain is too old and tired,Romney is as phony as a three-dollar bill,Giuliani has too many skeletons,Thompson's heart isn't in it and people don't like the idea of a trophy wife,Ron Paul is a libertatian unknown and Huckabee is a nice-guy Baptist minister who sometimes doesn't seem to have a clue. The Republican party this time around is like trying to herd cats!

January 4, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  20. W B in Las Vegas

Question: Who ultimately will emerge as the GOP presidential nominee?

Answer: whoever the Wall Street Weasels, Corporate Quislings and NeoCon Nuts that are robbing the American Treasury WANT as the GOP nominee.

oh, and they want Hillary "Same Old, Same Old" Clinton on the Democrate side too. that way it's a LOCK they will not get their gravy train derailed.

January 4, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  21. val

I hope it's not Mitt Romney. He has that 'Tom Cruise' effect around him.
    Does America want this wild eyed guy on the red button?
    Oh, and I don't like his policies.

January 4, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  22. Tom Bulger

Senator McCain.

America is starved for some integrity. Out of all the Republican candidates John McCain is the man with integrity. His problem is that he wants to stay the course when the other thing that America is starving for is change.

January 4, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  23. Patricia

God save us all if John McCain gets the nomination!!! I've watched this man for quite a long while now & I don't think he should be President. I think he still has something in his soul that makes me feel he carries a grudge against the military because of how long he was a POW in Vietnam. I feel like he wants to make sure that every last serviceman or woman gets sent to some war zone & risks dying, whether the cause is worthy of that death. He seems to want to find a way to make sure that they all suffer, just as he did. He hasn't seen a conflict he didn't love, except the 1 where Bill Clinton made a mistake, then he carried on as if he were all knowing & smarter than the General's. Gen. Paul Eaton,(ret.); said it best, Republicans are not good for the military. They have used these men & women up & they & we still have no peace. Shame on you Republicans for even considering John McCain as a candidate as President!!!!

January 4, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  24. Jackie Waldorf

Jack: Obama's historic win means that "Happy Days Are Here Again". I was literally dancing in my family room last night. And, by the way, I'm a 65-year-old woman Republican (totally outside the demographic).

January 4, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  25. John K. In DC

Jack:

I just saw you say on TV that the Obama email response made YOU:

" full of hope & optimism"

I've been watching you for YEARS and I've never seen you anything but full of negativity and pessimism on your show.

I'm as far as you can get from being an Obama fan, but if the fallout fills Jack Cafferty with hope and optimism... I say "Go Barack." Maybe he is on to something here.

Hopefully it will spread to Wolf Blitzer and Lou Dobbs next

John K.
    Washington

January 4, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  26. franck kipo

obama's victory means that he is not a black candidate but he is an american candidate who is campaining for the people and not for lobbists.

January 4, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  27. Dr. Don Quinn

Dear Jack,

The most exciting aspect of an Obama presidency is his choice of VP and cabinet members – it won't be clones of Cheney and Rumsfeld. I suspect Colin Powell might like his job back knowing there will be support for a rational approach to foreign policy. How about Dodd or Biden for VP? Obama, Dodd, Powell – just rolls easily off the tongue!

Excitedly yours,
    Dr. Don Quinn

January 4, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  28. Greg from PA

Senator McCain will win his party's nomination, as he should have back in 2000. I was ashamed to be a Republican back in 2000 when the party turned its back on this true American hero for the likes of a low -life like George W. Bush. Now, with fine candidates like McCain and Huckabee, it's good to be a Republican again.

January 4, 2008 at 4:43 pm |
  29. Troy

With any luck McCain or Paul. They are the only two who want to be president for us. The others just want it for themselves. I agree with Ron Paul on most of the issues especially foreign policy but I also like McCain as a person. They are two men who truly understand that there are real problems in our country beyond stupid things like same sex marriage and abortion. They both want to fix the problems that we face but have different views on how to do it. I wish the other republicans would just get out of the way and let us have an honest and fair debate between McCain and Paul.

January 4, 2008 at 4:45 pm |
  30. Tom Brantley

I hope and pray that Ron Paul will win the nomination.You constantly say you show no bias but I watched your coverage last night and all night long you had the pie chart on the big board showing Huckabee, Romney, Thompson and McCain and no name where Ron Paul stood. All night long he was right there with Thompson and McCain
    ( Within one percent ) But no one who was watching would know that because all that was shown was a big white slice with no name. Meanwhile on the Democratic pie chart right next to it you showed Obama, Edwards , Clinton and Richardson with two percent. At the same time Ron Paul was steady at eleven percent. I must try to find a news orginization who will report elections fairly. I wonder if one exists? CNN showed me that they think that they will tell me who I should vote for. No one watching should know that a presidential candidate ( Ron Paul ) was receiving eleven percent of the vote. So much for the CNN polls.Luckily I have taken it upon myself to research all of the candidates and will vote for the one who is head and shoulders above the rest. I am forty eight years old and remember when the networks let the people decide who should be our next President. I wish more people would pay attention to who is really running our country into the ground. CNN seems to be trying to maintain the status quo.
    Ron Paul

January 4, 2008 at 4:45 pm |
  31. john

The BLOG describes the issue as the GOP demolition derby and in a Freudian way you may be right. The GOP candidates are more like old jalopies than the ones would expect for a Reagan Rally.

January 4, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  32. Robert

Jack,
    I think the fight for the Republican nominee is going to be nothing short of a War. Romney has spent millons and he will try to destroy anyone that gets in his way. John Mcain isn't going to go quitely into the night, he is battle tested and has the organization to last. Look forward to a mud slinging, name calling, swift boating, Republican primary battle. Cantcha wait ?

January 4, 2008 at 4:48 pm |
  33. Robert

Jack,
    Who cares, there all a bunch of "say anything to get elected politicans". I am waiting for an independant to get in the race, until then I am keeping my Television OFF !

Robert
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

January 4, 2008 at 4:51 pm |
  34. Sammye

I doubt that another Hope, Arkansas native can successfully make the trip from Hope to Washington, D.C. (even though he's a Republian)
    Mr. Huckabee may be a very good speaker due to his pulpit experience, but that does not translate into a good leader.
    I am a life long Southern Baptist, but that does not mean that I plan to vote for Mr. Huclabee on Super Tuesday.

January 4, 2008 at 4:57 pm |
  35. Ruby Coria, CA.

Jack, I really think this question is so up in the air, but I would like to see Ruby get it, because I know Ron is out and oh God no!, not Huckaberry! sorry Huckabee! McCain is ok, but no! why go back to playing soldiers we need to move on, Mitt is trying to hard and his stuck. Looks like the Republicans have no one. We have the frist woman or the frist black man or good oo John.

January 4, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  36. Barb Kallaher

What a slap in the face to our troops fighting in the Middle East, that our nation would consider voting a man by the name of Barack HUSSEIN Obama, to be the leader of this nation!!!!!!!

January 4, 2008 at 5:07 pm |
  37. Tom

In my honest opinion, a republican will not be elected president in 2008 so it doesn't matter. I suppose if i had to vote for a republican I'd vote for Ron Paul, but i think Romney...a morman! would be the nominee. Should Huckabee become the nominee, prepare for this democracy to become a theocracy.

January 4, 2008 at 5:12 pm |
  38. Lee

I believe that John McCain will come out victorious in New Hampshire and continue on to win Michigan and South Carolina. He's been riding a wave of success lately with the endrosements and the fall of Romney. He's once again become the "sexy" and logical pick for the Republican party.

January 4, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  39. Eric

Jack,
    Why is it that Hillary doesnt answer Edwards and Obama's attacks, if they say, she voted for the war, why doesnt she own it and respond with, "yes I voted for it and at least I have a record we can talk about". BTW, McCain looks good for the Reblican nom.

January 4, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  40. Robert Prescott

The most likely Republican nominee is certain to be John McCain. Huckabee's base is far too narrow and Romney is far too abrasive for where the country's state of mind is. Rudolph Giuliani messed up his chances big time by avoiding the earliest contests and Fred Thompson looks too tired and disinterested in whether he wins the nomination or not. Conversely, McCain is growing in popularity as the nation begins to focus on the presidential race. He will win New Hampshire which will carry him past the field in South Carolina and beyond.

Robert
    North Port, Florida

January 4, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  41. Andy Beeler

I think Ron Paul SHOULD get the nomination. He seems to represent what conservatism is to me... But ultimately I just have a gut feeling that Huckabee will get the nomination.

January 4, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  42. openslather

Huckabee will be the nominee.

January 4, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  43. Jason Grier

I feel Mike Huckabee WILL turn out to be the GOP nomination. Why? Because I feel that America will soon open it's eyes and realize he seems to be the only one we can trust. The people I talk to about the GOP candidates rule out everyone but Huckabee, Romney, and McCain. They don't seem to like McCain because they don't feel he brings the "change" everyone seems to be asking for, and Romney seems to just be attacking other candidates. I tell people that I have NO idea what Romney stands for, I just know that he doesn't like what everyone else thinks.

I think the time for "attack" ads are gone, and thats why I feel Huckabee will emerge as the winner, he just seems to me as the only likeable guy left in the GOP nomination

January 4, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  44. David C.

Fred Thompson will win.

Conservatism will win.

January 4, 2008 at 5:13 pm |
  45. Doug

I think it's either going to be Mike Huckabee or John McCain, but I think either of those candidates will be dead in the water against Obama in the fall if Obama wins the nomination. Why? McCain is practically dead already and I can see Huckabee acting like George W. Bush with constant boobery, slip-ups, gaffes, and blunders on the campaign trail.

January 4, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  46. Terry Levine

Jack: I didn't think this a month ago, but I'm convinced McCain will emerge as the winner and Huckabee will be his running mate. Romney is done. And Rudy "9/11" Guiliani is too.

January 4, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  47. Jack Daniels

Gomer Pyle.

January 4, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  48. Conor

I honestly believe Ron Paul can win. Take a look at this phatom caucus in Wyoming tomorrow. No one's talking about it, but a group of 3,000 party officials could give Ron Paul a big boost. There's no polls and a win or even second or third place could propel him New Hampshire. Plus, HE HAS THE MOST MONEY! Clearly he has support. He already has enough money for ad campaigns and awareness in most of the Super Tuesday primaries. Thank God Hucakbee won in Iowa because it eliminates Romney. McCaine has no money. Thompson won't win. That makes Giuliani is his biggest opponent and he already beat him.

January 4, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  49. Earl

Jack ,
    John McCain will be the eventual nominee. He has the credentials, has been right about the surge in the Ira

January 4, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  50. Christo Garcia

Ron Paul will win the Republican nomination simply because he is the anti-war candidate, and the country wants out of Iraq. This country is fed up with the Republicans raiding the US treasury to line the pockets of their Military Industrial Complex partners. McCain even said he's willing to stay in Iraq for a 100 years. The funny thing is, at the rate we're going our country will be bankrupt, the the United States will be a quaint memory like the Soviet Union.

January 4, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  51. Jon from Tempe, Az

I think when it is all done on the Republican side John McCain will probably get it. Romney was finished yesterday when he lost to Huckabee. Huckabee does not have enough cash to get much past South Carolina. Guiliania would literally have to lose 5 consecutive states and then do a comeback. I do not think that has ever been done before. Thompson failed last night so he is no longer the choice of the far right Reagan conservatives. McCain is the only one left.

January 4, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  52. Jonathan Nelson

I am hoping it's going to be Ron Paul because he is the only GOP candidate who actually thinks rationally.

January 4, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  53. Cody Watson

Jack, without a doubt it's going to be Ron Paul. Any of the other candidates, if elected, will envoke the terrorism/fear tactic in order to scare up votes to ensure safety and security. Ron Paul is the only one who understands whole-heartedly the war is a mess and the only way to save face is to get out.

January 4, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  54. Victor Sun

Jack,

Now that Iowa is over and Ron Paul has shown himself to be a viable candidate, I think Dr. Paul will win the Republican nomination. He suffers from a severe lack of name recognition; ask anyone who spends less than 1 hour a day on the internet and they will say, "Who?". But now that the first contest is over and Dr. Paul has a chance to make a splash in the second, more people will be asking, "Who is Ron Paul?".

Victor Sun
    Las Vegas, NV

January 4, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  55. Tom McGrath

Doesn't matter. Whoever the GOP nominee is will not be the next president of the United Stetes, even if His name is Jesus Christ.

January 4, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  56. Shelby Morrison

Take the fenders from Guiliani; the grill from Romney, the engine from McCain and the interior from Huckabee and you may have a Republican contender. Otherwise, they're all fragments in the pit for repairs.

January 4, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  57. Mark Keady

While the Democrats are quickly building a consensus of their candidate (Obama), the Republican Party is tearing itself apart trying to decide what the future of the party holds. Until that is established four years from now, McCain will emerge on Tuesday as the one most likely to please most in the party and offer them a chance.

With Romney DOA after New Hampshire, Michigan will give McCain and his new best friend, Mike Huckabee their first heads up battle on January 15th.

January 4, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  58. Brett Hoppe

Ron Paul will be the Republican Presidental nominee. The 10% vote he generated in Iowa masks the true support he has around the country. Prepare for a surprise showing in New Hampshire, a place of far fewer evangelists, followed by a surge right through "super tuesday". The people will be heard.

January 4, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  59. Salvador

I think that there is one candidate on the Republican side that is "surging", and that is John McCain. If Fred Thompson endorses McCain, he will be a strong candidate and probably the eventual nominee.
    The bad news for him is that, by the time we approach the election, the "success" of the surge in Iraq will be revealed as a fiasco on the political side, and he will be weakened by this.
    But in the short term, look out for John McCain.
    Sal
    New Orleans

January 4, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  60. Ben

You make me laugh Jack, the answer is none of them,; they are not qualified enough. Maybe Lou Dobbs should have run he knows better than some of the candidates

January 4, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  61. Stephanie

I think that huckabee will be the presidential candidate for the republican party, but I dont know that it matters who the republican candidate is as long as they go up against obama or clinton in the long run. America just isn't ready for either of these liberal democrats.

January 4, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  62. Greg Copenhaver

That depends on how badly the leaders of the GOP want to win the general election. The only republican that can win against the democrats is Ron Paul. If he were nominated, none of the democrats could reasonably argue against his ideas which are based on reason and logic. The other republican candidates don't have the luxury of logic on their side, as you can see by looking at their ideas and the likely consequences of implementing their ideas. If the GOP isn't willing to nominate Ron Paul (since he's not a CFR member or neocon), then it will likely be Romney. Huckabee's already peaked in Iowa. McCain has some support, but his campaign is pretty much broke. Thompson doesn't even really want to be president. Everyone's forgot about Giuliani, since he's been hanging out in Florida. Hunter's obviously got little support, and will likely drop out. No one talks about Alan Keyes.

January 4, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  63. John Galmiche, Portland

If Romney goes 0-2, he's toast. After a poor finish in SC, a lazy Thompson campaign will endorse McCain. Giuliani can't count on Florida to carry momentum to super Tuesday. This will force the love-fest between Huckabee and McCain to end, and ultimately a reluctant GOP base will forgive McCain's sins and support the man who should have been their nominee in 2000...John McCain.

January 4, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  64. Dale Smith

I'm a registered republican and have been since 1972 after being discharged from the Air Force. I've also voted straight republican every election year since.

This November? Unless it's Chillary, I'm voting democrat for president REGARDLESS of who the republican nominee is. Jack's recent question in the Situation Room is "which republican do you think will win the republican nomination?".

It's moot. None of the republicans running are as qualfied or honest or dedicated as any of the democrats running (with the exception of Clinton).

Next issue.

January 4, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  65. dick hayes

Romney lied in his teeth during his tenure as Guv of Massaschusetts. The nation needs truth. That Nation is not a Christian-Jewish-Islamic religious state. It is the American state and its people are ill served by the conservative/religious Right.
    The Repugnants who have supported an Evil Administration for eight years need a swift kick and a funeral for the whole elephant Party. OBAMA will be our next President and thank God for that. A 72 year old WASP. Dick Hayes

January 4, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  66. Courtney

I believe Ron Paul will be the ultimate winner once all of the caucuses and primaries are completed. He has won the most straw polls, has the most cash available now than any other candidate, and has the most passionate supporters. I am so sure he is gonna win I can feel it and it feels good.

January 4, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  67. Jeff

The only candidate for the republicans that has any viable message for all americans is RON PAUL. And if the republican party has any interest in growing their base with new young voters, they will nominate the only candidate that rivals the democratic frontrunners in amassing funds from the grassroots.

January 4, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  68. Kelley

John McCain

January 4, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  69. Peter L. Sunnyvale, Calif

Ron Paul will. He's the only Republican candidate that is consistently rising in the polls, at a steady pace. We've all seen Ron get 10% of Iowa, beating Giuliani.

January 4, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  70. Gary

Romney is the only candidate that gives me hope for the future of the U.S. He's conservative, a successful governor and successful businessman, proven manager of transition and is personally committed to the electoral process, as witnessed by his financial contribution to his campaign. It makes me feel good to consider the potential of a dedicated family man with a sound spiritual grounding as our next president.

January 4, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  71. Tim

I think McCain will win New Hampshire, and Thompson and Romney will drop out – leaving McCain, Huckabee, Guiliani and Paul in the race. The number one issue on the Republican side being illegal immigration will leave Republicans with the lacklustre choice of John "Amnesty" McCain, Rudy "Sanctuary City" Giuliani, and Mike "Sanctuary State" Huckabee – and Ron Paul. The lack of any other candidate who will address the number one issue will lead Republicans to nominate Ron Paul.

January 4, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  72. Suanne in Boulder

If the media would give him anything near fair/equal coverage, I believe Ron Paul would win in a landslide. Why is CNN still censoring him? Why was he not included on the pie chart last night with his 10% while Richardson was squeezed in on the Democrat chart with a mere 2%? Ron Paul is the only viable candidate who represents a true change in the status-quo in Washington. He is the only one who will end the wars. Could this be the reason he is ignored and ridiculed by the corporate-controlled media, since the wars bring massive profits and a large audience to the mainstream news networks? If so, it is a disgrace!

January 4, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  73. Peter

Thompson is full of bull.........Huckabee is a breath of fresh air....Prettyboy Romney??? McCain would do a good job but will not be around come November...My vote will go to Mr. Obama or Mrs. Clinton depending on which one makes it all the way.............

January 4, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  74. katherine antinoro

If not Ron Paul, does it really matter? All the rest are all the same.

January 4, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  75. Rick Wilson

Jack.

I am so sick of people believing the terror-hype. If we really wanted to secure our borders, our military would be based at all of our ports and the Canada and Mexico borders. Killing millions of Iraqis and Afghans is "securing" our safety?

Bring our troops home now! Vote for Ron Paul and do some research please.

January 4, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  76. Matt from Massachusetts

Jack –
    Ron Paul is on an upward trajectory that can and will make him the eventual GOP Presidential nominee. His 10 percent showing in Iowa was an incredible acheivement, squashing the once national front runner Guiliani and putitng him just a few points behind McCain and Thompson for third place. The real test, however, will be his showing in the New Hampshire primary; surpassing Romney or McCain in the "live free or die state" will be further evidence that his chances of being the next President may have been severely underestimated on every major media program, except the Cafferty File.

January 4, 2008 at 5:20 pm |
  77. Lois Karel

If we wish to end this country's rapid march towards fascism, change our geopolitical policy to one of defense and not empire-building, end torture & stop spying on our citizenry, end the illegal wars in Iraq & Afghanistan, and restore fiscal responsibility to government, Ron Paul is the only viable GOP candidate.

January 4, 2008 at 5:20 pm |
  78. MARY POTRATZ

AS A SENIOR CITIZEN, THIS E-MAIL STUFF IS NEW TO ME. MAY HAVE SENT MY RESPONSE TO THE WRONG CNN ADDRESS: SO HERE IT IS:

RON PAUL

January 4, 2008 at 5:20 pm |
  79. Michael Mahaney

Mr. Cafferty,

I fully believe that there has never been a better time for real change in the country I love and the party I love. If more people tuned out of the other 24 hour news networks and into the Situation Room they might have noticed our amazing friend of the Constitution, Ron Paul. This is a new age of information, the Internet CAN support a candidate and hopefully this revolution will prove that the people, not the privileged few, can make a difference. Ron Paul is the Harbinger of change.

January 4, 2008 at 5:20 pm |
  80. Henry

It will be the one that never accepted free junkets, won't accept a congressional pension, and believes that the constitution is not an irrelevent piece of parchment, that is getting tossed away like yesterdays newspaper.

Hmm, that's a tough question Jack!!

Henry
    Jacksonville, FL

January 4, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  81. Earl

Jack,
    John McCain will be the eventual nominee. He has the credentials, the foreign policy experience, and has been right about the surge in Iraq for 4 years. He's proven he has what it takes to work with Democrats, end the partisan wars in Washington, and maybe get something done for a change...

January 4, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  82. Britney

Of course I have no idea who it will be, but I want to say that it should be Huckabee. He may not be perfect, but he's genuine. There wont be any major surprises or disappointments with him as I fear there would be with others who are making such an effort to buy good publicity and conform to whatever is needed to win the vote. I am reassured by Huckabee's strong message and character, and most importantly by his desire to serve the American people. None of the candidates are ready to walk into office right now and be the perfect president, but I think Huckabee can rise to the challenge if he is given the chance.

January 4, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  83. Jungledave

My money is on Romney. He's phony, capable of taking dishonesty to the Bush level, and a supporter of helping the rich while waging endless war with the support of fundamentalist hatemongers . Really, what more could Republicans want?

January 4, 2008 at 5:22 pm |
  84. Dave, Chicago

Ron Paul. He's the only one that makes sense on the war, taxes, and personal freedom.

January 4, 2008 at 5:23 pm |
  85. KC

Who in the world can figure it out? I hoped Thompson or McCain would do better than they did – they are better candidates when you look past their boring persona.

I'm not crazy about Romney because he doesn't even know what it takes for small businesses to survive and has always had a silver spoon – we have a current president that was that way and we were burned.
    As far as Huckabee ... I'm still trying to figure out if he can step out of the Evangelical box toward the true republican ideal of economic conservativism. If it did anything – I (and many others I assume) at least have now checked him out. It appears he did really well at bringing Arkansas's educational system from the bottom of the barrel. This I think is a very important issue that most of these guys don't talk about – education is a foundation stone to stop the cycle of poverty.

As an independent that has voted consistently republican – I'm waiting to see. If I start seeing a lot of negative campaigning – I'll turn them off.

January 4, 2008 at 5:23 pm |
  86. Andrew

Jack,

If approx. 70% of the American people want to get out of Iraq and in November 2006 the American people sent a message that they were not happy with the Iraq war...How on earth can the republicans out there think they can win the general election with a Pro-War candidate?

If they were smart enough, they would be voting for Ron Paul 100%.

Hmmmm...I guess that explains the Bush vote.

January 4, 2008 at 5:23 pm |
  87. Justin Johnson

There is only one man in this bunch that is qualified, and that is Ron Paul. He reminds me of the words of our first president. He said to guard our bordors and stay out of other countries business.

January 4, 2008 at 5:23 pm |
  88. Tom Kelley

Ron Paul will win NH and Nevada, California and the rest will fall in line.

Romney and the Huck have no chance in other states. The South will not vote for a Mormon and the West will not vote for a Southern Babtist.

January 4, 2008 at 5:23 pm |
  89. J. Weider

Mike Huckabee seems to identify most with the religous wackos who control the GOP.
    I think they have all pretty much figured out Romneys flip-flopping, double talk.
    Mccain still hasn't figured out that his success in the 2000 primarys came from Democrats like me who didn't actually like him, but who had George W. Bush figured out as a lying, war mongering, thief from day one.
    I don't think it really matters who they pick though, Republicans are going to lose big this year anyway.

January 4, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  90. Chris

Jack,

Does it really matter Jack? After watching 12 hours of coverage by the best political team on TV their is one thing that is evident. The Democrats seem to really be able to turn the vote again. The excitement that is stirred up through the Democratic Nominees shows me that whoever it maybe, the republicans may not have a chance anyway.
    As a Moderate Republican, I'm tired certain candidates attitudes towards each other not concentrating on the issues. Rudy, is the smartest allowing McCain and Huckabee blast Romney while he waiting in the weeds will it work I hope not. This shows me that Romney may be the biggest threat.
    If the party doesn't start concentrating on the issues, instead of each other. I will tune them out then off. Mitt Romney is my choice. My second choice is Barack Obama. This country needs change and If my party doesn't want to do it than " I Will" I'm tired of the negative campaigning stick to the issues( even you Mitt). Otherwise, I promise you this " I will become Fired up and Ready to go" One last thing I was once a avid watcher of Fox News, I never miss the " Situation Room" and I no longer watch Fox News.

Christopher
    Michigan

January 4, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  91. Ben

I feel that Ron Paul will get the nomination. Huckabee is evangelical, but he has already started to run out of steam. Other than that, Romney, Giuliani, and McCain all have dubious pasts where they have not been 100% faithful in marriage, and many Republicans look to that. Ron Paul has slowly but surely risen in the polls, and hasn't had problems with supporters leaving him as the other candidates have had over the past year.

January 4, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  92. Brian

It doesn't really matter which one wins the Republican nomination because none of them can win with their current stance on the war in Iraq. Wanting to continue an unpopular war will kill any possibility for any of the main stream GOP candidates. The idea of preemptive wars is an indication of a fascist regime which is currently at its worst and the people of the United States of America do not want any more of it. There is only one man who might possibly win the General election in November. Unfortunately he's being ignored by his own partys Right wing media, aka FOX and ignored by the Left wing media namely CNN. If the GOP can't see this then they must be totally blind. The winner is Ron Paul.

January 4, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  93. Rich, Texas

Rudy Giuliani will be the nominee for the GOP. He is the only one running that has never held a political office higher then Mayor. The rest have bilked the government for years doing little if anything of worth. John McCain has spent most of his political career running for president and never winning because not more then 25 percent of the people ever wanted him. Thompson has visited many countries as a guest but not as anything else. He knows nothing of foreign affairs he is an actor and he ain't no Ronald Regan he isn't even a Mr. Magoo for that matter. That leaves no other choice but Giuliani and it will be a good one unless you want Canada's public failure of health care which is what the Democrats are proposing as a solution to our health care problems. Take a look at Canada's program so you will see what is coming if you elect one of them. Canadians come to the States to get emergency medical treatment because the waiting list for an MRI is 6 months.

January 4, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  94. Hal Medlin

Giuliani's strategy was laid out before Huckabee's surge I believe. If Huckabee wins New Hampshire, then Rudy should get a condo in Florida and just stay.

January 4, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  95. Brian B

Jack: The nomination will go to Thompson. Out of the whole Republican field he has stands for everything that the Republicans have stood for for the past few decades. He is for low taxes, he is strong on immigration reform, he is for a strong military, he is pro-life, he has foreign policy experience and he is against our entitlement state. You can pick the whole field appart and find people that fulfills a few of the party planks but only one hits them all. That person is Thompson.

The problem is that he is having trouble informing the population of this fact but he may pull it out.

January 4, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  96. Jason Copenhaver

It's still too early to tell who will get the nomination. The process is easily manipulated so anyone can come ahead. Why did Huckabee win Iowa with practically no money raised? News media basically made him their posterboy. If they all had equal coverage, you could bet with Ron Paul's motivated grassroots base, he would surprise everyone and come out on top.

January 4, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  97. Peggy Caldera

I am puzzeled that Americans would vote for someone that did not salute the flag of the United States of America in one of the news reels and is running for the president of the U.S. . Obama. Peggy

January 4, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  98. Jon from Washington, D.C.

The candidate that will win is the one whose message is consistent, clear and powerful. Jack, Ron Paul will be the Republican's ultimate nominee. Once his message is released, nothing will stop him. Not even Romney's gauntlet.

January 4, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  99. Aldo

There is only one candidate that has all the qualities to be the next President of the USA and that will be able to defeat any Democratic Presidential candidate and that's Mitt Romney, he is not only the best choice but also the most experience and that's what Americans really want. Now that Iowa is over and that the "evangelicals" cast(wasted) their vote the real fight is starting and we are about to see Romney finally win the "Gold".

January 4, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  100. Nicholas Wozniak

I think Ron Paul will ultimately emerge as the Republican candidate. This country has been in such terrible shape politically for so many years now, that the time is right for new, clean, fresh thinking. And when you look at what all the candidates stand for, then to me, Rob Paul's viewpoints are the sanest. He's going to take America back to the foundation on which this great country was created. A return to the Constitution, reduced government, responsible fiscal policy, no longer the world's policemen – all great things. And then, of course, do YOU really WANT to pay taxes? No, of course not, it's unconstitutional, it's time for personal income tax to come to an end. Think how much better we all could live! It's time for a sane intelligent caring president!

January 4, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  101. Rebecca

Jack, I would think that the man running a campaign of liberty, prosperity and peace would get the nomination. Peace and liberty is the essence of America and what has made this country great. We are losing our liberty, our prosperity and our country is at war. The people say they want change. So I guess they will be voting American and for Ron Paul.

January 4, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  102. A V Rabinowitz, Pacific Palisades, CA

Wow Jack, Has CNN management has finally let you out of the cage and permitted you to stand next to the Wolfman? Management must be out-of-town and a low level producer asked you to come on the set. Great! Hopefully, management will continue this practice when you're asked to come to D.C. or Atlanta. You make the program and CNN! Senior management at CNN doesn't get how valuable you are. Maybe, someone within the senior leadershp team at TW headquarters made a call down to Atlanta and asked the hard question, "Why are we hiding Jack?" I would.

As for the nomination, we need to watch Giuliani's strategy of campaigning in the larger electoral-rich states. Will this startegy work? With the compressed schedule up until Super-Duper Tuesday on February 5 and the huge amount of money needed for each of the big states, I believe whatever the outcome of the New Hampshire, Michigan and South Carolina primaries and if Giuliani doesn't have some sort of dark news hit his campaign, he will be the nominee.

However, his nomination will initially many on the relgious right, but I expect they and other moderate Republicans (such as myself) and independents will vot for him in the general election. A lot of time between February Super Duper Tuesday and the November general election to beat each other over the issues and fill up their coffers with cash to meet the expenses of the campaign.

A V Rabinowitz
    Pacific Palisades, CA

January 4, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  103. jim

If Huckabee gets the nod for the GOP, I propose that the U.S. be divided up into two parts. The Huckabee part which will be made up of mostly southern states, or any state that has a majority of evanjelics, or baptists and want him to be their leader. This would be mostly farms, plantations and large expanses of desert. (That way they can all meet on sundays and pray for rain). The second part led by Obama, who would be the real 'president' of mostly northern, Innovative & progressive states, including California, the north west coast, and most of the east coast (except for Florida which will be under water in the event of Global warming). The Obama part would be the good part, where people can grow and prosper, have universal health care, job opportunities, and lifestyle alternatives. The Huckabee part would be where people live in fear of gays, equal rights, 'bad terrorists' and alien (Mostly Mexican) invaders.
    I fear all the GOP candidates , but Huckabee....gets the cake?

January 4, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  104. Lori

Jack,

Fred Thompson, the only TRUE Conservative in this race will ultimately be the nominee of the republican party. He has a very strong base of support and despite the ignorance of the MSM, he will catch fire and he will go the distance. More and more I see people taking the time to review Fred's positions on the issues and seeing that he has comprehensive PLANS on immigration, social security, education and other issues that concern true conservatives. Once people stop eating up the lines that MSM is feeding them about "fire in the belly", etc., they are seeing that Fred Thompson is the only candidate who can win in November.

January 4, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  105. Maria

Dear Jack,
    Although there are many likable candidates running on both Republican and Democratic sides, they all seem to be making many promises that will never be met. So the question for me comes down to who I believe will keep their promises. To me that person is Congressman Ron Paul. Looking at his consistent voting record it is clear that he is guided by the principles that has made the United States great. He will restore our integrity and protect our liberties as well as keep us safe and allow for more prosperity. I believe he actually has the courage to bring our troops home from Iraq and around the world.
    Maria

January 4, 2008 at 5:36 pm |
  106. Elizabeth Donald

Hopefully, the newly invigorated competition in the GOP will mean that the most competent candidate will win out in the Primaries. Both democrats and republicans are fed up with this demoralizing status-quo. As a democrat, I'm thrilled about Obama's victory in Iowa! But if I must live through another 4 years of the GOP, I hope the candidate with the most experience and integrity wins. I could scarcely stomach another bad-news president, democrat or republican.

Elizabeth in Mountain View

January 4, 2008 at 5:36 pm |
  107. Nick

Chuck Norris.

January 4, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  108. phill tejada

Who cares? If this country elects a Repub, I'm moving to Costa Rica.

January 4, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  109. Hank

John McCain has the skills to win the nomination and he will do an excellent job in office. In his first term he will be able to fix the problems and mistakes made by Clinton and Bush.

January 4, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  110. Dale Legan

I hope Ron Paul. I've voted Republican for over 16 years. If not Ron Paul I will do everything in my power to defeat the Republicans on all levels of government.

I hope they go the way of the Whig party.. They are a bunch of traitors..

January 4, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  111. Kory

Jack, Iowa has renewed my belief that Ron Paul will win this nomination. According to entrance polls, over 70% of Iowan Republicans are "satisfied" or even "enthusiastic" with Bush's performance. Meanwhile, those same polls show that a majority of Paul supporters characterized themselves as "Angry" with this administration. Despite this, Paul managed to finish a mere 3% from third-place with double-digit support. That's encouraging. I daresay I expect Ron Paul to do no worse than second in New Hampshire.

January 4, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  112. Parker

I believe that Ron Paul will win the Republican nomination. Ron Paul has realized the dire situation that our country is in and he has the experience and track record to back his sincerity and belief in unwavering principles anchored in our constitution. Plus he has such a huge support on the internet and so many contributors I don't see how he can't win!

January 4, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  113. David Helton

Social Security has been used by Presidents for funding things outside of Social Security. It was determined that SS was an government guaranteed retirement account. If SS is having problems has any sit down to calculate the interest on the funds under Presidential Discretion. It wouldn't be going bankrupt in 2010.

Ron Paul is a force, which Fox News doesn't want heard. If Republicans want a chance for the White House, Ron Paul is the chance. Getting back to the Constitution is the change Americans want.

January 4, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  114. Jerry Wilson

Surprise, surprise, surprise,The Iowa Bushies, "AKA", Evangelical Christians, choose a preacher, However Jiuliani is their only hope for holding onto the White House. Rudy is pro women's rights, and believes in the seperation of church, and state. Heck, he even supports gay marriage, gun controls, and the constitution. Heck, he could be a democrat.

Jerry Wilson

January 4, 2008 at 5:43 pm |
  115. Evan

Although no one seems to want it, I bet Romney comes out of the fray, hair intact.

Oh, and Cafferty your ode to Obama speech earlier made me blush. Could we all please remember this was just one state, and save our Obama love letters until Valentine's Day? Or at least Super Tuesday...

January 4, 2008 at 5:43 pm |
  116. Chris from California

John McCain. He has the least "nut-job factor" and is therefore the safest candidate for the Republicans. He's not an evangelical like Huckabee, and not too much loose cannon potential and not too much baggage like Rudy. He is also very beatable because, especially compared to Obama, he is old and out of touch (think supporting Iraq war).

January 4, 2008 at 5:44 pm |
  117. Coop

I only wish I could be there to see her fellow NRO nitwits trying to talk Pathetic Peggy Noonan in off the ledge as her boy Mitt has been unmasked as Steve Forbes – The next degeneration and the gops are left with a choice between McCain and Huck Finished as their standard bearer as the sun sets on the last of the bush league dynasty.

It's win-win for the American People.

January 4, 2008 at 5:45 pm |
  118. Matthew

Each Republican has his own strengths that's why the party has yet to rally behind a single candidate. Huckabee= change, Romney= economics, Giulini= administartion and organization. John McCain has all these abilities. He is an honest man who has experiance in government. He has the utmost respect for the army and will allow the generals to come up with the best military plan. He will be able to work with the military to ensure the success of that plan and work on rebuilding Iraq. Through McCain's leadership, America will be victorious in Iraq, which will allow the soldiers to come home.

January 4, 2008 at 5:46 pm |
  119. Luke from Baltimore, Maryland

Jack, do you remember back in 2000 when John McCain got 5% in Iowa and then won first place in New Hampshire with 49%? Well that was back when McCain was the only option on the shelf. Now there's Ron Paul. Tuesday's New Hampshire primary will be the beginning of a possible Paul nomination.

January 4, 2008 at 5:46 pm |
  120. Mike

I agree with Patricia, McCain would be the best candidate for the Republicans. He has the military experiance to win the war in Iraq. The surge, which he helped formulate, clearly is working.

January 4, 2008 at 5:50 pm |
  121. Luke from Baltimore, Maryland

While I may not be one of them, it is clear who has the most passionate supporters: Ron Paul. If he gets the nomination, the 2008 matchup will be about Passion vs. Change.

January 4, 2008 at 5:51 pm |
  122. Fives Fivenson

Jack,
    I hope it will be Ron Paul. He's the only GOP candidate that's right on the major issues, and has the honesty and integrity to deliver on his positions. The rest are demagogues, panderers, and outright liars.

Ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, bringing home our troops from around the world, ending the wasteful War on Drugs and the IRS. Sounds good to me!

January 4, 2008 at 5:51 pm |
  123. Jeff Martin

Hello Jack,

If a good percentage of the American people could think for themselves and not get all of there opinion's and thoughts fed to them from the Television screen . RON PAUL Would surely be the next President.

I am a US MARINE , a Christian and I COMPLETELY Support Ron Paul as would MILLIONS more if the only knew ! If America dosen't wake up and subscribe to what the good DR is ordering ...we will be making a HUGE Mistake. I personally thank you Jack for you do seem to throw his name out there when you can.

Jeff Martin

SEMPER FI!!!!

January 4, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  124. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I'm a democrat, but I will say Ron Paul will emerge as the GOP candidate.

January 4, 2008 at 5:57 pm |
  125. Mike Meador

Rudy 911 and Bomb-bomb-bomb McCain will regularly slander and promise to out shoot each other in their respective slash and burn campaigns. Opie Huckabee and Mormon Mittie will match revelations from God and try to out sweet talk their way to victory. When he's awake, Law and Order Fred will star in a remake of "Bozo the Clown Goes to Washington, D.C." in an attempt to prove he is a reincarnation of Ronald Reagan and thus "the only true conservative in the field." Dr. Ron Paul will continue to make reasonable statements, raise huge sums of money via internet donations, and be ignored by the mass media. The eventual candidate? Mayor Bloomberg of New York City will spend a billion or so of his personal dollars and simply buy the Republican nomination that is always for sale to the highest bidder.

January 4, 2008 at 6:02 pm |
  126. Karen

Ron Paul can win, if he gets more exposure. I'm voting for him even if it's a write in next November. Because life works better when I do what I truly believe in.

January 4, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  127. Fred Gaskin

No comment about your question–just a congratulations for writing a fun book that "talks" the way you would like to on TV. And congratulations on your comments in the Epilogue about Obama. You nailed it.

January 4, 2008 at 6:10 pm |
  128. David Brodeur

New Hampshire has the motto "Live Free or Die". Everyone knows you can't live free!

January 4, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  129. Rich

Jack you had a big pie chart and left out his Ron Paul with 11 % even though on the dem side you showed names with 2% You are no different than fox or msnbc
    You run propaganda just like them. If anyone reads this it should clearly tell you that they do not run the name because he might win and start stealing corporations money instead of all of ours to fuel their wars and remove our freedom to the point we are nothing more than slaves giveing 50 % of our hard earned labor. When propaganda is this obvisous on public tv all day long this isnt
    The United States of America anymore and you Jack are no different than the other
    communist on fox or msnbc because you see it but never do or say anything about it.

January 4, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  130. Morris

As an experienced, staunch Republican I am impressed with the goodness, forthrightness and honesty of Huckabee. However, I am reminded of another "good" man governor who became one of our worst presidents, President Carter. If all we want is a good man, Huckabee is the one. If we need someone who can lead, change and achieve, we must look elsewhere!

January 4, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  131. James Crawmer

if i remember correctly Hillery made the comment that any one that came in 3rd in
    the Iowa caucus should drop out of the running does that still stand ?

thank you . Jim

January 4, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  132. Jim

FRED THOMPSON ALL THE WAY!

The Huckster's a phoney, McCain is too old and Romney is a little too shifty.

Guiliani will not make it in the South

January 4, 2008 at 6:20 pm |
  133. P S in Atlanta

The stubborn republicans that refuse to abandon the way of the Bush administration will vote for McCaine. The more reasonable republicans will vote for Huckabee. The intelligent republicans will realize they've been hosed for many years, will change parties, and vote for Obama.

Paul

January 4, 2008 at 6:23 pm |
  134. Eric

I think McCain will. He's speeding up. I think Gov. Huckabee is a good natured person but he might not last. People also think Romney is a waste of time like current president Bush.

January 4, 2008 at 6:30 pm |
  135. Jan Villarreal

I am sick of seeing Huckabee playing his guitar and telling jokes on the news stations. We do not need another inexperienced "joke" of a man in the white house! Have we not learned ? It is time for a strong leader who understands how Washington works and what is needed to get things done. Remember...the president must also be able to co-work with congress and senate to get things done. This takes experience! Our future depends on it!!!!

January 4, 2008 at 6:33 pm |
  136. John

Fred Thompson wins easily.

January 4, 2008 at 6:42 pm |
  137. Hoss

I think Fred Thompson will be the next President of the U.S. and I don't think America can afford for that not to happen. Conservatism works and Fred is the only true conservative in the race with a consistent, principled record. It generated a couple of landslides for Reagan in the 80's and when people hear the substance of Fred's message and his highly detailed policy proposals that will resound with them and they will see their only clear choice. Fred will achieve his first victory in South Carolina.

Mike Huckabee has nice quips but no substance. It was said by someone that where ever you scratch him he is only an inch thick. His foreign policy experience and knowledge are dismal. The Cato Institute rated him the third worst governor in the U.S. based on his conservatism. He was worse than the majority of Democrat governors. His record as a big government, high taxing, illegal immigrant friendly governor is the polar opposite of what the core of the Republican party espouses. He has been playing a lot of games by having his supporters make recorded attack calls and by showing the media an ad that he changed his mind on knowing full well it would get played by them, and for free to boot. He does all these things and then claims to be innocent and naive. He is calculating and manipulative and a large number of those who hastily joined his band wagon are going back to Thompson; the one that brung them. They are doing that because, while it is nice that Huck professes to be a Christian, his record does not bear up to the scrutiny of a man who stands on principle. As a Christian myself, I also resent someone playing identity politics with their faith. It is as though he creating the impression that, because he is a professing Christian, Jesus endorses him and that alone makes him qualified to run the country. As I said, I am a Christian, and I don't feel I am qualified to be the President of the United States.

January 4, 2008 at 7:28 pm |
  138. Wesley

For those of you who say McCain is a great man and the best for the job I have a bumper sticker that says it all as to why he will never get the nod:

"Remember Amnesty? Then Forget McCain"

Regardless of his war record he is a big government turncoat and has little regard for the value of U.S. citizenship.

January 4, 2008 at 7:38 pm |
  139. Carlton Colquitt

Reading these comments, one thing is clear: people are angry. This is because they are ashamed of themselves and want to blame things on someone else. We sat on our hands while Sandra Day O'Connor, eager to get home to her husband who has alzheimer's, anointed W as president. We trembled with fear as W exploited our willful ignorance of the facts, and we lazily and with matching mendacity and cynicism bought his lies. Eagerlly, I might add. I live in New York City. Apparently this is the only place in the country that has recovered from 9/11. Ironic, to say the least. This is a complicated problem that has a primary solution: education. In this country, we've gotten by on brute strength so far. To survive now we must grow up, learn the facts, and behave as a responsible nation. We may not make the transition in time. One unannounced candidate, Mike Bloomberg, may well take his own life in his hands and offer for the job of president. If he does, I will vote for him. If he doesn't I will be relieved for his sake and disappointed for the sake of the country. We do not reward intelligence in politics in this country. We reward vagueness and opportunism and cynicism and lying. And then we complain because we don't like the results. The fact is that there are enough disaffected voters who could carry any election. They would finally vote if they were convinced that there was a reasonable chance they would not be betrayed. Mike always keeps his word. His political skills are remarkable. He is a decent man who has not yet been blooded in the viciousness that his candidacy would unleash: a murderous, surely violently dangerous venture for him. People could well die in such a conflict, because we love our guns and fire them off with no provocation. The candidacy of such decency, intelligence, and general enlightenment may well be like new wine in old bottles: the bottles themselves could break. I don't think I am being melodramatic here. I'm trying to be realistic. As a nation, we are belligerently proud of our ignorance, particularly in the southern quadrent. The white trash of the Old South is now just a group of country club Republicans: every "murrikan's" dream. We do have some young people who are idealistic because they are also ignorant. Mike would not betray that naivete. I wonder if they would respond to intelligence, creativity, and genuine leadership. The answer to that could tell the difference, along with independents' response to Mike. But our apples don't fall far from the tree. And the "murrikan peepul," as the politicians like to call us, have been asleep for a long, long time.

January 4, 2008 at 7:56 pm |
  140. Jerry

Fred Thompson will be the GOP nominee and the next President. Thompson will win SC and most southern states. He is the only candidate that will talk straight to the people. Huckster panders to much to just get the vote. For example, I won't run a negative ad. Then we here his advisor's comments that their going negative in SC. Fred is not trying to win over your vote by putting up a fake identity. Fred is the same today as he will be tomorrow. He is consistent. He also has some a good immigration policy, which came out before the Huggers.

Go to Fred08.com and check it out!

January 4, 2008 at 8:44 pm |
  141. Benton Nelson, Indianapolis, IN

As long as Rudy doesn't get the GOP nomination this country will be alright. My question to Rudy is, if 9/11 never happened would you still be running for president. The American people need to step back and look at him as if 9/11 never happened. I don't see him ever getting in the White House. I think we just might have 2 Presidential Libraries in Arkansas. Now where it will be for another Clinton or for Huckabee time will tell.

January 4, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  142. Suanne in Boulder

Dr. Paul is the only voice of reason in this circus. He is the only one who can beat CFR (Council on Foreign Relations) puppets Hillary +/or Obama. He is, in fact, the only viable candidate who is not a member of that organization. The others are starting to steal his platform because it is so popular, but he is the only one who is sincere about really doing any of it. The rest are controlled by the Military Industrial Complex and will never vote to end the illegal wars, only to start more wars for profit.
    I saw a bumper sticker the other night that says:
    'There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people' – Howard Zinn
    I have also frequently seen one that says:
    "When fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis
    Americans need to wake up and see what is being done to our country in the obscene quest for corporate profit. Ron Paul is the only one who will fight for ordinary Americans against the corporatism/fascism which is swiftly descending upon us. He is the only one who will undo the terrible damage done by the abominable current administration. He is the only one who can save America.

January 5, 2008 at 3:07 am |
  143. Michael Will

Fred Dalton Thompson is the man for the job, period.

heard Huckabee claimed on Hannity today that he has a plan on Immigration and was the first to have it? Is that true? FDT would take objection with that for sure...

January 5, 2008 at 4:06 am |
  144. mark

I dont really give a spit who wins. Within a year I'm out of here......new country, new citizenship.

Power, greed, sleeze, evangelical hypocrisy, prejuciced news reporting, destruction of the environment, lies, say anthing to get a vote...politicians, and a populaace that allows itself to led around by them all.

I'm spending my remaing years away from this rubbage heap that America has become. Enjoy.

January 5, 2008 at 12:45 pm |
  145. Stephen From Wilmington,NC

Hi Jack, I some-what like Huckabee but I don't think I can support him because of his immigration views. I feel that the illegal immigration issue is the most improtant problem we have in America today. I live in a state that has a lot of illegals in it and our state government dosen't seem too concerned. Hopefully we will elect a new governer that will change that and hopefully America will elect a President that will do the same. I will be supporting Duncan Hunter if he is still in the race by the time we in North Caroline get to vote. By the way, I support a national primary voting day. The system we have now isn't fair for nearly half of the country because my canidate may not even be in the contest by the time I get to vote.

January 5, 2008 at 1:32 pm |
  146. Mike Hagan

I think Ron Paul is the man to watch. He has without question generated the most excitement of any candidate democrat or republican. He is the only candidate to consistantly grow in polls and answer his doubter with remarkable gains. He set the all time American fund raising record for a single day and this is just the primaries. Its simple his message of Freedom, Peace and Prosperity is the best. And it sells itself the most people who hear and think about what he is saying the more his support will continue to rise. Some these "front runners", perhaps better said "old faces" McCain, Huckabee, Rudy have peaked already. Americans are sick and tired of the way things have been. All the GOP candidates offer the same of old warmed over mess as Bush. That is except for Ron Paul. He is what this country needs. He has the momentum after Iowa to keep charging ahead.

January 5, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  147. Mickey1

People keep asking Ron Paul why he is so big on the internets and his pole numbers are low. Well I think it is because people that really use the internet to get information are active and searching for the truth. We don't need no stinkin' news rooms "to give it to us";) Many news rooms are actively trying to hide the truth. Fox and ABC want to control the information. Dennis and Ron should be heard. So please donate to these two patriots so they can get their messages out to the American people. Please also send an email to Sen. Chris Dodd and thank him for his work defending the Constitution. He might need some reading material soon. Wouldn't you just love to get your opinion into the Congressional record.

January 6, 2008 at 4:48 am |
  148. Chris LeDrew

Ok-Mike Huckabee–isn't this the guy that sent congrats to Canada a few years back on their capitol bldg "National Igloo"?

See the video links below

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8tVbH5NfvQ&w=640&h=360]

Come on Americans-get a president that actually knows the world and not another George Bush!

Sent from another astonished Canadian looking in on US politics.

January 6, 2008 at 6:36 am |
  149. Elvis

In the ABC New hampshire debate, Giuliani said: "We should increase the size of our military.... [by] 25 – 30 percent... If I'm president I'll do it immediately."

So, Giuliani wants to substantially increase size of military, huh?

How much will Giuliani raise taxes to pay for this?

How much more money will Giuliani borrow from the Chinese to pay for this?

How much more money will Giuliani have printed out of thin air to pay for this?

The truth is, he can't pay for it, can't stem the tide of rising debt, can't do any of this without making our financial problems even worse. Any claim to the contrary (supply-side, trickle down) is nothing but disengenuous spin.

The U.S. already spends well over $600 billion per year on defense & military operations (including all supplemental appropriations, FY2007 is almost $700 billion), much more than the rest of the world combined.
    Why do we need to spend even more to combat a few thousand radical jihadists, who have no conventional military? Why don't we deal with them in the way provided for in the constitution: Marque & Reprisal?

The US already spends over half a trillion dollars more than than it takes in each year. Aside from Social Security & Medicare, the federal government takes in $1.65 Trillion, but spends over a half-trillion more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_federal_budget,_2007

Fiscal Year Date Federal Debt Debt increase

FY2006 9/29/2006 $8,507 Billion $574
    FY2007 10/2/2006 $8,548 Billion $578

FY2007 9/28/2007 $9,008 Billion $501
    FY2008 10/1/2007 $9,063 Billion $514

January 6, 2008 at 7:26 am |
  150. Elvis

Romney also said he agreed that military should be increased, at about 2:37 into the second segment.

Maybe they will be happy if we spend double what the rest of the world combined spends?

If this is what it takes to eliminate a few thousand terrorists, we better be damn glad we don't face a real enemy, one of anything like comparable size or population.

January 6, 2008 at 8:25 am |
  151. Michael St. Germain

Ron Paul will win if you and your corporate media buddies do not censor our message of hope and change in the republican party and in America. I have found your show to be the most fair out of all the corporate media shows. Please allow the paulites message to shine on your show.

January 6, 2008 at 10:03 am |
  152. Michael St. Germain

Jack,

Please do not censure the Paulites, you operate the cleanest show on the corporate media networks. Do not tarnish your image or ours!!

January 6, 2008 at 10:05 am |
  153. Ron Ballard

"I'll Be your Huckleberrry" will probably be the campaign slogan for the Republican Party presidential candidate for 2008. However, Bush's alter-ego, "Mini-me Mc Cain" could slip by "I'm to sexy for my shirt Romney", and luck out. Guiliani and the rest are still trying to find the "Yellow Brick Road" to the presidency.

January 6, 2008 at 12:09 pm |
  154. Chuck OH

Jack; I don't care who gets "appointed." Let's be realistic!...ANY of the Disney Characters could have run, & been "appointed,".....oh!..excuse me, "elected," and I don't see how we could have fared any worse than we have with the "welfare for the wealthy" administration that we've had for the past 7+ years. Clinton lied about having an affair in the White House with a republican-hooker.....(I can understand this)...I don't believe anyone died from HIS deed. Things certainly weren't perfect....but we weren't experiencing anything near what we are now.
    MONEY and POWER can "buy" an ivy league diploma.........but it surely doesn't make one BRILLIANT!

Chuck

January 6, 2008 at 12:30 pm |
  155. cindy

CNN should be admonished for all the publicity afforded the two frontrunners. Clinton and Obama were pushed to the forefront by the media. John Edwards is the only candidate who speaks from his heart, and addresses the middle class problems. The others have been talking to the monyed class. This primary season has proved that $$$talks...i.e. Biden and Dodd had to pull out because of lack of media coverage and money. They were probably the best candidates for this country and they were not given prime time coverage...they were busy doing their job in the senate.
    Cindy, F lorida

January 6, 2008 at 12:40 pm |
  156. Bertha Armstrong

I am a Democrat, the last Republican I voted for was Ronald Reagan. However, if Obama gets the nod from the Democrats, I will be looking for someone to vote for. McCain is my choice for Republican, and only Hillary would get my vote over McCain. Haven't we done enough damage with an 8 year reign of King George W? He had no foreign policy experience, and that sick religious patter has been quite enough of that for 8 years. Obama may be a poetic speaker, but he is not dry behind the ears.

January 6, 2008 at 5:22 pm |
  157. Christian Blake

Jan 6, 2008 7:05 PM
    Reader;
    With regard to the accusation that a person can not change his mind and it
    is not good is probably the stupidest statement a person can make. The body
    changes biologically an average of four times during ones lifetime. Would
    any individual have the same thought or idea that they had ten or twenty
    years ago? I doubt it, unless your thought processes are dead!! It's wierd;
    a politician can advocate change in Washington but not in the human mind!
    Christian Blake. A native Vermonter that has changed and will continue too!

________________________________________

January 6, 2008 at 7:15 pm |
  158. Andrew Kellums

Has anyone noticed how much Huckabee resembles "Gomer Pyle"? When he came to mike to accept winning, I expected him to say "Golllllll-eeeeeee!" Even his facial expressions remind me of Gomer! Just a passing thought!

January 6, 2008 at 8:15 pm |
  159. susie Cooper

IF HILLARY HAD EDWARD'S SENSE OF FAMILY VALUES, OBAMA'S FORTHRIGHT WAY OF PRESENTATIONS, BRYDON'S SENSE OF HUMOR, MCCAIN'S COURAGE, GUILANNI'S SMILE, AND ROMNEY'S TAILOR, ONLY THEN I WOULD CONSIDER A VOTE FOR HER.

January 7, 2008 at 10:09 am |
  160. Elvis

Giuliani said in the Jan. 5th ABC debate: "We should increase the size of our military.... [by] 25 – 30 percent... If I'm president I'll do it immediately."

How much will Giuliani raise taxes to pay for this?
    How much more money will Giuliani borrow from the Chinese,
    How much more money will Giuliani have printed out of thin air to pay for this?

Giuliani also said he wants to cut taxes & reduce the deficit.

January 7, 2008 at 11:25 am |
  161. Vern

"Multi-faceted" Mitt won't survive for long - providing the media forces the devilish details of Mitt's key issue:

Exactly how Romney would solve the illegal immigration problem he so vehemently attacks. If there really are 10-12 million illegals in America, whom Romney cannot see himself offering any form or hint of amnesty to, just what is his plan for dealing with them?

Is he planning to find a way to identify all of them so they can be deported? If so, would such an ID really amount to a national ID? And if he is able to identify them, does he plan to mobilize every bus and train in America along the US-Mexico border to cart the miscreants away?

What will the employers who currently depend on that cheap labor do? Close down?

What will the communities that depend on those employers for personal and community livelihood do? Raise taxes and fees?

Just how would Romney bring his MBA and Business Success skills to bear on the problem he's couching most if not all of his campaign on?

Who is asking him the tough questions that might reveal the real Romney or just expose more hot air?

January 7, 2008 at 1:21 pm |
  162. Art Hogarth

It should be clear by now that Huckabee is a democrat, and can one imagine "Pres. Huckabee" a name change is in order here.

January 7, 2008 at 1:48 pm |
  163. Elvis

In the debate Saturday, Giuliani said: “We should increase the size of our military…. [by] 25 – 30 percent… If I’m president I’ll do it immediately.”

McCain and Romney echoed Giuliani's desire for a much larger military.

How do they plan on paying for this?

How much will they raise taxes?
    How much more money will they borrow?
    How much more money will they create out of thin air?

Giuliani also said he would cut taxes & reduce the deficit!

That's preposterous!

The truth is they can’t pay for it, can’t stem the tide of rising debt, can’t do any of this without making our financial problems a lot worse. Any claim to the contrary is nothing but disingenuous spin.

Team Bush has been spending over half a trillion dollars more than than it takes in each year, including far more military expenditures than the rest of the world combined.

Including all supplemental appropriations, FY2007/8 military expenditures are almost $700 billion! That's more than Social Security benefits!

January 7, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  164. don

Why not allow Ron Paul ample time to get his message through to the people on a 15-20 minute stretch on CNN, since Fox News seems to suppress freedom of speech by not allowing him to debate? Show your viewers that CNN believes in the first Amendment.

January 7, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  165. Michael

I only hope that the mass media would give the only viable Republican candidate, Ron Paul, a chance to spread his word to the public. If the media would stop holding him down there is no doubt in my mind that Ron Paul would become the next Ronald Reagan and the public would rally behind him. We are ready for Ron Paul to lead a Revolution against the powerful corporations that only wish to profit from the middle class working man. Vote Ron Paul 2008.

January 7, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  166. John George

Some question that I do not hear asked to McCain:
    1) Do you still believe we won in Vietnam? (He has said this several times in the past)
    2) What would it mean to win? The same as it is now with US A's South Vietnam crew in place?
    3) Could the Soviets have won in Afghanistan? What would that mean?
    4) What does it mean to win in Iraq?

January 8, 2008 at 7:42 am |
  167. GRACE, SUN CITY CENTER, FL

I BELIEVE THAT REPUBLICAN VOTERS WILL REALIZE
    THAT IF THEY DON'T GET BEHIND THEIR ANTI-IRAQ
    INVASION CANDIDATE, THEY WILL LOSE THE
    WHITE HOUSE TO THE DEMS.
    CLINT EASTWOOD HAS ENDORSED RON PAUL.

January 8, 2008 at 9:03 am |
  168. John Fisher

Jack,
    When is someone going to explain to the American public that a president can't make change. All these candidates promises are meaningless unless the congress is willing to make change. He can only agree or disagree with their actions or non-action.

Lets change some of the dead wood in congress. Thats where we need the new approach to fixing this countries issues.

I didn't get it done on my watch, so I'm hoping this generation is smart enough to do it. This election is very important to our future.

Sincerly John

January 8, 2008 at 11:42 am |
  169. Chuck

Jack; John McCain?....I admire him, thank him for his service and wish him all the best. That doesn't make him "presidential-material." In my opinion it would be GWB minus the "arrogance" but with a "BRAIN." Sorry................
    Chuck OHIO

January 8, 2008 at 1:12 pm |
  170. David

If Huckabee gets the nod this 22 year republican(who has voted in EVERY election) will go third party. No Huckster for me. If the Democrats win....oh well.

January 8, 2008 at 5:17 pm |
  171. M

Does it matter? The republicans took this country down hill ever since Bush was elected into office. The will not win the White House and should donate the campaign to a good cause, like impeaching Bush.

January 8, 2008 at 5:22 pm |
  172. Tacy Traverso

I hope, Ron Paul.

Seeing the poll with Huckabee in front is sad to me. Just today he commented on CNN that the only two Constitutional Amendments he'd like to add are one for the preservation of life (which is a state issue) and one for the sanctity of marriage (which is a church issue).

Whether you are pro-life and/or pro-gay marriage and/or pro-abortion and/or anti-gay marriage; NONE of these issues belong in Federal law.

Huckabee is taking stances based on his own religion and though that's understandable, using his power as President to alter the Constitution in favor of his stances is a frightening prospect.

This is not America if we are ALL not FREE. Freedom lies in the Constitution, which protects and calls for separation of Church and State.

January 8, 2008 at 7:05 pm |