January 6th, 2011

Internet to replace TV as top news source?

ALT TEXT

PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES(L), CNN (R)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

We - meaning those of us in television news - may soon go the way of the dinosaurs.

A new report shows that the Internet is gaining on television as Americans' main source of national and international news.

The Pew survey shows overall 41% of those polled say they get their news from the Internet - that's up 17 percent from just three years ago.

Television still tops the list as the main news source at 66%, but that number is down significantly from 82% as recently as 2002.

Newspapers and radio are at the bottom of the heap in this survey.

Although the use of the Internet for news is growing among all age groups - it's especially pronounced among young people.

For the first time in 2010, the Internet was the main source of news for those under 30 years old.

There are also differences when it comes to education and income.

The survey found college graduates are just as likely to get their news from the Internet as television, while those who only have a high school diploma are much more likely to say TV is their top source of news.

When it comes to money, it's not a big surprise that wealthier people are more likely to get their news from the Internet than those with incomes under $30,000.

So - take a good look at Wolf and me while you still have the chance!

Here’s my question to you: Is the internet destined to replace television as the primary source of news?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Rich in Texas writes:
Not for a while yet. Even if people look at their computer screens instead of their TV screens, there will still be a need for responsible news reporting that people trust. The internet has no police or lie detector, which makes it very hard to tell what is true and what is not true. Since anyone can post to the internet, bad information flies around like crazy.

Bob in Ohio writes:
Unfortunately, the validity of television as a news source has become highly suspect because of biased news presentation by certain other networks. People who are able to think for themselves can get all sides of a story online easier than on television. I hope this doesn't mean I can't think for myself because I watch the Situation Room.

Jerry in Georgia writes:
Television is approaching an event horizon. It will be almost totally replaced by the internet in the very near future. Television will share a small place in inter-human communications as about as significant as ham radios today.

Frankie writes:
My computer has a newer screen than my television. I believe TV and the internet are going to become the same thing before too long. We will always need newsmen and newswomen however the technology changes. Not to worry!

Arlene in Illinois writes:
Well, Jack, welcome to the wonderful world of retirement!

Jim in Craig, Colorado writes:
You are making a distinction that is rapidly disappearing. I watch about half of my television via the internet. Right now I am watching Al Jazeera (English) via the internet because it is not available on cable/satellite here. I am also responding via the internet to a question you just posed on TV. I am using what was bought as a TV as a monitor, so it works great when I watch TV via the internet.

Bill writes:
No, Jack, there are still those of us who are sometimes just too lazy to read.

Carol in Northampton, Massachusetts writes:
You have a blog, Jack. That's 21st century; you are cool. We may be looking at you and Wolf on our little screens soon though.

Filed under: Internet • Journalism • News Media
  1. Gerry

No! T.V. news reports it as it occurs and the Internet reports it in depth with the ability to research it further. There is room for both forms of communication and thankfully so.

Gerry
    Ash Fork, Az.

January 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  2. Shirley, Parry Sound, Ontario

Gee, Jack. I still read newspapers everyday. Imagine that!

January 6, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  3. CRAIG R. MCNEES

Tampa, Fl Since our govt is already giving away free cell phones to our "poor", the next proposal is to give free internet, which they will then monitor even more closely that they already do. Looks like you & wolf are soon to be out of a job. That's the way it is.

January 6, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  4. Rich McKinney, Texas

Not for a while yet. Even if people look at their computer screens instead of their TV screens there will still be a need for responsible news reporting that people trust. The internet has no police or a lie detector on it so it makes it very hard to tell what is true and what is not true. Since anyone can post to the internet bad information fly's around like crazy. People will always have a need for reliable and accurate information in a crisis and that is where you and the Wolfe man come in.

January 6, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  5. Singh

It's true Mr. Cafferty. The internet is a far better source of news than the major news networks on TV. With the internet I can access the websites of the news networks and on top of that view the news of countries overseas and see it from their perspective, allowing a much broad view of the events. I can also see first hand homemade videos of people at the scene live instead of relying on journalists to deliver a story or perspective.
    New Jersey

January 6, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  6. Adam Simi Valley, CA

jack, I'm sorry but it is. With the advances made in technology and the ability to stay connected anywhere, the internet can reach people where TV can't. It's evolution. TV, however, is not yet obsolete, yet. Newspapers, on the other hand, are going to go the way of the telegraph long before TV.

January 6, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  7. Toni C

The line between watching TV and being online is very blurry. After all, when I'm watching tv through a service like TVDevo.com, I also am online since all the tv shows are streamed over the internet. Where do tv viewers like this fit into this report?

January 6, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
  8. Paul P.

It's more than likely television and the internet will integrate into one form accessible through TV's and WiFi portable devices. Content will probably be selected and downloaded and channels will be things you subscribe to. What I do hope is that traditional journalism survives and we aren't left with a cornucopia of blogs and slanted opinion sites we have now fouling up the internet.

January 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  9. Jeff In Minnesota

Where have you been Jack? Under a rock? The Internet is the television and visa versa. All of the broadcasters have Web sites and most show their archive footage over the Internet either on their own site or through YouTube, Hulu or similar. You're not going away, your just moving to a new venue. Sit down, take a pill and calm down!

January 6, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  10. Jane (Minnesota)

It shouldn't surprise anyone the TV news wouldn't fall victim to the internet. Look at what's happened to the Newspapers.

January 6, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  11. Dee in New Paris Ohio

Maybe it is. I think the danger of that is the internet is much more easily selective than even TV or other news sources. A person can locate the sites that report the news they agree with or like and ignore those that don't, more than radio or newspapers or TV, where an opposing opinion or the TRUTH might actually sneakk in once in a while.

Now, this brings up another question. Will a lot of the talking heads on TV soon be on the unemployment lines? If so I hope they band together, start a truth web site and let everyone know what was really going on all along, instead of some of the stuff that they are reporting now.

January 6, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  12. Ralph

No, maybe not Jack so long as programs like the Situation Room offer interactive opportunities to email comments to the Cafferty File, after which, we trade the mouse for the remote to see if you read ours on the air. Keep up the good work!

Ralph-Corpus Christi, Texas

January 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  13. Loren

Reading you on CNN.com, read the Chicago Tribune in print and haven't watched TV news in years. The slant in broadcast news is too aggravating, at least with the printed word, I have a way to readily compare sources, so if this 55 year old is evidence, internet has already replaced television.

January 6, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
  14. Gail, Plano TX

Gee, Jack, I sure hope not. I would very much miss u guys. And the Caffertty File is the best part of the Situation Room! So stay, please!

January 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  15. jeff in hawaii

Jack,

I'm afraid it's sad, but true. I grew up watching Cronkite, Huntley and Brinkley, John Chancellor, and other icons of their time, including Bernard Shaw. With the advent of cable news people don't have to watch what is true, just what they want to believe is true. The 3 networks will be the first to go. They only give you about eight minutes of news anyway, with the rest just commercials and fluff.

January 6, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  16. MIke in TX

Say it isn't so Jack, I can't find my way around most news sites now. Beside what would I do without you, Wolfe, Anderson, Ali, Brooke, John and Kiran all over my big screen everyday? I already know that none of you along with all your reporters and the greatest political team on TV don't look near as good on the laptop. Someone needs to get your PR and Marketing groups in action to turn this thing around for goodness sake.

January 6, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  17. Nurse Lisa in Shelton CT

yes, Jack, I can read faster than you guys can talk and I don't have to hear the stories that don't interest me before I review in detail those that do. (I promise to read with the same disdain and incredulity)

January 6, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  18. John, Fort Collins, CO

Be careful Jack. As more and more viewers move from television to the internet for their news, advertising revenue will go down and CNN personnel may get hit with a neutron bomb like the one that took out Harry Smith, Maggie Rodriquez, and Dave Price on the CBS morning news show. To save money, CBS brought in replacements that appear to be high school students.

January 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  19. Gail, Plano TX

Jack, I remember when we used to get the news when we went to the the movies, and the radio! I would miss the news on TV, especially the Cafferty File. Actually, it is the best part of the Situation Room! Never watch when u are not working. So while change is inevitable, I hope CNN will remain untouched by modern technology!

January 6, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  20. Mike from Denver

No, I think television as we know it and the internet will merge. You don't get out of this business that easy, Jack.

January 6, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  21. Arnold MI

Why don't we combine the internet with the TV. We will call it Google TV and it will star programs like CNN TV & cnn.com. Then we can use our wireless remote to blog while we watch the program. Sounds great to me.

January 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  22. Pete - Augusta Georgia

Yes. Largely because we once had news delivered to us in a thoughtful & fair manner by Murrow, Cronkite, Huntley & Brinkley, Chancellor, etc. Now we get Katie Couric, Brian Williams, Diane Sawyer, the CNN Wannabes & the biased NPR.
    Quality, honesty & integrity in the news media has been usurped by Nielsen ratings, market share & focus group responses.

January 6, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
  23. BOB K YOUNGSTOWN OHIO

Unfortunately the validity of television as a news source has become highly suspect because of biased news presentation by certain other networks. People who are able to think for themselves can get all sides of a story on line easier than on television. I hope this doesn.t mean I can't think for myself because I'm watch the Situation Room

January 6, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
  24. Bob in Fla

I don't know Jack, can I get the internet with rabbit ears?

January 6, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  25. Pete from Georgia

The Internet is the perfect venue for news and opinion forming. It meets all the criteria for the modern caniving world......................no authenticity, little or no integrity, no accountability, zero reprocussions for any behavior, truth purely manufactured, very little cost to the billionare corporations who control it.................gluttonous profits.
    Another gift to our children.

Manna from Heaven.

January 6, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  26. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Actually Jack, get used to showing your face and voice on the internet! Human beings cannot exist fully without some real human connection!

January 6, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
  27. Pete - Augusta Georgia

Yes, and not soon enough for me. We now have a full generation raised on television news & what do we have to show for it? It elected an inexperienced community organizer/part time Senator to the White House & a US Senate based largely on TV focus group responses to favorable images. Biased news reporting by television contributed to this sad condition – but the 2010 elections was an omen – an end to the television news media.
    Enjoy your retirement in Florida, Jack.

January 6, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  28. Birddog in Mississippi

I don't know about that, Jack. There's no actual 'reporting' on the Internet. It's either people reporting on reporting – basically stealing the actual journalist's stuff, or it's opinion. That's about it. Cable news isn't much better.

January 6, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  29. Vinnie

Of course. I have already ditched the TV and use it for my primary entertainment/news source.

January 6, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  30. Ed from California

For the "smart" phone generation perhaps. For us aged ones, I hope not. When I was young we watched Uncle Walter, Huntley-Brinkley, Jules Bergman, those type guys. Today we don't have those types of instutions , except for you and Wolf of course.

I do find myself though getting online more in search of different opinion and thoughts. I look at The Nation, Huffington, New York Times, Washington Post, The SF Chronicle, Hoops Hype among others, Newsweek. I do watch MSNBC and CNN for more broadcast information. I still like to have someone discussing the issues in "person", rather than just reading about it. Both types are very good sources, along with having good common sence to stift through the......nonsense and hatred.

January 6, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  31. Dick B

I think so but I suspect newscasters will still be there in the form of video like television broadcasts. Instead of television we will get live news broadcasts over the internet and I suspect Wolf and Jack will be the first to hit the broadband breakthrough.

January 6, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  32. Ryan Armistead

Jack, I hope CNN never goes away. I hope you especially never go away. If news has to be read by me, I will never know what the hell is going on. I get bored reading and I try not to do it. Matter of fact the directions are the first thing that I throw away. I like the way you look at the news and I agree with you 99.99% of the time. Its like we were separated at birth.
    Although that labor time would go down in history as the longest being as you are at least 20 years older than I am...

January 6, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  33. Annie, Atlanta

Yes. However, I can close my eyes and still conjur up the looks on yours and Wolf's faces the day you were sitting next to him talking about Katie Couric's interview with Palin. I hope never to lose that memory. Priceless.

January 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  34. HURRICANEPAUL from Hawaii

Jack, Dan Rather said he spent 5 years "investigating" George Bush for his "60 Minutes" show. The show where he held up those phoney "documents" three weeks before the elections.

It only took the Internet Bloggers an hour and a half to prove that those "documents" he held up to his "60 Minutes" cameras were forgeries.

Is the internet destined to replace television as the primary source of news?

It already has Jack, but you just don't know it yet.

January 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  35. Scott Stodden

I Seriously Doubt That It Would Jack! Television News Has Been Around For Years And For People Who Turn To Just The Internet Over Television News Are Fools! I Do Read News On The Internet But I Also Watch CNN All Through Out The Day With Great Anchors Like American Mornings John King & Kira Chetry, Kyra Phillips, The Great Tony Harris Who Recently And Sadly Left The CNN Family, Ali Velshi, Don Lemon, TJ Holmes, Candy Crowley, Anderson Cooper I Watch All These Shows Especially The Situation Room With Wolf Blitzer-Wolf Your The Greatest Ever, I Love How CNN Goes Directly To The Source When Reporting News And Jack Your Questions Everyday Are So Amazing As Well I Answer Your Questions Everyday That Your On And I Hate The Days That Your Not On Your A Great Journalist And You Need Your Own Show That Would Be Hot! CNN Is The Greatest For News 24/7!

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

January 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  36. Simon-Orlando

Network news will probably be the first to go. Talking heads giving us the news with their particular "slant" will be no more. It's also a matter of econmics. I pay $100 a month for cable. When I can get the internet for free, I'm not sure that watching Wolf is worth $1200 a year.

January 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  37. Jack - Lancaster, Ohio

Dear Jack:

Thank you for airing this comment on national Television, which I have posted to you...on the internet ! I don't need to see if it airs because I can check on all the comments tomorrow...on your website. Will the internet replace national broadcast media? You hope not because when those jobs in media are lost, they are not coming back. Media folk will have to go back to college and learn a new vocation for the future and then yaddi ya blah blah, you know.

January 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  38. Toni C - Chicago, IL.

January 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  39. Dave, British Columbia

No, I hope not. ... It works out much better for me if you and Wolf do all the work of sorting through and priortizing everything that happens in a day so that at the end of it I can just park my butt on my favorite chair and digest it. Thanks guys.

January 6, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  40. Chuck / La Garita, CO

If the www does start to dominate news coverage, a great many people will get no news. Remember the costs associated with
    being online, computer cost, service provider monthly payments
    etc... I guess if you cannot afford it, you get no news.

Will this then lead to all TV being online? A real bummer if it does.

Congress will jump all over the internet taking over the news, that way the lower middle class (me) will not know how bad they are being screwed, and we are. OUCH...

January 6, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
  41. Randy

It already has. You didn't think that Cargill, Boeing, halliburton, and walmart buy tons of ad space on the cable and network newscasts so you could get unfiltered news did you?

January 6, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  42. Linda in Arizona

It already has with me. I keep the television on for breaking news. Everything else that comes from tv is pretty much a bunch of corporate/government propaganda, and cnn is among the worst offenders. Fox is still in first place, of course, but it's not really a news channel, is it?

Oh, and you have a glaring grammatical error in the following sentence:

"So – take a good look at Wolf and I while you still have the chance!"

It's obviously Wolf and ME.

And I've seen enough of both of you to last a lifetime.

January 6, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  43. Jim Blevins

You are making a distinction that is rapidly disappearing. I watch about half of my television via the internet - right now I am watching Al Jazeera (english) via the internet because it is not available on cable/satellite here. I am also responding via the internet to a question you just posed on TV. I am using what was bought as a TV as a monitor, so it works great when I watch TV via the internet. My internet is supplied by the cable TV company and comes over the same wire. The only real problem comes from the money changers. BBC World News and DW-World News worked great via the internet, but that has been stopped so that TV can have a monopoly on them. Get the money changers out and there is almost no difference between TV and the internet.

Jim, Craig, CO

January 6, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  44. calaurore9

You have a blog, Jack. That's 21st century, you are cool. We may be looking at you and Wolf on our little screens soon, though.

Carol Colitti Levine
    Northampton, MA

January 6, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
  45. Gigi Oregon

That may be why America is on a down hill decline and backward country. Maybe we should all go home and listen to the 6:00 o'clock local news on the Radio.. Our grandparents seemed to brighter than most of us do. The whole country is becoming redneck and cynical.

January 6, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
  46. Dave

The fact that more and more people rely on the internet for news is not particularly disturbing. What's disturbing is the lack of editorial oversight on the internet. Anyone can write anything they want, with or without reliable sources or verifiability. Newspapers have historically had the highest editorial standards, and were the main source for much of the TV news. I'm more worried about the disappearance of newspapers than TV news.

Dave for Seattle

January 6, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
  47. Steve, Clifton, VA

It seems to me that the Internet is moving towards TV screens, so you guys have to keep up with the times. By the way, I can see Wolf here in Washington at a Wizards game. I don't know where you hang out!

January 6, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
  48. Nancy, Tennessee

When that favorite newsperson's voice comes over the airwaves each day, it sounds like a member of the family just walked through the door. No way will the Internet replace all the memorable personalities that make up the news teams across American. How else could we have felt the pain of President Kennedy's death than to watch a tear fall down the face of Walter Kronkite as he choked on the words. The television news rooms bring the news to life and help us understand our world. Long live television news.

January 6, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
  49. Frankie

My computer has a newer screen than my television. I believe TV and the internet are going to become the same thing before too long. We will always need newsmen and newswomen however the technology changes, not to worry!

January 6, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
  50. Ralph Spyer

Television news is censor , after 9/11 over two hunred jewish spies were deported Fox was the only station to run this store WHY

January 6, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
  51. Mike Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

I hope so, it is the only way to get around a handful of companies pushing agenda's instead of reporting news.

January 6, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
  52. Renee Peoria,Ill

Only for those who can afford a computer and internet access. Count the poor out.

January 6, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  53. Bill

No Jack, there are still those of us who are sometimes just too lazy to read.

January 6, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  54. Doug

Internet to CNN: Start streaming news live online.

January 6, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  55. Eric

the internet is going to replace television as the major source for television....much less the source for news.

January 6, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  56. Robert

Yes, Jack it will. I am 45 and a former network administrator. I began using computers in 1978 when I was 13.

Computers and the Internet will deliver and control everything. That is....until some terrorist/hacker shuts it down.

January 6, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  57. Dave Xanatos

I design web sites for a living, but for what it's worth, I leave my TV tuned to CNN for the majority of my day & evening while I work. You guys rock!

January 6, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  58. Austin/ New Hampshire

The modern age has brought the internet with easy access to the information you want when you want it. Read an article or watching a clip on the internet before the news even reports it is simply more efficient. I support the revolution.

January 6, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  59. Angela Savage Austin

If You Build It ....They Will Come...How hard is it to have CNN News as it happens on the Internet....Live Feed....If people spend more time on the internet ...go to where they are...easy access right at their finger tips. For me I want it straight from the Horses mouht...accountability.

Angela from Maryland

January 6, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  60. Don Tillman

It will for most. The greatest thing about it is that you can jump around on the net to validate stories and "tune-in" the news when you can or need to. My only concern is that most web articles lack the depth found in newspapers. The good news is that web news has the ability add that depth.

January 6, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  61. Sandy Zmolek, Eugene, OR

Dear Jack;
    As much as I enjoy getting my news from you, Ali Velshi and all your very capable co-workers, you will never be able to replace the morning coffee and newspaper combination!

January 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  62. Erik

Much of the news on the internet is shared and recorded from other sources of media. I have not found a lot of news to be intelligent or serious news on the internet. The internet is great to find some news stories but it seems that the quality of journalism is sub par.

January 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  63. Eric

Don't worry Jack, I'm not going anywhere. I guess I live in the past, however, because with only one television I have to insist on CNN in the early evening to the chagrin of my children.

Eric
    Shelocta, PA

January 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  64. Eric

I don't think so Jack. Some of the sites where people get there news from are just down right hogwash. I pefer hearing it from the news anchors just because I know the source is reliable.

January 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  65. Alden C. Sheremata

Computers work in Real Time which is something TV does quite well. Take a load off Jack. TV News is not going anywhere.

January 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  66. Annette

I don't think the internet will outdo the good ol tube! However, with time, as more Americans go out there and work, we will be running to the internet more often. Hey, I even watch Desperate Housewives on abc.com! Don't have the time to stay up to the wee hours of 9pm every Sunday night.

January 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  67. Kenny Marshall

Yes and no. Yes in that the internet will eventually replace TV completely. That is to say... the internet will become the preferred medium for delivering TV programs. No in that the medium will still be shaped by and resemble TV, and there will still be a need, and therefore a market, for distinguished looking sharply dressed talking heads.

January 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  68. Pete

Jack, the answer is no. That study clearly showed that people who aren't highly educated prefer TV to the internet because the don't have to actually read something (that is work).

January 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  69. Sarah

I'm not sure about everyone else, but for me being one of the aforementioned "Under Thirty", I can happily say I'm not part of the statistic that gets my news from the internet. There's too much to sort through online and too many sources that it just gets confusing. At least that's just me. I find it less stressful to sit and watch it and have the "live footage" than reading it. I feel it makes more of an impact that way.

Sarah
    Fernley, NV

January 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  70. Susan from Idaho

If you get three minutes of news and five minutes of commercials the internet seems like a shew in.

January 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  71. Ush

Yes, because people like getting unfiltered news. The tv media has become a cartel that colludes to keep out stories that need to be heard but that don't serve the corporate purpose. Without the internet or Jon Stuart there's no real news. How else would we have heard about 'Worst Responders'? You certainly weren't covering it.

January 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  72. A. Stirling

It is only a matter of time before it happens. I believe it was called "the great convergence" last I heard someone brought up this question, which means all forms of media will eventually converge towards the internet. Evolution occurs in many forms. Change is a part of life. Lets hope change doesn't include Sarah Palin becoming president.

January 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  73. Ed Fertik

CNN and other networks, especially NBC, can hardly be called news organizations. They have leftist political agendas and help leftist politicians as much as possible while at the same time trying to destroy those on the right. Paul Begala for example is a liberal attack dog paid by CNN....he's not a journalist. So anything thats brings us any measure of true journalism is welcome and the internet may bring us a new breed of those who actually like traditional journalism.

Philmont NY

January 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  74. Tazonio Anderson

I think that due to the advancements in our mobile technology, internet (predominately mobile web and other applications) will replace television news. People can download apps, get notifications, tweets, and such. television has just become something that people watch if they have time. I think that there will still be a majority of people watching news on Television, but as our technological capabilities grow, that number will dwindle.

January 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  75. Jim White

I think so, Jack. I now get most of my news off the internet because, with few exceptions, all I get on the cable is commentaries, opinions and commercials.

January 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  76. Simon

The internet may be on the rise, but it has yet to tap into the live market. I personally believe that watching a live telecast or listening to a radio station connects us all. The reason why I watch CNN is the same reason I'd listen to a song on the radio even if I had it on a CD. It's nice to know others are hearing the same thing with me.

January 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  77. Derek

Well, the internet is playing a bigger and bigger role in how Americans get their news, but I do not think it will replace television completly as a news medium.

January 6, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  78. Brady Bragg

Everyone seems to forget Jack, that a lot of the Internet news sites are television based, so if you, Wolf and your counterparts leave, the Internet will lose it's prime source.

I think the poll should have included the question, "Do you get your TV news via the Internet?"

Back to you Jack

January 6, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  79. JamesNJ

Sadly I do, but the bigger question is which is easier to manipulate and mislead ? Reporters like yourself (Jack) extend an air of honesty, their soul, and professionalism that makes us want to have that interaction with a news anchor or journalist on the tube.

January 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  80. Jeffery

Hi Jack. I think the internet will replace the tv as a main source of overall news. Based on the improvements of technology that's been taking place over the past 10 years, it's a possibility.

January 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  81. steve in fl

Replace? No, Jack. Compete with? Yes. The only problem with internet news is you need an ideological or political sieve to strain out any valid information. And truth? In the eyes of the beholder these days. Thats how we ended up with an Antiitax political movement that didn't even know they had just received a tax break. And tell those damn socialists to keep their hands off my medicare.

January 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  82. Ezra from Tucson

Yes, the internet provides users the ability to chose what news they want to read while television usually doesn't. The younger generation, myself included, don't like to wait to see the news that interests them when they can simply go online and find all the latest news almost instantly. Of course, this is not always a good thing because someone might only read one side of the story and not understand what truly happened. As long as there are news stations like CNN broadcasting on television, they will be my first choice of news since I can count on them being more trustworthy than some internet sites.

January 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  83. Marla

Internet could possibly replace TV. I'm 41. Live in Puerto Rico. I mostly obtain my worldnews from the internet and local news from local tv. DVR's make the need to watch your favorite programming whenever convenient. No need to run home for that prime time show. I know plenty of people in their 30's who simply DO NOT own televisions and own a few laptops and computer screens for online news and sites like HULU for TV. Netflix now provides on demand viewing of movies online as well......

January 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  84. Pat

I certainly think that the Internet has already replaced TV and Newspaper news reports. The news we see on our nightly Network news and/or local newspapers always contains news items that I had read on the internet a day or two before they got around to reporting it.

By the way I'm 76 years old, so the Pew researchers might rethink their idea that "young people" are the ones using the internet for news..... also I don't coniser byself in the upper financial brackets either.

January 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  85. Bob Mears

Jack, I could have replied to this question without turning on my TV. What do you think. Bob in Arizona.

January 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  86. Elliott L Sirkin

People may get their news from the Internet in the future, Jack, and some
    of the web-service providers like MSN really do have at least decent reporting– even though most of it comes from print sources..
    But if people are going to get their news from blogs and Youtube and that other biassed, amateur crap, we will have a very deluded electorate. Frankly, unless the WashingtonPost,.New York Times, CNN etc become web sites and nothing else, I don't think the Internet will ever replace the existing print and video platforms. It's too sleazy. ElliottSirkin North Cambridge MA

January 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  87. Adaya

The reason that TV news will die is that we can only get REAL news from the internet. TV news is not fair and unbiased, but is rather twisted and truth is aborted upon arrival at the news desk. CNN, CBS, NBC, FOX, all of them have agendas that have no connection to reality, and we are sick of being lied to. Nothing real comes from a monopoly, only propaganda.

January 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  88. chad from WI

Yes I do believe the Internet will replace TV news, particularly cable news. We the people are losing faith in the integrity of the biased agendas and skewed reporting. As a whole, cable news is no more trustworthy than our Federal government. Of course, you and Wolf are the exception to the rule here.

January 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  89. Annette Atlanta, GA

January 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  90. kathy peoria az

I hope not! I don't see how anyone can sit in front of a computer all day. I like having the tv on to hear the news because I can do other things and not just sit in front of it. Maybe I am not advanced enough on the computer because all I really like if for is to e-mail you Jack and to tell Rush Limbaugh was a bone head he is and members of Congress. That takes at least an hour.

January 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  91. Dawn Beyer

I know that my son who is 27 is trying his hardest to get us to drop our cable bill and sign up to net flix and Hulu. He claims that its a much cheaper way to view television and your not paying high costs to watch commercials. Our only problem is, we want to get the latest news and its not offered on these sights. His answer... I get my news from the Internet. There you have it.

January 6, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  92. Andre

Watched the question on TV and posted comments on the Internet. Need to say more?

January 6, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  93. Klipp

Jack, I've already given up on Television for my news source. CNN no longer stands for "Cable News Network" but rather "Commercial News Network" where we are given continous commercials interupted occasionaly by "Quick News Breaks". At least CNN on the Internet is (temporarly void) of all those senseless Commercials geared to the mentality of 6 year olds. Hopefully you will continue to be featured on the Internet.

January 6, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  94. Jeannette Schultz

I don't want the Internet to replace tv news because I enjoy the tv news personalities. That said, it is easier on the Internet to quickly sift out the "junk" and get to the "gems.". But who could ever replace you and Wolfe?

January 6, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  95. Jeff

Today people talk about "wire cutters" – those who choose cell phones over a traditional wired phone and home number. In 2 years you will be hearing about the " never wired" generation. This generation had cable TZv from mom and dad, but after leaving home they will omly have an Internet connection. It is their entertainment today -from Netflix to Hulu to CNN on line to watching last nihts "network" programs.

Sure TV will stay around, but the Internet will be the source of all information and news for the next generation.

January 6, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  96. Kwame Akuffo Drexel Hill, PA

I certainly don't think so, although the internet has attracted the generation of young people for advertisement, shopping, news, and etc, television will forever be the primary source of news. Television was the one who brought to all Americans the first man landing on the moon to the first african american president. Internet was destined from the day it was created, so was television. People are always and will be intrigued to hear the breaking news shows, and world wide events that television showcases.

January 6, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  97. Keith

TV news is here to stay. While i may get my stock quotes online durnig the day. Reading the news is work and after 6 the last thing i need is more work. When i want indepth coverage of the events of the day i turn to CNN news. Keep up the good work!

January 6, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  98. Morgan C

As a college freshman, I access the internet every day. Having the news made readily available on my homepage is far more convenient than having to tune into television broadcasts of the news. I can access specific topics that interest me, rather than see whatever the top news networks deem to be at the forefront of the nation's interest. For this reason, I and many of my generation are turning to the internet to be our top source of information about the goings-on in the world.

January 6, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  99. Gale Vozar

If TV news continues to repeat the same stories over and over I expect the internet will increase in popularity. Also remember the good old days when reporters asked questions that mattered, questions that were well researched and meant something to the American people, even if the politics behind the question weren't popular? If the TV reporters went back to forcing out the truth, even if it is ugly, maybe we go back to trusting television news.

January 6, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  100. Mark in Illinois

The internet at time is like a big opinion survey with information not documented by professional journalists. I hope not. But I am reminded of a joke Jay Leno said. During the fall presidential debates he asked his audience how many people watched the debates. A few folks clapped. He asked who saw the winner in dancing with the stars and the audience erupted in applause.

He said that is why we have the government we have.

Citizenship is hard work and too many people want to be spoon-fed information about what is news.

January 6, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  101. Ben - Edgewood, Maryland

Jack,
    If CNN shows more internation news, you might last long on TV.

January 6, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  102. Ken in NC

I fired TWC 2 years ago. It’s Hula, CNN, MSNBC, YOUTUBE, Internet Radio and Smoke Signals for me.

January 6, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  103. Joe Ferrara

Jack
    The internet choice has benefits not available from TV.
    I scan my news on the internet, and only read what is in my interest.
    Example: Sarah Palin. I can't stand that person!
    you, CNN can't seem to get enough of her!
    I watch what I want to watch, and nothing repetitive or shoved across the screen a million times over.
    That why Jack
    Joe Ferrara
    Eugene, OR

January 6, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  104. Don C.

Given its interactivity, it doesn't surprise me that more Americans are using the Internet to get the news that is important to their live. However, I believe that a majority still like to be spoon fed their opinions (whether they realize it or not.) Your job is safe for now Jack.

January 6, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  105. ed

Sure why not. Its quick, fast and accessible.Unlike TV, you don't have to duel over the remote and argue about who wants to watch CNN every 2 hours.

January 6, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  106. Paul Mathai

I don't think you or Wolf have to worry about your jobs, because CNN does hold no. one spot in the news business. It is the clowns in Fox and other so called news organisations, who will be history

January 6, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  107. hbailey

No, TV news reporting is still a more credible source but has lost some ground due to bogus and bias reporting

January 6, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
  108. Beth Hancock

You think the web is taking over television news? Heck, the internet is becoming the favorite source of television, period.

January 6, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
  109. Strom

Absolutely. In Anglophone demographics, it won't be long.

Strom In James Island, South Carolina

January 6, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  110. M.Rains- Ontario

Of course it will Jack, While CNN is spending five minutes on an irrelevant story about Sarah Palin followed by a real loud commecial, I can ckeck BBC or CNN news and find out 7 or 8 important stories with no LOUD commercials.

January 6, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  111. david

So everybody is wondering why should people believe anything on the internet. Well, why should you believe anything on television news? Just try to answer that question.

David from Maryville, Illinois

January 6, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
  112. Danny

From: Long Beach, CA

Thanks to the popularity of Web sites such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, the Internet has probably surpassed TV as the place where young people spend most of their free time. I think journalism will need to adapt to this demographic trend in order to stay afloat. Young people like to digest their news in tiny bits and pieces. Aspiring journalists in this new era will need to learn how to utilize text, images and video in an interactive format to reach out to this age group. That being said, TV news isn't going away anytime soon. No need to worry, Wolf and Jack. Your jobs are safe.

January 6, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
  113. Jeff

Back in the good old days of the 1990's, and for decades before that, the only sources of daily political news was television and newspapers. Back then, people were flipping through many news stories to find one story in particular. As a result, the average person took in a whole lot more information back then. With today's technology, people go straight to the one hot news story, and that is it. The result has been a dumbing down of America over the last 15 years. This has been further compounded by people wasting their computer time on embarrassing social networking sites, rather than news and other informative sites. Advanced technology has made our society much more ignorant as our parents and grandparents generations knew alot more about politics and other issues of the day than the people of 2011

January 6, 2011 at 6:47 pm |