Are you better off now than you were three and a half years ago?
May 22nd, 2012

Are you better off now than you were three and a half years ago?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

It's the economy again, stupid; and this time around it just might sink President Barack Obama's re-election chances.

A new poll shows the president and Mitt Romney locked in a dead heat over who could better fix the economy, the top issue on voters' minds.

The Washington Post/ABC News Poll shows Obama with a three-point lead over Romney if the election were held today – 49% to 46%. But on handling the economy, the two are tied at 47%.

Despite the recent hoopla over other issues ranging from birth control to gay marriage, more than half of Americans say the economy will decide their vote. Issues such as health care, taxes and the federal deficit only rank in the single digits.

Late in the campaign in 1980, Ronald Reagan famously asked Americans: "Are you better off than you were four years ago?"

Turns out they weren't. There was a sudden 10-point swing in the closing days of the campaign, and Reagan defeated the incumbent Jimmy Carter in a landslide.

So how about in 2012? Some 30% of those surveyed say they are worse off financially today than when Obama took office in January 2009, only 16% say they are better off. This might make Obama-land nervous.

Obama's numbers on this question resemble those of George H.W. Bush. He lost his 1992 re-election bid in a rough economy.

However it's not all bad news for Obama. The poll shows voters are evenly split on who could better create jobs, and the president tops Romney on the question of who better understands people's economic problems.

Yet at the end of the day, many Americans might look in the mirror and ask themselves this question.

Here’s my question to you: Are you better off now than you were three and a half years ago?

Tune in to the Situation Room at 4pm to see if Jack reads your answer on air.

And, we love to know where you’re writing from, so please include your city and state with your comment.

1. George in PA

Yes Jack, I've had two grand children since then and another due in September. They are a blessing and enrich my life.

May 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
  2. Russ in PA

No, as Obama has one-upped Bush by increasing drone strikes – and subsesquent hatred of American policy – around the world. He's spent money like a drunken politician, increased surveilance on all Americans, and trampled the Constitution. Of course, so did so many others. And that is the point: government is the root of our problems, not the answer. So I guess I'll just stuff more worthless dollars into the mattress.

Ron Paul in 2012...

May 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
  3. Steve in Seattle

Jack - the more accurate question to ask is: is my country better off now than it was yhree

May 22, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
  4. Steve, NY

Three and a half years ago I had a job. My bank account was earning 4.5% interst. Now I don't have a job and my bank account is earning 0.5% interst. Food prices, gas prices, medical, dental bills and property taxes have gone up.
    Now you tell me if I'm better off. If you listen to the news, especially those clowns on MSNBC, they want me to vote for Obama agaion. You got to be kidding??
    Anything that Obama has promised in the last 3.5 years doesn't take place until 2013, 2014 or 10 years down the road.
    Should I get suckered in again to vote for him??

May 22, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
  5. Barbara from NC

You betcha.

May 22, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
  6. Wm in PA

Jack – "better off"? you ask.
    In short – NO!
    Local property tax up 400% to offset governor's cutting funding for 600,000 teachers.
    Medical costs are up while coverage is down.
    Energy costs are up, groceries up: cute the way the contents of the packages go down but price same or up.
    Income down and threatened to be cut off.
    Yet as voters we continue to elect governors like Corbett in PA, Kassic in OH, Walker in WI, and senators like Toomey in PA, and the crowd of right-wing-nut-lairs who are bought and paid for by their greedy owners, the 1%ers.

May 22, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
  7. ranch111

Yes. By far. But then, I live in a part of the country people want to live with no state taxes, a huge creative class, a real estate market that never tanked and is now a seller's market. Our unemployment rate is 5.5%. Don't move here.

May 22, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
  8. Mark in Topeka

This is the great question from the Reagan-Carter election. The problem with asking that question now is that President Obama has had to go to unprecedented lengths to deal with issues coming out of prior administrations, expecially the second President Bush's 8 years in office. Dealing with the financIal crisis and two wars has contributed mightily to causing our nation's finances to approach the brink of disaster, including the dollar possibly losing its status as the world's reserve currency. President Obama has been struggling to avoid a second economic depression and help the economy recover. Unfortunately, the cure may turn out to be worse in the long run. Only time will tell. Health care reform is absolutely necessary, but the issue of rising costs should have been addressed before or at the same time as the extent of coverage. The irony of health care reform debates is that the individual mandate is so weak in its current form as to possibly be ineffective, regardless of what the Supreme Court decides. I am fortunate to be better off than I was 3.5 years ago, but our country is not, partly due to the unhealthy polarization that both political parties and their media supporters have contributed to that hinder us from addressing the very serious problems that we have as a nation.

May 22, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
  9. tom Bulger

Three and a half years ago Bush and Cheney were running things. They had started two idiotic wars, dramatically cut taxes for the super-rich, and were exporting our jobs with corporate tax incentives. We were plunging into a second great depression that some economists said no miracle could prevent. Oh yeah we're better off, Bush is gone and America is back, Jack.

May 22, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
  10. Michael M

Sure Jack. Three 1/2 years ago I was going through chemotherapy. I had no work. I was looking at a bleak short future under the reign of Bush. Now I am working two days a week, and surviving on welfare & food stamps with adequate help & health. Is it optimal? No. But it's better than being in a ditch, and more promising under this administration. You see, Jack, I didn't vote for Obama under the premise that "change" was immediate or subject to my own personal wants & whims. I know that change is inevitable, it takes time, and is not inherently good or bad...it's what you make of it as you are passing through it. Unlike the entitled personalities who feel like "change" should bend tho their own egos, I have learned to live with humility, optimism & patience.

May 22, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
  11. Gary in San Jose, California

No but I didn't expect to be better off now than three and a half years ago. When we chose the bail outs we chose a long term economic malaise instead of a depression. Our elected officials don't like to make tough economic decisions because we don't like to make tough economic decisions. It's not Obama's fault or Bush's fault or Congress's. It's our fault.

May 22, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
  12. Mel - Houston

If it was as simple as that, Jack, Obama would all the votes of the all 1%.

May 22, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
  13. Jayne in NH

Yes, yes, a million times yes! When Mr. Obama took office I had been one of the "uninsurables" for nearly 8 years. I was in excrutiating pain 24/7 and wondering how much longer I could last. After the healthcare act passed I was lucky enough to get in the pre-existing condition insurance pool, receive desperately needed medical care and get my life back. I will be eternally grateful.

May 22, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
  14. Brian Samuels (Chicago)

Yeah Jack. Like Ice Cube said "I didn't even have to use my A-K...... today is a good day"

May 22, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  15. Bill of New Mexico

N o !

No cola (cost of living adjustments) for social security in all but Obama's first year. You can tell me that there is no inflation, but I have been to the grocery store and the hardware store. Forget about fuel.

Medicare premium increases are a certainty and they are getter bigger. Medicare pays less. The people involved in medicare are sloppy or incompitent and make mistakes increasingly more often. Correcting the mistakes is a harassment. Increasingly more doctors will not handle medicare patients. It must be true–the government is incapable of doing anything right.

Even my mind is less effective than it was 3-1/2 years ago.

Deja vu all over again.

May 22, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
  16. Bizz, Quarryville Pennsylvania

I feel the country is better off than when it was in the last six months of George W. I was scared as hell than. I felt we are headed into a depression and the stock market with its greed was surely going to crash. Plus the fact that we were involved in two wars did not help either. I feel better off now because the president kept us out of the depression. We're now seeing a gain in jobs and Detroit is once again making cars. We are out of Iraq, a place that we should never have invaded in the first place. I also feel I have a president that represents my interest along with everyone else's interest. I definitely do not want to go back to George W days and that is where I feel we will go if Romney gets elected.

May 22, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  17. Loren, Chicago

Just had my house appraised for a refinance after an $80,000 addition and my house is worth at best $30,000 more than what I paid for it. What do you think, Jack? No, I am not better off, but then I work for a living.

May 22, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
  18. David, in hot and sunny Tampa

Yes,only because I gave hunting a job and got on Social Security and I am drawing retirement from years of thankless toil. Oh heaven forbid, now I'm a burden on society, horse feathers. No, because now I can afford to start digging myself out of debt accrued while trying to find one of those imaginary things known as a job. I figure that by the time I get out of debt I'll have about a month to live low on the hog. Broke then, broke now, broke in the future, I'll call it breaking even.

May 22, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
  19. C Oliver

Congress need to think how mad the American voter is right now, they have not done anything for the American except
    stupid statements from the speaker of the house John Beodner taking like John Wynn, and daring picture in the sand he needs to go see a doctor!

May 22, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  20. Tom in Desoto, TX

Absolutely. The world was on the brink of disaster. Knowing the end of the Bush policies were moments away as our nation was on the brink of the abyss, all had to feel better about the economy, the future with hope, knowing it would take a long time to reverse. It's easy to run an economy aground, turning it around is a must longer endeavor, ask the auto industry for one.

May 22, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  21. EdfromMd

No, I'm 3 and a half years closer to death Jack.

May 22, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  22. Brian

Jack, in one word YES!

May 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  23. Rich in Gainesville FL

I understand that I'm among the fortunate – I'm still employed. But to answer your question, no. My gross hasn't gone up a penny while my payroll deductions for health insurance and pension have gone up so I'm making less even before considering inflation. As for where to lay blame, well, it does seem that when Republicans are in office Wall Street trumps Main Street. And when Democrats are in office, Main Street takes a back seat to Wall Street. So all of you, do us a favor. Go home and don't touch anything. You just mess things up.

May 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  24. MYSTEROIUS

Yes. My son is home from Iraq, and won't be going back.

May 22, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  25. Jenna Roseville CA

Are you better off now than you were three and a half years ago?

On a personal note, YES. Not only am I better off, so are our children, family, friends and neighbors. We ALL have jobs, we ALL have homes, we ALL have health care, etc. Our community is thriving as well as the communities where all our family and friends reside.

On a NATIONAL leve – YES we are ALL better off than we were three and a half years ago.

We are not bleeding jobs at a rate of 750,000 a month, we are not seeing record foreclosures neighborhoods are turning around and people are finding money to borrow to buy homes, over 3 MILLION jobs created (sorry if the turn around its fast enough for the Republicans – it would have been faster had they not BLOCKED everything under the sun and REFUSED to work with this president and Democrats since day 1) We are out of Iraq and we are getting out of Afghanistan, Osama Bin Laden and Ghadaffi have been "eliminated", we have health care reform, etc..

So YES we are ALL better since Obama took office and when we get him a Super Majority in the House and Senate you will see the nation move FORWARD.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

May 22, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  26. David R Bebeau,Springfield Missouri

Absolutely N O T !!!! And Jack I do not enjoy saying that.

May 22, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  27. james in north carolina

Yes, Jack, I am better off than 3 1/2 years ago. I had an aunt die and she left me a whole bunch of money. However, that is about out so unless another rich relative kicks the bucket I will be voting for Romney.

May 22, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
  28. Doug Ericson

I learned one new word today, and I think I am about to create new one. The one word I learned is aggannitt. Aggannitt is Southern Baptist Preacher lingo for against it. The new word is jackism. Or caffertization. The definition of jackism is some inexplicable twist in an otherwise common phrase. Hence, instead of 3 or 4 years ago, we get 3 1/2 years ago in todays question. Where did the missing 6 months go Mr. Cafferty? I am so frozen by this curve ball, I am struggling to answer the question. But I will try. No, I am not better off. Things were going along pretty well untill the kids started going to college about 6 years ago. They are still at it, and two of them have graduated and have decent jobs. In a better world the tuition would be tax deductible. But the greedy crooks that run the government are going in the opposite direction. Even thanks dad Mit Romney wants to take the mortgage deduction away. The only folks doing better are the robber baron government crooks and the facebook executives. Even at 30 dollars a share for FB, several of them have become billionaires. Doug, Pepperell, MA.

May 22, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  29. Tyrone Pettway Schenectady,NY

HECK YEAH! I am making over 16 an hour was making only 13 an hour in 08. The company I work for stock has went up from 20.00 to 40.00 over the past 18 months. Aside from being held to 1-2.5% annual raises while executives bear the fruit of my labor. Everything is fine and getting better for a majority of Americans, and all you have to do is look at your 401K.

May 22, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
  30. jk in MN

Yes I am. I've been very fortunate to live in an area of the country (Southern MN) plus a company that hasn't been affected too badly by the economy thus far. I count my blessings every day, Jack. I know this isn't the norm for the shrinking middle class.

May 22, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
  31. Rich McKinney, Texas

Your joking right? With gasoline now twice the price it was 3 years ago not hardly. Because of high oil prices everything has gone up in price including groceries. Obama and congress have added more then $4,728,961,872,109.08 trillion to the national debt in the 3 years since he took office with no end to spending or spending cuts in sight. No Jack I am not better off and we can not afford any more of this "Hope and Change" fairytale..

May 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
  32. Pete in Florida

Here we go again. Everything that's wrong is all Obama's fault, because he hasn't fixed quickly enough all the problems and the financial DISASTER created by the previous administration. Gee, maybe if the REPUBLICANS in Congress had been willing to work with Obama on ANYTHING, we'd be further along in our recovery. But no, defeating Obama in November has been JOB #1 for the Repubs ever since Obama took office. They've even admitted it, and y'all still don't get it! Lordy, you people are SO freakin' gullible and ignorant!

May 22, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
  33. John from Alabama

Jack: Yes, after 5 year battle with a group pf morons I am making over $7000.00 a month. Life is good. I plan several trips this summer. My case might be rare, but I believe the economy is truning around, and it maybe slow. It is getting better, and I believe some of the programs initially started by President Obama are working. I can not believe there are people who never gave him a chance. There are Unitred States Senator who did not come to Washington to govern, but their main mission is the defeat President Obama. Senator Jim Demint should give his salary back, because by taking it he is committing fraud.

May 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
  34. Ed from Texas

The economy tanked in 2008, President Obama did not take office until January,2009. The Republican complaint seems to be that he did not clean their mess up fast enough.

May 22, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
  35. Bob Melbourne, FL

We’ve gone from 7% to 10% unemployment over the past 4 years currently at 8%. Last estimate was some 23 million people either out of work, under employed or have just given up any hope of finding work. We have now a $15 Trillion debt with no foreseeable light at the end of the tunnel. We now have the highest corporate tax rate in the world. We are more divided as a people than ever with the class warfare. Let’s go back even further to when we really started going downhill in 2007 when Pelosi and Reid took over the house and senate. So the answer is “NO” dah.

May 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
  36. Thinkforyourself, OK

The answer is NO, NO, NO. Groceries sky high, gas sky high, more regulations, more uncertainty, more worry.
    Have you ever in your lifetime worried so much about the future of your children and grandchildren. NO. Obama and his CZARS are destroying the United States from the inside out.

May 22, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
  37. Ed from California

Jack, we have been going down hill ever since Ronald Regan. The final nail in the coffin came in 1999, when Glass-Steagall was repealed. That day was the opening bell for the big socialized casino opened at every bank across American and on Wall st. Where the motto was, "Privatize the gain, and socialize the loss". And it worked beautifully. The financial crooks stole 13.5 Trillion dollars right from under our noses.....fraudulent loans, loans given out to people who could never pay it back or had no intention to ever pay it back. But, it's all good,,,,,Uncle Sam will pick up the losses (Uncle Sam is all of us). And not a single person has been brought to justice. I guess it's okay 'paper" steal, and it's not okay to "physically steal. If your into some 'lite" reading...try the... Financial Crisis Inquiry Commissions.org report.........try it with some "adult" beverage, because you'll need it!! Happy reading!! Mr. Boehner, "Where are the jobs"?? Remember, you were asking Nancy last time?? So, where are they?

May 22, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
  38. Rick, Medina, OH

Jack,

It's not about me any more .... my kids, nieces, and nephews are no longer in harm's way ... I can look a the grand kids, and with honesty, tell them ... 'Daddy's coming home'
    For now, that's enough for me ,........

Rick
    Medina, OH

May 22, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
  39. Kim, Dodge City, Kansas

We haven't had a Bush or a Republican in the White House for three and a half years, so we are naturally doing better. We'll never get back the money that they and their cronies stole from our retirement, but the country is in better hands.

May 22, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
  40. Kristen

No I am not better off than I was three and half years ago. Then my husband had a job but he lost in October 2010 and hasn't worked since. I'm still on disability as I was then but I run the risk of it being cancelled. Our house is in foreclosure because we don't have any salary. Pretty much we are going to be homeless in less than a month. I will still vote for Obama though because I don't think Romney will change things in a positive way.

Kristen
    Olympia, WA

May 22, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
  41. Phyllis G. Williams

Are you better off now than you were three and a half years ago?

I realize now that God has given His children all things visible and invisible free,
    a free earth, and a free heaven, paid for by His blood, and I can feel the
    Holy Spirit quickening my body to encourage me, so we all have nothing
    to worry about (smile).

May 22, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
  42. Simon/Orlando

Seeing as I don't have a job working for the government.....NO!

May 22, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
  43. ken, atlantic city, nj

No of course not. Everthing that is not included in the inflation index is up such as food, utilities, gasoline, prescription drugs, medical care, dental care, eye care, car insurance, property taxes, college tuition, combined with a 0.1 % interest rate on savings accounts/cds, no salary increases, no jobs for 50% of the new college grads, one s.s. cola in 3 yrs, and home values decreased for the last 3 yrs. Lobbyists, oil companies, hedge fund managers, drug companies, bankers, and defense contractors have lots of hope that things will not change so they can continue to make billions.

May 22, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
  44. Jim Rush

Absolutely not but that has nothing to do with the President. He has a direct effect on almost no one. People should take responsibility for their own achievements or the lack thereof instead of believing political leaders who say different.

May 22, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
  45. Olga O. Pina

Yes, I am.

Much better now that my country felels safer; the economy is picking up; the stock market is improving and although everywhere you look, things are looking up!

Olga
    Austin, Tx

May 22, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  46. Ken in Pinon Hills, California

Most of us will never be better off because of the market system we live in. Maybe if we had a private system of business where there was only an owner and their employees. We have a third party in the businnes, billions of investors demanding never ending profits. CEO’s strive to lower wages and raise prices to make that happen, keeping us paycheck lean and in perpetual inflation that drains our personal finances.
    Better off is short lived.Jack.

May 22, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  47. Josh from New Orleans

I'm better off than most people in my city but I still sense the great economic divide from the people who are better off than me.

May 22, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  48. Joi Gibson

I am certainly not worse. And I shudder to think what I and this country will be like if Willard is elected president. That is what you are getting at isn't it?

West Palm Beach, FL

May 22, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
  49. Jim, Denver CO

Jack,
    I would say I'm a bit better now than 3 1/2 years ago. i've found pretty steady work and with decent pay. I'm holding my own and getting a bit of headway on paying down some debt from before. Not perfect, but better than 4 to 5 years ago.

May 22, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  50. Brando

Yes. Because, unlike everybody else, I saw this BS coming.

May 22, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  51. Julia, Fayetteville, NC

Yes. Haven't started a new, unpaid for war.
    Yes. He is smarter than the normal president.
    Yes. I feel my money in Congress is being spent with a little more accountability.
    Yes. I have hopes that President Obama will have 4 more years.
    Yes, we can.

May 22, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
  52. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Yes Jack we are better off today than we were 3 1/2 years ago. We retired, collect SS and are able to pay our bills and help others that are less fortunate. Most Americans will always answer this question with a NO; as we want more and more and work less and less. Just think back to a time when you were a young man during the depression.

May 22, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
  53. Mike S., New Orleans

Yes Jack, I'm better off knowing that a trickle down economic theory isn't destroying our country. I'm better off knowing the auto industry is rebounding. I'm better off knowing that our troops are no longer dying in search of weapons of mass destruction. I'm better of knowing Osama Bin Laden is dead. And I'm better off knowing that the Billionaire Boys Club is no longer in charge of our country.

May 22, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
  54. Steve

No but that's because of decisions I've made. The question should be, when voting for President, is the country better off than whenever. How can anyone argue that things are not better since January 2009? Just look what Colin Powell said yesterday for some examples.

IL

May 22, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
  55. Diallo Atlanta,Georgia

three years ago we were filled with anxiety and pessimism when the entire economy was about to collapse, three years ago, our nights were made of nightmares of a potential terror attack. three years ago being American abroad was the worst status you can claim. Now even though there still work to do, the economy is generating jobs, you can sleep safely in America without worrying about Bin Laden.No one is hiding their American nationality overseas. So of course we are better off today.

May 22, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
  56. Dave R

Yes. The country was in a recession three and a half years ago, and we have been in recovery for the last three. Despite what the "aint it awful" pessimists such as yourself say, the sky is not falling, we are still the richest and most powerful nation on Earth. We have our problems, but I would not trade them for anyone elses.

May 22, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
  57. bonnie from NJ

I have the same job with the same salary. My house has lost more value in that time span, and the costs of almost everything else (gas, grocery, utilities etc.) is higher. I don't consider myself worse off though, because I don't have to look too far to see friends, family, neighbors etc. who are having a much tougher time than me. I consider myself lucky to have my job and the current situation is teaching me to become more cost conscious. I will be voting for President Obama becuase I believe if Romney gets elected and you ask me the same question in 3 1/2 years, I will be explaining how I am trying to survive on $8 an hour.

May 22, 2012 at 3:05 pm |
  58. Mycroft Lake Travis Texas

Extremely better off Jack, Older ,wiser, and the pain of having Bush for President for eight horrific years is slowly subsiding. Clinton had the job of mopping up after Bush 1 who only held office for one term, Obama's job has been considerably harder after Bush 2 almost completely destroyed our country. I still feel for the victims of the Bush Presidency like the millions of Iraqis that were murdered maimed and tortured, the millions of Americans who lost their houses on courthouse stairs, their retirement packages do to white collar corruption. It seems like things are getting better, even if, white collar criminals and war criminals are still on the lose. I'm still trying hard to understand the complacency of the status quo ,that allows such criminal acts to go unnoticed,unpunished, but I have come to the realization that for the republicans in our society, I could careless about as a percentage USA citizenship, but I am quite optimistic about our future with the Democrats controlling the House , the Senate, and the Presidency. So I am doing so much better than I was during the vile time of the Bush 2 Presidency. Let us never go back.

May 22, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
  59. Dave, Orlando, FL

I am worse off than I was a year ago, when I was worse of than I was a year before that, when I was … well you get the picture. You can carry that line all the way back to the Clinton years when I didn’t have a financial care in the world and was looking forward to a truly golden retirement. Since then, I have watched my solid, blue chip investments, my safely diversified portfolio disintegrate. And with the heavy losses I took with GM as the last straw, I’m not sure what’s left for the future. The answer to your question has been “no” for each of the 10 previous years.

May 22, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
  60. Michael Bindner, Alexandria VA

Yes, because during this time, NIH took out my adrenal tumor for free. Economically, I am a bit worse off because I am unemployed, however the job was through a temp company, so after commuting and lunch expenses and counting unemployment, I was only making $50 more a week. As long as my unemployment benefits keep getting extended, I am in about the same place.

May 22, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
  61. Bobby Jackson MS

I'd say yes I'm much better off than I was 3 and a half years ago but better or worse is not fault of the government my well being and future success is mostly based on the results of my own choices but if this is going to be a finger pointing question I'd have to point back a lot further than a measly 3 and a half years come can we get real please ?

May 22, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
  62. Paul, Parry Sound, Ontario

No, I'm three and a half years closer to my dirt nap.

May 22, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
  63. Judy

No we are not, but not because of the president. It is because of a do-nothing congress, and the banks. Lets be clear, they are the cause of this mess, and the republicans think they should be able to do business unfettered, only to further hurt our economy, and continue to take huge risks with our money. The creatures in the financial world need to be regulated and broken up so they cannot do this again. Morgan/Chase is a good example of what is to come in the future.

May 22, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
  64. RickFromDetroit

NO, I have stayed the same for the last 3.5 years.

May 22, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  65. David of Alexandria VA

well, I guess so. My retirement portfolio is up 50% from being down 40%. But that still makes it about 25% behind where it should have been by now. I'm running out of runway here, Jack. That 25% will make a 25% difference in my standard of living for the rest of my life. If the capital gains and dividend income taxes increase as threatened, that willtake another 15% off the quality of life i planned on only 4 years ago. Fortunately, that wiull leave less to be confiscated when they reinstate the estate taxes - I guess I'll get the last laugh when I'm dead. Then I'll be better

May 22, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
  66. steve WA

I am 62 and get Social Secuity disability. It is difficult to get by and I am not better off. But I am worried that if the cocervatives get control of our government my life will get much worse because they seem to believe I wouldn't rather be working. Believe me I would be working if I were able.

May 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
  67. curtis in philadelphia

Jack, today I am better off; in 2006 I had to close my small business due to the economy. Between 2006 and 2008 I had two part-time jobs. Between 2009 and 2011, I had three part time jobs including Census work, and was able to start a small, side internet business; today I have a full-time salaried job with health benefits. The Obama economy has been barry, barry good to me.

May 22, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
  68. Pete in Georgia

NO..........................not even close.
    The lunatics in charge today have all but ruined the American Dream.
    I have worked my whole life and saved diligently to see it decimated by a combination of ruthless crooks aided by an inept, clueless, corrupt government headed by a socialist imbecile.
    Never in our 235 yr. history has so much net wealth been destroyed by so few in so short a time span.
    Beyond pathetic.

May 22, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
  69. bill j orlando

did you mean three and half years ago or 5 trillion dollars ago?

May 22, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  70. Ann from Charleston SC

Yes. I don't want to go into our personal finances, but we are definitely worth more now than we were three and a half years ago.

May 22, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  71. Jane in CA

Actually, I am. The fact that I am personally better off means nothing when others are worse off. And I can see some of those people every day. It is getting better, but too slowly to help those who are barely hanging on. Politicians who are afraid to do anything and politicians who want to do the wrong things have turned this country into a third world banana republic. We used to condemn those places for their injustices and tyranny. What has happened to turn America into a country that no longer cares?

May 22, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
  72. Bob Melbourne, FL

The President says he will focus on jobs and the economy when re-elected. What the hell has he been doing for the last 4 years? One thing is he’s been able to divide the country along class, economic and racial lines like no other could. People looked to him to bring us together and fix the economy as if he has some great insight or wisdom based on years of experience. Well he has neither. Now he want us to give him another 4 years and he’ll do what he was suppose to do the first 4. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me………

May 22, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  73. ken from connecticut

With what's going on in this country, none of us are better off, even the very rich, whether they know it or not! But on a personal level, I'd say I am, because of a more closer walk with God through Jesus, who is enriching me with knowledge, understanding, and wisdom. To bad this country and gov't is lacking such and trying to conform us into their image What happened to liberty and justice for all? What happened to our freedom and privacy? Or our free speech?

May 22, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  74. Ed from Texas

I would hope Americans would ask themselves, "Who was at the wheel when the economy went into the ditch." The recession was caused by financial crisis of October, 2008. Obama did not become President until January, 2009.

May 22, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  75. Martha Brooks

Well. Jack, I am 3 1/2 years older...and at my age, that's a biggie!

Martha, Rew, PA

May 22, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
  76. Steve, Clifton, Virginia

I am definitely better off as my investments have stopped spiralling south; leveled off; and headed north again.

May 22, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  77. Dan from Stewartstown PA

Sure we are, Jack. We no longer have President Cheney and Vice President Bush. We are also not invading any other countries at the moment. We're getting closer to determining the right rules to check banking and hedge fund abuses every day. Let's hope voters look at the big picture rather than short term talking points.

May 22, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  78. Toni

No! Had to drop out of school because I ran out of my unemployment benefits and still no job! Four years ago, I had a great job in engineering, now nothing but contract work and no benefits! Sad, so sad!

South Carolina

May 22, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
  79. Gail D. Anthem, Arizona

No, I am just as bad off or worse; however, to blame the President for it is absurd. He's not responsible for gas prices, or food prices, nor is it his fault that my house is grossly underwater. He's trying to fix the nation's ills and gets zilch cooperation from our elected leaders. We need term limits on these corpses in $5,000 suits or nothing will change. I am barely making ends meet even though I have a good job with a Fortune 300 company, good health insurance, I get a 2% raise every year and a bonus. And no, I'm not drowning in credit card debit; I pay cash for everything. I just cannot keep up with rising costs to simply live. But I am very thankful for what I have. Living in LDS country, God help us if Romney is elected.

May 22, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
  80. Gordo from NJ

Yes, it is better now. In November 2008 I was watching my business and the economy fall off a cliff, while the then President 43 was fiddling helplessly in the White House, apparently clueless about what to do. If you want to talk about when the good times last rolled, we'll have to go back to the turn of the century and President 42.

May 22, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
  81. Gigi Oregon

Things are getting better...the effects of Bush 2 are beginning to turn around. I'm happy in the way bin Laden was found and taken care of and none our young people had to die. And as soon as President Obama wins election and the fear tactics of the Elite our proven invalid... I'll breath a sigh of relief for the next three years. It will be interesting to see if the Republicans will sit on their hands for another term. Then if we could send to jail some of the corporate robbers I'd be even happier.

May 22, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
  82. Joe

Did he collapse the global economy and lose 8 million American jobs?

Of course we are better off Jack.

May 22, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
  83. June

I am absolutly better off now than I was 3 1/2 years ago. Let's keep this thing real, Obama has been in office a little over 3 years and when you consider all the things he's had to deal with since Bush left office, I think he's done a pretty good job. We've had 26 months of consecutive job growth so things are definitely looking up. I shutter to think that if Romney is elected President, we will be right were we started in 2008. He is sooo out of touch with the average Middle Class American. He will do more harm than good at the end of the day.

May 22, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  84. Ben

Yes. I now have a job in Web development (my field for which I went back to school). I was able to buy a house. I got married and am expecting a daughter. My 401K is at 17% gains for the year. I have paid off my credit cards and now only have long-term secured debt and for once in my life have enough extra money to start investing in stocks. At the end of the Bush administration I lost my manufacturing job, was without health benefits and was living off of credit. My life is much, much, better now.

May 22, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  85. Gman

Am I better off? Well, lets put it this way. I would be much worse off if the Republicans were still running things. Rememeber these are the same people who brought us this "depression". Can you imagine what would be in store for us if they win the next election?

May 22, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  86. Ken Wayne

I own a small internet business, we are down 50% since Obama was elected. I do not see any light at the end of the turnnel with Obama getting re elected.

May 22, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  87. John

Seriously. You used the Washington Post Poll...Why didn't you point out that only 22% of the poll participants were Republicans? And 32% were Democrats. Obama is in serious trouble and yes I am worse off

May 22, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  88. Karen

Absolutely we are better off. Your survey said 30% said they were worse off. They are confused. They must be thinking of their 401Ks which were 30% lower when President Obama took office than they are today. My 401K are I are at least 30% better with hope for the future.

May 22, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  89. Chris

That is a very Cynical question. It's intenet is to undermine the President. You can never get an overwhelming positive response because the answer is mood driven. Wake up Caffeity! Were you better off in 1993 than you are today?

May 22, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  90. Robert

It's no surprise that Obama's "shoot from the hip" and disjointed economic policies has made most Americans worse off than 3 years ago . . . me included. Last time I checked, we were a capitalist economy where individuals and businesses drove their success and prosperity. Obama's policies have and will continue to displace hard working Americans unlike any other time in our country's history.

May 22, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  91. John

May 22, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  92. Daniel

Jack: I am definitely better off than I was three years ago. I've found a great job, was able to buy my first house for a great price, and am saving for a comfortable retirement. What else could a young man really ask for?

Daniel in California

May 22, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  93. Jeff

No Jack. Laid off twice in 4 years due to funding. Not what you expect in America 10 years out of college. Something has got to change...

May 22, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  94. Gotham Dating Partners Inc.

No, I am not better off. I was Better off under Bush, Under Bush, as an African American, I knew I didn't have a chance in hell. Under Obama, I still don't have a chance in heaven or hell. What I do have under this Administration is hope, and that is the worse thing in the world to have is Hope; especially if it is built on a weak foundation.

May 22, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  95. Bob in Texas

Yes, Jack, I am better off. In 2007 I was nearly driven out of my advertising supported business and struggling to stay afloat. Today, my business is getting back on track, ad revenues are climbing again. By the end of this year, I'll be back to where I was before the Bush Administration did their damage. It's been a lot of work, but I did it with the help of an ever improving business environment, at least for my business. So, yes Jack I'm better off than I was three and a half years ago.

May 22, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  96. Jon in Tempe, Arizona

Yes Jack, I absolutely am better off. I now own a house (I had never owned one before) thanks in part to Obama's $8000 first time homebuyer tax credit plus the fact I was able to get it incredibly cheap due to the housing crisis. I worked hard and was able to keep my job even when employment was going down so I was able to buy some things really cheap. I received several raises. In America people have simply gotten lazy. There are lots of jobs out there but no one wants them because they are not some cush job in an office sitting on your behind. If you really want to work there is work out there. I know of several places that are hiring but can not get enough people to come in and apply. Americans have became very pretention and are too afraid to take a job below their dignity. Wake up America!

May 22, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  97. dklucius

definately worse off. retired senior with a little savings but no real interest or dividends on savings. the cost of living is increasing every year with more spent on utilities and groceries and clothing and medications. if it keeps up will have to dip into savings each month to pay bills.

May 22, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  98. Margot in Washington

Yes, we are. Our retirement investment plan haw not only recovered, but grown. We can go to the ATM machine without fear about getting out our money. We paid off our home and have health care and work. No, we can't overspend and no, we can't run up debt. But, you know what????That kind of crazy spending should NEVER come back. This country was out of control with it's demands for more, more, more. I hope we all learned a big lesson-government wasn't the only source of these problems, was it?

May 22, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  99. Peter

Yes....Much better.

May 22, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  100. Manya

I am better tha I have been in the last ten years. I own a house , have a great job with health benefits ( thanks to union)
    Enjoy the direction of the country to enhance science education . President obama is thinking ahead for the growth of our country.
    I hope he wins so I continue to have a good life.

May 22, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  101. Dan Milwaukee, WI

Yes. I graduated from college, and although it took me 9 months to find a full time job, I am now employed as an engineer. Not only that, but I now make enough money to move out of my parents house. My spending provides a small stimulus to the economy and hopefully makes others better off.

May 22, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  102. Mark in Houston

Yeah we are Jack...money wise. We're retired, and as sluggish as the market has been lately we have a lot more than when when Bush and Cheney were running the show.

And you can bet I'm not going to be voting for anyone who thinks going back to anything resembling their policy will be best for America

May 22, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  103. Kirk from Arkansas

I have been living in the good ole days for over 60 years now. Greatful for a great country. Appreciate what you have not what someone else shouild be doing for you.

May 22, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  104. Ben Wagner from Pennsylvania

Yes I am, the fact is that President Obama has done tons for the economy. Cant say the same for Romney. So I will vote for Obama.

May 22, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  105. Leon from DC

Yes, I am better off than I was 3 years ago. I went back to school improved my skills and got back into the market. Now I have a job and a viable career path. We forget that this isn't the 50's when we'd have 1 job out of college all the way to retirement. Get educated, improve yourself and stop complaining because life isn't fair. It never was to begin with.

May 22, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  106. Michael, from Smiths, Alabama

Jack, I'm no better off now than I was 8 years ago, under George W Bush. However, unlike the vast number of Americans who want to blame Obama for the current state of the economy, I realize that 8 years of Bush economics cannot be repaired in 3 1/2 years of Obama. Therefore I urge all my fellow Americans to stop criticizing Obama, vote for him in 2012 and give him the benefit of the doubt. Romney will be too busy firing people and not hiring, anyway.

May 22, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  107. mms55

yes and if the gop hadn't blocked everything the president wanted to do it would be even better.i'm looking forward to 4 more years with president barak obama in the drivers seat.

May 22, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  108. Barbara, Algonquin, IL

We are absolutely in a better spot than we were. I am proud of this President and pleased that he is doing his best to drag the country out of the economic depths to which we fell. Wish I could say the same about Congress and Republicans in particular...they are willing to go to unheard of and dangerous lengths to hurt the President and by hurting the administration, they are causing tremendous collateral damage to the country.

May 22, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  109. jermel

Yes! I'm great. I made more money the last two years, and my health is good. I paid less income taxes over the last three years. so what is their to complaint about...

May 22, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  110. Overby

I'm an independent and didn't agree much with Santorum, but I loved it when he came up with the statement: "ObamaVille is not a happy place".....once you figure that out, it's easy to see who to vote for, well, as long as his running mate isn't a Palin.

May 22, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  111. eddie gordon

My college educated daughter had to move back home due to the economy. We're spending more money while taking in less. Are we better off financially? NO, but our lives are enhanced by the laughter and family experiences that money can't buy. We don't blame the president, we are just believing he will bring back the glory days of prosperity. He's for the middle class and has our vote!!!

May 22, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  112. Papa Githiomi.

Papa
    Port st lucie fl

Good afternoon Mr Cafferty, I am much better off financilly I am working, saving and living without the looming fear of an economic meltdown and the choice between Mitt Romney and President Obama for me is clear President obama is a proven leader and we need consistent motion to keep the ecomony going we have come a long way since 2008 and we are going to make it

Thanks

May 22, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  113. Mike

I'm better off then I was 3 1/2 years ago because I'm in IT AND I'm a hard worker... however I think the country is in worse shape and heading in the wrong direction.

May 22, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  114. Emily

Three year's is like a lifetime for a late teen, early 20-year old. There's no doubt that the Obama Administration is counting on the "youth vote" this time around.

May 22, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  115. Allen Becker

Are we better off that during the auto industry bailout GM shutdown a lot of dealerships and stopped mfg the Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn, and divested Saab?

May 22, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  116. Annie in California

My husband and I are much better off. 3.5 years ago he was unemployed after being laid off from a tech company, he now is gainfully employed and I have a job in social services and will be starting a graduate program in fall. We now see the real-estate market as a buyers market and with interest rates low we will be able to afford a house.

May 22, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  117. The Left Wing

About the same, but things are improving now rather than about to collapse.

May 22, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  118. Arthur from Massachusetts

You bet I am. and so is the country. Are autos are number one again, employment is down, good but not great, I have great healthcare thanks to Obama, The markets are up and so is my modest retirement. I feel safer when I travel and fly The only thing that might make me worse off is to have Romey back in power, one of the poorest Govenors our state ever had.. Things are lookig up. Too many people have amnesia and forget how bad things got after the Bush yrs. Obam has almost been a miricle man to get many of the jobs back.. Things could be better, but I remember when they were a heck of alot worse.

May 22, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  119. Bill Arrowood

No way. My former company released their earnings yesterday. They downgraded their outlook for the home improvement industry for the remainder of the year. This has been the same story for the last 3-4 years. I've never seen a downturn in the economy this bad and this long in my 59 years. It's time for a change. There is no optimism about the current administration.

Bill from North Carolina

May 22, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  120. Ron PHX AZ

Jack, few people will say they are better off now. The real question you need to ask is who do you blame. I blame Bush and the do nothing no compromising republicans in office now. Bush dug the whole and the republicans controlled congress refuses to fill it.

May 22, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  121. Matt

Jack,

I may not be better off, and many Americans may not be better off, but how much better would America be under a President Romney after establishing policies that will only help enhance the power of corporations and their wealthy controllers to erode the middle class further? Will America be better off under a President Romney that sees the continued destruction of the social safety net? Will America be better off with Supreme Court judicial nominees acting on behalf of corporate interests and the religious right? Better off without regulations to protect the environment we live in? Things might not be great, but it's very likely they'd get worse for ordinary Americans with a plutocrat like Romney in charge. America, you need to think in the LONG term, not the short one.

Matt
    Saint Augustine, Fl.

May 22, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  122. DRD

NO WAY!!! Two years ago IBM laid me off becase they were moving my job and thousands of others to Europe. They told me mine went to Hungary. We need politicians who will stop companies from moving thousands of job overseas. We need a president and a Congress that will get the economy moving and growing again. I live in the Tampa area and have looked 2 years for a Project Managerjob in IT and Tampa is such a depressed area (jobs and hosing) there is no work here. Jack - take up the case– no more jobs going overseas and politicians - work for the people and stop working for yourselves!!!!!

May 22, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  123. Henry in Maryland

In a word, yes. As Bush Jr was ending his reign, the economy was in free fall. My life's savings and IRA were tanking. I faced uncertainty about future medical bills. Today the markets are vastly improved, by investments seems more secure, private jobs are slightly up, and the USA has joined the rest of the civilized world regarding health care affordability. Romney wants to undo this, and reinstate the policies that crashed the economy. Things are far from perfect, but the trend under Obama is up; Romney wants to reverse the course. I'm voting for Obama.

May 22, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  124. Cab

Absolutely not!! I voted for him in 2008 and have been apologizing ever since.

May 22, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  125. Michele Hughes

Yes! For one simple reason, I don't have short term memory loss. Just prior to Obama taking office we were on the brink of financle disaster (the country), the stock market was upended, the housing sector was in the toilet, and we had no hope that our leadership was able to steer us forward. At least we are somewhat going in the right direction. Is it as quick as we'd like NO but President Obama never gave any illusions that this would be quick. I say stay the course and lets unravel this mess intelligently.
    Michele H.
    Virginia Beach

May 22, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  126. Martin

Jack I am better off than when Bush destroyed this economy and this economy will keep getting better as long as people don't make the same mistake of 2010. You know very well that the republican agenda is to destroy the middle class in this country.

May 22, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  127. Ira

I'm not Jack. 3.5 years ago I was working and had money in the bank. Today I am unemployed (laid off last month) and posting this from my living room at 1:20pm since I am not working. My savings is being used to offset my expenses that an unemployment stipend does not cover. This is the first time in my life I have been without a job and it is depressing. I have applied for 22 positions that I feel I am qualified for, so far one phone interview, four tests (this is law enforcement/public safety sector), three go pound sand and no response from the rest as of yet.

This takes a while and I need to be patient, but I want to be earning a paycheck I don't want to be collecting unemployment. So in short 3.5 years ago "hope" and "change" had a better ring to it than now.

May 22, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  128. dan11mtz

Is my father better? At the age of 55 my father cannot find a full-time job and has to work three part-time jobs to make ends meet. Is my mother better? She also can't find a job to help her cover her medical costs. Is my sister better? My sister has been forced to give up college for the job barely paying enough for food and rent. Am I better? I am trying to do all I can to cover my college tuition. In all of these cases, the answer is "No!" Living day-by-day is only better if you weren't living at all before this administration came in.

May 22, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  129. janis aimee

Of course we are not better off, but that was by design. Remember when Dick Cheney said "deficits don't matter"? His next sentence (thought not spoken) would have been: Because it's the Democrats that willl have to bear the burden. Then he would chuckle like the Penguin in the Batman movie.

May 22, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  130. Larry from Fort Lauderdale

My portfolio is back to where it was before the crash and my finances are far better. This without doing anything or making changes. Many of my friends report the same situation for themselves. So I do consider myself far better off than I was four years ago and feel confident that most of us will be in better shape, financially, during and after the next four years assuming President Obama gets reelected.

May 22, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  131. Frank

Yes, I am better off today because me and the wife sat down and hammered out a budget to get us back on track.

3 years Later we are credit card debt free, have not missed a payment on our mortgage and have manage to save enough money so that we are not living from paycheck to paycheck.

It's a shame the Congress and our President can't do the same...

May 22, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  132. Tim

Colorado Springs, CO
    Are you kidding me? Better now than 3 years ago. Not even close. It's been a steady decline since the day he took office at a rate of 10% a year in salary. 4 more years would leave me working for 20% of my orignal salary. But hey, on a positive note, I'd join to 45+% of the American population NOT paying federal taxes.

May 22, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  133. Renee, Illinois

That's an incomplete question. Better question: Are we worse off because of Obama or because of the Bush/Cheney legacy? Let's be very clear here people, Wall Street doing whatever it wants caused the majority of our economic woes. Romney has no real friends outside of Wall Street. He'll take us straight back to the same policies that got us into this mess, destroying the little progress that's been made, and what's left of our economy will go the way of Greece. The Republicans want to institute the same austerity measures that are burying European economies. Are we so foolish that we not only can't learn from our own mistakes but also can't learn from others? Right now we've got protests in the streets. Give the economy back to the Republicans and we could see riots, or worse.

May 22, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  134. Holly in CA

Weekly phone and email messages from our local elementary school used to contain announcements and reminders. Now they've become a platform to beg parents for money and supplies. When a recent message went out asking for lightbulb donations I realized our local economy had hit rock bottom.

May 22, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  135. Ben

No, I'm not better off. So many people tout Obama's extended unemployment benefits, health care plan, etc. Who pays for it all? We do. Who paid for the bail-out of Wall St.? We did, and not one of the "too-big-to-fail" scoundrels took a hair-cut. Taxpayers footed the bill at 100 cents on the dollar. Fat cats get fatter while the rest of us get by.

May 22, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  136. Shane, Ohio

I’m doing better today than I have my whole life. I’ve gone to college for the first time since I dropped-out of high school and went to work (to slave) under the “free” market. I don’t want to loose this opportunity to full fill my potential. Potential that I squandered for years as a working man and I know I can’t rely on the benevolence of businessmen. Obama gets my vote again. I don’t know who’s working for me but I know who’s working against me and everyone else in the proletariat.

May 22, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  137. Optomistic Thinker

Yes, by far. I use to have to drive 18 miles one way into work and now I work from home. For the first time in about 7 years, I received a modest salary increase along with a yearly bonus. I was also able to provide the same impact to my employees, so things are looking up and I am one of those that see more hope for the future. I also believe part of the slow recovery is due to a Republican conspiracy that basically threw the country under the bus. They are sitting on trillions of dollars and not reinvesting in America. They proclaim to be holding on to their cash because the economic needle is being adversely influenced by the Obama regulations. Jack, do they think we do not know "they are the needle."

May 22, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  138. Ursula Hunsucker/Asheboro NC

No, i am not better off. I blame the "NO" Congres and i hope people will wise up and vote a lot of those NO NO's out.

May 22, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  139. DocA

Who in their right mind thinks it will take 4 years to clean up 8 years of George Bush's mess due to failed policies. Surprise surprise, Mitt Romney is pushing the same policies and he thinks we are stupid? It is Bush/Romney Economy, we are not stupid!

May 22, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  140. mary

Yes Jack. I am a small business owner in Colorado with several restaurants. I have been in business for myself for over 20 years, opening my first at age 27. I have seen many different economic climates. We were suffering greatly before President Obama took office, most of us just didn't feel it until it all crashed. Although I had to close one of my restaurants (ironically a restaurant that I hosted a party for the Gov of Iowa during the 2008 Dem Convention!) we have been seeing improvements for the past year! Strongly in support of President Obama.

May 22, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  141. GARYHALLENTERTAINMENT/LOS ANGELES

Jack, why are you asking questions that are not relevant to today's economy, the 1.8 trillion dollar question is why didn't the so-called "JOB CREATORS" create some jobs with the tax cuts they got from Bush at the beginning of his presidency, after the 8 years of massive tax cuts for the rich, the country was still losing 800,000 jobs a month when Bush left office, now jack, instead of trying to lay the problem in the lap of Obama, Ask that question instead of trying to make it look like its totally Obama's fault!!!

May 22, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  142. Susan

More important statistic is "are you worse off"! We are the same, grateful there is an economy left.. If you add the 50% not in the survey total to the 13% that are better off, you got 63% who are on the positive side. What's the problem with that? Sue in Pittsburgh Pa a swing state! And proud of it!

May 22, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  143. Floyd

Yes, yes I am better off now than 4 years ago. 4 years ago I was an unemployed recent graduate with a masters' degree. After 6+ months of unemployment and 1.5 years of under-employment, my wife and I are now both fully employed in careers that make use of our degrees. Am I where I thought I would be 6 years ago? No, but things are much better than they were.

May 22, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  144. Bill Pa.

Yes, the country is better off than it was when Obama was elected, however, if people feel they are not better off blame the republicans in congress for that! they conveniently forget that it was their president that ran the country into a ditch. It was Bush that got this country into two unfunded wars that ran up the deficit to over 4 trillion and they refuse to help this president do anything about it. Let's not forget the statement from Mitch Oconnel early on that its his job to defeat this president anywhy he can...translation, keep the economy down and the people will blame Obama.

May 22, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  145. Jan

Most polls show that Americans think we are still in a recession. We haven't been in a recession for a long time.
    So how about facts, instead of feelings?

President Bush inherited a balanced budget and projected budget surpluses.
    Eight years later, President Obama inherited a looming Depression, hundreds of thousand of jobs being lost each month, the Dow Jones at 6600, two unfunded full-combat wars, a Social Security Lock Box that was burst open and passed out to the Fat Cats, and trillions and trillions of dollars in debt.

We now have no Depression, no Recession, no Iraq War, nearly no Afghan War, the Dow touching 13,000 and hundreds of thousands jobs being created each month.

YES, WE ARE BETTER OFF THAN WE WERE FOUR YEARS AGO.

And Reagan hasn't been in that Presidential debate for THIRTY TWO YEARS!
    Jack! Can't you do better than this?

May 22, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  146. Lynn

Being retired, what affects us the most is the low interest rates on our savings and iRA money market. The interest used to help us with high food and gas prices. These low interest rates are very hard on retirees, and give us less discretionary spending money.

May 22, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  147. Jeff

Yes, new job increased my salary by 30% and cut healthcare costs 75%. Much better off. So is the Country if we compare the last Quarter of Bush's presidency to this past quarter in all economic indicators.

May 22, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  148. Cee.La

Yes we are better off Jack.....and many I know whose 401k's had tanked...have recovered and are making gains....maybe we should be thankful for what we do have.....and BTW for those zealots who have forgotten......we have aCongress that appropriates the money........presidents DONT ..........jeez you would think we would know that by now....

May 22, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  149. john d

yes, i am better off. the ecomony is improving but we still haver more to do. Bush and Cheney are gone and hopefully ther bvoters will see that the tea party despite some good ideasd have failed to govern because compromise is an unknown to them. Romney would juts put is back to the Bush years will tax cuts we cannot afford.

May 22, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  150. Thomas Henley

Most people I know are worse off for the last four years. That's across a pretty wide range of the social, economic and political spectrum. I don't actually see the economy turning around until and if they ever get a handle on runaway gasoline prices. You can create all the low paying non-living wage jobs in the world, but if a vast majority of a person's discretionary income is sucked up by over priced but vital incidentals, the economy is never going to thrive amongst low income and wage earners.

Somebody needs to get that. As long as the highest possible common denominator is going to be catered too exclusively while ignoring the struggles of the lowest, then the economy will only continue to become more moribund.

May 22, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  151. Bob in Pa

In someways yes, in lots of others no! It seems as if every advance is set back two fold by some move the Federal Government makes. We really do need to return to less Fed and more local and state control.

May 22, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  152. Peggy Howard

We are much worse off as a country than under Pres G W Bush. Obama has got us into some spots you have to pinch yourself to see if they are real. He is the worst president since Jimmy Carter. He can't lead, and everything is all about him.

May 22, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  153. TiredOfPaying

In 2008 I was laid off after fixing programs for a small company so that they could hire a Salesman to sell the products I fixed! Then I spent 2 years looking for a job, finally getting one (and my first paycheck) just ONE DAY before my house would have gone into forclosure! If it had not been for Extended Federal Unemployment Benefits, there would have been one more home in forclosure and 5 more people out on the streets. Today, I've turned a temp 6-month contract into a full time job, abeit at a salary I had 10 years ago. Yup, I'm better off!

May 22, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  154. King

Yes, I am better off today than I was 3 years ago. When Pres Obama took over from the neo-cons who started an unnecessary war in Iraq, the economy was on the brink of disaster. The Iraq war is over, and the Afghanistan war is about to end soon.

In Massachusetts, we were 47th in job creation with Romney as a Governor, but today, we have one of the lowest unemployment rate in the country. I am better off now that Mittens is no longer a governor here. Good riddance!!

King, in MA

May 22, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  155. TG

Yes, I am better off than 3 years ago. It is getting better. We are all better off with Obama in office. At least President Obama knows who the middle class is and is trying to help those of us who are there. The Elite Republicans don't have a clue how to be responsible for all. All they know is how to spread fear; deregulate to fill their pockets; and continue to push the rest of us into a poverty hole. Hopefully, all Americans, for the sake of the wonderful USA will vote the extremist Republicans out. If anyone wants to spread fear – just think about how scary it is to think that Romney would be in charge.

May 22, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  156. Steve, Washington, DC

Yes. The economy had just contracted 9% during the last quarter of 2008 and the banking industry was frozen and about to collapse, not to mention GM and Chrysler which were considered doomed at the time. President Obama and his team prevented another Great Depression. They killed bin Laden and many other Al Qeada leaders as well, followed through on Iraq, helped to free Libya, and are in the process of removing us from Afghanistan, which Bush/Cheney so memorably screwed up. The economy will take awhile to heal after the fiscal crisis of 2008, but we are on the right path.

May 22, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  157. Joseph

The better question is "Will I be better off four years from now under Mitt?" The answer in both is no. The Republicans will undo everything that President Obama has done and revert to the policies of President Bush. When Obama took office the nation did not change overnight. The policies in play at the time were those of Bush and not Obama's.
    I really do wish the Republicans win the election so every American can finally see that you don't run a country like a bussiness or visa versa. I don't owe anyone money and live a simple life, I will not be affected but everyone that depends on Social Security, Medicare and Social Services from the Government "Hold on , it's going to be a bumpy ride".

May 22, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  158. Roald - So. California

Absolutely NOT better off, along with most in our neighborhood....middle class has become pretty much redundant around here. Very high-Employment, Economy, Infrastructure in disrepair. However, local, state and federal governments continue to waste money. i.e. over watering of Parks and Freeway embankments, electricity, lights on under freeway overpasses left on 24/7/365!

May 22, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  159. thomas_paine

I sure am. In 2008 I was working for a company that was taking me for granted. In 2009 I changed companies and got a 45% pay raise. As of 4 months ago, I'm the technical lead for the NASA Morpheus simulation at Johnson Space Center.

May 22, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  160. Joan

You are asking the wrong question Jack. The President wants to put school teachers, policemen and workers on bridges, etc. back to work but he can do absolutely NOTHING with a do-nothing Congress. Then he was left with two wars that wasn't paid for and taxes that favored the rich. The GOP have made up their mind that they are not going to help the President no matter what even if the country goes down the drain.

May 22, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  161. MC in TX

Financially I'm better off than in 2008 because I had been layed off. I am not better off than before 2008, though. In a general sense we are still recovering from our losses back then.

In a broader sense, though, the country is better off and I feel a little more secure because we have a responsible administration ago. I worry, though, that the disfunctional Congress could still derail all of the forward progress that's been made.

May 22, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  162. Rich

Absolutely better! I'm still traumatized from the "Great Wall Street Robbery," at the end of the last administration, but I'm starting to feel normal again. I'm not cringing anymore from the words of President W. The neo-cons are off the world stage. Mr. Cheney even has a new heart. Financially, I'm about the same, but I feel like the future is brighter. I just hope that I don't have to worry about being trickled on again.

May 22, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  163. Mad Mike

NO.... In December '06.. DOW was at 14,000 – unemployment was at 4.6% – deficit was $260Billion...
    Then in January '07 the Looney Liberals took over the Senate and the House!  For 2 years DEMS had both Houses AND Presidency. All The country got was Obamacare and people who say that their insurance is better now than it was then are lying, it basically hasn't even kicked in yet. Silly people

May 22, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  164. Steven B

No it isn't. I was out of work in 2008 until 2010. Yes I found a job but I am finding thing much more expensive for everyday items. I blame oil for a lot of the issues we have today. The high cost drives up everything we use today. Our economy won't get any better until we find ways to lower gas prices, bring jobs back to the US and for the middle class to make more money in their paychecks.

May 22, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  165. Clif Evans

Not a fair question. President Obama took office as the economy was spiralling out of control. He saved us from catastorphe. Sure, he made some mistakes, but the alternative Republican plan of no plan would have led to disaster.

May 22, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  166. brenda drake

yes and yes and yes we are better Off than we were 3 1/2ears ago. poll OR no dumb poll the real america your not polling those of us who work to providie for our families recognize who's @ work forus!! OBAMA(CAN I HEAR PRES.) HAS WORKED FOR THE PEOPLE !! WE WILL BE OUT IN DROVES IN NOVEMBER 2012 FOR OBAMA EVEN MORE SO THAN 2008 AND THEN ASK THE QUESTION. THE POLLS MEAN NOTHING TO US ! Rommney is ony for those he live with the very rich! He is not about saving any jobs only building more traps and helping the rich get richer. we have access to better health care, saving our homes and the job market has increased by 4 mill and still steadly increasing. we are ending the war and finally our troops are beginning to come home! yes we are better off!

May 22, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  167. Aston

Gas up +100%.
    Utilities up +40%.
    Groceries up +60%.
    Medical up +35%.
    Personal freedoms – gone.
    Number of deadbeats living in the US – rising.
    Wages Stagnant.
    Defininetly No.

May 22, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  168. Holly from San Diego

In the past 3 years our family grocery bill has doubled, as well as gasoline, utilities, and health insurance premiums. Our house has lost $100, 000 in value. My husband works in health care and hasn't had a salary increase in 3 years because of Medicare cuts. My small business in hanging on for dear life. In the past 3 years we have been unable to put away a single cent toward our 401K or our 4 kids' college savings accounts. So financially speaking the answer is "no", we're not better off than we were 3 and a half years ago.

May 22, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  169. Todd in South Windsor, CT

C'mon Jack. You're better than that, sir. Yes I am. Even despite the Guardians of Plutocracy's best efforts to keep the economy down (party first, country last: we know how they operate). My 401K has rebounded, I know OBL is dead, and my kids can remain on my insurance - not to mention that I don't need to worry about pre-existing conditions (that is unless the politicians in the Supreme Court get involved).
    Get real, sir. Our country is not bleeding out jobs like it was and we are growing them and let's state it AGAIN...in spite of the GOP's obstructionist policies.
    I'll be damned if I vote for a vulture capitalist who could care less whether my job, your job, or anybody else's job (except his of course) got outsourced to China.

May 22, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  170. John Illinois

NO! Inflation way up, more and more welfare, lying about unemployment, high gas prices, push for more socialist agendas, etc. We are much worse off than 3.5 years ago and spiraling downward if he gets elected again.

May 22, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
  171. Jimm

There is no question that country is better off now:

At the end of 2008, the US was losing 800k jobs per month, now we are gaining jobs
    At the end of 2008, the economy was in free fall and there was panic in the markets. It has stabilized
    At the end of 2008, the stock markets were near 15 year lows, they are near record highs now.
    Even housing and manufacturing are coming back.

Adn that is just on the domestic side.

May 22, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
  172. Jim from Albany NY

Not even close – my kids have debt no honest man can pay (and they are 8 and 10) the racial tensions are coming to a boil – the economy sux, too bad I cant take 17 vacations like the first family or play 75 rounds of golf – we have all been taken for a ride.....

May 22, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
  173. Louis in Maine

Yes, we're better off with President Obama. The problem we have is that Americans are impatient and want what they want now and don't care what it affects. I'd rather have a Dem president who thinks in the long term rather than a republican who wants to place a band-aide on issue that may never heal.

May 22, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
  174. T S Minervino

Three years ago most people were still in shock but still had some money left. Since then they lost thier jobs spent thier money and were trying to recoup. However if we still had good reporters people would no that the democratic congress submitted 68 bill to try and improve our economy(many of which most economist agreed would o probably done it) but a republican senate managed to filibuster every single one without as much of a read thru. How do you blame a president for our economy with a obstructionist party who care less about our economy and more about defeating a president.

May 22, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
  175. John from Oregon

Jack, it is not all about ME. The question should be 'is the nation better off than it was three and a half years ago', and there is no way to avoid the obvious answer...Yes it is, and it will get even better when the GOP gets to learn in November that obstructing the legitimate functions of government is not rewarded by the citizens of this great nation.

May 22, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  176. livingston

Yes. When Bush jr. was in office the economy was in free fall. I didn't expect overnight recovery because it didn't happen overnight. It was 8 years of bad decisions that got us there. Now, slowly the country's economy is getting stronger based on long term goals instead of short term fixes. The question should be are you in better shape now then you would have been if things had stayed on the same course.

May 22, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  177. Boo

I am. I was unemployed for 5 months but found a job in my profession at a higher salary. And if the conservatives say the opposite, I suggest you ask them if they just came out of their comas after Bush left office.

May 22, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  178. Mike

GM is Alive. Osama is Dead. the United States is NOT in a Great Depression. Iraq is over. Progress is being made on Green Energy, Education and Housing Reform and we now have Universal Health Coverage. Still a long way to go, but most Americans ARE better off than they were 3 1/2 years ago, by any factual measure. To say otherwise would be a flat out lie

May 22, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  179. Randy

These political one-liners that are asked to us common folk every year by the corporate media are so tiring that it's not even funny anymore. How about some new ones for a change like; how has having billionaires instead of millionaires and a shrinking middle class helped the country? Or, how much is too much for one person to have? Billions? Trillions?. Wouldn't a better term for a country with a bought off congress and president be a fascist state instead of a democracy?

May 22, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
  180. david price

This trickle down economics cleverly disguised. It will never work. It is just an excuse for less regulation and reducing taxes on the rich. Reagan put a dagger in the hearts of the middle class with his war on unions. If the swing voters fall for this again the robber barons of Wall Street will continue to rape the economy. We need to reign them in by laws that result in long jail terms. If the swing voters fall for it at this critical time I will leave the country again as I did upon bush's second term.

David in WA

May 22, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
  181. KS

We are in a better place than 2008, at least we are in a recovery mode and not hiding from the imminent crash and burn demon laughing at our front door.

May 22, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
  182. Meg Eberle

Status quo here - I am no better or worst off if we are speaking just in economic terms. Four years ago is not relevant though - it was the end of the Bush administration right before the economic crash in the fall. The questions should be "Are you better off than you were three and half years ago." The answer is we are likely better off as a country - the economy is moving forward slowly and we avoided a major depression. Neither party can produce a quick fix - we are entering a new global economic era and we need to adjust,, adapt and be creative and stop complaining.

May 22, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  183. Joshua Ludd

A better question is are you better off now than you were in 2000? The answer for most is a resounding NO. Why, then, would you want to elect the party that used the same policies it has been using for the last 30 years and that brought down our economy and left us with this massive debt... because if you didn't know most of that huge increase in the debt since Obama took office came about because unlike the Bush administration, he actually put the costs of our two wars on the books, rather than leaving them off to the side to make things look rosier than they actually were.

May 22, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  184. BC in LA

I'm Ok but my company is in worse shape.....

May 22, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  185. Ed in California

Economically, NO! Still retain a positive outlook which be a form a dementia related to my age :-)

May 22, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
  186. JP

I am better off, but feel much worse about future because of the national debt. Four more with Obama and our kids are doomed.

May 22, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
  187. John

No, I'm not and with growing debt the future looks even less promising. Obama made promises he failed to live up to it. You can blame others all you want but for the last 4 year 2 in which he has had the majority on the house and senate Obama pledges of Cutting the deficit, bring unemployment under 8% even closing of Gitmo has all been false promises. Time to a real leader enough with this man who entered the white house as the least experienced man in US History to be President

May 22, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
  188. byebyegop

Heck yes Jack! I was part of a large layoff by a private company because of down sizing just before the bubble burst in 2008. I was lucky or blessed to be hired by a government agency and have been employed with them for over 4 years now and had to deal with furloughs and may yet deal with more in the near future. I work an honest days work and don't have any sympathy for these large companies who claim they are the job creators. This economy is tough for everyone especially for the poor and working class. How am I supposed to feel bad for someone who had to sell their Lexus or Full sized pick-up truck to buy a brand Hybrid???

May 22, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
  189. Penny Nickels

No, Jack. We are far worse off than we were in 2008. Still looking for a job after nearly 3 years unemployed. Oh yeah, you say "there's plenty of jobs now!" Well, you try paying the mortgage and bills working at McDonald's or Wal-Mart. Go ahead, try it. I dare you. Do it without having to declare bankruptcy in a few months. Yeah, lots of jobs...

May 22, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
  190. Corey

My 401k is no longer loosing money in fact it's made quite the come back. I feel for all the people who bought out or sold their stock. I upped my contributions and got much more value for it since the prices fell so far. Now I'm starting to reap the rewards. I still have 30 years left and by buying when stocks were low is sure going to make retirement that much more enjoyable. So yes I'm much better off then I was at the end of Bush's term and I will be even better off in 4 years when Obama's second term is up. Sadly the GOP cannot admit they were wrong. One of the worst human traits is not being able to admit when one is wrong.

May 22, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
  191. Brad, Portland, OR

The rich are definitely better off. The average person is better off in that they DIDN'T experience the Great Depression II that was shaping up when George Bush left office. Obama, through stimulus spending, was able to blunt the edge of the economic disaster looming; we only got a Great Recession instead of a Great Depression.

Going through a recession isn't any fun, but a depression would have been far worse.

Unfortunately, Obama doesn't get any credit for an economic disaster averted, but only the blame for a lack of wild prosperity.

May 22, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  192. JeanneLH

ABSOLUTELY YES!! Would anyone want to try and clean up the mess of George W and Dick Cheney? Let me say it another way...would anyone who was NOT really an American want to attempt to clean up the status of the United States at that time? The world opinion of the America was rock bottom. We were in two wars. Wall Street crashed because of deregulation...Osama was still calling the shots. Oh, and Romney was still trying to buy the Presidency....OMG where would we be if he had been elected?

May 22, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  193. cog in the wheel

Yes, much better off–in the sense that the country and economy has been stabilized. A nuclear arms treaty, end of the idiotic Iraq War, elimination of many Al Queda leaders, slow winding down of the Afghanistan war, a stable US auto industry, a healthcare law (imperfect but a start) some new financial regulations (imperfect but a start....)

Could it have been better? Yes, with more cooperation from the GOP.

May 22, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
  194. Willie12345

What a cruel joke. Putting a $ 16 Trillion debt on our children and grandchildren is a crime. If anything, we should feel ashamed for letting this happen. Unemployment is still very high, with many under employed. We're going nowhere fast .....except into further debt.

May 22, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
  195. Mike in SA

Financially? No. Profesionally? No Personally? Yes.

May 22, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
  196. Jim Campbell, St. Paul, MN

I am hanging in there. Gas and groceries are up, but I am making ends meet. The fault doesn;t lie with Pres. Obana, and I will vote for him again. I just wish he would tell Atty. Gen. Holder to go after those who caused this mess.

May 22, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  197. Marie MD

A RESOUNDING YES!!!
    My 401k has gone up since losing half of what I had in 2008, the price of gas has fluctuated but the naysaying fools and talking heads that no nothing about everything were wrong about $5 gasoline. The housing market is doing better. Companies are hiring again. What's his face is no longer with bain, or is he firing people.
    Yes, I think we are ALL doing better.

May 22, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  198. Larry in the Black Hills of SD

I am so much better off now than I was 3.5 years ago it isn't even a fair comparison. OBAMA has my vote. Anything is better than a return to the failed, anit-regulatory policies of the GOP.

May 22, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
  199. alex

Obama is right he is giving everybody a "fair shot" actually a sure SHOT AT FAILURE with his policies and lack of leadership!
    Divisiveness and too much politics isn't hope and change.

May 22, 2012 at 4:53 pm |