Can you hear the fat lady singing yet in the GOP race?
February 29th, 2012

Can you hear the fat lady singing yet in the GOP race?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

With two more victories last night, Mitt Romney has recaptured the momentum that has been so elusive.

Headed into Super Tuesday next week, Romney should have the wind at his back, with his big win in Arizona and the more narrow victory in his home state of Michigan.

In addition, Romney has won four other primary contests: New Hampshire, Florida, Nevada and Maine. Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich have won five states combined. Ron Paul: Zero.

Romney is also back on top of the national polls, after briefly losing that spot to Santorum.

And perhaps Romney senses he may soon end this thing. He didn't mention Santorum at all in last night's speech, saving all his fire for President Obama and fixing the economy.

It's worth pointing out that Romney still has issues with the Republican base. Michigan exit polls showed that Santorum handily defeated Romney among voters who define themselves as "very conservative" and those who want a candidate with a strong moral character.

But even if many conservatives aren't crazy about Romney, it's becoming difficult to see a path to victory for any of his competitors.

Working in Romney's favor, he beat Santorum in Michigan among voters who care strongly about defeating the president and among those who say the economy is their top concern. He also won the Catholic vote, which is a strong rebuke of Santorum.

Meanwhile, the Republicans better get their business sorted out, and soon. CNBC reports that markets are already beginning to anticipate an Obama victory in November. Stocks are rising on growing expectations that the president will be re-elected.

Here’s my question to you: Can you hear the fat lady singing yet in the GOP race?

Tune in to the Situation Room at 5pm to see if Jack reads your answer on air.

And, we love to know where you’re writing from, so please include your city and state with your comment.

Posted by
Filed under: 2012 Election • GOP Ticket
  1. Mel - Houston

I think she's beginning to warm up, but; right now she sound a lot like Rosanne Barr. Kind of flat and out of tune with the rest of society.

February 29, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
  2. Kenneth in California

If the economy continues to improve, and it supposedly is today, the portly one is already singing the Blues.

February 29, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  3. David R Bebeau,Springfield Missouri

Jack,I am NOT!! taking sides right or left......................I am reporting common sense and NOT being rude.It simply amazes me that last time the GOP put up Ole John with the squeaky moose.Now they have four guys in a pathetic knife fight that have no plan and no direction as to anything.Yes Jack the fat lady is singing like crazy,danced the last dance,turned out the lights and called in the dogs.How on earth could any rational person think any of this is going to win an election...........................amazing Jack
    David

February 29, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
  4. Carney in Cincinnati

Money guarantees Romney the Republican nomination, but his "off the cuff" remarks about Cadillacs and trees are probably are not going to stop any time soon. In the context of an election campaign against a sitting POTUS who happens to be African-American, please tell me that Romney's comments about Michigan trees being "the right height" is not a coded foray into racial polarization. Arboreal it ain't. The fat lady is weeping, not singing.

February 29, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
  5. Victor M

She is singing alright and sounds like bad episodes of American Idol.

February 29, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
  6. Michael Bindner, Alexandria, VA

Who's the fat lady, Newt in drag? Unless he wins Georgia, she has not even started warming up – although if Romney sweeps the table next week, she might be ready to let lose. I still think Ron Paul will surprise some folks in Virginia, where libertarians have quite a pressence.

February 29, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
  7. Bert in Los Angeles

Hi Jack, yes and she has been singing "Anyone but Romney" for the last six years.

February 29, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
  8. Karl in Flint, MI

She hasn't even booked the flight to get to that finale but as long as she isn't singing Latin hymns for Pope Rick, it's fine with me. If this insufferable performance goes on long enough it will probably be a dirge for the GOP like "and now the end is near and I must face the final curtain" and not "Everything is coming up roses".

February 29, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  9. Steve, Clifton, Virginia

Yeah Jack, the fat lady is singing "solo", that is, "so low" you can't hear her.

February 29, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
  10. Paul, Parry Sound, Ontario

No, but I can hear her laughing.

February 29, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  11. Gary H. Boyd

I wouldn't call it singing Jack, it's more of a long, drawn-out sigh. Were it to be a song it would, no doubt, be entitled, "Mercifully it's over".

Gary in Scottsdale, Arizona

February 29, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  12. Richard Texas

Now would be a good time for an independent to enter the race. I have voted republican all my life but if this is all they have left to offer then it is time to jump ship. I am not wasting my vote on rats like these for the next 4 years.

February 29, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  13. Bill of New Mexico

With 10% Democrats supposedly voting for Santorum, Santorum didn't win in Michigan.

Yes, Mitt has likely got the nomination.

I can vote for Mitt.

February 29, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  14. tom bulger, Canandaigua, NY

The smart money (Warren Buffet) and the stupid money (Ann Coulter) have always been on Romney to win the nomination and Obama to win the nation. The fat lady sang and left the ball park a long time ago.

February 29, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
  15. Tom in Desoto, TX

I don't believe she is singing for all but has sung for others. Of course, Newt is ignoring her but even he can see he has more than one fork sticking out of him than Custer had arrows..

February 29, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
  16. Pete in Florida

Can't hear her yet – she's being drowned out by the 4 fat heads on the campaign trail. These guys are so lame I think the GOP will HAVE to bring in a dark horse at their convention.....unless they WANT to lose, that is.

February 29, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
  17. James - Alexandria, VA

The fat lady destroyed her vocal chords a long time ago regarding the GOP.

February 29, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
  18. Noel Sivertson New Mexico

Oh, I hope not. This is too good a show for the plot to weaken before the final curtain. Go Rick! Go Newt! Obama and I are depending on you.

February 29, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
  19. Andrew in Brier, WA

Not a sound, Jack.

But when it comes it'll be more like "Th-Th-Th-Th-Th-... That's all, folks!"

February 29, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
  20. Rick McDaniel

Its going to be a while.

February 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
  21. Pete in Georgia

Well Jack, at least the Republicans are having an open discussion with many different kinds of candidates, over 20 + nationally televised debates with the biased left wing media crafting the questions in their liberal favor while the Democrats offer NOTHING but a mindless blind allegiance to the current deceiver in the White House, an inevitable march over the cliff of socialist government dependency that will cost our children and grandchildren the bulk of their wages for the rest of their lives as they will probably live a lifestyle lower than their great grandparents.
    Interesting contrast, don't you think ??

February 29, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  22. Conor in Chicago

To quote Ron Paul: "We have your delegates". If you don't know what I am talking about, research it. This thing hasn't even started yet.

February 29, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
  23. Mycroft Lake Travis Texas

I've heard her singing since it started, you can hear her too. The "Fat Lady" is Carl Rove and you can catch his sad song on Faux News. You must remember he's the one that got that AWOLer / Deserter Bush selected President, he's still out there spinning his lies, slinging his mud and weaving the evil, he weaves so well. He's really got his work cut out for him when Romney wins the nomination and the general election begins. So many of us are ready and waiting to combat his scourge on society, that we already are anticipating his evil conspiracies, ploys and plots. For now he's got the Big Oil deception going full ahead. You must remember Big Oil and Care Rove were the ones that brought you Bush and Cheney, and you should remember the rest. The lies, the conspiracy, the murder, the maiming, and the torture of millions of innocent Iraqis and oh yeah right, it was just a coincidence, that Saddam signed a ten year contract to sell oil to Russia for Twenty Dollars a barrel during the end of the Clinton Administration. Free market right, not when your willing to sell oil for Twenty dollars a barrel, heck it might even get you killed. Blood money,greed and evil, that is what we are expecting from "Mr Fat Lady", and more outings of CIA agents or other conspired treason's. Are you up for the encore ?

February 29, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
  24. Bizz, Quarryville Pennsylvania

Romney only won Michigan by three percentage points even after Santorum gave some crazy speeches that left people scratching their heads. There is a large part of the Republican Party that does not trust Romney and this has been evident in every state that he won. The fat lady might be warming up her voice but she isn't singing yet. Super Tuesday should tell the story.

February 29, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  25. jimmy in greenville nc

Jack, the fat lady has lost so much weight I can barely hear her. The song she was singing sounded like Johnny Cash's "A Boy Named Sue." The Republican primary has been like one of those reality shows where no one wants to get kicked off the island. I think Newt and Rick's stars have burned out. After one or two more sightings of Bigfoot we should be able to throw Romney to the MSM media.

February 29, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  26. Jk from Minnesota

Hard to tell, Jack. There's still a lot of time for Mittens to stick his foot in his mouth like he did last night in calling for the repatriotizing all of that tax dodging money sitting off shore. And how much of it is his???????

February 29, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
  27. Doug Ericson

I don't think Romney is inevitable anymore. I havn't done the math, ( thats what you folks get paid for ), but its possible the winner of the Republican Nomination for Puppet 2012 will be Mr. Gridlock. Can you imagine that? I can. What isn't possible when the leading candidate, ( Romney The Commie ), wants to destroy the Middle Class by taking the Mortgage Interest Deduction away. I would expect that from a Dennis Kucinivitch, or a Bernie Sanders, ( the fith string carpet bagging Vermont Senator, from New Jersey ), but not from Thanks Daddy Mitt. I wanted Rick to win Michigan so bad, just to punish the Heritic Mitt. I even told God I would quit smoking if he let Rick win. No luck, I am consumed with pain, like a wounded wolf, alone in the wilderness, I cry, How uuuuuuu. Doug, Pepperell, MA.

February 29, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
  28. Ralph in Corpus

Nope- only the little fat man...
    Ralph- Corpus Christi, texas

February 29, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
  29. Steve,NY

The fat lady will sing when the cheating Democrats stop voting in Republican Primaries for a candidate that they have no intention for voting in November. Also she' ll be singing again when Obama looses in November. Those five years he's been bragging about will turn to 2 months. The Republican Machine will turn on full blast in June and will cause the Liberals talking to themseves all summer. In November they will ask, what the heck happened??

February 29, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
  30. Alex Apple (Nashville, TN)

Jack–With all four candidates poised to pick up more delegates on Super Tuesday, I can see all carrying on. But if Mitt Romney wins Ohio, the fat lady will start singing. However, has Romney already been bruised too badly to beat President Obama? I think so.

February 29, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
  31. Mike

The question is can they here the rank and file. Both parties are out of touch. It use to be where the agenda was set first at the local level and, if it was credible, it would make to the state, district and national convention. Now the, so called leaders of the party forces THEIR agenda on us. I think the people are tired of THEM telling us to lock step with them. Kick them all out I say

February 29, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
  32. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

It amazes me that a reference to a large person would be used in this manner. There is a high school in Ohio that will hold class again this Friday and three young people will never walk the halls of that school again and people are more concerned about the idiotic GOP race. Not one of these so called Americans mentioned the tragic situation in their high flying speeches last night as their only concern is themselves. I hope the President slam dunks the election in Novemeber.

February 29, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
  33. Mr D

The only song that the fat lady will be singing is: "I've got you under my skin.'" A lot of people will be thinking, yes, Mitt does get under my skin. Consequently, he may bloom in the Spring but wither in the Fall.

February 29, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
  34. Ram Riva

NO!....Republicans simply don't like Romney....they're looking in the horizon for a knight in a shinning armor that can contend against the President of the United States, Barack Obama.....also is very difficult for most GOPers to overcome the religious barrier that represents the fact that Romney is a Mormon....most of the electorate don't consider it an established religion but simply a Cult.....though call for the conservative electorate....

February 29, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  35. Jenna Roseville CA

Can you hear the fat lady singing yet in the GOP race?

Hardly Jack, Sarah Palin is counting on a Brokered Convention. She thinks that she is a shoe in for the GOP Presidential nomination. God help the GOP if she doesn't get it. Hell has no fury like a Palin scorn.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

February 29, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
  36. JD in NH

If there's a fat lady nearby and she's a Republican, she might consider entering the primary. From most reports, Republicans aren't satisfied with any of their candidates.

February 29, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
  37. Dan in Albuquerque

Yes, Jack, she is singing very weakly because her throat is hoarse from yelling for so many different frontrunners. And, she is singing a song that a big percentage of Republicans don't like.

February 29, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
  38. Fred Allan in Cleveland, Mississippi

No, Jack, I can't. If anything, what I continue to hear in the GOP race is "anybody but Romney!"

February 29, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
  39. Matt, Miami

Yes, you're right again Jack. Mitt Romney will soon be going on his commercial ala Christine O'donnell, the fat lady in the "I am not a witch" commercial and singing a similar but opposite claim. He'll be saying " I am not just rich I have many friends who are rich, too! Everybody will eat cake when I'm President.!"

February 29, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
  40. MARK, OKLAHOMA CITY

This GOP Fat Lady ain't gonna be singing for while, Jack. If fact, she has decided to go on a diet and expects to be THIN by the time the GOP picks a candidate.

February 29, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  41. Jeff In Minnesota

Nope. This is going to be an ugly, drawn out, mud slinging, battle to the finish. In the end, I'm guessing we end up with Mitt Romney heading the ticket and Newt Gingrich as his running mate. And what of Senators Santorum and Paul? In my opinion, they are just too far over the edge to be considered viable in any role.

February 29, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  42. Annie, Atlanta

No, I think I'm hearing the fat lady sing for the new and improved extremist Republican Party, the one that let the birchers take control. But maybe that's just wishful thinking. We better brace ourselves for the hate and fear that will be heading our way shortly.

February 29, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
  43. RickFromDetroit

It sounds like the "Fat Lady" is singing off key. The more Romney insults the voters, the better he doe's. Romney's win in Michigan came after he refused to endorse the Auto Bailouts and one out of every eight jobs in Michigan is Auto related, and he also said to the "effect" the UAW [United Auto Workers] are a bunch of dummies. Twenty per cent of the Michigan workforce in union.

Romney also says that he will cut the Corporate Tax Rate to 20% when most of the Corporations are paying less than 20% now, and many are paying nothing.

How much worse can a candidate get and still win? Hopefully the Democrats will answer this question in November!

February 29, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
  44. Cliff Glass - Rego Park, New York

Jack,

The sound you hear is not singing, but the mass dissonance of women across this country objecting to Republican geriatrics determining their reproductive rights.

February 29, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
  45. Greg in Arkansas

I heard the "Fat Lady" singing loud-and-clear when the GOP gave up speaking from a podium and started preaching from the pulpit.
    As soon as economic ideas started taking a back seat to social ideals, I knew the GOP field only had a bunch of slogans that pandered to their base and offered very few solutions that would fix the economy.
    In this election,.....it's STILL the economy.......everything else just is a distraction.

February 29, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
  46. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Jack: She might be singing--but it is all falling on "deaf ears." Whoever emerges as the GOP candidate-–November is going to be a "bloodbath" for the GOP.

February 29, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
  47. andy Lynn, MA

That's the problem with land whales, a.k.a. fat ladies; by the time you hear them sing the show is over. Besides, what will the news services talk about without the Republican Reality Show, "I wanna be president." Jack, I watch the news with rapt attention to see what drivel Pope Sanctorum will espouse upon the unwashed masses. Think he'll send the Grand Inquisitor to find me? He's an example of the reason why I left the Catholic church and now call myself a Christian, not a Catholic..

February 29, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
  48. Dave - Phx

All I can say is god I hope so. The rediculous display put on by the Republican's should make hard for any non evangelical religous person to vote for them.

February 29, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
  49. Brenda

Yeah, I hear the fat lady singing O B A M A , sorry GOP the party is over.

February 29, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
  50. Mike

It doesn't matter. Obama will crush whichever opponent the Republicans nominate, and I will gladly vote for Obama. Our national security is better, our economy is better, and our nation is better since Obama was elected. And I look at my own personal situation, my portfolio is up 70% since Obama was elected, and Obamacare has made very positive changes to my family's health insurance situation. He has done a good job, he deserves to be re-elected.

Mike

Wilmington, NC

February 29, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
  51. todd

It's pretty clear that Romney is the least fanatical of the remaining candidates, so he will probably win the nomination. However, between his gaffes where he shoves his millions in people's faces and his very lukewarm GOP support, not to mention his 180 degree flip flops on multiple issues, Obama will have a fairly easy time of it in the general election, despite the weak economic growth.

February 29, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  52. Jennifer

Romney is easily the strongest candidate to run against Obama. He also makes Obama look silly when you compare the two's achievements. Granted Obama has had some victories as president, the nation is looking to someone who will bring economic redemption. If Obama can take the credit for an improving economy, he will win. But, I don't believe we've seen the worst of the recession. If it snaps before November Obama is out and Romney will usher in the new direction.

Besides Economy, America has yet to aline with Obama's direction. More than 48% feel we're headed in the wrong direction. I think Republicans and independents are now seeing how great a candidate Romney is. I think the race is his to win at this point.

February 29, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
  53. Jake

No fat lady yet, if my calculations are correct it's Ron Paul's turn to surge and take the lead, no!?

February 29, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
  54. John

No Jack there Is no winner on the GOP side. Who ever does win won't beat President Obama. These People that running for the GOP are nothing but Clowns.

February 29, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
  55. Carol - KY

Yes,Jack, and she better sing quickly because all of us are becoming very weary with the candidates beating up on each other. When can we get to the major issues and show the world that Obama is NOT a choice to keep beating us up and taxing us to death for another 4 years. Spending has to be controlled!! Someone has to undo the damage he has done in these past 3 plus years.

February 29, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
  56. curtis in philadelphia

Jack, you're going to have to wait until after Super Tuesday, but who really knows with these four candidates. By the way, I wouldn't call Sarah Palin fat; a media sell-out and quitter always, fat never. She will be the one leading the chorus for a brokered convention, you bet'cha! The real fat lady sings in November.

February 29, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  57. Andrew

I'm not giving up on Ron Paul. He can win Washington St and take a bump from that. Stocks aren't rising because of Obama. It's a speculative bubble enabled by the Federal Reserve. When you print money, prices rise, and since stocks are the only place to get a return, that's where the money goes. It'll pop again.

February 29, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  58. Paul From Austin Texas

No Jack but I see the pigs flying now.

February 29, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
  59. HoyaSaxa

At this point, Romney should play "not to lose" the nomination. Many Republicans and independents cite "ability to defeat Obama" as a major factor that influences their vote, so as long as Romney doesn't totally alienate these voters with his gaffes, they will eventually coalesce around him due to his electability factor. It's too early to call, but it is difficult to see any of the other candidates make the same case about electability.

February 29, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
  60. mike tampa

I'll tell you what Jack, after watching the Romney the Robot pander to everybody and everything except the middle, I think it is too late. The words " I've been in the economy and know how to creat jobs" falls flat. We have ALL been in the economy no matter what job you had, that does not = creating jobs and he certainly has been unable to prove he created jobs at Bain, at least creating more than he destroyed. He is an empty suit plain and simple with apparently no scruples.

February 29, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
  61. Gerald

The fat lady has sung loud and clear. America now sees two candidates with completely opposite views as to how to lead our economic recovery in the coming years. For our children's sake, I hope we chose wisely.

Gerald, Tampa, FL

February 29, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
  62. Dan from Stewartstown PA

I hear her getting louder every day. The flat worlders who want to involve themselves in everybody's morals and personal lives also want to turn back the clock to the days of the "Trickle On ...oops, I mean Trickle Down" days. But, alas, people I talk to in everyday situations, regurgitate talking points they've heard on Fox news or in political commercials. If this kind of logic wins the presidency for the GOP, then heaven save us from the uneducated ignorant masses along with the educated idiots.

February 29, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
  63. Chris

Jack,

The only fat lady that's singing is the one that is singing about the end of the Obama era. He's a failure–a Jimmy Carteresque blip in America's history. Soon forgotten, but only remembered for his uniqueness and the uniqueness of his failures.

February 29, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
  64. DavidE7

Newt Gingrich is not done yet. He has four assets: the best intellect, the most experience, the most accomplishments, and a sufficient supply of money. This is why the liberals in the media are doing everything possible to make him a non-factor.

February 29, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  65. Leta

She is singing alright but barely audible and out of tune. But then again it must be just my imagination.

February 29, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  66. Robert

This race is so fluid that any momentum gained is lost within 24 hours. Nobody will go into Super Tuesday with any momentum at all. It will all come down to who spends the most money on ads.

February 29, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
  67. Kim , Dodge City, Ks

It would be better yet if she was singing because the entire Republican Party is dissolved. Rational, moderate conservatives have had their party stolen from them by the right wing fringe nut cases.

February 29, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  68. Randy

Just to point out the ridiculousness of the Republican assertion note the markets are rising in anticipation of a democratic, rather than a republican victory. Since the 1920's the markets have risen an average of 50% during democratic presidential terms and 20% during republican terms.

February 29, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  69. A Southern Lady - North Carolina

After so many Republican debates we have had the opportunity to see each candidate and it is not a pretty sight. We have Romney, a good man, who has had to be on every side of every issue and become something he is not to appeal to the Tea Partiers and the far-right religious nuts who have taken over the party. Santorum who is so far out of the norm that he could be running for Pope. Gingrich with his fingers in every pot and the morals of an alley cat and Ron Paul, everyones crazy uncle. What has happened to the once-proud Republican party? Obama in 2012

February 29, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  70. Anthony from New Jersey

No, Jack. I don't want this opera to ever end. The longer this ship of fools is afloat, the faster they'll all go down together to Davy Jones's locker. I haven't had this much fun since watching the Marx brothers.

February 29, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  71. Frank Poynton

Yes I can hear the fat lady singing and she is singing the praises of an Obama win in November. from Los Angeles, CA

February 29, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  72. Areyoukiddingme?

"CNBC reports that markets are already beginning to anticipate an Obama victory in November. Stocks are rising on growing expectations that the president will be re-elected."

-That makes no sense, considering a GOP victory would be best for Wall Street and the economy. Sounds like more liberal rubbish!

February 29, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  73. Scott

Oh, you mean Gov. Chris Christie? No, but I can hear him yelling at people to SHUT UP.

February 29, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
  74. Iyer

Not only is the fat lady singing in the GOP primaries, I can also hear her rehearsing for the big one. No one is talking about it yet Jack, but it is a diplomatic coup of sorts that North Korea agreed to what they did! Osama and North Korea those are two solid points for the President on the foregin policy front. The economy looking positive, the lunatics on the Right picking a fight with Obama on social issues and Romney not very exciting to the Republican base all point to a decisive Obama victory. I can't say that Pres. Obama entirely deserves a second term but the Republicans surely deserve to lose!

February 29, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
  75. Bertina

Yes, and the lady is singing that the republicans will lose.

February 29, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
  76. Joe

There is a path to victory for the competitors. They can team up, combine their resources to create a convention system ground game, get their combined delegates elected to the national convention, and hold a caucus to determine which role each of them will play in the next administration. The primary voting that is happening right now only binds delegates for (in most cases) one ballot at convention. Also, in most cases, the delegates that actually vote at convention are selected through local and state conventions and not through the primary process. If no candidate recieves a majority of bound-delegate-votes on the first ballot, then the whole game will change. It currently looks like the best Romney can do is to earn about 40% of bound-delegate-votes on the first ballot. Of course, this plan relies on the other three setting aside their differences until late July.

February 29, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
  77. Jim Paladino, Tampa,Florida

Governor Romney leads the field in delegates, number of votes, number of states (won) and endorsements, yet the media chooses to portray his candidacy as tenuous, which is peculiar at best. The Fat Lady is singing loud and clear.

February 29, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
  78. Teaparty01

NOT YET JACK

We are all waiting for SARAH ! ! !

February 29, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
  79. Sirned

Does it really matter what Republican gets the nomination? The billionaire donors will call the shots and the lobbiests will write the bills. Why not Kid Rock? It really doesn't matter does it?

February 29, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
  80. Gary in San Jose California

The fat lady may not be singing yet but she's reaching for the pitch pipe. Romney is going to be the nominee but it doesn't really matter. Our government is broken and the President can't fix it regardless of who holds the office.

February 29, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
  81. Burbank from CA

I dont' hear her singing quite yet, Jack. Santorum was the latest flavor of the month, but Ron Paul is the only candiate that has not had a turn yet. He may suprise us all!

February 29, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
  82. GRIMREALITY

I hear the fat lady singing, and she is singing "four more years".

The right knows in their hearts that Santorum is not going to win against Obama, that is their reality. Romney is the only one that stands a chance (sorry Ron Paul supporters, I know he gets no respect). However with the amount of material out there after these bruising primaries fiasco, will he be running against Obama or himself?

February 29, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
  83. David of Alexandria VA

At the moment, I think i can hear her screaming in exasperation. There is not enough of a differentiation in primary results to convince people to drop out - even though they should - and know they should. C'mon Newt and Rick. You know who they are.

February 29, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
  84. Dwayne

The fat lady started singing during the end of Bush's disastrous presidency, that is, if the American public has any sense. Four years isn't enough to turn around the economic collapse Bush and the GOP created, but Obama has started turning things around. The fat lady needs an encore for her 2008 performance.

February 29, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  85. George

I think she may be singing for the party as a whole. If they don't unseat Mr. Obama the Republican party could well be doomed to extinction. Then we could get rid of the Democrats and get some viable Independent candidates. Candidates who wouldn't have to toe the party line!!!

February 29, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  86. Heather S. from Twin Falls, Idaho

I sure hope she is warming up...this race needs to be over for the health of the Republican party. Mitt Romney is the ONLY choice when it comes to "fixing" this Country, that is his strong suit, fixing things! Frankly I am tired of the Media speaking of Mitt as a weak candidate, who is the only one who has remained at the head of the pack while the others have come and gone? Mitt Romney, yet they say if he doesn't do well with this state or that state that his campaign is falling apart? Wow seems very odd to me since he is leading the delegate count.

February 29, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
  87. Kevin, Chester Springs, PA

To quote Jeff Goldblum's character from Independence Day, "Forget the fat lady! You're obsessed with the fat lady!" Let's see what happens on Super Tuesday. The longer this Republican primary season goes on, the more entertaining it is to watch the GOP implode.

February 29, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
  88. open400

I expect the Tampa 2012 convention to be a blood bath(like the 1968 convention in Chicago was for the Democrats). I think the Tea Party will take over the convention in a way that will just plain annoy the GOP party bosses and scare the rest of America. The 2012 convention will be the beginning of the for the Tea Party.

February 29, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
  89. Not All Docs Play Golf

Jack: here's my idea for a political cartoon...The Romneys flying down the road in their 2 Cadillacs with opera music blaring while 2 middle class working Americans are in crates strapped to the top of each, screaming for their lives.

Evansville, Indiana

February 29, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  90. Bill - Miami

For the GOP, there NEVER will be a WINNER. The party is so divided between semi-reasonable voices and extremists, they can only hope for GOOD ENOUGH. Their focus on defeating Obama, the America-hating, economy-killing dictator', means they have NO TIME to outline real solutions. It seems disinformation and divisive rhetoric is all they know anymore.

February 29, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
  91. Allan Price

I don't think you will hear the fat lady because she is tone DEAF

February 29, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
  92. John Byrne

Has Newt conceded any of his losses? He refused to call Romney to concede after losing Florida. No one has mentioned if he has learned any manners since then. Refusal to lose gracefully just hurts his candidacy more.

February 29, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
  93. Peter in Toronto

She won't be singing Jack, she'll be crying the blues. Obama and the democrats will be the ones singing as the GOP continues to self-destruct. I think they're running out of feet to shoot.

February 29, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
  94. demogoat

If moral character is the conservatives core quality, they should vote for President Obama.

February 29, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  95. Paul - North Carolina

Yes, but let the aria continue for a few more excruciating notes. I anticipate a few last desperate attacks from Santorum and Gingrich. And Romney surely won't pass up a chance to diss the poor one more time. This may have been inevitable but by August Republicans will be suffering form a terminal case of Buyer's Remorse.

February 29, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
  96. open400

I expect the Tampa 2012 convention to be a blood bath(like the 1968 convention in Chicago was for the Democrats). I think the Tea Party will take over the convention in a way that will just plain annoy the GOP party bosses and scare the rest of America. The 2012 convention will be the beginning of the end for the Tea Party.

February 29, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
  97. sam carollo

jack most of the time your on the money but if jobs are down gas is up and the economy looks bad obama will lose

February 29, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  98. riley oday

Here in WV the lady is loud and clear , the president will be reelected.

February 29, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  99. Ed - Rochester, NY

The fat lady is still trying to figure out if this opera is a comedy or a tragedy.

February 29, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
  100. billgme

It's a long time to November, and the anger in this country over the current direction Obama is taking us is becoming a real issue. Democrats may enjoy and pundits express that Obama will win easily, but we'll see. For one party this early to suggest it's over only plays to Republicans.

February 29, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
  101. BERT ROMERO

NO fat lady: a dead lock at the convention and a dark horse willl be selected–the formere Utah Gov. and lately China's top diplomat eillk be the standard bearer, a-la-Lincoln.

February 29, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
  102. Bob

No fat lady singing, but a good fat man, who is losing weight, Chris Christie, will help the Romney-Christie ticket to victory.

February 29, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  103. Fred Weston

I'm starting to hear the Fat Lady sing and it is not a Religious Right hymn. Go Mitt. Fred Weston, Southern Maine.

February 29, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  104. Peggy Howard

i don't think it is over, Rick Santorum will emerge as the winner.
    Mitt Romney cannot win the nomination by having money. This is not the Constitution.
    George Washington and Abraham Lincoln DID NOT WIN BY HAVING MOST MONEY, THEY WON BY BEING FAIR AND TRUE.The media needs to quit favoring Romney to all the people that are out to lunch and don't know what a Mormon really is.

February 29, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  105. Jim

Yes Jack and hopefully it isn't Hillary Clinton emulating her idol Barack Obama.
    Romney will win the nomination AND the Presidency and we can start to finally pay down this debt and get America back on her feet again.

February 29, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
  106. Tom

I don't know about the "fat lady," but can Gov. Chris Christie sing?

February 29, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
  107. anagram_kid

Jack,
    She is singing, but not everyone in the GOP/TP will like the tune. The big tent party is completely fractured as evidenced by the vast differences in the nominees. They all have two things in common though – they all believe that they are qualified to be president and they are all wrong. In any case Romney will be the nominee.

February 29, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
  108. ljburgher

Mittens has the most expensive shoes on. (Shiny Too). Ron Paul has beat up sneakers on with a suit...lol. Oh well........People wonder why Paul hasnt won a contest.

February 29, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
  109. JC in Utah

The RNC designed this calendar to slow down the process. The fat lady might be singing, but the RNC is going to make it her longest performance ever.

February 29, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
  110. Joe Taylor

Did you forget that half of the states on Super Tuesday are south of the Mason-Dixon line? A Romney win in any one of the would be surprising.

February 29, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
  111. David from Webster, NY

The only fat person who will be singing will be Newt Gingrich when he takes the front runner position next Tuesday and goes on to win the GOP nomination!

February 29, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
  112. Gigi Oregon

I don't know why Republicans can't play nice and just give up...the Republican middle class is getting the picture. Republicans work for big business and the elite. They want to squeeze out public schools, unions, give money to oil companies, cut regulations that keep workers safe and adds profit to big business, buy friends and power to be number one and the list goes on and on. They are doing everything contrary to the Christian commandments and with many denominations blessings. Until Rick Santorum stops acting like a radical Catholic/Baptist he's not going to win (we still have a sour taste in our mouth from the "Religious Right" hateful attacks in the 2000 election). Romney is rich but he did do somethings for the middle class and the poor when he was governor.

February 29, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
  113. Tex71

Mr. Cafferty, you and I disagree about many things, but I believe you are a good man who cares for his fellow Americans of every description. Would that I could say the same about this year's GOP candidates! I find it interesting that "stocks are rising on growing expectations that the president will be re-elected"; does this mean that market forces equate a continued Obama presidency with greater stability and growth than could be expected from a Romney- or a Santorum-led government?

February 29, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
  114. John (jayare) Richard

The GOP is going to implode. I believe there will be no one holding enough delegates a the convention to get a nominee on the first ballot. It's going to be open season for backroom dealing like they used to do 50 years ago.

February 29, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
  115. LBAM

The fat lady is waiting to sing. She is desperate to belch out the sounds of a defeat for the chronically ill of the GOP. She is longing to profoundly harmonize the words that say GOP is Dead. She is in waiting to show how dangerous they have become with sweet lyrics of sorrow.
    How the heck do some people think when they would consider voting for a guy like Mitt Romney? This guy wants to be the President of a nation that HE hides his money from. If that doesn't tell you about the character of a man, then it must speak volumes about him being the highest elected official in the land. Imagine that, a man running for President that hides his money from the government that he wants to head. This is like putting Berney Madoff in charge of the Treasury. Don't you people think for one minute, and find this to be very disturbing? A President hiding his money and wealth from his own government.
    A vote for Sanitorium is a vote against women's health and for an eye in your bedroom. By the way Ginrich and Paul irrelevant, however, they should stay inthe race. For my sake, I need some entertainment from this clown car of four.
    I must say that we live two Americas. Rich and poor. A no name person (like myself ) who want to become a federal Agent has to go through an extensive background check. On the other hand, if I have money and want to become president, I can hide my personal information such as my taxes and personal wealth. This bring me back to the above statment, why would you put a man in office who hides or put his wealth in another county and away from the counrty he wants to be the leader of?

February 29, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  116. Wilhelm von Nord Bach

actually "The Opera's Not Over Until the Fat Lady Sings" is a misnomer. the phrase referes to the long 20+ minute "pulling the cat's tail" soprono aria at the end of Richard Wagner's opera "Gotterdammerung". the actual last line in that opera is when the character of Hagen, the opera's villian, yells "Zuruck vom Ring!" (Away From the Ring!)

that being said, I think Hagen is getting ready to yell. Santorum has proved he's just TOO CRAZY for anything but the ultra-consevative "Religious Right" in even the Republican party.

February 29, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
  117. nothing new here

These people that want a "pastor-in-chief", they make me want to throw up!!
    Granted, I was rooting for Ron Paul, even though I believe his message will live on after the election.
    But enough already :(
    And we know it will be "politics as usual" after this is all over.

February 29, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
  118. NateFromIndiana

Singing fat ladies are an example of snobbish operatic elitism. I'm thinking Ted Nugent revving up a chainsaw as the audio accompaniment for this season's GOP wrap-up.

February 29, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
  119. Mark in Houston

Oh yeah, she's singing Jack....but "Crazy About You " isn't the tune.

February 29, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
  120. Bill Osler

It's hard to see how any of the GOP candidates hope to win, when all they do is attack each other and lob mud at the president. Republicans I know are absolutely sick of it – they want to hear what the candidates will do, not what they think the president is doing! The constant, unfair attacks on Obama aren't working. It just makes these guys look worse to the independent voters. Most of their charges are intended to charge up the bottom feeders in their party – the people who send all the ridiculous emails. I usually vote independent, but some people think I'm a Republican, so I am on the receiving end of a lot of this stuff from people out to 'save us' from that terrible Obama. It is so obvious that this stuff is all coming from one or two sources with lots of money! That would be a great story for CNN to do – where does all this propaganda come from? It's amazing how 'good Christians' are willing to bear false witness in order to elect their candidates.

February 29, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
  121. Michael, from Smiths, Alabama

In the case of Ron Paul, the fat lady is running out of air from all the singing. Another fat lady may be just tuning up for Gingrich...it may take a few more defeats before the fat lady arrives to sing for Santorum. That's an awful lot of fat ladies.

February 29, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
  122. Urbanll

The American Voter will silently vote the Bell Curve president out of office all the while telling the media that the love him.

February 29, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
  123. Ann from Charleston SC

Jack, you seem to be in a hurry to hear the fat lady's aria – you were ready to give Romney the nominationt right after Iowa. I agree it would be merciful to have it over – I don't think I can take much more of the rhetoric coming out of the candidate's mouths.

Have you read CNN's webpage today? There were two pieces this morning about the primary campaign continuing. It would be nice if those two commentators were wrong, but I don't see the fat lady anywhere around.

February 29, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
  124. nothing new here, Louisiana

I forgot to write in where I live, Louisiana.
    And I don't believe that conservative voters will line up for Romney for this state's election, but we shall see.

February 29, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
  125. Kathie

Oh the Fat Lady is singing alright. But it sounds like she sat on the whoopie cushion!

February 29, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  126. tom angelopoulos

Even if she is singing, nobody is listening.

February 29, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  127. moving1

As long as CNN can have an American Idol review session after each events why stop it when they can set thenext argument to keep the clown show going.

February 29, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  128. Greg Rockford, IL

Jack, Why are you in such a hurry to declare a victor in the Republican primary? This is at least the 3rd blog you've ran saying things like Gingrich is toast, Romney has clinched after New Hampshire, yada, yada, yada. Let the primary process run its a course. This a good thing. Voters in States with late primaries actually will make a difference, will have their voice heard. Patience Jack, I know CNN has "breaking news" all the time, and every State's primary is obsessed over by the media pundits, but whatever happened to the idea that maybe we should just have every State hold their primary and the one with the most delegates AT THE END is declared the winner.

February 29, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  129. Chris in Philadelphia

Yes. And for more than one reason. The Republicans can not seem to rally around one candidate and they just keep killing themselves fighting for votes. One of them is actually advocating not getting an education! Seriously? They may be near a winner but that winner is already cut off at the knees. Good luck in the general.

February 29, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  130. Eric (Austin)

I hope that what I hear is the fat lady singing for the GOP ... not just for this primary. In the last three years it's become The Bonfire Of The Stooges on that side of the aisle. I am fervently hoping that America will wake up and recognize the GOP for what it is ... The party of BIG BIZ GREED that cynically coaxes itself into power by pandering to the simpleton segment of our society with fear mongering (SOCIALISM!!!), chest-thumping patriotic fervor (MORE DEFENSE SPENDING!!) and moralistic religious preaching. It's an embarrassing time to be an American. I hope we wake up soon.

February 29, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  131. Larry of Boston

Jack, the Fat Lady is in the unemployment in front of me, and has been there for the last two years every Friday afternoon. She asked me to give the GOP a note - HELP!

February 29, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  132. Rebecca from Georgia

Oh Yeah! And she's singing her final high note.

February 29, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  133. Anne

She hasn't sung yet. I wish she would so we could end particular race and just get on with the general election. I'd feel differently with a different group of candidates.

February 29, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  134. Jim, Dallas Tx

The winner has already been declared in the GOP primary season.

Its Barack Obama.

Each one of the GOP nominees have "lurched" so far to the right, they have marginalized themselves in one way or another to the general populace.

February 29, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  135. Jim Campbell, St. Paul, MN

Mitt Romney will be the nominee, and that is not at issue. What matters to the GOP is how he will do against Pres. Obama. My view is that his win in Michigan last night will be his last in that state. Pres. Obama will crush him there.

February 29, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  136. Nancy, Tennessee

As they told the results from the primaries last night, I shook my head and walked away. The singing was so loud my ears couldn't stand it. The fat lady had broken into a full chorus of "We are the Champions". I think Queen was doing the backup.

February 29, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  137. chatham

"Romney won the Catholic vote." This is unsurprising, as I am Catholic and my kids attend Catholic school. I volunteer at school a lot. Every other parent I volunteer with is embarrassed that Santorum is a Catholic. Most of the moms I spoke to assert that they are on birth control and planned their families using said birth control. All save one parent asserted that they would not vote for Santorum BECAUSE of his radical religious interpretation and his insistence on ignoring the line between church and state. He does not speak for all Catholics! He's an outlier and a bit of a freak. NO. NO. NO.

February 29, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  138. TPF

We already have a winner ROMNEY-Santorum is a Washington insider that was already part of the problem, just look at his record.

February 29, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  139. Greg, San Francisco

Yes and she's singing "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" for Obama. just like she did in 2008.

February 29, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  140. Patchw3rk

I think it depends how Romney does on Tuesday, esp in the southern and western states. If he is able to hold his own there then I will say the fat lady has sung... I still think he will win the nomination, I just think it is a bit premature to say that he has this thing wrapped up.

February 29, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  141. Tyler - Louisiana

The only reason Romney was so 'close' in michigan is because most dems voted Santorum. Romney is the only GOP candidate who can beat Obama, and he will. The race has been over since Gingrich fell off the map....the other candidates should just drop out.

February 29, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  142. Not_Lqqking

I think Romney is inevitable, but I also think these 4 will slough it out to the convention. Hopefully they will spend a ton doing so as well.

February 29, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  143. Ed from Texas

Not until the billionaires quit trying to buy themselves a President.

February 29, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  144. Danny Los Angeles ca.

Thank god I think this is almost over so we can get back into the business of putting this country back in order.but wait we still have the next phase where Obama gives the republican candidate some serious schooling.these tools have no chance against this first class statesman.when will they learn that the days of trickle down is over we need to now look forward to a partnership with corporations and the people to drive this economy forward.corporate dominance needs to boost American consumer bases by hiring at wages where workers can again become consumers supporting healthcare and secure our safety nets.corporate survival depends on a growing consumer base.

February 29, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  145. Nick-o

Romney may be the winner, but the loser will be the American people should he beat Obama in the general election

February 29, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  146. GrogInOhio

Can you hear the fat lady singing yet in the GOP race? She's rolling on the floor laughing. Sorry... Rmoney has had this wrapped up for a long time. Money talks. The president has only to not fall on his face to be re-elected.

Mike – Columbus, OH

February 29, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  147. MC in TX

She's pretty hoarse but she is singing. Realistically, barring some big news story breaking out in the next week or so, none of the other candidates are going to be able to gain enough momentum to overtake Romney in the end. This is not to say that national polls couldn't continue to flip-flop but it will not change the result. The real issue, though, is that Romney probably cannot get a majority unless Gingrich or Santorum drop out soon and back him. Whether the party bosses will ultimately let Romney take it or something else will be worked out remains to be seen. Doubtful that they would do it, though.

February 29, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  148. The Left Wing in WV

I hope the fat lady takes her time. The longer this goes on, the better the American people will understand how inept the GOP field is and that includes Romney. The Republican base of Tea Party and Evangelical voters really wants to find someone other than Romney, but they keep supporting people who aren't even close to presidential. The desire of the base for an anti-Romney will keep it going for a while yet, but in the end the incompetence of the base will doom their efforts.

February 29, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  149. bud rupert

Not the Fat Lady Jack. It's President Obama singing – How lucky can I be, no competition as far as I can see. 4 more years in the white House for me....... Guess we better not get too cocky though huh? LOL

February 29, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  150. Mark from New Jersey

I heard the fat lady, but it was only Newt Gingrich in drag.

February 29, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  151. Ronald from SC

Again, we learned nothing new. These guys are just a bunch of wealthy egomaniacs playing at politics. To convince us of their worthiness they are using God, religion, lies (as usual), racism, and hatred. The list of people the GOP/Tea Party has offended is growing and so far includes, Hispanics, African Americans, seniors, the poor, the middle class, people who want an education, people who want social security, people who want medicare, the compassionate, people with humanity, people who don't believe that human beings are a commodity that can be discarded when no longer useful and on and on. What a sad group of people.

February 29, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  152. SAI

She is just warming up, gargling to clean her throat! The reality is that the 'not-Romney' conservative votes are still the majority, splitting between Santorum and Gingrich. If/when Gingrich pulls out, most of them (idea)logically should be favoring Santorum, pushing him well ahead of Romney in delegate counts. Romeny has not won over any of these folks, and never will.

February 29, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  153. sbssue1

Like you said, GOP wants someone with strong moral character. Santorum is hiding behind the Catholic Faith trying to tell the world women shouldn't have rights and calling on the Dems to vote against Romney; what the heck would this kind of person do if he were in the White House? Scary thought, isn't it????

February 29, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  154. Patrick in Monroe, NC

The fat lady started her warm-up when the GOP started their "Flavor of the Week" reality show that is still going on long after the series should have been cancelled. She is currently preparing her big finale entitled, "In It to Mitt It!"

Romney has the nomination, but Obama will get the re-election.

February 29, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  155. eric

Heather S. you need to educate yourself on the delegate process and not just take the mass medias "projections" of delegates as fact. Every "projection" on each different news outlet is different, and none of them contain the secret delegates that matter just as much as the "projected" ones. Ron Paul is neck and neck with Mitt in delegates.

February 29, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  156. Gail, Plano TX.

Not yet, Jack. And I hope she keeps on singing! I love her voice. It serves to show the American people just how dastardly and stupid tfe GOP is!

February 29, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  157. Joyce Wolfe

As a Canadian I cannot believe the convoluted path taken in American politics to choose a leader. The Republicans are my kind of folks on economics but they must choose a moderate modern leader and quit shooting themselves in the foot with their outdated social stances.

February 29, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
  158. pat in michigan

yeah ,and she's singing " nobody knows the trouble we'll see".

February 29, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  159. Mike

It's not "keep it simple stupid", for the GOP it's "keep it stupid, stupid."

February 29, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  160. Linda in Arizona

Ah, the old, sexist "fat lady" bromide. SO original. Let's just hope this mess ends soon. I can't wait for Santorum to go away.

February 29, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  161. gerald

Romney should have won Michigan, his home state. He barely did and Arizona is half mormon. He was bound to win there. It's not over yet.

February 29, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  162. gerald

I might add that I think it likely that Gingrich will drop out soon. This will tip the scales in favor of Santorum.

February 29, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  163. Joe - New York, New York

I didn't know Newt could sing.

February 29, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
  164. Jim in San Mateo, California

If the Republicans can figure out who to vote for and the Stock Market is already staking it's bet on Obama, then I would guess that the fat lady is breaking out the Blues. After all, the Republican really don't have a candidate, or at least have one they can all get behind.

February 29, 2012 at 4:41 pm |