December 14th, 2011

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

It's the kind of thing you'd expect to hear from Republicans, but not Democrats.

Congressman Dennis Cardoza - a Democrat - is blasting President Obama as being more like a professor who is arrogant and alienating.

The five-term congressman from California, who's retiring at the end of this term, writes in "The Hill" that it's become obvious that the president might prefer to be a university professor.

Cardoza says the Obama administration suffers from something he calls idea disease: They roll out new programs weekly - and sometimes daily - without any priorities and often with little follow up.

Cardoza also writes that President Obama has an "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude. He says this arrogant demeanor has alienated many potential allies.

The Democratic congressman suggests the president avoids personal contact with members of Congress and people outside the beltway - it's not the first time we've heard this critique.

Although President Obama gives speeches to big crowds, he avoids individual contact. This sounds like the polar opposite of Bill Clinton, who fed off contact with "regular people."

This "arms length" attitude extends to top Obama officials. Cardoza describes a senior housing official who crafted policies for the foreclosure crisis - but who never bothered to personally meet with a homeowner who had been foreclosed on. Pretty shocking.

Despite this disparaging picture of the president, Cardoza says he would still take "Professor" Obama over the "goat rodeo clowns" the Republican field offers."

But he worries the voters might give the president a failing grade in November if he doesn't improve his performance.

Here’s my question to you: How damaging is it when a Democratic congressman criticizes President Obama as a "professor" who is arrogant and alienating?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Brad in Oregon:
As someone who leans Democratic, I think Obama could use some constructive criticism. I see nothing wrong with what the congressman said.

Paul in North Carolina:
Not very damaging at all. I'd much prefer a professorial president to some dolt from Texas (take your pick) who can't utter a complete intelligent sentence. Obama may well lose in 2012 but it certainly won't be the result of anything Dennis Cardoza says or does.

Mark in Oklahoma City:
Jack, I don't think Obama really wants to be re-elected. I think he secretly wants to be defeated so he can be given a professorship at a major liberal university and then travel the world charging $100 grand per speech. He would be much better off and so would America.

Bill:
You said: "The five-term congressman from California, who's retiring at the end of this term". Now if this congressman was up for re-election and said something like this, you might be on to something. Hoever, he will not be around when the music stops, so, he does not need a chair. His comments at this point are about as worthless as the paper they were printed on.

Larry in Ohio:
Jack, Why would this surprise anyone? Citizens who are honest have known since day one that President Obama is an aloof elitist.

Ed in Texas:
Could be an interesting race if Newt Gingrich is the GOP nominee, since he's also a professor who is arrogant and alienating.

1. Heather

Soon enought everyone will see what Obama's has become. It is only natural for it to take a little longer for the Demc. to caught on. It really doesnt matter what Obama does anymore he isnt pulling the strings any longer I dont know if he ever was.. Wake people this country belongs to the people who put Obama into office WALL STREET AND THE BANKS!!!

December 14, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
  2. Larry -Denver

Jack , its a wash. Look how many republicans and pundits/writers call Newt "arrogant and conceited"? Its nothing. Let's wait until November. Elections are not today.

December 14, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
  3. Susan-NJ

The professor is not the only commentator to call Obama arrogant. Most of the others say he simply doesn't care which is why when asked about the economy he begins with a chuckle. Obamam does more harm to himself than anyone can do to him.

December 14, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
  4. Jayne in NH

I don't think it's nearly as damaging as the descriptions of the Republican candidates exiting their clown car.

December 14, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
  5. Ron

It just shows the lack of intelligence of certain members of congress that the president has to deal with

December 14, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
  6. Andre R. Newcomb

Is it "damaging" to want a transparent Presidency? Was 40/41 transparent? There were several big tweakings that could not have possibly occurred without 'pre'-arrangements that might explain why a no-one from nowhere could sail into the Oval Office without ever having faced a re-election (an incumbency challenge).

December 14, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
  7. tom bulger, Canandaigua, NY

The reason Congress has a 7% popularity rating is because it could teach Napoleon arrogance and alienation. Professor Freud calls this mental problem, Projection. The folks I know who've met the president say he is warm, engaging, and personable plus.

December 14, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
  8. Bill (Tacoma)

You said: "The five-term congressman from California, who's retiring at the end of this term" now if this congressman was up for re-elections and said something like this, you might be on to something, however, he will not be around when the music stops, so, he does not need a chair. His comments at this point are about as wortheless as the paper they were printed on.

December 14, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
  9. Dan5404

I know nothing about Cordoza, but he is way off on his assessment. Cordoza probably has some pet legislation he wanted passed and didn't get his way. Obama has had many occasions to demonstrate his care for ordinary people, That's far more than you can say about his GOP rivals.

December 14, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
  10. Mike S., New Orleans

I don't think a retiring congressman calling the President arrogant is that damaging to Obama. Especially when that same congressman says he would still vote for Obama over any of the 'rodeo clowns' the GOP has to offer. I'll take arrogance over insanity any day. Neither GOP front-runner could be described as 'stable.'

December 14, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  11. Jk from Minnesota

Are we really sure this rep is really a democrat? He is one of the 10 democrats who woted with the republicans for the payroll tax bill that includes other things than the the clean bill the president asked for. He's entitled to his opinion, I don't agree with him.

December 14, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
  12. David R Bebeau,Springfield Missouri

Well sure Jack,Its always better to have all views good or bad right or left out in the open.I think spirited debate is
    absolutely the way to go.Let each opinion and idea be heard as is.
    David

December 14, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  13. Ed from Texas

December 14, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  14. Jesse DFW

Freedom of speech, fools hate knowledge, one nation under God seek an understanding. Life is not about what people can do for you, it is what you can do for others. Our president is working hard for the poor, and quite frankly, ungodly people hate what he is doing. Who care's about Democrats or Republicans?

What about one nation under God with Liberty and Justice for all (No one cares about this any more)?

December 14, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  15. MYSTEROIUS

Personally, I find President Obama refreshingly intelligent. I also don't feel that he's "alienating people." I don't know what people expect, but I've been to several events hosted by President Obama since 2007. I find him very personable and caring. Each to his own. I suppose it depends on your perception.

December 14, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  16. Alex in Bremerton, WA

It sure sounds like a cheap shot from a congress critter who is retiring. President Bush had higher poll numbers as a guy you'd like to have a beer with. But I don't want the guys I drink beer with running the country! I want the professorial policy wonk attending to the details of government that would make my eyes glaze over. So, yes Jack, it is damaging for the president to be taking "friendly fire" from his own side.

December 14, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  17. Rich in Gainesville FL

One congressman's opinion isn't going to be damaging. What could be damaging is if voters see Obama the same way as the congressman does. On the other hand, if Gingrich is nominated it'll make Obama look positively charming.

December 14, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  18. Paul From Austin Texas

Jack just who listens to anyone in Congress these days. So it dosen't mean much.

December 14, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  19. Phyllis G. Williams

How damaging is it when a Democratic congressman criticizes
    President Obama as a "professor" who is arrogant and alienating?

Not damaging, but recommending, because a President is criticized
    for whatever he does, right or wrong, so when some say he is weak
    and others say he is 'arrogant and 'alienating' it is a compliment (smile).

December 14, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  20. Brian

Clearly it would be out of jealousy and immaturity that a congressman would turn to name calling of the PTOUS!

December 14, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
  21. Annie, Atlanta

I remember the President holding a town hall (don't remember the particulars) where a woman stood up and said she and her son were homeless. The President went to her and hugged her, telling her he would find her a place to live, and then did. That doesn't say arms length by any stretch. By the way, Cardoza is the former co-chairman of the House Democratic Blue Dog coalition. Why am I not surprised?

December 14, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
  22. CRAIG R. MCNEES

tampa, fl it's about time someone at least criticized
    this president. impeachment would be a better option for his many crimes.

December 14, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
  23. Michael Bindner, Alexandria, VA

It means the congressman is frustrated because most of the action is in the Senate, where he Democrats are in the majority but the Republican minority must be placated. Being in the minority in the modern House is just no fun.

December 14, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  24. MARK, OKLAHOMA CITY

Jack, I don't think Obama really wants to be re-elected. I think he secretly wants to be defeated so he can be given a professorship at a major LIBERAL university and then travel the world charging $100 Grand per speech. He would be much better off and so would America.

December 14, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  25. Paul - North Carolina

Not very damaging at all. Most people, like myself, have never heard of Mr. Cardoza; so why would we care what he thinks? My own congressman, also a Democrat, criticizes Obama and his administration constantly. But then he votes with the Republicans 90% of the time as well. I'd much prefer a professorial president to some dolt from Texas (Take your pick) who can't utter a complete intelligent sentence. And as for alienating allies, Obama pales in comparison to any of the remaining Republican contenders. Obama may well lose in 2012 but it certainly won't be the result of anything Dennis Cardoza says or does.

December 14, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  26. John from Alabama

Jack: Congressman Dennis Cardoza should retired, because he is tired. President Obama is more genuine than his precessor, and Congressman Cardoza must have missed President Obama at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, today. President Obama possesses the wisdom of a university professor, and the strenth of a North American Grizzly Bear. Mr. Cardoza must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed. It is ashame, Mr. Cardoza, want be around for President Obama's next term, because there higher mountains to climb to find the solutions Americans want today, and tomorrow.

December 14, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  27. Lori - PA

Jack,

That doesn't sound good. If that were me being criticized, I would make an effort to change how I conduct myself. But when was the last time you saw any politician change how they conduct themselves? The only way to affect change is to vote those currently in office out. Make it clear that business as usual has to change.

December 14, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  28. Doug Ericson

Congressman Cardozza has insulted the integrity of " Goat Rodeo Clowns", by comparing them to Republican Presidential Candidates. Shame on him. Doug. Pepperell, MA.

December 14, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
  29. Lonzel Smith in Lafayette, Louisiana

I think it's only damaging to the extent of the "mud slingers" taking it and running with it. That will be a deciding factor for a few who are looking for any excuse to be anti-Obama, however, not for the mainstream. Also, I think it's not fair to compare Obama to Clinton in that sense. First, they are different presidents with different styles of leadership. Second, Clinton didn't have the crisis level nor the opposition level Obama has. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

December 14, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  30. Brad, Portland, OR

As someone who leans Democratic, I think Obama could use some constructive criticism. I see nothing wrong with what the Congressman said.

December 14, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
  31. Gary H. Boyd

Jack, your question brings to mind the well known business adage that, for every person who takes the time to complain in writing, there are at least 16 others who feel the same way but simply don't bother. That would suggest there are more Democrats in Congress who agree with representative Cardoza but are not expressing their views.
    And that, having been said, portends trouble for Obama.

Gary in Scottsdale, Arizona

December 14, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  32. Ed from California

Not at all....I want someone smart in that job. Look at what's happened in the past.....end of Glass-Steagall, Wall st crash, borrowing money from a communist country, no economic prosperity, invading the wrong country, water-boarding, making it unsafe for us to travel abroad, freedom fries!! Besides Jack, a lot of democratic congress-folks who aren't on board in getting this country moving, will be calling a moving company in Jan 2013 and moving back to our reality......jobless and unemployed!!

December 14, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  33. Noel Sivertson New Mexico

Probably less damaging than what Republicans who have worked with Newt Gringich have to say about him.

Personally I would rather be a college proffesor than a president. I don't see why anyone would want the job myself. It's the best way to get almost a half a nation to find fault with you.

December 14, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  34. Terry in Virginia

I agree with Representative Cardoza. In 2008, I voted for hope and change but after the Inauguration, those words rang hollow as President Obama continued the Bush policies and gave us mandatory healthcare without a universal provision. I watched a President give speech after speech after speech and then followed up his fightin' words by caving in to almost everything the GOP wanted. He's done some good things, like ordering the hit on Bin Laden, but as I watch him speak, he seems cold, aloof and indifferent to the real suffering of the middle class and poor. He lectures but he doesn't lead. He's not the man I voted for in 2008. Candidate Obama and President Obama are two different people, and I don't know if I can trust either one with another term in office.

December 14, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  35. Loren

Not a bit. People who voted for Obama bought his message, which had nothing to do with reality, so reality isn't going to intrude on many of their votes this time either. I do find "goat rodeo clowns" amusing, but wonder at which of the Republican nominees it's directed, since only Perry seems to fit that bill.

December 14, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
  36. ken, atlantic city, nj

It is true but it will not be damaging to obama. The black, hispanics, and liberal donkeys don't seem to care that he has done nothing for them and continues to help international financiers who extract trillions of dollars from this country and contribute nothing of value in return.

December 14, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  37. Conor in Chicago

Democrats have never been afraid to call out their own in public. This is why this is news. Republicans march in lock step no matter how terrible their leader is (yes, I mean Bush). So the President takes a macro apporoach as opposed to a micro one? Big deal. He's getting things done. Bush was well like by people on a one on one basis and he destroyed America.

December 14, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  38. Zach

I've been finding that more and more our government is becoming polarized, with people in office the most radical of the party, elected to offset the the other party. I would like to see more politicians skeptical of their own party in order to keep the government in check and closer to the middle, but right now, with the way government is going, politicians can't say things against their own party. Everything that is said in today's society is stretched until the context is very hard to discern. This is a lapse that I'm sure will make it's rounds through the debates for the next couple of weeks.

Zach – Minneapolis, Minnesota

December 14, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  39. Larry in Houston

"The 5 ( FIVE ) TERM ??? Congressman from California ?? does 5 term mean anything to anybody ??

December 14, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
  40. Rick McDaniel

The Congressman was generous, at best. He could have been much more condemning.

My own view is that Obama suffers from delusions of grandeur, among other things. That is likely fostered by his party putting him on such a pedestal, that people actually think he walks on water. Of course, nothing could be farther from the truth.

December 14, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  41. Larry in Houston

Since he's "RETIRING" maybe he doesn't Care – he is doing the same thing people does , right before they Retire from somewhere they worked for 30 yrs. They say things such as : talk negative about all of the 'bosses' they've had over the last 30 + yrs. In other words, since they already know they've put IN their retirement paperwork, they feel like they can FINALLY SAY what they've really felt, for YEARS. I actually know people like that, Jack.

December 14, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  42. Kim , Dodge City, Kansas

Congressman who? From California? There isn't a politician alive today that would have more individual contact with the masses, unless it served them politically. I like Obama's attitude. It's more like, I won, you lost.

December 14, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
  43. Toni

Very damaging because he see how this man work first hand! How can you fight for people if you don't want to be around them? Would you go to a doctor who did not want to touch you, Jack?

December 14, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
  44. Carol Clark

Let's put it this way....After tearing the President apart, Cardoza is still voting for him..what does that tell us? We all know the GOP has probably the weakest bunch of candidates in many a moon. Cordoza may not like Obama, but he knows he's the the most viable person for the job of President.

December 14, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  45. Larry,Springfield,Ohio

Jack,why would this surprise anyone,citizens who are honest,have known since day one that President Obama is an aloof elitist.

December 14, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  46. Steve, Clifton, Virginia

Jack

I will bet you $10 that the congressman who criticized President Obama as arrogant and alienating is a white male who is of the opinion that any black male that is well educated, articulate and confident in himself is arrogant and alienating if he conducts himself in the exact same fashion as a white colleague of the same caliber. As a black male I have heard the same thing for more than 30 years in my profession. The President is assertive and I find it very attractive.

December 14, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
  47. Vinny in Connecticut

Cardoza's comments are part of a trend. People are starting to see that Obama is an "empty suit", "a cardboard figure" but still an arrogant one to boot! Those Obama voters in '08 were influenced by the mainstream media and celebrities like Oprah who "canonized" him as if he was "the second coming" while never vetting him. He had absolutely no credentials- he voted "Present" in the Illinois Senate and ran for Pres. while in the US Senate; had friends like American terrorist Bill Ayers and Marxist Jeremiah Wright and Van Jones, and on and on.
    Obama's policies are destroying our country and turning the US into socialist, second rate nation. I guess this was the CHANGE he campaigned on in '08!!

December 14, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
  48. David

I would rather have a professor in the Oval Office than a fool, a nitwit, or an aggressive blow hard. Also, seeming arrogant and behaving arrogantly are two different things. Obama has been willing to compromise and seek counsel from various sources in order to handle the huge challenges our country is facing which the opposition has proven completely incapable of doing. We need someone who thinks clearly and rationally at the helm.

December 14, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  49. Mycroft Lake Travis Texas

It all depends Jack on how many other Democratic Congressmen feel the same way. The old adage " You can't please all the people all the time", comes to mind on this particularly. What motivates him, one can only speculate. I have been hard on President Obama many times, what motivated me was that I trying to get him to keep his campaign promises and after three years,we are finally seeing him keep one. It is a big one, we are finally getting out of Iraq, and after watching his speech to the troops at Fort Bragg today, he was convincing enough to bring tears of joy to my eyes, as well as tears of sadness for those killed, wounded and their families. I'm happy this President does make time address large crowds, over singular congressmen. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of a few. I'm sure this congressman will be getting an audience with the President soon, because the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Lets just hope he's got something worth while to discuss with the President.

December 14, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  50. Randy

How can you not be alienated when you have Warren Buffett, bill gates, and Oprah Winfrey over for drinks? The powers that be require you to be alienated from regular people in order for you not to feel anything for them. Salmon, lobster, and prime rib don't go down so well if you have a dinner guest who has to return to the projects or a trailer park sitting next to a 26 year old Internet billionaire who pays 15% in taxes.

December 14, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  51. Dennis north carolina

despite the comment from the congress man, they cry tears like a children because he refuses to do their job!!!!!!!! wake up and do your job before you comment on the president.

December 14, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  52. s in fl

Depends on the "Democrat", Jack, especially when we're talking about one who is actually commended for his conservative voting record by the Tea Party and Freedom Works as a "Top Blue Dog" on their website "The Blue Dog Pound". Consider the source maybe?

December 14, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  53. Bubba, ATL

It's not like you can be kicked out the Democratic Party for not following the Party Line 100% like you can with the GOP. The Dems are a group of fellow travelers all going the same way to different places, not an army of Brownshirts marching with one thought in mind. Ever seen a bunch of elephants going single file, each trunk holding a tail, all following some leader they can't see with no way to stop?

December 14, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  54. Karl in Flint

Cardoza is right. Obama has had great ideas, but hasn't SOLD them to the people. He has let the GOP lead the way on many things that he should have called them out on. Health care for one. All the death panel lies and other irrational pandering and bold faced lies from Palin and the like and not much disputing it from the White House. BUT, I don't think this comment will damage the president's campaign. Looking at the current GOP clown act should make one wonder where we would be now if McCain and Pain had won and that we are still a lot better off and maybe should not take the GOP as seriously as some do.

December 14, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  55. Jim, Cranford NJ

Based upon Congress' overall perfomance I think a few lessons from a professor couldn't hurt. It seems that this pupil is speaking when he should be listening.

December 14, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  56. calaurore9

Hmmm. Professor or clown? Those are our choices? What about Huntsman? He's smart, sane and has done stuff.

Carol in Northampton Ma

December 14, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
  57. Bill of New Mexico

Very.

With evolution being taught in the universities, the voter is very angry at the professors leading their children astray.

But, this congressman nailed a lot of Obama's faults.

In the 2008 primary, Clinton had stated that Obama needed experience.

Clinton was correct.

Obama is not even learning.

December 14, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
  58. joshua

the real damage is what this "professor" is doing to the country. We now see Democrats standing up and saying wait, the good of the country is better than the good of the party. It takes courage for a Democrat to criticize Obama. How long will he last?

December 14, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  59. Dave, Orlando, FL

Nothing can not be any more damaging than whatever damage Obama has done to himself by being both completely inept at “presidenting” and not even trying to do a single thing he promised during his first two years in office.

December 14, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  60. Richard Texas

This congressman is only saying what many others think but are too afraid to orate for fear of being ostracized. Obama has absolutely no problem talking to groups and large audiences and in fact he excels at it but he lacks the ability to deal one on one with people. That is why he can not get even one republican to work with him. He and the republicans simply refuse to compromise because both are in a fight for their political lives. Meanwhile the American people are the ones who suffer for it. It is no longer about honor and country. It is about having a job to go to tomorrow.

December 14, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  61. Bizz, Quarryville Pennsylvania

Maybe it is because after eight years of George Bush they are not used to being talk to by someone with intelligence.

December 14, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
  62. Michael From NY

Jack,

A politician being arrogant, that's piratically in the job description. He has to communicate with Congress better and get more involved to get the work of the people done. One congressman isn't going to do much damage but if he doesn't improve his communication the american people may teach him a lesson.

December 14, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  63. Robert from Canada

It sounds like the Congressman is a bitter old man with many personal issues that he should deal with. Would you rather have a President who is literate, educated and has a world view or one that is dumb and thinks the world revolves around the US? Clinton was one of the smartest, George W. one of the dumbest.

December 14, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  64. Thom Richer

It means Cardoza is not a Democrat at all...merely in name and convenience of being elected. It is because of Congressional "Democrats" such as Cardoza that Obama is unable to get things done. If you, as a colleague, in the same party have no backing of your president, then you are a mere obstructionist and cause more harm than good for your country. To openly and through the media, criticize and flaunt your disdain for your president, you must have a hidden agenda of your own and do not have the country's welfare at heart. Obama is bringing troops home, routing out dictators and terrorists and hopefully bringing an end to our wrongful occupation of foreign countries in wars that are illegal. political, for profit, immoral, economically devastating and criminal and have done more harm to the country since its founding and are the catalysts for our economic downfall. Yet, his own Congress denies him his accomplishments for their own political gain. Past administrations are to blame for where America is today. Obama has been left to clean up their greed driven policies. The least Congress can do is offer loyalty and support.

Thom Richer
    negaunee, MI

December 14, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  65. Pete from Georgia

Damaging to who ?
    The truth hurts most of the time.
    Cardoza should be praised thruout the land for telling the truth.

December 14, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  66. Colleen

I think it's damaging, to Congressman Dennis Cardoza .

December 14, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  67. Michael, from Smiths, Alabama

I don't believe its very damaging, Jack. It's about as damaging as saying that Mitt Romney, as a Mormon, is not Christian. Perhaps that's what's needed right now, an Obama who acts more like a professor. If Cardoza feels that Obama has the 'I'm right, you're wrong' attitude, it may be because in many cases..HE IS. I'm willing to bet the entire federal deficit that if a Republican is elected president, in two years we'll realize that Obama was right, but by then it'll be too late.

December 14, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
  68. Pete/Ark

"O.K. I've got my fat retirement vested,I'll never be chosen for a higher office,Obama never did like me anyway so since I've got nothing to lose...ppfffffffffftttttt...I'll make a rude noise as I run away." Words to be etched in clay from whatizname,

December 14, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
  69. Angela Bailey, Chicago

I really like this president, and believe that he neither seems "professorial" nor "arrogant". Instead, he seems, approachable, and likeable. His biggest problem thus far has been that he has not found a way to counter this outrageous congress that's been holding this country hostage. More to the point, I have to wonder why Democrats like Cardoza et al continue to kick each other, while Republicans hold us down, and in answer to your question, Jack... I don't think that it means anything, just politics as usual.

December 14, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  70. Charles - San Antonio

I find it refreshing. Everyone naturally assumes that all democrats stick together, regardless of what they really think. We need more politicians who will say what they really believe, regardless of party affiliation. Wouldn't it be great if on the big issues that really mattered, policitians would make thier own decisions instead of voting based on party politics.

December 14, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  71. Scott Stodden

Congressman Cardoza Is Just One Man Who Said These Things Jack! President Obama Has Done What He Can So Far To Help Our Nation, We Are Beginning To Come Out Of This Mess That George W. Bush Left Us In 2009 And When President Obama Came Into Office He Saved This Nation From Collapse And Disaster And He's Worked Tirelessy To Continue To Improve The Country By Passing The Stimulus That Did Create And Save Jobs, He Also Passed A Good Quality Affordable Health Care Bill For Everyone Without Health Care, He Made A Unpopular But Right Decision When He Bailed Out The Big Banks And The Auto Industry, He's So Done More For This Country Than Anybody Else Could've Done And He Did Everything Smart And Correct Even Bill Clinton Says We're On The Right Track! Re-Elect President Obama In 2012 Cuz We Can't Afford To Go Back To The George W. Bush Republican Ways That Got Us Into The Mess We're In Now!

Scott Stodden (Freeport, Illinois)

December 14, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
  72. Gigi Oregon

I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. I do not see President Obama as arrogant is see him having the fruits of the Spirit which we Christians are taught to emulate. I see Gingrich as arrogant. So as one who voted for John Mccain the last time around. This time I'm voting for a kinder and less arrogant man. President Obama will receive my support now and in November in 2012. I'm tired of seeing the middle class get poorer and the rich richer.

If you look at the news and learn what has been going on in government the Last DOZEN years how can we wish/vote the Republicans back into office to finish us off.

December 14, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  73. Derrel Walters

The truth hurts. However, I will bet $10,000 that Congressman Cordoza changes his tune about at least one of those Rodeo Clowns. You know who I am talking about.

_______ _______ 2012!

Derrel Walters

December 14, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  74. wayne, va beach, va

Doesn't say much for the Pres., but it says to me that there one truthful Democrate in Washington.

December 14, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  75. Mark (Boston)

Frankly it's not damaging, it's down right insulting to professors.

But, what difference does it make. The "New Grinch" Newt will win the primary
    and both he and Obama will lose to Ron Paul on a third party ticket.

Mark (Boston)

December 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  76. Jesse

Jack, I don't find it damaging in the least; considering the mindset of the average Democrat. But the congressman has hit the nail squarely on the head. The adjectives used to describe Obama are accurate and true. Can't wait to see what happens in 2012.

Jesse in Brookeland, Tc

December 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  77. ann dalpiaz

You can always be sure that when Obama enters a room, he is the least qualified person there. He has no experience running anything. He is only good at campaiging and pulling the wool over peope's eyes with his smotth talking. He's never had a real job, nor had to meet a payroll. He knows nothing about business or the economy.

December 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  78. Genine Willis-Parker

Why is everyone downing a brillant man. I think that this congressman is jelious. This will not hurt the President. We will be having him for another 4 to 8 years. Because when his term is up Joe Biden will run. At least I hope he will.

December 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  79. Teresa, Alaska

Personally, I feel this is true about Obama. He promises something and never delivers. I am sick of promises not being met. Gingrich in my opinion is the same. I hope that Obama is only a four term President and we get someone else in the White House that actually cares about Americans and gets the job done!

December 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  80. Tes Stone

How many times have we been treated to "loming clean" by an OUT-going member of Congress? And, what I read here is a lightweight politico who is actually miffed at the lack of personal attention the President gave him. Stuff and nonsense! Won't be buying his book!

December 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  81. Jerome from Louisville

It's enormously damaging...to Cardoza, that is. It's akin to saying "Hi, let this serve as my two week notice".

December 14, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  82. Adam

President Obama has brought this democrat-on-democrat scorn on himself by not keeping his campaign pledges, closing Guantanamo Bay, ending the wars, etc. This puts ALL democrats between a rock and a hard place of criticizing their president, and the leader of their party vs. telling their voters what they want to hear. It'll be fun to watch President Obama debate Ron Paul later this year!

December 14, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  83. I.L. Jackson baltimore

It would be damaging if the average American knew who this guy was. But most of us don't. Love them or hate them both Barack Obama and Newt Gingrich are smart men. Remember when we used to value that instead of denigrating it. Maybe we'd all be better off if the nerds had a shot at running the country. The jocks haven't done so well.

December 14, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  84. John from Denver

I don't think this is very uncommon. Democrats fight Democrats and Republicans fight Republicans. So personally, I don't think this matters. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

December 14, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  85. Mitch Dworkin - Dallas, Texas

This is why I think Democrats should not be overconfident regardless of what they see in the GOP field and it is also why I think that Democratic strategists like Jamal Simmons publicly saying "I think every time the White House sees the Republicans sort of get up on the stage they probably become a little less afraid of each one" is political malpractice.

December 14, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  86. Jason from PA

I don't think a Democratic Congressman's criticism of President Obama as a Professor who is arrogant is damaging at all. While building relationships with Democrats in Congress is critical, voting on critical issues will still come down to partisanship leading up to the election.

December 14, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  87. ann dalpiaz

The representative is only being truthful because he's not going to run for election. You can bet if he was running for election, he wouldn'[t be talking about the "annointed one" with such honesty.

December 14, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  88. Buzz from Texas

It sounds like Congressman Cardoza didn't get invited to the White House often enough. If the worst thing he can call President Obama is "professor," then we should not be concerned. It has been a great relief to have a president who is articulate and deliberative. He is not zany, to use a current word. He represents the United States well, and he has significant accomplishments to which he can point.

I hope the Congressman enjoys his retirement. It sounds like he needs it.

December 14, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  89. Fred Krider

Arrogant and alienating? Hardly. Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld epitomized those not-so-endearing qualities. Compared to them, President Obama is a warm, fuzzy puppy.

December 14, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  90. Grant_Michigan

Mr. Cafferty,
    I think it is perfectly legitimate for a democrat to be critical of another democrat, and vice-versa. It is much more damaging to our political system for the pols to tow party lines rather than challenging their peers to be better. Its easy to insult an enemy, its far harder to critique a friend. I think Obama could use this to his advantage and change the way he approaches governing. Republicans could learn from this example and provide legitimate feedback to members of the GOP other than clamoring about whether a particular pol is conservative enough or not.

December 14, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  91. SteveinSacramento

Perhaps the Congressman can stay after class with Professor Obama and discuss how he can do his job better... Maybe he should just go back to congress and actually get something done. The country needs people on both sides to work together instead of bickering. The country asked for a President who can unite the parties but as usual, the patience of Americans has lasted the length of a commercial break and now they want something different.

December 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  92. Adam j

Well jack, I don't believe its damaging at all. People that support the president are going to support him despite negative criticism regardless of which side it comes from.

December 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  93. Tillie / Texas

I think the congressman should be booted out of his seat for not supporting President Obama. I think some of the democrats are spineless and have no guts to make hard decisions and I do not trust them. The President has to battle the Republicans without any support from the wimps (democrats)! At least the Republicans stick together. I give them that much credit.

December 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  94. Michael in Albuquerque, NM

Damaging to the congressman that would make such a stupid comment. But the fact is Obama is an actual professor. He taught a class on the constitution, and wrote the Harvard Law review. He has a perogative to be professorial. As President of the United States and leader of the free world he has earned the power to be a little arrogant.

December 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  95. Dirk in Ohio

I myself am a professor so maybe I'm the wrong person to comment. The Republicans hold positions on climate, economic stimulus, etc that are not supported by a shred of real empirical evidence. Is it arrogant to point this out?

December 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  96. David

Sour Grapes. He is not getting enough support from his constituants to run for office again and is just trying to give a mighty punch to one that has and will succeed.

December 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  97. Steve

I think the comment is spot on!! I've been lifetime democrat and voted for Obama thinking he was truly different.....I actually bought into his speech. Biggest regret of my life!! I'm still a democrat but I will definitely vote for one of those less than desirable republican candidates than to have Obama for another 4 year. Obama is all form with no substance. Great speech maker but absolutely nothing, nil as a leader.

December 14, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  98. Karen, Idaho

I;m glad to hear that Mr. Cardoza is retiring–we don't need his kind of Democrat. President Obama is finally starting to stand up for his views and the views of his fellow Democrats against the Republican backwoods ideology. He has my vote in 2012.

December 14, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  99. Bryan Colorado Springs

The President deserves the feedback he is getting from Dems in congress. He did an end around on them when he started negotiating the debt ceiling debacle with Rebublicans, as if the Dems were toxic to him in some way. Obama
    is not a fighter he proves this time and again. He doesn't show any committent to standing the ground the Dems have been fighting for as long as I remember. I hate to say it but he only gives lip service and nothing more. He needs to
    get out of the way so the Dems in congress can fight for the rights of the middle class. All he does is give in to the Republicans in congress. As if to put up a false view that he is actually working with congress fairly for the rights of
    the middle class. Ya thats the ticket. Just talking about his presidency gives me a head ache.

December 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  100. christine lavin

In Denver

Congressman Cardoza's comments show that people on the Left are not afraid to speak their minds and engage in lively debate, even if their comments disparage the leader of their own party. Obama can take it. He's been called lots worse than this - though, you have to wonder how low has our political system sunk that calling someone "a professor" is an insult. I, too, would take a professor over a rodeo clown any day.

December 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  101. joe mcaleer

boy, is this right on. i always wondered what the disconnect was between president obama and the republicans. it makes sense now. he's that brilliant professor i had in college who pontificates from his throne, and does not care a bit if he connects with the average student. he knows all, and is intellectually arrogant. bonita springs, fl

December 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  102. Ross - Toronto

Jack....if you were the Democrat, the comment might be damaging. Any other Democrat, the comment is meaningless. President Obama is back, he is real, he is ready for another 4 years and there is no one on the Republican side that has a fair chance to win....bet you $10,000...Canadian of course....

December 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  103. Gary D

I think arrogant is being too polite. I love it when Obama is giving a speech and then puts his chin up, and his nose in the air – scans the room, looking for approval. Kinda' reminds me of what Mussolini did when he gave a speech. Oh, what the heck - "LET'S BLAME BUSH".

Gary – Nevada

December 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  104. gil vazquez

Cardoza is a Democratic Tranny... A blue dog Democrat that dresses, thinks and votes as a Republican. Why don't they just come out of the closet and quit professing that they are true democrats?

December 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  105. Tyler- New Jersey

Not damaging at all. Any Congressman has the right to criticize any politician of any party. The difference with liberals is that we can take criticizm of our own. We encourage the exchange of ideas regardless if we agree. Conservatives, on the other hand, will not stand for it and will shun any discention among the ranks. President Bush summed it up well: You're either with us or against us.

December 14, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  106. Josh

This just shows that he is slowly losing his own Support Base. He needs to realize that he is NOT an economist, not a veteran, and not even a Moderate Democrat. For him to alienate his own Party is the last move he wants to make, but considering he's already alienated the Constitution from his political library of policy making, that was the next step.. His economic ideas stem directly from the failed school of Keynesian Economics. The only clear candidate in my view as well as my fellow service members is Dr. Ron Paul. The President, as well as all the rest of the Republicans, with the exception of Congressman Paul of course need to brush up on Friedman, Hayek and Mises.

December 14, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  107. HURRICANEPAUL from Hawaii

Jack, the damage to Obama is not being caused by Congressman Dennis Cardoza.

Three years ago, while doing a "60 Minutes" interview, Obama said "If things don't get better in three years, I will be a one-term president."

His refusal to address the Fast & Furious scandal is proof of his inability to lead his administration.

Face it Jack, Obama, someone with zero prior execurive experience, had no business being the president and people from his own party turning on him is just the beginning of the end for Obama.

December 14, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  108. Dennis

A Congressman looking for a few minutes of fame!

December 14, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  109. Bill-Atlanta

I am sure Rep. Cardoza's comments are shared by many others in the House and Senate, and surely by many who voted to elect the President in 2008. The President's approach from day one was to pontificate and avoid getting into the nasty scrum with the Democrats in Congress. Nancy Pelosi may put on a better face, but no Speaker has been treated so poorly by a President from her own party as she and her colleagues during the health care, debt ceiling and most other prtisan battles.
    Perhaps, President Obama and his inner circle can reverse roles and learn from Congressman Cardoza's diatribe. That would not be damaging at all.

December 14, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  110. Susan from Idaho

I think he will be considered a Benedict Arnold. Let him eat cake.

December 14, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  111. Nate, UT

A single Democratic criticism is FAR less damaging than the entire GOP, along with their voters, refusing to fully support their own nominees.

December 14, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  112. Steve in Las Vegas

It's not damaging at all Jack! When congress has an approval rate of just 8% it's probably best that Congressman Cardoza shut his mouth and concentrate on his own problems. Even an 8% approval rate seems to be way too high as far as I am concerned.

December 14, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
  113. Chuck

When you continue to torpedo a ship that is already sinking it is only redunant. This country will not allow this ship to stay afloat for another four years...

December 14, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
  114. Larry Seeley

I think it's healthy, and he has a point. I'd like the president to look into the camera or at the audience when he speaks. I'd like him to adopt some of the old FDR or Truman fire. Everything in life or politics is not explainable through logic. some of it has to come from the guts, and the president doesn't deliver. I'll vote for him, but I agree with Cardoza-there isn't much to choose from in the other camp. Santa Fe, NM 2011

December 14, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  115. Valerie in Ohio

This is really nothing new since Time Magazine's Joe Klein referred to Obama as a "classic loner" years ago. Joe said that when Obama received the Nobel Prize, no one rallied around him and added that Obama spends much time alone, in general. Joe contrasted him with Clinton, who he said was often surrounded by people, and relished reaching out to others.

December 14, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  116. Mitch

Pres Obama is an articulate man who is working against an obstinate right wing extremist gruop hijaking this country to the point of almost forcing a default.If a democratic congressman wants to call him a professor for trying to articulate things from a balanced perspective then so be it!
    Mitch Thousand Oaks CA

December 14, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
  117. Carol Keltner

I live in Cardoza's district. So happy that he is retiring from a dismal career which has done nothing to help his district. He is a Republican in disguise...the worst kind. Since he is basically a nobody that has done nothing but take up space and money from the taxpayers, he just pushed those that know him and of him, closer to Pres. Obama.

December 14, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
  118. Dale N.M.

Hello Jack

Since this congressman is retiring he can pretty much say what he thinks, the question begs to be asked how many other Democratic Congressmen and Senators think the same thing, but this congressman left out one word clueless.

December 14, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
  119. Bill Notre Dame City, IN

The more I watch various news and business channels the more I come to believe that Obama will not be reelected because of inability to lead and grab the bull by the horns as well as he just became another typical politician just like the rest.

December 14, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  120. SamHouston

Why say this as you're leaving office?
    In the beginning, this Socialistic (sarcasm) President wanted to make it clear that change was coming. This itself alienated him. Arrogant in the sense not knowning that true facts, and getting hand me downs from pass administrations.
    People should realize this, and understand what has happen in US Congress.
    Blocking the procedure in the government, instead of working together for the people.
    More self interest within government to re-elect their party... And to hell with the issues.

Sam Houston

December 14, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  121. John

So Obama is arrogant, according to Cardoza. Why not throw Newt, Begala, Gergen, Clinton, and Carville into the mixture since they are too college professors anyway.

December 14, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  122. John-Taden, from Rocksprings WY

Jack, if we should take Congress man Cordoza's words for it, then I remember he also said he'd "take 'Professor' Obama over the 'goat rodeo clowns' the republican field offers", so there's not so much damage to President Obama.

December 14, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
  123. John-Taden, from Rocksprings WY

Jack, I think President Obama is a wise man, he doesn't want to be seen with people with low rating.

December 14, 2011 at 5:53 pm |