Which GOP candidate – Romney or Gingrich – is more likely to beat Pres. Obama?
December 1st, 2011

Which GOP candidate – Romney or Gingrich – is more likely to beat Pres. Obama?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

It's a high stakes game the Republican nominees for president are playing. If the election was held today, President Obama would likely lose. At this moment he is vulnerable and then some.

A recent Gallup Poll puts President Obama's approval rating almost three years into his first term lower than any other president in modern history...including Jimmy Carter. That's being vulnerable and then some. Jimmy Carter?

Gallup has President Obama's approval at 43%. The only other president in modern times with an approval rating almost that low was Lyndon Johnson - 44%... and he didn't run for a second term.

Over on the Republican side, Newt Gingrich has to be scaring the hell out of long-time presumed nominee Mitt Romney.

Gingrich has jumped to the top of the pack in national polls - and he's leading in key early voting states like Iowa and South Carolina.

And check out these numbers in the critical swing state of Florida:

A new American Research Group poll shows Gingrich with 50% to Romney's 19%. That's a 39-point jump for Gingrich since last month. If numbers like these hold in a state like Florida, it may be difficult for any of the other candidates to touch Gingrich.

Actually at this point it's probably safe to say the Republican nomination boils down to a race between Romney and Gingrich.

A recent CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll shows 40% of Republicans think Romney has the best chance of beating President Obama. 21% say Gingrich. But maybe this particular poll didn't ask you... so we will.

Here’s my question to you: Which Republican candidate – Mitt Romney or Newt Gingrich – is more likely to beat President Obama?

Tune in to the Situation Room at 5pm to see if Jack reads your answer on air.

And, we love to know where you’re writing from, so please include your city and state with your comment.

1. Scott from Bloomington

Neither....but seriously, neither.

December 1, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
  2. Larry -Denver

Neither, but if Chris Christie ever comes to light, he has a shot. The flip floppers don't stand a chance.

December 1, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
  3. Daniel Wiley

How about a Romney/ Paul ticket? It may sound weird but think about it this way, the republicans have a hard time believing in Mitt in order for him to gain credibility is having paul veep for him. This way the republicans don't have to worry about a spoiler. I am a paul supporter and I would rather vote for a romney paul ticket than that of a Newt ticket.

Daniel from Indianapolis, In

December 1, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  4. Noe

Neither would beat Pres Obama. If they were smart they would jump out of the race all together. It's like Bill Maher said, if the current Pres told the republicans they had good looking faces they would all blow their faces off with a shot gun. If they were smart they would throw their support behind john huntsman. He doesn't disagree with Pres Obama because the Pres is who he is or a democrat, he disagrees with real issues and one he really thinks matters.

December 1, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  5. Michael Danahy

That's simple. Neither. Obama will be win a second and well deserved term – no matter how many times you ask the same question, the answer is the same Jack. Give it up.

December 1, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  6. Jk from Minnesota

I would'nt want either of them to beat Obama – I don't EVER want to see a situation where Republicans hold the White House and 2 houses of Congress. We are still reaping the bad economic consequences from the last time this happened in the Geo Bush years.

Frankly, this possibility scares me especially with such a far right wing control of the Republican party now. Just look at what has happened this year in the States that have Governors and legislatures that are all Republican controlled.

Wake up electorate.

December 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  7. Gary H. Boyd

I'd give Romney the nod but believe there's an even more powerful figure in the wings and that is Condeleezza Rice.Her background in foreign affairs coupled with Romney's business experience as VP would be a formidable ticket. The GOP needs to draft Rice and encourage Romney as VP. I can see the bumper sticker now – RICE and ROMNEY IN 2012. Obama wouldn't stand a chance.

Gary in Scottsdale, Arizona

December 1, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  8. Bernie

Neither. Now Ron Paul - Yes! He is the only one with a 3-digit IQ
    Houston, TX

December 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  9. Kevin SD CA

Gingrich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His ability to define is superior.

December 1, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
  10. Joe

They're both flip floppers. They're both Obama-lite. I'm tired of the false choices. Ron Paul 2012!

December 1, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  11. Michael Bindner, Alexandria, VA

Romney if he picks Perry as VP has the best chance. Gingrich will never get the cross-over voters needed to be nominated (or elected). Until Newt starts getting local party officials to start endorsing him, I don't see him going too far. When he starts opening local campaign offices and actually doing the work to win the nomination, please let us know. Until then, he wears the title of dilitante well.

December 1, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  12. Barbara Leavitt

Newt Gingrich and the Contract on America started this division as a political weapon. Hatred for your fellow American sold as the cure for the nation's ills. He introduced a disease into the country we have never recovered from. Let us pray this man isn't elected.
    Henderson Nevada

December 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  13. MARK, OKLAHOMA CITY

Hopefully, Gingrich will be the nominee. He would eat Obama alive in a series of Debates. In fact, I would be willing to bet my vast future Social Security trust fund that Obama will not Debate Newt if he is the nominee. Just wait and see!

December 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  14. Jayne in NH

I'm not a huge Obama fan – he's not liberal enough for me – but I don't see either Gingrich or Romney beating him. Gingrich is most likely the flavor of the week and Romney is despised by a large segment of his party. As John Lennon might say, "strange days indeed."

December 1, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  15. RayDan

I dislike both. Ron Paul is my choice :]

December 1, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  16. Christopher Pelton

I'm not sure why this question is being asked. I thought we were done with the "lesser of two evils" mentality...I guess I was wrong.
    The only candidate qualified to be the next President of The United States is Congressman Ron Paul.
    Christopher Pelton
    Agoura Hills, CA

December 1, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  17. Noel Sivertson New Mexico

Romney. Given how the tea party is rapidly dropping in the polls ad disenchanting those who voted for them in 2010 someone more center right will attract more independents. Mitt Romney, despire his flip-floppong, comes across as a more honest candidate than Newt Gingrich. For me that's the deal maker.

December 1, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  18. Pat in Michigan

I believe it is Romney. He looks like a statesman and doesn't come with the baggage that Mr. Gingrich has.
    That being said.I believe the more important question should be "who will be our representatives in Congress".They are the ones holding up progress.

December 1, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
  19. Richard Texas

Romney hands down. Not because Romney is anything fantastic but because who the hell would elect a man named after a lizard as president. I Mean "Newt" come on !!!. The Geico Gecko has a better chance on a ballot then "Newt". I couldn't keep a straight face pulling the lever. Maybe if his name was Kermit or Miss piggy but no way in hell would I vote for a guy named "Newt" as the leader of the free world.

December 1, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  20. Nick

Steamboat Springs, CO. Neither! Neither one can beat Obama without the 20% of GOP voters who refuse to vote for anyone who is not a real conservative. How about Ron Paul? I think some people are in for a surprise come the Iowa primaries.

December 1, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
  21. Pete from Georgia

I'd love to see them BOTH elected. Gingrich for his political skills, both past and present, and Romney for his business acumen, to work with corporate business leaders.
    A great team regardless of how hard the liberals will try to demonize and destroy them.......................their ONLY contribution to America.

December 1, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
  22. Doug Ericson

Your question should be which one of the two, will lose to Obama by more, or by less. The Republican Establishment doesn't want a Republican in the White House in 2012, because they know we will be in a deep depression soon. How do they accomplish that? Easy. Back a Puffed Rice Brain GQ Poster Boy like Mitt, and make sure no one serious runs against him, in the primaries. The republicans will concentrate on keeping the House, and winning the Senate, gaining control of the country, while Obama and the Democrats take the heat for big time Unemployment and Housing Prices headed for the canyon floor. The picture couldn't be any clearer. Doug, Pepperell, MA.

December 1, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
  23. Richard35 Canfield, Ohio

You mean which flip-flopper? Neither one .Americans are on to the Republican Reality Show Case !

December 1, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
  24. Diane

Neither. The independents will not support either of them and the Paul supporters will not support any other GOP nominee. The republican party keeps shooting themselves in the foot.

December 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  25. Luke

That is a loaded question. It assumes that one of the two will be the nominee, and intentionally ignores the 3rd front-runner that has a better chance than both of them at beating Obama: Ron Paul.

December 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  26. Dave

Neither of those phonies have a chance to beat Obama! Ron Paul 2012!!

December 1, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  27. James Glenn

This is a misleading question. If Gingrich or Romney were to be in the oval office, nothing would change. Only Ron Paul would effect serious change for the good of our country. A vote for Gingrich or Romney is simply asking for more of the same failed policies that Bush and Obama have brought to our once great nation.

December 1, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  28. Travis Kirkland

Ron Paul is the most likely to beat Obama.

December 1, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  29. Larry in Texas

Which is more likely to beat Obama ??? Romney, of course !! If you take a poll, or just talk to regular blue collar people, they will tell you that they do not want Obama IN for a 2nd term. But a lot of the Independents will end up staying home and Not Vote, IF a right wing, or evangelical gets the nomination, so, bottom line, the Tea Party & the ultra conservatives will end up getting Obama re-elected. I'm a Democrat from a Republican State, even though my vote won't count much, I will Vote for Anybody that is towards the middle, but Not Gingrich ! ( or Bachman, for that matter ! ) Otherwise, If the ultra-conservatives end up nominating anybody else than Ron Paul, or Romney, I guess I'm definitely going to Vote for Obama !

December 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  30. Randy

Newt for sure. Would love to see Newt debate Obama. Like a lamb to the slaughter. Newt would have him for lunch.
    Hampton, VA

December 1, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  31. Tom Bulger, Canandaigua, NY

They are both denounced as plastic, but of the two voters will find Gingrich the biggest phony. Now that Cain has proven too hard to swallow and been spit out, Gingrich's greedy conman schemes will start getting headlines above the fold. The Lodge of Dallas Texas will be the most famous gentleman's club in the country by next week and Gingrich will wish he'd never heard of it.

December 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  32. J Myer

Past behavior is an indicator of future behavior so people really need to take a serious look at Gingrich. He is an intelligent man which we all know and appreciate, but his past behavior, starting very young has been anything but intelligent. A man who cheats doesn't change, the troubles he had as Speaker speaks for itself, and his arrogance is the final straw! Women will not vote for him

December 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  33. Dan

None of the above! Ron Paul all the way. If the GOP nominates Gingrich or Romney, they can expect to lose most of Ron Paul's voting block, thus the general election, and frankly, if the GOP is stupid enough to NOT nominate Ron Paul, they deserve another four years of Obama. It'll be a "teachable moment", as it would be clear that they learned NOTHING in 2008.

December 1, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  34. david a dudenhoefer

Niether....Ron Paul is the only one with a substanitive position on many issues and is consistant.

david
    detroit, Mi

December 1, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  35. Tom - Florida

The president is no doubt an intelligent man, but intelligence alone can not hope to win on a one on one with Gingrich's Depth and Breadth of knowledge on top of his considerable intelligence. All it would take is one debate for the Obama campaign to implode. I'd pay good money to attend that debate.

December 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  36. Dave, Orlando, FL

Who cares? Even though Obama is a lousy president, no one will beat him; he’s too good a politician (and I don’t mean that in a good way). Also, we are much too masochistic to vote for some one who would be good for us like Clinton, Paul, Huntsman or Kucinich. After all we voted for Bush twice, at least the second time, fully aware that we were heading for the cliff.

December 1, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
  37. Nobama

Mitt Romney for sure. Newt has held consistent support. No major ups and down (he has constantly been 1st or 2nd). Also Gingrich cannot win over independents. Im not sure why he is leading as the "not romney" candidate because i figured evangilicals would have a problem with having multiple affairs (while trying to get Clinton impeached) and divorced twice. Romney can win over independents and beat Obama.

December 1, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  38. Gary

Where is the other option, I would like to have a C. Ron Paul, Newt scares me and Mitt doesn’t impress me. I can’t under good conscience keep believing that if we continue doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different result that things will turn out better.

December 1, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  39. Melissa

I will not vote for Obama, Romney or Gingrich. Newt is a sham who is only worried about how much money he can make by knowing inside secrets. Romney is just another millionaire who will only work for more of the same. Obama, well we all know where he stands. My vote will go for Ron Paul even if I have to write it in. He is the only one who understands WHY we are in a financial mess and he is the ONLY one who knows how to get us out of it.

December 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  40. christine dauzat

Houston TX. I will NOT vote for Gingrich, Romney or Obama. Not one of them has seriously addressed the spending/ debt issue. *I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.*
    Thomas Jefferson

December 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  41. Dave

Neither. Take a look at Google trends, it's clear that Ron Paul gets more interest than either candidate and also has more interest than President Obama. The real question is.. why wasn't Ron Paul included in the question?

December 1, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
  42. David in Mississippi

I think Newt, his lies are easier to swallow. His delivery is better and his wife Tiffany is never more than a few feet away.

December 1, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  43. Ed from California

Neither will beat him, Jack. The "Middle-Classer" w/a 20million dollar house in San Diego an a Corporate raider (not an Oakland Raider, either), or the, "I'm not a Lobbyist", I earn Sixty thousand dollars for a lecture.......is NOT going to win. If either do......well I guess I can get behind moving to Antigua for a spell.

December 1, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  44. Anthony

Neither. The Democrats will have a field day tearing them both up on their flip-flopping. The GOP needs to select someone with consistency who stands by everything he's said. That's neither Gingrich nor Romney. The only real choice with enough crossover appeal to steal the vote from Democrats and Independents is Ron Paul.

December 1, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  45. Justin P

Neither. Both have enough flip flops to fill Oprah's walk in closet!

December 1, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  46. Bizz, Quarryville Pennsylvania

If I had to choose I would choose Romney. At least you stand a chance that Romney would be more of the middle of the road candidate. He had to flip flop on the issues in order to please the tea party side of the republican party. Newt has a colorful past and a reputation as a Washington insider that people cannot forget. I would rather shoot myself than have to vote for Gingrich.

December 1, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  47. David

It's a false choice. There will be no substantive change if any of the 3 win. They all subscribe to the neo-conservative attitude's of excessive Executive Branch power, deficit spending, and world-wide American military footprint that are costing American taxpayers trillions of dollars. There is only one real choice to Restore America Now. #RonPaul2012

December 1, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  48. Frances

Neither. When people really learn more about the last two moles standing they will run from them as fast as they can. Romney who blows in the wind. Who changes his opinions and policies on almost everything. Putting his statements side by side over time is very amusing. Newt Gringrich also changes is mind to suit the occasion. Then he has the hypocrite problem. His multiple wives is troubling enough,but it's the having an affair before each divorce is troubling. What is worse is his trashing someone else for have sex while at the same time he is doing much worse.
    Fran
    Escondido

December 1, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  49. mike halter

Neither Jack' What about Bachman with Trump as her V.P. now that would be race. Just think about the S.N.L. skits

Michael Florida

December 1, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  50. Steve, NY

It's not who can beat Obama , it's who the Press wants to be the next President of USA.
    The Press finds away to bellitle the nominee so that they will loose. After the elections, the people find out that they got duped by the Press.

December 1, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  51. Ed from MD

I lean republican and wouldn't vote for either of them over Obama. I don't believe either would do anything significantly differently than Obama and since we'll already be paying secret service for Obama after he is out of office we might as well keep him for another 4 years. But Ron Paul would get my vote.

December 1, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  52. hooverguide, Riverside, CA

Still perplexed – out of 300+ million people – this is the very best we can do? I feel exactly the same as when I had to choose between a peanut farmer and an actor. Being a conscientious voter is not an easy job. Unless the GOP has another candidate waiting in the wings, neither of these two will rise to the occasion. President Obama will prevail.

December 1, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
  53. jim in seattle

Jack Which one. Neather .Both political insiders. I will vote oboma.!

December 1, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  54. Annie, Atlanta

Romney, the guy who craters jobs in the US, or Gingrich, the guy who sells himself for DC access to the highest bidder because he was once elected by the people. Yuck. When did the GOP become so morally and ethically challenged? Probably about the time greed became fashionable. We need a third choice, one who has yet to make an appearance. Question is, are there any decent Republicans left?

December 1, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  55. Jim, Denver CO

Jack,
    Neither one. The GOP ticket is so full of right wing wingnuts that any moderate republican will vote Democrat. John Huntsman is the only sane person in the race, but because he is too moderate (and intelligent) the hard core right wing of the GOP won't nominate him.

December 1, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  56. MYSTEROIUS

Two words: Neither one.

December 1, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  57. Jerry Singleton, Fayetteville, Tennessee

The right wingers that keep falling back to their next favorite candidate (Newt being the most recent) will vote for Romney in the general election, along with a lot of moderates and independents – there's no way that those moderates and independents will vote for Newt.

December 1, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  58. Brad, Portland, OR

Romney is more likely to beat Obama in the general election, but Republican primary voters REALLY don't want to nominate him.

So unless he wants to make a third party run after Newt becomes the Republican nominee, it's a moot point. Or, should I say, a "mewt" point🙂.

December 1, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
  59. Ken Victoria BC

Both are not electable for various reasons. There is no way the GOP and Tea Party policies will be accepted by the middle of the road voters.

December 1, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  60. Jacob

Ron Paul. Why should we only have two choices? Pick A or B. D or R. How about something actually different?

December 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  61. ken, atlantic city, nj

It doesn't matter; romney, gingrich or obama are all owned by wall street.

December 1, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  62. Ed from Texas

Hmmm, this is a tough one, Jack. Romney can't decide what his position is on the issues and Newt was telling us only a year ago that our greatest threat was Sharia Law. I choose None of the Above.

December 1, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  63. Bill of New Mexico

Who ever (Romney or Gingrich) runs against Obama, the Republicans will vote against Obama.

Independents are not happy with Obama, but who the Republican candidate is will make a difference in what percentage of the Independents votes against Obama. While Romney would get a lot of Independents' votes, Gingrich will not.

Ditto for the Democrats who are dissatisfied with Obama.

But, is Europe going to pull the U.S. into the dreaded double dip recession?

If the U.S. in in double dip recession next election, Obama can hardly win even against Gingrich.

In the general election, Romney will do much better than Gingrich against Obama. If the economy is recovering, Gingrich cannot beat Obama.

December 1, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  64. Peg from NY

Mitt trumps Newt for the win.

December 1, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  65. curtis in philadelphia

Great question, but I'm confused; beat Obama in what? Romney has already beat Obama to a universal health-care system and Gingrich has already beaten Obama in number of extra-martial affairs. Romney beats Obama in issue flip flops and Gingrich beats Obama in having more influence with Freddy Mac. However, I bet that Obama would beat both in a game of one-on-one basketball.

December 1, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  66. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Newt, Mitt, no Newt maybe Mitt. It depends on which way the wind is blowing as to who has the lead in the GOP. I still haven't decided which clown I'll vote for but I do know it won't be the GOP. Did you get that one.

December 1, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  67. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

This question makes me think that your considering a jump to the F network which would really sadden me a lot.

December 1, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  68. Carol Clark

It's really difficult to get a "take" on either Romney or Gingrich. Neither one of them are credible in many ways. Too bad the GOP didn't have a REAL candidate.

December 1, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
  69. pat, Idaho

How about Ron Paul? He has more brains than all of them put together.

December 1, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  70. wayne, va beach, va

Gingrich. He seems to know what he talking about and how to do things. We don't need to replace the one in office with another on that will need OJT.

December 1, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  71. Karl in Flint

Neither one can beat Obama and the only one who might have half a chance is Jon Huntsman but he's apparently not in GOP favor. Makes you wonder, considering the never ending clown act so far, if they really want to win or give themselves 4 more years for us to forget the Cheney and Bush disaster before they give it a serious try.

December 1, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  72. Dan Roveto

Who cares who "can" win the election for themselves. How about asking which candidate running will restore freedom and liberty to this country. At at time when laws are being passed to imprison US citizens without a trial indefinitely you're playing the game of treating this election like a sports contest. Why not ask which candidate is most likely to repeal the Patriot Act and repeal the 1031 provision in the NDAA.

December 1, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
  73. Dan in Albuquerque

Jck, I don't think either can take the general election and primarily for the same reason: true flip-flopping on issues. Mitt does qualifying statemetnts to make it appear he didn't change, but he did. Newt as been around long enough to try to appear contrite in his former liberal positions, but it is clear that he also has political principles that blow with the wind, especially his lobbying for millions. That doesn't even cover the evangelical concerns over Mitt's Mormonism and Newt's multiple affairs while was married.

December 1, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
  74. Tom Lus

Neither. I learned from my Grandmother that if you want to know a persons character, watch how they behave with their friends. They are so busy sniping at each other they don't seem to care about the people they want votes from. Not surprising, if you watch cspan and realize that they only have partisan agendas even when they are supposed to be representing us, I expect nothing from either democrats or republicans. It is about them, not us. Who cares? and I am sorry that I don't care anymore. NO WE CAN"T

December 1, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
  75. Kevin

Neither. If we want to change the dialog and get a qualified President we need to move toward Huntsman. Hopefully it is not too late. While I don't see the media as the boogy man they are made out to be the can shine a spot light on candidates and while it makes for good news to focus on Cain's womanizing, Perry's brain freezes, Gingrich's personal history and Romney's flip flopping I am hopeful that the people in the media also want a qualified President and will give Huntsman a little push. Our country needs to be run by an adult again and Huntsman looks to be the most mature out of the whole group.

December 1, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
  76. Nadim (West Lafayette, IN)

All three of them don't deserve to be president but Obama is the best out of the three and should beat anyone of them. But Romney will be a more serious competitor to Obama given that he doesnt have a as much 'baggage' and allegations as Gingrich.

December 1, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  77. Ray Richardson

Voters should have exactly the same exactly the same opinion of Romney and Gingrich, since it's hard to know where either stands on important issues. Oddly, Romney is called a flip flopper, but Gingrich announces different positions on the issues regularly without receiving the odious flip flopper tag. Since it's Romney carrying the repellant label, Gingrich would likely fare better against Obama.
    Ray from Greenfield, Indiana

December 1, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  78. Louise in Atlanta

Either can and will beat Obama. I don't believe the Obama administration, media or all the people living in the Washington bubble have any idea the depth of anger among average Americans who see their country, retirements, lifestyle and futures slipping away under the Obama presidency. I have never seen such anger and engagement in the political process by everyday Americans. I hear it from the grocery store to the workplace. Was just listening earlier today to two total strangers talking politics and anxiously anticipating the end of an Obama presidency while pumping gas. I hear similar discussions at the grocery store as total strangers lament the rising cost of groceries. If the current anger and heightened awareness of politics is any indication, Obama is spiraling toward the end of a one term presidency.

December 1, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
  79. Lori - PA

Jack,

Given that the Republican front-runner keeps changing, shouldn't you wait to ask this question? Especially as Bachmain, Cain, Perry, Paul, Santorum, and Huntsman are still in the race. For all we know, two months from now, Huntsman could end up being the front-runner.

December 1, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  80. Mitoosense Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Romney will get all the Reagan Democrat votes

December 1, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  81. andyz Lynn, MA

One is the incarnation of Janus, the two faced god. The other would do just about anything to make a dollar. The problem is that the Republican party does not have a candidate that will get my vote. Do I vote for the medicine show huckster or tthe man who is all things to all people. Sad.

December 1, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  82. Buster in Poughkeepsie, NY

Hey Uncle Jack, I have a great idea. When Republican primary voters go into the voting booth and pull that lever for Newt, it should trigger a recording that goes like this, "I Barack Hussein Obama do solemnly swear..."

December 1, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
  83. Brian, San Diego

Romney has the best chance of winning in a general election. Much as we despise it, there's a reason flip-flopping is such a viable strategy: people like being told what they want to hear all the time. Gingrich, however, has that specific combination of conservative delusions and tea party appeal that is perfect for both winning a Republican primary and losing a general election. Go Newt, give us 4 more years for Obama.

December 1, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  84. Horace

None !!!! Both are flip floppers, get real any of these 2 will flip USA over the best bidder.

December 1, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  85. s in fl

I don't think either is "likely" to beat Obama unless something major changes between now and the election. If the question were "Who has the least damaging baggage in a national election?", I'd say Romney without a doubt. Both come across as just going through the motions. Romney seems dispassionate and disconnected. Newt just seems to like hearing the sound of his own voice.

December 1, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
  86. calaurore9

Newt cannot. He's got more baggage than American Airlines. I thought Mitt could until I saw him with that other guy on that other network. Mitt thought he'd have a friendly chat. When he actually had to answer questions, he was annoyed and rattled. So, Jack. Neither one.

Carol in Northampton, Ma

December 1, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  87. Kirk (Apple Valley, MN)

Uh, neither one.

December 1, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  88. Eric from GA

Gingrich and Romney both should stay in the private sector and open a shop on the beach. Combined, they could fill a shopping center with thier flip-flops. So much that it undermines Jimmy Buffett's credibility. One thing is certain: it's 5:00 somewhere.

December 1, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  89. Jenny from Nanuet, New York

Neither. Both look strong only compared to the lesser candidates, Whoever has to compete with President Obama will be in a whole other ballgame, Obama is stronger than both of them in his convictions AND his intellect.

December 1, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  90. Gary - Woodhaven, Michigan

If Americans are looking for someone capable of honesty and high intelligence then neither should be able to beat Obama.

We delude ourselves these days when we think a President can really change anything on his own or even find a consensus. And as long as absolute ideology is more valuable than people, it will remain this way. This is Obama's despair and the loss of hope.

December 1, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  91. Paul - North Carolina

Actually, Jack, the GOP candidate with the best chance of beating Obama is Jon Huntsman. He is the most reasonable, most rational and, quite possibly, the most knowledgable of the eight contenders. He is also last in the polls of likely Republican voters. That should tell you all you need to know about the state of the GOP. Yes, Obama appears vulnerable. But neither the schizophrenic one nor the delusional grandiose "historian" have the credibility to capitalize on that weakness. Newt himself said there is no such thing as a perfect president. Obama certainly isn't; but he's still the best option availble.

December 1, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  92. Jeff In Minnesota

Who knows? Given this year's ups and downs with the candidates, I don't think anyone is going to be able to predict who will end up the GOP nominee.

December 1, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  93. Rex in Portland, OR

You ask for my opinion. That's a good thing since facts are few and hard to come by nowaday. The 4th estate, you know. . . .

I think neither could beat Obama a year or so from now. Right now, with all the hype and nonrebuttal flowing through John Doe's brain, probably either could. It is way too early to make a prediction – except for the pollsters who are paid handsomely, and the media, which is paid handsomely. The rest of us will just sit stand and wait and will be well served.

December 1, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  94. DeDe from NC

Neither. Romney would be the most boring president in the history of the union. Listening to him is about as exciting as watching paint dry. Gingrich will be dogged by all his affairs and shady finances. Still, I hope Gingrich is the nominee. He'd he a lot more entertaining.

December 1, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  95. Zac

Jack,

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. With over a month left to go before even the first caucus and primary, I think it is way too early to make any sort of judgements. Lets let the people decide who they want before we narrow down the options for them. Media should stop doing this because all it does is make it seem like a bet for the winner when it should be a vote for principles. Ron Paul 2012.

December 1, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  96. Tina Tx

Just hold onto your shorts cause they are not through dragging Newt thru the mud. His time is next once they unload Cain the womanizer. Gringich has baggage just like Herman and so far the feared Mormon is clean. Yes he looks like plastic but he has remained faithful to his wife which most women will go for.

December 1, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  97. Chuck from McFarland Wisconsin

Repubs will turn out to vote against Obama, no matter who the Repubs offer. The electability question comes down to which will appeal more strongly to moderate to right leaning Dems and independents. That would have to be Romney, which is supported by the most recent head-to-head poll numbers.

December 1, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  98. Pete from Florida

Be serious, Jack. If either of these integrity-challenged clowns were to actually gain the office of POTUS, it would be time for the rest of us to move to other countries.

December 1, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  99. john in Vermont

Gingrich dealings will not be able to stand up to scrutiny with all of his K Street ties and connections to Freddie and Fannie etc and that is just for openers–he just won't make the cut when hard investigations of his past are begun. Plus he is too conservative for most voters. So that leaves Romney, but he is too rich to win. How can you ask the middle class to vote for a guy who inherited his mega-millions when he offers the middle class nothing solid.

December 1, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  100. Roger in Dallas

Neither. One is too confused as to where he stands on the issues, the other is a megalomaniac who sees America in a 1950 rearview mirror. Yes, I am sure there are candidates out there who could give President Obama a run for his money, but neither of these two charlatons is that man. Get your act together republican party and work to find a worthy candidate in four years, but for now President Obama is the only choice – the others are too frightening to even think about.

December 1, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  101. Blake

I say a Romney/Gingrich or a Gingrich/Romney ticket would beat Obama in a fashion reminscent of 1980. Gingrich and Romney on the same ticket would be appealing to all aspects of the GOP and a large chunk of the independent voters.

December 1, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  102. Denny from Tacoma

None of the above. It is very clear that it is the Republicans who have messed things up in reference to lack of jobs due to outsourcing and our overall economy. As is happening in the House of Representatives, putting the Republicans back in charge to stonewall progress for an economic recovery has proven futile. It appears that it is the Republican way or the highway and it is time that we send them on the highway.

December 1, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  103. Michael, from Smiths, Alabama

Are you serious, Jack? I'm actually enjoying the fact that Gingrich and Romney are going at it in a Republican version of the Clinton-Obama vote war of 2009...add to that the fact Ron Paul is attacking both of them, Bachmann has gone silent, and Huntsman hasn't been heard from since the last televised debate...and it equals a second Obama term. I'm honestly looking forward to it, so he'll have a chance to push through the measures Republicans have been blocking.

December 1, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  104. Conor in Chicago

Gotta go with Romney. Ginrich has too much of a history of being extreme and hyper-partisan. Mix that in with his buisness dealings with questionable entities over the last 15 years and I think just about anybody could beat him in a general election. Romney on the other hand can advertise himself as a moderate and a centrist. Sure, he changes positions on things all the time, but an electorate unhappy with Obama might see that as an advantage rather than a problem.

December 1, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
  105. Loren

I have no idea. Since we're talking polls, how do Romney and Gingrich compare head-to-head against President Obama? I know that I think Gingrich would probably be a better President than Romney, but at this point anybody but Obama would be best.

December 1, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  106. Pete/Ark

My bookie says "even money , pick 'em" but if he had to rate the general election he hopes there will be some suckers that will bet against Obama. Me...?My money is split Ev Dirkson & Nelson Rockefeller...even dead, they'd be a better Republican choice.

December 1, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  107. Ken - Kingsport, TN

Either one is going to beat Obama because of the economic chaos we are going through. Unfortunately, the economy is only going to get worse no matter who is elected president while a K-Street purchased Legislature is tearing this country down. America is getting ready to experience an enema. Thank you, Supreme Court and your 'money is free speech' ruling. Jack, could we arrange to get a 'none of the above' on the ballot box? Didn't thinnk so.

December 1, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  108. Bob in Kansas City

Jack, I don't know which one has a better chance but I am certain that I'm sick of both of them with Obama ranked a close third.

December 1, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  109. tom taylor

neither , only ron paul will beat obama , people are tired of the status quo , we need change we need constitutional sound money we need ron paul

December 1, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
  110. Deb in MT

Neither one, Jack.

Newt is the current 'anybody but Romney' flavor of the week, but he'll ultimately melt down once he faces real scrutiny. Newt's insufferable, overweaning ego just can't take being looked at closely.

As for Romney? I just have to laugh when I hear people talk about his 'business experience': the guy made his fortune by cannibalizing viable companies–laying off the workforce, sending jobs overseas, and breaking the companies up into sellable bits. Romney is a real ("greed is good") Wall Street hack! Always thought he was just Gordon Gekko in magic underwear.

No, President Obama will get the second term he deserves, and I hope he gets a fillibuster proof Democratic majority in the Senate and a Democratic House to go along with it, or we are surely sunk.

December 1, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  111. Jean

Neither Gingrich or Romney can beat Obama! The Republicans have never had a good candidate! They are too busy with Grover Norquist and the NO on solving this country's problems.

December 1, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  112. Randy

Neither, because they're not trying to beat him. They're trying to pull the political discussion further to the right through these plays they put on called "debates". Once you "normalize" discussion about austerity and destroying education and social security the public tires of even the thought of the programs which makes it easier for them to get rid of them. After all, why would the oligarchs want Obama out when they're getting everything they want and get to blame a democrat?

December 1, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  113. marybeth, massachusetts

Jack,

I don't think either one of them would win because too many evangelical Republicans don't believe Romney is a Christian (Mormonism is a sect of Christianity, just like Unitarians, Lutherans, Methodists, Catholics, Anglicans, etc.) and they won't vote for someone who isn't one of them. Romney is too much of a flip-flopper, with his opinions and stances changing depending upon who he talking to. He's a snake oil salesman–he'll tell people what he thinks they want to hear, and change what he says depending on his audience. I live in Massachusetts, and when he was governor he pushed for and succeeded in getting MANDATORY health insurance law passed. Now that he's running for President, he's slamming the law Obama pushed through, even though it is just like the law in MA. At one time, he believed in a woman's right to choose, and now he believes that life begins at the instant of conception, no exceptions for rape, incest, or the health/life of the woman. He made a mess in MA with his pro-business policies–gave all kinds of tax breaks to businesses, who then fired workers and outsourced jobs. Nice guy, Mitt. If you're wealthy or a big corporation, he's your man. He'll do everything to protect you. If you have to work for living, if you need Social Security, Medicare, etc., he'll do everything to take it away from you and give it to the rich.

Gingrich is a flip-flopper too. And he's arrogant, snarky, and just as clueless as Romney when it comes to what ordinary Americans are going through. Like Romney, he'll be just perfect for big corporations and the wealthy. But he's got a sleazy aspect to his personality too that I don't like. And I'm not sure that Independents will vote against their own interests.

The Republican base is in love with him, though, so they'll turn a blind eye to his personal morality, to his past with all those ethics violations, and will vote for him.

I don't like or trust Ron Paul because he's another one who believes in dismantling every social safety net and giving tax breaks to the wealthy and corporations. He's a devote follower of Ayn Rand, and her philosophies on economics are just creepy. I don't think Ron Paul understands the purpose of government either, any more than any of the Republican candidates do. The last Democrat who truly understood the purpose of government was Teddy Kennedy. I fear that I have seen the last of his type ever.

December 1, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  114. Jake in Wolf Creek MT

Not with my vote. This Republican votes only for Conservatives.

Ron Paul 2012

December 1, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  115. Jonathen

Neither!

With Newt you have a lying deadbeat dad who gives a whole new meaning to the word fraud. The guy cant take care of his family so why the hell would anyone trust him with America

With Romney you have a guy that lied more times in his campaign than told the truth. Then hires illegals instead of American workers. Supports military involvement in Iraq but none of his sons "somehow" never served. He is probably the biggest hypocrite of all the candidates.

Add people in like Ron Paul who takes Racism to a whole new level that nobody could ever touch.. even with a 100ft pole.

If rich and vote for the Dems, your an idiot. If you don't make at least $250k annually and vote for Republican, your an even bigger idiot that's beyond help.

December 1, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
  116. Sandstone.

\It takes two to Tango, and who cares , whom takes the lead We need to win the Dance!

December 1, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  117. Valerie in Raleigh

Neither Romney or Gingrick can beat the President. Romney does not have the heart of the Republican Party and has been on every side of every issue and good old Newt is such an egomanic and carrries so much baggage he will have a hard time getting the votes. President Obama will be re-elected and, hopefully, once the Tea Party crazies are thrown out, we will get a Democratic congress and, along with a Democratic House, the President will be able to get passed the many excellent ideas he has put forth for the country that have been stopped by the party of "No.". This is the only hope this country has of recovering from the disasters caused by eight years of Bush/Cheney rule. Give this county a change – Vote Democratic for House, Senate and President. And no, I am not a Democrat but a Senior and Independent and, I want only what is best for this country.

December 1, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
  118. Scott Stodden

Your Right Jack Nobody Did Ask Me Except You Today And I Said It From The Beginning That If The Republican Party Wants To Beat President Obama Next Year Then Mitt Romney Should Be The Republican Nominee. I Know And I Understand That Mitt Romney Has Flip-Flopped On More Issues Than Any Other Candidate And Yes He's A Mormon But Mitt Knows His Facts, He Has Plans As To What To Do For The Country. Newt Gingrich If He Is The Republican Nominee Is Going To Have To Be Very Careful Running Against President Obama Because We All Know Newt Can And Will Put His Foot In His Mouth, He's Had Numerous Affairs And Even Divorced His First Wife While Going Through Cancer Treatments Is This What America Wants As A Leader Running Our Country? I Say If The Republicans Want To Win I Would Fight To Have Mitt Romney Run Against President Obama Because We All Know Newt Gingrich Will Not Stand Up To President Obama In Debates Against The President!

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

December 1, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  119. Linda in Arizona

Neither one of them will beat obama, the "other" republican.

December 1, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  120. Gigi Oregon

I will not vote Republican...period. They have nearly destroyed the country in the past 11 years.

December 1, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  121. aaron

Ron Paul is the only canidate running that can beat Obama. the rest are just obama like.

December 1, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  122. Jenna Roseville CA

Neither.

Romney – committed voter fraud, outsourced Americans jobs, flip flops more than McCain, etc.

Gingrich – divorced wife on death bed, cheated on 2nd wife with 3rd wife, lost house leadership due to corruption, took 1.8 MILLION as a 'advisor' for Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac, authored failed Contract for America, etc..

Our nation doesn't need either of these men in leadership.

Obama has my vote!

Jenna
    Roseville CA

December 1, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  123. Pete, NJ

Neither, but I am hoping that Kermit will announce his candidacy on your show today.

December 1, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  124. Steffen

Neither. Ron Paul. They don't have the grassroots support, nor do they attract independents like Paul does. It's Paul or Obama. If any other candidate other than Paul gets the Republican nomination, then Obama wins re-election.

December 1, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  125. Gary Burchfield

Neither, but if the elections were today, Newt would probably have my vote. Just as long as Bachmann's no where areound!

December 1, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  126. Jim

Anyone can beat Obama. Gingrich can save the middle class.

December 1, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  127. Isaac Bronx

Neither, only Ron Paul 2012.

December 1, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  128. Randy zarzycki

Romney or not Romney, Newt or not Newt.
    I vote not-Romney & not-Newt on a double not-ticket

December 1, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  129. Carl

Jack, As long as neither of them do there is still a chance that this country can return to prosperity and regain the worldwide respect we enjoyed before the Bush administration.

Carl
    Deerfield Beach, FL

December 1, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  130. Charles - San Antonio

Although Newt is surging in the polls right now, I believe Mitt has a better chance of beating Barack. Newt is too conservative. While he may appeal to the right wing republicans in the primary, in the general election, Mitt has greater appeal to independants and maybe even some disgruntaled democrats.

December 1, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  131. Angela University Place washington

Easy Jack...Neither, they need a miracle.

December 1, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  132. Jeremiah

Don't let the media choose our candidates. Obama, Romney, and Gingrich are all the same. They are Republicrats and are puppets controlled by the special interests and the corporations. America needs to wake up. Ron Paul is the only one who is supported by we the people and is the only one who gets support from Republicans, Democrats, and Independents.

December 1, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  133. Mark B.

Come on Jack.... what kind of choice is that? Flip Romney vs. Flop Gingrich. By the way, neither would stand a chance vs. Obama. It's Ron Paul vs. Status Quo. That's the only choice we are faced with whether people realize that yet or not!

December 1, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  134. Thomas

I have a seriously difficult time seeing either beating President Obama. Newt Gingrich is a mullet, Romney is a used car salesman. Presidential elections for the past 30 years have been a race to the bottom, this year- wow!

Thomas, Paradise CA

December 1, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  135. ronvan

We seem to forget, stated by some of the candidates and others, that the goal is beating Obama! Guess that means, once again, the heck with what is the best for America

December 1, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  136. jatovi

This is sad. Instead of picking the best candidate to do the actual job the GOP is down to fighting over "who will beat President Obama." I feel neither one are any good for the country. I feel neither could win in a fair fight. But since this is politics and there is no fair fighting politics I think either one will have an equal chance.

December 1, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  137. Kathy McKee

Hopefully Romney. The GOP must have a death wish to even be considering a big-spending, warmongering, hypocritical, flip-flopping serial adulterer like Gingrich. And have they forgotten his serious ethics problems when he was in the House before, which he bought his way out of rather than face the full House hearing the Ethics Committee voted for?

December 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  138. Bob Mackley, St Marys, Ga

Kermit the frog could beat Obama, but Gingrich or Romney will!

December 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  139. Rita (Phoenix,Az.

well Jack, How about a write in...with the choices we have at the moment , I say we write in Mickey Mouse!...At least he is someone everyone doesnt have some sort of issue with and has been around longer than most politicians.

December 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  140. Craig from New York

II think Newt has the best chance to beat Obama. I can't wait to see Newt debate that Socialist who occupies the White House, and display to the his Socialistic path he has put this country on. Americans who want to remain free, and see the return of freedoms lost under the Obama administration, will support Newt for President.

December 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  141. marcy

Neither! As soon as you scratch the surface even a little bit you can see that they are both pathetic! Stop wasting our time with these sorry excuses for 'presidential' candidates. The republicans have serious problems.

December 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  142. aggie95

NEITHER ONE! Let's not get it twisted, Pres Obama should have NO problem beating either one of these jokers...I mean flip-floppers...I mean "candidates." Even w/ a low approval rating, which I believe to be unjust given republs have only worked to make him a one term president instead of working w/ him, Pres. Obama should handly beat these two, or any one of the others, when its all said and done.

December 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  143. Dave Feehan

I don't see either Mitt or Newt. I see a deadlocked convention and the Republicans turning to David Petraeus.He's a war hero, a Republican, and has managed a huge organization. Petraeus is the 2012 equivalent of another David - dwidght David Eisenhower. You heard it here first.

December 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  144. Ron Pulizotto, Palm Harbor FL>

Newt, but we need a man like Teddy Roosevelt in these times!

December 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  145. stan

The flip flopper and the lobbyist? Neither stands a chance. I think Obama is not liberal enough and not aggressive enough, but I would still vote for him over any other "my way or the highway" republican.

December 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  146. rick turner

well im going to say newt. butttt they both scare me to death about being in the white house.but if obama stays we are really in for big trouble. if newt gets in then all the illeagles will start getting worse. if romney gets it id hate to say what happens

December 1, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  147. Patricia/Georgia

According to your figures ...both should be able to beat Obama but they won't ...many people are just as fed up with the republicans and their fight to keep the wealthy wealthier and the middle class be damned. Besides, I find it odd that no one has mentioned Newt's past record as speaker where he had to leave due to an financial ethics problem. This flim flam man who sells placques to doctors, educators saying they are the best in their field....but they have to pay anywhere from 1500 to 5,000 to get it....funny we only hear about this on MSNBC.

December 1, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  148. HURRICANEPAUL from Hawaii

Jack, President Obama has no chance, what so ever, of being reelected next November so it really doesn't matter which Republican wins the nomination.

In order to win reelection the standing president must have a record of accomplishments to stand on. With the unemployment rate at a steady 9%, that makes job-creation priority #1 for the voters. President Obama's 'shovel-ready jobs' policies have failed to change the unemployment numbers for three long years.

Need I say more, Jack?

December 1, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  149. Steve

Neither. Both of them have no core conviction. Romney is a chicken hawk and gutless and Newt will be too busy cheating on his wife because of all the work he'll have to doing.

December 1, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  150. Riley - Phoenix, AZ

Romney is far more like to beat Obama. One word- Economy. Romney, at the helm, can steer our economy forward, instead of sliding backwards, which is what it has been doing for some time now. If people can swallow their own biases about Romney, and realize that Romney is a great leader and example, he will get the support he needs to retire Obama from the White House. Obama is trying every trick in the book to slow down the GOP, especially Romney, because they realize that he is the biggest threat to giving him the KO out of the Oval Office.

December 1, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  151. lizard11

Romney is only likely to beat Obama. When it comes down to it, most Americans will vote carefully and intelligently and will not vote for an adulterer who has been corrupt and untruthful.

December 1, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  152. Travis

If your asking between the two candidates then its hands down Gingrich, but if you are asking for opinion then I wish one of the other smaller candidates like Paul or Huntsman would be able to face Obama

December 1, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  153. Jake

I'd have to go with Romney, Jack. As it usually does it's going to boil down to the independent votes and the votes near the political center. I have a hard time believing many of those centrists would take Gingrich and his flip flopping as well as his short-fuse temper and dodgy personal choices over Romney. So far the worst we've heard about Romney is the fact that he's Mormon and he hired someone who hired someone who was illegal. Big deal.

December 1, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  154. Don Wilson

Neither one will CHANGE ANYTHING. It will be the same old thing for yet another 4 years. We really need someone that will be CAPABLE of making a change. Not sure that is possible no matter who we elect. But we must get rid of Obama before the United States of America is totally dismantled.

Everyone disgusts me. How on earth can we have Americans STARVING in inside our borders and we send money to other countries and worthless wars? Really?

December 1, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  155. angeldevil

Romney has and will continue to be our best chance to beat Obama.

December 1, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  156. MikeB

I'm a Democrat who campaigned for Obama in 2008, but I will vote for ANYBODY before I'll vote for him, again. My candidate is Ron Paul, but of those two knuckleheads you name, Romney is preferable to Gingrich. I would still vote for Gingrich as President over Obama, though. Hell, I'd vote for a radish.

December 1, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  157. Charles

I'm a Republican and do like Gingrich. But he's unelectable in a national election, against practically anybody.

The vast majority of Americans (especially non-Republicans) remember him as an arrogant, polarizing figure from his time in the House, including as Speaker. Due his poor reputation, there's no way he can beat Obama (who at least is likeable).

December 1, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  158. Name*alice from annapolis

Between the two, I at least know what Gingrich stands for. Romney appears to be a chameleon without a soul. I would vote for Newt.

December 1, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  159. Matt, DC

Hands down Romney. Republicans will vote for him, albeit begrudgingly, but they will fall in line in the effort to unseat President Obama. Gingrich would mount a vivacious campaign against the president, but he can't appeal to independents the way Romney can. The key to 2012 lies with the swing vote, and the Republicans need a nominee who can win it. By this logic their best bet would be Jon Huntsman, but unfortunately the party's been hijacked by the Tea Party and is now devoid of sanity in its majority. Hopefully they can get their act together by Iowa and nominate Romney or Huntsman, but I'm not holding my breath on it. If Gingrich is the nominee, President Obama can sleep easy knowing his next four years in office are in the bag.

December 1, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  160. Nick from Boulder, CO

I think both of them will have a hard time defending themselves. Mitt's well-known record of flip-flops and Newt's political baggage will give the Obama campaign enough to destroy the GOP in a general election. Why can't we choose a candidate with integrity, consistency, and loyalty to his country rather than his party? The American people are sick and tired of party politics. A candidate who stands by his convictions will win. Even people who don't agree with him will vote for him just because he is honest and principled. That's why I'm voting for Ron Paul.

December 1, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  161. Derek

Neither of them. Ron Paul is the only credible candidate out of them all. The only reason Paul isn't up in the poles is because the media don't want to showcase him. If they did and gave true polls, he would leave everyone in the dust.

December 1, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  162. Erin Schlosser

Ron Paul shouldn't even be running for the Republican ticket...he is truly "Independent." Newt is the only candidate that provides solutions to problems and stands up for what he believes in.

December 1, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  163. Patnzak

Who was it that saved the Olympics from not only ruin but embarrassment for the United States? Romney knows how to turn things around and if it takes a flip flop, who cares. The US needs to get back on track!

December 1, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  164. Liz Smith, Florida

I think that Gingrich has a better shot at it only because we have short memories in this country and he is quite bright. I for one will vote for Obama and since I live in Florida for once I think my vote might count.

December 1, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  165. Angela University Place washington

Jack can you count above how many times neither was used with this question, that answer is more interesting than either of these guys...

December 1, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  166. Kathy

Some times Jack you are just plain dumb! Neither can beat President Obama. Romney doesn't know who he is himself and Newt, really? How short does he think people's memories are? This mess was caused by the Republicans, Bush, Chaney and the gang, you remember, and none of the nominees have anything new to offer. And while we're at it the Republican's in congress are not about the middle calss. So keep spouting off and running down President Obama and when he wins we'll let him finish what he has tried to do against all Republican odds.

December 1, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  167. Larry Hollis

Neither, Americans can't trust Romney because he is a flipfloper and Gingrich couldn't be trusted by his first wife.

December 1, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  168. Brittany

I think it's sad that the only worthy politician running is blatantly being being ignored by the media. I'm tired of hearing the endless scandals, wavering platforms, and ridiculous lies that are being told by Gingrich and Romney. While many of my views tend to be conservative, if either of them make it to the Presidential Election, I am voting for Obama. Wake up America, don't vote for another corrupt politician. Please do your research and see through the garbage these politicians are telling you. Vote Ron Paul.

December 1, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  169. eric

Neither of them. they are clowns in this republican circus.

December 1, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  170. Bonnie Smith

You'll laugh, but despite the fact that New Gingrich is looking good in the polls right now, he'll never beat Obama simply because of his age and looks. A great many of the young voters of the last election, who had no clue about the issues, voted for Obama for those reasons alone. Mitt Romney has a chance; he's nice looking and articulate. Poor Newt doesn't stand a chance!

December 1, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  171. Randy in Washington state

Jack, you left out the only candidate that can and will beat Obama in 2012 and that's RON PAUL. We don't need a different flip flopper in the White house, we've had enough of the one that's already in there.

December 1, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  172. Rebecca in California

Romney has the best chance of beating Obama.Gingrich has a long history of flip-flopping, he is certainly the equal of Romney on that measure. Additionally, Gingrich has questionable business and influence peddling to his credit and he certainly does not have the personal integrity of Romney who has been married and faithful to one woman and to his Religious beliefs. The party had "buyer's remorse" in the last election when McCain became the nominee–hopefully we won't be so foolish again. Romney is a conservative, however he does have appeal with independents and moderates. The candidate who wins the general election will be the one who can sway the moderate/independent vote. Conservatives-look at his 60+ years of life experience and recognize that this is as conservative as it gets. Moderates look at his policies and see fair governance and an ability to work with both sides of the aisle.

December 1, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  173. Danny

Newt Gingrich can beat Obama!

December 1, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  174. Mr. Brown

None of the above.

December 1, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  175. Kathy Rossland, Brookfield, CT

Neither, if the American electorate is aware of the serious ideological differences between Democrats and Republicans. For example, the Republican stance to place the burden of reducing the deficit on the majority of Americans who are economically challenged versus the Democrat's position to ask the rich to pay a little more in taxes – which wouldn't even make a dent in their profits and quality of life.

December 1, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  176. Mit K,

I believe Newt Gingerich is going to be a more serious challenge to Obama. His policies seem to be more closer to center and seems very reasonable in tackling serious issues. He seems to have a bipartisan attitude which will help to get rid of Washington gridlock. He does have a chance to defeat Obama whose rule has shown inexperience and immaturity in solving serious problems. Obama has gone back on many serious election promises and his jobs act has come 3 years too late.
    He did not spend enough money on job creation when he rolled out stimulas. His jobs act has come near an election year which included proposals which was bound to be rejected by congress despite his " pass it now" rant. It was meant to be an armour for election. His 2% tax break to middle class is no different from the check sent by Bush.

December 1, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  177. Old2Sunny of Kentucky

Being that you are so opinionated what would you like to hear? Rationalization does not seem possible with you or anyone like you.

December 1, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  178. Donald Smith

Gingrich is a repeat adulterer with no shame. He has no business being in public office at all. Adultry is a combination of dirty deeds besides cheating on ones spouse. This hypocrite went after Bill Clinton for the same deeds. Romney should push these points and he might get to run against President Obama.

December 1, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  179. Mike Harris

Gingrich without a doubt. He's intelligent and experienced. He knows the issues, and whether you agree with him or not at least you know where he stands. He may not be perfect, but he's much better than Romney.

December 1, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  180. Susan, Cranford NJ

The only Republican's chance of beating Obama is if the Dems don't come out to vote. Whether it's Newt or Mitt is irrelevant. No matter how people feel about Obama right now, he's still better than either one of them.

December 1, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  181. Rosemary Washington State

Jack seriously? I don't see our real candidate on your list. Who would be Ron Paul, of course! Obama wouldn't stand a chance in an intellectual debate with the good Dr....! Ron Paul in 2012!

December 1, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
  182. Cee.La

Neither......both of these men have prevously supported the same issues, they now dont.......Gingrich is running as an outsider and he is just the opposte, and has the bank account to prove it.......we have got to be the dumbest electorate on the planet....

December 1, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  183. Rick in Western Mass

It would be too entirely different races.

Obama vs Willard: a matchup of progressive and conservative economic policies. Willard will do well, because many independents know that he's not really as socially conservative as he appears.

Obama vs Newt: a race of such unrestrained ignominy and vile inflammatory hate speech that widespread civil unrest ensues, collapsing American society and the world economy in one move.

December 1, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  184. david p

i believe gingrich is the better choice over romney. he is an experienced statesman, not perfect, but extremely effective and incredibly intellegent. he's not perfect, but then, none of us is – except the lord jesus – sorry, i know that;s not politically correct in todays world of holiday trees (we used to call them christmas trees). obama has spent more time campaigning for re-election than running the country. if he wants to win re-election, let him campaign from the oval office. i think it would be much more effective, and prove his mettle as the commander in chief. but as governor christie from new jersey asked: "where the hell have you been mr. president?

December 1, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  185. Ralph Nix

Newt ! Emphatically !
    He has the ability and a track record of taking the fight to the democrats and setting them down.

December 1, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  186. John Meldrum

I believe Romney has the best chance of beating President Obama in the 2012 election. Romney has had the most consistent approval ratings in almost every poll and has campaigned for president before so he has had time to build his constituency. Also, his experience as Governor gives him leverage over most of the the other candidates. Plus, look at that strong jaw, doesn't he just look presidential?

December 1, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  187. Ken-Georgia

Wisdom comes with age and yes mistakes. Gingrich has both, neither GWB or BO had that and it showed time and time again. I'll admit,Gringrich did not have what it takes years ago, but now, after going through much fire, he is time tested.Their is nothing like expericence teaching you its lessons in life. I'm looking for the one who admits he has learned from such, so far,Gringrich appears this way to me.

December 1, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  188. Kevin from Auburn

Newt Gingrich has much stronger experience in a number key areas, specifically the economy and foreign affairs. Both of which have been pain stakingly lacking in the current administration and both are inherently related

December 1, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  189. Russ Mouritsen

Romney would and should win. The biggest issue confronting Americans is the economy. Mitt has by far the most experience in this area. At least he doesn't flaunt his wealth like Newt with half million in lines of credit at expensive jewelry stores. And are our memories so short that we forgot why Newt lost his position in congress? Why does it always seem that all newspeople conservative or liberal appear to gloat when Romney's numbers drop. I even sense a bit of that in you, Jack-although I do enjoy your comments-they are to the point and relevant. Do I still sense religious intolerance in our country and is that is why Mitt struggles in some polls ? Russ from Hawaii

December 1, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  190. Mike Harris

Gingrich without a doubt. He's intelligent and experienced. He knows the issues, and whether you agree with him or not at least you know where he stands. He may not be perfect, but he's better than Romney for sure.

December 1, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  191. Peggy Howard

Gingrich is so much better and well versed on all subjects than Romney. Gingrich will beat Obama because Gingrich is knowledgable, has been around and well versed on every subject. Romney is weird, arrogant and proud, and thinks he is slick and unstoppable. People see through Romney and his fakiness. Gingrich is the guy who knows how to debate and has a quick tongue. Obama cannot debate because he has done nothing. I pray he will be our president and turn the economy and all things around for us.

December 1, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
  192. Peggy Howard

Gingrich is straight and smart. Romney is a Mormon a cult.

December 1, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  193. Renee Peoria,Ill

The polling on the right has been one long roller coaster ride, with one candidate or another riding high till they open their mouth and say something stupid or someone comes out with damning info. This is Newt's second shot at 15 minutes. Wait for it – his own baggage will catch up with him again. The far right doesn't like Romney for the very reason that he stands a chance against Obama; he's not an extremist.

December 1, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  194. Thomas

Newt's ability to fight still doesn't address his complete detachment from reality...

December 1, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  195. John J

watching all of the GOP presidential debates reminds me of the jersy shore cast what a joke totally desconected from the reality this country is going through neither romney or gingrich stand a chance of ever becoming a president at least not during my time

john j, miami florida

December 1, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
  196. Chad

The only republican candidate capable of beating President Obama at this point is a bit obvious jack– Reagan. While the GOP diehards and conservatives keep hoping for the rest of us to have as short a memory as they do, I still would say most us with a half a brain and who are using it, have not forgotten that the pickle were in is not a recent development. Unpopularity and lack of votes sure didnt keep George W Bush from being president either time. Nor have we forgotten newts true colors either, so all this is academic because I think most people in the general election still hope that president obama is more of a democrat than anything else and he would be more likely to show up during a second term!

December 1, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
  197. Eswin Lopez

Its sad to see that Romney and Newt are the only two candidates in this CNN poll, but it gives me hope and happiness that there are more people pushing for Ron Paul. Latinos vote for Ron Paul 2012.

December 1, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  198. MenaceTX

Honestly Jack, neither. I use to be a Republican before this group of "Misfit Toys" came along. Sorry Rudolph.

December 1, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  199. Marvin Wolfe / Martinsville, Va

I dont trust Romney, he seems like just a talker, & a fake, he even negatively referred to someone as "too christian" , that offended christians, and im a believer in God myself!

December 1, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  200. Karen

Neither, Ron Paul should have the nomination, not flip-floppers. And as far as Obama, he's a very unfunny joke!

December 1, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  201. JC (Austin, TX)

Jack, I have to say Gingrich. I can get past his personal failings because after all most politicians end up disappointing us in that regard, and some have become Presidents! But in a one on one with Romney Gingrich would eat him alive, and Obama would be next.

December 1, 2011 at 5:52 pm |