How much do the news media ultimately affect how you vote?
April 18th, 2012

How much do the news media ultimately affect how you vote?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

"A vast left-wing conspiracy."

That's how Mitt Romney describes the media's effort to sink his presidential bid.

In an interview with Breitbart TV, the likely Republican nominee was asked whether he was ready to take on the media and liberal nonprofit groups that are "working together."

Here's what Romney said in response: "There will be an effort by the vast left-wing conspiracy to work together to put out their message and to attack me. They're going to do everything they can to divert from the issue people care most about, which is a growing economy that creates more jobs and rising incomes."

Romney said that dealing with journalists is an ongoing problem for Republicans. He added that many in the media are "inclined to do the president's bidding" and described it as an uphill battle for his party.

But Romney insists he's ready for the fight, saying Democrats will try to make the race about anything but President Barack Obama's record and the economy.

Of course, Romney's attack on the media is an echo of words made famous in 1998 by Hillary Clinton. She said her husband was the victim of a "vast right-wing conspiracy" in the early days of the Monica Lewinsky scandal.

And we all know how that turned out. Bill Clinton was eventually impeached before being acquitted by the Senate.

Nonetheless - between 24/7 cable news and instant reaction from pundits on the Web and social media - it seems the news media play a larger role in the political process than ever before.

Just how much does all the blather actually matter on Election Day?

Here’s my question to you: How much do the news media ultimately affect how you vote?

Tune in to the Situation Room at 4pm to see if Jack reads your answer on air.

And, we love to know where you’re writing from, so please include your city and state with your comment.

Posted by
Filed under: 2012 Election • News Media • Voter Turnout
  1. MNResident

They just make me angrier about how they have lost the very reason the Constitution has a "Freedom of the Press" amendment-To act as an impartial watchdg on the system for the people. Instead, they appear to have literally "falling into bed" with the very people they are supposed to objectively scrutinize, and that's sad.....

April 18, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
  2. Jerry Jacksonville, Fl.

Little if any, the only one that I would vote far that has any connection to the news media is Jack Cafferty, he makes a lot more sense about things than the idiots we elected to office. Then I think we need to give the Secret Service a big pay raise, it is a shame that they have to sprit the cost of hiring a prostitute ,what is our government thinking? This situation is a complete shame, ten years ago we would never thought about sharing the cost of hiring a call girl.

April 18, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
  3. JD in NH

The media doesn't influence my vote at all. I vote my conscience and that doesn't include protecting corporate wealth and tax breaks for billionaires.

April 18, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
  4. Mel - Houston

Unless someone is intimately involved with the candidate or political system where else is are you going to get the information necessary to cast an informed vote. Ultimately, one votes his basic values. If you believe that there is a place in society for government to help the needy you'll probably vote democratic unless you're a single issue voter.

April 18, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
  5. Charles, Lansing, Michigan

Forget about voting. If CNN hires Newt Gingrich, I am moving overseas.

April 18, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
  6. Lee C.

To be honest, the media probably has some effect on everyone. I feel it has much less effect on me than on people who watch a lot of television. The televised ads
    must be like brainwashing - like fast food for the brain.

April 18, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
  7. Tom in Desoto, TX

TV media? Rarely? If a politician says anything it usually can fit on a bumper sticker. I read coverage and what is stated. Debates are silly, each person talks for about 2 minutes. Have them sit with an audience, without prompters, in shirtsleeves for four hours and take unrestricted questions. They want four years, I want four hours.

April 18, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
  8. Russ in PA

It doesn't affect me at all, as I will vote for Ron Paul regardless of the MSM, and whatever statist alternative the MSM offers up. Until I see someone else stand for free markets and liberty – and neither Romney nor Obama do that – I will vote for Ron Paul. Ron Paul in 2012, dude!

April 18, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
  9. Randy

Very much. The more sensationalist, water carrying, and corporatist the news becomes, the more I'm willing to vote for a candidate who is willing to open the airwaves to real competition and ACTUAL news.

April 18, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
  10. Gary in California

The media has little to no affect on my vote but I do my homework. Unfortunately most voters rely on a single bias source and that is part of the problem. The media is only one potential bias source. The Unions, Associations, and Churches seem to be a much bigger problem than the media when it comes to biased influence. Money might have something to do with it.

April 18, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
  11. Noel Sivertson New Mexico

These days not at all. Since the tea party hijacked the Republican Party and Republicans honor their oaths to Grover Norquist more than they honor their oaths to represent the American people voting has become a no brainer. For the first time in my almost 60 year voting life I will be voting a straight ticket.

April 18, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
  12. tom Bulger, Canandaigua, NY

The news sources that we subject ourselves to dole out the ingredients of our reality. The folks subject to FAUX News are living in FAUX world.

Noam Chomsky said, "Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state. As a democracy, Canada defended its viability in refusing FOX a broadcast license.

April 18, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
  13. jk in MN

It doesn't at all. I look at how far to the right or left a candidate's actions/statements are when I make my decisions and base it on more than one source of information. That's what cost John McCain my vote in 2008 – his decision on a VP candidate that was too far right for my comfort level. I also won't vote for a candidate that parks money off shore to avoid paying taxes. I will not vote for any candidate that puts their social/religious issues before the economic good of the Country or one that signs any ridiculous pledge that can be held over their heads and influence how they vote.

April 18, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
  14. Ken in Pinon Hills, California

I follow politics, so it won't influence me. For those who don't follow politics, where else can they go to but to the media? What is worrisome are millions of voters who don't follow politics. May I suggest those in the media, stop praising the electorate as knowing what they are doing. They elected Bush to two terms.

April 18, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
  15. Herman Portland OR

Jack,
    Because the news is the most informative and easily accessed I would say it is on the top of the list of most influential means of information to base a vote on. If you are diversified and get various views from the networks you can make a logical and educated decision when it comes to the elections. I do not believe that all networks give the American people the full story or both sides too often or often enough.

April 18, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  16. Terry - Indiana

Jack: The News Media does very little for me when it comes to politics. Twenty-second sound bites only show me what little the candidates really understand about Main Street America. If you want a real political topic to chase, look into term limits.

April 18, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  17. DT - Saint Paul, MN

In a way 100%. I would never vote for anyone endorsed by Fox News.

April 18, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  18. Gerry

Depends on the topic and the source. Nuff said.

Gerry
    Ash Fork, Az.

April 18, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  19. Rich in Gainesville FL

In my case, not that much. 95% of the time, I vote against the incumbent, for president right down through dogcatcher. And I don't need the media to tell me who the incumbents are. I watch you guys for the entertainment value. Especially you, Cranky Jack.

April 18, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
  20. Doug Ericson

I vote by not voting. So what News Media do I watch? Well, all I watch on TV is The Situiation Room, Golf if Tiger Woods is playing, the Weather Channel some, and I will surf all the cable news channels if major news is occuring live. MSNBC and Fox are unwatchable for regular news because they don't present any. Its all agendalism.. You know what they are going to say before they say it. Oh yeah, I like the World Cup and Olympic Soccer tournaments. Can you believe the USA Mens National Team got knocked out in ealrly qualifying for the Olympics in London by El Savador? That is shamefull. Back to the news. Wolf Blitzer orchestrates the whole two hours of The Situation room like a Master Conducter. The shows zips by flawlessly and quick for the most part. ( He even did it from Brussels yesterday, unbelievable. ). Some folks just don't get it, but it is a special thing that The Situation Room Team has put togeather. Ed Sullivan, Howard Cosell, Muhammed Ali, Wolf Blitzer. Thats not a quiz, it just is. As far as the print media, forget it. All agendalism. I also check the news on the internet mainly through the CNN web site. I used Fox for internet news for a while too, but dropped it when the site got bugged somehow on my computer. Doug, Pepperell, MA.

April 18, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
  21. Oliver El Paso, TX

It dose not have any effect, because the news media especially CNN,FOX and other are always against president Obama. This is good news for Obama, because he can not take for it granted, has to campaign hard, the GOP will trow every thing against him, to make him look bad and the news media will be right day and night reporting it.

April 18, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
  22. Bill of New Mexico

Like most Americans, very little of the news determines what I believe..

First, I decide what I wish to believe.

Then, I filter everything out of the news that does not mesh with what I wish to believe.

Like most Americans,very little of the news determines what I believe.

April 18, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
  23. Gary H. Boyd

Having been around for 75 years here's my take. . Up until the 1970s the news media had a big impact on my voting decisions. because it was "fair and balanced". However, recent decades have seen a big trend toward, slanted reporting. Your CNN channel for example, is decidedly liberal while FOX is decidedly conservative making "fair and balanced" a joke. Accordingly, today's news media plays no part whatsoever in my voting.

Gary in Scottsdale, Arizona

April 18, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
  24. Loren

Not on how I vote, but then the hands off approach during Barack Obama's campaign seems to have influenced a number of voters. If the media fails to ask the hard questions, which it did with Barack Obama, then we will be left with what the campaigns tell us, a bit like believing advertising. Ultimately, the media needs to be less of shills for their party favorites and more the neutral pursuers of the truth, something they have been failing at for a long time.

April 18, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
  25. David in Tampa

Maybe about 5 to 10%. I listen to the Truth-O-Meter squad. I will listen to news casts, Wolf, Candy and GPS are trusted. I don't pay much attention to stump speeches by the candidates, just the gaffs, and never anything put out by a PAC or Super PAC, as I have a weak stomach and these people are far more dangerous, revolting and nauseating than those running for office.

April 18, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
  26. susan

Unless the candidate is a relative or someone you have other first-hand knowledge of, the news media accounts for 99% of why someone votes for someone else. We have no other way of learning about a person other than what the news tells us, whether the forum is a magazine, newspaper, town hall meeting or TV interview or debate. Even then, be wary. You shouldn't necessarily believe your eyes and ears.

As for that missing 1%, that would be a vote for or against an incumbent based on his/her voting record. And there's a hitch even there, because sometimes they vote on something they don't like because it's put with something else they do like, and vice versa. Then, when the time is right, it can be "thrown back in their face" by an opponent.

Let's face it, like grandma used to say, you're going to get a "pig in a polk" anyway. Good luck!

Susan
    Ohio

April 18, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
  27. phil

The media controls every thing now, I wish the media would just tell the story and move on.

April 18, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
  28. Edward Duncan

Not at all since i refuse to watch and hear lies that the mainstream persist on reporting, the most time twist and turn thing into what ultimately gives them ratings or makes them money hence why i have chose to boycott all of them

April 18, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
  29. Steve, Clifton, Virginia

The more the news media abandons it's responsibility to seek, reveal and report truth, the less likely the news media will have any affect on my ultimate voting decisions. The frightening thing is that more and more people are of the same mind set and therefore have been lured in by partisan political talk shows to accept their versions of the truth as a reliable source to base voting decisions.

April 18, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
  30. KeninSeattle

Mainstream print media is mostly informative and helpful. It contrasts greatly with the mind numbing squabbling on cable. While this fills air time in between national and international disasters it rarely does anything to actually inform or to advance the political process. Although it does provide employment for an endless number of dunderheads who would otherwise be selling pencils on a street corner somewhere.

April 18, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  31. Patsy, Tx

Not at all. I only listen to hear what the candidates actually say, not what the pundits want to spin. When guests
    are announced for each show, we already know what they will say by who they are, so I tune them out.
    However, I can't speak for the brainwashed listeners of Fox News.

April 18, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  32. Steve, Clifton, Virginia

The more the news media abandons it's responsibility to seek, reveal and report truth, the less likely the news media will have any affect on my ultimate voting decisions. The frightening thing is that more and more people are of the same mind set and therefore have been lured in by partisan political talk shows as a reliable source to base voting decisions

April 18, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  33. Ed from Texas

It's everything. I can't interview the candidate, so I rely on the media to do that for me, which is why it gets First Amendment protection. My problem is that FOX News is biased and the rest of the media is afraid to act as an honest umpire. "Our topic tonight: Is the Earth round? Here to discuss are the two opposing sides." No, the media has to cut thru the spin.

April 18, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
  34. Bizz, Quarryville Pennsylvania

The news media does not affect my vote. I get the news from many sources and I listened to the debates. I try to keep in touch of what is going on in Congress or not going on. I listen closely to interviews like the one Diane Sawyer had with Romney and his wife. I take notice when Romney says he was for equal pay for women but would not answer the question if he was in favor of the Lilly Ledbetter act and would have voted for it. The only time I watch Fox news is if I want a good laugh.

April 18, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
  35. Joe Fattal

If you are a voter Republican or Democrat and listen to Fox news too much you might go Republican especially if you watch Sean Hannity show. I watch CNN.

April 18, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
  36. Pete in Georgia

Me personally ?? Barely at all. I read and follow documented reports of many, many political records and histories. Probably more than the media does.
    Now, the bulk of American voters ?? I would think.............tons !!
    The average person doesn't have the interest or ambition for learning the cold hard facts and TRUTH of the political world. They are led like sheep to vote for the most charismatic or gifted orator, never thinking or caring for one moment if what they hear is the truth or good for America.
    Apathy and ignorance abounds.

April 18, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
  37. MYSTEROIUS

If you watch FOX, then the view is distorted.

April 18, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
  38. Lauren M Ronda NC

The news media does not really affect my vote. I just vote for who my parents are voitng for.

April 18, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
  39. Greg Turman

Jack;

The media is about polls, which is opinion absent of fact.
    Polls are for followers, not for leaders.
    However entertaining, the media does not influence my vote for leader.
    Gregory Turman
    Noonday,Texas

April 18, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
  40. Ray in Knoxville

Jack, ultimately, they are going to allow me to make the decision of who to vote for. I just have to weed through all the propaganda and find the facts.

April 18, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  41. ken, atlantic city, nj

100% . Voters are too stupid to think for themselves so they believe anything the media tells them.

April 18, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
  42. Kevin, Chester Springs, PA

I base my vote on the candidate's record, not on how it's reported.

April 18, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
  43. Michael

I don't think the news has a strong effect on how people vote. If a person is very partisan in their politics, then I feel they would watch news channels that confirm their beliefs–MSNBC (left-leaning) or FoxNews (right-leaning). The news would then serve as a source of encouragement for each particular individual in letting them know that they are "correct" to vote for their preferred candidate. As for moderate voters, I don't think the news has that effect as being a source of encouragement, since they are moderate. Rather, I think other strong voting factors (the economy) ultimately dictate on where the moderate vote goes.

April 18, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
  44. S65 AMG

Not one bit, you can't trust any of them. They all have their own agenda!

April 18, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
  45. lou

The news media coverage won't affect me at all this year. I've seen enough. The only answer republicans have to any questions about the economy is to cut benefits for the middle class and preserve tax cuts for the top tax tier. They're doubling down on the Ryan budget proposal. The democrats aren't the greatest, but I feel a bit safer voting for them, this close to my retirement years.

April 18, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
  46. Ed from California

I can read and think for myself, so the "media" will not have an effect on me. But, for our "red state" brothers and sisters.........FOX"News" will have its impact on the Hoopleheads!! A sucker, is born every....second!!! Mr. Boehner, "Where are the jobs"??

April 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
  47. Kim , Dodge City, Ks

Republicans would love it if the news media didn't exist at all, then they wouldn't have too worry about how stupid they look and sound. Right wing conservatives pride themselves in blind obedience no matter how damaging the out-come, and the media tends to expose their lack of intelligence and common sense.

April 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
  48. james in greenville NC

Jack, I know what slant I want on my news so I either tune in or read whatever media outlet delivers the news I want to hear. And that is why I like you. You and I seem to be on the same page most of the time. I am just about as old and crusty as you Jack. But I am not sure why you and I are right most of the time. Must be growing up without fast food.

April 18, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  49. calaurore9

I'm addicted to the blather, but when push comes to shove, it comes down to what's in my wallet on election day. Unless it's Sarah Palin, then all bets are off.

Carol in Northampton, Ma

April 18, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  50. Donna Wisconsin

Correction Jack: Clinton was not impeached. He was tried but not found guilty of anything!! I guess that is my answer to you: The media does not sway my vote because they never ask the good questions.

April 18, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
  51. barbara in nc

The more you try to shove R-Money down my throat, the more I campaign for President Obama. That suit you? I look up every word before I believe it, and believe me, a lot of you DO make semi-truthful (to be nice) statements.

April 18, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
  52. Larry,Springfield,Ohio

Jack.I think Romney was referring to the "vast left wing conspiracy" with tongue in cheek,however,it can't be denied that the majority of the main steam media leans to the left.Just maybe,this time around the press will report honestly and fairly,even actually vet President Obama,wouldn't that be something?!

April 18, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  53. Renee, Illinois

Is the media responsible for the double talk coming from Mitt? Romney doesn't seem to understand that once you say something in front of a camera it's out there – for posterity. I don't need the media to know that he's on every side of every issue, which doesn't say much for his backbone. And his proposals for the economy are the same as we got under Bush; and of course that worked out so very well! He has bad ideas and no solutions so naturally he's trying to shift the blame. I don't need the media to know that voting for Romney is just a vote wasted.

April 18, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  54. Kevin SD CA

The media should make a difference. But the media is part of the corruption. Look at the poor choices! If the media was doing its job in connecting Soros, Buffet, and the rest of the corruption then maybe people would look for better candidates!

April 18, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  55. James

No offense, Jack, but none at all. News media organizations in the United States serve only one function: to report the facts from an unbiased platform. While no organization executes this idea perfectly, all news media organizations strive to the same ideal. The fact that there are some in this country that would see news media as instigating a "vast liberal conspiracy" speaks to the lack of confidence some have in their ideas and ability to sell them to the American public. In Mitt Romney's case, a justifiable fear indeed.

April 18, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
  56. Brad, Portland, OR

Jack, you work for CNN. Do *you* see any coordination between CNN and the White House or "liberal groups?"

Or does objective reporting just make Romney look bad, which is why he's ranting about "liberal conspiracies?"

By the way, you'll notice that he gave the interview to Breitbart TV, which is a conservative propaganda outlet that makes no pretense of objective journalism.

April 18, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
  57. Karl in Flint, MI

As for myself, I never was a GOP fan and as they sink deeper and deeper into moronic conservatism, they get less and less attractive to any moderate voters who might be swayed. Most people with a 3 digit IQ form their opinions on candidates very early in any contest. The media can ramble on and on 24/7 and the parties can run ad after ad, but in reality, they don't change peoples minds. The current major GOP gaffes like the War on Women and the contraception flap have given entire groups of voters pause to reconsider but otherwise, nothing changes. I mean who really has to keep up with Romneys flip today and flop tomorrow. Nobody cares anymore.

April 18, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
  58. Larry in Houston

How much do the news media ultimately affect how you vote ?
    Answer : Absolutely / Positively / unequivically / and without reservation – NONE. If I lived in the Buckeye State, or in the mountain State, or in the Keystone state, my Vote possibly would be different, (as far as the local voting), but at my current location, for the last 7 years, it's been Straight Ticket.
    I don't understand why Romney would say things like that. The news outlets just report the news like it is, that's all. But when you go to the "F" word news channel, ( I don't watch, I typically hear about various comments)(and commentators) it's all about running our Commander – in – Chief into the ground. Especially night after night 5 days a week, hannity just blasts him, continually, not to mention that you've got the Hucklebee for an hour on saturday evening. ( Now That's Pathetic )
    There's no doubt, Obama has to climb Mt. Everest, to get re-elected, that's for sure. I don't understand why the D.N.C. don't come up with anybody else. Hillary would be more than Qualified, but she's probably burned out by now, and needs a break. I can't hardly blame her. "Left wing conspiracy" you hear from a Republican . "Right wing conspiracy" your going to hear from a Democrat. SO, What's New, Jack ??
    The cards are stacked up against Obama right now. and there's only 2 or 3 percentage points difference in the polls.
    I'm Voting Democrat – but If Obama gets re-elected, I'll be a monkey's uncle. (Pitiful, isn't it )

April 18, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
  59. Brian Samuels (Chicago)

The news does very little to affect the votes of Democrats and Republicans. We simply watch the news that reflect our views. It's the independents that r swayed. Partly by the news, but sad to say, mostly by the ads. Which, unfortunately, are going to be overwhelmingly negative.

April 18, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  60. Bob Melbourne, FL

It will matter alot. If you want to hear the liberal side of an issue you watch CNN. If you want to hear a conservative view you watch Fox

April 18, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
  61. Andre R. Newcomb

". . . a vast left-wing conspiracy." A rich boy making fun of the beer summit. That's what. Kind of you to let us know that that's their quality.

April 18, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
  62. Joseph Smith

Wow, paranoia is at record levels with Mitt. He will do/say anything to become POTUS in his attempt to realize the LDS "White Horse Prophecy" to position the LDS church to run the USA as a theocracy so the Mormons can "save" America.

April 18, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
  63. BILL, WI

Not one bit. Every news outlet will have their own set of ditto heads. But the majority of Americans make up their minds by looking at different sources other than parroting some talking head on TV or the radio.

April 18, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
  64. denroy

I am astonished that CNN can even ask such a question with a straight face. You have been in Obama's corner since Day 1 of the '08 campaign against Clinton

April 18, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
  65. carlyt1

Every right winger claims a left wing conspiracy when they don't like what is said about them. Romney should face the fact that most Americans think he is not trustworthy and can not understand where he stands on almost any issue. He is not presidential material and never will be.

April 18, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  66. tomnikoly

There have been "conspiracies" from both sides of the political spectrum for decades. Intelligent people will look at both sides and make an informed decision. Like the tag line from a popular TV show stated..."the truth is out there." Just go find it.

Canal Fulton, OH

April 18, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  67. Dave

Factual – none – those with lies a lot! DON'T CARE FOR YOU MITT.

April 18, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  68. carlyt1

Every right winger claims a vast left conspiracy. Romney has to understand that most Americans believe he is not trustworthy and can not figure out where he stands on almost any issue. He is not presidential material and never will be.

April 18, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
  69. Gigi Oregon

To the majority not much, to me not at all. I just enjoy the rhetoric. My husband and I are retired and enjoy CNN (and Fox on occasion just for the show). Goggle has become my best friend. When I vote, I don't rely on just the news, I do research on my own. Also history plays an important part of my decisions. I have become my grand kids encyclopedia. When they are at work or play and get in a debate they say "I'll call my Gigi" if she doesn't know, she'll look it up and get back to us. Growing old doesn't have to be boring.

Many in my world get information from their church. And sometimes it's to bad. There is a lot of wrong information and not check for honest reflection.

April 18, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
  70. Ann

Hillary may have referred to the "right-wing conspiracy" in 1998, although she didn't say much about the "extreme left-wing conspiracy" against her presidential bid in 2008.

CNN, and you Jack, supported Obama against Hillary in 2008. You like the talkers not the doers! There is no surprise that you don't give any fair chance to Romney.

April 18, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
  71. Gordon

What is Mr. Romney afraid of..doesn't he believe that truth ultimately wins out over un-truth? Sorry Mitt, but you wanted to get in the "fight" so don't make this about someone else. Don't you think that this is a little early to start with the excuses.

April 18, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
  72. MB - Panama City FL

I am a yellow dog democrat. That being said, I have tried to listen to both sides of an issue. However, I am now finding the constant coverage on political issues annoying, and find myself looking for old MASH reruns.

April 18, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
  73. MARK, OKLAHOMA CITY

Jack, the more LIBERAL the news media in general gets....the harder I turn my voting steering wheel to the RIGHT!

April 18, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
  74. Cheryl Jefferies

If Mitt said that, it just shows he's very astute...and, correct. And, why I never believe a thing I read in the lap-dog media about much of anything.

April 18, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
  75. Ryan

You misquoted Romney. He said, “There will be an effort by the quote vast left-wing conspiracy to work together to put out their message and to attack me"

He was taking a dig, but he put it in "quotes." You need to get your quotes down or else you play into his statement all the more.

April 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  76. Madhup Rathi

It's the only way that most non-politically oriented people make judgment about candidates. Unbiased media is EXTREMELY critical to fair election. The real question, Mr. Cafferty, is not whether people are influenced by media or not. The real question that should have been asked by Mr. Cafferty is that whether media is biased toward Democrats? Is it immoral for them to do so? Answer to both these questions is a resounding YES.

April 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  77. martin

If the medias would stop hiring (ex) politicians, maybe we'd get a more balanced view.

April 18, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  78. George in NYC

No matter how the media spins it, I think I'm smart enough to read between the lines. Who I would really like to vote for is Teddy Roosevelt, a real kick butt progressive, but given the absence of that option, I'll choose the candidate who's more progressive. Romney is not that man.

April 18, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  79. Cheryl Jefferies

And, Donna: Correction to YOU. Clinton was most certainly impeached. The House of Reps voted to impeach him. He was not, however, found guilty by the Senate, and therefore, was not thrown out of office. We have had 2 presidents impeached: Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton. Neither were convicted by their sitting Senates. Please re-read your history and get it straight.

April 18, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  80. Paul in NC

Media Bias is just another chapter in The Big Book of Republican Myths. It ranks right up there with Tax Cuts Increase Revenue, Reagan was a Great President and GWB Saved Us from Terrorists. Most voters get their information about candidates from the media. Many of them use multiple sources like major papers and the real news networks; then make an informed judgement on election day. Others, far too many, Listen to talk radio and watch the Republican Propaganda Network. Then they vote for candidates who sign pledges and vote no on virtually everything. As for myself, I avoid voting for anyone who uses bumper sticker slogans like "job creators", "secure the border", or any variation of "values".

April 18, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
  81. ron

Jack the media affect 100% of the non educated vote. Non educated in the meaning of political education not school education. Why do you think Rove will spend $100-$200 million dollars on negative advertising?? CAUSE IT WORKS! on the politically uneducated. That is what is wrong with the system. When ever a supreme court thinks coporations are people we are in big trouble when the people believe it.

April 18, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
  82. JC in SC

The news media today will not affect my vote at all. Is there a choice to be made? I am not one of the millions of people in this country who think that Mitt Romney is anybody with anything to offer. I'm sorry. But I can't stick my head in sand and ignore the truth. If the GOPers get another shot at running the show, they will finish what George Bush started: The total annihilation of the middle class.

April 18, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
  83. Harvey Claremont NH

Jack: It depends on the news media. If it's Rush Limbaugh and FOX News, forget it. If it's The Washington Post, NY Times, and CNN, I'm all in, because they have journalistic standards. FOX is run by the same people who hacked cellphones in England and probably did it in the US too. Why would anyone believe anything coming out of the mouths of Palin et al? Romney's remarks are a throwback to the days of Nixon-Agnew, when the liberal left wing media was the enemy of the state. We all know how that turned out. Maybe Romney has been coached by Nixon relics Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Shultz.

April 18, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
  84. Ron

I think the press could, and should, affect my vote – if I thought they were trustworthy. They should be an impartial pipeline of information to allow me to form my own opinions. As things are now, however, they're more of a comedy show than a legitimate source if information.

April 18, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
  85. Gordyb102

Unfortunity, many voters only see snipits of news and if they only watch a specific station there is a good chance their views will be skewed. Several of the cable networks only show their political point of view.

April 18, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
  86. Greg Rockford, IL

The "media conspiracy" theory is an excuse the Republicans come up with to garner attention and rally the base, and if they lose the election that's their excuse. If the media is biased against Republicans it is only because Republican policies are bad policies. Republicans should remember that the media gave Bush and Cheney a pass over the Iraq war for several years.

April 18, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
  87. Johnny

Sigh... The ole "left wing media conspiracy" line?.. Can't the GOP come up with something new? Or at least factual for that matter? Maybe the small little "mom and pop" conservative media entities like ABC, Viacom, Fox and their hundred of subsidiaries could stand up to the mighty Air Americas and MSNBC's of the world and carry the banner for Mitt.

I am sure we'll here "Big Government", "Tax N Spend", and the always popular "You hate our freedom" any day now.

April 18, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
  88. kabelme

the media nowadays is about as loose with the truth as the poilticians themselves. The PRIMARY focus of the media is PROFIT. End of story. I know there are plenty of honest, impartial newspeople. But the reality is short sound bites, blonde female anchors, sexy weatherwomen, etc.etc. It is entertainment that sells, not news. So most of the political hot topics are either created by or dramatized by an industry desperate and hungry for ratings, viewership, and marketshare.

April 18, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
  89. Mark in BC NV

Well since the Democratic Party and the Obama administration has the main-stream-media (MSM) as cheer leaders, read: propagandist machine, you'd think Romney was Satin. Isn't Affirmative Action grand, it's brought us our first Black President who got through college and law school because of his skin color and not his character or intelligence. President Hussein has added more to the nation's debt in less than 4 years than Bush did in his entire 8 years. But people here on this blog will think President Hussein is the best thing since slice bread. Ignorance is bliss, stupidity runs amock.....

April 18, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
  90. John Richard

The media reinforces voters predetermined ideas and beliefs. If you are far right you wonder why everyone's picking on Ted Nugent. If you are far left you are wondering why no one's giving Obama credit for his accomplishments. People believe what they want to believe and as such they will agree with which-ever pundit is mouthing those beliefs. I'm beginning to believe I'll have to start listening to Al-Jazzera to get a fair view of ANY political story. Now that's pretty sad!

April 18, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
  91. Denis

Unfortunately the media has much more influence that it should. That is because the majority of the electorate is uninformed and therefore tend to follow the rule of agreeing with the last opinion they heard, whether it is right or left.
    Denis
    Wilmington, DE

April 18, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
  92. Rita in illinois

The media won't affect my vote but unfortunately it will affect the vote of many. Too many people still think that if a broadcast is labeled as "news" then it must be true. Not enough people realize that what used to be news is now edited versions of the networks selling points. It's very sad. It's propaganda at it's worst and it's right here in America.

April 18, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
  93. Rebecca from Georgia

Hmmm, not really since I believe in Obama. I've seen his works and know his intentions. I don't think there is anyone better suited at this point and time besides him.

April 18, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  94. Pr. Tom

Not at all though I confess (it is good for the soul) I cannot in good conscious even tolerate Fox News and its indefensible support of policies and people that continue to support the gross inaquality in our country. Economic inequality is at the root of every social ill from over crowded prisons to unwanted pregnancies to class mistrust. Only the far right seems to be motivated to maintain such an immoral reality.

April 18, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
  95. Brian fr Langley BC

Being from Canada I don't typically comment on US politics, BUT, while the media is not a left wing conspiracy in the traditional sense, I'd bet cash dollars, that if one did a poll of all journalism profs at American (and Canadian) University's it would reveal as a group thay lean significantly to the left. As a result those students who garnered the best marks would also lean significantly to the left. Media outlets then hire, what appear to be the brightest and the best, while what they're really getting are the converted.

April 18, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
  96. kat mccormack

the media influences the unintelligent and unsophisticated more than anyone else. if you are too lazy and too partial to research a subject before you form an opinion, and count on the media for your facts, than you should probably be denied the right to vote based on stupidity alone. – Boston, Massachusetts

April 18, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
  97. CitizenAJ

I do my own research on candidates and where they stand on issues, how they voted on bills, and the things they have actually supported. I also listen to what they are saying as they campaign, though I know often it is a promise. The media is entertainment, and I see it as such. It reports news that draws our attention, fact or fictional, so making your voting choice based on the media is not smart, in my opinion.

April 18, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
  98. Dan in Albuquerque

Jack. I worked in the media for 41 years, quite a bit of it in news reporting and anchoring and the rest in management. I remember when the Republicans started calling the 3 networks "The liberal media". I had no idea where they got the title, but then I realized that if you give both sides of the story, report a favorable story for a Democrat, or a story reflecting negatively on Republicans you became "liberal". It's the same rhetoric today, except more extreme and the name has changed to "mainstream media", which I consider a great compliment that the reporting reflects what most Americans want...the truth as best we can give it .People should never rely on one source to decide how to vote.

April 18, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
  99. chuckly

I'm sure the right wing nutjobs following Fox news will believe the 'liberal media' lie 24/7 as long as their Kings tell them so.

April 18, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
  100. alanr1961

The media does not influence my decision. I will vote for Romney. At least Jimmy Carter will be happy to no longer wear the mantel of the worst President ever, that will now be worn by Barack Obama.

April 18, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
  101. Scott Rankine

Like government, you get the media you deserve. In a society where eighty percent of citizens are functionally illiterate informed debate and civil discourse are all but impossible. Passion trumps reason, rumour passes for fact, elections are televised blood sports sold to the highest bidder. Bye-bye American Pie, drove my Chevy to levy but the tank ran dry...

April 18, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
  102. Nancy, Tennessee

Of course the media is going to help me decide where to cast my vote. I've never met President Obama or Governor Romney in person. All I know about them comes to me from my flat screens. I hope they lookk as good in person as they do on the TV or Internet.

April 18, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
  103. Jason from Iowa

Personally, very little. My vote depends entirely on facts, and the media seems to prefer opinion. But, among the facts my vote depends upon is the possibility of winning. There is no sense in voting for a third party, even if they would better represent my interests, because I know they will not win. To do so is to forfeit your choice between the two real contenders. The media, of course, is the one responsible for limiting our choices – so to that extent, the media does influence my vote. The so-called information the media spends all day getting to us is worthless.

But I am convinced that a lot of other people are influenced by the media. When I see the media favor the candidate I oppose through propaganda or ordinary lies, I cringe a little – knowing half a million people will probably fall for it. When I see the media do the same for the candidate I "support," I still cringe, but with a side of relief thrown in; hoping that maybe a few hundred will fall for it. Unfortunately, I find myself on the "logical" side of any issue, and we are not a nation that celebrates logic.

April 18, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  104. Becker in MA

The liberal media is a huge windfall for Obama. They basically carry the water for the Obama administration and a lot of time act just like an arm of the White House Press office. They are basically given marching orders on how to propogate the Obama message. Its a sad state of affairs for "journalism" but its been that way for a long time and why Fox News has become such a success. People got so tired of biased coverage its has given way to conservative radio and TV.

April 18, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  105. VVVVV

The comment wasn't stated in it's true form. He said quote & unquote at the begining of it because of who he was talking to brought it up first. Remember CNN and the rest of them is more entertainment than news.

April 18, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  106. Sirned

Hmmmm Fox networks everywhere. Fox radio everywhere. Majority of rightwing talk radio hosts in the Southern states, the wall street journal, redstate, politico and the list goes on and on of right wing propaganda so it seems funny to hear Romnney talking about a conspiracy from the the left......Maybe Romney and the conservatives have a paranoia problem more than a left wing conspiracy problem...Just saying

Ned from Virginia

April 18, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  107. Mr. D

Talk about a conspiracy. It seems like the government has one to run the country into the ground. Frankly, they are doing a good job no matter which party is in office.

April 18, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  108. Corey

What a little addition will add to a sentence. Before it was we will create jobs. Now it's we will create more jobs. That little addition says a lot. Is Romney conceding that this administration is indeed creating jobs? Is a stock market that was in the 6,000's and now in the 13,000's better? Let me guess if a GOP won in 2008 we would be in the 15,000's? Before you say yes remember that the GOP wanted GM to fail. That would have costed millions of more jobs an thus made the recession worse.

April 18, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  109. Ted

Back in 1930s Hitler knew if he controlled the media he could controll the masses. Too many cannot think for themselves and think that if they see it on tv it is the truth. It is called propaganda.

April 18, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  110. Gregg Dearth

From Norwalk CT. The liberal bias of the media is no myth. And no one has suffered more than Mitt Romney from the media's nit picking microscopic inspection, and drum beat trying to position Romney as "not authentic." I'd say the media bias is worth 3 to 5 points at the presidential level, and perhaps even more at the local level. By the way, why hasn't there been any media coverage of Obama's latest gaffe, identifying the Maldives instead of the Malvinas while he pandered to a South American audience?

April 18, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  111. Regan Democrat

The smart voters will not fall for it.

April 18, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  112. Burbank from CA

A left wing media conspiracy, if it exists, is NOTHING compared to the Koch/Murdoch extreme right propaganda machine!

April 18, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  113. Robert MN

We have to rely on the media to some degree. I listen to FOX, CNN and MSNBC to hear the difffernt spins on a specific story, knowing the truth is somewhere in the middle. It's disappointing when the media bias is so blatant for one side or the other. CNN and MSNBC talk about how a nearly criminal to be against the "Buffett" rule, and FOX cannot get talk enough about how the democratic senate/President won't put together a budget and is leading us to financial ruin.

April 18, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  114. Bill (Louisiana)

How I vote with media input has a lot to do with the input and what I believe. For example when they report Romney claims to be a multi-millionaire and only pays 15% taxes. I care about that because it affects the economy on what he does and similar millionaires. Another example, is the latest incident with the Secret Service and Military with the President's team in Columbia who took part in what the CFR and UCMJ describes as Human Trafficing and not permissible and punishable in our country under those laws by loss of clearance, loss of job, and imprisonment for a certain amount of time. We the low and middle class would be on the street and without a job. Leaders would be forced to resign. Leadership is more than just saying I will take charge and it is my responsibility. Good Leaders can cause everyone to want to be on his team even if they don't agree with everything the leader believes.

April 18, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  115. beevee

Media influence can be substantial on how a US voter casts his ballot if the public blindly believes in what the media spews out at them. If you are careful and analytical media influence amounts to nothing. Unfoortunately, the majority of the voters either do not have the time or are ignorant and rely solely on media for facts/lies.

April 18, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  116. Bill from Fairport

For the informed not much. For the Palinistas and Limbaughettes big time!

April 18, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  117. Terry, Chandler AZ

Fact: There is no vast left-wing conspiracy. Fact: The media does not have a left wing agenda. Fact: If the media has any bias at all, it is a bias driven by controversy. Fact: The media reports the news. Often times too much news about missing people. Fact: Consumers love the news and media outlets, both electronic and print make money from the number of consumers. Fact: CNN is the only media outlet that provides it viewers with a completly un-biased veiws.

April 18, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  118. Tony from Southport

I really try to listen to the news, but when most of the commentators show disdain when speaking about Romney, and then smile with exuberance when speaking about Obama, I realize that I must rely on history and my own experience.

April 18, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  119. joshua

Having witnessed it for myself from Soledad O'Brien, Gloria Borger and Dana Bash and many others at CNN, it can not be denied.

April 18, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  120. VVVVV

CNN left out part of the message that allows you to get an accurate meaning of what Romney stated. Just like when MSNBC left out part of the conversation on Zimmerman's 911 call, CNN left out the word "quote". The quote changes the whole meaning of the conversation by showing he was referring to how the Conservative News site was looking at it, rather than something Romney would say on his own.

April 18, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  121. Fred In LA

As long as I stay away from MSNBC, and not trust anything the big 3 have to say, take CNN with a grain of salt and just listen to the Candidates and continue to be able to discern which are using smoke and mirrors to promote fake hope and change, I'm not influenced by the media at all. Most comments I've read are people too scared to admit that they've been brainwashed by the ooze flowing out of their T.V. sets. (Gotta give props to Frank Zappa for that line)

April 18, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  122. Gpop

April 18, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  123. carey georgas

I use the media to collect facts and points of view. Where else are we to get them? I make my own decisions based on what I observe.

April 18, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  124. Harlon Katz

People like "JD in NH" say the media doesn't affect him, but will vote his "conscience and that doesn't include protecting corporate wealth". The thing is, the MSM doesn't put forth all the instances of "protecting corporate wealth" done by the democrats. You also did not see all the "attack the rich" commentary when "the rich guy" was John Kerry. Basically, JD's parroting of the liberal message belies his supposed objectivity.

April 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  125. California Gary

I don't think the media plays a large role in how most people vote – they tend to just watch the media that agrees with their own point of view anyway. What can make a difference is how the candidates perform at the debates. That's when most people start to pay attention.

April 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  126. jnpa

Those who have to listen to the media to decide who to vote for must have to be lead around life on a leash.

April 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  127. DJB

Our media is not objective in any way and has a significant effect on those individuals that would rather have the media tell them what to think than to actually use their own brains to develop an opinion. We have a clear responsibility to listen to the dialog, sift out the garbage, and ignore the bias presented in the media. Then we go to the polls and actually vote for the best candidate available to us. That is how our Representative Republic is meant to operate.

April 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  128. DL Edwards

The far right is going to sink your presidential bid, not the media. They will not allow Romney to flip flop on conservative issues or move back to the middle. There's only one major news agency reporting hate, spin, conspiracy theories and misinformation. Stink with them for the softball questions.

April 18, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  129. Donaldo in ATL

Unfortunately, most of what we read or hear is not news but editorials, so I give very little credence to the 3rd Estate.
    I refuse to have anyone tell me what to think, give me the facts, I can figure things out, as I am not a media dependent citizen. Social media may play are larger role in the upcoming election, however, it too has become a source for editorials/commentaries vs reporting the facts. My fear is that we have a population who blindly believe everything they hear. Ironic, when we supposedly have the most educated population in world history.

April 18, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  130. Jean Sartre

I take all the media blather, not with a grain of salt, but with an entire salt block!

EVERYONE has an agenda... so it is important to do your own individual research across many differnt venues.

We all really know that Willard is an out-of-touch Vulture Capitalist, who cannot relate to anyone making less than 100 million dollars a year; he has all the personality qualifications of a Cyborg.... And yet, he will do better than McLame in the last election simply because he has many Super PACs broadcasting hate and fear 24/7, until Obama hands him his derriere in November...

I just wish this entire election cycle was OVER... it is not good for AMERICA!

April 18, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  131. Michael Bindner, Alexandria VA

Not at all, unless they start reporting on my campaign in Americans Elect (I'm tied for 10th of the declared candidates) in which case, I may be able to vote for me. If you continue to ignore me and my fellows, however, my mind is already made up.

April 18, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  132. Foreverwar

His record on issues is all over the place, no one knows what he stands for, does he? He has no one to blame but himself for his upcoming loss.

April 18, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  133. Jack - Lancaster, Ohio

Mr. Cafferty:

For me it will have no effect as I am a free thinker ( an independent ). I like the "free" part more than I can express.
    The media or the medium by most observers is the message, but it has been more than that for decades since television was invented...it is the "massage". That is why children need a certain cerial, lighted tennis shoe, motorcycle, fashion clothing, men need ED booster, women need ah bras (and bra holsters) et. al. on and on. This influence is propaganda plain and simple and it is now so much of the masses psyche that for all practical purposes, the media is the fourth branch of government, good and bad. Anyway, voting is just a game to make people feel they make a difference, how are we doing so far ?

April 18, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  134. Steve, NY

The media and celebrities ridicule the Republicans constantly. After awhile people believe all that stuff and don't even realise it. It's subconscious brainwashing. Look at all the comedians, they never ridicule the Democrats it's always the Republicans. The worst part the media doesn't not contest what Obama states even if it's a lie. Where is that comedian Reggie that looks like Obama and imitates Obama real good. We need him on TV. Put him on CNN as a start.

April 18, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  135. Diane

If you look at the media as an information source in determining how you vote you have to look at the TV, internet, your Ipad, Iphone, Snmart Phone, and guess what even with all of that information bombarding you, you still have to take a few moments to read (yes read information) to make up your own mind. End is media does not make up my mind, I make up my own mind about who I will vote for or not.

April 18, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  136. A Southern Lady - North Carolina

Jack – As a former Republican, now an Independent, I try to give the Dems and the R's a fair shake by watching news on TV, except Fox, who would not know the truth if it bit them in the butt, reading newspapers and getting info from the Web. Since the R's takeover by The Tea Party, signing the demands of Gordon Norquist, standing in the way of everything the President has tried to do to restore the economy of the country, I simply can not support any Republican. As I listen to Romney, Boehner and others, I have to ask myself just what happened to the once-proud Republican party which I supported for many years? They have surely lost their way. A Democratic victory in November would serve the country while a Republican victory would serve the 1%. Vote carefully....

April 18, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  137. Eric Hatch (Loveland OH)

The media greatly affect how we vote because collectively they're the main source of our information. But as for a conspiracy? The media are too stupid, disorganized, competitive, and self-centered to make effective conspirators. Romney's biggest problem is Romney, not the vast left wing conspirators out there.

April 18, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  138. AB

The news does not affect my vote. I know who I will vote for in November 2012. I do my own research and fact gathering and then make my own decisions.

April 18, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  139. Gerold from Alabama

The news media has very little to do with the way I vote! People have their minds made up as to how they will vote. They are either Democrat, Republican, Independent, etc. They will vote their party regardless of whether they like their guy/gal or not. However, the GOP seem to have real issues about telling the truth and instilling fear in the American public. They will stop at nothing to gain control over whatever political issue they can. We have heard them whine and complain to get people (anybody) to feel sorry for them...they just don't care. Mitt Romney has not presented anything with substance and that's why the media come after him with the tough questions that he just cannot seem to answer. If he wants the White House- then he will have to EARN the White House! When the GOP stop thinking people are ignorant and out of touch, and stop yelling conspiracy when things don't go their way then people will stop classing them as a whiny and hypocritical group of politicians.

April 18, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  140. Joe Baird

I think most of the media does a fairly credible job of presenting the news fairly EXCEPT ONE-Fox News has no interest in presenting any facts which does not favor the Republican Party and I am talking about the so-called news shows, not the opinion blowhards like Sean H. and Bill O. Anyone who claims that that Fox News is anything other that a right-wing propaganda machine has just not watched that channel very much.

April 18, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  141. VVVVV

And Cafferty proves Romney's point by taking Romney out of context. The whole article incorrectly implies something Romney didn't mean. They left out "quote" which means he was referring to the interviewer meaning it.

April 18, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  142. Mike8888

I believe the media has lost all credibility. It's clear that every station is bias in their own way and it's terrible. I mean CNN, Fox, and MSNBC have journalists that are advisers to political parties!!! You expect these journalists to be unbias when they write articles???!!!! And, to answer your question, I think millions of people are swayed by the media. If you hear it over and over again, you'll start to believe it, and that's what the media tries to do.

April 18, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  143. Gail, Plano TX.

The media blather means absolutely nothing to me, Jack! I am quite capable of sorting things out for myself and making my own decisions. I wouldn't vote for Romney, no way, no how. I just don't vote for people who are nor trustworthy! And the media has absolutely nothing to do with how I feel.

April 18, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  144. Peter, Tarrytown, N.Y.

If a person is capable of critical thinking and can read with comprehension, it matters very little if at all. If they can do neither and/or are sooo rigid in their beliefs, it matters very little if at all. If they're simply too lazy to researce then the 'media' can influence them, especially when the 'media' claims to be the standard of honesty in it's reporting.

April 18, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  145. Levi

It doesn't affect my vote at all because I educate myself before I vote.

However, it disgusts me how the media portrays the candidates and how they focus on one incident with one candidate and pay absolutely no attention to the fact the other candidate did a similar thing. They portray Obama as some great leader who does no wrong and Romney as someone who is out of touch and can do no right.

How many people do you know that go on $4 million Hawaiian vacations?

The media is liberal and against the GOP. If you disagree, you're either brainwashed or too far liberal to see it. This affects people who have no clue what is going on and trusts the media to tell them the whole truth about everything. Which doesn't happen. All this does is favor the liberal movement, which will lead to the downfall of this country.

April 18, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
  146. Lee in TN

All the bias makes me strongly dislike the media and I do not think I am alone. Either they need to all be just commentators or state they have an agenda from the top but the deception degrades their message.

April 18, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
  147. Joe Baird

The real problem is Fox News. There is nothing wrong with having right-wing opinion shows, but Fox allows its conservative leanings to influence to the way it presents the news in a way no other news agency does.

April 18, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
  148. Rudy G

The Media no longer "just reports the news". It is a propaganda machine for the candidate of their choice. Nowadays, the president is clearly getting a lot more help than the Republicans, which makes my task as an independent voter trying to have objective opinions more difficult than it should be. Part of the reason for the current polarization in this country is that there are no objective media networks anymore. They all go to the extreme right or left, and people are watching this every day. People try to make up their own minds, but it's difficult not to be influenced by the constant slanted reports and editorials. Chris Matthews and Hannity may one day realize how much damage they did to this country by taking sides. It may be legal, but that doesn't make it good.

April 18, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  149. Al - Orlando

The media has no influence on my vote which I cast with a blindfold on so I can't blame the results on me.

April 18, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  150. Mike in Virginia

Sir, the Media least affects those who acknowledge that effect and affects most those who deny it. Mormons Rock!

April 18, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
  151. Barry from Wisconsin

"Left wing conspiracy?" That kind of propaganda would have made Goebbels proud. Some of the media coverage is slanted (translate Fox News), but even Fox occasionally has a Progressive on their programs. Right-wing talk radio, however, spews a steady stream of lies and hate

April 18, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
  152. Peter, Tarrytown, N.Y.

I know what I believe.
    I believe what I know.
    The truth is was I want it to be.
    I know it's the truth because....
    I saw it on TV,
    I heard it on the radio,
    I read it in a blog.
    I've never allowed facts to shape my opinion

April 18, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
  153. russkeller

It doesn't Jack. The promises, lies, and spin of the two parties might be wildly different and that's reported and sometimes exaggerated but whats never discussed is they're actually policy difference once elected.... It's like debating weather Mc Donald's or Burger King is healthier. Walk home and make a salad.

April 18, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
  154. The Unforgotten

Yes, Jack. And you are part of it.

April 18, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  155. katahdin

The media probably does affect the votes of low info voters, but liberal bias in the media is nearly impossible to find. In fact, media is far too easy on conservtives and lets them get away with repeatedly lying.
    Mitt Romney doesn't owe his reputation for being a flip flopping liar to the liberal media, he owes it to his own conduct.
    Example: in 2002, Romney was considering running for the Senate from Utah. He told the local press he was "pro-choice." Two years later, he was getting ready to run for governor of MA he magically became "pro-choice."
    Apparently Mitt's mouth is in on the vast left-wing conspiracy.

April 18, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  156. Bob in Baltimore

The media only influences the people who don't have the desire, or means to research the candidates on their own. I feel bad for the ones who don't have the means, and have no respect for the ones who do have the means and choose not to look up the facts for themselves. Silly Americans

April 18, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
  157. Bob

"Left wing conspiracy?"..... and some people actually want to vote for this guy?

April 18, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
  158. ART

Not at all I judge them for who they are and how their policies affect me and as such Romney will never ever get my vote.

April 18, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
  159. marybeth, massachusetts

I have to rely on the media to a certain degree, after all, where would I get the news and information about a candidate? Romney tells so many lies my head spins. I can't trust or believe anything he says. Then he contradicts himself (flipflops). If you don't like what Romney says, just wait a minute.

That said, I get my info from a variety of sources because I know the media is biased. 35 years ago, you got your news and info from 3 tv channels and it was all the same. I don't remember any particular bias. And there were newspapers and magazines like Time and Newsweek. Nowadays, everything has been dumbed down so much and it seems much more biased. If you're conservative, republican, you watch and listen to Fox news and radio, CNN, Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, and O'Reilly. If you're a democrat and more liberal, then you probably gravitate towards MSNBC and NPR. Since there's too much bias and not enough objectivity with these cable news stations, and magazines and newspapers have been so dumbed down that they insult the intelligence of a 5th grader, I've turned more and more to C-Span. Love love love C-Span. You can watch and listen to Congress without the news media filters and make up your own mind. There's no editing or hosts interrupting guests and calling them stupid (O'Reilly). The Washington Journal show on C-Span does a good job of discussing issues and in bringing in guests who represent both sides of the issues. They're the last ones who truly try to be fair and balanced. No one else even comes close.

The media doesn't influence my vote. I vote with my conscience and my values. I get my information from a variety of sources. And I look at candidates' past voting records and what they say they will do (and try to find out if they actually did what they promised). Do their values match mine? Close enough? Or too far from mine? I'm not a single issue voter, but some issues are dearer to me than others. The republicans' attempts to take away my rights is a big deal now, as is the economy and re-making of this country into an aristocracy. I don't want to go there, so I'm voting for the other guy, the non-Romney.

April 18, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
  160. gregor1971

Everybody with half a brain knows that this network is the left's agenda as to what Fox News is to the right's agenda. Just look at the pictures they use for the candidates. All of the pictures are of Romney mid-word, with his mouth wide open, or something like that, while Obama's are just the opposite. They are both pretty decent looking guys, and you can easily find good photos of each – if you reallly cared to do so. This network, along with MSNBC, are going to try to make this election about anything other than the economy & jobs, because Obama's record on each is horrible.

April 18, 2012 at 4:56 pm |