May 26th, 2011

As Memorial Day approaches, how do you feel about your country?

ALT TEXT

An Army colonel places a flag at the foot of a military member's gravestone in Arlington National Cemetery. Placing of flags is part of the traditions celebrated for the Memorial Day national holiday. (PHOTO CREDIT: PAUL J. RICHARDS/AFP/GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

As the Memorial Day weekend approaches, I got to wondering what those who gave their life for this country would think if they could see us now.

We don't remember those folks like we probably should. There will be parades here and there… but many of us will head for the malls, the beaches, and the barbecues. Little more than a passing thought will be given to the men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice so we can continue to do those things.

As we head into another summer, the nation is broke and fighting three wars.

The federal government is broken, maybe beyond repair.

We passed the debt ceiling and nothing has been done. When we approach default in August, will anything be done then?

Another election campaign is starting. More empty promises and mud slinging designed to suck us in one more time to the belief that this time, somehow, it's going to be better.

It isn't and it probably won't be, but when you look around, it's still the last, best chance on earth.

At least for awhile longer.

Here’s my question to you: As the Memorial Day weekend approaches, how do you feel about your country?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Karl in Flint, Michigan:
I remember growing up in a small town near here and we had a Memorial Day parade every year. There was a marching band, which I did in high school, and VFW and American Legion groups. There were Blue Star Mothers and sheriff deputies on horseback. We started at the train station on one end of town and marched to the cemetery at the other end with packed crowds all the way. There we remembered our fallen. Now there isn’t money for that and the meaning of Memorial Day is lost.

David:
It's like my house has been burgled by bankers, the cops won't respond and the insurance company says that nothing is covered.

Valerie in Raleigh, North Carolina:

S.P. in Kansas City, Missouri:
I look at America as I would look at a relative in a hospital bed, suffering from what is probably a terminal disease. The illness is disturbing, the doctors appear to be incompetent, yet the relative keeps chugging along. I am pessimistic, and don't hold out a lot of hope; but this is a relative I know and love. As long as he is breathing, he has my love and support.

Richard in Malvern, Pennsylvania:
Memorial Day has become the 'come over to my place for a bar b q and lets get drunk' day. How sad is that! This is a great country, made so by those that have defended it. The politicians have done their best to suck the American spirit out of all of us. They are the problem. I am proud to be an American, I salute the flag, and served this country in the military. My only desire is that America take care of Americans first and then worry about others. Doing that will instill pride in all of us, once more.

Tom in DeSoto, Texas:
Bin Laden’s dead and Palin won't be president. Yea, I feel good.

Filed under: United States
  1. Terrence Cain

I feel optimistic about my country, Jack. We've done a lot of good things with our new President, but we've still got a heck of a long way to go to get where we should be. I think on Memorial Day I will sit back and reflect on all the good things and do all I can to make new things happen. Not that there is much I can do, I am just one man, and I am not on top of the totem pole either, but I can still try. That's all anyone can do.

Terrence Cain
    Big Spring, TX.

May 26, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  2. Jane (Minnesota)

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, I just wish our leaders and the powerful would not put profits before people so much.

May 26, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  3. Loren, Chicago

I have muddy feelings. I know that this country has the best form of government possible and continues to have the highest potential for helping the world. But I also see a pervasive entitlement mentality from the poorest to the richest, a level of selfishness that is at odds with the benefits that we've received. I hold hope that the sacrifices that continue to be made in the name of our country will be recongized and emulated not just by generations to come, but the generations that live here now. We are a great country, but are in danger of losing that to the idiotic class warfare that poltical parties in this country seem to relish fomenting.

May 26, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
  4. Jayne

Disappointed. After decades of "trickle down" economics and a general overlooking or enabling of misbehavior by the rich and powerful, America is finally teetering on the brink of third world status. People will deny it. People will pretend it isn't so. But, as tent cities flourish and the numbers of homeless and jobless increase, it will be very apparent. And to think we hand out billions in aid to other countries . . .

May 26, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  5. Ed from Texas

I feel like 30% of my fellow citizens have gone insane. They happily accepted tax cuts in the midst of two wars and didn't seem to care that the national debt doubled to $11 trillion. They yawned while Wall Street was deregulated causing a housing bubble which, when it burst, created the deepest recession since the Great Depression costing 10% of Americans their jobs. Barack Obama only took office on January 20, 2009, but they believe that it was somehow all his fault.

May 26, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  6. Willda Ritter, Arvada, CO

Obama is leading us down the wrong track. The country is heading toward bankruptcy and he is allowing illegal immigrants to move here permanently. The Constitution means nothing to him.

May 26, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
  7. Russ in PA

I am disheartened over the direction of the country. Over more than 100 years our elected officials have slowly changed us from a Republic to a Democracy, with the consent of the governed, and look what it has wrought: A country willing to go war at the drop of a politicians hat. A country willing to ignore the rule of law, and imprison people with no right of Habeas Corpus. A country willing to trade it's wealth for votes. A country ruled by mob, as is the norm with democracies.

Ron Paul in 2012...

May 26, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  8. David in Tampa

Jack, on the one hand I feel pride and thankful in being veteran and saying a word of prayer, thanks and remembrance to all that served this nation in wartime and peace. I am grateful for our Constitution, regardless of how much i feel it is in need of updating, our freedoms, and a once upon a time where Mom and apple pie were more than political catch phrases. There is another side to this country that abhor and fear. I fear those individuals that make political correctness, religious dogmatism and philosophical elitism the cause celeb. I have lived long enough to see the kind of economic upheaval that my parents lived through in the 30's. Still, all in all, I love this country with its strengths, faults but, mostly, its people.

May 26, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  9. CRAIG R. MCNEES

tampa, fl i feel sad that illegal aliens walk our streets without fear of being deported, that criminals are released daily due to over crowding, yet victims and law abiding taxpayers can not get protection from this cruel and unusual punishment inflicted on them. i feel sad that so many in office make obscene amounts of money and perks, yet i can't even get a cola as my disability check shrinks daily. i feel sad when such vast amounts of money are being raised by those running for office that i wouldn't even vote for dog catcher. i feel sad no one has reported about the wiki leaks verifying the SPP and north american union being implemented without the citizens voting on giving up their country. our fallen soldiers are rolling over in their graves wondering why they gave their lives, for this?

May 26, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  10. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Some days like December the 7th very proud. Other days when I see the killed, wounded and mamed coming back from Bush's wars and the way that they're teated very ashamed as it reminds me of those of us that were in the military during Viet Nam. I love America but would really like to see us become The United States of America again.

May 26, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  11. John from Alabama

Jack: I believe that the best days are in front of us. The economy and the unemployment percentage is going down. I believe we have the right leadership in the White House, and that compassion for Americans by politicans is getting much better. I realize that many Americans died in the Iraq War that should have never happened, but the fault does not lie with the fallen. It lies with those who persuaded Congress to fund the war. Glory and peace belongs to the fallen, but to those who jumped to conclusions about Iraq which were not correct should be tormented.

May 26, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  12. Michael Bindner, Alexandria, VA

Feeling fine about the country itself, not so sure about how the mortgage crisis (which drives the jobs crisis) is being handled,. At least gas prices are going down and bin Laden is gone, so it was not a bad month.

May 26, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  13. Rick, Medina, OH

Jack,

I'll always be proud to be an American! And despite the really dumb things politicians choose to do or not, I can't imagine calling any other place home! (And, I'm a guy who temporarily lived elsewhere for nearly 3 years.) What we should be thinking about as Memorial Day approaches are the sacrifices made by so many!

Rick,
    Medina, OH

May 26, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  14. Kate

We live in the greatest country in this world. I am grateful to grandparents who gave up so much to come to this country. We are forever indebted to those who gave so much to keep our country free. I salute them all.

May 26, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
  15. Ken from Pinon Hills. California

At eighty two years, I feel like Dorothy telling her dog Toto, 'We're not in Kansas anymore".

May 26, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
  16. Zolicon

I Love My Country,But I Despise what the Leaders of it are doing to it.
    God Bless Newfoundland.

May 26, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  17. bob z fr ,pa.

it's a shame politicians don't love our country like us or they would fix our country instead of killing it

May 26, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  18. Tony from Southport

Hopeful. Hopeful that the American people will come to the realization that the men and women who served our country over the years did so to protect our Republic, and not to have it become a socialist nation like North Korea or Cuba. I sincerely hope that we can elect a president and a congress that are more interested in fixing the problems that we have than in creating phrases for bumper stickers.

May 26, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  19. Barbara Leavitt

I feel we have completely lost our way. We have representatives that do NOT represent the American People but big businesses. They refuse to 'work together' which is what we expect but are not getting. They are pitting party against party rather than fixing anything. I feel like I am watching the beginning of the end of this country that I love.
    Henderson Nevada

May 26, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  20. Bryan, Colorado

I feel good about our country. Its the politicians in congress particularly
    the GOP I feel sorry for. The party of no means no livable wages, no health insurance and medicare, no pensions, no social security,no civil rights, the list goes on. no no no no is so negative. Wake up and smell the coffee you jack wagons.

May 26, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  21. Bizz, Quarryville Pennsylvania

I will tell you exactly how I feel about my country. I feel that the ordinary citizens' lives are being controlled by wealthy and powerful people along with powerful lobbyist and special interest groups. I feel that our country is becoming a two class nation, that will only consist of the rich and the poor because of it. I feel that there is something wrong with our country when my grandson was only a child when we invaded Afghanistan and now he is a Marine who is fighting the same war after 10 years. I think President Bush is the main reason why we find ourselves here. The only way out would be for both parties to start working together without the influence of high paid lobbyist and special interest groups.

May 26, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  22. Adem oakland

Not so good, jack. I'm one of the forgotten millions unemployed.

May 26, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  23. Greg in Arkansas

Sad....that so many Americans have sacrificed so much yet, our country is bitterly divided by petty party politics, trivial issues and angry rhetoric.

US, WE and OUR have been replaced in daily conversation with I, Me and mine.

Profits and greed over shadow National Pride and the idea of doing the right thing simply because it "is the right thing to do".

Every Memorial day, I pray that people will wake up and realize that the "United States" is NOT.......MY country......but OUR country and appreciate what we have before it is lost.

May 26, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  24. Pete from Georgia

With all our faults, warts, and mis-steps, we're still the most generous, decent, God fearing nation ever established on this planet.
    It's just a shame that only a few hundred (politicians in Washington D.C.) out of 310 million have the ability to destroy what is truly logical, decent, and good.

May 26, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  25. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Jack: The world is changing along with the societies--As a Vietnam Veteran-–I will remember those who gave to keep this country free-and those who gave all-and I pray that all that was given will not be in vain.

May 26, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  26. Kim Smith

I love the old gal, but it's time to trade her in on a newer model. Something a little more capable and responsive, leaner, more efficient. The world has changed so much, yet those who control the government have refused to embrace the higher ideals that would make us even greater than we have ever been.

May 26, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  27. John ............................. Marlton NJ

I love my country .... but not very happy with the idiots running it.

May 26, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  28. Steve, Clifton, VA

This memorial Day I will hang my large American flag and decorate the border of my property with multiple small American flags. I will still shed a tear when I hear our National Anthem and I will still feel proud to have served in Viet-Nam. This Love and Pride that I have for my country is so deeply implanted and ingrained in me that I seriously doubt it will ever change except perhaps to grow deeper.

May 26, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
  29. dan

Canada is the greatest country on earth, its just like America without all the fuss.

May 26, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  30. Ralph Spyer

When I was growing up in Chicago in the 1950s ,I felt America was the cowboy in the white hat. In the 1960s I was drafted and sent to Vietnam why 60thousand of our boys died their is something I will never Know. In the 1970 I serve a apprenticeship and joined a union.In the 1980 I married and started a family. In the 1990 I went on vacations and worked hard. In 2000s the my country was in transition jobs were moving out illegal were moving in. By 2010 I new this country is run by the rich,wars are for power and money, The C.I.A kills people and sell drugs. All Americans are in a circle picking each other pockets,do not get out of the loop. I told my son if drafted move to Canada, when I retire my wife and I will move to France or Italy

May 26, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  31. Scott in Bellingham

I trace my family back 340 years to Hutchinson Manor (now Trenton). One grandpap drove 1000 head of cattle, all stolen from loyalist farms, into Valley Forge to help feed Washington's army. There have been 17 generations and the tales go on and on. I am very proud of all of it.

The current spendthrift government will be consumed by its own disregard. I have faith the borrowing will end and America will land back on her feet.

May 26, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  32. Layne Alleman

Jack, Honestly? I feel deeply humbled by those who have given the ultimate sacrifice and both humbled and proud to be walking among those who fought along side of those same men and women. Having said that, I really don't understand what so many of our current group of soldiers are dying for. I view these current "conflicts" as police and policy disputes, and very little else(oil, maybe?). It has to be awfully depressing for them to come "home" and see what we, and our "Government" have turned this country into. Layne A. Antioch, Il.

May 26, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  33. Keith - Twinsburg, Ohio

Apparently a lot different than our President, Jack. The U.S. has many countries in the Middle-East that are anti-U.S., and we have but one ally in the Middle-East. Guess which one our President ticked off??

May 26, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  34. Kathie

Disillusioned. Greed and allegiance to special interests and their money, political affiliation, refusal to compromise/negotiate and planning for the next election seem to take priority over representing the people. Our elected officials to not even read or hear about our concerns and, if lucky, we only get a form letter back that may and usually not does not represent the issue related.

May 26, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
  35. andyz Lynn, MA

Sure, we have problems but ours is still the greatest country on earth.

May 26, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
  36. Jim in Gardendale, Alabama

Jack, I'm as patriotic as anyone and I'm very appreciative to those young men and women for the sacrifices that they've made in these wars. However, having said that, I think the term "patriotism" is being used by our politicians and military industrial complex in this country to "con kids" into believing that fighting these wars is patriotic. The argument could be made that no war has been justified since WWII when our country was attacked and congress declared war. These wars, IMO, are unjustified and are breaking this country morally and economically just as these terrorists intended and we're going to the slaughter as a bunch of stupid lambs and so are our men and women. I'm beginning to believe this country will always be at war now because it's such good business for many.

May 26, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  37. Rich McKinney, Texas

This is no longer our country Jack it belongs to all the creditors that hold our national debt. They will shape our future not us. We are just along for the ride and my guess is that it is going to be a very long and bumpy one. I am brushing up on my Mandarin though.

May 26, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  38. Tina Tx

I am still grateful that I live in the good old USA even though we the people have just about yanked the rug out from underneath her & made her a third world country. We still have things to be grateful for. Good friends, a good newscaster that allows us to vent and a president who is trying to bring us up to where the last one left us. It will take time but never, ever give up the fight to remain a great nation. Happy Memorial Day!!

May 26, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  39. Bit

Well Jack-

We are still the best country in the world with all its faults. Hats off to those who protected our country and to those who are currently protecting our country. Since the world didn't come to end on May 21st, we can live to see another day -good or bad; at least until October 21, 2011, according to Harold Camping.

Bit
    Prattville, ALabama

May 26, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  40. Bill in New Mexico

I have had many relatives in all the wars except for these Moslem Wars. I had ancestors on both sides of the Civil War.

I feel obliged to show respect to them. I feel guilty for not having respect for my Country.

But, I have feelings of great frustration for my country.

Today, I just got back from setting flowers on over a dozen graves. But none of them were kin to me. They were my wife's kin.

My wife keeps me out of trouble. She says that I have got to stop having such negative feelings against my country.

She's right. I have got to think positively.

May 26, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  41. Bob in Kansas City

How do I feel?, setting here retired and watching it go to hell in a hand basket with all the name calling and legislation that is passed to benefit whomever writes the biggest check, Washington will eventually crash & burn, hope I live long enough to see it.

May 26, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  42. Matt from Santa Monica

I feel better about it than you, Jack. Jee-zus, man. What a downer. Someone better keep you away from the bridges this weekend!

May 26, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  43. Richard C.

Malvern, PA.

May 26, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  44. JENNA ROSEVILLE CA

As the Memorial Day weekend approaches, how do you feel about your country?

I am greatful to our brave troops and vets. I am embarassed by the Republicans and TEATARDS who claim they love our nation while doing everything in its power to make it fail. And I am proud of the Democrats who are trying to clean up the mess that the GOP has once again left our nation in.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

May 26, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  45. David

It's like like my house has been burgled by bankers, the cops won't respond and the insurance company says that nothing is covered.

May 26, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  46. Dave

I am concerned is an understatement. We need to eliminate the IRS, DEA, and a majority of our elected leaders. These people are toying around with the security of our nation, our currency and our freedom. How can we claim to support freedom when we can not even smoke a joint without being a criminal? It is amazing to me that the president gets away with joking about our nations failed (arguably non existent) drug policy. He wouldn't joke around about abortion rights, gay rights, and countless other basic human rights issues. Thats what prohibition is, a supression of our basic human right to choose. A wise man once said, "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard." I think that President Obama needs to stand up for our rights before worrying about the middle east.

May 26, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  47. Alex in Bremerton, WA

Our soldiers are still dying and being maimed while civilians don't give a damn!!!

Alex the Veteran

May 26, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  48. Valerie in Raleigh

The speech given in England by President Obama summed up my feelings for this country. He said that we are a good and decent people who always try to do the right thing. That is a perfect definition of America. Thank you Mr. President.

May 26, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  49. Annie, Atlanta

The depravity of the Republican Party has become an embarrassment to me, personally.

May 26, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  50. Rich McKinney, Texas

Jack those soldiers killed in war will never be forgotten. We owe them at least that much. They had no choice in the decisions that our past and current politicians made to bring us to where we are today on the brink of bankruptcy. What i find unbelievable is that we keep electing people to lead our country and that we put our faith and trust in them time and time again and all they do is fail and disappoint us. Are there no real leaders in America anymore?

May 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  51. DON IN WESTPORT, MASS.

I'm proud of the men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice because I know they did that for us. Ask a high shool graduate today what he knows about past wars and the sacrifices made in the past.
    They have no idea and that's a shame.
    I fear for the next generations though. Do we really care about the next generation enough? Maybe thats the problem. We have become a nation of short sighted people.

May 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  52. Randy

I suggest you show the video of netanyahu marching congressional leadership to the podium to publicly kiss his ring and ask the question again.

May 26, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  53. Jason R.

I once was a flag waving patriot. I voted since I was legally allowed to vote at age 18. I served in the US Navy and National Guard after that. I've donated to political events and causes. I've argued with those who bashed America. I've volunteered in efforts of community to pick up litter, etc.

No more. I'd relocate out of the USA if I could afford to. The USA, led by incompetent status & power seeking local, state, and federal governments, has become a world class idiot that does nothing more than steal our money to fund their public pensions and the missles that they love to shoot.

May 26, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  54. Jack - Lancaster, Ohio

Honestly, I think more of our fighting force members than I do of our "representatives". Sadly, some of our Senators who were military heroes have me worried and disturbed. It must be the water in Washington? I think of some old lyrics...."My country tis of thee....who the hell are "thees" guys ?

May 26, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
  55. Matt from Munster, IN

I can't say that I'm optimistic about the future. Congress refuses to tackle the issue of our growing national debt, which is viewed by our secretary of defense as the greatest threat to our national security. I fear that this country will lose its position in this world as the greatest world power in history. But despite all this, I think we should view Memorial Day as a time to honor our military and veterans. I may not be proud of my government, but I could never be prouder of the men and women who serve us everyday.

May 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  56. Chris, Bx., NY

It's the best in the entire world.

May 26, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
  57. pat in michigan

I love my country . It is the politicians and special interest media that i Hate .They are destroying this nation and robbing the grainery while they are at it.

May 26, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  58. Frank from Connellsville, PA

I'm proud of my country – of the hard working men and women who head out to work each day teaching, building, fighting fires, patroling the streets, and putting themselves in harms' way to defend freedom. They create strong communities, raise families, and help neighbors in need.

As for the bumbling idots that "work" inside the DC beltway – well have family has that one embarassment. Get our public officials out of their own way and it would be a wonderful country.

May 26, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
  59. Mary S

Our soldiers fight for freedom, safety and the ability to prosper and our country has lost its way! We need to get back to law and order! We have given and given until we are deeply in debt and borrowing to stay afloat. This has to stop, and do what is right for our country's legal immigrants and citizens first so we can get our country fiscally fit and prospering again! Then we can do more to help others and welcome new citizens. I know our country can be great again! Teaching people to grow and help themselves is also a past fundamental that needs to be brought back!

Our country will fail if we don't get back to the fundamentals instead of distribution of wealth that punishes success!!

Yorktown VA

May 26, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  60. Gigi Oregon

Sad...Maybe if the media started a wave of positive thinking Government would want to clean up their act. It is sad what the WWII veterans and their families have had to witness after the sacrifices they made and gave to their children. They built the United States into a good life and living only to see the government quarreling with such hatred against each other and tearing down what was so loving at one time built.

May 26, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
  61. Carl

Jack,

Sad to say, but, hopeless.

May 26, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
  62. Mark in Houston

On Memorial day I will think again of my 32 classmates who died in that senseless war in Vietnam and the thousands who have died
    in Iraq for no reason.

I love my country but would not hesitate to spit in the faces of the lying
    political slime who's personal and political agendas were put on a higher level of importance than the death of so many.

At the end of the day I will pray that this country has enough sense to never allow their kind in office again.

May 26, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  63. dave in nashville

Every day is Memorial Day to me, those men and women died for all people, not just their country.

May 26, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  64. Martin

I love America and look forward to living here for a while and seeing the country it is a wonderful place but cannot support it in foreign politics

May 26, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  65. Gary H. Boyd

Having served 10 years in the U.S.Military, I'd like to offer my feelings by starting at the top. That would be the guy in the Oval Office, otherwise known as the "Commander in Chief". If he were in that job when I was serving I would have not stayed as long as I did.
    He talks a good game but hasn't served a day in his life. He's strictly a politician and the politicians in America today don't make me feel good about my country. Sad, but true.

Gary in Scottsdale, Arizona

May 26, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  66. Conor in Chicago

What do I think about our country? I think people like you, who almost never have anything posititve to contribute to the dialog, who complains and borderline distorts every issue to engineer dialog on your forum so as to keep your job, should thank the vets more than any of us because you benefit from their sacrifice more than any of us. That's what I think.

May 26, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  67. randy

what country? the united states of america doesn't exsist anymore. this country is run by crooked politicians and rich corporation who bleeds the american working class dry. we have no country, china has the lien on it and soon they will foreclose, its ironic that this country is being destroyed with out even firing a shot, china bought and paid for this country so i suspect soon the red white and blue will change its colors to relate to the chinese flag.

May 26, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  68. Linda in Arizona

Sick and outraged, but I will not elaborate except to say it has nothing to do with the debt ceiling.

May 26, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  69. Olga O. Pina

I feel really blessed to live in the United States of America.

Memorial Day is here for us to remember the fallen. Those who participated in past wars regardless of race, wealth, sexual orientation, but reported for duty as 'Americans'.

I feel grateful to a nation of heroes that include those unidentified still in foreign countries as MIAs. I am grateful for those who went to war after 9/11.

I am especially grateful that a President, focused and courageous did what he had to do, knowing that the finding, killing and burying Bin Laden, the murderer, could have gone dramatically wrong.

Those Seals who risked their lives to exact justice for the thousands of lives that we will mourn for the rest of our lives, deserve our eternal gratitude. We need to salute the resolve these Seals displayed and who risked everything for a just cause.

Isn't that what Memorial Day is all about?

Olga
    Austin, Texas

May 26, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  70. Karl in Flint

I remember growing up in a small town near here and we had a Memorial Day parade every year. There was a band marching, which I did in high school, and VFW and American Legion groups. There were Blue Star Mothers and sheriff deputies on horseback. We started at the train station on one end of town and marched to the cemetery at the other end with packed crowds all the way. There we remembered our fallen. Now there isn’t money for that and the meaning of Memorial Day is lost. I still go to the cemeteries to remember my family members and those who fought and died to keep too many free to not remember them.

May 26, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
  71. KCLaw

I am pessimistic, and don't hold out a lot of hope; but this is a relative I know and love. As long as he is breathing, he has my love and support. I remember all he has done for me in the past. He welcomed me into his home with open arms, and other relatives and friends have shed blood protecting him from his enemies.

God bless America, and those who have died keeping her safe.

KCLaw-A sappy patriot in Kansas City

May 26, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
  72. Remo, from beautiful downtown Pflugerville Texas

I feel that it's broken. It's adrift and it's not the country many of my uncles fought for. I had one Uncle with the Mighty 8th shot down twice in B-17's over Hitlers Germany. Another Uncle came ashore at D-Day plus one at Normandy, and yet another who was one of the first to occupy Japan. My father was in the Korean conflict. Sadly I sometime think that they would be very angry that our government is adrift rife with politicians who are looking out for their own interests and our Constitution is being twisted and our basic rights erroded by the White House. I feel sorrow for our troops in harms way now and Iknow how war changes a person and their family. I see the younger generation clueless to those things and am amazed that they do not see how our rights and dreams are being taken.

May 26, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
  73. Brighid

Fifteen years ago, I had a friend in Spain tell me that his house was older than my country and that the US wouldn't last for more than another 50 years. Now, I wonder how right he was.

May 26, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  74. regan

last vestige,...i dont think so , obama ..who could fix a country in trouble in one 2 or 3 terms like the usa....media stars are rated higher than docs or scientists greed is better for ceos than jobs from their origin...??? cnn love it reg in canada

May 26, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  75. Melissa

The federal deficit and the bickering politicians do not define this country. The brave and unwavering men and women who protect us and our freedoms do define us. That makes us the greatest nation to ever exist!

Melissa
    Mechanicsville, VA

May 26, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  76. Shane Bianchini

I'm heartbroken by the state of the Union as Memorial Day approaches. I graduate from high school this Saturday and instead of having fun and celebrating I'm worrying whether my mother who has fibro mialga will still have her Medicare by the time this budget deal is settled... and whether or not I'll be able to get financial aid for school because apparently tax cuts for the rich are more important than these things. If things don't change, I'll try my hardest to transfer to a school in Canada. It's time to wake up from the "American Dream."

May 26, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  77. Joanna

I love this country. I love the freedom, the economic vitality, and even the lively political debates. The disappointment is the lack of moral clarity on the part of our leaders – both political and economic. There are many things that keep America great, not the least of which is a free press. I encourage all the excellent journalists to continue to go beyond the sound bite and report the truth.

May 26, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  78. Charley

I am self employed in real estate, need I say more?

May 26, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  79. Nicholas

Being only 12 years old, I feel our country is going to hell, we are in 3 wars, the worst economic state since the 1930's and The Great Depression, and I hope we can become a better country in time. I hope President Obama can make this country a better place in the las year he has as president. Middletown, Delaware

May 26, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  80. Susan Frost

All you have to do is travel abroad to know how great this country is! Things are a mess Jack however I am still proud to be American and the spirit of the people who live in this country who ban together in a time of crisis I am sure agree.
    Sue Frost- Cleveland, Ohio

May 26, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  81. Marsh

I am a proud US Army Officer. While I have concerns regarding the political mudslinging, I still stand tall and salute my flag during the National Anthem. I look around at those protesting and am happy that they have that freedom. We are an amazing country, but it is time the citizens begin to bear some responsibility. "GOD BLESS THE USA"

May 26, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  82. Robert Weaver

Regardless of our problems, this IS the best country in the world. Watching the news provides me with no alternatives, no place that would be a better place to live. If we could just get our congress people to actually do something, that would just make it better. Of course, we have to be concerned that when they do actually do something it generally only benefits them or the rich, kinda like a rock and a hard place...

May 26, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  83. Dave Indiana

Jack,
    As you well know, if it wasn't for the GOP in this country, I'd feel pretty good about our country.
    The GOP pretty much squashed any chance of anyone feeling good about this country, in any way!

May 26, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  84. Bill Ojai, CA

I am afraid we have already lost our country, but our heads are so deep in the sand that we haven't realized it yet. Apparently, we no longer have any leaders, just politicians. All they seem to be interested in is staying at the trough for another term-and doing whatever their corporate sugar daddys want them to do. I am ashamed of what our Congress has become-and they should be too!

May 26, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  85. Carol, Washington

I feel fine about the country itself but not about the politicians who say they're country's "leaders". They're self-centered and put themselves, their egos, and their political parties ahead of the needs of the country. Until we the people can rein in those so-called leaders, the country conceivably could be in jeopardy.

May 26, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  86. Chuck Fehl

Jack,

I can sum up my feelings about my country in one word...."WORRIED"

May 26, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  87. Jason

In all Honesty Jack I don't believe the question is exactly appropriate or atleast should be revised. In a government laden with inacurate statistics and innacurately represented data what we truly need to be asking is What does our government think of us? What do they think of the numerous citizens living on the streets as we hand out billions in aid and financial support to countries that despise our way of life? See where i'm going here Jack ... What does the government think of us .. it's own citizens .. It's own people.

May 26, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  88. Karen

Jack,

I am 65 years old and I have never been more afraid for our country. The wars, the lack of integrity in politicians, the bleak future for our young, the Spanish language being shoved down our throats, the illegal immigrants, the government doing nothing about it because they want their votes, the economy, the wild government spending, the fact that people are so easily swayed by smooth talkers in government and on and on. American needs to wake up and voters need to take responsibility for whom they vote for.

May 26, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  89. George in PA

Memorial Day is a time for reflection. I am 64 years old and the country has changed so much in my lifetime. My biggest concern is what will the "American experience" be for my three, young grandchildren.

May 26, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  90. Joyce Vaughn

I love this country.I am saddened by the recession that has left me jobless for over a year. I have a MBA and a single parent who try to live by example to my two great boys. How do I with no means of support?

May 26, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  91. Ronald Lewis

With all our faults and blemishes, it is still the dream of most people to live in our country. We have a way of life unlike any other. When we learn not to vote for the "R" or "D" beside the name, but to listen and watch what is said and done and hold our elected officials responsible TO the people, we will be on our way to fixing our problem. When our politicians learn to quit playing politics and work together to bring our country together and solve problems, we will have arrived.

May 26, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  92. Marie

As not only an American, but an African American, this Memorial Day I will take time to reflect on this country's state. I believe that this country has a long way to go economically, racially, politically, and environmentally. But rather than dwell on the things that are not so good, I'll be taking some time to think of how things have gotten better. And that change doesn't happen overnight. It took years for our country to be in this state, and will take years to get out. I commend President Obama for taking on the challenge and working for our country. I love visiting other countries. Respect their culture and lifestyles, but I'll tell you what, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else but this country. Let's count our blessing and thank God for those who died for our right to say "this country sucks" when really, it doesn't and, but at LEAST you have the right to express that.

May 26, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  93. brenda

i have traveled to many countries and i have not found one better than ours.is our country perfect?hell no but it is the best this world has to offer.

May 26, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  94. Kate Snyder

Jack, I've watched you for years and don't think my answer will get on the air but here it goes. I feel my nation is ripe for divine judgment. My father fought in WWII and he'd be disgusted to see where we're at today if he were still around. We need national repentance and we need it now.

May 26, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  95. Louis

It pains me to see what's becoming of my country. With things like the patriot act making Americans feel like Washington is always watching them over their shoulder, and large corporations and wealthy politicians running a government of themselves, by themselves, for themselves, it seems as though America, or more specifically the American government, has all but forgotten the freedoms and principles that our soldiers die every day to protect.

Maybe it's time for Washington to stop viewing Memorial Day as a paid holiday, and spend more time thinking on its meaning.

-Louis, Melbourne, FL

May 26, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  96. Alan in Nashville, Tennessee

Jack, our country's priorities are about every other place but home. We owe money to everyone, our military is disjointed, and our leadership is clouded. I just wish for a sense of peace with everyone.

May 26, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  97. Dan

I am disgusted, Jack.
    We in no way honor our fallen soldiers by waging illegal wars, blatantly lying to the public about about it, and creating a situation that only guarantees that more of our men and women in uniform will die.
    Maybe Monday we can think about how WE as citizens have allowed this to happen with our apathy towards the quagmire in the middle east!

May 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  98. Anna Metzner

I will always honor our Military no matter how hard the times, but long gone are the days when you could drive to the shore and rent a hotel and eat out on the boardwalk on Memorial Day weekend.Just having money to buy some shrimp for the barbie is a no brainer, hotdogs it will have to be..at least we haven't lost those, not as of yet anyway...

May 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  99. Crystal - NJ

Jack – I feel great about my country as should everyone. Regardless of all the propaganda we are still the most powerful country in the world and carry the greatest amount of pride….regardless of how we are viewed. Others view Americans as lazy and ungrateful…..to some extent we are. However, no other country in the world has sacrificed the lives we have. We have a great president, who is trying his hardest, while constantly having to prove himself. If you went to work daily and were constantly criticized would you have the focus of this man? I doubt it. Let his intelligence and instincts get the job done... then people will see the importance in education.

May 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  100. S Claasen

Dear Mr. Cafferty,

I have been thinking about this country every time I tune in to CNN. Ever since I first began listening to the station, I have been thinking about how I can explain my thoughts.

I have come up with this mantra: God blesses America, but the devil "blesses" its politics.

May 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  101. Michael, Memphis, TN

What our nation has accomplish is unique having secured a basically safe, economically thriving society that respects the differences among its people. We have a wonderful document called The Constitution which has flexed with the challenges of our nation and a people who have the attitude to do what is necessary to keep the nation's collective personality in tact. It makes me proud to display the flag. With that said. We have our problems many of which make me want to buy an old missle silo and close the door. I just hope and pray our strengths can see us through our challenges.

May 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  102. Bob Florida

Jack, I am an optimist by nature, but.......... now I must admit to pessimism when it comes to the way the US is going. My worries is that BIg Buiness has become too much of a controlling factor on our law makers. They seem to have their foot in every door with money of unbelievable amounts and this is pulling democracy into a hole that will be hard to climb out of. We need less influence from people who are investings fortunes in having their way. Even wars are sponsored today by private concerns.

May 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  103. Brad

I retired from the Marine Corps after a 21 year career. I made a lot of good friends, including a few who gave the last full measure of devotion to their nation. Many of them are still in harm's way. They're out there doing what Marines do for a simple reason: love of this great nation. America has it's share of problems, sure. It's still the greatest nation on Earth. For as long as there are nations who sponsor terrorism, or oppress their people, or kill in the name of religion, the world will need America's hope for freedom and democracy.

Semper Fidelis, and God bless America

May 26, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  104. Margot

My family in Joplin tells me that so many people have shown up to help and volunteer that they actually are turning them away and sending them back to their homes. Here is the reality–yes, our government is broken; yes, politics is mean spirited and very ugly. But in Joplin, Tuscaloosa, Oklahoma–the American spirit is alive and well. What we Americans always do is figure out a way to keep our communities strong. What we have learned is that isn't a politician....or a media person, who can make that happen. It is never about your questions or your cynicism Jack. It's about those people making sandwiches for rescue teams, pawing through rubble to help a community recover. That's my America and it makes me proud every day to watch those people in action. They count–Washington just doesn't anymore. And, they made all of us stand a bit taller this past week. Quit watching the gasbags in DC and spend some time with the real heroes. It will restore your faith in this country. Margot , from the "other" Washington

May 26, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  105. JEFF

May 26, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  106. mike from philadelpia

my fatner was a ww11 vet and like most of his generation didn't even go to high school because of the great depression yet shortly before he died in 2005 said america has to go broke. how is it that he could see it coming but all these ivy league hot shots couldn't? anyway i think the counrry sucks and if your wondering what to get your kids for christmas this year how about chinese roseta stone?

May 26, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  107. Ray Florida

Pride in my country but embarrasement in my government. The great generation of WWll and the depression made sacrifices that today would be met with self serving revolt and indignation by both it's ruling party and it's citizens.Maybe we need another world war to remind us how a great country acts.

May 26, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  108. George

I love my country and give thanks to all who have made it what it is However I loath and detest the unbridled greed that has corrupted congress,turned a two party system into the corporate party of one and polluted the beltway,the past three decades have been a slippery slope to BROKE. The symptoms of greed and deregulation are unfair trade and enslavement to fossil fuel and domestic neglect beyond belief. I really care about this country but have little to no faith in those in charge of running it,if our electable choices become any bleaker I fear we are doomed.
    George
    Chester,Ct.

May 26, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  109. Ken in NC

While I do not always agree with the actions taken by our leaders, I am proud to be an American and twice as proud of our military for the job they do protecting us. I also give honor, not just on Memorial Day, but on every day to those that gave their all to insure that we all, including the members of Westboro church, remain safe and free.

May 26, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  110. Brittney

As we approach Memorial Day, I have and always will remember our men and women who served the ultimate sacrafice. It does not take a holiday for me to understand and realize the freedom we have is because of our men and women in the military. Yes, our country is going throuh some rough times, but we are "one nation under god". We will eventually get through this rough time and stand as one.

God bless our military and our country.

May 26, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  111. Dominique, Cincinnati

Jack,
    Jack,
    I am 20 years old, have student loans, and the job market does not seem to be getting better for students right out of college. However, I am still extremely proud to live in this country. Every day I go through my day with a sense that this is the back end of the storm. The Bush days are over, and Obama is beginning to get a grip on where this country needs to go, in terms of fiscal policy, the economy, and the three wars we're currently fighting (just to name a few). It is not over. It is a part of the American experience to endure a period when you have to grind it out, day by day. This country was built for this; just as Washington was built to cross the icy Delaware River, just as we were built to emerge the Victor of WWII, and just as we built this country back after the Great Depression. America will not fail. This is the pride I feel in my country, and that i apply to my everyday life.

May 26, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  112. Jim Beauchemin, Altamont NY

I'm paying $4 per gallon of gas. I'm afraid to fly, take a train or drive over a bridge. They're threatening to take my social security away, after I paid into it for 35 years. I get practically no interest on my savings, any more. I've lost track of how many wars we are in. Half the country thinks Sarah Palin is somehow the answer to this. There are no words, Jack.

May 26, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  113. Will Morrison

I think that if the men that gave their lives for this country could see the Obama government that we have today,.. they would think that their lives were wasted ,...it hasn't been this bad since the Carter administration.

May 26, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  114. Dante Sirelli

Jack, to be honest, I am scared to death. It seems as though our country (and the world) is diving deeper into the abyss. Big business, our politicians, and the top 20% are getting richer everyday, while the common man is getting poorer. I don't understand why this is happening, or how the people who are suppose to be looking out for us are allowing it to happen. I do not like what our world is turning into, this is not the America I dreamed of as a child.

May 26, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  115. Jan, St. Louis, MO

My country is my family.
    I love it because it is my country.
    Is it perfect? No.
    Does is have serious problems that need solutions? Yes!
    Do I sometimes feel frustrated that people don't think the way I do or make the choices I prefer? Of course.
    All relationships require communication to survive, and our country has survived because we do discuss, argue, disagree, posture, compromise, and keep trying.
    I will never give up on it. It belongs to me, just as I belong to it.
    Our history binds us together.

May 26, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  116. Dave M

Jack it really sad to think about the way this country has gone down the tubes in the last 10 or 15 yrs the greed and coruption in our goverment and big coorperations has done us in and we just follow along like good little people of a failing country maybe we should have an american spring and wake our looser goverment up and make them do their job or go to prison. We the People For the people my ass. Call me fed up thats how I feel. Lets just elect them nomatter how they fight and argue over stupid no meaningful things while our boys die on their orders over there and anywhere they are told to go.

May 26, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  117. Joe A.

It breaks my heart to see this country wither away. I am only 22 years old and I can see that in my lifetime America has deteriorated quite a bit. I can only hope we can survive the aftermath of the recession, all this global conflict, tainted government, and the seemingly ongoing natural disasters around the world. I thank the veterans of this country...here and gone. If it weren't for them I wouldn't have the option to express this opinion......but I personally believe their work is slowly being undone.

May 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  118. Edmund from Los Angeles

I feel that our country his hit huge hurdles lately, clearing some (as in the case of Osama bin Laden) and struggling over others (as in dealing with our debt).

But our country has faced down huge problems before, from Hitler to an actual Great Depression. I have good faith in the President's sincere efforts to bridge the gaps between partisanship divides that tie our hands behind our backs.

And as we have before, I believe we will clear the current obstacles we now face, even if we will have to look toward a harrowing and unclear path to such a future.

All I know for sure is that I will be thinking of Navy Seal Team 6, and the rest of our brave armed forces, very fondly this weekend as I enjoy the freedom they provide.

May 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  119. Gerard

I still believe that the U.S. A. is the only place on earth I'd want to live in. Mankind as a whole makes choices that goes against our basic human instincts. Our founding fathers had a vision for our country, however, they could not have imagined the world we are living in today. And neither do most of us. We are doing everything we can to bring back the prosperity this country has experienced during it's existence. The only way we have to move forward is to work with the way things are and not the way we want them to be. And that includes working with a dysfunctional government.

Gerard
    Reno, NV

May 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  120. JEFF

How should I feel about a government that's okay with only collecting federal taxes from 49% of Americans, giving non-taxpayers a majority vote in this country. A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves. jeff, hobart, in.

May 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  121. Steven

In a word, disappointed. The politicians have turned our democracy into a shell game. Rewarding the House, not the Players.
    Enough slight of hand, more kung fu grip.

May 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  122. Charlie C

Jack, I am a disabled unemployed vet. I will always have respect for our fallen service members not just military, but of police and fire as well. I have to say I am proud I served for 5 years.Tthe state of affairs of our great country have fallen way short of previous generations. How is it so many people have been forgotten about by the bureaucrats. For the people by the people has turned into the haves and have nots. I am disappointed by how many people including myself have lost their homes, jobs and way of life. I will always be a patriot, but Mr. Obama what now? Wheres the bailout for the common man or vets.

May 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  123. margaret wagemaker

Lucky, that's how I feel every day, Lucky. If there is an American who does not feel the same, that person ought to look around. This is not a perfect nation filled with perfect people, but it's the single best the world has to offer. Any American, even the poor and down trodden, who disagree are free to search for a better place. I grew up in the poorest family in a very poor neighborhood and that alone taught me everything I needed to know about American. My education was the same as our fellow Bostonians, my opportunities were the same, and I was free to have ideas and to make my own opportunities. I am 78 years old and I thank God every day for the life I've had in this country, and the life
    I'll continue to have. (We're long livers in my family ) .

May 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  124. Louis

May 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  125. Dan Epperson

I am a boomer, so I have seen quite a bit. I feel like this country is like a sports team with every player on the team just wants to be the star and the heck with the rest of the team. Even the players on the bench, the coach and the fans just sit there wondering why we cannot win.

May 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  126. KON

I would feel positive if we could do two things: 1) remove the profit motive from governance, returning to altruism as the basis of public service, and 2) destroy the distraction devices . . . can you imagine the consitutional convention conducted amidst tweets, facebook and youtube?

May 26, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  127. mary michailidis

My husband traveled the world before he came to the US. No, he is not a Spanish immigrant, he is Greek and came here in the early 70's. America has it's problems, as do other countries, but this country is still the best. He believes this and so do I as well as all of the others trying to enter the US, one way or the other.

May 26, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  128. Cat

I love my country. And I have faith in my country and the President. Sure we have problems and I do believe they will be fixed. But Congress and everyone needs to work together. Stop the anger and start to work with one another so we can make our country as best as it can be. But we need to support the President not go against him when times are tough. And all Americans need to reallize we are a great Country and support one another and our troops for giving us our great freedom. Our troops are great.

Cat
    Arizona

May 26, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  129. Lynn

Push away all the crap and the hate speech. Oh, there it is! My country, and I love it!!!
    Lynn,
    Carlsbad, CA

May 26, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
  130. Mike

The Founding Fathers never envisioned the role money could play in their democratic concept. The Lobbysts and the political contributors are now running the country. In addition, the salary and benefits that Congress has appropriated for themselves attracts those who are in it for what they can get, not what the country needs.. It is no longer about what's best for the people, it is about how to be re-elected. As long as that is the guiding principle of our Legislators and Politicians, I have very little hope for our future.

May 26, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
  131. Wayne

It is a sad truth but as we print worthless money and other countries buy our bonds and dump millions of U.S. dollars into buying industries and enhance our dependancy on them we are running a risky chance that the US dollar will no longer be the worlds currency. We will essentially be working for other countries, our dollars will be worthless, inflation will soar, and we will sit idly by, not growing our own food, buying our own clothes, automobiles, commodies, and the list goes on. It will be chaos. Scared people wiil do whatever it takes. We will be a country divided. It's simply incomprehensible why we are doing nothing. What do I think about our country? I think we are a lost nation, hope is waning with leaders that are not leading.

May 26, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  132. Mack

My country has abandoned its philosophy. It is going in a direction that is of self-destruction and needs a gutting to the likings of the American revolution. The people, set in place by the Bill of Rights, to be the checks and balance system have been bought off and no longer are concerned for their country. We have been sold out in so many ways, it seems impossible to recover. This nation is falling at a rate, that soon, we may be the next third world country. It is time we take back what has always been ours, "We the People" are the benefactors of what our fore-fathers desired, but instead our government has highjacked their desires and manipulated them for the benefit of the richest of the rich. This is the direct responsibility of the elected officials to assure our national independence remains, instead they are taking our rights and liberty away at a staggering rate. They are fighting wars that seem to be in the name of what they are constantly taking from their own citizens. This country is dying.

May 26, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  133. David Nova Scotia

National Debt as we speak ..... $14.283 Trillion at this rate by 2015 it will be $22.653 Trillion! WSJ reported this week almost 50% of Americans could not raise $2,000 in 30 days if asked to do so. America has taken the task of the world's police officers, America's soldiers are not fighting Wars as overpaid and under worked politicians claim they are policing countries fully paid for millions of hard working taxpayers while their people line up to complain and ask for more. And just who are those taxpayers? For the most part they are those millions of people who will find it hard to pay for good night out this Memorial Day week end or any other for that matter. Just stop and think, if the $Trillions would have been spend on home land security to prepare for these disasters rather than fighting Washington'
    s Wars ... what a blessing this day would be will 10,000 plus lives saved and 100,000 non wounded.

May 26, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  134. Maura from Virginia Beach

This weekend I will be welcoming my son home from Afghanistan. Yep, I am one of the fewer than 1% of Americans who actually have skin in the game. My high school students could not care less about world issues, the energy crisis, or the war. Their families' lives revolve around collecting things, not education. Nothing is asked of most people, especially the wealthy and powerful. This country has turned into a bunch of whiners who complain about paying taxes while they proclaim their support of the military and medicare and public education. It's easy to talk, but where is the real support for these things? Any slight increase in taxes and people go off the deep end all while they blow their money on iphones and giant flat screen tvs. We could have it much better here in the U.S., but only if we pull together and sacrifice to bring it about. It's all about priorities!

May 26, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  135. mike from tennessee

As a veteran during the Vietnam Era, my feelings then and now have remained the same. I love this country. I served Her during the war, and would serve Her now if need be. The possibility of having to give my life for Her was never an issue.
    This country has it's faults. Sometimes ugly, sometimes pitiful, but at the end of the day, She's a good work of art.
    I'll give my respects to the fallen men and women of all the wars come Memorial Day. Just as I do everyday. I will never forget.

May 26, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
  136. Louis

I feel like leaving this once great country, Jack. Between the war on drugs, the war on terror, the war on the middle class, who are we not fighting? All we think about as a nation is who's next? Houston, Tx

May 26, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
  137. Nate T

My country used to mean everything to me – it was the land of opportunity, liberty, freedom of speech, and the most technologically advanced country in the world. When the economic party ended, everybody spent so much time finger pointing, denying, and arguing that nobody thought about how to clean up the mess. The constantly-argued capitalist mindset is starting to be questioned as we spiral downward. It's easy to see that it's not our policies that hurt us: it's our way of thinking. An unsustainable system has left the American citizen hurting in an awful way – unemployed post-grads, exploited middle-class employees, and an aging population having to fight a corporate-controlled government for social security and health benefits. As a child I said the pledge of allegiance every day believing that my words signified something amazingly important – larger than life itself. As an adult, I learned what it was and moved to Europe.

Nate T
    Palma de Mallorca, Spain

May 26, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
  138. Jim Susko

I feel positive about my country. I disapprove, however, with the endless negativism displayed by Republicans. It is scorched earth politics put forth by hypocrites like Newt Gingrich, the man who cheats on his wife while he attempts to impeach a president guilt of the same, then runs for the same office. But this, too, shall pass and our greatness will transcend it all. China will run up against it's environmental sins, our youth will move us forward, we will solve our energy and debt problems and the Arab spring will bear fruit.

May 26, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
  139. Aaron Pfahlert

I am not an older person that remembers the days back when, but grew up being told about them by grandparents. Not just any grandparents, but the kind that had morals. Also, as we studied in history when I was in high school, it seems as if this country has strayed from it's original reason for breaking away from the motherland of England. That original reason for leaving was to be able to pursue Christianity and to worship God in our own way. I ask where has this country now put God. God is no longer allowed in the schools, the government offices, workplaces, and even most side-show churches these days. God is not on anyones mind anymore, except when needing a miracle prayer answered. You can't put God on the back burner and expect to continue to be a prosperous country. Not to mention to expect to miss the wrath of God that is occuring every day in our present time. When I was younger, you hardly heard of natural disasters of such proportion on an every day basis. You might would hear of a natural disaster of great proportion, every 6 to 7 years. This country is now reeping the sins that it lives and breathes every day now. Bring back the original reason for creating this great nation in our every day lives, and realize that reason is honorable in God's eyes.

May 26, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
  140. Jill

With relatives that have fought in every American war from the Revolution to Afghanistan, I am ANGRY at the American government. They don't care about the average American. When I look at the politicians, all I see are slick, good old boys who are disconnected and only care about what big company is giving them money and what affair they are having. The government is fleecing us and giving it to every other nation. People are in need of their tax dollars here at home. They should try living in Joplin, Missouri for a month and get some perspective.

May 26, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
  141. Jack Medley

Jack, I hate our country. I hate the self destructive nature of it. I hate the double talk. I hate the political drama. I hate the rampant greed. I hate the racism, I hate our economy, I hate the way religion is being abused, I hate that no one is doing anything to change it.

May 26, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
  142. John in Phoenix

I don't want to answer your question because it's too depressing for me. But on Memorial Day, I'll go to the nearby National Cemetery and reflect on the sacrifices made by people I've never met who served in the military for this great country.

May 26, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
  143. vince westampton nj

The level of indfference shown by the country to those who are serving and dying in Afghanistan and Iraq is disgraceful.How do I feel about my country? My son did two combat tours in Iraq,he and his brothers were betrayed by their own senior leadership,by the congress and by the country.This betrayal continues and hope this country someday reaps what it has sown.Sometimes when chickens come home to roost they ain't chickens.

May 26, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
  144. Jim H.

I love our country, Jack. Just as you stated, it's the last great place for freedom on earth. And to realize that there are those among us who don't love it like we do is unfortunate. Particulary disturbing is those who run for public office promising to "fundamentally change" this country. That's what Obama stated, in case you forgot.

Jim
    New York

May 26, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
  145. Heather

Sadness. We are wasting the sacrifices, dreams, and beliefs of so many brave men and women and I am not even clear on how we got to this point and even less clear on how we can fix it. I have a growing sense of both hopelessness and helplessness, like many Americans, and fear that, that in itself is a pretty clear indication that recovery is unlikely. Our government has become not unlike a free period in our high schools; little clicks sub-coming to immature name calling, arguments, and no compromise. It is a circus and it is embarrassing.

I do not want to live anywhere else but here in the the good old U.S. of A, but I am no longer sure what that means.

May 26, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  146. David in Wichita

Jack, I feel real good about the country, I think we have good discussions about politics but there are some people that take it too far. I won't mention your competitor who called a conservative comentator a "slut" yesterday. I think we should have a national fine for broadcasters that cross this line and the proceeds should go to national disasters like Joplin & Alabama.
    As far as remembering those that gave their lives for this country, networks like CNN could flash their pictures in the bottom corner of the screen along with their names and hometowns. Like the Michael Jackson songs says "let it begin with me".

May 26, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
  147. afgomez

I believe this is the greatest country in the world and served fifteen years in the U.S. Navy and was discharged for problems linked to my Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Although I believe there is no other country better than the United States I believe those who died serving the country they love so much would be heartbroken on how veterans are treated by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Active military and veterans make up a small percentage of this country and are always willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for the counrty we love so very much and yet veterans are treated poorly by the VA when appying for benenfits. It is sad that our government does not love us as much as we love our country.

Respecfully
    AFGomez
    U.S. Navy/OIF Veteran

May 26, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
  148. Dee in New Paris Ohio

As Memorial Day approaches I can truly say that I LOVE my country.

And I HONOR those who have given their lives to allow us to stay free.

However, loving my country does NOT make me blind to the fact that it has problems. What I wonder is, how did we get to the point where if someone feels there are problems, and they talk about them, they are 'punished' and called un-patriotic?

To me the ultimate patriotism is to know the faults of your country and STILL love it and wish to serve, and to fix its problems! And IMHO it is UN-PATRIOTIC to blindly ignore it when some people take our values and morals and warp them into something our Founding Fathers would not even recognize!

I LOVE my country, and I want it to return to be more like what it was intended to be.

May 26, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
  149. Ed Florida

How you feel about your country is dependant on what you know about your country. We no longer seem to teach 'positive' American history to our kids. Recent poll – 75 % of highschool age kids did not know George Washington was the first president. Need I say more?

May 26, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
  150. Donald in New Mexico

I love my country. I love my state. I love my county. I love my town. I love my neighborhood. I love my home. All of which could use a lot of improvement. Nothing is perfect, but under the circumstances of life today, I am proud to be American. I keep hearing politicians say they are taking it back. It was never theirs to take. They are on the take. Take a hike. When do politicians give back? I would like to see an effort made by the politicians to set and work toward long term progress, instead of just positioning themselves for the next election. I would like to see progress made toward more freedom In the U.S. Thanks to our fallen heroes and their families for their sacrifices for my rights. Thanks also to those still putting themselves in harm's way for me. Come home safe.

May 26, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
  151. Greg From Newark Delaware

I am disgusted on where this country is headed and it would make those who gave their lives for this country turn over in their graves. I feel these events are planned to pave the way to a New World Order which will wipe away all debts, all our freedoms and create a new money system for the world which we will be tracked even while we sleep. It is a matter of time before we become a cashless society and run our hands under a scanner to put food on the table.

May 26, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
  152. Rocky in LA

Quite frankly, Jack....embarrassed. We have become the United States of Greed. Greed and money grubbing, the reason why we're a consuming nation instead of a great manufaturing nation, has broken the back of our country. Outsourcing, which only profits the owners of a company, has killed millions of American jobs, while people have watched American cities and towns dry up, as a result. These dried up towns are full of "love it or leave it" flag-wavers, who do all of their shopping at Wal-Mart, buying cheap Chinese crap, instead of buying American made (a vanishing species). Those who have profited...the wealthy, are unwilling to do their fair share to help heal our country...especially if that means getting rid of tax breaks and loopholes. My father...rest his soul...fought for this country in WWII and I'm glad that he's not here to see what we've become. Dear America: We ALL need to step up to the plate and do our part to make this a great nation once again, even if that means spending a little more of our own money. You wanna live in a country that you can say is the greatest.....it'll cost ya. So many like to say "freedom isn't free"....so pay up!

May 26, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
  153. Jared

No government is perfect, especially not ours. We've let ourselves get in this hole because of military spending and printing money that is backed up with nothing, and the only life boat, in my opinion, that has saved us from total economic crash is our stand as the world's reserve currency. Things, unfortunately, are not going to get better and when the, you know what, hits the fan, or if, God forbid, we lose the world's reserve currency, I hope that my country has a plan for me to at least get food on my table...

May 26, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
  154. Julian Wells

My grandparents, immigrated to this country in the early 1900's. My parent's generation made this the greatest nation on earth. But in the course of my lifetime we have slowly progressed down a road to economic disaster. The diversity of our culture, that was once our strength, now threatens to tear us apart because we no longer have a common goal. Truth, Justice and the American Way may sound like a cheesy platitude today but at least it was an ideal that bonded us together. Now it seems that too many citizens of this country want nothing to do with the American Way and everything to do with handouts and entitlement and want to bury their heads in the sand as to how to pay for it.

May 26, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
  155. Henry Best

It is still the best place on earth. But, like all leading sociaties, Rome, England, France, Spain, etc we are on the way down to the second tier. Read your history. This is nothing new. Bread and circusus.

May 26, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
  156. Jill Nuyannes

Unfortunately, the words disheartened, disappointed, discouraged, disillusioned and saddened describe how I feel about the US. This stems from divorce / custody experiences in the lower courts. When one party has political, personal, or business connections to court personnel they receive obvious preferential treatment. There is such blatant abuse, misuse, and manipulation of resources and power, that the other party is left totally disrespected, dejected, and beaten down. Good law-abiding, hard- working everyday people are being treated worse than criminals. I never thought it was suppose to be like that in this country. Media, Pennsylvania

May 26, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
  157. Beth Torstrick

I am very proud of the American people, especially the armed forces, as a whole we stand up for what is right and humane. What I am not proud of is our elected officials. They have only representing the big corporations (oil companies & insurance companies, etc.) those that pay them cash, under the table. What about those of us that hired them to represent us, "the people" and pay them above the table! My husband lost his job at GE (February 2010) after 32 years of faithful service. Since then our sewer service, cable company, telephone service, gasoline prices have all increased. But we have not received any increase inour income. How are we to survice?

May 26, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
  158. Michael in Albuquerque, NM

I feel as though it has been currupted and taken over by a bunch of gangsters and thieves.

May 26, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
  159. Chuckiebtoo

I feel ashamed of what greed has done to our country. I feel sorry for what's been done to our history. I have no pride in our country anymore. Flag wavers, Pledge reciters, and God Bless America singers are making a sham of what all that once meant.

The symbolic meaning of flying a squadron of military jets over ceremonies and sports events ridicules what that symbolism once meant. Now all it means is world bully.

May 26, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
  160. jim martin eugene, oregon

Jack

I believe all these problems with our country can be fixed, however I can't help but feel that our current political process is so far out of touch with its citizens, that it is much better at creating problems than fixing them. When I was drafted in "69 and came home we were treated horribly by the same people we felt we were fighting for. Regardless, I will always shake a current soldiers hand, welcome him/her home, and thank them for their service, because I know what the other side of that coin is like......

May 26, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
  161. Mack-PembrokePines, FL

Same way the rest of the world does..."America: she had SO much potential but got what she deserved."

May 26, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
  162. Michael

Jack
    I do have a comment about memorial day , this day was set aside for our vets who served this country and helped make it what it is today a free society. It angers me to see the disrespect for our vets . It seems this Day has become a party day for the sole purpose to have another holiday set aside for a big party from coast to coast for a big drinking binge forgetting the true purpose of the day to honor our men and women who served their country.

Michael

May 26, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
  163. alan

from port charlotte fl

jack as far as the country goes i think im ok with things i guess. i mean most people are reasonable, you can have educated discussions on virtually every subject including politics. its only the vocal extreme minorities of both parties that are causing the issues and until elected officials realize that there will continue to be an impossible bridge to cross in the nations capital.
    as far as the memorial day weekend, its one thing to say we should remember the fallen and those that have sacrificed, its another to back it up and do something about it. for those of you in the dc area go to the various war memorials, for those of you that have no monuments or anything in the area, go to your local vfw and thank the vets there. as i sit here and post this little blurb i cant help but think about how out of wack our priorities as a country are and the rhetoric spouted by politicians. both sides try and pander to vets and active duty personnel. today the house passed a 690b budget that increased pay for active duty personnel by 1%....1% really? we are the ones that secure this democracy and this is our thanks? also hidden inside the budget for the DD was a rate increase for vets seeking medical care through the va. so now since most of us are un-insurable at this point due to the litany of injuries we have to pay for quiet possibly the worst medical care and treatment available.

for folks that like to tout how grateful they are for us vets, the politicians sure like to bend us over every chance they get

May 26, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
  164. Robert (Las Vegas)

Memorial Day for me used to mean a day to honor the fallen troops and taking pride in America, but now I still honor the fallen but also reflect on how greedy, corrupt, and anti-middle class our government has become. This is not the America I knew as a child or read about in history books. It is no longer a government for and by the people, it has been gutted and sold to rich multinational corporations who only wish to exploit us.

May 26, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
  165. Patricialee

Disappointed...USA used to mean integrity,ethics,responsibilty...we were the shining example to the rest of the world...today not so welcome ...greed,beyond understanding ... selfishness off the scale ...and yet I still believe ... I wouldn't live any where else...what's it gonna be like when all us who remember our Greatness are gone....The new generations "seem" to be indifferent re past glories...I won't give up my hope ...Augusta,GA

May 26, 2011 at 7:26 pm |