How much do the two major political parties really care about you?
August 7th, 2012

How much do the two major political parties really care about you?

By CNN's Jack Cafferty:

It's election time and politicians will do - or say - anything to get your vote.

Starting with President Obama and Mitt Romney all the way down the line, lawmakers on both sides of the aisle want you to believe that they feel your pain.

But it's an open question if any of them really do.

Ron Paul was the rare candidate who actually connected with voters these past two election cycles. He attracted a ground swell of support from people who were looking for some real answers. But it was never enough to propel him to the next level.

As for most of us, the two major political parties - Democrat and Republican - often seem interchangeable.

And a new poll suggests that the vast majority of voters are staying loyal to the party they supported four years ago, with just a little switching sides.

The Gallup Poll shows 9 percent of 2008 Obama voters have switched to supporting Romney this year, while 5 percent of McCain voters have switched to Pres. Obama.

The groups most likely to either switch presidential preferences - or be undecided - include: Hispanics, Asians, independents, political moderates, Eastern residents, those with a high school education or less and unmarried men.

Pollsters say that because loyalty to the president is slightly less than loyalty to the Republican candidate is the reason the race appears to be tighter now than in 2008.

The deepening mystery is why after continually being disappointed by both parties so many people continue to support them. What is wrong with us?

The list of problems the country is mired in suggests the two major parties are the problem, not the solution.

Here's my question to you: How much do the two major political parties really care about you?

Tune in to "The Situation Room" at 4 p.m. ET to see if Jack reads your answer on the air.

And we'd love to know where you're writing from, so please include your city and state with your comment.

Posted by
Filed under: Cafferty File • Politics • Uncategorized
  1. Michael Bindner, Alexandria, VA

They care about my vote and may care about my well being, but the GOP is either trapped in an ideology where their good wishes don't turn into results – or they simply care more about their donor class and the preservation of the status quo. Neither party wants to cede control over that much of the economy to those outside the establishment, although again the GOP is all about keeping those they consider worthy in charge of the economy – especially if they write them a check. There are no longer blatant reactionaries in the Democratic Party.

August 7, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
  2. Riley ODay

Very, very little. It really is about reelection and campaign donantions. Senators and representives are truly horriable people in the duty to country.

August 7, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
  3. John Hargis

It cannot be any more obvious about Party representation Jack. The question is, why it is taking so long for Americans to realize whom the parties actually serve and how little they care for the people. It is lobby and special interest that hold the Party heart and corrupt the nations soul.

August 7, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
  4. jim claus

lol funny, they really dont care jim in avilla mo

August 7, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
  5. Sharon Logiudice

As an educated, middle-class, African American female, I feel like a number of the ideals expressed by members of the Republican party are exclusionary and do not represent me or anyone like me. I believe that overall, that party does not have my best interests are heart and I am disenfranchised with them. I would like to see our nation support its citizens regardless of politics and I do not feel that is currently occurring.

August 7, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
  6. Kade in Ames

Check out the parties on wikipedia and notice the demographics that vote for them. Republicans are voted for by older, richer, white, christian men. Democrats tend to lead in every other category. Republicans seem to care about where the majority of the money comes from, Democrats seem to care about equality for everyone. Depending on which party you think cares for you tells me a lot about you without ever being able to see you.

August 7, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
  7. Name*Jerome

Politicians are self righteous greedy pigs. Jesse Ventura said it best. They should all wear NASCAR suites so they could display the patches of the people that own them. You know, banks, lobbyists, healthcare, unions, wall street etc. The only patch missing would be those of their constituents who sent them to Washington to represent them.

August 7, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
  8. Paul Austin Texas

Not much at all. They only want to stay in power just for the pure power of being in office. None of us really matter to any of them except on election day. After that they are done with us all and only in office for the high life and power.

August 7, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
  9. Barbara Leavitt

I'd say we....the little people, mean more to the Democrats than the Republicans. To me we really are "you people" to the Republicans......something that is looked down on, more of a bother than anything. At this point I am sick of both
    parties, Democrats for not fighting harder for us and Republicans for fighting against us yet trying to make us believe they are 'for' us. Together they are well on their way of destroying what was once a great country. As long as they are the 'winners'.....they don't care about the citizens.
    Henderson Nevada

August 7, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
  10. David R Bebeau,Springfield Missouri

Jack,not one bit.The only thing that the good ole boy system Washington cares about is serving themselves first and re election and not one single thing more.Wasting billions in someone else's money to serve their re election.Nothing on this earth is more important than that.. "NOTHING".Isn't that why they are on a 30 day paid vacation right now while the country needs leadership in congress ????? belly up to the bar boys its on the house!!!!!! While a single mom works two jobs to put shoes on her childs feet and food on the table.
    David

August 7, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
  11. Emius

To be honest both parties have no clue what's really going on out here. At least democratic politicians have some what of an idea that we little people are tired of the garbage promises, slimy political tactics in congress, Cayman swiss bank accounts, insider trading whoopsies, and tax hide and go seek.
    Jacksonville FL.

August 7, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
  12. Dave - Phx

They care nothing about me, only getting re-elected and collecting handouts from corporations. They will retire with free health care, and magical speaking engagements that net them $100k a peice (from Corporate money). Our country is run by traitors to the American people on both sides.

August 7, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
  13. Gary in San Jose, California

They could care less about me but their "handlers" really value my vote. Just look at how much they're willing to spend in order to get my vote. They must get a good return on their contributions or they wouldn't do it.

August 7, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  14. Tom in Desoto, TX

ZERO. Next question?

August 7, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
  15. Rich in Texas

They don't care at all. That is why I figure that less government as opposed to more will always be better.

August 7, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
  16. Brad, Portland, OR

The Republicans only care about the rich and corporations.

The Democrats mostly care about the poor, but care somewhat for the middle class as well.

No party is focused primarily on the middle class, though.

If you're in the middle class, the Democrats are the best of the available options.

August 7, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
  17. Greg in Arkansas

They must care about me quite a bit...they send me notices in the mail telling me how much they have accomplished in Washington,
    They call me regularly at supper time and remind me how important my vote is to them so they can continue to "represent" me.
    I am so important that they even invented a machine to call me when they are too busy working on vital legislation to call in person......I guess I am so lucky to have these conscientious elected officials working on my behalf......I sleep better, knowing how much they care.......

August 7, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
  18. Jay

Jack, you MUST be kidding. The two parties don't even THINK about most of us (i.e. the middle class) much less care. They're too busy planning the next move in taking over the US and forcing the rest of us into wage-slavery.
    Ron Paul in 2012!

August 7, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
  19. Frances

It is obvious that the tea party Republican's beat the drum for the wealthy. They are of and for the rich, their friends and donors. The Democrats are and have been since FDR the party of the working people. They fight for the middle class and the poor.

August 7, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  20. Tim Sorrell

Neither party cares about the American people at all. Bothe far Right and far Left have their own agendas that have nothing to do with freedom and Liberty. Instead the far Right is all about giving more and more to the rich because they are to ignorant to see it happening. As long as you leave Guns alone they will vote for whoever they are told to vote for. The Far Left are all about setting up the One World Plan that will strip Americans of all rights that we enjoy as Americans. That One World plan will create a Working poor with the Rich making all the rules and forcing their views on the rest of us. Tim Sorrell Cle Elum, Wa

August 7, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  21. BrainTurnedOff

A lot. If you have a lot of money that is. Otherwise: not so much.

August 7, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  22. Gary H. Boyd

Not enough to wad a shotgun Jack. It's interesting to note that two words denote the two parties - CONSERVATIVE for Republicans; LIBERAL for Democats. Yet neither addresses America's shrinking middle class.

Gary in Scottsdale, Arizona

August 7, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  23. Randy

About as much as a buzzard cares for a rotting carcass. The buzzard only needs the carcass to feed on, after they've had their fill, they leave the carcass for other buzzards to feed on.

August 7, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
  24. jk in MN

They don't seem to care about anything except not biting the hands that feed their re-election campaigns – by the way those are the "corporation people" and the 1% – the rest of us don't seem to matter much to them. Our government is getting more corrupt every day. Watching Congress not work on solutions for the bad economy and instead focus on abortion legislation and contraception is very disheartening and disgusting to me. I think that members of Congress should be investigated for acts of treason.

August 7, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
  25. Mel - Houston

The words "We the people" means absolutely nothing in this country anymore. Not that the people aren't willing to participate. With all the money in this country residing in the hands of the super wealthy and a political system that believes that money equates to free speech its easy to see why the people get left out. Get the money out of politics and the people will be there to get America back on track to its usual greatness.

August 7, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  26. james in greenville, nc

Sure they care about me, Jack. However, I am reminded of the lyrics to that old song, "But will you still love me tomorrow?" But then again the preacher says at weddings that love is blind, love is fleeting. So is the political parties love for me. But it is better to have been loved for your vote than to have never been loved at all. Or something.

August 7, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
  27. Sarah/Dumfries,VA

Im not a Democrate but they are 100%better,Republican/teaparty is a racist party,why are they changing voting laws & hating Obama so much,i think the racist guy who killed the indians is a Republican(hateful party)

August 7, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
  28. Michelle Scott

I would say actions speak louder then words! Therefore since Congress keeps talking about what they are going to do for us. Their actions in reality is they have done nothing. Both sides are guilty of doing nothing for the citizens of this country!!

August 7, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
  29. Peg in NY

The two parties don't give a rip for us anymore. It's appalling, disheartening and an ugly fact of the politics of today.

August 7, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
  30. Richard Texas

Jack politics is a game. Only the most masterful liars and devious do well at it. As far as politicians go, it never was about YOU. It was always about them and their position, title, power and wealth.

August 7, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
  31. DT - Saint Paul, MN

Who cares with the fiscal irresponsibility going on. Pass a bill making it illegal to run a deficit. Then when someone comes up with a great plan to cut taxes, they will actually have to cut spending, not just say it. The Republicans wouldn't last a single election cycle if they actually paid their bills.

August 7, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
  32. Annie, Atlanta

Depends on what kind of you you mean. Is it a you with millions or billions or some poor slob like me? If "you" is from the first group they'll kiss up. If "you" is me, they couldn't care less if I were dead or alive – let's be honest here.

August 7, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
  33. DT - Saint Paul, MN

Obama seems to care. Whether you like his policies or not, they are aimed at the public. As for congress.... not so much.

I really don't think we're asking the right questions though. I think we should be asking: "Why is the entire congress toeing the line?" Why is congress polarized when the country isn't? I can't possibly agree the country is perfectly divided along political lines. The 'average' is not being represented. So what the heck is going on over there?

Money. It's always the root evil.

And you want to elect a businessman..... Fuel to the fire people.

August 7, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
  34. Ken in Pinon Hills, California

They care as much as a prostitute cares about their clients.

August 7, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  35. Don Desaulniers (Belleville, Canada)

It seems obvious to a foreigner like me that both political parties clearly treat the American people as their absolute top priority, Jack. How else can you explain their total commitment to fundraising and re-election from the very moment they take office?
    Even as we speak your politicians are putting the public first by taking a five week vacation just so they can recharge their batteries in their continuous quest to improve life for ordinary Americans.
    Ah yes, Republicans and Democrats. Sleep tight tonight, America. Your politicians are awake.

August 7, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
  36. Doug Ericson

I would say zero like some others will, but that assumes the question is a valid one. In order for the question to be valid, you have to accept the assumption that there are two parties. I think the two parties, the Dummocrats and Rethuglicans are a mirage, and that they are really One Party, and this One Party exist soley to perpetuate the comfortable lifestyle of those most closely associated with the One Party. If you are in, you win, if not you better be very capable in this dog eat dog world. If you are weak you will get run over, and over and over, like a marching band over a three leaf clover. Doug, pepperell, MA.

August 7, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
  37. wahela

They would care a whole lot if we started following their every vote and made them accountable for their votes. If we could have a website with all of their votes on it, and a blog where they could explain themselves. And the citizens could respond. If they were actually voted out because they did not do what we wanted them to do. In a time when 80% or so are wanting such and such done, and they ignore us and do what they want. If they were held accountable, they'd listen really good.

August 7, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
  38. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Jack: My dog Ike care more about me--and he is dead! Do you think obessive, compulsive, self-centered, triple A personalities individuals care about anything other than themselves? In fact, I believe that Americans really don't care much about themselves---and that's because we keep re-electing the same individuals and expecting different results--and that my friend is what psychologiist call "insanity."

August 7, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
  39. Dave, Kissimmee, FL

These people have always had my best interests at heart. They take everything I say to them seriously and jump at my every whim. They work very hard to make my life better. I don’t know what I’d do without them. Now you must excuse me, I just raked in another five billion from the little people which I have to count.

August 7, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
  40. Cactus Pat in Wyoming

Politicians in Wyoming care more for me personally. National politicians are into the big bucks and faceless voters, and they know Wyoming is a gimme for the Republicans in the presidential election.

Whichever politicians are fighting to keep Social Security afloat,
    trying to get us out of wars and foreign involvements, and whichever ones are trying to keep jobs in the USA --- these are the ones who care about me and other average citizens.

Donald Trump, the Koch Brothers, Halliburton & Co., Mitt Romney -- they
    are GREED personified and don't give a rip about anything except
    their own bottom lines.

August 7, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
  41. Jenna Roseville CA

How much do the two parties really care about you?

Frankly the Democrats have proven over and over again to care about Americans and not just Big Business..

Jenna
    Roseville CA

August 7, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
  42. Pete in Florida

The two parties and all of their candidates, members and "insiders" care only about power, prestige, money, and their own inflated sense of self-worth. As for voters and citizens, during each election cycle the parties say whatever's necessary to get our donations, support and votes. The rest of the time, we are simply the ignorant, gullible sheep that they manage to fool every few years. The dumbest voters are the ones that identify themselves as Democrats and Republicans, for they have been completely taken in by the lies of political parties that have NOTHING in common with them and do NOT have their best interests at heart.

August 7, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
  43. Val LaHart

Me? They don't. I don't donate enough to their campaigns. But I VOTE!!

August 7, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
  44. Phyllis G Williams

How much do the two parties really care about you?

They must realize that if they have chosen you and you are
    worthy of being chosen, you will really care about them.

August 7, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
  45. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Not at all, nit, nelo, zero and any other word that adds up to zippo. They care about one thing and one thing only; our vote to get them in office so they can do nothing and make millions.

August 7, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
  46. Richard Hill/Colebrook,NH

Jack, the Democratic Party has attempted to do things which would help most Americans while the GOP has done nothing but support the " Rich and endorse Corporate Welfare".

August 7, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
  47. D from Land'o taxes, NY

The two parties care about me enough to attempt to get me to the polls to elect them to a job with better pay, benefits and retirement than I will ever have.

August 7, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
  48. Emmett M. Smith

Dear Jack,
    the answer is simple: "After the election ends- not at all!"
    Yours truly,
    Emmett Smith,
    Mobile, AL

August 7, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
  49. Matt

What a silly question. Based on everything you and others in the media report they only care about themselves or their contributors.

Matt
    Rockford

August 7, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  50. Think for yourself in Ok

Well, let's see. We have the party that always thinks they know more than the average person and therefore want to make all life decisions for them, Democrats. And then we have the party that believes the average Joe can be responsible for themselves, Republicans.

You tell me. Democrat = party of slaves and oppression
    Republicans = party of constitution and freedom.

August 7, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  51. Ed from California

They care, if I give them my last dollar. No, what am I talking about. They'd care if I gave them my last billion or two.....well maybe not. We really need campaign finance reform and stopping all lobbyists, and stopping our hired "help' from working for anyone who does any business what-so-ever with the US govt. Ethics, that's a hard word for our help to understand. Mr. Boehner, "Where are the jobs"??

August 7, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  52. Gail, Plano TX.

TX is a red state as u know, Jack. 99% of elected offices are held by Republicans. It has always amazed me that Texans vote against their own interests. The middle class especially. When I asked an acquaintance once why she voted GOP she said because they have family values. It is an enigma.

I personally feel that the Democrats care more
    about the people. But they too, serve themselves first at the dinner table!

August 7, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
  53. Jim in Denver, CO

Jack,
    Neither of them do. They only care about themselves and their donors. But if it really comes down to a decision I'll side with the Democrats because they seem to care somewhat about the middle and lower class.

August 7, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
  54. Loren, Chicago

This may go against conventional wisdom, but a party that rewards success cares more about people than one that rewards failure. We can talk about safety nets all we want, but ultimately the best measure for a person is to avoid the need for a safety net and the party that does all it can to help us succeed is the one that gets my vote.

August 7, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
  55. Steve, Clifton, Virginia

About as much as they care about you Jack....

August 7, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
  56. Ron WPAFB

It is without question that the Dems care about the Middle Class and Poor. They really do try to make our nation one about the people! The GOP on the other hand, care only about wealth and the Rich! I don't know how you can't see this Jack. But you act like you don't know the difference! Is there any doubt the GOP is by all definitions Corrupt, Partisan, have blocked all efforts to create jobs, come on Jack, your in the news buzz, surely you can see that!

August 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
  57. Wilhelm in Las Vegas

I don't know "who cares" between the Democrates and Republicans BUT I think the at least Obama and the Democrates DO NOT want to steal the Social Security and Medicade I worked for my whole life and Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan and the Tea Party republicans DO.

August 7, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
  58. Steve, Clifton, Virginia

They love me when they want my vote prior to their election and could care less about me after they are elected...

August 7, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
  59. Mike Eckman

Our politicians don't care as much about us as they care about themselves.

August 7, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
  60. Jim

Jack,

Laying aside both parties' lust for my campaign contributions and my vote, I would say the Democrats are the ones who actually care the most about Joe Average Citizen. Their history of supporting social programs that help the poor and middle class serve as strong evidence for this. The GOP's history of opposing such programs and constantly pushing legislation designed to make life easier and wealthier for the already wealthy eliminates them from any serious consideration.

Jim
    Reno, Nevada

August 7, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
  61. Brian Samuels (Chicago)

Not at all Jack. They only care about elections and re-elections. Every Republican bill that passed in Congress was to get someone voting for or against something. So, they wouldn't get re-elected. They knew it would never pass in the Senate. And the Democratically held Senate turned around and did the same thing with a Tax bill letting the Bush tax cuts expire on those making more than $250K. Knowing it wouldn't pass in Congress. Our Government is broken Jack. With no solution in the near future. I wish there was some way we could fire everybody, and just start over.

August 7, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
  62. David Gerstenfeld

Jack, I'll write a response if & when I stop laughing every time I read the question.
    David, Las Vegas

August 7, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
  63. Kimmy, Salisbury NC

You should re-word the question... Which Party "ACTS" like they care about you. Well that depends, if you like free handouts.... and paying for them... Democrats care more. If you like job creation and breaks for the business owners and "Work for welfare' Republicans care more...

August 7, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
  64. Allan Placerville, ca

ABSOLUTLY NONE. If you are not a lobbiest or big donor they could care less what is best for us commoners and the country. All they want is to continue their power and job.
    Never call them representatives.

August 7, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
  65. ken, atlantic city, nj

Neither parties care about the people on main street. They are both owned by big corporate money including the great obama. It is a myth that the dems care about main street. As long as the gullible voters believe in hope and change with obama nothing will change. The unemployment rate for new college grads is 50% and yet obama has the nerve to ask young people to support him. The country has been auctioned off to the highest bidders and that is why we are bankrupt. It is now mathematically impossible to balance the budget this century or to save medicare or medicaid. If obama were honest he would go on the tv and admit that the u.s. is bankrupt and it cannot be saved by tax cuts on 50% of the population who pay no tax anyway. Hope is dead.

August 7, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  66. Virginia - Atlanta

The Republicans want my money and when they realize I don't have much, they won't care any longer. I have more faith that the Democrats really want my support, they lie less and have the Christian values I admire.

August 7, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  67. 1grasshopper

The only thing they are worried about is their money, their pensions, their well being . The only thing we're good for is taking money from to fill their pockets.

August 7, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
  68. Kirk (Apple Valley, MN)

On a scale of 1 to 10, -37.

August 7, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
  69. susan in Ohio

I've been trying to figure that out for years, with no success yet. Yep, it's a puzzle alright. NOT!!

S.

August 7, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
  70. jen seattle wa

They only care about staying in power.Our country is undermined by the powermongerers who will pull the rug from under innocent families so they can play politricks with foreign policy acting like state dept is right arm of Empire that desires all in world to like u.s. while the u..s implodes with multicultural vultures bringing llow class 3rd world practices that sexploite american women..ALL while we subsidize Flags of convenience that empower 3rd world industrialist that result in 45 cents of every $1 spent in u.s. shopping malls goes to china communist govt, all while 2 party propagandizes locals into believing the economy can be saved if we drain our bank accounts shopping for middleman products low in quality and high in quanity.Heck, Our libraries have to close early so the local port authorities can raid the property taxes to cover the offshore infrastructure costs (port developments)..

August 7, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
  71. Jack

Mr. Cafferty:

I conceptualize our "representatives" on like a quantum theory level. They are sub-platonic partcles of the smallest size and if we must use terms like care and friendship, they are "friends" with absolutely no benefits. I think our forefathers would kindly call them scoundrels.

August 7, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
  72. WR Jones, NPR, FL

Right now they care about me a great deal, I live in Florida, a 'battleground' state, the money heaped upon political ads here is epic, all in an effort to get my vote come November, what a monumental waste of cash!
    The amount of money spent on me and my neighbors via commercials to convince us to vote left or right would be more effective if they bought us dinner once a week rather punishing us with redundant lies and exaggerations.

Now if you ask me after November if they care about me the answer is Hell No! Don't make me laugh.

August 7, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
  73. Tom Bulger, Canandaigua, NY

Republicans care greatly about my vote. The president and VP care about me and my country.

August 7, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
  74. David - Augusta, Georgia

Well I only care about one party! The Republican Party! I love them and they love me because I was born as a Republican, will live as a Republican, and die as Republican!

August 7, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
  75. Sandstone

"About as much as anybody else, even CNN? But I never let it get me down, Jack nobody is ever around that long to do any real damage!"

August 7, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
  76. Curtis in Philadelphia

Being a Democrat I get the feeling that the Republicans wish I were dead, whereas the Democrats just want my money, therefore to both parties I am totally expendable, totally.

August 7, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  77. David of Alexandria VA

Regrettably, not too much. At the end of the day, we are 15% ideologically leftish zealots and 15% ideologically rightish zealots. The 70% of us in the middle have preferences on this policy issue or the other, but really want to see collaboration on public policy reflective of the middle consensus.. Right now we get this diametrically opposed zealotry class trying to get the other side to capitulate or wait until they have both houses of Congress and the white house in order to ram through their agenda. They'll all schmooze us as far as they need to get us to vote for them and then stemroll over us until it's time to schmooze again in two years.

August 7, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
  78. Ann from Charleston SC

I didn't know it was all about me. I thought it was a question of who would be best for all the people of this country.

August 7, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  79. Ed from Texas

Well, the last two years prove the Republican Party cares less about Americans and more about returning to power. They've obstructed efforts to improve the economy and then make the bad economy their #1 campaign issue.

August 7, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  80. Nick from Weatherly, PA

Not at all, not even a slight bit to be exact. The parties are little more than a 2nd civil war in this country. If one does something the other must counter it without consideration for the countries well being. The problem is not the parties but our entire system where you are required to be in one in order to run for an office. They function not much unlike the Mafia in that if you join one you are "family" and are treated as such, but if you turn your back on them or refuse their will you are to be "removed" from contention. I say that to both fix our country and to see where our politicians loyalties lie we demand them to leave their political parties to better serve us.

August 7, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  81. Gigi Oregon

I think most Americans believe that government is more interested in Lobbyist money than the people. I personally feel the Republicans worship the God of Capitalism and the Democrats care more about the people.

August 7, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
  82. Pete in Georgia

On Nov. 6...............................alot.
    The rest of the time....................zilch !!

August 7, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
  83. Paul in NC

I do believe that some members of Congress actually do care about their constituents. But pressure to raise funds, get re-elected and toe the party line get in the way. All one has to do is look at the way Republicans have voted in lock step on virtually every issue to understand that they care not at all about this country or the people they supposedly represent. The Deomcrats are not a lot better but at least show some concern for preserving the middle class. I think that if a third party arose that wasn't way out on the fringes, stuck to real issues and nominated reasonable people they would dominate the politcal landscape in this country for the foreseeable future.

August 7, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
  84. stephen hapke

The Democrats care about everyone and the Republicans only care about you if your affluent

August 7, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
  85. David, Tampa

None, nada, zilch, zero. They have some use for the few, the rich, the buyers of their soles. The rest of us they throw a bone to now and again, but nothing really changes as long as we keep sending them back again and again.

August 7, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
  86. Ernie Marco Island Fl

About as much as you care about my answer.

August 7, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
  87. Dylan, CA

Clearly, not enough.

August 7, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
  88. JC in PA

Get serious- how much do they care?....seen congress lately!

August 7, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
  89. Tom K. From Beverly Hills

They do care a lot until they have your vote. It's like buying a new car and then realizing that you've lost a lot of value once you drive off the dealer's lot.

August 7, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
  90. Dave S.

They don't care about us. Formerly republican, now independent. Both sides have there heads shoved so far up there own asses they don't know WE the people even exist.
    What we want is Ron Paul, and you see how that worked out right?

August 7, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
  91. Mark Brewer

zip, nada, not at all

August 7, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
  92. Independent Voter

Well Jack, although both parties have problems, I believe the Dems care more for the middle class than the Republicans. Clearly, with over 1,100 pieces of proposed legislation regarding women's healthcare rights, and all of the voter supression legislation, it is clear the Republicans have an even worse record. Don't get me started on what the Republicans did in the last administration. I'm looking to 4 more years with our President. Romney would be a complete disaster, as he is one of the worst candidates for President I have ever seen in my lifetime.

August 7, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
  93. Margot in Washington

Listen, our reality is the GRIDLOCK. Until that gets solved and politicians start behaving like civilized human beings–we are just stuck in their muck........Being polite and civilized used to mean something in society--today the meaner you are, the more the press covers you.........So, maybe we all need to stand down and start learning some real manners........

August 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  94. Renee, Illinois

If I had the kind of money that Trump, Soros, Adelson, or the Kochs have that would be a valid question. I don't. So I, or at least my vote, only really matter at election time. I'm half tempted this year to go for a write-in vote, or maybe even the Green party, but I know that would just be a waste of my vote. At least until enough people get fed up enough to do the same. Can you imagine if 30-40 percent of voters this Nov. were to write in a vote for Ron Paul or the Green party? That would shake up the system so badly that the political parties would have to start changing instead of just talking about it.

August 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  95. art barnes

They want your vote only, otherwise, after they get that they just take care of themselves and care less about anyone else.

August 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  96. Linda in Arizona

HAHAHAHAHAAA! Etc. "CARE"? You're kidding. About as much as I care about them. I'm voting for Jill Stein, the Green Party nominee. She won't win, but I'll be able to live with myself.

August 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  97. Tim Fotinos

About me? The party cares nothing. They sure want my money though. I must get a fundraising letter each week. I throw them away.

August 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  98. Hadayai M.

Not much if any. If they did they would have passed some form of jobs bill no matter how weak it may have been due to compromise. To continue to do almost nothing day after day shows that the political parties know they have us under their spell.

August 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  99. Mary

Neither party cares about me or anyone of the citizens of this country. But, at least the Democratic party does a better job of trying to make you believe they do. They are not quite as underhanded and obnoxious as the Republican party.

August 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  100. Mike Danahy

Obviously, the Democratic party cares about the American People. The Republicans, not so much. What has President Obama done Jack that has you so miffed at him? He's been a great President and will be re-elected. Romney is a disaster for the Republicans. Ron Paul? What are you nuts? The guy's a crack-pot.

August 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  101. Lauri Schwab

Cut every politician's paycheck down to a minimum... Then the country will see who really cares about their needs

August 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  102. Loretta,Orrville,Oh

Not at all. why don't they reform their benefits and pensions?

August 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  103. Thinks2010

Neither party cares for most of us more than they care about remaining in office and growing their own power and influence. All you have to do is follow what goes on in Congress to see how true and how damaging this is to the common good of this country. Having said that, I think the Dems care for a wider segment of our society than the Republicans, but neither cares as much for this country as they should.

August 7, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  104. chris j

They don't care an iota about us. They care about special interest groups and lobbyists, oh and arguing back and forth with one another!

August 7, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  105. patrick

They care about you just enough to get your vote. Then it's straight to the back burner until the next election cycle. All they can agree to in Washington anymore is when to go on vacation.

August 7, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  106. toogie

They care nothing at all about me, you, any single one of us, Jack. The major political parties care about elections, about being in control of the White House, the Senate, the House. And because of that goal, we, the people, are merely inconveniences, albeit necessary inconveniences if we are to believe in "true and honest" elections. Tell the people what they want to hear in order to get them to send votes our way. And mind you, don't confuse the truth with the facts, now. Spin...spin...spin.

August 7, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  107. Sheilah L Njalaleh

Jack...Not much. But at least the Democrats would ensure I have Healthcare and my Boss's Boss gets to pay his taxes!!! Sheilah Silver Spring, MD

August 7, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  108. Mike Crowe

Jack: Given that four of the five wealthiest counties in America surround Washington DC, it is apparent that the money we send to Washington, the representatives we send to Washington, must be changed. They certainly don't care about the taxpayer. No politician should be allowed to run for re-election with a balanced budget.

Regards,

Mike Crowe

August 7, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  109. marc

they do not care at all they only care about power for powers sake

August 7, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  110. BJ

They don't. Most are career politicians who are interested in protecting their jobs. We truly need a viable third party and term limits to insure our elected officials are responsive to the people they are elected to represent!

August 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  111. Kim , Dodge City, Kansas

It is sad that both parties have even given up trying to fake that they care about anybody but themselves. They are blatant about it, they flaunt their distain for the regular citizen, and continually go to great efforts to make our lives as miserable as possible. Until we have a choice to vote "no confidence" on a ballot, or create a mechanisim for removal for "lack of performance", we will always have to suffer under all elected officials.

August 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  112. Linda

both parties are the problem. congress as well need fresh candidates all around let's start back at square one maybe then 'good' people won't be afraid to run for office shake the bed covers and start fresh

August 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  113. david doherty

Is there a term for less than zero? Seeing that I'm a middle class, disabled 53 year old that lives on S.S. and insurance with very little left over to grease palms, I would say I'm invisible to them.
    Dave from NH.

August 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  114. Charlie in KY

Does anyone really think a politician cares about anything but HIS own pocket and what he can get from the tax[ayer? No they care nothing about the American Taxpayer.

August 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  115. Jerry in Colorado Springs

The GOP doesn't care a bit. They are totally wrapped up in their own ideologies & convinced of their superior ability to do what is best for "the American People" . For them wealth is the measure of "rightness.

August 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  116. Dan DeArmond

Jack, I live in Amarillo, Tx. THEY DON'T CARE! Period! I have been saying for months exactly what you said and folks simply don't want to hear the truth...that these two parties will say anything. I wrote a post on a blog two days ago saying we cannot believe anything either side says...and got my tail feathers ripped right out!
    AMERICA IS IN TROUBLE! I'm NOT going to vote until there is someone to vote for that can & will fix the problem. Thanks for all you do Jack!

August 7, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  117. Lenny

Asking how much the two political parties care about us is like asking how much a lion cares about a gazelle. Power is inherently corruptible. We simply feed their greed.

August 7, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  118. Jarhead4Life

They dont even know who we are. They only care about getting our vote. The real problem is a two party system. You need at least three equally powerful parties in order to break this stalemate that our country is currently in.

You also need term limits across the board, total transparency of ALL donations no matter the amount and bar all lobbying and influence peddling.

August 7, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  119. Miri

No, they don't care. None of those wolves (no puns intended) in congress truly care about community or social well being unless it fattens their pockets and assures their job security. They only care about us as numbers, and if they truly cared, they would stand up for the beliefs they tout in the halls of congress, rather than as words they spew to appease the brainless masses.

And that is the fault of the voters. We've grown into a country of cowards, afraid of being bold and following our dreams, and into sheeple with no sense of self conscience, to have the sense to kick all those leeches out of office.

August 7, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  120. Andrew Wede Grand Island,NE

They don't give two hoots to the American people. Even the laws they pass, they make sure they are excluded to the very same thing they force on us. The American voter needs to clean house.

August 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  121. Tom - Florida

Congress has demonstrated repeatedly that party concerns outweigh the will of their constituents. If our Senators and Representatives were actually doing their jobs, representing their districts and states, you would never see a party line vote. Unfortunately, that's just about all you see except for naming post offices or declaring national rutabaga day. Care for us? That's a joke. It's only the Party that matters, and the leadership that controls the choice committee assignments. A good first start is to repeal the 27th amendment and return Senate selection to the State Governments.

August 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  122. Arthur from Massachusetts

None at all for the GOP , they are too focused on keeping their own jobs, making sure Obama doesn't get elected

August 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  123. JoeyMiss

Do the two political parties care about us? Of course they do, but not in the same way we care about the issues. They care about getting re-elected and voting the 'right' way. We wan liberty, justice, moral guidance, etc. At the end of the day, Ron Paul made a good run, but was never a realistic candidate. The culprit at fault is that the system is old & broken... and this country NEEDS a real candidate that can change everyday politics – (i.e. - JFK)

August 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  124. J W Atlanta

Depends. When taking my money both parties seem caring. When they drafted guys into the army (I want YOU) they seemed to care. When they shut down government they made caring noises in accusatory tones. And when they want my vote, they care enough to go on TV and tell me how much they care. Otherwise, nobody from either party gives a hoot if I get up in the morning...you either.

August 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  125. NOYO

the 2 major political parties dont care about the people of this country.
    they only care about their own power and keeping the majority of people in this country as ignorant as they can.
    as long as we have a 2 party system the people of this country will never be forced to be informed about a candidate before voting...

August 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  126. GodReagan

The question is bogus Jack.
    We have the best government corporate money can buy. Politicians are just pawns.

August 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  127. Bruce Shames

Democrat politicians may not care enough about me. However, Republican politicians don't care one iota about anyone except themselves and a minisucle portion of very rich people. If they get the presidency and congress we can kiss our middle class goodby.

August 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  128. Dama Arauz

You are wrong on this one, Mr.Cafferty. As a woman I can tell you with certainty that one party cares more about me than the other. One party wants to take away Planned Parenthood, a place that many women like myself have gone to in the past. One party supports efforts to weaken and even overturn a woman's right to choose. One party doesn't believe that contraception is part of basic healthcare while supporting Viagra as such for men. One party voted against equal pay for women. These are just some of the stark differences. The republican party doesn't care about me.

August 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  129. Taylor - IL

The two parties are a front to control you. They are a sham and you have to be blind to not see the transparency through these two parties. It is a disgusting game these parties play and your being played if you think they care at all about you. If you want someone to care about your vote or opinion, vote Ron Paul. He is the man with the plan. Nuff said.

August 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  130. Rich

Jack,

You are correct, there are two political parties in the U.S. However you've gotten one wrong...they are the Democaratic Party and the Party of "No".

Until true Republicans take their party back from the extreme right, things will remain the same and no, the Party of "No" does not care.

August 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  131. Rither Moose

What a Dumb question. They might have cared when they decided to run but when one runs for office you no longer have a face – you have a voter registration card.

August 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  132. Bill H.

Career politicians are JUST that. Term limits would eliminate that motive and perhaps enable the people to discover individuals who would represent their constituents issues instead of their own.

August 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  133. marilyns416

Both parties care about our country and our people. The Democrats want to give us all a fish, and the Republicans want to teach us all to fish.

August 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  134. Harmeet Singh

Care about me? Since when do these two parties actually care about me? All they care about is my vote, and when they get it I'm going to be ignored untill the next election roles around. – Stockton,CA

August 7, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  135. Frustrated Voter

I live in Silverton Oregon. I don't think Democrats or Republicans really care about us. All they really care about is keping their jobs and their power. They stand united keeping Third Party options marginalized. Ron paul and the Libritarians truly represent the majorit of Americans but Democrats and Republicans unite to block them from ever taking power. If Ron Paul would renounce his Republican party and back or join the Libritatian ticket and and many others would join the cause. We need a strong Social Progressive/Fiscally Conservative party to get out of our current deadlock.

August 7, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  136. Lou

Both parties will only cater to their corporate interests, the amount of lobbying money that permeates throughout the system basically provides a perception that our politicians are for sale – no matter what party they belong to. This applies also to the super pacs and how those running will be indebted to their donors – we still have not even explored the international donors who are now able to provide contributions surreptitiously. Personally I am not voting this year as we have a President who only promises and never delivers and a challenger – who seem to be perennially confused and only understands his social class and his donors. No change in the near future as SCOTUS is now part of the political dynamic ......

August 7, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  137. Chuck gilmour

Fernley Nevada
    zip zilch zero! Both have lived privileged lives and simply cannot understand, let alone feel the pain of everyday Americans during this depression that both say is all in our minds. Really?

August 7, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  138. JC in PA

Hey it's my B-day! Put me on the air. They are as serious as I am about answering the question.

August 7, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  139. John Chubb

Jack I don't mean to sound so sarcastic, but all we mean to these politionans is money...There is so much greed in DC and around all the Politics that it is very scary...

August 7, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  140. Carl in Ohio

How much do the political parties care about us? Zero, Zip, Nada, None, Zilch...isn't it obvious?

August 7, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  141. Dr. Vishwanath Ayengar

Voters have not lost faith in the Democratic Party. They feel frustrated by the Republican Congress holding President Obama in a choke hold.

August 7, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  142. Aaron Williams-Mele

I do not agree with a lot of both parties issues. I consider myself a Libertarian, but I used to consider myself a Republican. The Republican party has disappointed me so much that I'd rather have a Democrat in office, because they actually care about the average person and not just the rich. As Jenna Jameson (who I never thought I'd quote) said, "When you get rich, you want a Republican in office". That's just proof of who they look out for. Ron Paul or Gary Johnson will get my vote this fall.

August 7, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  143. azita , california

they care for us so much, so much so that we are keeping them up every single night, and turning them into liars I feel so bad for them.

August 7, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  144. Bruce

Neither party cares enough about the people but since I have to choose, I'll choose the lesser of two evils... I choose the Democratic Party since they seem to have more consideration for the middle class. I have seen many elections and I have had the opportunity to see both parties in power at one time or another. I use to vote for the man but discovered no matter which individual that you choose, in the end analysis you are voting for the party! The best party for the people is the Democratic Party!
    If you can't beat them then join them!
    The old proverb, "If you can't beat them, join them", was adopted by the Mafia years ago. The Mafia couldn't beat government so the Mafia joined government! The old Mafia, now being a part of government, now call themselves "Republicans"!

August 7, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  145. Mike New Orleans

I don't think they care at all. The only things they seem to care about are being re-elelcted and keeping their own party in power. It's amazing to me the things they will say to get elected, and then what they actually do in office. We have to wake up and hold them accountable.

August 7, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  146. William

I don't think the parties care anything about us or we would not have grid lock and brinkmanship.

August 7, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  147. Peter Martin

Sorry Jack....I understand your desire to make an equal argument fior both major parties..But there is a difference
    between so called attack ads that tell the truth and those that are false. Both parties are not the same and it's
    disingenuous (sp) to make the case that they are when it's been made clear by independant studies that most of the flood of half-truths and outright falsehoods about the current administration are coming from the ads paid for by annonymous sources on behalf of Mr. Romney..

August 7, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  148. Dale N.M.

They care an awful lot for me Jack I have them call me on the phone every day they tell me how much they care for me and will do this for me., as long as I vote for them and pay my taxes for them to waste on special interests that benefit them.

August 7, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  149. vicky

There is a lot of hate and violence in America and it starts with our leadership because it lacks respect for humanity. Our leadership only cares about ME, therefore cannot be trusted.

August 7, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  150. Peter

They care alright.. They care about my money and re-election thats about it. Once in office they all do the same thing anyways.. parties are simply the illusion of competition. They dont care what the "average" American thinks.

August 7, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  151. Joan Olmstead

Not at all. Both parties represented in national and local government care only for their "entitlements" - life time pension, best health care in the world, special interest inflating their bank accounts and doing their best to destroy this great nation. They call themselves "public servants" but they only serve themselves! We the people and our nation have been abandoned by both parties.

August 7, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  152. darryl0223

Jack this is getting old. How can you claim to be fair while perpetuating this myth that both parties are equally responsible for this mess. And enough already with the "pain" business. You do realize that the vast majority of Americans who want a job, have one, right? To hear yout tell it, we're all crawling around on the ground eating grasshoppers and worms. If you can't contain your Ron Paul fetish and pose questions that are fair, step aside and let someone else do it. I don't think any of the viewers would mind.

August 7, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  153. archangel63

The modern political party was designed for one purpose: to make harnessing support for specific agendas more efficient. They were not built with the desires of the people in mind, but are social constructs intended to harvest votes by feigning concern, sympathy and sincerity. Such a soulless creation is incapable of "caring" about the people that make up its often gullible quarry.

August 7, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  154. Jeff In Minnesota

Really Jack? They care about me? Seriously? If they cared, they would work together and they do not. Enough said.

August 7, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  155. David P Vernon

My party, the Democratic Party, cares about the problems of people like me. I can tell by the legislation they propose and occasionally pass. In contrast, every State Republican Party in every State where I have lived at length has gone out of its way to screw me, with cuts to education, science, and protection of the environment, which are how I trained to make my living. The Republicans in Congress have twice acted since 2005 in ways that resulted in cancellation of contract work I was about to be signed to undertake, and are almost directly responsible for at least two years of my long term unemployment. Going by what I know, I reiterate what I first heard from my parents in the 1950s: Republican policy favors big business, Democratic policy favors the little guy. Ronald Reagan fooled the blue collar crowd into going Republican, but it is the blue collar crowd that has been hit hardest by Republican policy and it is mostly their jobs that have been shipped offshore. Based on my observations, with few exceptions, all Republicans want is to get re-elected, whereas Democrats actually want to make things better for those who are the least well off, and actually try. Never mind who says who cares about whom. Look at the proposals, the laws enacted, and the outcomes. There are differences between the two sides – big ones. Even Republican policy on abortion is essentially heartless and harmful. Why does any sane person still vote Republican, except for those with income in the 98th percentile?

August 7, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  156. Paul, Rome NY

Regardless of political affiliation, elected officials in general are most concerned with maintaining their positions. The longer they stay in office, the more time they have to work their agendas. Politics is all about deal making. Most of which are forged in dark places fro from public. Politicians talk about higher levels of transparency, but it's never as open as it needs to be. Pander, broaden the base, tell the populace what they want to hear. Priority one for politicians is self preservation. Selling your sole is a requirement of the job. That's is exactly why people of with strong convictions are demonized as radicals and therefore not fit to serve the people. Do they care about us? Only when they're looking for a vote. My question is, how many times can you compromise your principles before you lose yourself?

August 7, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  157. Mark in Houston

LOLOL....are you kidding me?
    the Tea party bunch doesn't care much about anything except yelling and screaming and saying NO, the Republicans care less than the Tea party and Democrats are too scared to care.. That pretty much averages out to zip....nada....none.

August 7, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  158. Navin, Toronto,Ont

Jack, If the US keep these same two parties together things will never get change hence no one will care for the people or there issues. The fighting will continue between these two parties to get vote and elected.

What the US needs to do to get more work done and bills passed in congress is merge both parties asap and also buyout those who have been in the house and senate forever. Get new people in there who see the big pictures and really want to help the country and it's people.

Regards,

August 7, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  159. Howard

Neither party really cares about anybody, at least till after they're elected. I have a hard time blaming the president as much as I blame Congress. They sit there using up air that good people could use. They will tell you what they think you want to hear and then do as they please. And which one will say exactly what they are going to do instead of telling you the spin on what the other guy (or gal) is going to do. The latest is Romney saying Obama has undermined welfare by taking out the 'need to find work' clause. I read the whole document on three different news sites and this is an absolute untruth from Romney. At least Pres. Obama has given enough indication from what he has done the last three years to give a person an idea of where he going if he wins another four. Romney says Obama has done nothing to help the economy. The only indication I get from Romney is that he would have done nothing to help the economy, (the stimulus was wrong, the regulations are wrong, etc.)
    Howard
    Missouri

August 7, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  160. bb_Illinois

Its time we ask both parties to dissolve their fraternal brotherhood. These two parties are keeping the USA from progressing. The lobyists and campaign contributors need to realize that "We the People" are fed up with their games at our expense!

August 7, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  161. Fred

Neither party cares about anything but money, specail interests and getting reelected. The people do not have a chance and do not know the real issues and how to fix them due to the media is corporate owned and they just want to make money. If the media would be more like PBS maybe the people could figure out the real issues and demand change for the better of the country. Money is the problem with politics and until they take money out the people have no chance. It really amazes me why anyone bothers to vote the two parties are so close to the same. The policies of both parties only benifit corporations and the wealthy.

August 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  162. Odella Walton, Nevada

The parties themselves as a hold does not appear to care about the general population. But, the leader of the democratic party, our president is a sincere and caring man. This is why I voted for him. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to recognized a sincere, honest and caring individual and he is not only educated but intelligent as well. A real winner, therefore because of the President of the US at this time, I feel the Democratic Party cares more about me and the people of the US. To be truthful this is the only President I can say I have ever loved, Clinton came closed. Politic never interested me until I saw the hopelessness in many of the American people, and President Obama saw it too, he did exactly what I would have done as president soon as he got into office, put food on the table of many no small how small the amount he did SOMETHING!

August 7, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  163. Paul, Rome NY

Regardless of political affiliation, elected officials in general are most concerned with maintaining their positions. The longer they stay in office, the more time they have to work their agendas. Politics is all about deal making. Most of which are forged in dark places far from public view. Politicians talk about higher levels of transparency, but it's never as open as it needs to be. Pander, broaden the base, tell the populace what they want to hear. Priority one for politicians is self preservation. Selling your sole is a requirement of the job. That's is exactly why people of with strong convictions are demonized as radicals and therefore not fit to serve the people. Do they care about us? Only when they're looking for a vote. My question is, how many times can you compromise your principles before you lose yourself?

August 7, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  164. Stan

I might be a little naive at 47 years old, but I feel the Democrats care about me as an individual to a much greater extent than the Republican party ever will or could. Once all the Republican rhetoric is stripped away, it is merely a conduit for the large corporations. At the end of the day, the Rupublican Party appears to stand for the profits of a few, and not for the vast majority of people like myself. But I guess one could add alittle more rhetoric with Citizens United and the Republicans can even challenge this critique by simply and absurdly turning corporations into people. Priceless.

August 7, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  165. Doug-Dallas

They don't care about me/us unless they want my money and/or my vote. It really is the exercise of picking the lesser of two evils and has been for some time and at all levels of government. If possible Congress is even worse; look at what just happened down here.

August 7, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  166. Jim Carlisle

Jack, It's too easy to make sweeping generalizations in response to your question. We suffer too much from ideologues doing just that in trying to win. The Republicans made it their goal to obstruct the Obama administration no matter how much suffering their strategy brought to the nation. That's all they have done. I think that shows their limits of caring for us. And they think that putting "Obama" and "care" together is the supreme insult. Yes "OBAMACARE." They said it. Not me. Jim

August 7, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  167. Phil in Colorado

Unfortunately, neither of the two parties seem to care about us. Their main goal is to get re-elected. It seems that most people responding to this question are Democrats, wanting more involvement by government to take care of them. I guess Republicans are busy working and don't have time to surf the net and post comments.

August 7, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
  168. Charles

It isn't quite as simple as that. In general, the ethos (of one and lack thereof of the other) of the two major parties are poles apart. The Democratic party in general believes Love They Neighbor As Thyself and that a peaceful and healthy world is better than a world of chaos and fear and of water and air unfit to drink and breathe. The Republican party believes the opposite – for decades they have stood for the lust for power and greed at any cost (most frequently the cost being the lives of less wealthy Americans either from war or dying from poverty and lack of decent healthcare) and that extreme selfishness and ruthlessness is the best way to run a country and business. Part of the resulting quagmire is due to some Democratic politicians forgetting what party and principles they are supposed to be representing. Far worse, too many Republican and Tea Party voters who may not be utterly wicked people seem oblivious to the hypocrisy and lies they are being fed daily by their party and its machine (including the Rupert Murdoch empire, the NRA, the financial industry, insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies and the military industrial complex) – that Evil is Good and that Good is Evil. If Democratic politicians would be Democrats, and Republican/Tea Party voters who have any decency left would educate themselves (the less educated are far more likely not to question and to believe lies – Republicans have exploited that for decades) and pay attention to and care about the world around them and either stop voting Republican/Tea Party or pressure their party to stop being utterly unethical, perhaps the two could start to compromise again.

August 7, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  169. Paulette, Dallas, PA

They do not care about 'Us' at all. Their only concern is to fill their own deep pockets and get whatever they can,whenever they can–All while taking care of the Lobbyists and supporters who put them in office. None of them should be returned to office. They've all made 'empty promises' and duped their constituents. Wake Up America and bring our Great Country Back to Life!

August 7, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  170. Brenda from Baton Rouge, LA

They care about us insofar as how we might affect their legacy. When we think about the things which have the most lasting deep consequences for most of us like the environment, education, helath care, gun control, our overall safety, and employment one would be hard pressed to say they care. These are major quality of life issues which the President and the Democarts adresses often. Sorry, I cannot say the same for Republicans. They try to turn the races against each other and have no idea how to speak the Truth. They let companies continue to seal our money through all of the sneaky little laws they've paid for. In fairness, Republicans care about their rich buddies being able to buy diamonds, yacths and caviar. If they really cared about us or America they wouldn't move their jobs overseas to strength other countries over a couple of millions in profits when they are already a Billionaires.

August 7, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  171. classee1

If you are not rich, neither party cares about me personally. However given a choice, I have to say the Democratic is more concern with the middle class of this country. At least they are the only party talking about helping to make life better for us here. The Republican Party don't give a hoot about me or my family.

August 7, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  172. Addie

Nada,a big fat zero..I just don't feel the love... maybe a heartfelt party would do the trick though..

August 7, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
  173. Eva

Jack, political parties don't care about us at all. Political parties are ideologies that exist in the realm of the abstract and the politicians that represent these abstract ideologies tend to be disparaging to the people who give them power. They disparage us by dismissing our needs and desires and only fulfilling their own and those of their financial backers. They are sociopaths who believe their place in the world is one where they have power and respect, even if they don't deserve it. They are all image and if anything good comes out of their terms in office it is because of circumstance-either because it makes them look good, because it was a secondary effect to something else (probably not so great) they did, or because they had no other choice. Sadly, I believe this is true more often than not, and when it's not, it genuinely surprises me. Not all people in politics are bad people, but the system makes it so that only those who are on board with the program already in place, those that will do what has always been done, are the one's that will go the farthest and be most successful. But that success comes with a price, and that price, if you're willing to accept it, is not actually being able to help anyone or change anything for the better in the long-term.

August 7, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
  174. joe prichard in missouri

Why do you mention Ron Paul, and you mention the fact that a lot of people do not like the two parties, but you steadfastly refuse to mention Gary Johnso, who will be on most ballots, who is not having his name included in the polling that would qualify him for debates, and who would most certainly liven up those debates. More than anything, I wonder about the mentioning of someone not on the ballot, neglecting those who are. Explain?

August 7, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  175. KB and JB central Florida

It doesn't matter whether or not they care about "me" ... I want the one that cares about saving the U.S. (Romney) not the one bent on destroying us.

August 7, 2012 at 4:50 pm |