July 6th, 2011

Would you want to live to be 150 years old or even older?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

A leading British scientist says the first person who will live to the age of 150 has already been born.

Doctor Aubrey De Grey, the chief scientist of a foundation dedicated to longevity research, also believes that the first person to live to be 1,000 years old could be born in the next two decades. You heard right. A thousand.

De Grey made these comments in an interview at Britain's Royal Institution's academy of science.

So far, the longest-living person in the world on record lived to age 122.

But Dr. De Grey says we have a "50/50 chance" of bringing aging under medical control within the next 25 years.

He believes that aging is really just the accumulation of molecular and cellular damage in the body over a lifetime...and that some day doctors will be able to undo this damage. We'll all just go to the doctor for "maintenance checks"– you know, like a tune up for your car. But these visits will include gene therapies, stem cell therapies, and immune stimulation.

De Grey does have his critics. In 2005, the MIT Technology Review Journal offered $20,000 to any molecular biologist who could prove Dr. De Grey's theories were so wrong they were not worthy of debate. But no one ever won that cash prize.

Here’s my question to you: Would you want to live to be 150 years old or even older?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Paul in Parry Sound, Ontario:
No, I would not. If we all lived twice as long as we do now, the pressure we'd put on the eco-system would collapse the planet. And besides, they'd probably raise the retirement age to 140.

Cliff in Rego Park, New York:
That would give us, what, 81 more years of the Cafferty File? I'll need to give this a little more thought.

Paul in Phoenix:
Wow, that would really screw up Medicare and Social Security....oh wait.

Gary in Scottsdale:
Jack, being 75, I'm already halfway there, but have no interest in living to 150. There are over 6 billion people on the planet at the moment and in many parts of the world it's a mob scene. No Jack, I'll take another decade and depart with fond memories and a smile.

Anthony in Swedesboro, New Jersey:
Why not? Galapagos tortoises do. I'm living with an African grey parrot who will outlive my son. Give me a roomy cage with all the technical bells and whistles, have someone feed and clean my cage and I'll be as happy as a clam.

Mark in Oklahoma City:
Well, Jack, that depends. At what age would the senior discount at McDonald's kick in?

Ed in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania:
My only reason for wanting to live that long would be to be able to dance at my great-grandchildren's weddings.

Bill in New Mexico:
Yes, I think life is that enjoyable. If I had thought that I would live that long, I would have spent a few more years in college. I would have gotten another degree or two–in something else. But every "silver lining has its cloud." What do we do about this retiring at 65 years of age or even earlier? Are our minds going to keep up?

Bob in Youngstown, Ohio:
You only have 49 more to go, Jack. Tell us if it's worth it so far.

Overby:
I bet if you were just turning 149 that you'd be saying "yes".......

Filed under: Longevity • On Jack's radar
  1. Dave in Phoenix

No, once Republicans make sure that health care is only for the rich, no one will be able to afford to live that long anyways.

July 6, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  2. Larry Feierstein-Denver

Right now , with the way things are I am working on lasting until 64.

July 6, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  3. Annie, Atlanta

The human history and advances would be fascinating to see, they already have been, but until we can be immune from disease and general parts wear-down, I'm on the side of quality instead, not quantity

July 6, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
  4. john thomas

Sure, that's only 79 more years

July 6, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  5. pat in michigan

sure why not? If my body didn't creak and I was of a right mind .I just don't want to be a burden to my kids.
    By the way ,can I do it in Hawaii?

July 6, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  6. Gerry

Not a chance, seeing the world change in the last seventy years is enough culture shock for a heart attack. After seventy your luncheons with your friends turn into appointments with your Doctor.

Gerry
    Ash Fork, Az.

July 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  7. Greg M.

Jack,
    Being born white,I would only like to grow to be 150 years old if I knew I could also convert to a Black,Muslim,transgender and register as a Republican also,just because...May God Have Mercy On My Soul :)
    Greg M. FL

July 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  8. Christopher

Absolutely. I'd love to live indefinitely, but only once we've solved the "problem" of cellular degeneration such that the aging curve puts 200 years at least on par with being around 40 years old today. There's no point in being alive for so long if you can't enjoy living to the fullest.

~Round Rock, Tx

July 6, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  9. Russ in PA

Only if I were to live in a truly free country. Can you imagine the state of the US in a decade or two if our brilliant central planners and nanny-state proponents continue to get their way? Hey, you're 110, so no hot dogs or burgers for you. Hey, you're 120, so no raw milk or shellfish for you. Hey, you're 150, so hand over the rest of your savings to us. Oh wait, how many Americans will have money to live on for that period in time? None...

Ron Paul in 2012...

July 6, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
  10. Rob

Jack, if they can fix everything that goes wrong with the body, and the younger generations keep reproducing, when I'm 150 in 2115 the world population will be about 13 billion, with the food, water, fuel and space for a tenth of that. I say eat, drink and be merry!

July 6, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
  11. Joe R - Houston

I'm 71 years old. My Mother is 101. I've doubled my cigarette consumption in the hope that I won't live to be 101 years old, but it doesn't seem to be working.

July 6, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  12. Kevin SD CA

Not in this Economy!

July 6, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  13. Conor in Chicago

If I was healthy and fit of course. Why wouldn't I? As an athiest I'd like to live as long as possible....

July 6, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  14. JK (Minnesota)

I don't think so. I wouldn't want to have to work until I was 135 or 140 to qualify for medicare, Jack. Congress can't fix health care the way it should be and if Paul Ryan's plan were ever adopted, I'd shudder to think what the insturance industry would want to premiums for a person that age – it's bad enough now.

July 6, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  15. CRAIG R. MCNEES

tampa, fl i will need to in order to pay of all of my credit cards, my 3 ex-wives, and the taxes our government are going to pass to continue to pay for the lifestyle they have become accustomed to.

July 6, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  16. Loren

Lots of ifs attached to an answer, but the biggie is will the Earth be worth living on in another 100 years?

July 6, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  17. Phyllis G. Williams

Would you want to live to be 150 years old or even older?

Personally, I would like to live as long as I can look after myself.
    I do not want to live until I become a problem to others. If it is even 150 years and I can look after myself, it will be OK (smile).

July 6, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  18. Paul, New Port Richey, Fl

Why not? After all Jack, you made it.

July 6, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  19. John from Alabama

Jack: The most important thing about life is to have a qaulity life. Living to the age of 150 might be more desirable, but only if it can be enjoyed. Living to 150 means everything starts later in life, but it last longer, also. Just think being married to the same woman for a 100 years, or being married to the same man for 100 years. No way, Jack.

July 6, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  20. Greg in Arkansas

Right now, I don't want to but I will probably have to just to pay my fair share of the National Debt......but feel free to ask me again in 75 years.........

July 6, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  21. Ed from Texas

150 years of more Casey Anthony-like murder trials? No thanks.

July 6, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  22. Tom in Desoto, TX

150 years without healthcare...the republican plan. In that case, I'll pass. See ya.

July 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  23. JENNA

Would you want to live to be 150 years old or even older?

Right now Jack I am taking care of my 83 year old father in law that is paralized on one side due to a stroke, wheel chair bound, and doesn't speak of word of English. I can't get any help from the state or the nation even though he has a green card and no one in his home country wants to care for him any longer and they don't have "nursing homes" to ship him to. At this time of my life I should be enjoying my grandchildren, working, being at my leisure.. but no.. I am caring for him. But I am not alone, many of us are forced to care for family members just some of us fear losing our homes should they get sick or need to go to the hospital for anything..

So I ask you Jack do you think that he would want to live to be 150? Really?

I am NOT going to be a burden on MY kids.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

July 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  24. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Only if my wife lives to be 141 as she is 9 years younger than me.

July 6, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  25. Ed from MD

No but if the clock stopped ticking at 20ish and I was still here, I would not start it again for a while.

July 6, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  26. David in Tampa

I just want to live healthy and with my mental faculties. When I lose what little mind I have left or my physical well being then it will be time for me to check out regardless of the actual number of years. So far my existence in this spatial, temporal reality sphere has been worth while. If it continues fine, if it doesn't that's fine too.

July 6, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  27. Fran Robinson, Albuquerque, NM

Not at all. I wouldn't want to live to be even 100. I'm sure our bodies can be made to last 150 years, but I don't think we can last 150 emotionally. At some point, we all just get worn out from living - violent crimes, needless wars, poverty, sickness, suffering, pain. If the whole world would evolve emotionally/spiritually (and me with it), I might consider sticking around to 150. But not the way we are now. We human beings are still pretty primitive.

July 6, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  28. A Glover Hampton VA

Jack, you have truly run out of questions.How about "Would you like to apply for Jack Cafferty's job?

July 6, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  29. Bizz, Quarryville Pennsylvania

I would want to live to be 150 only if I could live an active life without pain and suffering. The only thing that might change my mind is looking at how Social Security and Medicare is under attack. I would not want to be living in the street begging for food.

July 6, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  30. Lori - PA

Jack,

Imagine what the world would be like if people could live to be 150 years, or more, old. Overpopulation would be even more rampant than it is now. There would also be a huge drain on water and food supplies. I can't even begin to imagine, given the current situation, how Medicare and Social Security would manage the burden of making payments to, or for, people that are 150 years, or more, old.

No, Jack, I would not want to live to be 150 years, or more, old.

July 6, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  31. Jayne

Not if the United States continues on its current path. With Republicans chomping at the bit to do away with Medicare and Social Security, anyone who lived to be 150 might find themselves begging on the street.

July 6, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  32. Chicago Jim

Who in their right mind wants a 150 year old wife and 120 something year old kids lounging around all day playing video games? To get 20 years out of a pension and social security one would have to work until 130. Then what? Some moron looking down on you in a casket and saying "my lord, he don't look a day over 140?

July 6, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  33. Paul From Austin Texas

Only if I was on a total bean diet. Nothing but beans and bean soup. Then I would be a true Old you know what.

July 6, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  34. Thom Richer

Not on YOUR life, Jack.

Thom Richer
    Negaunee, MI

July 6, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  35. Wilhelm von Nord Bach

only IF I could lead an active lifestyle and would be mentally sharp, Jack.

laying around some nursing home constantly in pain or not knowing what is going on would NOT be my idea of "living". have seen that happen to too many people and it's not something to look forward to.

July 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  36. sean 1

No way.....not the way this country is going.

July 6, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  37. Paul, Parry Sound, Ontario

July 6, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  38. Jeff in Bishop, Georgia

Being the over achiever I am, Mr. Cafferty, I am gunning for age 970. I want to break Methuselah's record.

July 6, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  39. Kirk (Apple Valley, MN)

And watch what used to be a great country totally fall apart because extremists are in power?

July 6, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
  40. RickFromDetroit

Yes I would, except I can't afford to.

July 6, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
  41. Ed from Harrisburg

My only reason for wanting to live that long would be to be able to dance at my great grandchildrens weddings.

July 6, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
  42. Gary H. Boyd

Jack, being 75 I'm already half way there but have no interest in living to 150. There are over 6 billion people on the planet at the moment and in many parts of the world it's a mob scene. No Jack, I'll take another decade and depart with fond memories and a smile.

Gary in Scottsdale, Arizona

July 6, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  43. Bill in New Mexico

Yes, I think life is that enjoyable.

If we can reach 150–let's shoot for 250!

Every "silver lining has its cloud." What do we do about this retiring at 65 years of age–or even earlier?

Are our minds going to keep up?

July 6, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  44. barbara in nc

for what?

July 6, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  45. Rich McKinney, Texas

No thanks Jack. There comes a point in time when you no longer know your own name and where you regress back into childhood and wet yourself. Sitting strapped in a chair being spoon fed pureed food is not my idea of a good time. There is something to be said for quality of life versus quantity of life.

July 6, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
  46. Overby from Melbourne

I bet if you were just turning 149 that you'd be saying 'yes'.......

July 6, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  47. david seattle

i am already 200 years old..yes, based on exploitated years of labor.i dont think suffering the malnutrition of corporate food stuffs and the obesity they process and manufacture at tax break rates of production will allow someone to healthily live in an industrial regurgitated nation... Live in the amazon far from the fools destroying sustainable resources and you might be healthy enough to justify living that long

July 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  48. Kim Smith

What would be the point?

July 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  49. Sandstone.

"Yes Jack! I would even live much longer if I could! But I have to realise the planet is a little too small for us all! There is lots of space, but not enough produce! 'Drinking-Water is disapearing because of stupid people. Edable-food is being destroyed because farming is out of control with power! Then there is (where's it all going??) fresh-air (none contaminated! again poisened by the irresponsible) Must I do this Ramble every day???"

July 6, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  50. james in greenville, north carolina

Jack, I'm 64 now and running out of money. I can't even afford to live to 70. What would I do for the next 80 or so years? No, let me pass on and give my kids a break.

July 6, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  51. lou

Yes, I would love to live longer. I'm 47 and I know a lifetime more than I did 20 years ago. If I keep getting smarter at that rate, by the time I'm 150 I may finally have figured out what the heck I've been put on this earth to accomplish.

July 6, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  52. Donald in New Mexico

I'm 56 and am amazed at the advances made so far in my lifetime. I would love to see the world and progress in 100 years. Of course it would depend on quality of life issues. Would I have to work until I reached 130 years old to retire? At family get togethers would I have to sit at the kiddy table at 56? At what age would I get my seniors discount? By that time would I have paid my share of the deficit? That's a lot of hard thinking for someone as young as me.

July 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  53. Carol Haines City, Fl

July 6, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  54. Judie Wm's -- El Lago TX

Do believe I'll pass on this one........

Without the quality of life, what could one possibly look forward to @ age 100 or beyond. ?

If I am able to move about, drive, participate in activities, have conversations (no mobile devices...thank you ) maintain good health in accordance with age, then I will continue to be grateful. Continue to live independently and much more.
    Also, keeping in mind to check on the age of my "spirit".....

July 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  55. Mark, Oklahoma City

July 6, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
  56. Nina Fox

Jack

It all depends upon quality of life. Do I want to live for 150 years as a vegetable, No! If I can live 150 years being mobile and with still some brain cells, possibly! What would that extended lifetime do to the Earth's population and stress of each footprint on the ecosystem.

July 6, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
  57. Fred In LA

No thanks.

July 6, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
  58. Hubert Bertrand

No jack. and that is no joke. Greed,Rude people, and the selfishness that is getting worst. I'm 77 and I don't want to live till i"m 100. That is a strange question

July 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  59. Ray in Knoxville

Hell, Jack, I'd have to work 'til I was 149 because, thanks to the Bush recession, I can't afford to retire.

July 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  60. Paulette in Dallas,PA

No. I have absolutely NO interest in becoming the Bionic Woman!

July 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  61. DON IN WESTPORT, MASS.

I want to live forever, with all my parts functional, that is. We better find another planet soon though because it will be standing room only.

July 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  62. Peg in NY

No, No, one hundred and fifty times, NO!

July 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  63. Joe

Jack,
    Yes, if I could keep the mind and body of a 25 year old; otherwise, I am afraid with our modern sensationalist narcissistic society I will die of a heart attack no matter what happens. We live in a world of the haves and have-nots; unfortunately, I am not in the world of having wealth, health, power, and prosperity. So I believe as long as I am poor, I am better off being happy in the the land of the Royal Nonesuch.
    Joe, Binghamton, NY

July 6, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  64. Anthony J. Frascino from Swedesboro, NJ

Why not? Galapagos tortoises do. And why should I be less than a tree which some live for a thousand years? I'm living with an African grey parrot who will outlive my son. Give me a roomy cage with all the technical bells and whistles, have someone feed and clean my cage and I'll be as happy as a clam in sand!

July 6, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  65. Dave, Orlando, FL

Only if I keep my health and can enjoy life. Otherwise, what’s the point?

July 6, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  66. Dave, Huntington, NY

Not if the Tea Party gets any more control of our country.

July 6, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  67. Karl in Flint

Jack, I'm 66 years old. Give me another 15 or 20 GOOD years, not drooling in the rest home, and I'll be happy. I don't think our bodies were meant to last that long and unless all the replacement parts I'll need are free, Medicare and my Blue Cross aren't going to cover it.

July 6, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
  68. Ken in MD

Oh great, more ammunition for Congress to raise the retirement age...

July 6, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
  69. Randy

Why? So the republicans can raise the social security retirement age to 149?

July 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  70. Scott Stodden

It Would Be Nice If I Had A Sound Mind And Good Health To See Everything That Goes On But I Think It Would Be Scary Also Because How Do We Know What State The Country Would Be In Later On Down The Road! The Real Question Is This Jack, Would You Or Wolf Want To Live To Be A 150 Yrs Old?

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

July 6, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
  71. Bryan, Colorado

Yes, if I could still retire when I am 65, collect social security and would be active and able to live a fairly normal life. We all know it sounds to good to be true. We would probably be required to work until we are 100. Sounds like an episode of twilight zone.

July 6, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  72. Ralph Spyer

My wife is a Cubs fan , she is 58 now that gives them 92 years?

July 6, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  73. Gus from CA

Been retired 10 years. Can't work for health reasons, so each day is like in prison, just another day to somehow get through. Old age is filled with constant low level pain, dimming mental activity, and inability to do sometimes even simple things. I could not imagine being sentenced to 85 years of this. I am not especially pleased to know I should reach 82, let alone a lot more.

July 6, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
  74. Lee

You bet I do! There will be so much happening between now and then and so much more we can do, but only if I can be healthy enough to be a contributing citizen. Right now I have enough to do to keep me busy to at least 100. I'm sure by the time I reach that, I can easily have enough for another 50 years.

July 6, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
  75. George Stebbins

Of course. Any technology that would allow large numbers of folks to live to 150 (or above) would almost necessarily be keeping them at a young enough age to be healthy. People who say "No" to this question usually fear being "old" for many years. What they really fear is being sick, in pain, frail etc for long periods. If you were as flexible, active, healthy and "young" as you were at 20, 25 or 30, why wouldn't you want to live that long?

And if you decide that 1000 years is too long, you can always make that decision yourself. Now, you don't get that choice, nature makes it for you.

July 6, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  76. andyz Lynn, MA

Yes indeed. That way I might be able to see who wins, Democrats or Republicans. I strongly suspect it will be the Democrats. I've heard rumors that Republicans eat their young.

July 6, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  77. AB

Yes, Jack, I would like to live for as long as I can if the social, economic conditions are conducive to longevity and to the enhancement of the quality of life.

July 6, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  78. Jeff In Minnesota

And the purpose of this would be ... ? So that I can live even longer without social security! Who wants to work for 110+ years? Doing it for 40 to 50 years is bad enough now. It's not like it means that you still get to retire at 65 and get 90 years of retirement.

July 6, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  79. Hank

Yes...if I could look like I was 20, could still run a marathon and have sex on a regular basis.

July 6, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  80. Bob in Florida

Well, the first 149 years would be tough, but that last one would be quite something!

July 6, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  81. Peter, Tarrytown, N.Y.

Only if the Cathlolic Church premits divorce.

July 6, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  82. Ralph Nelson

No. I'm ready to go right now and I'm 63. Since we are all made of energy and energy is the only thing eternal, I plan to be back. Hopefully as a girl. As long as I avoid the Vietnam War at 17 I'll do great. Send this 150 year old man into space so we can find about more about what's out there.

July 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  83. curtis in philadelphia

Depends Jack, only if I get to keep my hair and not have to use Viagra.

July 6, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  84. Linda in Arizona

In THIS world, the way things are going, I don't even want to live to be 80.

July 6, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  85. Dennis north carolina

only if there is a quality of life???

July 6, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  86. Michael in Albuquerque, NM

I am 52 years old ...does this mean that I will have to listen to another hundred years of Sarah Palin? Kill me NOW!

July 6, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
  87. Pete in Georgia

God knew what he was doing when he made us to go 85-90 years on this planet.
    Any longer than that and we'd all go mad watching the younger generations ruin what we built before them.

Trust in God.

July 6, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  88. Renee Peoria,Ill

Well, first of all, the good doctor is assuming the Mayans were wrong and we won't all be biting the big one in 2012. Which would be preferable. There are already way too many people on this planet which is running out of everything; fuel, food, water, etc. Do you really want to see a real life version of Soylent Green? I'd rather croak at 50, thanks anyway.

July 6, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  89. Jermoe

Gee no one will volunteer for the US killing machine then cause who would want to take a chance on dyin' for America when you could live for ever. How will we be able to exist without people willin' to die to protect us from Terrorists? Oh yeah, Drones!

July 6, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  90. Kenny in California

Unless we get rid of the marketplace with their bottomless pit of profit, and the inflation that it causes we can't afford to live that long.

July 6, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
  91. Mr. D

Talk about outliving your source of money! The future could very well see a reduce life span-natural or man-made. I guess the question is: what for? Oh, yes, so the government can keep collecting taxes.

July 6, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  92. Antonio from Washington D.C.

The years of life has values of nothingess, but how the years of life were spent on this earth has values of somethingness!

July 6, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
  93. Jerry

The only way I would want to live to 150 would be if I was still independant and reasonably healthy to where I could still be able to drive and travel around with ease.

July 6, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  94. Cliff Glass - Rego Park, New York

That would give us what – 81 more years of the Cafferty file ? I'll need to give this a little more thought.

July 6, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  95. Rich McKinney, Texas

Yeah right Jack. Tell that to the guy that got hit by a train last week. Living to be 150 years old when your cut in half is not a real pleasing thought. Suggesting something may happen in the next 25 years and it actually happening are two different things. It is kind of hard to disprove something that has never happened like someone living to be 150.

July 6, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  96. Carol Colitti

Heck, no. If only not to have to look at everyone around me. Eeeeyu. There's not enough botox.

July 6, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  97. Paul from Phoenix

Wow, that would really screw up Medicare and Social Security....oh wait.

July 6, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
  98. Denny from Tacoma

I can only try – one breath at a time!

July 6, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  99. bruce

As long as the pillars of our establishment and feudal leaders (really the Rothschild family) keep pushing toxic vaccines, toxic fluoridated water, toxic genetically modified foods, hitting us with gene splitting airport scanners, and so on, you won't have to worry Jack. It ain't gonna happen except to the hippie types that reject the above food and behavior experiences.

July 6, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
  100. Brian, Pensacola FL

Jack,

It would depend on what percentage of "Me" was still working at 100% operational capability. Amazing, we can't build bridges that can go 150 years anymore but we can do it with people? I think that this whole idea sounds expensive. That's a lot of golden years.

July 6, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
  101. tom

who is going to pay the social security for these long livers?

July 6, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  102. followmal

YES! Think of what all you'd see and be able to know. So much time with grandchildren too. That would be a wonderful blessing.

July 6, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  103. Bill

Only on one condition: that my beautiful wife could do it with me.

July 6, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  104. caryl

Every breath is precious and there is never enough time... trust me I work in a nursing home...

July 6, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  105. David Bendel

Every second on in this universe is incredible, discoveries are made every day that change our knowledge of what and who we really are. I would absolutely enjoy a longer life, I want to witness what is coming!

July 6, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  106. HURRICANEPAUL from Hawaii

Jack, by the time a person born today hits 150, that person could have 4 children, 16 grand children, 64 great grand children, 256 great-great grand children and 1,024 great-great-great grand children, or a total connected family of 1,365 living members in your family.

That person would have to go to over three birthdays per day every day of the year.

God help us...

July 6, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  107. Sam Abrams

These days, I'm not sure I even want to live to 50. Between the economy, politics and global warming, I'm not sure the world will last long enough for anyone to live to 150 years old.

July 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  108. Alex Wuori

Of course. There is so much for me to learn about this world and this universe that I doubt that I'd be able to learn all of it in a measly 80 years. Double that lifespan, and I might be able to get to know a fraction of what there is to know about this planet we live on.

July 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  109. Callahan Casey

What most people don't get is that with a cure for aging, the body would be constantly maintained and constantly vital. Meaning tissue damage would be repaired. So if I can feel AND look 34 when I'm 1,000, yes, definitely, sign me up for the pill.

July 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  110. Scott from NY

Of course it depends on the quality of life. If I can be 150 and remain in the physical and mental state of, say, a 70 year old today, then absolutely.

July 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  111. Dan

No thanks...That's still long long enough for me to see the Maple Leaf's win a Stanley Cup.

July 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  112. Robert Werden

Think of all the history a person could experience. How many times has a person worked all their lives to make something happen then die of old age before they can see it. I'd live 1000 years with out reservation.

July 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  113. Gerret

If the government doesn't raise the debt ceiling I would dread the very idea.

July 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  114. Ashley Dawkins

Negative on this one. There is such a huge difference from when I was a kid in the late '80's until now that I'm nervous to bring kids into the world for fear of what they may have to deal with in the future. 150...?? I'll pass.

July 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  115. Bob Schroder Piedmont Quebec Canada

Not a chance Jack. With my luck you would be the other one to live that long and I don't think I can listen to you for another 100 years

July 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  116. Lana - ON, Canada

Why not! If doctors can go in and reverse aging somehow (which I'm sure will happen) then I'd love to live to see the ways the world will grow!

July 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  117. Mark in Columbus

I will have to live to 150 if I ever plan to retire!!

July 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  118. Michael Angelo

Quality of life should be health care's #1 job. Making us live longer just to suffer the indignity of losing our faculties at a later date is not a pill I would like to swallow.

July 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  119. Evan

If our DNA didn't degrade over time, I would love to live a thousand years or more. Accruing wisdom and watching human history unfold over that time span would be preferable to the little snippet we've been promised in the past. Think of the wonders we'd all witness!

July 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  120. Adam, Boston

I think it would be a good thing in the future, but not now. The planet is so grossly overpopulated as it is, making people live longer will only do more damage. If the population was more under control then yes. I would enjoy the longer life, and I would imagine it would give people the opportunity to experience extra careers in life, and do more of what they love, hopefully. I would imagine retirement age would change instead to a time when you go back to school, get re-educated, and start a new career, trying something that you love more, which would hopefully make people generally happier.

July 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  121. Joe, New York

At that rate, I'll never get to retire.

July 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  122. Brandon

Who wouldn't love to live to 150, in fact for eternity. When we die there is nothing, just like before we were born darkness and void. Why take the best part out of life, living life. You get one life and only one life, why not extend it as long as you can.

Brandon
    Lafayette, Louisiana

July 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  123. Jason

It would give people a new lease on life and I wouldn't mind living beyond 150 if I can afford those expenses to getting a tune-up on my body with new organs and getting my heart pumping. But eventually, there is an "order" to things in life. People grow and live for a certain period of time and then pass on, it could happen at any age, young or old. My best bet to live a long life is to exercise, eat right, maybe even have a good chuckle. If I can live to see the 22nd century, it would be a miracle for it to happen.

July 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  124. Mike in Belthel, CT

Living to 150 years is great, but what do we do with all kids being born. It will get very, very crowded.

July 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  125. Dan

Jack, I sure wish I'd led a virtuous life, but it's a bit late to start now. I think I agree with George Burns on this one. "If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."

July 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  126. Aron D

I would love to live for a 150 years(or longer), but that would mean that I would have a greater chance of contracting/developing a disease that could kill me(like cancer), or have a greater chance of dying from accident.

July 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  127. Steve

Can they grow hair and restore virility? If not I'm out of here!!

July 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  128. Sam

Yes Jack,

Why not? You might even get a chance to take a luxury vacation in space if you wait long enough. How cool would that be?

Sam
    Orlando, FL

July 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  129. Karen

For as long as I can remember I've vowed to anyone that'll listen that I fully intend to live to be AT LEAST 125! What's another 25?! I'm looking forward to it!

July 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  130. Matthew

People are meant to die in the sense that people are meant to get cancer and meant to get heart disease. Yet, the inevitability of these conditions does not prevent us from trying to take action against them. It is only accepted when we can do nothing to stop it. I would have to assume that once we can effectively intervene in the aging process, it will be as accepted as intervening in cancer. Our collective will to survive is just too strong to not take advantage of emerging technologies that will allow us to extend our lives marginally or even indefinitely. I'm not really arguing whether we should or shouldn't take advantage of these technologies, but rather that it is inevitable that our descendents will do so. There will be those who are accepting of this technology and use it to their advantage, and those who will be against its implementation. Over time, all the dissenters will inevitably die out.

July 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  131. Chris in WI

I belive that most fail to understand "undoing" the damage means that you would not be 150 and crippled from your age. You would be able to move around like a 50 year-old still, if this works.

So based on this understanding; yes I would LOVE to live that long! I both enjoy life and a bird in the hand... Nobody can be sure of any afterlife so I'm down with the sure thing.

July 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  132. Liz

As long as I am healthy yes. There is so much left to do and learn! BTW – Jack – your comment re: oatmeal off your sweater cracked me up!

July 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  133. Tom from Nebr.

Good grief No. If I manage another 10 years and make it to 73 that might be too long, especially the way the country is going to hell. If the Republicans win anything in 2012 this country won't be fit to live in if you are not among the 2%.

July 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  134. Eric Pondusa

I want to live so long a I can continue to skydive and make love! I wonder if people will become wiser if we commonly live so long...I sure hope so! :>)

July 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  135. Harvey Greene

It's not how long you live that's important, it's the quality of your life each day
    that you're alive.

July 6, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  136. Brian

Just think how fat Americans can get if they live to 150. Will we see 400 lb 150 year olds riding electric scooters around Disney World? We aren't far from that now. Our medical technology is making it too easy to live if you ask me.

July 6, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  137. Paul, Buffalo, NY

Jack:
    You don't look a day over 140.

July 6, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  138. H. Leon Raper

No, I don't want to live to be 150 years old. I don't want to put up with our corrupt government and the criminals running it any longer than I have to. In fact I am so disgusted that I am ready to end it all now by jumping out of a basement window.

July 6, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  139. Jasleen

I am thinking of what my resume would look like and what kind of education will I be able to achieve !

July 6, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  140. Trent

150 would be nice, but only if it's a quality 150 years. 1000, while mind-boggling, would also be nice. Just think about how much one could do with all of that time!! Lets hope people will have a place to go, since they will be living for practically forever. Earth is too small for an increase in population like will happen with an extended life like this. Maybe revive the space program to get us to Mars?

July 6, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  141. C. Stephens

Absolutely, I would love to have the option of living up to 150. Sadly, I could choose to stop at any time, but living to 150 is an option I don't currently have. It could be a great choice to have.

July 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  142. Greg

Jack:
    It's already possible, 60 Minutes on CBS is proof!

July 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  143. Ken in NC

On;y if Mitch McConnell and his Republicans were to be relocated to the moon.

July 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  144. mike

Not if I have to see you at that age you cranky old fart. I am 60 and all I want to do is get back the beach and go surfing like how I used to ride big waves in Hawaii when I was 40.

July 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  145. Steve

Of course. With the uncertainty of an after-life and having loved ones, why wouldn't we want to live as long as possible? In 1900 the average age was 47 yrs old, now it's almost 80. Those people probably thought "who would even want to live to 80?" in those days.
    We are conditioned to believe 150 is old right now, just like people in 1900 were conditioned to think 80 was old.
    I for one, would love to be around my family as much as humanly possible and watch innovation do miraculous things.

July 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  146. Ed Leblanc

Jack;

Living to 150 would be great, BUT the earth can't support the 6 billion that are already here. Human nature's basic instinct of survival of the fitest would take on a whole new meaning!

July 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  147. Tom K. from Santa Monica, CA

Jack,
    Yes! Life is too short. As long as I'm not a burden to anyone and as long as my wife lives this long too, I would love to see all of the world, make as many friends as possible and drink all the wine my liver allows. Every day is a gift!

Cheers!

July 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  148. Jasleen

And I forgot to mention ..... How are we going to feed the never dying population ?????

July 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  149. ethan

Do I want to live to be 150 years old? You mean again???

July 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  150. M Rajan

It's too far away in time to be decided now. Once I'm close to hundred and I know what kind of world there is going to be...

July 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  151. David Brown

Don't think so, how many people actually die of old age. For one losing you money in the stock market and hoping to get it back every 30 years is enough to kill you. Better time your death at the peak of the of the next 30 year cycle!

July 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  152. TreyTreyTrey

This sounds a lot like a modern version of the tower of Babel. Couple this with the "singularity" that is approaching in 2029, and I think we are becoming a little arrogant about what we are capable of. However, if I'm wrong, doesn't that mean the world will become vastly over populated? Death is natural and should be embraced when the time comes; it does not mean destruction, it means new life.

July 6, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  153. Mike Dunn

Jack, I am a young 36 and will be happy if I can live to 75 with my family's medical history, although my financial advisor says I can't live past 92 or I will run out of money. Does the movie Soilent Green come to mind with the possibility of over-crowding and loss of farm land?

July 6, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  154. AP

Jack,

Living 150 years would be nice since for me life is the best gift any man/woman could ask for. However, you wonder if the required retirement age would change from 65 to 100 in order to receive your full benefits, I'm just saying

AP from Alexandria, VA
    VA

July 6, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  155. Leon in Scottsdale, AZ

No I don't want to live to be 150 years old. I am age 75 now and am ready to end it all by jumping out of a basement window.

July 6, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  156. Jack Staav

I would love to live to 150 and beyond. My dream is to see my beautiful 3 kids grown up and become parents themselves and to see my grand kids as parents too and so on and so on. Life is the most beautiful thing that we have and its longevity is a blessing to all fortunate enough to live a long and fruitful life that includes sharing that life with a great large family.

July 6, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  157. Callahan Casey in New York

If aging is eliminated, the world will get overpopulated. Considering we're already strained for world resources, if no one dies, there won't be very much to go around. So if we become ageless, then we're all gonna have to find a way to sustain a constantly growing global population.

July 6, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  158. Kevin

This depends solely quality of life. I'm sure nobody has the desire to live to be 150-years-old if that means spending the last 60-something years of their life in a nursing home or having to be taken care of by their children. The idea of living to be 150 is a fascinating one that invokes numerous questions. Personally, I would love to live to see 150. If science can let us live that long then there must be science dedicated to making sure the quality of life at that age is worth it.

July 6, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  159. Nael Gharzeddine

Only if it comes with good health, mentally and physically, and in a better world, not in a world where everyone I know now has passed away or that where people hide from acid rain and UV sunlight, and can't find a tree outside a park.
    Perhaps scientists should also focus on adding quality to life, not just days or years.

July 6, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  160. Jos

Of course I would and anybody who has once felt any semblance of a love of life would want to live to be 150 and beyond. The problem is that it isn't quantity of life that matters but the quality of the life lived, as the cliche goes. With a great deal of the world's states still fighting with each other and people struggling to simply survive in America, which, remember, is supposed to be the light of prosperity in the world I think we should concentrate more on improving and bring joy into this life right here and now rather than trying to deny inevitable things like death and, yes, taxes. Besides human beings shouldn't forget that it is ultimately the transience of life that provides it with meaning in the first place. If everyone could live eternally think of the apathy that would ensue – one day would mean no more than the next. I say the problem is that people don't cherish life as it is right here and now, not that we need more life since it seems most societies are taking life for granted as it is.

July 6, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  161. Gary - Woodhaven, Michigan

Imagine, sitting in the banquet room at the local Holiday Inn celebrating my 125th wedding anniversary, wishing.....hoping.....praying......
    Kevorkian has been reincarnated.

July 6, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  162. Coleen in Kansas City

i'm not so sure the earth will be so wonderful to be in 1000 years down the road. If there isn't global shift in consciousness than there won't be an earth worth living in!

July 6, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  163. Danny hawes

Jack,that would be great but first we need to get good leadership that can push us forward to a time where every man woman and child has their own garden of eden with food ,water,shelter,access to transportation,education,security,some type of work to keep us busy so we don't get to fat.these new medical advances are amazing.these also are same tech that some politicians did not want us to have,many other advances are being held back from us in the name of greed.we can have it all but not without a government that works for us not against us.I say Eden on earth now we can do it the answers are all there. Danny ,Santa clarita ca.

July 6, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  164. Dee in New Paris Ohio

I would NOT want to live to be 150 years old.

In fact, I am GLAD I am already a 'senior citizen', because that means I very likely will not be alive when things REALLY start to get bad.

Like, when the population has increased to the point of unsustainability. When water becomes the most precious thing on earth. When man reverts to the savage state to be able to get a bite to eat.

And I doubt that we will ever get to people living that old. Didn't someone once say that if the bees disappeared mankind had only a couple of years? Well, I live in the middle of farm country. so far this entire year I have seen TWO honey bees, and only ONE Monarch butterfly.

Mankind is next!

July 6, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  165. David

No, are you kidding, Medicare can't handle the aging now, how are they going to stay solvent if people start living 150yrs. Just out of curiosity, what would be the retirement age, if it's still going to be 65 then were really screwed. The world is already through it's resources to fast, the only thing that would be saved by keeping people alive to 150 would be cemetery space
    Dave from Peterborough, NH

July 6, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
  166. Matt

Hey Jack,

Well, would I be able to get to 150 and look like George Clooney, or get to 150 and look like you?
    Matt
    St. Augustine, FL

July 6, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
  167. Maria Altschuler

Dear Jack,
    YES, I would like to live 150 and more.
    If you can invite Dr. De Grey on your program or any program to interview him and open the discussion on this very important matter.
    Thank you and do more of this type of news.
    Maria

July 6, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
  168. Judd Marquis

HECK YES! it'll take that long to get my money back from my house and get the democrats and republicans to take some darn responsibility and solve our budget problems!

July 6, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  169. Matt

Hey Jack,

Well, could it to lead to lower monthly payments on a 100 year mortgage or a 30 year car loan?

Matt
    St. Augustine, Fl

July 6, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  170. Judd Marquis

SURE! I'll need tose years to pay back my part of the stimulus!

July 6, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  171. david from Lagos

So many businesses rely on people dying to make money, we will have to rename Life Insurance and pension firms will start committing murder.

July 6, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
  172. Steven in MO

It would depend on the quality of life at that age. Will I still be able to lead a productive life when i'm that old? I am 50 now and presently don't see myself working past 65, if I make it that far. If a person could continue working past 100, then why not. And then there's the question of the global population and who your neighbors will be.

July 6, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
  173. cole younger derby,ks

no to long of a time it would also put a burden on our economy as well put to much burden on the goverment. jobs would be really hard to find and keep as anyone over 50-70 would get fired or laid off as they will not have the new age knowlege of the job as well as not being able to keep up or at least need more education for me it would be just too old

July 6, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
  174. Joe Young

Yup. I want to live as long as I can. I'm 63. So many wonderful things have happened in my lifetime that I am curious as to what more may come. Curiosity – that's the key to my desire to live. As long as I can learn, I'll stick around. Now, Where's my jet pack?

July 6, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
  175. J

Um... Where are we going to put all the people?

The planet is already overpopulated. If we double the life expectancy (or crank it up to 1000) the population is going to explode.

July 6, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
  176. Mason Lilly in Issaquah

In one of the lesser read travels of Gulliver, Jonothan Swift discussed this eventuality in detail. The Struldbrugs who lived among the Luggnuggs lived forever. This did not mean that they didn't age - they did! Their teeth fell out,; their bowels failed; they simply became more and more decrepit. The more normal people in the kingdom eventually figured out how to deal with them. To keep them from ultimately owning everything, they were not allowed to own property. And the final insult was that they were simply declared legally dead when they reached age 80 (which is now the neww 65). Having just arrived at this point in my own life, this does not sound like a good solution. I'll take my chances on the way it is now.

July 6, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
  177. cole younger derby,ks

simply no but it is like going to the movies for 15 hours with out intermmision no thanks tell me how it ends

July 6, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
  178. Tom from Nebr.

This planet will be a toxic wasteland well before any of us could live that long. In our ignorance and greed we have despoiled the only place we can live. 7 Billion of us and counting. Water will be the new oil. Future wars will be fought over access to clean water if there is any left to fight over.

July 6, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
  179. M. Hyder

Who wants to be in the geriatric age group for 100 years? No thanks!

July 6, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
  180. Charles of Oregon

Yes, Jack, Yes. I'm 60 and winning the battle against 4 serious medical conditions, having great walks with my wife of 4 months along a flat stretch in the park nearby, much enJOYing my 5 GrandKids, and a book of my poetry was just published! So, as long as the pain does not dim the thousand watt gleam in my eyes, and it never has, then, well, I got a whole lotta love & need more time to get it all out ! You know the feeling?

July 6, 2011 at 6:57 pm |