January 20th, 2011

Ready for start of 2012 presidential campaign?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

If it's 2011, it must be 2012...

And that means another presidential campaign is already under way. That's unfortunate, but we really don't have a choice.

Potential Republican challengers to President Obama are popping up everywhere.

You can spot them in the early voting states - like New Hampshire, Iowa and South Carolina; and you can hear them weighing in on national debates, like raising the federal debt limit. What makes it worse is a lot of them are the same bunch we were subjected to last time around.

Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee is all over the place promoting his new book, and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney just returned from a week-long trip to Afghanistan and the Middle East - gotta beef up those foreign policy credentials. The country's been there and done that with Romney and Huckabee.

A newcomer, former Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty, had already made numerous trips to Iowa by last summer.

Others are hinting they may be interested - including Donald Trump. He does that every four years.

One strategist tells Politico the potential candidates "are like bubbles in a shaken bottle of champagne. They are anxious and ready to pop."

A couple of new polls suggest Huckabee, Romney and Sarah Palin are still at the top of the Republican pack with Newt Gingrich, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and Congressman Ron Paul bringing up the rear.

On the other side, the Democratic National Committee announced today that President Obama's re-election campaign will be based in Chicago starting in March or April. Here we go again.

Here's my question to you: Are you ready for the start of the 2012 presidential campaign?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

David in Vancouver writes:
I can't wait! I'm a Canadian, so this is blasphemy, but give me a good old rootin' tootin' American election campaign over a hockey game any day! It's TV at its best. Which of her dainty feet will Sarah Palin insert in her pretty mouth next? Who's going get caught talkin' trash into an open mic? Is the Donald going to toss his hat in the ring? Is Nader? Will Hillary swap jobs with Joe? Will Joe pull a "Joe"? Will Hillary pull an upset? It doesn't get better than this, even on skates!

Al in Delaware writes:
Hell no. I want to see less campaigning and a little more governing.

Steve in Illinois writes:
I admit it, I'm an election junkie. It's my favorite sport (short of Bears-Packers games of course). I was thrilled when Vilsack announced right after the 2006 midterms and Obama and Clinton not far behind. Come on, Republicans, I'm bored with you all. Let's rumble... peacefully.

Mike in Mississippi writes:
Here in Mississippi all the talk is about Haley Barbour and his plans to run for president. It has been speculation in all the news and the talk of the town in the state capitol!

Bob in Quebec writes:
The sooner it starts, the sooner it's over and then we can all get charged up over the 2014 midterms.

Renee in Illinois writes:
Why don't you just ask if we're ready for those Mayan end-of-the-world predictions in December of 2012? That'll probably be more fun than another election campaign. It would almost be worth the end of the world if it means we never again have to listen to hypocritical campaign rhetoric from either side!

Buster in Pougkeepsie, New York writes:
As ready as I am to see you, Jack, and Rosie O'Donnell together doing the tango naked on "Dancing with the Stars."

Filed under: 2012 Election
  1. Olga

I hope the civility remains a forefront issue in this election...I doubt it, but I can hope.

When I listen to Sarah Palin, I lose all hope for that. We shall see.

Olga
    Austin, Tx

January 20, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  2. Jayden

Of course I am! bring it on..who isn't ready for Long nights and tons for numbers crunching

January 20, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
  3. Dottore Giorgio in Italy

Bring on those nasty, evil, corrupt , bought, Republican candidates for the nomination for the presidency! We all know that greedy Lobbyists have their suitcases filled with dirty money, ready to pay off anyone, willing to vote Republican! Who's kidding who, Jack Cafferty! The truth has been out quite a while now! It's up to you, the American public, whether to accept the bribe, to your eventual total destruction, or whether to follow your ethical consciousness, for the better and moral American society, which will survive!

January 20, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
  4. Jane (Minnesota)

Didn't it start November 5, 2008???????? One would think it did listening to Cable News.

January 20, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  5. AzRose

Absolutely not. This country appears to be in a perpetual campaign mode. It is nice not to be hammered with the constant commercials slamming the opponents of the candidates. If they would just cut out the nasty remarks and tell us about their qualifications and why we should consider voting for them that is all we need to hear. I know this is just wishful thinking but it would be a welcome change.

January 20, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  6. Ed Reed

Start? It never stopped. Campaign rhetoric (lying), which was excused to some degree, used to end after the election. Not anymore. Facts and truth are things of the past. Nowadays, it's horse hockey 24/7.

Ed
    Texas

January 20, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  7. Gerry luimes

yes,we are; If knowledge means power,then Ms.Palin and friends are powerless.
    gerry,edmonton,can.

January 20, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  8. John from Alabama

Jack: I want to see a serious debate of ideas and solutions that face this nation. Yes, I look forward to one of the greatest freedoms this nation affords to its peoiple, national elections. I may not like who gets elected, but I will defend to the death the right to a secret ballot and the election process. Bring it on!!!

January 20, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  9. bob z fr ,pa.

i would liketo see some body else on the dem ticket than obama

January 20, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  10. Dave in Arizona

I sure am! I can't wait to vote Obama again to ensure that the radical right's policies get vetoed.

January 20, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  11. Ray in Knoxville

The 2012 campaign started on November 5, 2008. Haven't you been paying attention?

January 20, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  12. Conor in Chicago

I am still waitng for the socialst paradise Obama never promised anybody...

January 20, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  13. Jayne

No. If I win the lottery I'm buying an island in the middle of the ocean and hiding out until 2013.

January 20, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  14. Pete from Georgia

About as ready as I would be for a plague of locusts.

January 20, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  15. Shirley, Parry Sound, Ontario

It's no wonder the U.S. is in such bad times. Those elected don't govern; they're too busy campaigning.

January 20, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
  16. david haines - seattle washington

i am ready for a true independent from the 2 party monoplized capitulation of this great nation to renegotiate with the offshore 3rd world indsustrialists presently maintaining repressive status quo as they force us to close our libraries on the west coast and elsewhere becuZ we as locals keep having to pay the debt from the infrastructure supposed to have been paid by offshore and the sellouts who got special interests subsidies wrongly taxed on locals and not the billiionaires in 3rd world who refuse to alleviat the 3rd world influence where they are from as they prove money worshipping and hippocritical in not allowing a trickle down effect that uses the left over money to buy off our govt's desperate ventures to create jobs that empower what devours our future, cuz the profit margins have enough left over to pay off the media, the govt and the non working shareholder welfare bourgosie class!!!

January 20, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
  17. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Yes I am. Let the games begin and the sooner the better. Television shows are poor at best and at least with the debates happening it is the best comedy on TV. I just hope that Palin runs for the Tea party and Hillary runs against President Obama.

January 20, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  18. Thom Richer

You bet. There is nothing more inspiring than a bunch of wealthy egotists wasting millions and possibly billions of their and taxpayer's dollars on themselves, knowing full well they don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning. Especially in this economic time of crisis when these dollars could be spent on greater and nobler causes it is even more so. I just wish it was only their own money being put to waste and not those in need. I can tell right now who will be our next president. Why another campaign?

Thom Richer
    Negaunee, MI

January 20, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  19. Daniel Moorman

Please God, no.

Require resumes. Extend term limits.

January 20, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  20. Don from Colorado

It probably means that states recognize this may be the last, and perhaps best, opportunity to regain control of their own budgets. For decades, our cowards in Congress have passed unfunded mandates on to the states as a way of masking the cost of the Federal Government. Now, the bills on these mandates have just about overwhelmed the states' ability to set their own courses. At some point, the new programs and spending just have to stop. Let's hope the courts can find that there are SOME limits to Federal authority.

January 20, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  21. Tony from Southport

No but that won't stop them from campaigning. They have to actually, because it appears the President is campaigning every day and has been campaigning non-stop since before he became President.

January 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  22. jeff from Pa

Yes jack I can already see the GOP has nothing to offer the middle class! Doing away with health care and give the rich tax breaks! I think that about sums it all up for me!

January 20, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  23. Greg in Arkansas

Let's see:

Mute button on the TV remote located......Check
    Recycle bin placed next to the mail box.....Check
    Aspirin for headaches.........Check
    Anti-Acid for upset stomach.....Check
    Blood pressure medicine......Check
    Foam rubber brick to toss at the TV.......Check

Ready as I'll ever be......Bring It On........

January 20, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  24. Norm

Every four years, I get hopeful that things will change and we can get good leaders. Every four years, the media uses its influence to give us someone that hurts the country.

If I thought we had a chance of getting real leaders in 2012, I would be excited.

Currently, our leaders have governed sporadically. Usually, they are in campaign mode.

This nation has many challenges that need to be solved. We will not solve them with rhetoric, sound bites, perceptions and wasteful spending.

There are many Americans who could make a real difference but they are seldom allowed to play since opportunity is driven by politics, image, the latest tech tools and nonsense. These folks have been waiting for real opportunity for so long they're getting barnacles.

January 20, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  25. Gary H. Boyd

No, I'd give it a rest for about a year Jack. And, during that period, perhaps the Republicans could come up with a candidate that just might win in 2012. Maybe somebody like Donald Trump.

Gary Boyd in Scottsdale, Arizona

January 20, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  26. Bizz, Quarryville Pennsylvania

I thought it has already started. I know Congress hasn't stop playing politics. They're throwing insults at each other like it was the last week of the campaign. I would love to see Sarah Palin run for president. It would be fun to see her conduct her campaign only by appearing on Fox News. One thing for sure it won't be boring watching the republicans this campaign. They used to send out the same message like trained robots. Now with Palin and the Tea Party stirring up the mud that should make things a lot more fun.

January 20, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  27. Matt

Jack

You've got to be kidding, right? Why would anyone in their right mind want to be subjected to the drivel spewed by candidates? Now if we had real debate on real issues then I would welcome it with open arms, open ears and an open mind.

Matt
    Rockford

January 20, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
  28. Joe CE

The2012cmpagin statered sometime ago. Wehave no say in the timing, but Iill pay no attention until the New Hamphire primary. If I had control, I would prohibit campaining before June of the lection year.

January 20, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  29. Dave, Orlando, FL

Absolutely not! I was sick of campaigns even before Palin infected the media like a plague, and I’m seriously considering moving to a country that has a dictator – at least I’d be spared continuous election coverage every single day other than election day.

Tell Wolf he needs to get a life🙂

January 20, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  30. Pat In Michigan

What do you mean "the Start"? This "dog and pony "show never stops".You know some of us have real jobs and real issues out here in the real world. Somebody do the job you were elected to do in congress.
    The more this continues the more it looks like these low budget reality shows that waste our time as well.

January 20, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  31. Remo, from beautiful downtown Pflugerville Texas

Tell me it isn't that time again. We just had one circus now another is headed our way. Jack can the press cover viable candidates and keep away from the "look at me I'm too stupid to shut up" people?

January 20, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  32. CRAIG R. MCNEES

tampa, fl Since one of my Senators just threw his hat in the ring for a 3rd term, and voted for Amnesty along with our current President, yes, I am ready. We just got rid of 61 of those fat, arrogant, corrupt, stupid, politicians that did keep voting for amnesty, I can't wait for 2012 to get rid of the rest.

January 20, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  33. Steve, Clifton, VA

We didn't have a choice in the matter. The 2012 presidential campaign started in December 2008. We have been in it for two plus years already!

January 20, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
  34. Rich McKinney, Texas

Not really Jack. To be honest i have tired of the whole political scene. All the cut throat redirect and having to sift through all the lies to get to one grain of truth just is not worth the effort any more. I have become disillusioned with our government and it's leaders. We are suppose to be fiscally responsible and pay our taxes but our congress can not even pass a budget much less live within it. There is little hope for us and less for our leaders.

January 20, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  35. Dee in New Paris Ohio

Well,, ready or not, here it comes!

Just exactly when do all those folks WORK?

No wonder nothing ever gets done in our country, everyone who should be WORKING is way too busy doing something else, if not campaigning, then raising millions to do so. Gimme a break!

January 20, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  36. Tom Bulger, Canandaigua

Harvard History Professor Arthur Schlesinger conducted a poll of historians to identify the ranking of presidents. Lincoln came in first and FDR came in third. Both heroes and role models of president Obama. I think Obama is better than Lincoln and as good as FDR, so you're darn right I'm ready. America is evolving into the hope of what it could be.

January 20, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  37. KDS Irvine, CA

Just another year of seeing a bunch of game show hosts in a beauty pageant pointing fingers at the other side. I can hardly wait..

January 20, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
  38. Richard Oak Harbor, Wa

Voters will expect a greater measure of accountability from candidates vying for the 2012 Presidential primary nomination. Campaign promises from all Parties will have to bear greater scrutiny from the public to achieve the credibility needed for real change and a return to growing prosperity for the beleaguered middle class. High unemployment and the urgent need for jobs will require more than simple generalizations and hopeful rhetoric. There may be discontent with the status quo but changing horses in the middle of the stream isn't necessarily the best choice or likely outcome for the 2012 election.

January 20, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  39. Karen, Idaho

I don 't want to see another politician until 90 days before the 2012 election. If they can't convince me in 90 days, they are not worth my vote.

January 20, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  40. David Gerstenfeld

As long as they run a clean campaign & only focus on what they will do if elected & how it will be accomplished. And if you believe that Jack, I have a great deal on a bridge that's back on the market !
    David, Las Vegas

January 20, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  41. Steve

I admit it, I'm an election junkie, it's my favorite sport (short of Bears-Packers games of course), I was thrilled when Vilsack annoucned the day after the 2006 mid-trems and Obama and Clinton not far behind. Come on Republicans, I'm bored with you all, let's rumble...peaceably.

IL

January 20, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  42. Mark in Oklahoma City

The mass Liberal Media decided on the day after the 2008 election that Obama was going to be a two term president, so I don't really know why we are even bothering to go through the motions of a 2012 election. The Republican nominee will be called everything but a child molestor to keep Obama in office.....and it will probably work.

January 20, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  43. Sarah

No, can't we just put it off a couple years and have no one in office? Looks like the USA does what it wants with out any help from a main person.

January 20, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  44. Tom in Desoto, Tx

You missed it Jack. Republicans started voting against everything Obama has tried to do and will continue for at least the next 2 years or when hell freezes over. And, the republicans all march in lockstep, all good soldiers, no real leaders for the people.

January 20, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  45. Paul P.

No, I think to start this year is grossly premature and an impediment or distraction for work that needs to be done and issues that need to be tackled. What we need right now is focus and the beginnings of meaningless campaigning will not help at all.

January 20, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  46. Jerry: Johns Creek, GA

In a word, NO. I have not recovered from the last campaign, some of the previous candidates are still constantly seeking media coverage. I like to view news programs to hear the news and a bunch of politicians belching out their vitriolic attacks on whoever they feel is their opponent is not news, it is just disgusting.

January 20, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  47. Solutions not Rhetoric

Didn't the campaign begin the day President Obama was elected?

January 20, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  48. sheila

Yes, let the games begin!!!!

January 20, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  49. Lavon in Hemet, CA

Heck Yeah!!..I'm ready Jack! I got my "Monster" energy drink, popcorn, and a front-row seat. Just waiting for Wolf Blitzer to yell "Let's get ready to rumble!!" Lol..good, hilarious times ahead..can't wait.

January 20, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
  50. Mike in Denver

I need to get a tetanus shot and hip boots before wading into the next batch of campaign manure.

January 20, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
  51. Joseph Kavanaugh

Jack,
    There is a mathamatical answer to the 2012 campaign.

I x V = R

Imagine the best cantidate
    Visualize the best cantidate
    Reality is afterwards.... Pray for the Best outcome!

Postal Joe, Rock Hill, NY

January 20, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
  52. Bob in Kansas City

Am I ready for this circus full of false promises to begin anew?...NO, they all need to keep their mouths shut for another year, at least.

January 20, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  53. Joanne B

Absolutely not, it's too early. Obama should give the one Billion Dollars he plans to spend on campaign to people who need food in America...yes in America. Why? He is not going to be able to fool Americans this time as they are keeping a running record on all the Anti American moves he has made.
    My brother has had 4 couple friends, inc two Drs, move to Canada. That's how fed up some are with this Socialist agenda. Wish it was the 1960's and someone might be arrested by now.
    Joanne B

January 20, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  54. Bob Schroder Piedmont Quebec Canada

The sooner it starts the sooner it's over and then we can all get charged up over the 2014 midterms.

January 20, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  55. Jeff In Minnesota

Didn't we just do this? They're saying that President Obama has set a goal of raising a billion dollars for his campaign. A Billion with a capital 'B' Jack. That's just flat out nuts. That money could be put to a lot better uses than a political campaign. Time to look at election costs again and maybe even take a page from the British and have the government provide the funds for people to get elected. I say about $100 each. And even at that amount, they are not worth it.

January 20, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  56. Bill in South Texas

Jack,
    Yes, we are ready for the 2012 campaigns to begin. Just added broadcast media to the investment portfolio. Now that there are no limits on campaign spending the media will profit.

Some civilized countries in Europe can get elections done in
    3 months and do not allow bribing the candidates but fund them with public money. But, then they provide universal health care and income protection as rights of citizenship and live longer than we in the U.S,

January 20, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
  57. Jackson S

Today's Rasmussen Poll had "anyone" at 52% and Obama at 41%.
    He is done, and many democrats saying the same thing...he's all over the map, changes his mind, sticks up for the terrorists, and fickle as a child. He has succeeded in moving many Dems to Independents in the past 2 yrs, and he fabricates like a 2 yr old child.
    Jackson S
    Nevada

January 20, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
  58. Buster in Poughkeepsie, NY

As ready as I am to see you, Jack, and Rosie O'Donnell together doing the Tango naked on "Dancing with the Stars." In other words, I'm chomping at the bit.

January 20, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
  59. jimboe

Republicans will not get a single vote from me. I decided that when the held the country hostage in december.

I cannot believe that I actually voted for some of them in 2010.

January 20, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
  60. bonnie from nj

Thank goodness we can rent/download movies and listen to satelite radio. The thought of listening to politicians' b.s., name calling and general juvenile behavior for the next two years is nauseating. I still (foolishly perhaps) hold out hope of hearing someone tell me their plan for fixing the overwhelming problems we are facing instead of the normal finger pointing we get.

January 20, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
  61. Wayne( Canada)

I hope Obama gets a second term. So do a vast majority of Canadians. The GOP have nothing to offer their own country or the rest of the World.

January 20, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  62. Solutions not Rhetoric

Regardless of who wins, our political system is tainted and dysfunctional. We need more choices than just Dem and Repub. We will continue to steadily become a third world country because greedy politicians continue to rob and sell out the American people while making their special interest deposits. We lack jobs, and education, while steadily losing our respect for values, and the law. A non productive society is a dangerous society. We need real leadership but we must start with ourselves.

January 20, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  63. Jacob

I am ready! the GOP really knows how to get SNL and Comedy Central some killer ratings!

January 20, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
  64. steve in Hawaii

Jack, how did you know I just took our TV to the landfill?

Steve

January 20, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
  65. Solutions not Rhetoric

Where are the jobs that the Republicans campaigned on? Why are they so focused on health care? Do they not get it? That is why the Dems got voted out. I just feel we need more choices. The Repubs and Dems are just sad.

January 20, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
  66. Joe

we should eliminate the "2012" and just have a continuous campaign..seems that is the reality anyway..elections don't really have consequences, just perpetual finger (middle) pointing..

January 20, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  67. Catie

In a perfect world we will see debating and not hating. In a perfect world we will see transparency and not secrecy. In a perfect world we will see that blacks and whites have overcome their differences and that largley its the special interest groups keep prejudice alive and well. In a perfect world we will see that the Tea Party are just normal moms and dads, grandmas and grandpas like me who want to go back to old values and morals and the consitution as it was intended, not to be manipulated. In a perfect world ridiculous PC would go the wayside and the 90% of the people who believe in God would be respected and not condemned. In a perfect world........

January 20, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  68. Rob in NC

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say are you ready for the intermission to end? Legislation is the part-time job they do between running for office!! Rob in NC

January 20, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
  69. Rob - North Dakota

NO. The jokers who want to run need to get their own t.v. channel so that the people who want to watch and listen to the crap that comes from the campain adds can do so. The rest of us should not have to be subject to it. Also the billion $ Obama has raised should go to help people in need. Just don't let the government try and help they would turn it into debt real fast.

January 20, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
  70. kathleen emelianoff

It would be so nice to actually have some form of public media that is actually interested in presenting the news of the day and maybe some in depth reporting. Unfortunately, those talking heads in the media refuse to even consider that their profession is a farce. Freedom of the Press was intended to allow the actual story to be put forward, however, the Press is now creating the story. Case in point- Palin. The Press is constantly shoving her in our face. She is not news, nothing she says is of value. However, what is going on in Iraq and Afghanistan is real and important but not to the so called Press. Can't make money reporting on the war. The Press is pathetic.

January 20, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
  71. Michael

Ron Paul for 2012.

I can't wait for a more propaganda laden garbage.
    "The FED does not manipulate markets." ~That is what it is basically designed to do.
    "We need to pay more taxes." ~Start by cutting every government service that is a nonessential. Stop borrowing/printing money. Cede education to local school boards, give more authority to local (tribal) governments.

Government is not god; rather, government is a parasite with a gullet the size of a black hole that has approximately the same appetite.

January 20, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
  72. Gigi Oregon

Are you sure that the Parties are ready or is cable news beginning to loose ground and trying to find ways to get ratings up.

January 20, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  73. Shari from Madison

No, I'm not ready Jack, but that doesn't alter the fact that it already has started. It started as soon as Obama was elected. I pray that there will be civil and productive dialogue, but I'm not holding my breath for that. Especially not when corporations pay for a candidate who will vote to benefit there corporation at the expense of the common person.

January 20, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  74. IKHAN from Nevada

Ready or not Jack, looks we are stuck with the likes of Huckabees, Romneys, Gingriches, Palins & such.
    Have we come to the point where this hapless nation cannot produce leadership with vision, weight of intellect, foresight and wisdom? If this is the calibre that challenges President Obama come next elections and he loses then the world would certainly give up on us.
    We had earned the ridicule of the international community when we re-elected G.W.Bush and whatever prestige we could salvage by electing President Obama was lost with the mid-terms.

Perhaps Trump, Roseanne, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly etc would also oblige us by jumping in.
    Let the circus begin.

January 20, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  75. Will

Jack, we need to revisit term limits because constantly campaigning and seeking re-election inhibits our elected officials from performing their duties while also influencing their decisions. Now it's all about what do I have to say or do to get re-elected, not what is best for the country.

January 20, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
  76. Tony (Richfield, MN)

Jack,
    Come on, we still have 2 baseball seasons, 6 Survivor seasons, Super Bowl and subsequent NFL lockout, hundreds of interviews by Piers Morgan and a thousand Palin facebook postings/tweets before the race gets going in earnest. Lets focus on the immediate items and then cover the race when it arrives.

Tony
    Richfield, MN

January 20, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  77. Katie

I'm ready because I don't think any of the Republican candidates are particularly impressive. Palin's a joke, and Huckabee and Romney are too fundamentalist. Trump doesn't have a chance, Christie's corrupt, and Ron Paul is just loco.

Jersey City, NJ

January 20, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
  78. John from San Antonio

We might as well be. That is a politicians only requirement, to run for reelection. the government is in the hands of the many and various agencies who take their orders from the corporate executives. we don't elect the people in these agencies so we might as well sit back and enjoy the childlike antics of the politicians.

January 20, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
  79. John Moore - New Britain, PA

Here is hoping that in the next political campaign we hear more honest dialogue than we got in 2010. I wish that the media would refuse to air advertising that is merely intended to confuse and mislead. Give the voters the truth and let the chips fall as they may.

January 20, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  80. Michael Smith Soledad California

No I am not. If I have to hear about the 2012 election for the next 22 months I'm going to go insane Jack.

January 20, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  81. Ralph Spyer

What we have here are interchangeable candidates , we will still be at war, we will still have 10 million illegal mexicans , we will still have 10% out of work, and the government will substute public opinion for the law.

January 20, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  82. C.T.

An American preparing for a political campaign is like a fish preparing to get wet. You can't prepare for a situation in which you are constantly involved. One campaign runs into the next, and so on. The question should not be if we're ready for the campaign. You should ask how we cope with perpetual electioneering.

January 20, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  83. becky - Las Vegas

I wouldn't mind, Jack. Then we'd get to have more water cooler discussions that start with "Can you believe what Simple Sarah said yesterday while stumping in the state of ..." and ends with "I hope she goes away once the election is over. If that doesn't convince her that her 15 minutes is LONG since up, I don't know what will."

January 20, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  84. Henk, Colorado

That campaign has been going on for 26 months already.No, I am not ready for it, nor do I want to be.

January 20, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  85. trex

the G(reed) O(ver) P(eople) continues to play the ANTI Robin Hood, they take from the poor and nearly poor, and give to the richest , top 2% of wealth owners in the US and abroad. They have and continue to LIE (non existant.. "DEATH PANELS etc.) about anything they wish, then point fingers of hate at those that vhallenge them or respond.
    G ....reed
    O.....ver
    P.....eople

January 20, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  86. Mike

Here in Mississippi all the talk is about Haley Barbour and his plans to run for President. It has been speculation in all the news and the talk of the town in the state capitol!

January 20, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  87. Rick McDaniel

Ready to look more at the darker horses, where new blood we haven't seen before can come from.

No interest in anyone, who has run before, at all.

January 20, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  88. steve

Jeez! My head is still spinning from the last one. I think we need to focus on getting something done before we start another round of character bashing by childish morons (politicians).

Steve,
    Ohio

January 20, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  89. Faye from Nevada

Yes, for sure. The Tea Party will have mostly been disbanded, the Palin's and the Angle's(and radical whack a doodles) will have had their day and even now have been found to be very annoying. So I look for a far more balanced atmosphere. I, like many Americans, have gotten our fill of the party of "no" and don't want to elect people who are not going to work but only say "no." It just won't work any more.

January 20, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  90. redisgreat

I have finally decided to stop voting. I first voted in 1974 and have been a good voter since then (meaning I take the time to go vote). Not all my choices won and that really does not matter. What matters is like what Ralph Spyer said above "what we have here are interchangeable candidates." and for the most part that is true. So it really makes no difference who is running the loony bin because they jerks in Washington and yes my own states' legislature are just not capable of fixing anything. If someone sane comes along and brings a lot of other sane people with them then I will go out and vote again. Until then, bah the current government in Washington is useless.

January 20, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  91. Edward Nashville, TN

It is way too early to even think about an election, which is almost two years away. I think that the campaigning should not start until the begining of 2012. The election season is too long.

January 20, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  92. Michael

Ron Paul is just loco

Yeah, a fiscally conservative, anti-imperialist, personal freedom loving, diplomacy first nuke last, government limiting, economic award winning, anti patriot act Republican who has a voting record to match his rhetoric is absolutely nuts.
    /sarc

Wow, how radical.

January 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  93. Scott Stodden

We Do This Every Four Years Jack So Weather Or Not Were Ready I Guess Its Coming Right? Im Excited To See Who Will Actually Jump In The GOP Race For President-Who Is Actually Brave Enough To Stand Up To President Obama? We All Know Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee And Maybe Ron Paul And Newt Gingrich Will Probably Run But What Will Be Interesting More Than Anything To Me Will Be To See If "The Donald" (Donald Trump) Runs For President. Its Going To Be An Exciting Next Couple Of Years As We Get Ready For "The 2012 Presidential Race"

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

January 20, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  94. George from North Carolina

Campaigning for office should mean working hard, building consensus, and leading by example. In that regard politians are always running. With this bunch they have to start their mantra telling me over and over why they should be elected instead of showing me.

January 20, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  95. Brian Wickremasinghe

Yes, I am ready to hear idle promises and empty rhetoric. I like to see the "not so educated' being taken for a ride by interested parties. I like to follow partisan commentary on TV. I like to have aspiring candidates begging for my vote. I like to hear about reducing “big government”, without specifics of where the cuts are envisaged. All in all, the aspiring politicians know that the country which had the best educated labor force not so long ago is now different and could be treated like puppets. Yes, I am looking forward to the next campaign.

January 20, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  96. d from washington

January 20, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  97. Lori - PA

Jack,

I thought the 2012 presidental campaign was already underway. After all, the media began talking about it right after the 2008 presidential election was over.

January 20, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  98. terry

no thanks, Jack – I would rather have a colonoscopy once a week than start this now !

January 20, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  99. Tim in Texas

The fact that Sarah Palin is even considered as a possible contender for the Republicans tells you all you need to know about the GOP.

January 20, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  100. Darlene Buckingham

I watched Obama's presidential campaign with excitement and hope. I am Canadian and this was the first presidential campaign I ever watched. The first thing Obama did as President was bomb Pakistan. Now I know why I never watched presidential campaigns and never will again. The US is in terrible trouble and so are we Canadians. Politics is dead – terror rules. I pray that we the people will overcome and peace will prevail once again.

January 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  101. Michael

"It means that most Americans don't care if their neighbor dies, goes bankrupt or buys enough guns to fill his garage."

Or if their country murders innocent people in the name of physically fighting an ideology or sells weapons the same people and denies or selectively "forgets" their country ever did that.

non existant.. "DEATH PANELS etc.

Trex, have you seen the video of Bill Gates not only affirming, yes, they are real but they are also necessary to quell population sizes and to boost economies?

January 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  102. LIP

Real people with real lives would rather not see or hear the endless political name calling ads, perpetually running every minute of every day for two years on our TVs and radios.
    Why can't the politicians change this to maybe 6 weeks at the very most? With that said, it will never happen...the media makes its living off this endless crap.

January 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  103. chloe, texas

Only if the candidates are forced to be hooked up to polygraphs whenever they open their mouths or write something and only if the candidates have to take the MMPI (The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, one of the most frequently used personality tests in mental health). Never mind the IQ tests, our politicians are the sharpest "grifters" in the business.....

January 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  104. Sunil R

Wait, there's going to be an election in 2012? I thought we cancelled it when we found out the world was supposed to end.

January 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  105. Paul from Phoenix

Jack,

If a President was limited to 1 term of 6 years, maybe that President would actually then focus the entire time on his/her job.

January 20, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  106. Wilson James

The comedy begins. The GOP will ride behind Fox News and talk radio BS artistes, pundits will examine how you should vote based on approval ratings by race, income and whatever. The nastiest and craziest of us will bloviate on comment sections of newspapers and cable stations, and the most bizarre of all, Sarah Palin, will receive more coverage than any real candidate. And we think Texas and Arizona are crazy? We all are.

January 20, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  107. Rob Arrigo

Yeah I am ready!! I am ready for Ron Paul to run in 2012. Go Ron Paul!!

January 20, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  108. Jesusdude from D.C.

Obama has been in office officially for two years YEAHH!!!!, But on a serious note, 2011 just started so let's not rush God's timing! Enjoy '11!! Hakuna Matata!!!!!!!!!!

January 20, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  109. Don

"Town Halls" need to be replaced with study halls. Then, maybe, just maybe, we can elect leaders, instead of idiots. The uninformed shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a voting booth. As long as corporate thugs keeping throwing money at obviously unqualified candidates, nothing will change, and we will continue to have perpetual campaigns. Unfortunately, that's not gonna happen. Case in point, two of the tea party winners attending a fund raiser instead of their own swearing in ceremony.

January 20, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
  110. Steve

Didn't we just get done with an election? We don't need more campaigning and useless political rhetoric. I wish I could get a job by spouting useless political nonsense and then only help those donating millions to my campaign.

Pearl Harbor, HI

January 20, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
  111. David, Vancouver

I can't wait! ... As a Canadian, this is blasphemis, but give me a good ol'd rootin' tootin' Amercian election campain over a hockey game any day! It's TV at it's best. ... Which of her dainty feet will Sarah Palin insert in her pretty mouth next? ... Who's going get caught talkin' trash into an open mike? ... Is the Donald going to toss his hat in the ring? Is Nader? ... Will Hillary swap jobs with Joe? ... Will Joe pull a "Joe"? ...Will Hillary pull an upset? ... It doesn't get better than this, even on skates!

January 20, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
  112. Renee Peoria,Ill

Why don't you just ask if we're ready for those Mayan end-of-the-world predictions in Dec of 2012. That'll probably be more fun than another election campaign. It would almost be worth the end of the world if it means we never again have to listen to hypocritical campaign rhetoric from either side!

January 20, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
  113. Ancient Texan

Yes! I can't wait to be bombarded with head splitting campaign garbage. But then ridding the America I love of the remnents of the progressive inhabitants of the House and Senate and White House will make the noise all worth while. Lubbock Tx.

January 20, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  114. honest John in Vermont

As we come to the beginning of another election cycle I remember the song: "Send In The Clowns" and I see they are coming back. Which clown will we pick?

January 20, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  115. Nancy, Tennessee

We need some time in our politics when it appears to be stable and we have the people working for us that we elected. The Presidency and the Congress seem to be in a state of constant flux. Forgive me if I am not ready for the next round of promises and lies. I'm just looking for someone to fulfill their promises from the last election.

January 20, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  116. Bruce

Spare me. Please. Both parties are the same, and run by the same elite.

January 20, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  117. whitmanguy

Might as well have the election now. The Republicans are committed to wasting the next two years anyway.

January 20, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  118. Gia in Los Angeles

I'm sitting this one out, Jack. I was over-active in the last one to get Obama here. I'm happy with him and I'm sticking with him. Let the Republicans slug it out amongst each other and I'll go about my life and just show up at the voting booth.

January 20, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
  119. Loren, Chicago

Save me from the people who would save me from myself.

We don't need another two years of campaigning. I got it let's pass a law. Oh, wait, too many of those already. I resign myself to the noise of inane political chatter.

January 20, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
  120. Lou from Iowa

Politicians are always in perpetual campaign mode. They vote for bills based on if it will get them re-elected. They choose their words carefully so as not to tick off Limbaugh or Palin's potential voters. We've been subjected to never ending campaigns for years and the only way to stop the cycle is with term limits.

January 20, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
  121. RS

I wish we could just have a Labor Day to Election Day "official"campaign period, with all the debates then, and all the advertising only allowed then. There should also he a finanical limit on how much advertising can be bought.

January 20, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  122. jenny

Hello guys,get the job and keep your mind busy because you have to much time for stupid comments.You don't know anything about politics or economy because you live with food stamps.Just shut up. Is up to American people to decide theirs vote 2012.CNN you hate Palin because she is telling you what you don't want to hear.

January 20, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  123. bob landschoot

There's no way Obama will lose, all pretenders should save their money.Aspirants will spend too much money, obtained from too many rich people whom will ask for their tribute from winners. Those having gold make rules, those making rules get closer to gold. That's politics!

January 20, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
  124. HURRICANEPAUL from Hawaii

Jack, my hope is that Florida Republican Senator Marco Rubio challenges Obama for president in 2012.

You know...he's the Cuban-American with the 'funny name' and 'who doesn't look like all the other presidents' just like Obama said about himself.

That way, when I see Janeane Garofalo being interviewed by Keith Olbermann on MSNBC criticizing Senator Rubio's policies, I can call her a "racist...straight up" for not wanting to see a Cuban-American in the White House.

January 20, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
  125. Rayshawn Ordway

Well Jack technocally no but my personal mood is that from right now to 2012 if Stephen Colbert, Jon Stewart, Keith Olbermann, Chris Matthews, Rachel Maddow or anybody else who I watch to get my political fix runs for president I will indeed support and vote for them to be our new 45th president because I'm tired of the two party system and President Obama's bipartisan deals with the Republicans as the rest of us gets "Shalacked" in the process.

January 20, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
  126. Griff

"Surely you can't use paid for equipment by the tax-payer, to enhance your own position to the Everyday street Public?"

January 20, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
  127. Lisa Illinois

NO! Our TEENAGERS don't need to see anymore bullying , thats all these politicians do, none of them ever really tell us what they stand for, it's all about knocking down the other guy. PLEASE POLITICIANS This time around be a positive influence on our kids! Politicians don't make it easy for parents to say bullying is wrong when it's all over our televisions with their commercials.

January 20, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  128. Rayshawn Ordway

Louisville, KY

January 20, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  129. MJW

For Gosh sakes Jack! They never stopped campaigning from last time!

January 20, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  130. Greg

So presidents are only supposed to serve two years and then run a two election campaign?

No wonder nothing get done in this country.

January 20, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  131. Ryan

Everyone knows Chris Christie could, and SHOULD, run and crush Obama in 2012. Has anyone heard this guy debate yet? It really isn't fair. And to think, he doesn't need the help of a little box telling him what to say, unlike some folks. *cough* Obama.

And to answer your question, ever since Obama won in 2008 he has been running for re-election. Look at all the interviews he has done, on TV and in print, its crazy. Republicans need to defend themselves because like every year, the Democrats will be elected, or unelected, by the blind loyalty of illegal/legal hispanics looking for a handout (citizenship) for themselves, or their relatives; and young kids (college kids mostly) who think its cool to vote for a black guy who plays basketball and is on MTV/reality television (they don't become Republicans later on in life, not until they get money, a job, and some sense of personal responsibility). Also, because P-Diddy tells them to. Yell at me on Twitter, @sixxx_ftw

January 20, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  132. David

No...Really, no.

January 20, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  133. Alfred

I can't handle it! Aaaaaah! Make it stop.

January 20, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  134. Charles in NJ

None of them including Obama impress me.

January 20, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  135. Andrew

No, an election just means that 'we' the people get put on the back burner!

January 20, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  136. Patricia Johnson

A bubble is NOTHING with a skin around it.

Watch for the bubbles running for office.

January 20, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  137. Christine

Jack, I heard countless Americans looking for relief from the mid-term; how on earth are we going to stomach the upcoming Presidential campaign with the same old cast of characters. A dentist from Chicago put up $5000 of his own money for the first campaign ad I've seen to vote for Hillary Clinton. And then you have the Donald – he's no trump card! If our politicians spent more time running the country than they did campaigning, perhaps more of the people's work would get done.

January 20, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  138. Jim in Indiana

Sure I'm ready. It means our politics-based economy is about to get some more stimulus...

January 20, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  139. cory

no not really. i love obama and i dont want to see him go. but i am kinda hoping that obama wins again. go obama

January 20, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  140. Judith_NY

Jack, I'm SO ready for the next go-round. This campaign ought to be very entertaining. As an ]Obama fan, I know whose campaign I'll be telebanking for again.

January 20, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  141. Corey in Illinois

I'll be ready for the 2012 campaign fever when it's the Iowa caucus and not a moment sooner. 2011 just began and I don't want to soak up all of this just yet. I want to see what Obama can do in 2011 and see what kind of legislation is passed. Sure maybe some will announce they are running; but lots of work needs to be done. I am ready for Obama to lay out his goals for next week's 2011 State of the Union Address. Ask me about 2012 when it's actually 2012.

January 20, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  142. Dan Leahy

No one, but no one, is more responsible for the too-early start of election campaigns than the media. Wolf just admitted it. Cycle after cycle, he and others start talking about the next election even before the votes are tallied for the last one. Of course, no one makes more money off the campaigns than the TV networks, so......what would you expect?
    Dan Leahy
    Santa Barbara

January 20, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  143. Daniel Elzner

You mean there's a beginning and an end?

January 20, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  144. AB

Jack, I am definitely ready for 2012 and will do my best to help ensure the re-election of Barack Obama since I will vote for him and even work on his campaign. 2012 will be a very interesting year indeed.

January 20, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  145. Old Guy

With the internet and telecommunications along with TV, We should be able to have the whole election in less than 2 months. Its not like the indviduals have to travel by horseback to each community. People whom are interested can simply go on line and see what a person is for and against. Also 65 to 70 percent are going to vote party line any way. We could have all the primaries the last week of September and the national election first week of November.

January 20, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  146. Chris

Jack, i'm only ready if Congressman Ron Paul runs. Everything the Republican party is pretending to be now is what he was in 08 and his entire career. Run Ron Run!

January 20, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  147. Tony

I don't know Jack. Are you and your fellow journalist ready to tell the truth on the issues to enable an informed public or are you just going to repeat the lies and statement of those running for office?

January 20, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  148. Barbara T. Las Vegas, NV

I'm ready for the next campaign. It seems that politicians are perpetually campaigning for some office. Wouldn't it be great if they spent as much time doing the job they were elected to do as they do on campaigning? Imagine what they could accomplish for our country.

January 20, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  149. mark in Las Vegas

No, I'm not ready. The people need a break.

January 20, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  150. Daniel from Longview, TX.

You mean there's actually a beginning and an end?

January 20, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  151. Greg Turman

Jack;

I am most ready for 2012 election campaigns to begin. It should be very interesting & very refreshing.
    Democrats can not run on their record. They all caved in on the Bush doctrine, except for health care reform & that's not real popular.
    Republicans will talk health care reform transparency and jobs.
    I predict very little gets done at end of the day. China will own us and the blame game in the U.S. will go on forever

Gregory Turman
    Dallas,Texas

January 20, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  152. Mike in PA

I am ready for 2012..I was foolish enough to vote for Obama once, not again..

January 20, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  153. Bob from Baltimore

I am ready, provided there is a Political station. No public stations should carry the political jabber.

January 20, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  154. Annie, Atlanta

No. I’m not sure our country, or me personally, will ever recover from the toxic hate filled 2008 campaign. And guaranteed it will be more toxic and hate filled than we may be prepared to handle.

January 20, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  155. Tim KAlayci

Yes! Because that means there is real Hope that another change will happen in Washington. Obama has not lived up to Hype. Time to listen to the voters again who asked for change in 2010. Unfortunately I have not found any worthy candidate to vote for in 2012. But with every election there is fresh hope for progress.

Tim K
    Ft Lauderdale, Fl

January 20, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  156. Joe NY

Ron Paul for 2012......... We need this man to win we need a change. The USA as a hole is not going in the right direction if Ron won't run then we need you to run JACK.

January 20, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  157. Jim Collins

Yeah, bring it on *coughs*.

Obama will win anyway, so why waste our time and money on all of the political shuck and jiving?

Take the campaign money and apply it towards health care, homelessness, or the deficit.

January 20, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  158. Ken in NC

It never stopped for Sarah Palin so I'm just ready for it to end. The only high spot to her last run was the "Cafferty Rant of No Excuses". I loved it. That's one of the two reasons I pray she runs again. If she runs, Obama can walk and win.

January 20, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  159. Gary - Woodhaven, Michigan

During summer vacations while attending school I worked at a Michigan chicken farm for extra money.

In about August every year we would open the back doors to the football field length Quonset huts that held thousands of chickens and take high pressure fire hoses and begin the arduous task of washing the mountain of chicken $#*! out the back. That manure flowed like the Detroit river.

Every election cycle I think of that task.

January 20, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  160. Bob Mckinnon

Jack : Isn't it time the U.S rethought the logic of holding a midterm election. It just seems to me a bad idea because it doesn't give elected politicians enough time to work on lawmaking before they have to get back to campaigning and that is such a distraction. Not to mention the enormous expense. Most countries in the world elect their politicians for a term of four or five years. It just makes no sense to me to be constantly sucking up to the electorate who change their mood every few months or so. Bob Mckinnon, N.S.

January 20, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  161. Annie, Atlanta

David in Vancouver, thanks for the laugh. How refreshing to see the entertainment value of our politics from someone on the outside looking in. Puts all this nonsense in perspective.

January 20, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  162. Brenda W Wiggins

Jack, I am ready to get to work tl help re-elect President Obama. The Republican party seems bipolar. The talked people who might run are a list of folks who are not smart enough or too narrowly focused or not focused at all on the needs of our people. The work is not just to re-elect our president but to send some smart people to Congress who will work together and move us forward.
    The time is now to get started because far too many voters have no idea what we have gotten done and what we stand to lose if the republicans hold too much power.

January 20, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  163. Greg

So presidents are only supposed to serve two years and then run a two year election campaign?

No wonder nothing get done in this country.

January 20, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  164. Janet Bunger

Wonderful to know all are interested in running for office again. but how about concentrating on business at hand first.

January 20, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  165. Claudia, Houston, Tx

No, I'm sick of politicians writing books, pandering for money and lying at the same time.

January 20, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  166. morgan

I used to believe elections was ONE place citizens had an influence on politics. But not after Citizens United. It's clear the Supreme Court decision was political, made so that corporations can choose the politicians FROM NOW ON. It is usually all about money; the next election will run in the billions, and citizens voices will be drowned out by the megaphone big business has been given.

January 20, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  167. Karl in Mich

Well, I'm not ready now nor was I ready when it did start on November 5th. We have been getting the lip service since then and soon the ads start. The networks are counting the millions already.

January 20, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
  168. Barbara

Jack,
    I am a moderate who has been living in NH for 30 years, where the mid-terms normally lead into the presidential primaries with state and local elections mixed in. There used to be a time when there was some peace and sanity, dare I say even some harmony, but not anymore. The polls and phone calls are tiring and aggravating as is, but after the vitriol of the mid-terms of 2010, I'm not ready. I'm tuning out and hanging up, something I've never done before.

January 20, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
  169. Joseph Leff

I'm ready for 2020 - without needing to wear glasses.

Joe in Delray Beach, Florida

January 20, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
  170. Diana

Are you kidding? I am sick to death of politics! For two years we've watched Republicans jocking for position and not supporting President Obama in any way, just so they'd have a chance to win the republican nomination. If the midterm elections were any indication of what the next two years will be like, we'll need to brace ourselves for a nasty two years, and use our mute button on our TV remotes every time we see their faces because you can't believe a word they say!!!

January 20, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
  171. Udoma Jacobs

Yes, say that again, i am impatiently ready to vote president obama in again. I wish the voting take place now. He inherited problem bigger than the entire world, but in a twinkle of an eye, he solved half of the problem in less than two years. Even though republicans and his supporters don't see this remarkable achievements, it is clear that president obama is like Jesus who came to save mankind from perishing but some people did not appreciated his sacrificial efforts and send him to pilate for judgement. Even when pilate could not find any fault, people were still shouting crucify him, crucify him, crucify him. For now, i think president obama is still the messiah we were yearning for.

January 20, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
  172. kurt

No I'm not ready. What I'm not ready is to see billions of dollars spent to elect somebody that will just vote what there party tells them to. Does the party leader tell these guys what to eat too.

January 20, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
  173. Ernie Lederman

Jack, are you kidding? The 2012 campaign began before the President was sworn in. The Republicans announced their intention to limit him to one term immediately after his inauguration. Your pundit panel declared him a one-term president over a year ago. The midterm elections were a phase of the 2012 campaign and most commentators said as much. David Gergen said it: every is political and the campaigning never stops. NOW you're asking?

January 20, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
  174. Robert Ferranti

Oh god just shoot me now. The phone , do not call list does not stop the political phone calls and bot calls. My hypertension is just getting back to normal. Please no, no more lies , miss infomation and I wasn't refering to Sarah she is a Mrs. among other things.

please just shoot me

January 20, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
  175. Jordan

Let's nominate Ditka.

Jordan, Chicago

January 20, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
  176. Luci

What do you mean start the campaigning. It has been going on ever since our President was elected. I will vote for President Obama.for sure.
    Huckaby is probably the best they have, but he has an R in front of his name. He needs to get far away from the tea groups to be a good canidate.
    I will vote Democrat, as they are the ones that help all middle class and poor people.

January 20, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
  177. Gillie Haynes

NO...capital N, capital O. In this household, we are sick of politics on the news. We want a news channel that tells us what is happening in North Dakota, Oklahoma, Hawaii, Australia, Chile...get the idea? We want news, not opinions and popularity polls. If the parties ramp up too early, we middle-of-the-road Americans will tune them out and be resentful of these ardent politicos hogging the airwaves.

January 20, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
  178. Jim

The country is in constant campaign mode. That's why very little actually gets done. The money wasted in this process is off the charts.

January 20, 2011 at 6:54 pm |