December 16th, 2010

What will you remember most about Larry King?

ALT TEXT

(PHOTO CREDIT: LOU ROCCO/CNN)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Tonight night marks the end of an era - not just at CNN but in cable television.

Larry King will do his final live, nightly broadcast for CNN at 9 p.m. ET tonight. And when he walks out of the building, there will be a space that will never be filled quite the same way again.

In fact, if it weren't for King, it's entirely possible I wouldn't be doing this job right now. And a lot of the rest of us in this business wouldn't be either.

When CNN was in its infancy and the rest of television was laughing at Ted Turner's idea, King came along and put this network on his back and carried it until its credentials as a viable news organization were accepted by the viewing public.

And along the way, he became the gold standard for talk television. So many of his interviews made the news elsewhere.

There wasn't anyone in the last 25 years he didn't talk to on CNN - including Presidents Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton, George H.W. and George W. Bush, and Barack Obama.

Entertainers such as Marlon Brando, Johnny Cash, Paul McCartney and Barbra Streisand - virtually everyone from the world of show business - and foreign leaders such as Mikhail Gorbachev, Margaret Thatcher, Nelson Mandela and Vladimir Putin. Impressive doesn't do justice to his resume.

He also was very kind to a first-time author when something called "It's Getting Ugly Out There" was published.

I have known Larry since my days at WNBC-TV in New York when he would occasionally be a guest on my program there, "Live at Five."

He's a class act. He's my friend. And I, along with millions of television viewers, will miss him.

Here’s my question to you: What will you remember most about Larry King?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Bob in Ohio writes:
I will remember that once upon a time interviews were conducted with courtesy, class, and civility, while at the same time addressing important topics. That's why most of the world's prominent figures were willing to sit down with Mr. King.

Toni writes:
I had to get up at 3am to make my husband's lunch and send him to work. The radio show by Larry King was the most entertaining radio program that I ever heard. Pretty soon, I was looking forward to getting up at that hour so that I could listen to Larry. The sports commentary intrigued me even though I wasn't much of a sports fan. His knowledge amazed me. Larry King and I became inseparable. He'll always be a part of my life...and he doesn't even know it!

Karen in Idaho writes:
I will remember the episodes featuring Jack Hanna. Larry was always so afraid of the reptiles and bugs and Jack delighted in putting them on Larry's jacket and making him touch them. We got many a laugh from the two of them.

Nancy in Reno, Nevada writes:
Before CNN, I was a single mom raising 3 children by dressmaking at home. I survived by working late at night (after tucking the kids in) listening to Larry on the radio. His funny stories and irreverent kiss-offs to rude callers kept me awake, kept me informed, kept me laughing and working. Thank you Larry King for helping support my kids! All three are college grads now, and one is a doctor!

Lois writes:
The different shapes and colors of his suspenders, and how he always puts his hands under his chin following each question he asks. Cool!

Nancy in Texas writes:
Known for his open-ended interviews and diplomatic comments, he is a true gentleman and good listener. Media does not need to give us all young and good looking people. We want substance and intelligence.

Patrick in Arizona writes:
I type this with a great big smile on my face, "Hello, Altoona! Altoona, you're on!" in his signature raspy voice. An absolute pleasure to watch!

Steve in Florida writes:
Listening to Larry's Miami radio show at 2 in the morning to keep me company on my regular trips from Miami to the Florida Keys. That and his interview with Abraham Lincoln.

Filed under: News Media
  1. Olga

The art of listening is something that defined Larry King for me.

Olga
    Austin, Texas

December 16, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
  2. Gary Bellew

"Hello, you're on the air".

Gary, MO

December 16, 2010 at 1:13 pm |
  3. Curtis

His interviews with the current Iranian President. Larry was very professional with the mad man.

December 16, 2010 at 1:16 pm |
  4. Bob K. Ohio

I wil remember that once upon a time interviews were conducted with courtesy, class, and civility, while at the same time addressing important topics. That's why most of the worlds prominent figures were willing to sit down with Mr. King.

December 16, 2010 at 1:20 pm |
  5. Dennis north Carolina

all the great interviews that he had over the years.

December 16, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  6. Nancy in Texas

Known for his open-ended interviews and diplomatic comments,
    he is a true gentleman and good listener. Media does not
    need to give us all young and good looking people. We want
    substance and intelligence.

December 16, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  7. Alex in Gig Harbor, WA

His suspenders!

December 16, 2010 at 2:16 pm |
  8. Lene', IL

His suspenders..lol

December 16, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  9. Gary H. Boyd

His suspenders.

Gary Boyd in Scottsdale, Arizona

December 16, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  10. Bizz Quarryville Pennsylvania

The first thing I think I will miss is the suspenders. The second thing and most important would the style of interview that belonged only to Larry king. He was able to ask very personal questions of his guest but in a way they did not mind answering and would not have said anywhere else Barbara Bush saying Sarah Palin should stay in Alaska and exposing the truth in the balloon boy fiasco. [ Who in the hell is Wolf ! ] Larry King is unique and cannot be replaced. I just wish CNN would have made a bigger deal of him leaving.

December 16, 2010 at 2:45 pm |
  11. tom mackiewicz/fort salonga new york

his suspenders and his way of getting under peoples skin that got them to give him exactly what he was after!

December 16, 2010 at 2:47 pm |
  12. JENNA ROSEVILLE CA

What will you remember most about Larry King?

What I will remember is that he asked probing questions and was NOT biased.

I hope he enjoys his next project, because we all know that he is not the type of man to just "retire".

I wish him well.

Jenna
    Roseville CA

December 16, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
  13. Lois, Ont., Canada

What I will remember most is all the different shapes & colours of his'suspenders & always puttting his hands under his chin following each question he asks. Cool!!!!

December 16, 2010 at 3:01 pm |
  14. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Larry WHO? Oh yeah, the guy that wears suspenders and has all kinds of neat people on his show. I guess the big thing is that he doesn't come across as a know it all and try to grill his guests with the same question over and over.

December 16, 2010 at 3:06 pm |
  15. Angelique M Preto

I will remember Larry King as one of the Old school types of reporters asking questions one on one to very important, private and entertaining people in the World. One of the few to capture my attention long enough to allow his guest and him in to my living room informing and entertaining my on a level that not many have done. He is place up there with Phil Donahue < Mike Douglas, Jack Parr and Johnny Carson before Letterman. It's not the image or the man that will be missed but the work of a great interviewer that will. I wish you well. Sir.

December 16, 2010 at 3:11 pm |
  16. Paul P.

I'll remember his relaxed, laid back, non-biased interview style that made people comfortable instead of squirm in their seats. He let people finish their thoughts in an era today where people are constantly cut off and confronted. This helped enable Larry to last as long as he did and attract guests nobody else could.

December 16, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
  17. Rick McDaniel

He could conduct an interview, without becoming an antagonist.

December 16, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
  18. Terry in Chandler, AZ

I used to listen to Larry on the late night Mutual Broadcasting System show and stayed with him when he joined CNN. Listening and technique are key words. He listens like none other in the business. And his technique in asking questions. Young people wanting to learn the business should review radio tapes and watch archives of Larry's years on CNN if they want to learn and learn from the best.

December 16, 2010 at 3:32 pm |
  19. Elijah Aradion Magutu

Suspenders and interviews I am not sure I will remember in 2011.

December 16, 2010 at 3:36 pm |
  20. Steve

It was always great to see the rich and famous from all areas of the world relax with a host that really had no political agenda. I will sorely miss that..let me correct that..AMERICA will miss that..

December 16, 2010 at 3:36 pm |
  21. Karen, Idaho

December 16, 2010 at 3:39 pm |
  22. Noreen Akhtar

What i will remember most about Larry King – is his straight forwardness. He has always been to the point and gets straight down to business, right down to the controversies, to the scandals and most importantly to the facts!
    He knew how to get someone talking and he also knew how to get his viewers/fans watching!
    You will be missed!
    Noreen Akhtar
    Toronto, Canada

December 16, 2010 at 3:48 pm |
  23. Nancy Moore

Thank you Larry King for helping support my kids! All three are college grads now, and one is a Dr.!

December 16, 2010 at 3:50 pm |
  24. Chris from Charlotte

Jack,

I'll remember Larry King for many reasons. However, the Alan Arkin interview when Kevin Pollak calls in impersonating Alan Arkin. That had to be one of the funniest interviews of 20th century.

December 16, 2010 at 3:52 pm |
  25. Nancy

Whenever anything of major importance happened in the nation (or the world for that matter) I knew that Larry King would have the best experts on to analyze the event and give the best feedback. It was always a great learning experience watching his program.

December 16, 2010 at 3:55 pm |
  26. Steve, Clifton, VA

Larry King epitomizes Class. I will remember his natural ability to talk to Kings, Queens and Presidents with the same comfort and ease as he talked to a homeless person. Everyone that he interviewed felt confident that he would be fair..that he would be honest. These are rare personal characteristics in today's media but they were so natural for Larry.

December 16, 2010 at 3:57 pm |
  27. Rosemary LaFollette

I will remember Larry Kings genuine chuckles. I will also remember and appreciate his coverage of 9/11. I think his concentrated quiet interviews where treasures that allowed you to know the person behind the persona..

Rosemary
    Laurys Station, PA

December 16, 2010 at 3:57 pm |
  28. Tammy

My favourite Larry King moment? Jan 13, 1998 – watching Larry interview Diane Sawyer – sitting there enjoying and then oppps my water breaks and so I never got to finish.

December 16, 2010 at 3:58 pm |
  29. Charles M

What comes to mind most when i think of Larry King Live is when he asked a victim of the Great White concert fire what is was like being in a coma.

December 16, 2010 at 4:00 pm |
  30. Annie, Atlanta

What I'll remember most is what my youngest son said to me when he heard that Mr. King was retiring. "You know you've made it when you're a guest on Larry King Live."

December 16, 2010 at 4:00 pm |
  31. Tina Tx

Those red suspenders.

December 16, 2010 at 4:06 pm |
  32. Marilyn from Ohio

Larry King was polite to his guests and was a one-of-a-kind interviewer. I enjoyed his show because, unlike other networks, he didn't let guests shout over one another. When you get up there in age, like you and me Jack, you can't understand anything when more than one person talks at the same time! 9:00 PM will not be the same for me.

December 16, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  33. Not Frost bit

Who could forget that scurrilous response by Donald Trump about Larry King's supposed bad breath on the air that was never necessary or appropriate by THE DONALD!

December 16, 2010 at 4:14 pm |
  34. Linda

I have watched CNN since Day 1 and therefore, I have watched Larry King Live since Day 1. I will miss his interviews and his unique manner in his skills of interviewing techniques. Not afraid to step outside of the norm and a risk taker at times in choices of person(s) or groups he interviewed over the years.

As a Will and Grace fan of NBC Must-See-TV on Thursday nights, I loved his 2 interviews with the cast. Thank you for those memorable nights for me.

Larry King Live is appointment viewing for me and so when he goes, I go too. Nobody can replace him in that time period of evenings with Larry King Live.

December 16, 2010 at 4:16 pm |
  35. John K McInerney

I want his suspenders!

December 16, 2010 at 4:19 pm |
  36. JJ

My favorite was when Larry and Marlin Brando kissed!! WHAT A MEMORY!!!
    Cookeville, TN

December 16, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
  37. Toni Botello

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    I had to get up at 3:00 a.m. to make my husband's lunch and send him to work. The radio show by Larry King was the most entertaining radio program that I ever heard. Pretty soon, I was looking forward to getting up at that hour so that I could listen to Larry. The sports commentary intrigued me even though I wasn't much of a sport fan. His knowledge amazed me.Larry King and I became inseparable. He'll always be a part of my life...and he doesn't even know it!

Toni Botello
    Rio Grande City, Texas

December 16, 2010 at 4:23 pm |
  38. John Breen

I think when he messed up a couple times with Paul and Ringo during the Cirq Vegas show. I can't imagine how easy it could be to ask questions and have this little mini reunion with these guys and Larry messed up some questions and Paul and Ringo teased him a bit. Larry seemed like a fan so I'm sure he was nervous and Paul and Ringo as always so cool and understanding,,,,

December 16, 2010 at 4:26 pm |
  39. Pat Trager

My favorite show was in January of 2004 with the classy Kim Novak. She responded to his question about not having had children by saying, "When something is meant to be, it opens and unfolds." It remains one of my favorite quotes of all time. Thank you Larry and Happy Retirement.

Tucson, AZ

December 16, 2010 at 4:29 pm |
  40. Jaime Diaz

The things I will miss the most are his suspended pants and his crazy snoopy's sneakers!!! You the king Larry, you will always be!

December 16, 2010 at 4:33 pm |
  41. Loren

Sorry, but I won't remember anything but the SNL parodies. Only watched him a few times and he seemed to inject too much of himself into his interviews, which made it difficult to watch. I can say he's better than Keith Olbermann.

December 16, 2010 at 4:35 pm |
  42. Gerald (Tampa, FL)

My best memory, which was too long ago, was when he did an interview when Janet Jackson and they both danced. I wondered how he kept up with her. It was something.

December 16, 2010 at 4:41 pm |
  43. Veronica, Rialto,CA

His ablitiy to get guests we all want to hear from and see.

December 16, 2010 at 4:42 pm |
  44. Edward Nashville, TN

Hands down has to be when Marlon Brando gave him a big kiss on the mouth.

December 16, 2010 at 4:44 pm |
  45. Carlos

Just has to be the time Marlon Brando kissed him on the lips. I think Larry rather enjoyed it! That has to be a TV classic, because Brando just reached and plucked a dumb struck King on the lips. Great moment........

December 16, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
  46. Carl

I'll remember his laugh. He's easy to watch and asks common sense questions, and most importantly, he lets his guests say what they have to say. He has set the bar very high.

December 16, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
  47. Marsha Bard

Larry King was a polite interviewer.... so unlike so many others who don't seem to know the etiquette of an interview. Larry had a way of showing respect for the person being interviewed – This is what I will miss the most, since most those remaining, including those on CNN, tend to try to speak over others, interupt them and basically show little respect. Their interviews are annoying, while Larry King was both informative and entertaining. He will be greatly missed.

December 16, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
  48. AndyZag Lynn, MA

Laryy has CLASS. No matter the guest, Laryy is unflappable. At times I fell his questions are a bit soft. No matter, I'm so tired of the shouting matches between interviewers and their victims; a.k.a. guests. Larry was always a complete, consumate professional. I truly hope the management at CNN lets Larry to do specials similiar to Soledad. Give him total latitude in his choice of people and topics and let's see where Larry takes us. And for Larry: I raise a glass in your name and toast you in the following manner: Larry, good health and may you outlive the hundred year old oak tree, whose seed I shall plant tomorrow.

December 16, 2010 at 4:57 pm |
  49. Gail, Plano TX

My mother who died 5 years ago, absolutely adored Larry King and watched his show every night. He is a gentleman and I will remember him fondly. Men of his calibre are a rarity these days. Respectful, informative, and entertaining. And I will remember his trademark, those wonderful suspenders!

December 16, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  50. Greg

There are so many moments from Larry's 25 years on television. The one that stands out to me is when Tammy Faye Baker chose to say good-bye to America on Larry's show. It was a hard hour to watch, knowing that this would be her last public appearance. Larry, as he always did, let the focus of the show focus on the guest. He knew how to ask the right questions, the questions we were all thinking. It wasn't more than 24 hours later, Tammy was gone.

It takes a special person to help someone say goodbye. He showed class and grace that night, as he always did.

December 16, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
  51. Mike from Denver

I will remember a journalist with integrity. In a world of sensationalist reporting, Mr. King represents the very best of the profession. We shall all miss him.

December 16, 2010 at 5:03 pm |
  52. Dave, Vancouver

The thing I'll miss most about Larry King is the way he makes me feel. He treats his audience and his guests with respect, he asks the questions I would ask, he never needs to go for the jugular to get the story, and he never makes himself the focal point. You know when you spend an hour with Larry that you'r going to learn something, that you're going to be entertained, and that you're going to come away feeling just a little bit better about things. He's like a good brandy after a long day.

December 16, 2010 at 5:03 pm |
  53. Gerald Borch

A favourite was the Irving Berlin special – Michael Feinstein and Karen Akers singing "Always". Mr. King tried to sing along – not good.

December 16, 2010 at 5:08 pm |
  54. jerry gottlieb

Larry King is an iconic figure in American journulism. His interviews have been informitive and without bias which unfortunately has become very rare today. He appears to be respected by virtually all his peers in his industry which is also rare today. He has filled a void left by Walter Cronkite, Barbara Walters, and Tom Brokaw. This void will never be filled by the likes of Fox News !! CNN did America a great service by bringing us Larry King. He will be missed !

Jerry
    Austin, Texas

December 16, 2010 at 5:10 pm |
  55. Webb Mankato, MN

I liked his radio program the best – especially Open Phone America

December 16, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
  56. Renee Peoria,Ill

His objectivity. As he said last night in his interview with Barbra, he just asks the questions. He never imposed himself or his own personal views on his guests; the mark of a truly professional broadcaster. That's a quality that is all too swiftly disappearing from the industry. Everyone, on every news network, should be taking lessons from Mr. King. Can't wait to see his first special!

December 16, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
  57. George Seeber

I greatly appreciate Larry's great ability to respect each and every person and to listen to their own unique story. I never noticed a judgmental streak in him, and am grateful especially for interviews with persons who have truly influenced our society. I wish him good health and contentment as he moves on to other endeavors and another phase of life.

December 16, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  58. David Dinkins

Jack, My favorite Larry King memory took place across the radio waves. Sometime in the mid 80s I think. I was traveling across the Central/Hill Country area of Texas, say about 10/11 PM. Back country roads with no activity. Windows down with nice chill in the air that awoke my senses. The sky was very clear affording a great view of the moon and stars in the darkness. Couldn't get much better? I turned on the radio and the voice of God says broadcasting from St. Louis, Larry King. I was blown away by the clarity so many miles away. Then to hear this great voice, speaking only to me....it was a very fine moment. So much so, when I arrived at the next country town I located a phone booth and called in. I really wanted to share my moment, the experience. The screener wasn't too impressed with a yahoo from Texas...and that was that.

December 16, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  59. Susan from Idaho

I always felt Larry was respectful of his guests privacy. If there was the slightest inference from anyone that the subject was not welcomed he retreated with grace. He always laughed when appropriate and seemed genuinely interested in everyone he interviewed.

December 16, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  60. Scott Stodden

I Have Always Loved The Larry King Show And I Have Watched Since I Can't Remember When But I'll Remember Most The Style He Did His Interviews, The Way He Would Ask Questions-Simple, Honest And To The Point And Hey Who Can Forget All His Colorful Suspenders! Larry Your One Of The Best Ever In The Business And You Will Be Missed Forever By Not Just The CNN Colleagues But Also By Everyone Here In The United States And Around The World. Its So Sad To See You Go Larry But We Know All Good Things Must Come To An End, Thank You For All The Years You Gave Us, Its Been One Hell Of A Ride!

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

December 16, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  61. Ken in Maryland

Those suspenders, of course. And the Brando kiss.

December 16, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  62. Erik, Minnesota

It is a sad day for suspenders.

December 16, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  63. Margaret Kelly

Larry King is like a favorite relative (who has the coolest friends) who sometimes asks questions that make you feel uncomfortable, but does it in a way that is engaging and earnest. You really want to hang around and hear the answers.

I've learned a lot from listening to his interviews. I can't list my favorites...there are too many. He is going to be irreplaceable. He didn't have to go after ratings. He got them by creating a genuine brand. I hope a network picks him up.

Margaret
    Grosse Pointe, MIchigan

December 16, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  64. Gail

I will miss his famous suspenders – he is the only one who can get away with such colors!!!!

December 16, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  65. Omar

His supenders among other things.

December 16, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  66. James (NY,NY)

An icon, Larry King is a wordly man by all accounts who has the capability of asking questions and touching hearts like perhaps no other man on this Earth.

December 16, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  67. Diana

I'll remember that I always had something of quality to watch @ 9pm...

December 16, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  68. Michael

Suspenders.

– Michael
    Chagrin Falls, OH

December 16, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  69. Lori Bowser

I will remember how fair Larry King is.He seem to give everyone a chance.Not only the stars but everyday people.I wish I could have had the chance to meet him.What a great man

December 16, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  70. Zahra

He was always fair and spoke of a variety of issues and I will miss him

December 16, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  71. Jamal

Jack, I was young when this happen, but I remeber that a family member of mines was on there.

December 16, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  72. Bob Hiller

His patience and style, there will never be another ‘Larry King’!!
    Jack, you put a tear in my eye just talking about Larry.
    Thank you Larry, I will miss you.
    Bob Hiller
    Gaines, MI

December 16, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  73. Juanita

I am going to miss Larry a lot. He is always so decent and so impartial to his guests. He is a rare man!

December 16, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  74. Sarah , Austin

As a 30 year old, I have literally grown up with Larry King reporting the news. I feel that this is not only a closing chapter for Larry, but for a substantial amount of legendary journalism, too. Never wavering, Larry has stood his ground with pressing and inquisitive questions, clearing setting a high par. There's no substitute for Larry; he is a "King".

December 16, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  75. Margery from Chicago

I love whenever Larry talks about Brooklyn as he did even last night with Barbra Streisand. There's nothing like growing up in Brooklyn and it is such a good warm feeling to know that he shares my love for my hometown – especially because now I live in the Midwest and lots of people just can't identify with Brooklyn.

December 16, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  76. Dayle

I will miss Larry's innocent, infectious laugh. His sense of humour is unrivalled. It made him one of us.

London, ON

December 16, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  77. Julian from Hialeah, FL

I'll always remember what made him such a legendary man. His unique ability to be personable and let his guest tell their story unlike anybody else. He was hard hitting when necessary but made his program a comfortable platform for the biggest newsmakers of our time.

December 16, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  78. Patrick from Arizona

I type this with a Great Big Smile on my face, "Hello, Altoona!!, Altoona your on!! in his signature raspy voice. An Absolute Pleasure to watch!

December 16, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  79. Patrick in Mchigan

I first started listening to Larry King years ago when he was on late night radio and I was workin midnight road patrol for the Sheriff's Dept. here. What I remember most was how well versed the man was. He could talk to anyone from all walks of life and ask the questions that I would want to hear the answers to. I've watched him on CNN and I will definitely miss him. Someone new will fill the time slot, but no one will replace Larry King.

December 16, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  80. Bob in Houston

Larry's smile and his suspenders; we will miss you.

December 16, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  81. larry white

His Suspenders

December 16, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  82. Jeff C in Michigan

I remember Larry in his very earliest days at WIOD Radio in Miami in the late 60's/early 70's when he was the color commentator for the Miami Dolphins in addition to his talk show hosting duties. He was no less professional in his earliest days, bringing high caliber guests to his show and providing articulate and stimulating commentary to professional football. I doubt that there is any venue where Larry would not feel at home. His remarkable insight and provocative questioning should serve as a gold standard for aspiring journalists of ANY medium. A legacy, indeed!

December 16, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  83. Ginger King

Those damn suspenders.

December 16, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  84. Bob Hiller

His laugh, his respect for all his guests, it takes a special person to sit through some of the interviews Larry did. He is a true champion!!

December 16, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  85. Mike Canton, OH

Larry King has been on CNN longer than I have been alive. But, with that being said Larry has always had an interesting guest or topic on his show. I will remember always being able to tune in and be entertained, educated, and interested. We all shall miss him.

December 16, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  86. Ken in NC

I will remember him for not being to scared to ask the questions, in a respectful manner, that most media avoided asking. I will remember him for not backing down from guest that didn't like his question and felt they could control the questioning process by whinning as if they or their "famous name" had been harmed in some way. I remember my young daughter laughing and calling Larry King "One Cool Old Dude".

December 16, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  87. Mark in Maryland

My best memories of Larry King were listening to his radio talk show, back in the 70's. My Sound design clock radio could pick up his AM radio signal from New York City (I lived in Rockville, Maryland). There was nothing like lying in bed at 3 AM in the morning listening to Larry's very distinctive voice over the AM air waves. For a 12 year old, it was not only interesting, but seemed magical tuning in a New York City radio station from 200 miles away......

December 16, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  88. Tom, New York

Larry King asks his questions calmly, clearly and without presumption and actually listens to the answer. 90% of interviewers interrupt their subjects, especially if it's not the answer that serves the interviewer's agenda. Larry gives his subjects the room to be themselves, and seems to really connect with and feel for them, whether bad or good. An amazing journalist with taste, class and integrity.

December 16, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  89. Alex

There's only one right answer, Jack: His dashing style.

December 16, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  90. Mary Narkiewicz

I'll remember his steadiness..on every night for years and years. I can't believe his last night is tonight. It's my birthday today and this is one of the events I won't forget on this 61st birthday.

So many memories it's hard to pick just one out to talk about. Marlon Brando? Mick Jagger? Your interviews with famous prisoners in jail?
    I'll miss you Larry!

December 16, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  91. Ronda (from Canastota, NY)

What I enjoyed most about Larry is that his questions were short, to the point and sincere. It didn't matter who he was interviewing. He came across as unrehearsed, letting topics flow as they will rather than trying to constantly steer his guest in one direction or another. He was more like a real person instead of just a talking head. I'll miss him.

December 16, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  92. Alvina Lee

I will remember my nine o'clock date every night. Larry was my Canadian Night, Night. Night, Night Larry....Alvina

December 16, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  93. Sileshi Zewdie

Larry King can read my mind. He exactly asks my questions to the interviewees! He really reached my soul.Long live Larry!

December 16, 2010 at 5:25 pm |

L oving
    A ttentive
    S uper
    S uspenders

December 16, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  95. Peter

What I will remeber most is how plain and down to earth he is. He dosen't have to do a cart wheel or hurl an insult to get your attention he just has to be himself. Also his sincre intrest in absolutely anything wether he's talking to presidents or plumers, he treats them all the same caring curious way.

December 16, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  96. Kyle Plumadore

My most memorable moment of Larry King was September 11th 2001. He was so calm and collected. He did his very best to not let the emotions (though warranted) of the moment cloud the information and just reported the news. The man has a calm mind and is a rare gem in the world of TV and reporting. Even we in canada will miss you sir!

December 16, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  97. Shane from Indiana

Larry King is the heart and soul of CNN. Things will just never be the same without him.

December 16, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  98. Bill

Dear Jack,

As a Merchant Mariner I have fond memories of navigating down the Pacific coast on the night watch and tuning to Larry's show via AM radio. I've been missing that for a long time now.

God bless him.

Bill,
    Jupiter, FLA.

December 16, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  99. Joan Swindell

What I will remember most about Larry King are his late night radio shows years ago. He was somewhere in the ranks of Long John Neville, Jean Shepherd, and Barry Farber. Hearing about the glamor of Hollywood over the airwaves was a thrill.

TV is wonderful, but some things are more dramatic when left to the imagination, rather than seeing the celebrities in the cruel light of HDTV.

December 16, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  100. Peter

What I will remember the most about Larry is the homey feel he brings to each show. Larry King could be your grandfather, your father, your brother, your uncle, and your best friend all at the same time.

December 16, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  101. Bob Harrington

I was working in Moscow in 1991,listening to "Larry King Live" kept me going whenever I got homesick.
    Bob
    Okanagan Falls,British Columbia, Canada

December 16, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  102. Patty Blankenship

The best memory is when I worked night shift and his show on Mutual radio was broadcast late in the night. He kept me going with his talk about baseball and all sports really with very interesting guests. He brought that essence to CNN and you had to love how much he knew about so many things. He definitely is a man about the world...He will be missed. Good Luck Piers.

December 16, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  103. Jared

When he had on H. Ross Perot and Al Gore debate about NAFTA.

H. Ross Perot had a great understanding about how globalists like the Bushes and the Clintons would sell out the American people to international bankers and the corporate lobbyists.

H. Ross Perot understood the importance of having enviornmental controls and labor unions to stop the tyranny of multinational corporations.

December 16, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  104. Susie Helgeson

I am from Sacramento County in a little town named Elverta in California.
    I always liked his religious panel discussions especially the one that included Mattie Stepanek. His interviews with Lawrence Black were hysterical and so many others. I liked the ones with Jack Hanna, and also the one with Steve Irwin's family. Thank you Larry for the laughs, the dignity in which you covered disasters and that last interview with Billy Graham. Also your coverage of the Pope's funeral when he passed away and of course Ronald Reagan's funeral too. So many historical moments that you were a part of. God bless you Larry. Going to miss you!

December 16, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
  105. BERNARUDS JACOBUS VAN ETTEN

"hang on we got a live report" OJ is in his Bronce
    lets go and see............
    This was the beginning of LIVE TV... thanks to LARRY KING!!!!

December 16, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
  106. Taral patel , Hickory , Nc

There are many kings , There are many larrys But there is only one larry king. Best of luck larry

December 16, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  107. Muyi Nehikhare

Those suspenders.. I love to see them

December 16, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  108. Bob Mears

It is not what I will miss, it is what America gets. Another nail in the coffin of sane journlism. These other 24 hour news channels rant and rave about their political agenda to the point of outright lying. I welcome him to a group accomplished journlist, Walter Cronrite ring a bell?

December 16, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  109. Dr. Dil Ahmad

His non hostile approach to interviews and most of all his " Suspenders".

December 16, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  110. ZJ

Considering what's been in the news lately, my favorite LK moment was when Larry schooled Julian Assange after Assange called rape 'trivial.' Considering his usual non-confrontational style, it was nice to see Larry sneak one in there.

December 16, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  111. honest John in Vermont

Larry's had so many great guests that it is hard to think of one. The main thing is that Larry was always a class act who usually made his guests comfortable. Some would say he was too gentle of an interviewer but I think Larry is just a very polite guy and...why not.

December 16, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  112. MaGoo

We are missing Mr Suspenders already:& do not foresee anyone who could truly fill his shoes. He was (is) a class-act interviewer, allowing his guests to speak without interruption,...so unlike the that yell/overspeak their guests when their answers are not acceptable. Perhaps Mr King should open a School of Interviewing 101,...and offer free enrollment to the likes of Glenn Beck, Bill O.Reilly, etc.

December 16, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  113. BERNARDUS JACOBUS VAN ETTEN

"hang on we got a live report" OJ is in his Bronce
    lets go and see............we going to a live cam................
    This was the beginning of LIVE TV... thanks to LARRY KING!!!!

December 16, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  114. Jerry

When he called Ringo Starr George

December 16, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  115. Bahru Bayisa

I will always remember Larry's genuine respect for his guests even when they were nuts. As a teacher, I learned invaluable behavior management strategies from Larry. My favorite is: " One at a time!" He is fair, objective, and uncontrolably inquisitive. I will miss Larry!

Bahru Bayisa, San Diego

December 16, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  116. Sean in Ireland

I think what i got most from watching his interviews over the last number of years is they were just that...interviews, not interrogations.

December 16, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  117. Patrick

The interview with Jerry Seinfeld where Larry asked "you weren't cancelled, right?"

December 16, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  118. Chris in Greensboro, NC

Jack,,,,Larry never tried to back a guest into a corner or try to make a guest feel uncomfortable...Interviwe Master

December 16, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  119. Brad

It would be a wonderful and fitting tribute to Mr. King to have a number of celebrities show up tonight ALL WEARING SUSPENDERS.

December 16, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  120. janet Caputo

I have no intention of tuning in to CNN's new 9:00 show. No person or show can ever fill the void that will be left after tonight. We do not need another run of the mill talk show. The joy of watching Larry was the undeniable fact that he was probably no longer relevant, the fact that his guests often not to be seen anywhere else on the tube that week, and giggling at the comedic value of a guest correcting Larry's mispronounciation of some word. He was real, honest, blunt and in a word human. I will miss you Larry. i am done with CNN at 9:00.

December 16, 2010 at 6:00 pm |