May 3rd, 2011

With the death of Osama bin Laden, do you feel safer from terrorism?

ALT TEXT

(PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

In the wake of the killing of Osama bin Laden, law enforcement agencies in cities like New York, Washington and Boston have stepped up security on the streets, in airports, and at other transportation hubs like subways and bus stations.

Retaliation attacks from bin Laden's al Qaeda followers are very much a concern.

There's been no specific threat and the Department of Homeland Security has not issued a security alert, though Secretary Janet Napolitano said Americans should remain at a "heightened state of vigilance." Under the newly-revamped Homeland Security warning system, alerts aren't issued unless there are specific threats. The State Department released a warning to Americans traveling outside the U.S. about the "enhanced potential for anti-American violence."

Following bin Laden's killing, chatter on the radical websites used by his terrorist network mourned his death, celebrated him as a martyr and vowed to continue al Qaeda's mission despite the death of its leader. And bin Laden's “number two,” Ayman al-Zawahiri, is still out there. Just because one terrorist is dead - albeit the mastermind of the 9-11 attacks– he's still just one man. Al Qaeda is not gone. And there is much hatred against this country among the militant Muslim extremists.

But the "boatload" of intelligence materials recovered by our guys from bin Laden's house-five computers, ten computer hard drives and more than a hundred data storage devices-should give us a leg up in the short term at least as to what al Qaeda might have been planning.

Here’s my question to you: With the death of Osama bin Laden, do you feel safer from terrorism?
Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Mike in Denver:
Heck, no. Retaliation is inevitable. Bin Laden likely left instructions to his people on how to strike back. This is by no means over.

Frankie:
Yes. The pendulum has swung over to the side of young people in Libya and Syria and other Middle Eastern countries who are fighting to create decent, uncorrupt, modern societies. Not overnight, but a change for the good is happening.

Ray in Knoxville:
No, Jack., I don't. Bin Laden was the face of terrorism for Americans, but there are still a lot of crazy and pissed off Muslims out there. Also, don't rule out some kind of act from some crazy, right-wing evangelical, either.

Meg:
Just a tiny bit safer, although it isn't the end of terrorism. Whoever takes Bin Laden's place as #1 will know that the CIA and our navy SEALs will eventually get him too. Bin Laden had the money to buy secrecy and a place to hide, but will his next-in-line have financial assets like that? I doubt it, so he should be easier to find and kill.

Terry in Virginia:
No more or less. Terrorism didn't start with bin Laden, and, sadly, it won't end with his death.

Kim in Kansas:
I live in Kansas so, unlike a major metropolitan area, I don't live in a target rich environment. I have more fear of an inept Congress and corrupt Federal Reserve ruining this country.

Max:
Capturing or killing Bin Laden was never about feeling safer. It was about finally putting a period at the end of a very long sentence. Kinda like finally finding a terrible ex-girlfriend and telling her "you know what...? It wasn't me. It really was you. Goodbye."

Jim in Alabama:
I feel safer for a while because I think the capture of the valuable intelligence Bin Laden had in his possession will disrupt Al Qaeda momentarily. As for the long run, who knows? Whether another terrorist leader emerges remains to be seen, but I don't believe it's over.

Filed under: Al Qaeda
  1. Peg in NY

It makes no sense but Yes, I do feel safer from terrorism. I shall continue to remain aware and vigilant.

May 3, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  2. Mike North Port, FL

Jack,

While Osama Bin Laden maybe dead Islamic Jihad and terrorism are alive and well. The Islamic Jihad/terrorist movement was around long before Bin Laden and will not end with his death. It is a perpetual war. Anyone who knows the history of it all will concur!

May 3, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  3. Michael Bindner, Alexandria, VA

Since I have a beautiful view of the U.S. Capitol building from my office, that would be a no – especially given the proximity between bin Laden's home and the homes of Pakistani nuclear experts. Next September 11th and next May 2nd, I will be visiting my in-laws in Tennessee.

May 3, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
  4. Terrence Cain

Yes, Jack, I do feel safer. I don't feel like things could reach a major escalation again under Al Queda. With all the intel the Seals grabbed and the death of Bin Laden Al Queda will be totally eradicated very soon. It was Bin Laden who started the whole organization and with him gone they have no reason to keep fighting. Thank you President Obama for doing what no other presidents could do in the past!

Terrence Cain
    Big Spring, TX.

May 3, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  5. Russ in PA

I recall reading a statistic that said that one was eight time more likely to die at the hands of a policeman than a terrorist, so I was never worried about terrorists.

I do worry, however, that the political class will use this opportunity to take more freedoms away from citizens, to argue even more forcefully for the "benefits" of torture, and to argue that Presidents have the right to assassinate others without due legal recourse.

So I worry that the threat of terrorism will result in more threats to our society than the terrorists ever did...

Ron Paul in 2012...

May 3, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  6. David in Tampa

Jack, I have always felt more threatened by the terrorists in Congress, the Executive, the Supreme Court and self righteous religious types than I ever did by radical Muslims.

May 3, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  7. Remo, from beautiful downtown Pflugerville Texas

No. Even though we got the leader, I'm sure he's been grooming a replacement. Bin Laden was smart and it goes without saying that he knew this might happen and most likely made sure his terror would continue.

May 3, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  8. Loren, Chicago

Living in suburbia, terrorism has not been a personal concern, so the death of Bin Laden is a non-event in that regard. To be blunt, al Qaeda has engaged in isolated activities at significant targets, so it has never been a personal concern. Is the world a better place without him? Of course.

May 3, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  9. Debbie

No Jack. It has been proven that our government has helped to fund or support terrorist with weapons and training. We help them and then they turn on us. As long as we try to remain friends and help the Arab countries, the threat remains. Remember 9/11. They were in this country learning how to fly planes, learning all about our building structures and they are still here plotting their next move.

May 3, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  10. Cheryl in Bluffton, SC

I do feel safer, Jack. Bin Laden was already becoming irrelevant thanks to the millions of young Arabs who took to the streets to demand their rights earlier this year. The loss of Bin Laden as a figurehead will further deteriorate Al Qaeda's power.

May 3, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  11. Tony

No Jack, because OBL'S operatives' are still alive and hopefully on the run. We should continue a full court press through our inteligence community and look at compounds' that may exist along Israel's borders in Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, and Egyptian Sinai, and in the Gaza strip, harbored by Hamas, where al-Qaeda operatives' could be hiding. I suspect there are villa's that are similar to the model of OBL'S compound in Pakistan! GO BOY'S!!!

Tony
    Tacoma, WA

May 3, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  12. Chris from NY

We would not feel safe for a long time to come. That is the nature of the beast. Change happens. It is the nature of the nature universe. Nothing remains the same forever. The days of care-free attitude are over even as our fundamental belief towards life hasn't and shouldn't. We refuse to live in fear of what others might do to us and that is what made us who we are. We refuse to be intimidated. That is the American spirit.

May 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  13. Ben from Boston

Jack,

I don't feel any safer from terrorism, but I do feel satisfied that Osama has received his just reward for 9/11. I fear its going to be a long hard battle with these Jihadists.

May 3, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
  14. Bradley, Portland, OR

Bin Laden was just a symbol. It was good to take him out, but nothing else in the world really changed.

May 3, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
  15. Rick McDaniel

Of course not.

One man eliminated does not eliminate the group. It may weaken the group, somewhat, especially in terms of monies for supply line, etc. That's about all.

May 3, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  16. Bill in Portales, NM

I believe that Osama was liked very much by his followers and I think that they will be seeking revenge for a long, long time. Suddenly, I am very glad that I live a hundred miles from nowhere! I am also glad that I am not Obama. I bet Osama's followers plan something really bloodly and will be looking for the appropriate "guilty" person.

May 3, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  17. Mike in Denver

Heck no. retaliation is inevitable. Bin Laden likely left instructions to his people on how to strike back. This is by no means over.

May 3, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  18. PAUL AUSTIN, TEXAS

Some what but we all should know the wacko nut jobs that are out there will try to avenge his death. With all the news coverage we can expect at least a few tries by some of them that thought and think he was the all knowing one and great leader.

May 3, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  19. Atabong

Safe?????? We are not safe because while people will be thinking the main man is down and will have some look worm attitude toward security then should we know they will strike again and now new methods will be delevelop not for target but to wipe out a race so let becareful and reduce the time spand to track a single soul of this traitors in the world From Douala Camroon

May 3, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  20. ken, atlantic city, nj

No I fell less safe because it appears that osama did not have a telephone or internet connection; so the question is who has been directing all this terrorism. Maybe we need to spend another trillion dollars trying to find more terrorists. Get ready for a real wave of terrorism from the mexican drug cartels which are now located in over 250 u.s. cities. I think it is time to declare war on mexico.

May 3, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  21. Bizz, Quarryville Pennsylvania

The only thing that I felt after hearing the news of Osama bin laden death was happiness knowing the man got what was coming to him. I realize there are more groups of terrorist in the world and nuts living among us that wish us harm. After 911 most of us come to realize that we will never be be able to live like we lived before 911.

May 3, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  22. Harold from Anchorage-,AK

A little,but I feel even more positive that our troops can be brought home from overseas deployment. The Afgan war was begun to catch bin Laden, and THAT is "mission accomplished."

May 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  23. Tony from Southport

I feel safer from terrorism because our brilliant military and intelligence gathering capability hasn't been destroyed yet. Let's hope that doesn't "change."

May 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  24. Debbie

I don't feel safe at all...first of all who are we scaring away.?????.it took 10 years for us to catch him..that does not make us look to powerful and he was just the sick mind behind the terrorist acts..he has many willing to step in his shoes and many more ready to follow the new sicko in charge...our security is so lasped and I believe we will pay big time for this. I will feel relief when Al Queda is killed and I dont for see that happening.

May 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  25. AzRose

No, I do not feel safer now that bin laden is gone. There are too many groups that followed bin Laden and I believe that they are angered enough to take action on the U. S. I am worried that the Taliban will cause our Military greater harm. I think bin Laden lost much of credifility but he still had an abundance of supporters.

Rose, Glendale, Az

May 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  26. Jane (Minnesota)

I haven't done a a lot of worrying about terrorism for quite some time. I doesn't help to fret about it. I'm just more aware and take a closer look at strange behavior. That's something that everyone should do anyway. I would say I feel more relieved than safer. This is some justice for those who have lost loved ones in OBL's acts of terror.

May 3, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  27. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Not really. There are many goups of people that just want to kill Americans and other decent people. But I'm not going to hide under a rock either and let them control life because that's what they want to do, generate fear.

May 3, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  28. Jerome Ex-pat in Canada

Never thought I was threatened, I was more worried dying in an auto accident, or in a natural disaster. imagine if we spent all those billions of dollars we used fighting terrorism and put it towards designing safer cars and housing? or just paying down the debt?

May 3, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  29. CRAIG R. MCNEES

tampa, fl did we learn our lesson and secure our ports & borders yet? do we have a real id? do we have e-verify? no, all we have are millions and millions of illegal (yes the official federal term for them) aliens walking around without fear of deportation. don't believe me, look at some of the videos coming out of Tallahassee this week.

May 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  30. Frankie

Yes. The pendulum has swung over to the side of young people in Libya and Syria and other Mideastern countries who are fighting to create decent, uncorrupt, modern societies. Not overnight, but a change for the good is happening.

May 3, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  31. Josh from New Orleans

High-profile drug lords like Pablo Escobar have been assassinated and we still have problems with drugs in this country. The only way I will feel safer from terrorism is when everyone's basic needs (food, water, shelter, education) are met. But that will never happen because we fear socialism.

May 3, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  32. David

Yes, I do. This form of terrorism is no longer relevant or viable as real Muslims are regaining control from their radicals. They are now faced with opportunities and challenges that are far more important to them.

Lashing out at the USA for attention and power is no longer a strategy, but you won't be hearing this from our extensive security infrastructure.

Obama and Clinton seem to have a pretty good understanding of this.

May 3, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  33. Dave

I never felt threatened by terrorist before so I feel no reason to now. If you fear them, they have won.
    Dave
    Seattle

May 3, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  34. Gerry

Were no safer with Bin Laden gone but the infighting to replace him might create some confusion. With so many vying for martyrdom they might run short of living leaders. New day, same war, same fools sacrificing themselves to get to heaven and the 17 virgins.

Gerry
    Ash Fork, Az.

May 3, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  35. Max

Capturing or killing Bin Laden was never about feeling safer. It was about finally putting the a period at the end of a very long sentence. Kinda like finally finding a terrible ex-girlfriend and telling her "you know what...? It wasn't me. I really was you. Goodbye."

May 3, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  36. Phyllis G Williams

With the death of Osama bin Laden, do you feel safer from terrorism?

The latter day Trinity – devil, beast, false prophet (Revelation 20: 10)
    leading to Lake of Fire (Revelation 20: 15).will not be removed
    by him, so we have to continue resting in Psalm 91 and the 911 (smile)

May 3, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  37. Cy Gardner

I have always been way more afraid of the threat from greedy American capitalists run amok than of all the terrorists in the world. The Koch brothers, Exxon, Bank of America, Goldman Sachs.... These are the kinds of boogeymen who haunt my nightmares. These are the fiends who will burn down America so that they can rule the ashes. Send the Seals to Wall Street and don't take any prisoners out of there either. Cy – Arlington , VA

May 3, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
  38. Ed from California

With the head of the beast gone. And seeing where, and how this POS lived. I think his followers will fade away. Besides, the US will surely seize all of his assets. The Team took all of his computers. And I'm sure they will have all kinds of goodies in there to make wiping these morons out for good. So...no, I'm not too worried about terrorists.

May 3, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  39. Dan Richardson

Should we feel safer? Far from it; any person with half a brain in their head can read between the lines and understands what has really been happening in Pakistan. We've given that country billions of dollars to provide us with false intel, while they have harboured FIVE terrorists in their major metropolitan centers.

The smoke and mirror game needs to end on ALL the news channels and in Washington. What "the people" of this great nation need to be concerned with right now is the accountability of EVERY nuclear weapon and ounce of fissable material in Pakistan's possession.

Who wants to take bets that either they cannot account for all of it, or they will not let a third party in to do an accountability study...

Am I scared, yes. Should you be? Up to you – depends on if you want to see pictures of UBL's headshot; or want to see the bigger picture here.

I feel bad things coming down the pipe.

May 3, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  40. Donald in CA

I'm more concerned about terrorism from these right wing group here in america then the bin laden types. We seem to forget the damage thimothy mcvee and his still un named unamericans did in Oklahoma city.

May 3, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
  41. Pete in Georgia

Terrorists are sub-human creatures.......................not people.
    They are like roaches in a 90 yr. old building. You can try to eradicate them but it's really useless. Bin Laden is gone but there are a thousand more ready, willing, and able to come forward and take charge of their lunatic culture.

No, sadly we are not safer.

May 3, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
  42. JENNA ROSEVILLE CA

With the death of Osama bin Laden, do you feel safer from terrorism?

I look at it this way Jack. President Obama cut off the head of Al Qaeda and cut off the money to Al Qaeda – thus killing two birds with one stone.

I am sure that some other Al Qaeda members will try to take control but lets face it, they won't go far because the money is swimming with the fishes.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

May 3, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
  43. Shane in Boston

Absolutely not. With countries like Pakistan, which have governments that make our congress look like they have a backbone, who are implicit in their continued survival, we will never truly be free from terrorism. Until we rid these countries of weak and inept leadership, we will never really be free from terrorists.

May 3, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  44. Dennis north carolina

he was not the only danger in the world, so I would have to say no we are not safer.

May 3, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  45. Preston Akers

Not really. While we may feel safer from terrorist plans that may have been hatched by Osama Bin Laden, there are many others that will want to take his place. The game is tied: Terrorists 1 (9/11) / USA 1 (killing OSB). The war continues!

Preston from Seattle

May 3, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  46. BILL, WI

Not if Osama's successor is worse than him.

May 3, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  47. Bonnie from NJ

Not that I have an ongoing fear of terrorism, but no. We do not protect our ports, our nuclear plants, our water supply, our chemical plants etc. etc. etc. Although our security prevents me from bringing shampoo on the plane, I doubt they could really stop a terrorist from bringing what they want on a plane. Also, there is very little security for small packages going on commerical airlliners. We may have dealt a crushing blow to one terrorist organization, but the hatred of the US is much bigger than just them. I hope our leaders recognize the need to change the foreign policy and stay out of other country's business.

May 3, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  48. Conor in Chicago

No. This is simply a new chapter, not the final act. Perhaps if Bush would have given the Commander on the ground in Tora Bora the 1,000 Marines he requested to block Bin Ladens retreat into Pakistan and nipped all of t his in the bud 4 months after 9/11 I would but hey, Bush had to scare everyone into his Corporate War right? Guess we should just let that slide and let him retire in Texas like a king. Why not....

May 3, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  49. Rich McKinney, Texas

No, not at all. In fact because he was killed i suspect it will set off a chain reaction for revenge. I bet when all those computer drives and disks are looked at it will show plans already in place for attacks upon his death. We now need to spend our time and energy concentrating on what we know instead of what we don't know. Making people fearful is a waste of time. Arming them with the intelligence is the way to go.

May 3, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  50. Michael in Albuquerque, NM

I never felt at threat from terrorism. I fear the street gangs in my town. I fear the police state in my country that is a reactionary response to alleged terrorism. I fear the random events in life that may cause injury. But, terrorism from people like Osama Bin Laden had no effect in my life.

May 3, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  51. Allison from Vancouver

You shouldn't feel safer. Bin Laden is now a "martyr" to some , and they will be seeking revenge for his death.

May 3, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  52. Tom Mytoocents Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Jack
    What scares me is the Southern Border of the United States. We spend 7 trillion dollars for Airport Security and Air Marshall up from700 billion in 2000. This money enables 7% of Americans to fly cheaply at taxpayers expense.Not afraid of Bin Laden or the boogeyman. I just want to know my neighbor is American or here legally.

May 3, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  53. Steve, Clifton, VA

Jack

As a Viet-Nam veteran I lost my innocence regarding terrorism many years ago. As a Black man growing up in the south , I lived with terrorism every day. I came to understand and accept that terror and / or bad groups of people are very much a part of life on this planet and a perpetual force among people of the world. Therefore, the loss of one evil man does not necessarily equate to a greater or lesser degree of feeling safe.

May 3, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  54. Paul, Parry Sound, Ontario

No, where I live the chances of being attacked by a terrorist are about the same as being struck by a meteor during brain surgery.

May 3, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  55. Kathie

Cut the head off a hydra and multiple heads grow back. feel safer, no way!!

May 3, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  56. Terry in Virginia

May 3, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
  57. Ray in Knoxville

No, Jack., I don't. Bin Laden was the face of terrorism for Americans, but there are still a lot of crazy and pissed off muslims out there. Also, don't rule out some kind of act from some crazy, right-wing evangelical, either.

May 3, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  58. DON IN WESTPORT, MASS.

On the contrary. One cannot doubt that the terrorist are planning a scheme right now to avenge the death of Osamabin Laden.
    Where will they hit next? Abroad? My town? Yours? How many children will die.
    How can any man who holds a woman in front of themselves to save thier own lives, think he is a brave man.
    I don't think that is in any scriptures that I have ever read.
    These people are the cowards of cowards and it will go on for a long time.
    Nope! Don't feel safe at all.

May 3, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
  59. Meg Brooks

Just a tiny bit safer, although it isn't the end of terrorism, whoever takes Bin Ladin's place as #1 will know that the CIA and our navy seals will eventually get him too. Bin Ladin had the money to buy secrecy and a place to hide, but will his next in line have financial assets like that? I doubt it, so he should be easier to find and kill.

May 3, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  60. Joe CE

Yes, he had personal wealth and contacts to raise money, as well as dfevoted followers. Both his celebrity and and pratical assests are gone. Elimination of Bin Laden is almost a good a securing the borders and establishung port safety but these latter thing are apparently too much to ask.

May 3, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  61. Cindy, Rigby, Idaho

No. I don't feel safer. He had an organization populated with many souless individuals. However, I do have a feeling of closure over his part in the horror he caused. The real question is: When all the U.S. citizens jumped up and down for joy at the same time, did we move the Earth slightly off it's course?

May 3, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  62. Bill in PA

Jack,

No, we not safer even though we have a multiBillion dollar internal surveillance system, three wars at hundreds of billions of dollars per year killing people who could do us no harm and our "friend" Pakistan has atomic weapons. Just ask India how safe they feel.

The financial terror and war against our own former middle class who used to have jobs with benefits is the real, continuing and growing threat to the United States. Our dollar is loosing ground by the hour. The world may not be willing to keep lending us money to waste on gifts to our billionaires.

Young men around the world who feel hopeless with no future can be led into terroristic actions and are very dangerous.

May 3, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  63. Joe Ft Walton Bch Fl

We probably killed the man's image but we didn't kill what he represented, which is terrorism.

May 3, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  64. Jim in Alabama

I feel safer for a while because I think the capture of the valuable intel Bin Laden had in his possession will disrupt Al Qaidia momentarily . As for the long run, who knows? I think our immediate danger could come from homegrown terrorist cells here who will feel compelled to seek revenge for Bin Ladens death. Whether another terrorist leader emerges remains to be seen, but I don't believe it's over.

May 3, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
  65. Lou & Rudy P.

NO! Bin Laden will just be replaced by someone just as ruthless. The War on Terror is STILL going on. With the death of the tyrant OBL, terrorists will be even MORE determined to hit us harder and more viciously .Plus, with OBL being killed by us, his followers will be able to recruit even more soldiers of hate to their sick cause.....

Lou & Rudy P.
    Roanoke, VA.

May 3, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
  66. Judy

Of course not, but at least there is now closure for the 911 victims families, and for the country. It's like a placebo. Most of us know Al Qaeda is still with us, but it doesn't matter at this moment. I think we trust that the government will not discontinue it's fight. Al Qaeda is just a change in the way wars are fought. Welcome to the future.

May 3, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  67. honest John in Vermont

No Jack I really don't feel any safer at all with bin Laden dead. In truth he was a rather puny terrorist who could only visit his jihad upon civilians. Much of our fear was imagined and orchestrated by politicians. I think we completely over reacted to Al Qaeda and bin Laden and it would have been better to take them out covertly many years ago. Instead, we did "nation building" in Afghanistan and Iraq and we bled ourselves and our soldiers dry. Thank God our soldiers prevailed Sunday night in Abboutabad.

May 3, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  68. John from Alabama

Jack: No, evil never sleeps or goes away. It is a constant that will beat good men and women into the ground. Terrorist are evil because they pick on the weakest link to use. Thomas Jefferson said, "The price for freedom is eternal vigilance." This nation will have to be constantly on guard or evil will have a field day.

May 3, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
  69. Amitoj

No. There are all kinds of terrorism. Just because Osama is dead does not mean it's the end either. There is homegrown terrorism, terrorism in the form of hate crimes, terrorism in the form of people who misinterpret religion, state-sponsored terrorism, etc. With the continuous images of Bin Laden being shown in the media, there is definitely a chance of something else being born out of this, but it is the duty of Americans to be cautious, educated, and remain secure in this situation.
    New Jersey

May 3, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
  70. Nurse Lisa in Shelton CT

While I must admit a sigh of relief that we finally "smoked bin Laden out," I'm aware America still has many enemies from without and within. Our amazing military, government agencies and intel, brave police, etc can mitigate but not prevent every attack. Only the power of prayer and scriptures like Psalm 91 help me feel safe.

May 3, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  71. Kirk (Apple Valley, MN)

Yeah right! Like the death of bin Laden will ease the threat of terrorism. It might slow it down a bit, but it's still there. So I guess I have to answer no, I don't feel any safer or any more fearful of being involved in a terrorist attack.

May 3, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
  72. lou

In my mind I know there are still radical terrorists that wish to do people they disagree with harm. But in my heart I feel a lot better knowing this guy, who has been our nation's boogey man for 10 long years, is no longer hiding under the bed.

May 3, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  73. Scott in Bellingham

No, I don't feel any safer from terrorism.

Only mercy protects us from death. One less terrorist, more or less, makes little difference.

If we are one of the lucky ones we survive the world till we're a hundred or more. But death will jump up and bite anybody anytime. If there is only one terrorist left in the world you just don't want to be in his path. That can be deadly. But then again, you can drown in a teaspoon of water.

May 3, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  74. Lee

Yes, although I feel our personal liberties have been more threatened than the actual threat bin Laden and Al Qaeda presented. What bin Laden took was not just lives in their various attacks, both accomplished and foiled, but the freedoms we value so much. It's so sad that we've allowed them (and our elected officials) to do that.

May 3, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  75. Randy

If you're talking about foreign terrorism which i never feared, yes. The fascist big business merged with bad government style of DOMESTIC terrorism has got me quite nervous.

May 3, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  76. Lois, Ontario, CANADA

Absolutely not. Just because the chief of al Queda is dead, there are plenty of other followers who hate the Americans & more ever they will get even with them for killing chief.

May 3, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  77. Deborah Seibert,. Co

No, if fact, I am anticipating a resprisal or at least an attempt at one.

May 3, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  78. April, Iowa

Not really. Osama was a forerunner of terrorism but it seems he didn't have much to do with the running of Al-Queda since he seemed so cut off from the main source. He lived in a mansion with no phone and no Internet service. I think he was more of a figure head rather than a key player. I'm glad he is dead and gone from the world but I don't think it will keep another terrorist attack away.

May 3, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  79. Teresa in Georgia

I think with Osama's demise , we are a step closer to feeling safer, but there is always the chance that someone else will take his place......never can let our guard down.

May 3, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  80. Barbara in Texas

I definitely feel no safer from terrorism due to the death of OBL. The al Qaeda trained terrorists are still there and probably have had their future plans for years, especially upon OBL's death.

May 3, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  81. dwight

I'm not sure with every action there is always a reaction ...time will tell . we have to be on our toes its just one bad guy . there still is multiple bad guys out there. and we must coutinue to watch our back.

May 3, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  82. Gail PA.

No I don't But ,those Navy Seals make me feel safe and proud. We all know the battle is not over. We can't afford to have our eyes closed. We need to stay alert. I think they should release them photos on behalf of the American people and as a warning to these terrorists. No matter how long it takes we will find you. Can't make them any angrier then what they are already However, we can tell them heed our warning and they can't say they were'nt warned. Hats off to our Navy Seals!

May 3, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  83. Nancy, Tennessee

With the millions of Islamic followers around the globe, I do not feel safer with one gone. We don't know what causes a Muslim to go from a moderate Muslim to an extremist. It may be that with the death of Osama bin Laden that there are now more terrorist than before. We must keep up our guard at all times. The world changed and there is no going back.

May 3, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  84. Rex Savage in Portland, Oregon

No. So many of the "reasons" for the ilk of Bin Laden still exist that there is "justification" for continuation of this kind of terrorism.

Killing this monster was a necessary evil. Co-existing with the horrible right wing radicals of the religious world is an option to killing these monsters wholesale.

You decide which is best.

May 3, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
  85. Don Desaulniers (Belleville, Canada)

I feel that the world will become a much safer place if America decides that now it can truly say "Mission Accomplished".
    The next step to defeating terrorism is to withdraw American and Coalition troops from Afghanistan and Iraq, and to resolve to become involved in the affairs of any other country only if directly attacked.
    American ingenuity and treasure must be used from now on to revive America domestically. While your attention has been diverted by Iraq and Afghanistan, America has fallen on desperately hard times.

May 3, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  86. Michael P

I have never felt safe or not safe. These terrorists want people to live in fear. Americans need to gain confidence and not live in fear of the POSSIBILITY of an attack. This country was built on the back of hero's, they live on inside all Americans. We can overcome any terrorist group. If the tear anything down. We build it back stronger and with more conviction. Keep the attitude America. That is what makes us great!

May 3, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  87. Karl in Flint

I do to some extent. The head is off the snake and I am assuming we got the complete road map to al-Qaida’s current operations on the computers. From this point on, anything we didn’t know we do know now and can be more vigilant of any changes in their operation. I think given bin Laden’s paranoia; his various cells didn’t know what each other were doing. Sort of like our intelligence community of old and the body of the snake is in trauma without its head. Of course they will come back but we should be far better at monitoring their activities.

May 3, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
  88. Mari, Utah

I do feel safe, always have. At our house, we believe that when 9/11 happened, the U.S. government sent a message to the Islamic nations:

"Attack us again, and we will bomb your countries back to the stone age."

I don't believe anyone will attack us again like they did on 9/11.

May 3, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
  89. Mike Noble

I myself Jack am more concerned with the slap in the face we just served to the Pakistani government! They didnt have a clue we were there or going to be there. If we end up in another war, be it with Pakistan over this, or any other country, imagine the devistating effects that would have on this countrys economy!

May 3, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  90. CARL, NEW MARKET, MD

Jack, Feeling safe from terrorism is within the individual. While a threat
    is always present at any place in the world, why worry? If you are a victim
    of terrorism chances are you won't care. If we become a victim, we have
    to rely on someone else to be our revenger!

May 3, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  91. lynne in north carolina

No. Terrorism has been with us since this country was founded in one way or another. Ask the minorities in this country. If it hasn't been physical terror it has been mental terror in some form or fashion.

bin Laden and his terror abruptly brought it to the doorstep to the average white citizen. What they feel when it comes to this maniac, is something that we minorities feel on some level everyday.

Today, in some parts of the country, gangs terrorize citizens to the point where little kids can't go out and play or go to school like normal or even sat out on one's porch. So no terrorism isn't over and neither has it been new.

May 3, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  92. S. Kent

I can't say that I do feel safer. On the other hand, nor do I feel less safe. The nature of terrorism is that it is uncontrolled and unpredictable - even if we manage through careful security measures to evade and prevent some attacks.A terrorist attack is always a surprise to its victims. Whether you believe in God, the fickle finger of fate, or Karma, the sad truth is that when it is our time, it IS our time and we can only pray that we go with grace and courage to a better place. Dallas Tx

May 3, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
  93. keith in ky.

no, he's not the only Islamic nut job spewing their hate speech which they like to call religion.I think we should pull out of these countries which we give billions of aid to, only to have them hide terrorist and plot against the U.S., why do we waste our blood and treasure on these barbaric people.

May 3, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  94. Terry- Greensburg, IN "Hoosier Hillbilly"

"NO!" now we'll have many different factions of it all competing to be the best. From Yemen to the "US" and other places we've never heard of before.
    He was an icon and there's so many that want to take his place!
    All ((HELL!))) will break loose now! 'i' hope 'i'm wrong?

May 3, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  95. Christine- Thousand Oaks Ca

I don't feel any differently. I think Al Qaeda has been in disarray for some time or something big would have happened. I think it is less likely now. But, I do have concerns about sleeper cells in Europe, as I do travel there.

May 3, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
  96. Barbara Lou Townsend

Absolutesly YES I do feel safer now that Osama bin Laden is dead.
    I do not rejoice in anybody's death, or their family's death, but I feel this was justice and had to happen.

May 3, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
  97. BOBBY JOHNSON

Lakewood Colorado. Dont feel any different considering Alkida has become so Franchised. Lets face it? Osama was pretty much hemmed up and couldnt do much himself. Most of his troops had also become franchised. So do I fell safer? Na... Lets get em all!

May 3, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
  98. Michael Wisconsin

Jack: Not really. I think the attacks will be smaller, and In less obvious situations. They will probably hit unsuspecting locations?

May 3, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
  99. Ryan Majersky

Osama Bin Laden was just a piece of a 500 piece puzzle, With him missing nothing can be complete, but you will still have the other pieces and you can always still try. I will never put my guard down.

May 3, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
  100. Jesusdude from D.C.

The al-Qaeda is still breathing, so I think not!

May 3, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  101. Sherry

Safer, no not at all. Why should I feel safer, when there is obviously a successor to this pathetic individual. If anything, I am more concerned of the retaliation that may occur. In addition, if photos are released, that will add to our risk and the risk of our military still fighting the war on terrorism. Let us all remember the servicemen who have died in search of this man. They did not die in vain, and let's not add more of our soldiers blood to this issue.

May 3, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
  102. Niel in New Hampshire

Yes, but the unfortunate choice of Geronimo as the code name for Bin Laden gives me pause.

May 3, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  103. Renee Peoria,Ill

Honestly, I don't even concern myself with whether I feel safe or not. I'd rather die than knuckle under to the cowards who practice terrorism because they just can't stand living in a world where some people believe in free choice.

May 3, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
  104. John

No I dont feel safer – but 'revenge is so sweet' – I wish I was the one who could have shot him!!

May 3, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
  105. Claudia, Houston, Tx

No, terrorism has been a cash cow for foreign leaders and it appears they aren't doing anything to stop it.

May 3, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
  106. MNResident

Getting rid of Bin Laden makes me feel about as safer from terrorism as getting rid of one drunk driver make me feel safer on the roads. No more, no less.......

May 3, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
  107. Jesusdude from D.C.

New people will take his place like a locked drug dealer on his turf!

May 3, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
  108. Peter Bonafonte, Tarrytown, N.Y.

I don't live or work in or near a 'high profile target'. There is a near zero probability that I will ever be a victim of a terroist attack.
    My biggect fear is the terroist all around me.....the other drivers on my commute to and from work.

May 3, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  109. Rich McKinney, Texas

No I don't feel any safer Jack. Fighting terrorists is similar to playing the game Whack A Mole. One pops up you whack it in the head. You sit you wait another one pops up you whack it in the head. The only difference is that in life the battlefield is the entire globe. In the smaller version of the game the board is 3 feet square. It makes it like looking for a needle in a haystack and sometimes it is the haystack itself or the ally government protects the haystack.

May 3, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  110. Jason from NY

I feel much safer, yes. Osama Bin Laden didn't really make major threats against the U.S. as he did before 9/11. There has been no attacks on the U.S. even when he was alive.

Now that he's dead, I don't think that many more attacks will continue.

May 3, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  111. Theo

Yes. In the short term, I believe rushed attempt by extremists to avenge bin laden will lack appropriate planning and therefor be easier to detect and stop... And it's already clear that we're safer in the long run because he's gone.

May 3, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  112. Debbie in Richmond Hill

No! Too many more of his ilk still running around!

May 3, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  113. Pablo J Rodriguez

No, he wasn't the only terrorist alive. We should be alert at all times.

May 3, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  114. David S

Bin Laden is a non-entity. This had no impact. There are many other extremist 'leaders' already forming their own plans, driving their own terrorist plans around the world. I think we have awakened a sleeping bear. I'm more fearful now than I was the day before Bin Laden was killed!

May 3, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  115. Chris f Terre Haute, Indiana

I do feel safer, but I feel that this has opened a whole new door to Terrorism. I feel OBL was the mastermind behind many of the planned attacks and now I feel this is just forcing the piton to be passed.

May 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  116. B Chaplin

I do not feel safer – I feel more in harms way. While killing Osama Bin Laden may have been necessary, the celebrations of Americans will only fuel the resolve of the followers of the newly created 'martyr'.

May 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  117. Andrew Roth

No terrorism is an act of individuals. Osama was just an individual with a large following. They are still out there. This hurts them but does not stp them, may even insight some.
    Andy From havertown PA

May 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  118. Andrew Lipman

Jack, Personally i feel much more at threat. I feel that retaliation from Al-Qaeda is necessary in the near future, especially if they feel they can not survive long without him. We will see retaliation soon, it is just a matter of time.

May 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  119. Joshua

No, Jack. I do not feel safer. In fact, i feel more in danger because of retaliation which may occur from those followers of osama bin laden. He may be dead physically, but my fear is that his spirit will live on in those who followed him.

May 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  120. dnambiar

Safer? Yes. It may not be the end of terror but terrorists will now give a second thought to their mass-murder operations.

May 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  121. Kerry in WI

I feel safer from terrorism for the time being; however I fear for our troops' safety more than ever.

May 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  122. Joe Mills

I'll never feel safe again. The war on terrorism will be the norm till it (this world) is all over. This type of war is replacing the global conflicts of the 20th century. Buckle up for the duration.

May 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  123. Stella MacKay

I do not feel safer and, in fact, I'm even more concerned now than I was a week ago. My 21-year old daughter is spending this semester in Europe with her return to the US not until July. I now worry about retaliation there. It's easier to make a statement in Europe than it is for terrorists to get here so I now will be praying daily that my daughter does not stumble into being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

May 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  124. Lisa IL

I feel safer knowing we have awesome NAVY SEALS and our military out there protecting us. THANK YOU USA MILITARY.

May 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  125. Tara

Yes. I'm not naive enough to think that with Osama, all terrorism is dead, but in his death alone, I'm perhaps 2% less worried about terrorism. However, the greater relief comes from my absolute respect for our military that has only deepened in recent days. Knowing that they were capable of tracking down Osama and eliminating him while keeping it a secret from us for at least 8 months allows me to trust them with my safety even more than before, if possible.

May 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  126. Pat Staten Island

We might actually be less safe. But their goal is our extermination anyway, so this mission was imperative. Its high time that miscreants get the message that their actions might move them that much closer to those mythical virgins.

May 3, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  127. Evan

No I don't feel safer, don't get me wrong I'm glad that he's dead, but it is impossible to kill the idea that he started. By killing him, terrorist organizations will have more fuel to attack the U.S and other Western nations. We cannot afford to allow our gaurd to drop now. The most worrysome day I see to come is the tenth anniversary of 9/11

May 3, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  128. Anthony P

If bin Laden really was the culprit behind 9/11, we just chopped off the head of the dragon that is al-Qaeda. Right now, the terrorist organization is probably shaken up due to the fact their leader was just killed. I'd say yes we are safe FOR NOW, but if this doesn't not end al-Qaeda, al-Qaeda can still be a potential threat in the future.

May 3, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  129. Steve from California

If he was captured or killed in the mountains of Tora Bora I would definitely feel safer. The fact that he was hiding out in a million dollar compound in a busy city in Pakistan is what I'm really concerned about. I take little comfort in knowing that a nuclear armed nation has been hiding the leader of Al Qaeda.

May 3, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  130. Jeremiah

A little bit more but there are still more people out there

May 3, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  131. Mike

I live in Manhattan and I don't feel safer nor do I feel less safe. I have moved on with my life and stopped worrying about unlikely events. I also don't worry too much about getting hit by a bus on my walk to work, and I don't worry about the ebola virus either. What kind of way is it to live if you're always looking over your shoulder? I am not a fugitive and I refuse to be on edge in my day-to-day life.

May 3, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  132. Ruby

As someone who lives very near the Texan border...No, I don't. They celebrated our sorrow, burned our flags, and now we got them back by killing their idol and symbol. I believe we're in more danger now than ever since its like a slap in the face to them. Also, the fact we have these issues with Pakistan might even encourage attacks on our country.

May 3, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  133. Joe Ganem

I'm pleased we got bin Laden, but he was only a symbol of all those who hate and want to destroy America. I'll only feel safer when we stop spending billions to alienate other people around the world by constantly interfering in their affairs. We have enough problems right here at home.

May 3, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  134. Yaron

No, not in the long run. Bin Laden was part of a huge network with many sub-factions that will no doubt want a retaliation, as this is their fundamental (anti-west) ideology. It would be no surprise to anyone that they would hit hard when least expected. Nonetheless, Bin Laden had to be taken down.

May 3, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  135. George from Sarasota

I think things will get worse before we can say we feel safe. We've killed the leader of our enemy, and terrorist cells, either coordinated or acting on their own, will step up their plans to retaliate. While this poses a greater threat, rushed actions means more mistakes. When we have rid the world of more terrorists, then I feel we will feel safe.

May 3, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  136. Tiffany F

No, becauseOBL is only one man, yes the leader and mastermind of 9/11 but remember he has followers that would carry out his plans, TERRORISM will always be until there is peace in the midst

May 3, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  137. Javier in Korea

I saw a report with someone stating "Cut off the head of the snake, the body will follow..." I fear that we have cut off the head of the tape worm...

May 3, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  138. Del, Denver CO

No, not at all, as long as Gaddafi is still alive, the mastermind of and financier of AlQaeda which now unfortunately we'll be more prone to retaliatory terrorist attacks by him and his cronies.

May 3, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  139. gill

Definitely don't feel safer, if you look at it you may have eliminated one problem but created tons more. Think of how al qaeda will may react to this?

May 3, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  140. Christopher

No because if anything it is more dangerous because now Al Qaeda will try and do more damage to the U.S. and its allies i am in the canadian forces so i feel that now bin laden is dead e and the us army along with the seals and marines need to come together and keep a watch out for any strange behavior in a way i feel safer but not that much.

Christopher

Cambridge, Ontario

May 3, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  141. Steve

I have NEVER once been afraid of terrorism. That is exactly what "terrorists" want you to be...is afraid. The only reason that Al Queda is feared is because they were able to pull off a genius plan under a SNEAK ATTACK!! (BTW it hasn't hasn't happened since) And, Thank God the main mastermind to these devious attacks is now living in the Ocean.

May 3, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  142. Chris, Indiana

This indeed makes me feel safer, OBL was the mastermind of the many planned attacks, but I feel a new era is upon us. It is like the passing of the reigns from President Bust to President Obama; a change in the head of the Taliban is eminent.

May 3, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  143. pat in california

no, i do NOT feel safer! we've merely stirred up the hornet's nest. they will seek their revenge, and we will pay for what we did! i'm scared!

May 3, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  144. Alyssa

I am a 15 year old girl from Canada. I have family in the states. I lived in the states when the 9/11 attacks occured. Now that Bin Laden is dead i still do not feel any safer, in fact i feel much more at risk. I feel that they will retaliate in a unexpected way. I am scared that they might attack with nuclear weapons. There is so much at stake here right now. There are many questions and statements left unsaid. Security should be much stronger, we need to keep our people safe.

May 3, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  145. Keith

Safer, yes. The country is on "HIGH ALERT", MAKING THEM (troops, intelligence people, Security, etc) EVEN MORE VIGILANT! I'm just sayin'

May 3, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  146. Linda

Yes! The Navy Seals cut the head off of a poisonous snake when they eliminated OBL. Great job!

May 3, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  147. RJ sponsler

I'm sure i feel alot safer than some of al- Qaida members do, I can imagine with information gotten from Bin laden's hideout, they look like a bunch of cockroaches scurrying away, as the light has been turned upon them, as they look to the skies for a Blackhawk helicopter or drone coming for them.

May 3, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  148. Bobhopeful

I do not feel safer. Bin Laden didn't even have a phone. Terrorists are much more diffuse today. I am concerned that we don't break with Pakistan. That would make us less safe.

May 3, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  149. Lindsay

No, I do not feel safer from terrorism because I have grown up with the fear of terrorism since I was seven years old. I am not going to stop fearing it until I know that my future children can be safe as well.

May 3, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  150. Stephen

Safe because bin Laden is dead? These people hate Americans. Bin Laden was only looked upon with high regard because he had the money to fund their sick desires of killing us. No I don't feel any safer, in fact I think we should keep going down the list until they're all captured or killed.

May 3, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  151. Ronda (from Canastota, NY)

I don't feel safer, but on the other hand I don't feel more threatened either. The anti-terrorism safeguards we've put in place since 9/11 have worked, and I believe they'll continue to work as long as people remain vigilant. The one thing we can't afford to do is let our guard down, ever.

May 3, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  152. kcc

Jack
    We have enough of nuts in this country (ie. Oklahoma City bombing).
    I have not felt safe since. The 9/11 just confirmed there is evil everywhere. We have to find them and get rid of them. An enemy is an enemy.
    KT

May 3, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  153. Mike Goede

If not so much as the death of him the information gathered will more than direct us in the countless channels that no phone or internet could in the aid of this conflict.

May 3, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  154. Glenn Hurley, Jr

No, I don't feel any safer now. Anyone that is smart enough to plan an attack such as occurred on 9/11 surely is able to put into affect a plan to attack the US after he died, a " will" which would further his legacy. It may only be a matter of time.

May 3, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  155. Sara, Winter Park, FL

If anything, I feel like we're in more danger. A retaliation on the part of al Qaeda is very likely, and our relationship with Pakistan will be on edge. It seems there could have been a better way to handle the situation.

May 3, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  156. Patty

Yes, I feel safer..for many reasons including this, plus the rebirth of the Middle East, our better security screenings and techniques. We're awake now and eyes and ears on alert, and I hope and pray we'll stay that way. At the end of the day though we have a lot of work to do to build relations. It will take time, but it will come.

May 3, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  157. Ryan G

Jack, the elimination of one radical will not prevent another one from emerging sooner or later. We saw this with Jim Jones and David Koresh. No we can't assume safety just because bin Lden is gone. We have to always be on the alert and be proactive.

May 3, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  158. Lou Galasso

How could you possibly feel safe from these maniacs that literally worshiped Bin Laden. This is the start of removing these clowns, who will kill their own people without thinking twice. Obviously, they will try something again, especially in the wake of the US finally killing Bin Laden. Where they will strike and what they will try may be a mystery, but if we continue to be watchful, we can stop them. This is an important victory for America and we need to keep the momentum going our way. Congratulations to the Brave men and women fighting for us overseas and a special THANK YOU to the NAVY SEALS who carried out such a dangerous mission on our behalf and protecting our freedom. They should have the support from every American with blood running through their veins.

May 3, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  159. Eric Thiel

Yes, I do feel safe. Though Al-Qaeda may not be gone, their symbol is dead. This event has will put fear back into any Islamic extremists plotting against the United States.

May 3, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  160. MC in Utah

No, I don't feel any safer than I did before he was killed. But I do feel better about our military's intelligence now that they've proved that they can do what for so long seemed to be impossible. Thank you to our military!

May 3, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  161. Liz

No, I do not feel safe. In fact I feel less safe. Especially since my husband works at Ground Zero. Any organized group would have some chain of command. We will just be facing another madman who will be in charge of people who just saw their leader killed.

May 3, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  162. John

I think that Al Qaida will become more vigilant in their efforts against the west. Cudo,s to Obama, but I don't feel comfortable being less aware of what's happening around us. We must continue to destroy Al Qaida.

May 3, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  163. Felix

I don't feel safer, but I do feel more resolute. I fully understand the price that our Country has paid as a result of a promise to our people on 9/11, but I am old enough to know that principle and commitment are priceless.

May 3, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  164. ANAV

No I do not feel safer! In fact I feel like I'm walking on eggshells.
    The way americans are celebrating the death of Osama Bin Laden is only going to continue to fill the terrorists with more hatred towards us!

May 3, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  165. John

No.. not at all. Bin Laden was only one person. Al Qaeda is still a threat to the world. And i dont think that Bin Laden was the only one involved in the 9/11 attacks. There was plenty of people involved. Bin Laden was known for it because he admitted responsabillity of the attacks on the tape found on Afghanistan but that doesn't mean that he was the only one involved or the mastermind of the attacks. His death may be a great releif to many people but its not the end of war on terror, the war has just begun.

May 3, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  166. John IL

I refuse to let terriost make me live in fear. They can kiss my american rearend!!!!!

May 3, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  167. Brian (From Chicago)

Yes Jack. He was the face of terrorism. It is more symbolic than anything. al Qaeda has lost it's star player and recruiting tool. Like a basketball team losing it's best player, it will take the wind out of their sails. And now that bin Laden is gone, a lot of terrorist will crawl back in their holes for a while.

May 3, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  168. marcy regin

I agree with you that we have a leg up – making us more prepared for potential retaliation. I believe if the cells have enough funding to complete their missions, which I'm sure were spelled out IF bin laden was captured/killed, then definitely YES; because, I am a US Citizen living in Europe and the annimosity here against me, the only American in my firm, is so much more than I ever expected coming from Russians, Asians AND Muslims. They hate us (America) with a passion. We must be prepared in the strength of the Lord.

May 3, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  169. RickFromDetroit

No, I do not feel any safer now than before Bin Laden' death and if we blood thirsty Americans don't quit instigating the maniac terrorists I am afraid that we will experience another attack that will dwarf the 9/11 attacks. Flying airplanes into high rise offices was a difficult procedure to perform and it was accomplished with "Box Cutters"

How are we going to stop a terrorist from dumping poison in our water supply, spraying bio weapons out of the back of a car, or using a car bomb in a congested area.

Lets put the addresses of the "blood thirsty" supporters who would like to put Bin Laden' head in their trophy room on a public roster so the terrorist can find them and not me.

May 3, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  170. joe cullinan

I feel safe knowing that his network is shut down .
    As for his death , he may have been worth more alive . It made me feel strange hearing people cheer a persons death, I thought the USA was above that .
    So , I feel a nd think the people cheered because they thought the End of war was near and the troops are comming home .

May 3, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  171. Dave Kaplan

I've always felt safe from terrorism, it was the bullies in high school that scared me more than bin Laden.

May 3, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  172. J in D

One would be naive to think this brings an end to the terror posed by al Qaeda. However, to answer your question, yes I feel safer. There was only one animal on this planet with a mind capable of envisioning and subesquently producing such horror, and he is now "'Geronimo EKIA."

May 3, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  173. Jason

I feel no safer today than I did in the days, weeks, months, and years before Bin Laden's capture and destruction. Bush and his administration did a great job keeping our land safe. Obama and his administration has done a great job keeping our land safe and I believe Obama will continue to keep us safe. The greatest mistake we and other countries made was complacency and we were caught off guard. You can only surprise us once and then our guard comes up. There have not been any other "9/11"'s in the U.S. since that terrible day in 2001 yet there have been attempts and those would be martyrs were stopped. These people's tactics only work when you can catch people with their pants down or if you are fighting people in your land. Obviously this isn't their land and our pants are no longer down.

May 3, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  174. Carol Mayer

I think we are safer from the war on terror. BUT I don't feel safer from the war on words by the hot air, misleading Republicans. The silence has been so nice. This war is spliting America and not doing anything to make us stronger. It just serve the rich a reason to cross the palms of our politicans so they can get richer.

May 3, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  175. Kevin Rusch

While I am not foolish enough to assume that one death can convince the entire Al-Qaeda Network to give up, I do believe that when the President announced that we had finally killed Bin Laden, it sent a message around the globe: We got him. We can get you. At the same time, the United States Government and specially the Obama Administration appears a lot more confident now that they have proven that they can get the job done. Finally, a glimmer of hope amidst a mad and messy world.

May 3, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  176. Colombo

Not at all. In fact, I feel much unsafe because having a strong leader like Bin Laden have certain level of restraint on individuals who just want to go and attack and kill. There is an order of command and it is very unlikely for an individual to act all on their own without receiving orders from the top. Now that there is no leader, there will be confusion among its members as well as a breakdown in their system of communication. This will lead for the larger Al-Qaeda network to break up into much smaller groups resulting many new leaders and it will be very difficult to track their activities. This was my thought as I watched people celebrate Bin Laden's death.

May 3, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  177. Bimal Rizal

no!! its too late...it could have made difference if he was killed soon after 9/11... but today his death doesn't mean the world is safe from al-queda.
    U.S just hit the colony of bees...so we need to be very careful.

May 3, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  178. Stephen Charchuk

Safe is a relative word. There will always be threats out there.

One thing, though. This is what "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" looks like, Mr. Bush......

May 3, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  179. Greg in brooklyn

Though i live in newyork i would love to say i feel safer but i don't. even more so now that osama is gone Doesnt change the fact that my city is still an always will be a target against the free world there will always be people who will mimic him or look up to his teachings and will forever see us as the enemy. Considering bin-laden was unarmed and shot in the head doesnt make american justice look any better in the eyes of those we wish to show our ways are better than theirs. that hate and revenge prevail without a trial. tells them we are no better than they are in their views.

May 3, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  180. Brody

Do I feel safer from al'qaeda? Absolutely. Do I feel safer from terrorism? Not particularly, Those who believed in Osama still believe in their cause. It may or may not be al'qaeda we see again. But those same men could just as easy pick up a rifle again. However in the time being, It's nice to believe we wont be seeing them again. Thank you America!

May 3, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  181. Arion

Not really...It may get worse. Even before bin Laden was on the radar, there were already terrorism all over the world but not the kind we are experiencing in this era. Bin Laden may be gone but he had left the legacy to his constituents...to continue on with what he has started. We just need to be more vigilant.

May 3, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  182. calaurore9

Al Qaeda terrorists are in Detroit, Ft. Hood, anywhere in the U.S. and the world. It's gone viral but terrorism doesn't have a label, anyone can be a terrorist. This is the symbolic end to the reign of terror lead by one particularly evil rich man.

Carol in Ma

May 3, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  183. brad

I feel scared because AQ will want revenge the US. But we dont know if they will or when attack the US.

May 3, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  184. Adi

Do I feel safer? Not at all! Our government will create another Osama to cover their action and to give them a cause for another war. Just stop the war and bring our young and brave soldiers home!

May 3, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  185. Kevin from Colorado

Perception isn't always reality. Feeling safe isn't the relevant question, rather, are we safer as a result of bin Laden being killed? Looking at the whole, both sides pose fair arguments: on the one hand there are likely many terrorists out there who will continue to proliferate their anti-western sentiments through violence and will perhaps be incited by bin Laden's death. However, it is a small victory without a doubt for this country, and if nothing else rids this planet of another hate-filled individual who would rather take life than help improve it.

May 3, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  186. Tina Maas

I have never felt unsafe, just more aware of my surroundings. OMB's number was up and it should have been. He hurt people world wide. He was a spiritually & mentally ill human being. His followers are the same. Now it's time to find the new leader of these people. The beat goes on.......unfortunate for the human race.

May 3, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
  187. David Dillard

I do feel safer in regards to his death and that the fact they have computers and hard drives with probably some very important information on further activities that could be vital in heading off potential further attacks. If I was a terrorist I would definitely be running for the hills wondering if my name is on those hard drives.
    That information is as important as the death of this monster in my opinion. David Toledo, Ohio

May 3, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
  188. Greg from Ohio

Jack, I know we have the greatest militay in the world, I am not worried! But when are we going to wake up to secure our own borders we are making it to easy . We need to stop paying millions of dollars for a war with no end. We need ti invest in securing our own borders. Stop paying for the billons and billions of dollars to provide aid to these country that end up untrust worthy, and put our hard earned dollars back in our own secure America.

May 3, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
  189. Rhonda

bin Laden's terror was lasting, in how it affected how we reacted to it and that made us turn against each other. That scared me more than anything. I did feel relieved when I heard he was dead. My relief has turned to hope that we, as Americans now have a reason to get back to working together, quit the rhetoric, and move ahead. That is the only way to kill everything bin Laden did here, and for me to feel safer.

May 3, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
  190. George Pittsburgh, Pa

Bin Laden's death is certainly a symbolic blow to Al Qaeda and Islamic extremism. However, our nations security is ultimately more dependent upon the quantity and quality of the intelligence retrieved from his compound -invaluable insurance from future attacks. Especially if that information is capitalized upon NOW.

May 3, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
  191. Luisa S

I don't feel one bit safer. I think all the jubilation in the aftermath of bin Laden's death only exacerbates the anti-American moral within extremist Muslim terrorist groups. I don't doubt we will see vengeful attacks and retaliation surrounding these developments. I think he should have been tried; this controversy surrounding his death doesn't help the situation, and I find it hard to believe that people feel closure when we can't be sure he is really dead. Regardless, an eye for an eye and we all go blind.

May 3, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  192. Jim

No I don’t feel safer at all because there are terrorist in this country and they are not muslin. They are people who are anti government, people who hate blacks, people who hate Mexicans, people who hate gays, Please don’t forget about the Oklahoma bombing. I feel that is more of a possibility in the future then an attack from any foreign terrorist. Yes home grown right here in the USA.

May 3, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  193. Ali Raza Qureshi

The death of Osama is a big achievement, but its not the end, The radical Muslim group Al Qiiada, will try to avenge Osama's death, we have to be a lot alert and prepared to defend our country against these animals.
    i read in a book the person who wishes for peace should prepare for war.
    I am very happy that the evil of our time has been killed, but now our safety has to be on top of the list.

May 3, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  194. Mike

Al-Qaeda will do what we feared would happen in Iraq with the exit of Hussein. In-fighting between vying self-imposed Holy Leaders will render al-Qaeda weak and impotent.
    With our limited involvement in Libya and acceptance of the new regime in Egypt, there is hope the radical Islam sect would soften their view on the USA, especially since the echoes of Bush's saber rattling has diminished.

Mike in Houston

May 3, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  195. k262(Miami, Fl)

The death of osama does not the end of terrorism, remember now there will be competion between them for the new leader.On my opinion it is now America should be more carefull about attact. Those heartless act doesn't seem to have an end, it is better yet to secure our country than think it is over.

May 3, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  196. Bill

There will be the number 2 man to replace him that was the brains of the 9.11 plot. I do not beleIve that any More planes will be flying in to bldgs. I will not stop them to plan other attacks on americans.

May 3, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  197. Paulo J Pires

I agree that all aid and efforts should be haulted to Pakistan. I find it to be ironic that bin Laden strategically chose a place to call his home within close proximity to the Pakistani Military Academy. Also, regarding the presentation of the post-mortem image, we have already agitated his followers so why do folks think that it will further encourage the supporters of al-Qaeda? Show the image to comfort the American people!

May 3, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
  198. Lisa

For one to feel "safe" because one terrorist is dead is just ignorance. But that's not to say we shouldn't feel safer in what was illustrated via the capture and death of Bin Laden. One should feel safer in the sense the US government and special ops illustrated justice will be served and while fighting for freedom is a tumultuous battle against terror, we will not go gentle into the dark night, but continually defend and protect it. One cannot live in fear of terrorism – but rather find grace in the protection and honor provided by the men and women who protect our country...and defend global freedom.

May 3, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
  199. Nik

If the question applies to international audience, no is the answer. I'm from India, have seen incidents such as Mumbai and several others prior to that. While I'm sure we all appreciate the success achieved by the US in this fight against the bad guys, I really fail to understand how the bad guys who cause us hurt are simply ignored and let off in pakistan – are they any better than Osama and thousands like him? No. So, to summarize, unless all the bad guys are treated the same way and are pursued and eliminated, the death of one bad guy is hardly expected to cause relief. But having said that, it is a huge success for the US.

May 3, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
  200. Troy from Alabama

I believe we have crippled Al Quieda and they now know that President Obama will not hesitate to execute strategic strikes and let them taste fear for a change. So yes I feel a bit safer because they fear President Obama who has proved his foreign policy initiative and has shown his mafia tendencies that I was unaware he had. However I found out over the last 48 hours, why… because Osama Bin Laden is now “Sleeping with the fishes.” True Chicago style!

May 3, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
  201. Jim

Jack,

In the short term, no. Terrorist groups will now lash out like wounded scorpions. In the long term, however, the answer would slowly morph to yes. Wounded scorpions eventually die.

Jim
    Reno, Nevada

May 3, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
  202. sebastian

with a higher security i feel safer after bin laden's death..however i fear more for other families around the world because pakistan and afghanistan are not only al quaeda targets I.M.O..a bomb blast has already been reported in afghanistan

May 3, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
  203. john from chicago

As long there is evil men on this earth, terror will always be with us.

May 3, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  204. Donna

As long as there is poverty, there will be terrorism. It is a way of life now.

May 3, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
  205. greg doyle

as long as we support dictators who benefit us, as long as we support sweat shops for our benefit, as long as we believe greed is good, I will expect terrorists. If we renounce these actions I expect terrorism may continue as long as anyone can make a bomb, but I will find some comfort in believing we did nothing wrong.

May 3, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
  206. Gigi Oregon

I refuse to let media place me in a fear mentality. When Hitler died he died. And I never looked back. Because, Franklin Delano Roosevelt preached to "We the People" the only thing to fear is fear it's self. So keep putting on foot in front of the other and before you no it... another generation will have survived.

May 3, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
  207. sade salami

I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad over the death of Bin Laden, I would not want to rejoice over another human death but then again this was a ruthless man who masterminded the death of many people around the world, I am a frequent traveler and would not want to get on a flight and be faced with the 9 11 situation, the world might be better off without Bin Laden but i really hope and pray that he (Bin Laden ) wouldn't be more deadly in death.
    from Lagos Nigeria

May 3, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
  208. big man

To be honest no i mean picture this pakistan was playing both sides but with bin laden gone it only gets worse from here because the international law policy and also the fact that we have millions of muslims in the us that can attack at any moment and not even know what hit us ten times worse than 911 and the terror lives through the rest of his family i thought that an unarmed man is supposed to be brought into custody like saddam hussein and interrogated in order to get all the al quida now where are they and whos on al quidas side now

May 3, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
  209. Nick S

Yes Jack. Yes I do feel safer. Finally, I can stop locking my car and shredding my bank statements. I also can stop putting on this stupid helmet every time I go outside.

Location: Vulcan

May 3, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
  210. James R. Van Dusen

Sure I beleave the US is now under under increased threat, people should be all to awear of their surroundings.
    This is good reason to come down on illeagal alens as they should now show their papers.
    Everyone coming into the United States is a suspect and should be treated that way – no matter what the constution says...

May 3, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
  211. tim

Not living, within 2miles of Fort Hood, biggest military post in the U.S. When everyone does everything on the post at the same time. ie; they go in all at the same time, they all get of at the same time, u can set your watch to it. Not to mention the cluster's at the maingates everyday. Wow what a target..

May 3, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
  212. Jasmine in Germany

The followers of Osama bin Laden have no reason to feel angered or mightier since their leader has been eliminated, but they will, because they are mostly ignoramuses. Bin Laden was a murderer of human beings (mostly Muslims) and was unable to stand on a public stage in a public square to debate his views for too many years. What kind of a leader is that? Bin Laden was a weak soul , martyrization does not even play a role.
    No, no one should feel safer from terrorism, the battle is still in progress. Terrorism will exist until the entire world has freedom of speech and can solve problems through proper communication. The Al Qaida members have a long road ahead in development before they figure that out. Education and communication is still the key to almost everything.

May 3, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
  213. Maria Mercer

NOt I am not feeling safe at al ,and the White House .shows the photos of him dead ,it will be deadly ,we are not safe not more it will be a outburst form this people and many inocent victims will pay with their lifes ....he is gone but the others still there and now with more reason remember it was Osama bin Ladden.!I will be afraid to fly from now ,and we are in DANGER period!

May 3, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
  214. Gail, The Woodlands, TX

All you have to do is read these blogs and realize that their are some mentaly challenged people out there. No, I don't feel any safer than I did before but we needed to deal with the indivdual who set a new benchmark for how we live our lives. With undo caution and never a moment again when you are on a plane, train, subway, bus, or even a sports arena that the thought of terrorism doesn't, even if just for a second, cross your mind. It is amazing how a few individuals have marked the landscape with their horror.

May 3, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
  215. Eli H.

Absolutely not. I felt safer when the Patriot act invaded our privacy, not when bin Laden was killed......

May 3, 2011 at 6:56 pm |