April 24th, 2012

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Unemployment is hitting home. Big time.

Nearly 7 in 10 Americans say they know someone who has either been laid off or lost their job in the last six months, according to a new Gallup Poll. And that's the highest in Gallup's history of asking this question.

Numbers like these could have huge political implications for President Obama come Election Day in November.

More bad news. Only 21% of those surveyed say it's a "good time to find a quality job," while 77% say it's a bad time.

This is actually an improvement from last year, when 90% of Americans said it was a bad time to find a job.

This is interesting. Even though most Americans know someone who has lost a job, only 15% say it is "very or fairly likely" that they personally will lose their job or get laid off in the next year.

The national unemployment rate is at 8.2%.

Hiring slowed dramatically in March, with employers adding only 120,000 jobs, down from 240,000 jobs in February.

While the unemployment rate declined a little last month, it's because people dropped out of the labor force.

Economists surveyed by CNN Money predict the unemployment rate will slip to 8% by the end of the year.

But 8% unemployment could still present a huge challenge for President Obama. Eight percent is a far cry from the 4.4% unemployment rate before the recession.

President Obama might want to take note. Since 1948, only one incumbent president has won re-election with unemployment at more than 7%. That was Ronald Reagan in 1984.

Here’s my question to you: How likely is it that you will be laid off or lose your job in the next six months?

Tune in to the Situation Room at 4pm to see if Jack reads your answer on air.

And, we love to know where you’re writing from, so please include your city and state with your comment.

Posted by
Filed under: Unemployment
  1. JD in NH

It won't happen unless I lay off myself. I'm self-employed.

April 24, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
  2. Ted

Speaking for a lot of people out there..sadly..they do not have a job to lose.

April 24, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
  3. Karl from Flint, MI

Speaking as a trained, certified and licensed professional retiree, I envision a long career for myself and don't foresee any layoffs in the near or distant future.

April 24, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
  4. Jim, Denver CO

Jack,
    Next six months? How about next month. I work in the IT/Software industry and the HI-B visa and other visa type programs are killing the US STEM worker. Congress needs to kill it off, and the companies complaining about not finding qualitied people need to hire local first. There are a lot of "qualified" US STEM staff available. The C-level people need to quit being so greedy.

April 24, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
  5. Noel Sivertson New Mexico

Being retired I am not worried for myself. But I do worry about my three working children and three working grandchildren so I am not immune from those worries. When my son was out of job for over a year before he found employment I constantly worried about him. Not even those who do feel secure in their jobs are immune from those worries if they have working family members and friends who might their jobs or are currently unemployed.

April 24, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  6. Bill of New Mexico

That has already happened. And, it is happening everywhere especially if you have been with your company a while.

1994: I lost my job, but got a transfer.

1996: I was demoted, but happy that I had a job.

2000: I lost my job.

I keep in contact with some of the people, but these people are being let go at ever younger ages (below 50, now.)

Except for VP's, no one left is older than 50.

Raises and promotions over a few decades makes your salary too expensive.

Workforce of the future, if you wish to work to the social security retirement age, you must be prepared to give up raises in order to not become too expensive.

Yes, I know about inflation, but do you want to keep a job?

April 24, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  7. Mel - Houston

I'll have to recuse myself on this question since I've been unemployeed for nine and a half years and now am to old to work. Just a suggestion though don't work for a company as a contract employee if you over 50 years old. Politicians always talk about people can work as long as they want. That's fine as long as you work directly for a company or own it.

April 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
  8. Loren

I'm whistling in the dark. The "recovery" has proven to be chimeric, and my employer is doing everything it can to survive this next year. My biggest fear is that the Obama is reelected and views that as a mandate to do the things he wasn't crazy enough to try these past three and a half years. Chicago politics is the worst thing that ever happened to this country and what's even worse is that the media is too blind to see what a snake hole it is. As unrealistic as the Republicans may be at times, they at least are not as cynical as the Chicago politicians brought into the White House by Barack Obama, their only concern is their reelection without regard to the damage that they are doing to the economy.

April 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
  9. Steve, Clifton, Virginia

Jack

I have twins who graduated from a Virginia state college last may 2011 and they have yet to secure employment. Their mother and I would be happy and grateful if they even had jobs where they were concerned with the likelihood of being laid off or losing their jobs.

April 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
  10. Dave, Orlando, FL

100% unlikely. My job is perfectly safe and immune from termination. I’m unemployed. And with Obama running things and clowns like Rick Scott, it looks like I’m going to stay that way.

April 24, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
  11. barbara in nc

Depends. If the republicans win, I expect everyone in the family will be unemployed.

April 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  12. jim in nc

No worry at all. The company owner is a big Obama supporter and would not dare lay me off until after the election. I'll probably be toast after November even in Obama wins.

April 24, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  13. Brando

Not a chance. I'm NOT mediocre. ;)

April 24, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
  14. Ed from Texas

The best job security I know of is being a soldier in Afghanistan. Of course, there are occupational hazards.

April 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  15. George in PA

As Ernest Hemmingway wrote, "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee".

April 24, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
  16. Bizz, Quarryville Pennsylvania

I am retired but my neighbor who has been laid off twice has now been working steady and told me they have plenty of work. The place where I used to work only had a few employees working for them. Now they have hired several new employees and started a second shift. I am hearing more and more from different friends and acquaintances more jobs are available. In Lancaster PA a local store that has been closed for several decades is now going to be a business that makes algae into energy. For the shape are economy was in when president Obama took office I really did not expect this much of a turnaround this soon.

April 24, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  17. Steve

Totally impossible, I don't have a job now (but did have nice interview today).

IL

April 24, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
  18. Gary in San Jose, California

It is highly likely that I will lose my job in the next six months but that's life in Silicon Valley. Our start-ups typically get sold or go under in three to five years so we're used to changing jobs every few years. People who stay at one company too long typically have trouble finding a job with another company in this area. Maybe other parts of the country can learn from us.

April 24, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
  19. Richard Texas

I am a rancher Jack and people need to eat so I think I will be fine in the near future as long as we have a decent amount of rain. Last year we had a drought in Texas and we were hit very hard and had to sell livestock in order to keep them alive by moving them farther up north. You will most likely see a rise in your grocery bill this year due to the drought. I hope you and everyone else keeps their job or we might all be looking for an unemployment check line to stand in.

April 24, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
  20. Lisa in Denver

I am worried for my husband losing his because he has been sick, on and off, since Jan. Poor guy cannot get well.
    So glad he has health insurance; I do not. I hope and pray he will able to keep his job. So far, so good. But I think most of us worry....we worry on Sunday, dread Monday: will today be the day we get canned?

April 24, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
  21. Brad, Portland, OR

Unless the government steps in and makes outsourcing our jobs to India and China illegal, or unprofitable, corporations are going to keep laying off Americans.

It's stupid that we allow Americans to be laid off by corporations, the jobs moved to factories overseas, then we allow the corporations to import the goods tariff-free back to the US.

Corporations argue that it keeps prices down, but how much cheaper is your pair of Nike's sneakers now that it's sewn by 12 year old Chinese girl instead of an American adult?

Prices don't come down much, but corporate profits and CEO bonuses sure go up.

And if you don't have a job or any money, a small price drop on Nike's doesn't help you any.

April 24, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  22. Joe Johnson

Eustis Florida
    Jack in just 4 short weeks I will no longer have a job. I have been putting applications in all over the place. If the economy is better I can't see it from where I stand. My wife has a good job working in the health care system well that is unless the changes coming puts her out of that job. No doubt this administration has not kept it promises we really need change and now!

April 24, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
  23. Doug Ericson

My job is very safe for the next few months as the wife likes the 1 acre lawn mowed for free. I am much more vulnerable in the Holiday months when I am deemed much more expendable, and the family regards me somewhere between the two dead dogs and the newspaper boy. My wife is on her way as I write this to get me a new push mower. Last year mower is still good but it is a 21 inch which takes more time than a 22 inch. I choose to use a push mower to get the excercise. As for the other folks, I think the question should have been for a year from now. I think you would get much different answers to the question in that time frame. Doug, Pepperell, MA.

April 24, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
  24. Thom Richer

Not likely. However, when enough workers are laid off or unemployed that it has an impact on Corporate America, Wall Street and the wealthy 1%, something will damned quickly be done to get people back to work. Until then, they will continue to bleed the working class until we are dry.

Thom Richer
    Negaunee, MI

April 24, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
  25. kim smith, Dodge City, Ks.

It is always a possibility that I will/would be laid off or fired. Those days of job security are long gone, never to return in any of our life times. Epidemic off-shoring of jobs and capitol has depleted the country of it's greatest treasure, the middle class, which in turn drives us into third-world status. It wont be very long before there are only the wealthy and the poverty stricken, and by then there won't be anything that resembles a job, it will be indentured servitude.

April 24, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
  26. Sandstone.

"So everytime someone is hired on the job scene, it really means the previous tenant was evicted?

April 24, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  27. Michael Bindner, Alexandria VA

I am already laid off. If Obama does something about underwater mortgages and reverses this suicidal push for austerity, I might be able to go back to work sometime soon.

April 24, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
  28. Mark from New Jersey

If my name were Scott Walker, Ted Nugent, or Meta World Peace, I'd be pretty likely gto be laid off sooner rather than later.

April 24, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
  29. MARK, OKLAHOMA CITY

Jack, thanks for asking but, I would have to FIND a job before I could have the privilege of worrying about that.

April 24, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
  30. bob z. from pa.

what do you expect when you have a p[res. that does nothing to help all of his policies hurt the job market . he wants the poor to be poorer so they will vote for him.

April 24, 2012 at 3:05 pm |
  31. barbara in nc

He's presented jobs bills for infrastrucu=ture (ver y much needed) and was voted down over and over by the party that just wants him to fail. I don't think we have a problem with President Obama - I think we have a t-party problem. It just seemed to all come to a standstill when those newbies dug their heels in. Put it where it belongs, Jack.

If they can afford subsidies for oil companies, they can afford to cut those subsidies and generate much needed jobs for us.

April 24, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
  32. Emmett M. Smith

Dear Jack,
    it is impssible for me to be laid off- I'm on a Defense Dept. pension. I feel sorry for the people in this country who must still work for someone else, though. The only good job I ever had was when I was a self employed realtor.
    Emmett Smith,
    Mobile, AL

April 24, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
  33. TomInRochNY

My jobs seems secure. My company shipped a lot of jobs to Asia in recent years. They are starting to ship them back. They found that it may be cheaper, but it definitely isn't better. The quality has dropped so much are customers are not liking it. Now that's economic reality for you. So, though it's bad, and it won't ever get back to the way it was, it is improving. Now if we can just get the profits into the hands of the people who make them, then the economy will really turn around.

Tom, Rochester, NY

April 24, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
  34. John From Alabama

Jack: I am retired. The only way I get laid off is by the hand of God. Its called a funeral and push up them roses. Oh, by the way 10,000 people retire each day, and most of us know what's next.

April 24, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
  35. Steve

As bad as the unemployment numbers go, why is Obama higher in the polls than Romney?? Is it that the polls are skewed being that the numbers are not representative of the polls. I know for a fact, the people with caller ID don't answer their phones and the polsters don't call people that have cell phones.
    The bottom line is yes more of us are going to get laid off in the next 6 months and even more after Obama wins this election. If people have any smarts and logic, vote for anybody other than Obama. It's no brainer.

April 24, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  36. Rebecca from Georgia

Considering I currently don't have a job, that's not something I'm worried about. My mom is so well liked in her company that I know they'll fight tooth and nail to keep her as long as they can. My dad works for himself so he doesn't have to worry bout being fired either.

April 24, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  37. Kyle S Irvine, CA

Hi Jack,
    I was laid off in March of 2011 and went 9 months without a job. I am currently working (for now) but nothing is secure anymore. There are more people competing for less jobs in America. This is why President Obama will not win re-election. I don't care what his supporters say but people vote according to their pocket book. We better get used to saying President Romney come January.

April 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  38. steve c. in miami

Jack, I have'nt worked in six months and quit looking weeks ago.The prospect of more being laid off is real because were still living in a phony economy. God, I wished had money because I want to leave this fraudulent, greedy of a country. Why bother voting

April 24, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
  39. MNResident

ANYTHING is possible. To paraphrase (and slightly change) a line from an old John Wayne movie, "Anything happens-your fault, my fault, nobody's fault-I going to blow your job off....."

April 24, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  40. Jane in CA

I'm retired. If the Republicans get elected, it is likely that my job (Social Security) will be eliminated, or reduced to the point of not sustaining us anymore. If you think it is bad now, wait till you need to support your parents too.

April 24, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
  41. Gigi Oregon

I believe unemployment is not the real problem. The problem is... many of the top 5%+ are not interested in stabilizing the economy or paying an equal tax percent. Millions of jobs could and should be created for the stability of our nation. But many of the elite capitalist only care about the bottom line, me and mine. So my job is pretty safe until "we the people" vote for no more corporate bailouts, entitlements, Representatives taking and giving bribes for cash or votes, and the lists go on and on. And ending in...no more wars unless they can sell enough US war bonds....to pay cash.

April 24, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
  42. jk in MN

Jack, I've always lived by the rule that there are only 2 things certain in life...........death and taxes.

April 24, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  43. Jack - Lancaster, Ohio

Mr. Cafferty:

Perhaps you should have specified an age group but for me it is more likely I will be laid UP and lose a visceral organ or two, but that might not be so bad .

April 24, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
  44. Michael, from Smiths, Alabama

Jack, the equally important question that should be considered is 'how likely is it that those who have no jobs already will be able to find them in the next six months to a year?' I can answer that one more readily. Slim to none, unless things start changing quick.

April 24, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
  45. A,J, Boyle Pembroke Pines, FL)

Obama said before he was elected that the recession and the root causes of it were so pervasive that it would take longer than one term (4 years) to recover. Given that the Republicans have fought Obama at every turn and that the owners of those Republicans, the bankers, have done little or nothing to right the many wrongs they caused, it's encouraging that we've come as far as we have. And as for jobs, I'm retired.

April 24, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  46. Steve

I cant answer that question, I dont have a job but just a smile on my face every morning not having to get up early.

April 24, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  47. Aaron in Kandahar, Afghanistan

With President Obamas cuts to the Defense Budget, the military is making numerous cuts and making it harder to stay in. Along with myself, I know many people losing their job within the next six months.

April 24, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  48. Sam

I once thought I could never get laid off – until I was! Humbling experience, after a couple of decades work experience. I eventually got another job and gained some valuable perspective. So, now I tell my wife, each day before leaving for work, that we don't know what will happen tomorrow and should plan on my being fired today. That way, we're always prepared for the worst...

April 24, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  49. Brett

Considering Congress has been useless in the last two years, I'm surprised the unemployment rate isn't a lot higher. Hopefully come November the Republicans and the Tea Party will be FIRED for allowing us to be down graded and not willing to actually do their job, then maybe the President can get something done.

April 24, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  50. Rahul

I am getting laid off this Friday....:(

April 24, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  51. Paul

Well, the layoff is already a reality. Going on towards 6 months. Statistically, the employment economy sounds ominous. The job search has been steady, only offer a handful of interviews only to be left on the 'line' while younger workers are hired for the positions. Been doing some commission work to keep from going batty. Almost exhausted all the household projects needed to be done. Praying that the unemployment keeps me afloat until I can land a postion.

Newtown PA

April 24, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  52. Brian in San Antonio

If I did, I would have a job the next day, no matter how bad it was. Being self employed now, I don't have the luxury of collecting unemployment for years, waiting for my dream job.

April 24, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  53. Dennis in Oregon City, OR

It's very likely that I will be laid off soon. The company that where I have faithfully toiled for the past 26 years has become so ridiculous and pathetic in an effort to survive this economic downturn, that I find myself practically begging to be laid off. Please lay me off, and put me out of my misery now, so I can move gracefully into the next phase of my life and career. I suspect that a lot of older workers are finding themselves in similar straits.

April 24, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  54. Louis

Since 2008 I've had 10 jobs, so your asking how likely is that I'll be laid off!
    Very, very likely!!!
    This was not the CHANGE I was seeking.

April 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  55. MK

As an employer, and in a business where we are constantly hiring, I have found very little able bodied employees. Some don't show for interviews, walk out in the middle of job, or simply do the least amount of work possible. If everyone is so eager for a job like the media says, why are there so many eager to lose their job? In my experience, a good work ethic is harder to find than a job.

April 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  56. unemployedwarrior

Jack,
    I have no time to worry about losing a job. I am totally focused right now on worrying about finding one. We need a changing of the guard in the White House. Romney 2012
    Warm Regards,
    Greg

April 24, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  57. Patrick

I don't see being laid off for at least the next two years. The naigh saying I see going on, sounds like a bunch of bull to me. As far as unemployment goes I seen many quite there jobs to take unemployment and take a job under the table, So I don't see your numbers being right. Also in my line of work which is in the construction field, I mainly see Hispanics and I will lay odds there not all leagal. Even On one jobsite in Washington D.C. which was a Government Job. By the way why don't yoou do a story on all the construction going on in washinton, like the reflection pool and others. There is so much work that like a friend of mine says, "you aren't working, it is because yoou not looking, or don't want to!"

April 24, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  58. Richard Castle

With most employers wanting to oust President Obama , there will be lots of layoffs just before the election. Same as the stock market and the banking industry. They are holding on to their money and expansion of there business in hopes of creating a poor economy. You have to have your head in the sand or an Obama Hater to not see there is a deliberate hold back of the economy. Heaven help us if the righties get control again. Can you say Civil War.

April 24, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  59. Travell

Not likely Jack because I just retired after 24 years of Naval service. However, what is likely is my benefits will be cut by the Republicans...
    Detroit, MI

April 24, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  60. Name*Charles

Well jack as for me an over the road truck driver I have to say unlikely. But with the current path of the economy one can never be too sure. Not to mention the damage that high fuel prices do, and of course the drive for the Almighty dollar...hmm....actually that is a good question....

April 24, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  61. Patricia Ann Reed Olonode

To Keep Your Job stop buying made in china/Indian/Brazil/ Europe etc products. The Republican are the one bring in all these products to the country with large amount of profits and less taxes payment in returns. Don't blame Obama blame free trade. The country needs honest and 25-30% rate tax-payers as president not someone with 10-15% rate tax-payers

April 24, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  62. CHRISTIAN FROM NEW JERSEY

I remember a friend of mine who got fired in December when the new management came and took over. He had just recently beaten cancer and they fired him. It just goes to show that you are nothing but a number to these corporations. No face, no name just a number.:(

April 24, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  63. Gary H. Boyd

Being brutally honest about job retention or loss, it's a simple as this: Any work organization can be divided into 3 specific groups: Those in the top 3rd should be promoted. Those in the 2nd should be retained and those in the bottom third should be fired. Workers need to realistically ask themselves, where do I fit in this simple but brutal equation. It is present day reality.

Gary in Arizona

April 24, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  64. William

This is an ambiguous question Jack! As far as likelyhood I think people working in some type of medical field are safe. Running a cash register? ewww... I wouldn't want to be in their shoes. Summers comming and I live in Florida so I would bet on A/C technicians keeping their job. We had a warm winter too! Police Officers get a thumbs up. I don't work I am retired so Jack what does your question imply? Where does such a question get us? How about asking what effects one's job? I dont buy into the Wealthy as being quote " Job Creators" because when the economy is healthy the American workers themself are the Job Creators. What effects one's job? Are jobs still leaving the good old USA?

April 24, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  65. Sarah Middleton, OR

Good chance. The crash in the economy reduced my job to a subcontract self-employed position, in order for the company to reduce overhead and keep the doors open. Work has continued to dwindle, and now the company can layoff without any notice and a clear conscience. It gets them out of paying for employment insurance or any benefits. I was just told that when I finish the project I am working on in two weeks, there is no other work available. Now being self employed I don't qualify for unemployment. I am disappointed with my soon-to-be former employer, but I see it as an opportunity, I'm going to look for work at another company, possibly in a different line of work. I don't expect any more security but at least I will qualify for unemployment if I get laid off again.

April 24, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  66. Tom in California

Jack, no way I'm being laid off, I'm a mid-fiftes son caring for his mid-eighties Mother with Alzheimer's Disease. I heard your piece while I was walking with Mom to the toilet as she's now incapable of toileting herself; the last few months she thinks she's living in her hometown instead of here where she and my Navy father relocated to 41 years ago. Its either me quitting my positions in high-tech with all the ups and downs of those to care for Mom, or $5-6K a month for care facilities for Mom. Nothing I ever did prepared me for this job, I'm learning as I go, and there's going to be a lot more of us.

April 24, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  67. Mickey D

Gee Jack, thanks for the opportunity to pointlessly vent my seething frustration with my disappointing life into that great void which is your audience. I don't know if I'll loose my job. If I do I won't take it personnally, 'cause you know it's not personal. The layoff decision process is not personal. Many years ago as a young middle manager in a company that will remain nameless I witnessed the exacting and scientific process. After a day of useless meetings, and 3 or 4 rounds of drinks, an upper level manager produced a flip chart with names on it and a black magic marker. "what about this guy?" he asked. If there was no response after 5 seconds he drew a line thru the name and he was gone. Being half in the bag I thought this was pretty funny until he turned the page and there were names of people in my organization. I am proud of the tap dancing and double talking that I quickly mustered. I delayed him long enough that he moved on. Some of those people are still working at the same plant. Hell of a process.

April 24, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  68. pamela holt

jack, my daughter thought her job was safe, until now. friday will be her last day.
    after 10 years , a bigger bank bought out their bank. they claim to be all about
    supporting the community. many have been let go. this bigger bank sports an
    commercial , on our local station, showing a couple, pushing a baby in a stroller
    , along with a toddler. ironically, that could be my daughter and her husband, along with
    their nine month and 21/2 year old daughter... maybe in their commercial, the young family
    have jobs and all is great, in my daughters situation, she has student loans, mortgage, insurance, gas, etc. bills to
    keep paying. this RECESSION, is not over...

April 24, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  69. Nell

Jack, the question should be, when are American companies going to stop sending Jobs overseas. You make it sound as the unemployment epedemic is Obama's fault. My company in 1994 sent 18 textile companies overseas. There aren't any manufacturing companies left. Even if Romney wins, do we really think he can bring back jobs? I lost 3 good jobs due to companies moving overseas or to state budget cuts, before Obama came on the scene!

April 24, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  70. Joe

Very likely. Major corporations are regularly 'dumping' the older employees to cut costs...even at the expense of customer satisfaction....they only care about the bottom line. But, even if I do, and even if the unemployment rate were 10%, I'd still vote to re-elect President Obama. The top 1%, the Republicans, and the greedy corporations are the cause of this mess, and they continue to block all efforts by President Obama to fix the problems this country faces. A Romney presidency will do nothing for the middle-class or the poor.

April 24, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  71. jeffreydcook

I believe I'm very likely to be laid off soon. Nothing has improved in 3 years despite what the Obama bean-counters are trying to sell. The real unemployment rate is nowhere near 8.2%...it's much, much higher and getting worse.

April 24, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  72. Somewhere in Washington State

A year ago I would have said it was very unlikely that I would lose my job. Now that I have an on-the-job injury, however, the situation is quite different. Even though it is unlawful for me to be discharged because of my injury and I am a union employee, I am not confident that my employment is secure. Further, I am one of those 'older' workers and I worry this will be my last job. I have more than 10 years to work before I can retire. My greatest fear is losing my health insurance coverage and not being able to afford private insurance if I end up on disability.

April 24, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  73. Name*zack

The unemploymrnt will countie to go down because, president Obama is almust done cleaning all up the garbage left by tje republcan. You tell me jack. When was the last time a republcan president had a better ecomey record in this country.

April 24, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  74. r.landschoot

sad, those having gold make rules, and those makin rules get closer to gold. In reality government doesn't care. When you have fund raisers at 40 grand per plate, sold out, don't say economy is hurting. Top 1% aint!

April 24, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
  75. Jack - Helena MT

Likely? I have not worked for over a year. I am a college graduate with 20 years Naval service. I can't even get a temporary job sweeping floors for minimum wage. The last work I had was a weekend job handing out chip and dip samples at a store. My unemployment has run out so I am not part of the statistics. My only hope for the future is that I don't loose my home before I can collect Social Security. I don't blame Obama. I put the blame on Bush and his policies. I feel Obama is doing his best to get us out of this mess but the economy changes slowly.

April 24, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
  76. Greg Rockford, IL

I might be laid off if I spend more time responding to blogs like this instead of working.

April 24, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  77. Andre'

There is always a chance one can be laid off but I don't foresee that for myself. If a person does see a layoff coming they should probably prepare themselves financially as much as possible. If you have been laid off for a while already maybe its time to look into furthering your eduction and possibly finding a new more stable career. Our country is 16th when it comes to college grads, education is the way out of this down economy, not blaming the president. I would love for cnn to do a poll on how many Americans are still living beyond there means.

April 24, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  78. Christopher

The company I work for isn't profitable. I have to do extra duties on the rebound, because if I don't the company will be worst off. I know the complete process of start to finish. I didn't have my own business in mind, but had to learn to make sure I get a pay check. It's possible the owners will just give up. So I'm working to make sure all is the best, and keeping an ear out there to see if anything opens up. I give them 6 months.

April 24, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
  79. blake

No thanks to Obama for our current economy and job market. Uncontrolled spending, class warfare, Marxism, don't work. We need long-term, fiscally conservative leaders to restore order to this chaos and lack of self control.

April 24, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
  80. Bill, Bloomington Il

No. A year from now when Obama suddenly has flexibility and doesnt have to worry about being reelected lots of jobs will be lost and dems will still be blaiming Bush. Food Stamp king 2012

April 24, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  81. Jerry - NJ

Jack I’ve been laid off from every job I managed to get since high school. Had to give up on college when I ran out of money, since my school felt I didn’t deserve any financial aid. The only line of work I know won’t lay me off is the only one that requires a four year commitment with it. Congress and particularly republicans are the ones to blame for this. They want to run this country like a business, specifically the ones that decided to lay me off time and time again. Sincerely a future marine.

April 24, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  82. Liberal Failure

Obama's Policies have FAILED. Unemployment INCREASED to 8.2%, Home prices at 10 year LOWS, MOST US Citizens on Welfare, and LARGEST US DEBT in History. FAILURE.

April 24, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
  83. Ian

RE:But 8% unemployment could still present a huge challenge for President Obama.

As it should since his economic policies have led us into this mess. Two of my close friends, who are married, have both been laid off in the last month!

April 24, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
  84. Angela

My husband and I don't have to worry about losing a job because he has been unemployed for 2 years and I have been unemployed for 1 year. We have both applied on thousands of jobs and have said to each one that we would work any shift any schedule for any pay. No interviews. We are both over 50. While my husband sometimes finds contract work in the construction industry, my father has to send us money to pay for basic bills. At the age of 51, I am back at school working on my associate's degree and hoping that once I graduate, I can find gainful employment. I am terrified of what will happen if I don't find a job.

April 24, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  85. A Southern Lady - North Carolina

I am in a pretty safe situation. When the President entered office, the country was about to go over a financial cliff thanks to 8 years of Bush and Cheney. The President has worked hard to improve things while having to deal with the Tea Party Republicans who vote "No" on everything he has tried to do to make things better. The antics of the Tea Party caused this county to lose its financial standing and, if left in office, they will finish the job. As things got worse for the average American, the fat-cat Republicans on Wall Street raked in the "dough"and smiled. But things are turning around under the leadership of the President. Look where we are now – the economy is improving, people are feeling more hopeful and with the re-election of Barack Obama and the ousting of the Tea Party nut cases in the House, the President and Democrats can continue to work to get the country back financially. Love your country – Vote Democratic.

April 24, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  86. Jerry Jacksonville, Fl.

Zero Jack, been retired for the past seven years. Don't need a job and sure as hell don't want a job.

April 24, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  87. Zaphod2010

We are all in peril of being fired at any time since employees have no rights under any law anymore. Companies hide behind lawyers and loopholes to fire people who are sick, people with disabilities, older workers, the list goes on and on.

April 24, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
  88. Dhananjay

I believe that the worst is past behind us and the better days are ahead of us.

April 24, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
  89. Laura, Boston, MA

Problem is Jack that 8% or 8.2% whatever is not the true unemployment rate. Factor in those who stopped looking for work and are now part of the welfare roles. Food stamps have gone up to an all time high.

I have a job (at least for now)! I won't if we don't have real "hope" and "change" in the near future. That isn't Mr. Obama!

Laura, Boston