How confident are you in the state of the union?
FILE PHOTO: President Barack Obama is pictured delivering his 2011 State of the Union address.
January 23rd, 2012

How confident are you in the state of the union?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

It used to matter.

The president's State of the Union address used to be a sort of snapshot of where the country stood: How the economy was doing, what was working, and what wasn't.

Now it's just a political speech - a nicely bundled batch of b.s. designed to make the American people feel good about whichever party is peddling it.

And in an election year it will be even worse than usual.

Nevertheless it's an exercise the president has to go through once a year and tomorrow night is the night.

With a captive audience of a joint session of Congress and a national television audience of millions, President Obama will tell us all what a wonderful job he's doing and how great everything is in the country.

He probably won't mention that the country is broke.

He probably won't talk much about the long national nightmare that is the war in Afghanistan.

He's not likely to address the fact that gas prices have doubled since he took office.

He probably won't draw much attention to the fact that the housing crisis still isn't anywhere near being over.

He likely won't mention that the overall standard of living for Americans is in decline.

And I'll bet he won't dwell on the fact that millions and millions of Americans still can't find a job.

Instead he'll likely try to portray whatever problems he addresses as Congress' fault, while at the same time promising that he's going to do much better in the coming year.

The fact of the matter is the state of our union isn't very good.

Here’s my question to you: How confident are you in the state of the union?

Tune in to the Situation Room at 5pm to see if Jack reads your answer on air.

And, we love to know where you’re writing from, so please include your city and state with your comment.

Posted by
Filed under: Government • United States
  1. Thomas Archibald

Not at all as long as King Obama, Queen Michelle and 33 unelected Czars are around!

January 23, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
  2. JD in NH

The only thing that really bothers me is how divided we have become. I'm beginning to wish we could split the union into two separate countries. I would live on the side that cares about average people over corporations.

January 23, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  3. Karl in Flint

I have great confidence in our President. The GOP, not so much. I wonder who has been assigned to holler "YOU LIE" this year? Maybe Boehner will do it himself.

January 23, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  4. Annie, Atlanta

Overall, pretty confident that our political process is nearly 100% owned by the monied interests who own our politicians and actually write the laws that benefit themselves. This has caused the transfer of wealth upward to those who don't need it, funded by those who do. Not very confident that "we the people" can turn that around, since we actually just sat back and let it happen.

January 23, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  5. Jenna Roseville CA

How confident are you in the state of the union?

I think that president Obama tells it like it is, the good/bad/ugly. But even with all of the obstruction from the GOP since the last State of Union much has happened for the better in America. Many will be pleasantly suprized and it will leave the GOP running for cover.

Obama 2012

Jenna
    Roseville CA

January 23, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  6. Jk from Minnesota

Is there really any union in America, Jack? I do know the state of Washington DC is terrible.

January 23, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  7. David R Bebeau,Springfield Missouri

Jack,None at all.All things for all parties are 100% based on re-election.All this dog and pony show has not had
    anything to do with our people and their lives.Why should they worry all the money is free and they have spent it ALL
    every dime of it.Confident you ask Jack, Ha!!!.............If these bafoons pay back the 2 Trillion they stole from the childrens future and pay down the debt and tell the truth.................THEN I WILL HAVE CONFIDENCE at this moment
    I have none.
    David

January 23, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
  8. Jim, Denver CO

Jack,
    Time will tell. I'm more interested in seeing what is said and if there is some hope that both parties will wake up and start doing their jobs of governing instead of cat fighting like two teenaged girls.

January 23, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
  9. Mel - Houston

It's not the state of the uniion that I'm worried about it's the clueless idiots running it. They're like a blind person in a round room trying to find his way out.

January 23, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
  10. Dave Laguna Niguel, CA

Jack,

All you have to do is look at the history of what he has said and what he has done. The is very little correlation between the two. So the answer to you question is: not very confident.

January 23, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
  11. Peg from NY

Well, let me put it this way; I am more confident with Obama's State Of The Union than I will ever be with "Eye Of A Newt" State Of The Union.

January 23, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
  12. Doug Ericson

16 trillion dollars of National debt for two loser wars, and a Wall Street gang that can't shoot straight. No viable way to pay it off. No legislation to stop Banks from buying and trading the peoples private home mortgages. One swimsuit model Corporations that depend on foreign labor to make a profit. ( Apple Computer for example ). 50 thousand Mexicans slaughtered gangland style mostly along our Southern Border, and a likely 2 term President that acts like he doesn't even know about it. A citizenship that has been brainwashed into a squirell level mentality. Nuclear Power Plants leaking radiation all over the country. ( Just check the Nuclear Agencies own status reports). And so on. We need to start over. Doug. Pepperell, MA.

January 23, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
  13. Bizz, Quarryville Pennsylvania

I think the state of the union is in bad shape. I blame a lot of this on Congress, especially the tea party members in the house led by Eric Cantor,for not cooperating in any way shape or form to work together. I feel as though we are becoming a nation of rich and poor. The record shows that the wealthy has increased their wealth many times while the working class has been decreasing at an alarming rate. I'm afraid with some of the choices we have running for president that we could easily end up in another major war and will be back where we were when George W invaded Iraq.

January 23, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  14. Gary H. Boyd

It's a house of cards Jack. The roof's leaking, the studs are warped, the floors are settling and the basement's full of water. The occupants haven't a clue and the owner doesn't either. The state of the union is a sad state indeed.

Gary H. Boyd in Scottsdale, Arizona

January 23, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  15. bob z. from pa.

another bunch of promises never kept/ this ma lies so much his kids don't believe him

January 23, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
  16. Ed from California

Not very confident at all. Mr. Boehner!! Where are the jobs??

January 23, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
  17. Ken from Pinon Hills, California

We can't be confident in the State of our Union with the existing division between us affecting domestic and foreign policy. Our Nation is split between Blue States, and Red States, and that doesn't come close to being a perfect Union. Our squabbling Congress of party first, is a result of those refusing to move forward in the 21 century, longing for decades past. One wonders where those are coming from, calling us, "The greatest country on earth"?
    We don't like each other's race, religion, culture, gender, language, wealth, and so on, and that ain't so great for the state of our union.

January 23, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  18. Dave - Phx

We no longer have a union. We have a group of divided states. A house divided cannot stand. Our union is a joke, besides don't use that word, some people with silver spoons in their mouth. might get upset at working people again.

January 23, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
  19. Simon/Orlando

I'm confident that under Obama we are moving to second class country status and that we will soon be overwelmed by his spending habits. The United States will become like the movie sequel-"Greece 2"

January 23, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
  20. Hub-Barton MS 38611

I am very confident Jack

January 23, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
  21. Terry

From Michigan: Well Jack, Confident? Sure or Certain is what I think most Americans would ideally like to feel. Unfortunately no matter how well President Obama presents himself towards lifting us out of this horrific economic situation, the media and all the impudents will have a field day dismissing any thing good about it.

January 23, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
  22. Bill of New Mexico

Pessimistic!

People that voters send to DC to handle America's problems behave like the Keystone Cops.

–especially in handling the debt and the budget.

As long as America's debt is high–America's pant's are down.

As long as America's budget is unbalanced–America is stumbling.

What happens if America is hit with another expensive problem?

January 23, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
  23. Phyllis G. Williams

How confident are you in the state of the union?

Confident that it will be good, and if they are honest,will make"even his enemies
    to be at peace with him" (Proverbs 16: 7)

January 23, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
  24. Noel Sivertson New Mexico

I'm pretty confident. I see Obama's policies starting to bear some fruit. The mood of most people I know seems more positive. IAnd the more I see Republicnas shooting themselves in the foot the more optimistic I become.

January 23, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
  25. Bryan

I cannot wait for the spin thats gonna be put on this, but I here let me give my prediction... Blah Blah do nothing congress...Blah Blah Im the best...Blah Blah Blah Im gonna create jobs by creating a very unpredictable buisness enviorment with new complicated taxes and regulations while wasting your money on investing in sectors of the economy that may or may not survive... all while telling you that I feel your pain and am sympathetic to your plight in life as I play my 500th round of golf and take my entire family on a 3 million dollar vacation to Bali so I can have some peace and quiet to think up my next lie... yea thanks but no thanks

January 23, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
  26. Chris

The State of the Union has lost its meaning. The idea is to have the President tell the American people about the state of affairs. It has become nothing more than a political speech. Candy Crowley does a far better job telling people about developments than Barack Obama ever could.....

January 23, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
  27. Loren

I am confident that I know its state and that it's not good. Am I confident that it will get better? Only if we can get some uncommon sense in Washington (I say uncommon, because everyone in Washington claims to have common sense solutions, yet they've only made the problems worse, so the solutions obviously must be uncommon). Until there is a real resolve in government, not just Federal, but State and local as well, to reexamine every aspect of government services, necessity and manner of delivery, we will keep going down the same path and nothing will improve. Time to decide whether government needs to handing out so much money.

January 23, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
  28. David of Alexandria VA

The economy will recover, with or without any more government help. But, the major concern I have with the state of the union is that we seem to have let our federal government evolve to a size and nature which makes it almost ungovernable It was great until we ran out of money (maybe like a lot of marriages) – – but now that we have to make tough choices, we vapor-lock. Maybe it's time to send a lot of stuff back to the 50 union members where accountability for results is more an expectation.

January 23, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  29. Brad, Portland, OR

The fact that the Republicans in Congress will throw the country to the wolves rather than let Obama claim any success has me worried.

All the Republicans want is to make Obama a one-term President.

That, and eliminate taxes for rich people and corporations.

The Republican refusal to compromise, on insisting that everything be done their way, can really hurt the country.

January 23, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  30. Paul From Austin Texas

Not much does anything really matter any more?

January 23, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
  31. Kim , Dodge City, Ks

Confidence in the state of the union? There is no union any longer. Our elected officials decided a very long time ago that we, as independent citizens, should never again be allowed to have a direct say in our own destiny, or to be able to stop them from stealing our country from us. Corporate statisim is the new reality, and has been for for a very long time.

January 23, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
  32. Andre R. Newcomb

Not at all. Until y'all remember that the 4th of July came about as the result of 'law-breakers' and THEN remember that your policy regarding felons is a supremely pathetic hypocrisy . . . then I'm going to know who make the laws to channel treasure into private vaults. YOU ALL LIE!

January 23, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
  33. tom bulger, Canandaigua, NY

Very. The World Health Organization famously identified health determinants as a "range of personal, social, economic and environmental factors."
    The First Lady has us taking responsibility for getting our butts moving. The public sounds determined to rid Congress of obstructionists. The economy is improving. The EPA is addressing the problem of dirty energy and the increase of autism, cancers, Multiple Sclerosis and other resultant diseases. America is back, baby.

January 23, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
  34. MARK, OKLAHOMA CITY

I would be a lot MORE confident in the state of the union if Mr. Obama would announce he is resigning the presidency tomorrow night....effective immediately.

January 23, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
  35. Peter, Tarrytown, N.Y.

I am very confident in the "State of The Union" . I have no confidence in the leadership of either party. With them it's all about power. Our needs don't factor in their goals.

January 23, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
  36. Tom in Desoto, Tx

Does it really matter who gives a speech and what's said? Actions speak louder than words. If I have to choose between the President and the Republican Candiates I'll choose Obama any day. Most, if not all Republican candidates, endorsed Bush's policies. Yes, I remember beyond 3 years ago. Bush drove the econony roof deep into mud nearing depression and they expect Obama to cure all in a short time. All the while Republicans go against him 100% of the time. That just proves they like Bush's policies which the country will pay for for decades if not centuries.

January 23, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
  37. Pete from Georgia

State of the Union ?
    Please.
    Talk about the Mother of all charades. This up-coming State of the Union address will be a display of the ONLY thing Obama does well.......................deception with the ease and smoothness of the ultimate expert, to an audience of gullible sheep who can't wait to be duped........................with a reassuring smile.
    Beyond pathetic.

January 23, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
  38. Lou, Fayetteville, NC

It is a speech! I have been around since President Eisenhower. I have listened via radio and watched via television and all it is IS A SPEECH someone somewhere wrote and it is full of happy days of here again and never changes.

January 23, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
  39. james in greenville nc

Jack, I am not confident at all. The media tells us that things are getting better but just about every house in my block has been for sale for several years. And the only person I know who has a job is the postman and I hear things are not even going well for the Post Office. The President's reelection team is trying to convince us that things are great with the state of the union. In my case they will need to spend more than that billion they have for the campaign. I don't know that two billion would convince me. I need to see some improvement rather than read about it.

January 23, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  40. Steve, NY

The secret of Gingrich's success is due to the stupidity of the voters. Instead of voting for someone that is succesful in life, clean background, solid family life, charismatic that can represent this country's image, they vote for a man with lots of baggage, marital infidelity, dishonest, or being an old phart. You have 20% of the voters voted for Rand, Cain and now 40% for Gingrich. These guys can't beat Obama, they are the worst of the bunchas far as electibilty goes. The only candidate the Obama people are afraid of is Romney. You can't tell this to stupid people. Their biggest problem is that Romney has too much money and pays only 15% taxes. Well he did it legally. If he is successful with his personal success then maybe he knows how to to it for his country. People today are not smart, not logical, and stuborn. If they vote for an unethical candidate like Gingrich then they must have something in commom with him. That's why we elect the wrong people to our highest office of the land due to the majority of stupid and not logical voters. Nobody will be be able to convince them of that, unless you Jack will take the responsibilty to straighten them out. Good luck on your new assignment.

January 23, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
  41. Pat in Michigan

The only confidence I have is that we are done for if we re-elect anyone of the people who are now in Washington. turn everything on it's head and let's see how that goes.

January 23, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
  42. calaurore9

Very little confidence in the state of our union, even less in the European Union. Global volatility in this year of the dragon will make SOTU even worse.

Carol in Northampton, Ma

January 23, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
  43. Conor, Chicago

When you have a waive of "Tea Party Republicans" who took office in 2010 doing nothing except enacting laws against Sharia Law, turning back abortion rights 100 years, destroying unions, and openly enacting voter restriction laws that clearly only apply to peole who vote Democrat and have nothing to do with the "sanctity of the vote", I have absolutley no confidence in the state of our union. When you have a political movement who's sole concern is make sure Obama is a one term president all because they're afraid that if he succeeds their movement suffers, I have no confidence in our union. When you have a region of the country (the South) who gets more Federal Tax per dollars put in than the rest of country and rails against paying taxes, I have no faith in this union. None.

January 23, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
  44. Mr D

I'm more confident of a "continued state of confusion" for the union. Unless there is a major overhaul in many areas of the country's affairs, I see a long bleak road ahead. It goes way beyond whom ever is elected president this year.

January 23, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
  45. rex in portland, oregon

President Obama will not talk about the true 'state of the union' – that is to say he will not address the 'incoming tide of the tea party' (Rand Paul).

President Obama will talk about his few successes in getting any results favorable to this country out of the tea party congrefs.

Rather than warn the nation of the impending disaster which will be brought about by 'conservative' economics (trickle-down, as promulgated by Gingrich and every single republican in congrefs), he will condescend to reaganism and promote further 'cooperation' with the doom of this insidious, class-destroying voodoo.

Rather than shout from the bully pulpit the dangers of ignoring the environment and health control he will further condemn our planet for the sake of the top 1% and their demands of profits over life.

Rather than honestly state our financial problems and offer logical solutions he will further contaminate his legacy with supposed bi-partisan trash talk designed to benefit only large corporations and their billionaire masters.

Rather than openly discuss the class struggle being exacerbated by lack of control of economics he will suggest further relinquishment of governmental controls – in a bi-partisan manner, of course.

Rather than booming condemnation of politcal control by rich super-PACs he will cowtow to the Kochs and Soros's of the world by suggesting a bi-partisan compomise which will further destroy politics.

This 'state of the union' address will be worse than GWB's last one, which was a super-farce. I await it with abated breath.

January 23, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  46. Michael Bindner, Alexandria, VA

Let me watch it first and I'll give you or Carol Costello my reaction.

January 23, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  47. CRAIG R. MCNEES

Tampa, Fl I feel the Mayans had it right, 2012 will be the end. We have a President that does whatever he damn well pleases and a Congress that is so busy taking bribes and trying to get re-elected, that they refuse to reign lord obama in. Illegals can't seem to get deported and our borders continue to be wide open to corruption and drugs. Businesses keep folding or going overseas, homes keep getting repo'd, more people begging in our streets all across the country. We taxpayers deserve better, shame so many stayed home and didn't vote.

January 23, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  48. Ed Reed

Not very, since Republican politicians have become obstructionists, mking the political calculation that if the economy is bad, people will vote for hem in November. As Speaker Boehner admitted after the Bush Administration, they have sacrificed principle for power,

January 23, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  49. lou

If I were Obama I would bring up the decline of the middle class. In fact, I would make it a cornerstone of the speech complete with charts and graphs, showing when the trouble started and how fast it's gone down hill. People need to wake up. If we continue the policies from the last 12 years, coddling corporations with tax cuts, loopholes, and incentives while gutting unions that protect minimum wage, health care, and pensions for the middle class, it's not going to get any better.

January 23, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  50. bud rupert

With big oil, health care, wall street and the corporate elite calling the shots very confident. Confident that the republic has been sold for big money just like Alexander Hamilton said it would

January 23, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
  51. James

My confidence in the state of the union is worsening by the moment as I read previews of the president's speech. With all the references to "a fair shake for all" and the rich "not paying their fair share of taxes" this country will remain divided and the loudest cheerleader of this will be our president (who supposedly serves All Americans, rich and poor). I have lost all of my remaining respect for this president ever since his Warren Buffett stunt (pretenting that Mr. Buffett is a fair representation of what tax rate millionares pay when he knows that Mr Buffett pays top dollar to have his income "carried" and, effectively, shielded from the real tax rate). Of course, I'm sure it would be very inappropriate of us to ask why President Obama took itemized deductions on his hefty income instead of paying his "fair shair" and taking the standard deduction. I would suggest that the president, and more importantly, his Chicago gang read a few Ayn Rand books to help them discover the consequences of government being the determinant of "fair share"

James
    Clearwater, FL

January 23, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
  52. lou.nj

Hey Jack.....You sound like Joe Wilson the you lie guy.Are you scare to say anything positive about the President on your blog?Do you think any of your Repubican friends could have did a better job than this President;name one, anyone?

January 23, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
  53. Michael Bindner, Alexandria, VA

Do you mean the speech or the actual state of the union? Let me watch the speech first and I'll tell you. I would be more confident in the actual state of the union if Obama sold goverment owned housing debt, both Freddie/Fannie and the FHA/VA/State Housing Authority Loans, to the Federal Reserve so that they can write down the bonds and direct servicers to readjust the payments. That simple step will turn what is a prolonged Depression into a strong recovery and Morning in America.

January 23, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
  54. Larry

Even with a disfunctional Congress...a Congress that places the special interests and big money doners ahead of our nation...I am confident about the State of the Union under President Obama.

January 23, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
  55. Vinny in Connecticut

Not confident at all, Jack, with Obama in the White House. His 'speech' tomorrow night will be nothing more than a rehashed campaign speech. The only 'union' Obama wants to improve is the labor unions because his re election depends on them. The 'state of the Union' will not improve until after Jan. 20, 2013 when Obama leaves the White House and goes down in history as the absolute worst President our Nation has ever seen. (Jimmy Carter will be happy!)

January 23, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
  56. TomInRochNY

Jack, I think you've become ever so slightly jaded. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I think the president will mention those things for they are still there and still important. I for one think things are getting ever so slowly better. The biggest thing I want to see (or actually not see) during the State of the Union is another "You Lie!' outburst. If those we elect to run this country can't be civil with one another, then no one can possibly have confidence in our union.

Tom, Rochester, NY

January 23, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
  57. pierre glenn

When lk State of Union,Jack i see biggest Hippocrites,liars tht ever put there hand own bibles.And biggest liars say this is what American People want. pierre glenn from columbia,mo

January 23, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
  58. Frank from Connellsville, PA

I’m confident in our state of the union that if all the manure coming from both sides was – well, manure we would have all the fertile farmland needed to feed the world, enough methane to run every engine that we could start, and politicians would have finally produced something of real value for the people.

January 23, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  59. J. Davis, Knoxville, TN

I feel more confident each day and think that President Obama has done a great job (especially in foreign affairs). The main problem in this country is the do-nothing Republicans who only care about the rich. Their field of candidates for 2012 is lacking in any substance so I'm hoping President Obama will win re-election. Hey, America, you don't want another Bush-like administration do you??

January 23, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  60. John Blythe

Unfortunately Jack, I won't be voting in the 2012 election, because they're all self-centered idiots. I have agree with your analysis. The State of the Union speech tomorrow will be nothing but the same crap spewed before. Obama will probably not talk about how the stimulus bill as failed, or how the recent NDAA bill is another example of unjust sanctions on Americans civil liberties, or the fact that there are still tens of millions of Americans unemployed, or the illegal war on Libya or the fact that our country continues to pile on more debt onto our already existing $15 trillion debt. As usual, nothing changes, so what's the point of even listening to the speech tomorrow night? – John, Los Angeles

January 23, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  61. Steve, Clifton, Virginia

Honestly Jack, I am just a tad bit more confident in tomorrows State Of the Union (SOTU) address than I was in the multiple SOTU speeches given by President Bush who had the nerve to tell us in January of 2008 that we were not in a recession when in fact we were in the worst recession since the great depression.

January 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
  62. Al in Delaware

Not much. The Bill of Rights has been tossed away and we are rapidly becoming a police state. The President can now declare anyone a terrorist and toss them into prison without trial or charge. The sad fact is that Congress passed this obscenity without much debate or media attention.

January 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
  63. Ann from Charleston SC

Well, I'm a lot more confident than you are, Jack, that is for sure. I tend to be an optimistic person and think that things will work out the way they are supposed to work out. I think our economy is growing – just not as fast as people think it should – because Obama took the necessary steps to stop the bleeding. The biggest problem I see is the impotence of Congress.

January 23, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
  64. Paul - North Carolina

No, the state of our union is not very good. But it's a whole lot better than it was three years ago; and I'm confident it will continue to improve. The last time I felt reaaly good about the state of the union Clinton was still in office. A tremendous amount of damage was done to the union between 2001 and 2009 and the job of restoring it has been hampered by the tea party and the Republican objective of making Obama a one term president no matter what the cost As soon as voters come to their senses and oust the right wing radicals the state of our union will be just fine.

January 23, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
  65. Bubba

You're kidding right? Confidence in the State of the Union? I had confidence when Kennedy was president, or Lyndon Johnson, and of course Reagan. But when Jimmy Carter was president, I cringed, as I do now, because both of these men had lots of words about what other folks should do, and of course the mantra "It's not my fault"; much more eloquently of course.

January 23, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
  66. Kirk (Apple Valley, MN)

Sounds like you don't like the man any more Jack. I remember back when Obama and Clinton were campaigning that Obama was your favorite and you bashed Hillary whenever you could. Now you sound like sour milk whenever you ask any question pertaining to Obama.

January 23, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  67. Larry Cruikshank Las Vegas, NV.

You are joking right Jack? The GO1P (Government of the One Percent) has made a promise to oppose anything the President wants to do. Some will applaud statements like "God Bless our Troops," but mostly they will sit on their hands and smirk, knowing it's all about the election. Sad for the American people. We are not that special. Can you say Revolt?

January 23, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  68. Robby Barbarian

Very confident Jack! Before Obama we were losing 750000 jobs a month and with Obama 23 straight months of growth. There not an economist out there that will say we're going in the wrong direction Jack.

January 23, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
  69. MissusPowell

Jack, I think President Obama is doing EXACTLY what needs to be done because he does not run the country alone.
    Congress IS AT FAULT for MUCH that they would not pass because they do not want Obama to succeed. He IS succeeding, tho, in that MUCH IS BETTER THAN IT COULD BE WITHOUT THE WORK HE HAS BEEN ABLE TO DO!
    The Country would be in alot worse shape if left up to the GOP as seen by their refusal to do what is best FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. Yes, I am CONFIDENT in President Obama, CONFIDENT that the American People will re-elect President Obama and will give him a CONGRESS that will support him. Boehner and his cronies have been trying for 3 years to tell US "The American People want..." and The American People have shown them by their low rating of Congress that they do not have a clue what The American People want. NOW they are running a CIRCUS of CONTENDERS for The Republican Nomination for PRESIDENT of THE UNITED STATES of AMERICA!! WE WILL REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER the harm that has been done by their NOT doing the work FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!! And BY THE PEOPLE Barack Obama will be re-elected in Nov. 2012. Maybe you should listen carefully, too. I am one of many who lives "from sea to shining sea".

January 23, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
  70. Dave, Orlando, FL

There is no state of the union message and there hasn’t been one in years. You must be thinking of the story regarding the current president’s pipe dream about which he will use his time to tell us.

January 23, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
  71. Jeff In Minnesota

It's time for the President to either lead from the front or get off the stage. It is time to articulate a vision of the country and explain the things the government needs to do to facilitate that vision.

January 23, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
  72. dave in nashville

The state of the union speech is one dumb tradition and a waste of resources. Just become bipartisan and work for the entire population instead of yourselves.

January 23, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
  73. andy Lynn, MA

Once we vote several obstructionist (whoops, I meant Republicans) out of office, we should be OK.

January 23, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  74. Raymon Horsley

I am not confident at all. Even though I generally approve of the direction the President would like to take the country, nothing will ever progress as long as special interests run the country and can control the congress. We need to limit the terms for the congress and the senate to one, then our representatives could spend all their time working on the problems that face us in stead of raising funds for the next election.

January 23, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  75. Bernie of Lowell.

As confident as I am that we can retrieve our economy from foreign slave labor markets. As confident as I am that we will not face a massive embargo of Chinese-made goods..

Our country is a lost cause when our corporations place profit above patriotism and job creation here.

January 23, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  76. Duane Spencer

Jack, The State of the Union, is at the mercy of a Congress and Senate, as well The President, whom will not compromise, finger point, only interested in getting power, getting reelected, using access to business information to get richer. After all 75 of 100 Senators are millionaires, Mitt Romney is very rich, I believe he just wants to be President so can get power he cannot have from all his wealth

January 23, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  77. Julie from Louisiana

As usual he will blame everyone but himself and his advisors for the state of the country. I'm sure we will hear about the rich (even though he is one of them) and how they stand in the way of everyone becoming rich. He will talk about how everyone should be equal. Countries have tried that and it doesn't work. He may not mention the health care debacle since it has lost its popularity, if it ever truly had any. He will definitely say he needs another 4 years to make it right. We can't afford another 4 years of his experimentation with our lives. We good thing, we won't have to watch Nancy jump up and down behind him.

January 23, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  78. Dale, Illinois

Jack,

The answer is guts. Newt is giving the voters what they have been longing for: a candidate who isn't afraid of the real issues, with common sense (which isn't so common these days) and who doesn't mince words with PCness. That's what will defeat Obama.
    Think about this: why are the critics locked onto the distant past for non-issues, like what his second wife said. Is that really going to make a difference to the direction the country is headed in? Hell no.

January 23, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  79. David in Tampa

A humorous line from when I was in the military in the late 60's went like this, If it wasn't for Major Malfunction and General Screw Up this place wouldn't be half bad. But since they control Congress and won't listen to anybody but the talking heads, yes men, toadies and the highest bidders, this place will continue its chaotic course until January, 2013 at which time things will get worse when the new Major and General get sworn in.

January 23, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  80. AzRose

It will be a political speech. I can almost guess what he will say. Raise taxes on the rich, if the taxes are not raised blame congress. If congress won't act, he will do what he has to do himself. He will talk about more spending, infrastructure to help with jobs etc, etc. I personally have no confidence in what he will say, he made promises in his last SOTU that he still has not delivered on but again, he will blame Congress. He forgets that we sent Republicans to the House in 2010 to stop his spending and his absurd laws. It is hard to believe what any politician says anymore, I would rather watch what they do than listen to the promises they make.

January 23, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  81. diridi

I am very confident, this president takes this nation to the right direction. Republicans messed this nation, needless wars, trickle down mess. This nation needs some time. We need to Re-Train and bring back Manufacturing. Mitt is for Evil. Newt is for Loot. None of the GOP idiots are worthy to mention. Entire America knows, world knows. Today America is again respected in the world, because of president foreign policy. Israel bought us, but this can not and will not go far...

January 23, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  82. deborah ballweg Seibert, co

The state of the union will improve as soon as Obama leaves.

January 23, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  83. Sandstone.

"Then why don't you suggest changing the title to 'State of the Divisions, and have both sides of the House sit in?"

January 23, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  84. Jeffery, Toledo, Ohio

A lot more confident than I was at this time four years ago. We seem to forget that it wasn't Obama and the Democrats who got this country into the mess that it's in but rather the Republicans, and their rich, greedy and reckless supporters in the corporate world, and on Wall St. It took eight years or so of their behavior to get us into these problems. Why do people continue to insist on blaming Obama & Co. because we're still not quite out of it after just three years?

January 23, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  85. DON IN WESTPORT, MASS.

I'm about as confident as bungee jumping off the Washington monument using a rubber band.
    Obama did prove that a black man could become President even though he failed to show us the stuff that would have made him a good President. He will go down in history as being just another President who made it through his term without doing anything notable and finally settling down to his cushy lifestyle without a care in the world.

January 23, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  86. Bob D. Morristown NJ

The state of the union isn't great but its a hell of a lot better than it was 3 years ago. We've gone from losing 750,000 jobs a month to adding 100,000 to 200,000 jobs per month, not great, but much better. The US auto industry and 3 million associated jobs has been saved, and GM is once more the largest auto manufacturer in the world. Corporations are hugely profitable again and sitting on over $2trillion in cash. The economy draining ill conceived military adventure in Iraq has ended, and all of those troops have been brought home. Bin Ladin and al-Awlaki are dead, and al Qaeda is severly diminished from where it was then. The much maligned healthcare reform is eliminating pre-existing condition exclusion abuses and will reduce the rate of growth of healthcare expense while providing some level of insurance coverage for the 50 million who are currently uninsured.

January 23, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  87. John from Alabama

Jack: Your assumptions on the state of the union are wrong. I believe the state of our union is getting better. Yes, we have along way to go before our nation has an unemployment rate of under 6%, but slowly an surely our economy is recovering. I believe Mr. Obama is doing a great job under defficult times. Congress is not helping to do anything. The Tea Party wing of the Republican Party does not know how to govern, and I hope they fail to be re-elected for another 2 years. I think, the Speaker of the House, is a coward and a cry baby which can not lead the House.

January 23, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
  88. Larry in Houston

yep, it Used to Matter – but doesn't now – "nicely bundled batch" ? I concur with you ! 'worse than usual' ? nope, the worst Ever ! and yes, tomorrow is the night, and No , I would hardly doubt if he mentions the things that you are refferring to. Now, the actual question : How confident am I , in the state of the union ?? – – well Jack, I'm about as confident as You are ! – Jack, I've already paid my dues, drawing a pension from where I used to work for 28 years, and in 5 more years, hopefully will be drawing S.S. ( btw – I worked for that s.s. all those yrs) I'm on the other side of the hill Jack. My Vote will be for the Working People of this country.
    Larry in Houston

January 23, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
  89. Layne Alleman

Jack, This is no time to head for the lifeboats(along with the captain)!!!!! Heck, look how great Wall Street is doing. Look at all the money "our" banks are making. No sir, this is no time for whining about "poor" people, jobs, too many useless homes, or any of those other distractions. It's time to pull-up our bootstraps, head out that door, and grab every last penny you can from every breath being you can. THAT'S what has made our country great sir, and if you don't believe it, LEAVE IT!!!!!! Layne A. -Antioch,Il.

January 23, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  90. Seth, California

Why should i have confidence in a union that doesn't do its job? Cares more about party ideology then it does its own country. Its funny jack, in a time when our leaders should be trying to fix the problems we have, they would rather fight for the ideologies of their particular parties and let the problems continue on as if they don't exist. it has become clear that they are not interested in helping the little guy. they are most interested in lining their own pockets and not pay attention to what we as a people want.

January 23, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  91. Pete from Florida

What's the opposite of confident? The state of our Union seems to be similar to that of the Roman Empire shortly before its collapse in the 5th century. Sadly, in some ways, such as our social divisons and predisposition to war, it's also strikingly similar to pre-war Germany of the 1930's. Steered by politicians of little character and even less integrity, fueled by vast sums of money from self-serving out-of-control capitalism, and cheered on by an extremely ignorant and gullible electorate, our Ship of State is headed for the rocks.

January 23, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
  92. Franck Strongbow

Not confident at all. The Presiident will tell us all that he;s working hard to end this depression that we're in, but that he needs four more years to turn it all around. I'd feel better if the President just squared with us and said, this is a tough job, I've done it badly, and I am going to throw out the Treasury Secretary , the Council on Economic Advisors, and the National Security Council by presidential decree, and I am going to cut loose Puerto Rico because we have held th Carribean Island as a colony and we can't afford to send 900 million dollars annually to Puerto Rico anymore. If the President levels with all Americans, and throws out the nincompoops who surround him in his cabinet, he might make the cut. Otherwise, right now..Jack, the president appears to be a goner, he's done for, for being dishonest, and not having kept his campaign promises. For example, President Obama pledged to de colonize Puerto Rico, especially since this Ilsand of 4 million US citizens has been a colony for 113 long years Jack, a Century and 13 years! The president did not keep his promise to end their colonial status, you think he'll make good on anything else he will promise us now that he looks like a one term president? Come on, Jack, you know better than that. At least Oil can Harry was straight up in being dishonest, in all those cartoons. With this President , we don't know where the truth ends and the lie begins, sad to say..

January 23, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
  93. Pete/Ark

I am far more confident in the state of our National union than I am in the state of Newts current union.

January 23, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  94. Carl

Jack,
    The fact is the state of the union is quite good. This economy is in far better shape than the ones in Europe. Our foreign policy is strong. The number of terrorists taken off the grid during the Presidency is far greater than during the Bush presidency and the economy continues to recover from the idiocy of the Bush years when a 'for sale' sign that was on the lawn of the White House and Congress offering our government to right wing elites who could pay the freight has been taken down. You shouldn't complain as you continue to get money asking questions as an inane tour guide of the obvious. Have you considered a career on 60 minutes as Andy Rooney made a good living doing pretty much the same thing?

January 23, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  95. thom richer

Jack, there is nothing President Obama, any member of Congress, any corporate CEO, talking head or any news agency could say that would make me believe that anything has worked, is working or will work to make the economy improve or turn around. We are failing economically, politically, religiously, educationally and militarily and it will be decades before any one or thing will make a difference. Until respect for one another reestablishes itself free of greed, jealousy and hatred, we will continue in decline. To date, nothing is leaning toward this. So, talk away, Obama, Romney. Gingrich, et al, nothing y9u say will be believed by me without action.

Thom Richer
    Negaunee, MI

January 23, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
  96. Brian, San Diego

I'm cautiously optimistic, and becoming more optimistic. A look at the hard economic data clearly shows that the trends have all been positive for the last year or two. There's a long way to go, but things are moving the right direction, and will most likely continue to this year.

January 23, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
  97. David Doherty

If this is a union than it's a extremely dysfunctional one, can you say bi-polar? Not since the civil war has this country been pulled in totally opposite directions with neither side willing to compromise. The good of the country be damned! This country is in a death spiral, much like climate change there is a point where it can't be fixed, and these morons running this country are getting closer to the event horizon everyday.
    Dave from NH.

January 23, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
  98. Gigi Oregon

I'm very confident that he will have a very relaxed smile in a room of do nothing congress. Knowing full well they have the lowest poll ratings of all in Washington D.C. I believe in spite of the goal the republicans have to make him a one term president, "We the people" will not believe their slander come November 2012. They have spent 3+ years shooting of their mouth and hitting their foot with their hateful treatment, rhetoric and dedication to make him a one term President.. President Obama (with Sec. Clinton) has done more Godly management of the government and security of any President since FDR and I believe there is an awaking coming this spring of good people who will understand the real meaning of a Godly Nation than ever before. We have been lead down the road for the past dozen years by a sinful religious right to a nation of greed. And nearly bankrupting our once nation called "America the Beautiful". Our cities are run down, school have declined and corporate America has shipped jobs overseas for greed, and the church backs those who opresses the poor, the widow and the stranger in a strangeland...Greed might buy a nice plane, train or autombile but it won't a buy ticket to Gods mercy...

January 23, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
  99. Richard Texas

Jack it is going to be warm so I have better things to do then listen to the president and his thoughts on the Union. I am going to bathe my 5 dogs. At least I will feel like I accomplished something and after doing so when I take a shower myself I won't feel nearly as dirty as listening to the hog wash Obama is going to be dishing out to the rest of the people that do bother to waste time watching him.

January 23, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
  100. Gail, Plano TX.

Jack: As long as no one yells out you lie, at the President, I will consider the State of the Union address, a success!

It has become a sorry joke!

January 23, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
  101. CJ in Alabama

Jack , I disagree , I am more of an optimist , I think things are looking up , jobs and the economy , here in AL jobs market is getting better. Now on the political front I think we are in a big mess and it is dismal. I think if we can keep a republican out of the WH we will continie to improve, otherwise we will be in another war!

January 23, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  102. Jack - Lancaster, Ohio

Mr. Cafferty:

With no love for political leaders and their bloviations on the economy,, they always minimize reality with statements like "not very good" ahem!

January 23, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
  103. Southern Lady

The State of the Union would be much better if the Republicans had not blocked everything the President has tried to do to help the country. After Bush took the county to the edge and a young, Democratic president was elected, Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader, did not indicate they would work with the new president to save the county but, instead, stated clearly they would do everything possible to make him fail knowing if that happens, the county fails too. At that time all the respect I every held for the Republican party stopped and they will never again get my vote. . Obama 2012

January 23, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
  104. Kenneth Close

My look at the State of The Union in any administration is a waste of time. Do they think the people are so uniformed they need to be told, were broke, can't find a job, can't sell our house and there is a war going on over seas. No wonder Congress can't act, they don't know what is going on till POTUS tells them.........

January 23, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  105. Steve, Clifton, Virginia

As long as it is not given by the likes of a Newt Gingrich, I am very confident in it.....

January 23, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  106. pad

Jack 10 years of war the tax payers have got for free.
    The banks are geting money from the Fed for nearly free.
    Obama will tell us we are living free and he wants to barrow more money to keep us free.

January 23, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
  107. Not at all - just another misinfomercial

Not confident at all. Just another misinfomercial.

January 23, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
  108. Name*Cris

The one point I don't get is you say gas prices doubled. since when did we pay $ 1.75 a gallon since GW was in charge ?

January 23, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  109. confusesus

As a Nor'Easter, I think the state of our union as awful. I look back at Abe Lincoln and think he was the biggest buffoon in American history for not letting the close-minded, religion and gun-clinging half our country leave it, so the rest of us could create a tolerant, sane, and industrially strong country.

January 23, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  110. Not at all - just another misinfomercial

there doesn't seem to be much political will to do anything good or right that works for the actual humans that live here. the banksters and corporations just want to privatize profits and socialize losses.

January 23, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  111. Michael, from Smiths, Alabama

I have alot of confidence in President Obama. Granted our Union isn't in a grand state-and for that we need only look at the GOP and especially the so-called Tea Party-and granted we're still in the midst of war in Afghanistan, but the fact is that Obama did bring our troops home from Iraq, he did give the order to bring down Osama Bin Laden, and he has been trying to win bipartisan support for much-needed reforms. Anyone who says that Obama doesn't care about the American people must be working for one of Romney's, or Gingrich's corporations.

January 23, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  112. Mark

The President would be well served to introduce his State of the Union address with the following, " My fellow Americans, the only difference between my administration and the Titanic, is that they had a good band!" At leat this would be more realisitc!

January 23, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  113. Walker in Prosperity S.C.

As bad as things were in 2009 when Obama took office, he has made progress in stabilizing things. One thing is for certain, we do not need another republican president to throw our economy back into another tail spin resulting from their trickle-down economic practicies. History has proven that trickle-down economics do not work for anyone but politicians and the wealthy who support their campaigns. Give the poor and middle-class a tax break and you create immediate demand for goods and services. GNP goes up! Give the wealthy a tax break and you create no additional demand as they already have everything they need and want. GNP remains stagnant.

January 23, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  114. Bob, Arlington, VA.

I would feel immensely more confident if you (the media) and the Administration would spend more time truly outlining for the American public the nature of the historically unprecedented challenge(s) facing us on many fronts.

January 23, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  115. Adam

As long as this nation is being taken hostage by the big government party (disguised as two different parties) I will hold no confidence in this union. We need real change here in America. Neither Democrats nor Republicans are offering it. I wish America would wake up and hold congress accountable to their representation of them. Remove from office those that refuse to vote the sentiment of the people!

January 23, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  116. Dana Oklahoma

As long as the entitlement program called "Current and Former Congressional leaders" continues to have control of their lifelong salaries, benefits and futures, the State of the Union will continue to be poor.

January 23, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  117. Angryblackman

Not very stable. And all the fault lies with the Republicans. Reaganomics is a failure. Trickle down economics and deregulation have destroyed the country. The attacks on unions and public service workers is like shooting yourself in the leg and wondering why you cant walk. It is time we lay the blame where it is due and do something about it. We need to elect a true liberal for president but even better we need true liberals in congress and the senate. Those willing to fix our country and make it one nation under god indivisible with justice for all. Punish the wealthy who nearly destroyed the country. Punish the republicans who committed war crimes. without true equality and justice the country appears like a straw man easily lit on fire and burned down.

January 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  118. Garrett

Garrett, Chattanooga, TN
    President Obama could have served more productively if we had less of a "Do-Nothing Congress." People in Washington are too concerned with their partisan BS rather than getting things done. Prime example: The Tea Party.

January 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  119. Trevan

Almost 2 years ago I graduated from university and took a job teaching English overseas. It was the only thing I could find that provided me with healthcare in spite of having been uninsured with a pre-existing condition and enough money to live on while paying my loans. I would rather be back in the states with my friends and family. Every year around this time I have to make the decision to renew my contract for another year or stay abroad. How confident am I in the state of the union? I just renewed for year three.

January 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  120. Gary - California

Jack I am very confident that your assesment of the upcoming State of the Union speech is way too cynical and dead wrong. In fact I am so confident I am willing to be $10,000 of Mitt Romeny's money.

January 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  121. Larry in Houston

How confident are you in the state of the union?
    First of all, I hope it won't go down with a Republican shouting "You Lie" like last year, Jack . . .- the people in this country are rebelling, to put it bluntly. It's anybody but obama. and I mean anybody. it wouldn't matter if it's romney or the newter- by the time the next prez is sworn IN, and into his 3rd yr. – we will be around 18 trillion in hawk, Jack. somebody needs to address this situation, or else it's going to end up out of hand. My Vote is Straight Ticket, for the Working People !!! ( not the Dr.s / Lawyers / or Indian Chiefs) ( no offense to the Indian Chiefs)
    Larry in Houston

January 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  122. Jan K. in Asotin,Wa.

I have a lot of confidence in our Union. People are finally starting to see what the Supreme Court and our elected officials are all about–POWER–and are starting to fight back with their votes and their feet. Where I live, housing sales are up, joblessness is down, new businessess are opening. I would go on, but I don't want everyone moving here.

January 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  123. Brenda Overmyer

The state of our great country can be compared to the "Tidy-Bowl Man" and Obama has his hand on the flush handle.
    We are going down the road being built by Obama's great infrastructure plan. The only problem is the big "sink hole" at the end of the road. Jack we are going nowhere but down!!!
    Brenda from Oregon

January 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  124. Sam, Rockford, IL

With Newt Gingrich as the Republican's favorite hope for defeating President Obama, I am supremely confident that the state of the union is strong and the future of this country under Barack Obama's second term will only continue to get better.

January 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  125. Jeanne Davis

Jack:
    I am horrified that you would be so negative in your opinion about the upcoming state of the union address. When so many people across this country need hope in their future, to be so belittling about a speech that hasn't even occurred yet is despicable. You know in your heart that the nation's inability to move forward is the stalemate in Congress and their self serving roadblocks. Shame on you and shame on them.

January 23, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  126. Gus from Manassas, VA

I haven't been able to sit through one State of the Union speeches since I started voting some +30 years ago.
    Everytime the old man at the pedestal finishes a sentence, congress stands up and clap and gloat about how great they are and its repulsive. I think they're all a bunch of phony weasels that have no idea what a good days work is.
    Seriously.

January 23, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  127. Damon

Not at all confident, and as a 28-year-old graduate from an elite university, I probably should feel nothing but confidence right now. The irresponsible choices of a few have all but eliminated growth opportunities for the many, and while President Obama and his colleagues on both sides of the aisle continue to hurl petulant attacks at one another and spend millions of dollars on trying to win an election, this country is moving closer and closer to the brink. Thanks, Jack, for at least having the courage to tell it like it is.

January 23, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  128. Rose

Not confident at all! It will be just some more BS from our incompetent president!

January 23, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  129. Matt

Jack, it's pretty hard to be confident when all you hear about everything is negativity. Negative about the housing, negative about jobs and the growing concern about global oil prices. If everybody stood together and be a little more positive I think things in America could change dramatically.

January 23, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  130. Vince Hugh Atlanta

Not at all confident. I feel it's going to be a purely political speech thinking only of getting re-elected. I'm mostly tired of him blaming the Republican House for 'not compromising' when in fact its HIM who won't compromise. Why doesn't Obama just look at what's best for our country and do it and forget about politics. Vince Hugh Atlanta

January 23, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  131. Wayne - TN

Confident???? Anyone that is confident is either part of the 1% or delusional. I guess ingnoance is BLISS.

January 23, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
  132. andrew

I think the we're on a sinking ship. There is nothing, but complete morons running this nation. I have absolutely no confidence in our government to do its job. Regardless if its a democrat or republican.

January 23, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  133. Jacque

I will remain more confident with President Obama in charge than I would if any single one of the GOP top running potential nominees should happen to become president instead. At least Obama is trying to help the *whole* country and all the ordinary people for whom it is meant to be representative and not blatantly fronting for the Big Corporations and the Ultra Rich as if even the middleclass was irrelevant and immaterial to the welfare of the whole country and the disenfranchised were as disposable as old techno toys.

January 23, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  134. Mike Biltonen

I I am not very confident in the state of the union. And yes I hold Congress as culpable as I do the game-playing Obama. But here's the problem, there's no one on the GOP/Tea Party side of the aisles (yes, I'll lump them all together) that seems to be on middle America's side. If these companies with all this cash would start to hire people (they've been given that cash via tax incentives, now give it back), we'd see some turn around. But the fact is they're withholding this cash in order to keep the economy stalled in order to win the votes for their candidate through their Super PAC in order to get more incentives to make more cash that they WON'T put back into the economy....and around and around we go. Congress needs to get serious about what really matters...not all this philosophical bickering. And Obama needs to stand behind the things we all thought he stood for when he was elected. Win, lose, or draw...all you have is your integrity.

January 23, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  135. Bill GA

I want the president to tell us what he will do about the debt, Medicare and SS. No more voting present like he did on the pipeline and he did throughout his career. When will he show some leadership????

January 23, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  136. Horace Potter

Our state of the economy is in ruin due to the Congress being "possessed" by self serving individuals and party activists. Our forefathers never intended for Congress to be a profession. Citizens were expected to go to Washington, serve their term, and then return home to their jobs.

Tragically, Congress is now reserved for the politically connected few. Americans do not run this country, or it's economy, professional politians do...and that must change with the introduction of term limits.

Grapevine, Texas

January 23, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  137. Mitch Dworkin - Dallas, Texas

Unfortunately, I am not confident in it because what can Obama say to the House tea party freshmen who hate him, who refuse to seriously compromise with him, who are rooting for him to fail, and who even John Boehner cannot fully control? John Boehner has a tea party primary challenger right now so I believe he is being held hostage by the tea party where he could possibly get in trouble if he crosses them too much.

January 23, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
  138. Kelly Ontario, Canada

Confidence in President Obama..yes
    Confidence in Congress..no
    Confidence in the direction the country is going in..yes
    Confidence that people will actually look at the facts about the state of the country rather then just listening to the hateful rederick...none at all!!

January 23, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
  139. Jay

Jack, With all confidence, I can confer to you the fact I have no confidence in his ability and that of any Congress to resolve our Corporation of the United States problems. We the people need to hire a board of directors to represent our perspective in the future.

January 23, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
  140. Ken

If the Prez would travel across town to St. Elizabeth's and stand next to Hinkley, I'd believe anything he says, as long as he's in a strait jacket. Russia had its czar. Obama has more than you can count on your fingers and he's adding more each passing day. Look what happened with ONE czar. Multiply that by the number that Emperor Obama calls to his side. He's so out of touch... just the the Czar was... and he campaigns (or fiddles) while the US burns.

January 23, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
  141. Adam from Maine

Explain how you say that gas prices have doubles since President Obama took office". Explain how you suggest the long lingering war in Afghanistan is the fault of our current President. Explain how you connect the current economy solely to this administration. Explain how you say "the country is bankrupt". None of these statements are even remotely accurate. Elite Liberal Media??? Where are they?

January 23, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
  142. dianne brown

I have no confidence in the state of the union. This is what we get for having a "community organizer" who is a good-looking eloquent speaker–however "the emperor has no clothes" and we are finally 'seeing' what needs to be seen for ourselves. However, voting for any POLITICIAN is like voting for the rat with the longest tail. And, why is no one talking about the law suit waged by an American airplane manufacturer against the recent decision Obama made to buy airplanes from Brazil–a country whose voting record in the UN undermines the U.S. in my opinion.

January 23, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  143. Robert Pike, Homestead Fl

I'm betting you're going to get a lot more honesty from Obama than you suggest he'll 'fess up to; he's that kind of guy. He'll mention a lot more problems than you think he will; and he'll offer a lot of solutions as well. Yes, he'll blame congress for a lot, and yes he'll offer a lot solutions that will sound good on TV- but will get a stonewall of silence from the majority. But that's part of the circus we've come to expect, isn't it?

January 23, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  144. Jack - Lancaster, Ohio

Mr. Cafferty Sir:

I have moments where I try to have an open mind and commiserate with the current generation. I have to say that my confidence in the state of the union (that would be SOTU?) is that it....SUCKS !

January 23, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  145. Mike in Minneapolis

I'm more confident than I was three years ago, and I am certainly more confident than when Bumblin' Bush was in office.

January 23, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  146. wendy

Hi Jack,
    well I can say that I am looking forward to it. I think we have a great president. The congress has tried really hard to bring him down and this really irritates me so bad. It's just not normal. I know this president will do super in his second term with no doubts.

January 23, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  147. Jim in Texas

Jack, I'm very very worried about the state our country and it is due to one thing... GREED !

January 23, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  148. Daniel, Detroit, MI

Although the country isn't doing so well right now, I have confidence that the state of the union will improve in the next few years. If one takes a look at history, the economy is a cycle of ups and downs. Right now, I think we're at the tail-end of a down. There has been economic growth under President Obama, that's indisputable. It's unfair to say that he's just blaming Congress to hide what he can't get done himself. Really, what can he do without the support of the House? The Republicans are determined to oppose him on everything he says, and quite frankly it's ridiculous. If there's anything that makes me lose confidence in the state of the union, it's the way that our elected officials act as if people from the other party are a different species and can't be trusted or worked with. They need to tone it down and work together, because that's where real results come from.

January 23, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  149. JLK in Tucson

I do not believe anything this President says. Tomorrow night he will shoot more arrows at the "millionaires and billionaires.". He is a divider and he has failed terribly in meeting his campaign promises; which he will blame on the Congress with special mention of the Republican members of the house.

January 23, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  150. Jimmy

Confidence is at its lowest hopefully it can ever get. The main thing is to have a president who smooths that and it is a definite that President Obama just can't. We gotta a lot done with Obama, but his persistance on making congress work together is like a lecture professor relationship. Congress NEEDS A TUTOR relationship and things would be different

January 23, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  151. Derek

You just said that Pres. Obama probably won't mention that gas prices have nearly doubled in the last few years. If that were the case that would make the average price for a gallon of gas somewhere around 1.75$ a gallon. I don't know about anyone else but I'm pretty sure it was a little higher than that. If you didn't mean this price I suggest you look back into the matter or give a less misleading explanation.

January 23, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  152. Christie from Virginia

The State of the Union was troubled when President Obama took office in 2008 and somehow we have selected amnesia about how this country got to this place. It takes more than four years to get the Union out of the terrible state it was in during eight previous years. I am more confident with the State of the Union now than I was four years ago and I believe he gives this country the best chance to continue to turn around the destructive damage the previous Administration perpetuated. I listen to the GOP criticize Obama but I do not have confidence that McCain in 2008 or any of the current GOP circus acts could do a better job now than than did between 2000-2008.

January 23, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  153. Monica from St. Louis

True to the amnesia America seems to have. This President inherited a mess that took 8 long years yet what was Bush's state of the Union like? No America is not where we should be but we're slowly getting there and yes Jack, when alot of changes require congress' help you see very little change. While we're valid in being angry it's ridiculous to be foolish. How did we get to this point and have we made any progress? Why are we expecting more from this President than some did from the previous president?

January 23, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  154. Politics

You pollute your viewers minds and then you ask them to give you their opinions. To appreciate this question properly, paint the picture of the State of the Union when the President took office. Then paint the State of the Union now. The difference will indicate that although things are not perfect, the gains are very encouraging. Therfore the State of the Union is moving in the right direction. If you are so concerned about joblessness, tell the republicans to pass the American Jobs Act which will create 1.9 million jobs right away! Use your bully pulpit for the good of the nation.

January 23, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  155. Kyle

Its not good it's worse since Obama has been in office he makes people think economy is getting better but he and everyone in congress are so power hungry so let's fire them in 2012 and get in business men in let mitt Romney how a complex economy works

January 23, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  156. Jean Sharp

I am very confident in our President and sick of Congress. If they would work for the people who put them in office and show the respect for our President who is working against all odds, maybe we could move forward which is what all Americans are wanting. I hope the State of the Union will improve under the President's great leadership.

January 23, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  157. Debbie, TEXAS

I haven't had a President since 2008. There is a person pretending to be one but that person is operating like a Chicago thug. The STATE of The UNION is that we're Broke as a nation, the housing market has a long way to go before recovering and the millions of unemployed will cetainly agree we're far from recovering.

Wake up AMERICA.......

January 23, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  158. John

No President in the history has been more criticized by you and your followers, just the truth when did gas prices double? I was paying $4 after Bush left and which was before Mr. Obama took office and what is it now regards!

January 23, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  159. Steve

Not very cofident but it's a great show to watch. I'll betcha any money one thing he'll say which every president has said since Jimmie Carter and that is " we have to have an energy policy that will free us from being dependent on foriegn oil."
    The show is for young kids that will hear it for the first time. For us older folks, we heard it all, seen it all, but can't rember it all.

January 23, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  160. Kendall C from Florida

Hey Jack, The State of the Union is NOT in order. We have a government that fights with itself, everyone in the world and even it's own people. A president and 4 republicans all fighting over the same chair of power. And we're still spending millions over seas in countries that most Americans dont even know exist. Let alone could spell them. To achieve order in out union, we must voice our opinions as Americans, and demand that our government follow US, not the other way around.

January 23, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  161. donald

the state of the union is a joke the USA is falling into the dumper. I don't know which would be worse. Obama gets in again or Newt the poster boy for business as usual or Romney who nobody likes or trusts. Personally i think the only way we will ever get back on track is to break up the stranglehold the Republican and Democratic national commities have on the Government.
    they take in billions of dollars and use it all to keep it business as usual. Change would break up their control of who even gets on the ballot and who will do their will if they get in office. Instead we need to solidify the moderates and unaffiliated voters into a force to break up the good old boys network in Government and to go back to citizen representitives to D.C.

January 23, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  162. Bryson in ID

How confident am I the State of the Union?

Like you said Jack, the state of union isnt all that good. However, I believe in America. I believe in what we were, and where we can go. I am confident, that with the right leadership, vision, inspiration, and cooperation we can reclaim the glory of what was the greatest country on earth. President Obama inherited many challenges that were in the works when he took office. Since that time though, he has not helped to improve things. The challenges the country faces from year to year change and evolve, and it will take different leaders with different vision and ideas to lead the country at any given time. It is time for a new leader to help us face new challenges, when that happens, I will again be confident in the state of our union.

January 23, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  163. Adrian Clift

I remain cautions about the state of the Union. We are not out of the economic woods yet.; that Europe seems to be teetering on the brink of another depression hardly helps. Congressional gridlock is setting new records. Meanwhile, the American electorate remains largely uneducated about issues like energy and the debt.

Like you, though, Jack, I enjoy being a pessimist. We are rarely disappointed, and often are pleasantly surprised by the way things do turn out. Keep on truckin'.

January 23, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  164. Gary - California

Jack, in my view you are being way too cynical about the content of the upcomming State of the Union Speech. I am so confident that I am will to bet you $10,000 of Mitt Romney's money.

January 23, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
  165. Ellen Braesch

Jack – When in history have elected officials gone to Washington – not professing a commitment to work for the common good – but instead with the proudly stated purpose of getting rid of the acting President NO MATTER WHAT THE COST to the Nation? Mr. Obama doesn't need to put any spin on that. Republicans have broken their contract with America in order to uphold their contract with Mr. Norquist: to never, never, never increase taxes. Voters need to recognize the cult mentality and sociopathy which rules the Republican party, get them the hell out of government and vote in people who will get America back to work and this economy back to good health.

January 23, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
  166. Dusty-Atlanta

Thanks for asking this question. I, for one, am very confident of the future State of the Union, but I despair at its present state. Americans are avery resilient and creative people. In 2012, we will stop the avalanche toward collectivism by changing the occupant of the White House and the majority in the Senate.

January 23, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
  167. Kathy Rossland, Brookfield, CT

A lot more confident if we give Obama another term in office with a Democratic Congress. I am tired of people blaming Obama for the state we are in. It is the direct fault of the Republicans disgraceful attempt to block the success of any of Obama's proposals for growth – many of which have been very good. The Republican's mission has always been to set up Obama for failure, which they assume will, in turn, cause the American electorate to vote in a Republican President and Congress. I am hoping the American electorate will be more thoughtful than that in their decision and see that the Republicans have an agenda for the corporate rich.

January 23, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
  168. Danny K.

Why worry about the union, when the only thing that it does is make people clap? Let's rather worry about the economy.

January 23, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
  169. Politics

To appreciate this question properly, paint the picture of the State of the Union when the President took office. Then paint the State of the Union now. The difference will indicate that although things are not perfect, the gains are very encouraging. Therfore the State of the Union is moving in the right direction. If you are so concerned about joblessness, tell the republicans to pass the American Jobs Act which will create 1.9 million jobs right away! Use your bully pulpit for the good of the nation.You pollute your viewers minds and then you ask them to give you their opinions.

January 23, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
  170. Don Duvall

I can't understand how people can blame Obama for 8 yrs Bush. You think it would only take three years to clean up that mess?

January 23, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
  171. Rick

Geeze Jack, you're sounding like a grumpy old senile man again. The State of the Union is very important and just about the only time we hear it straight from the Presidents mouth directed especially to us. In this day of spin, deception and straight out lies coming from the desperate GOP and it's fake "for work working class America" candidates it's very important to hear it straight from Barracks mouth. Of coarse they'll spin and lie about that speach later too.

January 23, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
  172. JAB from Missouri

More confident than I am in any politician. This country has survived bad presidents and bad congresses. No matter what people feel, it will survive again.

January 23, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
  173. Rolando Serrano

The state of the union is dire, however i'm hopeful for the future. There is a lot to be concerned about but, the United States has an opportunity to make tremendous strides in the right direction if we elect Ron Paul. His predictions have come to be and has the solutions to solve our problems. We need swallow our pride and admit the most valuable characteristic in politics is honesty, we deserve Ron Paul not panderers!

January 23, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
  174. Joan

As long as republicans have any power, then the state of the union is dire and will continue to implode. Many Republican and 'Tea Party' voters are willfully ignorant of their country and the world around them. They believe outrageous lies from the Republican party that peddles evil and calls it Christianity; that persecutes the sick and the poor while calling themselves the purveyors of 'family values"; they preach war and hatred while thumping their Bibles; they make wars for monetary and political gain only and call it patriotism. They have brought nothing but shame to the US over the past decade in particular.

January 23, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
  175. Linda Reed Waldport, oregon

All of the comments above tell it like it is. The subject is too vast for a snap shot whizbang answer, but it here goes?
    We are broke, we a deeply divided society, our infrastucture and weapns systems are getting old and no gainful employment in sight for many. Homes worth nothing. The youth are whiners and often ignorant. Our future surfdom is advancing nicely. The rich win, we peons lose.
    Matter of time that China rules us as we govern today.

Americans forgot about self acriice in emergencies and pulling together for the common good.

Good lucj Jack?

January 23, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
  176. Cee.Louisiana

I believe in the State of the Union, I believe that this president is smart, articulate and will tell it like it is..... I just hope I dont have to hear someone yell "you lie"......

January 23, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
  177. Joe Stanislawski

JACK, should he discuss the "STATE of the UNION" or the state of the two legislative offices ( House and Senate) whose ONLY concern is getting rid of our current President instead of passing bills to help secure the "State of OUR Union"? Should he say he's failed at evereything that's wrong in our country or say the Executive Branch has 500 plus idiots who can't discuss, agree and write a bill that will move us forward? Forget the Presidential election people! Start moving out the party of "NO" and let's see Congress do something the next 4 years! Joe Southern Illinois

January 23, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
  178. Scott Schrammer New Port Richey, FL

HELL NO !!! I am as concerned as I could possibly be. News stations should warn the public that Obama's speech could be dangerous to their health. Various heart problems for those who know better; lung issues from being agast; high risk stress disorders from being covered with the BS you imagine and all sorts of mental issues from being lied to while they search for a job, watch their homes foreclosed or drop 40% in value and possible toxic reactions from all the teflon this guy is covered with.

January 23, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
  179. Larry Chapman

Our union is stronger than it was in 2005 to 2008. We are correcting past mistakes dispite our congressional representatives that are more interested in removing one of our best Presidents. Barack Obama.

We are no longer sheep willing to follow the most practice debater and see through their missrepresentations. We now have the Internet where they do not rule so they can no longer plind us from the truth. Thus, Our nion is Strong.

January 23, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
  180. Nancy FLoida

Jack
    Please, do not start a question with your own one sided opinion. By the way, I disagree with everything you said!

January 23, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
  181. Bill Nuehring

As a senior I can honestly say that I am glad to be old enough where I may not see the fall of this great nation. We have been taken back to the 19th century by the banks, corporations and government (the new organized crime). Education for the masses is becoming a thing of the past. Affordable health care is vanishing. Owning a home will never be an attainable "dream", finding a job has become a dream as corporations keep sending our jobs overseas. Crime and drugs are on the rise, thier is little value for human life as our news casts report on a daily basis.

I keep hearing about religion being important, yet it seems a different christianty is being practiced these days. Where is helping ones fellow man in the scheme of things. It is all me, myself and I.

January 23, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
  182. Jonny (Fremont, CA)

I am more confident in the state of the union than I was in 2008. I doubt the President will fail to mention at least some of the problems plaguing our country. But let us not forget that the poor economy, housing crisis, gas prices, and the war in Afghanistan were all difficulties he inherited. It's going to take more than one term to fix the mess Bush left behind.

January 23, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
  183. AVIEL

How could any sane American be satisfied with the state of this nation?
    All one need do is read some of the appropriate literature available and it is so scary that they would want to move to Canada.
    One of the best books available now is 'SUICIDE OF A SUPERPOWER, by Patrick Buchanan
    For seniors we need to wake up and look at the facts associated with OBAMACARE.
    The per person Medicare Part B insurance premium will increase to $104.20 this year, $120.20 in 2013, and $247.00 in 2014.
    This is what OBAMA, PELOSI, and REID did for seniors.
    The DEMOCRAPS PURPOSELY delayed these figures in order to hide the facts from seniors prior to the 2012 election.
    One has to ask 'ARE THE DEMOCRAPS really looking out for the American people'??
    These are not the DEMOCRATS of Franklin Roosevelt days!

January 23, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
  184. Poody Lou

It is impossible to have any confidence in the State of the Union, when the country is being drug down by a President too few people have any confidence in. I do not even listen to what he says anymore. The past few years our Constitution has been shredded. The recent passage of NDAA, was pretty much the straw that broke the camels back for me. Even our one party election process that is being disguised as two is a thing of the past. The GOP and the media is steering the elections, combined with voter fraud, it isn't even being done secretively anymore. The only way to bring this country back together is to allow it to fall apart, and start over. I would love to believe that my vote for Ron Paul will count, but it wont. The powers that be have decided that that is not in their financial best interest. So we will look past Obama's inability, Gingrich's lack of ethics, Romney's lack of experience, and take which ever one they decide is best for them. I no longer see a union, just a whole lot of people out to serve their own self interest.

January 23, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
  185. Patty Macdonald

If we have the will to move away from an economic policy, finanacial system and job creation program based on fossil fuels – we'll have a chance not only to make a signifcant dent in our carbon footprint but create sustainable jobs and communities with the social capital we seem to have lost – there are curently countless examples on communities in the US who have or are in the middle of moving to a more sustainable future – but no one in the media is talking about them and the energy companies seem to be spending an unprecedented amount of money to advertise on all the major networks – CNN included – to frame job creation and fossil fuels as our only answer – President Obama has done a number of things that if we supported them could make a real differrence...the GOP seems to want to take us back to a past that will never exist again – even of we buy into deep water drilling, oil sands, fracking natural gas, more nuclear energy and clean coal as our future sources of energy...extreme weather and other costs of climate change in a more populated world will result in an unsustainable future – Newton, Iowa, California, NYC, Portland, OR, Toledo, Ohio, Walmart, Denver, Col, Clorox – are just a few examples outlined in a book written by an award-winning Canadian author – Read The Leap by Christ Turner – it's a real eye-opener about what's gone on all over the world and in North America – if we have the collective will – we can have a much brighter future...

January 23, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
  186. Greg Schoultz

I am a fan of facts, Jack, not the stale bleatings of pundits. When the economy melted down in the fall of 2008, if you had predicted then that we would be be in the exact condition we are today, any politician, pundit, economist or Wall Street "expert" would have said that that was too much to hope for.

The reality is that despite the best efforts of Wall Street and the party in control during the run up to the Meltdown, the economy and the 99% have a resilience that even they couldn't destroy.

January 23, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
  187. Kathleen

I have confidence in the president and his direction for the country. He is shining a light on the lost people of this country-the middle class. Why is it so difficult to understand that people are not engaging in class warfare in discussion of the 99% vs. the 1%. We are asking for the playing field to be leveled so that we too can live our American Dream which does not necessarily include becomiing a millionaire.

January 23, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
  188. Tony H

The question I always come back to is, "Would someone else have done better"?
    I believe anyone in the same situation that President Obama stepped into would have struggled just as much. When congress will not agree with any idea's, even their own, then it is purely political posturing. Not concern for the American people.

January 23, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
  189. Katie

Retract the statement: "He’s not likely to address the fact that gas prices have doubled since he took office."
    It's a lie.

January 23, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
  190. Ellen from Omaha

January 23, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
  191. Don, Charleston, SC

Jack, How dare you. Have a little respect for our Commander-In-Chief. Do you really expect him to be the "mouth of doom", or as our President, or to be the "Beacon of Hope" that he really needs to be? He is doing the best he can considering, and considering I watch CNN all the time, I know that little by little some areas of the economy are improving. As for the gas prices, go talk to BIG OIL about that. The State of the Union could be worse, and thank God it isn't. Just what do you expect of our President, and how would you try to comfort the Americans who are hurting right now? Would you share a message of Doom, or one of Hope? Give me a break, Jack.

January 23, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
  192. Scott

The state of the union is not good, We only need to look at the history of Brazil, Russia, and now Europe to see where the United States is heading. We need to get our fiscal house in order. Lets start by having a 5% cut in all government spending on all levls . Lets tell the American people the truth, that we cannot continue supporting at the level we created because it was created on borrowed money and increased debt. Tell us the truth, that if we start to cut together, tighten our belts together, live happy, free, but with less we will thrive and proper. If we continue to increase our debt, spend money we do not have, we are doomed, doomed, doomed. Did you hear me doomed.

January 23, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
  193. Michelle M.

Reasonable question, Jack- but lousy framing. NO ONE knows what to do about the housing crisis, as far as I know. President Obama has a jobs act on the table that would fix some of our decrepit infrastructure and create some jobs- but the Republicans won't pass it, because they'd rather feed us all to the sharks than do anything that would help the economy or the President. And last I knew, the President doesn't control oil prices, the 'free-market' and speculators do. So while I don't think much of the state of our union, I also don't think the President has much to do with most of our problems- which were largely created by W's unpaid-for wars & tax cuts. And the Republicans answer to every question is to cut taxes for the wealthy, drill, and cut spending- which is not how you pull an economy out of crisis.

January 23, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
  194. Chris MA

I'm confident in America, and real American people. Not people who are also corporations. I love our president and agree with everything he is trying to do, he will do great in his second term. If he wants to blame congress for anything, I wouldn't disagree. They've done nothing but hold him back, only for being Barack Obama.

January 23, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
  195. Delores, TX

I am very confident in President Obama and the state of the union address. What can he do when you have Mitch McConnell declaring that he will not support anything the President put before them. About as confident as the republicans was with Pres. Bush. He came in no debt after his 8 years debt some deep you could never get out. But Blame President Obama is what is said.

January 23, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
  196. Joe in Ohio

The state of the Union will be ok for the labor unions, public unions, college students, teachers, environmentalist, homeless, welfare recipients. mischief makers and the communist party of America. Obama and his liberal socialist communist have a right to say who will succeed and who will fail in America. It's all part of his hope and change pledge.
    He has fundamentally change American freedom to communist style doctoral repression form of government, he and his czars are bypassing our congress making them obsolete. Att. Gen Holder and the justice Dept.are going along with law suits against the American people over illegal immigration ,fast and furious gun running to Mexican drug cartels.
    The rich are under attack ,the middle class has lost ground for the last 40 years and are struggling to survive. Our military is shirking and getting smaller and older and awaiting more cuts
    on it budget. Spending is out of control and the people are not being heard nor represented. Other then that everything is just dandy.

January 23, 2012 at 5:53 pm |