October 14th, 2010

How will your children's lives compare to yours?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

So much for the American dream….

A new poll shows that a majority of Americans are pessimistic about their children's future. More than half of those polled in the Bloomberg survey say they are "not confident" or only "somewhat confident" that their children will have a better life than they do.

This is a shocking statistic. For a very long time in this country - each generation has had the expectation that the next generation will have a better, easier, and more successful life than their own.

But the Great Recession may have brought all of this to a screeching halt.

One 65-year-old retiree from Massachusetts says of his three grown children, "I don't think they've got a chance," adding that he's "very angry at what's going on in this country."

Pluralities of people say they're not hopeful they'll have enough money in retirement, and expect they'll have to keep working to make up the difference. A whopping 85 percent say they've taken some steps to cut costs - from using coupons, to cutting a regular expenses like cable TV, telephone or internet service, to putting off a major purchase.

The outlook is bleak. A new survey of top economists has cut its growth forecasts for both this year and next.

They expect GDP to grow at a pace of 2.6 percent this year and next... that's down from the group's previous prediction of 3.2 percent.

They've also lowered their outlook for consumer spending - which makes up two-thirds of the economy - and expect this year's holiday sales to be "especially weak."

Here’s my question to you: How do you think your children's lives will compare to your own?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Annie writes:
35+ years ago we made the decision not to have children and I've never been so sure of that decision as I am today. If the trend continues, the U.S. will someday be a third world nation with inadequate health care, inadequate nutrition and jobs that must compete with low wage workers in other third world countries. Tent cities will be common and Republicans will still be giving tax cuts to billionaires.

Karen in Idaho writes:
My kids are all lucky to be employed, but none have jobs utilizing their college training and all are working for low salaries. Two have moved home for financial reasons. There is, I think, no more American Dream. We are all living paycheck to paycheck and hoping that next month there will be a paycheck and a home to live in.

C. in Massachusetts writes:
Our son is a senior at NYU and is working two paying jobs while taking classes and writing an honors thesis. He's already eclipsed us in many ways; he plans to do better financially too. With a little luck and a lot of hard work, we hope so.

Mario in Arizona writes:
My children are now grown men and women. My fear is not for them. My fear is for their children, and their children's children. And for America's children and their future children. The day a worker in Indiana is willing to work for the same wage paid to a worker in India is day the American Dream will be buried. It's on life-support now. Is there a doctor in the house?

Deanna writes:
My kids may have the opportunity to take these difficult times and trials and become better because of them. They may learn how to better handle and budget money because they have such a reality that saving and spending carefully is an important life skill.

Donna writes:
The same question was asked after the Depression, and I remember the hard times in the '70s. The fact is: we will go on, we always do because the American spirit is strong. "This too shall pass".

Alex writes:
In this economy, who can afford to have kids?

Filed under: Children • Longevity
  1. george coleman

From Crofton, Kentucky

It has been the norm uin the U. S. for the next generation to have it better, in some situations than the past generation. This may be a turning point for that norm to be broken. Many factors are involved, mostly greed and power hungry people who have gone too far with their own agendas, politically and socially. I understand it but don't like it but it was inevitable. History is a good indicator of the present and especially of the future.

October 14, 2010 at 1:48 pm |
  2. Rick McDaniel

I chose not to have children.......thankfully.....as they could not be adequately provided for, nor would they have any real future, in this country.

I have never regretted that decision. On the contrary, as the world population is about to outstrip the resources of this planet, and no one is doing anything to control that problem, I am glad I did not contribute to the demise of the planet, with increased human population.

October 14, 2010 at 1:53 pm |
  3. Amine Chaar

My Children will live in a much stressful and insecure environment, their jobs always changing and their future is uncertain to when they can retire. They have no pensions and cannot depends on our government social security.

They will probably work until they can't unless they plan for their future from now discounting social security and medicare.

October 14, 2010 at 1:53 pm |
  4. southerncousin

It really depends on how soon we can get rid of this president. It will help that we will soon have a Congress in control of real Americans, but this idiot president still represents us before the world.

October 14, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
  5. Annie D.

35+ years ago we made the decision not to have children and I've never been so sure of that decision as I am today. If the trend continues, the United States will someday be a third world nation with inadequate health care, inadequate nutrition and jobs that must compete with low wage workers in other third world countries. Tent cities will be common and Republicans will still be giving tax cuts to billionaires.

October 14, 2010 at 1:58 pm |
  6. Bob D Iowa

Jack, thankfully I have 2 mentally handicapped daughters that still live at home and will be members of AARP in a couple of years. If my outlook on life was as theirs is the world would be a great place to live with little cares and no financial problems. Will tomorrow be rainy or sunny, warm or cold and can I visit my friends at the sheltered workshop are their biggest things in life. Vacations are good also but they want to get back to work. We have been able to secure for them a trust that should be able to outlive them. But now with State cutbacks the workshop is in jeopardy and so is their happiness witch is out of our control. So to answer your question, I don’t know, I can only sit back and wait to see want the outcome may be of these cutbacks.

October 14, 2010 at 1:59 pm |
  7. John from Alabama

Jack: I believe they will be economically the same, but our son will marry later in life, because it takes more time to get the right job or the training for the job. The cost of living will be much higher than when I was my children age. I bought a gallon of gas for 25 cents, and the cheapest our son has paid is $1.65 twelve years ago. I believe our children will be healthier, and have less vices than we did at the same age. Our children will live longer than we will, but then I see the glass half full.

October 14, 2010 at 2:01 pm |
  8. Pete from Georgia

How would they compare ?
    About the same as a wall mounted crank telephone compares to the latest Apple iPhone.

End of story.

October 14, 2010 at 2:02 pm |
  9. AndyZag Lynn, MA

Keeping in mind the amazing statistic that over 95% of all scientists that have ever lived are currently alive, we need an Arthur C. Clarke to use his genius to foresee the future. If you want a true insight into the future, read science fiction. The track record of these writers is amazingly accurate. Or if you time for some recreational reading find a copy of, "The Physics of Star Trek." Is there a real difference between a Star Trek hand held communicator and a cell phone?

October 14, 2010 at 2:02 pm |
  10. Al

The best America is yet to come. Right now we are all glum about the economy, politicians who say "no" to our future, etc. But look at our kids, think about all the talent and skills, and you just got to believe that Americans can build a better a future and now is a great time to start.

October 14, 2010 at 2:05 pm |
  11. Greg, Hamilton Ontario

Depends on how many wars America starts because you know we will stand by you in any justified fight. Also you are 80% of our economy if you mess yours up our kids are going to have a hard time.

October 14, 2010 at 2:06 pm |
  12. Brian, Baton Rouge

George Bush has damaged the economy so severely, our standard of living won't get back to where it was on the last day of the Clinton Administration for another 20 years.

October 14, 2010 at 2:08 pm |
  13. Dick B

They will be worse. Mainly because I am sure Jack will have to retire sometime during the later years of their life.

October 14, 2010 at 2:22 pm |
  14. Paul in New Port Richey, Fl

My sons are grown industrious men who will not lay down for any tinhorn dictator. Be careful who you pick a fight with.

October 14, 2010 at 2:38 pm |
  15. Tom, Avon, Me, The Heart of Democracy

My children have me for a father. It is all up hill for those sorry sods.

October 14, 2010 at 2:40 pm |
  16. Joanne

The lack of a good education mired in what is real and truth is lacking along with the financial woes they will face.
    Some people will realize at some point what they have done to America is so sad they will find it difficult to live with themselves (I do have sympathy for them to a degree). Arrogance is a sad atttribute.
    Joanne
    Mn

October 14, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  17. Dave, Orlando, FL

My dad did pretty well. I didn’t do as well but I’m still comfortable. My children are not doing as well as I am and I can only hope there will be something left in my estate when I’m gone. But what will happen to my grandchildren is what terrifies me. Even with a well laid plan that should have kept my offspring and myself living in comfort indefinitely, thanks to the present and last administrations, those plans have been blown apart and there isn’t a damned thing I can do about it. Knowing you can’t help your grandchildren makes you feel like the poorest most impotent person on Earth. There has to be a special place in hell for these politicians.

October 14, 2010 at 3:05 pm |
  18. Bizz Quarryville Pennsylvania

Jack, I honestly believe their life will be more difficult. We are fast becoming a nation of rich and poor. We have a Congress that refuses to work together and is controlled by lobbyist and special interest groups. The national debt is out of control, jobs are being shipped overseas and our children are being deprived of a good education. I wish my grandson would've had to ask me what is war like, instead of having to go to a war that has been going on for over nine years to find out. I blame all this on a Congress that is out of touch with their constituents or they just don't care. Their lives are pretty good. They live a nice homes their children go to private schools and colleges. When their career ends in Congress they have a cushy job waiting for them as a lobbyist.

October 14, 2010 at 3:19 pm |
  19. Bob Dallas

Looking back on the last 100 years and how far America has come is a bitter disappointment to me. I suspect it will be for my children too. There are people that go to bed in this country hungry every night and a significant portion of our Veterans are homeless. Yet we have no problem sending billions of dollars to foreign countries to aid their people. No one looks out for our own Jack. That is a very sad testament to just how far we have not come. We are going broke fighting to build other countries infrastructure while our own crumbles around us. When we leave so will theirs.

October 14, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
  20. Michael Roepke - Dallas

When I was a kid, my parents told me to clean my plate because children in China had nothing to eat. Now parents can use the same argument but the children are now in the US.

This new generation, our children are willing to forgo a 50 inch TV screen or a massaging couch to move toward a world where only the lucky few control almost all of the income.

October 14, 2010 at 3:22 pm |
  21. JENNA

How do you think your children's lives will compare to your own?

They live in a world now where respect is a thing of the past, where the GOP has spent their lives into oblivian, where no one takes responsibility for their actions, and where the American Dream has died a slow and painful death.

Thanks to the GOP, Osama Bin Laden accomplished what he set out to do – divide our nation while he bankrupted us. "MIssion Accomplished"

Jenna
    Roseville CA

October 14, 2010 at 3:23 pm |
  22. Carla

After I'd nurtured them to adulthood and spent every last cent I had on them, my children had a little meeting and sent me a card with an elderly Eskimo woman being shoved off on an iceberg to die. The note inside said it was up to parents to take care of children, not vice versa, and since they are on their own now, and I'm getting on in years, they wanted to be upfront and let me know they had no intention of caring for me. (Who asked them to?) I haven't heard from them in 5 years. So I haven't done so well, and with my savings gone, I don't expect to. But I'm very sure they'll fit right in with the kind of world I see taking shape now, where no one seems to care about anyone but Number One.

October 14, 2010 at 3:23 pm |
  23. Melissa

About the same.

October 14, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
  24. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

Much tougher as they don't know how to work and then there is the isssue of lack of good manufacturing jobs to grow our economy.
    But even if we had the jobs, they still don't know how to work.

October 14, 2010 at 3:26 pm |
  25. Loren

I think that my children have the potential to do much better than I have. I fear that the Demcratic policies of the last half century will saddle our government with such a debt load that they will not be able to realize a lifestyle as comfortable as mine due to the need to repay the money wasted on things like the Wall Street bailout, so-called Health Care reform, and the robbing of the Social Security trust to pay benefits to people who haven't paid in, as well as the party's disdain for the manufacturing sector, which allowed well-paying manufacturing jobs to be sent to the third world, while at the same time allowing the flooding of the United States job market by illegal immigrants, which depresses wages, skews labor compensation and underfunds our government through low paying and low tax paying jobs.

October 14, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
  26. Jim

Jack,

My only child is an attorney. She's married to an MBA. The down side is they live in California and work for the state. So, in addition to having massive law school loans to pay off, they've been hit by the California budget mess. Nevertheless, they and my two grandsons will be fine. When I was growing up my parents preached the importance of education. I got an advanced technical degree with minors in English and Economics. I worked out great. Today, education isn't merely important, it's absolutely mandatory if you want to have a chance at the upper-middle class. I recommend a scientific or engineering degree, with a heavy math background. I also highly recommend courses in English and Public Speaking. No skill that I possess paid higher career dividends than my ability to comfortably address a large audience.

Jim
    Reno, Nevada

October 14, 2010 at 3:30 pm |
  27. Kathie

I pity the kids growing up today as well as the current young working generation. Greed and coruption are destroying our country thanks to our politicians who fail to represent us, the influence of special interests/lobbyists/corporate America and the fact that the Supreme court has now proclaimed it is okay for the special interests et al can run our elections through their money. Our kids won't have a country left.

October 14, 2010 at 3:33 pm |
  28. Tony from Southport

Unfortunately, my children and grandchildren are not having the same chance at success as I had, due to higher taxes and less ability to get ahead in life. Jobs, jobs, jobs. My son-in-law is looking for work. He's a master carpenter and has accepted what work is available at half his normal rate just to be able to provide for his family. My grandson is struggling with work and college, and will be forced to buy health care insurance with Obamacare, another expense he can ill afford. This administration is saddling our children and grandchildren with a huge debt that they will have to pass on to their children. God Help America.

October 14, 2010 at 3:34 pm |
  29. Jim

Jack,

I hope better in multiple ways. First is health, second is work opportunities and employment longevity, and finally family life.

I'm working hard, both as a husband/father and employee, to provide my child the opportunties I've had and more. Just as my parents did for me. I was raised to be self sufficient, but some of the crazy things going on in this country right now are making it very difficult. My concerns are with the current situation for work, education and health care have me worried I will not do better than my parents. And this could affect my child later on. So I hope she does better than me, but if she faces the same or worse situation I'm dealing with now I have some serious doubts.

Jim in Denver, CO

October 14, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
  30. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Jack: I hope they will have more opportunities-they were nutured, loved and educated--and I hope witll continue to be successful. I hope they never let the things they can't have, or don't have, or shouldn't have, spoil their enjoyment of the things they do have and can have. I hope they will realize that one of the greatest lessons in life is learning to be happy without the things we cannot or should not have. I have always told them "It's better to be an authentic loser than a false success, and to die alive than to live dead."

October 14, 2010 at 3:42 pm |
  31. James in Greenville NC

Jack, it is too depressing to even imagine.

October 14, 2010 at 3:44 pm |
  32. Janne from NC

They are already worse. Two kids with college educations struggling with under employment but daggone glad to have any kind of jobs. Mom & dad are picking up the massive student loan payments, medical insurance and groceries. But I keep telling them not to worry, President Obama says things could have been worse.

October 14, 2010 at 3:48 pm |
  33. Mike, NH

Jack, their lives will be worse in most measurable ways. The Democrats policies have put us on track to be in the history books 1000 years from now as another failed 'empire'. Many will debate what dragged us down, barbarians (illegals) at the gate, economic collapse, or bankruptycy of the government. There's time to reverse the path, but it has to be now.

October 14, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
  34. Alex in Wisconsin

Hey Jack, didn't you ask this question last Spring? The answers havent changed. The American Dream isn't dying, it's being turned into the American Nightmare by Government that's to Fat and weak to keep up with the fast paced nature of global business and by Big business and their allies who would sooner force American Citizens into indentured servitude than to look out for whats best for the country as a whole. Democrats need to turn Government into a strong, lean machine and Republicans need to stop rewarding Big Business for bad behavior.

October 14, 2010 at 3:56 pm |
  35. Phyllis G Williams

How do you think your children's lives will compare to your own?

Not much different if they remember King Solomon’s wisdom
    Ecclesiastes 12 “Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth…
    and conclusion…Fear God…for this is the whole duty of Man”.
    My granddaughter gave me a shock”Grand-Ma, I want to accept
    Jesus as my Savior, but do not know how.’. I led her to the Lord,
    and told her to remember when she did it. She said “That’s
    no problem Grand-Ma,, today is MEMORIAL DAY” (smile)

October 14, 2010 at 3:59 pm |
  36. Mario (Phoenix, AZ)

My children are now grown men and women. My fear is not for them. My fear is for their children, and their children's children. And for America's children and their future children. The day a worker in Indiana is willing to work for the same wage paid to a worker in India is day the American Dream will be buried. It's on life-support now. is there a doctor in the house? God help us Jack!

October 14, 2010 at 4:00 pm |
  37. Phyllis G Williams

How do you think your children's lives will compare to your own?

Not much different if they remember King Solomon’s wisdom
    Ecclesiastes 12 “Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth…
    and hear conclusion…Fear God…for this is the whole duty of Man”.
    My granddaughter gave me a shock”Grand-Ma, I want to accept
    Jesus as my Savior, but do not know how.’. I led her to the Lord,
    and told her to remember when she did it. She said “That’s
    no problem Grand-Ma,, today is MEMORIAL DAY” (smile)

October 14, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
  38. Joe CE

On average they will make no gain despite hard work and a good education. The American dream has been outsourced.

October 14, 2010 at 4:04 pm |
  39. Tina Tx

They will be like the first generation who came along after the Great Depression. Ever so often it is good for us to have to suffer. It brings us back to reality and make us not be so stinking greedy and have to have all the newest fads.

October 14, 2010 at 4:05 pm |
  40. Karen, Idaho Falls, Idaho

October 14, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  41. dennis in minneapolis minnesota

Well the financial situation of our country is going to become very visible once we pass the tipping point. I think a lot of things could happen. We will have no choice but to cut social programs or raise taxes because lets face it, all of our money is spent on social programs. There's nothing else to cut. When that happens Jack, youre going to have a problem trying to employ people for 30k a year. Thats what the Republicans never understand in their greedy little world. The reason you can make so much money in our economy is because you dont have to provide diddly squat to your employees. Pensions are a thing of the past these days, and you're lucky to even get a 401k not to mention benefits. When the social programs get cut, I predict a massive surge in unions. There are so many giant corporations that depend on low wages in order to survive. You think walmart is going to be around if you dont provide retirement, and healthcare to the retired population?

October 14, 2010 at 4:17 pm |
  42. riley oday

I have 2 children mid 20s college grad. They both had scholorships yet accumulated student loans mid 40k. The jobs they have do not have good pay benefits or retirement. Their future looks bleak.

October 14, 2010 at 4:19 pm |
  43. sheila

They might not be better off than I am but rather more equal. Hopefully they'll learn that you don't spend beyond your means with mortgages, credit cards, loans, etc. and to make sure you understand your money responsibilities vs letting the lenders mislead you.

October 14, 2010 at 4:28 pm |
  44. Michael H. in Albuquerque, NM

Since I came into the workforce in the era of Friedman economics, I was never able to afford to have a family in the manner which my parents had raised me. I didn't have children. My siblings that did have children were forced to live at a standard far less than what they had been raised in. And, their children, now grown, have faired even worse. Now that my parents have retired, their medical expenses have bankrupted them, causing them to move in with me. This is the consequence of the economics espoused by Milton Friedman for the last thirty years and the philosophy promoted by Strauss by the neocons.

October 14, 2010 at 4:40 pm |
  45. chris

it won't be better by the time the kids get to be adults even padt their 20's and so on there wil be 15 trillion debt govt takes 70 percent of all you make and they will make 700,000 per senator plus benefits while the average joe makes 8 dollars a hour

October 14, 2010 at 4:40 pm |
  46. Sherrie

Jack, they won't compare well. They, and their children, are going
    to have to pay for all this financial mess. And the mess isn't getting
    better.

My children know that you can't buy your way out of debt. The trick is
    to convince the politicians of same, and get their greedy hands out of
    our pockets. I wish I felt confident, but in fact I see too much power
    in the hands of Washington DC, and too little sense in the politicians
    heads.

Sherrie
    Morgan County, IN

October 14, 2010 at 4:41 pm |
  47. J. P. Schwynoch

I don't think the next few generations stand a chance of enjoying American as I knew it from the 1940's on.

Whether people want to acknowledge the fact or not, we are in as big a competition for our country and way of life as we were during the Second World war. The difference is that the enemy in those days were thought of the "5th" column and were considered to be spies of our enemies.
    Now, we blithely accept representatives of countries, trying to cause our demise, into this country. I've no doubt that our "law abiding" nature will make us easy target for the radical Muslims and the fact that international trespassers demand rights in this country that they don't have in their own...and get them, merely takes away from the benefits that citizens of this country have worked for and earned...and do not have.

Bakersfield, CA

October 14, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
  48. Paul Austin,Texas

Should we rule out our children in the future along with their furture? I think not they just may have the answers to many of our problems and just may be able to fix many of our wrongs. It will not be free sailing but much hard work for them and I feel they can handle the future well maybe better then we did.

October 14, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
  49. Lori - PA

Jack,

I hope it gets better. I hope my daughter doesn't have to compete with 30 other people for a job. I hope she can afford health insurance. I hope I don't have to hear her say, "I don't know how I'm going to pay my mortgage". I hope when she's in her 40's she doesn't have to ask my husband and me for money so that she can go to the doctor. I hope the federal government she knows is, as Abraham Lincoln said, "...by the people, for the people....”

October 14, 2010 at 4:48 pm |
  50. Gary H. Boyd

My life and that of my family was military service and one company for 33 years. Our 3 sons, all in mid-life and with considerable tenure where each is employed, will do well too. But, their children - our grandchildren, face uncertainties that we did not. Therefore we encourage college graduation and fiscal responsibility. It will surely be survival of the fittest.

Gary in Scottsdale, Arizona

October 14, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
  51. IKHAN from Nevada

Hi jack,

this is an unpleasant but easy one.
    Iraq disaster of our own making, Afghan open ended war, the murmurs of a third in the Middle East.
    Rule of the Corporate Juggernauts, lobbies & special interests. The ubridled run of the Wall Street during the past administration coupled with the unbearable burden of financing our wars, bringing our economy to the brink
    The way this country is being dragged towards the dusty thorny pathways of intolerance, racism & religious persecution wrapped up in bigotry by the far right, the wing nuts and fringes,
    The pettiness surrounding our body politic, Lack of visionary leadership from among the Old Guard.
    What promise do we hold for our coming generations?
    Unless the youth in this beloved country of ours wake up & take notice,
    get their act together & let their voices be heard for the sake of their future & future of this country.

October 14, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
  52. Audie in SC

In general, I think they've missed the gravy boat. Things have changed so radically in so many areas now... that our kids will have a much tougher time. Just look at the deficit! Bush was careless, but Obama is worse!
    We need to get someone with a level head in there – and soon. 2012 can't come soon enough!

October 14, 2010 at 5:05 pm |
  53. John from San Antonio

Our childrens future is about as bleak as it can be. Many of us are blaming this party or that party but that is completely idiotic. Our government was established on the premise that it derived its power from the consent of the governed. Our founding fathers were adamant on that point. We authorized our illustrious "public servants" to sell our childrens future for their own self serving interests.

October 14, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  54. Frank

Our greed will hurt our children and grandchildren. We have spent and spent and borrowed and borrowed to do it, increasing the federal deficit and no doubt will scream and protest like many of the Europeans when our children run the government and can't afford to pay for our excesses. It's inexcusable that we have burdened the next couple of generations with the huge deficit and we should pay for it through reduced benefits or whatever, not them.

October 14, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  55. Linda in Arizona

I had the foresight and decency not to add to the population overload of the planet, consequently this is not something I worry about.

October 14, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  56. Luci

I have heard this so many time in our 56 years of marriage. We went through a lot of lean years. The very worst was during the Reagen years. My husband lost his job at Int. Harvestor. We lived very poorly for 2 years before he found another job. I have used coupon for 50 years, got cable 7 years ago, and just got internet service. I don't believe that they are doing without a phone, cable, or internet. Some people feed off of the hate that is being spewed.
    Be patient it will come around again.
    The next time DON'T OVERSPEND. You do not need all the bells and whistles. Vote Democrat.

October 14, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  57. Michael Roepke - Dallas

Are you serious!
    The outlook is bleak!
    The next generation might have to use coupons and get only the basic cable? People may have to work to age 65 instead of 62? And the economy is going to grow, but only at a pace of 2.6 percent? Isn’t that terrible.
    Our economy grew much faster than that during the Bush years but ordinary families still had to cut back while the millionaires became billionaires.
    My child’s life will be much better than mine measured by our national ability to show some compassion and not by inches of a television screen.

October 14, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  58. Gail, Oregon

Jack, I have 3 sons& daughters-in-law and 5 Grandkids– each of my sons has come close to being laid off– and we all have a case of Jitters re the economy. They are looking at a future of blistering heat & the economic fallout from that, at a future full of strife as our nation tries to enlarge/manage/subdue its empire, at a future where foreigners win out over us because they are far better educated. The most popular foireign language in Latin American schools is Chinese. That our education system is failing has been made very obvious this election season by the tenor of many Republican campaigns, many candidates are advocating abolishing our Education Department, many candidates are evincing serious needs for remedial instruction. Bill Clinton campaigned on a "Courage to Change" slogan, Obama on "Change We Can Believe In" –all the while, Republicans have been dragging anchor, blocking progress, dragging US down.

October 14, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  59. Bob Spads

I am angry also. Republicans have destroyed our country IMO. However my children are unique for an American father. They have had the choice of becoming American or remaining European. They both chose European with cradle to grave healthcare and free higher education for as long as they qualify academically. My oldest is completing her graduate degree in veterinary medicine. The other is following with an undergraduate mathematic degree. Attending world leading universities, they have already achieved what I could never have afforded to give them. Their quality of life and standard of living has already surpassed their American contemporary’s. My tax money, on the other hand, is wasted on eleven carrier battle groups driving around the oceans doing nothing but driving me into poverty. Why are “WE” the world’s policemen?

October 14, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
  60. Luci

I do not believe that 85% don't have cable, internet, or a phone. That is a lot of BS. I see all the shoppers in the malls, plus the traffic is so bad. Give me a break. You must be letting the Republicans take the polls, so they can shout gloom and doom.

October 14, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  61. Jerry Driskell

Better than mine if I can leave each of them ten million when I die.
    That will take care of their financial needs; their spiritual needs they will need to nurture on their own.
    Jerry in GA

October 14, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  62. Lance, Ridgecrest, Ca

Jack, My children are in their 40/50's already. They will be OK. My Grandchildren and Great-Grandchildren will be paying for the excesses of this Administration for the rest of their lives. They are going find out that in order to get where I am today, they are going to have to work harder, longer, save a much higher percentage of their income, and figure some way to keep the government out of their pockets. This presumes that the country somehow survives this administration's insane drive toward economic disaster!

October 14, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  63. Anthony from Swedesboro, NJ

I think our kid's prospects are terrific considering that they're growing up in America. I'm so tired of the pessimist's outlook dragging the USA
    down! Even if we had to lower some of our life-styles, we're still heads and shoulders over the rest of the world.
    I thank the Creator every day for letting me and my son being born on the terra firma of this blessed country. We and our prodigy should stop complaining and count our blessings.

October 14, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  64. Larry Wineland

How do I think my childrens lives will compare to mine? I think that it depends on if politicians begin to represent the constituents that elect them, or the party that they belong to.

October 14, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  65. calaurore9

Our son is a senior at NYU and is working 2 paying jobs while taking classes and writing an honors thesis. He's already eclipsed us in many ways, he plans to do better financially too. With a little luck and a lot of hard work we hope so.

C. in Massachusetts

October 14, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  66. tom trapani quito ecuador

jack, my children are fine living the American dream. it's my grandchildren I worry about and for good reason. This great recession has been a test of America's metal at critical points our elected officials made the right decisions after the folly of poor decisions by corporate giants put the world on the brinks of financial devastation. Yet, even the Republicans who made the right choices at the end of the Bush administration refuse to recognize their own good work lest the current administration get credit for a job that saved us from the greatest depression that never occurred continue, to this day, to denigrate the peoples choice.

October 14, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  67. Connor

My child's life will be very different from mine. When I was growing up, we weren't given things for free, we had to work for them. Now adays, kids get what they want. Back to you Jack!

October 14, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  68. Joseph Leff

My parents were never human ATMs for me, but since I'm an ATM for my kids I guess they'll be better off - maybe - perhaps.

Joe in Florida

October 14, 2010 at 5:59 pm |
  69. Thom Richer

They will struggle as much as we or more to make a living for themselves and theirs. Although they had a better life growing up, they will have a harder road on their own even with better education and more skills. Employers, if they are fortunate to find one, will not take care of their financial needs, possibly ever again. The best they can hope for is making a living on their own in their own business or trade. Workers are being abandoned without giving it a thought daily by business and our pretend representative government (meaning Congress). People/workers are no longer the bottom line. Greed is. Good luck kids.

Thom Richer
    Negaunee, MI

October 14, 2010 at 6:01 pm |
  70. Mitch - St Louis

The generation that conquered the world in WWII have left their children little but scraps.

October 14, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  71. Mary Steele Yorktown VA

If our government's spending spree don't stop, and if we don't stop trying to employ the world and serious crack down on illegal employers and slow the flow of legal immigration and foreign workers, there won't be anything left for legal immigrants' and citizens' children to strive for!

Yorktown, VA

October 14, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  72. Kevin in CA

Their life will be harder with a lower standard of living. The question is: Will it fall to the level of China and India?

October 14, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  73. Carrie/ Alabama

Already my children's lives do not compare with my own as the young adults they are now . They are struggling and both have lost jobs due to the economy, and are now in debt to us as parents , just to keep afloat. One found work this spring , another is still looking in his career field and is gravely concerned for his future, he worked for the same company for 15 years and now is working for min. wages. Unless the economy turns around their future is much bleaker than mine was at the same age. Both parties are to blame so it is not like we can vote for change and it will happened. I voted for change but unless the other party participates in change nothing will change. Our politicians only care about slamming each other and not us , and none have an answer, they just want all the perks they receive while we are still hurting.

October 14, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  74. Thinkforyourself, OK

I think that at the speed the United States is hurtling toward Socialism, they will not be as well off.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!! There are NO DEMOCRATS anymore, They are all Marxist Progressives, hellbent on Socialism and oppression for all but the ELITE.

October 14, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  75. Mark from Boston

Jack,

Let's see. Although they will pay in twice as much as we do to these ponzi scheme entitlement programs, they'll need to be 90 yrs. old to collect Social Security which will be enough to buy a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread after the collapse of the dollar. They will work for Chinese companies that will hire them six months at a time for two dollars over lunch money. And, they will spend their entire adult life repaying student loans... Hey wait a minute, that's my generation. I guess I won't be having kids.

October 14, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  76. Mike in Canada

Jack

We only have ourselves to blame. As long as we continue shopping at Walmart and Dollar Stores our average income and home values will continue to decline.

At this rate a time will come in the not too distant future when jobs will be outsourced to the USA by China.

I don't have the solution but the problem is obvious.

October 14, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  77. Annie, Atlanta

They will live in a world where the Dream was sold out to the highest bidders, for personal gain. When greed reins there's no comparison. My kids will have a better chance outside of America, sadly. The GOP is on track to spend $3-5 Billion on the mid-terms thanks to corporations as people spending freely. How many jobs could have been created instead?

October 14, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  78. Mitch Dworkin - Dallas, Texas

Even thinking about that question would depress me to the point where I would probably need to see a therapist!

October 14, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  79. Melissa C. Memphis,Tn

I feel sorry for the next generation...They really dont have a chance.But its nobody fault but OURS.We want everthing and want to do nothing for it..

October 14, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  80. t5ony rebelo

I don't worry about the future because I dont have kids and I live in Canada that might be a solution for some folks

October 14, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  81. Jimbo

I think that, in the future, American children will be raised on hi-tech "farms" and then sold as a culinary delicacy to wealthy Chinese businessmen.

October 14, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  82. katiec Pekin, IL

Their lives won't be what they want or expect at this time, but, perhaps there will be some good from this.
    As a parent I spoiled my children and although not extravagant, they did not want. Consequently, they never appreciated anything that much.
    And, because of not demanding responsibility many have had the unrealistic idea that they deserve whatever they want.
    The economy is not good, and, many are without work, but in the process the tightening of the belt, living with necessities, can bring important lessons to the way of life.

October 14, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  83. Alex Hughes

In this economy, who can afford to ave kids?

October 14, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  84. Dennis / Missouri

I would like to think their lives will be as good or better, but the facts point to just the opposite. This administration and congress has burden them with an unpayable debt and wants to heap more on them. Unless America changes course they will be slaves to a corrupt government.

October 14, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  85. Joseph

It would be more miserble for them . No money. No job. Less resources. The govrnment needs to realize that their ruining the next generation very very slowly. AND IT HAS TO STOP !

October 14, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  86. Darrell Wayne - San Francisco

Jack, I don't have any children and living in CA with the dot.com bust and this recession, I don't know how I will be able to retire. For the past several years, I just figured if I cannot live a decent life on social security, it will be time to check out! I have no issues of taking my own life at that point. What would be the point of living if you're living in poverty! Sad isn't it?

October 14, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  87. Jim Blevins

That is entirely the choice of the American people. They can follow the Tea Party into the oblivion of trying to recreate the 1800's. Or, they can follow the rational path of realizing that this is the 21st century and build a better world for their children.

Jim, Craig, CO

October 14, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  88. Deanna

October 14, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
  89. Mysterious

The American Dream has been illusive for millions over the years. Face it. Not everyone will achieve the American Dream. That would be Utopia. The population has doubled over the last fifty years, prices go up beyond honest living waves.

October 14, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  90. Anita

I know my children do not have it as well as I did. My daughter with her three little ones have had to move in with me. One son struggles to make his house payments and still pay other essential expenses. This Christmas, we all will buy for the children a little something so that they can have a Santa Clause..but NO gifts for adults for Christmas or birthdays. Thank God for Dollar Tree and Big Lots!
    Those of us in the middle class are experiencing a lower and lower standard of living. There is no question, it will take a miracle to get business to open their eyes. It will take a miracle for those who have to want to assist the have nots. I'm not optimistic.

October 14, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  91. Gary Bellew

I don't have children and with everything going on financially, I take steps to ensure I don't bring children into this (near) chaos. That's how it is affecting me and anyone I can influence.

October 14, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  92. Denise

Do you really think that the GOP is going to make it better?? Well not if they going to privatizes Social Security in the same place Wall Street stole my 401K , or stand in line for those voucher? I think my kids future should be left to the DEMs oh yeah I am a Republicans

October 14, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  93. Donna

The same question was asked after the depression, and I remember the hard times in the '70's. The fact is, we will go on, we always do because the American spirit is strong. "This too shall pass".

October 14, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  94. frankie

There will always be hard times and prosperous times. I didn't turn out as good as my parents would have liked, so it was easy for my children to turn out better than me!

October 14, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  95. Cynthia Loring MacBain

Jack - all of this economic doom is but a pimple obn the pumpkin. Our children are going to face a globe that has one third of the present population ADDED to what we have now. What is this going to mean in terms of food, water housing? You focus on only the current projected into the future as though the population remains the same. Why? Are you afraid to confront reality?

Cynthia from Skaneateles, NY

October 14, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  96. Andy W

My children are only 2 and 5 but with all the modern advancements and newer technology that will be provided to him/her i believe they will still be forced to go through the growing pains but just in a different way. This is America and although some people dont agree on what the country is going through we are smart enough to never fall.

P.S great job miners

October 14, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  97. Conrad Hirzel

Better, I'm sure. One of them is doing this show.

October 14, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  98. John Hickey, Dallas, Texas

I wonder what my grandparents and great grandparents felt would be the future for their children as they struggled through the Great Depression. What came of that was what we call the "Greatest Generation." What they had was hope, that final human emotion left in Pandora's Box.
    What the Chilean Miners, family and leaders had was hope.
    Their human spirit determined their future.
    Same for our children. Will we let hope lead us to outstanding solutions; or will we give into pessimism and synicism?
    Our children's future will only be as good as their resolve, strength of human spirit and sustaining hope.
    I believe that our children have only greatness to look forward too. Any other discussion may well be a self fullfilling prophecy.

October 14, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  99. Paul

Hey Jack,
    Our children should do just fine if they adhere to the lessons we as parents should leave to them. The economy does not dictate the way we as Christians will live. They should tithe, and give towards the goals they have and ALMIGHTY God will keep His Word to them and us. Fear will magnify the terror of our future but faith in God and His promises will promote the Blessing God has promised us through Jesus the Anointed One. The problem is Gods wisdom for us has to be received by faith, and His light will guide us to the solutions of the present day, the days of our children and grandchildren. The choice is ours because the blessing is to everyone, but only on the believer.

October 14, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  100. Ryan

I'm guessing my little girl will live in a world where big business IS the new government, and democracy is replaced by a type of economic feudalism.

October 14, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  101. Adrienne Karel Leffler, San Diego, California

Growing up, our son's life was more privileged than that of his father's or mine. Growing old almost certainly will be far less. And that breaks my heart.

October 14, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  102. Steve Kemp from Sacramento, Ca.

I don't have any kids. You see, I thought first.

To your question, I believe the future lives of America's children depend almost completely upon if the electorate ever learns to accept the truism that with higher taxes comes higher standards of living. You see, the majority, since Reagen, have been brainwashed against reasonable taxation.

Look at history! Periods of higher reasonable taxation were times of greater prosperity! But the folks that sold "trickle down" also sold the lie that higher taxes are always bad.

In short, if we ever grow up...maybe our kids will do better.

October 14, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  103. Kay - Iowa

How will my children's lives compare to mine? I'd say pretty darn close – literally. I fully expect that they wil be living with me for a long, long time after graduating from college......it's not an apron string thing – it's a lack of jobs thing.

Kay in Iowa

October 14, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  104. Tom from Harding Pa.

I do not see anything positive in the future, the only way things might become better is for a true change to come about, ie: if the President and government truly want change then put some of the common everyday people on committees not the rich self serving persons now in government posts, who have no idea what it take these days just to fill your gas tank. We need more Abraham Lincoln's in government offices.

Get real, times are way too tough, instead of bailing out big companies bail out the everyday hard working AMERICAN CITIZEN.

October 14, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  105. rajani

I grew up in India and came here for better life. I'm raising my kids with same mind set. Be a global citizen and live in any country that lets you be your best.

October 14, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  106. roy

If my son experiences a portion of success I enjoyed, there will still be plenty of opportunity to enjoy adult life and contribute to the greater good. I've had artifical bubbles to ride!

October 14, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  107. Gail, Plano TX

I have 2 sons, the oldest is a middle school science teacher, the other a consultant in the oil and natural gas industry. Both have masters degrees in their chosen fields. They are preparing for their retirement, now. Both own their homes. Live a modest lifestyle. Family is all important to them. One was a child of the 60's, the other the 70's. Those were turbulent years, too, so let's sit tight and see what the future holds. It's not that bad Jack, but some people live to complain and worry. A complete waste of time.

October 14, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  108. andrew in aberdeen, nc

Life is short. Times are hard. Give my children a credit card.

October 14, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  109. John M

I feel my children will never see what a great country we used to be.From my parents to myself to my children things have only gotten worse.

October 14, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  110. Jess Milford

The future for our children (mine are in their 50s) is bleak. They will see us run out of oil, perhaps a varied food supply, and water. Yes,
    water.....Just this week Newsweek's prime article is about the coming shoratge of clean water. With the amount of war materials being stockpiled around the world.....a global conflict appears inevitable.
    There is hope......December 21, 2012 may be the end for all of us.

October 14, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  111. Richard Stevens

Verry well , they have more things than i could have though up ,in my chikldhood.If only they would realize what they have and be glad for it . Dick Stevens Marion,Ohio

October 14, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  112. Judith Hohnholt

I do not worry too much, I have two sons. My husband and I have taught them both how a good education and work ethic are critical to success. But also they need to "start at the bottom" and work their way up. Too many young people today are too spoiled, and whose fault is that?

October 14, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  113. Sam

Of course future generations will have it worse. The Golden Era of America, which spanned from the late industrial 1800s up until August of 2000, and specifically peaked in the late 1980s and 1990s, is way over. Thanks to the last breath of Baby Boomer leadership, who cruelly mock today's youth as the "NINJA Generation" (No Income, No Jobs, no Assets), we've already detroyed our children's future before they even get out of the gates by burying them in public debt through liberal spending, destroying the future of industry by offshore investing and exporting jobs, and lowering their expectations for a better life by bad mouthing corporations and mocking families, faith, and frugal finance. We've all but sealed their fate.

October 14, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  114. Beverly Travers

****When you say better off do you mean being able to purchase an ipod, cellphone, computer. It is understandable that some of us are struggling to get things done but in most cases the self can be to blame. Everyone say they want government out of their lives so why are they so angry at the government fot not doing something for them. Go to school so you can get an education that coincides with the times there is a lot of help out there for that. If we did not want so much more than a roof over our heads, lights, water, and food, we would not need so much. Times have changed and we have to change with it.

October 14, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  115. Brenda

Not if we elect Republicans, we will have to face the new standard for unemployment in America...never better than 7%. Republicans have allowed "American companies" to move jobs overseas without penalty. They will continue to do it.....just look at how they have obstructed a bill in the Senate to do just that....penalize those that have built their companies off the backs of Americans just to move them out for a few bucks!

October 14, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  116. Lorraine

We have four children, the youngest two are in college....through the years we have instilled the thought..."Do you need it, or do you just want it?" to our children. We have saved and we pay cash for most big ticket items. Now, we are paying cash for college...no student loans. I believe that our children will be more responsible than many of their friends who's parents were eager...and yes, I mean eager! to spend, spend, spend on items they wanted and didn't need. I am confident my children will be fine with the ever-changing economy. Just be responsible....don't want to bail anyone out!

October 14, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  117. Lois Rodgers

How do our children's futures look? Gloomy. My husband and I, now in our mid seventies, believe that we raised our family in the best of times...mid 60's to mid 70's. We retired at the ages of 55 and 56. Our children doubt they'll be able to retire until last seventies, maybe never. Two of our 3 children own their own small, local businesses. Since 9/ll they've been hanging on by the skin of their teeth and worry every day that they may have to close their doors and loose their homes they've mortgage to meet payroll, overhead, etc. The third child has a steady job which hasn't given him a raise in 3 years. All 3 familes have children in college and both parents are working to keep their heads above water. This is NOT the American Dream.

October 14, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  118. Tim

Right now bleak, but I believe we still have time to turn this mess around and give them hope. only if we can stop the obama spending machine. Take the house and senate back in November 2010 and the white house in 2012. Put real working people in Congress. Not the ones who can talk a good talk but have one arm behind their backs with their fingers crossed and that means both Dems and Reps.

October 14, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  119. Don Cook

My three son's future have the same chance as generations before them to exceed if they apply the following processes:

Get a formal education or technical skill
    Allow self-validation come from their behavior – not the media
    Laugh loudly
    Love hard
    Forgive their partents for all they did not do (they know they are loved)
    Remember the early bird gets the worm.
    America is starving for leaders like the miners experienced in Chile

October 14, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  120. Paulette in Dallas,PA

I think that our generation has experienced the peak of the American Dream. How will our children ever be able to educate our grandchildren when the cost of college will be exorbitant? Owning a home is getting further out of reach. Just buying food and clothing is out of sight. Our children are going to be living in a global economy such as never before. I already know two people who work outside of the US. One man works in Toronto and another man is imployed by Chinese businessmen. People will have to go where the work is. Survival of the fittest has never been more appropriate.

October 14, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  121. Rob

Mine will be a mixed bag. 2 of my kids, although working and supporting themselves , will probably not match my lifestyle, upper middle class. My 3rd child will graduate from college with a degree in Electrical Eng, and was hired as a junior by his employer, his future is very bright. Education, the old mantra, is still the basic key to at least get the door to start to open. Teaching our children how to work and acclimate to the workplace would be a good idea also.

October 14, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  122. Jim in Indiana

I don't have any children but I am not hopeful about the futures of anyone else's. The smoke has dissipated and the mirrors are broken. What we're left with after 30 years of disastrous trickle down economics is not very pretty. When I was much younger there was a distinct attitude that we could do anything as a nation. Now, it's every man for himself.

October 14, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  123. liberal dave

Due to the current change in almost all things are made in third world countries this will be similar to the fall of the roman empire because we will not have control offuture war machines all the manufactured production was moved out of the usa with the electronic age. My union went from over a million members in the rarly 80's to now about 300,000 now. that was the international association of machinists and aerospace workers. if my kids do not get into law enforcement or health care there would not be much of a chace they could do better than I did. good luck

October 14, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  124. Nancy Cleveland

No problem seen here. Our son isn't married (yet), has no children out of wedlock, rents, has a job and works his own business, is a vegan, saves and invests his money, and on top of that, drives a 1996 auto that he keeps in great running condition. On top of that, he's been helping his parents with our investments. Hummmm, something we taught him must've stuck!

October 14, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  125. Bronson

I'm 15 years old and the future for my generation and me hasn't been looking to bright in the past few years. I've been watching CNN since 2004 so I've obviously watched the troops be spread thin over pointless lies in Iraq. I've watched the economy go bust and the climate change for the worst (GO CLEAN ENERGY!). Our education system is awful and we're too far behind other industrial countries, well I wouldn't exactly say the USA is industrialized anymore. All politicians, regardless of party, don't realize that it is not the teachers and unions that can change the test scores, but the students like me. I can only hope that those stupid republicans, Palin, O'Donnell, Corbett, Toomey, and the rest, don't get elected and have control of the education system, let alone the rest of the country.

October 14, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  126. Bob

Jack, I've raised two wonderful children. A girl and a boy both with children of their own. We taught them well, nourished then and paid for their education through college. Helped with post graduate studies. I think they're doing well so far.

But if the country subscribes to Rush Limbaugh's perverted dreams of doom and gloom from two years of the Obama administration, I fear for all children. I'd gladly pay more taxes to relieve the stress. Rich Republicans and Democrats alike, need to wake up. The poor and,
    yes, unfortunately the ignorant and stupid, are always with us and need relief.

What is going wrong that this country no longer really pitches in seems to desperately wants to hoard what it has acquired? (your favorite charity excluded.)

October 14, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  127. Brad

Real simple Jack: My children are doomed to participate in a race to the bottom. The American Dream is already dead except for an elite upper class and the poorest that can still find a better life here than where they came from. My wife and I are college grads and it takes everything we can earn to just live in the same neighborhood as I grew up in and drive 10 yr old cars.

I'm in my mid 50s and when I grew up, my dad worked a union job and my mom stayed home and made sure we came home from school and did our homework. I was able to work my way through local State College and graduate with no debt.

Today both husband and wife must work in most families, and there is little time to supervise the children. When my children have children it will only be worse. Both spouses working, self-funded retirement, massively high taxes, and college educations that will not be reachable by the middle class. Oh wait...we are already there!

Brad – Los Angeles

October 14, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  128. sony

I am an immigrant to this country, and I know for sure my kids life will be better than the one I had when it comes to standard of living... however, I worry abt their character and their role and impact on society.... i think kids growing up in the US are less exposed to hard work and the importance of being responsible for your actions and valuing their freedom and their education. it has become a protectionist society for kids, instead of an open adventurous one...

October 14, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  129. Jack

Not good. The economy is horrible and the President doesn't get it. He keeps trying to prove he is right. Step up, admit you made mistakes, and do what the people want. I voted for him and will not make that mistake again. I am an Independent. He is very socialistic. I went to college, made good choices (like my wife) and only keep 46 cents of every dollar I make. Quite frankly, I am very tired of supporting "illegal" immigrants and systemic welfare. If I can keep more of my income I will spend it which is good for the economy. The President is totally Socialistic and out of touch. He does not represent the majority of hard working Americans. He is more interested in supporting worthless and lazy. Tired od hire taxes.

October 14, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  130. Joe Terrogano

It depends. If the corporations continue to press their agenda by buying ads and funding politicians, I predict a lot less for my daughter. If the citizenry sees through these attempts to make this a corporocracy, then I think that she will do just fine. Corporations only care about profits, not people. If this was not clear after the Wall Street-Banking crash and BP oil spill, I don't know what is. Big Business could care less about me, my family, o rmy job, except as a consumer who they can profit from.

October 14, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  131. Loretta Taylor Mossman

I have 5 grandchildren ranging in age from 19 yrs. down to 8 yrs. I believe that they will see unbelievable miracles in their lives just as I have. The world is constantly changing. To be successful people must change too. We are now in a "retooling" phase in America. Yes, It was difficult during the "Industrial Revolution" , too. Invention and NEW industries mean a new generation of jobs--many unheard of today.
    Remember that new thing called a "computer"?

October 14, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  132. shirley

I am baby boomer and realized long ago that my child despite his MBA and all the other good things he has going for him will never be as lucky,financially stable, work place indespensible as I or others from my generation. This has some grounds in today's economic situation but not all. It has been a fact for longer than we are willing to admit. The world is a different place on many fronts.. afact we all have to face honestly. A little attitude adjustmentregarding our greed, what we think we deseve,our pesonal ambitions presumed entitlements may be s good thing.

October 14, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  133. Brenda-Dayton, Oh

Our childern are already far behindus....We now face the new standard for unemployment in America...never better than 7%. Republicans have allowed "American companies" to move jobs overseas without penalty. They will continue to do it.....just look at how they have obstructed a bill in the Senate to do just that....penalize those that have built their companies off the backs of Americans just to move them out for a few bucks!

October 14, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  134. Ken

The next generation will have access to communication and medical advances that were unheard of 20 years ago. They will live in an age of wide ranging innovations in clean energy. Will they be living in oversized mcmansions? probably not, but i would'nt exactly call that a bleak existence. And if they should grow up with a better understanding of human rights, and the need to be caretakers of our planets resources, they will live better than we have managed for ourselves.

October 14, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
  135. Jay from Iowa

I am very fearful for how my son's life could be if he doesn't become a surgeon, corporate lawer, etc. I know for certain that a four year liberal arts degree like I have won't get him far. Our country on whole is headed down and I am frightened for what the USA has in store for his generation. My father never went to college, but worked his a!@ off his entire career. He will have made better money and had a better, less complicated life than myself. He recently told me that I was more successful than him. I replied to him that despite a
    college education, long work days and the extra effort to succeed I would never surpass him. He responded to me by saying that our country has failing and with it taking my dreams and those of my son's with it.
    If we want to know why, just to the past and what led us to where we are. It doesn't take a Harvard Scholar to see the changes and the results. If you would like to email with me, I'd be delighted.

October 14, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  136. kathy from phx,az

I wish people would quit whining about how hard their children are going to have it. Most of us have had to work hard for what we have. One of my daughters, 20 yrs old just bought a house,works full time and is a full time student at a university here in Arizona. She is doing this all on her own. She already has done more than I did at her age. I am very proud that all my children work hard just like I did growing up with nothing just handed to them.

October 14, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  137. Claudia, Houston, Tx

There is no comparison of my parent's lives to mine because they always said "things aren't the way they use to be". Because I didn't know how things use to be, my child won't know either.

October 14, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  138. Karl from SF, CA

My 3 kids in Michigan are doing quite well, probably better than me here in CA, believe it or not. They bought homes 10 to 15 years ago, at a reasonable price, got a fixed rate mortgage and have paid on it and haven’t played “real-estate roulette” like many have with 2nd and 3rd mortgages to drain their equity and lost those home. They have kept their jobs, noting fancy but it pays the bills. By the time their homes are paid off they will have a home for life they can afford with an income that will maintain it. On the other hand, most of my grandkids are still living at home because they can’t do what their parents did right now, but will when the time is right.

October 14, 2010 at 6:37 pm |
  139. Kathleen Jess

I have great hope in our imagination as a people. The financal stress that many of us are living in creates situations that offer opportunity to slow down and review how we live. Our behaviors can change. Like we did fifty years ago. We did not toss out, but reused items. We mended cloths, and pitched in helping the family with money. We thought of the whole, not the individual. And we still had fun.

I believe that we have an opportunity to see how we are going to adapt to this century's technoligical boom. Jobs are lost, but jobs are also created. We can complain, or roll up our sleeves and ask, "What can I do?" John F. Kennedy said it well and he motivated a whole Peace Corp Movement. Possibly we need a Peace Corp Movement here in the United States? Young people can do, and so can old. We are in changing times, and to change hurts. There is potential, and I am excitied and will remain so. Our younger generation will be creative and show us all the possibilities that will become standard. It is happening, and will continue to. Oh the times they are a changing.

October 14, 2010 at 6:38 pm |
  140. Gigi Oregon

They will not be able to own a home as early as we did, they will work longer and earn less, not have strong unions to fight for them. we did not have student loans to pay off, Social security could be sent to Wall street to be handled, retire later and the list goes on and on. Sad isn't it. I blame it on the election of 2000 when we we're told by the fundamental Christians this Republican party was a good thing. Now we see houses being foreclosed in every neighbor hood across the nation, Jobs shipped over seas, crooks bailed out, excessive bonuses and wages. Makes you want to cry for them. Some parents tried to warn their kids but as always kids think their parents are pretty dumb. I did. I wish I'd had listened a little better I may have been a better parent if I'd followed my parents advice they learned from the great depression.
    Oregon

October 14, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  141. Don

The US has 0.3 billion people, China 1.3 billion not to mention the rest of the world. Jobs are being exported from the US thanks to organizations like the "US" Chamber of Commerce, and tax policies supported by Congress, expecially republicans. World resources are being depleted and dispersed to a greater number of people worldwide. Population in the US is expected to increase to 500 million in the 40 or so years. Our infrastructure is collapsing and will not be able to function under the burden of this population. We are allowing ourselves to fall behind in education. In spite of health care reform, which some are still fighting and want to repeal, we pay more for health per person than other civilized countries and have a lower life expectancy. Do the math.

October 14, 2010 at 6:42 pm |
  142. will from Co.

How do you think your children's lives will compare to your own?

I’m an African American; I have a MSM Degree and my wife has a MPH Degree and nether one of us is working full time. Also, I’m old enough to have heard and seen the entire debate over Affirmative Action during the 70’s and 80’s and as of today not much has changed accept every other minority group benefited; not African Americans. All I have is hope and prayer for our children.

October 14, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
  143. Wade in Las Vegas, Nevada

They will be better off because they will be accustomed to change and to see opportunity better than I was taught. There is no more security in life, and that is ok. The difference between me and him is that I expected there to be some security. He won't; he will plan for that.

October 14, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
  144. Cathy in Richmond

Jack, our children will be just fine. Don't get me started...we baby boomers gave our children all the things we didn't have and now not only do they expect everything to be given to them, they don't know how to get anything for themselves. For fear of ruining their self esteem, they've never been told no. Our children need to suffer a bit, especially financially. It'll be good for them.

October 14, 2010 at 6:46 pm |
  145. Bob in Kansas City

I don't think they will be as bad off as some like to portray.....perhaps enough will come to their senses and do something permanent about bought and paid for politicians (constitutional amendment maybe?) and fix health care once and for all instead of this coporate handout like we got last summer.....The kids will do fine, let them find their own way and solutions to long simmering problems. I have more faith in them than most of my generation.

October 14, 2010 at 6:47 pm |
  146. Donna

I am extremely excited for my children and grandchildren. Our country has moved forward. Electing our first African American President and our first woman house speaker. Our country I believe, has finally opened it's mind. Although their are some that would like to go back to the way things were. Sure, it will be a bit tough for all, but nothing in life should be so easy. How else do you learn to appreciate things in life. So yes, I am so happy that my children and grandchildren will have opportunities that I and others ever thought were possible. With all the doom and gloom on TV, I try to look at the positives. We live in a wonderful country. Not everyone on this earth can say that.

October 14, 2010 at 6:49 pm |