How likely do you think it is that the U.S. would elect two black presidents in a row?
Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain, a fiscal and social conservative, won a recent Florida straw poll.
October 5th, 2011

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

"Black walnut isn't a flavor of the week." So says Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain. The businessman and former chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City is talking about his own surge in the polls.

As Cain sees it, he just might be the second black president of the United States.

Several new national polls show Cain closing the gap with front-runner Mitt Romney - as Texas Gov. Rick Perry falls off a cliff.

In one poll, Cain is even tied for first place with Romney.

Just this hour, CNN is out with our first poll of polls on the 2012 Republican horse race.

It shows Romney at the top of the pack with 20%. He's followed closely by Cain at 17%. Rick Perry, who was briefly the GOP front-runner, is now at 15%.

The rest of the candidates are all in single digits.

Cain, who's picked up steam since his surprise victory in the Florida straw poll, is laying out his path to victory.

He tells ABC News that his goal is to finish in the top three in Iowa and New Hampshire, and then win in South Carolina and Florida. Might happen.

Meanwhile, as Cain gets stronger, President Obama is getting weaker.

A new Washington Post/ABC News poll shows that four in 10 Americans "strongly" disapprove of how Obama is handling his job. That's a record high.

The poll also shows that 43% of independents and 47% of seniors strongly disapprove. You can't win re-election with numbers like that.

Even many Democrats aren't supporting this president. Just look at Congress: Harry Reid blocked a vote on the president's job bill in the Senate, because Democrats don't have the votes to pass it.

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Ted in Hershey, Pennsylvania:
Not probable, but about 30%. He might make a good vice president though. Cain has some pretty good ideas and has management experience!

Ken in Connecticut:
I would love to see Herman Cain get elected. He has by far the most impressive resume of the Republican candidates and I like his 9-9-9 plan for re-writing the tax code. He also has the will to get things done in Washington. I hope people listen to what he is saying!

W.D.:
When hell freezes over. I am black and the country has lost its mind. The Republicans are pretending that it isn't racism. PLEASE!

Jon in North Carolina:
Not very likely because liberals are threatened by female or minority conservatives and will do everything possible to destroy them. Think Sarah Palin or Clarence Thomas.

Floyd in Georgia:
Very easy. Obama and Obama.

Larry in Ohio:
Jack, It really is too bad that we even have to ask this question. It is not likely. And that is too bad. Herman Cain would be such a great improvement over the present occupant of the White House!

Darell in Arkansas writes on Facebook:
I don't know but I would giggle my self silly watching Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi go to the polls with two black men on the ballot.

Rene in Mableton, Georgia:
Hi Jack. About as likely as President Obama's job's bill is to pass the House!

Tom in Forest Hills, Pennsylvania:
Jack, It’s about as likely as me hitting the lottery. But if I hit, I’ll cut you in.

1. Bill in Houston

The odds are higher than the Power Ball drawing!

The Republicans are doing everything in their power to get rid of the current black man in office – there is no way they will support or allow another black man to come from their party to fill the highest office in the land!

October 5, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
  2. ranch111

Once you go black, you never go back?

October 5, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
  3. Name*Jon C

Herman Cain seems to have the most logical ideas from the Tea Party (formerly known as the GOP) but there is something about his appearance that the Tea Party doesn't like. So, no.

Jon
    Minneapolis, MN

October 5, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
  4. Chuck Reichmuth

I do not believe race would be an issue in any election now and in the future. If you look at current campaign polling it is in fact quite likely.

October 5, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
  5. Bob Chicago

As likely as another American Civil War.

October 5, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
  6. Juan Gonzalez (New Orleans)

I think it's highly likely after 3 years of high debt, high unemployment, take over of our economy, war with about 1/4 the middle east, and so much more. Herman Cain has run a Business. I believe he would do away with the wars, put education back in the hnads of individual states and families, and get our economy moving again.

October 5, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
  7. David , Laguna Niguel CA

Jack are you trying to promote racism? Why not talk about credentials,track records and their proposals to fix our national problems instead the color of their skin?

October 5, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
  8. Gary - Woodhaven, Michigan

I would surely like to think we would elect any person we judge to be capable regardless or race, religion, or sexual preference.

Until our emotions are blind to such trivialities we will never be a true democracy, and I believe in the next couple generations prejudice and bigotry will vanish as there will be less and less of us older folks to teach such hatred.

October 5, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
  9. Carl

Jack,

Black has nothing to do with it, the one we have now is just another idiot politician. All politicians have their own agenda, which is, to serve themselves!!

October 5, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
  10. Steve

Once is enough.

October 5, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  11. David R Bebeau,Springfield Missouri

Jack,that is a great question and I can only speak for myself and I can tell you that I would vote for Cain in a
    heatbeat nooo problem.I would hope upon hope that this nation is color blind by now.
    David

October 5, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
  12. Greg in Arkansas

I am an Obama supporter and live in the south where racism is still alive but well hidden so I think it's more likely you'll find a porcupine in a petting zoo than have a half-black president replaced by a full black president

October 5, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
  13. Pat in Michigan

The GOP would never allow that to happen.Herman Cain is a sideshow just like Ron Paul.

October 5, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
  14. Pete in Georgia

Jack, are you sure you won't be repremanded by your politically correct "superior" superiors for asking this delicate question ??
    For me, I don't care if Herman Cain is chartreuse. All I see is a decent guy who has a "traceable, transparant" past history, well educated, has conservative views that favors freedom of enterprise..........you know, free enterprise. He knows more about how the FREE market, a market not strangled by high taxes and loony regulations, creates jobs, not BIG GOVERNMENT.
    I'd vote for Mr. Cain in a New York minute !!!

October 5, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
  15. Terry in Virginia

Sure, why not? What does one's race (or gender) have to do with competence and ability to do the job? Nothing. I'd vote for a one-eyed purple people eater (old song) if he or she can do the job and lead our country back into better times.

October 5, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
  16. virginia - Atlanta, GA

I prefer that we elect the same Black President twice in a row. President Obama has shown strength, intelligence, and patience with all of those who don't recognize that Bullies aren't strong – just loud. I prefer a level head leading us, not someone who shouts and pushes and throws out one line slogans as if they meant something.

October 5, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
  17. Jayne in NH

Highly likely since Obama will win a second term. Republicans are likely to split in two with one side running a second candidate as an independent.

October 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
  18. John from Alabama

Jack: In a world where people said, "why not?" Maybe two black men in a row could become President of the United States, but this not a nation who says why not. I believe the black man who now lives in the White House should remain the president. I think under the circumstances, President Obama, has done a great job. I think the Stimulus Act was the right move, and the American Jobs Act is the right move. But there are people who dedicated themselves to President Obama"s defeat the day after he was elected.

October 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
  19. Mark

Herman Cain is way more qualified than Obama was in 2008 and with a business background and education, he's better qualified than the other Republican candidates in my opinion. Put HC's resume up against Obama's or the others, who wold you hire to run the US? BTW, I'm a white senior citizen.
    Mark

October 5, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
  20. Ros.....Illinois

Not likely because the Republicans will not let a black man represent them. They will take Romney first even though they don't like his religion. They are very racist, in case you haven't noticed.

October 5, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
  21. Lori - PA

Jack,

Can we PLEASE leave out race and focus on what each candidate would do to turn the economic and jobs situation around? The solutions each candidate would bring to the table are way more important than the color of their skin and/or gender.

October 5, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
  22. Reggie

Any other president would be better than what we have right now with Obama. Cain is an experienced business man and if the voters see fit to elect him, I would support another black president. All black candidates should not suffer because of the dismal job that Obama is doing. There are alot of experienced black individuals out there who can do a good job as being president. Obama was just a fluke that got through but we have had enough of him so he has to go in 2012.

October 5, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
  23. Doug

If I was a London Bookmaker, I would give you a thousand to one odds at this point, but not because of Herms race. I would give you those odds, because Herm has not been vetted yet. He hasn't even been vetted a little yet, since he hasn't run for elected office before. If he is even like the average fellow, his closet is a least half full of interesting little skeletons. But to answer your question more directly, assuming Herm is vettable, I would say 25%, or one in four if Herm is a Protestant of some denomination. Religeon is more important than race in American Politics. All our Presidents were Protestants except Kennedy. We still are the Puritans. The Taliban of the West. Doug. Pepperell, MA.

October 5, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  24. Steve Newman

Not if one of them is Herman Cain.
    Washington, DC

October 5, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  25. Steve Newman

Highly likely, since Obama seems a cinch to beat whichever "Mighty Mite" he faces.

October 5, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  26. kathy

How likely do you think it is that the U.S. would elect two human beings (without labels) in a row?

October 5, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  27. David in Tampa

About the same chance I have of getting elected to anything Jack, None and less than None.

October 5, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
  28. Loren

I don't care what color my President is, I just want him capable enough to manage this country. Herman Cain seems to be talking common sense, something that seems to be in short supply in Congress and the White House at present, so maybe if the press would take him seriously, we would get a decent chance to evaulate his candidacy, instead of having to listen to the idiocy of Rick Perry and Michelle Bachmann.

October 5, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
  29. Andrew (Philadelphia)

To be honest with you, I think it's very possible. A lot of people still feel guilty about the whole raciest issue that occurred years ago, and because of that not only do I think black people vote for Obama, but a lot of people that are not black will vote for him as well. It's a shame that his race has a lot to do with his presidency, but I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles.

October 5, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  30. Lou, Fayetteville, NC

They may be two blacks in a row but one is Republican and one is Democrat. Neither know/knew anything about running this Government and perhaps neither know/knew that there is an art to communication and getting along with people who don't think like you do in order to get something done. Both needed to spend some time with Christi or President Clinton in order to know HOW TO WORK WITH PEOPLE. I basically think we are totally color blind now and just want someone who can get something done. Color doesn't prove attitude or disprove attitude.

October 5, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  31. Rene from Mableton, GA

Hi Jack, about as likely as President Obama's Job's Bill is to pass the house!

October 5, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  32. lou

Not likely if you're talking about Herman Cain being the second. His 9-9-9 plan won't work. 9% sales tax on top of the local sales tax people already pay to fund their state? This plan will have us at the mercy of retail spending as a way to pay for the government. What happens when spending is down like it is now? We would have to constantly be trying to guess how much revenue would be coming in based on whether or not folks were shopping. Meanwhile, corporations would get off easy again with a low, flat, 9% rate.

October 5, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  33. barbara in nc

Only if they are both intelligent, fair-minded, diplomatic, and not one extreme or the other.

We've had all the extremes we need - vote the obstructionists OUT.

October 5, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  34. kathy

This question is predicated on the fact that anything other than a white male Protestant serving as President of the United States, which has been the case since George Washington (except for Kennedy and now Obama), is pretty much unacceptable and just because it happened once does not mean it will ever happen again. I find the question itself objectionable and I'm sure I'll find the responses equally upsetting.

Will we EVER mature enough to get beyond labels and simply look at each other and value each other as fellow human beings?

October 5, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  35. Rich McKinney, Texas

Greater odds then winning the Powerball lottery twice in one week. It isn't the color of skin that is important in America Jack. It all boils down to who has the most money. The problem with this however is that who ever is elected then has to pay all of those large donors back. That sets the presidents agenda and future policy. He who has the gold makes the golden rules..

October 5, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  36. Conrad

Slim and none and slim just left town...

October 5, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
  37. Floyd - Crescent City, CA

Very easy. Obama and Obama.

October 5, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  38. Noel Sivertson Roswell New Mexico.

Perhaps not today, but certainly within the next decade or rwo. As the two generations following the Greatest Generation die off I see race becoming less and less and issue. Look around in the malls and theaters today and see how within today's generation races recreate with each other, date each other, and marry each other. It's only we dinosaurs that have a problem with race anymore.

October 5, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  39. mike halter

Not you to Jack. We have been there don that . Now give it a rest .
    They are Americans thats enough for me.

Michael Largo F.L.

October 5, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  40. Toni

Not likely Jack! After this "Compromiser and Chief's" banged up job; and I do mean "BANGED UP," it will be more harder to elect another Black president. And, jack, before anyone calls me a racist, I am a Black female just telling it like it is!

South Carolina

October 5, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  41. Mr. Snead

The issue rest with candidate's competence.

Most of America is looking for someone to provide a new direction out of our current spiral. We offer little hope for the next generation other than they will reach many of their parents current status of the under or unemployed with an overvalued mortgage and on course to be destitute in retirement

The color or religion of the candidate has little bearing to most. We as a Nation are in a slump with more than enough fingers to point. The issue of race makes for good sound bites and keeps old curmudgeons like your employed.

Love you Jack!

October 5, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  42. MNResident

In 2008 many people voted for Prsident Obama because they wanted to finally elect a black president. In 2012, I am leaning towards Herman Cain right now just to show those people who voted for Obama that it is NOT Obama's race that caused me to NOT vote for Obama in 2008–it was Obama's policies. I just hope there are enough people like me to make this happen.....

October 5, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  43. Jim, Denver CO

Jack,

If the Republican candidate is Herman Cain then probably the answer is No. President Obama will probably be re-elected because the group of possibles from the Republican side are just crappy, save John Huntsman. But he doesn't have a chance because he isn't far right enough for the Tea Party idiots.

October 5, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  44. Ted From Hershey, PA

Not probable, but about 30%. – might make a good vice president though, Cain has some pretty good ideas, and has management experience!

October 5, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
  45. Ken from Connecticut

October 5, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  46. John in N.C.

October 5, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  47. pad

good,but there will only be one Jack Cafferty ever on CNN.Jack if you need money you should run.
    Paul
    Ames,Ia

October 5, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  48. kelly, Orangeville Ontario

Considering the way the Tea Party and Republicans in general (both one in the same) have treated this President it is not likely unless the candidate is a Republican. Your question sure hits the nail on the head though Jack, the whole reason they hate him is because of his color, no matter what they say. Unfortunately the hope the right is looking for only comes if its with the great WHITE hope. And we call ourselves exceptional.

October 5, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  49. Dave - Phx

Not very likely. That is the Tea Parties whole platform, get rid of the black guy because he might care about helping people. Can't let that happen. Hank Williams Jr's comments show as much. The right wing of America cant stand that a black man was elected.

October 5, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  50. Larry,Springfield,Ohio

Jack,it really is too bad that we even have to ask this question.It is not likely.And that is too bad,Herman Cain would such a great improvement over the present occupant of the White House!

October 5, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  51. Gary Bellew

Unfortunately for all of us, it doesn't seem to matter does it?

Gary, MO

October 5, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  52. Carl

Jack,
    What do you think, Idoit and lack of experience comes in all colors, White, Black, etc., that's what we call politicians, they prove this each and everyday.

October 5, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  53. Bill of New Mexico

Two months ago, who would have considered that "shots for little girls" or "citizen college tuition for illegal aliens' children" would have been determining factors for the Republican Presidential race. From out of "left field" factors will surely arise that will affect the Republican Presidential race.

For the election of the second black President in a row, I would say that the odds are about one out of the total number of Republican candidates.

October 5, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  54. Jenna Roseville CA

Jack, you are not race baiting are you? The only thing that matters is that who we elect can do the job – regardless of race, gender, or religious belief.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

October 5, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
  55. Brad, Portland, OR

Cain is just as crazy as the other Republican candidates, except for Huntsman, who has no chance of being nominated.

The Republican candidates only care about cutting taxes for the rich and corporations, and eliminating all regulations on businesses so they can do whatever they want. None of them cares about the average American.

So I think the "second black President" is going to be Obama in his second term🙂.

October 5, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  56. Phyllis G. Williams

Not impossible. This would be a joke for the whole world as the world would know that America now
    understands Ephesians 4: 4-6 We are 1 Body, 1 Spirit, 1 Hope, 1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism,
    1 God and Father of All, above All, through All, and in us/You All (smile).

October 5, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  57. Brando

Ain't gonna happen. 2008 *was* a fluke / a glitch in the (political) system. Obama never paid his dues. There was *no* crawlin, walkin and then runnin (punned on purpose). He cut corners and all that (with the help of MSM and Ted Kennedy). And, now America is payin the price for it. I warned everyone back in 2008. But, alas, no one listened (racist, racist! I know)

October 5, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  58. kaz

It has nothing at all to do with race.. Get of the race card Jack. I am a conservative and if the candidate were black hispanic or chinese and they could solve the countries problems I would vote for them. Get over the racial crap.

October 5, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  59. Paulette in Dallas

Never happen!

October 5, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  60. AAShame Barton MS

very rare jack. r slim to none

October 5, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  61. Wilhelm von Nord Bach

I think it's 50-50 that Obama is re-elected going against Romney so it's even odds. as for Herman Cain, I doubt he could get the Republican nomination. also, the more "fringe" the Republlican candidate, the better the odds FOR Obama.

and btw, Jack, Obama's REAL Republican opponent this next election, along with his fellow Democrates, will be the governors and state legislatures that have passed voter supression laws in Republican controlled States.

October 5, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
  62. Jamie in St. Louis

Thanks to Obama's incompetence, I'd have to say it's not very likely unless the Republicans nominate Herman Cain.

October 5, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
  63. Tom Bulger, Canandaigua, NY

After the disaster George Bush has us wallowing in, it is going to be a long time before America elects a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant male. Believe it. After Obama's second term, we'll elect a woman.

October 5, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  64. Alex in Bremerton, WA

If you mean re-elect President Obama, Jack, I think the chances are pretty good. Despite the poor economy, if President Obama continues to hammer the obstructionist GOP for preventing any improvements to the economy just so they can score political points he should win in 2012. If you mean Herman Cain as the second black president I don't seriously think so. His message is too simplistic to be effective even though 9-9-9 will fit on a bumper sticker. (Just don't turn it upside down or you will scare the evangelicals with 666!)

October 5, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  65. Larry in Houston

How likely the U.S. will elect 2 black Presidents in a row ? It all depends on who's running against them, Jack. If someone like Palin, who doesn't act like she's got any more than a 5th grade education runs, then we will most likely have another black President, and frankly, it doesn't bother me, because I would much have the more qualified,or the most smarter person be the one. I honestly think Perry is out. Right now, it looks like It's either going to be between Romney / Huntsman or Cain, in the end. Any of the others are much too right wing. But it's unfortunate that Ron Paul can't get much traction.

October 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  66. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Does the term Slim and None strike a note? Herman Cain will be selected as Romney's VP candidate for obvious reasons. This is politics at it's best and the only thing that matters is win, win and win whatever the costs to the lower and middle class.

October 5, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  67. bob z.

i voted for the first one fool me once

October 5, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  68. B. J., Quincy, Il

I think Obama has put a blck mark on that.

October 5, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  69. Bit

Jack-

It could be very likely if the Republican nominee was Sarah Palin.

Bit/Prattville, AL

October 5, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  70. RickFromDetroit

Judging from the list of White Candidates I would have to say it is very likely that we could have a Black President for a second term. The majority of the Racist Whites will vote for a White Candidate for the same reason that the majority of the Racist Blacks will vote for a Black candidate.

Only the handful of people who follow politics will vote for the lessor of the two evils, and from the looks of the 2012 lineup, it will be dominated by two Republicans, a White & Black and the Black is running on the wrong ticket.

October 5, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  71. Annie, Atlanta

Witih the hateful bigots that have all crawled out of the woodwork with the election of our first African American President, I'm surprised it even happened the first time. Don't know what to say about a second time, other than we have a long way to go before we're the country we claim to be.

October 5, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  72. Jeff in Bishop, Georgia

Mr. Cafferty, it is very likely. Obama's resume prior to his 2008 election is worthy of ridicule compared to Herman Cain's. Community organizer? I still don't know what the heck that really is. Herman Cain brings fresh ideas, patriotism and optimism for our republic's future. Obama's class warfare tactics, social justice, narcissism and overall negativity is wearing thin. May January 20, 2013 bring real change that I can believe in!! Go Herman!!

October 5, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  73. Mitchell McAleer

Herman Cain is another shill for the Federal Reserve, and promises nothing more or less than what America has gotten from Timmay Geitner, and Ben Bernanke. What we got was financial ruin, enabling of the corrupt system of derivative trading, and massive inflation. In every discussion of the potential GOP nominee, the alternative to further expansion of the powers of the banks must be brought to light. End the Fed. The US dollar has lost value, inflation is the result, prices of fuel and food has risen dramatically in the last 5 years. Ron Paul 2012.

October 5, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  74. Frances

Do you really think that the tea party will actually choose Cain for their candidate? They won't. They certainly will not be putting out racist signs about him in their rallies. Nor will they ask him for his birth certificate. That is reserved for a Democratic candidate who is black.

October 5, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
  75. Kathie

I am so sick of the race card! We are all human beings. If the person is qualified should be the criteria.

October 5, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  76. Hank

Hank from Denver

I find it highly unlikely that another African-American President will be elected anytime soon, if ever. Older generations never thought of electing a black President, but the younger generations did because of his promise of change. Well guess what? Obama hasn't done a single thing he promised to the nation, in fact he did just the opposite of everything he said he would do. The younger generations are not going to forget this, they feel betrayed. Obama needs to make sure the door doesn't catch him on the way out next election.

October 5, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  77. Vince

Obama is not black. He is a mulatto. He is as much white as he is black.

However, that said, Mr. Cain is black and I think it would be wonderful to have him as a president. He has the business experience to run the county.

October 5, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
  78. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Jack: If you are refering to Herman Cain defeating Obama-the chances are about as equal as either you or I winning the lottery! As far as relecting Obama--the chances are 50-50!

October 5, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
  79. Barry(in Montreal)

Jack, after you and the rest of the American Media spew the rubbish about the one you have now?not likely. What you should be asking is what does the other party have to offer?.

October 5, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
  80. Sylvia from San Diego

I believe the american people have moved beyond race when electing the president. Unfortunately, we and in particular the media have not moved beyond sexism. It is clear that the media does everything in their power to ridicule the woman candidates. It is shameful and disgraceful!!

October 5, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
  81. Dan Bednarik, PhD

Jack – Well, Christie is not running, the rest are too lame to elect - I think very likely and frankly it would be interesting to have one black GOP candidate and a black Democratic candidate confronting each other on the issues.. In fact, I think the perspective on race issues would also be fascinating. The only color that is important right now is "green".

Dan Bednarik, PhD
    Highland, MD

October 5, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
  82. Riley, Seattle

If you mean Herman Cain following Barack Obama, not very likely. The myth that running a big corporation, like Godfathers Pizza, is somehow credible experience for running the USA is just that–a myth. Take Donald Trump for example: Does anyone really believe that launching economic war on China is the path to American prosperity. Mr. Cain is enjoying a Trump/Bauchmann moment–a brief unexplainable bump in the polls–nothing more.

October 5, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  83. LA Belle

It's about as likely as electing more T-Partiers.

Just allow President Obama to do for this country and all the people. If some members of Congress object to doing the decent and morally correct work they get paid to do, we need to send them packing. Get rid of the dysfunction and the nasty attitudes.

Since Republicans are so blatantly public with their hatred for a Democratic black President, it should not be ignored or covered-up. It's one thing if you want to take yourself down due to hate, but it's no place for elected politicians that are supposed to show responsibility and leadership. Have we elected Taliban mentallity as members of Congress?

Ruby (LA)

October 5, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
  84. Mr. G

I think the question is being asked to troll for bigoted responses.

But to answer the question, I think that MOST Americans have learned to look past skin color or ethnic background and into the content of character. If the presidential race were Obama vs. Cain, fine by me. I think Cain is an outstanding candidate.

Atlanta, GA

October 5, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  85. Terry Wells -Hoosier Hillbilly-IN

I've been pondering that same question in 'my' own mind also; not that the color of your skin should have anything to do with selecting someone to be be "OUR" next great leader ( but it wasn't black that made Zerobama) it was his cronies that dulitued and misled him [more experience in politics] would have guided him better than Reed & Pelosi.
    Now Cain has his own agenda, is secure in his own beliefs, and won't be hood-winked by party or politics, just like 'my' other { good Fellow } Ron Paul. What a combo!

October 5, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  86. Bobby E. Lahmon

They haven't elected the 1st black president yet he's just called black but in reality he's biracial ,but as far as Herman is concerned I doubt he'll get the nomination let alone getting elected,he's only being used to steal black votes away from President Obama ,Herman being elected it's not gonna happen.

October 5, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  87. Michelle

Many of the closet racists I know are jumping on the Herman Cain bandwagon. Of course, Texas goes "red" no matter what, but all I hear from them is "anyone but Obama." They are tickled pink to have such a conservative, pro-business African American to hold up as their "looky here - we love black people" candidate. President Obama broke the black taboo. I think it's highly likely. Michelle/Austin, Texas

October 5, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  88. Jk from Minnesota

You seem to be looking to see how how racism is out there with your question. I would hope the voters are wise enough to vote for a candidate based on whether they feel he/she has the ability to govern the country in a way that works for everyone – not just corporate America and the special interests; not based on their sex, race, religion or sexual orientation.

A better question to ask is "What can the voters do to get Congress to work for them instead of the corporate and special interests they are so beholdin to"? What everyone seems to forget is the President really doesn't legislate, Jack. All they can do (outside of executive orders) is to propose legislation. President Obama is getting an awful lot of the blame for something that Congress is elected to do, Jack and has not a whole heck of a lot of – just alot of whining from what I here out of them. Granted, Obama could be more like Harry Truman or FDR in how he deals with the Children of Congress (and the ultra rich that support his campaign too).

October 5, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  89. s in fl

If we're taking Herman Cain, about 1 chance in 999.

October 5, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  90. Rich in Gainesville FL

If you're literally asking if Herman Cain can get the nomination and then win the election, I think it's possible but unlikely. If you're asking if America is capable of electing one black president to replace another, I think we are. I think there's a lot more angst among the talking heads about racism in America than actually still exists.

October 5, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  91. Andrew- Regina, SK

Well it's about as likely as the Buffalo Bills actually winning the Super Bowl.

October 5, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  92. Renee Peoria,Ill

Who cares? I'm far more interested in seeing them run with a GOP candidate who actually believes in science and isn't going to try to convince me the planet is only 6000 years old. It's time people on the right faced up to the fact that anybody that brain-dead is NOT smart enough to fix this screwed up economy. If you don't believe in science, you don't believe in math.

October 5, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  93. curtis in philadelphia

Jack, great question, but I thought the Tea Party had ever intention of voting this year. Anyway, I understand that Herman Cain has a nine-nine-nine tax plan, meaning 9% tax on personal income, corporations and a national sales tax. The German word for "no" is "nine", so to answer your question about the possibility of the US electing back to back black presidents: nine, nine, nine. Never gonna happen my friend.

October 5, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
  94. Michael, from Smiths, Alabama

As much as it pains me to say this, Jack, I seriously doubt we'll be lucky enough to have two black presidents in a row. Many racist white folk blame Obama for their economic troubles, but not because he's a Democrat but because he's black. To them, the thought of another black man in the White House is an apocalypse-in-the-making. Cain might have the renewed support, but ultimately, if Obama is not re-elected, then there will be no chance for Cain, a Republican, to win either.

October 5, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  95. Jenny from Nanuet, New York

President Obama will be re-elected thanks, in part, to the lousy choices the Republicans have. So I'll say the U.S. will re-elect THIS Black president. After his second term is over, who knows. He broke the glass ceiling-but hopefully, not the mold.

October 5, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  96. Jake from Ottawa

More likely then Ted Nugent jack

October 5, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  97. Michael Bindner, Alexandria, VA

Not at all likely. Herman Cain won't even get the nomination, although he will benefit from crossover voting in the open primaries, if he is still in it then.

October 5, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  98. Dennis north carolina

iCain is just a pawn that the republican party is using to cover the rise of the confederacy in the republican party strong hold in the south. you will never see Cain on the ticket after the primaries.

October 5, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  99. ggwindsor

will americans elect a american president-may-be

October 5, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
  100. Rob in NC

Color makes no difference, or shouldn't. We need to look at records and abilities. Too many people are there now based on their looks and not on the substance of their being and the merit of their character. Rob in NC

October 5, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  101. anonymous

That depends, did someone convince Colin Powell to run?

October 5, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  102. Jack - Lancaster, Ohio

Mr. Cafferty:

I would not want to predict, or give an opinion on my prediction in order not to scew impressions away from a possible good man in pollitics. I guess that is optimism and fairness in one sentence. I will wait and evaluate should he become president to measure him on promises versus deliveries. I awaite the next president with guarded caution.

October 5, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  103. Rod, Plano TX

Jack, this is a stupid racist question... Sorry. Herman Cain has no shot anyway.

October 5, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  104. Jim In Pittsburgh

Not very. Despite the polls, I doubt that Cain will even get the nomination. The GOP has a terrible history with minority groups, thinly masking their bigotry with phrases ("states rights" means anti-black; "family values" means anit-gay, "illegal immigration" means anti-hispanic). Cain is probably another "flavor of the month" like Michele Bachman was.

October 5, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  105. david

About as likely as congress approving and passing anything!

October 5, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  106. Aaron

Jack- First off, why are we even asking this kind of question. Shouldn't we as Americans be pass these topic by now. However, GOP will never have someone of color be the true leader of their party. So no..

October 5, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  107. Alex Landi

Mt. Shasta, CA
    Jack-I'd vote for another black president without hesitation. A president is his policies, not his pigment. Barack Obama is an individual, not a color, and he is not representative of all black people. Herman Cain better represents my philosophies and I could support him for president.

October 5, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  108. Dave

That would be nice, but I hope it's different this time. Leftists were jumping in joy when Obama won the election back in 2008, but it's obvious now that that was all based off of emotions and a feeling of "getting back at history", so to speak. Americans know now that overall they're not that much better off now compared to before Obama got in – the commander in chief said so himself. If Herman Cain gets in, I hope he will be held to standard based off principle and getting the country back on it's feet.

October 5, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  109. Gordon

Great question! Glad you found a way to bring the man's race into the question. Not his values or policies!

October 5, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  110. David A Whitaker

Jack are you crazy, some of the people in this country the first time. From day one they said we'll not support anything this president will do in office. It is a reason why they say we're going to take our country back from that black man.

David
    Martinsburg,WV

October 5, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  111. Kat New Orleans

What does being black have to do with this?! Obama could have been pink or green! The question should have been will you vote to re-elect Obama? Race and color have nothing to do with it. If another president gets elected and he is black that does not mean he is going to do the same kind of job that Obama had donde so far.

October 5, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  112. mark in arkansas

Jack, ANYONE looking at skin color belongs back in the 60's. Look at what the man stands for, and what he can get done. Obama had a good plan, but couldn't get it done. He'll probably get voted out. As it should be, and as it will be with the next guy.

October 5, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  113. t -man.

why is this a question or topic if he is an american. these are the type of things that keep us divided

October 5, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  114. cindy greshler

Black!? Color isn't the problem...

October 5, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  115. Scott James

Jack, I think race has zero to do with peoples decisions. Thus, if Cain provides the vision that the country is seeking, then I think it is very possible. You may want to focus less on race and more on competance. President Obama basically had zero experience outside of gov't and academia. Cain has a very good background in business with the like of Pillsbury, Coke, and Godfathers's pizza.

October 5, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  116. Joan Rhoden

When will the media wake up to the fact that color is not an issue with mainstream America? What Americans want is an honest, straightforward, fiscally conservation, small government, ethical NON-politician. If he's purple, it wouldn't matter to me. Herman Cain may just surprise all of us. He has beaten the odds. I wish that the media would pay more attention to the man/woman than the color of the man (or woman).

October 5, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  117. Guy-Texas

I, like most who voted for President Obama did not care what race he was. His problem is simple, his policy was one of CHANGE which we all fed into. Now that he has most of our change and our retirement, he is in search of more sources of revenue to spend more money.......enough is enough!

In short I don't care what the race of our President, only that the 2012 President is not as inept as the present one!

October 5, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  118. Jay Roy

Two black presidents in a row, impossible. America is not color blind. We love pretending in the USA, Herman Cain would never be the GOP nominee republicans are just playing games with him. Many people have accused the Tea party of racism, so they are propagating Herman Cain in order to look like they are not racist. I think herman Cain should take advantage of this advertisement to sell his book.

October 5, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  119. Gary Marion, IL

I'm a white voter and I hope that we do have a second black presidential candidate, can you imagine having no one being able to play the race card? They would have to campaign on the issues only, one on one and let the voters decide. What a novel idea!!

October 5, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  120. chris

Jack,
    I don't care if the color of Herman Cain skin turns green, he will get my vote. I bet he will turn the country green if he gets his hands on the presidency, and the green will be from the money it will be raining. Its time to get someone in there who is not use to doing "old washington politics"!!!

Chris (vet) VA

October 5, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  121. Adam (Cornell University)

Jack,
    It's about as likely as the two parties coming to a compromise, on anything! The impossibility of Washington to function cohesively and the perpetual tendency for Republican voters to support the mentally handicapped go hand in hand. Cain seems intelligent; a sure loss for him as a Republican.

October 5, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  122. Sedgwick Easley

It will never happen! America is too racist!!

October 5, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  123. Larry

I think that there is a good chance of a second black president being elected in 2012. If Herman Cain continues to raise in the polls, and stays there throughout this year and until the GOP Candidate is choose, then the chances are good. President Obama's black support is slowly sinking and I think that some of the black voters, if they voted, would vote for Herman Cain because he is black.
    West Melbourne, FL

October 5, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  124. Dave, Orlando, FL

Although I always thought McCain should have made it to the White House, I strongly supported Obama. Now I have a bad case of buyer’s remorse. So this really isn’t a racist comment, but I don’t want to make the same mistake twice in a row. There have to be better people out there to run this country, somewhere.

October 5, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  125. Al

I'm hoping it's not likely at all, but not because of the color of his skin, but because he was formerly chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of KC. That alone should convince US citizens not to vote for him.

October 5, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  126. Kim in California

I don't care if the President is Vulcan and green. I just want them to have some common sense. Get us out of the middle east, find an immigration policy that works and fix our infrastructure with our tax money instead f giving it to the banks. I'd rather see John Doe get my money working on filling potholes than some banker who gets the money and then hoardes it, refusing to loan it to small businesses or potential homeowners.

October 5, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  127. Andrew in New York

The question should be: "If Herman Cain was not black would he be the next president?". In spite of being black he is running a close second in the polls so the answer is yes.

October 5, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  128. Ronda (from Canastota, NY)

Smart voters are going to vote for presidential candidates who they feel are the best qualified to run this country, or at least the best of who's running if they don't like any of the choices on the ballot. I don't know about you, Jack, but race isn't a factor in my decision to pull one of those little levers in the voting booth.

October 5, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  129. Dee in Des Moines

I can see Sanford grabbing his chest and telling Elizabeth, "this is the big one"

October 5, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  130. Anthony in Maryland

Too funny Jack! Maybe you should ask Hank Williams Jr. about another Black man being elected President? Hell, I can't wait to see the characterization of this one?

October 5, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  131. rrsue

The republicans will never nominate him. But isn't it funny how the more he bashes Black people the higher he rises in their polls? And btw Jack, I love how you guys give all your polls that show how low Obama has gotten, but you never show how he stacks up to your three front runners. He is still edging them out!!

October 5, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  132. Quanzale McMath

I'm basically speaking for all African American, were not going to go against someone who loves us, for someone who's trying to hurt us like Herman Cain.

October 5, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  133. Fiero

The fact that you can ask that question simply tells me that this country is still young in regards to human equality.

What does the color of a person's skin have to do with their political agenda?

October 5, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  134. Albert Arthur, Lagrange GA

Really! why dont we ask if America wants another president to fix the economy whether black or white or even blue. Aint you going to work if a black or blue president gives you job. onebody cares about the color of the president we care about getting this once great nation back to it feet.

October 5, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  135. wl wynn

I don't think Cain will make it. If you listen to his radio show, you will fin he is to the right of Rush and Beck.

October 5, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  136. Jay Gellman

It would be most unlikely to imagine the Republican party especially with the influence of the Tea Party allowing for the election of another Black President. It seems that the Republican in Congress while not visibly racist, seem to be overtly bent on removing the current president for what they say has nothing to do with his race. Can anyone really believe that? Racism still exists, while maybe not of the outside but it is still hiding but its ugly face peeks out

October 5, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  137. Arthur Sayed

The likelihood is the same as electing two white presidents in a row. When you have two colorless politicians dedicated to the perpetual murder of Pakistani babies via drone strikes, the allowance of our troops to die overseas in baseless wars, and the forced transfer of taxpayer wealth to over-leveraged financial institutions, it doesn’t matter if you dress them up in black face or white powder. If you want to know how likely it is for Herman Cain to be the nominee, look at the upcoming 3rd Quarter FEC reports and see how much money Lockheed and Goldman donated to his campaign.

October 5, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  138. mike longwwod,fla.

jack the only way the us would elect another black guy for president, is if it were denzell washington, and only if he were a democrat running against obama. there is no way in hell, hermann cain the repub would get elected, not if he were the last black guy on earth... the teaparty and regular republicans are done, believe it or not in 2012. they have proven themselves to be destructive to america, even more than cowboy bob-bush was...

October 5, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  139. ESF,Woodbridge

Jack, what happen to the "best qualified candidate?" One should not place emphasis on the race of the candidate more so what they can do for this country, their intergity the ethics, their ability to lead...... However, i am not naive that race does not have a "sway factor" which to me means America still has many skeletons in her closet that are screaming to come out!

October 5, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  140. Orlando

Not likely in this case. People might like Herman Cain, but they've got to remember sooner or later that he's the pizza guy. He doesn't have any government experience. I can understand that people want Washington outsiders, but I personally would want someone who has some government experience to be the president. Who would you prefer to be president and receive a 2:00 AM phone call letting them know that the country's under attack: a guy with actual government and foreign policy experience, or a former pizza company CEO who has no foreign policy experience whatsoever? To paraphrase Ronald Reagan in 1980, ask yourself this: Are you better off than you were four years ago? Well no, but we sure as hell are safer.

October 5, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  141. Linda m. Fetty

When are the American people going to elect a President because of what he knows and what he thinks he can do for us instead of the color of his skin. I am white and it offends me to be asked this question. I think that the main problem now is most of the GOP hates the fact that we elected a black President. I voted for Clinton but you can't tell me that Obama isn't during a better job than BUSH.

October 5, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  142. Janet

If he turns out to be the best candidate, which he may do, we'd vote for him in a heartbeat.

October 5, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  143. Deborah

It won't happen!! Herman Cain has as much of a chance of being president as I have to become the next mrs. Tom cruise!! He is way too far to the right or pretending to be there to appeal to conservative blacks. He has no charm or charisma.

October 5, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  144. Earnestine

I would vote for Obama again. Americans can't decise on what they want. 2008 they wanted change, but chane requires giving up something. American want it all NOW. 2010 they put Republicans right back to continue the Bush Policies. They putPresident Obama in office, but his hands have been tied. We have not matured concerning color. We are not willing to tax the rich, stop Charging on credit cards, downsize and benefit. We want BIG everything, so now we have our BIG debt. Try the poor mans way, you might find peace of mind, no debt, and a new way of living that you can afford. Republicans have told you what they are going to do. BELEIVE THEM.

October 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  145. Stella-Northern New York

Hello Jack. It could happen if they were both a Democrat or an Independant male/female running. Republican/Teaparty male candidate black or latino...... never,ever.... or a white/black/latino female candidate.......double never,ever. Only PURE WHITE MALES,preferably from the south,best if evangelical but will tolerate only another protestant faith,anti black,latino,gays,and anything else that doesn't look like them. Must be a right to life believer until birth only. Must be anti America and prefers to ship jobs overseas (loves China best)anti education,anti government,anti health care,anti medicare/medicaid,anti Social Security,anti middle class,anti poor, GEE I'M RUNNING OUT OF SPACE. One more thing and its a big one. Must love and worship MONEY-MONEY-MONEY,wall street,banks,big business,oil companies and lobbyists. Whooh! Gosh I could write a book on just the ANTI stuff.

October 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  146. Janice Payne, Plainview, TX

I think if the Republicans nominate Cain, he'll get elected. If the Republicans nominate a white man in a suit, Obama will still get most of the black & hispanc vote. Two black candidates and I believe the choice will be the guy who isn't percieved to havey gotten an "F" in economics.

October 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  147. Ryan Interiano in Upland, cA

It shouldn't matter what the race is Jack, the question should be is when are we going to elect a president or a congress that will have sufficient approval ratings throughout their whole term.

October 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  148. Gregory Young

Hermain Cain! Cain did kill Abel in the bible, and this Cain doesn't sound any different. Im black and I would rather vote for George Bush than this fruit cake. And I hated Bush from day one, and still do.Some of the stuff Cain is saying in the news makes Osama Bin Laden look good as a republican. But chances are he will win the election. Stupid is as stupid does and that's how Bush became president. Only in American!

October 5, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  149. Kate Neumeier, Neenah, WI

It's time we Americans elect a businessman and not another politician. Herman just happens to be black. All the campaign money in the world won't buy you an election. We the people make the choice. It's time we make the right one this time around.

October 5, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  150. deborah ballweg Seibert, co

Why not? He will be better than what we currently have. At least, he has a plan and will NOT loan money to Nancy's brother inlaw.

October 5, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  151. Fsantana

Just as likely as electing any two other presidents....if Mr. Cain is or is not elected president it will not be because of the color of his skin but because of his beliefs and the content of his character...let's not inject more into it!
    Germany

October 5, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  152. S. Geib

What a terrible question you pose! It verges on being racist. When you ask questions like that, you become part of the problem in the US and in the world. Your question insults me; I vote on voting record and positions on policy, and race is of absolutely no issue. Do you realize the nonsense in your question? Equally ridiculous would be, "How likely is it that the US elects a biracial president two years in a row." Why are you focusing on race? A similar question was raised several weeks ago: has Obama failed US blacks? Another racist question! I never heard any news reporter ask, "Has Bush or Clinton or Carter failed US whites?"

October 5, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  153. William-Seattle

Who cares? Black, white, Latino, Asian, African, Middle Eastern, man or woman, no one in government is going to get us out of our current economic and domestic mess. Congress and senate need to stop bickering and pass some reforms. What do we taxpayers pay them for anyway? Sit on their butts and complain about each other's political party? If that's the case, pay me a six figure salary and sign me up to be a congressman or senator

October 5, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  154. Bob Garrett

Absolutely. This country chooses candidates based on the content of their character.

October 5, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  155. Jack Dempsey

Jack, No one, Black ,White,Green, Purple or any other color will be elected president in this country until he sells his soul to a bunch of rich White Guys. Jack From Nice Ca.

October 5, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  156. Andrew in New York

The question should be: "If Herman Cain was not black would win the republican nomination for president?". In spite of being black he is running a close second in the polls so the answer is "yes". Does he have a chance to be the second black president, no!

October 5, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  157. Pat Friend

Seriously? Has everyone forgotten all the hate signs that were at the campaign rallies in 2008 and 2010 and continue today? The conservatives are only paying lip service to Cain. Look at the amount of money that Perry has taken in since Cain won...$17 million. Those lilly-white far right conservatives are running scared!

October 5, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  158. Ed Doyle

First to suggest a response to the question in this blog is racist in itself. We have an american President and other Americans running. If everyone keeps seperating us by color then we will never overcome racism in America. Why do we have a Black caucas in the congress. That is racist in its creation. All of congress should be helping all americans in these hard times not specified skin color groups. No man should be polled, seperated, because of his skin color. That needs to happen now!!!!

October 5, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  159. Chuck from Bridgton

When Mr. Cain was getting five percent of the vote, some of his outlandish remarks like not considering a Muslim for a cabinet position, calling an entire race of people – albeit his own – brainwashed, and proclaiming that Palestinians should get "nothing" in a peace deal, were generally overlooked.

But at 17 percent, such gaffes are certain to draw more scrutiny. I hate to say it, because he seems like a sincere guy, but in time the Republicans will have another flavor of the month.

October 5, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  160. Gary in Scottsdale, Arizona

Jack, your question reminds me of the e-mail going around asking folks to sign up in support of Barack Obama and the only signature on it is that of Michelle Obama. But - to the point, I'd say the guy has a chance if his stand on issues make sense.

Gary in Scottsdale, Arizona

October 5, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  161. Anthony Jamison

Jack what does being black have to do with anything? Is he not an American? You would never say that about a white man, but since he black why not lets ask dumb question. Will a black quarterback ever win the superbowl? Is Jesus black By far your worst question ever.

October 5, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  162. art

some people look at things the way they are and say why. i dream things that never were and say why not?

October 5, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  163. abby

I don't care what color Cain is; he's not electable because of his ideology is just too off the wall for mainstream America. Also, I doubt that there are far too many people in the GOP & Tea Party that can accept a black man as president. (Why do you think so many of the birthers are GOP & Tea Party members, not Independents?)

October 5, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  164. Gerry Schaffer

For black voters they will free to vote based on their political persuasion and not on color alone. That could be a further problem for Obama to get re-elected. I am not sure how Cain's 9-9-9 will go down however?

October 5, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  165. Jacques

Jack,

Three simple words, not very likely!

October 5, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  166. andyz Lynn, MA

The odds of the Republicans nominating a black man as there candidate means two things: first, the Republicans have given up an electing a president and second, they are focused on keeping control of the house and taking control of the senate.

October 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  167. Debbie Florida

I've been supporting him from the first time I heard him speak at the first debate. I mused at how little attention was given to him because he was supposedly being "overshadowed" by the "frontrunner". I'm a 58-yr old white who was raised in PA who greatly admires and respects the road Mr Cain has traveled and would not only vote for him, but have been encouraging others to at least listen to his views with an open mind. I'm not voting against Obama because he's black but because his policies are failing us, and I would have NO PROBLEM voting for Mr Cain as our 2nd black president. In fact, from the get-go it would take the "race card" off the table! Then we would have some real down to earth policy-for-policy debates!

October 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  168. Lisa C. - Morehead, Ky

I have to believe that the best candidate will be elected based on their ability to lead this nation, the issues that they stand for and not because of their race or gender. I happen to think it is a strong possibility that Herman Cain will be elcted President.

October 5, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  169. Sean in Michigan

I think he has a chance of winning, but why the need to focus on skin color? The question is racist in a way.

October 5, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  170. RB in Calif

has nothing to do with color for me but about big picture thinking/caring for what is sustainable for the greater good, the brain power and drive to work incredibly hard to carry that vision out, the ability to inspire and communicate well, which means . . . i'll be voting for our awesome president again!

October 5, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  171. Gail, Plano TX.

Jack: You are kidding, right? The American people are not stupid. Not that stupid, because Cain is not qualified! We will elect a black President for the second time and it will be Barack Obama! I don't for one minute believe your polling data. Herman Cain is a beard for the GOP so they can say they are not racist, which everyone knows is a big FAT lie!

October 5, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  172. rrsue

Please. If Cain thinks he can "brainwash" one third of African Americans into voting for him, he is as ignorant as he sounds. Black people know exactly what the republicans stand for and what they want for this country and it does NOT include minorities or the poor. The only person brainwashed is Mr. Herman Cain, the republicans "see we are not racist" flavor of the moment.

October 5, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  173. DON IN WESTPORT, MASS.

Chances should be good. We elected many white humans that were dumb, 2 and 3 in a row. Its like a roullette wheel. You pick red or black. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

October 5, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  174. Emily NY

I am totally shocked and disgusted buy the heinous question of "How likely you think united states will elect two black presidents in a row?" Are you serious? I don't quite remember anyone asking years ago if EVER, if they thought united states would elect another "white" president, does anyone else?

October 5, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  175. Mike Cody, Alpena, MI

Won't happen. Those voting in Republican straw polls are supporting Cain, for now, only to show the rest of the nation that they are not racist. Just watch when the GOP primaries begin; Cain will drop like a rock. Conservatives, generally speaking, will never vote for a black man to become their "boss." I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but maybe some kind of subterfuge by osmosis is happening.

October 5, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  176. Dee in Des Moines

I can see Mitch McConnell and Sanford grabbing their chests and telling Elizabeth "this is the big one".

October 5, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  177. Trellis Sherman

Yea, I believe the United States will elected "the first" black president once we
    1. Pay off our debt
    2. Close corporate tax loop
    3. Tax corporations and millionaires to give back to the American taxpayers who help them "create jobs".
    4. Start to behave and communicate like civil humans.

In case other did not know, this is sarcasm. Barack Obama have a higher chance for a second term than Herman Cain winning the Presidential Race. How do I know he cannot win? Because he is running as a Republican and the Republican are the puppets of the Tea Party. The Tea Party current favorites ,as I know of today, is Bachmann, Perry, and Romney, I believe in that order. Herman Cain will not receive the majority of Black votes due to his positions and other reason. I cannot see any Republican beside Perry winning the Latino vote, from the debate. We all know good and well he will not receive the majority vote. Maybe if it was Opposite day when the Republican chose their candidate to run against Obama and on the presidential elections, then he will end win. In the end it will be "Parry" or Romney against Obama and, as a independent" my money is on "Parry" .

October 5, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  178. Jeff In Minnesota

I would like to think that America has gotten beyond the skin color game and that it doesn't matter. But obviously Jack you're out to stir the pot and make it an issue. Why not toss class warfare and aborition into the pot as well to get things really going. Race, abortion, class warfare and the like are all bogus issues to get people to focus on something unimportant so that someone doesn't have to deal with the real issues such as the financial crisis, health care costs, etc. It's just like a magician that gets the audience to focus on something away from where the trick is really going on. If he has the ideas and can get people on board to agree with them, then I say, "Why not?" It's not like Whites, Hispanics or anyone else has a lock on solutions to our problems.

October 5, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  179. Mal, Bellevue,WA

ZERO

October 5, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  180. Kyle - North Dakota

How likely do you think it is that the U.S. would elect two BAD presidents in a row? I'd be willing to bet on those odds.

Maybe it's because I'm young and living in the product of Dr. King, Mr. Shuttlesworth and other's work rather than witnessing dramatic changes over time, but I don't understand why race is still an important topic. As a white American, I'm deeply offended when people say, "I never thought I'd see the day when a black president was elected." Registered white voters outnumber blacks considerably, so a statement like this implies that most whites are racist. I too have a dream that one day racism will end, even racism towards whites, who will one day be the minority.

October 5, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  181. Dee in New Paris OHIO

How likely is it that if a REPUBLICAN black president were elected, Congress would work with him anybetter than they have with a DEMOCRAT black president?

October 5, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  182. James C Maryland

One of the realizations of whether or not another black will be elected as President I believe is not just a question, but a little prejudical in nature. You see, we never ask the question when Bush created the mess that Obama inherited, "How likely will the country select another white man." You see we have easily forgotten that President Obama is not just a black man but he is the President. You see no matter how we chalk it up, whether it be in media or not, this world has a problem with a black being in charge of what I still believe is the greatest country. Look at all of the white presidents who did not fair so well, many of them were re-elected even when they weren't doing so great. Obama did not mess this country up, George Bush did, but just like, they say many black look alike, many whites act alike. Sure we may say that other races besides whites do like this Presidency, but shouldn't we also say that this same feeling has been echoed before about other Presidents. In general media can be help , but they also can be a hurt. So let's see if the same question can be asked about a white President. A black man who has earned he right to be President still cannot get a fair chance, because of a congress and certain other people in Washington never wanted President Obama their in the first place. Herman Cain I believe is a good guy at heart, but I believe his agenda is a personal one.

I believe he is like a divide for the republican party that is being used to thwart Obamas attempt at a second reelection. People did elect Obama, but lets make it clear God put him in Washington. The Chinese put it plainly, it is so easy to blame someone for something that they did not do rather than fixing what someone has already done. It is so sad that the only way we can sometimes get people to listen is to play the attack game against someone else. How easily we forget.

October 5, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  183. Joe R - Houston, TX

Even if only two different blacks were the nominees, it would be fun to watch how the mainstream media, Democrats and Republicans redefine racism. One of them would HAVE to be an Uncle Tom in the eyes of their detractors. LOL.

October 5, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  184. LUV DANIELS

The president was handed the worse mess ever, so it was no way he could get out of it, and he would get no, no. no from day one. then he is cast as bad, typical. This is a silly question, no one wants a hand picked tea party black or white. A white man will receive full cooperation from all, like clinton with all his bad morals and ethics, blacks just loved him, some idiots called him their 'first' black president, so, the next one has to be lilly white. How sad. LUV.

October 5, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
  185. Steve, Clifton, VA

Comon' Jack!1 They don't want to re-elect the first black president. There were efforts launched to remove the first black president two days after his inauguration. Before he even had a week to work on his agenda.

October 5, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
  186. Susan NJ

President Obama was to be the great hope of this nation. He's no different than any other Washington politician. In fact he's worse because he's a liar. If he was elected because his father was black I don't think anyone is going to make the same mistake twice.

October 5, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  187. Dan in Albuquerque

Not at all likely because there is a significant far rght-wing element in the GOP that won't vote for ANY black man. People like Hank. jr.

October 5, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
  188. George in San Diego

Why does it matter if a second Black President is elected? If America did elect Cain into office, I'm certain he'll have a similar reception from Washington. No respect for the man, only respect for the position. What we should be concerned with is the fact that the current President is trying to do something, in fact anything to fix this country and he is not getting the support that previous Presidents have received. I commend him for trying and I hope that our politicians (in DC) can put aside personal agendas and do what's best for the taxpayers and not just financial supporters for future campaigns.

October 5, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  189. Mr. D

The pizza will not be delivered.

October 5, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  190. Gary from Virginia

If you compare President Obama to Herman Cain, Obama wins hands down, especially with a comment Herman Cain made that "if you don't have a job it is your own fault"!

October 5, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  191. WILLY JOHNS ORANGE TX

Not going to happen. Look at the racists that are hiding in the Republican party. Yes Jack racism is alive in this country.
    Just look at the Tea party movement.

Willy Johns a black man from Orange TX

October 5, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  192. Joe R - Houston, TX

If the Republicans nominate Ron Paul, I'll vote for him. Failing that, if the Libertarian Party nominates a black man, I'll vote for him. Failing that, I'll vote for whoever the Libertarian Party nominates. I'll never vote for a Republican or Democrat corporatist.

October 5, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  193. Tina

Cain is somewhat of a fraudster and will definately not win and he will give away his votes to Romney. Follow how media treats all the candidates and you will quickly see who the radical elites of both parties want for that GOP nomination, which then correlates if the media ignores them, puts them down in a roundabout way, or provides a platform for them along with hyping them up from the ghetgo. what the radical elites want is flip opposite then what is good for the country and for those who are not card carrying members of the radical elites of both parties that are the top officials in white house, congress, media, and companies like GE and Google.

So, if you like Cain, then you really have a love/hate relationship with Romney, and when Cain peaks out with his polls and before falling, he will step out of the race and formallly endorse Romney, and hence voters will feel better about someone like romney who is a flip flopper who believes in large government programs like healthcare and increasing taxes on businesses as he did in MA.

October 5, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
  194. ma in az

A second and new black President is as likely as a new socially responsible congress that works for the betterment of all of America. Pick one.

October 5, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  195. Mycroft Lake Travis Texas

Well Jack, You know there are many variables in calculating odds regarding your question. President Obama is considered the first Black President even though more accurately described as the first bi racial President. Considering the variables I think are important, I would put the odds at about 2% and considering the current President's appoval rating, that is pretty good. There are many blacks that would make good Presidents on the Democratic side, many of them women. I have trouble believing that there are any Blacks on the Republican side worth a consideration, knowing that the Republican's go out way of there way, behind the scenes, to harvest the racist vote. I believe that President Obama's approval ratings are a direct result of him saying one thing on the campaign trail and doing hardly anything he promised once elected. Can you imagine if he campaigned on extending the Wars, keeping Gitmo open,extending the Bush Tax Cuts, continue allowing Patriotic USA Citizens to be wire tapped, he would not put an end to white collar crime and government fraud, instead he would cave and fold for at least the first two and a half years to every Republican interest. I think we would have had a different winner in the Democratic Primary. I'm not the only independent that voted for Barack Obama, that is going to have alot of trouble believing anything he says this time around. Truly I wish Morgan Freeman would run, he'd have my vote and I already believe him. Dennis Kucinch I believe as well, but there goes back to back, blacks. Yepper 2% .

October 5, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  196. Gigi Oregon

Maybe two from the Democrat party but not a Republican. Don't be fooled Jack...I'm a white,older, conservative women and I don't approve a 100% at what President Obama is doing. BUT I'm not stupid either. I voted for McCain and thank God every day he didn't win. After President Obama was elected, I realized what the Bush years had done to the United states. How many jobs went to China in that time period...who went to war in the wrong country and charged it on a Chinese credit card...how many fallen solders because of that oops, died...the bank and mortgage roberies...bailouts for the rich who are in the process of continuing to rob us with new fees etc, etc, etc. Just because we wished he would be more aggressive doesn't mean..." I'm not going to be dumb enough" to vote Republican and let the Religious right turn this country into a third world Nation. We need a new party "Party of the people" and for the people. Get rid of all the crime and bribery (lobbyist even from our churches) that goes on in Washington DC. Laws that protect the people from the abuse of corporate America and our government Representatives which our bought and paid for by lobbyist.

October 5, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  197. Bob in Kansas City

It wouldn't bother me if Mr. Cain won, as long as he showed us a birth certificate prior to election day.....equal treatment applies equally.

October 5, 2011 at 4:54 pm |