Where do political contributions rank on your list of spending priorities?
June 27th, 2012

Where do political contributions rank on your list of spending priorities?

By CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Many Americans are hurting - big-time - from a lousy economy. But that doesn't stop the politicians, shameless creatures that they are, from holding their hands out for campaign donations. It's an election year after all.

The latest scheme comes courtesy of President Obama who wants people to give him money in lieu of giving graduation, anniversary, wedding, birthday, bar mitzvah gifts, etc.

This new fund-raising tool lets those who want to contribute set up a gift registry to solicit donations from their friends and loved ones to give to Obama. This in lieu of a gift for your birthday or wedding. The name for this is chutzpah.

The website suggests this is a "great way to support the president on your big day. Plus, it's a gift that we can all appreciate - and goes a lot further than a gravy bowl." Sure.

As you can imagine, critics and comedians are having a heyday with this.

Jimmy Kimmel suggests it's a "great way for people to lie about getting you a present."

And one guy writes on the campaign's website: "M y 6-year-old just lost a lower incisor. he's going to be so excited when the Tooth Fairy leaves him an obama-biden donation receipt in his name."

Meanwhile the president, Mitt Romney, and the rest of them go right on asking Americans to give them money at a time when millions of Americans can't find a job and 28% of us have no emergency savings.

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Robert in Alabama:
It ranks just below my contribution to the big oil companies at the gas pump so that I can have a "productive" day standing in an unemployment line!

Ralph in Corpus Christi, Texas:
Right below sending money off to one of those star registry gift offers that sell off a star in a loved one's name. As for any political campaign donation requests, what galaxy do they think I'm from?

Kirk in Minnesota:
On a scale of 1 to 10, -37.

Cee:
They don’t, Jack. My 50 cents would be lost amongst the list of large contributors, and so is my voice. And that is the problem with our system. The Supreme Court has silenced the voice of the masses, with its "Citizen United" decision.

Susan in California:
Right up there with elective root canal procedures.

Martha:
A few items south of room fresheners.

Jack in Lancaster, Ohio:
Mr. Cafferty, It would rank the lowest on a special list, the title of which I am sure The Situation Room will not publish.

Posted by
Filed under: 2012 Election • Money • Spending
  1. Jayne in NH

Since the Citizens United ruling I've decided not to contribute. My small contribution means absolutely nothing compared to the billionaires currently intent on buying our government.

June 27, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  2. Doug Ericson

Somewhere below dead last. I bet this question is going to get a lot of ha ha ha's. I would tip a burglar first, at least they were honest about what they were up to. Doug. Pepperell. MA.

June 27, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
  3. susan in Ohio

Since Citizens United has now made a joke and a mockery out of political contributions, it ranks very low on my list. Remember when we used to go get our driver's license renewed and they'd ask if you'd like to donate a dollar to the political campaigns? But that was in the good old days, when a dollar actually counted. Now, it takes at least a 6-digit figure to make any kind of impact or have any kind of a voice in the process. I'll admit, I gave $50 earlier this year to a local in-state senator, but only because idealism got the best of me at that moment. Guess I wasn't thinking straight. But that will do it for me this year. Any politician asking for money from me this year can just "fugedabadit"!

June 27, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
  4. Jim in Denver, CO

Jack,
    Considering I'm Middle Class it doesn't rank very high as I have to spend my 'extra' money on other more important things (like trying to save enough for my daughters college education). In my opinion we need to reverse Citizen United and go to a publiclly funded campain system. Get all the 'job creators' out of the mix of our politics.

June 27, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
  5. Bob in Ohio

I would rather go to the local drug store and buy feminine hygene products for my wife than send money to any political campaign.

June 27, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  6. Mel - Houston

I checked the box on my 1040 tax form for $3.00. That's all their getting from me. That $3.00 is a mere .0000000003% of a total one trillion dollars projected to be spent on the campaign. I'm glad that didn't come out of my pocket because that doesn't sound like it's going to buy a whole lot of influence does it?

June 27, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
  7. Tom Bulger, Canandaigua, NY

Everyone in the Middle Class can only give what they have. That is why Republicans oppose minimum wage hikes, unions, and anything that benefits the Middle Class. They look after the super rich who fund their campaigns.

June 27, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
  8. DT - Saint Paul, MN

Zero. But if I had say... $10 million in the bank it would be a different story. There is so much wrong with the Republocrat system I would be happy to raise awareness and find someone who actually represents our values. Just think what you could do with even a couple million dollars to educate people.

June 27, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  9. Bizz, Quarryville Pennsylvania

Right now they rank high on my list especially after hearing how Romney's rich friends are trying to buy this election. It is my small way as an average working man to try to get even with a fat little weasel named Karl Rove. I despise this man because of all he represents with his dirty politics and big time money that controls how our government operates. If we still have a justice system that is not corrupt I expect a big time scandal with all the money that is being contributed to campaigns. Then you will see all the weasels jumping back in their holes.

June 27, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  10. Tom (Atlanta)

How many more months of being preached to is there left? Do you think if I'd pay them they just go away? I'm beginning to feel like Charley Brown being scholded by his teacher. Wha, wha, wha, wha, wha. Huh? My porch light is still on but there is no one home.

June 27, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
  11. james in greenville, nc

Jack, it is like every other donation I make. It depends on who is doing the asking.

June 27, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
  12. KB and JB central Florida

keeping a major mistake from being re-elected could be considered priceless –
    but normal "contributions" are on the bottom of the "need to do" list. – eating/survival, paying bills etc come first.

June 27, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
  13. Ken in Pinon Hills, California

It is no longer on my list Jack. Super Pac’s with corporate and foreign nations contributing unlimited amounts of cash, I have lost my will to participate in a losing and wasteful farce. Democratic elections have become an oxymoron.

June 27, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  14. Paul Austin Texas

Lets say along with all the other bottom feeders at the bottom of the list. When all spending has been long overun and no money is left. They should get no special deals like they do now.

June 27, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  15. Michael Bindner

Until I get a job, I don't make them. Nor do I listen to obviously Republican ads bought by them. If rich people want to waste their money on a lost cause like Romney, they are free to – however ads won't help him win the debates.

June 27, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
  16. John from Alabama

Jack: Tip O'Neil stated all politics is local. If this is true, and a person believes it to be true political contributions are important in every election period. Most people only get rteal potically active with donations every 4 years. Taking part in the election process by voting is enough, but some people want to support a candidate or a political party candidates; therefore, donations are made.

June 27, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
  17. Gary in San Jose, California

Political contributions rank below the lowest priority on my list. I really don't understand how it can be viewed as anything other than political payola. The Supreme Court decision initially disappointed me but now I'm thinking the public display of unlimited funding abuse will open people's eyes. Our founding fathers either made a big mistake or they were on the take from the beginning. Either way this cancer needs to be addressed so we can remain the greatest nation.

June 27, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  18. David, in hot and sunny Tampa

In the same place it has always ranked for me, Nowhere in sight.

June 27, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
  19. Floyd - California

I am older and my health is declining. When I donated to my party I was inundated with phone calls, mail and Internet requests for more money. Then there was other calls from charities. My money did not go to the campaign, it went for solicitation. Now I am an Independent. Too bad, but I give to my dog charity before even considering politicians, all of which do not serve our middle class.

June 27, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
  20. jeff from florida

Right now, nonexistant.
    It's the darn food, gas, roof over my head that's useing up all my disposable income.
    It used to be if you don't vote, don't complain. Now it's, if you don't contribute millions, don't complain.

June 27, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  21. Tom in Desoto, TX

If you are referring to the degree of buying favors if you're candidate is elected, that is important to me. Personal donations should be limited as in the past. And, donations must be made by someone who is eligible to vote, 5 year old's cannot contribute $1 million, even if they have it..

June 27, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  22. David of Alexandria VA

Not very high in terms of amount. But, it's important to me to support in some small way, a party or a candidacywith which I agree. Sort of puts skin in the game and helps the process along.

June 27, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  23. Rich McKinney, Texas

I took political contributions off the list when the government attacked Iraq. Why would anyone invest their hard earned money in a political cesspool like Washington Jack? It is a losing proposition. After the first Trillion dollars in foreign debt flashing red lights, bells and whistles should have been going off in Washington. No one is minding the store and the thieves in Washington are giving the country away a treasury note at a time.

June 27, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  24. Gary H. Boyd

I'm 76 years old and have never contributed a DIME to a political candidate. In 2006 I was one of seven "write-in" candidates for the city council in Scottsdale, Arizona and spent $16.59 on my own campaign and got 3,200 votes. (First among the "write-ins") Those whose names appeared on the ballot got elected. However, It should not be the money but rather the message that counts. Call me an idealist and you're probably right.

Gary H. Boyd in Scottsdale, Arizona

June 27, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
  25. bonnie from NJ

The first time I ever gave was to Obama in 2008, however I do donate to the "No Labels" organization that is trying to get the parties to work together (talk about throwing money away!!!)

June 27, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
  26. Cee.La

They dont Jack........my 50 cents would be lost amongst the list of large contributors, and so is my voice......and that is the problem with our system.......the SC has silenced the voice of the masses, with its "citizen united" decision....

June 27, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
  27. Phyllis G Williams

Where do political contributions rank on your list of spending priorities?

If I could contribute, I would also have to give towards the debt of my country as
    my conscience would not allow me to have a full bank book and profess to love
    a 'D' grade country.

June 27, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
  28. Pat, Twin Falls, Idaho

Way, Way, Way, on the bottom of my list, if NOT at all, if they haven't got enough money to finance their own campaign, then they should never run for office in the first place, besides that, the office of president has already been bought and paid for.

June 27, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
  29. Kirk (Apple Valley, MN)

On a scale of 1 to 10, -37.

June 27, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
  30. Ralph in Corpus Christi, Texas

Right below sending money off to one of those star registry gift offers that sell off a star in a loved one's name. As for that and any political campaign donation requests, what galaxy do they I'm from?
    Ralph, Corpus Christi, Texas

June 27, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
  31. calaurore9

In 2008, up there. Today, no where.

C. in Mass.

June 27, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
  32. Pete in Georgia

Where ??
    On a list of 10,000................ they would not appear.
    To actually contribute to the biggest charade since creation of mankind would be the ultimate insult to one's intelligence.
    No thank you.

June 27, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
  33. Ed from Texas

Since I'm not an eccentric billionaire who can afford to buy a politican, I'm not inclined to contribute. However, if they start selling candidates at the Dollar Store, I might change my mind.

June 27, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  34. Jeff in E. Lyme, CT

I believe all large political contributions should be made public, whether 501c or direct. In order to make an informed decision on who to vote for, we MUST know who is buying their soul & vote.

June 27, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
  35. Thinkforyourself, OK

Right after charitable giving.

June 27, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
  36. Steve

The Super Pacs, the Comedians, the Unions, Hollywood stars, and the athiests are giving all the money to their candidates.
    My measly donation would be a drop in a bucket, therefore I donate nothing. Let all the suckers donate, especially the comedians. The Unions should not, because they don't represent the dues paying members. Most dues paying members, especially Republican members, are fed up with the Unions donating to the Democrats. The dues were not intendent to be used to pay off politicians. There should be a law against Unions donating to political parties, especially to a Presidential candidate.

June 27, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
  37. Kim, Dodge City, Kansas

It is not even up for consideration. Even if I had any money, it certainly wouldn't go to a politician. They are all filthy rich already.

June 27, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
  38. Ed from California

They're our downfall. "Citizen's United", "Freedom Works", "Americans for Prosperity" etc..etc.... All these Political "Action" Compacts do is buy our government for the one's with the most money. How fair is that? A good example...If we all give $10.00 to whomever. And a Billionaire gives a million dollars to the same candidate. Who's phone call will get through to that elected person? Not ours, that's for sure. Campaign's have to free to run. The public airwaves have to give time up each day so each candidate can voice their opinion. Let the voters choose who to vote for without outside influences. No more money in Politics!! And further, we need to elect the Supreme Court. They should not be appointed at all!!

June 27, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
  39. Robert (Alabama)

It ranks just below my contribution to the big oil companies at the gas pump so that I can have a "productive" day standing in an unemployment line !

June 27, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
  40. allen in Houston

There are many ways to give Politically to your Candidate . I give my time and efforts. The only money is gas , and food to keep my going while I help my Candidate. Most working people can not afford to give more than a few dollars in this horrible economy. Real money comes from the rich on the left and right side of the issue.

June 27, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
  41. Peg in NY

Political contibutions rank nowhere on my list of spending priorities.

June 27, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
  42. Wilhelm in Las Vegas

what's the point when you can have Billionaires like the Koch Brothers or Sheldon Adelson that can throw millions into elections with their "pocket change"? Citizens United has completely changed political fundraising. the so called "small donars" like myself and millions of other citizens can NOT compete with that.

BUT WE CAN VOTE.

June 27, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
  43. Reggie53

Zilch....Nada. Will never contribute to any politician. My vote will be my only contribution. My money goes to my family and myself. I think too much money is wasted on elections and there alot of people who need jobs or need money for food and everyday living. There is too much focus on how much money each candidate is spending and its a shame because there are alot of Americans who are living in hardship and this money could be spent to generate work for them. Wasted money as far as I am concerned!!!!!!!

June 27, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
  44. Ralph in Corpus Christi, Texas

Right below sending money off to one of those star registry gift offers that sell off a star in a loved one's name. As for that and any political campaign donation requests, what galaxy do they think I'm from?
    Ralph, Corpus Christi, Texas

June 27, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
  45. Steve from Concord, CA

Nada, Jack. With the current recession, I can barely afford to fund myself. My guy will still have my support, but it'll be less financially than I would normally give on a better year.

June 27, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
  46. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

I wouldn't waste a stamp to support the USPS to send money to any of these people. Let the job creators spend their hard earned money to buy the candidate of their joice.

June 27, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
  47. Cliff Glass - Rego Park, New York

Jack,

Political contributions should not be quantified as spending, but only as volunteerism, in the form of actual work done for a campaign, such as passing out leaflets, making phone calls, and signing up voters. Let federal and state governments designate a set amount for each qualified candidate to spend based on a $1 surcharge on state and federal income tax filings.
    It's time to return democracy to the masses and away from a privileged few, like the Koch brothers and the tinted orange tressed Sheldon Adelstein.

June 27, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
  48. Loren, Chicago

Political spending is not on the radar. As has been shown by their behavior, my interests as a taxpaying citizen are not the concern of the President, Congress, my state legislature, or governor, so their interest in reelection is not my concern. Vote them all out. (And by the way, what was Charlie Rangel's constiuency thinking?)

June 27, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
  49. Martha Brooks

A few items south of room fresheners.

Martha, Rew, PA

June 27, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
  50. Randy

A more pertinent question would be who gets more bang for their buck? The middle class and poor or the rich and corporations? And you can leave out the think tank created talking point about the top 1% paying 47% of the taxes because they always seem to leave out the fact that they take in 75% of GDP.

June 27, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
  51. Thom Richer

The only political campaign contributions allowed should be a predetermined set amount of tax dollars given to each candidate. No private or outside contributions should be given to any candidate running for political office. Especially so in the presidential election.

Thom Richer
    Negaunee, MI

June 27, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  52. John Lake Charles, LA

I never have given a nickel to any politician and I never will. They are all super egotistical morons and all they care about is their own self-gratification.

June 27, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
  53. Richard Oak Harbor, Wa

I am very discouraged about the 2010 Supreme Court ruling in favor of unlimited spending for political campaigns. That gives large multi-national corporations an unfair advantage over media influence. I donate $25 or $50 every month to either the DNC, President Obama's campaign or Washington Senator Maria Cantwell. Democrats may be outspent this election but my vote is not for sale and I will support those who will protect the interests of America's middle class instaed of the Party who represents CEO's who export and outsource middle class futures.

June 27, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
  54. Dan from Stewartstown PA

Jack, I'm taxed at 32% and a portion of my IRS contribution is paid to "Big Oil" so they can pay for ads touting how clean, altruistic and caring they, then they contribute to many PACs and campaigns. Therefore, by default, I make political contributions and I do not like it one little bit.

June 27, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
  55. itsmeagain

Political contribution -– well, it's on the bucket list. We have strong political
    feelings in this election so we'll try to make some donation. It's like voting -–
    participate or quite complaining.

June 27, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
  56. Karl in Flint, MI

Well, Jack, I have moved them up a little this year. They are now ahead of the second Rolls and Ferrari and the villa on the Italian riviera but still after the first Rolls and Ferrari, the mansion in Beverly Hills and my luxury private jet.

June 27, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  57. Mark, Oklahoma City, OK

Are you kidding? I can barely afford to keep me in the cheapest food on sale at the grocery store. My dog eats better than me. Get Real.

June 27, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
  58. Dave, Orlando, FL

They rank at the bottom of a black hole. I would never, ever make a contribution to a political candidate for three reasons: First, the few dollars I might be able to afford would get lost next to the six or seven figure bribes, …ah, I mean kickbacks from Exxon, and other billionaires; Second, it would only serve to encourage them, and I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would want to do a fool thing like that; And third, if I had the “chutzpah” to tell my wife I gave the money for her anniversary gift to Obama, the last thing I’d see before a whole lot of stars would be the cast iron frying pan headed in my direction. The very next thing I’d see would be the divorce papers.

Actually, in addition to not getting a contribution from me, he just lost my vote.

June 27, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
  59. Jack - Lancaster, Ohio

Here is what I intended:

Mr. Cafferty:

It would rank at the top of a special list of mine that I doubt Wolf would approve of it's title.

June 27, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
  60. George in PA

In last place, right behind donating more tax money for corporate bailouts!

June 27, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
  61. Chandler in Rockaway, NJ

Richard Pryor used to joke that cocaine was God's way of telling you you had too much money, but he got it wrong. Is there anything more useless than a political contribution, particularly to the losing side? My economic condition is such that giving anything to politics or charity is unthinkable. I'd have a lot more respect for the right-wing billionaires if they spent their money on something worthwhile like, you know, jobs.

June 27, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
  62. Sandstone

"The way I see it, and I can't understand the bias! There is no such Label as 'President' in an election year, when you are talking about politcal elections. Obama is only President to the outside world and policies within, yet the media keep trying to program their listeners train of thought!"

June 27, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
  63. Steve, Clifton, Virginia

With the economic climate being what it is both domestically and abroad, political contributions are playing a higher priority than they would have ordinarily. My money will go to the "real" (underscore) candidate that I believe will bring the country's economic woes around. This country played the game of electing a puppet place holder as a president and he, in just 8 years, screwed up this country's economic and foreign policy in a way never seen before.. This time we have to get it right and political contributions is just one way to do it.

June 27, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
  64. Renee, Illinois

On a scale of 1 – 10, can I go below 0? With all the finger-pointing on the national debt I have noticed that neither side is offering to redirect their campaign contributions toward pulling us out of the hole. Coincidence? I think not. They're not getting a dime out of me.

June 27, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  65. Eric - Houston

Very low on a national level. After all both parties/candidates are now getting significant and fairly even funding from others, so why waste my money. Locally, I have made contributions when there is a significant issue being contested, the rest of the time very low.

June 27, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
  66. Gigi Oregon

It's a war worth fighting. When the Republican party can take billions from the rich for their campaign cost, the rich can afford to pay a fair tax to build and keep "The United States" strong... Their fair tax rate would probably be less than their gift to the Republican party to keep their power in government to feed the Elite. The best gift we can give our college Graduates this year is a donation to President Obama, the President for the People. And to remind them if you want to live in democracy we must have a free, not bought and paid for elections with donations of millions from the Elite to purchase the White House and Congress for their wealth and power...

June 27, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  67. Peter, Tarrytown, N.Y

As a person I believe what I have to say matters. I would like my voice to be heard but I'm old, retired and of limited means.

1%'er are people, their voices matters. Corporations are people, their voices matters. Their voice(s), backed by their money, will drown out my voice.

I can't compete.

June 27, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  68. Dale N.M.

Good grief Jack $16 trillion in debt spending priorities, clueless were to start.

June 27, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  69. Ray in Knoxville

Jack, now that the Supreme Court has given corporate America the right to buy America, I feel that it is important that I make some kind of donation, no matter how small. I will certainly get outspent by the Koch brothers, but at least I had my say.

June 27, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  70. Michael, from Smiths, Alabama

It ranks just below donating to so-called televangelists who don't actually use the donations they receive for the purpose of furthering God's work, but instead line their own pockets, buy them mansions, limos, private jets, and their own private island.

June 27, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  71. Burt in Az

Dead last. After being forced into early retirement because of outsourcing, it will be a cold day in hell before I'll give any of what little money I have left to the ones who sold me and many other middle class, soon to be members of the poverty class, down the river just to line their own pockets.

June 27, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  72. Dave - Phx

It's zero on my list. I would donate $20 to some national cause to recall all incumbent congressmen, but would not give them a dime of my hard earned money so they can fight for position at the corporate feeding trough of money.

June 27, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  73. ronvan

Jack: ZERO!!! They should be contirbuting to me for having to listen to all their childish jibberish!

Van: Columbus, GA.

June 27, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  74. Larry in Houston

Where do political contributions rank on your list of spending priorities?
    Answer : It doesn't "rank" period.
    I give 'em my "vote" – that's good enough.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Voted for the only republican in my life, In "72" because he promised to bring the troops home from Vietnam. I used to Vote for the "king of the earmarks", back in the 1970's – I finally figured out why Wrangel & Hatch keeps getting re-elected, term after term. When I voted for our then 90 term senator, his photo was on every billboard, every newspaper, radio ads, t.v. ads / I thought he was the one to vote for, because he would "give" everybody "free stuff"

Yeah, right – Now I know why wrangel & hatch ( and others) will get re-elected Term after Term. Truth be known – the so called "free stuff" wasn't Just free frisbees / pencils / pens / erasers / coffee cups / and what not, it was new Bridges / Libraries / Roads / another lake or pond in the state parks / enough food for the deer & fish for the next 4 years, another school close by, so you wouldn't have to go across town to attend another school and the list goes on & on. ( what a difference "earmarks" can make, for Your State)

June 27, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  75. Kevin in CA

It's on my list right after the mortgage, groceries, home insurance, gas, water, electricity, phone, medical insurance premiums, car payment, car insurance, internet, credit cards, IRA's, federal taxes, state taxes, hair cuts, trash and dog food.

June 27, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  76. Pete the Indy

I do not make political contributions, and consider anyone who does so a gullible fool – unless they're so rich that they can contribute enough to get something in return if their candidate wins. For the sake of our country, our children, and all future generations, we need to get private money COMPLETELY out of politics.

June 27, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  77. Vick, Orange Park , FL

Jack I do not give because I believe everything the candidates say but because if I do not give maybe the other low life will win! Some people you just have to vote against!!

June 27, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  78. Phil, georgia

Has to be priority #1 with Republicans trying to buy the white house......the Supreme Court has turned our elections into a Coo, which power is given to the most money. Where is their American pride, for them to just let our great admireded system to be bought by highest bidder. Justices are making their seats irrelevant....

June 27, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
  79. JM from DFW

Tea Party Strategy – If we don't invest in America, keep unemployment high, reduce the middle class, we can affect the contributions made to the Democrats, increase our exposure to the uneducated fools in america and they will follow us because they need someone they can connect with.

They have succeeded and is supported by the Supreme Court.

I have nothing to give!

June 27, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  80. Overby

I heard Obama's dog has a website suggesting that all dog lovers donate to Obama...he just keeps sinking lower and lower into the gutter and I wouldn't give him a nickel.

June 27, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
  81. curtis in philadelphia

For me Jack it ranks right behind dog-grooming and I don't own a dog, but come November I'll be voting for one.

June 27, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
  82. Nancy, Tennessee

My list got shorter this year. I removed political contributions. For those who are helping these two run more political ads, may the bird of paradise fly up your nose, twice.

June 27, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
  83. Sandstone

"More-so! When will all those little guys realise, that their piggy-banks won't change a thing, as long as rackets like the Gang Boss in Chicago creates havoc in the streets just where they choose, to collect millions to get even more power."

June 27, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
  84. manning

We will no longer have government of the people, but corporated rule of law according to the SC.

June 27, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
  85. pam, NYC

It is not on my list.

June 27, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
  86. Ethan

Political contributions for me would be a good 2nd after paying the bills and all the necessities because I feel my money actually helps the candidate.

June 27, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
  87. Jim

Jack,

I make contributions to candidates at all levels, though I imagine my support for county-level candidates counts the most. It's easy to feel like you can't possibly make a difference at the national or even state level, but the average guys actually command a lot of money, not to mention votes. There are a whole lot more voters than there are corporations or fat cats.

Jim

Reno, Nevada

June 27, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
  88. Claudia, Houston, Tx

The power to give or not to give remains with me and that's a great feeling.

June 27, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
  89. Dr. Kenneth Buchholz

Right up there with setting myself on fire with a $100 bill.

June 27, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
  90. Susan from Ca

Right up there with elective root canal procedures.

June 27, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
  91. PiedType

Political contributions don't even make it onto my list of spending priorities. And btw, Mom would have called that Obama thing "tacky."

Susan R.
    Denver

June 27, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
  92. Nicole

Didn't put that one on my list Jack.

Annapolis, Maryland

June 27, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
  93. Nell, South Carolina

Since the Citizens United ruling I've decided that I MUST contribute to candidates I support. It's my only way to fight back against corporations deciding the next election.

June 27, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
  94. Johnny, Harrisonburg Va

I never have and never will donate to a presidential campaign. Perhaps if Washington gets its act together and actually does some good (for once) I might be persuaded... maybe.

June 27, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
  95. James Pomerantz

I rank them just above death and before taxes!!!!!!

June 27, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
  96. Antoinette Sellitto/Phila. Pa.

Right after my contribution to the Zimmerman defense fund.

June 27, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
  97. Doreen Augusta,Maine

I actually would like to be able to give money to President Obama's campaign, however, I just cannot afford it as I am having a hard time surviving with the cost of the necessities of life. Romney doesn't need to ask for money because he has the filthy (emphasis on filthy) rich to support his corrupt campaign.

June 27, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
  98. Pam

Not one red cent. They've all already managed to steal or otherwise usurp more than we will earn in a lifetime! Bah, humbug to them all!

June 27, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
  99. Pete, NJ

I am sending Obama a receipt for his campaign saying that for our anniversary, I am donating a goat for a family in Africa through Heifer International. I hope Obama appreciates the gesture.

June 27, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
  100. Rudy Padgett

I wouldn't give the politicians the dirt off the bottom of my shoes...

Rudy
    Roanoke, VA

June 27, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
  101. Jeff

I would literally rather light money on fire and watch it burn slowly than to ever consider giving it to a political candidate. It's time for our government to learn how to prioritize.

June 27, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
  102. Steve

To me, giving political contributions ranks just behind buying anything with the name Kardashian on it. And I'd only do that if forced to at gunpoint.

June 27, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
  103. winnifred Simpson

Bottom of the Barrel.

Mee

June 27, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
  104. Sandstone

"Quote: 20% of us? Since when is Jack Cafferty one of us?? You're also just another critic, that can swing your own replies in answers of other's comments. We trust you Jack, but you'll never be one of us on the air."

105. David, SoCal

Food, Clothing, Shelter = 10
    Entertainment = 5
    Panhandlers = 0
    Politicians = -5

106. EJ

HAA....contributions.....thats funny.....

107. Steve in Montgomery, Alabama

Jack,
    I for one am all for political donations. I will accept all the donations the Republican and Democratic politicians will give me.

108. Marnie, Florida

I reserve what might be campaign contributions and then I give them out to the needy via generous tips for the less fortunate. And it makes my day.

109. JOHN PETRONE

The long arm of God, reaching down, could not, in any time, even touch my willingness to donate to these lowlifes (and that is the only polite phrase I can post), but I can think of many others..
    petronius

110. Marilyn Lofflin

Polical contributions do not rank in my budget. I am embarassed when my friends from Europe ask about the cost of our "democratic" elections here. The whole political system is out of control, and we are headed for a disaster if we don't get a handle on it.

111. Glenn, FL

Anyone that gives a dime to politician’s is crazy and wasting their money. Neither side will ever get anything accomplished…

112. DR

You miss the point, Jack – we have a supreme court that decided that corporations are people so if he has any chance to compete, what is poor President Obama to do? Before you criticize his fund collecting strategies, do you have alternative suggestions?

113. Don McLaughlin

The fact that candidates have the unmitigated nerve to ask for donations in this economy truly shows how out of touch members of both parties are with the plight of the average American. So out of touch, in fact, that their PR handlers appear to be oblivious to the kind of back lash this could cause. In this climate it is politically inadvisable and just plain insensitive to ask average Americans to part with their money to help these people entrench themselves even more deeply in their insular ivory towers. Needless to say, donating to campaigns is not a priority of any kind.

114. Mel

Jack I would not give either party one penny. The politicals parties ae both a big sham and until the american people wake up and throw all of these idiots out the american people will continue to get what they deserve, NOTHING

115. Joe Vasquez

It's right between buying a home and sending our kid to college, which we can't afford, in this economy.

116. Aaron

Very high. I am making less then $300 per week now, I used to make over six figures annually. Bush and republicans as far back as Reagan caused this mess. I don't want a quick fix, I want the dems to continue fixing this right. I give more then I spend on food! Idaho

June 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  117. Jenna

I would not donate to the Presidential campaign if it were the last donation I could make and I desperately needed one for a tax write off! This just makes me sick!
    Gonna run right out to my local corner, hold up a sign reading "why lie, I need a donation so I can give it to the President for his campaign run>>>NOT" This President is a complete and utter embarrassment at this point, begging? Seriously!

June 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  118. Jacque Downing

Since Conservative loaded Supreme Court ruling Citizens United, they have accomplished exactly what they were after. Delegated the average Joe Blow to the category of irrelevant and immaterial. Unless we are part of the Oligarchy who now owns the government, it's tantamount to pissin' in the wind!!!!!

June 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  119. Randy Boothe

My donations to the Presidential Campaign ranks below my donations to China. Don't you find it ironic, especailly with Obama, that they whine and cry about not having enough money? Have not noticed them cutting back on their lifestyles or spending. Biggest problem is that neither candidate actually recognizes the truth anymore. My car door is wide open if they want to get in and ride with me for a day.

June 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  120. 2 the people

Rank? How about right there with same ranking I give these politicians – $0

June 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  121. William Davis

I place political contributions high on my list of priorities. Most of what is important to me – education for the young, physical protection for my family though police and military, and the security of a social safety net in the event of trouble are government provided. I like government and government services and I detest the freeloaders who want what government provides but don't want to help pay the bill. If my contribution helps assure politicians who wil support the issues important to me – then the cost is very small.

June 27, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  122. Gary Costa Rica

Hmm. let me chick my list.....they rank first, and oh by-the-way I'm dyslexic

June 27, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  123. Cynthia --Naples Florida

In the last month, both my husband's car and mine have been broken into. Property stolen....window's fixed..$5455.00 ...
    Monday night...storms from TS Debby caused our a/c unit to be struck by lightening. $1260.00 - Solicit my family for $ for the clowns in Washington ??? Haaaaaaaaaaaa...I'd rather stick needles in my eyes...........going to the Dr. for that is more of a priority even if it was self inflicted...

June 27, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  124. Rob in Missouri

Jack, Jack, Jack... With two kids in college and one recently out, you'd think I'd be so broke as to put contributing at the bottom of the list. But you know what? Since the bought-and-paid-for team of Alito, Thomas, and Roberts are the result of GOP Presidents, I'm going to cough up some hard-earned cash and donate it to the President solely because we can't afford another Conservative on the SCOTUS. Obama wouldn't be asking for more $$ if it weren't for judicial activism on the part of the right; they are scared of small political contributions like we saw in 2008.

June 27, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  125. Larry

If i would trow my bills in a hat and pay the one's I pick out they would not be put in the hat.

June 27, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  126. L. Kafka

Rank? After taxes, bills, health insurance, car repairs, gas, food, and student loans... all my left over money is going towards political contributions... oh wait. Maybe incumbents should just cash a little out of their investment accounts that are doing so well. Then they can use their own tax penalties to fund wars and other useful projects. Win-win.

L. Kafka, Wagner, SD

June 27, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  127. Evita P. from Los Angeles

Paying for political mess in America in NOT on my LIST.....I believe this abusive bribery prone, "pay to play" system should be abolished, just like slavery,,,IT IS NOT LEGAL in any CIVILIZED COUNTRY,,including Canada,,,G o and visit Great Britain, France, or Germany ,,they are all LAUGHING at American Politics,,they have Parliamentary system and no Money involved, They cant believe Americans are so DUMB participating in this schammm.... Evita

June 27, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  128. Melissa P

It's not on my list at all!!! I am having enough trouble surviving everyday expenses, I won't throw money to already wealthy politicians for banners and trash talk advertisements. They are wrong on so many levels asking for money from the people who are already struggling under their decisions!!!

June 27, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  129. James G. Needham

Where do campaign contributions rank with me? Right up there with a colonoscopy.

June 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  130. Matt

It ranks well below a chia pet or any other useless thing. Ironically it would move to number one ( over beer) if any candidate would commit to true campaign finance reform, with low set spending limits by office such that it will remove the clear and disgusting conflict of interest. A conflict that would never be accepted in the business world.

June 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  131. Kyle from Indiana

I haven't even thought about giving to any political campaign. I think our taxes dollars pay enough for the two parties. We should really take a look at the Libertarian Party; they don't take any tax payer dollars. Also, I think it is extremely rude to ask people for money on what might be the only good day of the year for them. Go stick your hand out some more to the people who actually have money and aren't living pay check to pay check.

June 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  132. Nell, South Carolina

When the Republican budget came out with substituting health insurance from private companies for Medicare I decided I would give everything I could to the Democratic Party. A health insurance company cancelled by father's health insurance just before he got sick with cancer. Those health insurance companies are out for their bottom line - not for my health.

June 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  133. Miguel

No where , government has the idea now that we work for them, instead of them working for us, Washington is one of the highest income earning cities in the united states, no politician makes less than 6 figures a year, i'm sure that they can raise the money with their inside deals and lobbying to meet their greedy needs.

June 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  134. Art (Green)

C'mon Jack, stop being such a hypocrite! 95% of that money goes toward buying advertising time on TV stations like yours, hence supporting your lunch. If you really want to stop the constant begging for money, get on the bandwagon for total public funding of campaigns – or elimination of all political advertising from the people's airwaves.

June 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  135. suncitywalt

If there were a candidate I could support, i'd make a contribution, The last potential candidate to get my support was Gingrich. I don't often get fooled & make bad decisions like supporting Newt, so I'm saving my $$ for my increased health care costs, realizing BO will probably win.

June 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  136. tom kirby

Jack: this is one time I will laud you for your comments...Have they all really lost touch with reality? That reminds me of a catholic priest at a sunday sermon saying to the congregation," put your money in the basket before you pay the butcher , the baker, and the candle stick maker...did not go to church for 10 years after that...these politicians are so out of touch with the poor and middle class that it makes me sick. I vote independent, not poor, not rich, but retired and a viet nam vet, and I really fear the direction we are headed.

June 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  137. Harry

Paying politicians is ridiculous. I'm from Chicago. In Chicago, the politicians pay us to vote. The more times we vote, the more they pay us.

June 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  138. Mike

Life savings if term limits imposed.

June 27, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  139. Dan

Political contributions our on the bottom of my list. I am lucky to have a job and thankfull as I support my wife that is on disability with MS, and my 82 year old parents that ran out of money 3 years ago and try to live on 1000.00 a month Social Security. Why dont the Politicians take it out of thier own over paid pockets. The fact they would even ask common Americans just makes me sick.

June 27, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  140. Jacque Downing

By the Way, that goes for any elected official who doesn't Goose Step to Corporate Big Money directives.

June 27, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  141. Elizabeth Slocomb

The only campaign contribution that I ever made was to a local representative who walked her district and knocked on every door, every term. I always gave her enough for a new pair of shoes. I haven't seen Romney or Obama at my door.

June 27, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  142. Rob

Well, considering each of the donations made to the opposition party's candidate which never fall below a million, its the fight to the top where policies are made in favor of the top 1% and the little guy has no chance of competing and getting himself/herself involved in the process. Maybe call this corruption?

June 27, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  143. Joyce Clifton

Contributions to my candidate is number one on my list. Romney 2012

June 27, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  144. carolyn

Where do political contributions rank on your list of spending priorities? On the very bottom, after saving for my first Barbie Convention!

June 27, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  145. marcy from margate, florida

Funny that you should ask, Jack. Every day I receive at least five request for a donation $5.00 or $3.00 for my
    representatives that are millionaires. Let them use their own money to run for office. No matter which party
    wins in November it will be the same old, same old. I use my money making donations to the animals and to
    help my neighbors that are out of work and on unemployment, like having them paint my house, mow my lawn,
    wash my car, walk my dog and pay them so they will have a little extra money to pay their bills. Keep up the good questions Jack.

June 27, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  146. Michael in Albuquerque, NM

Is there a level below absolute zero? I think that it is that level where I would stop corporations and PACs from donating also. That way they won't have the money for those TV ads.

June 27, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
  147. Don

Ha, They are not on any spending list of mine Jack. As a matter of fact I am trying to figure out how I can stop paying taxes. The government does NOTHING yet I am still paying for them to be in office. Give them extra money, heck I want a refund of the money I have already given them.

June 27, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  148. Dave

Well Jack I will donate in proportion to what they have done ... both the right and the left.

ZERO

June 27, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  149. Lonzie Johnson

Ranks toward the top of my list. It would be a sound investment, even for a few dollars. Furthermorer, either of us may avoid military involvement, the completion annilation of the middle class and American dream as we know, and the sell off of America to foreign investors who give to gambling moguls like Adelman and Ho!

June 27, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  150. Ted

I do not have any money for our POOR leaders..But i do have some used tolet paper they can have to clean up the crap they are passing around..

June 27, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  151. Dottie Willard

Right behind scraping loose coins from the bottom of my purse. Until these political buffoons do something to prevent jobs from going overseas, straighten out healthcare so a minor hospitalization doesn't drive my family into bankruptcy, and can get a rein on the gluttony in corporate America and Wall Street......they won't see a penny from me!

June 27, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  152. Ben

My government wastes enough of my tax dollars that the idea of giving another cent to any politician at any level is absolutely preposterous. The arrogance of those running for office or trying to remain in office on the backs of those who they have enslaved with a national debt that will not be erased in my lifetime just shows how truly out of touch they are. I am already formulating my plan to take the money I have saved, invested, and earned the hard way by working all my life and moving to another country where I can live the rest of my life in peace without the stupidity that has come to define American politics.

June 27, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  153. Dora, Brownstown Michigan

Jack, I found a penny today. Who should I donate to? HA!

June 27, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  154. hscheff04

Political contributions do not exist on my list! In fact, I am more likely to give my hard earned money to a homeless man who would like to use it to pay for his hotel room or his nightly "Tall boy" of budweiser. I think it should be illegal to run a campaign the way they do these days with hundreds of millions of dollars being used on ridiculous commercials that we have to endure all day long. Until that changes, contributions will never be on my list of priorities!

June 27, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  155. A Southern Lady - North Carolina

I have sent some contributions to the President but, with the overwhelming amount of money generated by Citizen's United that goes to Mitt Romney from the Kock brothers and all the pacs put together to let him purchase the presidency, little contributions like mine get lost. However, I feel I must support a good man.

June 27, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  156. Doug - Dallas

Well Jack it ranks low enough to not make the list. If I'm going to waste my money, it's going to be on something with better odds like the lottery, slots, horse racing or the line in Vegas on who's going to win the election.

June 27, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  157. Robbie

Between college and trying to buy basic groceries, asking for campaign contributions is almost asking, "Hey do you want to sleep in the streets?"

June 27, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  158. Jim NICASTRO

it rates right up there with having my spleen removed!!!!!

June 27, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  159. Richard Simms

Nowhere...........you can thank the Supreme Court for their ruling on allowing unlimited funding from lobbyists who now own all of the politicans.............

June 27, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  160. Katie

I have three kids to support and my husband is about to be deloyed. As far as a contribution from me this year, they should not expect any. Especially since our "leaders" are so willing to use military pay/benefits as a bargaining tool and threaten to suspend military pay just for political gain. Our leaders seem to have no interest in compromise or making our country better, its all an act and they all benefit whether we suffer or not... I will be happy to donate to presidental/congressional campaigns as soon as we move them to a performance based pay system! If we did that our "leaders" would be as broke as the rest of us and might show some interest in making some productive decisions for America.

June 27, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  161. Linda Williams

Really , why don't you mention all the other parties too, instead of pointing out the Dems. It would give you more credibility

June 27, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  162. Justine

Giving to campaigns are not even on my list. Just yesterday I received an email from the Obama campaign asking for at least $51.00... Yeah, like a student trying to pay for college is going to spend $51.00 on a campaign just so they can clog up her world with more attack ads. I just find the Presidents campaign insensitive.

June 27, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  163. Jack Purviance

I refuse to give any political donations. It is obscene the amount of money that is being spent on ads that absolutely have no relevance. The candidates receive air time during the debates and all we hear are catch phrases , half truths, or down right lies.

June 27, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
  164. Kandyce Koop

My income is very limited but I still manage to set aside a monthly contribution. It is shameful that only 2% of the American population contribute to the canidates of their choice. These people do not run on osmosis and the public needs to support their candidates, especially now or we will no longer be a democracy with all the billionaires running the presidency!

June 27, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
  165. Curtis Traverso

Zero on my list. Why do they want my money when Billionaires and Millionaires contribute so much. It's not like the Presedent is going to come to my home to have a fund raiser. My name is not Mark Anthony.

June 27, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
  166. J Allison Marlowe

Our meager contributions give us some small hope that we can have some impact in saving our president and country from being bought by Sheldon Adleson, Donald Trump and friends. You weren't exactly unbiased... were you? Curmudgeon is the word that comes to mind.

June 27, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
  167. kenn

Not even on my list, wish there was someone else to vote for,

June 27, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
  168. Drew Powell

Campaign contributions in lieu is obnoxious, but like it or not, it costs a lot of money to run a campaign. If more of us (average Americans on both sides of the isle) donated to the candidates of our choice, perhaps our elected officials would take less from the oil, banking, pharmaceutical, and insurance industries. The only way to get good decisions or any decisions at all out of Capitol Hill is with long overdue campaign finance reform. And no, corporations are not people.

June 27, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
  169. Carol in California

If the 99% don't get on the ball and contribute something, corporate spending will buy our election. I'd rather have democracy than plutocracy and the only way to fight the big bucks is with lots of little bucks! Forget the gravy boat. If I request a political contribution to save democracy, that's my choice!

June 27, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
  170. Drew Powell

Campaign contributions in lieu of gifts is obnoxious, but like it or not, it costs a lot of money to run a campaign. If more of us (average Americans on both sides of the isle) donated to the candidates of our choice, perhaps our elected officials would take less from the oil, banking, pharmaceutical, and insurance industries. The only way to get good decisions or any decisions at all out of Capitol Hill is with long overdue campaign finance reform. And no, corporations are not people.

June 27, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
  171. Ann from San Luis Obispo

Our priorities for political contributions rank about as high as we are a priority to politicians. In other words, not at all. If politicians ever again decide to govern fairly, represent everyone (rather than only the interests of the very wealthy), and work together for the common, we might feel differently.

June 27, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
  172. Lawrence Mabry

Jack,
    Right up there with climbing Mt. Everest in my boxer shorts, flip-flops, and a Mitt Romney for President T-Shirt.

June 27, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
  173. Midge

I was on my way home from the supermarket, thinking about starting a blog about how screwed up our country is. While most of us are suffering, celebrities and politicians flaunt their wealth (including news anchors and the like) and still have the audacity to ask us to buy their stuff, make donations. I wrote a check for $26.00 today for basic groceries....I don't get paid until Friday. I barter for my hair care. I daily have about an eighth of a tank of gas as I cannot afford to put in more that $10 at a time. My family doesn't have healthcare, don't go to the dentist, wear clothes that are ripped up, old, torn, don't fit, don't take the dogs to the vet, don't care for our car....I could go on and on and on. I tried to reach out to the party I am registered in and never get a response. The middle class is hosed. I work as a teacher assistant and get paid year round, thank god. Ten dollars an hour sure goes a long way for a family of four. I have been looking for summer work and second shift work for months to no avail. My husband is an entrepreneur but is not doing well. I have a Bachelors degree, my husband an MBA. Our children look at us like we are insane when we tell them they must get a college degree to be successful.d By the way, my oldest was a freshman at a state college last year. He may not be able return because of our situation. Hey, you people at the top, especially you politicians, WHAT ABOUT US?

June 27, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
  174. Ann from San Luis Obispo

Please add "good" following "common". Thanks.

June 27, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
  175. Marj

i would donate, only if they all followed Jim Leach – no more than 2700.00 from each person, only from people that were residents of Iowa and no superpacs or special interests group allowed.

Until then, my response is "Nuts"

June 27, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
  176. Sandra from Texas

What's the point of donating? We the People can't compete with corporations, Super Pacs, and foreign money. If we don't change this, their really won't be any reason for me to vote either.

June 27, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
  177. David

Well, Jack, as a federal worker, this time around campaign contributions are a matter of self-preservation. The Mittster is itching to financially castrate federal workers so he can cut taxes for his rich buddies. You do the math. DSR

June 27, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
  178. Stephanie in Seattle

They rank at the bottom Jack...for Romney. A few levels below that for obama...down in the shameless bin.

June 27, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
  179. marybeth, massachusetts

There's not much point in donating because I, as a private person, cannot possibly compete with the Koch brothers, with big pharma, and bigger oil. It is truly a sad day because it means that the only the rich will succeed because only they will be able to buy the best government. Government is supposed to represent and work for ALL of us, not just those who can afford to give billions to the politicians. We've become a banana republic.

Oh, and your bias is showing AGAIN. Mitt Romney just held a huge fundraiser in Utah, inviting millionaires and billionaires to meet him (so they can see what they're buying), but you neglected to mention that, focussing solely on President Obama's fundraising efforts. Mitt Romney earned more than $22 million dollars last year–he of all people could surely afford to fund his own campaign. Why don't you mention THAT?

It's all of them–it costs so much to run for political office–from the filing fees to the cost of ads to travelling around the country. We should get the money out of politics–everyone has the same amount to spend, everyone has the same amount of airtime, for print ads, etc. This way the person who has the most money isn't guaranteed to win simply because he can buy up all of the airtime and blanket all of the media with ads and lies. But that would be fair and right, and I've come to conclude that fairness and getting the best person for the job isn't what it is all about anymore. It is all about money, and he who has the most money wins, and then owes those who paid for him to win to do what they want.

June 27, 2012 at 5:55 pm |