How worried are you about losing your job?
June 12th, 2012

How worried are you about losing your job?

By CNN's Jack Cafferty:

It's tough enough to hold a job these days without having to constantly worry about losing it.

CNBC.com reports on the five tell-tale signs that your job might be on the chopping block:

1) So-called mergers can spell trouble - because many jobs get duplicated.

2) Getting passed over for a promotion is a bad sign - especially if you're more qualified than whoever gets picked for the job.

3) There may be a pink slip in your future if you're asked to share your files or update another team member on all of your projects. This includes being asked to share passwords, client lists and contact information.

4) If you're assigned to a short-term project that has little to do with your regular job, it could mean your job won't be waiting for you when you're done.

5) A computer can do your job.

Human resources experts suggest there are some things you can do to help keep your job - like asking for feedback, tracking your goals and building a portfolio of all your accomplishments.

But even if you do all the right things, you could still wind up on the street. The U.S. is facing a long-term unemployment crisis. There are nearly 5.5 million people who have been out of work for more than six months.

That's about 43% of all the unemployed. Economists call it a national emergency.

And if you're not already worried about losing your job, all you have to hear is that statistic that the net worth of the average family has declined 40% from 2007 to 2010 and you'll be volunteering to work nights and weekends.

Here’s my question to you: How worried are you about losing your job?

Tune in to the Situation Room at 5pm to see if Jack reads your answer on air.

And, we love to know where you’re writing from, so please include your city and state with your comment.

1. Virginia - Atlanta

Not at all, I own my company – however, I hope that President Obama keeps his job and gets a Congress that will let him do the things he has been trying to do.

June 12, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  2. Dave - Phx

Very. I come to work each day and see thousands of Indians that have been brought in from overseas, doing the jobs that my friends, neighbors, and co-workers used to do. The president isn't killing this economy, congress isn't killing this economy, corporate greed is.

June 12, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
  3. Dave R

I'm not worried at all. I never do anything half way. I always excel. When the cuts come, it won't be me that gets the ax.

June 12, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
  4. Tom Bulger, Canandaigua, NY

Why are you afraid Bush policies will make a comeback? Not a chance. Not only did we see what they did to us, but look what they have done to Europe.

June 12, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
  5. Doug Ericson

My wife reminds me at least once a day how expendable I am. She has been reminding me for over 35 years now, if you count the 10 years we went out togeather before we got married. She knew what she was getting, but can't resist the urge to let me know which side of the toast the butter is on, something like that, its her words. I would be lying if I said I never considered the prospect of being homeless. If that ever happened I wouldn't be alone. In NYC alone homeless officials report abgout 50 thousand homeless sleeping in shelters every night. This does not count the folks that sleep under bridges and in subway tunnels, and in boxes, wherever they can find a space. I chat on-line with occupy folks who have direct connections with the homeless, who they have helped to feed on a daily basis. They say there are over 100 thousand homeless in NYC. Most of these homeless are migratory and will go South for the cooler months. Many of these homeless folks are embarrassed by their plight and shy away from public view. So even if you don't see them you pass by them every day. The Government will never be perfect in providng shelter for folks who have passed benath the unfortunate bridge. But 100 thousand humbled souls is too many for one City, in a Country that calls itself grand. Doug, Pepperell, MA.

June 12, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
  6. Paul From Round Rock, Texas

I have been out of work since September 2011 and I am still looking. One problem is I am older yet not at the magic 66 years to retire and even if I was I could not afford too. At this point I am ready to take anything I can and pray I do not lose a job again.

June 12, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
  7. Jim, Denver CO

Jack,
    I work in the Software industry, I'm always worried. But I don't let it get to me. I try to be smart about it and have money in the bank for times that I'm not employed full time. Even then short term contracts can pay decently.

June 12, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
  8. Michael Bindner, Alexandria VA

What job, Jack?

June 12, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  9. Karl in Flint, MI

My job is being retired and I fear that I will lose that if Mr. Romney prevails in November. I live on Social Security and Medicare, which I paid into for over 50years as my primary retirement plan. If he does a "Bain" to the government, like with the companies he destroyed, all benefits will go away and with the GOP mentality of entitlements being anything we receive from the government, pre-paid or not, the 1% will prevail and the 99% will die off, sorry to say.

June 12, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  10. Paul, Parry Sound, Ontario

I'm not worried at all because I've got a job that can't be taken from me: retirement.

June 12, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  11. jimmy in greenville, nc

Jack, I am so terrified of losing my job that I have begun laughing at the bossman's stupid jokes.

June 12, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
  12. Dave, Orlando, FL

Not at all. I can’t wait to loose my job. You see, my job is looking for one because I’ve been out of work and looking for eight years. Fortunately for me I am independently wealthy, but I still want to work. I hate sitting around doing nothing. Unfortunately, no one wants to hire a septuagenarian for any kind of real productive work at a decent salary. All I can get are jobs where I have to say “hi” to people entering the local Wal-Mart, or asking if, “you want fries with that,” or finding all the shopping carts in the supermarket parking lot. I’ve got a lot of talent and decades of know-how, but the reason the country is in such a mess is that no one will take advantage of that experience simply because it comes in the form of a 70 year old man. How smart is that?

June 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  13. Rich McKinney, Texas

I am not worried at all about losing my job. I am however worried about those that pay taxes losing theirs. It is bad enough that we can not possibly pay back the foreign debt owed but if any more people lose any more jobs we will have to put our governmental leaders on Welfare and food stamps. There will be no money to pay them for the sorry job they are failing miserably at running this country into the ground.

June 12, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
  14. Bill of New Mexico

I went through this stuff in the nineties.

During the eighties, my corporation allowed department heads and section heads to grow their empires willy nilly.

Then in the nineties, my coporation ran their "downsizing" every two years. Instead of cutting the fat of all of those empires, the corporation cut muscle and bone most of the time.

My corporation went to pot from 2000 to 2010. Sold some of its money making divisions. Ceased to be competitive. Lost all worker loyality. And, the empire-builders of the eighties lost their jobs. There is justice, but it is exceedingly slow.

I have been there in the middle of downsizing and it is not a good feeling. There is always demotions, but a demotion is better than a loss of job.

I have little recommendations: Even engineering cannot be counted on.

I think that it is time to really study the corporations and what they are doing. Corporations make mistakes, but corporations are smart. Corporations moved their jobs overseas. It may be time to look overseas for your career. Forget about China. India??? With smaller companies, there are more countries to look at. Australia is too U.S. New Zealand? Sweden is probably too tied to Europe. Argentina and Brazil are too dangerous.

But, you do not want to wait too late. Hindsight is golden, but your country is out there somewhere–waiting. Fixing to grow.

June 12, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
  15. Gary in San Jose, California

I'm not worried about losing my job but I am worried about my children graduating from college and not being able to find a good job. So I work past the day I planned to retire in order to cover them because, frankly, their generation is screwed.

June 12, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
  16. Pete in Georgia

I'm more worried about the hundreds of thousands of young, innocent, naive students who actually believe in the impostor of a President we now have and will actually vote for the same.
    They haven't a clue that they haven't got a chance with him at the helm.
    Beyond sad.

June 12, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
  17. Ken in Pinon Hills, California

No jack, because I'm retired. Job loss was never a concern in my work life spanning four decades because our Congress was spending trillions of dollars on defense, entitlements, state grants, pork barrel, and a list almost infinite. It appears the so-called private sector can't provide enough jobs the now broke, debt ridden government did.
    One should worry about job loss today, unless one is married to the bosses daughter or husband.

June 12, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
  18. Steve, Clifton, Virginia

Stopped worrying about losing my job about 2 1/2 years ago when I lost my job. Still looking for another job to worry about losing.

June 12, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
  19. Bizz, Quarryville Pennsylvania

I am retired and I am worried about keeping my Social Security and Medicare if Romney gets elected. If I was working I would be worried about keeping my job if the same type of people in the Republican Party get elected to Congress. That is where the problem lies they are more interested in keeping their pledge to Glover Nordquist not to raise taxes especially on the rich, then they are keeping the oath they took entering office. Once we get people back in Congress that will represent the people instead of their corporate sponsors we will be in a lot better shape.

June 12, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
  20. Mark, Oklahoma City, OK

I don't have that luxury, Jack. I will be 55 years old in September and even though I am a college educated man with a high demand skill, my AGE is a huge stumbling block when trying to just FIND a job. If young minorities want to complain about "discrimination" now, just wait until they hit 50 and try to find a job....they ain't seen nothin' yet.

June 12, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
  21. Michael "C", Lorton, Virginia

Jack: Everyday I come to work expecting to be terminated--it has become incidental to worry about it--since worry is trouble on something that hasn't happen yet. So far, I have made it the last 18 years--and should it come-it is only a job--not a life. We make a living by what we do-–we make a llife by what we give.

June 12, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
  22. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

I'm not worried. Once the GOP gets control of everything the larger tax cuts for the wealthy, no Obamacare, eliminating all regulations there will be plenty of jobs. So hang in there America, hope and change is on the way. But if you have a job, don't retire and save everything.

June 12, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
  23. Wihelm in Las Vegas

I'm retired Thank GOD and I don't have to worry about a pension because the airline I used to work for already STOLE it in a phony bankruptcy BUT IF I was still working for those crooks, I would definately be worried. the airlines are ALL trying to pay for the current high cost of jet fuel with salary, benefits and staff cuts but, of course, NOT executive pay and benefits

my former company cut piolts pay as much as 50 percent with the bankruptcy. I just hope I live long enough to see the day when the airlines, esp the so called "regionals", can't get young people SMART and SKILLED enough to fly a complecated aircraft and DUMB enough to work for what they are paying.

June 12, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
  24. jk in MN

It doesn't pay to worry

June 12, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
  25. MYSTERIOUS

My faith is in God.

June 12, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
  26. Gurgyl

For all this, this nation needs "Strict Immigration". We are letting all-very bad sign. Stop issuing ten year visas, send who break laws, stop H1 visas, J1visas etc, job-train Americans and do it right. Obama needs to do these. Watch these India guys, they are breaking laws. Watch these universities, Hospitals, bust them, nab them.

June 12, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
  27. Annie, Atlanta

Very – and I just got one after looking for almost 2 years. I replaced someone who had been with my boss for 15 years, whom he could no longer afford. That's exactly what us workers are worth out here these days – absolutely nothing. And our rights have been slowly eroded away, and this is supposed to be a good thing. Good God help us.

June 12, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  28. Bob D Iowa

Jack the only worry I have is the Republicans winning election and Railroad Ret is desloved.

June 12, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
  29. George from Raleigh, North Carolina

As a small buisness owner I suppose I am one of the job creators that the politicans keep "trying to help". If by 'help' they mean talking the economy into a hole, squashing any glimmer of recovery for political leverage or creating tax breaks by robbing the middle class then I am indeed worried, not just about losing my job, but for my neighbor's job, their neighbor's jobs, and all the other people that make my job possible.

June 12, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
  30. Gary H. Boyd

Working for a major international corporation, I'm not worried at all. That's because, after 33 years on the job, if I didn't recognize and understand the signs you outlined, I'd have been gone years ago. Any employee who has to await an annual job performance evaluation to find out how he or she is doing is not very bright. Beyond education, skill and ability is always politics. How one gets along with management and others is fundamental. If you're good at it, you're in. If you're not good at it, your out. I happen to be very good at it. It's not rocket science - it's common sense.

Gary in Scottsdale, Arizona

June 12, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
  31. American in Valparaiso

What job, been out of work going on 8 years. HR is the biggest block to getting a job. From their resume reading software to HS graduates vetting professional jobs, its a joke out here.

June 12, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  32. Larry in Houston

How worried are you about losing your job ? It much worse than a national emergency, in my opinion. I suspect it's only going to get even More Worse. I'm glad I'm out of the rat race, Jack. I'm not much younger than you, and I'm finally drawing my pension from where I worked for 28 yrs. I actually feel sorry for the younger people that is just getting out of college, or have finished some type of schooling, and are having trouble with the Job situation. Your "5 tell tale" signs is Exactly what happened at our plant, when I was working, Jack. After reading them, I can relate to every one of them, from the "merger" to the "computer" – but after drawing out all of my un-employment for 1.5 yrs, I've decided to "load up the truck" and instead of moving to "beverly" we ended up moving in a different direction. I might be surrounded with all these republicans, but at least we're not on welfare, or living on some type of government assistance. Otherwise, I would be Voting for romney if I lived elsewhere, but in my case, I'm Voting Straight Ticket, ( Democrat ) November 6th.

June 12, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  33. John from Alabama

Jack: My father worked for one company for 35 years, but today within the same time frame a person will work for 4 to 6 companies before retiring. A person in management or produstion needs to have their resume up to date. The word, proactive, means to leave before the company changes , due to merger, or company failure. I am retired, but my younger brothers and sisters, have changed employers 4 to 5 times before they have reached 35 to 40 years working. The goal of a manager or production worker is to cover your butt, so you will not be caught in the revolving door.

June 12, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
  34. Mark in Houston

Jack, we belong to that almost extinct class of people who worked hard for over 40 years, saved, did a bunch of other right stuff and are now retired.

I see little hope for those who plan on doing the same anytime in their future. The jobs that built and supported a middle class that contributed so much to this country....are dwindling fast or gone and not coming back. Corporations and their thirst for money, run the US....and I doubt they see a lot of new US jobs as something that will have a positive impact on their bottom line.

June 12, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  35. kim smith, Dodge City, Ks.

As long as there is a Republican in any office or position of political power, we should all be very afraid. Their policies are what got us into this mess, and their continued hatred of the middle-class will eventually lead to zero jobs for anyone, unless you want to mow their yard for sub-minimum wage.

June 12, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  36. Lowell

Jack how can I be worried about my job when I can't even get one. Companies all around where I live are closing or laying people off due to the economy, and the sad part is most say its due to rising fuel costs. Has anyone even noticed that just 3 weeks ago oil was at $117 per barrel and it has dropped to $83 but yet the national price for gas only dropped about .10 cents per gallon. President Obama could do something about this by opening up new drilling and releasing oil in our reserves. I voted for Obama because I thought he would make changes guess I was wrong. He won't get my vote this year.

June 12, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  37. Michael, from Smiths, Alabama

Let me answer that question this way: Job? What job? I have no job.
    Now to ask you a question, Jack: How worried am I about trying to find a new job. Answer is, VERY

June 12, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  38. Claudia, Houston, Tx

I'm retired but I worry about my daughter losing her job because her lifestyle depends on her job but she doesn't seem to worry, maybe she knows something I don't know.

June 12, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
  39. Gigi Oregon

Remembering from my school days when American history was taught (not to fear and pull yourself up by your boot straps) Jobs are the back bone of the strength of America...I'll not spread fear to the masses until unemployment reaches 20 t0 25% Many (most) households have two paychecks to live on. Even though one in 5 children go to bed hungry, few are on the streets sleeping, as in the Great Depression and Recessions. Most homeless, are veterans (what does that say about the 2 wars fought in the wrong country with NO budget to support the war or the returning troops). Until the Elite bring jobs back to the United States we should learn to live on one paycheck per family. If they throw out Obama care cancel your insurance start a health care fund or trim back coverage, support only local stores and restaurants, farmers markets etc when possible. And don't fall for a party that bad mouths our government blaming the people who have lost jobs, elderly or have health care problems not covered under insurances... but for the Grace of God their goes another of the 99%. When the 99% vote for the Elite just to please the cries of their woes because the Elite can't live on their millions and billions...they Capitalized off the 99%. Worry about the poor, fatherless, widows and the stranger in our strange country. Then maybe God will surely Bless the...99%. Because he sure hasn't blessed us since the "Watergate scandals" The best years since Nixon was the Clinton years UNTIL "The death and burial of bin Laden." After two wars and a huge war debt and thousands of troops killed (under the Republicans) we have a Democrat President and the Navy Seals with no troops lost, the capture and death of the #1 enemy of the world...

June 12, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
  40. WR Jones

Can we get Barrack Obama to answer this question? I bet he'd have lots to offer here...

June 12, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
  41. John J. Grimes Watertown, Ma.

Anyone who admits to being afraid of losing their job and then complains about unions, should get a wake up call. We have seen a decrease in union participation and an increase by many of those who are jealous of unionized workers. Had it not been for unions, there would be no paid vacations, no job security, no overtime and 16 year old kids working in horrendous conditions.

June 12, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
  42. RepublicanAllTheWay

I'll let you know when I get a job.

June 12, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
  43. Tom in Florida

I'm not worried at all. I do industrial maintenance in a manufacturing plant. Nobody in America wants my job.

June 12, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  44. Kr

Well. You have to have a job to lose one. I have been looking for three years. I have decided I am sick of being a volunteer. And no. I have not collected unemployment

June 12, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
  45. Bob in Texas

I'm not worried at all, Jack. I haven't had a "job" in ten years. I don't blame Clinton, Bush or Obama. I have no one to blame but myself. So, I eek out a living as best I can, mostly via the internet. The chances of my ever being employed again are so miniscule I've just stopped worrying and take life a day at a time. I may be poor, but I've never been happier.

June 12, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
  46. Sarah Middleton, OR

Not at all, I already lost it. I think a lot of the jobs will never come back, the businesses have figured out how to do more with less, and as long as they stay in the black, nothing will change.
    I'm currently self employed (when I can find work) and in the process of moving to Canada, where they still value and need dedicated and talented workers.

June 12, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
  47. Liz Florida

Jack, if you have an RN after your name you don't worry about losing you job. You just worry about all the people you love who have to deal with this shrunken economy without that advantage.

June 12, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
  48. yousif Smith

I'm Not worried about losing my job i already did.

June 12, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
  49. Jason from Montreal,Canada

Jack,

I worry about President Obama not losing his after watching my stock portfolio tank 70% due to the Democratic Party's policy of wanting Americans to be the best housed nation on the planet.They refused to regulate Fannie Mae and blocked legislation by the Republicans in 2005 to do just that.How did that work out?Unfortunately,most Americans are not aware of the Republican effort to prevent the housing bubble in 2005.Everybody likes to blame Bush for everything

June 12, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
  50. Bernie of Lowell.

I'd be worried, too, if your employer has just signed a big contract for contract workers in India or China.

I'd be worried, too, if your CEO says there are no plans to make any staffing cuts.

I'd be worried, too, if your company just requested a big number of H-1B visas.

I'd be worried, too, if your boss tells you – when you ask – that the long-term project you've been leading has been cancelled.

I'd be worried, too, when companies are hiring with salary levels comparable with the pay you got 15 years ago.

Me? I don't have to worry now; I got my layoff notice in December, 1993 and never found an equivalent job.

June 12, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  51. Thom Richer

Fortunately, Jack, I am no longer faced with that prospect. However, our not so illustrious state and federal elected officials keep chipping away at my retirement pension, SS, Medicare and medical benefits and that is a grave concern for me. On the other hand, I am extremely worried for my kids. Unions look to be on the way out as a protector of the working class and the job market not only saturated with applicants in just about every field of work it is near impossible or so lengthy of a process to land a decent paying position that the unemployed are so far in debt most jobs won't support them and a family. combine that with the fact that employers do not want you around long because they don't want you making more money over time, they find a way to replace you with a lower wage employee so benefits and retirement are not their expense. Our goofy minded government expects workers to work past 70 years of age with no SS or Medicare to speak of and this is so far from reality that no one is safe from losing their job at any time in their career before being able to retire in a reasonable financial position. Corporate America and Congress want and will get, at the expense of the American worker and middle class, cheap labor below a living wage and without health care and retirement costs to them. Control of the masses through economic and humanitarian deprivation is their long range goal.

Thom
    Negaunee, MI

June 12, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  52. Moto Moto

Jack, if you had asked me this question four weeks ago, I would say I'm not worried. But I would have been wrong, I got a pink slip two Thursdays ago, two days before my birthday. What more could I have done, even though my boss and I were the only one in our department.

June 12, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  53. Frances

I would be really worried about a lot of things if Out of touch Mitt Romney got elected.

What I really want to comment on is the answers you picked on the "Is President Obama in trouble?" I read all the comments, and noticed that you picked out a few silly answers, but none of the majority opinions that favored the President. That show me that you aren't being fair and balanced.
    Frances, Escondido, CA

June 12, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  54. Yuri from florida

I am concerned that I am expandable as most people. There is not a single job that could not be outsourced to contractors. You do not have to go overseas to find workers... just let go of existing ones and shop around for local contractors who will compete for contracts with fierce determination. Most of my co-workers are much older than I am so I see them being forced into retirement before they start concentrating on younglings. Corporations do not view employees as people, they view employees as expendable assets. Companies get bought and sold, employees let go and business keeps going forward. Between lost pension funds, loss of stable jobs...unstable economy... how can I look forward to a future that is filled with nothing but uncertainties.

June 12, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  55. Reid Smith

Jack,
    At 55 years old the fear isn't losing my current job. The fear is finding someone to hire me in a new job at the same level of pay. My guess is that my quality of life would change drastically if I find myself in that position. Why, even Wal-Mart is cutting out their elderly smiling greeters......

June 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  56. Sandstone

"I can't lose my job, either. But, small business is not secure, even if you do own the company! Every small business lives from contracts of big business. "

June 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  57. miriam ruvinskis

I can't be worried of losing my job because I already did. More than six months ago and I cant' find a decent job , or a job at all! I became a citizen hoping to have a better life and now I am at the bottom ! On top, my husband had a heart attack by the end of February, due to being so worried without a job for 12 months! Now we have all medical bills, no savings, at the end of disability. We really feel this is like a bad joke or a real nightmare! We are not voting for Obama, nor Romney. We are done with politics. In our late sixties we are ready for what?

June 12, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  58. Dick Kading

Very. I lost my software engineering job of 27 years and have not been able to find another. It is clear that being over 50 is a serious negative. I continue to look for some way to find work even if it is not related to engineering. The companies I have been part of and seen others work for do not have much of a conscience and deserve no respect. Also, the web-based job sites like Monster and Ladders have proven very ineffective. Its all about who you know and how well connected you are.

June 12, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  59. calaurore9

I'm afraid that you will retire and I will lose my Jack blog job.

Carol

June 12, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  60. Peon

How worried am I about losing my job? HR people are like realtors; you should never trust them. They often make superficial, shallow assessments. Like most other business people, they are typically selfish, untrustworthy and lack empathy for others. Think about it ... most human resource specialists are sociopaths - They love the power from controlling and manipulating people, as they sit at their big desks in their corner offices. Does that answer the question?

June 12, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  61. John P.

Jack, It is simple Iam as afraid of losing my job as Obama is his.
    John from Scranton, Pa.

June 12, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  62. Cee.La

In the mid eighties, the beginning of excessive corporate greed, down sizing, benefit reductions, bank mergers,we lost our job, and really never fully recovered financially....now we are retired, SS being the main income......because the private sector found a way to screw us out of any company retirement......they better not think about ending SS......the fight will be on.

June 12, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
  63. r.landschoot

sad, Jack, but you haven't seen nothing yet. When dollar tanks as did ruble and won, we'll be garage saleing everything we have. But do it won't affect you, and you're the one bright light in society

June 12, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
  64. Mark

To start off, buying a home is not an investment, it is a luxury. Yes I am always concerned about losing my job, but I do not dwell on it. We all expect so much these days. We are our own worst enemies.

June 12, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
  65. MC in TX

Most of these things are blips on the radar. They might matter more if they happened a month before the election. Really the decision will almost certainly come down to what the unemployment figures and the Dow Jones are doing over the summer. Europe could affect things too, though, it is hard to predict exactly how any particular news item might affect the election.

June 12, 2012 at 5:49 pm |
  66. Elizabeth

I am not worried, I am a Medical Technologist and there is a severe shortage in our profession. You do need an education and the drive and commitment to get that education. Work part-time, get an associate's degree, and work while you earn your bachelor's degree. You won't be worried either.

June 12, 2012 at 5:50 pm |