June 2nd, 2011

Can Rep. Anthony Weiner survive Weinergate?

ALT TEXT

Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-NY) encounters a group of reporters as he leaves his office. (PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Watching Wolf' Blitzer's interview with Congressman Anthony Weiner yesterday was sort of like watching one of those Buddhist monks set himself on fire. You feel bad for the guy, but it's impossible not to watch it.

Weiner has spent a lot of time trying to talk himself out of a hole over the past few days, but the hole may be getting deeper.

The incident in question - a lewd photo sent from Weiner's Twitter account to a female college student that went out to 45,000 other people as well - was bad enough. But watching the way Weiner's been handling the media circus surrounding it is even worse. And it could kill his career.

Maybe he should take a lesson from New Jersey Governor Chris Christie. Yesterday we reported Christie flew a state helicopter to his son's baseball game. Bad move for a budget conscious guy many hope will run for president. But today he admitted he made a mistake and said he'll pay for the cost out of his own pocket - $2,500. Chances are he won't do that again and the story now will go away.

For Weiner, that's not happening.

Prior to what's now being called Weinergate, the congressman, an outspoken but articulate liberal, has been rumored to be considering a run for mayor of New York City in 2013. The events of the past week could endanger that.

Weiner represents a district in Queens and Brooklyn that traditionally votes Democratic. Last year, he faced his toughest battle for re-election in his 13-year congressional career, winning just 59 percent of the votes. In all previous races, he won more than 66 percent of the votes.

Of course, a run is still two years off, and a lot can happen in politics - and political scandals - in that time.

Here’s my question to you: Can Rep. Anthony Weiner survive Weinergate?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Ed in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania:
I like Anthony Wiener. However, if he really didn't do it, why doesn't he simply deny it and turn it over to law enforcement? He has said he is hiring a firm to determine whether to turn it over to law enforcement. I have been victimized on the internet and have immediately turned it over to law enforcement with astoundingly good results. I would like to continue to like Anthony Weiner because I have always found him forthright and direct. But now he is squirrely and circuitous, leading me and others to think he's not such a straight arrow.

Donald in California:
I'm a fan of the congressman, but his mumbling with this issue doesn’t pass the smell test. First time I have seen him at a loss for words.

Kathie:
Given his avoidance of any clear answer and his arrogance, his downfall is imminent.

Susan in Denver:
Nope. If he had flatly denied it several days ago and then shut up, he might have had a chance. But the more he talked, the worse he looked, and I now believe he's toast.

M. in Austin:
Of course he will survive this. I don't know if I can though. The endless sea of news media reporting over stupid stuff annihilates all reason. Palin taking a bus ride– who cares what she does? A picture of a man in briefs - How sexually repressed are we as people where anything concerning genitals gets this kind of coverage?

Josh in New York:
There is only a Weinergate because you are all covering it as such. Compare to Schwarzenegger; we know that's a scandal because there's an actual kid who was born. Or Larry Craig; the guy was arrested by an actual cop. What is the core fact in the Weiner case? He says he didn't send he picture. She says she didn't receive the picture. Where is the transgression? I can't find one. How about fewer questions about who's crotch is in the photo, and more, you know, journalism?

Filed under: Government • Scandals
  1. Larry Feierstein-Denver

Of course he will. As with most in political office, he will act as if its not him, not his fault and never happened- UNTIL HE's CAUGHT. I dont think it will change his wants to be mayor, but his real personality will show the more reporters press him for the truth- whatever that is perceived to be.

June 2, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  2. Alex in Bremerton, WA

EVERYTHING Andrew Breitbart has been involved in has turned out to be more fiction than fact! Unfortunately, by the time the truth comes out the damage has been done because people only remember the screaming salacious headlines. So, yes Jack, Rep. Weiner will survive.

June 2, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  3. david seattle

i hope not,,, more special interest govt officials undermine our peoples needs for honest , proper trade policy govt.

June 2, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  4. Kurt-Chicago

Obviously he doesn't follow Brett Favre on Twitter

June 2, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  5. Peg in NY

Weiner has waffled on Weinergate. Put him on a stick and roast him. He's a toasted weenie.

June 2, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  6. Steve, NY

He can't survive, his Pinocchio nose gives him away. He should resign before the nose gets bigger.

June 2, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  7. JENNA

Can Rep. Anthony Weiner survive Weinergate?

I believe that Rep. Weiner twitter account was HACKED. And it will be interesting to see who is behind it. Rep. Weiner is very critical of the GOP and calls them on the carpet with regularity and I am sure this is their version of "payback" because they are the party of JUVENILES.

Case in point jack, how did you come up with WEINERGATE? Did you think that was "funny" ? Seriously.

I am looking forward to seeing what the investigation uncovers. A lot of the GOP are going to be eating a lot of CROW.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

June 2, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
  8. Paul From Austin Texas

All this talk is just that talk and does not amount to a pile of beans that go with a Weiner. Sorry but like my statement Weinergate will amount to nothing.

June 2, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  9. dave in nashville

Double entre answer...we can get him out of congress and hand him over the NYC where he belongs. What a weiner.

June 2, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  10. Mark in Oklahoma City

Congressman Weiner will survive because the media has a liberal bias. But, after it's all over and forgotten he will know what it feels like to go through an actual "weiner roast".

June 2, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  11. Jim in Gardendale, Alabama

Not if the media keeps pressing it like they are. This is nothing more than a prank and probably occurred during his college years. The public has become so nosey and intolerant of anything this day and time that nobody can do anything without a big to do about it. The media is like a shark that smells blood and I'm sure the republicans are pressing for the issue to be continued. Disgusting.

June 2, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  12. pat in michigan

Sorry Jack .This weinergate thing is just another sideshow meant to distract from the real issues.It reminds me a LOT of the old dirty tricks group from the Nixon days.

June 2, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  13. Loren

Poor guy, whether he did it or not, he will forever be associated with Weinergate.

June 2, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  14. David in Tampa

Hot dog, Oh joy. Imagine that, another politician in hot water. I guess this time it is only fitting that a Democrat be in the hot seat, since the last idiot that let his libido get the better of him was a Republican. I don't recall any women holding office that seem to have this problem. Maybe we should get more Ladies to run for congress and dispatch the "good old boy club."

June 2, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  15. Conor in Chicago

It's an obvious hack job. Moving on....

June 2, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  16. Mary - Philadelphia, PA

Of course, he can. He got punked. He didn't handle the press well, but I don't think he sent that photo or broke any law. This is a man who stands up for what he believes in. He fought the good fight for 9/11 first responder health benefits. He continues to the fight the good fight for the middle class every day. I wish those causes received half the attention this photo is receiving.

June 2, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  17. elsie

he won't answer a simple question, he will be ruined

June 2, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  18. Jack F.

If Rep. Weiner plans on remaining a member of Congress, then he must expose the truth.

June 2, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  19. Big Bill in Kansas

Yes Jack, he will survive.

There is one thing the media is overlooking. I don't know anything about Twitter, but if the picture came from Congressman Wiener's Twitter account, but the target never saw the picture, then how did the person who reported the incident to the media even know the event had occurred?

I am going to assume the picture is his. He may have taken it to send to his wife in a private message and just forgot it was there. I am sure he would not be first person who took a picture of a body part to send to a loved one.

June 2, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  20. Jef

Yes, if the media "shuts up" and starts reporting news!

June 2, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  21. MYSTERIOUS

Someone needs to get some a life. This ranks up there with the birther issue.

June 2, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  22. Paul, New Port Richey, Fl

Hopefully this snarkey twit dissappears. Oh wait. He's a Democrat. Nothing will happen.

June 2, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
  23. ImALibertarian

- Houston

Depends on how gullible his constituents are. When my kids were 4 years old, they did a better job of lying than Rep. Weiner.

June 2, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  24. Jamie in St. Louis

I don't know how he's survived his own mouth for so long. He's viscious and obnoxious. Maybe this will clue his district in to the kind of person they've been supporting.

June 2, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  25. Ed from Texas

Senator Vitter (R-La) apeears to have survived "Diapergate" so, anything is possible.

June 2, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  26. Jack Torrence

I feel that he can but it would be ideal if he were able to take some time away from the spotlight and relax. The last time he was at the Overlook Hotel I found Rep.Weiner to be an extremely delightful fellow,he treated my wife and twin daughters very well. I wish Rep.Weiner the best and hope that he does not become a "dull boy" after this incident.

June 2, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  27. Jane (Minnesota)

Yes he can. This story should not be getting the attention it is given the state of the economy and the high unemployment etc. It just shows that the "news" media has signed on to the fact that ratings are more important than "news" and more and more are looking like the newstand tabloids. Congratulations News media!

The Representative doesn't stand out there and public preach family values like some of those right leaning sneators and representatives who have recently been caught in sex scandals. Granted, he probably could have handled it better but he's in a no-win situation no matter what he does. He's been a target of the right wingnuts because he's such an outspoken left voice.

This should also be a wake up call to public figures and those to LOVE social media and the internet to double check just how secure your accounts are. The hackers are getting better and better – you MUST stay on top of the latest internet security protection. I work in an I-T department and that is what we have to focus on all the time – it's a never ending battle.

June 2, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  28. Bill in New Mexico

Not, if his constituents saw the way he avoided each and every question directed to him about the allegations.

That was guilt speaking.

June 2, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
  29. Susan Frost

I just love Anthony Weiner and hope he didn't do anything this dumb; however, he is a MALE so I accept the possibility that he did. If men want to really impress women, why don't they send photos of something we're interested in – like their bank balance, stock certificates and real estate deeds. When I see underwear, it only makes me think of laundry!

Susasn
    Tuscaloosa, AL

June 2, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  30. Brad, Portland, OR

It seems like much ado about nothing.

I think it's a lot more relevant that Gov. Chris Christie used a New Jersey state helicopter often used for Medevacs, which means it was unavailable for that purpose, to fly him to his son's baseball game, and then back to Trenton to meet with wealthy Republican donors about a possible run for the Presidency.

Misusing state funds and resources for personal use seems to be a lot more important than some dumb Twitter picture.

June 2, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  31. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

If he is giving the people in his district the service they want then yes but in all reality, I doubt it. He is overly emotional but at least he doesn't cry every time he talks about his life nor does he just know a few words like the majority leader of the House, tax cuts for the wealthy.

June 2, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
  32. John from Alabama

Jack: Yes, if he will only shut up an let the police to their investigation. Cyber crime is usually above the local police ability to control. It will probably take the NSA or CIA to find out who hacked his twitter account. Rep. Weiner should take a vaction from the press.

June 2, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  33. Dianne Cooperman

3 words: Can dogs fly?

June 2, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  34. Terry in Virginia

Professionally, he'll probably survive. Personally, I feel sorry for his family because of the public attention paid to this issue that could easily have been dismissed by Mr. Weiner if he had just said, "No, that is not a picture of me." I can't recall this happening with a female member of Congress, so please forgive me when I ask, why is it when grown men go to Congress, they turn into "frat boys" who play games rather than concentrate on the business at hand which is jobs, saving the middle class rather than increasing the burden on us, and holding the idiots who created this financial nightmare accountable?

June 2, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  35. Bizz, Quarryville Pennsylvania

Jack, I see the press already labeled this event with a title of wiener gate. I personally do not see why the news media waste their time on such silly things? The only reason I can come up with is it's good for the ratings. But is not good for the country, especially when it takes away time from more important things, such as the stock market dropped in points and the three wars that are still continuing with my grandson in one of them. I can turn on foreign news and get more news about what is happening in my own country instead of the crap I get from the America News Media. If I wanted to waste my time with such things I would be watching Jersey Shore and the new Paris Hilton reality show. As far as answering your question, I don't see how anyone can survive when the press attacks them like a flock of vultures.

June 2, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  36. Mike D.

This could be an ELE for Weiner, bottom of the NINeth, two outs, full count!!

June 2, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  37. garry,dayton ,oh

why not,if bush can survive after killed more than 10000,soldiers and made more than 40000 handicaps iand put country billions dollrs dept,

June 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
  38. Pete in Georgia

He may be able to but the real question is whether his "weiner" can.

June 2, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
  39. Tom in Desoto, Tx

Sounds like a new sitcom for September.

June 2, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  40. Nora, C.C.Texas

Really? Who cares if he does. What a waste of space, time,etc. to even discuss this. The ladies of the View said as much and then sat there and talked and laughed about it I am guessing a slow news day, or is someone trying to be funny???

June 2, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  41. Dawson - Bellingham Wash

Mickey Mouse could survive Weinergate. This so-called scandal barely rises to the level of naughtiness, so don't starty erecting "gates" for it. And, if I were the skinny congressman, I'd be half hoping it doesn't blow over anytime too soon–those boxers had a pretty fair tilt to them.

June 2, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  42. Jeff in Bishop, Georgia

If he were a conservative, Weiner would be unemployed & searching for work most likely as a lobbyist. However, since he's a liberal, he'll protest, delay, distract, and speak tangentially until he appears the victim. Pathetic.

June 2, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  43. Sylvia from California

Not only will he survive this but the idiots in NY will probably nominate him for a nobel prize....

June 2, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  44. Annie, Atlanta

I'm going to let this one play itself out before jumping to conclusions. According to actual investigative work done by tech geeks on the blogs, too many "facts" are not adding up as such. If you can easily hack an account, as was exhibited on another cable news station last night, that doesn't bode well for anyone involved in social networking. There are many people more than willing to destroy the career of someone who is a political opposite, by whatever means necessary. Add to that the MSM, where investigating a story before running with it is nonexistent. This makes me uneasy, as it should all of us.

June 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  45. Bit

Yes he can Jack-

That's if he can keep his mouth shut and keep his Kibbles and Bits out of the twitter world.

Bit
    Prattville, Alabama

June 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  46. Al, Lawrence KS

I suspect that, because of his name, Rep Weiner has endured far more bullying during his lifetime than the current crop of reporters can dish out. Yes, he will survive, and be stronger than before.

June 2, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  47. Mr. D

I can see "standing up" or "pointing" to things you believe in, but this is taking it too far. It appears that Weiner is poor at covering up, himself included.

June 2, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  48. Gary in Pa

Sure he can, he lies like the rest of the Democrats.

June 2, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
  49. DON IN WESTPORT, MASS.

It's not looking good for the Weiner. He's holding something back.
    I think this hot dog stand is out of buisness.

June 2, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  50. Josh C From NYC

There is only a Weinergate because you are all covering it as such. Compare to Schwarzenegger; we know that's a scandal because there's an actual kid who was born. Or Larry Craig; the guy was arrested by an actual cop. What is the core fact in the Weiner case? He says he didn't send he picture. She says she didn't receive the picture. Where is the transgression? I can't find one. Your story here should be, was the congressman account hacked; not, "Was this his junk?" Are you investigating that angle? By following the lurid instead of the factual, cable news has created this particular -gate. How about fewer questions about who's crotch is in the photo, and more, you know, journalism?

June 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  51. Jim

Jack,

Doesn't this make you wish you were a late night comedian? How often do you get a name like that to play around with? I think Weiner the Whiner will be a winner in the winter. He'll survive because by the time folks stop laughing, they'll have forgotten the scandal.

Jim
    Reno, Nevada

June 2, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  52. Joe Ft Walton Bch Fl

He probably survive weinergate, if the photos show he kept his wiener in his pocket.

June 2, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  53. Jenny from Nanuet, NY

Sure-it's kosher.

June 2, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  54. Dave, Orlando, FL

Probably. I can understand his reluctance to state an answer to the question everyone has been asking. If some one took a picture of you and distorted or manipulated it, is it still a picture of you? Not so easy to answer is it?

June 2, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  55. Ed from Harrisburg

I like Anthony Wiener. However, if he really didn't do it, why doesn't he simply deny it and turn it over to law enforcement. He has said he is hiring a firm to determine whether to turn it over to law enforcement. I have been victimized on the internet and have immediately turned it over to law enforcement with astoundingly good results. I would like to continue to like Anthony because I have always found him forthright and direct. But now he is squirrely and circuitous leading me and others to think he's not such a straight arrow. Oh well, I shouldn't really be surprised...

June 2, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  56. Kathie

given his avoidance of any clear answer and his arrogance his downfall is immenent.

June 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
  57. Donald in CA

I'm a fan of the congressman, but his mumbling with this issue doesnt pass the smell test. First time i have seen him with a loss for words.

June 2, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  58. Karen in Colorado

Rep Weiner won't survive because you, CNN and other media prefer sensationalizing what so far should be a non-story. That's easier than doing due diligence as journalists. Shame on CNN for inviting the likes of Andrew Breitbart to speak unchallenged on the alleged scandal. Yesterday's interviews of Weiner should have put this story on the back burner, but no, the media thinks "weinergate" is a sexy lead and you crave details about the photo. The media stopped caring long ago about unearthing and presenting substantiated truths that are newsworthy.

June 2, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  59. Joe

Jack,
    Weiner can survive. It is so nice to know the media focuses so much attention on the tools of life and underwear. If the media would focus on the real issues America may not be in such as sad state as it is now.
    Joe, Binghamton, NY

June 2, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  60. Bobby E. Lahmon Jackson MS

Sure he can but that picture is not his problem the real problem is his own mouth If he's not going to outright deny it or admit it then he deserves whatever happens to him

June 2, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
  61. Gary H. Boyd

Absolutely Jack - everybody loves a wiener. A little mustard, a little catsup and perhaps a few onions on an oversized bun and all is forgiven. . Compared to most political revelations these days, this is a barbeque compared to a bonfire. Anybody want a beer to go with that dog?

Gary in Scottsdale, Arizona

June 2, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  62. Richard35 Canfield, Ohio

Jack, Didn't you know that all politicians are beyond Reproach?

June 2, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  63. Martin

Yes he can

June 2, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  64. Ralph Spyer

America has 9% unenployment, we have 10 million illegals, we borrow money from China to give aid to Israeli. We have 3 wars on going. Why do we care about Anthony Weiner the country has problems and we are on Weinergate? I need a drink.

June 2, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  65. Deborah Seibert,. Co

Probably. Left wingers seem to get by with anything. If this was a Republican, he would have been driven out of Washington by the media by now.

June 2, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  66. Patty

It's a mess that he may not be able to overcome. All I can say is, "thank goodness Anthony's parents didn't name him "Peter." Can you imagine...

Patty in Lakeland, FL

June 2, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  67. Gigi Oregon

Of course he can every other politician has in the past century. Unless we are get a moral backbone it will be business as usual. Only the families we suffer. The politicians just smile.

June 2, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  68. Dee in New Paris Ohio

Of course he can, once the media find another cause to pick away at and attack like a bunch of pit bull dogs!

This is a NON-ISSUE!

No one really cares if there was a photo posted of him ANYWHERE, even if it was REALLY a HUGE play on his name!!!!

Grow up folks!

June 2, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  69. andyz Lynn, MA

Of course! With a bun, mustard, ketchup and other tasty condiments.

June 2, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  70. Karl in Flint

Of course he will survive. That idiot that took his own muscle picture, full face, and posted it deserved to go for stupidity alone. Wiener’s problem is his stupidity in explaining it. If Newt Gingrich can point at Clinton and Lewinsky from his concubine’s bedroom and survive, this is nothing for Wiener. Ensign and Vitter are still there,aren't they?

McGee on NCIS would have it solved by now. and the scoundrel in cuffs.

June 2, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  71. Paulette in Dallas,PA

No. Not if he keeps up with the attitude he displayed at the press conference on Tuesday. I interpreted his attitude as arrogant and narcissistic. What is a lewd picture of Weiner doing floating around on the internet anyway? He should be savy enough to know by now that he can run but he can't hide. The truth will eventually come out. So, Rep. Weiner- if you are involved and did this–Fess Up and face the music because it is going to be playinmg for everyone else to hear anyway.

June 2, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  72. KC

I can believe he may have been hacked. If so the Feds need to investigate and not his independent investigation. However, it's clear that he recognizes the photo because of the ridiculous avoidance of a straight answer. He's a true weiner in every since of the word. Bet his wife is so proud.

June 2, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
  73. Nate

Interesting.... a congressman that cannot make a decision to resolve a situation. If he had any character at all he would at least tell if HE did it or not, regardless of if the picture was manipulated.
    -Nate, NC

June 2, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  74. Claudia, Houston, Tx

If Twitter can survive so will Weiner.

June 2, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
  75. Patrick Johns

Weiner's weiner. Who cares? He'll be ok, if he keeps his mouth shut, and quits feeding into this tripe.

June 2, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  76. Ken in NC

If Rudy G. can survive almost 10 years knowing nothing more than a noun, a verb and 9-11, then "The Weiner" can survive Weinergate.

June 2, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
  77. Barbara T. from Las Vegas

Anthony Weiner is making a bad mistake even worse with the interviews of the past 2 days. He looks like he is playing out a scene from a bad comedy movie. I firmly believe he sent the tweet. He doesn't want it investigated because there was no hacking or "prank". He should learn the difference between sending a direct message to someone and a global tweet, when sending out pictures. Will he survive? Probably, as long as he has the liberal media on his side.

June 2, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  78. Terry in Chandler, AZ

Yes of course. The bigger question is, 'When are you media people going to stop placing the suffix 'gate' at the end of so many of these political situations that are inappropiate?' Watergate was 40 years ago Jack! You people need to forget about the 'gate' suffix.

June 2, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  79. calaurore9

He may survive WeinerGate, hope his wife's name isn't Lorena, though.
    He should either change his name or stop twittering!

Carol in Northampton, MA

June 2, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
  80. HURRICANEPAUL from Hawaii

I don't get it Jack.. The contents of Rep. Weiner's tweet has nothing to do with this case. If someone broke into the congressman's office at night and started reading his personal mail, that would be a felony, no matter what the contents were in the letter.

Rep. Weiner said his account was 'hacked' and a full investigation by the FBI must ensue

June 2, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
  81. mark in arkansas

Any government official that participates directly on social media sites deserves whatever happens to him. I don't care what the benefits are by using twitter, facebook, and the like. All I seem to hear about is the BAD that comes from their use, and any government official should be smart enough to stay out of them.

June 2, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  82. Fred In LA

Of course he will. He's a lying Democrat right? If Barney's gay brothel didn't cost him his re-election bid, why should Weiner sending his Weiner to a female college student effect his chances?

June 2, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
  83. Nancy, Tennessee

I heard that the picture of Rep. Weiner showed him in his underwear. So how many people know the ultimate question, "boxers or briefs"?
    Maybe they weren't looking at the underwear and this question remains a mystery. Either way when people go to the booth in 2 years they'll remember his red face from the news these past few days. It could cost him the election in a couple of years.

June 2, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
  84. David, maryland

For the country's sake, I hope he does.

June 2, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  85. Jerry Jacksonville, Fl.

How do we keep electing the scum of the earth to political office? Most of them are not worth the gun powder that it would take to blow them to hell and back. They cheat, steal, lie, commit adultary and just about ever other form of screwing the average person, they only want to help the rich so their pockets will get stuffed with money for helping the rich get richer.

June 2, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  86. Ruddy Mathison

The congressman doest seem to be truthful it will definately plagued him in time to come . WHY cant these politicians stay away from infidelity or alleged infidelity does it really matters his name should not be involved.

June 2, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  87. Ed from California

Let's be frank!.......... sure he can!!

June 2, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  88. tom

Gosh, this has been a real Weiner roast thus far. Mr. Weiner has a problem greater than running around in his undies. All the man has to do is say, hey that is not me in the picture, but he can't bring himself to do that. Why? Thank God he did show his weiner in that picture.

June 2, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
  89. Bob Dobalina

sure he can.. all he has to say is " I was hacked by Abe Froman, the sausage king of Chicago"

June 2, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
  90. Marcel

He's got a snowball's chance in Hades now that you vultures have latched on to him. His objection was righteous. Newstertainment is the bane of today's political discourse.

June 2, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
  91. Bob in Arkansas

Liberal Democrats are not expected to be honest or loyal to anybody but themselves, and the news media outlets will excuse his behavior. Now... if he had been a Republican... he's gone!

June 2, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
  92. Brad

He should resign! Not for sending the picture but for the lies after.

June 2, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
  93. Kerry Bedford, TX

What is wrong with the news media, have you all gone crazy? Leave this guy alone and move on to the real news, You should all be ashamed of yourselves. I hope one of you gets hacked, then maybe you will know how it feels to get set up and they fried by the media.

June 2, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
  94. Rick

I hope not!!!!

June 2, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
  95. Martin Wielgus

This guy is finished. He might have a career as a pathetic excuse for a stand-up comedian. A lot of goof balls have made it in that field.

Martinsburg, WV

June 2, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
  96. Stacy

I hope not. He can't even answer a simple yes or no question. Is the picture really you?.........

June 2, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
  97. Malcolm, San Diego CA

This is such a non-story. It isn't even a real sex scandal. Every kid on Facebook or Twitter has had their account "hacked" by someone. For a network that talks about Twitter so much CNN sure doesn't know much about it, this has really been ridiculous. I can't believe CNN keeps giving credence to this story, it really lowers my respect for the network.

June 2, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  98. Larry G.

From the very start when Mr. Weiner started talking you can tell he was lying by his answers. After Wolf's interview it sounded like he had some coaching on his answers. I don't know what to think anymore because I feel that "most" politicians, not all, will lie to your face just to get you off their backs...when in reality perhaps we already know what the truth is.

June 2, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  99. Regina

Re: Weinergate...

Jack,

Perhaps a name change...or put some mustard on it!

Regina
    Philadelphia

June 2, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  100. Alpha Collins

Has anyone considered that Weiner did this deliberately. Seriously. He is doing everything he can to make sure the story stays in the headlines. I think the guy has a screw loose.

June 2, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  101. Troy

Yes he can, but when the media decides that something is a story, it's hard for anyone to overcome anything. I love CNN, but this story was exploded by CNN. Who really cares? As long as the lady who received the photo is not upset and understands his explination, who should the media continue to fuel this? The real question should be, How much influence does the media have on public opinion? GO WEINER!!!

June 2, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  102. Dale from Canada

,Jack,I really dont get all the hooplaa about it.Ok so he posted a picture of his underwear to a college student>does that not make him able to do his job efficiently.There are more integral problems facing the US than what colour his underwear is!

June 2, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  103. Gayle from Colorado

If Congressman Weiner doesn't survive he can thank CNN and rest the media for bringing him down and making a mountain out of a molehill. He already said he didn't send the picture. End of story. Time to move on to some real news..

June 2, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  104. Ross Mclean

I think you, the media, are trying to generate a media entertainment moment instead of reporting meaningful news. Shame on you and Wolf.

June 2, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  105. Steve D

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty. This guy is a double victim. First from the prankster that hacked his account and second from all you political hacks that didn't have enough real news to right about so you went out and wrote your own story. Let the sources that be look into what really happened with his email account and then proceed to hang him if it still is news worthy. Thats right you'd guys would gladly hack someone to day rather than wait until tuesday for the no news story!!!!

June 2, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  106. vidya

Ofcourse he will ! I think personally after watching his interview with Wolf that we should put an end to this topic and focus on the nuclear leak plant in New Jersey or the election GOP candidates. He mentioned he did not send it and his account was hacked. That was satisfactory enough. This weiner news is "news without any substance anymore!"

June 2, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  107. Wayne in Atlanta

Jack,
    Fact: Chris Christie did not apologize. Your comparison is off-base.
    Fact: It' always easy to tell when we're in a slow news period. Ridiculous stories like this dominate the news.

June 2, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  108. Susan, Oklahoma

This is a NONE issue. I thinks amazing that the media continues to purse something this trivial and stupid. Of course he'll "survive" this. I hope any media outlet that continues to purse it doesn't.

There are real issues that the American public need to understand and have discussions about – this is NOT one of them. Move on....

June 2, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  109. dave in nashville

The question is why he has enough time to answer 45000 twits in the first place, clothed or naked is not the issue. Just another loudmouth politician who lives above the norm. He couldn't run a strip club, or wait, maybe he could.

June 2, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  110. Lynn

Yes, Congressman Weiner's career can survive. What I find most interesting is his unwillingness to involve the Capital Police or other law enforcement....that makes me believe that the post was done by a family member, former friend, or a member of his staff.

June 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  111. Larry Bauder

The fact that Weinergate is still a story on CNN tells us more about how desperate CNN is to fill air time than it does about the Congressman. Please Please Please find something new to talk about.

June 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  112. Josef

Anthony weiner didn't send the picture. He didn't do anything wrong and therefore has nothing to apologize for. So comparing this to Christie's handling of "coptergate" is not apt. Christe apologized rightly for something he did wrongly. With "weinergate" something wrong was done TO Anthony Weiner.

June 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  113. gary kaposta

Jack, i doubt that most Americans, including yourself ,have even seen the picture of Rep Weiner. One thing is for certain, if you can survive anyone can!

June 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  114. Roberto Dees

I have never trusted Anthony and he's getting the treatment that he deserves. I am sorry that his wife has to deal with it, however.
    It's good that Weiner is exposed. This may prove that he's crooked and deceitful.

June 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  115. Syed Ahmed

Weiner is a good guy. He is a strong and fiery supporter of health care reform and "Affordabe Care Act". I wish him the best. It will a shame if this scandal brings him down.

June 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  116. Paul

yes. this whole thing is completely overblown by the media attention given to it, even if it is a picture of him, who cares, people can take pictures of themselves, as long as he didn't send it to anyone while he was married who gives a crap?

June 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  117. Jim Parsons

Since when is is wearinqg under shorts considered lewd? I see women nothing more then a string which is perfectly fine. I think to much time is being devoted to this rediculous issue.

June 2, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  118. Charles

I'm still trying to figure out what Weiner's done wrong. Nothing, far as I know whether the photo is of him or not. Even if it is, who cares? I do know Christie took advantage of his office when he knew better. Why is he not under arrest charged with a crime?

June 2, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  119. Joan Jackson

Weiner sounded like an idiot. More and more I wonder what we have elected in Washington. With adultry, out of wedlock children, hiding mistresses and etc. We really need to clean out our congress and the White House. They think they can get by with anything and most of them do. My opinion of politicians is as low as it can get. Joan

June 2, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  120. Eric, Pennsylvania

Survive? He easily could have it he answered questions straight forward but his responses have been vague. How could he not know if it was him in the picture? He is making himself look like a sleazy politician.

June 2, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  121. Jerry, Mund, Appleton, WI

Sure he will. This is another gotcha moment for the tabloid press during a slow media week. Titillate them by mixing sex with politics and you have a hot story for the next few days, We'll have a hurricane or another twister soon and this inane story will be moved to the back burner.

June 2, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  122. Liane Waselus, Phoenix, AZ

Sure! You guys will probably even give him his own show (cough, Eliot Spitzer, cough).

June 2, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  123. Dariel, Santa Rosa, CA.

No, not if the voters are so naive that they can't see through a professional confidence man that has been elected by a large margin in the past. His behavior can only be interpreted as someone trying to convince you that the world is flat.

June 2, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  124. Dean from Coldwater, Michigan

I think that like many Americans, he had/has some private things on his computer. Fair enough if meant for family and/or friends. Possibly a running joke of "living up to my name" or some such nonsense.

I think somebody probably hacked into his computer, with a trojan or the like, and moved that "private" picture and tweeted it.

I believe he didn't send it himself and at this point he simply needs to own it and move on. Most people will not only drop the issue but probably do some spring cleaning of their own computers. . .just in case.

He could even make a joke of it. Something like: Trojans + Weiners don't necessarily = protection! Kids, listen up! Just say NO to dumb.

We'd all get a chuckle, he could call it a public service message and the world would continue to turn.

June 2, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  125. Joe Verbeck

The fact that the media is going after the guy while questioning the wisdom of his political career is absolutely mindblowing. There is no legitimate reason to interfere with a public official's love life. Yes, they're voted into office by the people, but that still gives us no right to invade their privacy. In a completely non political matter, the fine folks of the media have decided to make comparisons to watergate and make an absurd deal about nothing consequential. After watching the exchange at Weiner's press conference between the plucky blonde and Weiner himself, it has become apparent that the only reason anyone even cares about what's going on here is because the media is petulantly whining for more controversy, instead of focusing on the real news of the world right now. What news you may ask? Oh, I don't know, maybe the fact that there's a whole batch of revolutions going on right now in the middle east and hundreds of people are dying for their right to democracy? Great job CNN, please hire people who actually know how to objectively report next time, instead of grabbing whatever dime a dozen tabloid reporters you can get your greasy paws on.

June 2, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  126. Alan Webb

Simply put – he's an Idiot. He was asked point blank by multiple interviewers and multiple networks, the simple question was it you, and he refused to say "No" or "Not me". I my mind that equates to "YES". Why is it that guys like Weiner seem to think that by acting outraged at something when they get caught with their pants down gives them credibility?
    He either needs to answer the simple question in one word or give up his job forever. He has no credibility to me.

June 2, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  127. Angela Charlotte

I hope so Jack! Who knows how many ladies have had the opportunity to take a picture of him in his underwear , with or without his knowledge over the years. That's if it is him!!! Today's technology leaves us all vulnerable to cyber attack. The good news is both you and I are too old to have been threatened by it!

Not for reporting

Maybe a Rabbi could tell!

June 2, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  128. AB

Jack, it depends on weither Mr. Weiner comes clean and admit that he did in fact send the picture to the girl. I suspect that he did and is lying about it. His response to the inquiries about this situation does not make sense. If his facebook account was in fact, invaded by hackers, then he should involve the police in investigating this matter since computer hacking is a crime. Yet, he does not do this. He continues to evade questions for details into this matter. He denies that he sent the picture to the girl and that a Republican operative may have done so. Again, if Republican operatives are behind this caper, then it is a crime which merits an investigation by the authorities.

June 2, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  129. Aaron K. in Chicago

Probably. If the media doesn't crucify him first. He said he didn't send the tweet. He told reporters why he didn't want to answer questions and make a big to-do out of something as trivial as a twitter picture. He said he had hired lawyers to look into the next appropriate steps. Hanging on words like "certitude", while it might gain attention rare rile up the rabble, is not news.

I feel like the media is turning into an MTV show being run by Ashton Kutcher and America is getting "punked".

June 2, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  130. Armando Alvarado

Again Jack... the media is dwelling on something completely unimportant to the running of this country. I can not believe that a rated R sex scandal is a bigger story than Gov. Chris Christie being a hypocrite using public money and screwing the hard working Americans of this country. I love CNN but really guys.... there is bigger news out there that matters!!!

Armando
    Ventura, CA

June 2, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  131. phillip marlowe

Weiner can't cut the mustard, he's toast soon.

June 2, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  132. Julia Westerinen

Jack:
    You've already given your answer to a retorical question. In my opinion, the press is rediculously purient and panders to the worst in human nature. Leave the poor man alone! TMI (too much information!) This hounding by the press is ruining yet another person's reputation and it is our loss if Weiner is not reelected. EEEEEK!

June 2, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  133. Van

Whether the picture is of Rep. Weiner or not is irrelevant – I have no doubt that semi-personal pictures have been taken of nearly every politician during a campaign, and that this is one example thereof – the only question is whether the inappropriate message was sent by Weiner or not. With Breitbart involved, I can only assume that some unprincipled conservative activist sent the offending tweet in order to frame Rep. Weiner.

June 2, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  134. Fred in Daytona Beach

The question is not so much "Can Rep. Anthony Weiner survive Weinergate?" but can we, the viewers, survive the medias coverage of a media's coverage of what could easily be an underwear ad if the guy's name wasn't Weiner. Come on folks cover some real issues,, This one's a who cares yawner already.

June 2, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  135. Peter from Canada

Can Rep. Weiner (whining weeeeeeener...) walk on water?
    Peter from Canada

June 2, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  136. Thom

From the video I saw of Christie, he never actually admitted "making a mistake" as Cafferty has suggested. Instead, he said "let's put it behind us". Weiner, on the other hand, said he didn't do what he's alleged to have done. Why would anyone admit to something if they didn't do? In my view, Christie's a bigger weasel for taking the arrogant approach of buying his way out when he knows what he did was inappropriate but never really takes responsibility for it. Giving money to make something go away is hardly ethical.

June 2, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  137. Joe in New Orleans

No Jack, because you media types are keeping this story alive. Weiner is not, the alleged victim is not, you are. You have turned into tabloids and nothing more. What about all of the other really pressing issues, Jack? This is not journalism, it is pandering!

June 2, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  138. Chris In Athens GA

Jack,

This is only a story because we have poor priorities. Think about it- would this scandel be this news worthy and generate this much hype if we were worried about oil in the gulf, Japan, Haiti, Joplin, and on and on.CNN is now running celebrity stories on Mel Gibson and droning on about "Weinergate". This new direction is going to lose viewers. How is this more important than Moody's warning the US about the debt ceiling?

Hint- stop talking about it Jack and leave the gossip to less credible resources.

Thanks,

June 2, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  139. Barry

I believe he can rise to the occasion.

June 2, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  140. Kelly

This whole thing a travesty. The fact that we are even giving this story so much publicity is beyond my realm of understanding. Rep. Weiner is handling this the way he should be: by not giving answers to stupid questions.

In my opinion, the picture isn't even offensive. I've seen far worse in Abercrombie & Fitch ads (like the ones where they were trying to sell padded bikini tops to 8-year-olds: now THAT is what I consider lewd and offensive). Likewise, Miss Genette Cordova has made eloquent and informative statements about her victimization in this matter. The fact that both Weiner and Cordova are being raked over the coals in this matter is petty and vindictive.

I simply DO NOT CARE if that picture is Rep. Weiner in his underwear. I simply DO NOT CARE who sent it or why. But I CARE that we consider this fodder for our over-sensationalized nation and our hunger for dirty laundry. It's embarrassing.

K. Glendale, California.

June 2, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  141. Lori J from Toronto On canada

I don't believe the question should be, can rep. Anthony Weiner survive Weinergate. It should be, can Rep. Anthony Weiner survive WEINER ROAST? It's a mystery to me when you can't identify your own body parts!

June 2, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  142. David

He was clear and said it was a prank. He is doing interviews and telling each interviewer that they are being silly by prolonging the story. We live in a foolish country divided by people that do not have the capacity to accept those with different values and perspectives. Just read all of the comments about this prank.

June 2, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  143. Greg Quick- Canada

Honestly, who cares wether he did or didn`t. If a law was broken, let the justice department sort it out. If guilty, then there`s your story. What is more incredible Jack is the term Weiner-gate. This is AWSOME! You could not pay Hollywood writers to come up with this stuff. Good for you guys.

June 2, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  144. AJ in Austin

Hi Jack. There a few things that aren't adding up here:

1) Many times, a hacker will immediately change a password once they've hacked into someone's account, thereby locking the user out of his own account.
    2) Many times, a hacker will compromise a user's personal information from the settings menu such as Name, DOB, Address, email address etc.
    3) Many times, a hacker is able to hack into a user's other accounts – email, facebook, bank accounts, because users tend to use the same password for all of their internet accounts.
    4) Many times, if a hacker is sending messages (email or tweets) on your behalf, they send it to multiple people, which didn't happen in this case.
    5) If this 'hacker' is still on the loose, shouldn't other members of congress be worried that their Twitter/Facebook accounts might get hacked from the same hacker?

If you take all of these things into account, it makes NO sense why congressman Weiner hasn't called for an investigation.

June 2, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  145. Moby

I dont know if he is going to survive the Weinergate? all i know is that guy name is weiner people need i say more?? . May be is living upto his name .

June 2, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  146. Michael Tavella

No, Jack, that's shouldn't be the question. THe real question is whether I can survive this idiotic non-story.

With all the real stuff going on around us, why are you idiots in the media focusing on on sheer nonsense-and then making it out to be some earth shattering scandal???

Are you serious or what?

June 2, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  147. Keith C

So what are you suggesting? That he apologize for sending the picture, even if he didn't do it? Is that what it would take to make CNN cover some real news (you know, boring stuff like the high unemployment rate, the poor state of the economy, the wars currently being fought, etc) instead of this nonsense? Chris Christie thought it was ok to go to his kid's baseball game on the taxpayer's dime (you know, something taxpayers might want to know about), and yet it got far less coverage. So much for the "liberal media" myth.

June 2, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  148. oscar

Will he survive? Probably, but to a much lesser degree than he might have hoped for. If he ever had political visions of being President that's gone now. But I wouldn't be shocked if he wins that coveted Mayor post.I mean really what's the bigger issue of today – Weiner pictures or Christie's helicopter ride? If you ask me Christie is a hypocrite, Weiner just likes taking pictures!!

June 2, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  149. pad

All the weiners need to be replaced you just vote them out of office.Thanks
    Paul
    Ames ia

June 2, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  150. Thom Richer

First of all, who really cares if he does or not? Really doesn't matter one way or the other to the people of N.Y. or the rest of the country who is in his seat. The number of Congressmen over the past one hundred years who have made a difference of any significance could be counted on one hand. In our present time, one would have to think pretty hard to come up with even one. So, it might matter to him but will not make much difference to we the people. There are many "Hot Dogs" in Coingress, (not a typo) but only one Weiner with his buns in the fire. Electing such people to high office in the first place practically guarantees he will survive. The sad part of this and other elected official's woes, is that they are so lacking in character that they do not tell the truth , or even know how to be truthful and blatantly continue to lie or deceive us even when exposed.

June 2, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
  151. Uplander

Who REALLY believes that's weiner's package in the picture!!!! I wish he'd just say, that's NOT me!!!!!

Also, who really thinks that picture is LEWD???

June 2, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
  152. yomamayo

Weiner man is done.

If not, then we all deserve the screwed up country we have and will continue to have w/perverts like Weiner and Frank in office.

June 2, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
  153. Jeff from Ohio

Can you actually say "Weinergate" on CNN ?

June 2, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
  154. kaydevo

Of course Weiner will survive professionally. The media is doing its usual unprofessional job of obsessing about stuff that regular folks don't care about. We care about jobs, the economy, 3 unnecessary wars, Medicare, etc.

June 2, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  155. Pamela

This is absolutely ridiculous! I understand what Weiner was trying to do two days ago when he "avoided" questions. He wanted the press to see how silly this all was and to focus on things that really matter such as the debt ceiling. The media including CNN are picking apart his statements to "spin" what he is trying to say into something that ....ooooohhhh...could be a deep dark secret about underpants.

June 2, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  156. Tony P. from Oakland, Ca.

Yes Jack,
    He can survive. Evidently, Mr. Weiner has only been married a year. Obviously, he was either single or dating someone before this marriage. As such, it is completely conceivable, Weiner, a single man dating someone in a serious relationship, shared intimate information within legal limits solely meant for the receiver of whom such a possible e-mail would have been sent to. When one understands how appropriateness within private limits may have been hacked, and such a private picture leaked. One begins to understand the situation Weiner may find himself in. If so, he would have no choice but to tell the truth private data was breeched and hacked onto other data. What else could be done??? In this speculative hypothetical scenario, Weiner has told the truth, and nothing else need be discussed.

June 2, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  157. TMart

I think he'll survive it, but he'll always be a Wiener. One amusing side of this story is that it made me realize that the House has a Wiener (D-New York), Boehner (R-Ohio) and Dicks (D-Washington). Inappropriate, maybe but entirely factual.

I think he needs to just admit it is a photo of him but that he did not send it out (assuming that is the truth). By refusing to confirm that it is indeed himself in the picture, he's digging a mighty deep hole.

June 2, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  158. curtune440

I'm confused as to why he won't file a police complaint. Is it because, if it turns out he did send it, then he would have perpetrated a crime? That is a point that, to me, speaks very loudly concerning his innocence.

June 2, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  159. Twophad

He certainly SHOULD survive it...Why do the media people never consider the source? They don't, and that's why idiots like Breitbart can create these little diversions again and again and again. Take someone who's an effective politician and make the story about sex. Always. It's from BREITBART, for god's sake!

June 2, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
  160. Tom from Nebr.

Stop the witch hunt. I'm sick of hearing about this non issue. Surely there is something more important to talk about. Let the man get back to work and quit hassling him.

June 2, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
  161. AB

On second thought, Jack, I think that Mr. Weiner has put himself in a very messy no-win situation that he will not survive. Weiner is a married man exposing himself to a college girl and then lying about it. Both behaviors are socially and morally inappropriate. Either way, he's finished politically.

June 2, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
  162. Ryan

Reading these responses are depressing. First off, 70% of these people responding are registered Democrats I would assume. Secondly, they seem like they have no clue as to what is going on. He wasn't hacked (take it from somebody with experience), he lied. It is that simple.

If the man would just admit his mistake and take some responsibility then maybe even Republicans could respect him. Watching him blame everyone else, including his wife it seems, reminds me of a little kid trying not to get grounded by their parents. For that alone, he deserves to be removed from office.

Too bad for us regular Americans who aren't drunk off the KoolAid that he is from NY. We all know that know how it turned out for his buddy, Charlie (He got off with no real punishment). I am sure he will be re-elected easily. Liberal NY voters like the red meat coming from their politicians, and Mr. Weiner throws a lot in their direction.

June 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  163. John Martin in Shoreline, WA

I wish the press would return to the days of Kennedy and stop obsessing about Weiners.

June 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  164. Pamela from Idaho

Yes he'll survive if the media including CNN quit trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, or dare I say, a sex scandal out of photo shopped underpants pictures. This is absolutely ridiculous! I understand what Weiner was trying to do two days ago when he "avoided" questions. He wanted the press to see how silly this all was and to focus on things that really matter such as the debt ceiling. The media including CNN are picking apart his statements to "spin" what he is trying to say into something that ....ooooohhhh...could be a deep dark secret about the real meaning of his last name.

June 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  165. Benjamin Carter from DC

His "toughest" re-election ever, winning "just 59 percent of the vote." I guess an 18 point lead and a twitter hack really puts you in volatile territory! *rolls eyes*

What a non-issue this all is.

June 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  166. aelarsen

this guy has made an indiscretion into a national joke....
    get it behind you and move on.....tell the truth

June 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  167. Jake

Not if the Speaker of the House does his duty an orders an investigation.

If, someone did impersonate a congressman by posting something on his Twitter account, then they committed a crime... which they might commit again to a different congressman. The police must investigate.

If, it turns out that: 1) it is a photo of Weiner, or 2) Weiner did post it, then he is done... he lied to everyone and will have no credibility... he would have to resign.

If, Weiner is truly innocent, then he should be demanding an investigation... the fact that he isn't speaks volumes.

June 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  168. ratickle

Yet another lying politician. Why should this incident end his career? We have plenty of other lying politician's in office.

June 2, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
  169. Stanfrisco

Firstly, there's something called gravity for every story. To make a comparison between the misappropriation of public funds and the tweet of an inappropriate photo is hardly fair. In hindsight Weiner's refusal to discuss with the press what he considered a non-issue was obviously a mistake. Although his initial assessment of this 'news' item probably will prove to be valid, he failed to keep mindful the press prejudice 'Guilty 'til proven innocent, regardless of the charge'. I'd love to see how a curmudgeon like yourself would handle such a matter, if the hand that feeds you were to make a similar judgement of your character. Secondly, yes, Weiner will survive and recover from what surely will prove to be yet another dysphemistic press assault.

June 2, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
  170. Kenneth Krieger

Weeeener is done. Stick a fork in him. Ken Krieger Cape Coral, Florida

June 2, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
  171. Andrew - Duluth, MN

If history is any indicator, he'll be in the DFL primaries by 2016. It took him less than a year of marriage to prove he's of low moral fibre, which trumps Guiliani, McCain, Edwards, et al. Speaking of trump, we'll be too busy looking for a birth certificate to worry about personal and professional conduct in our "leaders".

June 2, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
  172. Scott in NYC

Who cares? What exactly did he do wrong? He's not a religious figure and, althought not in the best taste, if he did tweet a picture of his....little Weiner, that's between him and his family. Many, MANY people text or e-mail nude pictures of themselves but the minute someone is identified as doing so, the entire country villifies and comdemns him or her. Lighten up, people and don't act so holier-than-thou because I guarantee a good number of you critics are doing the exact same thing. And, as long as it's legal and not victimizing someone, I say 'WHO CARES?'

June 2, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
  173. aelarsen

how does mrs. weiner feel about this......I don't think she will be tooting his weiner whistle any time soon....of course the pun is intended.....you can't make up fictional stories this ridiculous.....politics,hackers...bvd's....

June 2, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
  174. Rick Basso

I don't understand just what mistake you want Rep. Weiner to admit to. You are assuming he is guilty of sending the tweet and apparently won't let it rest until he admits to doing it whether he did or not. It's no wonder your country is in so much trouble. With everything collapsing around you this incident is your top story. God help you.

June 2, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
  175. Vick, Orange Park , FL

Of course he can he is on a roll.

June 2, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
  176. PA in Kentucky

Its real simple to put all this to bed.The man is a sitting member of the United States Congress and he freely admits his account was hacked that is a felony right there and because he is a member of Congress the FBI needs to investigate and report the findings.This is a breach of security in the US Goverment and Mr.Weiner does not have the right to decide what federal violations are and are not investigated .And Jack the answer to your question is I think this Weiner cooked itself !

June 2, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
  177. Mary

Well, Obviously some Republican is hoping his career can't withstand this...
    It's too easy to hack these days.. What person would post a picture like that of themselves, that is so public ,and easy to access? When the only outcome would be to derail their own career?
    I vote for his account being hacked... Just like he said..

June 2, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
  178. fred

if the weiner doesn't fit, you must acquit

June 2, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
  179. Jobert (NYC)

It is just a WEINER..It is not a Threat to our National Security...The Media needs to stop reporting about hyped WEINERS and report about REAL NEWS....Get over it already

June 2, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
  180. Julie Piwaron

This is a storm in a tea cup.

June 2, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
  181. J.

Jack,

Whether Mr. Weiner did or didn't isn't the point here.

When are folks and this especially include politician and celebrities. Going to realize that what you say or do (or don't do) online WILL become public knowledge!

Can ya'll say STUPID? Though ya could!

June 2, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
  182. Robfrom MO

Are you kidding? What scandal? He is the victim of a cruel prank.

June 2, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
  183. Geez

If the Jockeys dont fit, you must acquit

June 2, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
  184. Stan, Canada

Hey Jack, do you know the difference between CNN and TMZ lately? No, me neither...

June 2, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
  185. Kelly Deeley

What a great advocate Weiner is. It's nice to know her wears crisp white boxers! I'm sure this is a personal picture that was hacked.

June 2, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
  186. panamajill

Doesn't it occur to anyone that perhaps Anthony Weiner is protecting someone who thought it would be funny to post this on his website? I mean somebody he knows...like a son, cousin, good (?) friend...or perhaps he left his phone on his desk and one of his colleagues thought it would be a good joke? There are so many possible scenarios that it isn't worth sullying his excellent reputation about such a trivial thing. Media – back off !!! It's beneath you.

June 2, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
  187. MC

First of all, it is ridiculous that this "scandal" has a name. Secondly, when the name is mentioned, it is immediately apparent why the scandal exists in the first place. Weinergate will go down as another lapse in journalistic credibility. And Weiner's biggest transgression over this non-issue will be that he wanted us all to consider the possibility that his anthony was that much of a weiner.

June 2, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
  188. Kevin in CA

Good grief, don't we have anything better to talk about than this or Sarah Palin (TM) ??

June 2, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
  189. Mark..........Scranton,pa

Come on man, I know a guilty face when I see one. The cat got his tongue during questioning. This guy has a screw loose it doesn't take a shrink to see that. How many times a year does a politician do something sexually explicit these days? I honestly can say the only politician I trust currently is Obama. And I votd for McCain!

June 2, 2011 at 6:58 pm |