Would Herman Cain's 9-9-9 tax plan get you to vote for him?
October 17th, 2011

Would Herman Cain's 9-9-9 tax plan get you to vote for him?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain is breathing down Mitt Romney's neck – and much of the attention he's getting is focused on his 9-9-9 tax plan.

Cain talks about this plan, and how it would stimulate economic growth, a lot.

Whether you agree or disagree with Cain's tax plan, there's no doubt it would simplify our complicated tax code.

The 9-9-9 plan would get rid of almost all of the current taxes and replace them with:

• A 9% flat federal individual income tax
  • A 9% flat federal corporate tax
  • And a new 9% national sales tax

Not everyone is sold. Far from it. Some economists along with other Republican presidential hopefuls have questioned the plan.

Critics say it would give the government a new revenue stream, the national sales tax, while not protecting families from paying more. Some insist it would raise taxes for the poor and middle class while cutting taxes for those at the top.

But Cain insists that while some people will pay more under his plan, "most people will pay less." He tells NBC that despite congressional opposition he thinks he could push through this plan as president.

Meanwhile it's worth pointing out that the 9-9-9 plan is just an early step in Cain's tax reform plans.

Ultimately he supports a "fair tax." This is a kind of national sales tax that would replace the current tax code and all the credits, deductions and exemptions.

So, for example, while mortgage deductions would disappear, the plan would still make overall taxes less for many homeowners.

And it seems people are intrigued. Cain has surged in the national polls. He's also statistically tied with Romney in the crucial early voting states of Iowa and South Carolina, and he's in second place in New Hampshire.

Here’s my question to you: Would Herman Cain's 9-9-9 tax plan get you to vote for him?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Bill in Virginia:
I hope and pray I get the chance to vote for Herman Cain beyond the Republican primary. Like any plan, 9-9-9 would not survive as proposed so I am less concerned about the details. But he at least has a plan and it is, at a very high level, on the right track. Everyone should pay something, not like now where 47% of individuals pay nothing along with many profitable corporations.

Chuck in Florida:
No! In Florida, we already have a 6% sales tax. Cain's plan would have us paying 15% on food and clothing. It would severely impact many here who can barely make ends meet already.

Jim in California:
9-9-9 is deeply flawed. It does nothing to rein in federal spending, and not only does it give the federal government a new revenue stream in the form of a national sales tax, but you can be sure that a future Congress will make it 10-10-10, then 12-12-12, then...

Brad in Portland, Oregon:
Tax cuts for millionaires and corporations, and tax increases for the middle class and poor? What's not to like?! Sign me up!

Michael on Facebook:
I'm voting for him because of his personality, intelligence, executive experience, and sense of humor. The 9-9-9 plan is a start.

Henry:
Rome fell when it started to let its pizza vendors dictate tax policy. A little known historical fact.

S. in Florida:
It depends, Jack. If my 9 topping pizza isn't here in 9 minutes, do I still have to pay $9?

Posted by
Filed under: 2012 Election • Herman Cain
  1. Lou, Fayetteville, NC

ARE YOU KIDDING? He knows less about economics, budgets, Congress, and math than Obama did and does. In all the people in this United States, WHY can't we find someone who might know how to run the country?

October 17, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
  2. Larry -Denver

BE serious Jack. Koch brothers funding, Mr Cain is less then honest. No way could he get my vote with even with free taxes.
    The flavor (fake too) of the month is a fraud.

October 17, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
  3. Mike McGann

When we have Presidential candidates formulating their economic policy on the basis of SimCity4, it's time to get off the bus. I'm not sure which is worse: the fact that Toddlers and Tiaras is still on TV, or that the media, including CNN is taking the 9-9-9 plan and treating it like a seriously thought out proposal.

October 17, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
  4. Frank in Valparaiso

Its poorly researched, he has no clue about how to handle what would be a lot of other items to tax. It would increase taxes on the lower and middle classes. The rich would really make off like bandits. Which is why Steve Forbes has been braying about a flat tax for decades. Sounds nice but in reality would really hurt the middle and lower classes. Rich would be able to really blow away the economic inequities.

October 17, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
  5. richard in austin texas

Raising taxes on lower income, this guy is just another flavor of the month

October 17, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
  6. Doug

I consider 999 to be the 666 of tax reform. It looks attractive on the surface but turns out to be hell in disguise. While I support an equitable flat tax in principle, it is the final 9 that is the deal breaker and the one that would hurt the lower income people the most. It is the perfect 1% solution.

October 17, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
  7. Dan in Albuquerque

No, and that's not the only reason. Not only would it not work on several levels, but Cain is an extreme loose cannon on immigration, international diplomacy and other issues. He, like Perry, has had to backtrack on positions he probably believes in, but found is out of touch with most Americans outside the right wing. He is on the national stage now, and extremism is still not where most Americans are,

October 17, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
  8. Jesse from DFW

It's great that he has a plan, however, it makes life difficult for those on fixed income and low income americans.
    All of these Tax Plans are worthless without a clear definition of the type of Government Structure we prefer.

It's amazing that corporations can get a more favorable tax rate in other countries than in the United States.

Recommendation:
    Reduce the corporate tax rate to be competitive with other countries, and at the same time reduce our defense budget to pay for the corporate tax rates. Let the countries that provide low tax rates for corporations to pay for their own defense, our goverment should not protect corporations that hold our economy hostage.

The 999 Plan is nothing but another Republican gimmick design to appeal to the greedy, not the needy!

October 17, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  9. Paul From Austin Texas

Yes, any change to our tac system is a breath of fresh air. Cain is the only true business man running for President. A couple of others worked in the private sector when they had to because they didn't win an election they were in. Cain is a candidate that is real and has real go ideas in general. I guess you could call me one of Herman Cain's hermits with solid support for him.

October 17, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  10. Herman Portland OR

If Herman Cain is the last Republican standing I would vote for him. If the 9-9-9 plan gets the tax reform we need I wish him the best of luck getting the votes on Congress. Mr Cain has many additional admirable skills and a solid business record and overall success. A very inspiring man with excellent leadership skills.

October 17, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
  11. JulezSD

No cause I wouldn't wanna be only able to buy used stuff like for instance tires for
    my car!

October 17, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  12. Kathy T

If Herman Cain's tax plan only has a 9% sales tax on new items wouldn't that make people look to buy mainly used products thus making our economy worse do to less demand for newly created products. (It makes me think about all of the old cars in Cuba that are constantly being recycled.)

October 17, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  13. Greg in Arkansas

I wouldn't vote for Cain if his 9-9-9 plan was for FREE 9 inch, 9 topping pizzas, 9 times a week....
    As a middle class tax-payer, my tax bill would go UP by several thousand dollars a year while a Wall Street Commodity Trader that makes millions in oil futures will have his tax rate cut to ZERO since his income will be in the form of capital gains......but many simpel minded people will vote for his simple plan because they don't understand the details and once again, slogans rather than solutions may win the election.

October 17, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  14. Russ in PA

No. A person that continues to support the Federal Reserve is not worthy of my vote. Nor is either party that suggests that it is able to manage an economy or know what is best for me. Liberty is the answer, as Ron Paul has said many times. Look at the state of Louisiana, and its recent law outlawing the use of cash in certain transactions. And this is supposed to be a free country?

Ron Paul in 2012...

October 17, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  15. jack

Jack- NO, NO, NO!

October 17, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  16. Jayne in NH

Good lord, no! Cain says to avoid his sales tax on food to buy "used." No, thank you. I'd just as soon not dumpster dive to avoid taxation. Cain is the joke du jour.

October 17, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  17. Doug (from Miller Place, NY)

He's not going to pull the wool over my eyes.. His regressive income and sales tax strategy will benefit the rich, not the vast majority of Americans. And his "pro-growth" strategy with 9 % corp tax rate is nothing more than a carte-blanche "pro-Wall Street" windfall – there are absolutely no stipulations for companies earning these low tax rates in return for creating American jobs.. Corporations will gladly take his no-strings-attached tax reduction, and continue to plow their new found revenue into cheaper factories and labor OVERSEAS, thus benefiting Wall Street, and certainly not Main Street. Nice try, Herman.

October 17, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  18. Charles, Lansing, Michigan

If I was a single person with no dependants or was a millionaire I might vote for him. Everyone else will pay more tax than they are now and that includes me so no thankyou Herman.

October 17, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  19. Jim, Boulder Creek California

9-9-9 is deeply flawed. It does nothing to rein in federal spending, and not only does it give the federal government a new revenue stream in the form of a national sales tax, but you can be sure that a future congress willl make it 10-10-10, then 12-12-12, then ...

October 17, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  20. Name*Adeyemi

Will never vote for Herman Cain even if he's got the 10-10-10 tax plan; how do you make a guy who said "if you have no job and you're poor blame yourself" president? Not in my America he's better as a pizza guy.
    Adeyemi
    Brooklyn, NY

October 17, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  21. Pat in Michigan

He almost had me until I found out his link to the Koch brothers. He lost me on the Electric fence thing.
    If you take his comment/idea to it's end he is advocating electricuting Mexicans.What does he think an electic fence wil tickle.Clearly racist.
    He is looking for a scapegoat like all bullies do.
    Naw, I don't care if he cancels taxes .This guy is not right for this nation!

October 17, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  22. Barbara Leavitt

It won't. He is against Social Security and Medicare so I would not consider voting for Cain. He's no different than all other Republicans in protecting the wealthy and corporations. Funny how Republicans never mention that under George Bush
    fewer jobs were created than under any other president in the history of presidents. That's how well those Bush tax cuts have worked for us....We the People. Pretty sure once we learn more on 999, Cain's plan will be right up there with business as usual.

Henderson Nevada

October 17, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  23. Frances

I wouldn't vote for any Republican tea party candidate. I would not vote for Cain under any circumstance, add the 999 and I would not vote for him if Dick Cheney was going to torture me.

Pass the Jobs Bill!

October 17, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
  24. John from Alabama

Jack: I could not support Herman Cain's 9-9-9- plan, because one I do not believe a flat tax system will work. Plus, I do not like the 9% national sales tax part, because I already pay a 9% sales tax, and I do not like it. Local and state governments are not going to stop taxing their citizens to provide needed services like sewer, water, garbage collection, and police and fire protection. Remember, lawyers make laws for lawyers, and even a flat tax will give lawyers away to find loopholes. Great law firms do not make a $1,000.00 an hour, because they are stupid.

October 17, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
  25. Brad, Portland, OR

What's not to like?! Sign me up!

October 17, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
  26. Noel Sivertson Roswell New Mexico.

Absolutely not! I'm one of those whose taxes Hemran Cain admits will rise.

As a 78 year old retiree dependent on a military retirement annuity and Social Security I now pay a little less than $1,000.00 in federal income tax including that portion of my Social Security that is taxed. Under the 9-9-9 plan my federal income tax would almost quadruple to about $3500.00.

And there is no payroll tax offset for retired seniors. We will be the ones paying for the 9-9-9 tax breaks the wealthy and the corporation will enjoy.

Why should we vote against our own self interest?

October 17, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
  27. Jk from Minnesota

No it wouldn't. The people who can least afford a tax shift (the poor) will be hurt the most by any sort of national sales tax that is meant to replace an income tax simply because they spend all of their income (and probably more) and do not have the ability to save.. I don't think Mr Cain has thought this plan through completely, or he doesn't have a lot of concern for the nation's poor. People need to remeber this is the candidate who told people to go get a job instead of join the Occupy Wall Street protest. He's another GOP candidate who cares more for the wealthy.

October 17, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
  28. s in fl

It depends, Jack. If my 9 topping pizza isn't here in 9 minutes, do I still have to pay $9.00?

October 17, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  29. Annie, Atlanta

Only if it was an option in Sim City, and only then if I was an outrageously rich player in the game, because it would definitely be to my benefit.

October 17, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  30. Rich McKinney, Texas

Jack I keep hearing Cain talk about this 999 plan but he never bothers to explain it or how he came up with these figures and proof that this plan will even work. It is extremely hard to find fault with a plan you don't know anything about to begin with. To answer your question NO I would not vote for Cain on a 999 plan. Not any more so then I would vote for Obama again on another "Hope and Change plan". We all see how well that one is working out for us.

October 17, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  31. Chuck Reichmuth

NO! In Florida we already have a 6% sales tax. Cain's plan would have us paying 15% on food and clothing. It would severely impact many here that can barely make ends meet already.

October 17, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  32. andy

no it would not. once again it looks good on paper but its a comsumpution tax where once again the middle and poor class pay all the taxes because rich people don't buy things on a daily basis.

October 17, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  33. calaurore9

Like 9 9 9 or not, he's re-writing the rule book. He gets my vote for that. Problem is ideas good or bad go nowhere once they hit that big brick wall called Congress.

Carol in Northampton, Ma

October 17, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  34. Loren

No, because it has too many flaws, but I hope that he is intelligent enough to read and accept the criticism and formulate something that could work. Too often politicians float an idea and stick with despite flaws and that is their death knell. Should Cain prove himself intelligent enough to recognize the difficulties with his plan and reformulate it, then we will know that he has what it will take to govern the United States in the coming years.

October 17, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  35. Jerry from Johns Creek, GA

Herman Cain's 9 9 9 cetainly got my attention. At first I thought he was directing the comment to Pres.Obama but in German, nein, nein, nein that is NO! NO! NO!. It can work both ways. It is an interesting approach that can lead to a basic overhaul of our tax code which is in severe need of an overhaul and can be used as a response to current government policies and bad practices.

October 17, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  36. Bizz, Quarryville Pennsylvania

I wouldn't vote for him. To me the 9 9 9 is just another republican trick to keep the rich from paying their fair share. This plan will make the average citizen paid more in taxes and hurt the people who can least afford it. I don't think he would even have enough money to put up a electric fence with razor wire around the border.

October 17, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  37. Jim, Denver CO

Jack,
    Absolutely NOT! The 9-9-9 plan has a lot of holes in it. It would shift the tax burden onto middle and lower income people and give the rich even more of a tax break. Under this plan any middle and low income person will be living in a Serf type position. Yep, no thank you!

October 17, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  38. Bill Weber

i already did! i was a delegate at the Florida Presidency 5 debate and after listening to all of the candidates and then meeting and listening to Mr. Cain speak to a group of about 100 delegates, the majority of our delegation voted for him. We found him to not only be dynamic, but he actually come forth with sound ideas and a no nonsense approach to governing this country.
    Herman Cain not being a career politician is what this country needs and if he is the nominee, he will get my vote and those of my neighbors. While his 999 plan may not be the total answer to our fiscal problems, thus far it is the bestplan to be but forth. Cain far outshines the rest of the field.

October 17, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  39. bonnie from NJ

It doesn't take much research in to the plan to discover who would be paying more and who would be paying less. It is just another plan to take from the middle class and give more breaks to the rich. I am certainly for a less complicated flat tax, but it needs to be on a graduated basis. I can only assume the middle class who are supporting this plan (and I was ready to until I read it), have not read it.

October 17, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
  40. Rick McDaniel

Quite the contrary. That plan favors the rich, and will cause financial strain on the middle class and the poor. I am also opposed to the "fair tax" which he advocates, because it is a variable, and the government should not be subjected to economically variable funding.

I do agree, that the entire tax code needs to be revamped, and simplified a lot........but Cain's plan is not the way to go.

One of the best ways to equalize taxes in this country, is to make people pay for their children, without the government subsidy of tax credits. Eliminate the tax credits for all, individuals and dependents. Lower the rate accordingly, and you will do 3 things: make people recognize that children are not free, make people who have children pay the same as those who don't, and the free tax ride for illegals, will be OVER!

Eliminate deductions and loopholes, so everyone has to pay, and that will provide more revenue than adding taxes to the rich.

October 17, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  41. Jane in CA

No. I am one of the millions who would pay more under Cain's give more money to the rich tax plan. Taking another 18% from the poorest people in the country is a plan only a sadist could support. These are people who already have trouble keeping themselves and their families fed, housed and clothed. Taking 9 % of their income would only make things worse. Adding 9% to the cost of everything everyone buys is a really good way to increase demand for goods and services. Cain, like all Republicans, doesn't have a clue how people who make minimum wages live. I doubt if they even think that people who aren't millionaires have a right to exist.

October 17, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  42. Rich McKinney, Texas

Right 9 percent this year and 10 percent next year and 11 percent the following year and so on. Here is the thing Jack. The government spends far more money then they take in and I don't care if you call it a 999 plan or some other name if our government just continues to spend we will never be able to pay enough in taxes to cover it. Cain makes it seem like all other taxes will just float away and they won't. This is just a new tax piled on top of the old ones. A tax with no end for a congress with no fiscal restraint.

October 17, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  43. Michael Bindner, Alexandria, VA

Not in its current form. If he announced a $500 per month per child prebate, required that only high income individuals pay taxes (at much higher than 9%), retained payroll taxes and had a 27% business income tax with offsets for the prebate and for alternative funding of entitlements, I might support him, but that would be my tax plan, not his. More to the point, if GOP governors find out that he would simply cut off federal funds to states for entitlements – forcing them to either throw Grandma out of her nursing home and into the street (she already gave up her house to get Medicaid) or raise taxes, they won't let their state party organizations support him either. For Cain to win, the Tea Party must replace the entire GOP establishment. They won't go quietly.

October 17, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  44. Lori - PA

Jack,

I have never been a fan of the Republicans. Over the years, my opinion of them has only gotten worse. Given their tendency to want to cram their beliefs down our throats [in the form of legislation], and given how they pander to the wealthy, I don't see myself voting for anyone currently trying to win the nomination. No matter how good an idea they have MIGHT be.

October 17, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  45. Doug

Nope. I am for the 0-0-0 Tax Plan. Doug, Pepperell, MA.

October 17, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  46. bob z.

999 is good for buss. but i think it is bad for the regular citizen we will have to pay a lot more in taxes

October 17, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  47. Michael "C" Lorton, Vriginia

Jack: In the past we had Johnny Cash--Steve Jobs-and Bob Hope---to date--America has no CASH-no JOBS---and no HOPE--and 9-9-9- if inverted is 6-6-6--the sign of the devil--would not vote for Cain even if he changed the numbers!

October 17, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  48. Bill (Tacoma)

No, I most definately would not vote for Cain 999 plan or any other plans of his; you must understand, I have been BRAINWASHED.

October 17, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  49. David in Tampa

No, I would vote for some else. If the Koch brothers are behind it, you can bet the farm on one thing, America will speedily become another third world country, palatial estates surrounded by gut wrenching poverty. They will start making Save the Children commercials in almost every state in this country.

October 17, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
  50. Nate NC

Vote for a politician because he says he has a cure-all plan? That's crazy. Just like saying that 9-9-9 is 6-6-6 inverted so that it can be shoved down people's throats, force feeding them false assurances and a false sense of security. Crazy.

October 17, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  51. Gordon NJ

No. Cain is like a one-trick-pony, and when you take a good look at his 9-9-9 trick the reality is pretty thin. Nine percent sales tax on top of 7 percent NJ sales tax would make shopping for anything a pretty depressing task. Furthermore, when he was asked on Meet the Press yesterday if he was a Neo-Con, he looked dazed and confused, like Palin was she was asked what newspapers she read.

October 17, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  52. JIM IN PA

No, Lady GAGA has a better chance of appearing at the Republican convention then the two party's coming to an agreement on this.

October 17, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
  53. Tom Bulger, Canandaigua, NY

Nein, nein, nein. Herr Cain ist eine dummkoph. The middle class and the poor already pay more than their fair share in taxes.

Cain rightfully never expected to get this far. Now he is forced to make it up as he goes along. Like Palin he is creating some big numbers in book sales, but his chance of becoming president is ZERO. None of the capable people dare run against Obama, so opportunity knocks for attention seekers like Trump, Palin, and Cain. It's commercial abuse of the system. They're worse than politicians.

October 17, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  54. notsheepish

Herman Cain lost my respect when he lied to Ron Paul about his past reactions to calls to audit the Fed. Period. It was at that point that Mr. Cain had lost my trust.

October 17, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  55. Pete from Milton

The ONLY thing that could get me to vote for Herman Cain is one million tax-free dollars deposited directly into my checking acouunt. Koch brothers, are you listening?

October 17, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  56. bud rupert, reston, va

NO because if anyone thinks the United States tax code system will be scrapped for some kind of flat tax or any derivation thereof they are kidding themselves. It's easy to give the speeches and make the promises. Getting Health care Reform passed was childs play compared to trying to change the tax code. Never happen!

October 17, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  57. Terri from Blountville, TN

NO....Its a get your attention sound bite not a solution.When will we have enough of the folksy, cute phrases with no substance?

October 17, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  58. Gary - Woodhaven, Michigan

This plan was presented because of it's simplicity not because of any rational.

Those who would vote for this man because of this plan would therefor be simpletons.

It is thus understandable a large element of the Republican party would have to vote for him.

October 17, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  59. Kenneth in California

The last time I looked we the people owe almost 15 trillions of dollars on our national dept. No I won't vote for anyone who isn't serious about paying down the debt, and you can't do it by more smoke and mirrors tax gimmicks, especially championed by multimillionaire candidates.

October 17, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  60. Bill of New Mexico

If I vote for Cain, it will not be for 9-9-9.

I hate paying for something, and then seeing the price jump by 10% due to sales tax.

To think of the price jumping up by 20%.

You know how the price of a car jumps when they add all that stuff to the initial price.

Think of the price of your next car–and how 9-9-9 will cause that price to jump even higher!

I have not bought a car since 2001. If 9-9-9 takes effect, I will not buy a car.

I may vote for Cain, but it will not be for 9-9-9.

October 17, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  61. Dave

No way. While his plan is simple, it is regressive. The average individual only pays 12% in federal income tax now. His plan is smoke and mirrors, and the rich definitely come out on top in the end.
    Dave
    Seattle

October 17, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  62. Tom in Desoto, TX

9-9-9 If it sounds to good to be true it probably is...as the saying goes. F-L-I-M-F-L-A-M goes the Pied Piper. How about putting a tooth that just fell out under the pillow before you go to sleep? I've found money under the pillow when I woke up.

October 17, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  63. Hawgcaller*

It's just another republican gimmick plan that won't work. Anything to avoid the real issues and distract people like usual. Wouldn't work anyway. Why is the corporate rate equal to individual rate. National sales tax on top of state and local taxes, get real. I guess gasoline will be 9 cents a gallon too.

October 17, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  64. Don

That's like saying, would free delivery get you to buy a pizza? As much as I admire Herman Caine's intestinal fortitude to get out in front, a candidate for President of the US needs more that a tax gimmic or slogan to sell himself as a viable leader of the free world. Herman Caine, like Michelle Backman and Sarah Palin, just don't have the background, experience, and worldliness to lead in these troubled times. When will people learn that running a country is not the same as running a business.

October 17, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  65. Ken Victoria BC

I can comment that in Canada we have a national sales tax at 5% but there is an exception on basic food. Plus there is a rebate for business on their purchases where by they pay no tax. I suggest the USA Government implement tax reform slowly.

October 17, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
  66. Eve of Texas

Surely you jest! 9-9-9 is a catchy phrase, but overly simplistic. His piranha running mates will eat him allive pretty soon. Eve of Texas

October 17, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
  67. Dan K

No Jack, 999 is only another ploy by a rich Republican to transfer even more of the tax burden to the poor and vanishing middle class!
    This would essentially raise everyone’s taxes but the millionaires! It gives the rich an even bigger tax break that Bush gave them. No Capital gains tax, I think NOT! In my area we would be paying 19% tax on groceries, medical needs, and with a 40% poverty rate that would make it tough for many to even put food on the table!!!
    Dan K. Owens Cross Rds, Alabama

October 17, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
  68. Mike in Minneapolis

Not likely. The last time a republican got his hands on the White House we saw more than nine years of debt and deficits, more than nine consecutive quarters of negative growth and more than nine percent unemployment.

October 17, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  69. Steve, Clifton, VA

Herman Cain couldn't get my vote if his tax plan was a "1-1-1"> I have had my share and enough of gimmick presidential candidates and presidents!

October 17, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
  70. Jeff in Bishop, Georgia

Mr. Cafferty, Herman Cain had my vote the moment he announced his candidacy last spring.

October 17, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  71. Kevin - Annapolis, MD

Of course not, a single plan shouldn't be enough for anyone to vote for a candidate. The job is too complex for that. More importantly the paucity of in depth analysis and review evident in the plan demonstrate an almost pollyannaish view of the world and economics. The plan is untenable, will actually increase the deficit and the overall burden on the already strained middle class – let alone this regressive effects on the low income folks who'll be directly impacted. No wonder he jealously guarded just who his economic advisers are... aside from a hedge fund manager and Koch Bros. alumni – he's got no one. Very sad.

October 17, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  72. RickFromDetroit

Cain's 999 plan is a tax cut for the wealthy and it will not work. The 9% income tax is going to be more tax for the 47% of Americans who pay zero income tax because of their low wages, and the Government has tried to offset the low wages with tax cuts to stimulate consumer spending, and the 9% sales tax will also affect the low income areas of the country and reduce consumer spending once again. Also, Cain has not explained what he is going to do about the loss of consumer spending we will encounter in the future when he tries to privatize SSA which will be the biggest disaster this country will ever see.

We currently IRA's, Roth IRA's, Annuities, 401k's, hundreds of investment firms and banks, but we still have 62% of our retirees living off of a SSA check every month, and lets not forget what happened to every ones investments during the financial meltdown 3 years ago, and what would have happened if it weren't for the bailouts. SSA is by far the safety net this country needs to prevent a total economic collapse, and if we had any elected officials in this country who could see beyond the end of there noses, they would know this.

The only way that a flat tax is going to work is if we have a flat wage structure whereas we pay everyone nearly the same income levels. 999 is the biggest joke there is and it is another GOP attack on the middle class while the wealthy continue to steal as usual.

October 17, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  73. Scott in Michigan

Absolutely. At least somebody is looking for an innovative way to get out of this mess, versus just rehashing the same old ideas. It may actually increase the taxes I am paying, but at least I know EVERYBODY is sharing in the tax burden, including the 45% of households who pay no Federal income tax. 9-9-9 may not be perfect, but at least it gets everybody paying a fair share – the way it is supposed to be.

October 17, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  74. Rhonda Gerber

It's regressive, duh, the less money you make, the more 9% takes of your income, and vice versa. Same old story, the rich get richer, etc.

October 17, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  75. Ruth from Indianapolis

He said that "some people will pay more, others will pay less". That is true. If you work for a living, you pay more. If your income comes from investment, you may less. If you inherit a fortune, you pay less.

The burden falls on the poor and working people. The rich will get richer than they are now.

Would I vote for this? Do you really need an answer?

October 17, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  76. James in Springfield, VA

No, he is a CEO and this country does not need a CEO running it because he will give all the big businesses and banks all the perks they want and do nothing for the middle class.

October 17, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  77. Ros.....Illinois

No Never. All he is going to do is transfer the tax burden over to the poor. Cain has no idea what he is trying to sell to the people and is relying on the news media to get it out there for him. He can't explain what it is all about. I won't vote for Cain, Romney or any other Republican. I'm not wealthy, so therefore they won't help me. The Koch Bros. are using Cain to get what they want and Cain can't even see it. Duh.
    Vote Democrat.

October 17, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  78. Jeff In Minnesota

While I hate to admit that Michele Bachmann is right, I have to say her comment about the devil being in the details is right on. While Mr. CAin's 9-9-9 plan is simple, it is not as painless as Mr. Cain portrays it, particularly to the poor and lower middle class where it will be very regressive. There is a reason why our income tax is graduated and that is to tax those in society that can afford taxes. The tax code needs to be totally revised to reflect America's new and future priorities, not the past's. Mr. Cain's 9-9-9 plan is one person's attempt to do that, but it is not the way to accomplish that revision. Congress and the President need to set America's goals and then create a tax code that supports and reinforces those goals. This is likely simpler than one would think as most of America's goals are already agreed to by members of both parties. Trying to create a tax code without establishing the country's goals is like trying to cook a soufle without a recipe. You get nothing but a mess and disaster.

October 17, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
  79. Lloyd, Penticton, Canada

Kind of a surprise that Herman Cain is polling so well with the Republicans. Maybe they haven't seen pictures of him and don't realize he is an African/American.
    Being a Canadian I don't get a vote, but nice to be able to give an opinion.
    His 9-9-9 tax plan should obviously go over well with Republicans, as apparently it will reduce taxes for the rich and increase taxes for the lower income.
    Wonder if he is also in favor of depriving African/Americans, Latinos, seniors and the poor from their voting rights?

October 17, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  80. Cheryl in Bluffton, SC

Herman Cain thinks the recession is not real and that poor people should only blame themselves. Now he thinks he's going to get elected by raising taxes on the poor and middle class and cutting them for rich people. Bless his heart, this is what passes for smart thinking in today's Republican Party.

October 17, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  81. Ed from California

Oh, hell no!! This guy is a far right wing loon. He'll lose in those states that have no sales tax to begin with. If you lived in those states you'd be raising your taxes by 9% w/a sales tax increase. Besides his wealthy friends would still pay no tax. His buddies now pay 0%, 0%, 0%.....do you think the Kochplican's would vote for a guy who'd raise their taxes by 1% or now a combined 27%? Pres. Obama is only talking about raising taxes on the Kochplicans by 4%! A 4% increase and look at the grief he's getting. Old Herman, don't stand a chance. And his pizza's are no good either!!

October 17, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  82. Bob H. from Orlando, FL

Jack,

I, like many, have been reading up on Mr. Cain's 9-9-9 Plan. While at least someone put together a possible solution, I believe we can do better. The 9 % added sales tax that includes food would create a human-made famine because
    few could afford to buy food. I don't think he's noticed, but milk prices are about $3.79 a gallon, bread prices are $1.39 (grocery store's own label), and now peanut butter prices are about to skyrocket. The necessary comodities that are needed to sustain living are housing, food, and transportation. Oh, and add utilities to the mix. By increasing these via an increased sales tax can only cause more harm than good for the majority. The poor- those getting food assistance – would completely fall off the scale. While Mr. Cain is riding the tide of his proposal, one can only hope that the rest of the Republican presidential hopefuls can capture the opportunity to author other possible solutions. Other things must be considered when considering any presidential candidate such as views on foreign policy, the handling of our worldwide committments, and our place in the world. But, it all starts with making America economically healthy again.

October 17, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
  83. Jenna Roseville CA

Would Herman Cain's 9-9-9 tax plan get you to vote for him?

NEIN-NEIN-NEIN

Seriously Jack, the Koch-Cain plan is DOA. It hurts the poor and helps the wealthy/corporations.

So NEIN he does NOT have my vote should he win the Republican nomination.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

October 17, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  84. Pete/Ark

Every time I hear Cain I'm eerily reminded of "Sheriff"Cleavon Little addressing the"angry townfolk" in Blazing Saddles; a conjob is still a conjob.By the way Jack,you might advise your fundementalist viewers to look at "9-9-9"upside down... and then remember WHY the corrupt politicians sent the new"Sheriff"in the first place.

October 17, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  85. Bob, St. Thomas PA

His "999" plan may be a step in the right direction, if for no other reason that it adresses the complicated tax code we have now. However, his pro-Fed and pro-war positions are a death sentence in my book.

October 17, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  86. MNResident

Flate rates, no "loopholes" for millionaires or those trying to "game the sytem"-the plan is at least a starting point for discussion. There is still a long way to go (not one single offical vote has been cast in a primary, caucus, or general election), but it appears "The Cain Mutiny" against the established political and media class is on its' way......

October 17, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  87. Dennis

Once again a tax plan that benifits the WEALTHY over the working class. I say his tax plan is really 666 mark of the beast. Want a fair tax code treat investment income just like wage's. Also cut all tax breaks to corpparations that move jobs oversea's

October 17, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  88. Mel - Houston

No, Jack. I am for a fair tax not a flat tax. If it were progressive in nature I think that it would get a lot more support. Here is example: 5% = $10000 – 50000, 10% = $50000 – 100000, 15% = $100000 – 250000, 20% = 250000 – 1000000+

October 17, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  89. Gigi Oregon

NO!...I'm never voting Republican again.

October 17, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  90. Renee Peoria,Ill

Are they making snowmen in hell yet?

October 17, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  91. Dave - Phx

Absolutely not, this guy is a Koch brothers schill. Anyone that wants me to pay more in taxes under the guise of less income tax is a moron and so are the tea partiers that follow him.

October 17, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  92. Kevin in CA

Absolutely ... if I were one of the 1% er's.

October 17, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  93. Chandler in Rockaway, NJ

Jack,
    Cain's plan is delusional nonsense that every responsible analyst says would raise taxes on the poor and middle class (the large majority), lower taxes the wealthy (a small minority), and replace only about 80% of current revenue. I already pay a 7% sales tax - 16% would be crushing. However, it would not be the first time a Republican bamboozled a lot of people into voting against their own economic interests.

October 17, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
  94. Amy from Muncie, IN

I think the 9% sales tax should apply only to goods made outside of the U.S. (and ALL goods should have to state where they're made – including food and drugs). If he made that part of the plan I'd consider him even though I'm a Democrat. We have to de-incentivize shipping jobs overseas.

October 17, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  95. Chrispy, San Francisco

Not after he unveiled his 6 6 6 plan to electrocute Mexicans. Maybe he can alienate his African American base by telling some lynching jokes. Cain should leave the joke to SNL.

October 17, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  96. MYSTEROIUS

You forgot that the tax is for new stuff, not used stuff. To answer your question. NO.

October 17, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  97. Ray in Knoxville

Jack, my sales tax is already 9.25% and his 999 plan won't change local and state sales taxes. No, I won't support him, he's supporting tax reform that enables him to pay no income tax! We don't need more Republican economic policies that have already destroyed the middle class in this country.

October 17, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  98. Lori - PA

Jack,

I have never been a fan of the Republicans. Over the years, my opinion of them has only gotten worse. Given their tendency to want to force their beliefs on the American people [in the form of legislation], and given how they pander to the wealthy, I don't see myself voting for anyone currently trying to win the nomination. No matter how good an idea they have MIGHT be.

October 17, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  99. liberaldunce

I'll vote for anyone if it gets these country ruining liberals out of office.

Regardless, I like Cain even if he didn't propose the new tax code.

October 17, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
  100. Elliot Udell

If every election is a "local election," then I would not vote for Herman Cain because I am a middle class voter and his plan would raise my taxes.

October 17, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  101. Don

After they got finished writing the legislation, most of us in the country would be paying an addition 9% on top of whatever else the "politicians and lobbyists" could dream up. It would be no different than it is today other than, it would be a new set of rules to penalize all of us by. It's a nice catchy phrase but so is pizza – pizza – pizza!

October 17, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  102. Bob

I just can't get behind a Former banker running this country..

October 17, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  103. Greg

It is very clear new 27% tax on middle class. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. Corporate Tax will exclude deduction for wages which means businesses will have to find money by cutting wages. So it is 9+9+9=27. Fair Tax is absolutely regressive and will penalize middle class. And the Sales tax will grow every year to match budget needs. It is a non-starter.

October 17, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  104. Melissa

Anything that is against the middle class and the poor and for the rich means no. Not a chance in hell.

October 17, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  105. Eric of Reseda

Dear Jack, Herman Cain could PAY my taxes and I wouldn't vote for him! He's a pizza salesman, for crying out loud! And here's the story none of you guys are reporting: His pizza is LOUSY!!! And I simply CANNOT vote for a man who makes a lousy pizza...

Eric Beck
    Reseda, CA

October 17, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  106. richard cavanaugh

Sure Jack, I feel bad for wealthy hedge fund managers. They need love too.

October 17, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  107. JeffinIL

I don't believe that a pizza deal makes for good tax policy.

October 17, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  108. Jack

No. How can you justify 9% sales tax on someone making $1000 or less on SS plus whatever sales tax they already pay in their state. No way this is fair to poor and eldery.

October 17, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  109. SouthPolNor

The plan looks very interesting and has high probablity of jump starting the economy. I like the plan.
    When a corporation has to pay just 9%. I am sure there woudl be lots of jobs created.
    One of the best plans so far.

October 17, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  110. Cindy

This guy doesn't have a chance! He is very mean-spirited to slap such a tax on the poor and middle class. He is telling people to buy used! How does buying used create new jobs! I would never vote for this man!

October 17, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  111. MIark from Voorhees, NJ

I wouldn't vote for this clown with a gu

October 17, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  112. Tim Fotinos

No. Taxes have a way of growing. Its too easy for 999 to become 15 15 15. However if Mr Cain floats a serious plan to flatten and simplify federal income taxes with a single large exemption, I'm listening.

October 17, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  113. dude, NYC

This 9-9-9 thing makes me want to call 911...Just a gimmick from the fat cats to get what is left of the middle class to pay more...

October 17, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  114. ronbo

heck no. local, state sales tax plus 9% for the feds. i am a high school teacher and work 2-3 jobs to earn a living wage and glad to do so, but the feds don't deserve 9% of my money in a regressive scheme that allows me a break only if i buy used. that's class warfare if ever i heard it.

October 17, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
  115. Lorenzo

too early to tell but.....at least he put the flat tax debate and the reform of the monstrous Tax code into play....and for that THANK YOU!

October 17, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
  116. James from Alhambra, CA

No chance. I am not ready to pay 18% sales tax on things I buy (federal sales tax plus state sales tax). This plan really looks like it favors big business to me, look at all the things they get to write off. I get to write off charitable giving, nothing else.

October 17, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  117. James V.

LOLOLOL. Come on Jack, can't you come up with a serious question?

October 17, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  118. Jon

This is class warfare. Most of a poor person's income goes to purchase goods where only a small portion of a rich person's does. Poor people would pay much more in proportion to their income.

October 17, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  119. Shawn

Hell no. It's wasn't even enough to get me to buy his pizza.

October 17, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  120. AustinAbe

I don't think so. Someone who just ran a pizza place. Many have succeed but I don't see them running and knowing i tall.

October 17, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  121. jr

r u kidding? none of these clowns have 9-9-9 chance in hell of beating OBAMA! I think ill vote to see Obama for another 4!

October 17, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  122. GeorgeGray

The poor and "just getting by" are going to just love a 9% sales tax. What could be better for retail sales, and retail employment, especially during the holidays? Indeed, this could be the last nail in the coffin of the economy, to the extent the performance of the economy is a function of "aggregate demand."

October 17, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  123. al

not me or anyone in my family will vote for him

October 17, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  124. M.J.

The GOP is the party of NO. Cain is just expressing himself in German.

-Mesa AZ

October 17, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
  125. gary

cain is a jokeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

October 17, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
  126. Robert Cook, St. Johnsville, NY

Jack, it seems like a great idea, but I doubt it will work. On the plus side, the additional revenue from those operating illegally within the United States will actually start paying in. Also, they're supposed to give you a monthly rebate if you make under a certain amount, which I also agree with. He could have had my vote, if he hadn't already voted for Romney in 2008...

October 17, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  127. Chris in IL

nein, nein, nein!! I'll give Though, its right in line with the GOP mentality of enrich the rich, it's DOA. As is Hermans chances of living in the White House.

October 17, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  128. Rich, Outside the Windy City

Does not compute to me, plus I have lots of questions.

If tax revenue will be flat and "most will pay less". That means the rest will pay a lot more. After if you need 4, you can add 2+2 or 1+3. Either way it is still 4.

There are a lot of unaswered – what about tax free bonds. WIll they still be tax free? Will they be grandfathered? Roth IRA?

Cain could not answer the question about corporate income tax from multi-national companies.

His idea sounds like a grade proposal. Sounds good until you look at it carefully. Besides do you think the man can govern. Government is not a corporate structure. What will he do when congress does not go along with ideas? Fire them?

We need leadership who knows how to get things done (a failure of Obama), not ideas that are not well thought out.

October 17, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  129. Mark L. (Hagerstown, MD)

Herman Cain has as much of a chance of earning my vote as does Michele Bachmann, Rick Perry, Newt Gingrich, Mitt Romney, Jon Huntsman, etc. – A BIG FAT 0% CHANCE. OBAMA / BIDEN in 2012 !!

October 17, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  130. Bill Boutwell

Mr. Cain's 9-9-9 plan seems to have merit. It would simplify the confusing tax code. The plan would also provide for an equitable taxing solution as everyone pays the same tax, with no deductions. I would also ask the question, just who are the "rich"? It seems to me that it is becoming fashionable to attack those individuals who, through hard work, manage to achieve financial success. Isn't that the American dream?

October 17, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  131. Cindy

I love the concept of a new simplified tax code. However, to get a federal sales code, there will be constitutional ramifications. It shows Cain's inexperience with government that he doesn't know what all is entailed in working outside our US Constitution.

October 17, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  132. Scott Stodden

Absolutley Not Jack, I've Studied And Studied This Plan And Actually Thought It Was A Great Idea Until I Studied It And This Tax Plan Would Give Relief And Tax Credits To The Rich And Make The Poor And Middle-Class Suffer More Than Ever Before! It's True We Do Need To Revise And Change Our Taxing Plan But Let's Not Do It By Making The Poor And Middle-Class In This Country Suffer!

Scott Stodden (Freeport, Illinois)

October 17, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  133. Ben Neuhart

Ahh! No. Couldn’t afford too.

October 17, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  134. Rajiv Shaw

I do not think a catchy 9-9-9 is an intelligently thought- out plan, but because it sounds good, it will fool many people into voting for him. It is shameful how this shows that he has so low an opinion of the American public.

October 17, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  135. chris, dayton OH

So the atmosphere in America is one of anger and unrest and this guy introduces a 'tax plan' that will lower taxes on most of the ultra wealthy and raise tax on the average middle class American? And he's running for president? These people don't even try to hide which side they're on anymore. Thankfully, we know he's on the side of the Koch Brothers and that's reason enough for the middle class and the poor to avoid this guy altogether.

October 17, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  136. Eric Friedrich

I wouldn't even buy his pizza for 9.99

October 17, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  137. Mike, Calgary

Will Cain's plan cause me to vote for him? NEIN! NEIN! NEIN!

October 17, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  138. Elizabeth

Sounds like a simple plan for a much complex country. Wish it were this simple to fix our tax situation. At least it has people talking,and talking and talking and talking and talking.................................................When are we going to get honest about what is going on?

October 17, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  139. Linda

Cain is just another flash in the pan! Wouldn't vote for him, no way, no how. On the other hand, let the republicans select the least electable, so Obama has a second chance for the presidency. Obama can' t be any worse then all the republican candidates that are thinking about running the country. And I say running the country loosely.

October 17, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  140. Sam

NO. But I would consider looking at him further if he came up with something like: 25-10-5. 25 for the wealthiest, 10 middle class, 5 lower class. If he wants me to 'even consider" listening to him – let me hear something that makes sense come out of his mouth, and that is – the wealthiest are going to rightfully pay more and lower income less at 5% – NOW THAT MAKES SENSE CAIN. Otherwise Cafferty – stop wasting our time on this crackpot. Who btw, has no background to run "a country." lol The best he could offer the country is free pizza for everyone! Yeah, now I want this guy in office!

October 17, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  141. Taylor

Jack, I'm reading all of the responses on your blog and I find it funny that the people bashing Herman Cain's 9-9-9 plan are under-educated on the amount of growth that this plan can create. Herman Cain has a BS in Mathematics, I have an odd feeling that his critiques may not have the same education and experience he has had. If you want to create jobs you start here. The government runs a 14 trillion dollar debt so why would you trust them with them money?

October 17, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  142. Richard

When will our legislator's get it. It's not the tax rates so much as all of the deductions, credits, exclusions, etc. that make filling out our taxes a nightmare. If we had a simpler structure there, anybody could do their own taxes. Considering Cain is a Republican, I smell rotten fish with 9-9-9!

October 17, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  143. Rob

I love all these folks that embrace 9-9-9 because it is the kind of basic overhaul our tax code needs. Change for the sake of change usually doesn't work out too well... Herman Cain's tax plan is a joke that will raise taxes on the poor and middle class, and transfer even more wealth to the ruling uberwealthy class. Anybody notice there are no taxes on capital gains and dividends, which is where much of the super wealthy income is derived? People complain about US corporate taxes being too high, but the reality of what US corporations actually PAY after taking advantage of loopholes, waivers, and special accounting rules, is very, very different from the rates listed by IRS.

I'll vote for the first person that decides to use real facts and comes up with well-considered solutions that are fair across the board and are intended to move this country forward. So far, I haven't heard any of the Republican candidates do anything but try to convince me their particular magic wand can do the trick. Maybe Harry Potter should run; I'd vote for him before I vote for Herman Cain.

October 17, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  144. B Tabor

Absolutely not! He is clueless!!

October 17, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  145. Claire

Since the Koch brothers are backing Mr. Cain, it tells me that the 9-9-9 plan is to take more of my money and give it to the millionaires and billionaires who've already stolen pension plans from us, pay the working class less than they're worth and have us middle class Americans paying most of the taxes. No thanks.
    If 1% of American's have 80% of the wealth in this country they should be paying 80% of the taxes.

October 17, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  146. D Pelletier

Heck no, the guy doesn't have the brains or commonsense to be president. If his 9-9-9 idea was a good idea, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

October 17, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  147. Tad Pole

Simple ideas for simple minds! I love it, and you know that is all that matters. Sorry for the rest of you that actually wanted someone with workable albeit complexer ideas; My vote has been cast.

October 17, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  148. Susan

Nothing would persuade me to vote for Herman Cain, but his tax plan is a great reason to vote against him. It couldn't be more unfair to the non-wealthy.

October 17, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  149. Mark, Tempe Az

Sorry, Jack, but no mantra, even one as "clever" as 9-9-9 would get me to vote for Herman Cain.

October 17, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  150. Jim

Jack,

The 9-9-9 plan is a sham and Cain knows it. It's one more attempt by the wealthiest in this country, specifically the Koch brothers in this case, to bamboozle the poor and middle class Americans into shouldering a greater share of the tax burden so the rich can shoulder less. Have you noticed how all of the proposals to cut spending invariably focus on spending that helps the poor and middle class? Let's get rid of Social Security. Let's get rid of Medicare and Medicaid. Let's get rid of unemployment benefits. But tax the millionaires a bit more? Get rid of obsolete tax benefits for oil companies? Hell no! We can't do that! That's class warfare! The one advantage that the majority has against the rhetoric and financial backing of candidates like Cain is our votes. We need to wake up and vote smart, not for the latest well-funded snake oil salesman but for someone who can lead us out of this mess.

Jim
    Reno, Nevada

October 17, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  151. Jorge

Republicans!!!! gotta love them!!!!! so we would pay 9% on all we spend which for the 99% of Us is every penny we make (just so we can barely survive!) and the remaining 1% pays 9% on what they spend which is about 1% of what they make (since the remaining 99% is sitting on stocks and cash so it never gets spent!) sounds to me more like the plan should be called 1-99-zero-future

October 17, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  152. Danny K

No, but I want to order a pizza now.

October 17, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  153. Freddie in Marietta, GA

Hardly. Just another way keep the rich from paying their fair share. Put money in the pockets of those that cannot afford to save – that's the way of starting up into the economy.

October 17, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  154. Thomas

I'd like to see more concrete details of this plan. Who really stands to benefit with this 999 plan? Sure sounds like it won't be the middle and lower classes. It might sound good to simplify the tax code as he suggests, but perhaps the devil is in the details. Turning the tax code on it's head by means of a "999" plan is just plain bad karma. The Number of the Beast in disguise to be our salvation taxation-wise? Let's hope for something better.

October 17, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  155. rohug

Figured out my taxes on his plan it would be about 2,000.00 less a year than I am paying. I am far from being wealthy it would be a heck of a lot better than what we currently have. VOTE OUT ALL CAREER POLITICIANS!!! VOTE CAIN!

October 17, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  156. Mark from New Jersey

Get serious. I wouldn't vote for this clown with a gun to my head. As a member of the board of Aquila, he managed to replicate the business practices of Enron with a similar result. Just what America needs, another mendacious maniac with his hand in everyone's pocket.

October 17, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  157. oldsoldierboy

No way. Apparently all republicans are playing Simcity 4. If this goes through, the game will be on us.

October 17, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  158. David from Nashville

If his 9% on income applied to Capital Gains and ALL form of income (excluding inheritance), I would consider voting for him and I am a Democrat.

October 17, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
  159. Kirk Powers

999 was borrowed from SIM CITY.. a video game.. No. Cain is a global banking cartel insider.. He is not for the people... I will only vote for someone that is pro constitution. 999 is not so i will most likely vote Ron Paul.

October 17, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
  160. BD70

Just for the record..Cain surged in the polls when he dissed his own people. NOT because of his 9-9-9 plan. NO I would not vote for him even if he promised to raise taxes only on the rich.

October 17, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
  161. Mike

Jack,

YES, I support Mr. Cain's common sense, apolitical approach to most of our nation's politically generated problems. My concern, however, is that we are already well beyond the tipping point and our slide into socialism is irreversable. I hope I'm wrong.

October 17, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
  162. John-Michigan

Even if it's a good plan–which it isn't–it will never get passed by congress.

October 17, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
  163. BIll in VA

October 17, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
  164. Tonya

Yes, I would vote for Cain. A flat tax would get rid of the bloated IRS who run rampant over Americans. No one can understand the tax code and the burden is too onerous for individuals to try and understand. Each American should pay their fair share in taxes regardless of income. This is supposed to be the land of opportunity not the land of free rides. Why in the world would anyone want to penalize success except that they are jealous of the success that others enjoy. Guess what, people get rich because they apply themselves, take risks and work 80-120 hours a week instead of 40. Why should you work twice as hard so that you have to give your money to those too lazy to work at all? I am sick of all of the entitlement talk. Maybe these people will understand when 100% of the population feels entitled to what others have and there is no one left to take it from. I have trouble supporting my own family when both of us work because we are white middle class and there are no entitlement programs for us. We struggle to send our kids to college without one dime of aid all the while working so that we can pay for others' kids to go for free. I am tired of supporting everyone else. My family should be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor! We are definitely drifting towards socialism and our grandparents are turning in their graves.

October 17, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  165. Jan K. in Asotin,Wa.

No-no-no. Nine times no. I am clinging to the middle class by my fingernails and don't need someone stepping on them. Plus his relationship to the Koch brothers is very troubling as is his "joke" on immigration!

October 17, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  166. Roberta Douglas

A simple NO is all is required to say!

October 17, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  167. Scott S.

Not at all. How could anybody possibly think that adding a national sales tax would grow the economy? In some states, you could be paying nearly 20% just in sales tax. That's $120 for a $100 purchase, which might come close to the average weekly grocery bill. "9-9-9" is bumper sticker garbage, not an actual solution.

October 17, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  168. Brett

it sounds great that is all he cares about. i completely agree with getting rid of a lot of the tax breaks we get in this country, maybe people would live more within their means, but seriously a 9% sales tax. this is something the people would feel every day of their lives or at least the 4 years he was in. shopping would slow to stop and with an economy that runs on consumption, wham, there goes all those sales taxes for the states.

October 17, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  169. Paul

Let's all cheer for regressive tax plans! Only the poor will pay more, but hey that's what the GOP wants.

October 17, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
  170. Mike

Not likely. Consider two wage earners, one making $500,000 pa and one just above the poverty line at, say, $25,000 per for a family of four. The "high" earner pays all his bills, pays his taxes, lives well, saves and invests. Cain would cut his Fed tax rate from, say 25% to 9%, and eliminate Social Security and Capital Gains taxes. if he lives in Virginia he pays 5% sales tax. 4% more, assuming the 9% is not on top of the VA 5%, is really not a problem. This person is in fat city.
    The other guy probably doesn't pay any Fed tax, and perhaps no FICA either. But he spends just about every dime he earns keeping family and home together. He saves nothing and has no investments. He too lives in Virginia and pays the 5% sales tax. With Cain's 999, he's now paying 9% off the top, plus the bump on his sales tax. But Cain says the sales tax will only be on "new" goods – yep, like food, clothing, gasoline for the car, heating for his house, and so forth. Yeah, he can "save money" by not buying "new." Let's see, you can dumpster dive behind local restaurants for food and buy all your clothing at a second-hand shop. Mr. Cain grew up poor. He seems to have turned his back on his heritage.

October 17, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
  171. steven harnack sunnyvale,ca.

Here in CA. I would be paying a tax of 17 cents out of every dollar for the things I buy to survive. With a fixed income of about 10 thousand per year..well, I would shoot myself before I would vote for Cain.

October 17, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
  172. Not All Docs Play Golf

Jack, what we really need to solve our nation's economic probelms is a PIZZA TAX. People would pay taxes only on pizza. Obesity rates would go down, pizza executives would have to wear cheaper American-made suits, creating jobs in the the suffering textile industry, and carbon emmisions would be cut by the lack of demand for pizza delivery. Let's call a pizzza summit and talk about it.

October 17, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
  173. Bill

I dont believe anyone in the country knows what would happen if this plan was enacted, it too complex involving billions of dollars. If the rich still have all their write off's, they will figure out how not pay their 9% and that is what I think will happen.
    However, I would be willing to try the plan then modify if it fails.

October 17, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
  174. duff

hell no, I wouldn't vote for him or any other swinish republican. All modern western democracies are marked by progressive tax policies.9-9-9 by its very nature is regressive because people with a lower income have to spend a larger percentage (usually all) on basic necessities like food, rent, utilities etc. Whereas people who make a lot of money can spend their money on frivolities. Anyone who votes for this guy is the definition of tool.

October 17, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
  175. marva

No! While I support the concept of a flat tax – elimination of deductions, tax credits, etc. – I strongly oppose a national sales tax. I view a national sales tax as oppressive of the population as a whole and not at all helpful in encouraging economic growth – why would anyone willingly pay an additional 9% in FEDERAL sales tax on top of states' individual sales tax rates? And, the idea that businesses would be able to deduct capital purchases in bulk is a good one until one realizes that this has been the rule for some time now and limiting such a rule to American-made products is prohibitive to the extent that very little is manufactured – in its entirety – in the U.S. Some items are "assembled" in the U.S. but the components thereof are manufactured elsewhere.

I believe his desire to eliminate ALL capital gains tax to be counter-productive BUT may be inclined to consider an exemption on such income to a point. It is absurd to contemplate allowing those making MILLIONS+ annually to pay NOTHING on investment transfers, etc.

October 17, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
  176. Dan from Hollywood FLA

The problem with the tax code is that it is too complex so changes are hard to make. 9-9-9 can easily be tweaked to 10-10-10 if money isn't coming in fast enought or 8-8-8 if it is coming in too fast. You do the math.

October 17, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  177. Ezequias

Cain's plan might not be perfect but is many orders of magnitude better than the current tax system in the US. Many of the so-called third world countries have much better tax and fiscal policies and systems. People know what they will have to pay, have an easy and quick assess to their tax returns via the Internet, etc, etc. The current tax system in the US is as good and transparent as the medical one...

October 17, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  178. Dan from Stewartstown PA

The income inequality in our country is at record highs. Mr. Cain's plan would hurt the ever shrinking middle class and the ever growing ranks of the poor and dispossesed while enhancing the coffers of the ultra rich. Would I support his 9-9-9 plan? NO-NO-NO!

October 17, 2011 at 4:53 pm |