How much safer do you feel 11 years after 9/11?
September 11th, 2012

How much safer do you feel 11 years after 9/11?

By CNN's Jack Cafferty:

9/11 changed our world forever.

But a lot more has changed in the 11 years since those scary moments immediately after the terror attacks.

Think back to the days of duct tape, Homeland Security's color-coded terror alerts and anthrax scares.

Going through airport security can still be a hassle – even invasive – but for most of us, that's where the inconvenience ends.

With Osama bin Laden and many of his lieutenants gone terrorism is no longer a major source of worry for most Americans. It has been replaced by fears of an economy gone south and high unemployment.

But the threat of terrorism is far from gone.

In a piece called "A Stubborn Terror," Newsweek magazine reports on how al Qaeda keeps fighting back, with bin Laden's successor Ayman al-Zawahiri calling the shots for this global terror network.

Al Qaeda continues to grow in areas like Pakistan.

The group based in the Arabian Peninsula has staged three attacks on the United States, including the infamous Christmas "underwear bomber."

In Iraq, al Qaeda carries out bombings every month.

In North Africa, it has joined forces with other Islamist extremists and the groups are training terrorists from Algeria, Morocco and Nigeria.

In Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, a new al Qaeda group is trying to start a war between Egypt and Israel.

The fastest growing al Qaeda operation of all is in Syria, thriving on the Civil War and chaos. It carried out more than 60 attacks in June alone.

But the priority remains attacking the United States and Europe.

As Newsweek writes, "In fighting terror, our team has to stay lucky 100% of the time. Al Qaeda needs to be lucky only once."

Here’s my question to you: How much safer do you feel 11 years after 9/11?

Tune in to the Situation Room at 5pm to see if Jack reads your answer on air.

And, we love to know where you’re writing from, so please include your city and state with your comment.

Posted by
Filed under: September 11
  1. Obama is a joke , Alabama

Actually , I felt more safe before 9/11 than after

September 11, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
  2. lou

I remember all my family and neighbors stockpiling cash and food after 9/11, just in case. At my son's soccer game right after they lifted the ban on flying, all three fields of screaming kids and parents went deadly silent when a small plane innocently flew overhead. We all avoided malls, stadiums, and large amusement parks. Though all those things seem silly now, I confess I still check out the folks around me on an airplane flight.

September 11, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
  3. DT - Saint Paul, MN

I never felt unsafe. Believe it or not, I don't let the media think for me. You can waste a good deal of your life being scared if you listen to the news.

September 11, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
  4. Gary H. Boyd

Quite a bit safer Jack. The steps taken to enhance security at just about all levels and venues are good. People are more vigilant and, for better or worse, foreigners, particularly arabs, are no longer just a face in the crowd. They get the most attention because it was arabs who brought down the twin towers.

Gary in Scottsdale, Arizona

September 11, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
  5. jk in MN

My fear didn't change after 9/11. What good is fear, althought the Bushies sure used it to sway the sheep. I always have watched for odd behavior. It's not ever going to be possible to stop everything. I've been please to see how counter terrorism has been handled in the Obama Administration.

September 11, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
  6. Debra Tenney

How can you feel safe with the Iranian Red Guard in Mexico and South America working with the drug cartels? How can you be safe when there are ranchers and farmers in border states who are being killed by illegals and drug cartels? How safe is it when our borders are so wide open that ranchers and farmers don't dare go on parts of their own properties? How safe is it when our government officials allow, and even welcome, organizations who they know are funneling money to terrorists?

September 11, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
  7. Russ in PA

When the government ends the war on terrorism – and the war on drugs, poverty, and all the rest – I'll feel much safer. It must be getting clearer to people that the US and all of it's wars are the larger threat to our security.

September 11, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
  8. Allan Placerville, ca

far more security, but terrorists will find a way to do their deeds. So I don't feel any safer. There was plenty of warning before 911 but it happened.

September 11, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
  9. Mel - Houston

I don't feel much different, safer or less safer, after 9/11; considering the ammount of money America has thrown at the problem. In reality only people that live in high profile cities need to worry or if you frequently use some form of mass tranportation. Lets face it the people in Paducha, KY have very little to worry about terrorism unless the Hatfields and the McCoys are at it again. People that live in New York, Washington, DC or Los Angeles are really the only danger zones. The terrorist want to make a statement and get as much publicity as possible. Their not going to bomb Abbott, TX in a million years.

September 11, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  10. Jenna Roseville CA

How much safer do you feel 11 years after 9/11?

I feel far safer with Obama in office and Democrats than GW in office with the chickenhawk Republicans.

I know that Obama isn't one to fluff off any threats to our national security, like GW did.

And Obama has proven that he has been tough on real terror and not "manufactured" terror of GW.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

September 11, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  11. Gary in San Jose, California

I feel very safe. Our warrior recently ended his active service and is now home preparing for college. We are delighted to be able to hug our body guard every day.

September 11, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
  12. RickFromDetroit

I feel as safe today as I felt before the 9/11 attack. The only effect an occasional terrorist has on me, is it will liven up the the sometimes boring news on TV.

September 11, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
  13. Tom, Switzerland

I fly a lot, not just within the US but also abroad. Practically no place is as bad as the US in terms of being hassled and even threatened by "security" (aka TSA). I've had several suitcases ruined by them, the contents mangled by them and then the whole thing just taped up in bundle, and live plants broken up and killed (as if they could explode). But worst of all the respectlessness I've seen some elderly people (even way into their 80s) treated, including patdowns and the works, makes me feel nothing but anger. America has gone totally overboard in its pursuit "security", which today I feel threatened by more than I ever have from terrorists.

September 11, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  14. Pat from Wyoming

September 11, 2001 is certainly a date that "will live in infamy" to paraphrase FDR.
    But we have other fears -– cancer, super-volcanoes, loss of loved ones, global warming, grizzly bears. Terrorism is not as big a worry in the national consciousness as it was back then. Life goes on. Humans are survivors, that's what we do best. We are not made to live indefinitely with paralyzing fear.

September 11, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  15. John from Alabama

Jack: I feel 100% better, but constant vigilance is required to maintain this nation's safety. We as a nation must resolve to seek out those who would harm the USA, and stop them. We need to check out our suspicions for those in our nation, and those groups outside our borders to be prepared. We lost our innocence on 9/11, just as our grandfathers and grandmothers did when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941. Not just good intelligence, but great intelligence work will do.

September 11, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  16. Butterflymom Robertson

I feel less safe and am now paranoid of my own government since the Patriot Act, and it being extended by the President.

September 11, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  17. Mysterious

After my personal experience with the TSA at Virginia's International Airport, I'd say yes. I felt like a complete criminal at that place. I was scanned, patted-down, all of my belongings thoroughly searched, and my hands and feet were wiped down with some sort of solution by gloved TSA agents because I was "alarming." I had on a summer dress and sandals, one overnight bag and a purse because it was an emergency, overnight trip. You'd think a pair of sandals and a sun dress would be kinda difficult to hid exposives, huh?

September 11, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  18. Pete in Florida

Have you seen all the recent news reports about how many advance warnings Bush ahead of the 9/11 attacks? I feel MUCH safer now that Buah is gone, and Obama's in the White House and has already killed so many terrorist leaders. But if Romney and the GOP take over the government this November, we can expect a return of the "you should be afraid, be VERY afraid" refrain as the Republicans decide which countries to attack.

September 11, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  19. Evan

Of course i feel much safer. Who wouldnt?

September 11, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  20. Amitoj Singh

New Jersey
    Well is what we call "terrorism" decreased since the tragic events of 9/11? With state-sponsored terrorism around the world, and domestic terrorism in the US as seen this past year on the rise, I see only terminology has only changed. From the events in Aurora, Colorado, to the massacre at the Sikh Temple (Gurdwara), in Wisconsin, our safety has to be questioned in different ways. So the answer is that I feel very much the same since 9/11, when I was 11 years old. Times and terminology definately change.

September 11, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
  21. Pete in Georgia

I feel safer than I did on Sept. 12, 2001.
    I felt safest on Sept. 10, 2001.

September 11, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  22. Steve, Clifton, Virginia

Because we have eliminated so many Al Qaeda leadership in the past three years and the number of security measures implemented since 9/11, I feel a great deal more safe.

September 11, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
  23. jade ceraolo

wat happened was very tragic and my heart goes out to all the people who lost somebody on this terrible day in 01 may they rest in paradise.... i was only in kidergaten when all of this happened but i am in 11th grade and i realize how this has affected my generation....

September 11, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
  24. Joe In MO

Well, Jack, we just killed another high placed al qadea leader in Yemen. Nothing can make us totally safe, but I do think we are effectively fighting back.

September 11, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  25. Kris Weber

As we stand a little more diligently watching our borders 11 years after our Nations worst tragedy, we take time to say a pray for all those we lost, their families who still grieve and all the troops who continue to serve and protect us around the world. I must say that feeling safe and being safe is up to each American individual. We can no longer blindly expect that the Government will protect us. As with the hero's on flight 93 who saved us further lose with their actions we too must do our part to ensure that our country stays safe. Holly, Michigan God Bless the USA

September 11, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
  26. calaurore9

After the spate of shootings over the past few years, it's clear that I feel safer from so-called terrorists, but less so from the gun-toting guy next door.

Carol in NOrthampton, Ma

September 11, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
  27. ken, atlantic city, nj

Since 9/11 200,000 people have been murdered in the u.s.a. A woman is raped every 2 minutes in the u.s.a. We have spent 3 trillion dollars killing people in iraq, afghan, pakistan and yemen but the killings still continue in the u.s.a. TSA has not intercepted one terrorist trying to board a plane. People continue to commit mass killings at schools, churches, movie theaters, and malls. I do not feel any safer in the u.s.a. 11 years after 9/11.

September 11, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
  28. Phyllis G Williams

How much safer do you feel 11 years after 9/11?

“..God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind” – 2nd Timothy 1: 7
    "There is no fear in love;..perfect love casteth out fear...He that feareth is not made perfect in love"- 1st John 4: 15-19
    “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be
    removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea” etc – Psalm 46: 1-3
    The peace of God, which passeth all understanding shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" – Philippians 4: 7 ; Romans 8: 37-39.
    * “Christ in me the Hope of Glory” – Colossians 1: 27
    *******

September 11, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  29. Fred Colby

Jack, I feel much safer and more confident in my government's best efforts to protect us since 2009. Obama did what Bush blatently ignored...finish prosecuting the war in Afghanistan and taking out Usama Bin Laden.
    Fred
    Menominee, MI

September 11, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
  30. Michael Bindner, Alexandria, VA

About the same. After the fourth airliner was brought down because the passengers resisted, it became clear that the new al Queda plan could not work. I suspect we would be as safe with less security. The problem was that FBI and Army intelligence personnel who had information could not share it because of supervisors who did not want to cause a stir or who where jealous of their energetic employees. There are still bosses like that in the government – indeed, they may have multiplied. I feel safer with my fellow citizens acting more boldly than the U.S. Government (which two years ago shut down the metro system for a blinking Santa ornament.

September 11, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
  31. BOB IN OHIO

Yes, even though the government (military-industrial complex) doesn't want me me too. If we all feel safe then they have no justification for continued out of control defense spending. Maybe we could use that money on education instead, perish the thought.

September 11, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
  32. Jim in Denver, CO

Jack,
    About the same as back then. Safe is a relative term and feeling. Do I feel like I could be hurt in a terrorist strike, not really but you never know. Do I feel financially safe, maybe a little bit more in comparison to 11 years ago. Do I feel personally safe, maybe a bit more but not because of what was done during the Bush Administration.
    The main thing I'm worried about now is the upcoming election and whether or not Congress will get it in gear and do something for the citizens of this country and quit the infighting.

September 11, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
  33. Loren, Chicago

I never felt unsafe, even as I drove back from New York on the 12th. That may seem naive, but there was as much risk from the Weatherman in the early seventies as there was from the Islamic terrorists, you were either at a potential target or you weren't. I feel safe in the knowledge that Americans as a people respect each other enough that we will use democratic means to resolve our differences and not resort to force, notwithstanding the occasional fool.

September 11, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
  34. Richard Texas

Jack there was no guarantee when I woke up this morning that today would not have been 9-11 number 2. The same with tomorrow or the next day. Crazy people do crazy things all the time. Call them Al-Qaida or some other name terrorists and killers will always be there, It is only a mater of when and where they decide to twist off.

September 11, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
  35. Ken in Pinon Hills, California

With the government we have in Washington of late, we have much to fear, and feel safe. We have a candidate for President, who seems to want to stir up the Cold War with Russia, AKA the Soviet Union. Then there our Congressional minds that are akin to a Mexican combination dinner that has the tacos missing, along with the hot sauce.

September 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  36. Name Ed from California

Jack, I don't feel safe as long as the republicans have their finger on the trigger. I wonder why Willards boys didn't serve, or him for that matter. It's easy to send other kids to their death, but not their own. We need to stop these wars and stay out of other people's business.

September 11, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
  37. Doug Ericson

We have 535 of the worst terrorist in the World now. They are our 435 US Congressional Representatives and, 100 US Senators. So I do not feel safer now, nor do I feel the situation will improve anytime soon. The wall of fear in this country has never been thicker. It isn't fear of the international terroist, it is fear of the ones we elect at home.

September 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
  38. BrainTurnedOff

As long as people like James Holmes can legally buy weapons and ammunition and then kill 12 people and injure 58 more in a movie theater – no I don't feel safer.

September 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
  39. Dave, Kissimmee, FL

This is not a simple question. We are certainly no safer from terrorists with our wide open borders and the Keystone Kops running the TSA, where Janet Napolitano thinks the “…system works perfectly…” because the shoe bomber was an idiot who’s bomb failed to detonate and the underwear bomber’s bomb was prevented from going off by passengers at the very last second. Obama, to his credit, is slowly taking out the animals who attacked us, (something the Bush/Cheney administration refused to do) so that is keeping them busy running from us instead of attacking. But they are still hoping. And that makes me hope Romney doesn’t get in since his stated goal is to do the Bush thing all over again. But at this point, I am more afraid of my own government, the so-called Patriot Act and the Supreme Court than any terrorist.

September 11, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
  40. Kim, Dodge City, Kansas

al Qaeda is still succeeding in America. They have changed our government and social structure forever and continue to be a massive drain on our economy through military action and the Homeland Security costs. Pakistan is our most dangerous threat and we can't even neutralize them. In order for me to feel safe, we need to finish the job and end Islamic extremisim any way we can.

September 11, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
  41. Ronald Noe

Al Qaeda is on the run, no one wants the top Jobs in the group. And a big part of that is due to Obama's Leadership in DOD! DOD didn't want to go, but Obama said do it! The Drones are wiping out the group all over the Middle East and now Yemen took down the second in command on the Arabian Peninsula! And some of these so called Hawk Republicans are upset we are killing American Citizens who have turned their backs on the US and wage war against us, Really? Are we safer, you bet! Are we better off, you bet! Other than National Security, Millions are receiving Health care and going to school knowing it won't bankrupt them. Romney is an A^%, everything he says is a sound byte or an out and out lie, but you guys will never call him out on one!

September 11, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
  42. SFret2@yahoo.com

We're more vulnurable. Our President will not address the movement of Iran through Iraqi Airspace into Syria. He won't back the Iranian's or Syrians who want freedom. He's given Egypt over to radicals. And, they get more and more educated in war technologies every year.

September 11, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
  43. George in PA

I don't feel safer because the United States has more enemies now than ever. Terrorism is on the rise and it's doubtful that we'll ever get back to how things were pre-2001.

September 11, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  44. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

We won't let these fanatics beat us into a state of fear and not go places. Actually, there are enough sick and deranged people running around killing people and we never know when one is going to shoot up a grocery store or a movie theather. It is a lot more dangerous to drive around town with all of the people texting, talking and doing other things than worrying about terrorist attacks.

September 11, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
  45. Curtis in Philadelphia

Jack, I feel as safe today as I did 11 years ago, difference is that I'm more aware today. Now that I've answered the question, how about you and I putting on a couple of Sikh turbans and go check out tonight's midnight showing of Batman, what could go wrong?

September 11, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
  46. Robert in Florida

If you feel safer today thank President Bush not Obama. It was the Bush programs and policies that have kept us safe. Were it up to Obama all those programs and policies would have been dismantled.

September 11, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
  47. Paul, Parry Sound, Ontario

I've always felt safe. Canadians are too boring to kill.

September 11, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
  48. David, Tampa

No difference. It is just as dangerous to walk outside today as it was 11 years ago, and that is just from our citizens.

September 11, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  49. Pat in Michgan

I for one am more afraid of my own Government conspiring to kill me in my old age because I present no profit motive to the elite who have been bleeding me dry for their corporate warfare for decades.

September 11, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  50. Paul in NC

I feel much safer, particularly since Bush left office. With him, Cheney, et al "keeping us safe" I was terrified. Creating the Dept. of Homeland Security, especially with Tom Ridge in charge, was a blunder. A beauracracy that large probably spends more time fighting itself than fighting terrorists. I am well aware that there are still many threats out there and an attack could occur at any time. But it seems the Obama team has a much better handle on the situation than his predecessor.

September 11, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  51. Frank Poynton from Los Angeles

Jack I grew up living with the threat coming from behind the dreaded Iron Curtain. We actually practiced duck and cover in grade school. In order to remind everybody that the Russians had atom bombs destined for our country, each week air raid sirens around the city would blast at the same time, I recall it was Thursday at 10 am. As for al Qaeda and the threat they pose all I can say is that duck and cover and air raid sirens have been replaced with the hassle of going through airport security, etc. Yes I feel safer, a lot safer knowing that this Administration continues to kill terrorists wherever they sleep and does not take their threat lightly, unlike the previous neocon staffed administration.

September 11, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  52. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Jack: Feeling safe is an "illusion." When we play and feel safe, we create a world of the utmost insecurity. I would rather be "brave" and stay a safe distance!

September 11, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
  53. Terry in Virginia

I feel less safe today but not necessarily from outside forces. Our elected representatives have been working hard to diminish the freedoms hard won by our ancestors, like the right to vote. Members of both parties are more interested in staying in office than in helping the country recover and thrive. They'll lie, cheat, steal and do whatever it takes to benefit themselves and their party. Today I heard from my state representative who informed me that The Democratic Party needs to be reminded that our country is a Christian nation. He believes that God is a Republican. I don't share his belief but it's so typical of how low these politicians will stoop to denounce one another. Just as Nero fiddled while Rome burned, our elected representatives seem so focused on their respective parties winning that they fail to see that our infrastructure is falling down around us; that thousands of men, women and children are starving and homeless - not by choice but because they are collateral damage in the games politicians play; that millions are looking for work while Congress can't be bothered to pass a jobs act if it means cooperation between parties; and that many voters are tired of both parties demonizing the other to the point we'd rather not vote or vote against someone whom we consider to be the lesser of two evils. Terrorists? I'm beginning to think that word now applies to the very people we vote into office to protect us.

September 11, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
  54. cy gardner

As long as arrogant clowns like Bush & Rumsfeld aren't in charge, we're safer. As long as war profiteers like Cheney aren't calling the shots, we're safer. Who made friends with Libyan terrorist Muamar Quadafi and believed him when he said he destroyed his wmds? And who cooperated with other nations to oust Quadafi and uncovered large caches of wmds? Who got us into an expensive war with phony claims about wmds in Iraq? And who ended the war and cut off the gravy train for war profiteers? And who wasn't worried about where Osama bin Laden was and who ordered him brought to justice? We are safer under the incumbent president than under the "government doesn't work" clowns in the GOP. cy from arlington, va

September 11, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  55. chris

my feel of safer has not chenged since 9/11 we got more to go thru at the airports an d alot of money spent and some if not alot wasted in fear of feeling saffer

September 11, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
  56. Ray in Knoxville

Jack, I feel as safe now as I have at any time since 9/11. We know we are targets, we know an attack can happen right here in America, it doesn't matter who our president is or who is handling security. The simple knowledge that extemism is rampant in this world makes us vigilent.

September 11, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
  57. Ron G from Florida

The media has convinced me that I am not safe from terrorism if I fly or live in a big American city or if I
    chose to visit certain countries. The media wouldn't lie, maybe exaggerate a little, the media loves to exaggerate.

September 11, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
  58. Karl in Flint, MI

We will never completely get rid of the terrorists, so we have to protect ourselves and I think all government agencies are doing a great job. That said, we as citizens also have to be more alert to potentially dangerous situations, if we see them, and also not fall into the fear that the terrorist want to instill in us. If we let fear takeover, they win regardless of whatever else they do or don't do.

September 11, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
  59. Jim Charlotte NC

How exactly has life changed. During WW II we had practice Air Raid Drills several times a week. Then in the 50's and 60's we had to sit under the desk at school to protect ourselves from the "Atom Bomb". Nothing is changes except the players.

September 11, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  60. Paul From Austin Texas

I feel safer because of all the men and women that are on the frontline fighting terror. We should all be proud that some will take that step forward to stand up for us all and show that America is not affraid but will track down anyone that attacks us in anyway. Thank You all of you that serve so we can continue to live the way we want. On 9/11 I was already to "old' to go but did try to find ways to help those that could.

September 11, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  61. Gigi Oregon

I feel much safer under President Obama. But, I do have a silent fear that a home grown attack is being taken against the middle class by using methods of pulling the wool over the eyes of the masses. The only reason unemployment is high is because all those jobs being shipped overseas for greater profit for U.S. Capitalist's greed. It's not President Obama's fault as they would have you believe. Propaganda used by the Party of the capitalists and the ignorance of their members. We are better off today from foreign terrorists attacks and we don't have to have thousands die in combat thanks to President Obama AND the Navy Seals... Yes, ninety two percent are employed, although at a lower rate of increase than before. If there was no demands for jobs, wages would increase. The tax cut for the rich has made the rich wealthier today but the middle class is shrinking. Yes, I feel safer from foreign terrorist but the politically red power in the U.S. is consuming my thoughts and clouding my peace of mind.

September 11, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
  62. Doug, Vancouver, Wa. USA

Very safe . I think the general public is more aware now. Survivors & peoples paths that those terrorists crossed, showed us not to be afraid to speak up if you think there could be a problem. and flight 93 taught us "LETS ROLL". We will respond without hesitation, on the ground or in the air, to protect ourselves and our loved ones.
    I Hope the world will grow up soon and realize all wars and terrorist attacks are simply a" failure of diplomacy".

September 11, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
  63. Dr, George in Italy

I was living in New York City on September 11, 2001. I had woken up late that morning due to jet lag from a trip to Italy, and my elderly next door neighbor yelled to me from his front yard in broken English. "The buildings, they knocked them down............they both down, no more," gesticulating in agitatation, this Calabrese man jumping up and down. Half asleep, not understanding what he was talking about, I put the T,V, on to see an surreal image of one of the Twin Towers, come crumbling down, like a wall of hot butter, with a semi solid consistency and the color having a s'lver dark metallic hue. It took me about 7 minutes to realize what was happening and that the images I was seeing were real! I was not very anxious or worried about more terrorist strikes eleven years ago. but I certainly avoided going into Manhatten. I would take my car into New Jersey, and when I saw Arabic men working at the gasoline pumps, I did experience fear that they could be Arab terrorists concealing themselves as workers at gas stations in New Jersey;for after all hadn't a few of the 19 terrorists been traced back to having been hidden in Jersey City, New Jersey! I feel safer now 11 years later about terrorism, but noone can ever feel completely secure or safe on this Earth, or ever has felt so since Earth was created. Saying a prayer helps tremondously!

September 11, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
  64. Robert Speigner (Pittsburgh, PA)

I feel safer with Obama than I would with Romney. Romney's too much like Bush, insular, entitled and not intellectually curious. Like Bush with Neo-Cons and Iraq, he's liable to focus on what's important to the most rabid slice of the Republican party–forgetting about what's important.

September 11, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
  65. Mark from New Jersey

We had men like Rumsfeld and Bush attacking the wrong country and throwing up their hands at catching the actual culprit all the while using the event as an excuse to limit real freedom and rights in this country. Now I feel better. We have a president with a little sense with the perserverance and courage to go after the right people, but we still have the legacy of reduced freedom.What happens when on all our national wisdom we elect another blockheafored and we don't have the rights we had be? Maybe I don't feel safer after all.

September 11, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
  66. John from Santa Maria, CA

al Qaeda or Al Capone, both are small time criminals and we are going to wipe all of them off the earth. I am not afraid of them, nor ever will be, in fact the truth is that by now they are very afraid of us.

September 11, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  67. David of Alexandria, VA

A lotsafer. When I think how unsafe we were in 2001 and oblivious to that fact, I get chills. Now, thanks to the lives of thousands of us, tens of thousands of other people (complicit and innocent), a couple of trillion dollars and a long lesson in humility, we seem to have the malignant terrorist tumors in remission and relatively contained. But, like all cancers, you're never really sure if it's gone - continued dilligence, early detection and precision intervention will likely be our way of life forever.

September 11, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  68. don from AL

I feel safer because people seem more willing to report aberrant behavior or unusual occurrences to authorities and law enforcement. We still live in a free society not a police state and the "honor system " requires that citizens REPORT outlaws
    or suspects to law enforcement.
    This has come to be regarded as "squealing" but it's the other half of an honor code for a free society.

September 11, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  69. Dale N.M.

I don't feel very safe at all, homeland security is a joke, our ocean and land borders are unprotected, I got this gut feeling there are sleeper cells coast-to-coast waiting for the order to attack.

September 11, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  70. sativa619

Jack,

About as safe as I've always felt but politicans and pundits (you) keep trying to remind us of these so called terrorists to keep us afraid. Good job...

-Matt

September 11, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  71. A Southern Lady - North Carolina

There is no doubt that this county and Europe are top targets for terrorists. However, with clear-thinking, calm and cool President Obama in the White House and Dick "let's bomb everyone and start another war" Cheney out of the picture, I am much more confident for our safety. President Obama is a thoughtful negotiator who understands we can not win in the Persian gulf by military action and, as difficult as it will be, we must have a negotiated settlement of the many problems of that area if we want lasting peace. Having Mitt Romney in the White House greatly concerns me as he has already stated he wants to bomb Iran and take out their capacity for global conflict. This should only happen when every other alternative has been tried and our NATO allies are with us 100%. This is why I support the re-election of Barack Obama.

September 11, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  72. Marilyn from Powell, OH

I feel a lot safer now that George W. Bush is not our president.

September 11, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  73. Jeff In Minnesota

I flew today on a business trip and I have to say, I feel no safer or threatened today than I did when I sat in the airport on that morning eleven years ago. We swapped a private security program paid by the airlines for a government run program that is no better or worse than what we had pre-9/11. However, based on reports, what we do have is a much larger bill for securing our airports and airplanes, but in my mind, we got nothing for it.

September 11, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  74. todd in DC

I don't feel any more/less safe. Bin Ladin is dead, Al Queda is disorganized enough not to try such an attack on the US, and frankly, I'd much rather live my life rather than hoarding duct tape and plastic wrap.

September 11, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  75. Mikaël

Obama got Osama! Now I feel safer.

September 11, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  76. Bellah

As a person of color my fear has risen. not because of 9/11 but because of the continued fear and mob mentality of this country

September 11, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  77. Richard Texas

Jack my fear is not terrorists. My fear is the knee jerk reaction of our government to terrorism. For example attacking Iraq after 9-11. We all know that Iraq had absolutely nothing to do with 9-11 and there were no WMD's found which was why supposedly we attacked Iraq in the first place. If there had been WMD's found in Iraq, America and Britain would have been the ones responsible for giving them to Iraq in the first place. I think our own government is Americas greatest fear.

September 11, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  78. Jarbeau

I fear the government's overreaction to the 9/11 attacks more than I ever feared a terrorist attack. In the name of safety, the U.S. has spawned a new generation of hatred around the world.

September 11, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  79. joann Locascio

What really scares me is another republican president who will ignore PDBs and lie us into another stinking war to enrich their cronies in the military/security industrial complexes.

September 11, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  80. Ron WPAFB

September 11, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  81. Renee, Illinois

Why do you ask the same question every year? I don't feel any safer now than I did before 9/11, I could get hit by a drunk driver tomorrow. Better question: when are we going to learn to hold on to the solidarity we felt as a nation – we are all Americans and we stand together – that we felt all too briefly after 9/11? When does that become who we are, all the time, instead of letting the continued threat of terrorism divide us politically? Divided we fall? That means we're letting them win without making another strike.

September 11, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  82. Tom Bulger, Canandaigua, NY

With Obama as president, concerns are wasted unless they are for Bin Ladens.

September 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  83. Gary in IL

And if we eliminate all the terrorists in the rest of the world, an idiot can still paint his hair and shoot up a movie theatre in Colorado. I guess in the grand scheme of things, I have always felt safe compared with people in most of the rest of the world, even immediately after 9/11. So much violence out there, in many ways we Americans are blessed with security many others do not have. But I dont dwell on safety concerns – I enjoy life treating every day as precious, take my shoes off at airports, and thank God for the men and women who risks their lives for us. In this world, it has to be enough.

September 11, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  84. Ronald Noe

September 11, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  85. Pam from Texas

Safe as I can possbily feel. But I also worry about the "hate" groups we have within the borders of our country. I often forget about OKC and Timothy McVeigh. I also worry about our relations with the world if the Republican ticket is elected in November. As we all know it takes absolutely nothing to set a fanatic off.

September 11, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  86. Jay

Actually, I never even give it a thought. And neither should you Jack.

September 11, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  87. us_1776

I feel a LOT less safe.

Not from terrorists.

But from things like the Patriot Act, the Dept of Homeland Security, the hated TSA.

We have allowed our liberties and our rights to be eroded away in the name of mythical terrorists.

September 11, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  88. Lee Ernst

The world as we had known it years ago will never be the same again. Then we closed our eyes and we are still doing so today. I am afraid we will have another attack and we will again readjust.

September 11, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  89. Randall

Well to begin with, there's virtually no terrorism threat to the US and never has been. 9/11 was a tragedy, and tragedies happen. Tragic lightning strikes have taken more lives here than terrorism since 1990.

The nice thing about lightning strikes though is that for some reason they don't prompt the creation of a police state that spies illegally on its citizens, locks them away without trial, invades two countries, and bombs numerous others.

Our reaction to 9/11 damaged us much more than Al-Qaeda ever could have dreamed to, and I feel far less safe today than after 9/11.

September 11, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  90. mario rene torres

This Country of Ours is and always will be Free and Brave under God.
    Destroy Us the American People and you will be Destroying The Best Of this World.
    Everybody Love Us but They are Jelows thats All, You can see why they love our movies
    our way of living Disneyland they come even risking the live illegaly some time to be part of our
    Freedom they love us all when they attack is becouse they are jelows

September 11, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  91. MJ Taylor

I am actually more frightened of my fellow Americans who use their religious beliefs as the foundation to push for repressive and limiting policies here at home; and hint, the aren't Muslims.

September 11, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  92. Mary, St Paul, Minnesota

With increased awareness comes a decision for action or not. We are safer because we are aware of what could happen here and now. No longer the apathy of its at risk over there...and not here.

September 11, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  93. Chris H

I am British, though I am now a US citizen. On the day I said "Catch them and kill them. Double funding to the CIA, find the perps wherever they are, kill them in a spectacular fashion and never confirm you did it. Make the idea of attacking the US unacceptable." Then I went to work like normal. Don't pander to terrorists by giving them what they want. Get on with your lives. Leave the experts to find them and kill them. Instead the US gave the terrorists the gift of eleven years of weeping and gnashing of teeth. GWB flushed the economy down the toilet by making grand gestures in countries that had nothing to do with the problem and ripped up normal life in the name of security while doing exactly what the terrorists wanted. Look at Britain after 7/7, nothing changed. That's how to deal with terrorists.

September 11, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  94. Dave

I personally feel safe...maybe even safer, except when I'm reminded of the reasons for the metal detectors and scanners at airports, public buildings and big events. I'm not sure that 100% safey can ever be achieved. However, I do remember a lot of folks back during the 2008 Presidential election warning that if Barack Obama were elected, he wouldn't do much to keep us safe. Through his use of drones to target foreign terrorists, his policies have managed to cripple the Taliban and Al Queda...or at least that's what we've been told. Bin Laden was killed on his watch...and I believe Bin Laden was capable of masterminding another attack in Europe or the US.

September 11, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  95. Barb from Iowa

I personally don't feel threatened at all. That's one of the perks of living in very small town Iowa instead of one of the big cities. I would not be surprised if as a country we are attacked again, but I'm not going to loose any sleep over it anyway. If I live my life in fear of terrorists, I have let them have power over me. I won't do it.

September 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  96. Larry Boston MA

Jack, so long as the US plays World Police Force, especially in the volatile Muslim World, we will be prone to attacks overseas and here at home. Even our Egyptian allies are attacking us now in our embassy in Egypt. Our politicians have never learned that staying out of Mideast-Muslim affairs will actually make us safer. As the Aussies say, when the water is murky, don't thrash about, cuz there could be crocs lurking...

September 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  97. UtahProf

Honestly, as more of the world seems to have significantly much less respect for us, I feel less safe and definitely much less "free". Our Founding Fathers would be appalled – not only at the politicians and Government for destroying the foundational Liberties of both the country and it's citizens, but at the citizens themselves who have let this happen to their once great, and hard fought, Republic. Our historical foundation is strong (the Constitution) but I am now, more than ever, convinced that the political/electoral processes in place are not powerful enough to "fix" the situation we find ourselves in today.

September 11, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  98. Bob, St. Thomas PA

I'd feel safer with Ron Paul or Gary Johnson in charge on the premise that they would get away from our "mainstream" foreign policy of interfering in other countries business. The TSA and DHS are nothing more than security theater as long as the borders are wide open. Right now, I'm more "terrorized" by what Big Ben and the Fed are doing to my hard-earned savings than anything al queda can do to me.

September 11, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  99. Rudy Soto

I feel less safe with the so called leaders we have. a change to the whole government is needed to ensure the people stay in control and not some lousy group of people who are more willing to call veterans terrorist, then the terrorist! We need to clean the House, Senate and the White House! These individuals will allow anyone into this country, they do not care!

September 11, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  100. Frank

You can't fly anywhere iwthout taking off your shoes and having nudie pix taken of you. You can't have a telephone coversation or send an email without it being recorded by the NSA. My fears have been fully realized.

September 11, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
  101. Jack, Lancaster, Ohio

Mr. Cafferty:

Complexity builds in it's own demise. The more bureaucracy that is created to protect us, the safer are the bureaucracies ! Did I spell stuff correctly ?

September 11, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
  102. Larry Boston MA

The lack of secruity along our southern borders is a real threat because we have no idea who is coming across..... If Al Qaeda wanted to send in some sleeper cells, it would be easy to do so from Latin America.

Our greatest threat may be a suitcase sized dirty bomb - and that would make 9-11 seem like a skirmish. I wish we were spending some of that defense money back home in the US --

September 11, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  103. Ed in Reno, Nevada

I feel better with the thought that our leaders are now taking reports of possible terrorist attacks seriously as opposed to blowing them off. But I have never felt unsafe, before or after, 9/11/2001.

September 11, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  104. Abbie

I don't feel at all safer, just poorer. Two wars, eight years of awful economic and foreign policies and the huge, expensive debacle called the Department of Homeland Security have cost the United States more in security than enhanced it. DHS was supposed to coordinate the intelligence agencies and streamline intelligence gathering. HAH! Just ask any career person in any of those agencies – the bickering, turf wars and segmentation still exist. What's to feel safer about?

September 11, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  105. Christi from Texas

If there was any doubt Bin laden won, then just look at the TSA and the Patriot Act. I am more terrified of the US government than any terrorist.

September 11, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
  106. John in COS

Jack, I felt safer than our paranoid government wanted us to feel after the attacks. In fact, I did not let them change my behavior, I flew a couple weeks later and continue to fly domestic and international even with the hassle it now is. If you change and start being suspect of everything then the terrorists won.

September 11, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
  107. Paul, Houston. TX

Since 9/11, I believe anything can happen at anytime in this country because the lack of trust in our government, law enforcement, corporations and the way we treat each other. With illegal aliens allowed to work in this country by the corporations and government we do not know what could be going on.

September 11, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
  108. Larry in Houston

How much safer do you feel 11 years after 9/11?
    about as safe as BEFORE 9/11 . – - – To be perfectly honest, everytime I see or hear about this country interfering with other countries business, (such as the middle east affairs) it makes me feel unsafe. We should not be the Police of the world. (No wonder Ron Paul had a huge following)

September 11, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
  109. Kirk (Apple Valley, MN)

Actually, I feel just as safe today as I did just before hearing about the first plane flying into the Twin Towers. Despite George W. Bush forming the largest (and as far as I'm concerned the most useless and invasive) government bureaucracy in the Department of Homeland Security and the fact that the "intelligent" agencies of this country still don't communicate, nothing concrete has been done to ensure the safety of this nation and it's populace.

September 11, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
  110. Ron K. - Houston, TX

I don't feel a single iota safer than prior to 9/11. The Homeland Security agency along with T.S.A. are a bad joke and a horrendous waste of money. The only way that we will ever be safe is when the countries that harbor and support terrorist are more afraid of us than we are of the terrorists!

September 11, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  111. lynnej in nc

I don't feel safe and never did.

As an African-American in this country I have long understood that terrorism however it is presented is a 50/50 chance each and everyday.

The only difference now is that the rest of America joined us where we have been living 11 years ago, something that I don't wish anyone.

We have to face the fact that government can't keep everyone safe. It can, if those in charge listen, minimize the effects after the act. It is here and we must deal with it.

September 11, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  112. MFStout

I feel safer with Obama in office and George W. out of office. My only fear isn't al-Qaeda, it's Romney and Ryan.

September 11, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
  113. Donaldo in ATL

Jack

I refuse to live in paranoia, so I do not worry about things I can not control. One of my biggest concens, if I had any, would be on our water & food resources. We never hear much about this which is probably good, but all you need to do is look overseas at nations suffering from lack of both and the results speak for themselves. We should learn the lessons of others and remain vigilent and highly prepared...quietly into the night.

September 11, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
  114. gmenfan54

I'm more concerned about going to a movie theater or a house of worship.

September 11, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
  115. joe smith

have always felt safe..the media exagerates, and spins everything, just so the defence industry in the US, and Israel can sell something..

September 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
  116. JiminNM

None. The real enemy is not being confronted. John F. Kennedy identified and confronted the real enemy of freedom and liberty and died for it. The people want to be comfortable instead of free. The people for the most part are takers and users.

September 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
  117. joe smith

you are your own worst enemy..

September 11, 2012 at 5:00 pm |
  118. Brian Smith

I feel just as safe as I did before 9/11 – but more importantly, I feel and truly am much poorer than I was back then.

September 11, 2012 at 5:00 pm |
  119. Ben in Boston

I feel extremely safe. I'll admit I didn't feel comfortable riding the T at times after 9/11 and particularly during the political convention in 2004. But today... I feel extremely safe. God bless America!

September 11, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
  120. Richard Oak Harbor, Wa

I'm afraid tourists will throw trash in the fountains and sit on the names of those lost on 9/11. Unemployed inner city youth will no doubt illegally harvest coins in the pools meant for good wishes. Coils of razor wire along the top might help.

September 11, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
  121. Larry L

President Obama's mature leadership and masterful management of our War on Terror makes us all safer. His role as Commander-In-Chief has been performed brilliantly – working in close cooperation with the Joint Chiefs and using intelligence data and technology to preserve the lives of Service-members and protect our shores. He has become the terrorist's worst nightmare. Good job Mr. President!

September 11, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
  122. Uncle Wilber

The 9/11 attack was a shocking tragedy. But, I don't remember ever feeling "unsafe" on American soil. Many Americans, and not just those of us who have taken the oath, realize that our liberties must be defended from all enemies, both foreign and domestic. The threat to our American Dream didn't begin or end on 9/11. Walking around in fear is giving terrorists what they want. Not on my watch. Semper Fi.

September 11, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
  123. Sandstone

"You dont in reallity, Jack! They use the phrase so often 'In the wrong place, at the wrong time!' What does that mean?? Some invite danger by visiting countries they think bring them closer to the action, yet still think they're safe?? Why??? Your as safe, as the guy who just passed you!! Unless he was the Villain!!"

September 11, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
  124. Peter, Tarrytown, N.Y

I'm an old man I am not going to spend my remaining years looking over my shoulder for some possible 'terrorist' and miss out on the things in front of me.

Bin laden has won if we consider what we've given up for the allusion of safety

September 11, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
  125. Dave

Safe??? I feel about as safe as a 18 year old virgin sitting in a bar with 50 members of Hell's Angels motorcycle gang debating who gets to rape me first. Thank you Mr Obama for the great [?] job you are doing.

September 11, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
  126. musings

I think most people have forgotten the anthrax attacks, which reached right into the mailbox. My son's SAT was in the mail facility in New Jersey (as were all the other tests taken that day in the nation) and quarantined due to the presence of spores, which actually killed several people including postal workers. Remember? And that one was domestic, but it was used to take us into the Iraq War. People worked hard to connect it to bin Laden and to connect bin Laden to Saddam. Remember? Remember the lies and terror emanating from our leaders to take us into that war, because we had tasted the "weapons of mass destruction"? It made me review what I thought of 9/11, I'll tell you. But you say you don't remember the terror that comes by mail? You only know about TSA. Don't forget. Our fears from 9/11 were manipulated afterwards, and we were led to war.

September 11, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
  127. Maine Liberal

Osama Bin Laden is dead ... enough said

September 11, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
  128. Jeff from Idaho

I don't fear for my safety, it's rooted in my own faith. That being said, I worry less about the "threat from without" more than the "threat from within". Just mention the word "Islam" or "Muslim" in America and the rabid start posting vitriol immediately. The hate, the same hatred we accuse others of harboring for us ironically, just oozes from blogs, forums and comment channels. We've been conditioning ourselves to be suspicious of everything ... and everyone it seems.

I think eventually it will overspill, our hatred and intolerance, and we'll have another serious incident ...

September 11, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
  129. Brenda Walton

I feel safe with a Democratic President in office. Once Bush was gone the safety net came back, for obvious reasons of course, that we are ALL aware of.

September 11, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
  130. rick atlanta

The greatest danger we face is open borders. How many arabs trying to look mexican have learned to speak spanish and infiltrated into the U.S from Mexico? Some day they will strike us in a coordinated way. Yet there are those who don't want to secure our borders. How foolish it is to be politcally correct! We will be sorry some day. At 71 years old, I hope I'm note alive to see it.

September 11, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
  131. WVLady63

No one feels safe in America these days. We have a so-called president in the White House that continually bows, scrapes and apologizes for America. No wonder there is insecurity and fear in our country. We used to "walk tall" and proud, now with Obama in the White House we crawl and cower. If you are an illegal alien and/or a foreigner from any other nation on earth, you have nothing to fear within our borders for our government gives everyone BUT natural born Americans preferential treatment.

September 11, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
  132. steph

i was 8 when the twin tower went down and honestly i remeber being very scared not knowing what would happen next but with everything home land security has done to try to make it safer does help but i will never feel as safe as i did before not because i was a little girl but because this happened in my life time and it changed the life of millions
    stephanie king- kansas city ks

September 11, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
  133. Michael

I feel as safe as I think one can after 9/11. Post 9/11 we are aware in a way one cannot back step from, or return to before 9/11. But, with Bin Laden dead, and the organization's leader constantly removed or on the run, I feel as safe I could ever hope to feel for myself and my family.

September 11, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
  134. JimFeet

I feel far less safe today than immediately following 9/11/01. In fact, Al Quaeda clearly achieved their goal of destroying the American way of life. They did it by having us do it to ourselves.

We have spent an estimated $1 trillion on homeland security since 9/11. Yet the total number of direct fatalities resulting from terrorism numbers but in the low thousands. Meanwhile the number of deaths from cancer and automobile accidents (to name just two) runs into the hundreds of thousands – or more. In fact, twice as many American service members have died in Iraq and Afghanistan as deaths on 9/11.

How many lives might have been saved had we spent $1 trillion fighting cancer? How much better would our economy be if we hadn't completely disrupted our way of life worrying over a threat that is the merest fraction of the danger we face in our daily commute?

September 11, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
  135. Burbank

I feel about the same as I did 10 years ago. What scares me a lot more is the way the government is attempting to cover up the pre-earthquake sulfur smell in California that is covering a couple hundred miles from the Mexican border to Ventura county. They are lying and trying to tell us it's from the yearly fish die-off in the Salton – NOT!

September 11, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
  136. Cary

We should be very afraid. A radical religious group wants to take away our rights and send us back to the middle ages. I'm talking conservatives not terrorists. Terrorists are over there, conservatives are over here.

September 11, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
  137. NSL

You can't live your life in fear so I just keep moving on with my life.

That being said, I don't feel safer now, but I am more angry. I'm angry at the expediency of lawmakers who have perverted the US Constitution in the name of security. I'm angry at Homeland Security which treats us all like criminals and which performs little more than theater while insisting they've made us safer. I'm angry at every American who has willingly given up their Constitutional rights for nothing.

Benjamin Franklin said it well, "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

September 11, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
  138. George

No, I feel less safebecause of TWO threats: Foreign and domestic terrorists regardless of their personal religion, and our current administation who wants a disarmed population through something called "gun control." George Washington said it very well.

“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”

- George Washington, Speech of Jan. 7, 1790 , published in Boston Independent Chronicle, Jan. 14, 1790

In the late 1700s, the government and the people were pretty evenly matched with muzzle-loading blackpowder rifles, and that's why the American Revolution was successful and we have the Untited States of America instead of still being colonists subject to the British monarch. Today, the government has machine guns, silencers (Google 'Ruby Ridge'), M1 Abrams tanks, AH-64 attack helicopters, yadda yadda. We, The People, don't, and are not allowed to.

That's a large part of the current problem in Syria – Armed (and tyrannical) government, disarmed population.

I don't know how far we are from that. The next election may make a difference.

September 11, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  139. Tony

I didn't feel terror during or after it. There will always be nutcases in the world who will do things like this. If you feed the terror, they win. I have more fear of what all organized religions have done to this world with its superstitious nonsense.

September 11, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  140. Larry in Minneapolis

Well Jack, a little, but whether it's coming from the Middle East or Russian cyber hackers we need to be vigilant. Consider too that there is a theory (Zeitgeist) that creating unconquerable terror entities, along with the public giving up a lot of freedoms, is nothing more than a methodology for keeping the citizen population under control. I tend to think that has a ring of truth about it, and fits nicely with discouraging all kinds of critical thinking.

September 11, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  141. Grahm P

It's simple Jack-I pray we never fall asleep at the wheel again!

September 11, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  142. Bob Gilliland

I feel safe from the terrorists, it's the Americans I worry about.

September 11, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  143. sleepingbear47

How much safer I feel is hardly the point. The reality is that, counting 9/11, my statistical chance of being harmed by a terrorist is a tiny fraction of my chance of being struck by lightning. This does not mean that our government shouldn't be extraordinarily vigilant. But it's a damned poor reason to give up our Fourth and Sixth Amendment rights, as we have under the Homeland Security Act. We have been needlessly frightened into giving up our right to habeas corpus and to a fair and speedy trial and our freedom from unreasonable search and seizure.

September 11, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  144. Cee. La

I dont feel anymore unsafe now, than before 9/11.....I trust the president in matters of national security, he has proven he will act on those who do us harm.....besides laying awake fretting and wringing my hands wont help matters.....so I will take it as it comes.......

September 11, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  145. Thomas

I never felt unsafe because of terrorism. What makes me feel unsafe is the expanding police state the USA has become and the blatant lies and corruption that pervades our government institutions.

September 11, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  146. Jyothi, St.Louis,MO

Being ignorant about terrorism is the only way one can safer, which I am not. Learning about terrorism everyday, I feel a lot less safer now than I ever did.

September 11, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  147. Bob Burke

today we have more knowledge about al Qaeda, and less fear. Less because we can get our heads around the organization, which we were unable to do immediately after 9/11. I feel safer because of what we know now, but forever vigilant we must be.

September 11, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  148. Jason

I dont feel safer with domestic terrorist like the man who shot people in the movie theater dressed as a clown. i dont feel safe with the economy the way it is. We have not had attack by al qaeda or any other terrorist organization since 9/11 so I feel safe, you can always be murdered without a foreign attack but by other Americans. The biggest terrorist threat to me are felt by the Republican party which has fallen to religious extremism that promotes hate and violence, they are the worst terrrorist

September 11, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  149. Anthony

Since Obama stopped going to intelligence briefings, then absolutely not. Just what is this guy thinking ??

Atlanta, GA

September 11, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  150. Placida Robinson

I am so tired of terror. There's foreign policy terror, financial market terror, mortgage and student loan terror, unemployment terror, neighborhood crime terror, narco-terror... Is there any other terror I've missed of haven't experienced? I am so disappointed that our government hasn't been successful in ensuring peace, stability and freedom abroad and at home.

September 11, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  151. Reginald

I remember waking up to these attacks and crying for all the victims on this day. The anger I felt then is gone but my heart is still heavy, even watching the events all over again today brought tears to my eyes. Do I feel safer today yes because Osama Bin Laden is dead and we have a president who spent his first term looking for this coward and bring him to justice. Thank you navy seals, Thank you Obama.

September 11, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
  152. Tyler from Denver

Jack I know we are less safe. I am willing to fight them here and not over there. Shut down all visa's from the middle east nations. Bring our sons and daughters home and put the trillions being spent there into our nations future and I know we will be safe. Do it not and we will perish by the real theat to this nation, DEBT!!!!

September 11, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
  153. greg penna

I've always felt safe. The odds of dying in a terrorist attack are 25 times as great as dying in a bathtub accident. There's a reason the word terror and terrorist are related. Now excuse me, I've got to go take a bath.

September 11, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
  154. oldpatriot

Americans are cowards, we fear everything and everyone and have come to hate each other more than ever before. Our empire is not long for this world.

September 11, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  155. Jasmine

Jack, I Personally feel safe today. I think we as a nation have grew a lot wiser & cautious when it comes to our national security. Technology has given us an even bigger advantage in stopping terror attacks & tracking down the terrorist who plan them. & Now thanks to our President & wonderful troops in killing Osama Bin laden we now send a message to all terrorist that if you attack innocent Americans we will follow you to the gates of hell, & Justice will be served!

September 11, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  156. BJ Blinston

All I know is that both Bush and Obama have done their job and not allowed another incident to occur on our soil. That should equate to feeling safer for the grand majority of us.

September 11, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  157. Larry Boston, MA

I don't feel any safer, just lucky.

September 11, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  158. imzzzz

I never felt unsafe. I feel ripped off for all the billions wasted on this. No WMD, no need for that war. No need for the ridiculous size and SCOPE (read: privacy violations, non co-operation w/ those who need information) of Homeland Security.
    You can spend all that money and time and can't grab an invisible threat. I don't like it, I'm just sayin....

September 11, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  159. Woody Stemms

We don't feel a bit safer today than we did pre 9/11.

It's only a matter of time before the treasonous, neocon, pimps for Israel push us into yet another war to "make the world safe for Zionism".

September 11, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  160. Jake in Omaha

How much safer do you feel 11 years after 9/11?

Bin Laden was sent to hell by our president and our military.I am sure many terrorist are not sleeping well these days.
    Just that thought should make us feel safer.

September 11, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  161. Pameal

As the mother of two marines, I don't feel safer at this time due to what this current President and this administration is doing to weakend our military. By cutting into our military funding and needs He is weakening our nation. By cutting our military he is not allowing good marines/soldiers to re-enlist and move up in rank but forcing them out. No I don't feel safer, but am worried how open our nation will be if Obama is reelected for another term. America needs to wake up before it is to late!

September 11, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  162. randy m

I told my son that we are much safer now. Just like with the economy tho, there is alot of hope that the government has my interests in mind,

September 11, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  163. Mchele

How safe do you feel in a Movie Theater, a Church, School or visiting the Empire State Bldg? I think we do a excellent job terrorizing each other. Maybe the folks that hate us caught on, stood down and concluded that we might just destroy ourselves.

September 11, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  164. Name*Mark

For God sake Jack, take Nigeria off your list. There are no terrorist there. What they have is common tribal conflict during electoral seasons.

September 11, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
  165. mr. darby,meredith n.h

Jack my friend, no i dont. what scares me the most is when these guys decide to use chemical/ bio weapons. its coming, and at that point we may have no choice but to take out most of the middle east,crazy? yeah, maybe! so was Hitler..

September 11, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
  166. Paul

I didn't feel unsafe before, but I feel less safe now. Not because of the Isalmic terrorists but because of what is happening to our country as the Government keeps slowly eroding our freedoms under the false guise of "protecting" us. Stories of Homeland Security buying 1.4 BILLION rounds of ammunition, armored vehicles and armored pill box surveillance points makes me wonder just who is fighting whom?

September 11, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
  167. brain smith phd

How much safer is not the question. The question is CAN we be safer. The American military–industrial complex is still locked in on fighting wars against State-based enemies. Why? Because it is far more lucrative to manufacture weapons and weapons intended to fight against another nation involving hundreds of thousands of troops, thousands of air craft and hundreds of war ships. As such, the American military–industrial complex is disinterested in fighting against terrorist because largely are small groups of individuals buying intelligence and weaponry in small black markets. What black market would you find an aircraft carrier. Until the American military–industrial complex accepts the days of conventional war we will forever be at the mercy of shoe bombers and subway gas canisters.

September 11, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
  168. Bruce in Gunnison Co.

To be honest, I never felt like I was in harms way in the middle of the Rockies, then or now. But I do travel, as my family and friends do. Everybody is doing everything possible to reduce any threat. If we give into fear, then the terrorists win. I don't understand what they hope to accheive through their actions, but we can sure show them it's not working.

September 11, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
  169. MnTaxpayer

The odds of being the vitim of a terrorist attack are so small as opposed to the odds of being killed in an auto accident, or severe weather, or disease, or random violence, that I don't feel any more or less safe than I did before 9/11. I feel less safe about our rights to privacy and the over-reaching power of the DHS.

September 11, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
  170. ggecko25

Well, Jack, regarding how safe I feel now (as compared to those 'halcyon' days before 9/11/2001), I have to admit that I'm in a prolonged state of 'stunned acquiescence!'; i.e., I just accept each day as a gift from God ... 'while I wait for the other shoe to drop!' Specifically, once you "do your homework" researching (as best you can) what exactly happened (and why!), you'll overwhelmingly conclude that we STILL do NOT have ALL the facts! An awful (and I DO mean 'awful') lot of events had to fall into place for such an egregious act to occur. The more you understand the links between those events, the more you realize that something just isn't right with the 'official story.' And, with each passing day, THAT terrible realization makes me increasingly uneasy. An' THANKS for askin'!

September 11, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
  171. Tom K. From Beverly Hills

I do feel safer since 9/11 here in the US, but if traveling abroad, I would feel very unsafe. Forget about that trip to see the pyramids! The Bush and Obama administrations have spent Trillions to protect us, which is rarely mentioned when talking about the problems with the economy. They both get a bad rap. Unfortunately, a terrible act of terrorism on 9/11/01 and its lasting fear has cost the US and other countries not only in lives lost, but in economic troubles, specifically unprecedented job losses and high unemployment.

September 11, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
  172. becky - Las Vegas, NV

Sadly we are no more safe today than we were 9/10/01. It is just that the extremists are bringing the fight to the US shores more than before. We are no longer the World War superpower who can "run over" a country with bombs and soldiers. Vietnam proved that. So we have curtailed them in using aircraft as weapons. So what? Extremists aren't afraid to die. They welcome it and I doubt it will be long before major cities see suicide bombers like in Iraq and Afghanistan today and Ireland, Israel and Indonesia, not so long ago.

September 11, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
  173. Karin

I love how our Government thinks terrorists only come by plane.....How stupid are we? Our Borders are wide open and if they don't think they are smart enough to cross the Border with 13 million other Border crossers.....We are just asking for another 9/11....Thanks Obama and Napitalano....it will be on your Stupidness if this happens but of coures the media will hide it

September 11, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
  174. Brian Smith

9/11 was an inside job. 47 storey buildings collapsing at freefall speed into their own footprints is something that just does not happen every day, In fact it never happens outside of controlled demolition. Isn't it also odd how BBC reporter Jane Standley reported the "collapse" over twenty minutes before it actually came down due to "fire and damage"? For those still in the dark, I am refering to the 47 storey WTC Building 7 which "collapsed" at 5:20 pm on September 11, 2001. This building was adjacent to the twin towers, and was part of the WTC Building Complex. All of this is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. The entire 9?11 story stinks to high heaven from start to finish.

September 11, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
  175. marybeth, massachusetts

"Safe(r)" is a relative term, Jack. You'll have to be more specific. I don't think 9/11 changed anything. There are still nuts in world who wish to do ordinary, non-political and non-military Americans harm for all kinds of reasons. Some of these nuts happen to belong to Al-Queda, are Middle Eastern and Muslim while others are home-grown fruitcakes. Remember Timothy McVeigh? Remember David Koresh? Remember the Unibomber? Remember some of radicals of all political stripes in the 1960s (both those who wanted to end the Vietnam War and make America more open, to give blacks, women, and other minorities more freedom and opportunities AND those who vowed "segregation now, segregation forever" and sought to keep blacks disenfranchised and segregrated)?

There are terrorists in other countries too–Britain fought the IRA for 40 years, longer if you count all of the years that the poor Irish Catholics were oppressed in Ireland. Serbian terrorist Gavrilo Princip, who worked with the Black Hand and other groups seeking independence from Austria-Hungary and desiring home rule assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his morganatic wife Sophia, one terrorist incident of many in the years leading up to 1914. This act finally sparked World War I, which proved to be a disastrous event for the European countries involved and many of the monarchs.

My point is that terrorism is nothing new, and we'd know that if we bothered with history in school.

I'd like to think that I'm safer now, but given the incidents of the Shoe Bomber, the Underwear Bomber (both stopped before there were bigger problems) and the bombing in London in July 2007 only proves to me that all any self-respecting terrorist has to do is be patient and wait. After any incident, police, military and others are hyper-vigilant, screening toddlers and patting down 88 year old grannies while waiving those of whom they should be suspicious through. When there aren't any incidents for a while, everyone calms down and things start to get back to normal. Security becomes perfunctory, or perhaps the terrorists just get smarter/more creative.

I can tell you that I feel LESS SAFE after 11 years of war. War is not the way to solve these kinds of problems, and as the British learned with the IRA, going to war only makes long memories longer, sows the seeds of hatred deeper, and leaves enemies plotting revenge for some unforeseeable future.

September 11, 2012 at 5:49 pm |
  176. Nora McDowell

I do not feel safer.
    I believe most of what has been done by the US and Western powers have made tensions with the militants worse and have probably created more terrorists.
    I can understand the US going after Bin Laden but most of the military action since 9-11 was not to that purpose.

September 11, 2012 at 5:52 pm |