October 13th, 2010

Would you support N.J. Governor Christie for president?

ALT TEXT

Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey is pictured at a campaign event for California Republican Party gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman last month. (PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

We're talking rare here - like monsoons in the Sahara Desert, one-eyed snakes, Blitzer beardless.

We're talking about a politician who gets elected by telling the voters one thing ... and then, when he gets into office, doing that exact same thing. This almost never happens.

And in the process, New Jersey's Republican Gov. Chris Christie is putting the lie to the traditional idea that political success must be accompanied by squandering the taxpayers' money on all manner of foolishness and extravagance.

In fact, this guy is now being talked about more and more as possible presidential material.

Christie was elected governor of New Jersey with marching orders to stop spending money. And lo and behold, that's what he's doing.

For example, just last week, he pulled the plug on the largest public transit project in the country, a commuter tunnel running under the Hudson River into Manhattan. Christie said New Jersey couldn't afford its share of the cost overruns. Imagine that.

Christie has also taken on the teachers' and public workers' unions and their expensive contracts. And he's dramatically slashed spending, including for education and aid to towns and cities.

In all, Christie closed a more than $2 billion budget deficit last year and an $11 billion budget deficit this year.

Of course, it's totally ruffling the feathers of the status quo, the "you scratch my back with the taxpayers' back scratcher" crowd, who is used to their politicians handing over the public's money in exchange for their support. And that's just a wonderful thing.

Imagine what a guy like this could do in Washington, where Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid can't even be bothered to get a budget passed, let alone exercise any fiscal restraint. The possibilities seem breathtaking.

Of course, it will be a little tough to convert to socialism if the government money well dries up. But then, that's the point, isn't it?

Here’s my question to you: Would you support New Jersey Governor Chris Christie if he ran for president?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Lance in California writes:
Jack, My first reaction is "yes"! He has certainly kept his word to cut the budget, and he seems strong enough to deal with the press and the lunatic left. The mere fact that he can stand up and tell the state unions to "suck it up, the budget is being CUT" makes him interesting to most conservatives. I would certainly give him a close listen!

T.C. writes:
Jack, He's the man for the job. I live in Philadelphia so I've been following him closely. He is what the middle class needs in the White House.

Judy in California writes:
How about we send this guy to California before we talk presidency? If he can clean up the mess these morons have made here, I will vote for him for president. And I am a Democrat.

Al in New Jersey writes:
You have got to be kidding. Christie has still not come up with multi-year financial plans, alternative financing and new revenue sources for New Jersey, and other concepts he promoted early in his term.

Jim in Citrus Springs, Florida writes:
Absolutely. He's a breath of fresh air. Christie makes one think of Teddy Roosevelt: a can-do, will-do, just get out of the way, special interest be damned. I sure like what I hear.

Dan in Louisville, Kentucky writes:
It is certainly appealing to hear about a man who says what he means and does what he says. However, we Americans are still so naive that we think we are electing an emperor or a benevolent dictator. How would "President Christie" persuade Congressional Democrats who can't say "NO" to spending programs, or Republicans who say "NO" to everything?

Mickey writes:
Yes! I would work for him and do what I could to get the votes. A man who would cut spending and the size of government sounds good to me. You think he would tax churches and CNN? Now, that would be perfect!

Filed under: Elections
  1. honest John in Vermont

I've only read a little about his war on crazt spending and I don't know if he's a Democrat or Republican. But if half of what is true–he's got my vote.

October 13, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  2. Lisa Ramsey

3. Taly

Absolutely! This is the kind of person we need to lead our country. Someone who actually does what he says and who is not afraid to say NO. I hope he becomes the candidate so I have the pleasure of voting for him.

4. Cynthia Guy

Would I vote for an honest candidate who will make difficult decisions in order to balance the budget? Yes! We adults must sacrifice now so that our children will be better off.

5. david kent

yup, he is what we have been clamoring for!

6. Barb Bailey

Give me a ballot. I'll vote for Christie right now! Hang in there Mr. Christie there are those of us who are on your side.

Englewood, FL.

7. Cindy

8. Liz

Yes! Can we borrow him in California?

from: Irvine, california

9. Dan Stenclik

Absolutely. This is the kind of politician that is LONG overdue in Washington. The only problem being he may not get the support from the big money folks, which always seems to be a pre-requisite to getting elected. Let's hope he bucks the trend and starts a new status quo!

10. Matt

Yawn......Yes

11. Caroline Denham

Yes indeed I would support Gov Christie!!! Where do I sign up??

12. Sylvia Engel

Yes, I would, we need a fiscal conservative...God help the USA
    stop the spending....create jobs.

13. peacequiet

Yes I would vote for Gov Christie !
    He is my fav politician

I am Conservative Republican Pacific North West

14. Linda Bahnsen

Absolutely!! If only he would move to Colorado. What a refreshing breath of fresh air, an honest politician who does what he pledges to do at election time.

15. Jim Necci

Are you kidding? Absolutely, just get his name on the ballot! Please.....

16. nina daves

Never.

17. Dolores Mounce

Jack, can you hear me shouting? YES!!!

18. james

Absolutely its a nice to see a Republican put their name out that isn't connected with the Tea Party.

19. DIANE DARLING

Yes, yes & yes. I don't want to be socialist. I don't want to borrow money from China. As all wise folks say "when you are digging yourself into a deep whole, the first thing is to STOP DIGGING". What we can't afford, we should not do!

20. jose Fernandez

yes-yes

21. S. Shelnut

Absolutely, he is exactly what we need in DC! Run Chris Run!

22. Luke Gordon

Hell no! You left off from your list that he also cut income taxes on the top 2% of NJ taxpayers, exactly the people who need it the last. Christie is more interested in getting positive reviews from arch-conservatives than in really turning the state around. Hopefully there will be a recall movement soon.

23. NJ Army Staff Sergeant

Jack.......

Retirement is going to be sooner than you think if you continue to talk like that > are you crazy? NJ has lost thousands of jobs and STILL has to pay unemployment benefits insurance to anyone who is approved thanks to Christie's spending cuts...?

I bet he would run for President and said he would go to the gym too.....THEN you'd see lies at their finest ha!

24. Jose Gonzalez

Yes! He has proven to not just talk the talk but walk the walk. We do not need any more speech-givers. We need someone with the guts to make tough desicions just like he has done in New Jersey.

25. Roxanne Baxter

CHRISTIE FOR PRESIDENT! What is it that other politicians don't get about "we can't afford it"? Perhaps if they used their own checkbook to spend, spend, spend, it would sink in.

26. Amarissa

So far so good, Jack. He sure is doing what he promised he would do and that is certainly a surprise for us voters. If he is the choice against Obama, I would have no doubts in pulling the level for Christie! Mickey Mouse would do too! Anything is better than what we have now.
    Miami, Florida

27. Mary Sulcer

Yes I would support Chris Cristie

28. Frederick Jaxheimer

Yes. Yes, and YES in case you can't hear me. I truly wish he could be both governor of New Jersey & my state (Pennsylvania).

29. Pam Black

Keller, TX

30. Ricky Rodriguez

Governor Christie is a great choice. Although I am a Ron Paul supporter, I would definitely consider voting for Christie ... that is ... of course if Ron Paul is not in the same race...

31. jackson treu

I have never voted in my life an am 33, and live in California,where this kind of man would do wonders for our lack of anyone wanting to do anything about our deficit. I would voteo for him definetly, for the simple facts hes not out for himself and hes out for the good of the people from what it seems.

32. ed dalton

Chris Christie of course. All the way!

33. Pdm

NO Why doesn't he just fire everybody and let them go on "unemployment". That's what he's doing.

34. Sharon Estep

Yes. Just heard the report. He sounds good.

35. Terry Doherty

He talks a little funny for we Southern voters, but ACTIONS speak louder than words. Yea, I'd vote for Christie for President based on his realistic view of economic coreectness.

36. Betty

Yes, would support Gov. Christi for President in the blink of an eye! God bless Gov. Christi!

37. gale powell

not in this life time

38. Bob Sagget

I would not support him. He is just another republican who wants to hold back progress. I notice that republicans never support things that are meant to improve this country. However, if it has to do with war, they always choose to fund more fighting and less peace.

39. Donna B

Heck NO! I wouldn't support this big bully. I think his stopping the rail project was so stupid that there is no way I could support him. I want spending cut but I want responsible cutbacks.

40. Steve Pocock

Sure, I'd vote for him. The real question is, would anyone else. Cutting spending is easy. Everybody things the government wastes money. The trouble is, one person's waste is another persons lifeline. I don't have any kids in school anymore...so cut that education budget – but spend more on roads because I use them. How long until Jersey is complaining that their education standards are slipping, after they can't keep good teachers in the system because they can make more money fixing potholes.

41. jean andrewa

No....no way would I vote for him.....a big nothing,,,,no brainer...just another "no" republican...

42. James J. Volpone III

I don't know, what other tricks can he do. There's more to being the president than just balancing the budget......Good opening act though.

43. Luisa

Yes, i would support Christie for president. He's got guts!

44. thomamoa

According to NJ.Com, the tunnel project is still on. If you like bullies for president, then Christie is your man. That is why his legislation is pending in his state.

Arm twisting is the way of New Jersey. Such tactics make more enemies than allies especially in the New Political Liberal vs. Conservative New World Order!

45. TimInNC

First off jack, we aren't converting to Socialism. Not by a long shot, and you should know better.

Second, you act like only Democrats have pet spending projects that could be cut.

Third...you mean Republican obstructionism have nothing at all to do with Reid and Pelosi not being able to pass a budget?

46. Shari from Madison

It would depend on what he cuts and how much he cuts. I wouldn't mind him cutting all the extra administrative staff that schools have, but if he were to cut or totally eliminate assistance to the Mentally ill I would be dead set against him. I admire him for his willingness to make tough decisions.

47. Ken G

Until 2007, I had spent my life in NJ. The politics there were always a MESS. Chris Christie is a breath of fresh air for NJ – I almost wish I still lived there. Would I support him for president, hell yeah!!!!!!! We as a country need to learn that we MUST live within our means – this means that we either need to restrict all spending to the amount of taxes collected or we need to raise taxes to cover what we need to spend.

48. Tim Spayde

I don't know Gov Christie well enough to say he'd be a good president, but he sure has the salt and courage we need. Why wait 2 years, can't we find a few like him in 2 weeks?

49. Barry

The description of Chris Christie in this article is NOT accurate. For one thing, he is NOT doing what he said he would do in the campaign - for example, during the campaign he specifically supported the rail tunnel. What Christie is really doing in New Jersey is engaging in scapegoating and class warfare. He never saw a way to "stick it" to teachers and cops he didn't like, or a way to further enrich the rich that he didn't like. Not to mention that he's got an abrasive personality totally unsuited for building coalitions. (On a similar note, how about talking to the Department of Transportation before pulling the plug on a huge transportation project?) I think Jack Cafferty is listening to Christie's P.R. and not to the facts.

50. David

If I wanted a short-sighted, job killing neanderthal I'd vote for him. That tunnel project he killed meant jobs for today, and an easier commute for millions of people in the future with less dependence on foreign oil. Politicians like Christie are the reason our infrastructure is crumbling. They only know how to slash and burn what benefits the majority while scapegoating the politically weak to consolidate power and enrich the already rich. Get real, Jack. I want someone who can look past this fiscal year, and lay the groundwork that will take us through the 21st century.

David

New York

51. John

All of you people that say that you will vote for Christie, come live here in NJ for a year. Then, maybe you will change your mind. Christie is NOT PRESIDENTIAL MATERIAL. Our state is suffering more every day because of this guy. Imagine him in the White House?

Obama for President 2012.

52. Nathaniel Morgan

What is it with this inane belief that slashing budgets in the midst of a terrible economy will somehow improve the situation? Yes he can save money but can he save jobs. Im sure that the thousands of unemployed workers in his state who have seen their benefits, wages, and job cuts will be appropriately thanking him when his term is over.

53. Randi L.

I like a lot of what he's doing, but I don't like the type of person he is. He's a chip off the Joe Arpaio block. A break your enemies into little pieces, Machiavelli philosophy. It's only a matter of time before power goes to his head and he starts acting like the president of a banana republic and his family and friends mysteriously become wealthy. There have been other governors like this recently, and I see them when I look at and listen to him. I shudder to think of this guy as President.

October 13, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  54. Jackie Bruder

Sure he would be great in Washington! He closed an $ll billion dollar deficit in NJ by refusing to pay a $3.l billion payment for a loan the state owes to the NJ Pension fund! We would all have extra money if we didn't pay our bills. This loan was mandated by the Court to be paid back in installments and he ignored it. Isn't that what all good politicians do?
    He also did not pay $l.7 billion to schools under the formula for education aid. He really believes in education!

October 13, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  55. Liz

Before you anoint Governor Christie as the next King, remember the excitement over Sara Palin? What you see is not what you get. As a New Jersey resident, I have seen Christie in action, and all he cares about is his rise to fame. The fact that we lost 480 million in the Race to the Top program because Mr. Christie didn't want the perception of agreeing with the Teachers' Union clearly shows that Mr. Christie doesn't care about the children of New Jersey. There is a fundamental difference between a great leader and a school yard bully.

October 13, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  56. Jane

Most certainly.

October 13, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  57. Matt, San Diego CA

I won't be voting Republican any time soon. Despite their individualistic campaigns, promising to buck the system, I will believe it when I see it. The Dems may be a bit dysfunctional internally, but at least they're not yes-men, rank and file clones. Every time a GOP'er gets in office, they say they'll shake up Washington with independent thinking, but they just end up shaking hands with every other Rep, and end up the same as the rest of them. Thanks but no thanks, Christie isn't getting my vote.

-Matt

October 13, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  58. Scott

I live in NJ and I know this guy is a hack. I don't want him for President.

October 13, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  59. Denver Hope

I would absolutely support a man like this, how refreshing!

October 13, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  60. thomas

if he really cared about tax payers he should ay his own health insurance,make other government workers pay a percentage of their health insurance like many of us do. After all, dont they work for us. Education is the most important thing to our children,yet he cuts that spending . does he live in the governors mansion? how much does that cost annually to operate. Its great that he cut the deficits in his state, but he should make wiser cuts. Does he have an aide? does that aide have an aide I would bet a paycheck. If we taxpayers have to make sacrifices then our employees should to

October 13, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  61. Marc

Washington doesnt need another bloated politician who thinks he can solve all the worlds problems by pointing the finger at hard working people.

What he gave NJ:
    state revenues sorces continue to lag, no pension contribution, further job losses in 9 months under his administration and political appointments that he vowed to end continue,

Yeh hes right for the country – i think not!

October 13, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  62. Margaret

In a heartbeat! If that doesn't work out, please,please send him to California we need him as governor!
    Woodland Hills, Ca

October 13, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  63. TaxedOut

My immediate reaction is, no. Even though he denies it, it's in his plans for sometime in the future. He must be spending big bucks for his self-promotion trips under the guise of party support. (Govenor, stay home more) Because of his cuts, our property taxes have sky rocketed. He's hurting more people than he's helping. And let's get real, how many politicians start out with high ideals, but soon find that to survive in Washington, they have to play the "You get what you want if I get what I want" game.
    But, if he can turn New Jersey around, and I see my taxes, at least, stabilize, I might change my mind.

October 13, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  64. Anu M

No I will not vote for him as just by cutting expenditure he is not ensuring progress. By killing the commuter tunnel project he might have saved money in the short term but definitely brought New Jersey's graph down in development, jobs and revenue in the long run. Definitely doesn't have a futuristic vision.

October 13, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  65. Ron Smith

I'd support Gov. Christie for U.S. President in a "Chicago Minute"...... that's the time it takes public funds to mysteriously accrue to the benefit of public official's pensions, no-bid contract contractors and assorted relatives of the elected.

October 13, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  66. Marie Schmitz

Right now I would vote for Scrooge. It seem as though there is more than a billions of dollars suppose to be going to Haiti. I can see helping others in time of need but America is going to be a in financial collapse if someone does;nt do something about this President and his senate and congress.

October 13, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  67. John from San Antonio

How could you not support him? there might be another honest politician out there somewhere but then again when the special interests start feeling threatened they will crank up the advertising mill to turn people against any form of honesty or independence..

October 13, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  68. TwinMom NJ

Yes – cut that education! That's exactly where to stop the budget bleed. With 'rich overpaid, greedy teachers'. Let's take more funding from our already struggling NJ students, load the classrooms up even to greater numbers, scare off experienced quality teachers into early retirement, and make sure new talent doesnt want the job so we have no new teachers to bring into the system. And then brag about what a good job you did when you make 500K+ a year and your kids go to private school. Anyone not in NJ who says this guy is presidential material needs to take a closer look at what is really going on in NJ.

October 13, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  69. Valerie in Raleigh

A true conservative Republican – cut the things that help the average man but don't dare do anything to hinder the wealth-gathering of the Republican elete. The Republican party has acted shamefully since President Obama was elected. Never will another Republican candidate get my vote or my financial support.

October 13, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  70. Elaine

Oh please! Please! Come reign in California! The unions and the legislature are completely out of control here! We'll write you in in November, as neither Brown nor Whitman have a clue nor the guts to go up against these factions.

October 13, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  71. Tricia allen

Yes! I would vote for gov. Christie. He is one of the first politicians to have the foresight and courage to recognize the extent of our fiduciary responsibilities, willingness to confront special interest groups and participate in our political realm as an accurate representative of the American taxpayers. Tricia Allen, Atlanta Ga

October 13, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  72. Desparate in NJ

Never!
    Where's his vision for the future? The tunnel is a must have for NY & NJ. It's jobs now and less traffic in the future. There's nothing original about Gov Christie's actions. It's a page off the Republican play book. Look carefully – Where's the alternative Gov?

October 13, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  73. Tony

I don't know if he is Presidential material but what I do hope is that other "spineless" politicians take his lead and make the hard financial/budget decisions that most all families are making in this country. Why Gov Christie is so believable is because he actually cares about his State and its people more than he cares about his own political ambitions. Let's hope that he doesn't get corrupted along the ay – as many others have. The first tenet of leadership is to actually care about those that you are leading. They are not to be used as stepping stones but are to be served.

October 13, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  74. Tony V.

The Governor is doing a great job but as President it would take support from both the House and the Senate for any lasting changes. The President isn't necessarily the problem. It's the members of Congress that must be dealt with as well. You can put all the reformers you want in the Oval Office. As long as the outside fringes of both parties continue making non-existent issues the forefront of the political debate (Ground Zero mosque, as an example) we will continue taking one step forward and two steps backwards.

October 13, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  75. FatSean

Unless he is willing to cut military spending, medicare spending and medicaid spending, he's a liar.

October 13, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  76. Anne of Medford, NJ

Not on my life. After watching how he puts his special cronies in office and isn't interested in the people but himself I couldn't. He's no different than many who have come before. When his time is up in NJ, people will see his damage. And, frankly I am not sure if he even knows there is more state below Trenton. He's definitely not South Jersey's governor.

October 13, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  77. Benjamin Prouser

Jack,

Chris Christie has the right idea with cutting some projects that aren't needed, but the issue goes farther than that. If he is elected president he can't focus on cutting taxes and uneeded projects alone. President Obama and the next president elected has to improve relations between both parties. Our country has become like a giant group of Three Stooges. Argue to get your point and have your way. We need a president who will fix the picture overall rather than a small portion. So my answer is no! Christie use your head and focus on the big picture of America rather than one flaw you and Republicans always seem to pick at. We need to be smart not dumb and focus on one thing. America needs to be fixed with the two parties rather than continuing the habit of poking fingers at each other. Is this really the American way? God I hope not.

Ben

Massachusetts

October 13, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  78. Andrea

I don't live in NJ, but my whole family does. Most of them are teachers. Imagine watching 1/2 to all of the teachers in your district loose their jobs and fear that the position you've held for 20+ years will suddenly disappear because teachers' contracts are "too expensive" (ie, we make education compulsory but don't pay or even value the people who provide it). I don't know about the teachers you know, but the teachers I know spend a lot of money to stock their own classrooms and are barely middle class. What's too expensive about this? This guy should not be in office, period, let alone allowed to run for the presidency.

October 13, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  79. Dwayne

Impressive fellow in these days of nothingness on the political landscape, both parties take heed.

October 13, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  80. David E. Newton

Sounds like the ideal Republican candidate to me! Don't worry about the thousands of workers who will be out of a job, as long as the top 2% of the rich in New Jersey get to add another room to their house or another yacht to their fleet. Who cares about the poor and unemployed anyway? Christic is just the man to present that Republican principle to the general public.

October 13, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  81. steve in Fl

Anybody can stop spending money. I can stop paying all my bills and wait for the lights to go off. That doesn't make me presidential material. Repairing a broken economy is a little more complicated than that. Any non-embedded economist will tell you that you put money into play during a recession. Where was this guy during the Bush shopping spree? I'm sure the next GOP flavor of the month will knock this guy off the list in the very near future .

October 13, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  82. Maggie

Absolutely NOT! He is such a bully!!

October 13, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  83. Jerry Clewlow

Let's send Washington to New Jersey to learn fiscal responsibility from Governor Christie. Better yet, let's replace the Washington bureaucrats in November. It's time our government starts to understand the needs of the people; reduce the size of the government, reduce spending.

October 13, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  84. Robert S.

I voted for Christie this past election in New jersey, and i'm a registered Democrat. While he has fulfilled some of his promises that address problems our great state is faced with, I still feel he hasn't come through for the people of New Jersey. Most of us are heavily burdened by property taxes, and I don't see him addressing that issue enough or at all. Also, it would be nice to see him go after the police officers/fire departments who embezzle ridiculous pensions for doing very little work. When it comes down to it i'm not really sure if I would vote for him if he ran for president.

October 13, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  85. whut

This is not even a hard question. A politician that stands up to unions and special interests and talks straight......Uhhhh, Yes, I would support him in a heartbeat.

October 13, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  86. Jersey Mike

Absolutely! I literally bumped into Christie at a local NJ mall while he was enageged in a spirited debate with a group of public teachers. I can attest that he is the real deal that fights for the taxpayer.

October 13, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  87. Larry

Courage to face political fallout over spending cuts, he's our man.

October 13, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  88. Larry in Indianapolis, IN

Yes, he is the type of leader we need. He might have trouble reigning in Congress, but at least we would have a fighting chance of saving our country from bankruptcy if we had a President willing to stand up the unions and other entrenched special interest groups.

October 13, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  89. Joseph Rabushka

No. He blocked the tunnel under the Hudson that would create untold number of jobs. Maybe as president he would eliminate Medicare and Social security. Everybody seems to forget that it was Bush who got us into this mess. If not for the Iraq war that cost trillions we might have enough money to take care of our roads and infrastructure.l

October 13, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  90. Jack NYC

No. He blew a 400 million dollar aid to education package and then he turned down a federal grant to help expand the commuter line from NJ to NYC. That, in particular, is very short-sighted. Yes, he may have saved a bit of money now but the state will lose huge amounts as the transportation infrastructure further deteriorates. He is not thinking of the future. It's like not buying a new pair of shoes because you don't want to put it on your credit card. In a few months your shoes wear out and you have damaged feet. So then you must buy new shoes and pay a medical bill. Simplistic and not creative thinking.

October 13, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  91. mike

Yes...yes...yes...we don't want much...just some who listens to the people.

October 13, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  92. Roy

Anybody who stands up to the thuggish teachers union gets my vote

October 13, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  93. Christopher Blunt

Are you nuts? This guy can't tell the difference between good spernding and bad spending. If we follow his lead we'll end up a third world country. No infrastrucutre, no educational system, no jobs.

October 13, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  94. Working man in NJ

Before endorsing him for President, one should really study the man and what he is really all about. A popular NJ radio station helped him ascend to the Governorship. Recently, the State lost a $400 million Federal education grant because he was criticized by an announcer of that station and did not want to appear to give in to the teachers. He refuses to take responsibility for his mistakes. Instead he fired the Republican Commissioner of Education. He is a BULLY and unfit to be a President or even a Governor.

Brick, NJ

October 13, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  95. Doris

No, if it sounds to good to be true, than it is. D
    Keep falling for the okie doke if you want. I've been around long enough to know, no one gets into politics because they want to help others, they're in it for themsleves, those closest to them and sure as hell not for me. It's Christie today as the hero, as soon as he is elected aPresident, we the people will find some reason to dislike him.

October 13, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  96. inofritzn

YESSSS! Please run!

October 13, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  97. Thomas Basham

No, he is a penny wise and pound foolish. America needs infrastructure improvement. American needs jobs, he is projecting cost overruns that may never materialize. He can ask that the contract be restructured so that N.J is not responsible for the cost overruns. He just lost 6000 jobs. I want politicians to do the right thing. I want them to bring jobs to their state, fully finance education, police and fire departments, end wasteful spending. Move people from poverty into the middleclass. If these things are done then states wouldn't need the amount taxes they now crave. Republicans are always selling the free lunch. Now when the Federal gov't picks up the tab for the tunnel, I am sure Christie will be first in line claiming credit. America is not number 1 in education, healthcare, or modern infrastructure. We used to want to be the best. Now we just want to be conservative.

October 13, 2010 at 5:55 pm |
  98. Jody, Tucson

I would love to see Christie run for President. He is a strong leader, making solid decisions that are in the long term interests of all the people of New Jersey, refusing to pander to special interests. Furthermore, he is able to articulate his point of view in a forthright and intelligent manner. Our country is ready for a true leader.

October 13, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  99. Stephen in Colorado

Unemployment will stay over 10% on his watch....
    No investment in the future...

October 13, 2010 at 5:57 pm |
  100. jlo

I live in illinois where next to California we have a HUGE budget deficit and private sector jobs are being lost left and right. Part of the problem is too many entitlements and too many government jobs with very comfortable benefits and a diminishing tax base. I would rather that govt jobs be lost if it means that budgets can be reduced so that tax rates can be adjusted so that private jobe be created.

October 13, 2010 at 5:57 pm |
  101. Felix

I don't know ... Jack but I do know Christie is a governor who doesn't have his priorities in order. Isolationism is no excuse for cutting back on funding your state's initiatives and keeping your economy from growing.

Felix Giordano
    Ashford, CT

October 13, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  102. E J Reynolds

As an ex-Jerseyite, I certainly would vote for him as President. He's like a breath of fresh air! Go Chris!

October 13, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  103. George Pronesti

As a New Jersey resident I am enjoying first hand Mr. Christie's acomplishments. If Mr. Christie were to run for president I would support him 100%. Although it would be a loss for New Jersey, I feel we would still gain from the benefits of change he could bring to National Government. His basic common sense approach to problems of all kinds is incredibly refreshing and is exactly what is needed after what we all have been subject to, especially over the past two years. It would seem almost to good to be true that this could happen.

October 13, 2010 at 5:58 pm |
  104. Joel Miller

He's a brave, intelligent and decent person but I wouldn't vote for him because he is wrong about infrastructure spending and stimulating the economy. I drive through New Jersey many times each year. I drove through the State just this weekend and was appalled by the line ups at the toll gates. Cutbacks apparently have seriously slowed down traffic. Its just one example of how these types of cutbacks disrupt the economy as trucks, busses and those on business can spend up to 40 minutes waiting to get through a single toll gate. Christies opposition to the NY-NJ tunnel, a project that already has been launched is an example of how austerity will kill future jobs and prosperity.

October 13, 2010 at 5:59 pm |
  105. Steve Carroll

No – I wouldn't support him for President – I want him here in NJ!!!

October 13, 2010 at 5:59 pm |
  106. JiminGeorgia

It not that simple. just balance the budjet and cut unemployment benefits and continiue to hand out tax cuts to business.....Washington is broke because no republican wanted to see any poloicy of a black president succeed. simple! If he was a republican he would have been a huge success because the demoncrats dont care if you are black or white. Mr president you should have run as a republicans...

October 13, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  107. Ted Hoyt

We have just had a near financial melt down because individuals borrowed way beyond their means to pay back their debt. The debt defaults have caused us to be in the worst recession since the depression.
    Why can't we understand that living beyond our means creates serious problems. Public debt has the same conseguences. Our present irresponsible government spending is going to create a collapse that will make the depression look good.
    I will certainly vote for Gov CHristie for president. He seems to be the only elected official that gets it.

October 13, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  108. Ashley New Jersey

Absolutely not, he may have done some of the things he promised but he has put the well-being of the states children out of importance, and has made many more situations in New Jersey worse. One promise followed through, doesn't mean he is doing good in other ways.

October 13, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  109. MARK A. LEITER

As to Gov. Christie , YES, YES & YES, from a lifelong Democrat, who is fed up with it all!

October 13, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  110. BP

He has my vote! I've lived in NJ for many years and never saw anyone who said they were going to do that, do that. From Cahill to Corzine, including Byrne, Florio, Whitman, and the other status quo suits!
    NJ may be unique in many areas, but right now, I think NJ is going to set the pace for cuts in spending and voter satisfaction. We're tired of politics as usual.

October 13, 2010 at 6:00 pm |