October 6th, 2010

Would promise to undo health care get you to vote for a Republican?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

Much like the Democrats themselves, President Obama's signature issue of health care reform might get quite a beating in the midterm elections.

For starters, three states will vote on proposed constitutional amendments that would let them opt out of key provisions in the health care law.

Arizona, Colorado and Oklahoma are all hoping to follow the lead of Missouri - which has already passed a similar initiative with a whopping 71 percent of the vote.

The idea of these measures is to ban the federal government from forcing people to buy health insurance.

Supporters say it's unconstitutional. Whether it is or not, there is a lot of opposition to this law which was cobbled together out of public view, contains no public option, and so far hasn't done a single thing to bring down health care costs.

A lot of Republicans are latching on to the discontent over this issue; pledging to repeal the health care law if they win control of Congress.

Democrats who voted against the bill are also making sure their constituents know it, and a lot of those who voted for the bill are keeping quiet.

It's unlikely Republicans will be able to repeal the measure while President Obama is still in office. And it's unclear if moderate Republicans and Independents will support efforts to undo the law.

A recent CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll shows 47 percent of those surveyed want Congress to repeal and replace the health care law; and fewer than one in five think the law will personally help them or their families.

Here’s my question to you: Would a promise to undo health care reform be enough to get you to vote for a Republican?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

J. writes:
Considering what the Republicans want to replace it with and considering it was the Republicans who blocked a better reform law, I'd say that the threat of repeal would move me to absolutely vote for a Democrat! This law can be improved over time with a Democratic Congress only.

Lisa in Connecticut writes:
Must admit I voted for Jodi Rell in Connecticut but will never vote for Linda McMahon. Almost nothing would get me to vote for a Republican, ever again. For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

June writes:
Yes, yes, yes.

DeDe in Tucson, Arizona writes:
Never. We need health care reform! We finally got something going on that, why give it up? It needs to be tweaked perhaps, but it's about time 'pre-existing conditions' won't keep you from being able to get insurance.

Marilyn in Ohio writes:
Nothing could get me to vote for a Republican, EVER. We had eight years under George W. Bush rule and look where our country is.

Rich in Texas writes:
Yes, the Republicans are getting my vote. I'm a small business owner who employs 100 people. It seems to me that between the health care bill and the tax increases, Obama is telling me to take my company off-shore. People can call me wealthy all they want. What they need to understand is that my competition is in Mexico and China. What choice do I have? If I don't, I will go broke.

James writes:
Jack, I would vote for anyone who would promise to explain to me what has been passed.

Filed under: Election Process • Elections • GOP • Health care • Republican Party • Republicans
  1. James in North Carolina

October 6, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
  2. Gail, Plano TX

Jack: I would never vote Republican, ever, never have, never will for any reason. They are the party of hate. This go-round, they hate the President of their country. Let's see them repeal health care! I dare them!

October 6, 2010 at 4:21 pm |
  3. Andy Lynn, MA

As long as the provisions of the health care bill do not include illegal aliens I will do everything possible to oppose the repeal of this legislation. If there is a provision for including illegals in the umbrella medical care reform then I will assist in any way possible in this legislations repeal. And finally, after what the republicans have done to this country, I will never, ever vote for a republican again.

October 6, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
  4. Lori - PA

Jack,

I've learned to take a politicians promise with a lot of skepticism. So, no a promise to undo health care reform by a Republican won't be enough to get me to vote for said person.

October 6, 2010 at 4:25 pm |
  5. Tina Tx

Never. They are not the party for the people even though they say they are. They are only for their rich croonies and most of the voters are not mega rich and if they vote for the Republicans in the end will end up regretting they voted for them when they are all forced to sit for hours and days at the county hospital because the Republicans took away the better healthcare that Obama put in place. Be careful what you wish for you might not like what you get.

October 6, 2010 at 4:25 pm |
  6. Mark Meisner

Don't repeal the healthcare bill! Is it perfect....no, but it can be modified. If the line item veto was in effect then it could be corrected easier. However at the end of the day it is still progress and it is going in the right direction. We need to be in line with the rest of the world and provide health care for all. At the very least keep the pre existing condition clause in place. My parents pay through the roof on their insurance because of misdiagnosed high blood pressure and cancer diagnoses. We promissed ourselves in the early 90's we'd tackle this topic and we are still divided.

October 6, 2010 at 4:26 pm |
  7. Dennis north Carolina

I would not vote for a republican for a federal office in congress because it would cause a stalemate in the work that government needs to complete. this has happen in the past were government sat still or four years. as far as health care, we need a national program to control expenses on all sides of the fence. repeal the law and only the rich will have medical care. we are becoming a third world country like africa, south america and central america.

October 6, 2010 at 4:27 pm |
  8. John - Texas

I will vote for anyone who promises to eliminate corruption in Washington. That is the reason we have this health bill, it puts more control in the hands of corporate executives, exactly what they wanted. Health care takes a distant back seat to profits. What we need is an effort to improve health, then costs will come down. As long as we rely on the drug companies and censored information concerning alternative health care they will maintain a monopoly on health care and health will continue its decline while prices escalate.

October 6, 2010 at 4:27 pm |
  9. June

Yes, yes, yes.

October 6, 2010 at 4:28 pm |
  10. Bonnie from NJ

No it would not. I do have a problem somewhat with forcing a person to buy health insurance because there is nothing in the bill that helps to control cost. But I believe all Americans deserve affordable health care and there are some good things in the bill, personally I am for socialized medicine. The Republicans don't want to do anything to help the uninsured and underinsured, the people with preexisting conditions, the people who develop cancer and have their insurance cancelled. Perhaps if they were offering an alternative I may consider, although it would have to be a pretty good alternative.

October 6, 2010 at 4:30 pm |
  11. Thom Richer

Only if they guarantee that I will never need medical attention and if I did they would cover the costs or my salary would be sufficient enough to pay for coverage. Those who pretend to believe that employers will take care of them by paying them a wage where they can afford health care and retirement are just that, pretenders. I won't call them liars. Everything that has been passed by our Congress for the past 20 plus years has been in favor of Corporate America, the wealthy and especially the medical/pharmaceutical companies. This alone makes me ill.

Thom Richer
    Negaunee, MI

October 6, 2010 at 4:32 pm |
  12. Patti, Marietta GA

I will NEVER vote for another Republican as long as I live. As far as I'm concerned everyone of the Republicans in Congress should have to pay back 2 years of pay because they absolutely have done nothing to earn it. If a promise of repealing health care is the agenda I will do my best to campaign against the candidate. Republicans should be ashamed of the trash they have scattered.

October 6, 2010 at 4:33 pm |
  13. Kathie

This promise would make me NOT vote for any republican. The republicans can only say "no" to everything. In Wisconsin, I have yet to hear any clear platform from Johnson or Ryan other than to undo everything that has been accomplished and basically put us back to the failed policies of Bush. Heaven help us!!!!!

October 6, 2010 at 4:35 pm |
  14. Tony San Francisco

Absolutly no!!!

October 6, 2010 at 4:36 pm |
  15. Nurse Lisa

Must admit I voted for Jodi Rell in CT but will never vote for Linda; and almost nothing would get me to vote for a republican, ever again. For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

As a nurse and a human being, I supported health care when Obama proposed it and am glad it passed even with all the GOPs stall tactics and fear mongering.

October 6, 2010 at 4:39 pm |
  16. Tonie from OK

Jack, the answer is 'NO'. Maybe if they swear to get Single Payer, I would then vote for the Republicans.

October 6, 2010 at 4:43 pm |
  17. Annie, Atlanta

It would be enough for me to do the exact opposite, actually. We have a Republican senator up for re-election this year who told me he would never agree to health care reform because he had to protect insurance company profits. Tells me everything I need to know about who he really represents.

October 6, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
  18. Jim

Jack,

You have to hand it to the conservative propaganda machine. They could make Eskimos hate fish. Presidents going back to Teddy Roosevelt have been trying to bring better, more affordable health care to Americans. Under Obama, it actually happened. He campaigned on health care reform and everybody was thrilled. Now people have been hoodwinked into thinking one of the greatest pieces of legislation in the last century is suddenly bad for them. If states want to opt out of mandatory health insurance, let them. But if they come back to the federal government with hat in hand because uninsured people are continuing to use emergency room facilities at state expense, they should be turned away without a red cent.

Jim
    Reno, Nevada

October 6, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
  19. Eve Lemon

Hell no. I voted for Nixon and promised not to vote for another one.
    Eve of Texas

October 6, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
  20. OZ

What is wrong with everyone?Why would anyone do anything to promote the Republican party,with there history of underhanded way of dealing with any problem! Do they remember Richard Nixon????They will never change, and the mentally challanged way of doing things!! OZ from St.Louis,MO.

October 6, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  21. Chaney, La.

I dont know why so many of the American people have drank the Kool-Aid that the Republicans have served up. They just dont get that HC in America is fast becoming unaffordable except for those in the upper income bracket. Repealing HC would be the greatest travesty in my lifetime. So NO I would under NO circumstances vote for a Republican, period.

October 6, 2010 at 5:02 pm |
  22. Tim

Actually it would steer me away from voting Republican. This country needs health care reform. After working in health care for 17 years, I absolutely see a need in the reform. How many of you with opinions even have a clue about what a prospective payment system is? Or have you even heard of diagnosis related groups? If you have not, then what opinion do you actually have in health care reform?

October 6, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
  23. Scott Stodden

I'll Vote For A Republican Jack When They Come Up With A Health Care Plan With A Public Option! The Health Care Bill Is A Good Bill, Finally For The First Time Everyone Will Be Covered, Children Won't Be Denied For Pre-Existing Conditions, Children Can Remain On Your Parents Heatlh Care Until The Age Of 26, Tax Caps Will No Longer Be Allowed, This Doesn't Take Rocket Science To Figure It Out That This Health Care Bill Is Good For America!

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

October 6, 2010 at 5:05 pm |
  24. Tom in Wheaton, Illinois

Jack, I wouldn't vote for a Republican if they promised to repeal illness and death.

October 6, 2010 at 5:08 pm |
  25. Gigi Oregon

Absolutely not. After the Republican party put us into debt with a war that did not have a war tax, sold our soul and country to China to pay for the war (in other words charge it to our unborn grandchildren), gave the rich a tax break, while our brave soldiers died fighting a war in the wrong country. Not on your life. Even if those who got rich of the war paid off the bill. Our grand Kids our going to need that health care because they'll get the bills from the greed of corporate America. The only reason corporate America is fighting the health care bill is they want to tie up profits for themselves. Corporate America is counting on the ignorance of the middle class.
    Ask your self which party does corporate America poor money into. Then vote against that party.

October 6, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
  26. Ben from Boston

We have the prototype of of Obamacare in Massachusetts. It turns out to have some good things but a lot of bad things and my insurance payments have gone through the roof. Mandated purchases are anti-freedom and not pro-choice. I did not like to do it but I already voted for a Republican (Scott Brown) to stop this from happening nationwide.

October 6, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
  27. Greg Who? Mechanicsburg, PA

The bill recently passed is only the first step in insuring that every citizen receives quality health care, it just didn't go far enough. Show me a Republican who supports a public option and I'll vote for them. Reform, yes. Repeal, no.

October 6, 2010 at 5:12 pm |
  28. Midwest Jim

NO. The GOP will sell us out to big Pharma and the Insurance Companies....again.

October 6, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  29. Jo

OH HELL NO!!! Republicans are far worse than any health care bill.

October 6, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  30. Maureen Mower (Wilkes Barre, PA)

Hell NO! I voted for Obama and the Dems because I wanted health reform, and I will vote AGAINST anyone who tries to take it back. I have lived without health coverage for the last 5 years, and I still have 3 more years to wait for 2014. But at least I have the promise that things will be better then – and I'm not letting any ignorant fool on the right take it away from me.

October 6, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  31. John in Florida

Jack, it will be a cold day in hell, before I ever vote for a Republican again!

October 6, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  32. bud rupert

It remains to be seen if the new health care bill will be better then what we had or worse. The bill has some good consumer protection laws but they did nothing to address costs.
    And until we do away with fee for service costs will continue to rise.
    Always has and always will.

October 6, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  33. Jason, Koloa HI

The promise of eternal life, endless wealth and a lifetime supply of chocolate bars wouldn't get me to vote for a Republican ever again. And anybody gullable enough to believe anything they say deserves whatever horrible fate becomes them if they actually gain power again.

October 6, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  34. Reginald (Atlanta, Georgia)

In two words " HECK NO"

October 6, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  35. Jamel

Of course not.

October 6, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  36. Marie MD

Jack, I wouldn't vote republican because I am not selling my soul to the devil. I wish the health care reform bill had a public option but covering the doughnut hole for seniors, making sure children are covered to the age of 26 and the real death panels called insurance companies cannot deny you health care are good enough for now.

October 6, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  37. Barb, Tennessee

Actually, a promise to undo the health care reform bill would be a guarantee that I WOULDN'T vote for a Republican.

October 6, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  38. Lisa Illinois

No, because there is some good in this bill, and when will it ever be taken up again, everyone except Obama is scared to take on healthcare. The bill is not perfect, but there could never be a bill that will pleases everyone in the USA.

October 6, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  39. Bill

Hell no. There is nothing that could ever get me to vote for a Republican.

October 6, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  40. Chet Barrett

Absolutely!
    Government DOES NOT know what is best for us!
    When will it understand this?
    Less Government equals More Freedom!

October 6, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  41. Abe Smith

When it comes to health care there is no way I would vote republican. The biggest problem with the bill that was passed is that it didn't do enough. Give us the public option....

October 6, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  42. Gerard Canta

They will try to revoke the Healthcare Law. It's already a watered-down version of it's draft. And Wall Street wants your Social Security. They want to take everything away.

October 6, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  43. Melissa C. Memphis,Tn

I wouldnt vote for anyone who wanted to UNDO healthcare..From something back to nothing....I will definitely pass on that.

October 6, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  44. RDE

I would not vote for a Republican because they would never vote or support anyone like me. I am black, gay and a female. I support health care for everyone. Republicans have a blame the victim mentality. Heck NO in so many different languages.

October 6, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  45. Melissa

Wow Jack...that sounded like vingear coming out of your mouth..yucky! But to answer your question..most GOP are selfish and don't care about others. They only look out for themselves. Wake up people! Do onto others...health care is a right and not a privelage. I am an independent and I will be voting for those who do not want to repeal health care...let's move forward and not backwards when the day your health care insurance dropped you to pre-exisiting conditions or get sick...live well and prosper.

October 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  46. Raj Arya

Health Care should be the responsibility of the Country. I thought Republicans would understand this. If health care is not paid up-front, people can become unhealthy, thus being unable to spend more time in productive work, and spending more time in emergencies to take care of their health.

"Prevention is better than Cure" is a good proverb for a good reason.

So, NO. I wouldn't vote Republicans for the aforementioned reasons. After all, I sound socialist to most people anyway.

October 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  47. Jason

I would never vote for a republican who will take away my chance of finally getting health insurance.

Grafton, WV

October 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  48. Tom

Jack:

I feel like all this talk about repealing the health reform law is a direct assault on people with disabilities. I have diabetes and cannot find a reasonable health insurance policy without this law in place. What are people like me supposed to do with the madness of the Republican proposals? Just when I get my footing everyone is trying to take it away. I am just sad. Oh yeah, there is no way I will vote Republican unless someone can give me a credible alternative to what we have now.

Thanks for hearing me out,

Tom

October 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  49. H Raschick

I would never vote Republican BECAUSE they want to take away the benefits of the new health care reform, some of which directly benefit my family. The news media would do a better service to the public to focus on the POSITIVES rather than the negatives in many current issues.

October 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  50. Mary Scrivani

Jack,
    When the Rebublican Party grows a heart they will get my vote.
    What do they stand for, I'm bored with what they are against.
    Do something PLEASE

October 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  51. Pam in Long Beach, NY

Not even a little bit. No Republicans for now thanks. I am still smarting from George W Bush. I want this president to have 4 years to see what happens and I want him to have the support in congress that he needs. The health care bill needs a tune up, there is no doubt about it, but the intractability of the Republican party and their unwillingness to work with Democrats, makes them no better than what we already have.

October 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  52. Chucky V

Not yet....Let's give the Health Bill a chance to work before we throw it under the GOP bus.

October 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  53. Wayne

October 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  54. Nathan Bean

Are you kidding? The health care bill isnt even fully in effect!!
    Im 17-years-old and I want the bill to stay! It helps me keep my insurance until Im 26! I am ALL for it. I see this as rich Republicans, who dont get sick much, trying to keep more of their money in the banks and out of the economy.

October 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  55. Connor D

would a promise to take away the healthcare of 400.000 children who just received it, who would otherwise not have it because of pre-existing conditions, NO, it would not. Im a moderate but what this promise has done is forced me to vote straight ticket DEMOCRATS 2010!!

October 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  56. Chelsea VanLoon

I would vote Republican if the candidate was better, but I would NOT vote Republican if they promised to waste time undooing the Health Care Plan. Sure, the reform means more taxes Jack, but more American tax money is used in other places of government that don't do nearly as much good as the Health Care Plan. Goverment waste should be promised against- not the Health Care Plan!

October 6, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  57. bud rupert

And until we do away with fee for service costs will continue to rise.
    Always has and always will.

But NO Jack. I would not vote Republican. They are a status quo operation

October 6, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  58. Steve

Jack,
    You got this one right!!! I'll vote for any Republican that will appeal this terrible law. Since when did taxing my house sale have anything to do with my health care. Is this how the Democrats plan to pay for a law that does not help most of the people. Why aren't members of Congress doing away with their cover-all policies and jumping on the Obamacare? Because it ain't worth the paper it is written on, that's why. I hope every Democrat is voted out for supporting this worthless law they put on the American people. God Bless America.
    Steve

October 6, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  59. Melissa-Yorba Linda, CA a RED City!

October 6, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  60. Stephen Connolly

The repeal of the Health Care law pledge is nothing more than election year gimmicks. With Obama in office it is just politics as usual for the party of no. What I would rather have is a way to rebuild the infrastructure of America by cutting corporate tax breaks ...but the GOP is not interested in solutions just getting power ....

October 6, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  61. Heather

I wouldn't vote for any politician that PROMISED anything. If they said I will do my best to accomplish, A, B, C, then I would consider them as a 'trustworthy' politician, and quite possibly vote for them.

October 6, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  62. Alex L

Sure, just as soon as I thank a police officer for helping a thief rob me.

October 6, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  63. Robert B.

If this healthcare bill is overturned the US will never have a reasonable healthcare system. The GOP is simply better at saying no while the Democrats behave like cowards. This country needs this bill it may not be perfect but its better than nothing.

October 6, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  64. ko in va

No I would not vote for Republicans. I believe that it is poltical dancing by Republicans. We all know how difficult it will be for them to undue this bill. Its done. Deal with it. I wish the country wold move pass this. Its very annoying. Lets move on to the next issue. This is the problem with this country and the political climate.

October 6, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  65. Sunshine

I will vote to elect out of the Federal Healthcare in Arizona. Neither party has really determined the costs of healthcare but rathetr want to insure everyone even those who don't want it. The Government has no right to force people to do anything.

Stop providing medical to illegals and anyone in this country who refuses insurance. They should pay before services are rendered. Once hospitals stop raising costs due to this problem, insurance will come down. The only thing I agree with is preventing insurance companies from denying pre-existing conditions. I can remember when my brother's wife had a baby and they hospital would not release her until he paid for the maternity fees.

Don't hand me this crap anymore that we need to help people with their medical costs. It's costing me $1200 a year more in costs for those who don't belong here.

October 6, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  66. Michael

I wouldn't vote for a Republican unless they change their platform from hypocrisy to reality. The idea that allowing for-profit health care is better than allowing everyone to take part in a public option is ridiculous. Wait until supporters of the GOP lose their jobs for an extended period, have to buy health insurance with after tax dollars and have limited coverage (or none at all) for their families, and then ask what they think.

October 6, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  67. Chris

No, it's not enough, but if Do nothing party does have it repealed, I do want people to have a public option to opt out of healthcare and then sign a statement that says that person will never be a burden on the taxpayers for any healthcare. How about that?

October 6, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  68. Edward

One minute americans want healthcare reform; then once its demonized by the other side, support shifts....Americans need to stop allowing politicians to use manipulation to accomplish their own aganda's. Leaders promising to put aside partisianship will get my vote....

Edward from Chicago,

October 6, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  69. steve

I personally believe that the republicans need to come stronger than that I am neither a republican nor democrat I just try to vote for the best person qualified for the job and who is willing to make change in the best interest of the people

October 6, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  70. Mary Scrivani

If states are going to opt out of some provisions in the healthcare bill lets make them opt out of all of it. Let them explain it to sick kids and their families.

October 6, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  71. Michelle

Would a promise to undo health care get you to vote for a Republican? YES,... DEFINATELY!
    I repeat,.. YES DEFINATELY!

October 6, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  72. John P

Of course there is discontent with the healthcare bill but much of that is from those of us who didn't think it went far enough. Of course we'll take what we got and hope for more but voting for someone because they will appeal the bill? Never!

October 6, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  73. Nancy

I wouldn't vote for a republican for any reason!! They can't get their act together on anything. Just for the record I believe we could lower the cost of health care with a public system like they have in Canada. I became sick while there one summer and their system took MARVELOUS care of me! Every Canadian I have talked to (and there are many) love their system! Let's get rid of all those "middle men" making our health care system so costly. So there!

October 6, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  74. Jerry L. Rhodes

I would vote Republican if they were to abolish Medicare. I am on Medicare and it costs me $331.00 every 3 months. I had the same coverage for $230 a year before I had to go on Medicare.

October 6, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  75. John Schaeffer

Does Obamacare cover Dental?

October 6, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  76. larry mast

Yes,I am frightened of the health care bill and vote Republican.

October 6, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  77. Marc

The only problem with the health care law, is that it doesn't have a public option. Health care costs are sky rocketing. Meanwhile republican politicians have their cosey federal health care plans. Republicans have spread lies about the health care law, because they see it as a way togain control of congress. They don't care about the country, they only care about power.

October 6, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  78. Bob Griffith Jr

Charleston, WV

I would not be influenced to vote for a repulican for repealing the healthcare bill. I think the bill is a good start that needs more work. Real reform would do away with for profit healthcare insurance. Republican further water downs anything without any cost controls other than torte reform with no help for the working class poor and even less restrictions for healthcare insurance. The only one they may keep is pre-exsting conditions and that is even not clear.

October 6, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  79. Tom Connor

I will not vote for a republican just because they say they will repeal HC. The current bill does not go far enough but it is a good start. Don't repeal, FIX IT. We have too many people without any coverage that those of us with it are paying more than our share. HC costs are out of control, soon only the rich will be able to afford it so keep what we have and improve it, don't start over.

October 6, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  80. Sara Volk

Absolutely not. I watched my mother die as a result of lack of health care. I am with President and all compassionate Americans on this one. This bill is a first step in a process that has taken far too long to implement.

Sara
    North Dakota

October 6, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  81. Joan Schonbeck

Absolutely not! The snow job these Republicans have sold to Americans is disgusting! Why shouldn't people have to have healthcare just as they have automobile insurance? Why should the rest of us be paying the higher healthcare costs they rack up by going to emergency rooms when they get sick (and yes, Jack, everyone does get sick sometime). Does anyone really believe that healthcare costs will go down without a healthcare bill? If they do, then they probably also believe that Obama is a Muslim from Kenya!

October 6, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  82. Matt, Little Rock

It's far to early to weigh in on this issue, the health care reform is going to end up being either the smartest thing that the Obama Administration has backed, or the dumbest; only time will tell, and it will be at least another five years before that becomes apparent. However, I'm an independent, and I'm likely to vote for a Republican to balance the government.

Matt,
    Little Rock, AR

October 6, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  83. Karen Whittemore

I would never vote for the Republicans ....period!!! They are not for the people but for Corporations – and helping the Health Care Insurance Providers make as much money as possible........it's ludicres!!!
    The Health Care Reform Bill helps us, the people........I've had cancer for 5 years and cannot get insurance, because it's an existing condition. Now I can because of the new health care bill.
    It will also save a trillion dollars over the next 10 years! Why do the Republicans want to stop it.....why..........because then the Health Care Providers might make a few billions less........and then in turn would give less to the Republicans for re-election! Wake-up!!!

October 6, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  84. Carey

No it would not! We need healthcare reform. I hope that the next congress will fix it for the American People and close the loop holes for the insurance companies.

The insurance companies and hospitals need reforming. Healthcare is great if you can afford it or are fortunate enough to have a job that provides health insurance.

Most Americans are one layoff away from losing healthcare coverage. We have paid our taxes paid our health insurance cost for years.
    All of the sudden you lose your job and people are calling you a low life and a free loader.

Something is wrong with this.

October 6, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  85. Dan Stadler

Yes, because it is not a reform. History tells us that it is just a band-aid on top of an already band-aided problem. We need to rework the healthcare system from scratch with a strong foundation that ties in social security, healthcare (Medicare-Medicade), healthcare economics (costs), tort reform, and illegal immigration; otherwise, there will be a greater mess to fix in the near future.

October 6, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  86. Steve Batts Edna, Kansas

Jack, you couldn't follow me into a voter booth with a gun and make me vote for these republicans , teabaggers, or anyone else while this country is strangled by the out of control insurance companies. The day the Republicans vote to outlaw for profit insurance, I might change my mind.

October 6, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  87. Ken in Tennessee

The health care system was broke to begin with and health care reform is holding it together with duct-tape...voting for a Republican is nothing more than voting to undo the duct-tape.

October 6, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  88. Ray in Knoxville

No, Jack, because they also wish to repeal social security, medicaire, the voting rights act, the civil rights amendment, the EPA, the minimum wage... you get the picture.

October 6, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  89. Dave in CT

i'm a 39yr old white guy who works for a global company. My health insurance was reduced for the 3rd year in a row last year and I'm now in that 100% out of pocket limbo between my health savings account and the huge (for me) deductable. I am a registered Republican, and my vote will go to anyone who is not a lawyer, and who has a career to return to following thier term. I'm done with career politicians and political science majors. Health care needs a solution, but I don't trust those people to fix anything but an election.

October 6, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  90. Rose

No! We need the health care reforme impromved with A pubulic Option. There is no way Repubilican will do anything with it.

October 6, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  91. Joe, Miami

For all those who want it repealed, would they also want Medicare for their over 65 year old parents also repealed. Health care coverage is being dropped by many employers and the out-of-pocket cost is completely out of site for most of us. No, I would NOT vote for anyone who wants it repealed.

October 6, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  92. kansas city

This is not a perfect bill but it should be given a chance. Republicans didn't want Medicare or Social Security. I say a big emphatic NO to the party of no. Common sense seems to have left that party. When people who have believed in witches and others who would privatize social security are running for office, it seems that stupidity is ruling the right.

October 6, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  93. Matthew

While I cannot say such a promise would persuade me to vote for that particular candidate, I would look further into that candidate's beliefs on the issue of health care and other issues. I believe that health care reform is important and necessary, but requiring Americans to purchase health insurance, especially when it would be burdensome to certain people, is less effective than other types of health care reform. If a candidate shared that type of view, they would have my attention.

October 6, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  94. Eric

Without a doubt.

Any candidated dedicated to cramming the government genie back into its bottle, and ungraciously cutting off any bloated parts that stick out after the lid goes on, will get my vote.

People, politicians can pass laws to promise "free healthcare and pet unicorns for eveyone!" but they cannot repeal the basic laws of economics.

October 6, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  95. Will A, Las Cruces, NM

Why we are allowing our government to neglect their duty to "promote the general welfare?" My wife had cancer and we had no insurance. We spent money we didn't have to treat it. Why not have a health care system like Taiwan or Japan? It apparently supports a healthier, more productive workforce and would allow people to get checkups before more costly expenses are incurred. My representative, Harry Teague, is a democrat who voted against the health care bill. Guess who I'm not voting for this year...

October 6, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  96. brad

Not just no, HELL NO! The party of NO has already proven that they have no ideas for how to handle the situation any better and the sour grapes they feel that Obama managed to undo years of insurance company lobbying is painfully obvious.

October 6, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  97. larry

No Jack I would not vote for the party of no, unless they promise to repeal the the health care bill with a public option. Health Care Bill Is Good For America. Larry (Ellenwood, GA)

October 6, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  98. Betty---Iowa

Here in Iowa, we have to buy Car Insur. Why not health insur.?
    Why should we pay for other people's hospital bills that don't have insur.?

October 6, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  99. Tony Scott

HC was a nauseating spectacle of hammering a square peg in a round hole. IRS agents administering our health care? A tax on home sales part of HC? Student loans controlled under an HC bill? This isn't about GOP or Dems – it's about whether or not you think the government needs to control every aspect of your life or do you think you're smart enough to figure it out? Should the federal government follow the constitution or take over healthcare, auto manufacturing, banks, insurance, and tell you how much salt to put on your food? Name one government agency that ever ran ANYTHING without breathtaking loss, inefficiency, and incompetence and I'll concede they need to handle HC. Forget the donkeys and elephants – this is about statism versus the freedom and prosperity afforded to a democratic republic that reads and follows the Constitution.

October 6, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  100. Carrie /Alabama

Jack , No , why would I vote for someome to repeal something that in a few years will help so many, If more would read for themselves vs believing all the buggy boo scary stuff that the party of No , No Way and futher more No Idea have but out there , they would be for Health reform. So many are too easliy led to the slaughter!

October 6, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  101. Paul

The well-intended but terribly ill-conceived health care bill exposed an elitist democrat agenda that is too far left and unaccountable to the majority will of the people. Yes, to save America a course correction is urgently needed and many a democrat will hold their nose and vote Republican.

October 6, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  102. Tony

Are you insane ? HELL NO. Republicans are a disaster. Anyone that's forgetten the destruction done to this country with a Republican president, Republican House, and Republican Senate is brain damaged.
    Conservatives have been a loud minority lately, but folks like me despise conservative right wingers more then ever. I don't know anyone around here that voted for Obama that will now vote for some loud mouthed, useless, obstructive, bigoted, idiot Republican or Tea Partier. They're a joke.

October 6, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  103. Daniel

I would vote for Pedro from the movie Napoleon Dynamite if that meant the health care bill would be repealed. However, I kind of liked Pedro, and he might be overqualified anyway.

Daniel (Cambridge, IL)

October 6, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  104. Bill Upper NYS

Jack, the Republicans have been twisting the facts and outright lying about this and other Democratic legislation to get their agenda across. I'm not blind or stupid or senile. I'm an Independent and will be one in the voting booth. That said, if a Republican has been doing a good job and not jumping to orders of the GOP long-term leaders, then he/she will get my vote. Same with the Democrats.

October 6, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  105. Mark Stanton

Two things about congress are to be feared;

1. What they do
    2. What they fail to do.

No politician should ever use the word repeal when speaking of the healthcare bill. This implies they will eliminate it completely including provisions generally regarded as good by the majority. Then, with the usual gridlock they will fail to replace it leaving us with nothing. Improve, fix or modify should be the bywords. Repeal? Wrong approach, wrong word

October 6, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  106. George F, Southgate, Michigan

Jack,
    Repeal-No
    If hell freezes over-Maybe

October 6, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  107. Mark, Oklahoma City

What do you mean "be enough"? I would vote republican without that promise anyway, but that is the ONE thing I want the republicans to UNDO that this President crammed down our throats without our permission. This Socialized Medicine Monster needs to be put out of its misery.

October 6, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  108. George

Please be serious,the GOP using the healthcare reform bill and the repealing of it as the meat of their platform is just silly. So this is their big promis to get the American people to vote for them. The same party that crashed the economy,started two wars,bailed out Wall St. and never ever even gave healthcare a thought,let alone the people who cant afford it. Jack I'm laughing my ass off. I hope this is all they have come election time and I hope they bring along Palin again for the laughs factor.
    My answer is no.
    George
    Chester,Ct.

October 6, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  109. Jammer

No ... do people even know what they want repealed? Just because it doesn't help every American doesn't mean that it doesn't help some .. usually the most needy. I have a friend who suddenly took ill after 30 years of working hard and paying his premiums. Because he had recently switched jobs, he lost his health insurance because he could no longer work. Now he is severely ill and uninsured ... we need MORE fixes to the health care system, not to get rid of the few this bill granted.

October 6, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  110. ann

Absolutly!!!!!!!!!!! While there might be some good in the bill, there's also bad which negates the good. The problem is we don't know just how bad it is yet. We were told those of us with insurance would not see our plans effected. Beginning this past Jan. my rates went up $60.00 a month. In July, they went up another 30.00 plus the deductible, co payment, and out-of-pocket went up!! Plus, I make 24,000 a year and my taxes have already gone up 30.00 a month. So much for promises. Like millions of others I trusted Obama and voted for him. I'm just sick about it. I apologize to everyone for voting for him. I'm now an independent and will remain so for the rest of my life. I've written the Pres. asking him why my insurance and taxes went up–but surprise, surprise–no answer.

October 6, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  111. Jacqueline Mongeot

NO, NO, NO! On the contrary...unless Republicans reform the health care law to adopt a formula with a Public Option that includes coverage for all Americans who can choose their own provider, who will not be denied care because of pre-existing confition, who will protect their children pursueing education beyond high School, with a drug plan and the possibility to buy a supplemental insurance to cover what the national plan does not provide.
    Jacqueline, San Diego CA

October 6, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  112. kurt rodney

Heck no, the Dems finally did something to help the 30 million plus uninsured after republicans did nothing during their years in control of congress

October 6, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  113. Thomas

Jack,
    "H" NO! Did I read you correctly? 53% like the healthcare bill. 47% say they would be for repeal and replace. lol They've had 2 1/2 decades and refused to help on this one. Like a spoiled child my way or no way. We wanted public opinion, but we didn't get it this time. (some is better than none). I've voted republican in the past, I,m ashamed to say. My party is back! Go Democrats! The republican party and the polling media are in for a big surprise com NOVEMBER!

October 6, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  114. Lovely Lady

I concur with the rest of my fellow citizens. I made a huge mistake and voted for Bush and I'm a Democrat. He had his chance and now its a new time. No, I would not vote for a Republican so that we can go more in debt and make the wrong choices for this country again!!! I Totally Agree that Health Care is a good law.

October 6, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  115. Steve Kemp from Sacramento, Ca.

(I'd never EVER vote for a Republican, BTW)

The Republicans damaged the final product, then they complain about it and want to repeal it? Gee, how...ummm, Republican of them.

This comparitively bad bill is better than no bill. It needs to be fixed!
    And we need more Democrats (or Repulicans with a true moral compass) in Congress to do that!

And parts of "Obamacare" have only just come to fruition..
    Like not denying kids with pre-existing conditions.

Ya wanna toss that, and them, in the garbage too?

October 6, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  116. Stan

I will not vote for any Republican. Anyone making less than 30K a year should not vote Republican. Every decision they make is based on making the rich richer!!

October 6, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  117. BG

Nothing the Republican could ever say, that would make me vote for them. Everybody needs health care.

October 6, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  118. Dee in New Paris Ohio

We NEED health care reform. Those who want to repeal the health care reform are not trying to do good for the country. They are part of the problem, not the solution.

October 6, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  119. GLENDA

I would not vote for Repulican that wanted to repeal the Health Bill. What is wrong with the people in the United State. We have it better then any Nation in the world. The people is like little kids, if you don't get what you want tear everything down. The American people needs to grow up and let the President do his jobs. He can't fix everying in 21 months in office.

October 6, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  120. Stephanie

Would you vote for someone who promised to repeal your health care, Jack?

October 6, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  121. J Al

Absolutely not! Why would one buy in to all the mis-information they are spreading whether I eas for or agin it!

October 6, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  122. Cy Gardner

A check for a million dollars wouldn't get me to vote Republican. I still have my immortal soul to worry about. cy – arlington, va

October 6, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  123. Dominic, Hattiesburg, MS

What's truly sad is the childlike memory of our electorate. Placing this initiative on the ballot is just a tactic to draw out conservative votes like issuses such as gay marriage has in the past. It took alot of political courage to address the issue of healthcare, and the idea that Republicans will benefit from a false promise of repealing it is proof positive that this country deserves whatever it gets when it votes to flip allegiance every 4-6 years.

October 6, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  124. Amy Bird

I wouldn't vote for a Republican if J.C. were running. They want to turn health care back to the insurance companies and the drug companies. They want to deregulate the banks so they can continue to prey on us. They probably want to get us into more wars, because big contracting companies make money on warsl. The economy will improve in 2011 no matter what, and if the Republicans are in, they will claim credit.

Amy in Covington, GA

October 6, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  125. Bill

The GOP has twisted the issue way out of proportion. They want to do away with a law who's major provisions hasn't even gone into effect yet. That's like shooting a cow after it gives one bucket of milk.

October 6, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  126. Adrian in New Jersey

It would be enough to get me to vote for AGAINST the Republicans. Health care is a human right, not a privilege for those who can afford the obscenely expensive insurance plans. The health care reform bill that was passed may not be perfect but it's the first step in the right direction. The Republicans don't care because they have excellent health care themselves–which is paid, by the way, by tax payers.

October 6, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  127. dennis in pa.

jack,
    i am voting republican because obama is incompetent, not because of this bill that got past. yes i am unhappy with the bill/law, however my reason is because almost 2 years in most americans are worse off and desperate for a change. some how some one needs to stop these clowns!there is a reason its called congress and not progress!

October 6, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  128. Erie Jesse

I don’t know Jack it is easy to say you’re against health care because of its cost (which is pretty high), but can you honestly not feel bad when an insurance company drops someone because of an illness? Though I personally believe we should still have privatization in it… maybe just a little govt. regulation to keep corruption away. Vote for a Republican to repel… maybe not, reform… you got my attention.

October 6, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  129. Helen Bradway

I've read most of the comments and most want to keep the Health Care Bill in place - so please - VOTE!!

October 6, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  130. ann

If we want what's best for our country, the first thing we need to do is demand TERM LIMITS for all political positions at all levels of government. Both parties will say and do anything it takes to win their election.

October 6, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  131. Karen Buggs

Jack, I live in a traditionally republican district. The hills here are
    literally rolling with democratic candidates campaign signs.

That should answer your question.

October 6, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  132. Karl from SF, CA

No, but I’ll vote for any Democrat that will promise to undo the law and rewrite it the way it should have been done in the first place, with an immediate public option and ignoring the Republicans completely. I long for the day when any Democrat will stand up and call out the Republicans for the pathetic liars that they are. It’s obvious that 47% of my fellow voters haven’t read or understand the health care bill. They just listen to the Republican BS mill and follow blindly.

October 6, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  133. tom

Why would that promise be any different than any other promise they won't do? No

October 6, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  134. Nancy, Tennessee

Health care reform sounded like a great idea until Congress decided not to have a public option and watered down the rest of the bill. The Republicans who are campaigning that they will get this terrible bill repealed may gain some votes. Since the Republicans are the ones who wanted the public option removed, they are not the ones to elect and get this changed to a viable health care bill.

October 6, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  135. markiejoe

Anything that mandates universal healthcare for all is a good thing. I'm tired of paying for the health care of the freeloaders who choose not to buy insurance but then want health care services when they get a disease or are in an accident.

Either provide universal single-payer health insurance for all citizens, or mandate that everybody purchase their own health insurance and giving subsidies to help the poor.

October 6, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  136. Cy Gardner

Every country in the civilized world makes health care available to all citizens – except US. We took one half step forward to join the civilized world, why take two steps backward? Anyone who answers yes to your question is ignorant and uninformed. cy arlington,va

October 6, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  137. paul westminster

I voted Republican as far back as Ford and including Reagan, the first Bush twice, and the second Bush the first time. After watching the party become a mixture of fair and balanced minibaughs without a single elected Republican do anything but cow down to the fringe I have decided that I would never vote Republican again. Not for health care or dog catcher or anything in between.

October 6, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  138. Zach

No, But Satan running on a Fairtax ASAP platform would get my vote!

October 6, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  139. Ryan

No. I will not vote republican. or democrat. Neither party will be able to do the kinds of things needed to really improve the country. I believe the health care bill was necessary but should not have had so much extra stuff. Why did it have to change the way my federal student loans were handled (to name one specific thing added that should not have been)?

Ryan
    College student
    Wisconsin

October 6, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  140. James Cokely

Would the poor fellow in Tennessee vote for the volunteer firefighters
    who stood and watched as his house burned to the ground?

Same principle, Jack.

October 6, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  141. Jean-Texas

Jack, not no but HELL NO.

October 6, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  142. Linda

Jack I will vote for a republican when they repeal their health care cover so that we won't have to pay for their covergae. I can't believe these people!!!

October 6, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  143. Larry from Birmingham, AL

No way! To the contrary, the consistently negative behavior of the Republican Party has reinforced this political independent's vote for President Obama in the last general election. How naiive do the Republican hypocrites think we are? They get us in financial dire straits and then want us to believe that they are the solution to such problems? The health care legislation takes us into a relatively respectable position as a nation as compared to other countries around the world. We need to broaden and strengthen it, not repeal or dilute it. I'm tired of hearing that the Republicans are going to bury the Democrats this fall and that Independents like I am are going to support Republican candidates in droves. Not this one! And, I seriously doubt that I'm alone in my disgust for both Republicans and a press corps all too willing to jump to conclusions about this election.

October 6, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  144. Paulette in Dallas,PA

Yes! This bill was hastily put together to show the public that Obama was keeping his promises. It was not well thought out and needs to be repealed. It caused more problems for Obama rather than be his saving grace. Haste makes waste!

October 6, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
  145. Joann Gilbert-Croteau

Jack,
    No way will I vote republican so they can can finish downgrading the middleclass to become the poorest of this nation. All they want is to take care of the rich. If they suceed stripping the new healthcare benefits, medicare and social security, just what will happen to families and every senior that depends on the benefits they paid for all their lives. Senior citizens had better turn out to ouster every republican whose ideas are to leave seniors to devastating circumstances. The party of no will bring this country to its knees. As a senior, things are getting real scarey.

October 6, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  146. Ken Meuse

Jack,
    Vote Republican? Hell No!! This country needs healthcare and the republicans have nothing to offer except a lot of B.S. as usual.

October 6, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  147. Tillie / Texas

No...The Republicans have no clue what we need.

October 6, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  148. Mark Stanton, San Diego

EMTALA, ever heard of it? This is the government mandate already in place requiring emergency rooms to treat first regardless of financial consideration. If the pending individual mandate requiring the purchase of health insurance is declared unconstitutional the same argument could be made by the hospital emergency rooms relieving them of this existing government mandate. How many would remain uninsured if they knew the emergency rooms would turn them away? Would the American public endure the spectacle of sick and dying on the street?

October 6, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  149. Hans Lewis

Hell no would be my operative answer, Jack.

October 6, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  150. Anne Marie, Shamokin, PA

Yes, while I think health care needs to be reformed, Obamacare is not the answer. It's time that we all understand that we're not "entitled" to anything in this country except for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. If I can't afford health insurance, then so be it. I don't expect anyone else to pick up the tab for me. There will always be the "haves" and the "have nots". That's America, and it's fine by me.

October 6, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  151. Doug

If the republicans had made reasonable arguments against the plan when they had the chance, instead of using scare tactics, I would take their pledge to repeal it more seriously. It's just more partisan rhetoric.

October 6, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  152. Linda Pollack Mercer, MD

Nope. In fact, after seeing what they did while in power and their buckling to extremisms, nothing would make me vote Republican.

October 6, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  153. Jerry , L.os Angeles

Never how could you ever think that the solution is the Republican Party which has no Ideas and and was happy to watch the predator's of the healthcare industry kill people. This may not be perfect law but its at least better than any idea the repulican's have.

October 6, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  154. Sean from Maine

The health care bill that this administration passed is nothing more than another give away to corporate interest. We are now Required by law to buy a product that some large corporation is selling. At least with car insurance you can choose not to drive. I am all for health care reform, but do it right. We pay more than the rest of the world and get less. I would love the opportunity to vote for any politician that would do the morally correct thing instead of what big moneyed interest tell them to do. Would that be a Republican? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.....

October 6, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  155. Jerry

Hello Jack,
    Unfortunately there is no place in the republican party for me or my partner of 18 years. I will never again vote for a party that legislates against me and my partner and our community. I made that mistake before with Ronald Regan and saw how he turned his back us resulting in the setback of research that could have saved countless lives. If they will get rid of the radical faction that dictates their policy perhaps I would consider it.

October 6, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  156. Kevin - Clinton, Maryland

Republicans don't have to promise anything other than to end the Democrat majorities in Congress. The Democrats have overreached believing they had a mandate from American voters. But that wasn't a mandate, it was a mistake. A Democrat President with a Democrat controlled Congress is a one-party rule not much different than in China, Iran or Cuba. I won't be voting for Republicans this year, but I hope for the sake of the country other people do.

October 6, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  157. lynnej in nc

I wouldn't vote Republican even if they had the cure for what ails me in their hands. Besides, they'd want payment for it. It is all about the money with them.

These guys, are more the professional liars than the Dems. They have people believing in 'death panels' and rationing of care which is all nonsense.

Newsflash, we've already been getting rationed care for years because the price of care is too expensive. No one other than them and their well-to-do buds have the money to go the doctor regular. We poor just aren't good enough for healthcare to them.

October 6, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  158. Ted

If Obama care is so great,why are so many people staying away from it ( like congress) I do not like the idea of someone forceing something on me that they will not take themselves. Most of your readers did not read the bill and do not know about all the taxes comming down the road,and the log jams at hospital emergincy rooms comming. I say get rid of it,if it is NOT good enough for congress that it must stink.

October 6, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  159. Jack Dermody

Undoing healthcare? How on earth anyone would vote for a Republican for destroying this imporant change is unfathomable. No question about it. Americans today do not play well in the sandbox. They'll throw their sick relatives under the bus to make a buck.

October 6, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  160. Stewart, Madison

Jack, if mama drove you in the ditch, and papa pulled you out of the
    ditch, would you give mama the keys again?

(not necessarily referring to Bush or President Obama).

October 6, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  161. Deb Ohio

Well, Jack, judging by these comments, I would say the Republicans are in big trouble. Even their corporate polls can't sway most of us. And the answer, Hell no!

October 6, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
  162. Jim Loscalzo

ABSOLUTELY NOT! I am a govt. employee (letter carrier) who has seen my premiums rise, a $600.deductible, less coverage, and I'm one of the lucky ones; a govt. run healthcare system with a public option is no more a gov't. takeover of healthcare than public transportation is a takeover of getting from one place to another. People will have a less expensive choice, PERIOD! Americans don't seem to understand how much is at stake, and once again, republicans leaders are counting on the ignorance of the masses.

October 6, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  163. Thomas

Jack, where do these polls get taken? If the media stop advertising for the republicans through these so call polls it would be a landslide for the Dem's. As it is we'll just settle for a dishing out a good old butt kicking. I hope the republicans believe these POLLS. Just like before.lol God willing. Yes, democrats believe in God to, and that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior.

October 6, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  164. jeff

of coarse not. i am middle class,Gop has no idea what they want to do

October 6, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  165. LEW

I definately think there needs to be some sort of health care reform one day, but the government has not proven itself worthy. Social Security is going bankrupt, Medicare and Medicaid ruinly deny treatment to life saving procedures while approving unncessary medications. Until you prove to me that you are going to be responsible with my money and my health care, no I don't want a health care bill. I would vote for a republican that would overturn this bill.

October 6, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  166. Jack

I'd already like it to be repealed. As for those who say repulicans don't care for people. As a small business owner I have retirement plan with best matching offered & pay 100% healthcare for employees & family. Government doesn't know best. Look how regulators handled the egg recall.

October 6, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
  167. dbc

Absolutely. But there is so much more to "thank" Democrats for, that healthcare is really but one reason. In less than a month, America will show up at the polls to deliver a message like never before. And there will be much to reflect on as I punch out my ballots chad. Deficit spending that has accrued such dimensions that my kids are relegated to pay for the sins of this Congress for decades to come. How dare you hand that debt to my children to pay for your lack of fiscal responsibility. In a country where 10 percent of citizens are jobless after spending a trillion dollars to supposedly fix it, Democrats don't need to worry about healthcare. Imagine. Spending more in less than 2 years than spent under the entire Bush administration as they prosecuted two wars. Won't be any hanging chads on my ballot. You can bet on it. Welcome to the unemployment lines.

October 6, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  168. Leslie Cappiello

Absolutely not! Health care is something we all need in America. The rich should not be the only ones that have access to health care.

October 6, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  169. Marjorie Fitzpatrick

On the contrary, Jack! I'm a senior citizen happily enjoying the fruits of Medicare and Social Security. I'm very glad that so many new fellow citizens will now be able to get medical coverage, especially children (and eventually everyone) with pre-existing medical conditions. I hate the growing tendency I see in this country that suggests "I got mine, so I don't care if you get yours."

Marge from Carlisle, Pennshylvania

October 6, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  170. L L LeSane

With all the ugliness and disrepect shown the President of this country,
    there is nothing the Republicans and their supporters can do to make me vote for them. A Health Reform is needed in this country, with the majority of the people cut off from Medical care and the high cost of health care which the Health industry has no intention of dropping. By
    the way where was this hoopla when doctors raised their office visit costs by tripling the charge?

Lucy in Virginia

October 6, 2010 at 5:49 pm |
  171. Edith

No, Jack. We Democrats are going to vote like hell to prevent that
    from coming to past.

October 6, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  172. dennis in minneapolis minnesota

You know what is really, really scary? A couple of incredibly rich, incredibly wrong individuals are going to convince a very large group of people to vote a certain way. If it happens that we don't start electing the right people, we are not going to make it. Americans don't get it because the bad things have never happened HERE. We think we're untouchable and a staggering debt is a mild annoyance, insurance companies with no real value are the American dream of quick wealth. We have people right now campaigning on the premise to STOP helping people who are SICK. Nevermind the right or wrongness of it for just a second. Focus on the mentality. The mentality that you have to be the one to stand up and tell America "we need to stop spending money saving lives". The same lives who pay the taxes bailing your company out of bankruptcy. That is a scary thing to witness. Scarier still are the people who follow.

October 6, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  173. Arlene, Illinois

Did you just hear that loud noise coming from underground,
    thats my Dad turning over in his grave if I ever think of voting
    Republican!

October 6, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  174. Julia Baten

Anyone who vote for Republicans to undue the health care reform will be voting against their own rights. Today they may enjoy good health. What about tomorrow? What about your family, your children? Do you want to go back to- getting kicked out of your insurance because you had prostate or breast cancer? do you want your children to go to college and don't have health insurance? do you want hospitals to close because they don't have people who are insured? Do you want people dying and stealing your money to pay for their health care bills? What is wrong with people? If the GOPS had helped the President and Dems we would have a much better health care law, but this is a beginning. We have to vote Dems and asked them to make the law even better. Republicans will never help, they get too much money from Insurance Companies-1 million a day???

October 6, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  175. AnneC

October 6, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  176. barry

Not a chance.............Am I the only one that remembers what the last Republican administration did to the economy and the country? Where did the Clinton surplus go? G W gave the rich tax breaks, I thought they were supposed to create jobs. Then why did we lose 6 million jobs during the waning years of his administration? The trigger to this econimical nightmare was $4.00 a gallon gas prices. Think about it from the majority's standpoint...we had to curb our buying to make ends meet. What effect did 200 million people curbing their spending do to this economy? I hope the people really think about this when they go to the polls next month. By no means is this a free ride email for the Dems, thay have fault in this as well.

October 6, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  177. Ron San Antonio

NO! Not ever!

October 6, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  178. Martin in Shoreline, WA

No. The Republican pledge to America is about as sincere as their pledge of allegiance to this nation. They know perfectly well that Obama will veto any attempt to repeal his healthcare "reform." They are just busy lying to the American people again.

October 6, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  179. JeremyNAbq

Considering the way their party has been behaving for the past two years, I may never vote for a Republican again.

October 6, 2010 at 5:57 pm |
  180. Mark A

Absolutely. I'm a job creator (small business person). Not big, but 5 more people (ready to hire #6) has a very healthy income, health insurance, and retirement savings because of my company. I have never voted in my life, primarily because the process and politicians are so repugnant. But we have to vote "NO" against the horrible programs that Obama has shoved down our throats (health care, stimulus, etc.). These will surely bankrupt our country and render worthless all American's retirement savings (obama-flation is inevitable). I will vote straight up and down the ticket just to say "NO" to all things Obama.

October 6, 2010 at 5:59 pm |
  181. Casual Observer

Just like buying a car one needs to look under the hood and see that is there – maybe those who voted for ObamaCare should have taken the time to read what they voted on. The WH made a lot of promises regarding health care reform and failed on every one of them. No one understands it and they did not listen to what the taxpayers wanted.
    They are dozens of taxes hidden in the fine print – it is going to kill small businesses.
    reform is needed and it needs to be reform that is not going to bankrupt the country and actually provide access to quality health care to all Americans – make that all legal US citizens

October 6, 2010 at 5:59 pm |