March 24th, 2011

Do you feel you have been told the truth about Libya?

ALT TEXT

Libyan rebels prepare for battle against government forces. (PHOTO CREDIT: ARIS MESSINIS/AFP/GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

In an interview with the Boston Globe in December 2007, then-Sen. Barack Obama said this on the campaign trail, "The president does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation."

He was talking about Iran at the time, but fast forward three-plus years, and some lawmakers are accusing him of doing just that in Libya now that Obama is president.

In separate remarks that same year, then-Sen. Joe Biden (and now Obama’s vice president) said he'd move to impeach a president that did such a thing. Don't you hate when those words come back to bite you?

There are a lot of unanswered questions swirling around about our involvement in Libya on the part of Congress and the American people:

• Did the president have the authority to deploy U.S. military to Libya?
  • What is the U.S. mission there?
  • How quickly can and should we hand over control and to whom? (It's something the president, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates have talked a lot about.)
  • And maybe most importantly, what is the end game?

The Obama administration insists it has been responsive to the many questions about the Libyan mission, but no one on Capitol Hill seems to be happy with the president or clear on what's going on there.

Here’s my question to you: Do you feel you have been told the truth about Libya?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Rob in Louisville, Kentucky:
Of course they are telling us everything! They have no clear mission, no clear exit strategy, no clear definition of success or failure, no clear understanding of who is in charge, and no clue what the results of the actions are going to produce good or bad.

Cheryl in Bluffton, South Carolina:
I don't know the whole truth, Jack, but President Obama and his advisers do. More importantly, I don't feel I've been lied to, which is nice for a change.

John in Oakland, California:
Heck, I don't feel like I've been told the truth about anything that really matters - and I'm 61 years old! Old enough to have lived through the years of Vietnam, Watergate, WMD in Iraq and "Change We Can Believe In," and sadly, to have adopted an acquiescence when it comes to my government lying to me. I expect it!

Cal:

Ralph:
Yes. A town the size of Seattle, Washington was faced with extermination and the U.S. and its allies under UN approval stepped in at the last moment to stop it. The rest is hogwash.

Nina:
Told the truth? You must be joking! "We the People" have not been told the truth since the Dark Ages. We were told our country was in jeopardy because of Communism during the Vietnam War. We were told Iraq had WMDs. We were told that al Qaeda was in Afghanistan. All was a bunch of lies in order to fight bi-proxy wars for global corporations and special interest groups.

Rich in Texas:
Jack what I think is that no one knows the truth. This thrown-together hodgepodge of some resemblance of military force has no clear mission and no clear goals. How can they ever know if they have achieved a desired effect if they themselves do not know what that is?

Filed under: Libya
  1. Russ in PA

What's to know? That the US is once again attacking a sovereign nation that is not threatening us? Why is Obama doing the exact same thing that he and Biden said was an impeachable offense? I suppose it goes to show how much control the military complex and large banks have over our politicians.

March 24, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  2. Rick McDaniel

Probably not. The issue with me, is not truth, but fiscal responsibility. We cannot afford to be funding more wars, than we already have, pure and simple.

If the Arab League wanted a no-fly zone, then THEY should have provided for the enforcement of it.....and NOT the US, or any other westernized country.

They are using us......against ourselves, and it is about time, that we sat up, and wake up, to reality.

March 24, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
  3. s in pensacola

Absolutely, Jack. All the truth we need to know. All the gaggle and hand-wringing is a waste of time and energy. The far left are typically over-concerned and the right is just grinding up some more campaign sausage for 2012. To me, the simple fact that we didn't turn Libya into another Halliburton/Blackwater jobsite is definitely change I can believe in.

March 24, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
  4. Pete in Georgia

How can anyone know the TRUTH when the loonies in charge in Washington have no clue themselves what the actual TRUTH is ??
    Their actions are like a moving target, acting and reacting only to satisfy public polls that would enhance their images.
    Right or wrong has NOTHING to do with anything any more.
    Not today.

March 24, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
  5. Charles, Lansing, Michigan

Of course not. For some reaon Generals have to retire before they start telling the truth about what is necessary to conduct a successful war. Remember the battle cry: "Mission Accomplished." Our leaders never seeem to know what the mission is.

March 24, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
  6. John from Alabama

Jack: Amazingly, as it may sound, yes. I think we are giving air support, destorying radar sites, destorying Libyan air power, amoured vehicles, and trying to aid the oppsition forces against the Gahafi Regime. I believe there are no ground forces assisting the rebels, but I do believe there is a great deal of communication going on.

March 24, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  7. Greg of Mechanicsburg PA

I do not feel that I have been told the truth about Libya. I don't expect to be told the truth about Libya OR Japan, Iran, and a host of other things that our government is involved with. Haven't you heard, we are not at war, we are at "enabling".

March 24, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
  8. Janne from NC

Unless I missed it the President has not told us ANYTHING. So using the logic of my 5 year grandson I guess that means technically he has not told us a lie. ( but it also means he has not told us the truth)

March 24, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  9. Bryan, Colorado

No I have not been hearing the truth. The truth is the only way Gadafyy leaves Libya is in a body bag. How stupid does this administration think we Americans are. You don't need U.S.ground troops to kill Gadafy.

March 24, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  10. John Moore - New Britain, PA

Jack, I can only respond by saying more or less and believe the lack of clarity is caused by uncertainty within the administration itself. However, unlike the Monday morning quarterbacks I think this uncertainty is better than us standing by while civilians are slaughtered.

March 24, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  11. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Hi Jack. You're intro says, "Tell Jack how you really feel". The sadness that I feel for so many people in this world that are killed in the name of peace makes me feel lousy inside but grateful that we have an easy life compared to 90% of the rest of the world. No, the truth is not a word that politicians believe in, nor use. So life goes on.

March 24, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  12. Steve, Clifton, VA

No I do not believe that we have been told the truth about Libya and I also believe that we can't handle the truth at this point and time...

March 24, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  13. Bizz, Quarryville Pennsylvania

The truth is why were there is because of oil. That is why we invaded Iraq. But you will never hear that come out of any politicians mouth. If there was no oil in Libya no one would care what happens.

March 24, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  14. Louise

You've got to be kidding. From outright lies to the favorite media term "Obama nuance." Terms like overseas contingency operation and kinetic military actions don't fool anyone. After explicitly stating that boots on the ground would be "out of the question," I just read the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit is on the ground and we have deployed 2,200 marines who are already off the shore in Libya right now. Can't wait to see the name Obama calls this "non-military" maneuver.

Louise
    Atlanta, GA

March 24, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  15. Annie, Atlanta

So far, yes. I get the impression the President wants to avoid what Muslims take as fact, that the U.S. is at war with Islam. And especially right on the heels of King's recent witch hunt, showing at least some of us are.

March 24, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
  16. KingofthePaupers

Jct: Told the truth? Har har har. I haven't seen one crowd shot like in Egypt, guess it's hard to get too many people upset when their dictator is giving them no taxes, free health care and education. Almost every shot has a couple of people revolting against their freebies but no one's going to believe many are. So, the dictator they obey because they love him, not because they're scared, has been bad-mouthed by western media with their true situation hushed up. Highest standard of living in Africa! No, GuantanamObama's underhanded invasion is one America won't be able to white-wash for long. Shame on him.

March 24, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
  17. Herman Portland OR

Jack,
    This has turned out to be a monumental lack of leadership by the current administration. I understand the urgency for protectiong the Libian people but the decisions of the administration to not disclose to the American people or the Congress what the game plan is or the goal is not truthful. Promises made by our campaigning now President Obama for transparency and change for the better has come up short. A majority of the Ameircan people are dissatisfied with the results. We need defined goals and true leadership to win the confidence of the American people not a deluted leader that depends on the UN to give him direction to proceed with American interest in the world.

March 24, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  18. Mike McMahon

Jack,
    I don't think the American public needs a blow by blow description of what has transpired with President Obama and the Allies that have joined this fight, but I'm damn sure that the President DID ADVISE THE RANKING MEMBERS OF BOTH HOUSES, BOTH DEMOCRAT AND REPUBLICAN! Obviously, in my opinion, the Republicans either were not listening and choose to use the opportunity to trash Mr. Obama. Weren't those guys on VACATION last week? Interesting to see what happens when Obama is out of the country, its like a class of 5th graders waiting for their teacher to return to the room, the Republicans are disgusting.

March 24, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
  19. Marvin in Polo Mo

Jack, I sure hope not. CNN is my main source for world news. If a politicians mouth is moving, he is lying, except for Jimmy Carter and Honest Abe

March 24, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  20. Tony

No, we have been lied to about Libya. President Obama did not get the US involved in the Lybian Civil War. And we should not be involved in any way.

Why is there US troops in Africa? The African Command has been in Africa officially approximately 4 years. The first 4 star general was General William E. Ward....a black man. On the 9th of March 2011, he was replaced by General Carter F. Ham....a white man. Egypt recently warned Clinton about meddling.

The US has always had their sites on Libya. And with all that has happened in recent history, the US is now trying to take advantage of the situation. Every person of color in the world know who the US is and is not trusted. The African Command and Libya should be viewed very closely. 21st centry colonialism. US still playing the "skin game".

March 24, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  21. Marvin in Polo Mo

Jack, I sure hope so. CNN is my main source for world news. If a politicians mouth is moving, he is lying, except for Jimmy Carter and Honest Abe

March 24, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  22. John - Oakland, California

Heck, I don't feel like I've been told the truth about anything that really matters–and I'm sixty-one years old! Old enough to have lived through the years of Vietnam, Watergate, WMD in Iraq and "Change We Can Believe In", and sadly to have adopted an acquiescence when it comes to my government lying to me. I expect it! ... Kindly pass the peas, will you, please?

March 24, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  23. Greg in Arkansas

We, as Americans have not been told the "truth" about anything since before that weather balloon crashed in 1947 near Roswell New Mexico so why should we think anyone in government is telling the "truth" now?

Politicians have to first study, analyze, interpret, debate and then spin their findings based on their latest public opinion poll before we can finally have the "truth"....but only...if it fits their agenda.

I don't expect very much from our elected officials so I will wait for the History Channel special in a few years to tell me what I already suspect.

March 24, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  24. Joe CE

Lybia is not a mystery. There was an uprising and when Gadalhi started killing there was a general uproar to stop it. That is now in progress and has been very successful so far. How it plays out remains to be seen. Best case the rebels regain the initative and win. Worst case, Gadalhi holds on ad wins. An invasion by the colation appears very unlikely. Right now neithr th US government nor the coalitio nr Gadalhi kowns whats going to happen. As long as the air action continues to succed and Gadalhi stays, expect it to continue. This dose not look like a long term action in any case. The exit strategy is obvious, we stop if Gadalhi regains control or if the coalition disintegrates.

March 24, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  25. rob Koons louisville ky

Of course they are telling us everything! They have no clear mission, no clear exit strategy, no clear defintion of success or failure, no clear understanding of who is in charge, and no clue what the results of the actions are going to produce good or bad. What a way to run the greatest Country in the World!!!

March 24, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  26. Rich McKinney, Texas

Jack what i think is that no one knows the truth. This throw together hodgepodge of some resemblance of military force has no clear mission and no clear goals. How can they ever know if they have achieved a desired effect if they themselves do not know what that is? At a cost of a billion dollars to Americans keeping a no fly zone not to mention the potential loss of life I think we have been hornswoggled, lied to, cheated, circumvented and abused. The good thing is that 2012 is right around the corner and everything Mr. Obama does is going to come back to haunt him in that election.

March 24, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  27. CRAIG R. MCNEES

Tampa, Fl Libya? Wiki Leaks is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to our Government and the truth. Kennedy, Oswald, Nixon, Vietnam, the list goes on and on. The only truth is that our Government can not be trusted, they lie, they cover up, then tell us we must look forward, not backward. I would prefer a few backward steps and sending those accountable to jail. Libya will be another Iraq, another chance for Haliburton to make a buck.

March 24, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  28. Loren, Chicago

What's the truth here? A despot starts to shoot his own people and no one does anything. Not much different from the last two or three thousand years in mankind's existence.

March 24, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  29. Robby Bowling

NO, what does truth and our government's leaders have in common. NOTHING ! We've come to expect they lie about everything. Other than doing nothing this is what our government does. Viet Nam , Afghanistan& Iraq ( truth) give me a break. Pessimistic in Dallas

March 24, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  30. Cheryl in Bluffton, SC

March 24, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  31. Ted from Hershey, PA

We are never told the complete truth, but even as a coonservative I support getting out as soon as possible! Like Afganastian those tribes make the "after situation" very questionable. Someone needs to poll all the tribes, see if there are any commen issues, determine if they even want "democracy" or some version of it, and then decide if there is any future for a calm Libia. We really don't know.

Even so we need strong involvement by the Arab League with planes, missles, and/or what ever they have. I don't see any committment! We need the TRUTH to know the real situation and what to think about the future!

March 24, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
  32. Donald Ainsworth

Not sure if we are being told the truth or not, but probably more truths than the Libyan people are Jack. One thing I am tired of is the Obama bashing over this. All analysts said he needed to wait for Arab Countries & international support. He did that! Republicans had their mouthpieces stating he needed to act earlier. Now they are bashing him saying he needed to confer with Congress. If he had, the issue would still be before Congress & Ghadafi would have killed thousands & retaken the Country! The least Obama confers with Congress the better off he & the Country are! Don from Ohio

March 24, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  33. Eman

As a Libyan citizen, I have got the turth about the situation in Libya. My resources are American media and local stories that I have heard from friends and family members. It is a matter of fact that the forces have saved thousands or even millions of Libyan civilians. I wish they will continue their mission and I'll cross my fingers that Gaddafi's end will be soon. I wish that every soilder will return back home safe. Thank you.

March 24, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  34. Dave, Huntington, NY

I don’t care. It doesn’t matter. All I know or care about is that we are in yet a third war with no exit strategy, no definition of what “win” means and we are again a coalition of one as the others have run for the hills as soon as we started dropping bombs. We have no interest in this country other than to kill its leader who murdered a few hundred Americans. But right now we can not afford the luxury of revenge with all our other problems, including a Tea Party run amok, aiding and abetting the destruction of the middle class.

March 24, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  35. David in Tampa

Jack, We have been told about as much truth as any administration has ever told the American people about getting us into a conflict. Some sage like advise from my youth was to believe only half of what you see and none of what you read. Seeing and hearing anything from a politician results in a negative number on the old truth-a-meter.

March 24, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  36. andyz Lynn, MA

Absolutely not! Some historian, several decades from today, will unciver the truth and once more we will find that an American president has shamed us. I guess that Obama's definition of transparency is a smidge different than mine.

March 24, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  37. Jenna

Do you feel you have been told the truth about Libya?

What lies do you think we have been told Jack?

President Obama said that we were going to be there a short period in a non leading role and sure enough it was just announced that NATO is taking the lead. And we have been only there a few days.

So which lies do you think that we've been told?

Jenna
    Roseville CA

March 24, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  38. Minesh - Troy, MI

No Jack. We are not clear why we are doing this and when we will get out of this quagmire

Minesh Baxi, Troy, MI

March 24, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
  39. Gerry

If it comes from the Federal Government don't expect the truth. At the start of the Afghanistan action where we removed the Taliban my E-mail monday Quarterbacks said this action for for an oil pipeline, when we invaded Iraq the same group of mental giants said this invasion was for oil. Yesterday one of the same soothsayers claimed that were creating a "No-Fly Zone" in Libya for oil. If I am correct I believe the U.S. receives 5% of Libya's oil for which we pay a premium for. But will all this military action and billions spent the price of oil only goes up and were still dealing with the same group of countries that we did before. Who do you believe? I think I'll stick with you Jack.

Gerry
    Arizona

March 24, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  40. Frankie

Yes. It's just not as complicated. I bet you that I could explain it to John Boehner. Many people would rather imagine terrible things that might happen in Libya and then complain about them as if they were true. How about some good old American confidence in ourselves?

March 24, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  41. Tony from Southport

Obama has lied about so much since he first started running for office, that I don't believe a thing he says.

March 24, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  42. Jenny from Nanuet, NY

Yes. Obama has gone out of his way not to chest-thump or to scare us about why he felt the need to help the Libyan people. He got a REAL coalition, in response to the Libyan people ASKING for our help. He walks softly and carries a big stick.

March 24, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  43. Steve

I don't know. The idea of engaging NATO to deal with it as opposed to just diving in, guns blazing is certainly a different approach..I would imagine that getting an understanding of an obviuosly quickly changing situation would be difficult..Ask Newt, he seemed to have it right, both times....

March 24, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
  44. Andrew- Regina, SK

Considering on what Muammar Ghadaffi is capable of, I think that we have been told the truth on the information that should be avaliable. I think that if nothing was done at this point, it would be remniscient of the Rwandan Genocide where almost a million people were killed within a year, only instead of ethnic tensions, it's opposition tensions.

March 24, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
  45. Atlas

Yes. I believe that the government is lying about the reasons for intervention in Libya. As with Iraq and Afghanistan, this are undeclared wars, with no direct benefit for the American people. The effect on the average American is to see higher taxes, higher food prices, and higher oil prices. I haven't figured out why Libya was more important than Burma, when the Buddhists were being slaughtered by the government there. Once again, corporate warmongers, or the military industrial complex is dragging the United States into another quagmire. Finally, it seems plausible that the Libya intervention is a distraction from our own bleek economic problems; inflation, unemployment, and the continued giveaways to the bankers and their cronies.

Soon enough, the regime change, preceded by massive civil disturbance will transpire right here on American soil.

March 24, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
  46. Cal Al

I think we've been told as much as possible without telling the crazy man what's going on as well. "Instant gratification" has become a habit. Give our forces a chance to do this and don't demand too much too soon. I really wish congress-little c- would listen to the 70 percent of the American people who are all for this mission!

March 24, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
  47. Nina Fox

Told the truth? You must be joking! “We the People” have not been told the truth since the dark ages. We were told our country was in jeopardy because of Communism during the Vietnam war. We were told Iraq had WMDs. We were told that Al-Qaeda was in Afghanistan. All was a bunch of lies in order to fight bi-proxy wars for global corporations and special interest groups. Why would Libya be any different? Both President Eisenhower and President Kennedy warned Americans of the grave implications with the existence of the ’military industrial complex’ They were both correct. With fear from the ‘hostile ideology concept’ and over 60 cents on the dollar attributed to our Military and defense contractors…. We have arrived!

March 24, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  48. Jahi

No. I do not believe the average American has been told the truth about the undeclared war in Libya.

I believe that the government is misleading an ill-informed public on Libya. As with Iraq and Afghanistan, these are undeclared wars, with no direct benefit for the masses of American people. The effect on the average American is to see higher taxes, higher food prices, and higher oil prices. I haven't figured out why Libya was more important than Burma, when the Buddhists were being slaughtered by the government there. Why not invade Saudi Arabia?

Once again, the military industrial complex is dragging the United States into another quagmire. It seems plausible that the Libyan War is a distraction from our own bleek economic problems; inflation, unemployment, and the continued giveaways to the bankers and their cronies.

March 24, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  49. Gail, Plano TX

Truth? That is a word in Washington D.C. that does not exist, in either real life, or Webster's dictionary. Democracy is another word that is not applicable to our government. Now, on the other hand, Lies, deception, fraud, those words describe Washington perfectly!

March 24, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  50. Benn Raines

I think we've been told the truth to the same degree that we're told the truth about anything. We're told whatever our elected leadership, and their cozy partnerships with big business deem suitable for us to know.

March 24, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
  51. Ralph Nelson

Yes. A town the size of Seattle, Washington was faced with extermination and the US and its allies under UN approval stepped in at the last moment to stop it. The rest is hogwash.

March 24, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
  52. Karl in Mich

Of late, Capital Hill has become as much of a nut house as Qaddafi's hideouts and not in just this instance. If Congress had been listening to the President instead of running off at the mouth, they would know what is going on there, too. I feel I've been told as much as can be safely told in this situation. Oil instability is as much a threat to us as any military challenge.

March 24, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  53. ....Chaney..... La.

We have a coalition of nations here..... the US is the only nation with the military capability to do such a mission....this is a very complicated tedious situation so I doubt that we are being told everything......really........ Moammar would know too......

March 24, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  54. Gigi Oregon

In today's world we don't need the government or the media to know the truth, we just get on the phone and call family, friends and acquaintances to find out what is going on in Libya. The Libyans want to live in a free society as they THINK Americans do. You the media cause more trouble for both countries by your assumptions on both our government and the news analysts. The first question I asked my son-n-law was, what does your family want to happen? Simple as that. Some days he can't get through but when he does we know a more accurate assumption. With cell phones, skype, face book, and twitter who needs the media.

It would better if the media reported the news than trying to create it. Also if the media respected the President so would we the people. If government leaders respected each other that could also rub off on us.

March 24, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  55. wendy

Jack there is a big difference in waging a war on another Country & being part of a coalition enforcing a no fly zone to protect civilians.This is unlike the Iraq war which was begun by the U.S, based on lies & not supported by many allies. I think The U.S should be assisting & is only one part of a large Global effort.

March 24, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  56. Charlie

Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan, Immigration, Jobs, the National debt, Healthcare, NAFTA and CAFTA. We know as much as they want us to know. Is that enough? No. When was the last time any politician has been forthright and truthful? We are not that priviledged of a nation to have leaders that are straight forward. Using some words of Jack Nicholson, " We can't handle the truth." Good day.

March 24, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  57. Bill in South TX

Jack,
    Perhaps it is time to let the international energy corporations hire the mercenaries, at their own expense, to do their bidding in Libya.

Truth? What is that; a press release by BP, Shell, Murdoch, etc., for their own agenda? Climate change is truth but is treated like a debatable opinion. We do not deal in truth just our favorite self-serving opinions. The law of gravity too has its non-believers.

The U. S. military should not be involved in Libya, Iraq nor Afghanistan. Just an opinion to save our budget and country.

March 24, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  58. smickelson

Why doesn't CNN have a commentator or politician who was an adult in 1986 without a convenient loss of or lack of memory? Comparing the current bombing in Libya with those on Iraq is like comparing apples and oranges. A more accurate comparaison of Obama's UN sanctioned action would be with that of Reagan's 1986 ordered bombing of Libya, which though not UN sanctioned, was not criticized by members of Congress, though most of the world and NATO were against Reagan's Operation El Dorado Canyon incursion.

March 24, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  59. Linda Bergthold

I believe we have been told what we needed to know, given the need to keep some of this information private for purposes of diplomacy. Anyone who has followed this on Twitter or elsewhere on the internet could find out quite a lot. I trust the President to tell us what we need to know, as we need to know it.

California

March 24, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  60. Marc

I don't know if we've been told the truth – but either way I wish we'd finally get the war powers issue figured out so we don't have to go through this same debate with every new president.

March 24, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  61. Chris Hagedorn

Jack, i say we are being told the truth. This plays out very similar to Operation El Dorado Canyon in April of 86 and i firmly believe we are being told the truth about it. The only thing i dont agree with is not going after Gadhafi. We need to go in there all out and get him.

March 24, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  62. Ian - Boise Id,

Yes i do. And Obama has not acted unilaterally. Unilateral: noun: To act alone on any action. Since we are acting with a coalition including Britain and France, and since France made the first strike, Obama has not broken the Constitution and has my trust that he has not lied.

March 24, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  63. Gary H. Boyd

What Obama has said in the past has no relationship to what he says in the present. While in the Senate Joe Biden said the President does not have the authority to authorize military action without the consent of Congress unless America is under attack or that an attack is anticipated and that he would move to impeach a President that did so. But, like Obama, that was then and this is now. Both of these guys are hypocrits. No, we haven't been given the whole story - not by a long shot.

Gary in Scottsdale, Arizona

March 24, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  64. fran

I don't feel like we get anything from our president and his administration but lies and an agenda that has done everything possible to degrade America and those who stand by her...and, I don't like having things that are unfair and unconstitutional forced down my throat!

March 24, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  65. Jan From DE

I trust my President to make proper decisions. I do not think he would lie to us like George W Bush did about Iraq. There may be some things that cannot be divulged at this time for security reasons. We'll just have to wait for another Obama book to find out !!!

March 24, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  66. Mike D

When it comes to the truth you have to look at your watch. Each hour the truth changes from this White Hourse as to what CNN reporters actually see happening on the ground. There still is no clue as to what the Obama strategy is.

March 24, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  67. George Simons

Obviously we have been lied to, and sadly enough, the change I supported has ended up being a puff of smoke in the air by an articulate speaker. I virtually have no trust in anything our leader now says, and I so wanted to believe.

March 24, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  68. Linda in Arizona

Obama is a professional liar. He's lied or reversed himself on everything he ran on. Of course, he's lying now. Do you have to ask?

March 24, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  69. Jacque (Oregon)

Who's truth Jack? Which version?
    I'm so sick and tired of the polarizing positionings that are so counter-productive and only contribute to the divisiveness and partisanism.
    I'd give just about anything, and probably will, to see some attempts, any cooperation in the direction of solving problems, rather than stalemate everything. And sensationalizing by the media only perptuates and contributes to the psychological warfare that I would love to see "ceasefire".

March 24, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  70. jim wachowski

Jack...I've read enough Tom Clancy novels especially the new (1st part) and others in the genre to know that there is more than meets the eye. You know Don't ask...well dont ask...

jim, bolingbrook, IL

March 24, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  71. Jacob from Tennessee

I think they aren't even telling each other the truth, much less the people.
    This whole situation is a mess that we should have known better than to get into.
    I would like to add i think we shouldn't supply rebels with weapons if we leave.
    We don't even really know who the rebels are, and who will take over if the
    rebels win. Who knows it could be someone worse than Gadhafi himself.

March 24, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  72. truthiness69

Does it matter? To me, they are all just trying to politicize this thing. We were watching people being slaughtered on our TVs. Qaddafi has to be stopped. Who else but us can do it? Almost everyone I know personally is on board with it: we've got an old grudge against Qaddafi. They need to have their meeting and decide the semantics of it, then get out of the way and let the world's finest military do what it does. I personal feel more satisfied with the decision to stop Qaddafi than I did to invade Iraq. It's just politics as usual. Obama as a candidate didn't know what Obama as president knows.

March 24, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  73. kevin

Of course we're being lied to. Name one politician who hasn't lied. If you want the truth about politics go watch Comedy Central.

March 24, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  74. Waye of Arvada Colorado

After reading all the comments, I have to wonder if i am still living in the country where I was born. Jack I don't feel we were lied to, but having been in the military and served with NATO, I am supprised that they are able to get anything accomplished. Hey, why don't we go back to the pre 30's and just take care of america??? Isolationism??? Naw, then we would be in a war after about 11 years just like we did back then. Ahh history repeats itself, over and over.

March 24, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  75. Renee Peoria,Ill

Have we been told straight out what this is all about? No. Do we know what this is about? Yes. It's called light sweet crude oil. If this was just about humanitarianism the U.S. and the U.N. would be in half the countries in the middle east by now.

March 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  76. Patti from Utah

Jack, yes I do feel I've been told the truth! Gaddafi has been doing this to his own people for years, but it has become much more "public" recently. This man must be stopped, he is in the same category as Hitler, Mussolini, etc. These questions about whether or not we should be involved is disturbing. What if the shoe were on the other foot? I would hope the UN would come to our rescue! It's all POLITICS, and it makes me sick!

March 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  77. david bidlack

yes! beats the lies that bush and chaney told about the iraq war! the president said no fly zone no boots on the ground and we will be out as soon as the no fly zone is in place.

March 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  78. Steve D

I don't think the law says the president has to tell me the truth. It does say he needs congresses approval to do so. My real concern is Who are the protestor's? Are they any better than Khaddafi?

Come on Jack. We have all seen the different way we handle countries with oil and those without. No one has ever told me its all about oil but I know the real TRUTH.

Steve D
    New Windsor, Maryland

March 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  79. Matthew Yurvati

As i see it Jack its politics as usual , we hear one view then another sometimes depending on party lines remember there are a lot of things going on behind closed doors , information that needs to remain classified , I just hope someone knows what is really going on and has an answer as to exaclty what the end solution will be ,im going to trust that the people in charge have the correct information they need , Matt ,Allentown Pa.

March 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  80. patrick harvey

I think we have been told all we need to know. This crisis for the Libyan people is just that a crisis, and and subject to time constraints We don't need a lot of Q and A with our president quaffing up what they are clearly trying to resolve quickly.

March 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  81. roc from selkirk

The last time we were told the TRUTH from our government concerning war or conflicts or "no fly zones" was when FDR told us that we were at war with Japan in 1941. every thing since then has always had a "spin" on it to make us "feel good" about killing people and blowing up whatever we (U.S.A.) damn well felt like.

March 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  82. James Devine

We are being told anything but the truth. We
    learned in the the Vietnam era, the George Bush I
    era, the Kosovo era, and the George Bush II era
    that we are told whatever is needed to justify acts
    of war. We find out bits of the truth later. But the
    soldiers who die in these ventures are dead and
    they are not coming back. It seems our leaders
    don't really trust us!

March 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  83. Dave H

I sure do feel that we have been told the truth. Before we took that action there were all kinds of pressures from conservatives in this country to "Do Something". A no fly zone was at the top of the list. So an international coalition is pulled together to enforce a no fly zone and both the UN & the Arab League establish that zone.

So what's the problem? Some don't like us getting involved, others just look for cheap shots (in anticipation of 2012).

Obama did the right thing – and he has been truthful about it.

March 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  84. Frank T

Our nation's leaders have become little more than the willing puppets of the globalists. That's why almost nothing our so-called elected representatives do seems to fit with what the American people really want or begin to comply with our Constitution. Welcome to the loss of our nation's sovereignty and the New World Order.

March 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  85. MaddyDaddy

Well Jack,
    Im a Mad American Dad! 90% of the people in America. "Cant handle the truth". Our politicians would all be out of a job ...I guess thats not a bad thing! Clean Sweep. We'll hear the real truth on Libya in about 10 years...If were all still here! I vote " NO-MO-bama! The era of taking care of our people, and our Western Culture, needs to start...like yesterday. How bad does it have to get, people the American people unite. We can do the same things that they are over in the MiddleEast. Who's gonna stop us? Obama clearly doesnt have a clue. Oh yeah, its all a master plan, he is just a puppet anyways for the money hoards. Im sure you wont post this on the air...but boy, it really is true isnt it Jack!.
    Thanks
    MaddyDaddy, , Mi

March 24, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  86. Debbie Bird

Yes, I feel that we have been told the truth from President Obama. He has handled this situation very well. He didn't jump into Libya as soon as John Kerry or John McCain would have liked. He did wait, as a member of NATO, for a decision made together. What is wrong with that? We are so used to bullying our way around, that we have had a hard time living with a President who wants to work with others in this world crisis. He has not declared war, so what he has done is legal....and what other presidents during my 61 years of life have all done.

March 24, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  87. ErrolnDC

I cannot understand how an intelligent person can compare sending military support for the No-Fly Zone over Libya to military actions in Iraq and Afganistan... When everyone was clamoring for a NFZ, Secretary Gates left everyone know that it would involve taking on a multitude of associated targets. So far I have seen nothing to lead me to think we are invading Libya. I think we arre doing what we said we would do...

March 24, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  88. Keith in Calgary

I believe that the officials have been telling the truth. I also believe that the media is ensuring that the public is so confused they don't know whats going on. If the media would hear what is being said, instead of trying to show that it knows more than anyone, then maybe we could get a real sense of what is happening. Support what the countries are already in, instead of acting like politicians and just want to blur the issues.

March 24, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  89. Leslye

With the news coming from so many different sources, and the clear statement of the US goals, I'm satisfied it's at least a close approximation of the truth. Some folks continue to play silly games twisting that truth, of course.

March 24, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  90. Rick in California

The president DID consult congress. Both sides of the isle. John Boehners buddies just neglected to tell him because they wanted it to happen as much as anybody else. Newt even wanted it but when his party busted him for speaking out for it he waffled and came out with a completely different story. typical republican response. 2 faces and both ugly.

March 24, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  91. Wade

In short, yes we have been told the truth. Gaddafi forces were going to wipe out the populations of several cities and the US helped stop it. I don't see any ambiguity here! As far as the question of direct threat to the US, do I really have to remind you of all the terrorist plots launched by the Gaddafi regime? Of all the conflicts we're in right now- THIS ONE is most certainly justified.

March 24, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  92. Eddy

Yes, I do feel I am being told the truth because so far there are basic undeniable facts that everyone is aware of. 1.Kadhaffi is indeed killing his people. 2.Kadhaffi continues killing his people 3.Kadhaffi is a ruthless dictator. What I disagree is the provocative way in which Jack asks this question by comparing the current events with the actions carried out by Bush on Iraq. They are not the same except on the fact that both heads of state were dictators. There were no revolts in Iraq at the time. Saddam wasn't killing his people at the time. Furthermore, this has been a concerted world action with the approval of the UN and its security council unlike the Iraq invasion.

March 24, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  93. AB

Yes, Jack, I feel that President Obama has told the truth about Libya and even stated that regime change is in fact, U.S. Policy. However, Obama advised the public and key members of Congress of both Democratic and Republican parties that the U.N. Security Council's endgame is to protect Libyian civilians by suppressing ProGadafy forces and taking out military support and weapon installations. Obama clearly made the point that the U.S. role in Libya would be limited to fulfilling the goal of U.N. and not to overthrow Gadafy. Regime change is left to the rebels and the U.S. will provide weapons and training to the rebels to effect this goal.

March 24, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  94. David Webb

Jack, it's war and politics – historically there is no truth to be found in either. The problem is not that they are withholding information and the truth. At this point, it is that we continue to expect to get it.

March 24, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  95. Dee in New Paris Ohio

Jack, I don't think the government has told me the truth about ANYTHING, starting back at about the time we first sent "advisors" to Viet Nam!

IMHO most of what we are told by the government is a load of bull, and to get at the TRUTH it would probably take an act of God.

HOWEVER, I think President Obama has just as much right to send our military AS PART OF AN INTERNATIONAL EFFORT to try to protect innocent civiliand from being killed by their own govenment, as President Bush had to invade IRAQ, on the lousy intelligence he based HIS action on. At least in Libya we can all SEE on TV that Gadhafi is really a horrible person!

I also believe there is NO way the President could act without having lots of criticism. In fact, I picture the President being just about ready to pull his hair out, because so far, no matter WHAT the issue and no matter WHAT his response, he can do no right!

In fact, I can't even imagine him wanting to keep the job after his first term! I've had thankless jobs like his and I totally sumpathize!

March 24, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  96. Sylvia

President Obama isdoing a great job. Americans are fickled. Never satisfied. America's showing its true colors...again. No problem when Pres Clinton totally ignored 600,00 slaughtered Africans. Yes more answers need to be answered to the American people. But we talk way to much on the airways. Tired of our politicians "playing politics" and tired of the media behaving as a tabloid instead of real news reporting. I'm a vet, and wish we had such a hard working intelligent Commander-in-Chief when i was on active duty.

March 24, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  97. jeff Dumaine

The key word in that quote from then Senator Obama, is unilaterally, this was NOT a unilateral decision, it was a consensus reached by two organizations of which we are members, the United Nations, and NATO. There is a huge difference between joining in a humanitarian action to protect a people who actually requested the action, and invading a country for our own political ends.

March 24, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  98. Luisa

Dear Mr. Speaker of the House: what complete HYPOCRISY!! Suddenly, we have all these "tough questions" questions for the White House concerning our role in Lybia.....but why were these "tough questions" not asked when we began our war in Iraq? Why were we not tallying the cost of each missile we fired back then? Is it because suddenly we are broke? And why are we suddenly broke? Is it perhaps because we didn't pressure the White House with enough "tough questions" during the Iraq invasion? Obama simply inherited the debt, and now gets accused of acting unilaterally (that is, with the rest of the world, but not Congress, vice versa for Bush) when ultimately he is just following the American trend of getting involved militarily in the unrest in the Middle East. The difference is that this time we are reacting, whereas in Iraq we actually catalyzed the situation. There is no doubt Saddam was an inhumane leader, but despotic leaders are all over the world, and we can't possibly take them all down. I trust my president.

March 24, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  99. Kevin

What needs to happen, We need keep up the attacks with our brave Air power, Have the Arab allies, Roll there forces into Bengazzi,(they speak the language), help Arm and train these brave people, And with the help of the Air power...take this Gaddafi out in CHains, to an international court, And we can pay for this with the Billions and Billions that we have garnished from Gadaffi..then this will be over in a week..there we go..how hard is this to figure out, Are we that stupid not to figure this out..Come on use some common sense world..PLEASE!!

March 24, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  100. Tom

Jack,

I would answer your question when know-nothing pundits stop yelling fire in the public theatre of discourse and do their job as journalist with some intergrity.
    Your question is based upon a passion for ignorance. .

Good luck,
    Tom

March 24, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  101. Rick Chansui

I thought it was a U.N. action NOT a U.S. action. If that's correct then Obama is not going back on what he said but rather complying with a U.N. resolution. If we don't like that then we shouldn't have created the U.N.

March 24, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  102. Mike from West Bloomfield, MI

No. We had NOT hear the truth. And first of all from CNN. I kick myself for voting for this president. He is same warmonger as previos one.

March 24, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  103. Jeunesse Francis

Ok, wait, have we forgotten about the people of Libya? If we waited to have a "national conversation" about the United Nations resolution, Libya would be a moot point because the civilian protestors would be dead.

Everyone complains the UN has no teeth and no power, yet when member nations to the UN act to resolve a conflict, we all complain? We can't have it both ways. The world is not black and white and neither is the United States government.

We elected Obama into office, let the man do his job.

March 24, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  104. hallie

Yes, unless you are deaf and dumb. This is not Obama's war. It is UNs war and Obama is there under the approval of UN, Nato and 128 nations Including Russia and China.

He did notify Congress via Boehner of the intentions to go in. NO boots on the ground. France and Britian taking the lead.

The president can deploy troops for 60 days without congressio­nal consent, and this isn't a war, it's a no fly zone.

The President only needs Congressional approval if he seeks to declare war. Absent seeking that declaration, he can do what he wants and the only thing the Congress can do is withhold funding. This happened in Korea, Vietman, first Gulf War. Happens all the time. Bosnia, Panama, Grenada.

Since we follow the laws of the UN, Congress has basically given their permission for any military action deemed necessary by the UN. So, in that way, the War Powers Act is not violated by the President enforcing a no fly zone in Libya or anywhere else as long as it's approved by a UN resolution

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Sunday that the U.S. expects to turn control of the Libya military mission over to a coalition – probably headed either by the French and British or by NATO – "in a matter of days."

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
    – Martin Luther King Jr.

March 24, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  105. Carol Hillson

I am confident I have been told the truth about Libya being a humanitarian disaster in the making because everything I have been told matches the things I have seen for myself via social media by various people living inside Libya, including Mohammed Nabbous, citizen journalist who was murdered by the Gaddafi Regime on March 19. Mo set up the first ever Free Libya TV live stream from Libya on Feb 19, Libya Al Hurra.

BTW, everything I found first on YouTube, twitter and Al Ahurra – turned up as "breaking news" days and weeks later than it first surfaced online. Having the reporters come in and "confirm" was part of the process that helped me trust this new experience of FREE PRESS. Social media makes it possible to check all the facts with multiple sources easily. Its very empowering.

March 24, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  106. A. in DFW

Governments never tell the truth.

March 24, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  107. David in Dallas

The American people are never told the truth about anything by our government. Barack Obama is a politician. He says a lot of things that people want to believe in order to get elected. Once in the White House, he ignores his "platform" and does exactly what his puppeteers desire; they being Wall St., the Pentagon, the Corporations and their lobbyists. And the next guy who gets elected will do the same thing – whether he is a republican or democrat. This government is broken and needs a complete overhaul.

March 24, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  108. Ray from Idaho

Yes, but I don't think that's the issue at least not for Obama. The main factor that differentiates the situation in Libya from those of Iraq/Afghanistan is that Obama didn't make unjust claims about the situation on the ground and take a "shoot first ask questions later" approach like bush did. Obama was stuck between a rock and a hard place. If he didn't act he would have taken responsibility for not acting, but he knew acting would bring its own repercussions as well. He did something that bush never did, which was to ASSESS THE SITUATION. He knew whatever course he took would never make everyone happy, but at the end of the day he did what was right for the Libyan people, and what was right morally. I hate how the GOP is turning this into a political football by quoting statements out of context and claiming he declared war. He did what he needed to do. So yes I believe we are getting the truth but the source of the information matters a lot in this case. The administration has done the best it can to be as transparent as possible.

March 24, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  109. Barbara Teixeira - Las Vegas, NV

How can we possibly know if we are being told the truth about Libya or about anything at this point? Let's be honest; we are only told what our government wants us to know. So no, I don't think we are being told the truth about Libya.

I am very concerned that our President ordered air strikes against Libya without consulting Congress. That is a really big problem! American citizens were not in danger here. Our President certainly has a double standard: it's not okay for any other President to do this, but it's okay If he does it? What else will he decide to do without consulting Congress? I think that's the real concern here! Scary!

March 24, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  110. Keenan Bock

Absolutely. The US is one of the major players in the UN security council whose mission is to maintain international peace and security and to restore it when it breaks down. This is exactly what we're doing and as a minor player; France and Britain have been vying for the main role in this situation. Besides, the Rwandan genocide in 1994 made the US look callous for not intervening and allowing hundreds of thousands of people to be slaughtered. I only wish that something would be done in Sudan, but it is clear that the US has "interests" in Libya. Also, President Obama is not the only person making the decision; he makes the final call. There are dozens of people and agencies advising him including the CIA, FBI, and NSA; all of which do not give information to Congress.

Hamden, CT

March 24, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  111. Joe Iorio, Norco, Ca

Jack,

Truth? Are you kidding? I believe very little of what is reported. I do believe this, fight or don't fight. Stop doing things half way. If a leader needs to be removed, remove him/her period. Stop endangering our troups by doing things half way. Don't take a knife to a gun fight! Bomb them until the last weapon is layed on the ground and the only thing they are holding is a white flag. Then we can play the political hide behind the desk game of asking if we should be there. I did not vote for this president, but I may do so, the next time around.

Joe

March 24, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  112. Najeemdeen Yusuff

Jack, we do not have to politicize this issue. What truth do we still need? We were all aware of the situation in Libya and is not an issue that involve the USA only. It is really a global effort to save the life of thousands of Libyans from dictatorship and human slaughter. We just have to live up to our responsibility as American if we still want to maintain our status in the world.

March 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  113. Kevin in Rocklin CA

Key to this answerer, there is no mobile piece of equipment in the military inventory now or on the drawing board for the next 50 years that does not require fuel oil to run. This action and all the action in the past 10+ years has been vital to Americas interest.

March 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  114. janice pockrandt

Yes, as much as the adm. can tell due to security reasons. Why didn't the republicans ever question Bush's lies about WMD's which were never there or why a war that was supposed to last 3 months hasn't been completed 8 years later at a cost of trillions of $$ when we were told it would cost nothing. By the way, what was our objective in invading Iraq.

March 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  115. Jim

Absolutely not, the obvious lie that NATO would be right there to pick up the fight was just one of the many lies we have been told about our reasoning for attacking Libya.

Of course we get the bad government we voted into office, so we got the kind of leaders we obviously want to have, worthless politicians.

March 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  116. Prince of Peoples America

No we have not been told the truth. Once you realize they're lies, you can actually see and hear the truth they are trying to cover up.

Looking at the desperateness of the Rebels and how normally anti-western people keep running to the U.S with stories of what's going on.. shows they saying what they need to in order to get help.

Tripoli was in peace before the coalition just put it in ruins.. Now instead of some cities being destroyed..ALL of them are getting destroyed 3x worse.

March 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  117. Robert N Hatley

I was shaking my head NO when this first started. We have no business, no agenda (at least none I know of) in Libya! We have no reason to be there, let them have their civil war (if that is what it is) amongst themselves and we should just stay out of their business. Obama is in way over his head. And should have never gotten involved. I'm so confused about our government's view of world domination right now. This whole Arab/Muslim shack up tells me we should sit back and let things happen, it's there problem to resolve their own problems. And we should stay out of it!!!!

March 24, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  118. Nick Easton

I believe ever word of what my government is telling me about Libya, and that's the truth.

March 24, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  119. Nate

The truth? The president did everything besides saying ok, get ready Gaddafi here we come. People complained before about him making 'empty' threats against Libya, but when his tactics materialized into a 'multi lateral' coalition, all the sudden he's going off on his own doing things against the constitution. Pay attention, rewind your dvr's. He said that a 'uni lateral' operation would be against the constitution, this is not the case.

March 24, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  120. Ruben in Oregon

Yes. The truth is that we assisted in stopping a massacre. The only problem is that Obama hurt some "feelers" in congress. Still, he saved human life and that was the goal.

Obama's actions also bought time for America to debate whether to take this to another level. Qaddafi; in or out of power, is the next question.

If we, you and I, choose not to spend money and/or human resource in another war, so be it. However, we now have time to decide. Thankfully we do not have a shoot first and ask question later, Lone Ranger in the Whitehouse anymore.

March 24, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  121. Candace Bowden

This is an unusual situation because if President Obama waited for the Congress to reach consensus on the Libyan situation, thousands of people would have died. The President has been very clear on his short term objective and I am grateful not to have to feel guilt if we had done nothing. The members of Congress should quit trying to grab the biggest headline and instead offer solutions to the economic crisis.

March 24, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  122. Jean Smith

All battle plans change upon contact with the enemy, or, it seems, the embassies. The President has given us his wishes and plans. We know where he wants to be, i.e., helpful but not overly committed. I believe that.

March 24, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  123. Tao Hoang

I think that he made clear two goals:
    1-protect civilians: he made.
    2-Khadafi must be remouved: He is getting a deal (Sec. Clinton will make a press conference shortly).
    I hope that he will accomplish.

March 24, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
  124. nancy in florida

are people ever happy? do we always have to criticize, every one always states democratic presidents dont have the balls to make tough decisions about war there to liberal. you now have a president that has shown good judgment, in this area he did what he had to do and is not dragging us in to war, if the bush administration would have done this we may not be in the debt were in today. this country sure didn't talk to bush like this did they. where were all those we cant spend no money republicans then, i am very proud of our president and i think more people need to stand up for him.

March 24, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  125. Bob

As it relates to how the goverment of Libya is treating its people yes.
    As it relates to the President aurtherizing air assaults on military targets in a country goverend by a leader whom has a history of provcation against Our Troops and way of Life yes.

March 24, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  126. Kevin

I mean look at whats happening, There arguing about whos going to be in charge,While people in Masrata are dieing..?? Lets get in Gear here, Whats wrong with people, The world is watching, EVeryone can see now, Because of Internet/I phones..We are making ourselves look stupid with all this WHos in CHarge/ What is End game stuff, Come on, EVeryone knows what needs to happen, Ghaddafi and his SOns need to go, The people need to be saved, PERIOD!! whats the hold up!! lets get our act together..The President said he has to go, Lets do this, Quit the childess squabbling..Please!!

March 24, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  127. milt

Yes, he did. This is why more and more we just don't know who to trust. Personally I think our congress are just like baby diapers and why they should be changed more often. It just seems that no matter what the president did he was gonna be not popular with the republicans. Maybe he should have speed dial Mr. Boehner and gotton his aproval.

March 24, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
  128. Josh - Winnipeg CA

A diminished truth, but a truth none the less. The Libyan people begged the U.S. to help them while their brutal dictator murdered them in the street, the U.N. decided to enforce a no fly zone and well, they did. They just did what the majority of people wanted. I'm against war and the U.S. was cause and solution in Iraq after Saddam went into hiding, but in this situation there's just cause. Let's not forget all the other countries involved in this too.

March 24, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  129. roc from selkirk

Had to send another comment having seen some of the other comments. I was in Vietnam and was a "victim" of the "nontruth" that was stuffed down our throats at that time. I am not a religious man, so I find it amazing that this "Christian" country of ours is so blind to what is going on. It's okay to kill people for FREEDOM?? I thought the religious believed in the Ten Commandments. Guess not. People, who have never been in a combat zone, have no right to say what is or is not right when it comes to taking lives for FREEDOM. This is NOT what I fought for in Vietnam. This country has been at war or in conflict for 32 of my 65 years. That is a very sad statement to make, but THAT IS THE TRUTH.

March 24, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  130. John Meissner

The truth? According to all the news outlets, we were interceding in an imminent slaughter of many Libyan people at the hands of Gaddafi. We will never know what may have happened, but Obama knew what to do. My God! How would we be discussing the situation had we not stopped Khadafi fromadvancing. When a fire is burning out of control, do we have a lengthy discussion about how to distinguish it? Or do the firemen jump on the fire to get it out safely without losing anyone. Accidents will happen. All these references about why we don't do anything in other countries that are experiencing disruptions is just media blather. Even Iraq at its time was stable before we invaded. Here in Libya the situation is critical. We have a mad man named Kadhafi(no matter how you spell the name) on the rampage. The truth you say? That's not really the question.

March 24, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  131. Ray, Boise Idaho

Yes, I think that’s why this has gotten out of hand. Take Iraq for example, the public (and probably the bush admin) knew almost nothing about the situation on the ground but we went in guns blazing anyways. And we're still there today and unless I missed the memo we still haven’t found what we were supposed to. Libya on the other hand we know much more about the situation and I'd be willing to bet we won’t be there in 8 years from now, mostly because Obama did it right he waited until we got international cooperation through UN Res 1973!

March 24, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  132. Chris-NJ

I believe we have been told the truth to an extent. For the most part the reports we are hearing are credible and believable; however, we must remember that some of the information is obscured as well. So while we probably understand the scope of the situation in Libya we may be ignorant to the exact circumstances of that scope and its implications.

March 24, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  133. justin

I feel we haven't been told the whole truth. I would like more light shed on European involvement, why certain European nations are so zealously pursuing this war. My feeling is, we're mainly being dragged into it because of obligations to them. Something about this situation is extremely worrying to them. I've heard enough harping on about this being a peacekeeping/humanitarian operation first and foremost, I seriously doubt that is the case.

March 24, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  134. Aman Madan

It's not that we have been lied to by our administration, it's that we haven't been told enough. That has been the problem since Obama first took office, he has failed to convey what the administration's plan is. Also it's not more of the lies that anger the people, it is the fisical responsibility involved that bothers the Americans the most. Frankly, we can't spend time worrying about foreign policy, when we have an unemployment rate of 9.5%. Jack, we're fighting multiple wars, we're in debt, and our unemployment rate is almost 10%., frankly we need to worry about our country first.

March 24, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  135. Dr. Eugene Williams

I think we are being told there is confusion about the mission. There shouldn't be. We support the right of people everywhere to determine their own future and to assemble and protest peacefully without the government killing and injuring them. The Libyan prople have made it clear that the vast majority of them are tired of 40 years of repressive rule and that Gadhafi must go for obvious reasons–they won't feel safe until he does. Taht is their decision–we shouldn't be talking as if it is ours. Our discussion should be how can we help them. The UN passed a resolution intended to protect civilians which enabled us to prevent a massacre in Bengazi in the nick of time. We shouldn't be limited by that, but we should be focusing on how we can legally help the Libyans, perhaps by recognizing the provisional government, as the French have, so that we can deal with them and help them. As to the cost, I'm sure the opposition would gladly agree to let us use some of Gadhafi's frozen billions for that purpose. Since much of that will be needed to rebuild the new Lybia, hopefully there could be some equitable sharing of the funds. Of couirse, other coalition forces would probably want to participate in that.

March 24, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  136. abby, Texas

It is doubtful the American public has been told everything, but I don't expect to be told "everything" in situations such as these. I do believe, however, that there is more openness in this administration about the situation than in the previous situation when we invaded Iraq searching for non-existent WMDs.

March 24, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  137. Bob in Carolina

Well Jack – the "do as I say – not as I do" has experienced the "change" as promised – it's now "we won't even do as I say – and we're not really sure what we do... " there is no end game – no one knows who's in charge and the only certainty is that we've lobbed a bunch of tomahawks into the fray at a half million a pop.. what a cluster mess and Muammar actually seems lucid compared to this behavior.

March 24, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
  138. honest John in Vermont

Can't wait for Congress of Confusion to make up it's mind–too many would die waiting for that to happen. I'm sure there are things the pulic doesn't know and rightly so when a military-op is going on. The trick here is to take down Gadhafi and come home the sooner the better.

March 24, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  139. Kevin

Im really beggining to wonder if we just need to Fire all our Congress and have all AMericans get together and Revote all new members based on Intelligence and Common sense, You have to remember that all these Senators where voted into office by the people of AMerica, SO we are to Blame to, Quit voting them in by there words, And start voting based on there actions..there doing a terrible Job in COngress, They have no right based on there horrible record of the last couple of years to even have a thought on Obama, based on there incompidence lately, they need to quit harping on Obama, and get there noses out of Other things in the World, and start consintrating on America..before they all get fired!

March 24, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  140. ArtInChicago

Yes, Jack I feel we are being told the truth, but while something is still unfolding before your eyes, the truth is dynamic, not static. I do believe the President when he says our involvement will be limited. I do believe there are things behind the scenes will be covered by the news later. I think our 24 hour news cycle is more the issue here, not the policy nor actions thus far. Only been a few days. I'm sure we take more time to plan vacations.

March 24, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  141. CCinME

Of course we're being told the truth – isn't CNN there filming it as it's happening??? I do not believe the President has mislead anyone – we are providing air support but not ground troups. If we can go into Iraq on a big fat lie then why not enforce a no-fly zone sanctioned by the UN? Seriously, if we could pick our battles then this one makes a whole lot more sense than that disaster in Iraq, and Afganistan for that matter!

March 24, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  142. MIA FARROW

YES... under the circumstances, Obama and its allies should do everything in their power to remove Gadaffi from power because as long as he is in power the killings and oppressing of his people will continue whether "openly" or "nights disapearances" of innocent people... Let's show that we are not letting those who already died for that end – to have died in vain

March 24, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  143. Chelle

If I hear one more person complain that the Obama administration is not transparent enough, I will scream. Did you seriously think that transparency included sensitive documents and diplomacy?? What kind of a fool would think that?

The reality is that politicians hold beliefs that are shot full of holes once they are in office. It's easy to say never when you don't have thousands of lives in your hands. Not to mention – President Obama did not declare war on Libya – the UN drew up a resolution to protect the people of Libya, France drew first blood. The US is helping, not leading.

March 24, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  144. Michael Stout

I trust President Obama. I think he's handled this thing like a master chess player. And I think the GOP are a bunch of crybabies.

March 24, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
  145. Claudia, Houston, Tx

I don't feel I've been told a lie, like the lie we've been living for the past years in Iraq.

March 24, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  146. Tim P

One thing I have not seen much of – actual, documented proof that he Libyan regime is deliberately targeting and attacking civilian protestors....as opposed to fighting back against an armed rebellion.

In the absence of that, I struggle as to how I can see this as anything other than taking sides in a civil war – one in which we did not particularly like the regime, and thus got involved.

If Egyptian protestors would have taken over cities with arms and Mubarak attacked them, would we have done the same thing?

March 24, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
  147. Simon

This is one of those questions that is designed to generate traffic – so I might as well join in...

Barack Obama and the US government did not "unilaterally authorize" the military action in Libya. Anyone who thinks such a thing is living under a rock. The whole No-Fly Zone notion was championed by the French and British with the US dithering in the background. Only once the Arab League and then the UN issued a resolution (after the US came to its senses) did the military intervention start.

Please stop trying to generate news that is not there!

March 24, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
  148. Maurice Reynolds

We don't get told the truth about anything when it comes from the government. Get Wolf on the ticket soon and save all the hopefuls the trouble of running. This is the only way we will hear the truth.

March 24, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
  149. Laith F. Gulli

Hi Jack

Its not about being informed–being informed already implies past tense. The American people need to be involved in the initial decision itself.

Laith, Columbus, Indiana

March 24, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
  150. soneill

This is a travesty. Obama is clearly in way over his head in so many categories. When one of those categories becomes foriegn affairs, it becomes serious, involve the military and we're talking lives. This guy has bungled so many things its almost become rediculus if only it weren't so serious. Obama's lack of experience and fortitude has led to wrecked healthcare, a wrecked economy, and very bad foreign policy. Jack, if we want the truth, as you ask if were getting, we'll have to rely on what we see, not what we hear.

March 24, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
  151. Clark1b

truth Jack? really ... for years the liberals have been telling us that truth is an individual thing .... so if that is true there are more than 300,000,000 versions of the truth just in the U.S. about this subject. Which one do you want me to use to answer your question?

March 24, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
  152. Raul, San Antonio, TX

The American public doesn't care about truth. If we did, we wouldn't let the extreme left/right of politics spew the vile rhetoric that seems to control every issue now. Even if the President was to reveal the truth, no good would come of it. The extreme left/right would just distort it and deny it. The large population who can handle the truth are too busy with work and family, so they leave it to their government to try to work it out as best they can. And sometimes in complex situations the truth just isn't good enough.

March 24, 2011 at 5:59 pm |