December 17th, 2007

Endorsing John McCain?

ALT TEXT

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

John McCain is on a roll, at least when it comes to endorsements for his presidential campaign.

Senator Joe Lieberman, an independent who caucuses with the Democrats, backed McCain today, saying political parties are "not more important than what's best for our country." Lieberman, who was Democrat Al Gore's running mate in 2000, says you can always count on McCain to be honest about where he stands. He also praised McCain's "experience, strength, decisiveness" and readiness to lead the nation.

A recent poll shows McCain tied for second place in New Hampshire, so there's a hope that Lieberman could have some influence with independents in the Granite State, but maybe not. Last time around Lieberman couldn't even win the primary in his home state of Connecticut despite being an incumbent Unites States senator. He ended up running for reelection as an independent.

McCain was also endorsed by the editorial boards of the Des Moines Register and the Boston Globe. The Register wrote, "The force of John McCain's moral authority could go a long way toward restoring Americans' trust in government." And, the Boston Globe passed over their own former governor, Mitt Romney, saying that while McCain's views might differ from theirs, his "honesty has served him well." How important newspaper endorsements are these days is very much an open question.

Here’s my question to you: How much will endorsements from Sen. Joe Lieberman, the Des Moines Register and the Boston Globe help John McCain’s campaign?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Lee from Delray Beach, Florida writes:
Jack, As a lifelong Democrat who voted for Al Gore, the thought that I might have put a back-stabbing opportunist like Joe Lieberman only a heart beat away from the presidency makes my flesh crawl. I despise everything this administration has done, but Joe Lieberman is nothing but a George W. Bush with no conscience, and a whiney voice.

Susan from Encino, California writes:
I take seriously the endorsements by our major newspapers, and their reasons for the endorsements. Those mean a lot more to me then any celebrity endorsements (Oprah included). I liked very much what you just read on air about John McCain. While we may not always agree with him, you can't disagree that he's an honest man, and stays true to his feelings. I'm a moderate liberal Democrat, but those traits I have always and will continue to, admire in John McCain.

Susan writes:
Joe Lieberman and John McCain are irrelevant. They can endorse each other ‘til the cows come home. The 2008 election will usher in a new era led by progressive attitudes and a vibrant new leadership in the White House and Congress. Lieberman and McCain are dinosaurs from the old political aristocracy who deserve a pat on the back for their service and a fond farewell.

James from Centreville, Virginia writes:
Senator McCain's endorsements will help him because the blurring of political party support works to counter the runaway partisanship which began with Gingrich in 1994. McCain's base will be from both Democrats and Republicans of the moderate persuasion.

John from San Fransisco, California writes:
Jack, The days when "endorsements" meant something are gone. It's clear the media is NOT independent, so newspaper endorsements are just political endorsements. And, we all know, being endorsed by other corrupt politicians is meaningless. These fools are stroking their own egos and the mainstream media laps it up. Check to see who the voters are endorsing ... with their wallets.

W.B from Las Vegas, Nevada writes:
An endorsement from the "Lieberweasel"? That should be the kiss of death for John "Amnesty" McCain. I'm waiting for their "Bomb, Bomb, Bomb. Bomb, Bomb Iran" duet.

Maybe Jack will read yours tomorrow.

Filed under: Elections • John McCain
  1. Brice

How can the electorate of Lieberman's Senatorial seat rerconcile his endorsement. He's a turncoat, regardless of his political affiliation. He's a perfect example of how our elected congressmen (and women) don't represent any of us Americans!

December 17, 2007 at 2:10 pm |
  2. DW

Joe Lieberman is a bigger "kiss of death" then Striesand and McCain comes across as an angry old man. Endorsements probably won't mean too much after these two votes.

December 17, 2007 at 2:17 pm |
  3. Terry O'Flaherty

Jack
    At this point John McCain has a good a chance as any of the canidates, every endorcement no matter where it comes from is important in a close race as this one. Unfortunately the republican party is struggling to find an electable canidate who will beat anyone the democrats throw at them.

December 17, 2007 at 2:26 pm |
  4. Troy

I guess it depends on how much you care about endorsements.

December 17, 2007 at 2:33 pm |
  5. Steve Clark

Jack my wife and I are in our middle 60's,and have seen this country change in our over 42 yrs of marriage and we are dissapointed with the Republican party. Both of us have voted for whom we thought was the best candidate over the years. John McCain is a good person and we respect what he did for our country, but he is Bush all over again. As far as Liberman, he could not win as a Democrat, so he switched to run as a Independent, now all of the sudden he is a Republican. Go Figure. My wife said he wants the VP candidate spot again. Talk about "flip-flopping" Keep up the good work
    we like your book
    The Clarks

December 17, 2007 at 2:39 pm |
  6. john

That is all I needed to hear, McCain will never get my vote. Let’s read into the endorsements: The Boston Globe isn’t going to endorse a Yankee fan (Rudy) and Romney hasn’t been the Globe's best friend, the Des Moines Register is the paper version of the Clinton News Network (take a bow CNN) and Lieberman’s a/k/a AIPAC endorsement means McCain has agreed to be a war monger and do some bombing runs for Israel.

December 17, 2007 at 2:51 pm |
  7. Tina

This means nothing. I can change my mind for a candiate when I pull the curtain behind me on voting day. Things change and so will endorsements.

December 17, 2007 at 2:54 pm |
  8. Tom Thatcher Libby, MT

Endorsements mean nothing. Its just an Idiot endorsing an Idiot. Liberman would have been a mistake and Mc Cain would even a bigger one.

December 17, 2007 at 3:15 pm |
  9. Joan

I think its going to take more than that. I think Mr. Lieberman can't make up his mind where he belongs.

December 17, 2007 at 3:21 pm |
  10. G. Beckett

I think maybe this question helps answer your last. Why is there so much coverage on this? What do you think is better for the GOP, six million diollars of a democratic endorsement?

WAKE UP AMERICA.....not including you Jack.

-G.B.
    Canada

December 17, 2007 at 3:24 pm |
  11. Philthy Phil

Maybe Benedict Arnold has his eyes on that VP slot if McCain is selected to continue a war without end.

December 17, 2007 at 3:25 pm |
  12. Dr. Daniel Keane

McCain is so dun.

December 17, 2007 at 3:27 pm |
  13. douglas gengler knoxville arkansas

none if mccain would have run with john kerry last election he would have proven he is willing to work across party lines for a better U.S.A.. instead he let george w. have another 4 years to take the reputation of this country and put it in the toilet. lieberman along with W. need to be fitted with a white jacket thats buttons in the back!!

December 17, 2007 at 3:28 pm |
  14. Patricia

This may be "The Mother Of All Splits". The NEO-CONS want John McCain & the "Christian Religious Rightists" want "Mike Hickabee". Hopefully, this may implode the "Fake Republican Party" & the "Real Republican Party" will be born anew with Ron Paul. But, it won't happen, because the NEO-CONS & the Religious Rightists have such a choke-hold on the Republican Party, that it will be a "Hickabee/McCain" Ticket or a "McCain/Hickabee" ticket. If that happens, I will lay bets more Mother's will send their children to Canada before they let them serve 1 more day in Iraq or Afghanistan, or be sent to invade Iran.
    Any takers???

December 17, 2007 at 3:34 pm |
  15. Jeff in Connecticut

Jack,
    I don't know much about the weightiness of the Iowa newspaper endorsements, but we here in Connecticut don't put much faith in Joe Leiberman. The only reason he won the Senatorial seat here is is because there wasn't much the other two major canidates had to offer. Truth is, Joe votes Israel's interests firsts, the his own political future. Beyond that, he might do something for our state or our nation if it's convienent. As far as John McCain goes, I really used to respect the man, until in 2003 he started riding the "Sellout Express".

December 17, 2007 at 3:41 pm |
  16. B Reyes

These endorsements are meaningless. I don't vote for anybody based on what some talking head, newspaper or political figure says– Neither does anybody I know.

I see this as McCain and Lieberman setting up future political deals for themselves. "You endorse me, I'll help you out with _______."

December 17, 2007 at 3:46 pm |
  17. Rene Schnetzer

My impression of John McCain's honesty and integrity is hurt by the Des Moines endorsement – specifically because I lived in Iowa for almost 9 years and my impression is that most Iowan's I knew had a habit of aggresively forcing the unknown into their limited known. Combine that with the overwhelming desire for power and control over others (hence the dwindling state population) and you have a yellow brick road paved for the next Hitler. While the Iowa I knew is arguably different than the Iowa of 50 years ago (possibly due to said population exodus), the fact remains that a population of self-described "good, morale people" who obtain that self-view by rigid isolation and aggressive character assasination of any divergent opinion produces a dangerous climate that presidential candidates must appease. Having had my "iowa experience" my opinion is that these people are so crazy they need to endorse good morale people because anyone else would just wipe them out for the crazy and nasty things they do.
    But, after reading John Bogle's "Fortune" article in CNN's Business section where he raised the concern that America is unable to govern itself – corporate-speak for making USA, Inc., I'll just have to bite it this time, as I still think McCain would be better than that alternative.
    As far as Lieberman and the Boston Globe: I don't know anything about either and don't have an opinion.
    Renee
    P.S. I don't dislike all Iowan's: just more than a handful of the one's that have never left

December 17, 2007 at 3:48 pm |
  18. Brian Sanford

I won't help McCain. Americans want change and McCain has status quo written all over him.

December 17, 2007 at 3:49 pm |
  19. William Lucas Jones

John McCain is dead in the water. No endorsement will help.

December 17, 2007 at 3:55 pm |
  20. Pat

Liebermann carries no weight with conservatives. As to the newspapers, who cares? McCain is a dead horse candidate. Even if his stances on the war and immigration took sharp turns, it would do no good, as he'd be seen as a flip-flopper. Besides, he's dumb as a box of rocks, and Liebermann's not far behind in the brains department.

December 17, 2007 at 4:06 pm |
  21. Gabe

Jack,
    I'm a democrat and at one point I used to really respect McCain and I might have voted for him, but that was a long time ago. I just heard McCain making a big hoopla about what a significant bi partisan gesture this Lieberman endorsement is and how it can change our country. The truth is McCain is a washed up fraud. If McCain had accepted a bi partisan ticket with John Kerry in 04 instead of folding to GOP pressure like an obedient lap dog, then maybe our country really would have changed and would have be in better shape right now. I can never forgive McCain's cowardice in regards t that. I lost all respect for McCain following that election. I mean he hated Bush for destroying him in the 2000 primary with lies and slander about him having bastard minority children. Rove used his worst dirty tricks like push polling to smear McCain. McCain hated Bush, was outspoken against him and the war and then all of a sudden in 2004 McCain started campaigning for Bush, giving him public hugs, etc. Since then McCain's been the biggest war hawk and supporter of the President's surge. And don't even get me started on Lieberman!

December 17, 2007 at 4:19 pm |
  22. Bobby

Mr. Cafferty, in my opinion, none. I do not care who endorses any candidate... I can make up my own mind.

Bobby

Florida

December 17, 2007 at 4:20 pm |
  23. Gabe

Maybe Liberman thinks he can get on the ticket if McCain wins.

December 17, 2007 at 4:21 pm |
  24. Ken KS

Two has beens, one getting the indorsements of two Corporate America Media Machines. Joe Liebermann backs John "Sell Out" McCain. The only thing I respect about John McCain is that he served in uniform and endured the high American ideals during his prison stay at the Hanoi Hilton. Liebermann cost Gore the 2000 Election and he's been a loser ever since. McCain? He'll open the borders to more illegal aliens and keep us in Iraq indefintiely. Not NO, but Hell No on these two clowns. Ego is keeping McCain in this futile attempt at the presidency.

December 17, 2007 at 4:22 pm |
  25. Tom Bulger

Those endorsements won't have any impact. The only reason that Senator McCain is still in this race is because America is so starved for integrity it will support it; even when that integrity is heading in the wrong direction.

December 17, 2007 at 4:24 pm |
  26. Susan

Lieberman is a man with one agenda, support of Israel. Period. He is an obvious bigot against Arabs and Arab countries and probably should probably relocate to Israel since he is more in aligned with that country than with the US. His endorsement, with all his warmongering talk toward the Arab world, will act as the kiss of death for Sen McCain IMHO. McCain should have rejected it.

December 17, 2007 at 4:24 pm |
  27. Sly Michigan

It won't help at all. Joe Lieberman is a sheep in wool clothing, he's a disgrace to the Democratic Party.

December 17, 2007 at 4:27 pm |
  28. David

None. No one from either party liked Lieberman in the first place and the so-called "independent voters" are nothing more than a media invention designed to make things a bit more interesting. Besides, McCain is too old and Lieberman too irrelevant.

December 17, 2007 at 4:29 pm |
  29. Larry Pico

Jack,

It's like playing against the New York Yankees. They are ahead 12-0 and your team just hit 2 home runs.

Larry from Missouri

December 17, 2007 at 4:30 pm |
  30. SteveH

I am SICK of McCain!! He is NO war hero... stop saying it. Getting shot down? Crappy pilot. Getting caught? I guess he did not pay attention to pilot survival school. Gov't spends a lot on pilot training.... they really don't like it when you get caught.
    My grandfather did more in the 5th Ranger Battalion in WWII to be called a hero than this CAREERE Politician.

Wake up.

Any native of New Hampshire should run that liar Lieberman out of the state... "now I'm a democrat... now I'm independent... now I endorse a moron"

While America stayed 'asleep' yesterday... the rest of us raised $6.1 million for a true AMERICAN HERO!

December 17, 2007 at 4:32 pm |
  31. Patricia

Sorry Folks...But, you've got this all wrong.... NEO-CONS & "Religious Rightists" want a McCain/Huckabee or a Huckabee/McCain ticket & they will do anything to get it.... McCain ain't "ded" yet.... Not unless someone figures out how to stop them....

December 17, 2007 at 4:32 pm |
  32. Rich Purz

If 70% of americans are against the war ,why would having a war-monger like lieberman help with his endorsement? He caters to the Israeli lobbyist & has been pushing to bomb Iran. But then again I guess they're two peas in a pod. It'll give people a reason not to vote for McCain

December 17, 2007 at 4:36 pm |
  33. Rich, McKinney Texas

Didn't Lieberman run as Gores Vice president? He didn't win then so I see no reason to listen to him now. That is the trouble with Washington. They think because they have a title they are correct and important and the world should listen to them when they speak. Tell you what folks, after Congress voted all of us along with a lot of other countries into the Iraq war we don't listen so much to what they say anymore. There ideas and Opinions are falling on deaf ears, and rightfully so.

December 17, 2007 at 4:38 pm |
  34. Judy

An endorsement from Lieberman is a kiss of death. He, (Lieberman) is looking after the wants of Israel first. His staunch support of the war in Iraq and hawkish attitude toward Iran and Syria are making the hair on the back of my neck stand up. McCain should denounce him, but he's already moved to the dark side. Too late Johnny.

December 17, 2007 at 4:39 pm |
  35. Artus Register

Yawn. Enough with this no-story. An endorsement from the ghost of Ronald Reagan might breath a little life into this bankrupt campaign, but that seems unlikely. The only thing newsworthy about McCain's campaign is his forthcoming announcement that he's shutting it down...again.

December 17, 2007 at 4:39 pm |
  36. Katie

In one article I read about the subject, Leiberman says flat out, after a bunch of verbiage about how McCain is the only candidate who can "end partisan gridlock" in DC, that McCain is the only candidate who asked him for an endorsement; no Democratic candidate has. So much for Leiberman's continued insistence on his own Dem credentials. He still has a burr under the saddle because he was forced to run for re-election as an Independent after he made the foolish decision to flout his constituents and support Dubya's Iraq policy. He can continue to recite all the Democratic positions he has supported over the years, but his support of Bush's war and now this endorsement for McCain give the lie away; he's GOP and doesn't have the cojones to admit he crossed the aisle long ago.

December 17, 2007 at 4:39 pm |
  37. Kevin Hemp

A little bu t now enough. Or should I say "no"

December 17, 2007 at 4:40 pm |
  38. Rosemary E Sweet

Dear Jack,
    It shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody that Joe lieberman
    would endorse John McCain because he ran as an independent so he could beat Ned Lamont so he could stay in the Senate. He was more of a Republican than a Democrat.
    Maybe he wants John McCain to make him his Vice-President
    if he is nominated.
    Rosemary.
    Indiana

December 17, 2007 at 4:40 pm |
  39. Lynn

Watching the two of them was like watching a battery die. Not very inspiring!!

December 17, 2007 at 4:41 pm |
  40. Randle Turner

Exactly what I would expect from the man who lost as a Democrat in his own state. What Al Gore saw in him is beyond me. Yes we all know Joe Lieberman & what he is for & it's George Bush.

December 17, 2007 at 4:46 pm |
  41. Tom McArdle

The Old Media is fighting for their survival with subscriptions down and previous readers moving to the Internet. Tough to support an Internet driven candidate, Dr. Ron Paul. Lieberman and McCain deserve each other, they both want more wars, (Iran) and a continuation of the surge, so they have things in common.
    Both the Media and Lieberman support are the last gasp for a failing candidate.

December 17, 2007 at 4:54 pm |
  42. Sandi

Endorsements may help him in Iowa and New Hampshire. McCain's big problem will be getting the nomination. He is not a strong enough candidate to overcome Democratic candidates. Sad, but probably true, Johnny's day has probably come and gone.

December 17, 2007 at 5:03 pm |
  43. Javier

An endorsement for John McCain? A total waste. People have seen through McCain's intentions. He wants more WAR and is willing to destroy our National Sovereignty by having an OPEN DOOR POLICY with illegal immigrants. I know he's singing a different tune now, but we know where he really stands on the Immigration issue. He could get a thousand endorsements, but I would never vote for him.

December 17, 2007 at 5:04 pm |
  44. Fred

The newspaper endorsement will probably end up being very important - that is, if every cable news network spends half of each hour talking about it. Oh, wait a second...

Really, newspapers shouldn't even be allowed to 'endorse' any particular candidate...it just shows bias and favoritism in the media. How can any news be 'fair and balanced' if they endorse a certain candidate? It seems contradictory to the concept of good news and makes the whole publication seem more like opinion than fact.

December 17, 2007 at 5:04 pm |
  45. William, NC

Is this a way for Lieberman to get a chance at Vice President again? If so what a sad chance that he would think such a thing could happen. McCain could do better himself.

December 17, 2007 at 5:06 pm |
  46. Rich, McKinney Texas

Lieberman is like a parasite he is sucking as hard as he can at the coat tails of his host John Mccain just as he did at Al Gore trying to glean a seat in history as vice president. Lieberman will be of no help to anyone but Lieberman. Lieberman is an independent and he rides the fence and falls off on the side that can do the most for him at the time. As soon as that side gets in trouble he is back on the fence running as fast as he can to the other side of the fence. Just another self serving politician.

December 17, 2007 at 5:39 pm |
  47. George Jordan, PEI

Not a good choice for Lieberman because McCain is not going to get the nomination...seems like Liberman is angry with the Democrats...this will hurt him politically

December 17, 2007 at 5:45 pm |
  48. Donnald

IF, by any chance the Democrats increase their majority (?) in the Sentate next November, then the Senate Leadership should immediately strip Joe Lieberman of any commitee chairmanships and send him packing to the Republican side where he can 'caucus' with his true spirits.

To me, his tongue-in-cheek endorsement of McCain means nothing. All he and McCain can do is posture for photo opportunities in front of uniform clad members of the Armed Forces just like Bush.

December 17, 2007 at 5:50 pm |
  49. Ronald T Jackson

Joe Lieberman is still bitter about the Democratic Party not backing his reelection for Senate. This man is an independent Republican who promised someone that he would caucus with the Democrats if he won. Man, he is a real loser and a bad politican who just so happened to be lucky during his last election. Next time if he runs I don't think he will win. This man is very angry and to asssociate himself with Harry Truman is sacrligious. Lieberman is a joke and a fool.

December 17, 2007 at 6:15 pm |
  50. Stan

Because John McCain agreed to make Leiberman his vice president. Don't be fooled! It's obvious.

December 17, 2007 at 6:26 pm |
  51. arthur bird

Sen. Lieberman makes me want to puke. He has no clue as to what the common person thinks. I was surprised that his state was stupid enough to vote his butt back in. I am also concerned about his motives in IraQ

December 17, 2007 at 6:27 pm |
  52. Michael

I wonder if John McCain has offered Joe Lieberman a job if he gets the Republican nominee...perhaps a running mate job. Then for sure, they would get the Republican votes and the Independent votes....they would then think it was a "shoe-in", but the American people are smarter than they think...it would be throw the old shoes out.

December 17, 2007 at 6:29 pm |
  53. Ray Rumsey

Joe Lieberman represents Isralie interest much more than theUSA's. He wants American lives to continue to support an unecessary war and I hope that John McCain will wake up and realize that he should represent America not large corporations and Israiel.

December 17, 2007 at 6:30 pm |
  54. Michael Van Dyke

I am a Vietnam-era service-disabled veteran. Lieberman's a "chicken hawk" who today is ready to sacrifice U.S. children in a pointless endeavor in Iraq (though not pointless to his friends at A.I.P.A.C. - Lieberman is an "Independent" only to the extent that his loyalty is fundamentally to another country and independent to any US interest) having avoided any such risk in his own youth. His association with McCain is a stain on what little integrity McCain once had.

As a fellow veteran and former POW McCain will always have my ultimate respect, however, as the flip-flopping politician he has become I have little but contempt for him where there was once respect.

December 17, 2007 at 6:53 pm |
  55. Billy K ,Ga

If John Mccain has to ask for someone to support you what good is it.Was Liberman for Mccain before he was against him or against him before he was for him

December 17, 2007 at 7:05 pm |
  56. Jan Villarreal

Shows me how low Leiberman will go. He is a traitor to the Democratic party. He is for the war with Iraq and also would like to see us at war with Iran.

December 17, 2007 at 8:30 pm |
  57. John Kelley

I don't think Senator Lieberman's endorsement is going to help John McCain as much as the Boston Globe will, or if Senator McCain received the endorsement of democratic Senator James Webb, a war hero during the Vietnam war. Each one of us have reasons to believe one way or the other if the endorsement will help, or not. For me, if it was a Senator Jim Webb endorsing John McCain, I know that I would probably think very hard about supporting Senator McCain. But a Joe Lieberman endorsement doesn't have the impact, because I know that
    while Senator John McCain languished in the Hanoi Hilton, Joe Lieberman, armed with 4 to 5 deferments was a big dove against the Vietnam war as he campaigned for Senator Robert F Kennedy in 1968.
    I find it quite interesting to note the transformation of Joe Lieberman from dove to hawk. When he was young, Senator Lieberman was a dove on Vietnam, now he is a hawk of all hawks. Not only is he supporting Senator McCain on the President's surge, he was there with a non binding resolution to bring us to the brink of war in Iran. So the big question is why does Senator Lieberman want the United States in two wars at the same time? So for me, the question is, Why were you a dove on Vietnam and a hawk on the MIddle East?

December 17, 2007 at 8:56 pm |
  58. howard

senator lieberman isnt a senator , he is a lobbyist for the israelli gov.

December 17, 2007 at 9:13 pm |
  59. Darrel @Lone Rock Iowa

This endorsement thing means nothing. Could even be harmful in the case of the Des Moines Register for example.

They endorsed two canidates. First off John McCain. Now the Register is as liberal as liberal can get. So to throw the Republicans off by not endorseing a
    front runner is politics as usuall. Now John McCain is a man that has served his country extremely well. As a person he is great. As a President I beat to a differant drummer than he does. I sure wish John the best. He just don't have boarder control in mind. He is liberal in his thinking about the Illegal Aliens in this country and what to do about it. So he will go no where.

Second the Register endorsed Hillary? Why? She ain't no front runner or a crowd pleaser in Iowa either. Both on the Democratic and Republican View. She comes from a long line of bagage that is just not voter friendly.

So the Des Moines Register is backing two people that will not be able to get enough votes to be President. So IS the Des Moines Register is actually harmful to some politicians that are in the race?

As an Independant Voter I don't look at who is endorseing a canidate, but rather look at there record and there PLATFORM.
    HUCKABEE LOOKS GOOD/

December 17, 2007 at 10:18 pm |
  60. Tracy

Let's see... A republican presidential candidate raises six million dollars in one day during the hight of the traditional fund raising "dry season".. oh wait! They moved up all of the primaries this year! That means this republican candidate raised all that money a week before Christmas! So as professional, seasoned, journalists, who do you focus your attention on?? A truly historic, never before seen event? No way! We want a story about an old war mongering has-been endorsing another old war mongering has-been! All I have to say to you guys at CNN is – what are you smoking??

December 17, 2007 at 10:20 pm |
  61. Peter Nakashian

One loser endorsing another loser – yawn... both traitors to the people.

December 17, 2007 at 10:39 pm |
  62. Bob jenniches

Ron Paul does not get on the polls because the corperations have their aganda of who they want to win and do not Poll Rin Paul in order to show who they would like to win. That is way the internet is the real peoples voice. People can soeak there minds without it being edited. We also need to go back to paper ballots and get rid of these delagats. And return to the POPULAR vote.

Mr Caferty. Run as Ron pauls Running mate.
    I think it would be an honor.

December 17, 2007 at 11:03 pm |
  63. Claire

Forgive me for being a bit of a sneak, but let me join two questions if I may. I scrolled trough all those replies to your question regarding Ron Paul, then came here. There are a few comments, but very few by comparison. In spite of this, I spent the entire day listening to "news" of this rather ho-hum endorsement. I heard Ron Paul mentioned one your program, and briefly on one other news show. Why is the overwhelming interest of your viewers not driving more of the editing decisions in the news departments?

December 18, 2007 at 12:10 am |
  64. Jeff

Joe Lieberman and his friends at the American Israeli Political Action Committee (AIPAC) should be required to register under the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA).

Lieberman's pro-israeli (neo-con) agenda would be well served by John "Bom Bom Bom Iran" McCain.

December 18, 2007 at 12:23 am |
  65. David B.

I'm 100% for McCain but for him to have a good shot at winning the primary he MUST win NH. Given the open NH primary, open as in Independents can vote in either primary the following must occur:
    -McCain must continue upward movement in the NH polls
    -Huckabee (or even better McCain himself, although unlikely) must defeat Romney in Iowa, thus deplete Romney's momentum in NH
    -Edwards (or Clinton) must defeat Obamba in Iowa, stealing Obama's momentum in NH, especialy with Independents
    If this occurs McCain will have his best chance in NH and if he wins NH he'll likely continue to rise in the Michigan polls and possibly win MI as well. Then go into SC, NV & FL with a bunch of momentum. He may not win NV but he'll have a real good shot at SC if the above occurs. Florida will be just as difficult if not more so than NH.

December 18, 2007 at 12:45 am |
  66. Freedom4America

We believe it will hurt Mr. McCain and not help him.

Wonder why this is news is being reported so much when weeks ago Dr. Ron Paul was endorsed by Barry Goldwater, Jr. and where was the MSM coverage on that?

Support Impeachment Hearings for Vice President Cheney.

ONLY A Doctor WILL HEAL Our Country,
    Freedom4America

December 18, 2007 at 2:29 am |
  67. Paul

"The Sell Out Express"

I couldn't put it any better...

December 18, 2007 at 2:57 am |
  68. Hubie Nelson

Jack think about this:
    Joe & John or John & Joe now thats a joke. A blind person can see through that.
    Better than that Joe & John thats STINKS.

Olive Branch MS

December 18, 2007 at 5:57 am |
  69. tom

"uncle joe" is the independent senator from israel!

December 18, 2007 at 7:59 am |
  70. Karim

Dear Jack

I think Susan has said it all , for Lieberman is only important issue even

more than USA interest in the world is safety of Israil nothing eles ...

Mc Cain in low poll situation !! will grab anything ,But begging Lieberman !!?

it is desperate... because he lost badley in Democrat candidacy in 2004

I mean he lost realy badley ,may be he want to revenge !! of Democrat ,s

party , he sadi non Democrats candidates ask me !! but Mac Cain did ??

of course non of Democrats will dare to ask his endorsement , But Mac

Cain did it and he may get some Pro-Israeili voters but he will loose

much more in pro changes .

December 18, 2007 at 8:20 am |
  71. DON, TRAVERSE CITY, MICHIGAN

Every time I read something like this, I worry... will this man actually leave office in January, 2009, or will there be a 'terrorist attack' or something that allows him to remain King?

December 18, 2007 at 8:37 am |
  72. L.M.Lee

Liebermann is a traitor he will do anything to help Israel if that's sending America's
    young people to die he will do it. Especially when a lot of the young people are minorities. Who will take the missiles Iran will launch when Israel attacks Iran our young men and women who are within missile range of the simplest missile systems. Most people do not get a chance for a do over I am sure the residents of Connecticut would love to vote Liebermann out of office. New Hamshire gets a chance to do what Connecticut didn't do in 2006 throw him out by not giving McCain any votes.

December 18, 2007 at 10:00 am |
  73. Joe Tyrrell

Lieberman & McCain erronously believe that the war in Iraq can be won.. Unfortunately, some recent improvement associated with the Surge but actually mostly due to Al Queda arrogance and a nes strategy of bribing th local tribal cheifs. The Iraqui government is corrupt, ineffective, and unable to govern. There is no solution in sight even with 10 more years of loss of US lives & unsupportable expenditures. Next year Liberman will be caucsing with republican or himself.

December 18, 2007 at 11:14 am |
  74. Laura S.

The better question is how much did these endorsements COST McCain's campaign. Every endorsement can be bought, and the voting public shouldn't care who's endorsing what or who or when or why... Just vote for who you think can clean up the mess we're in!

December 18, 2007 at 12:16 pm |
  75. Brian Elstad

The reason Ron Paul is in single digits in the "polls" is not because of a lack of popularity moreso the lack of coverage and or negative coverage when possible on the major media outlets. One example, about a month ago I was watching one of the big 4(CNN, MSNBC, FOX NEWS, etc.) and some talking head had an editor from the LA times on doing nothing but bashing Ron Pauls image calling him a "nerdy little guy" and then saying his followers are even nerdier by pointing out 1, I repeat 1 person who was dressed in colonnial attire at a Ron Paul rally.

Ron Paul hasn't always been a single digit candidate mind you, as seen in the first GOP presidential debate on Fox(Faux) News. After the debate they asked people to text in who they thought had won the debate. Ron Paul was in the low 30's, almost doubling the runner up candidate being either Romney or Giulliani as I recall. Immediately Sean Hannity(blatant right wing crackpot) discredits the poll saying that Ron Paul's supporters had "stacked" the vote. How he immediately knows this knowledge is beyond me, maybe he's all knowing or just has high connections with the telecom industry.

Another example of media Bias, at that same debate they question Paul about the boo's he got from the audience after some questions. That will happen when Romney and Giulliani get 2/3rd's of the tickets for the debate to hand out.

Ron Paul has been vilified and marginalized by the mainstream media and Americans are sick of it.

December 18, 2007 at 1:56 pm |
  76. Aware

Why he want to run for president at this age? I don't understand it! I don't want him to risk his life try to solve Bush kayos politics. He is old, Old, OLd, OLD! Jack.

December 18, 2007 at 3:30 pm |
  77. richard Conte

Liebeman is a joke....he calls himself an independent Democrat and continues to support Bush's ill-begotten, illegal war....Judas that he is, he couldn't even support his fellow Connecticut senator (Dodd) who supported him in has run against his opponent in the primary. The man is a sorry excuse for a senator...Dodd has more principles in one finger than this traitorous DINO...Democrat in name only.
    Richard, Sonoma ,Ca....a former Connecticut resident.

December 18, 2007 at 4:21 pm |
  78. Karim

Dear Jack

Why evryone keep calling Joe as Independent !? he ellected in Conn, because

of huge votes of republicans reason ? why republican candidate got only

6 % of voters ? if reublicans had voted to their representitive then Le Monte

could have been ellected easily , No he is not independent he got opportunity

of hostilty of republican party in crucial point , republicans should have thought

better while Senate was divided 50/50 , they gave him best weight to

balance the demost important force in Washington!???

December 19, 2007 at 8:46 am |
  79. Patrick Hunt

The media does it again! On December 16, 2007, Ron Paul raised over six million dollars in a 24 hour period, and for two days he received minimal coverage of this event. I know that Glenn Beck, John Cafferty, and some other anchors give Paul the respect he deserves, but the coverage comes in small doses and only after he raised $4.3 million, $6 million, and a blimp. It's a shame when the media neglects to do its homework and report on all of the presidential candidates and their campaigns in a fair and equal manner!

A few days ago, Huckabee was all over the news because of a questionable Christmas video, and like dominoes, every other candidate found it necessary to record a "home" video. To date, I've seen one from almost all of the so called "front-runners", but I did not see one from Ron Paul, even though he made one several weeks prior to the other candidates! A newspaper in a small primary state endorses a few candidates (so much for an unbiased media) and it's reported, debated, dissected, compared, and televised five times an hour on every TV show for several days. A candidate raises over $18 million, wins over 50% of the straw polls, and has supporters meeting up all over the country, and he isn't even included in daily debates performed by the ever expanding group of "political experts" on every channel. On the rare occasion that he makes the news, he is dismissed by your anchors as a "long-shot" or a "dark horse" in this election. Why don't you tell everyone the truth? The majority of your networks have slogans that depict your stations as truthful and honest; why not live up to that? Is it that hard report what's happening to our country? I mean Cronkite, Rather, Dobbs, Olbermann, and Cafferty have or had no problem with sharing the views of every day Americans with the rest of the country.

The fact that Ron Paul has more support and money than the likes of Huckabee, and most of the other candidates, seems to get lost in the mix when your jumbled panels of "experts" get together to pamper and promote their favorite flavor of the month. What happened to the coverage of Straw Poll results? I remember the media used to drool over all over the straw poll results; I guess those results don't count anymore because "Ron Paul's spammers" actually show up to vote for their candidate unlike the supporters of the "front runners". A month or two ago, I did notice that Romney's straw poll win was televised and discussed. Was there only one Straw Poll this year? I know that the companies that fund your stations don't like to hear about Ron Paul's stunning record at the Straw Polls and they certainly wouldn't want anyone putting that on TV! I mean, people would actually know the real front runner isn't among the ones that have been constantly shoved down their throats when they turn on their TV.
    Isn't it about time to let everyone in on the Straw Poll results like you do with your daily station sponsored polls?

I respectfully request a response from someone at your network, because it would be nice to know that you actually care about what your viewers say. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
    Patrick Hunt
    Chesapeake, VA

December 19, 2007 at 9:14 pm |
  80. Sol

If these two guys, believe President Bush was right, by starting a (war) in Iraq, Maybe they should take a look at Islamic Justice I sent to you. "WOW", I'm impressed by Their religious way of showing it to their "(Children)". Take a look at what I sent you on teir justice to a Child, who was just hungry.

December 19, 2007 at 11:10 pm |
  81. Sol

Jack, the e-mail I past onto you, was from a friend, I thought you might want to tell me, (Is This What Our Troops Are Dying For)? Runing a car over a Kids arm, for stealing a Loaf of bread because he was hungry. Sick justice isn't it?

December 19, 2007 at 11:20 pm |
  82. Sol

I'm sorry Jack, I failed to tell you where I'm from. I'm from Coal Twp. Pa. I wrote you on Islamic Justic And sent you pictures of a Childs arm being placed under a car tire,for stealing a loaf of bread.

December 19, 2007 at 11:39 pm |
  83. Joyce Greene

John McCain has my vote if Barak Obama is the Democratic candidate. To say the least, I am an ardent Democrat and ardent Hillary admirer. However, under usual circumstances my vote would always go to the Democratic contender. However, given this weekend's debate I will shift parties if Barak is nominated. Barak's insensitive, unkind back-handed compliment to Hillary, after what must have been a very hard to deliver compliment Hillary gave to Barak, confirmed my opinion that likeabiliity is not necessarily a reflection of kindness or character. Too bad so many Democrats (and independents) have forgotten the Gore-Bush race where likability trumped intelligence and a caring nature. We have suffered for eight horrible years because of that. I certainly do not want to live another four to eight years with an insensitive but charismatic leader. Heaven help us!

January 6, 2008 at 10:38 am |