December 10th, 2007

Giuliani’s security questions?

FROM Jack Cafferty:

Rudy Giuliani says that it was New York City police who decided that his then-mistress Judith Nathan needed security escorts on the taxpayers' dime.

The Republican presidential candidate said on NBC's Meet the Press: "I did not make the judgment, I did not ask for it, Judith didn't particularly want it. But it was done because [police] took the view that it was serious and it had to be done that way. And it was done the way they wanted to do it."

The former New York mayor seemed defensive when Tim Russert asked him if a hypothetical presidential mistress should get Secret Service protection, saying it "would not be appropriate" in the absence of a credible threat.

Giuliani didn't name a specific incident that led police to create a full threat assessment for Nathan. However he said he had been the target of several death threats.

Giuliani has faced questions recently about the accounting of his security expenses when he was mayor, that charges were shifted around to obscure city agencies. He says that allegation is inaccurate and that all expenses were ultimately paid by the New York Police Department.

Here’s my question to you: When it comes to Rudy Giuliani’s time as New York mayor, are you satisfied that nothing improper was done with regard to security for him and his then girlfriend, Judith Nathan?

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Rich, McKinney Texas

Well I wouldn't say it was proper since he was still married at the time and New York Tax dollars were spent to the tune of $29757 for travel bills racked up by Mayor Rudy Giuliani's security detail as he hung out with then-girlfriend Judith Nathan on Long Island. I am not so sure that the Tax payers of New York were aware that they were paying for security for their Mayor to Woo Ms. Nathan while Giuliani's wife was left at home with nothing but a lock on her door and Judith's lipstick and makeup on Rudy's collars.

December 10, 2007 at 2:50 pm |
  2. Dan Hucker

I guess it is a sign of the times. When someone uses taxpaper dollars for someone to hold his pants while alleycatting around. Now wants to be President.

December 10, 2007 at 3:16 pm |
  3. Benjie

Well Jack, as someone who lived in New York during Rudy's tenor as mayor, I have to say.... I don't trust him as far as I can throw him. And that isn't very far.

December 10, 2007 at 3:43 pm |
  4. chris rehkopf

No he is another haughty polotician who is not for the masses and i do not beleive we need another career polotician nor republican or democrat to be elected we need a independet hard working middle class amercian who is strong enough minded to end all this madness.Rudy would walk in george w's footsteps and further create chaos look he claims to have cleaned up the former city of new york and i must ask you have you seen this mess of a metropolis but wait there is more ,bernard kerik not to mention family ties to the mob but its like beating yourself in the head with a stick REPUBLICANS OR DEMOCRATS THEY ARE ALL CRIMINALS AND IF WE WANT TO WIN THE WAR IN IRAQ THREATEN TO SEND THE CLINTONS ,BARRAK,RICHARDSON OVER TO RUN THEIR COUNTRY AND YOU WILL HAVE A UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER BY HIGH NOON.By the way i loved your book ITS GETTING UGLY OUT THERE IT IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE .

December 10, 2007 at 3:59 pm |
  5. Annette Reed

Mayor Guiliani is to be admired for his unlimited ambition, and this strong drive extends to his love life. He was just wooing Judith, doing what comes naturally, and got mixed up as to whose funds should pay the expensive wooing fees. It is sad for his wife to be cuckolded, but sadder for us taxpayers to be left holding the bill. It seems Politicians come in only two official types: (a) Oversexed and (b)Deeply religious/near celebate.

December 10, 2007 at 4:01 pm |
  6. Tom

When Giuliani denied any wrongdoing regarding NYPD security for his mistress, Judith Nathon, his lips were moving.....................duh!

December 10, 2007 at 4:06 pm |
  7. David, Florida

Actually, I'm satisfied that it was very IMPROPER. However, Guiliani may not have personally directed that this be done. It my have been done by underlings that knew what the boss wanted.

December 10, 2007 at 4:15 pm |
  8. Bradley J. Riley

I don't care much for Guliani, but if I were the mayor of NYC and I had previously prosecuted mob leaders and their family, I'd have the secret services protect my entire family.

Although my mistress wouldn't have protection because as the Mayor of NYC, I wouldn't have a mistress.

December 10, 2007 at 4:15 pm |
  9. Richard

Oh come on. If Monica Lewinsky had been driven shopping by the Secret Service do you think people would have accepted that? This was an abuse of power, plain and simple.

December 10, 2007 at 4:15 pm |
  10. Letty

Security for a mistress? And she was, indeed, his mistress – not a girlfriend. A girlfriend is someone you date when you're single. My home security monthly payment is too much for me to pay for but I paid for Judith's security? LOL! What a bunch of crap. He should be MADE to pay that money back – like NOW. Is there not a trustworthy politician around anymore?
    Oh, right – that's why they go INTO that profession in the first place.

December 10, 2007 at 4:17 pm |
  11. Eric (State College)

While I'm no fan of Giuliani by any stretch, I don't think it's fair to judge unless the whole story is out. Who knows if those mobsters were after anything connected to him...Ok, I can barely play devils advocate without a straight face...Of course he let it happen! I'm sure there are plenty of people in NYC that have faced death threats and you don't see cops protecting all of them!

December 10, 2007 at 4:18 pm |
  12. Frank

If you've ever watched an episode of the West Wing, you know that the government official doesn't have control over his own security detail. Even Huckabee admitted that he had the same situation as governor. Rudy cleaned up a cesspool of a city, despite mob threats and countless other controversies that may have led to violent altercations. These security details may have been needed, even if Joe Brooklyn doesn't know specifically why. Taxes go to much dumber things than guarding a former prosecutor and current mayor.

December 10, 2007 at 4:18 pm |
  13. Eric (State College)

While I’m no fan of Giuliani by any stretch, I don’t think it’s fair to judge unless the whole story is out. Who knows if those mobsters were after anything connected to him…Ok, I can barely play devils advocate with a straight face…Of course he let it happen! I’m sure there are plenty of people in NYC that have faced death threats and you don’t see cops protecting all of them!

December 10, 2007 at 4:19 pm |
  14. Boris Paul

As a NYC tax payer, I am not satisfied that Guilliani didn't act improperly. If Guilliani were born in a different era, he would have been an absolutist dictator who sees in black and white and acts accordingly. Power hungry egomaniacs ALWAYS misuse public funds.

December 10, 2007 at 4:19 pm |
  15. Josh

No nothing improper was done, its not like they hid all of the expenditures and keep it a secret for the people.

December 10, 2007 at 4:19 pm |
  16. Michael Keane

Jack,

I saw the Giuliani interview with Russert. Here is my take:

Giuliani's answers to those questions were the closest thing to Bill Clinton's "It depends on what your definition of is, is." Several times in the interview it seemed to me that Rudy was silently praying "Feets, don't fail me now," when Russert brought up the subjects of protection and expenses for shuttling Judith Nathan around and for failing to figure out Bernard Kerik's hanky-panky escapades.

And this guy thinks he has the qualities necessary in a president? Has George W. Bush's mediocre performance as president so lowered the bar for others?

December 10, 2007 at 4:19 pm |
  17. David

Sure it is fine. Any person of concern (i.e., politician or other celebrity) should follow the advise of the person/organization providing the protection service. Where the costs were billed? That up to the local police and the procedures they follow at the time to ensure the safety of the protected person. This is a dead-horse topic, and folks should stop beating it. You gotta beat, much higher politicians have had similar situations handled in a similar fashion.

December 10, 2007 at 4:19 pm |
  18. Barbara

Jack,

He sounds like most of our politions. Use taxpayers money for everything except what it should be used for. Sounds a little like Bush huh?? He wants to go to Washington as our president so he can carry on in Bush's footsteps!

December 10, 2007 at 4:23 pm |
  19. Cameron

Jack-

Come on. If there was a credible threat to Judith Nathan, she should have been protected. I don't believe Giulianni went out of his way to hire extra security, nor do I believe this is a serious issue when it comes to his candidacy. Let's stick to the important questions like immigration, health care, education, THE WAR...I want to be satisfied that nothing improper is done with my tax dollars on these issues. I enjoyed "It's Getting Ugly Out There" and hope others have the chance to read...

December 10, 2007 at 4:26 pm |
  20. Doug Kelley

Our country has at least a few thousand pressing needs which were more deserving
    of taxpayer dollars than looking out for Mr. Giuliani's then-mistress, who even
    competed with his wife for the use of the Mayor's mansion. And the guy had the
    nerve to publish a book with the title LEADERSHIP!

December 10, 2007 at 4:26 pm |
  21. john brooklyn ny

for giuliani to say that he did not about the securtiy that his mistress was getting
    is a bunch BS jack... now he sounds like that dummy that's sitting in the
    white house.

December 10, 2007 at 4:26 pm |
  22. jabenson

I think the bigger question is this: If a person can lie on a daily basis to, not just one spouse, but several spouses whom they have vowed to love and be faithful to, how can we expect him to tell us the truth about anything. I believe his greatest strength is his ability to lie without remorse – and that is not a compliment. He's been lying for most of his adult life about the very core of who he is. How can we expect anything more of him? As Dr. Phil loves to say (and it is so true) "The best predictor of future behavior, is past behavior." Think about it.

December 10, 2007 at 4:29 pm |
  23. Todd

If it's 100% true that the NYPD wanted the security, and they (Giuliani & Nathan) simply complied, then I guess it's ok. But what's the chances that it's 100% true? He's a politician and he's running for president, umm.....yeah. I think it's hard to ever be completely satisfied with any politician's explanation of issues like this. Maybe he doesn't consider oral sex to be sexual relations either. Who knows.

December 10, 2007 at 4:29 pm |
  24. Che Guevarra IV

If at the time this event involved the female escort of the other Rudy Guiliani, (the unheard N.Y. City Health Inspector) how fast would that Guiliani have been fired then prosecuted of felony fraud? His ethical accounting practices smell too much like that years GOP star sponsors... Enron and Arthur Anderson.

December 10, 2007 at 4:29 pm |
  25. Daniel P

In light of the hostage situation at the Hillary campaign, it is clear why protection for those connected to key people is imperative. We do not want people to force the actions of people who hold some influence. While the relationship between the mayor and Judith Nathan is debatable, as are the threats against him, if possible, it is prudent to err in the side of caution. We are all free to make judgments in regards with the mayor, about his policies, and his connections. Yet, we should hold respect for his and others' safety, and respect for the institution of the presidency which he seeks, which needs all the respect it can muster now.

December 10, 2007 at 4:30 pm |
  26. Svet

Whatever the issue in question may be, we can be assured that Rudy Giuliani will deny the charges. He is not one to ever admit wrong-doing. The last thing we need in the white house is another one of those.

December 10, 2007 at 4:31 pm |
  27. Cameron Curtis, Los Angeles

Giuliani- has gone above and beyond most politicians, by acknowledging the existence of a mistress (his soon to be wife) during his marriage. I quote the great film "Some Like It Hot" in regards to whether or not it was improper for Judith Nathan to have security detail, "Nobody's Perfect." I certainly do not expect Giuliani to be "perfect" either.

December 10, 2007 at 4:33 pm |
  28. David Cissner,San Bernardino,CA.

Rudy cheated on his wife and the citizen's of New York. What makes anyone think that Rudy's not cheating now?

December 10, 2007 at 4:34 pm |
  29. Karen Ormes

Mr. Cafferty,

In answer to your question: NO! This alley-catting former mayor is nothing less than a disgrace to the tax-paying public! We hardly need a man of his true ilk as president of this already ailing nation! Let's look for much cleaner and greener pastures...

Karen

December 10, 2007 at 4:35 pm |
  30. Cameron, Los Angeles

Jack-

How much money did President Bill Clinton spend on intern Monica Lewinsky while in office? How much money did JFK spend on Marilyn Monroe while in office? Certainly we should at least let Giuliani get into the office, before we begin go over his bill.

December 10, 2007 at 4:36 pm |
  31. Ben

What does it take to wake up Americans? This man was responsilbe in part for the deaths of recue workers in the towers with his complicity over the lack of radio funding and him being the owner of the faulty equipment his company sold to the city yet he has the calones to run for president. Maybe that's why he needs mistresses to cater to those big cojones at our expense.

December 10, 2007 at 4:36 pm |
  32. Sandy Howery

As stated above, his lips are moving so why believe him? I've never seen anyone running for office who is as unbelieveable as this guy – – "ultimately" he says all the expenses were paid for by the Polcie Department (when, as soon as the report was made public?) – who cares? The expenses should never have been out there to begin with and his saying that he "knew nothing" reminds me of Schultz on Hogan's Heroes.

December 10, 2007 at 4:36 pm |
  33. Todd L.

Tim Russert, who is usually pretty good, totally let Giuliani of the hook on this one. He was allowed to filibuster and wrongly keep the focus on whether or not his “mistress” had received threats. The point was never whether or not she needed protection. The point was whether the NYPD should provide it at taxpayer expense. I’m quite that there many, many citizens of NYC that have received threats. How many of them get a police escort? If Giuliani felt she was in danger then he should have sprung for a bodyguard from a private security firm and not stick the taxpayers with the bill.

December 10, 2007 at 4:38 pm |
  34. Patrick, Tucson.

Well Jack, Gluliiani still leads in the polls backed by most of the Evangelical Christens, INTERESTING!!!

December 10, 2007 at 4:40 pm |
  35. larry

Don't supprise me at all jack, He's just another republican, that can't do no wrong, Yet all the american people, keep on voting these jerks in office.

December 10, 2007 at 4:41 pm |
  36. Alex

When Rudy was chief of the criminal division of the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. he made frequent trips to Miami, Florida when he was dating Donna Hanover. It appears that Rudy charged those trips to the government on the pretext of conducting business. He would show up at the U.S. Attorney's Office in Miami for a brief period of time and then disappear.

December 10, 2007 at 4:43 pm |
  37. Joe Harvey

Of course Rudee did nothing wrong.

If that pesky police department hadn't discovered the illict affair there would have been no need to protect Judith. It's all their fault, the pushy SOB's. The police can be so nosey, costing us taxpayers thousands in overtime and entertainment costs.

Someone should ask Rudy to divulge who is being protected and taxied around for him at the moment.

Everytime I see Rudy answer his cellphone during a speech, I wonder if this is the call when he tells Judith they are done.

December 10, 2007 at 4:45 pm |
  38. ben

i think Mayor Guiliani, is and was a great mayor for NYC but if you decide to run for President then you know everything you once thought was buried under the rug come up and you can't run and hide. i'm glad he answered the tough question but at the same time i don't think he's right for President.

December 10, 2007 at 4:47 pm |
  39. David A. Morse

Jack:

This does Not suprise me in the least. Rudy is just one more Republican that got caught acting like a jerk. Why do Americans keep voting the moral migits into office? We are voting for a President, Not a Pastor In-Chief.

December 10, 2007 at 4:47 pm |
  40. Cameron Curtis, Los Angeles

Jack-

Not only am I satisfied that nothing improper was done, as a former New York resident I'm willing to put my money on it...wait...have I already done that?

December 10, 2007 at 4:47 pm |
  41. Joan

When people ask me about Rudolph Giuliani's candidacy for President I usually reply that I doubt his support crosses the Hudson.

Under the skilled interview questions posed by Tim Russert, that New York bias was revealed as Rudy apparently invoked some kind of 'noblesse oblige' required when he was Mayor of New York City. Such bravado, such hubris. I doubt that kind of attitude will impress the heartland of America – on the other side of the Hudson.

December 10, 2007 at 4:57 pm |
  42. Barbara. Rocky Hill, CT

Let's see.. With two mistresses under his belt, this adulterer he has proved that vows and oaths mean nothing. Do you think he will act any differently as President than he has with his wives and family? If he can't commit to them, how on earth can we expect him to commit to us. I'm not so sure we should want his current wife as First Lady either, she is just as much a cheater. I see no honor in this duo and I shudder when I imagine them (each married three times) as the first couple or as role models for our country’s youth.

Now, what was it he said about his religious beliefs??

December 10, 2007 at 4:57 pm |
  43. Tom Bulger

I think the real security question to ask is how did Bernard Kerrick convince the mafia not to kill Giuliani. They voted not to kill him. Why was that?

December 10, 2007 at 4:59 pm |
  44. Jeff

Absolutely not. Rudy's gang obviously tried to hide the expenditures for "Love-bundle" security. Furthermore, he has switched his position on fundamental issues for no other reason than to win the nomination, not because of true revision of beliefs. He's dishonest, and that's really the bottom line, isn't it?

December 10, 2007 at 5:04 pm |
  45. Patsy Fisher

If Rudy and Judy ever get into the White House it will be run by whores and hoods. That is all the types of people Rudy seems to associate himself with. And we were worried about Bill Clinton. Good Grief.

December 10, 2007 at 5:20 pm |
  46. John

Jack –

I think the most outragous aspect of the Giuliani security story is the name of the fund that the expenses were charged to. Wasn't it a "Defendant Legal Fund" of some kind. Why was Giuliani's security expenses being charged to that fund? How cynical is that, bet the cops got a kick out of using that money. This is just another example of Giuliani's slimy background, and he want's to be President.

John

December 10, 2007 at 5:37 pm |
  47. Irv

He made millions as a result of his mayour's office so let him reimburse NYC for all the questionable expenses. A NYC resident who WAS a Rudy fan.

December 10, 2007 at 6:15 pm |
  48. wtexm

Doesn't matter, he's not going to be the Repub nominee anyway. The religious right will not stand for it.

December 10, 2007 at 6:29 pm |
  49. walt

jack ,Its time to let our leaders at all levels know that we trained 150k Iraq military 100k Iraq police and Armed BOTH.We caught there leader which was Hung and it Time to leave within 6 months .We should leave 1 aircraftcarrier off shore to support There new Pres.with airsupport ....NO troops except intell.These others who want to keep this War going just to make money and let men and woman die should get there Tails over there themselfs and put there lives on the line.Get out now 250,000 U.S. armed Iraq police and soldiers can not takecare of a few thousand terroist something is wrong.Our military and civ.contractor have given enough.Our people at home want to takecare OF OUR OWN PROBLEMS and not the profiteers who want to keep this War going

December 10, 2007 at 6:42 pm |
  50. G.R.

Giuliani is exactly like most other Washington wannabees. They want their own protected, pander to those with ethics like them, and think that if they stand up and "say" they're for America's patriotic majority, then everything is gonna wash over and they're gonna look like pure white doves.

Wrong! They've forgotten that America's patriotic majority have more daily steadfastness than they'll ever have.

These people have forgotten about America's patriotic majority in favor of other nations who are spitting their citizens at our nation's interior at a huge rate of speed.

These invaders don't even like America or Americans. They have hidden agendas that could bury our nation into oblivion.

But these Washington wannabees "have" to have their families protected, don't they?

How many of them believe that their families will be safe when the growing invaders reach numbers grow to the degree that not even they will no longer be safe?

At that point the only message they will hear is "welcome to reality in the U.S.A.!".

December 10, 2007 at 6:49 pm |
  51. Barry

I've voted since the Nixon administration. I thought it could not get worse back then. I never cease to be amazed. If I were a Republican I would be asking myself if this guy (Guiliani) is the best our country has to offer. We as a country have had the crap beat out of us by a corrupt, inept administration. The last seven years has been a parade of "screw the rules, they don't apply to us anyway" thugs and scumbags. I'm so disgusted I'm ready to move to New Zealand. Please people, no matter what side you're on, please vote for someone with character and intellect that will return the US to it's former greatness. Right now we look like we should be on Jerry Springer.

December 10, 2007 at 9:32 pm |
  52. Katie

If you're gonna have a secret life, as Mayor Giuliani did (and for all we know may still have), then you don't want to leave any kind of paper trail. In order to have this security paid for, he left a paper trail so obvious any halfway competent reporter could follow it. He should have done it out of his own pocket, in cash–and not asked for receipts.

December 10, 2007 at 11:26 pm |
  53. jim rogers

no i donot think we should pay for his entertainment.these public service people should not be paid or guarded with our money ,to fool around .

December 11, 2007 at 12:01 am |
  54. jim

Jack, fair is fair, when bill was chasing the babes around the white house he was also burning up tax money, didn:t he also have security, don:t get me wrong, I think both parties are selling our country down the river; but fair is fair, so why just single out Rudy, jack if I had your job I would expose them all; thanks jim

December 11, 2007 at 12:26 am |
  55. John

It's not the first time it's happened and won't be the last. I like Rudi... I would want the taxpayer to pick up the tab on security for my mistress too. Rudi will be on the ticket. And for the extreme religious right.... that's stupid. There's nothing wrong with having a gorgeous mistress.... This is the 21st century, and we have religious factions heldover from the Protestant Reformation.

December 11, 2007 at 11:15 am |
  56. Joan Nicholson

I trust him less than any other candidate. He would be worse than Bush as President.

December 11, 2007 at 11:42 am |
  57. John

I don't trust any of them. We know what the hypocrites do, it doesn't matter which party Republican or Democrat. When a woman is finally elected President she will have her lovers too. This is not just a male trait. Liars tell more lies and the rich get richer and usually it's by lying.
    John
    Pampa, TX

December 11, 2007 at 12:15 pm |
  58. Ahtram

It didn't hurt old Rudy that he knew exactly what his girlfriend was doing every second of every day, did it? And he got to impress Nathan with his importance at the same time, didn't he?

Guiliani was doing nothing more than stalking his girlfriend on the public's dime.
    Shameful!

December 11, 2007 at 6:23 pm |
  59. W B in Las Vegas

just WHAT is the difference between Rudy Guliani providing a police car and driver to chauffeur "mistress Judy" around BEFORE she was his wife and while he was STILL MARRIED to the woman that was ALSO getting NYC Police car sevice, AND NY State Comptroller ALAN HEVESI who PLEADED GUILTY to felonies stemming from his use of state employees as chauffeurs and aides to his wife?

sounds to me like a case of "what's good for the goose is good for the gander"

December 11, 2007 at 7:14 pm |
  60. Howard Smith

Jack,
    Who decided to call a group interview moderated by the media a "debate"?
    Does no one know the real principles of debate?
    Maybe Denzel Washington's December movie can embarass the media into realizing that words really do have meaning!

December 12, 2007 at 4:11 pm |
  61. Klaus Rieper

I still think that Mr. Cafferty should have an 8:00 p.m. show of his own. He dares to ask the tough questions. A rare commodity these days, indeed.

Good luck, Klaus.

Klaus Rieper
    Destin, FL

December 12, 2007 at 5:16 pm |
  62. Bruce Patterson

I understand the interest of politicos in trying to sway the seeminly large bloc of "undecided" voters to their side. And the media – including CNN – seems really hung up on this.

But consider this: it is very common that there is a group of people in any population incapable of making up their minds. They flit from one thought or opinion to another – that is, if they aren't eternally "clueless" – or disinterested!

This is part of what sets leaders apart – leaders make decisions. But there is a large group of people who can't – even when confronted with clear arguments.

So why is it that "we" – that is, the media – give our heads to these people at all? We certainly wouldn't choose anyone from this group to be Mayor, Congressman, Senator – and much less – President.

Currently, these can't make up their minds! And for many of them, indecision is a chronic condition!

So why does the media keep thinking they will these people are the oracles shedding wisdom on which person will be President?

December 13, 2007 at 4:41 am |
  63. Philip R Cary

Jack I think all the candidates should take a rest. No more ads, radio spots or any other comments till after the south Carolina vote. Yet the democrats should do what they did during the thanksgiving break. Keeping bush from nominating people to posts without congress approval.

PHILIP
    waunakee, WI

December 13, 2007 at 5:33 am |
  64. b mathews

WHY DIDNT TIM RUSSERT ASK RUDY IF IT WAS TRUE THAT HE WAS RUNNING DOWN THE STREET ON 9/11 BECAUSE HE HAD NO WHERE TO GO SINCE HIS COMMAND CENTER WAS LOCATED IN THE WTC? OR WHY HE TRIED TO STOPPED THE CLEANUP AT GROUND ZERO AFTER THE GOLD AND SILVER WERE RECOVERED EVEN THO THERE WERE STILL LOTS OF UNRECOVERED BODIES. AND WHY WHEN THE FIREFIGHTERS PROTESTED, HE TRIED TO HAVE THEM ARRESTED!! AND WHY HE THEN HAD THE REST OF THE BODIES SENT TO A GARBAGE DUMP. AND WHY HE CLAIMED TO HAVE SPENT AS MUCH TIME AT GROUND ZERO AS THE RECOVERY WORKERS WHEN HE REALITY HE SPENT MORE TIME AT YANKEE STADIUM. THESE ARE JUST A FEW OF THE QUESTIONS NO ONE HAS ASKED...BUT SHOULD.

December 16, 2007 at 5:17 pm |