December 20th, 2007

Jailing drivers who use cell phones?

ALT TEXT

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

British drivers who get caught talking on their cell phones or sending text messages while driving can now be sent to jail. What a great idea.

A new law means people can now be charged with "dangerous driving", which carries a 2-year maximum prison sentence and an unlimited fine. Under the old law, motorists faced a lesser charge of "careless driving" which carried a $120 fine and three points on their license.

The new law came about because of growing public concern over drivers using hand-held phones, which were banned while driving back in 2003. Because of a lack of aggressive enforcement and relatively mild penalties, vast numbers of drivers ignored the law and continued to endanger themselves and everyone else on the road by yakking on their cell phones.

The British government says drivers are four times more likely to crash if they're holding a cell phone or sending a text message while driving.

And it's not just cell phones they're going after. The new measure also punishes other aspects of dangerous driving, things like smoking, racing, reading a map or newspaper and making sudden lane changes.

Here’s my question to you: Is it too harsh a punishment to jail people for using cell phones while driving?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Andrea from Twin Lake, Michigan writes:
As a grief counselor, I was once called in to work with the mother of a 17-year-old girl who was killed in a car accident. The child was talking to her mother on a cell phone at the time, thus her mother helplessly heard the crash and her daughter take her last breath. I would gladly put my daughter in jail for a time if it would save her life.

Brian from Chatsworth, California writes:
Yes, it is absolutely unfair. These are all steps to the government becoming more of a nanny state. You can't protect people with ridiculous laws all the time. With liberty comes certain dangers. These choices are what make a nation free.

Frank from Tallmadge, Ohio writes:
It is a great idea. I am a firefighter/paramedic and can't tell you how many injuries I have seen from these idiots talking on their phones while attempting to drive. The worst are the ones driving past an accident scene we are working on and the passersby are gawking at us AND yapping on their phones, nearly driving into us!

Steve wrties:
Jail time as a first offense is a much too large punishment for using a cell phone. If police actually caught every single person using a cell phone while driving, the whole country would be in prison.

Keith writes:
Yes, throw the book at them. I have been cut off in traffic so many times by idiots who feel their phone conversation is more important than my life. I carry a sign in my car which I hold up at stop lights: "Get off the phone and let me live."

Jonathan writes:
Times like this I'm glad we won our independence from England. Yes, driving while distracted is a problem. However, it is not a felony. Now excuse me. I think my exit is coming up.

Maybe Jack will read yours tomorrow.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Jim Jensen

The experts who study these things say that people who use cell phones while driving pose at least as much risk to others as someone driving under the influence of alcohol. If a drunk hits and kills someone they go to jail [however be it not long enough] so if a cell phone user does the same thing there is no reason in the world not to send them to jail too. I also think it should apply to people eating while driving, changing clothes while driving and putting on makeup while driving and [blush] making love while driving. People c'mon! The only thing you are supposed to be doing while driving is ... gee whiz … driving. God knows, most of you don't do even that correctly when you aren't doing something else too.

December 20, 2007 at 2:01 pm |
  2. CRAIG R. MCNEES

NO, I HAVE 2 FRIENDS INJURED BY INCONSIDERATE DRIVERS USING CELL PHONES, ASK THEM WHAT THEY THINK NOW THAT THEY HAVE INJURIES TO LIVE WITH. ANOTHER PROBLEM IS THAT DRIVERS THAT LOSE THEIR LICENSES DRIVE UP TO THE COURT HOUSE TO PAY THEIR FINES HERE IN TAMPA. AS FOR OUR OVERFLOWING JAILS, IF THEY WOULD DEPORT THE ILLEGALS THEY HAVE LOCKED UP THEY MIGHT HAVE A LITTLE ROOM FOR THE MURDERERS, RAPISTS AND PEDOPHILES THEY ARE RELEASING DUE TO OVERCROWDING. AND YOU THINK THEY ARE JOINING TO JAIL SOMEONE FOR USING A CELL PHONE, RIGHT.

December 20, 2007 at 2:20 pm |
  3. Terry O'Flaherty

Jack
    First offence a ticket, second offence suspended drivers license, third offence either community service or jail time whatever the judge sees fit. Between cell phones, drinking and eating, and whatever else people do instead of focusing on driving our traffic fatalities will never be reduced.

December 20, 2007 at 2:43 pm |
  4. Jackie

Heres an idea. Turn your celphone off while driving! It saves lives and it saves a trip to jail! Why couldn't we think of that sooner?

December 20, 2007 at 2:45 pm |
  5. bnthdntht

Anytime a person is careless when in possession of a deadly weapon jail is the only thing that will keep society safe. Guns,cars,boats,and airplanes can be deadly weapons. Drugs,alcohol,and cellphones when a person that chooses to combine these items can be considered reckless and careless should go to jail.

December 20, 2007 at 2:53 pm |
  6. Mike B.

Its certainly more warranted than jailing a 10-year old girl for using a steak knife to eat her lunch. They might actually hurt someone.

December 20, 2007 at 2:57 pm |
  7. shane

This is a pathetic question. The answer is obviously no and if one even considers a Draconian law like this, they don't deserve to live in America. Why don't we just jail someone for eating a big Mac on his way home?

December 20, 2007 at 3:07 pm |
  8. Ed

I hope they're not pardoning drug dealers to make room for cell phone abusers.

December 20, 2007 at 3:18 pm |
  9. Tom Bulger

The English government picks up the medical tab of both the guilty parties and the victims of automobile crashes so they have a vested interest in reducing these drains on the national health care system. If it were coming out of your pocket, Jack, you'd come down real hard on preventable deaths and injuries too.

December 20, 2007 at 3:26 pm |
  10. Richard

I say it is a great idea and it should be more drastic. My son and daughter-in. law were nearly killed by an idiot driving an SUV and running a red light. If yiou absolutely need to talk on your cell, get off the road and gab to your hearts content. Also, many cell phone users are rude and loud in restaurants and other public places. A charm school for cell phone users might be a good idea.

December 20, 2007 at 3:31 pm |
  11. Rich, McKinney Texas

I think it is an excellent idea. The only time someone should be on a cell phone in an automobile is in an emergency and they better be talking to 911. I do not care how talented you think you are you have no right to jeopardize my life and the life of my family because you want to order a damned pizza on your way home while you drive. If you can do it with a hands free phone with voice recognition knock yourself out otherwise pull over and make the call. They should require cell phone etiquette classes before your allowed to carry and use a cell phone.

December 20, 2007 at 3:33 pm |
  12. steve duke

Why do not we jail all those people that are eating,shaving or applying makeup while driving they are just distracted butt yet we focus on cell phones. Why dont we start with enforcing the laws we have.

December 20, 2007 at 3:35 pm |
  13. Bill Ruch

Hi Jack,
    Your forgetting that every cell phone user is paying for the calls and to restrict them, heaven forbid, the telephone companies will lose money and that will bring out the lobbyists by the hundreds. Some one important will have to be killed or injured before it will be illegal to use your cell while driving.

December 20, 2007 at 3:46 pm |
  14. Ed Reed

There is no doubt that talking on a cell phone distracts from driving. How many times have you passed someone driving erratically and discovered that they were on the phone? I think a fine is appropriate.

December 20, 2007 at 3:54 pm |
  15. T.DeMari

No it is not harsh to jail people using their cell phone while driving. Having an accident is much harsher. To insure safety, harsh measures are often necessary.
    When I see a driver near me using their cell phone, I get out of their way as quickly as posible.

December 20, 2007 at 3:57 pm |
  16. Kristin in Ohio

It isn't too harsh. In fact, not only should we adopt a law like this, but we should have mandatory written and physical driving tests whenever a driver's license is renewed. How many of us would still pass the written test? Maybe if testing becomes more frequent, people will realize that road safety isn't just a piece of paper discarded when you are fifteen years old.

December 20, 2007 at 3:59 pm |
  17. john, miami

Lock 'em up Jack! Then they'll know the true meaning of 'cell phone'

December 20, 2007 at 4:03 pm |
  18. Jeff/Michigan

Jack,

Are you kidding me! We have so many laws on the books now that can't be enforced why would we legislate more. What we need is less lawyers, less laws,
    and most of all less burocrats.

December 20, 2007 at 4:04 pm |
  19. Jesse Reynolds

Jack, just this morning a young lady came through a red light and ran me off the road as she jabbered happliy ignorant on her cell phone. I have had near misses at least once per month over the past year. Recently, in the San Francisco Bay area, a man was run over by a train as he talked on his cell phone. Driving while talking on a cell phone is dangerous; it's an outrageous threat to the innocents. If a person would rather risk the lives of others rather than pull to the side of the road, or let their voice mail take the call while they seek a safe spot to return the call, jail is definitely a solid punishment. Can we discuss length of sentences next?
    Jesse in Tacoma

December 20, 2007 at 4:06 pm |
  20. Richard DiBenedetto

Once they release drug offenders from jail there will be plenty of room to incarcerate those criminally phoning home, or as an alternative, new car makers can include standard equipment voice activated phones so they can incarcerate little girls who hungrily wield knives in the school cafeteria.

December 20, 2007 at 4:06 pm |
  21. Bert

What? Jail? You've got to be kidding. They ought to just cut your hands off. One hand for each offense. That should solve the problem.

December 20, 2007 at 4:09 pm |
  22. Jim

I think for first offence; A ticket for a $100.00 fine
    Second offence; A ticket for a $250.00 fine and 90 days suspension
    third offence; $1000.00 and 30 days in jail and 180 day suspension.
    I also believe the same should be applied to Eating while driving, putting on makeup while driving, or doing anything that would divert one sole concentration or attention from traffic !

December 20, 2007 at 4:23 pm |
  23. Ron Feinman from Boca Raton, Florida

I believe there should be a TOTAL ban of all cell phone use and other electronic devices at all times, other than if a driver gets off the road, parks and then makes a call or receives a call. Too many accidents occur because of distraction, and I would go further and assess a heavy fine and a six month jail sentence if more than one violation is assessed to the same driver. I would begin with a small fine but then graduate to the heavy fine and six month jail sentence. If someone has died due to this abuse, I would indeed give the driver a manslaughter conviction and a five year sentence with no appeal. Somehow, we managed to live without cell phone and other electronic use years ago, and Americans MUST understand that they have a social responsiblity to be considerate of others when they are driving what is, basically, a MURDER WEAPON–their automobile!

December 20, 2007 at 4:31 pm |
  24. Allen L Wenger

Why do we always look for punishment, instead of an idea that will solve the problem? We have the technology to block all cell phone signals in a designated area. If we would install this technology in each new car, a cell phone would not work in the vehicle. Problem solved and no-one has to go to jail. We could also make it mandatory to get it installed in all exsisting vehicles by 2010 or 2015. We should also allow no cell phone signal areas in theaters, resaurants, concerts, and libraries. We already have a larger percentage of our population in jail than any other country, maybe we should look at ways to decrease our jail population instead of increasing it even more.

December 20, 2007 at 4:33 pm |
  25. Ken

No more harsh than driving while impared by drugs or alcohol.

December 20, 2007 at 4:39 pm |
  26. annie

Hey Jack,

You've heard the one about not being able to chew gum and walk at the same time. How in the world can you operate a motor vehicle while having a phone conversation. Yeah, throw them all in jail with their cell phones and see how long they're tolerated.

Annie

December 20, 2007 at 4:41 pm |
  27. James S. Lenon

Cell phone use has caused public displays of rudeness and stupidity to reach new levels with no indication that any improvement will take place. No one's right to jabber mindlessly eclipses public safety regulations. Since many people seem to be addicted to cell phone use, we should enforce minimum sentencing guidelines for anyone who causes injury to others while using a cell phone.

December 20, 2007 at 4:41 pm |
  28. Bill

I think the punishment for talking on a cell phone while driving should progress to a jail sentence after more then two offenses. But I cannot help but think how many more people might be here today celebrating Christmas with their families, if it was not for someone talking or using a cell phone while driving. There are five young cheer leaders that would still be doing cheers and opening up Christmas presents if one of them did not tried to text message someone while passing a tractor and trailer. – Bill, Quarryville, Pennsylvania

December 20, 2007 at 4:42 pm |
  29. Oti

I think this is a polite way of taking jobs away from hard working people: via the jail term Jack.

December 20, 2007 at 4:50 pm |
  30. walter

Jack, if it were up to me some of them would get the death penalty ! I can't count the numberous times I have had to wait at a stoplight while some idiot is ether talking or texting on their cell phone ! The fact that some people use their cell phone for work does not mean they have the right to endanger someone else's life .
    The government should have the Auto Makers install devices that cancel cell phone signals in US cars ! There are scrambling devices .

December 20, 2007 at 4:53 pm |
  31. Michael Shanklin

It sounds like the police just got a free ticket to pull over whoever they want. Is that a big surprise? It is government run and that is what comes with government controlled land. I personally believe that the government should have a right to increase safety on THEIR roads but to arrest someone with a 2 year punishment(even though most won't get the max) is somewhat overdoing it. Is this what the founding fathers would have done?

December 20, 2007 at 4:57 pm |
  32. Ted Minnard

Jail is barbaric. Just send a bill for a fine to their cell phone provider for 100.00 the first time, 1000.00 the second time, and the third time, loss of any cell phone privileges with ANY company for 2 years and a $50,000 fine to any company who provides one during a suspension period.

Now about those in-car primpers, donut eaters, coffee drinkers and book & newspaper readers.......

December 20, 2007 at 4:57 pm |
  33. Leah, NC

Yes, they should be jailed. I'm speaking from experience too. My brother who was killed by a man driving while talking on his cell phone ran him off the road. People just do not understand the consequences of talking on the cell phone and driving. It's just irresponsible.

December 20, 2007 at 5:02 pm |
  34. Mike

Here's a way to kill two birds with one stone, put the stone in a car and give it a cell phone.

December 20, 2007 at 5:04 pm |
  35. James

Jack,
    Absolutely not. I spend 6 hrs a day on the road and everytime someone is going too slow in the fast lane, or taking a wrong turn, or running a red light, or not going on green until everyone behind them is honking and so on and so on, it's always someone on a cell phone. People, the roads are for driving, you have 2000 lbs of steel traveling 50+ mph and too many people die at the hands of someone with a cell phone jammed in their ear. It's time to hang up and pay attention. I know I don't want to die because someone had a phone call to make.

December 20, 2007 at 5:07 pm |
  36. john

No absolutely not, jail is not to harsh a punishment for driving with a cell phone, nor is jail to harsh a penalty for the cell phone company executives that turn over our cell records without warrants.

December 20, 2007 at 5:08 pm |
  37. Patricia

Ok Going to try this again: You only need your cell phone for the following: To report a car accident, To get help for someone who is ill, To find a way out of a place where you are lost. You do not need to call your manicurist, your boy/girl friend, or the Chinese resturant for a take out order.
    If you need to be in constant contact with your business or real estate office then you need to pull over & call while you're parked.
    It's just way tooooo funny to watch someone in that nice expensive "Benz" acting realllllll important while using that cell phone. It's even funnier watching them on the side of the highway reporting that they have been in an accident & then calling their spouse to say they are going to be late getting home. Those drivers are almost just as dangerous as drunk drivers.
    Yep, You Do Deserve To Go To Jail!!!

December 20, 2007 at 5:14 pm |
  38. Kyle, from Charlotte, NC

Finally! A law that makes actual sense. If jailing someone for talking or texting on their cell phone prevents loss of life, I say lock 'em up!

December 20, 2007 at 5:15 pm |
  39. Donald, Butte Montana

A car travelling at any speed can be a deadly weapon. Therefore, when one gets behind the wheel of a car it requires their full attention, both defensively and offensively to prtoect themselves, their passengers and YES, other motorists.

It does not mean you eat you breakfast/lunch/dinner, apply our make-up or other personal grooming, talk on your stupid cell phone, text, work on y our computer, read a paper/magazine/book,, watch a DVD movie, etc.

I take my life seriously and have had many near hits because of ignorant people talking and texting on their cell-phones.

There should be no warning tickets, but fines and jail time and revocation of driving PRIVILEGES that gets people's attention and the message across. Insurance companies should charge excessive rates for these abusors,

Life is more important than these stupid distractions. If you care that little about human life, then you don't need to be driving.

December 20, 2007 at 5:17 pm |
  40. suzieperlstein@hotmail.com

Absolutely, especially if they are using a hand set, instead of an ear peice.

I am a Realtor, and I often get calls while driving. I do not answer them. If I have to speak on the cell phone I pull into a side street and park. Nothing is worth my life, my client's life or the life of another driver.

If people are going to drive and put on make up, talk on the phone, eat and drink, read, and all the other things I have seen drivers do, they need to be pulled over and arrested. They are a threat to the lives of others. Not to mention idiots.

December 20, 2007 at 5:27 pm |
  41. Mead

Is it too harsh to send someone to jail for talking on the cellphone behind the wheel? Yes. But offenders should be fined heavily... and if talking on the cell phone leads to an accident, then yes, the offender should be jailed.

December 20, 2007 at 5:33 pm |
  42. Brad

handheld cellphones while driving should be outlawed here in the states. people are IDIOTS when they drive on them. i dont care what punishment judges/magistrates hand out, i'm no lawyer. but if they are outlawed people would have the right to phone in tag numbers of idiots on them. and if they keep getting busted then take their license away

December 20, 2007 at 5:36 pm |
  43. .David Allen Linkenheimer

That is just what we need... another class of criminals... where there need not be a "victim" or an "injured party". (necessary elements of common law crime)
    At the rate the so called "Free World" governments are legislating "Public Safety"... it will ensure that we have the largest prison population on the planet for years to come.
    I for one would like to know just what it is we are free to do.... We have laws against every thing...

December 20, 2007 at 5:37 pm |
  44. Jay

While I fancy the image of some cell phone blabbermouth sitting in jail because they can't understand the reason for not being distracted while driving, a hefty fine and/or revoked drivers license is more appropriate. Take away their right to drive, that way they can devote more time to their "right" to chatter away endlessly on the phone. Jail, on the other had, is for criminals not people who won't shut their mouths behind the wheel.

December 20, 2007 at 5:40 pm |
  45. Philthy Phil

Ask those who have been critically injured or surviving families of those who have been killed by these morons who haven't the brains to hang up and drive. I'm sure they'll all tell you that jail time should be mandatory, and in my opinion those that use their cell phones in traffic are just as, or more lethal than a drunk driver!

December 20, 2007 at 5:41 pm |
  46. Tom in New Brunswick

Great idea as long as the law applies to everyone. How many law enforcement officers talking on radios and cell phones are ready to go to jail..."citizens arrest" anyone!

December 20, 2007 at 5:45 pm |
  47. richard bjorklund

Mabe talking isnt so bad but how do they dial without looking away from driveing? Me personally I think it should be law all over like seatbelts, no cell phones while driveing. My girlfriend thinks multitasking is easy, so have many dead people on the road thought.

December 20, 2007 at 5:47 pm |
  48. Gwen

Hell, no! The Brits are way ahead of us on this one! Maybe that's because their lawmakers aren't bought and sold as easily as ours are!

December 20, 2007 at 6:05 pm |
  49. Marianne Beasley

Nope, jail is fine.... also, send them to jail for diapering a baby while driving. I know someone who did that !

December 20, 2007 at 6:13 pm |
  50. Matt Seil

No, it's not harsh at all. A study conducted in NYC demonstrated that talking on a cell phone while driving inhibits your ability in an identical manner to driving at the legal limit of intoxication.

If we jail DWI suspects, we should jail cell phone users too.

December 20, 2007 at 6:13 pm |
  51. Steve Wehbey

Jail time as a first offense is a much too large punishment for using a cell phone. If police actually caught every single using a cell phone while driving, the whole country would be in prison.

December 20, 2007 at 6:14 pm |
  52. jonathan

Now excuse me. I my exit is coming up.

December 20, 2007 at 6:14 pm |
  53. Brantley

I understand the reasons behind making this law so strict, but it seems a bit rash. Is there no middle ground here? Also, what about the inevitable costs of holding people in jail?

December 20, 2007 at 6:14 pm |
  54. Theodore

Yes it is too harsh. Do we have a epidemic of accidents due to cell phone use? Who is working on ways to help us communicate more safely while driving?

December 20, 2007 at 6:15 pm |
  55. Mike

Jack,

California passed a similar law last year which takes effect next June. Hopefully, the enforcement will be better here than in Great Britian. I doubt it.

December 20, 2007 at 6:16 pm |
  56. thane chastain

This is lunacy. What about eating in the car? What about kids in the car? What about having bad thoughts about someone else in the car? What about talk radio in the car? They are all distractions. People who want to ban cell phone use in cars are people who are not popular enough to get calls while in the car. Probably not certain where the answer button is either. The Brits are wrong about many things; add this to the list.

December 20, 2007 at 6:16 pm |
  57. Patrick

Jail time is harsh and a good lawyer will prevent anyone from seeing any time. What should be done is have the car/SUV impounded. The amount of red tape and costs for getting the car/SUV out of impound will make a greater impression on the offenders.

December 20, 2007 at 6:16 pm |
  58. mike gerrells

Many countries already give stiff fines for cell phone use. It is imperative that attention be paid to driving and not to any internal distractions. Hands free cell phones are available. I believe jail time is not necessary but fines should be imposed.

December 20, 2007 at 6:17 pm |
  59. dcowan

Very simple. Impound the car for a month. No fine. no ticket.
    no record. You just don't get your car, or who-ever's car it was,
    for a month. They pull you over. you get out. they call a tow truck.
    they take it away. they give you a receipt.
    they leave you to use your cell phone to call who you wish so
    you can get home. You'll really think twice about that phone
    the next time you get in that car.

December 20, 2007 at 6:17 pm |
  60. Justin

On this rainy day in Atlanta, I noticed more drivers with their lights off while driving in the rain than talking on their cell phones. Until we enforce existing laws to make driving more safe, it will be near impossible to enforce this domestically. In any case, drivers should buy a hands-free phone device for their own benefit and the benefit of others they obliviously endanger.

December 20, 2007 at 6:17 pm |
  61. Bryan

Yes, it's absolutely unfair. This is just another step in the British governments idea of a nanny state. You can't protect your people from everything. With freedom comes danger. These choices are what makes a nation free. People are adults, and can decide what to do. Putting them in jail is just ridiculous, there are lesser penalties for sex offenders.

December 20, 2007 at 6:17 pm |
  62. Frank in Tallmadge

December 20, 2007 at 6:17 pm |
  63. Rex

Jack,

It has already been proven that cell phones and driving do NOT mix. Users of cell phones while driving have been shown to score as bad if not worse than drunk drivers behind the wheel. If YOU or your call is that damned important, please spare the rest of us and PULL OVER into a safe place and yak until you are blue in the face, but please don't gamble with the rest of us trying to get from one place to another in one piece! The highways are dangerous enough without adding your self important ass to the mix.

Cell phones a re a great invention, especially in emergency situations, but chatting while driving about nothing in particualr that is NOT an emergency is NOT acceptable.

December 20, 2007 at 6:18 pm |
  64. Kieth Wagner

Yes throw the book at them. I have been cut off in traffic so many times by idiots who feel their phone conversation is more important than my life. I carry a sign in my car which I hold up at stop lights. "Get off the phone and let me live"

December 20, 2007 at 6:18 pm |
  65. dave heller

no its not too harsh. jail time woul deter drivers from talking on their cell phones and concentrate and driving. britain has balls somehow the united states does not.

December 20, 2007 at 6:18 pm |
  66. Jim Wikert

Enough already,our prisons are overloaded now.We are trying to let minor or lesser crimes be punished by fines and rehab,solets not add these stupid people that shouild know better to our jails. Flog em Jack Flogem
    Jim Wikert
    Long Beach Ca.

December 20, 2007 at 6:18 pm |
  67. Chris Perkins

I think it is too harsh. I understand the hazards of using a cell phone, eating, or looking at the radio while driving, but the lack of skills and brains by some should not cause the whole nation to be punished. Get a brain people use your phone while driving only when it's possible. Don't go texting in rush hour traffic when it's 70-20 in a split second. If you can't do that, don't drive.

Chris Perkins

December 20, 2007 at 6:19 pm |
  68. al hattem

i don't think it's too harsh at all,why if i had my way i would,hold on i've got an incoming call,al hattem,naples,fl.

December 20, 2007 at 6:19 pm |
  69. nick

Hold on Jack, When this government begins enforcing laws against illegals then and only then can it expect the citizens to obey the laws!

December 20, 2007 at 6:19 pm |
  70. Di Feinstein

Yes – I support jailing of drivers while talking on hand held cell phones, however, I also firmly believe that anyone talking loudly on a cell phone in a restaurant, or any other public enjoyment or relaxation environment should be severly fined for interupting the quiet and enjoyment of fellow citizens and visitors around them.

The constant rape of our gift of hearing by noisy, nasty or horny cell phone users MUST BE STOPPED! .....help!

December 20, 2007 at 6:19 pm |
  71. Pete Ross

Yes driving and talking on the phone should be illegal, especially if you have a history of running over bicyclist in Manhattan – right Jack!

December 20, 2007 at 6:19 pm |
  72. Brad

Why punish British drivers so harshly when their government requires them to drive on the wrong side of the road.

December 20, 2007 at 6:20 pm |
  73. sheldon gross

Hi- Text messaging and cell phone use while driving any vehicle even a horse and wagon is a very good reason to support the return of the death penalty. Life w/o parole is an insufficient deterrent.
    Sheldon Gross, UWS NYC, NY

December 20, 2007 at 6:20 pm |
  74. james

i love using my cell phone while driving if they wanna put me in jail for that so be it.

December 20, 2007 at 6:21 pm |
  75. jerry

I recently moved from NYC to North Carolina where tailgating and driving at 70 MPH while dialing your a cell phone is a requirement to get your license.
    I complained while I lived there about using a headset , but now i wish they would pass a similar law here .. it would stop some of the many daily rear enders here.

December 20, 2007 at 6:21 pm |
  76. dave heller

no its not to harsh. jail time would deter drivers from talking on their cell phones and concentrate on their driving instead. britain has balls . the united states does not.

December 20, 2007 at 6:23 pm |
  77. Tony

Harsh for jailing people driving with cellphones...?

Well, which option would one choose...1) stay in jail for about 2 years and enjoy your free life after that or if possible, still remember and regret about one's action in th after life, if there indeed is one.

If you ask me, I think this is equivalent to "negligent homicide"...although people may not think or mean to end other lives including their own, when it happens numerous lives are gone just like that.

now, does being jailed sound too harsh after you weigh the option of seeing tomorrow or going 6ft under a few days after?

December 20, 2007 at 6:23 pm |
  78. len Voycey

Holy cow!

Jail time for not wearing a seat belt is next I suppose! Look, if somebody causes an accident FOR ANY STUPID REASON, throw the book at him. But to try and make a law about every little thing is just going to make for a very heavy book – and takes us further down the slippery road of politically correct behavior being legislated. We suffer enough harrasement from the Police, which only gives THEM a bad name (I love the Police Myself ) BUT BEWARE OF THE POLICE STATE YOU ARE CREATING !

December 20, 2007 at 6:24 pm |
  79. Rich, McKinney Texas

Some Cities in Texas have already passed laws prohibiting the use of cell phones in School Zones. Driving in a privilege not a right. You want to talk on a cell phone while driving make it hands free and voice activated only with an exception being emergency use only. The states only issue drivers licenses not telephone licenses and until they do,Tturn the dam things off behind the wheel. It is kind of hard to eat and comb your hair much less drink a coke and talk on the phone too while your driving.

December 20, 2007 at 6:24 pm |
  80. Andrew Nelle

I think it's a great idea to bring some kind of legal action against drivers on cell phones. I myself drive and talk on the phone but if I was stopped and given a ticket I would understand and not be surprised at all, I think Americans should follow suit.

Andrew Nelle
    Seminole,FL

December 20, 2007 at 6:24 pm |
  81. AJ Valentine

Yes Jack. it's far too harsh.
    After reading some of the comments written here, I see that it's no wonder we have a fool in the white house, fools in the Legislature, fools in the judicial system, and yes, Jack, fools among the citizens. Once we give the government even more areas to execute their "police power," who knows what they'll come up with!!!! This is the very reason we are still in Iraq and Afghanistan, are considering Iran, and don't know exactly what to tell Israel.

December 20, 2007 at 6:25 pm |
  82. Ken

Yea, jail time for everyone. We can have the iron curtain here and make these people disappear for ever.

December 20, 2007 at 6:25 pm |
  83. Alyssa

Living in Chicago is a great thing. We get to see many lawbreakers on a daily basis doing what they do best, breaking laws! I love it when I see the people that are supposed to be upholding the law being the first ones to break them! I see City of Chicago Police Officers talking on their personal cell phones while driving every time I hit the road. It's great to know that the people who are supposed to upholding the laws are the first ones to break them! Jail tim eis NOT too harsh for talking on a cell phone while driving, these people have to learn some way.

December 20, 2007 at 6:26 pm |
  84. Joe Ward

Test results in Canada in 2005 already showed results from using Cell Phones while operating a motor vehicle as relating to accidents were similar to DUI driving. As many or more accidents, – so why such a difference in fines / penalties?! – Weare not talking about causing mostly about the major serious wrecks, but the vast majority of All accidents are fairly about the same, – using cell phones, putting on make-up, eating / drinking, etc. 2nd warning Cell Phone use should be at least 1-3 days in jail, – otherwise drop the issue.

December 20, 2007 at 6:26 pm |
  85. KC Johnson

Making it life without cel phones might have more impact.

December 20, 2007 at 6:27 pm |
  86. Andrew

I'm texting this reply from my car. Let them just try and catch me.

December 20, 2007 at 6:28 pm |
  87. Stephanie Wells

I think we should penalize people for using cell phones, especially text messaging, while driving. I do stupid stuff while I am driving all the time and I think twice when I know I shouldn't be doing something but I still do it! If I knew I might be stopped if a cop saw me, and it was a big fine and maybe jail time, I definitely wouldn't talk on my cellphone or put on my makeup while driving. I do these things all the time, and I like to eat while I drive too, and dig for things in my purse, etc.. I think that it would definitely be something I would never do if I knew I could be even fined so it would hurt. ($20 wouldn't be discouraging). Because the stupidity of doing something like digging for my lip gloss and putting it on while I am driving, isn't apparently enough to keep me from doing it because I still do. I live in a rural area, and because I am driving on roads that tend to be free from other cars, I think I do even dumber stuff and more often than some city drivers might, but when I am in town, I feel self conscious when I talk on the phone or do careless things, because I don't want to be seen by law enforcement and even though they really aren't illegal now. I think we need to have more strict laws when it comes to driving cars, which are essentially giant weapons. I am always amazed at the speed at which we drive, and at the carelessness with which we take to the wheel, and I include myself in the careless and speedy category. Let's slow down and pay attention!

December 20, 2007 at 6:31 pm |
  88. Kenneth from Delaware

Jack,
    Drunk driving laws have not stopped people from driving drunk. Matter of fact last I heard drunk driving cases were on the rise. The only mandatory driving law that has had any effect was requiring small children to be in car seats. Most people already were doing it before the law took effect. So if you can't tie cell phone use to people's children, why waste tax payer dollars. The government needs to be trying to find ways to prevent subway bombs that kill and injure people instead of locking people up for using a cell phone. Get serious

December 20, 2007 at 6:32 pm |
  89. David A. Linkenheimer

I like your blog Jack.... It is scary to see just how many people are victims of a public school education when it comes to 4th. and 5th. ammendment rights.
    Some of them want to impound your vehicle without a hearing or any meaningful "due process".... Hell just let the cops do "SUMMARY EXECUTIONS"; and then send the accused's family a bill for the bullit.

December 20, 2007 at 6:32 pm |
  90. Dominik

Jailing people for using cell phones while driving? You've got to be kidding me. That just gives more of our liberties away – for this to be a serious question...well, you can't be serious! If a serious accident occurs, an investigation should happen like in any other accident...if it's ruled that the accident happened because of the cell phone, sub red light for cell phone. In other words, treat it like if you ran a red light and caused the accident. Please, let's not turn this into an extremist country! We've already gone way too far down that path, and I don't know about you, but it hasn't done much good for me.

December 20, 2007 at 6:33 pm |
  91. Kyle

I think the penalty for smoking while driving is the most important one to enforce, given the cigarette lights fires. I believe it should be no more lax than the California Law for smoking Marijuana while driving, smoking anything for that matter. I think that the DMVs out there need to take as many drivers off the road as possible, high gas prices aren't deterring the drivers, they are just making more money.

December 20, 2007 at 6:34 pm |
  92. k

Jack just take away their phone. That would be equivelant to the death penalty for some folks.

December 20, 2007 at 6:37 pm |
  93. Jer

My "beef"; why is there not a law, "prohibiting a person while driving a vehicle, is NOT PERMITTED to have their canine sitting on their lap, between the person and their steering wheel"? Get them in the back seat with the children!

December 20, 2007 at 6:39 pm |
  94. Martin Thirlwell

Jack,
    I am British and have lived in North Carolina for 3 months, I was subject to the old laws of $160 plus 3 points but never used a hand held cell phone – there were always plenty of hands free versions available. Even though the laws were in place almost nobody was ever prosecuted, I have my doubts as to whether anything will change with the new laws. I do however think it is time to start looking at the driving laws here in the USA after seeing some "unusual" driving styles on your own roads whilst using cell phones! Only time will tell.......

Martin NC

December 20, 2007 at 6:39 pm |
  95. Robin Mills

Great news on Cell phone clamp-down..
    Now the song should go ......
    "Rule Brittania, Brittania Rules the Roads"

December 20, 2007 at 6:41 pm |
  96. Bryan

If all the non-users have to pay to feed them while they’re jailed, who is really being penalized?

December 20, 2007 at 6:42 pm |
  97. Cari Plyley

No, a waste of jails. Do we jail someone who has only one arm and has to drive with one less appendage? Do we jail someone who talks to the person next to him in the car? If you want to discourage it, make them do public service – the skies the limit, but jail is a resource that should be used for more desperate situations. Texting while driving? Costly ticket and responsibility for public services required if in an accident.

December 20, 2007 at 6:45 pm |
  98. Frank Salerno Yuma Az

Being one that spends many days on the road all over the USA I can emphatically state that of all the near misses I have seen due to failure to recognize a potentially dangerous situation in the making just about every incident involved a driver holding a cell phone. However, what may be even more dangerous is all those idiots trying to find somewhere to pull over in order to avoid paying a fine or going to jail. Hi hon, how does Chinese sound for dinner?

December 20, 2007 at 6:45 pm |
  99. Adam T.

Its funny how quick people chime in and say that there should be a law banning people from using cellphones and driving because its distacting. Enforce the laws that we have, not create a new one. Most everyone that is posting on this topic has used their phone at least once if not more while driving. Oh, by the way Brad, if you are phoning in the people using the cellphones while driving, YOU would be guilty of the same thing that you are calling them in for or maybe you guys are calling to report each other, LOL.

December 20, 2007 at 6:46 pm |
  100. Roy

I think that they should be arrested and put in jail. I have been ran off the road dailey by cell phone drivers, they are worse than drunk drivers!!

December 20, 2007 at 6:48 pm |
  101. Darryl Edington

The appropriate punishment is to take their phone, and not allow them to own a cell phone for a year or so.

December 20, 2007 at 6:48 pm |
  102. Ken KS

The military has the right idea for starters. On a military installation, if you're talking on the cell phone with one hand and driving with the other and get caught, you will be given a citation, regardless of rank. It's unfortunate that our police forces would have to aggressively catch cell phone talkers and text messengers to make sure they get the message for safety.
    They have too much to do already. Maybe Americans could try a couole of things that might make a difference: Common sense and common courtyesy.

December 20, 2007 at 6:48 pm |
  103. JIM THOMAS

Fine them once heavily. The second time put them in jail including the women at least one day. No they cannot take their phones in with them. Jim Thomas

December 20, 2007 at 6:48 pm |
  104. Dennis

Absolutely! I'm sick and tired of having to watch out for these idiots on the road as I've been rear ended twice...each case by some bimbo talking on her cell phone while driving. There is no excuse for anyone to be texting while driving as well as other stupid things I witness like putting on makup, changing clothes, reading a news paper and making aggressively dangerous lane changes. The thought of my child driving amongst these idiots when starts driving is enough to make me sick.

December 20, 2007 at 6:49 pm |
  105. ken

ALTHOUGH I WOULD APPRECIATE EMPTY ROADS (DUE TO A LARGE NUMBER OF CURRENT DRIVERS WOULD BE IN JAIL) I HAVE SEEN MORE DANGEROUS THINGS TO DO ON THE HIGHWAY. SOME NOT FIT TO SAY ON TV. LETS FACE
    THE FACTS AMERICANS WILL NEVER GIVE UP THEIR LOVE AFFAIR WITH THEIR CELL PHONES, AS FOR THE BRIT'S WHATEVER FLAVOR OF TEA THE WANT DOES NOT BOTHER ME

December 20, 2007 at 6:51 pm |
  106. Pierre

No. Hang em high!

Cell phone use and other distracting activities engaged in while driving only when the insurers refuse to pay when accidents occur due to driver negligence due to distracting factors such as....CELL PHONE USE!

December 20, 2007 at 6:52 pm |
  107. Jeff

Jail, come on, NO. Next If you switch the radio dial you get the DEATH PENALTY ????

I have worked in the wireless biz for 10 years and now that everyone has one or 2 phones if you carry a PDA Blackberry device Jail is simply to strict.

Although I have found myself weaving between lanes while trying to read e-mail I have been lucky not to have been pulled over. I think the insurance companies should weigh in – so if an accident is caused by a distracted driver – your rates would go up. Simple.

Jeff
    Boca Raton, FL

December 20, 2007 at 6:56 pm |
  108. joe

Cell phone usage is a distraction while driving but when will it get to the point when all freedoms are restricted? How about the commercial where the guy driving is talking to his gps and he says' " I Love You". How distracted was that gps to him that he became head over heals for "IT"?

December 20, 2007 at 6:56 pm |
  109. Dalas Klein

I believe they should be treated just like DUI offenders with the same penalties, fines, lose of license, SR22 Ins. jail time etc. Come on, look at these people, they are not paying any attention to you or me when they are talking on these Phones. Oh ya and think of the revenue it would create. If you did this they might think twice about how important that Cell-Phone really is.

December 20, 2007 at 6:57 pm |
  110. Rita Louise

It all comes down to enforcement! How many laws are on the books, but not enforced for lack of funding or resources? That's why it won't work. The best we could do is to levy heavy fines. I mean HEAVY fines. Then law would see what revenue it could bring in and find it worthy of attention. Jail would only overcrowd existing facilities and is counter productive. Find a way to hit them where it hurts, fines, auto impoundment, or stripping drivers licenses. But again enforcement is the key to any solution.

December 20, 2007 at 7:00 pm |
  111. Nigel (British)

Jack...

As a British Citizen, I love the new penalties. All of this talk about lack of freedom and erosion of liberty, is rubbish. Personally I want to be free to drive in the roads without my life being in jeopardy by some other moron motorist on his/her cell phone.... that is real freedom!!

Cheers!

December 20, 2007 at 7:01 pm |
  112. Jan Villarreal

I think it is too harsh to have a jail sentence for using cell phones while driving. I agree cell phone usage is wrong while driving, but a very pricey penalty should be enough, say $500 fine? We already have too many people in prison. We need to save the space for harsher crimes like rape and murder and child molestation.

December 20, 2007 at 7:23 pm |
  113. Brian Green

When you are behind the wheel you are only taking your own life in your hands, but you also have an obligation to everyone else on the road to pay attention to your own driving and not allowing anything to distract you or hamper your ablity to control your vehicle. Talking on cell phones, (unless you are using a hands free device that does not distract you attention or hamper you ablity to control your vehicle), it is about the same as a DUI driver, in which you pose a risk to other drivers, and should be punished. I don't belive government should be able to regulate every asspect of our lives, but government has an obligation to protect the general public and all of us on the road. It's a shame that not enough people have enough common sense and respect for others to either use a hands free device, (that will not distract them), or put their cell phones down while driving. No I don't belive jail is too harsh of a punishment for anyone who is posing a threat to others by their carelessness and disregards for others, especially if they cause a wreck that injures or kills anyone, or even causes the loss of some elses vehicle and/or other property.

December 20, 2007 at 7:51 pm |
  114. michael so. cal.

No, jail is for criminals. Arn't our jails full enough. crime and punishment, no crime same thing.

December 20, 2007 at 9:03 pm |
  115. John

I've always despised cars but in America you are forced to buy & insure one to survive. It's insane.

It's bad enough always having realized the death trap these monsters are; but then factoring in people on their cell phones while driving and then others implicitly threatening to murder you because they are 'special' kings of the road and you're on their territory is amost too much to tolerate.

I wisely avoid driving except when forced, which in America is still far too much.

December 20, 2007 at 10:32 pm |
  116. John - Boardman Ohio

Can anyone tell me which Dem / Rep Presidential Candidates have Off-Shore Bank Accounts and are skirting paying Taxes as us Middle Class have too?

December 21, 2007 at 5:45 am |
  117. Carole Canrell

It is good that the candidates are asked the same question, but I wish they could not hear the answers the other candidates give. That way, they could not build on those answers, but give their own stand on the issues. The viewers (voters) would be able to evaluate each candidate more accurately.

December 21, 2007 at 6:07 am |
  118. Darrel D Iowa

Large Fine is in order/ 250$ plus court cost
    Second offense Double it
    Third Double it again Impound the car an no drivers liscense for 5 years
    and 2 Years in prison
    They will get the drift
    It is stupid to talk and drive.

December 21, 2007 at 8:18 am |
  119. Forrest C. James

I believe the punishment for using the cell phone while driving should be:

1. Confiscation of phone 2. Receive a ticket for unsafe driving

Jail time is going too far, unless an accident was caused.

December 21, 2007 at 9:16 am |
  120. Manny

Jack, I find it interesting that in the midst of the investigation into the destroyed CIA tapes, the Vice President's office in the executive building has a fire. What may have been burned that related to the CIA tapes?

Manny

December 21, 2007 at 9:57 am |
  121. John Twobirds

Jack;
    They ought to make using a cell phone in public places against the law as well
    as using them while driving their cars. If I had the power to do it I would shut off
    all the cell phones for just a day and see how much of the world it traumatizes.

December 21, 2007 at 10:22 am |
  122. Dylan

I believe their should be a punishment for driving while using a cellphone, but being sent to prison is outrageous. Maybe we should ask the presidential canidates.

December 21, 2007 at 11:10 am |
  123. JACK PAYNE

Yes, I get run off the road at lest three time a week by some idiot using there cell phones, however I think the punishment should be two hundred dollor fine and 60 days of picking trash of the highways, not at the drivers convients but strait in a row. If they loose there job tough. No use of cell phone while picking trash.

December 21, 2007 at 1:26 pm |
  124. tj henderson kingsville texas

prison for cell phone abuse ,.i guess the brits dont have the freedom the usa has,.,.fines are enough,.when ur on camera most the time you drive its easy to find the talkers at stop lights.,it could be enforced ,.,.but jail no ,.soon well all have cameras in the wildshield to document the others drivers that are driving danerously.,tell then just call on your cell phone to report them 🙂
    tx

December 21, 2007 at 1:46 pm |
  125. Karen

I'm 54 and responsible. What is the matter with you idiots? Haven't you ever heard of hands off devices. You put it in your ear and if you are intelligent you enter numbers in your address book and speed dial. It is quick, easy and leaves your hands for on the wheel. If my family call me all I have to do is open the phone and I am connected. The phone sits right next to my thigh when I call or answer and is simple to open quickly without fumbling around for it. My one hand is never off the wheel for more than a second, no longer than it takes for me to sip a cool liquid from a straw for the water I must carry and drink. How about we fine people who drink coffee and tip their head back, thereby losing even sight of the road, or moms and dads who look into the back seat or rear view mirror at their kids? Count the seconds lost there! I only open my phone to call at a red light or I pull off. I don't think the few of us who spent $25.00 to by an ear attachment should be penalized by the multitudes of you who have no common sense or are cheap.

December 21, 2007 at 3:00 pm |
  126. albert

It would be simple to clean up the TSA and turn it into an organization that functions as designed if we simply require that all employees MUST HAVE AN IQ ABOVE 80. This would eliminate approximately 80-90% of all current federal employees working for the TSA, and for that matter, the entire federal government.

December 21, 2007 at 6:52 pm |
  127. Scott

I read this yesterday and had no response, cause while I dislike the cell phone user/drivers and their thoughtless driving, I didn't think jail time was reasonable.
    Then on the way to the store a Police Officer (of all people) pulled out across in front of me (while using a cell phone) and I had to almost crashed my car to keep from T-Boning his car!
    All he did was wave in an apologetic way.
    So, Who's gonna arrest the Police when they use a cell phone while driving?
    Still, I don't know about jail time, except for like repeat offenders maybe.
    In the end, This will become yet another Law that will be used to make money by way of fines and less about real safety though. As per usual.

December 22, 2007 at 8:24 am |
  128. Bob

If your are on a cellphone while driving, then you should go to jail.

December 23, 2007 at 2:36 pm |
  129. Glen Bradley

Yes. Cellphones should be banned wherever they are unpopular. Ever seen someone yakking on a cellphone in a grocery store checkout lane? Annoying huh? Store managers ought to have Gov't authorized firing squads and a designated "death-zone" by brick wall out front. Maybe even a set of pikes to stick their heads on by the front doors. That'll teach those durn cellphone users!

And while we are at it, let's ban EVERYTHING that annoys somebody! People who live in thin-walled apartments who snore? They probably need to get hung. After all, punishment should fit the crime, right?

And those horrid people who don't take showers often enough, and just stink up the place? I'm thinking gas chamber. What do you think?

I like what one commentator stated above – when people are chatting on their cellphones while driving, spike-strip them, drag them out of their vehicle, shoot them in the head, and charge their family for the bullet. THAT'LL learn em!

/snark

My God people. I'm starting to think that Atlas really really needs to shrug...

December 24, 2007 at 12:40 am |
  130. C Jim Sands

I would recomend putting a "boot ' on their car. It would also help public transportation.

December 26, 2007 at 12:19 pm |
  131. Tim

These people may be idiots, but jail time is too high of a punishment for first time offenders. Use three strikes and you're out! First offense an $100 fine, second offense a $500 fine, third offense levy a $1000 fine, suspend their license and confiscate their car for a week. After that, habitual offenders could then see jail time.

December 26, 2007 at 1:06 pm |
  132. Todd Grigsby

Here it would certainly be too harsh, but in London, as an example, not having both hands on the wheel would certainly be dangerous. Have you ever driven there? The roads are, as a rule, almost ridiculously narrow. The margin for error is far less than it is here, making the effect of momentary distraction far greater.

December 26, 2007 at 1:08 pm |
  133. jean m

I don't care if they hang in public. My son is permanently disabled due to cell phone on behalf of the opposing driver. And she tried to leave the scene!!!! But her car had a switch in the tank that had to be reset. He went to the hospital with a broken right wrist ( he is right handed) and a broken left leg . Both are set with pins and screws which have worked loose. They need replaced or taken out.. No one had insurance as Florida doesn't require on motorcycle. No more bike. No I don't use a seatbelt due to my ostomy , it can get$$$$$$ as belts tear them off, I just drive like every body else is using a cell phone ( which I would never own)

December 27, 2007 at 12:50 pm |
  134. Jim

Cell Phones bring out the worst behavior from those that rely on them. Poor planers, insecure socializers, and over bearing business nerdies using public places to offend others with their blabber. Using the CP in a car just adds more risk to those using and those who become victims. Like urinating on a wall those with hydrophobia of the mouth identify themselves as rude and inconsiderate as well as stuck in adolelescence. The day is coming when businesses will make profits from "cell phone free"; flights, restaurants, and most forms of social interacting places. Its lone overdue.

December 28, 2007 at 7:22 pm |
  135. Jim

Jack Help please! Don't they make a device that emits a "CP jamming" signal say within 50 feet of the caller.. That ought to clean things up a bit.

December 28, 2007 at 7:28 pm |
  136. John

I ride a Harley. It's bad enough that drivers are messing with their make-up or trying to wolf down that last bite of a triple cheese burger while driving........BUT, I am sick of these text freaks and cell addicts who make driving their last thoughts while behind the wheel. I watch everyone while on my bike and I can tell 99% of the time when they are in their little cyber world and I'm trying to get somewhere without getting killed. By all means, lock them up in the same cell and watch the fun when they run out of juice for their phones........the whinning would be music to my ears!!

December 30, 2007 at 7:18 am |
  137. John U. TEXAS

I can't stand people on cell phones in cars, restaurants, movies or anwhere else when they make their life a part of mine by forcing me to listen to nonsense they fell compelled to share with us. I say put the self-righteous airheads on some sort of probation without their phones and have them listen to tapes of other conversations for 24 hours each day. Jails are overcrowded and we need to make a "Cell Abuse Compound" for these cyber world texting, loud talking knuckleheads!!

December 30, 2007 at 7:32 am |
  138. John U. TEXAS

Jack,
    I ride a Harley and I am always watching other drivers. I am sick of "drivers" trying to dial or text while I'm trying to negotiate the roads. I don't think we need to put them in jail.......but a "Cell Phone Abuse Compound" would be great. We could take their phones and have other recorded cell messages piped in for them to have to endure for 24 hours each day. I'm forced to hear their calls in restaurants and movies, etc. Why not share the experience they push on us?

December 30, 2007 at 8:02 am |
  139. Rob Murphy

Here's a suggestion, treat it like drunk driving. First offense, your cell phone privledges are suspended over all carriers for a month. Second offense, six month suspension and a fine. Third time, 1 year suspension and jail time with a fine.

Eventually people would get the idea that driving with a cell phone strapped to your ear is dangerous.

December 31, 2007 at 9:59 am |
  140. Joe Finn

Ask the question: "What does it take to drive accident free for more than a million miles in all kinds of roads and conditions?" After nearly two million accident free miles, I firmly believe in the following simple ABC's of safe driving. Rule One – Always Be Competent – means achieving super professionalism in driving skills. Rule Two – Always Be Controlled – means control your ego to control your vehicle and the situation around you. Rule Three – Always Be Considerate – means that each of us has the responsibility to drive safely and courteously, regardless of the other drivers errors. Driver training linked with financial incentives such as reduced insurance rates and reduced interest rates on auto loans would have a much greater success in improving driver safety than putting people in already overcrowded jails.

January 1, 2008 at 5:03 pm |
  141. JKJ

January 02, 2008 in Allentown PA

You better believe it that JAILING people who talk and text on cell phones (this includes hand-held and hands-free devices of all types including blackberrys, etc.)while driving is a GREAT IDEA! Too many times I have almost been hit by those morons talking or texting while driving. Maybe even sh____ them then they won't do it again. Cell phones ARE being abused everywhere and therefore should be banned everywhere. Question: what did these morons do before cell phones came along? Of course, they waited until they got home, to the office, found a pay phone, whatever. BAN ALL DRIVER USE OF CELL PHONES AND TEXTING 100%!!!!!!!!!! NO EXCEPTIONS! NO EXCUSES!

January 2, 2008 at 12:40 pm |
  142. Anne

Jack, the reason the winners are not always the ones who spend the most money is because-- money does not buy common sense.

January 3, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  143. Gerald Rogers

Jack:
    Why haven't all your analysts and pundits addressed what many of us would like to know? Exactly how effective have our previously successful presidential candidates been in delivering on their campaign promises? Surely that would help voters gain a good perspective on whether all this ranting has any teeth. Don't we need to know that "the Prez" can deliver on his/her promises?

Gerald Rogers
    Ocean Ridge, FL

January 3, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  144. Bob Ketler

According to your latest poll 71% of respondants....after ALL THIS TIME....haven't a clue about how the caucuses work. I live in a wealthy area of CT and have an M.A. degree and I don't understand either.

The explanation just given doesn't sound like democracy to me. The whole state has been inundated with these political idiots of BOTH houses for a year. REAL democracy would be to simply have a statewide vote for EVERYONE in the party to choose who they want. This caucus system isn't democracy...it's the old "brokered" convention" in a new suit...where pressure is put on you from the people you live and work with to vote THEIR way.

A pox on ALL these primaries – and on the confusing electoral system as well – why not be at least a LITTLE more democratic like many countries and just have a day set aside for a NATIONAL primary vote in every state? And....while we are at it....move a little bit toward an understandable election process by accepting the POPULAR vote instead of the thing-a-ma-jig called the ELECTORAL process? My friends in other countries do NOT see us as democratic. They can't understand the process and why we have a president who was NOT elected by the majority.

Are we REALLY a democracy....or is it somewhat of a confusing sham?

January 3, 2008 at 5:16 pm |
  145. Daniel

Jacj jack jack are you kidding me? She wont take any defeat sitting down..Why blow publicity after all isnt there another election chance in 4 years? Hey, Jack maybe she's counting on a predecessor bungle-up..After all she's gotten close to messing this one up. Shes lucky your not running Jack

January 3, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  146. Marvin

If Hillary finishes third in IA, it might indicate that the majority of Iowans think she's cute but probably the antichrist.

(reference to what one of your reporters said earlier today on-air about a pair of women commenting on John Edwards)

January 3, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  147. Eugene L. Fahngon

simple, Jack. No inappropiate relationship in the white house. America has agree to change.

January 3, 2008 at 6:24 pm |
  148. Mathew Gonzales

Our U.S. Constitution is in exile and the only candidate standing up to defend it is Ron Paul. I believe in the message Ron Paul speaks of, and I know our country is turning towards corporate fascism,and big government regulation,also known as socialism. We must restore our Republic or our nation will fall.

January 4, 2008 at 3:50 am |