October 4th, 2010

Hillary Clinton vs. Pres. Obama in 2012?

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

The first match was good… the rematch could be even better.

Imagine that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton decides to challenge President Obama for the Democratic nomination in 2012.

Gallup is out with an interesting poll looking at that very hypothetical match up. 37 percent of Democrats say they would back Clinton - while 52 percent say they would support President Obama.

The poll shows President Obama does better with college graduates and liberals, while Clinton has a strong showing among less well-educated Democrats. She also scores higher than the president among conservatives and does slightly better among women than men.

History shows presidents with relatively low job approval ratings headed into re-election are more vulnerable to challenges from within their own party. It's what happened when Ronald Reagan challenged Gerald Ford - and when Ted Kennedy and Jerry Brown challenged Jimmy Carter.

Right now, President Obama's approval rating is in the mid-40s, but there's still two years to go before the election. And two years in politics is a long time. Depending on the economy and the president's policies... it's possible his approval rating could sink further.

As for Clinton, it's not likely she would challenge the president. She's on the record saying she's "absolutely not interested" in running again for president... although she has suggested that she doesn't envision serving as Secretary of State in a second Obama term.

Here’s my question to you: If Hillary Clinton challenges Pres. Obama for the Democratic nomination in 2012, whom would you support?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Brian in Baton Rouge, Louisiana writes:
I'd support Hillary. She is a fighter, which is why the Republicans hated her and called her names. Obama is too weak and unwilling to fight for what he believes in, although the man can give a good speech. Just before he gives the Republicans everything they ask for.

Sandi in Arizona writes:
That's a tough call for an extreme Hillary backer who would love to see her become the first female president of the United States. However, I think President Obama deserves a second term so I'd have to support him. This is truly a moot point however. Hillary will not run against him in 2012.

Paul writes:
To be honest, whoever shaped up better against the competition. And in this hyper-partisan, anti-incumbent fever that's infected the nation, I'd say Hillary. She's poised, smart and hasn't done anything to tick off the electorate.

Janice in Fayetteville, Arkansas writes:
I doubt that Hillary Clinton will challenge the president. However, I would enjoy a debate between Clinton and Sarah Palin if they are the nominees. Clinton would show Palin no mercy!

Chris writes:
The answer is (C): the Republican who is running against one of them.

Sarah in Denver writes:
I'm disappointed enough with Obama to consider Clinton. I've already started looking around, and so far I don't see a moderate Republican I like.

Marcia writes:
In 2008, I was torn but voted for Obama; in 2012, Clinton absolutely. She's shown her mettle beyond a doubt and Bill's behaved.

1. Tom in Desoto, Tx

At this point I would say Hillary's been off the map too long as far as 2012 is concerned. What seems to make more sense is to have Hillary replace Biden in 2012. This way she'd raise her public profile. She's politically finished if she doesn't run in 2016.

October 4, 2010 at 1:48 pm |
  2. Joanne

I"d prefer Hillary, however after supporting her in her campaign for President...I'd now support Chris Christie in 2012. He's a LEADER with temendous backbone. Something we have not had since Pres Eisenhauer (although Reagan was close).
    Joanne
    Mn

October 4, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
  3. Jackson Stanton

Neither....they both are for "spending, spending, and spending" until we are a third world country.
    Reid must go as well.
    Jackson S
    Nevada

October 4, 2010 at 1:50 pm |
  4. John from Alabama

Jack: I like Hillary Clinton an believe would be a good president, but I will support and vote for President Obama. They are both smart and experienced.

October 4, 2010 at 1:53 pm |
  5. Chris Harding

Wow! That is a great question!

Does experience as "President" outweigh Senatorial experience is the implied premise.

I truly respect Secretary of State Clinton and her past accomplishments in the Senate. Since I am an independent, I still don't know who I would vote for but I can say I would probably vote for President Barack Obama. Sadly, a President's second term is usually horrific because "leaders" in both parties turn their back. Therefore, a vote for Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, would probably be a wiser choice if we want to "accomplish" something in US Congress during a second democratic term.

After second thought, I may vote for Secretary of State!

October 4, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
  6. Hugo Kijne, Hoboken NJ

Strange question, there are absolutely no signs that Hillary has any intention of running and repeat the mistake Ted Kennedy made when Jimmy Carter was President. Just like I would have voted for Carter then I would vote for Obama now.

October 4, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
  7. Tom (Atlanta)

I think she's been "rid hard and put away wet" as Secretary of State and not have much race left in her, but if that were my only choice? Hillary.

October 4, 2010 at 2:00 pm |
  8. steve in fl

First of all, it will never happen. Second of all, even if did, it's 2 years away. Got any serious questions?

October 4, 2010 at 2:01 pm |
  9. Janne from NC

I’ve never voted for a democrat in my life but I can guarantee you I would vote for Hillary ten times before I let Obama get elected again.

October 4, 2010 at 2:05 pm |
  10. Greg Who? Mechanicsburg, PA

For the sake of keeping a Democrat in the Whitehouse, I'd throw my support behind Hillary. I believe in what Obama is trying to do and feel that he is a good man who loves his country, but unless things changes drastically before 2012, I don't think he stands a ghost of a chance of being a two term president. Hillary would get no more support from Republicans than Obama, but they sure would look a heck of a lot more like the scoundrels they are picking on a lady. How could they want to "Take their country back," from somebody's mother?

October 4, 2010 at 2:07 pm |
  11. Rick McDaniel

Neither.

There will be zero votes for Dems, in the next 2 elections. Period. Have to clean house, and get some better candidates, first.

October 4, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
  12. David Alexandria VA

Mitt Romney. But, I digress. Given the choice, I would support Clinton. She has proven herself to be more of a leader than Obama and is likely the only hope the Dems have of holding on to the white House beyond 2012.

October 4, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
  13. Eugene Myers Flat, CA

Jack, I'd take Hillary in a heartbeat and I never thought I'd say that two years ago. Obama and Clinton are both cut from the cloth of progressive liberalism and social democracy but at least she's not wacked.

October 4, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
  14. Ramon Castillo

Hillary. Obama is to the 08 primaries what Bush was to the 00 election. Hillary won the popular vote. Voters in Florida and Michigan were disenfranchised. As far as I'm concerned, we should be saying President Clinton and not President Obama.

October 4, 2010 at 2:14 pm |
  15. Jim Mazenis

If that should happen, I'll just have to get out my old trusty Kennedy half dollar and flip it.

October 4, 2010 at 2:14 pm |
  16. Harold

Toronto
    I would vote for either one-if I wasn't a Canadian! President Obama has shown incredible class in maintaining his composure in the face of the childish Republican/Tea party "Just say no" campaign. Hilary Clinton has the experience necessary, and if it's time to break through the "glass ceiling" that would be cool too.

October 4, 2010 at 2:16 pm |
  17. Richard35

Hillary has been a real team player in the Obama Administration. I would not be surprised if Hillary and Biden switch jobs and Hillary become the Vice-President and Biden become the Secretary of State.

October 4, 2010 at 2:17 pm |
  18. Tom, Avon, Me, The Heart of Democracy

Hillary like the president is very intelligent, gutsy, and dedicated to public service. The only thing she clearly has over the president is she is much better looking.

Maybe Hillary also could have prevented the depression, turned record job losses into millions of jobs saved or gained, salvaged our auto industry, reined in Wall Street and the banks, but we know from history that no one from Teddy Roosevelt to Bush, including Hillary Clinton, was able to bring about Health Care reform. No one but Barach. Common wisdom has always been, "Stick with a winner." My vote is Obama.

October 4, 2010 at 2:18 pm |
  19. David Gerstenfeld

Clinton !!!!!!!!!!!!! I also support & respect the President (for two more years only).
    David, Las Vegas

October 4, 2010 at 2:30 pm |
  20. TSO-Wenatchee, WA

Actually, I'd support both of them! They should run together as a one-two team...Hillary as the expert on foreign issues, and Barack on the local front. But if the Dems don't get out and let their voices be heard, we may be faced with witches and Bible thumpers.

October 4, 2010 at 2:37 pm |
  21. AB

Jack, I would support Barack Obama for President in 2012. Obama has a record of accomplishments so far. Hillary Clinton has no such record in her short political career. As first lady, Hillary Clinton was put in charge of coordinating the development of a healthcare reform program promulgated by her husband, former President Bill Clinton. She failed that task and the program failed. Bill Clinton was largely responsible for the failure since he did not sell the program to the American people. However, Hillary Clinton failed to craft a health reform program that the American public can understand. President Barack Obama crafted and sold a program that most of the American public understands and supports regardless of what the media says to the contrary. He also reformed the financial industry. Barack Obama deserves another term as president.

October 4, 2010 at 2:42 pm |
  22. Simon, FL

That's not an if, but almost a sure thing. I think with the deceasing popularity of Obama and his obvious lack of leadership, it's going to be Hillary for sure.

October 4, 2010 at 2:44 pm |
  23. Josh Jacobs

I would throw my full support behind Hillary Clinton. Not only could she accomplish more with a split Congress, but she has the conviction to take things further for job creation and civil rights issues. She is a proven leader that can work on a first name basis with other world leaders, the military and both sides of the aisle. She is an asset to our great country. I hope she runs again in 2012!

Rancho Cordova, California

October 4, 2010 at 2:44 pm |
  24. Phil, Jersey

Of course Obama!! He has been flawless and accomplished most of the big democrat agenda. Just imagine, If Obama is being portrayed as far Left, Hillary is Left of him–remember what she wanted for Health Care? I would support her in 2016 but not when there is currently a better leader in Obama right now.

October 4, 2010 at 2:48 pm |
  25. Denny from Tacoma

I would still support Obama. If Hiliary does run and get elected, she won't make any significant difference. This is because big business controls the government; big business is primarily Republican and the congressional Democrats are also in the lobbyists' pockets. With such a legislative combination, any President with reforms in mind will remain neutered.

October 4, 2010 at 2:53 pm |
  26. Lori - PA

Jack,

If I were still a Democrat, I would support Hillary Clinton. Anyone but Obama. And Palin.

October 4, 2010 at 2:54 pm |
  27. Steven

I would support Hillary Clinton. Barack Obama has not lived up to the change that he promised.

October 4, 2010 at 2:55 pm |
  28. pat in michigan

Oh the same as last time Hillary.

October 4, 2010 at 3:00 pm |
  29. Angie

I will continue to support Obama.

Not because I do not like Hillary. But Because I do believe that Obama has done more in this short time than any other president, especially more than any Republican ever did.

Also I do like Hillary. If she runs after Obama, I will support her.

Unlike Sharah Palin who never finishes what she starts, unlike Sarah Palin, and Angel, and Christine O Donnell, and unlike all conservative Republicans who pretend to be independent but are not, and who all make insulting insane bizarre threats that could insight others to harm or kill members of the Democratic Senate, Democratic Congress, and even our Democratic Administration, then DENY DENY DENY, Hillary would be a better choice than any of them after Obama!

But the really frustrating and insulting to our intelligence is just how the FBI has not filed NOT ONE charge against any of them, the so called Tea Party who are really conservative Republicans. If they were Democrats saying and insighting the same things, the FBI would have been quick to arrest and prosecute. I have not forgotten. But you did. Shame on you.

October 4, 2010 at 3:00 pm |
  30. Kevin in CA

Obama. We've already had the Clinton's in office for 8 years.

October 4, 2010 at 3:03 pm |
  31. John

Clinton. Nothing against Obama, but with our current political situation, we need someone with more force, popularity, and political skill. Let Obama come back when and if things calm down and the two parties are willing to work
    Wheeling, WV

October 4, 2010 at 3:04 pm |
  32. Don (NH)

It wouldn't happen, but for sure I would support Hillary.

October 4, 2010 at 3:07 pm |
  33. Curt (Murden) Avon, Indiana

Jack,

Support Hillary? You betcha.....

Hillary is smart, tough and hard working. She has served the country well, without complaining, for the past two years. She will make a great president.

October 4, 2010 at 3:11 pm |
  34. Dee in New Paris Ohio

Well, I voted for the President last time out and would probably do the same in the 2012 elections. Unlike many people, I am intelligent enough to know that he has done a good job, given the fact that the Republicans (and even some Democrats) have tried to block his every step.

I'm not sure Secretary Clinton would fare any better. If there is one thing that many people would hate more than having a black man in charge, it would be having a WOMAN in charge!

October 4, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
  35. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

This American would love to see Mrs. Clinton get the nomination and then have Mrs. Palin get the Republican nomination. The debates would be much more fun to watch and then Hillary would be a shoe in. Yes, I'd like to see Hillary challenge the President.

October 4, 2010 at 3:15 pm |
  36. bud rupert

It dosn't matter Jack. I'm now convinced, that the White House and the Presidents so called real power is so overstated it's not funny. Without approval from the House and Senate the President is dead in the water to use a nautical phrase.
    Just look at the mark up sessions (like the health care bill) and you'll see who really runs the country. It's big business, special interest and the charletans that represent them.
    No Jack. Congress has the real juice, not the President

October 4, 2010 at 3:16 pm |
  37. Jerry Jacksonville, Fl.

Obama, she had her chance and she blew it, he is the Democratic nominee for President. As much as I like Hillary I would have to support President Obama

October 4, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
  38. Ellen Drake

Neither. I would have voted for Hillary over McCain in the last election; I ended up voting for the Libertarian candidate. I never believed Obama's promises from day one, but I did suspend disbelief after he was elected and had high hopes that he'd come through–sadly, he didn't. I do like to see different parties in control of the different branches of government, however, and 2012 is a long way away; I could change my mind. :)

E!

October 4, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
  39. Loren

Neither, they both support policies that have been destructive to job maintenance and creation in the United States. If I were tied to railroad tracks and had to choose, I'd go wih Hillary for the simple reason is that she is not an idealogue and could work with the Republicans having learned her lesson from President Clinton's first term. President Obama seems not to care about either working with anyone who doesn't share his agenda or the working people of this country (employer provided health care is meaningless if there are no jobs).

October 4, 2010 at 3:25 pm |
  40. Sylvia from California

As I had done before, I will support Hillary.... And may I remind all those who voted for Obama..... "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"......

October 4, 2010 at 3:25 pm |
  41. Adam Simi Valley, CA

An unnamed 3rd candidate, vital signs are not a prerequisite.

October 4, 2010 at 3:25 pm |
  42. Missy M

I'm disappointed that the democrats did not get behind and support Hillary in 2008. Party insiders chose to throw their influence behind Barack Obama and we ended up with a highly partisan, divisive president who can't even rally his own party behind the simple issue of repealing/retaining the bush tax cuts. The vice president we ended up with is far more embarrassing than Sarah Palin would have been. In hindsight, it would have been so much better if dems had supported Hillary, with Obama as a vice presidential candidate. They would have been guaranteed a two terms and after, Obama could have run for president as an experienced Washington insider .... the democrats could have had the White House for 16 years .... instead, they'll probably have only 4.

October 4, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
  43. Mark

If there is another major terrorist attack on the U.S. and the economy does not improve I can see that happening. Why is it that no President will just bow out gracefully after one term, when that first term has obviously been a disaster? A la Jimmy Carter!

October 4, 2010 at 3:32 pm |
  44. Sandi in Arizona

That's a tough call for an extreme Hillary backer who would love to see her become the first female President of the United States. However, I think President Obama deserves a second term so I'd have to support him. This is truly a moot point however, Hillary will not run against him in 2012.

October 4, 2010 at 3:35 pm |
  45. Overby from Melbourne

Let's see....Hillary was a governor's wife for a bunch of years, then she was a president's wife for a bunch of years, then became a carpetbagging junior senator because her husband opened an office in New York, lies about being shot at when she gets off of planes, she's never run a business or any kind of enterprise and has no visible qualities or skills to be our president. So, yeah, I'd support her in a New York minute seeing she has so many more attributes and experience than Obama.

October 4, 2010 at 3:35 pm |
  46. Thomas

Obama. Why break up the party? So the republicans can win? America doesn't need another republican president until "she" gets back to being the superpower she was before Bush.

Thomas
    Chicago

October 4, 2010 at 3:43 pm |
  47. Joe CE

I would support Hillary but it won't happen.

October 4, 2010 at 3:51 pm |
  48. Bizz Quarryville Pennsylvania

If I was a democrat and voting in the primary I would vote for president Obama. I was rooting for Hillary Clinton in the last primary to win. But from what I hear from Woodward's book we stand a better chance of leaving Afghanistan than we would with Hillary Clinton as president. I would love to see Obama and Clinton on the same ticket and Joe Biden as secretary of state. That would make a very strong ticket.

October 4, 2010 at 3:53 pm |
  49. Paul P.

October 4, 2010 at 3:56 pm |
  50. chris

the answer is c the republican who is running against them one of them

October 4, 2010 at 3:58 pm |
  51. george summers

Becareful not to be politically incorrect/honest or you could go the way of Lou & Rick. love your work

October 4, 2010 at 3:59 pm |
  52. e.j. in tacoma

Jack,
    Hillary would be crazy to put herself through that kind of campaigning again. She would not have the ammunition of Barack Obama not having experience this this time. I think he's been fully vetted. Besides I think she's doing a great job as secretary of state Hillary Clinton. In answer to the question I would definitely support President Obama another term no matter who challenged him. I think despite the negative political climate President Obama is doing an awesome job especially under the scrutiny of the party of no. Also with the constant bombardment of distortions and false claims by ... ..... We won't mention any names but they seem to have become the voice of the Republican Party.
    Anyway Hillary is great but she would not change my vote.
    E.J. in Tacoma

October 4, 2010 at 4:01 pm |
  53. Brian, Baton Rouge

I'd support Hillary. Hillary is a fighter, which is why the Republicans hated her and called her names.

Just before he gives the Republicans everything they ask for.

October 4, 2010 at 4:01 pm |
  54. Alex

Honestly i have lost complete faith in our goverment. It seems to me that the goverment is working for if not controlled by the corporations. The last real president we had was JFK.

October 4, 2010 at 4:01 pm |
  55. Danny Bucksnort Tn.

That is the easiest question you have ever ask Jack. Neither.

October 4, 2010 at 4:05 pm |
  56. Hubert Bertrand

I think mrs. Clinton have more people in the white house on her side, I think the Rep. party is affraid of her. That is why I'd VOTE for her and ONLY her. Thanks Jack.

October 4, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  57. Dennis from Minneapolis, MN

I'll vote for anyone who can stop the word games and just say it... taxes are going up. If we can find a way to cut spending, great. But right now today this minute, taxes MUST go up. Or we are all going to be broke for the rest of time.

October 4, 2010 at 4:11 pm |
  58. Arnold MI

As it stands right now I would vote for Hillary. President Obama has done a lot of good since he took office, but it appears that he is spending most of his time listening to his affluent millionaire buddies and his economic policies are stalled, mainly because he continues to bailout the business sector, when the recession is at the low income sector. With the large amount of unemployed, underemployed, and poverty we have in this country, consumer spending at the low income levels is at a snails pace and this is dragging the rest of the economy down.

We need stimulus where it will do some good. When you bailout the millionaires, the stimulus money will end up in tax deferred investment accounts when it should be circulating through the economy.

I can't say Hillary would do any better since her and Bill made $100 million in 10 years, but it could be the change we have been waiting for, and anything is an improvement over what the "party of no" has to offer.

October 4, 2010 at 4:13 pm |
  59. Dave

I supported Obama last time, I would support Hillary this time. Obama's double talk and promises to fix everything were just that, talk. His health care plan is going to be disasterous.

October 4, 2010 at 4:14 pm |
  60. David in Tampa

Jack. I would have to listen to the talking head points and poll driven policy statements from both to make some kind of ill informed decision. As an Independent in Florida I cannot vote in primaries. However, in any general election I would more than likely vote for either of them versus the vast majority of the Republicans. I don't like either major party in this country and would just as soon as vote for someone not affiliated with the Democrats or Republicans.

October 4, 2010 at 4:16 pm |
  61. john .... marlton, nj

By far Hillary ... I am Repub and if GOP sends another bum like McCain or some right wing extremist to run .. I might even vote for Clinton ...

Instead of these half baked political hacks we've been electing (on both sides) this country needs heavy duty leadership ( and I am not available...yet) so in the interim we need a middle of the roader. Sadly, we are at a point where Hillary is middle of the road ... I can't beleive I just said that ..Hillary ..

October 4, 2010 at 4:17 pm |
  62. Sohil

Hillary all the way!!!
    It's time we had a real leader in the white house

October 4, 2010 at 4:17 pm |
  63. George from South Florida

I don't think she would do it. She' proven to be a loyal team player and she seems to be happy in this juncture of here career. What does she have to prove ?

October 4, 2010 at 4:18 pm |
  64. Susan from Idaho

Hilary is a smart woman. No one in their right mind would want to work with the idiots on either side of the aisle. What joke our representatives are. She won't win, because she is too smart to run.

October 4, 2010 at 4:19 pm |
  65. Chad from Los Angeles

I would still support Obama, but she won't challenge him. What Obama should do is have Hillary and Joe Biden switch roles for the next 4 years... We all know Biden will never become president, but Hillary would be the best choice after Obama's 2nd term, so make her the VP so she can transition easier to president in 2016.

October 4, 2010 at 4:19 pm |
  66. Michael

Obama 2012. Clinton 2016. Win.

October 4, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
  67. Linda

I think it would be a great idea for HIllary Clinton to run. Since we don't know who the republicans will be putting on the ballot and we certainly don't want Obama, Hillary Clinton would be a good alternative for Independents. Go for it Hillary.

October 4, 2010 at 4:23 pm |
  68. Dennis north Carolina

Obama/Clinton would be the best ticket. Hilary vs Obama is a unlikely situation.

October 4, 2010 at 4:27 pm |
  69. Kate West

I would have liked to have seen Hillary take the top spot. I find her to be more of a thinker and less of a want to be rock star. I think money paid for the current presidency and continues the strong partisanship that is hurting America today.

October 4, 2010 at 4:30 pm |
  70. Gail, Plano TX

I love Hillary Clinton but I would definitely support President Obama for re-election in 2012. It's much too early to speculate like this. Slow news day, Jack?

October 4, 2010 at 4:34 pm |
  71. KDS Irvine, CA

Neither Jack,
    They both are bad politicians. Besides, if Hillary decided to run against the president, she would not even get the party's nomination. A sitting president always receives their parties nomination.

October 4, 2010 at 4:34 pm |
  72. honest John in Vermont

I have not been thrilled with Obama, but I find the current crop of Republicans repugnent so for me Hillary very well could get mey vote and many others.

October 4, 2010 at 4:34 pm |
  73. Jerry Johns Creek, GA

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate Barack Obama as a i and Hillary Clinton is 100% better than Barack Obama so she would come in as a 2. This leaves lots of room for those potential candidates who would score from 3 to 10.

October 4, 2010 at 4:34 pm |
  74. Alan Watson

If I had too I would vote for Hillary unless a strong Republican candidate emerged. Hillary has much experience and I do not think she would have suggested many of these policies that the President and Congress have passed. She is strong with the Military and her voice is respected around the world. She also has credibility with the business community which is a big plus. Again unless a Strong Republican Candidate surfaces I would have to vote for Hillary

October 4, 2010 at 4:36 pm |
  75. Janice Bunch, Fayetteville, Arkansas

I doubt that Hillary Clinton will challenge the President. However, I would enjoy a debate between Clinton and Sarah Palin if they are the nominees. Clinton would show Palin no mercy!

October 4, 2010 at 4:36 pm |
  76. sheila

Even though I like Hilary, Obama would have my vote. They're both working hard and doing a good job and should stay put.

October 4, 2010 at 4:37 pm |
  77. Jimmy in Greenville, NC

Jack, at this point Hillary. I think she is more determined and definitely has more experience than Obama. President Obama can't even get the Democratic support in Congress. I don't think we can afford to wait.

October 4, 2010 at 4:38 pm |
  78. Remo, from beautiful downtown Pflugerville Texas

Neither, the Second Amendment would be put in peril.

October 4, 2010 at 4:39 pm |
  79. James in Idaho

That depends Jack, is she going to keep spouting nonsense about the boys club in washington or is she going to unhitch here wagon from the past and just move forward?

Quite frankly, as much as we're ticked off about the same old same old business in washington, we're equally ticked off about the family dynasties that come along with family baggage, and we haven't the ability to charge extra for each new bag like the airlines do. Mrs. Clinton is doing an exemplary job as Secretary of state, and it's my hope that the next pres, whoever that may be, keeps her on as such.

That's the funny thing about politics in America; it's a lot like running a school or a motel. You know the owner of the motel or the principal is the boss, but the one you shoudl really be talkign to is the janitors.

October 4, 2010 at 4:39 pm |
  80. Tina Tx

I would prefer to vote for her husband, Bill. Between the two I would vote agan for Obama. Hilary is past it

October 4, 2010 at 4:40 pm |
  81. Jim

Jack,

There's no chance that would happen. I'm still holding out hope that Clinton and Biden will switch jobs in 2012 with Hillary running in 2016 as the incumbent VP.

Jim
    Reno, Nevada

October 4, 2010 at 4:40 pm |
  82. Maria

for me, it all rests on what Obama gets done in the next 2 years. I could see myself voting for Clinton, but I'd much rather see her as head of DOD.

Maria

Brunswick,MD

October 4, 2010 at 4:41 pm |
  83. Tony Banguel

I love the Clintons, but I will still choose the Obamas. I am just not ready for another one family destiny, for the next 4 or 8 years. We already had the father/son combo (Bush) we don't need another family combo (Clinton), no matter how qualified she is... This is American, not just two powerful family eying to have the power of the presidency.

October 4, 2010 at 4:42 pm |
  84. Joe in VA

I'd support Hillary without reservation. She is experienced and tough and I do not believe she would be the constant target of the right as is President Obama, who is wrong no matter what he does.Maybe there would be a little more peace here at home. Bill C remains enormously popular, even among independents like me.

Chatham, VA

October 4, 2010 at 4:43 pm |
  85. Carl

Jack,
    I wouldn't vote for either of them, they both are for full amnesty instead of enforcing our existing illegal immigration laws.

October 4, 2010 at 4:45 pm |
  86. Tim in Texas

Slow news day, Jack? I think what people are wondering is how many people are going to go out and vote for TP/GOP candidates who want to make abortion illegal for women who were raped, believe that there are mice who have fully developed human brains, want to 'phase out' social security and medicare, threaten that the electorate will resort to 'second amendment remedies' if they are not elected, wouldn't have voted for the 1964 civil rights act, or who email out photos of acts of bestiality. What we're wondering is how crazy is the country now – not what it's going to do in two years.

October 4, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
  87. Jack - Lancaster, Ohio

Sir:

Gee Jack, with regard to an iffy story that certainly is very low on the Totem Pole, is CNN going to seek non-issue stories like this, just like congress which instead of acting on real issues, finally knocked em dead on the TV acoustic-volume deal......YAWN !

October 4, 2010 at 4:49 pm |
  88. Gary W. Fuller

I'd vote for Hillary in a heartbeat. She should have gotten the nomination in 2008, but it seems that Barack Obama's oratory put Ms. Clinton behind. I believed then she was more qualified, and now with her outstanding performance at the State Department, she will be even better qualified. The question has to be who is best for our country, and...who can beat a Republican candidate. At this point, I don't see President Obama as being able to beat a Republican—but I think Hillary can. Oh, one other thing...I don't think Hillary Clinton would challenge Obama—she'd run if he chooses not to run.

Gary
    Vienna, VA

October 4, 2010 at 4:50 pm |
  89. stephanie

I'm an independent voter and I will support Hillary clinton

October 4, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
  90. Michael Gonzales

I dont like either as a Republican but I think Hillary woulnt surround herself with crazy radicals at every turn like our current president and might actually attempt too negotiate with the Republicans and not just call them the Party of No when they dont go along with your agendas.

October 4, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
  91. Buster in Poughkeepsie, NY

Having to pick between the suit and the skirt is a tough call Jack. Okay, if I'm forced to make an early call, I'll take the suit...I'm voting for Hillary.

October 4, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
  92. Moe Dallas TX

I think this would be the best step to recovery..She is Sec of State because President Obama knows nothing about foreign affairs so that makes her way ahead of Obama and all the Republicans !! I really feel She has the ability to the fear so many of feel now with this administration.

October 4, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  93. Nancy, Tennessee

If Hillary were to run against Obama again, I'd have to be behind her but I think that is an unlikely scenario. Hillary campaigned her heart out the last time and it showed on her face. When it was over she looked fatigued. It's too demanding and costly to her own finances to do it again. Besides she has more important things to look forward to now, like grandchildren.

October 4, 2010 at 4:59 pm |
  94. JENNA

I would support Obama in a heart beat. Even with all the obstruction by the GOP, Obama has delivered and continues to deliver.

Why? Because Clinton hasn't been able to deliver an Equal 2 State Solution between the Israelis and Palestinians. She couldn't get the Iranians to adhere to the IAEA. She couldn't get Israel to adhere to the IAEA. Frankly what has she done?

Obama 2012!

Jenna
    Roseville CA

October 4, 2010 at 4:59 pm |
  95. Raymond Hunsbarger

I would vote for Hillary Clinton. She would be the president of the United States had Oprah not campaigned and backed Obama.

October 4, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
  96. Linda in Arizona

Neither one of them. I would support the true progressive, Alan Grayson, and I hope he runs. Obama and Hillary are both warmongers, and about as progressive as Attila the Hun.

October 4, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
  97. Gigi Oregon

If Hillary Clinton challenged Pres. Obama in 2012 the American people would be surprised. She is doing a great job where she is.. I think she is more mature than you give her credit. You must have her mixed up with Sara Palin. She the one who quites in the middle when something bigger comes up. If he resigned,...yes, I'd vote for her. Who wants to go back to the party of NO unless it's a war. Those of us still in our right minds are giving credit to President Obama for doing more for the people in 18 months than the Republican did in eight years. Unless you think doubling the national debt and going to war in the wrong country counts for a plus.

October 4, 2010 at 5:03 pm |
  98. Ben from Boston

Jack,

If the Dems lose one or both houses of Congress and IF President O. stays on the same course anyway, then yes I will fill the bill and vote for Hill.

October 4, 2010 at 5:03 pm |
  99. Brandon

Do your statistics imply that only 37 percent of those polled qualify as "less-educated". If Hillary picks up most of the "uneducated" votes, her share of the polled votes should be in the 80+ percentage range.

October 4, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
  100. Paul in New Port Richey, Fl

Jack, your question conjures up a situation of a man standing at the wall in front of a firing squad and being asked if he wants a blindfold or not. Either way, this doesn't end well.

October 4, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
  101. John, Fort Collins,CO

Although President Obama still has two years to prove what he might be capable of, at this point I would go with Hillary Clinton for President in 2012. As a strong anti-Hillary person in the last go around, it galls me to admit it, but I am now convinced she was correct in saying Barack Obama lacked her level of experience for the job.

October 4, 2010 at 5:05 pm |
  102. Paula in Albuquerque

I never thought that I could say such a thing...but, against Obama, I could support Mrs. Clinton, with a smile, on my face...

October 4, 2010 at 5:05 pm |
  103. katiec Pekin, IL

Without a doubt, President Obama.
    He has done the best job he can when you weigh in all the propaganda, obstruction the republicans have applied these last 22 months.
    Hillary is doing an ok job in what she is doing, but, as the voters proved, do not think she has what it takes to be presidential material. Her becoming a republican for a short time by resorting to very negative campaigning was her downfall.

October 4, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
  104. Annie, Atlanta

I don’t see that kind of match-up happening again. Besides, how do we know the President would want another go at trying to fix this mess while the entirety of the GOP is out to destroy him. I wouldn’t want it.

October 4, 2010 at 5:10 pm |
  105. Gary H. Boyd

If the choice were simply between the two I'd pick Clinton. But, since the Republicans will hopefully have a candidate in the race with an intelligence quotiient at least equal to that of a trained ape, I'll go with the Republican.

Gary Boyd in Scottsdale, Arizona

October 4, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  106. JONIQUE

Cafferty, your comment- "his approval ratings could go lower" tells me where you are in regards to President Obama.I have been reading your column quite often. Why did you not also say, his ratings could go lower or higher? do you want our president to fail? Why all of thesenegative comments all of the time? Please go back thru your questions and ask yourself– are you being fair to our President?Are you at least being fair and impartial?
    from a real and fair American

October 4, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  107. Ann Marie from SC

I would support Obama. You say " Depending on the economy and the president's policies... it's possible his approval rating could sink further." It is also possible Obama's approval rating could improve, depending on the economy and the president's policies.

October 4, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  108. James in San Diego

Hilary, if Obama does not change course and acknowledge the professional left.

October 4, 2010 at 5:18 pm |
  109. Michael n Seattle

first of all shes not going to but since you ask I'd still vote for Obama
    now 2016 I think she and Biden should team up

October 4, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  110. FH in SC

I would DEFINITELY vote for HILLARY! Never, never again for Obama.
    Once burned, twice smart.

October 4, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  111. Jessie

Hillary! I supported her in 2008, and I'd do it again. Obama doesn't have a clue what he's doing and is dragging all the democrats down with him.

October 4, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  112. Hermila Knutson

I would vote for Hillary Clinton!!!!!!!!

October 4, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  113. Barbara in Maryland

Hillary will not run against Obama, but if she did I'd support Clinton.

October 4, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  114. Anthony

If George W. Bush somehow deserved two terms in office then Obama definitely deserves two terms. Many of the policies Obama has implemented won't even effect anything for at least another five to ten years.

October 4, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  115. Scott Stodden

I Supported Hillary In 2008 And I Keep Saying Over And Over If She Runs Again In 2012 I Definetly Will Vote For Her! It Has Been Proven OVer These Past Two Years That President Obama Is Not Qualified To Answer That Phone At 3 In The Morning! Hillary Knows How To Balance Budgets, Lower Unemployment, Get The Economy Back On Track Its What The Clintons Did In The 90'S And Left Washington With Record Surpluses! Hillary Should Have Been President In 2008 But Everyone Got Sucked In The Obama Fever "First Black President" And Nothing Is Happening Under President Obama That Is Good For The Country! We Need Hillary In 2012 And I Hope And Pray She Does Run In 2012 Because She Will Definetly Be The First Woman President!

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

October 4, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  116. Joe

I don't think this will happen but I wish it would. I voted for Hillary in 2008, and I'd love the chance to vote for her again. She is the best hope for the future of this country.

October 4, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  117. Len Forster

Without any doubt, Hillary was right when she said she was ready to answer the phone when it rings at 300 a.m. She is and has been far more qualified than President Obama to be the president.

At this point in time, we need the most qualified person available to serve as president, and Hillary Clinton is unquestionably the most qualified possible candidate from either party.

October 4, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  118. april

Hands down.....Hillary Clinton!!!!

October 4, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  119. jim&ceil FtMyersFL

HILLARY, HILLARY, HILLARY – just as it should have been the first time around!

October 4, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  120. daniel conklin

I would definitely vote for Clinton over BO. Dump the progressives.

October 4, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  121. Ed in Los Angeles

I voted for Mrs. Clinton the first time around, and I would do it again for 2012.

October 4, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  122. E from Tx

I like Hillary but she ran I'd see it as an underhanded move and could not support her.

October 4, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  123. Anthony from NJ

Hilliary would stand a better chance of waiting because if she divides the party during the crucial presidential elections she stands to hand the keys of the Oval Office to Sarah Palin. The repercussions would devastate what little influence the democratic party still holds.
    They're both liberals and that doesn't resonate in these ultra-right times. So to split the party would be suicidal. Obama will be lucky to just get by and Hilliary wouldn't stand a chance.

October 4, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  124. Debbie

Barack Obama is one brightest minds in politics. He has pushed his agenda, but the republicans have blocked every move he makes. I'm disappointed we are still involved in wars, but overall I love the man.

October 4, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  125. Marie

Hillary was my first choice in the past election and I would absolutely support her if she decides to run again. We need someone like her to keep tohose darn republicans in line.

October 4, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  126. Venus

Hillary, of course! She should have been the choice in 2008.
    Orlando, Fla

October 4, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  127. James Sizemore

I would vote for Hillary.

October 4, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  128. Matt, Little Rock

Hillary Clinton is certainly the most qualified person in position to run for president. Despite this, I am an anti-dynasty moderate. I think she would be an excellent president, but, as Bill is a former president, I could not support her should she run, based on my opposition to political dynasties.

October 4, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  129. Carolyn Hanes

Hiilary was my choice in the last election. She would be my choice in the next election. Did she really say she wouldn't run next time? Say it ain't so Hillary! You are the shot in the arm this country desperately needs!

October 4, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  130. carol

I would most certainly vote for Hillary Clinton. She should have been the candidate in 08. The country would have so much better off with her! More experience and more moderate!

October 4, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  131. Benjamin Cisco

I would support Secretary Clinton in 2012 over President Obama. Being a die hard democrat and a 2008 Clinton supporter I believe that under another Clinton administration we would have more economic surplus and more people employed in the United States just as we did under the Bill Clinton Administration in the 90s. Although another run for president is very unlikley, as for me and the people of the great state of West Virginia it would be a dream come true.

CLINTON 2012

October 4, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  132. JC

I would vote for Hillary Clinton. I think that her experience would be extremely valuable in the position of president.

October 4, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  133. Bryan from Philadelphia

I voted for Hillary in the primaries and I will vote for her again. I love Hillary Clinton. She is so smart. Hillary is the most qualified person to run America.

I voted for Obama in the general election because I am a pro choice and gay loving young liberal.

I would rather vote for my dog than a republican.

Hillary 2016

October 4, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  134. RJ

I was for Obama the whole way. I am afraid I will go with Clinton. Obama will need to prove that he deserves that second term.

October 4, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  135. Barbara Scheidker

I would love a chance to vote for Hillary again. She has been such a great representative of this country and I trust her to have both the experience and the vision that a president needs.

October 4, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  136. Thom Richer

Not sure I would vote for Mrs. Clinton over Mr. Obama but I would vote for her if she ran against someone other than Obama. Hope she is our first woman president sometime.

Thom Richer
    Negaunee, MI

October 4, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  137. John

Clinton – While I did not vote for Obama, I was hopeful that when he took office he would actually do what he promised – to change Washington and govern from the middle. Instead he abdicated his Presidential role to Pelosi and the rest of the Congressional leadership. When it comes to domestic policy we still have the Junior Senator from Illinois sitting in the White House pretending to lead the country. Thank goodness Obama has Gates at DOD and Clinton at State to stand up to Congress and keep those critical departments operating well.

October 4, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  138. fred harris

hillary would not run against the president, she is too much of a pary supporter, she would rather see the party united than split

October 4, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  139. Paul DeKeyser

Easy Choice. Hillary. Our country would be in much better shape if she was president. Obama has been unproductive, and the country is hurting. Hillary has the respect of world leaders and has done a great job as Secretary of State. Watch for her to resign after the November elections and then start her campaign. She will defeat Obama, maybe he wont even run, easily.

October 4, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  140. Jack B

I do not picture Hillary Clinton running against President Obama undeer any circumstances. And concur that her better roll would be as Vice President if she even wanted that position. So, the question is really moot. I would vote for Barak Obama and so would most of the rest of the nation if his opponent is Sarah Palin.

October 4, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  141. James

Clinton, I never wanted Obama anyway.

October 4, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  142. Fred

I would support Hillary Clinton !

October 4, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  143. Larry From Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hillary, all the way! I supported her before and never had much confidence in Obama. She has the experience, he does not. He can't handle the world of politics. He doesn't know when he needs to put up a fight. People are moved by emotion. She has it, he doesn't!

October 4, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  144. sherry Cooper

Definitely support Hillary, she's always stayed the course and performed in a very professional, cool, collected manner and with her experience in foreign affairs should be the intelligent choice for president.
    At this time, she is the only viable woman candidate for President!! Thanks for asking, Jack!!

October 4, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  145. James R. Buch

You are asking the wrong question. The question is....
    Will the 2012 ticket be Obama and Hillary Clinton? If
    this is the ticket, it will be the strongest ticket I have
    ever seen.
    James Buch

October 4, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  146. Gloria

This is such a ridiculous question this early on. President Obama's approval ratings are low , so was Clinton's at this point, so was Reagan's, and they both went on to second terms. As you said Jack, his ratings could "go lower"..BUT, they could also GO UP!! So stop this attempt to plant some subversive ideas about Hillary in 2012. The only i possibility for her in 2012 would be a shot at being on the ticket as Obama's Vice President!

October 4, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  147. Patricia of Missouri

I never cared for Hilary Clinton, but anything would be better than Obama. I just can't imagine why anyone voted for Obama, unless they beleived everything he said or thought they would get free entitlements.
    Do these people not research canidates. You can't beleive the media.

October 4, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  148. Diane C.

Although I like Obama and wish him well, I would definitely vote for Hilary. More experience and a better working knowledge of Washington. Plus, Bill Clinton's input woud be there, regardless of whatever denials they make.

October 4, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  149. Jane Lewis

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd ever say this, but I'd vote for Hilary Clinton.

October 4, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  150. Sherrie S. Cutler A.I.A.

Obama is the best President that this country has had in many generations, so of course I will be voting for him. By the time of the election the "immediate gratification" demands of an electorate that wants what they want now, will have seen that correcting 8 years of Bush excesses of war and Wall St. cannot be corrected over-night... and they will vote for Obama again as well.

October 4, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  151. C Brown

I would vote for President Obama. I will vote for Hillary Clinton after Obama finsihes his second term in office.

October 4, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  152. Ray

There is no reason to take a minute or longer to ponder this question. Hilary Clinton, a simple solution to a simple question. I wouldn't blame her for jumping off the Obamatanic before it hits an iceberg and sinks the country, resting at the bottom of a senseless ocean next to the USS George W. Bush.

October 4, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  153. Jason Hart in Miami

I don't see Hillary challenging Obama for the nomination. I supported Hillary in 2008; and feel Obama erred in making too many promises that he wasn't able to keep. In 2012, I cannot see how Obama could win a 2nd term, unless he asked Hillary to run with him as VP. Then he could have a very good shot. Hillary brings added strength to an Obama 2nd term. I'd vote for that, otherwise, I won't be voting for him again.

October 4, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  154. Vincent Van Bramer

If Secretary Hilary Clinton were to challenge President Obama in 2012, I would support Secretary Clinton. In my estimation, she has demonstrated greater abilities in the past two years while President Obama has done less so. The Secretary has shown to be an effective statesperson with a high degree of intelligence and diplomacy. And, incidentally, I would love to see a woman elected to the presidency of the U. S., especially one who appears to be highly capable.

from Kingston, NY

October 4, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  155. June Rozniak

Imagine the next election: Could the hapless Republicans strive for
    position and offer up the inigma of Sarah Palin? If so, I'm sure Obama could shake off the fleas and take her on. But what better way for the Democrats to offer up a bright, intelligent, world traveled (with
    best "first dude" than Bill Clinton. Come on-that's something to dream
    about. I think most would throw Obama to the wolves....not his fault...
    not even Jesus could fix the Bush mess.

June Rozniak
    Bluffton, South Carolina

October 4, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  156. Tim Bueneman

I would support Obama. I believe he is getting a bumb rap. It is SO easy to forget what a mess we had when he took office. Things are moving – albeit slowly – in the right direction. I believe time will prove him a very effective leader.

Tim Covington, WA (near Seattle)

October 4, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  157. Jane C.

I would support Hillary in a heartbeat!

October 4, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  158. Omar

Of course I'll support Obama, and the dumbest thing that the democrats might do is letting that happen. Clinton, if run, will look like a typical women using Obama's low approval rate! Yes typical!

October 4, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  159. Todd

But then again, I cant even spell her name correctly so Who am I ?

October 4, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  160. Jim Blevins

Clinton won't challenge Obama, she has what she wants, foreign affairs and she doesn't have to deal with the economy. If she were so foolish, I would certainly vote for Obama. Despite Republican spin, Obama has done a better job of handling the economy than anyone else could have. How quickly people forget what an impossible mess he inherited.

Jim, Craig, CO

October 4, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  161. Carrie /Alabama

I like them both , I supported Clinton before O'bama , but now would still support O'Bama at this point but depends on where the economy is at that point....both are intelligent enough to do the job unlike what is being offered from the GOP!

October 4, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  162. Henry Casch

Obama-Clinton in 2012!!!

Drop Biden, Groom Hillary for 2016. Biden is a solid Democrat who is not electable to the White House. Clearly, except for Obama, Hillary would be sitting in the Oval Office. She is electable. Her experience as SecState gives her the Foreign Policy credentials that she lacked. Her support of Obama in 2012 would make her THE Democratic pick 2016 and the first woman President.

October 4, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  163. Gloria Martinez

With out a doubt...it would be Hillary!! She was the only candidate running in 08 that maybe had a chance of cleaning up some of this mess....she has proven her intellect handling all of the foreign affairs that have bee shoved at her and is definitely much more knowledgeable than Obama...she won the popular vote in 08 and really should be our President now. I'm happy now that she has not had to put up with all of the mess though that Bush left behind.

October 4, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  164. Frances McCranie

I would absolutely support Hillary. She was much better prepared and had far more experience than Obama in the last election. Obama should have bided his time and run at a later date. We needed her experience. The country would be much better off with her in the White House now.
    I'm a Republican, but she would have my vote.

October 4, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  165. Linda

Kansas
    I would vote for Hillary. I felt she was the better candidate last time.

October 4, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  166. Allen

Jack, you must be kidding? Hillary is a far more superior candidate for President in 2012. Hope & Change has not worked out too well. Give experience and leadership a chance, our country needs it.

October 4, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  167. Ramsey Llewellyn

I would support Hillary Clinton. She would be president today if it hacn`t been for John Edwards. She would have an "adult" cabinet and a very good advisor in her husband. An economic team that totally failed and is being replaced after 2 years is just one example of Obamas` lack of appointing the right people to handle the problems this country faces.

October 4, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  168. Mary from San Antonio Tx

I am a Replublican but I would vote for Hillary.

October 4, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  169. X-JeseryGuy

Hillary had my support her first time around and would have it in a heartbeat if she was to run again!

October 4, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  170. Lauretta

I supported Hillary from the onset because I knew of all the bunch both Democrats and Republican, she had what it took to make a success of America. I am proud of her and would support her run in 2012.

October 4, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  171. Carlos

As a black man I am thrilled that our country has progressed to the point that we have elected a presidnt that is black, having said that I feel that Hilary Clinton has the politcal capital to be more effctive were she president. Dream team. . . Clinton/Powell!

October 4, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  172. Janice wynn

Ivoted for Obama before and will vote for him again.I will vote for any dem to keep those angry, hate-filled republicans out!!!

October 4, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  173. Chris

Get them both out. All they are good for is spend and tax.

October 4, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  174. John A. Sindal

Jack, I am a Republican register voter – but I will vote for Hillary Clinton for President in 2012.

John A. Sindal
    San Diego, CA.

October 4, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  175. Jesse Langmade

If Clinton were to challenge Obama in 2012, I would definitely support Obama. Obama has long term goals for the future of the United States, and I believe these goals can be a reality given the proper amount of time. I don't believe that four years is enough time to reform Heal Care, achieve a victory in Iraq/Afghanistan, and bring about economic recovery. It's not to say that Clinton and Obama have completely different agendas, but I believe that the best way to solve these issues is to be patient with the man with the plan.

- Jesse
    St. Paul, MN

October 4, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  176. Bernie Washee

clinton must be having a good i told you so laugh, and yes she told me so and i didn't listen, but since Obama has been in office i'm listening

bernie washee
    pryor oklahoma

October 4, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  177. Leslie

Here you go again Jack although the question is amusing at best its' mostly divisive. Mrs. Clinton is doing an Amazing job as Secretary of state. If I were her I would not run for President ( Not to say she wouldn't make a great President because she would) I would rather she replace Biden as VP to solidify her place in history as a great first lady, Secretary of state and Vice President I think that resume holds more respect among the voters than just running for President because you can and you have a good chance to win. I will not answer the question on who I would vote for. They are both head and shoulders above anything the republicans have to offer.

October 4, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  178. M. Nichols

Barack Obama, like Sarah Palin are not Presidential, he is into self as is she, the two make politics a joke. Hilary should have won the Democratic Primary and election in 08' I will definitely vote for her. I am a conservative however I believe she would be good for the Country, she has proven she has the ability to lead, expert on foreign policy is not willing to bow to the terrorists as Obama has. Hilary has my respect!

October 4, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  179. Vish Ayengar

It is not right to challenge an incumbent president in one's own party. I have not forgiven Ted Kennedy for challenging President Carter. I support Hillary but hope she won't challenge President Obama.

Vish Ayengar [pronounced uh-young-are]

Wappingers Falls NY

October 4, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  180. Frank in Indiana

She won't. Every time that happens the ticket loses. Look at Ford and Reagan.

October 4, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  181. Jack Dermody

Obama for sure. Not only will he be positioned in history after 2016 alongside Madison, Jefferson and Lincoln, but will be hailed as the leader who brought small businesses to full potential, who healed the economy, who brought affordable healthcare to an entire nation, who reformed education, who dealt fairly with immigration, and who left the nation stronger and smarter than at any time in history. And you can be sure international respect for America will have returned.

October 4, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  182. Arkansas Native

Neither. I am fed up with all Democrats. Republicans, all the way, or until the Democrats get their acts together. It's OUR money not theirs. I have not seen ANY candidate in ANY state that I would vote for. Sadly, it is now not who your voting for, but rather who your voting against.

October 4, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  183. Brad

Yes, I would support her if she did run.
    Brad from Fort Payne, AL

October 4, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  184. Dan E Warmack

Ideally, Obama with a work with me congress and not a "best congress money can buy."

October 4, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
  185. Lolita Romaguera

President O'Bama would get my vote AGAIN!

October 4, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  186. English

I will stand by President Obama. I watched as America stood by President Bush. 8 years went by with the US being thown into a war we didn't want and into debt we didn't deserve. Obama has only been productive in the short time he has been in office. Our complaint is he's not working fast enough. My responce. . . . but he's working and in our best intrest. Rome wasn't built in a day and our jobs weren't lost over night. Just as the Clintons'.

October 4, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  187. Margaux

OBAMA ALL THE WAY BABY! Don't count him out. We Democratic just don't have the time to sit and take surveys all day long. We're in the true working class that have to take care of our families. But we will get out and VOTE. Were most Republican Party have house wifes or retired people within the party that can afford to sit at home and survey all day long for their families.

October 4, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
  188. Dick B

I believe we will get a chance to vote for both in 2012. I expect Joe Biden to resign and Hillary to become vp choice. This will unite the Democrats and energize their base.

October 4, 2010 at 5:36 pm |
  189. Buster in Poughkeepsie, NY

Good Lord Jack, having just perused the reaction to this blog post, I'd say Bill can get out his handy tape measure and start measuring the drapes.

October 4, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  190. Ann in PA

Hillary!!! It would be the easiest and fastest vote ever for me! Actually, I'd like a Hillary Clinton/Wes Clark ticket (they both would make great Presidents). Two extremely intelligent people. They are the ones that would really make positive CHANGE for our country! They would also have the respect of leaders around the world.

October 4, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  191. Paula in Albuquerque

Obama has proven, as did Jimmy Carter before him, that, literally, ANYBODY can become President! Now that the point has been made...it is time for Mrs. Clinton's experience...working knowledge of
    Washington, and the world...plus, her sheer courage...to assume the reins of power...and, whip the country, back into shape.

October 4, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  192. English

I'm standing by Obama. America had become such a I want it now nation that no one is going to please us. They stood by Bush and watched contently while he destroyed our economy and killing our kids needlessly. President Obama has only been productive. Working to get us on track. Working to get jobs. Rome wasn't built in a day and our jobs weren't lost under Obama 2 years. To find the root of job losses we would have to ask the clinton's and china.

October 4, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  193. Mario (Phoenix, AZ)

That's easy...Obama! A political move like that on Hillary's part would cement for me what I've always suspected of her: An unprincipled woman devoid of morality who would do anything to be President, including public cheating by her husband. But you already know that, Jack! As always, your questions are architected to expose the character flaws of Democrats...

October 4, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  194. Wood

Obama! Why even pose the hypothetical?

October 4, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  195. Pat Long

As a firm believer in the Clintons and strong supporter of Hillary, she most positively would have my vote. She has great approval of her current work as Secretary of State and I am poorly impressed with where Obama has brought us although he was smart enough to go to her for training and he got that all during the campaign. Some of us think she gave in for a promise that he would get health care legislation passed.
    t
    Thanks for asking

October 4, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  196. Metalworker

To many ifs I would choose from whoever gets the nominatoin. If Hillary were on the ticket, than more than likly. Ask a realistice question. Would I vote for Hillary over Pailon. Ha in a heartbeat Metalworker

October 4, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  197. Mitch Dworkin - Dallas, Texas

I would support Hillary because I think that she is tougher than Obama, she will not take any crap from fringe Republican bullies, and she would be able to connect her message with most voters which is something that Obama is having a very hard time doing.

October 4, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  198. judith woyak

Feel Obama isn't being given a fair chance to get his choice's he is proposing going in the short time he has been in office. Our former President didn't work for us little guys. All the money being spent on these tiring companies could be put to use helping some of those losing their homes and putting food on their tables. I Am so sick of hearing the No's coming from the Republicans , and also the way they twist the truth to their likings. The Truth will set you free.

October 4, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  199. RonC

Look she had her shot...she's lucky to have the job she does, reaching for the stars simply isn't in her stars – she (and we) would be better off asking her husband to run again.

October 4, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  200. ellen

Easy question. I supported Hillary in 2008, and would without question suport her in 2012

October 4, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  201. Ed Sioui

I would support Hillary I should've have agains Obama and to Hillary All I can say is "I'm sorry!! you WERE right, he can't handle the job! (of course neither can most Dems in Congress!) and you can bet your last dollar after what the Repubs did to Hilalry when she tried health care LAST time when she got done with it we'd have a public option at LEAST! So Go Hillary! THIS Time you got MY support as Obama if useless!

October 4, 2010 at 5:51 pm |
  202. Mary

HILLARY! she should have won last time.

October 4, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  203. emma texas

obama 2012 hilary 2016 chelsea 2024 sasha obama 2032

October 4, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  204. Dolly NJ

I would never vote for Obama again! After his administration has called Liberals nasty names, and his continuing the Bush policies and continuing with the same people that were In Bush's administration..This so called (by the Obama Adminitration,) Drug addicted professional Liberal will stay home before I would vote for Obama again!
    Hillary has Class and smarts and she is experienced . Obama is none of the above!

October 4, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  205. Sue

This is easy. Obama will need his second term to accomplish his agenda. Nobody having to deal with this congress can really accomplsh much in 4 yrs. and Hillary is too smart to want it.

October 4, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  206. Jim in Florida

I'd vote for any body but Obama in fact I am! Thanks to Obama this registered democrat is voting republican across the board just to make Obama a lame duck president and put a stop to his poison policies!

October 4, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  207. Mike, NH

At least Hillary isn't outright dangerous.

October 4, 2010 at 5:57 pm |