How ready are you for the general election campaign to start?
April 10th, 2012

How ready are you for the general election campaign to start?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

So now what?

It’s no surprise that Rick Santorum is hanging it up. The only person who didn't acknowledge his campaign was over was Rick Santorum.

Newt Gingrich is toast. He even said over the weekend Mitt Romney is the most likely nominee. And Ron Paul doesn't have enough delegates to fill a phone booth.

Which means - ready? The general election game is on.

Romney and Barack Obama have already started taking shots at each other. But now, and for the next seven months, it turns into a blood sport.

Unlimited PAC money for vicious attack ads. Saturation bombing of the airwaves, especially in swing states, as the parties to try to persuade the electorate that theirs is the better path.

I think if I lived in Ohio I would be inclined to move - just until after the election.

The truth will be stretched and distorted and manipulated until it's no longer recognizable.

And all this will happen while Romney and Obama look us straight in the eye and solemnly swear that if we just elect them, all our problems will be solved.

The truth is, neither one of them can begin to solve our problems. The problems are too big and the mechanism for solving them - the federal government - is too badly broken.

But it won't matter. They'll both promise us anything if we will just vote for them.

Here’s my question to you: How ready are you for the general election campaign to start?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Sherry:
I wish the elections were tomorrow and all this politicking and pretense could cease so we can get on with our lives in a country where everyone counts, every one of us! Santorum's quest for Commander-in-Chief of Christianity has done great damage to our already divided nation. If there's a God, November 3 is tomorrow!

Roger in Dallas:

Lee in Wyoming:
So if the federal government is broken, I am in hopes of getting some people voted in who can make a difference. (How tired are you of that phrase "make a difference?") But hope springs eternal and I won't give up on this country. Bottom line: let's get on with the real fight!

Thom in Negaunee, Michigan:
About as ready as I am for my upcoming hemorrhoid operation. Both will be painful and disgusting. However, at least the surgery will solve one of my problems.

Tom in Rochester, New York:
At this point, does it really matter anymore? I'd rather see what's going on in Lindsay Lohan's life. That's how bad it's gotten.

Lorne in Montana:
Is it just me, or do these guys (meaning politicians in general) really think we're as stupid as they treat us? They believe half-truths, negative advertising, self-righteous puffery is the way to our vote... Too bad we keep proving them right, huh?

Nora in Corpus Christi, Texas:
Not ready at all. Six more months of Mitt trying to be one of us? Eating grits and the singing. Oh please say no!

Posted by
Filed under: 2012 Election • General Election
  1. Michael Bindner, Alexandria VA

No, as I am running in Americans Elect. We are just now getting rolling on selecting a slate of supported candidates to start our nominating process. With Romney losing strength every time he opens his mouth, our eventual candidate may come in second (or even win).

April 10, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
  2. tom Bulger, Canandaigua, NY

I can wait. The more time that passes the more acknowledgement we get from Europe that austerity crippled their recovery and that they should have listened to Obama and Krugman about stimulus. Republicans have finally stopped blocking the president's jobs program. Voters are starting to pay attention to Republican legislators disenfranchising them of the vote. I can wait.

April 10, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
  3. Kevin in CA

I'm ready for it to end already.

April 10, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
  4. Ed from Texas

Started? It's never stopped. We're in the era of the perpetual campaign.

April 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
  5. David in Tampa

I'm more than ready for the whole thing to be over with so we can run the old bunch of crooks out and run the new bunch of crooks in to see what kind of mess they can make of things. I wish we could have a no confidence vote; I have no confidence in the Democrats and even less confidence in the Republicans.

April 10, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
  6. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

I'm ready for the election to be over but will not wish my life away as it is too short. I would like to see about 15 debates between Romney and the President as well as Biden and the lady he picks as VP. Romney will spin like a top and the faster he goes the more he'll lie.

April 10, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  7. Bill of New Mexico

How ready am I for the general election campaign to start.

I do not want to vote for Democrats!

I do not want to vote for Republicans!

I do not want people to tell me that I cannot complain!

The campaigns of the last two Presidents were idle promises.

I do not want to listen to B.S.

I am in emotional frustration and it has something to do with general election campaigns..

I want it to be over with like I would want a root canal to be over with.

April 10, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
  8. Richard Texas

I am ready for it to be over with. With the folks we have running there is no one to cheer for or support. Nothing to get excited about or even waste gas driving to the polls for. The best we can get isn't worth the trip. Our politicians have taken what little fun there was in voting away and replaced it with a never ending supply of public debt.

April 10, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
  9. Noel Sivertson, Roswell, New Mexico.

I'm way past ready for it to be over! The longer it goes on the less I'm inclined to vote.

April 10, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
  10. Steve

TOTALLY!!! (like you guys) it's my favorite sport but 2016 already looks like more fun with Biden Vs Hillary and Sandorum Vs Bush.

IL

April 10, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
  11. Ken from Pinon Hills, California

Yeah, about as anxious as my wanting my own funeral.

April 10, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
  12. Doug Ericson

I can wait. I think there is still some potential for a ruckus to develop within the Republican Party leading up to and including the convention. There may even be a ruckus brewing in the Democratic Party if things keep going badly. No rush here. I like ruckuses. Doug, Pepperell, MA.

April 10, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
  13. Julia, Fayetteville, NC

I have been ready. You are asking the wrong person. Ask the Republicans when they will be ready.

April 10, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
  14. Lorne in Montana

About as ready as I am for a frontal lobotomy, Jack. Is it just me, or do these guys—meaning politicos in general—really think we're as stupid as they treat us? Half truths, negative advertising, self-righteous puffery is the way to our vote, they believe. ... Too bad we keep proving them right, huh?

April 10, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
  15. Gary in San Jose, California

I'm not ready at all. The Republican primary freak show was fun to watch but the part where both party's candidate lies to us about what they are going to do is a little old. With that said, I am looking forward to the part where I get to help issue pink slips to the bums in Congress.

April 10, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
  16. Doug Ericson

So much for waiting. I guess Rick quit somewhere in the middle of my last comment. Well good show Rick. Too bad the A team will show up in 2016 and you will be able to retake your place at the back of the stage. Boy, this is going to be a tough race to throw. May the best man lose. Doug, Pepperell, MA.

April 10, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
  17. jen seattle wa

Ive Been Ready For a 3rd party candidate to get on all 50 states ballots and be accepted as legitimate debator by the media since i was a kid....Not excited about the inherently corrupt regurgitating the b.s. in hopes of winning accoutrements of power while special interest favors devour and sour at our most economic desperate hour..Thinking about joining protestors in order to help overthrow u.s. govt and thier unsustainable missinterpretation of what saves us from being a second rate power due to energy consumption malfunction m.p.g.'s caused in large part by deregulated 3rd world imports

April 10, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
  18. Mr. D

ZZZZZZZZZ. Wake me when it is over. I wish I could be thrilled with the prospect of such an event but I'm, quite frankly, sick of politics. One has to be a masochist to enjoy the every four year "political olympics." It's like a sixty yard dash that keeps going and going, but dosen't result in a winner that is truly worthy of the office.

April 10, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
  19. wayne, va beach, va

Im ready for it to be over. And between now and till it is over, I won't be watching you and the Wolfman very much.
    Have a good summer and fall. Till we meet agaim. Goodbye.

April 10, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
  20. thom richer

Thom Richer
    Negaunee, MI

April 10, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
  21. Karl in Flint, MI

Well I have only used 1/3 of the ear plugs I bought last summer for this bombastic review, I have fresh batteries in the remote to turn on, off and change channels, unfriended all the political stuff on Facebook including some overly political friends and family that don't know it yet and probably never will and a big bunch of old DVDs I haven't seen since the last election campaign, plus a few new ones, I will enjoy over the next 7 months. I know who I am voting for and there is going to be nothing in either parties ads to sway my decision.

April 10, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
  22. Steve

It's about time, I'm ready. Remember Jack, keep your questions fair in the future. Keep at halve for Democratic questions and halve for Republican questions. Don't favor either party and we'll see what happens in November. Afterall you don't want to be pegged as one of those one way clowns at MSNBC. .

April 10, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
  23. Mike in Minneapolis

I certainly won't be there. The next few months will be awful. Several years ago CNN (and others) decided it needs less of that annoying, pesky news and more politics and political soundbites. I don't even remember the last time I heard mention of Africa on a 24 hour news station. The Twins will get me through to the Vikings, and the Vikings will take me through to the election when I will vote for Obama. The day after that we can start hearing about the 2016 election and how the next president can turn our country into a Republican utopia.

April 10, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  24. Sherry

I wish the elections were tomorrow and all this politicking and pretense could cease so we can get on with our lives in a country where everyone counts, every one of us! Santorum's quest for Commander in Chief of Christianity has done great damage to our already divided nation and fueled the rigid right's thirst for tyrannical theocracy and the continued suppression of women, children, minorities and the poor. Too much bad hot air has fried too many brains and the holier-than-thou segment continues to advocate rule by rightness – their "rightness". The more time Karl Rove has to spread his poisonous super-pac toxin, the bigger dose of humanity will be needed to fight the growing unrest created. If there's a God, November 3 is tomorrow!

April 10, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  25. Bizz, Quarryville Pennsylvania

I really don't care when general election starts, but I will miss the Three Stooges bumping heads together because I have grown to like their entertainment. But now that the general election is about to start the only regret I have is my TV being fill with negative ads that is a waste of my time. But I really don't care how much money Romney has to spend on negative ads because I cannot vote for a man who pays less taxes than the average citizen and has offshore accounts in the Cayman islands. He has no idea what my life is like and furthermore he doesn't care.

April 10, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  26. A Southern Lady - North Carolina

I will be glad when the campaign is over and Barack Obama is safetly again in the White House. Should Mitt Romney or any other Republican win the presidency, I predict the following will happen: (1) The US will bomb Iran within six months and we will be in another war (2) The rights of women to control their own bodies will be further and further diminshed as all states that have enacted the disgusting vaginal probe when trying to get an amortion all have Republican governors (3) enviromental laws will be weakened to satisfy the Koch brothers and other polluters 'till our water and air quality will be damaged. Obama in 2012!

April 10, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  27. Kim , Dodge City, Ks

We can't stop it, can we? Hopefully, this will be the death rattle of the Republican Party as we know it today. It's a shame that they have strayed so far right as to be irrelevant and useless to the democratic process. Pehaps this will be our best opportunity to send a loud and angry message to Congress, and the President, that we are fed up with partisanship and self-serving legislators who seek to keep the country divided.

April 10, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  28. Annie, Atlanta

Actually, with all the money involved these days, billionaires buying up candidates and attack ads, it's going to get ugly. I'm ready for the election to be over.

April 10, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
  29. Riley ODay

I will not watch any election coverage. I already know who to vote for.

April 10, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
  30. lee from Wyoming

Jack, looks like you've pretty well covered the down and cynical side! So if the federal government is broken, I am in hopes of getting some people voted in who
    can make a difference. (How tired are you of that phrase "make a difference?")
    But hope springs eternal and I won't give up on this country. Bottom line -- let's get on with the real fight!

April 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
  31. Pete in Georgia

America will be witness to the most cunning deceptive campaign ever devised by mortal man, all the product of our "Silver Tongued" orator of a president. And, a large percentage of our population will follow him in lock step completely unaware of any facts or truth along with ZERO interest of the same.
    Just a few short years ago a campaign of this level of deception would be incomprehensible.
    Back when Americans would invest a few hours of their lives to investigate the truth or read a little history.
    Beyond sad.

April 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
  32. Roger in Dallas

Ready to start? We're ready for it to be over with! The British have the right idea when it comes to elections – over and done with quickly without all this pandering and pontificating. More to the point, the only clear choice is to re-elect President Obama. Perhaps if the republicans get their act together in 2016, put up someone worth voting for and getting rid of this radical tea party congress, they might stand some sort of chance – but not now.

April 10, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
  33. Dave, Orlando, FL

Can we put the election on hold for, say about 50 years? I will be long dead by then and I’d never have to endure this wholesale aggravation ever again. Let’s face it. There are no differences between the parties. Whoever gets in is irrelevant since, thanks to the Congress and supreme clowns, everything that is detrimental to the middle class will be the law and everything that benefits the greedy special interests will be the law. That is what has become of our country. So I will never be ready. If we ever get back to sanity and the Constitution is restored to the law of the land, then I would consider getting ready. Until then I’ll watch movies.

April 10, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  34. Martha Brooks

We are fortunate...we have the remote control in hand and can hit "mute," "pwr Off" or change channels. Without those options, we would all be ready for the funny farm by August.

Martha, Rew, PA

April 10, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  35. TomInRochNY

Tom, Rochester, NY

April 10, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
  36. Nora H G Corpus Christi

Not ready at all. 6 more months of Mitt trying to be one of us. Eating grits and the singing,oh please say NO!! Of all the candidates Romney in his Mom jeans is still the most annoying I am getting my score card ready to see how many times he changes his mind about certain issues. Also how much he is going to pay for each vote he gets!! It is on Jack!!!

April 10, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  37. curtis in philadelphia

No Jack, I'm ready for it to be over and in some ways it is already over, because whoever wins, its all the same: the rich getting richer, the poor getting poorer.

April 10, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
  38. Gigi Oregon

I'm ready! And my bumper sticker will read

"If you don't want to pay your share of tax to... "Re-Build America" leave go where you invested your money"

April 10, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
  39. Jeff In Minnesota

I can wait until October. I really do not need to see all of the attack ads running through the summer. That will just make me want this election to be over even sooner.

April 10, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  40. Rebecca from Georgia

I'm ready for the election to be over. Mitt isn't ready for the presidency nor do I feel like he can run our country appropriately. Obama is better, he's thoughtful, considerate, and overall willing to help the fellow man. He's more concerned with the middle and lower classes while Romney has no clue how to even talk to them.

April 10, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  41. Jennifer M in Winnipeg

Start? It's been going on for 2 years ... probably the longest 'campaign' in U.S. history. Just get it over with already!

April 10, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
  42. Dan in Albuquerque

Yes, Jack. The GOP has had months of free television time in debates and hundreds of millions in super pac propaganda, while the president has barely just begun in earnest. Now, they will face the full Democratic campaign and the truth about their unworkable budget, their alienation of women and minorities and their overall objective to promote corporate greed with the same old worn out, regressive ideas. Obama leads in most polls and that will only grow as his message is heard.

April 10, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
  43. Larry in Houston

LOL – – R U Kidding Me ?? what a question – You should get a lot of answers on this one.
    How ready are you for the general election campaign to start ? Truth is : I used to Live in the Buckeye State – for a very short while. But was born / raised & worked for 30 yrs.( in the next state over) Now I'm drawing a small pension, and decided to move where I don't have to shovel snow, Jack.

To be perfectly honest, It may be a tight election, but If we had somebody else other than Obama, (another Democrat) on the Democratic Ticket, I think he or she would be elected fairly easily. It's going to be tough for Obama. I don't know if I would use the term "blood sport" instead maybe the "Thrilla in D.C." (as opposed to the "Thrilla in Manilla" (like in 1974) Thing is : (It's not like Frazier vs. Clay (Ali)
    In my opinion, I think it really doesn't matter who gets IN, Jack. As long as this country is 16 Trillion in Hock – we're sunk. I think we need to bring back the "Clinton" Factor. At least he's ( or Her ) has the Experience to bring us back to a Surplus, instead of "in the red" & going higher. I'm Voting For Obama, Just the same way I would do when I was in the Buckeye State (or the Mountain State) even if his policies aren't the most impressive. At Least I know what Obama's all about, as opposed to Romney, where there is going to be cuts as far as the eye can see. – – I still can't figure out Newt, yet – I mean, why is he still in it ? Does he think if he goes all the way to Tampa, (without dropping out) he might get some sort of "nod" or something, in a backdoor type of way ?

April 10, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  44. Larry Feierstein-Denver

SO, knowing that no matter what they promise no one can deliver. We have a broken senate and congress. You can promise a moon base , or chicken in every pot, but as long as we have this type of political system nothing can happen. I am ready for the election to be over, as i am every year. Has anything changed in this decade?

April 10, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
  45. Ang

There is a sadness to see Santorum go He & Gingrich needed to team up more as a ticket; with Ron Paul taking Timmithy Geithner's job.

Hope there is an alternitve: Oboma nore Romney know what it's like to live in the world of get up & go to work in the morning what bills can we or can't we pay today. & then there's the helth care mess at least Santorum has a 1st hand look at how it works dealing with his daughter.

Please tell Me there's an alterntive. Some where's! Anywheres!

Massillon, Ohio

April 10, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
  46. Evinia Bruce

well Jack .......since you state voting for either ..Mitt or Obama won't do the American people any good ..the government is broken beyond repair ..[i happen to agree with you ].. then what do you suggest???...ANARCHY???..... Ron Paul comes pretty close ...get rid of all over sights ..social programs..individual rights ....abortion ..medicaid S.Security et.etc..is that what you would consider a solution .??..
    you sit there in your comfy little world and keep hacking away at Obama ..who is at least TRYING to offer some solutions ..and do nothing but undermine anything he attempts ..but offer nothing in the way of any real relief .....SO easy to critcize ...... why don;t you run for political office and see how many brilliant ideas you come up with ..and let us shoot them down time after time .....B.C Canada ,,,,..

April 10, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
  47. Gary from Virginia

Well Jack I see this as a very important election. The last time I voted was in 1968 for Hubert Humphrey and since he had won the popular vote but lost the electoral vote I hadn't voted since. But this time is different there is too much at stake to let the extreme right to take over this country, so I am getting my whole family involved in voting this year.

April 10, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
  48. Dave in Fort Worth

What's there to say? GAME ON! Do you go with the socialist you know or the lib you dont?

April 10, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  49. Renee, Illinois

It comes back to the same 'ol, same 'ol – who is the lesser of two evils? Given the fact that the Republicans have worked so hard to alienate virtually every group except old, rich, white men I'm not quite sure why Romney is bothering. He's had every opportunity to chime in and say something about his party's relentless attack on, well, everybody. But no, he swings with the wind. As for me, I'm a woman, so as far as I'm concerned the election is already over. The GOP has made it quite clear they don't care for my sex. I certainly won't be voting for them.

April 10, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  50. Annie

I'm ready to vote, OBAMA 2012!

April 10, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  51. Cee.Louisiana

I dont think the the GOP has enough money to buy enough vitriole for me to think twice about not voting for Barack Obama.....2012.

April 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
  52. Cres from Florida

Wrong question Jack. Not ready for it to start, READY FOR IT TO BE OVER!!!! Almost seven more months of the
    campaign rhetoric will drive us all nuts.

Talk about cliches to the excess: * the lesser of two evils
    * saying what they think the people want to hear
    * promises, promises, promises
    * lies, lies, lies
    * anything to get elected.
    and on and on and on.

PLEASE WAKE ME WHEN IT'S OVER!!!

April 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
  53. Terry

Not ready at all. No choices. Sad. Now all we got to look forward to is a 'bloodbath'. That is one thing candidates and their hired help are good at.

April 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
  54. AB

I am ready to see the race of Romney vs. Obama begin. It is going to be very interesting. But I must confess that It would be fun to see these Republican candidates continue to compete for the nomination all the way to the convention and consequently, see a victorious, but very weaken Romney emerge from the political car wreck, to be beaten by Obama. I am glad Gingrich and Paul are staying in the race. The drama will continue!!

April 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
  55. dclayton4473

I am ready for money to be spent on calling out Obamas poor choices. The media echos the token job gains, and says the economy is improving, which is a stretch to say the least. Then when we consider the $4T cost to keep it sputtering the ugly failure comes into broad daylight. According to Donald Trump if we sold all federal property we would only raise $2T, which means Obama Has taken out our 5th and 6th Morgage during the last three years and yet we sputter... Dreadful, our children will live in less security because of his actions.

April 10, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
  56. southernwonder

Jack, if they can not, as you say, solve our big problems, what would be the point of getting ready? However, I do want to hear, as opposed to know, the difference between obamacare and romneycare – some say there is a difference if you really look carefully.

April 10, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
  57. Ed from California

Heck Jack! I'm still waiting for the jobs that Boehner promised, and the "Trickle Down" that Regan promised. That will trickle down to us surfs. I don't think much will happen either way. Our royalty doesn't work for us, they work for those folks that fund their campaigns, and you know who they are. They're the ones that say that, "They pay too much tax right now". I'm sure they do.....since the tax code benefits them.

April 10, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
  58. Michael, from Smiths, Alabama

I'm ready to see how damaged Romney is from the vicious campaigns thrown at him by Gingrich and Santorum. Let's not forget that Rick Perry got some good shots in early in the race, and the accumulated effects of the negative campaigns will make it hard for Romney to even stand up to Obama.

Obama 2012!

April 10, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
  59. Jack - Lancaster, Ohio

Mr. Cafferty:

I have been both a republican and a democrat... betrayed by both and ashamed ! But I am better now, thanks. Your piece on this subject qualifies you for SNL, and I will be watching, independents love humor.

April 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  60. Ed in California

Let me see:

Spin detector on
    Sniff test detector on
    Sarcastic remark generator on (max)

Seats in the upright position with trays stowed....

Houston, we ar go for launch!!!

April 10, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  61. L.C.

I will be voting for Ron Paul in 2012, even if it means I have to write his name in again, like I did in '08.

Long Live Liberty, Truth & Justice For All – there's only one candidate who is serious about bringing it. The others are just paid BIG to act like it.

April 10, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  62. rick from canada

everything good that obama trys to do is blocked by the republicans.they want him to fail and if this happens all the progress that has been made will be lost. it is sad. the republicans do not care about the average american. GOD HELP AMERICA.

April 10, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  63. Quinton

I'm about as ready for the general election as I am ready for a chance to be buried with rattlesnakes... In fact I think I would take the rattlesnakes...

April 10, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  64. Donaldo in ATL

Thank God, I could not take much more. Lets all take a few months breather, regroup, then put the pads on and hit the field. This campaign is going to make rugby look like a walk in the park.

April 10, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  65. Christopher Rose in Raleigh NC

Jack I'm not ready at all. I think we pretty much already all know where the two parties and their two candidates stand. We have had two competing ideological agendas for some time now. I think most people who claim to be independent are in the same rut I'm in. No real choices. Republicans are so extreme they only produce conservative litmus tests. So my choices are a hedgefund manager who pays less of his income as a percentage in taxes than Ido because he gets special tax breaks and a guy with no real world WORK experience except community organizing and teaching in an ivory tower. All this campaign is going to do is tell me the same old ideological talking points in email, mail, TV and Radio until i am sick to death of hearing them. All paid for by some other person with money looking to make more of it. Every year I get more disgusted and feel the disconnect between the parties and the people they claim to represent is getting bigger and bigge.

April 10, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  66. Louis Hardin

Yes, Obama is going to rip Romney apart in the first debate. That'll be fun to watch.
    Houston, tx

April 10, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  67. L.C.

Serious question: What are actual the differences between Obama and Romney on policy? (Policies: Federal Income Tax, Monetary Policy/Federal Reserve, Military-Industrial Complex, War On Drugs, Wars Overseas).

To me, they are the same candidate pushing the same root agenda. I'll be voting for Ron Paul in 2012 – he is the ONLY ONE who wants to protect, preserve, and defend the Constitution of the Unites States.

April 10, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  68. Molly

No more lies just results I'll vote for the first person to lower gas and create real jobs.

April 10, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  69. Mez

Mitt Romney is so rich, he probably doesn't even know how much a soda can costs. Yes, I am ready for the general election and I am going to vote for Barack Obama.

April 10, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  70. dclayton4473

ED if you are a serf, you pay no taxes, get money from the rich and yet you say the tax code benefits them? how so?

April 10, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  71. Arthur Hedderly-Smith

Thank goodness I live in Utah, a state that will surely go Romney. As an independent, I am glad that my state may be bypassed by some of the useless visciousness.

April 10, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  72. mike g

jack, i can't wait for the campaigning to start–like i can't wait for my next colonoscopy!!

April 10, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  73. Bob

The billion dollars of Obama and the Super Pacs of Mitt Romney could be used to pay off the national debt. Why do we need to be bombarded by TV commercials when the money could be better spent elsewhere. Even though independent voters may be undecided, I think the majority have already made up their minds.

April 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  74. fae holakeituai

the starting quarterback obama is not doing so well and its time to put in the backup quarterback romney to win us the ball game!

April 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  75. Mary Cook

No, but I sure am ready for the GOP "clown show" primaries to end!

April 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  76. Rich in Gainesville FL

Start tonight. Debate tomorrow. Vote on Thursday. Done. We should be so lucky.

April 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  77. H.R

I was having a party watching the 4 clowns at it every day. I hope the rest of them stay in, otherwise I will have to watch old movies until time to vote for President Obama, again.
    Please quit being one sided as it doesn't become you.

April 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  78. Chichi

Please wake me up on November 7th when the circus is over.

April 10, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  79. Alec from NY

I am very ready. If Romney wants to gain the support of everyday Americans, he needs to one, stop saying stupid things like not being worried about the very poor and two, he needs to stop spending so much money. It only emphasizes the fact that he cannot relate to the problems of everyday Americans.

April 10, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  80. Tim

Great comments today! No one can solve the problems until we fix Washington.

To answer your question, NO! Campaigns are best started on Labor day – two months is plenty. Most of these people have work to do in Washington.

April 10, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  81. 777aviation

I'm as ready as my local TV stations who are going to make millions of dollars.

April 10, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  82. s22

how ready? its been happening since last fall. its been happening since january 2009 when the Right began their lynching campaign.

April 10, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  83. john heil

dear jack, since i was born in 1962 we have had 10 presidents 5 republicans and 5 democratsif you look at where we are today you might just say its time for a third party , we have a party for the dems we have a party for the repubs its time we have a party for the people and by the people

April 10, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  84. DaddyP

Can we just flip a two headed coin and let them both call "Tails"? The saddest part about campaign season is all of the ads you see are about issues that never get addressed anyway.

April 10, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  85. Ken in NC

It's now a 2 man race with Newt in it all the way to his moon colony. Newt says he will be the nominee so do not forget him. By November Mitt will have flip flopped to Obama's opinions. So who do we vote for?NONE OF THE ABOVE.

April 10, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  86. Adam

Im thinking about sitting out this election, neither of them deserve to be President of the United States, Romney or Obama. The reason for that is that they have a lot of similarities. If we want to go in a different direction with the country, Gingrich or Paul has to be the Republican nominee.

April 10, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  87. Eric

Bring on the election! Regardless of who ends up winning, these upcoming months will create a very competitive theme in our country, all the way up until November. Who knows, maybe this competitiveness will help bring out more truths so that we get the RIGHT president for the job to tackle our nation's current issues.

April 10, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  88. Shirley-Ohio

I live in Ohio and I am not packing up and going anywhere. I say bring it on and may the best Al Green singing, tax the rich candidate win.

April 10, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  89. Terry Tanner

Ready or not...what's the alternative? The founding fathers actually toyed with the idea of multiple executives. Maybe we should consider that. The job is too big for one person. We need to stop looking for a "Moses" to lead us to the promised land and start looking for a way out of this financial mess. "Leadership" and "Celebrity" are two DIFFERENT THINGS!!!

April 10, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  90. Ryan from Salt Lake

I would rather run cheese grater against my forehead than go through 6 more months of the campaign rhetoric.

April 10, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  91. Carlcarl.francis

By the the end of the campaign four years ago I had developed painful hemmorrhoids on both sides without relief. Here we go again and both sides are itching me with no Prep H

April 10, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  92. KDubb

Really? Ron Paul is going to WIN Missouri tonight... and you think this is over???
    All of the Caucus states are going to now go to Ron Paul.
    Quite it with the Propaganda!
    I'll give you a million dollars if you post this on TV... oh wait you already get your millions from the Liberals!

April 10, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  93. Nick from Texas

Am I ready for the election? It's almost a pick-your-poison type of election in 2012. Both candidates, assuming Mitt Romney wins, will continue the bipartisanship that has turned America into a political gang affair. Instead of having to choose whether we want to have Republicans or Democrats running our country, we ought to choose somebody who will unite the US of A. And to answer your question, I'm more ready for the 2012 Summer Olympics than the 2012 Presidential Election.

April 10, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  94. Winston

No. Skip the campaign. Fire everyone in Washington and replace them with 18 year-old assistant managers from the nation's Dave and Busters franchises. They'd upgrade today's legislative, judicial and executive branches.

April 10, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  95. Sherry

I've waited 7 mos to have my son come back from war. The idea of waiting 7 mos to find out who's going to be his next commander and chief scares me more than him being deployed!

April 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  96. mrmarchi

Whatever happens, America has already won big! Santorum is OUT (gladly)!!!!!

Now, in between Obama vs. Romney, both are average in good and bad points. Both have good and bad deeds, and both have already enough "compromises" over their shoulders that will prevent them from running a clean Government anyway. At least they are not as "conservative" (which means racist, religious freak and narrowed mind) as Santorum! It all being said, which one wins, it will be OK, as who else becomes the next President will have to face and fix the same problems before even start Governing for real!

April 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  97. Rudy Padgett

It's such a shame the Republican Party coukldn't offer the American people better candidates.Now, Peyton place will really get started.All candidates are losers already.

Rudy
    Roanoke, VA

April 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  98. Frances H. Blount

I live in Ohio and you can imagine that I wish we were voting on next Tuesday. I think most people know already who they will vote for and candidates don't need to spend millions of dollars dragging each other through the mud. It's obscene and I am so SICK of it that I can't tell you the depth of my disgust with all the lies. God, help us.

April 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  99. Paul, Parry Sound, Ontario

I'm ready. As a Canadian I'm just an outsider looking in, and that makes it a free trip to the circus.

April 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  100. Roger

You're right. Game on. Glad I don't still live in Ohio. I would have voted for Santorum over Romney in the upcoming PA primary... Lost my PA job yesterday too. Anyone looking for a hard-working conservative? Forget the White House. Let's OCCUPY CONGRESS!

April 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  101. D Halsey

I am not looking forward to the next 7 months of negative campaining and opponent bashing–I do not want to know what your opponent said, is doing, or is not doing–I am interested in what you are going to do that will impact me favorably–I wish the campaign ads would only be aired if all the negativity was replaced with what you as President will do from here–do not allow any remarks against your opponent, only allow what your positive actions will be

April 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  102. LIPS

EXCEPT...RON PAUL has over 300 delegates nad has won the plurality of delegates in at least 7 states!!!...rendering this article useless. santorum's delegates are now unbound. but why tell people the TRUTH right? you've only lost HALF your audience!!!

April 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  103. End of the world

These elections are old news, promises,promises,promises, same old sad song. That's with all political parties. I really don't care if I see another election again, ever. Keep speaking the truth Jack.

April 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  104. Kyle S Irvine, CA

Ready Jack?
    The 2012 election has been going on since November of 2008. You're already hearing about the 2016 Election as well.

April 10, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  105. Michael Wallace

Yes, I'm ready. In particular, I'm interested to see religion and politics clash and rationalization rise. Will my fellow "born again" evangelicals will prioritize politics over piety? How will they justify electing a Mormon instead of a Christian? I am very ready for that conversation.

April 10, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  106. David Osborne

Jack
    Given the current state of the political reality in this country, I'd have to say that I am more ready for a simultaneous root canal colonoscopy session. God help us.
    David Osborne, Kill Devil Hills, NC

April 10, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  107. rebecca in seaford va

It won't matter at all I might get rid of my phone and cable tv just so I won't have to hear all the garbage. Both Obama and Romney will sell us the moon to get a vote and no matter who wins all we will get is the moon dust.

April 10, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  108. PiedType

I'm still trying to wash off the mud from 2010 and am already sick of this year's race. I'm an independent and both sides think I'm fair game. If I could afford to leave the country until Election Day, I would.

Susan R
    Denver

April 10, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  109. wade from texas

the nation is divided now, but by general election it will as divided as at the start of the civil war. i am not ready for that.

April 10, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  110. Gina D.

Looking forward to all the funny Facebook posts. Let the games begin...
    Gina D. from Burbank, CA

April 10, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  111. Larry Wines

If Newt's moon base existed, now would be a good time to go. I'M looking for a candidate who will pledge their billions in Super PAC funds to fixing bridges, building a clean energy future, expanding Amtrak, and yes, giving us a real space program again.

April 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  112. debbekennedy

How do you solve any problem? A friend told me once, "You get up in the morning and START." I am ready to begin and know that with our President with an active group of citizens that believe they can...WILL. YES, we can!

April 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  113. Susan from Idaho

The fat lady has not sung Jack, Let's wait and see who's the biggest liar. Might even be able to make a reality show out of those fables. Sad thing is the general public will be the biggest losers.

April 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  114. Vblock Dutch

Cafferty, why be so cynical? You say neither party can solve the problems we face because the problems are too big and our gov't is too broken? REALLY JACK???? Is that your solution you armchair quarterback??? What you need to do is look at both plans and see which one's more sensible and stop pitting the public against each other with your negative attitude every day. I'm an independent but from following the debate, it sounds to me the Ds are calling for a balanced approach of deficit reductions and tax increases while the Rs are only pitching cut spending only and being completely dogmatic regarding any revenue increases. I'm for evening out the tax % for all over $1M at around 30%. It's not a cure all but its a step in the right direction to keep us on the path of recovery

April 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  115. Pete Mackin

Pete Mackin, Marquette, Michigan – Mr. Cafferty, you are dead on. Neither Romney nor Obama can solve America's problems. To be honest, it's my fault. And it's your fault. Only you and I and every other American getting involved in the Due diligence of each and every local government every week of every month every year will repair the demand our negligence has done. The planning commission I serve on recently held a public hearing on the economic plan for our county and not one member of the public attended. I also don't need thousands of journalists covering the same national story. I need every man, woman and child to start reviewing the budgets and agendas over their community government and comment, blog, facebook, myspace and letter to the editor the daylights out of them.

April 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  116. Bob from Bellmore Long Island, New York

About as ready as I am for a Colonoscopy. Come to think of it, they are very similar.

April 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  117. John from Oregon

I'm ready...ready to hear some real ideas and policy proposals that will address the serious problems that we all face in the USA. Slogans will not cut it this time. The debates between President Obama and Gov. Romney will tell the tale. If all the GOP continues to do is tell me everything that they are AGAINST but have no new ideas (the old trickle down, cut taxes, cut regulations, hate gays, etc. have never worked and never will), they will be soundly defeated. I am anxious to hear some sound policies from the President that address making Social Security solvent (remove the cap on income that requires taxation) and Medicaire (raise taxes to a level that actually funds it and stand up to the Pharmacuetical Industry by insisting on reduced cost for large group purchase power). These are but a few of the things that will take real courage to promote. We need leadership that explains in understanable terms what got us here and what solutions there are for serious change (Simpson/Bowles would be a good start). Bring on the contest od ideas, not slogans and mud slinging.

April 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  118. Dave in AZ

Your Question is, "How ready are you for the general election campaign to start?" when it sould be, "How ready are you for the general election campaign be over?"

April 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  119. Julius

I think the question should be as to wether one is ready to be lied to or not. For the most part they committ perjury and take oath of office.

April 10, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  120. Morgan from Fort Washington MD

Am I ready for it to begin??? I'm ready for it to end, whether it's the general election or primaries it's all the same. The day after President Obama won his election we began talking about this election, just as we are already talking about 2016. The political cycle never stops and our elected officials get paid to continually campaign. I'm ready for politicians to start worrying about doing their jobs and do what is right for this country, rather than getting reelected and collecting votes.

April 10, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  121. Cy Gardner

Oh boy! Two hundred million dollars worth of lying propaganda ads from Karl Rove. A similar amount from Romney's superpac. I envy the countries that limit elections to a couple of months and hold voting on the weekends. Countries like that don't end up with presidents like George W. Bush or candidates like Mitt Romney. We get the democracy we deserve. We must be seriously deranged as a nation. cy from arlington, va

April 10, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  122. Roger Aldi - Burbank CA

Jack – Of course we will subjected to all kinds of lies and distortions, but isn't that why we have news media? Isn't it your job to help us make our way through the garbage, or does journalism simply repeat the lies? I think its time for news folk get back to the job of letting us know what the truth is. Don't simply pass on anyone's spin.

April 10, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  123. Al in Paso

Actually, Jack, as a political junkie, this is good stuff to me. 'Tis intellectually challenging to figure out whose "facts" are correct or, at least, somewhat close to the truth. And don't forget we also have local, state, Congressional, and Senatorial races, too. The census induced redistricting will also cause changes. We may get tired of the baloney, but thank goodness we have choices and freedom to make those choices.

April 10, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  124. RickFromDetroit

I am always ready for the next election and the only thing that we to look forward to this election year is who is the lessor of the evils. This November we have a great choice. We have Pres. Obama who has reversed himself on every Liberal Issue that he campaigned on 3 years ago and Mitt Romney who reverses himself according to the applause from the audience. In comparison we have two millionaire Republicans facing off and the only difference between them is the political party they are affiliated with. Since I am a Democrat I will once again vote for the lessor of the evils and hope for a real Democrat to run in 2016.

April 10, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  125. Ed Schwass

Not ready for more election crap, my cup already flowith over. I guess it will be fun to see which party squawks the loudest and flaps their wings the best. We can all use a good laugh.

April 10, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  126. Angela Charlotte, NC

Remember the story of Pinnocchio Jack? I'm just wondering how long the elephant's trunk will get before November and how high the donkey can kick its heels.

April 10, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  127. Pete Mackin

Pete Mackin, Marquette, Michigan – Mr. Cafferty, you are dead on. Neither Romney nor Obama can solve America's problems. To be honest, it's my fault. And it's your fault. Only you and I and every other American getting involved in the Due diligence of each and every local government every week of every month every year will repair the damage our negligence has done. The planning commission I serve on recently held a public hearing on the economic plan for our county and not one member of the public attended. I also don't need thousands of journalists covering the same national story. I need every man, woman and child to start reviewing the budgets and agendas of their community government and comment, blog, facebook, myspace and letter to the editor the daylights out of them.

April 10, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  128. Nick Bournay in Jackson, Michigan

Jack I'm pumped for this general election. I love politics and enjoy watching all the debates and primary/caucus coverage on CNN. I will be truly surprised if Romney wins my swing state of Michigan after saying he would let the auto industry go bankrupt, plus not to mention he just doesn't seem to connect with what he likes to call the "poor" which he needs or women voters either. This flip flopper won't get my vote it November, Obama 2012. I look forward to seeing these 2 jab back and forth at each other come general election debate time.

April 10, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  129. Joshua

Maybe it's about time for the media to stop ignoring the huge crowds Ron Paul has be bringing in the last month. The media also loves to give their ideas of what the delegate count is but no one will know for sure until Tampa.

April 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  130. Nataniel

the HHS mandate's command that faith based organizations have to violate thier consciences to avoid a scuffle by the government will be one of the major factors in voting for my first general election.

April 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  131. JB

Sandy Oregon

Can we postpone the election for a year or so until the economy improves? The blanket of malaise that permeates our society has primarily been economic with quite a few natural disasters to keep us depressed. Now we usher in 6 months of well communicated divisiveness for your bottom line while we believe we can change the country by who the president is. Sorry Jack, but our only hope is to toss the tv and data overload out the window and begin re-establishing healthy neighborhoods. When that happens the country will heal itself.

April 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  132. Troy

Well Jack what alternatives do we have, not have an election this year? A truth image trick done publically outweighs the only other way, a leader who is untested. This election I would like to see candidates who convince the voters and not the other way around, at all.

April 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  133. Dave in AZ

Once again we are faced with the lessor of two evils. So much for may the best man (or woman) wins, they didn't even enter the race!

April 10, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  134. Brian Wickremasinghe - Woodland Hills

Now that the competition is defined, lets wait for the Democrats to educate Americans about the lies and half truths of Romney. Let's see how Romney can talk his way out at the debates. Let's see if the four years wasted by the Republicans with a single agenda of seeing off Obama will pay dividends. Let's see how they can explain their inactivity and partisan politics to the constituents. Yes, I am ready for four more years of Obama.

April 10, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  135. Robert W. North Carolina

I'm ready for it to be over already. It is supersized politics which is something that I don't even like undersized. I concede that it is occasionally entertaining. It's a circus but and I like to see a good circus, one evening per year. Hopefully whoever wins will instill confidence in the future to the American people, otherwise we will be in bigger trouble than we are now.

April 10, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  136. Joan

I will enjoy my summer because I know who I will vote for and I will get ready for a big celebration when President Obama is elected for a second term. He speaks to me because I am not of the one percent and I don't want to go back to the time of George Bush – no more wars!

April 10, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  137. steve in kc

I'm so ready for it to be over but I have four suggestions;
    1. We offer a bounty equal to the campaign contribution on anyone who buys $1000+ of "speech" for ANY candidate.
    2. We double it if those contributions pay for ads that cross state lines. I'll happily pay a small tax increase to fund the kill squads. I'm sick of say Fl residents buying attack ad's in WA for example.
    3. ALL Presidential ad's must be done LIVE and feature LIVE the candidate for whom its advocating.
    4. We offer a Thanksgiving turkey shoot as first prize to anyone who promises to avoid ALL TV advertisements, read about the issues and arrive at their own conclusions as to who to vote for. The "turkeys" (or targets)will be the great Supreme Court justices who brought you all this Citizen United crap, trading their robes for tar and feathers. And I've already started boiling the tar pot. Just to be clear, this is live fire event.......

April 10, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
  138. John from Alabama

Jack: I do not believe either one of the candidates can solve the ills that bother this nation. I do believe there are solutions, but one side can not just say, "no" to everything. We need a Congress which has a balanced approach, and not one side that believes the word "compromise" is a dirty word. Life is a give and take proposition, and politics is the same way. I hope President Obama wins, because our son is able to be own our health insurance coverage. I hope he wins, because the Tea Party movement needs to change or leave Congress. I hope President Obama wins, because he was willing to cut $4 trillion dollars in the deficit, but the Speaker of the House could not produce the votes for it.

April 10, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
  139. Paul (Charles Town, WV)

Very! And I am VERY ready for it all to be over! The Federal government is TOO big and TOO inefficient. There are too many cooks in the kitchen, if you ask me. If the forefathers could see how the checks and balances in this system have resulted in huge deficits and so many imbalances, they would take their checkbook back and give the land back to the Native Americans.

April 10, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
  140. John

This election has been bought and sold by Corporate America.. It's there election not our's. Billiionaire's haggling with Millionaires.

April 10, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
  141. Kevin

Jack, Is it any wonder that this two headed monster continues down the path of distruction? Real indicators have been removed from the equation and neither party seems too concerned. Unemployment statistics should now only be reported as Employment statistics. While inflation is measured without food or energy costs come on America don't just be sheeple. Ron Paul is the only one in the game telling the truth and the majority are too stupid to understand or too corrupt to ever allow the sheeple to be woken.

April 10, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  142. marybeth, massachusetts

Ready for the general election season to get started? Started? Started? Really? Where have you been, Jack, sleeping under a rock for the past 3 years? It started before President Obama was inaugurated, with Rush Limbaugh and Mitch McConnell and John Boehner and other Republicans vowing to be the party of "NO" and stating that their only purpose, their sole goal was to make President Obama a one-term president. Rush Limbaugh, the leader of the Republican party, stated that he hoped the President fails. We knew that Romney would be a candidate, but didn't know who else might be interested. None of the Republicans have been doing anything about the crises facing the country–they've been too intent on making sure the President fails. No matter what he proposed, even if it was their idea first, they behaved like two-year olds throwing temper tantrums. This so-called Republican primary has merely been the dress rehearsal.

And it has been too long. How about calling a truce for 3 years after a president is inaugurated, and this way we only have to suffer through 1 year of slick marketing, outright lies, made-up "facts", slimy political ads, and even slimier politicans lying and pretending they didn't say and believe the things they said (we have it all on videotape and youtube).

Please, Jack, do us all a favor and give us a break before you start in on 2016.

April 10, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  143. Roland King

It’s better than the alternative but I am absolutely tired of politics.

The lies, the distortions, the hubris, the downright propaganda that has split the nation is exhausting. How did we let it happen? How did we let divisive propaganda pass for news in our country?

How are we supposed to decide who is best for our country when one party is catering to religious zealots and racists carrying pitchforks and axes while the other meekly defends reason as if reason had no virtue?

April 10, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  144. Betty

I will be voting for Ron Paul and I know his numbers are so far beyond what the media leads us to believe that people will be astonished when he wins. The media is digging the GOP's grave by ignoring the good Doctor Paul. Millions and millions of Americans from the left and right are voting for him. Tens of thousands of supporters went to listen to Dr. Paul in California last week, nearly 10,000 just at UCLA. Romney or Newt don't get that kind of reception. I will write Ron Paul in if he does not get the nomination.

April 10, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  145. David P Vernon

Tucson, AZ – Here it comes, ready or not. Big money is going to lie day and night in order to poison the support for its opposition. Washington is not "broken" – it is just partisan politics, taking precedence over the national interest, which has deadlocked the Congress. The fix is simple – voting for representatives who understand that the Constitution requires compromise, not rigid adherence to principles. Objective analysis indicates that the Republicans have spent 30 years driving the country into a ditch, but recognize neither their failures of the past nor the abysmal stupidity of their policies for the future. Democrats, lacking party unity as usual, have struggled to get the country back on the road, but have yet to get it back up to speed, thanks to Mr McConnell and his blocking minority in the Senate. The Republicans do a great job of selling fiction; the Democrats do a lousy job of selling facts. God help us if the voters do not see through the game and vote according to reality. It is your job, Jack, to point out when a policy is just nonsense. See to it.

April 10, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
  146. Thomas

Sooo not interested in the Fall campaign to begin anytime soon...and the voting isn't until NOVEMBER. Did I say November? Yes, November. Please?

April 10, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
  147. Brandon

"And Ron Paul doesn't have enough delegates to fill a phone booth."

Seems someone doesn't know how the delegate selection process works...might want to read up on that.

April 10, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
  148. Andy

A better question, Jack, is how ready are you and the vast majority of the mainstream media to attack the Republican nominee once again, while you defend the Failure-In-Chief that you propped up in 2008?

April 10, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  149. Holly in CA

I am soooo ready for the Obama/Romney debates to begin. I want to hear President Obama look me in the eye (via TV) and explain how we're better off today than 3 years ago. In the past 12 months my house has lost 20% value, my food bill has doubled, my health insurance premiums have gone up by 25%, my kids' are now in overcrowded classrooms, and my small business income is way down. Oh, and I forgot to mention the extra $400 a month for gasoline.

April 10, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  150. Mark in Houston

Jack, for me, it' not so much being or not being ready, it's more about having given up on it all. We're in for seven months of lies, false promises, false adds, accusations and , huge amounts of money spent..... and we get what? More of the same.

I think the great shining moments of this country are history.

April 10, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  151. Mike in CT

Glad I don't live in a toss up state.

April 10, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  152. Jenna Roseville CA

How ready are you for the general election campaign to start?

No, let the Republicans keep eating their own. That is the best entertainment of all.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

April 10, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
  153. Nick. Lafayette,LA

Ready to get this long, national nightmare over with. I don't really think any campaigning is necessary. Everyone's pretty much made up their mind already.but I guess everyone will have to grit through hearing how good one candidate is and how evil the other one is.i truly believe that it will come down to if the enthusiasm of those who want to oust the compromising President Obama is more than the enthusiasm of those who don't want an unprincipled Romney to lead this country. It's all about who will show up to vote on election day...holding their nose the whole way.

April 10, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
  154. Diane

Is it over yet, wake me up mid November and tell me who the winner is. Wow, heat up the DVR's, hit the mute button or better yet shut off the television. Thank heavans all of this invasion of blah blah blah happens in the summertime when we are the least captive. Time to escape to the great outdoors and enjoy yourselves, stay inside and watch all of this an you will consider bodily harm. Again wake me when its over.................snooze time.

April 10, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
  155. Tyrone, Schenectady NY

To me it is a waste of time. It is clear from Gov Romney's record in MA he is a Blue Dog Democrat, and we already have a Democrat in office. I'm good with President Obama, and I am more than ready and willing to load up my Ford Expedition for election day. We will not leave one vote if I can help it. TRUST WE ARE READY OBAMA2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  156. sielingfan Syracuse, NY

The federal government is NOT the mechanism for solving our problems.

The federal government IS the problem.

(added city/state)

April 10, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  157. Henry

Jack ur a silly Mockingbird. It saddens me to know that we can fit All of whats left of True Journalism in a phone booth. The media's BLACKOUT of Dr. Paul's Record breaking town hall Events is Discussing. You wanna crown goldman sach's puppet to run against wall street's biggest puppet obama? Now that is Silly Jack🙂 Ron Paul 2012 ReLOVEultion!

April 10, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
  158. John Skurka

Let's see Obama say's let's tax the rich. The result will be less jobs created from the job creators and those that are created would be lesser paying jobs.

Romney – Let the job creators keep their capital and actually work with them to create more higher paying jobs.

I am for uniting the entire country and not dividing the country. Leaders bring people together while community organizers divide. If we want to create jobs and get the economy back on track you vote for Romney.

If you want to be the next Greece you can vote for Obama who will continue to drive the debt to the destruction of our country!

April 10, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
  159. Patrick, Philadelphia

Jack...I'm so unmotivated to participate in the charade that we call "democratic elections" that I figure if I send in my application now for Citizenship in Australia (or Canada, or Bratislava..or ANYWHERE but here), I could probably get approved, emigrate and take up my new citizenship all before the November Lie-Fest comes around!

April 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  160. Logic N LA

I am ready but only if the media does it's job and calls out the lies. Give us REAL news for a change and stop making up fake "breaking News"

April 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  161. Pam from Texas

Yes, I most certainly am ready for it to be over. And yet, I am looking forward to Mitt "Robot" Romney to entertain us all. He'll change his mind so much that confusion will become the norm. The debates, my Lord, the debates. You, SNL, Stewart, Colbert, Maddow and many others will have a grand old time. All that money wasted and for what? Enjoy, Jack. I cannot wait for all your questions.

April 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  162. David

It's time for people to stop ignoring Ron Paul's candidacy.

April 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  163. Peter T

This campaign started on Nov 5th, 2008. Get with the times!

April 10, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
  164. Dan Bednarik

I'm ready for a new government Jack.

April 10, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
  165. Lisa, Montana

It now reminds me of that line in "Clash of the TItans" - release the Kraken!!!

And there's an 8- headed monster with the faces of Karl Rove, Sean Hannity, Glenn Bec k, Roger Ailes, Rush Limbaugh, Michele Bachman, Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich - all ready with their snide comments, lies, distortions that will crush any spending by the little people like me who can only afford $50 here and there.

These people have been creating an "evil twin for Barack Obama" and their network is nothing more than a noun, a verb, and "it's Obama's fault and he's destroying America".

CNN - the CREDIBLE NEWS NETWORK!!

April 10, 2012 at 4:56 pm |