March 2nd, 2011

Gov. Christie: 'I could win the White House.' Do you believe him?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

There is no clear favorite for the Republican presidential in 2012 according to a recent Gallup poll.

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie
New Jersey Governor Chris Christie

No one has said they're running yet either.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is flirting with the idea of running.

Other names have been circulating for months: Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney, Sarah Palin, Tim Pawlenty, Haley Barbour, even a dark horse like U.S. Ambassador to China Jon Huntsman.

One name that is getting an increasing amount of buzz over the past few months, particularly in this climate of tough budget talk and skyrocketing debts, is New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.

The first term governor is being credited as the leader of the current wave of spending cuts to state budgets by other governors.

And because of that, a lot of Republicans want to see Christie run for President.

Christie has said repeatedly that he won't do it.

But he says that's not because he doesn't think he can win. On the contrary.

In an interview with The National Review the New Jersey Governor said: "I have people calling me and saying to me, 'Let me explain to you how you could win.' And I'm like, 'You're barking up the wrong tree. I already know I could win.' That's not the issue." Gotta love that.

Christie also said that because he's not personally ready to be president, it would only hurt the Republican Party if were elected, and the country on the whole.

Not even two years into his term, Christie says he's still learning every day.

Here’s my question to you: N.J. Governor Chris Christie: "I could win the White House." Do you believe him?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Jamie in St. Louis, Missouri:
The polls say he can. I think people are ready for a little blunt honesty but I'm not sure he's ready for the job. Obama was inexperienced and promised change and government reform that hasn't happened. Maybe Christie's the guy that can actually bring the change everybody wanted. At least he would make the campaign a lot more interesting. The current Republican field is pretty boring.

Jack in Lynwood, Washington:
Yes, this guy has elevated the art of the anti-candidate to genius level. By running a negative-ad campaign against himself for 2012 - questioning his own readiness for the presidency - Gov. Christie takes the punch out of future opponents and slots himself like a NASA landing craft into a win for the Republican nomination and White House in 2016. Super-Size the Oval Office!

Paul:
He makes me think he might already have a lot of financial support lined up if he does. But frankly, I have yet to see a decent, moderate Republican contender step up seriously to challenge for the Presidency. The only Republicans getting alot of attention are the looney ones, and they don't have the widespread appeal needed to win. I have a feeling we haven't seen the true GOP candidate yet.

Mark in Voorhees, New Jersey:
Gov. Christie has done a great job of beginning to clean up the obvious morass that is New Jersey politics. He has only been there for two years, so he is hardly qualified to run the country. It is so obvious that even he thinks so. But as an electorate, we are colossally stupid, witness the support for the half-term Governor Palin.

Adam in Indiana:
I would say no. I do not think that Washington could handle a non corrupt politician. He is one straight forward and honest man. He just hasn't been bought out by the lobbyist yet.

Harry in Whiting, Maine:
He has his pluses and his minuses. His positive is that all his positions fit on a bumper sticker His negative is a picture of him wouldn't fit on the side of a bus.

Filed under: White House
  1. Ralph Nelson

I have found the man to be very immature. I think anybody including Glen Beck could be elected President in the far right environment we are in. It's only time before we have a dictator from the right.

March 2, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  2. bob in florida

No, plus I don't think his ego would survive losing.

March 2, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  3. Mark in BC

Hell yea he could win. People like him because he tells it like it is, "we're screwed" if we don't change our ways, i.e. spending and deficit. We need an adult in the WH, not a man-child.
    Thanks,
    Mark

March 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  4. Stella-Northern New York

Hi Jack. I'm a registered Democrate but I do vote for the person I think is the best man irregardless of party. I will admit that I do have my eye on Governor Christie. If he can bring a million manufacturing jobs home (President Obama and the Congress could do that now if they wanted to-to hell with free trade and globalization) I would indeed vote for him. I do not want my tax dollars to pay for "innovation" only to have american corporations take that "innovation" to China and build it there and sell it here. So yes if Governor Christie can find a way to put Americans back to work I would seriously consider voting for him.

March 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  5. Sylvia from San Diego

Yes..... He's got my vote!! Time for real change....

March 2, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  6. Janet, Canada

The eye of newt and toads feet reading is cloudy! But, heck let her cast a spell!

March 2, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  7. Tina Tx

Keep thinking positive Christie. I don't vote Republican but if you promise & make law term limits for all elected officials I would vote for you.

March 2, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  8. Gail Albers

I hope not! He cares not one iota for the working class American. He has no remorse when it comes to cutting funds for education and social programs while allowing corporate America in his state continue their questionable practices. It is time the middle class wakes up or people like Christie will run our country into the 19 century view of the American worker. Our sole purpose will be to work long hours for little pay while the rich continue to get richer.

March 2, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  9. Paul P.

March 2, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  10. Meg from Troy, Ohio

Jack–
    It's easy to make a statement like that when you've already publicly said numerous times that you're not going to run. Why say it? Unless you really do plan to run and you're pretty impressed with yourself. This kind of statement tells me that he's not ready to run.

March 2, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
  11. Herman Portland OR

Yes, Because what he has said and done has worked for his state of New Jersey and would also work the majority of the American people. He also has sown he has excellent leasdership skills and does well with the media.

March 2, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  12. Dennis north Carolina

NO, does the godfather live in Maine, Jack?????

March 2, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  13. Paulette in Dallas,PA

Don't believe him. He could not even win a Sentate seat in his own state.

March 2, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
  14. Remo, from beautiful downtown Pflugerville Texas

Jack, it's too early to tell for anyone. As long as he doesn't pick Palin to run with, maybe......

March 2, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  15. Ajay

I honestly i don't think so because history shows that republicans always pick the candidate they "tolerate"(John McCain,+Bob Dole) not idolize. Another reason why is because a poll showed that Obama would beat Christie in NJ by 15%. If he can't win his home state what makes him think that he'll win the presidency???

March 2, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  16. Adam Simi Valley, CA

I think by the time 2012 rolls around and we have witnessed a couple more years of Obama destruction of our country, anyone not namned Palin will have a decent shot at winning. I think there is enough voter's remorse out there that Obama should be a one-term President

March 2, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  17. Donald in CA

I think i remember donald trump saying the same thing. If he did win i dont think you will see him jogging up the steps to Air Force One.

March 2, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  18. Jim

Yes. No doubt a Republican will win in 2012 and if he's the nominee he will win. It doesn't mean we will be better off though especially if you are one of those American workers who go to work and get your hands dirty.

March 2, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  19. calaurore9

Refreshing. A smart honest funny guy who admits he's not yet ready to be President. He has strength of conviction and common sense. This Democrat says ' Please run '. In 2016.

Carol in Northampton, MA

March 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  20. Jenny from Nanuet, NY

No. His tough-guy persona will get real old real fast, and the fact that he's not a "Birther" means he'll never win the nomination anyway. Only an extreme RWer can win the nomination and then lose to Obama.

March 2, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
  21. JP Jones

Just don't know this guy well enough...and that is enough of a reason to not vote for him. He talks really big...but then let's face it, so does Sarah Palin. Another good reason he doesn't interest me...Sarah Palin. He sounds a lot like her....what I have heard him say. Big talk is cheap! God help us! Let us please consider a man or woman that we know and trust. I don't know my next door neighbor well enough yet to vote for him for president! And I can see him from my house!

March 2, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  22. Addie

from the Jersey Shore

He probably could, be nominated, considering what the GOP has to offer, but then, so could Snookie..

March 2, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  23. Bill in South TX

Jack,
    Chris Christie, of course could win, the White House in 2012 or 2016. All he needs to do is review the list of requirements from the Wall Street bankers, U. S. Chamber of Commerce, Rupert Murdoch, and the Koch Brothers et.al. Then he can meet with them and sell his ability to accomplish their goals and help with their list of approved congressional candidates. They may want to see his record as Gov. of New Jersey. It is not yet time to rely on what any politician actually says.

March 2, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  24. Richard C.

He should run and could win. He is not in the pocket of the unions, he tells the truth, and he is not a community organizer. Those are three good reasons why we need him.

March 2, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  25. Tom from Houston Texas

Under normal circumstances, no. But things haven't been 'normal'
    for years. I think the country is ready for and needs his 'no nonsense
    approach'. It's almost like when mom has Dad, when he gets home from work,spank a child when
    they stray from the path. Then we can elect someone who loves us again. There are a bunch of whooopins due first!

March 2, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  26. Mr. D

Hats off to Christie. At least he admits that he does not have the experience to run for president. Too bad a number of other people do not feel that way. But then again, who says you need experience to run for president? What a country.

March 2, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
  27. Sam in Florida

I sincerely hope not; God help us!

March 2, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  28. Elaine`

Yes, he would win. I hope he doesn't run. We need him in New Jersey!

March 2, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
  29. lisa dreyer

YES! He's a straight talker that sees the truth and has a plan to balance his state's budget – I'm glad his rational ideas are spreading!

March 2, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
  30. Mikein NJ

It is highly doubtful that Christie could come even close to winning the Presidency. However, he would make the debates interesting. 🙂

March 2, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
  31. Jim

Obama won that goes to prove nothing is impossible. I would support Gov. Christie.

March 2, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
  32. Lucy

Dear Jack:
    I do think Chris Christie could win the White House. He is a smart and effective leader; exactly what we need.

March 2, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
  33. KH

Chris Christie cannot win the White House. Just because someone talks tough (often uninformed) does not make him a qualified candidate to lead this country.

March 2, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
  34. J in Georgia

After President Obama's second term, I think Governor Christie could win, but not in 2012.

March 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  35. Scott G

Jack,

I've seen at least one early poll that puts him ahead of all the other possible candidates for President. Chris Christie would get my vote.

March 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  36. Alex Landi

The way things are going under Obama, almost any Republican could win. Christy would get all the "anyone but Obama" votes. That should be enough.

March 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  37. Diane

If it would mean that Governor Christie would no longer be governor of NJ, I think it would be an excellent idea for him to run for president. Can you tell that I'm a retired public employee?

March 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  38. Mark

He'd get my vote. For that matter even Jack the Ripper would get my vote these days.

March 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  39. Johny in Claremont, CA

The G.O.P. could run Jesus and the twelve disciples and they couldn't beat Barack Obama. His numbers are still strong and barring a Jimmy Carter like Iran fiasco, he is a shoo-in.

March 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  40. David Shelly

I like his candor but no he does not have either the bona fides or thge tact or quite frankly the intellect to be President!!

March 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  41. Alan Ferguson

How refreshing would it be if Chris Christie did win. Finally someone who could get something done. The best thing to happen to New Jersey since casino gambling. A refreshing politician who tells it like it is.

March 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  42. Gigi Oregon

No! after reading his bio, I would run from him. The Republican Party is full of candidates that are full of themselves. Anyone of them would bankrupt the country in two years. So far after the last Republican run we have become around the world # 1... only in Bloopers. Scary isn't it.

March 2, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  43. philip weisman

yes ,after obamas whole eight years term.He is good but there is nothing better than the same president in 2012,even Bush had his whole eight.

March 2, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  44. Mark

He can not win right now, but in 6 years he could. The policies he is deploying must prove that they can work before the skeptical public would buy into it on a national level
    Mark
    Westford, ma

March 2, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  45. George Coles

Of course he could win. He's the only person, other than the governor of Indiana who has shown he's willing to take the steps necessary to balance the budget. He's also not lost the confidence and appreciation of the public in NJ.

March 2, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  46. lee tsuris

Jack – This just some more of your "east coast boosterism." And Christie, who may be a good man, is just like the other Republicans – you never hear a word out of their mouths that considers the plight of the disadvantaged, the poor, or the "unmonied." They always run to be "King of the Republicans" – never President of all the people!

March 2, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  47. Brian MN

He needs to stay in New Jersey. Not even two months ago he was hated for going out of town while NJ was buried in snow. 6 months from now his tough budget could blow up in his face. The grass is always greener on the other side of Presidential picks. Right now he's simply a fad.

March 2, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  48. Alex in Richmond, Va.

Jack, the only way he could "win" the White House is if Hasbro finds a place for it on the "Monopoly" board!

March 2, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  49. Murali

Instead of glamorizing Chris Chistie, why don't journalists confront him about his irresponsible budget cuts that are setting NJ schools on a race to the bottom? Do you really want the same policies he has implemented in NJ to be the law of the entire country?

March 2, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  50. Martin in Florida

At least he is doing something about the budget problem in N.J Our President has done nothing about or financial problem in the 2 years in office.

March 2, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  51. Zack in CT

I would sincerely hope that Gov. Christie would not run, much the same way I hope Gov. Palin won't either. Ron Paul is the man who needs to replace the "obam-ination" currently running our country into the ground

March 2, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  52. dee

You Bet Christie could win, we need someone like him that can get in your face and tell you like it is. Go Christie...

March 2, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  53. Steve D

He's the best Republican out there. As a democrat fed up with the NO CHANGE Obama, and one who has voted independently in the past, I would switch to vote for him or maybe even Donald Trump but if its Sarah Palen, Obama's a lock.

Steve D
    New Windsor, Maryland

March 2, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  54. Frank W.

What Christie has done thus far is simple, given the sad financial state in N.J. it was a "no-brainer" to Just say NO to anything and everything. As for his unwillingness to run for the W.H., he realizes he'd have difficulty passing the physical.

Frank W., Riverhead, N.Y.

March 2, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  55. Alvin

He's just another politician in a country that needs leadership not more politics. I would think that acquiring the presidency in such an upside down situation would not be a desire of anyone. Political parties should not pick their politicians to run for president . The people should. This would eliminate another "good ol boy" from being elected.

March 2, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  56. Al- Phila

Not only could he win but he would have the guts to do what our current president and congress are not willing to do. Christie proved that common sense and an unwillingness to ignore the coming economic train wreck are enough motivation to get the job done and deal with our debt. This next election will not be about political parties but getting the right people in the right seats so that America can be what it used to be... a place of opportunity and hope.

March 2, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  57. Name*Mark Mercerville NJ

Gov. Christie has turned this state around and given me new hope in politicians.If anyone can beat Obama it would be him.

March 2, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  58. Dan K

Chris Christie is just a cocky man. If you can win, then run. The reason you won't run is because the job is to big for him. Sure he is doing a great job in New Jersey, that's great. But not all states have the same issues. Gov Christie, I will applaud that job your doing in New Jersey, but you would not win the Presidency because your right, your not ready because you don't know the difinition of being humble yet.

March 2, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  59. Randy

I think Obama will be tough to beat, so he may be a bit unrealistic in his assessment as to winning the White House. It is refreshing however, that he seems to understand that experience must be a prerequisite to a legitimate run at the highest office in the land..unlike a certain former Alaskan governor.

March 2, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  60. Renee Peoria,Ill

NO! I'd sooner vote for the bubble-head, Palin.

March 2, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  61. Andy Lory

Chris Christie must be a pretty smart guy and may make a good president some day because he knows that a run against President Obama in 2012 is a futile act. Obama has once again captured the imagination of America with his measured and mature approach to domestic and foreign affairs. 2016 is the earliest possibility for Gov. Christie. He knows it and is intelligent enough to bide his time.

March 2, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  62. Barb Peters

Chris Christie will be lucky to win re-election as Governor of NJ. If he thinks he can win the presidency he's delusional.

Barb in NJ

March 2, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  63. otto borden

No christie could not win he is hiding something about his past he does not want to come out and i also think he knows he could not handle the responsibility of President of the United States not even close as good as Obama has done under Obama its slow but it is better than where we were in the country before he came to office. Remember, the President of this country is the most powerful man in the free world. Christie is just a governor he doesn't qualify.

March 2, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  64. Arlene, Illinois

He was here in Illinois last week trying to steal some Companys
    for his state , lets probe a little deeper into the way he's
    handling his own state financal situation before we make
    him the next Sarah Palin.

March 2, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  65. LW

No he can not win.

March 2, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  66. Bill from Kansas City

No, in fact I don't think that any Republican presidential candidate will have any luck in the near future. The problem is not so much Governor Christie, as it is that the Republican Party. The G.O.P. will find itself having a hard time appealing to the independent voter, because of its segment of radicals. Especially when many conservative politicians continue to associate themselves to the more radical tea-partiers.

March 2, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  67. Simon/Orlando

He's got my vote. One of the few guys standing up against union insanity.

March 2, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  68. Dr. Mota

Jack: Could ask the lucky gentleman from New Jersey how many Power Ball tickets "to win the White House" he purchased.
    Keep the good work.
    Manuel from Florida

March 2, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  69. John

No way he could win, I believe he won't run because he has a tea party agenda he's trying to get accomplished before he does. It will back fire on him.

March 2, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  70. Jeffrey from Los Angeles

Any candidate for POTUS has to have a high self regard. That being said, it seems to me that those Republicans who are testing the waters for the 2012 election have a self regard so high, that no hat size could ever fit them. Modesty is apparently not part of Gov. Christie's personality either especially since he curtly dismissed the CNN poll saying the most Americans support unions and do not want public sector employees to be villified and punished like out of a Dickens novel. Anyone, including Gov. Christie who feels that denigrating the working class is a winning campaign strategy is seriously mistaken.

March 2, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  71. steve

let him keep on dreaming its free to dream. isencerely hope never.

March 2, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  72. Florence

This the problem we have in this Country,this poor guy is being very honest by teling the whole nation that he is not yetready to lead us even if he wins,why can't we just respect him for that?Why keep on pushing him to run?This man understands that being the president of this greatnation at this critical time in our history will require more than talk and jus politics.Common people,just let him be the Governor of NJ.untill the time comes for him to become the president.

March 2, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  73. alex_steenkist

Well jack you showed your hand ...how dare you leave out Ron Paul.As a canadian i see him as your only hope

March 2, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  74. Rocco Sadler

Christie for president? Lets get NJ on track before we tackle the country. NJ was recently listed as one of the states with the worst job recovery record. I admire his ambition, but cringe at his pompous attitude.

RDS
    Jersey City

March 2, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  75. bruce in IL.

Gov. Christie does good stand up but he know's he can bet Obama

March 2, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  76. Deborah Seibert,. Co

Yes, I do and we desperately need him. He is grounded and NOT a radical. However, I realize that MOST normal people would not want that job.

March 2, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  77. Paul

Second time you've gone after him. Each time he gains momentum, you trash him. First the " Can a fat man be president? " question in your broadcast/ blog, now " can he win ". You know the answer. That's why you pose the question and paint him as unqualified because he's been saying he will not run. Lot's of candidates do this to keep folks like you from pouncing on them early to spook away early support......YOU know he can win. Too bad he scares you. He's what we all need. A no non sense solution finder.

March 2, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  78. don hearn

from Woodburn, Oregon.. graduate of Roosevelt high (Des Moines 1955)
    Sure, the New Jersey gov. could win,.. just like Joe the Plumber could win the vice presidency!!

March 2, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  79. Chuck Wright, Georgia

Christie could win. Especially against the dream ticket of Gringrich and Palen. The only better ticket would be Ahmadinejad and Gadhafi.

March 2, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  80. Jeff In Minnesota

Who knows, but he definitely has a compelling story.

March 2, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  81. Flyingwolf, Manchester NH

Gov. Christie's only saying he could win because he's not going to run. I say "put your money where your mouth is," but he won't because he's got too many skeletons in his closet that would be out in the air and would probably get more air time than Charlie Sheen's antics if he ever changed his mind. Anyway I'm voting to re-elect Pres. Obama.

March 2, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  82. Matt Connolly

Obama can't win against a credible candidate. He has lost his edge as is shown by his lame response to the Libya situation. Even the British are willing to do more than the US. What happened to our goal of assisting democracies? We have 11 aircraft carriers yet none are in the Mediterranean.

Obama has met Ghaddafi's cruel actions against his people with forceful words, apparently thinking his rhetoric can stop Ghaddafi's bombs. Libya's undergoing the throws of a revolution while Obama parties at the White House. If we could have a no fly zone over northern Iraq, we could certainly have one over Libya. What is Obama waiting for, an OK from the Saudi king?

So to answer your question, yes, Christie is a credible candidate. He'd easily defeat Obama.

March 2, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  83. Linda Smith

Absolutely. Obama specializes in mush. Christie specializes on common sense. He is comfortable with and capable of articulating his positions.

March 2, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  84. Douglas W. Lytton

Jack,

I do think he can win. Remember, Barack Obama succently stated that he would not run for the office of President shortly after he was elected to the Senate, primarily because he did not yet have enough 'experience'. And yet, well you know the rest.

Gov. Christie speaks in plain English and tells it like it is; something completely lacking in Washington these days.

Doug
    Encinitas, CA

March 2, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  85. Marty

Would be interesting to see the interaction with our other elected officials.
    Christie with his total Jersey attitude. I'll vote for him.

March 2, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  86. Ron A

I am concerned that any/every GOP Candidate for Pres. must see Russia from their backyard, also not complete their elected terms as Governor , must not read newspapers, and should be a cougar..if possible.

March 2, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  87. Dimple

Why not believe Mr. Christie? If Mr. Obama with several months of experience and many "present" votes on the floor has reached the top spot then Mr. Christie as a governor tackling the real problems in NJ can also do the same for USA and win the same job with his experience and results.

March 2, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  88. Butch from Central Cal.

Strange question Jack- I take him at his word that he thinks he could win.That's easy to say considering that he won't run, but do I think he could win? No!! Not even with the eye of Newt. The republicans have no credible candidate and I couldn't be any happier.

March 2, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  89. MacFab

Jack promote Gov. Chris Christie all you want, he cannot win. Let him get in the presidential race so that we can know who he really is. He cannot even survive GOP primaries. What is unemployment rate in New Jersey? Is it lower than the rest of the states in USA because of him? I do not think so. Let’s wait and see that his effort has actually worked before we anoint him as New Jersey savior….pathetic! MacFab from Nacogdoches

March 2, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  90. Gail, Plano TX

History has proved that anything is possible, and nothing is guaranteed. Right now, we have the best President, ever. He deserves a second term. Christie should run in 2016. He will probably win that election, hands down!

March 2, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  91. garry,dayton ,oh

Oh yes he can,if rich people like koch brothers give him money to crush unions.

March 2, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
  92. David Zaluski, Lexington, Kentucky

What a huge taste of fresh air New Jersey's Governor Christie could bring to our federal government if he were president of the United States. However, what a loss it could be to New Jersey if her were to run.

Christie appears to have much more common sense than the entire Obama administration...and he appears to have a solid understanding of the workings of business and the ability to stand firm for what he believes in. Wouldn’t that be a “change we could believe in” when it comes to leading our nation?

March 2, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
  93. Armand in alabama

Unfortunately we can see a potential slogan forming for the next republican presidential candidate " cutting spending, getting out of debt" or something along those lines. It will probably ring true to a majority of the people so whoever adapts this concept the most whether it be Christie or anyone else,they will unfortunately win. Unfortunate because it was the republicans that caused a big part of this debt with their carefree spending ways.

March 2, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
  94. randy buist

He may be learning, but he's incredibly arrogant. That comment may someday cost him an elected position.

March 2, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  95. Peter in CT

Of course he can. Obama demonstrated two years ago that an inexperienced politician can be elected President and unlike Christie he had no demonstrated capacity for leadership.
    I give Christie credit for recognizing that the President of the USA can not rely on ideology that hasn't been tested by actual governance. Christie should continue to evolve and learn as governor and then he will make a fine national leader. Please, no rookies in 2012.

March 2, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  96. lenante herard

christy is a pain for us in New Jersey who would've want this vicious man to run for president ' held no. one turn government .

March 2, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  97. Ken from Pinon Hills,California

New York Jets coach, Rex Ryan says he expects his team to hoist the Vince Lombardi Trophy next season winning the Super Bowl.
    Do you believe him?

March 2, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  98. BobAD Iowa

There is nothing else to pick from.

March 2, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
  99. Rosemary

I believe he definitely could win, and wouldn't that be exciting!!! Governor Christie is in office because he sees a great need for change and.... plain & simple.... is focused on making the corrections necessary. He isn't dwelling on who or what is Democratic or Republican. He's all about what is right for New Jersey-ians. He's not one who bases his decisions upon political advancement or popularity, and for those reasons alone, his devotion is outstanding. New Jersey needs him badly, right now. Once he gets us on track, MAYBE we'll be willing to share him.

March 2, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  100. bob

Could win is a different boast that would win. The Cubs could sweep the World Series this year. Doesn't mean they're going to.

March 2, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  101. Brian in IL

Just the other day I heard that Christie wants to raise the social security eligible age to 70. That would be fine if older folks can get jobs, but in this economy most folks past 55 who aren't very well connected have considerable difficulty there. I took mine a couple of years earlier than I planned because of said difficulty. If it weren't for that I'd probably be living somewhere in a cardboard box.

March 2, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  102. Amber - Austin, TX

Well Jack, I suppose he could. I just don't think it will be in 2012.

March 2, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
  103. steve from oshawa canada

let him keep on dreaming its free to dream. isencerely hope never!!

March 2, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  104. ducks

The Republican party should first pay the United States back the $ 890
    million dollars that was borrowed,then it would be time to start up the Presidental nominees. After that, the Democrates should have to pay the remaining amount until we (U.S) are debt free. ,then they would be free to put up nominees for President,in my opinon only

March 2, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  105. Birddog in Mississippi

I have heard about so many tea party GOP "rising stars" they just become the flavor of the month. Remember when Bobby Jindal was the big hopeful? Sarah Palin had much higher favorability ratings as Governor than Christie does. Virtually everybody has good numbers shortly after being elected. Christie has mediocre numbers for this time in the game and they've already gone to his head. No, he could not beat Obama.

March 2, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  106. Ken in Maryland

He can win the primaries, yes. He's conservative enough to get the support of the tea-partiers. But I doubt he could win the White House. I don't think the majority of American voters are *that* dumb.

March 2, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  107. Nina Fox

Gov. Christie is another sorry individual surrounded by illusions of grandeur and pontificates moronic statements cloistered in ignorance

March 2, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
  108. Bill (Tacoma)

I believe N.J. Governor Chris Christie to be from the same mold/template as WI Governor Scott Walker radical and extreme. If he really, really, believe he can defeat President Obama; he should get in the race. Talk is cheap. IMO, I don't see anyone, I say anyone defeating President Obama. When he defeated the Clinton's, he won eight years in the WHITE HOUSE.

March 2, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
  109. keith in ky.

Most certainly a winner, he has what we need,someone that speaks the truth and lays out a plan to fix the problem. As far as I'm concerned I've had enough of the speeches that go on and on and on making you want to throw something at the TV give someone with common sense , that's when things get done.

March 2, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  110. Michael

He may win but that may happen after Obama's second term. Thereafter, he should come out to show Americans what he has and we will decide whether he can lead us or not.

March 2, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
  111. Jim

Jack,

There is nobody out there yet for the Republicans who could beat Obama. It's easy to criticize the incumbent and brag about how you'd do things better. Obama has been handling the job, every day, for two years and things are looking a whole lot better than under Bush. A win by Christie or any other phony Conservative would doom us to at least four years back in Bush-ville. No thanks.

Jim
    Reno, Nevada

March 2, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
  112. Bob in Kansas City

Yes he can win, but only if the GOP propaganda machine can make the lies stick until the day after election day......run Chris–the Koch brothers have the checkbook out for you..clandestinely of course.

March 2, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
  113. Martin

Yes but I he may need to make some improvements

March 2, 2011 at 5:57 pm |